Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what you really miss podcasts. The most exciting episode ever.
Speaker 2: I'm Jenna, I'm Kevin, and this week Britney Spears.
Speaker 1: It's Britney Bitch.
Speaker 2: This episode, I am shocked. It was episode two of season two. We were coming in hot, coming and swinging, take no prisoners.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited for this episode to talk about this episode for so many reasons, Kevin, so many too. Let's just let's talk to me.
Speaker 2: I feel like at the time, because Britney Spears in the world of Britney Spears, she had just been through a lot, which happens we address in the episode. But I do feel like we were not in a position to talk about the experience of having her on set no and shooting this episode. So I'm excited. I think for the first time any of us will really talk about what this experience was actually like.
Speaker 1: And also because of all the happenings with her life and the conservatorship and like getting out of it and everything that was going on with her, it feels like things are clear, things make sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, hindsight absolutely is twenty twenty. Yes, when it comes to this, because we were a bit confused. Yeh, what was happening?
Speaker 1: Well, let's just get into it then.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the air date for Brittany Brittany was September twenty eighth, two thy ten. The number one song in the country was Just the Way You Are Abur Bruno mars Okay. Number one movie was Wall Street Money Never Sleeps.
Speaker 1: That was that long ago.
Speaker 2: And a year before on this day, Corey and Amber rang the bell the New York Stock Exchange, which is hilarious.
Speaker 1: I mean that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, like the show had just premiered. That's right, Fox really got poll well. I mean this was after all the pilot had aired. Sot's be fair still crazy. This episode was.
Speaker 1: Directed and technically written by Lady Ryan Murphy, and of course we have two very special guest stars this episode. Britney Spears herself and all of her pop music brilliance and the first of John Stamos as Carl Howell and the Pilsbury's new boyfriend and just the ugliest person alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's terrible, terrible to look at, and he's just so mean. He's not a nice person, so horribly mean. It's a shame and not charming, shocking, you know.
Speaker 1: Not friendly, not not nice, not not just grotesque, just kidding. John Saymoss is the nicest person. When he showed up and said, we were all so starstruck that Uncle Jesse was there, and he was literally our best friend in probably tea Menu is twenty four hours. It was the coolest thing to.
Speaker 2: Hang out with us in our trailers, like he was getting the game together and just shooting the shit, like so like, what's going on? And would tell us stories.
Speaker 1: And well, Kevin, do you remember that when this episode aired where we watched this episode?
Speaker 2: Absolutely tell it, Jenna.
Speaker 1: Okay. So John's like, my friend wants to screen my first episode and for us at his house, So why don't you guys come over? And it was me and Kevin and then we were like great, Like what was there, no problem? I don't know, I don't know. We we can good friends with me though, like I still you know, we still stay in touch with him. And so I don't know why it was you and me, but we went and they gave us. He sent us the address and I must have put it in my infinity car and like into the GPS and I was like.
Speaker 3: I'll pick you up and we drive up the hill.
Speaker 2: We keep driving up the hill. It keeps going to.
Speaker 1: Stop and it's literally like that's the end of the line. And I'm like, Kevin, I think this is wrong. And I so vividly remember you being like seeing the moment of realization being like, no, Jenna, I don't think this is wrong. And we buzzed the gatecode and they let us into the most extravagant home I have ever been to, and it is we find we they open the door and we find it to be Jeff Franklin, who created Full House, and two Golden Retrievers come to greet us at the door, and I'm like, oh, it's Commet Wanting.
Speaker 2: You really have a great memory.
Speaker 1: Oh this is ingrained in my memory because it was so it was like my childhood, like Oprah, Great White House, Great, the Full House creator with the Tanner family is literally I have tears coming to my eyes. It was truly a dream.
Speaker 2: It's also the night I realized to me what defines surreal amounts of wealth because the hallway and that house was so big. I was like, if you can have a hallway that could fit multiple cars.
