Speaker 1: All Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, Joe here. I also host the Alliance at by Donkeys podcast, a military history podcast. We talk about all eras of history, trying to make things funny and interesting. And if that sounds cool to you, you can come see us live May twenty ninth at the Rich Mix in London. There will be tickets available for live show and a ticket available for live streaming with video on demand so you can watch it later. So get your tickets now. They will be in the show notes and I hope to see you there.
Speaker 3: Oh, welcome back to Well. This is the Behind the Bastard's feed and this is normally where you get new episodes Behind the Bastard's but every now and then we try something new. And in the not too distant future, I'm planning to be launching a new podcast with my friend and fellow Giant nerd Joe Kasabian, also a fellow podcaster or Hey Joe, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hey buddy, it's good to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're wanting to do We're planning to do a podcast on Warhammer forty thousand, which is a game system that some of you are probably aware of and others of you maybe aren't. I think a lot of people know about this now it's reached kind of a point of cultural critical mass. I think a significant chunk of people on the Internet are just kind of casually aware it exists in a way that they weren't when we were kids and started playing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. I remember back when I first heard about Warhammer through the books, like nobody really knew what it was other than other people that would fall into that fan zone. But now anybody who doesn't even know it's a miniature, maybe they know it from like the Total War games or whatever. Yeah, it's definitely the biggest it's ever been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I the podcast, we'll you know, talk later about what exactly the podcast kind of things the podcast will be covering, But this episode, I specifically wanted to talk about the intersection of Warhammer forty k and like pop culture and pop politics in the United States and elsewhere, because it's one of having a surprisingly large impact on like the way people communicate on the Internet and the way people talk about Donald Trump in particular, that's really weird. But before we get into that, because I think that's the thing that's going to be relevant to everybody, even the people who you know aren't into the game at least can get something out of this stuff, which is why we're putting this up as our teaser episode in the Bastard's Feed. But before we do that, Joe, you've got a book to plug.
Speaker 2: I do my debut gunpowder fantasy novel, The Highlands Burn comes out May twenty ninth, so you can pre order it now, which is the best time to get it, so when you when it arrives it'll be nice and.
Speaker 3: Fresh, excellent. Well, everyone one should do that, and everyone should listen to the episode, which you have no choice but to listen to because I'm going to start reading it to you and you're already listening to the podcast, right. So, if you're at all into social media and up to date on the current political hors of our age, you've probably heard President Donald Trump referred to as God Emperor Trump. Currently that phrase alone returns about four million results on Google, and that is a reference to Warhammer forty thousand in forty k as its fans call it. The God Emperor is the founder in deity of the Imperium, a vast million world empire that includes nearly all human beings. He was once a mighty warrior and a deadbeat dad, but he spent the last ten thousand years or so hooked up to life support. So you can already see. You know, the guy likes gold. He's always covered in gold, and he's a terrible father. So you can see why Donald Trump gets compared to him from time to time.
Speaker 2: Right, Hey, I mean recently Trump posted a picture of himself as Jesus Christ, so maybe he's maybe starting to buy miniatures.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. And the Emperor, being a being who's lived tens of thousands of years, is kind of insinuated to maybe have been Jesus or at least somebody who like profited, you know, was influential in starting the early Church. He's been insinuated to have been basically everybody. But you know, getting beyond that, if you haven't don't know anything about Warhammer and you just heard the phrase God Emperor Trump, you probably didn't think too much about it outside of like, oh, people are being weird about politics again in the United States, right, can you? It couldn't be right. Trump is kind of a singular figure when it comes to global media attention, so it's not all that noteworthy that fans of a game would reference him in memes. What makes this one unique is that people using the phrase and spreading memes about it are kind of as likely to be mocking the president as praising him. It's a real Schrodinger situation, and this aspect of it is really well embodied by something very funny that happened on February eleventh, twenty nineteen, over in Italy. The Via Reggio Carnival is an event held in via Reggio, a city in Tuscany, and has been a yearly parade in celebration since eighteen seventy three. It started when a bunch of rich guys decided to make a parade with floats that would help put the city on the map in a cultural sense, and rather than funding the parade themselves, they push to increase taxes on working class citizens and poor people protested by wearing masks and presumably committing petty crimes. Right, So you've got like a classic story here. It really is a beautiful thing. I love a good carnival, And kind of the key feature of this is there's these huge paper machet floats, the largest of which weighs like forty tons that people make spend the year making. There's are massive things, they're the size of buildings. And then like walk through the street, right, and there are drive through the street I think now, and there's these big drunken parties and everybody wears masks and it's a great time. About half a million people attend each year. And twenty nineteen was like any other year, except that the pride of the was a sixty five foot tall sculpture of Donald Trump as the God Emperor.
Speaker 2: Of maid Joe, would you showed me this picture? I lost my shit. I had never seen this.
Speaker 3: It'll be the thumbnail image of this. This one's not going to be a video episode because it's a special one, but I do kind of want people to see it. If you just google like Trump God Emperor, float, parade float or something like that, you'll see pictures and it really is something. It's massive, right.
Speaker 2: I would love to be into the planning meeting on that one, because you know, it took a small to medium sized team to build this monster. Yes, someone had to pitch that idea to the rest of them and explain exactly what the fuck it was.
Speaker 3: It was several people's whole year. The guy behind it is artist Fabrizio Golly, who created it as a critique of Trump's presidency. Some of this is obvious if you like really look at the details of the statue. There are like four blue twitter birds flying around the sword handle the Emperor. Like this is based on off of like a drawing in several drawings of the Emperor where which is these guys wearing huge a huge golden suit of power armour with like eagle's wings on it. He's got a massive flaming sword. Everything about him is gold. Often he has glorious long flowing hair, the kind that Trump doesn't. But yeah, in the float this big Sordi had, there's like twitter birds flying around the handle, which Fabrizio put there to make the point that Trump had weaponized Twitter against his enemies. And written on the blade in Italian was the phrase your taxes and your duties, and the specific way that these were written in Italian was meant to be like bring up a different phrase, which Galley summarized as meaning, here's your fucking tariffs, right, like that's the blade is the tariffs, which is kind of like prescient that he really picked those out as being a weapon in a way, they weren't nearly as much in twenty nineteen as they are now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it still kind of works as a bit of imperial propaganda. Yeah, Like this is one hundred percent something that that the Emperor would have said to like a planet in revolt, like here's your.
Speaker 3: Here's your fucking tariffs with a literal sword. Yeah, Fabrizio said of this quote, it's a joke, but in fact he's trying to destroy nations with the economy instead of nuclear missiles. This is one of the strongest actions let's say that powerful people like Trump can use. So we'll go back to Fabrizio in a bit. But what's relevant to my point here is the point I was making earlier is that as soon as pictures of this float get online, they go viral. People are sharing this like crazy, and Fabrizio's meaning sailed right over a lot of people's heads. I'm going to quote now from an article in Time. Many conservative commentators on Twitter appeared to interpret the float as a tribute to Trump. Several tweeted that was a parade for Trump. Emerald Robinson, the White House correspondent for right wing Channel one American News wrote, this carnival in Italy looks a lot more fun than the Thanksgiving Day parade in New York. Just look at this Trump float.
Speaker 2: Ah incredible. Everybody knows it can't be a Trump float because it wasn't sponsored by coinbase or right like.
Speaker 3: Right, no one was selling crypto. It was twenty nineteen. It couldn't have been affiliated with Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, nobody could rug pull the parade.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I do you know if the Emperor was a real character, he's got to be a lie. He's he should be alive then, because he's like thirty thou forty thousand years old when the game starts, which means theoretically the Emperor could have bought in fts. Right, that's true, his madness could be entirely driven by all of his apes getting stolen. He set him down the.
Speaker 2: Path the thing that really drove him to combat chaos. If someone tried to explain the concept of a slurp juice to him.
Speaker 3: No, I got a ruled humanity. You people can't cover yourselves.