Speaker 1: Well, also, there's like a full parking garage, so let me just say that there was a valley with a full parking garage. We walk in, there's aquariums everywhere, like down the hall. Jeff's house is amazing. Jeff is also the nicest person. And we get in there. We sit down at dinner. We're gonna have a dinner first, and I'm like, I imagined us like hanging out on somebody's floor. We sat in a full like large dining room table like a la game of throat, and they serve us food and who are we sitting there with? But like the whole cast, main family cast of full House and John forgot to tell us this. Let me rephrase that, Uncle Jesse forgot to tell us that. And it's just so normal. It was so wild, it was so wild. And then they remember they took us downstairs to the.
Speaker 2: Yes, beautiful like extravagant.
Speaker 1: With pop with popcorn fresh popcorn being it was a full episode.
Speaker 2: We went in like if you had watched those Houses and Cribs in the early two thousands, it was one of the just sort of trumps.
Speaker 1: That absolutely so we we go when we watch, it's on a big screen. We're watching the John Steam was his first episode on Glee with the cast of Full House. Like, maybe that's not how some people felt like when they hung out with the Castle Glee or met the Castle Lily, but that's how I felt when I was I literally was texting my brother and he was like, Jenna, are you okay? Are you actually okay? It was a dream come true. And then we went to Jeff's a bunch more after that, and he just for reference, he had the beach Boys come and play in his backyard once at a party. He has this this like lazy river with like three pole a waterfall. I literally lost one of my diamond rings in his pool once and I was like, well it's gone. I'm not asking Jeff to like school always can find my ring, so I'll see you later. And it is the It was the wildest experience. But that will go down in infamy for me, like in history for sure.
Speaker 2: I John Stamos in the Castle House has weird effects on people like that. It was also my boyfriend at the time, Marco. He he had met so many people with me. He had met Diana Ross, like he had met very famous people. He was at the show and he'd come visit all the time. And I was in the bathroom and someone knocks on my trailer door that first week during this episode and he answers it and it's John Stamos, and all I hear is Marco going, oh my god, Hi, my name is Marco Kevin's the bathroom. I just want to say that I've been a big fan of yours. I grew up in Brazil and like we loveful house. No, I have never seen him starstruck, like he didn't know who Danna Ross was when I introduced him, and he just starts blabbering and I come like I flushed the toilet. I'm like I got to get out there and save him, Like what is happening? And I'm like, are you kidding me? Like this is our first week with this guy, and you're embarrassing the shit out of me. But of course John did not care at all.
Speaker 1: But well, also because like John literally can't walk outside without getting recognized and so it it's crazy. John is also like the biggest Disney family. Have to talk to him about that because his house. He took us to Disherland once and it was the most magical experience there and John it was It was really fun though. We had a good time anyway, John's been going a friend. We're so grateful that Uncle Jesse was that cool and he's just literally a gem of a human, so wonderful. We had just the best time every time he came back, and obviously he has lots of fun things to do throughout the season. Let's talk about Brittany.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we do four iconic Britney songs plus a great rendition of a Paramore song that's thrown in there at the end.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that and I was like, oh, so it's not technically a Brittany.
Speaker 2: I remember when we were filming that scene, We're like, so this isn't really a Brittany episode. But it was also just a great rendition of it. And I remember doing really well on iTunes.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, and there were a handful of we all were obviously Brittany fans. We all actually like in the Glee Club when you talk when we were talking about like how we grew up with Brittany, we all did grow with Brittany and she was such an iconic art of our childhood and pop culture obviously, but I was a really huge Britney fan, and so aways Heather Morris, to the point where I had I had magazine cut out of Brittany on each blade of my ceiling fan I had the got milk ad were in her like black tank top and over my light switch, like I cut her out. I had every poster. I saw her multiple times in concert, I saw her in Vegas. I literally lived breathed. My hair was always like styled like hers. I wore. I got all the outfits that she had. I was It was a mild obsession, I would say. And so this was a huge moment.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we were in Phoenix, Arizona setting up our first tour a couple months prior to this. I remember sitting with Ryan. He walked with us to like a little cafe man, it might have been Starbucks actually, and he was like, so, what would you guys think about a Brittany themed episode? And we were like, oh no. He gave us a couple of options, right, he was like, Brittany or somebody, and I forgot what the second choice was. And I just remember you being like Brittany, absolutely, Brittany and you told him how Sesty were with him, and I remember him wanting to like do something good about Brittany because she had been getting so much hate and like shitty shitty press and.