Speaker 2: Fuck, you can't be fucking trusted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Warhammer forty thousand and the God Emperor character have existed since the nineteen eighties. For most of the time that the game has existed, it's been a fairly obscure pastime. It requires a lot of money in order to actually play the game, and it used to require a lot of money just to like buy all of the books and guides that would teach you anything about the game at all. But social media and video games have introduced forty K to the masses in a way that, like, you don't have to spend a lot or even any money to at least consume the lore. A lot of people who are fans have never played the game. You know, maybe they play some video games, but a lot of people just like watch hours of YouTube videos, and those YouTube videos are largely regurgitating decades worth of lore that have been like written and stored in websites or put in wikis. Like that's all. That's the hobby to quite a few people who call themselves fans, and so as a result, when the long simmering US culture war ignited the world of gaming a year or so prior to the start of the Trump campaign, forty K became a battleground too. The fact that the imperium that the god Emperor ruled was in the text of the game a fascist state, which was you know, largely the subject of satire in thee made it kind of an obvious inspiration for white nationalists looking to hide propaganda in memes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The fact that, like, people who were playing forty K were usually playing one of the factions affiliated with this evil fascist space space Empire. Even though the game was satirizing the evil fascist space Empire, part of it all meant that there was like some room wiggle room for folks to get in and try to like propagandize to people.
Speaker 2: The all they need is a tiny bit. There's always enough wiggle room. It's like a mouse smashing itself under a door. There's nothing you can do.
Speaker 3: Right, right, especially since like it's it's part of its wiggle room, and part of it's like, well, what do you like Angry young men who aren't great at like being socialized to do well? They spend way too much time playing games. I say, as an angry young man who wasn't well socialized, but it was, you know.
Speaker 2: Sensing myself in these comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, playing a lot of Warhammer, right, and hey, I'm well socialized now and I still love Warhammer.
Speaker 2: That's fine, goddamn right, which is always wild to because Warhammer's inherently a social game. It is like even with all the video games or whatever. If that's how you want to consume it, great, But the second you cross that line and start buying mini is you have to go into a room and start talking to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at some point you're going to have to be around other people if you really want to do it. So God Emperor Trump memes started spreading on four Chan back in twenty fifteen, right around the same time Trump announced his campaign, and December twenty fifth, twenty fifteen, a YouTuber named Talent uploaded a video that collected a bunch of early memes, entitled it Donald Trump Emperor of Mankind. Talent was a very small time creator. We're talking about a thousand subscribers, but this particular video broke half a million views, and part of it, like the imagery in the video, is there's a famous piece of art from the lore of the game. That's the emperor fighting his son who betrayed him, over the body of one of his other sons that was murdered by the betrayers. It's a very famous drawing and they just included that, but they hadn't swapped out the Emperor with Donald Trump very crudely, and I believe Hillary Clinton was playing the role of Horace, his evil son. I'll do a screen share so you can see this, Joe.
Speaker 2: That is very confusing.
Speaker 3: This is a real beautiful find. I think that's Hillary in there. Yeah, that's Hillary.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's Hillary. That's Hillary.
Speaker 3: And then there's a there's Donald.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought? Who would have thought that Donald Trump was Hillary Clinton's gene seed father.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is implied the meme because again, this is his son, who is the evil he's fighting. So yes, this kind of is implying that Hillary Clinton was created by Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: And she's absolutely towering over him.
Speaker 3: She was way cooler. She just killed an angel. It's pretty sweet. So the meme broke. The God Emperor meme broke mainstream awareness in twenty sixteen when New York Times reporter Jonathan Weisman wrote about the hate mail and threats that he received online from Trump supporters. Quote from that article, the anti Semitic hate, much of it from self identified Donald J. Trump supporters, hasn't stopped since Trump God Emperor sent me the Nazi iconography of the shiftless hook nosed jew I was served in an image of the geists of Auschwitz. The famous words are bite, mocked, fry replaced without irony with maccin America.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: So again, this guy and this journalist like Weiseman doesn't recognize that this guy's making a warhammer reference or at least right about Yeah, it's just like the the username of the guy messaging him, and again like why would he have right, Like if you don't, like, you wouldn't assume Trump God Emperor is someone referencing a video game. You just in this context, you just assume it's a crazy fascist.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But about two months after that column came out, a writer with the Huffington Post, Nico Pitney, wrote an article about the growing Trump God Emperor meme phenomenon quote among Trump's active online supporters, the nickname is now commonplace. The post announcing Trump's participation in the Q and A heralded our God Emperor, and a search of the phrase returned over two hundred posts in the day after Trump's appearance. Some forum members say God Emperor is simply a tongue in cheek attempt to rile up Trump opponents who fear he would be a strong man as president. The term is attributed variously to God Emperor, characters in the science fiction series Dune and a tabletop game called Warhammer forty thousand. We know he can't literally be one, wrote member in New Jersey nine oh eight, but the phrase whip people into a frenzy saying that we literally want a dictator.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay. Funding that marketing back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was nicer back then when they had to pretend it was a bit and I do lo well it could be Dune, Well, Dune, it could be, but it's not. Warhammer is kind of like a lot of Warhammer was originally ripping off Dune, and the Emperor characters based heavily on on Leo A. Trades Right, Like there's yeah, that's certainly like like Warhammer is essentially all of the sci fi that was bigg in the nineteen eighties and before getting put into a blender and like merged together right with.
Speaker 2: Thatch, right uk, Yeah.
Speaker 3: As we'll talk about yes, so like the journalist there is correct that like, yeah, I mean they could have been, but in this case they definitely weren't. They were talking about the Emperor from forty k Now, a big part of the appeal of the god Emperor character for these people is that he was explicitly in the lore of the game genocidal. The way the backstory goes, you know, Warmer forty thousand is set in the forty first millennium, like like thirty nine or zero thousand years into the future, but in the lore of the game, and like the year thirty thousand or so, about ten thousand years before the current day of the setting. The Emperor, while he was still alive and healthy, launched a great crusade after unifying Earth. You know, there had been a big space empire before, but it all crashed after the Ai, you know, went crazy and fucked everything up. So Earth was just like this warring mess of techno barbarians and shit. And the Emperor takes over. He unifies Earth, and he makes a bunch of gene modified super soldiers called space Marines, and he sends them out into the galaxy to commit mass genocide against all of the different alien species that he considered a threat in any human world. That wouldn't bend the need to him, right, They just do thousands of genocides out in the galaxy. They take over like a million worlds, and this all does end badly for the Emperor, like his sons, who were his main generals that he had created in a lab to eventually a bunch of them betray them and he's badly wounded and has to be on like this life support system forever and ever, which leads to the nightmare future that the game itself is set in. But the fact that like none of this works for the Emperor, and that again kinda in the lore, you're not supposed to be like, ah, the Emperor, what a good guy who was doing a good thing. You're supposed to be like, oh, he's just like wiping people out for no reason, Like he was just a real real dick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: People always like to say like, oh, it's you know, and nobody's good in the world of Warhammer Force, okay, which the other crue yes, but specifically the Imperium is horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely horrible. And in the books about this genocide, there's like moments where your favorite characters are wiping out a species and like the last members of the species will be like, we just wanted to be left alone, Like these are. They're not subtle, like the writers are not super subtle about them being the baddies.
Speaker 2: Say what you will about Warhammer forty k, but subtle is not one of them.
Speaker 3: Subtle is not something you can apply to this game. However, some people fail to see the broader message in the lore and just hone in on the things that appeal to them. And there's a great four Chan post I found from dis the I think July twenty first, twenty fifteen, where someone posts a picture and it's yet another one of those like photoshop things where you've got like Donald Trump in the place of a space marine. Year is now forty thousand. Trump turned out to be the God Emperor and initiated the imperium of man killing Xenos all day, every day in his honor. Life is good. Get like in the game, things aren't good in the forty first millennium. The Emperor's stuck in a life support chair and everyone worships him even though he was a major atheist, and everything's falling apart all the time. Life is not in fact good.
Speaker 2: And anywhere the space Marines came from is by design terrible.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, they're abducted child soldiers who are like genetically enhanced so they can go crack down on rebellions against the state. They're not like, it's not a like, it's like it's a fun game. There's a lot of like the lore is interesting and the models are cool, but you're not supposed to think, boy, I wish I lived in that world. That would be silly.
Speaker 2: Imagine if RFK Junior got the keys to the space marine program.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: He's already got a strategic stockpile of trend and like, yeah, butter ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's the first step towards having space marines. Should just let RFK cook up like whatever kind of like mammal penis based potion he can to invent the extra organs that make you a super soldier.
Speaker 2: Fuck, he's America's Firth, like a first neo apothecary.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. Yeah, he's the beginning of the techno barbarian tries. So the very first edition of Warhammer forty thousand, which was was called Warhammer forty thousand Rogue Trader. It was a tabletop wargame published first in nineteen eighty seven. Before eighty seven, it's manufacturer Games Workshop published a wide array of board games and miniatures, most of which were focused around fantasy wargaming and role playing. Tabletop wargangs have a long history. The ancient Greeks were talking thousands of years ago, had a game called Patea where players would simulate FEALANX combat using game pieces and some sort of rules system. I don't think we actually have the rules, but I don't actually know that much about it. But they did have a dice.