Speaker 3: Well because of all of her like outbursts, you know.
Speaker 2: And so I remember him talking about how it could be interesting and we come back for a season two, maybe we'ld be doing a brit the episode, and I remember we were really looking forward to it and hoping it was Brittany, and then, of course Love and Behold ended up being Brittany. And I remember you and I were living together by this time, and we opened up our scripts to see like who was doing what, and then I remember I saw that I was getting to see saying stronger and I was like, oh no, yep. But I was like, but I get a song think Jenna does, And I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was upset. I didn't get a Britney song, to be honest, but the episode is so good that like whatever, And now I look back and like whatever, I would have loved to do a Britney number, but it's fine.
Speaker 2: What would you have liked to have done?
Speaker 1: I would have loved to do Lucky. Oh God, just like put her in the music video on the flying Moves, you know what I mean, Like, just do it anyway. That's Tina's a dream that she never got to see through. But I love your edition of Stronger, and I know you're very proud of it as well.
Speaker 2: I liked it. I like Ryan really did not care about it what so he's like, I know, it's like, oh, I know you you loved your version of this song. I'm like, I was really Britney Spears meant a lot to us, and I was really set on making sure that I did this rendition proud because and her proud because we grew up on her. I grew up on pop music. And it's the only time I went to like vocal lessons during the run of the show during the season for a specific song because it was really high for me and I wanted to be able to do it, and I wanted to be able to nail it and also just show the people who were working with like I can do this type of music, like this type of singing and try to belt for me. And I remember there was a guy in the studio who was of course Swedish like the rest of them, but he I believed worked under Max Martin, who wrote and produced Stronger in most of Britain's songs, and so it was just me and him in the studio. He was the one actually recording me, as opposed to having Adam in there, which was really strange. I remember they were recording something else and so he had me do it with him, and that made me even more nervous. But it ended up being the fastest recording session because those Max Martin people know exactly what they want and when they got it and.
Speaker 1: Do it right right and then moving on. It's like a good director that like literally gets the table.
Speaker 2: And maybe because I was rehearsed or practiced more, and also I knew this song and I forgot.
Speaker 1: Well that's it, right, Yeah, if we know the songs, like our recording sessions are definitely alone.
Speaker 2: And most of the time I didn't know the song. And so this one I remember going in there and we get to and I've told the story before, but we get to the second verse, and I forgot that we'd have to do the second verse because they had sent me the TV at it, and so I only practiced the short version, and I think I did the second verse. In like three takes, I'm like, oh, I still remember this. I got it. I don't need the lyrics for it. Oh And it was just so much fun, like being a recording studio, getting to sing Britney Spears music like that is the pinnacle of pop perfection, and I was obsessed.
Speaker 1: I will say I get to do a Brittany song later in the seasons, that's true, which we'll talk about lame when we get there. So I did get my Brittany dream, but not this time.
Speaker 2: So for this episode, there's not a lot of that happens story wise, there's not that's much happening. We're just having fun.
Speaker 1: And also like we literally go from a scene and we literally cut to a music.
Speaker 2: Like multi and rapid succession. There's there's not even like music video scene which just introduces music video.
Speaker 1: It's it's amazing, it's I'm you know what, I I didn't care. It didn't matter to you.
Speaker 2: So I think for this episode, because there's not about a story, let's cover that quickly and then let's talk about yeah, the memories more of making making of this episode. So, okay, tell us about this episode, Jenna.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Brittany S Pierce, Rachel Santana, and Artie all go to the dentist because well, aside from Santana, have plaque on their teeth, and they go under and have hallucinations at doctor Carl's and they channel their inner Britney Spears. They live you guys, let me say, you guys, live out your Britney Spears's dreams. Meanwhile, Finn's status on the football team has disrupted his relationship with Rachel. It was actually good when he was off the team, and now he's back on and there's a lot of conflict.
Speaker 2: So that's sort of it. And then there's Britney And basically what happens is the glee club wants to do Britney Spears. Mister Schue is so against it, and I love that he's like really doubling down and doing Christopher Cross music. And Brittany S. Peers is very adamant against doing Britney Spears music because her name is Britney S Piers aka Britney.
Speaker 1: Spears, and she's lived in the shadow of Britney Spears, and she wants the Glee Club to respect that will never do Britney Spears. Kurt also meanwhile, is petitioning hard for Britney Spears because she's been obviously just a legend in our upbringings.
Speaker 2: And this was the in this scene, this was the first of many also viral references or senti and it says, leave Brittany alone. That's obviously a Brittany centric one. But there's also there you go, Bluetooth that nice says later on to me. Those from one of our favorite videos.
Speaker 1: And David at the dentist when Rachel wakes up and says, is this real life? Which we watched over and over and over.
Speaker 2: You've been listening since the beginning. When Ryan is on set, we get to play because he's had Diva in charge and so right he'll throw us lines and allow us to sort of do these things if he finds some funny. And I feel like a lot of this was because he'd be around us, and when I would say, there you go, Bluetooth, I would lose my mind.
Speaker 1: It almost seemed like she was having a hard time saying it with a straight face, also just because she couldn't look at me like, oh my god, it's so funny. It's so funny. There you go bluetooth. So then we have an intertwining storyline with Carl, the dentist who is now dating Emma Pillsbury. He comes to school, well, he wants to talk to the kids about good dental hygiene. Will with you know, kind of intentions of his own is like, Carl, why don't you come talk with the glee club. Carl so happy, he has everybody to the weird gum with the blue teeth and already hemo, Brittany and Rachel all have these blue teeth. What did they put on your teeth to make them blue?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I remember Aaron coming in and literally like putting it on your teeth and we had to not really.
Speaker 2: Like put our lips over it a lot because it would wipe it off, and they kept having to come in between takes to put more blue on our teeth. Just gross, like these kids the bad hygiene was. I was embarrassed.
Speaker 1: So it's funny. It was very funny. I really liked that. So Carl comes and he talks to everybody and obviously you got the blue teeth. So then and we have visitors at the dentist's office, and the first one is Brittany because she has a cavity on every tooth and she breaks into the most iconic I mean, Heather was a huge Brittany family, like huge, huge, huge, huge huge like me. And she gets to do slate for you, which she got to do on tour, and I mean I could watch that number over and over just for Heather's dancing alone. But like then, all the looks that she gets to do are hands down, it's the.
Speaker 3: Coolest thing I ever, like, one of the coolest things we've ever done on the show, I think.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the real snake from the actual performance.
Speaker 1: Well also, not only is it just the real snake, but I asked Heather if she was scared of the snake because in the number, you see the snake kind of crawl onto her mic and so she sent us a little something. Okay, sometimes I think I'm a witch. I don't even think so.
Speaker 4: I think I am really a witch because I was just thinking about the Britain Briny episode today. I mean really, I was cutting my reel together and I was watching part of it. Anyways, Yes, so the snake, I wasn't scared. I was like very excited because I was obviously a fan of the original video, and if Brittany had done it in the video and also live on stage, I could have done it. I also knew that they were like super safe animals. But when we started rolling, the snake decided that my mouth was its home base. So when you saw the take where it was like up on my mic, it actually like kept trying to go in my mouth when I would sing, Like every time I would do the you know, the lip syning part, it was like really trying to get inside my mouth. And yeah, it was being an unroom albino snake for a few takes in and out. Other than that, it was a really good actor and I loved paying the scene with it, and you know, I give all my acting cred to it.
Speaker 1: It did a great job. So yeah, I think that answers your question. I loved it. It was great.
Speaker 4: I would do it a million times over.
Speaker 2: I remember that now it's coming back to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because I saw them and I was like, oh god, that's it was the snake, and obviously the snake wanted to me in Heather's mouth. But Brittany's performance also, I would say Heather's performance in this whole episode, but especially in that first scene, is just a plus. Oh yes, plus, I told her.
Speaker 2: I mean she gets in that red Vinyl outfit from Oops going through the classroom. It's hilarious and so good, and that the little children that sparkle catsuit that she's dancing on Carl. It's just she's so good.
Speaker 1: She's so hot.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's super hot.
Speaker 1: It's hot, and her dancing is so.