Speaker 2: Did they need it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're kind of dice.
Speaker 1: We know.
Speaker 3: The Romans had d twenties, I mean theoretically, but yeah, and there was like it was for military training. It was to help people who are going to be like officers I think sometimes figure like learn the ropes and whatnot and learn to think strategically. The Romans, being Romans, plagiarized the Greeks and made their own wargames, which were similar but often much more complicated. The earliest form of chess, which is a tabletop wargame, was created in India, and like the six hundreds, I think, and I think that the sixteen hundreds is when you start to get like modern chess. And by the eighteen hundreds and early nineteen hundreds, people had started selling and marketing wargames with little lead soldiers, often simulating Napoleonic combat or like American Civil War combat. But this is when you start to get wargames that at least you could recognize at a glance as the same kind of thing as Warhammer, where you've got two dudes and they're pushing little models of soldiers around a table, right like that, that's kind of when that comes into being. Games Workshop had been founded in nineteen seventy five by three friends who loved these first stirrings of nerd culture and wanted to make and sell games of their own. The first edition of Warkhammer, which is now called Warhammer Fantasy, came out in nineteen eighty three. In nineteen eighty six, Games Workshop published an issue of their company magazine, White Dwarf, that featured an Orc model carrying a banner with the face of Margaret Thatcher then the Prime Minister of the UK painted on it and the piece was labeled Maggie's Death Banner. And there's a show with PHO. It's fucking great. Yeah, first off, pretty good paint job like this. It's a credible, credibly painted Orc and that's just straight up Margaret Thatcher's face on a banner with like a severed hand on the top.
Speaker 2: It's great, that's good, And like the orc's understanding of technology is pretty much Margaret Thatcher's understanding of how economics work. Right, Yes, yes, if you privatize it a go fast though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Article for The Gamer, Ben Sledge writes. She later appeared she being Thatcher in the Evil Within a campaign for Warhammer Fantasy roleplay. The name of the campaign itself is a reference to one of Thatcher's speeches, where she infamously said we have always to be aware of the enemy within, which is much more difficult to fight and more dangerous to liberty. She was, of course, talking about the striking miners who feared for their livelihood and lavelhoods in the face of countless mind closures under her regime. The Impress Margaretha also spelled Magreeta, is a clear satirical representation of Thatcher ascending to power in nineteen seventy nine, the same year as the British Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so.
Speaker 3: Cool, it gets better. Ian mcgrecor leads an army of Orcs against Arca, Zarguls, Dwarfs who themselves are suffering miners. If those names aren't recognizable to you. Ian McGregor was responsible for shutting down Countless Minds under Thatcher's orders, and Arthur Scargill was the leader of the National Union of Mineworkers during the strikes in nineteen eighty four and nineteen eighty five, who later founded the Socialist Labour Party. So that's not subtle.
Speaker 2: We have to unionize the dwarves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, all dwarves are unionized, as are the sponsors for this podcast. Unless they're not, I have really no way of knowing. And we're back. So I think that has established politics and political satire was kind of embedded in the foundations of Warhammer from the beginning, right, Yeah, but it was also more a thing in fantasy than forty K. As Sledge notes in his article after nineteen eighty seven, the people making Warhammer forty thousand, I think in part because forty k really started to take off and they were like, oh, this could actually be big. We probably shouldn't like make so many jokes about partisan politics that might stop people from wanting to buy the game.
Speaker 2: Maybe we shouldn't put Margaret Thatcher's face a banner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably should have Maggie's face on as many banners. So they got a little more subtle with the politics, didn't disappear entirely, and you can always tell it was like punks making it in that period of time. The early years of forty k art and lore contained many references and allusions to aspects of punk culture. So today in the game, space marines are these gigantic much taller than people like monk, like like heroic warrior monks, right, and they're you know, they're all superhuman. They're the result of all of this genetic tinkering, and you know, they're incapable of fear, and they're these these kind of like idealized like the absolute ideal of like a stereotypical like warrior, right, Like that that's everything a space marine is. That's not what they were at first. The first space marines were basically like mercenaries and like drafty cops of like this brutal imperial that were there like crack down on dissent and stuff. There's a great from an early White Dwarf magazine. There's a piece of art that I'm showing Joe. Now that's like an early it's a drawing up. There's like a punk who's been spray painting marines out on a wall, and he's got his hands against the wall, and there's two space marines standing behind him. You know, they're not taller than him, because they weren't initially superhuman. They were just guys in armor. One of them's got what looks like a stun baton in his hands. And then there's text underneath it that says, when the eye of Terror blinks, ships fly between Lost Worlds and the rest of the galaxy. Miners ship their oars, and slavers play their loathsome trade where chance permits, the forces of the Imperium make their mark, bringing to the Lost Worlds the brutal order of the Imperium, if only for a few days. So there's space cops, right.
Speaker 2: Space marine cops flying through space so they could play candy crush and do nothing at a different location.
Speaker 3: Right. That's not the only way space marines were depicted, but they were often depicted as that, as like cops and bullies. They were nearly always thugs. They were not you know, they weren't like they looked cool but like their personalities were not cool, right, they weren't meant to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, went from being like a Warrior night to starting off as like Sully from Long Island.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, yeah, strong Sully vibes in these so again, even though after this point there's no more whole campaign settings created a mock like Union Busting and the like. The designers behind forty k were always pretty direct about the fact that the Imperium are not the good guys and the Emperor is not a great leader. In fact, here's how the first ever Warhammer forty thousand rule book opened. For more than one hundred centuries, the Emperor has sat immobile on the golden throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass, writhing invisibly with power from the dark age of technology. He is the carrion Lord of the Imperium, to whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, and for whom blood is drunk and flesh eaten. Human blood and human flesh, the stuff of which the Imperium is made.
Speaker 2: Much more explicit. Now it's kind of couched in the pseudo religious terms that the entire Imperium exists as, but back that it was definitely very much you couldn't hide from, Like, no, this is an empire that runs on blood and death. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there's you know, there's still that bit that intro goes on to include some of the texts that they have at the start of every game book now, and they always do make the point that like, this is a bad this is the worst possible regime, right, Yeah, they've been very consistent about that. But I love that bit at the start, right which you winted out, where they're like, the Iperium runs on the blood and flesh of human beings. It's a cannibalistic nightmare regime. Yep, nothing changes, nothing changes. Variations of that passage have been included in basically every book of rules and lare published by Games Workshop in the years since. Unfortunately, they didn't do that in a vacuum, and over the long years of the game has existed, they also expanded the lore behind the Space Marines and turned them into what they are today. And because the Space Marines are what sold the best and what looked the coolest. Most of like the especially the kids who were just getting into the hobby, got into the Space Marines were who they marketed and focused more and more of the game around. And there's a lot of different alien races and stuff in it, and obviously those had to become more monstrous to match, right, because that makes the space Marines look cooler and more heroic. And all of this led to a situation where a lot of players didn't realize really that the Imperium aren't the good guys and that Purge, the heretic and other Imperial catchphrases shouldn't be seen as admirable. But again, space Marines look really, really cool, and Warhammer players and writers have created so much fiction and fan out over the years that a lot of people have made that aesthetic a real part of their lives, and this has happened in some pretty extreme cases. Probably the most extreme example of this would be the fact that if you watch enough videos put out by the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense, or just a ton of combat footage from the War in Ukraine where you can see a lot of Ukrainian soldiers, you'll inevitably run across dudes with decorations in their armor or gear that look like this, And Joe, you're seeing this now, but this is essentially a I mean it's it's a wax like stamp with some papers underneath it that's adhering it to the arm.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen some, but I haven't seen this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, these are in in the game, these like wack papers adhered to like armor by these like wax seals. It's called an oath of moment, right, or purity seals too. Like there's two different kinds of things that both sort of you know involve there being like papers attached to it, but like these are things like the oath of moment is like before battle, Marie space Rins like write down like what their goal is for this fight, or like make a vow that like this, you know, the enemy won't pass this point or something, and then they'll like adhere that to their armor to like hold them to it. Right, And you know this was like they started putting these on the armor of the models, these like little bitty like you could see these like scraps of paper adhered by like wax seals. Because they made the power armor. The Space Marines had look have more of like a medieval night vibe, and that's a big part of like the forty k aesthetic is you have like a lot of these medieval like weapons and armor, but it's also like futuristic. That's a big part of like the appeal of the aesthetic of the setting, and it appealed to people so much, and there's so many fans of Warhammer in Ukraine that, like one a lot of young Ukrainian men started going into battle, they started putting purity seals on their armor, like to the extent that like now people make and sell period like seals that you can put on your gear.