Speaker 2: The only thing I'm mad about is that we didn't get to personally like be in those scenes and watch her get to do all these Britney numbers.
Speaker 1: I mean we were in me against the music. They would look really closely, you guys, if you look really closely, we're in one of the picnic table benches things. And in between Ryan would come and hang out with us and we would make him laugh and how there would be practicing her dance moves and it was really funny because we're like, why are we here.
Speaker 2: I remember being in that booth. It was sort of like a restaurant booth and being like, I'm so small and I'm shoved with this booth. I know I'm never going to be on camera, and I was just I didn't see no one and having a great time getting to watch. So that's the second number. So once Brittany goes back to class and says that she had this, you know, incredible experience under anesthesia at Carl's office and she's found her power. From Brittany, she goes back with Santana, and Santana evinces Carl to put her under and she.
Speaker 1: Says, my dad, my dad's a real doctor.
Speaker 2: Not a dentist, and they remake the me against the music video, which is I mean, unreal, also just hilarious abandoned story. You know, let's just keep the hits coming too.
Speaker 1: Let's cut back to the dentist office real quick. Let's get into their dance number. And also like great I was here for.
Speaker 2: I was watching all the dancers. They're incredible. It was expert level on every end. And then at the very end of it, I guess who shows up for her first appearance.
Speaker 1: Britney Speed.
Speaker 2: It's the real one.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 2: And she looks great and she's like she does, You're really hot, Brittany like you're sweet. Fever dream, Yeah, complete fever dream, and and I mean and then we just keep going. Kurt, you know, is like not letting this go. He's like, that's right, mister Shue, can we do this again? And then calls him uptight. And that's something that's been happening with Will this whole episode, is that he's uptight. He needs to loosen up. Carl's trying to get him to loosen up. He ends up going. Will goes to the dentist to see Carl, and Carl's like, you're fine, here's some candy. Loosen up. So then it's Rachel's turn. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He runs into Rachel in the waiting room. She's like, is that candy? And literally they have this very short scene where they run into each other. It just places Rachel at the dentist. Right, we don't even see her go under. We don't see her with doctor Carl. Should We literally cut to the clock in the classroom for Hit Me Baby One More Time?
Speaker 2: And Britney Spears is at the front of the class as the teacher, which is really cool, and we do this like incredible almost shot for shot remake of Baby One More Time.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: You have to say. Leah's lip syncing is hilarious in this number, like she is going full Britney spears or nineties, yes, exactly over lip syncing. The tongue is basically hitting the.
Speaker 1: Nose, which is what Britny did, so kudos hilarious. So then Rachel is renewed as well as Brittany, feeling like they have this new sense of confidence and she wants to elevate her look, so she comes in looking like her hit Me Baby One More Time uniform look, where Finn sees her and as we see Finn and Rachel kind of talking about this, we run into Jacob in Israel, and Jacob in Israel is like drooling basically, and he's like, what do you want for? I'll give you anything. I'll give you my house, I'll kill my parents, I'll give you my house. Wanky wanky. I know that he got a lot of hate for this episode, so we'll have to ask him at some point and and then along the lines of or I mean, Jacob in Israel's storyline continues in this episode where he is caught by Sue, who's in a net priss after the school riot. Jumping ahead and Jacob and Israel is caught.
Speaker 2: Touching himself.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Rachel's As Britney spears and and he leaves a big fat sweat stain, but sweat stain on Sue's chair, which we see. It's all very strange. I could have done with all without all of this in the episode, but I guess we had to have some conflict and it and that's that, and that's that we're cutting to. And then we cut to Artie and Tina and Brittany in the hallway, yes, where Brittany is say telling Tina that she is an idiot for breaking up with Artie, and I say, I know Brittany, And that's where we get to be Britney spears and work with her.
Speaker 2: It's true and and we'll talk about that. Let's let's get into it, Okay. So we find out Brittany is coming onto the show and we can't believe it, but it was also a little bit of is she going to come? Is she not going to come? We weren't like totally sure she was going to show up.
Speaker 1: And things were still in rocky waters for Brittany around this time, and so.