Speaker 2: Right, I've seen like detachments named after like Space Marine stuff as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like it's it's it's fucking wild. And there's even like if you look down there, there's another example of one on a guy's armor with a bunch of like Warhammer patches on his body.
Speaker 2: Eye. Yeah, yeah, it's nothing but Warhammer stuff, going from nothing but Warhammer's Stanicus more, Space Marines got an Imperial Guard one from the the Death Watch of Greek Yep or the Death Corps Cree. Sorry.
Speaker 3: Well in that picture that you're looking at, Joe came from a two year old post in the Warhammer forty k subreddit that read greetings from Ukraine. Yeah, this has become really popular here because many of the military are Warhammer fans. So many of the volunteers who helped the military try and find merchandise or patches of this type for them as a nice gift, right hmm. It's and I'm not, by the way, like we're talking about this in the context of people taking Warhammer the right way or the wrong way. I don't have any issue with this. Like you're fighting a fucking desperate war for your survival. Do whatever you want to your your armor. You know that makes you feel better. It's just it's weird. It's it was strange to see like this actually making its way to a real war because so many of the people fighting that war are fans of the game. Like, that's just a strange moment for the hobby. And you can for a comparison to how much this has jumped into mainstream like consciousness. When I was in the military, we had stupid like we call them morale patches. We had super little morale patches too. I never saw forty k one and I mean this is back in the early two times got up until the twenty Yeah, never saw anything never and so within a decade it's just like no, there's detachments themed after space marine groups. There's moral patches like it's having a moment, that's for sure. It's having a moment, and it's gonna get weirder, Joe, because I got another thing to show you, Oh boy. Every year, the firearms industry gathers in Las Vegas, Nevada for the Shot Show. It is the gun industry trade show where different companies show off new weapons, both firearms that are thing meant for civilian use and for police and for the military. And one big trend, as I'm sure you know, Joe, in military arms design over the last couple of decades, but it's really escalated over the last ten or fifteen years, have been small portable semi automatic and automatic grenade launchers in many cases, ones that can fire like smart grenades. Right, we have a degree of control and like when it detonates, how far it has to go? Right, Like that's a big it's like a major area in which weapons have like weapons development has leapt forward over the course of the last like twenty something years in this regard, you have a lot more options there then you used to for grenade launchers of that type. And periodically, you know, as some of these different products that are like because the main weapon that a space marine carries is called a bolterer, and it's this big, cool looking rifle that's actually not like a rifle at all. It fires basically like a rocket munition that one charge shoots the munition out the barrel and then a secondary charge actually ignites the rocket and then the rocket will like shoot towards its target and blow up.
Speaker 2: And you know, they're.
Speaker 3: Huge guns meant for future terrifying post human war. And periodically, when you'd see one of these new automatic grenade launchers, people online would be like, Oh, that looks like a bolterer. We're finally making real bolters, right, because that's kind of what they look like. And this year at shot Show, Barrett, which is a company that makes very fucking big guns, brought a semi autogmatic grenade launcher painted in ultramarines blue with a fucking an oath of moment attached.
Speaker 2: To the barrel.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, hey everyone here. The maker of that thirty milimeter grenade launcher was actually Mars Ink, not Barrett. I made the mistake because both Mars and Barrett are making basically identical thirty milimeter grenade launchers and competing to get a contract from the US military for this program called the SSRs system, and both had models of the SSRs on display at shot Show. But it was Mars Inc. That painted THEIRS up to look like a Bolterer and put a purity seal on it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I have to wonder what Games Workshop feels about this. Oh yeah, yeah, that's just it. That's just a Bolterer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ultra mariines blue and everything on there, like it's fucking wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So whether or not you think that's cool depends on your attitude towards the arms industry. Again, you can think about that however you want, but it represents a kind of awkward problem for Games Workshop. The fact that stuff like this is happening is evidence of the insane degree of cultural penetration that Warhammer has achieved. But having real weapons made in the image of your video game or of your game weapons can be problematic too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to be connected to someone being actually murdered by your product.