Speaker 2: What we were told was that the day she was coming, everyone would have to wear wristbands to get onto set. She had her own trailers set up with like a fence around it, right up next to one of the stages, so our trailers were, you know, like a five minute walk away. Hers was right there and very protected from anything. And I'm sure that's because like Ryan gave them all the protections that you know, she'd be super secure she normally. Yeah, right, So I remember you and I and Heather stroll up to set to rehearse the scene of us in the hallway and yeah, Ryan rings into Piggins's office and we're waiting, and then Britney Spears comes in and it's very and also everyone on set, so these are the same crew members we've now been with for like a year and a half. Everyone is like, this is so weird because it's very quiet.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very quiet. Everybody's wearing these crazy like name tags and wristband things like you said, and everybody is like walking on eggs shells.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: It's like you were waiting for it even feels like you were any for president.
Speaker 2: It was like you didn't want to like spook the cat, like if you moved, like the cat was going to run off, And that's what it was. Very that it was very If anybody speaks too loudly or moves too quickly, like were we afraid Britney Spears is just going to run away? I don't know, maybe, but that's what I sort of felt like.
Speaker 1: And Ryan was very good. He was very kind to her the whole time. He's always a kind director, but he was very kind and like, very very good, Brittany. And what do you need, Brittany, what do you want to do? And so you me and Heather just chickens office across from one Britney Spears.
Speaker 2: That's all that was in the room, Like there was nobody else in the room.
Speaker 1: It was just rehearsing this scene and running it a couple of times. And she had like her line on a piece of patient.
Speaker 2: Do you remember, like an email that was just the lines written out for that scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, And she was seen. She was very quiet and very nice, very nervous, a little very nervous. You could see kind of like her hands with the paper, like a little nervous and a little, if you will, in the nicest way possible, a little vacant. Yes, And I mean that in literally the kindest way, because I think we were at that point she must have been going through so much. We had no idea with the conservator ship, We had no idea. All we knew was always in the press, and all we knew was seeing the umbrella, you know, in the car windshield and the shaving of the head and all of it. So this was like, I'm and you imagine all of her people and Hammlers and everybody without the Conservatorship are probably so protective of her because of all of the press that she gets on the data. To then add in the layer of like conservatorship which we didn't know about, of her being completely like in jail, you know, in her personal hell. It was it breaks my heart and I still love Britney Spears, but it was a really strange experience.
Speaker 2: It was hard. It was like out our body, absolutely out of body, and it was really hard to sort of witness what was happening because she had like a huge team around her. And then I remember when we actually then decided to shoot the scene. We walked out in the hallway and she was really trying, like she really wanted to. She's like, oh, let me do it again, and Ryan would be like great, She's like, is it okay? If I tried this had ideas, it was great, and then she would like get whisked away, like somebody from her team or something would like take her away, and she'd come back and be sort of again, for lack of a better word, a bit vacant. And it was this weird thing where it felt like we were getting in a rhythm. Then all of a sudden we'd have to like take a break and she'd disappeared for like fifteen minutes. Yeah, And I don't know what that was either, And I felt bad, but also.
Speaker 1: Like it felt like it felt like she couldn't Like now i'm looking back, it felt like when we want to ask a question or something or talk to around, it felt like you were talking around her and like people were answering for her yes all the time.
Speaker 2: And it felt like there were times when Ryan might give her a note or she had an idea and she would ask something yeah, then somebody would magically appear and try to like handle it for her. And I remember all of us talking afterwards being like she wanted to be participating, and it felt like she was not given the chance to participate in the way that she wanted to yes, which looking back makes sense. And I remember speaking to Heather later afterwards, you know, because she had her one on one with her and everyone had the same sort of vibe, like it was just weird, Like it was like you're almost trying to, like you said, talk around somebody who's right there in the room and pretending that they're not there.
Speaker 1: And in retro was practiced like she wanted to be there. She wanted to do it, like you said, but because she.
Speaker 2: Lit up once she was, it was it was amazing, like the Britney Spears we know as a performer. All of a sudden that camera was rolling and she got like one take under her belt. She was doing it like she was fully in it.
Speaker 1: Well she she is who she is for a reason, right, It's like she is the entertainer that she is, no matter what she was.
Speaker 2: Contributing to, like the process of it, and it was obviously weird. And I don't know if she noticed it was weird. It was her one day on our set, and obviously it was different for us. But I just remember walking away and I was like, are you okay, Jenna, this is your idol? Like was this weird?
Speaker 1: Like did this it was really weird? It was a really weird experience to meet your hero and it not we go exactly the way. It wasn't disappointing in a way that like you're like, oh, she's a horrible person, do you know what I mean? It wasn't like that experience. It was just very like guarded, Like everything was so guarded around her, Like her trailer had those like seven foot black walls.
Speaker 3: It felt like she had seven foot black walls around.
Speaker 2: It was like the whole thing was unsetting.
Speaker 3: And we were so grateful she was there, and we were so excited to have her, and we were so thrilled that we had her music and we were doing it so like it was this very like weird contrast of being so excited and then also like now I just feel sad thinking about what she was going through at the time.
Speaker 2: She had a good time. I know it was brief, but she enjoyed it. We really loved having her there. And I just couldn't believe I get to high five Forritty Spears. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The whole time I was just she said our character she was in and Ryan did that because he knew we were the biggest fans of her. You know, that was crazy.
Speaker 2: It was I couldn't believe it. I was really excited for you. I remember when we were in Figin's office because I knew I was a massive fan, but I know how at the time, like I don't even know who came in there. At the time, I was obsessed with Justin Timberlake. So Justin Timberlake had come on, I probably would have been freaking out.
Speaker 1: It could have been mister s.
Speaker 2: So I remember watching to watch her and I was like, this is so cool.
Speaker 1: It really is. Like Heather and I were holding hands because I think we were both unwell in that moment and like we knew exactly what we were going through. Yes, it was really cool though, honestly, just to say that we were able to We've worked with Britney Spears before, like I worked with Britney Spears, and then we get into doing your numbers stronger where you are a hunk on the football.
Speaker 2: It's a strong word. I made some of the ugliest faces known to man.
Speaker 1: And this number, oh please, this number was great and I wish you could have danced it. But it was really great and all the football players were awesome and the dancers and you you sang down and it's a really fun way to see a guy do a girls like Brittany's songs. So I was, and I also forgot that I was there because there was a late night shoot and I remember they were running, you were running behind, and I was hanging in the trailer. I was probably sleeping, and I remember it was one shot and I was like, I am still here. It's like mister Shoe and what Matt would go through a lot.
Speaker 2: I just remember too, like all those little references, like you know that scene with you yelling at me and Ryan was directing and you're like swinging your hair and he had you go above and beyond when we're in that huddle, and I throw my hands in front of my face like that was a I and did that when he was giving me a note, He's like, you know, just like use your hands and get into it. I'm like, okay, it makes no sense. But he just wanted everything to be just do it. You just do it exactly. And I love doing that because it would make him giggle.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: And so Finn continues to get bullied already sort of steps in to like stop a fight from breaking out and basically says, you know, like Hey, it was my fault. You're not on the team. I'm sorry about that, and Beast hears this. Also noticed that sam Akay Court is nowhere to be seen in this episode after we've just met him, right, he's not in Gleek Club yet.
Speaker 1: He's not stronger. Well, we end up seeing like the good side of coaching. We start seeing the angel of coach Pece.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Finn gets back on the football team and Rachel has an issue with it when she said she wouldn't and then tests Finn's allegiance by putting Quinn you know, up to the test of hitting on him, and then he shuts her down.
Speaker 1: And I gotta love that. I gotta love seeing a Rachel Quinn.
Speaker 2: I do love that.
Speaker 1: We just love it. I dig it.
Speaker 2: And before Meanwhile, before we get to this last moment where she realizes that Finn's not going to like leave her or cheat on her and that they're actually okay, you know her, she doesn't have to dress up as Britney spears, he can still be on the football team. Everything's fine. Will gives in to the kids and says we're gonna do a brittany performance at the PEP rally. At the homegoing pep rally and he is like, I'm going to perform with you, which is not great news for anybody in the glee club. They're not super stoked about that. And Sue has been trying to make sure that Britney Spears music will not be done in glee club. She's very against it. And when we get to the pep rally, Lauren Potter finds out what we are doing Britney Spears, so Sue makes sure that Lauren Potter Becky is on high alert. If they need to personally arrest anyone, they can do it. And we start doing this weird, weird number.
Speaker 1: It's not my favorite Britney song to begin with talk really yeah, I don't know, I don't love it, and then I definitely don't.
Speaker 2: Love this number is strange.
Speaker 1: It makes me so uncomfortable, and mister Shoe, of course wants to dance with us.
Speaker 2: Like Joanie's highly provocative number. Is it even that provocative?
Speaker 1: We're humping hats, it gets it gets there, it gets there, mister Shoe's pushing girls down. It's weird. It gets a little teacher student strength. But the crowd is loving this and Jacob and Israel at the helm, and Lauren's ic is also are actually think are like going for it, and Jacob and Isel's just Usman is very funny in the scene. And then there's literally a riot that breaks out because sex riot Josh Jacob and Adela hits somebody in front of him and then he punches him and everybody goes down, and Jane says, it's.
Speaker 3: A Britney's Yours spears sex right.
Speaker 2: The delivery is and then she pulls the fire alarm and then ends up in a neck brace in the next scene.
Speaker 1: And that's where she talks about which we talked about earlier, you know, the Jacob and Israel of it all, and and that's really that, that's really the.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the episode, we've finished the Britney Spears of it All and Rachel does this really beautiful rendition of the only exception by Paramore by not me, and it's a great version, and it is also like.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: It's very weird. This episode was weird. I have to say, looking back at it, I didn't love it as much as I remember I did before. Oh really, I think because like nothing's happening and I think the show for me was at its best when it's not just to music for music's sake, I know, but it's I know, and everyone was great. Everyone got to shine. And I remember originally watching it in that theater at Jeff's house, thinking this episode's amazing, And I remember I remember John Stam was being very confused about what we had just watched. He's like, was that O ka? Was that episode good? Like, oh, yeah, this is great. But I do think it was a strange, strange episode. But I did love getting to watch everybody perform, you know, and that's sort of our episode. That's it. That's Brittany, Brittany.
Speaker 1: Let's do some tarty takes.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Cringe moment.
Speaker 1: Jenna Jacob Bringer is real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, Josh Desmond was great, but he was he was weird, weird, weird, weird. Worst to dance move non toxic was weird.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, not a worst dance move, but like creepy and made me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: And the best dance was sleep for You. I think just Heather, Yeah, exactly, absolutely best song. Oh i'd say slave, I say slave too. I know it's not Brittany, but I do think Only Exception was also great? Yeah, big fan of that.
Speaker 1: And the best performance by a prop. I think the snake.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely the snake.
Speaker 1: Best line. I I know it's very uncomfortable and I don't I called it the cringe moment, but when sus says, I want you to feel the beads that you're going sweaty to pray to stang dripping down your butt crack, I was like, Okay, we went there and it's very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, that was she had she was. She was not in the episode a lot, but she said some crazy ass shit, per usual, and it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Always always, always, and uh, that's that's it. Those are our chartie takes, Jenna. Yeah, should we found on TikTok this week? Okay, there's an part one of six they broke down Niata student on TikTok when the cast some of us went on to drop the mic, okay and just uploading us roasting each other on drop the mic, and so someone commented, it's giving Hamilton, which is hilarious.
Speaker 2: And I loved doing this. Do you remember when we got to do that and go on there?
Speaker 1: I was very nervous because I'm not a rapper, so this was a very nervous number. I was a nervous nelly. But it was really fun to do and it was fun to see everybody after all that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and get to do something music related together totally. If you haven't seen it, go on Out of Students TikTok and watch those clips. They uploaded them all separately, but we're all roasting each other because that's what we would do in real life.
Speaker 1: Anyway, exactly, all all out of love.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love this one. Thanks for talking us in it. It's good to walk down memory lane. You loved it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us. For Brittany, I hope you enjoyed all of our memories of this one.
Speaker 2: And we love you Britney Spears. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 1: We love you, Brittany. That's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: Damn it, you stole it. See you next week for Grilled cheesus. Yes, thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.