Speaker 3: Right right, like that that can be a problem. And speaking of things that are problematic, the sponsors of this show, we're back. So, as I kind of brought up before we went to break, the wide popularity of Warhammer has increasingly forced problematic confrontations both between sort of how much people like it and how many many things they want to stick Warhammer on and what the company Games Workshop may what Warhammer's stuck on, and between like groups of fans themselves. And about four years ago, Spain's largest Warhammer tournament let a guy play while wearing Nazi paraphernalia, and I believe his army was kind of like Nazi themed too, Like it was like a Wehrmacht themed guard army or something if I'm remembering correct, But he was like wearing Nazi shit, and he'd entered the tournament under the name Austrian painter, Like really fucking subtle, my dude, And people weren't thrilled about this. I'm going to quote from an article in Polygon. Gt Telavera tournament organizers gave comment to tabletop wargaming site spiky Bit, stating that the club repudiates the Nazi mentality in all its aspects. Nazi ideas have no place in our group because they are contrary to everything we stand for. The organizer said that the player said he would not leave us unless they involve the police, As displaying Nazi imagery is not illegal in Spain. The organizers hesitated let this bring legal trouble upon their club.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: Enough about the situation to know, like, where these guys really just backed into a completely fucked corner and having a lot of options, should that Probably I'm going to guess they could have and should have done more, But I don't really know much about that. What I do know is that this causes a lot of people to get pissed off online, and it blows up enough that Games Workshop has to publish an announcement on November nineteenth, twenty twenty one. The Imperium is driven by hate, Warhammer is not. And in this announcement there's a couple of interesting lines. First off, they're pointing out that, like, look, the imperium of Man is a cautionary table. Like so many aspects of Warmer forty thousand, it is satirical. They go through the definition of what satire is right, Like, that's literally in this little article that they put up, and then they note that said certain real world hate groups, in adherence to historical ideologies better left in the past, sometimes seek to claim intellectual properties for their own enjoyment and co op them for their own agendas. We've said it before, but a reminder about what we believe in. We believe in and support a community united by shared values of mutual kindness and respect. Our fantasy settings are grim and dark, but that is not a reflection of who we are or how we feel the real world should be. We will never accept nor condone any form of prejudice, hatred, or abuse in our company or in the Warhammer hobby. And then they basically they straight out say, if you come to a games workshop of nter store and where symbols of a hate group, we'll ask you to leave if we don't want your money.
Speaker 2: Some things don't need to be said aloud until they do, you know what I mean. Yeah, it's it's an implication, and to be fair, in most places in Europe this would have been against the law. Spain, however, is different for different reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's that c STA vibe. You know, sometimes it applies a little further than it ought to. And I want to note too, to be fair, I don't want it to seem like because as you noted, like this isn't the thing you have to say until you do. There's some valid critiques that there were other things that cropped up for a few years prior to this, that Games Worships should have made a statement earlier. I'm certainly not saying they shouldn't have. We may dig into some of that, you know, later as the podcast goes on, but like, they haven't handled this perfectly, but that's a pretty good message, right that, like we don't want your money, we don't want you in the hobby. And it's good that they did say something eventually, right, you know, this is a publicly traded corporation. They're not they're not a culture warrior and they're not an activist. Yeah, but like, I'm glad that something got fucking said, and they've That's not the only thing they've done in the last couple of years. There's been some more subtle and some less subtle moves. You know, one thing that happened recently, So for years, a lot of fans have asked for, like as the get because as Warhammer's got more popular, more women have played, and they've added in more female models for different like sides and stuff. There's more female guardsmen than there used to be, more female elder and you know, they've they've at least and the Sisters of Battle, which is an all female line, has gotten like a refresh line and a lot more attention. You know, they've done this a few ways. But a lot of people want there to be female space marines and this is kind of a you know, still a topic of a lot of debate within the actual lore itself. The Emperor like they can only be male because of how the Emperor designed their gene seed and stuff. And the real reason for this, obviously is that like nobody thought about it in nineteen eighty seven, that like they would want there to be like the female models for space. They were thinking about that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And it would hardly be the first bit of lore that was retcon, like, right, like the Tapestry of Warhammer Law is a series of retconnings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that said, I also do kind of one thing that I appreciate is in some of the more recent lore when they've gone back to like talk like feature have books that feature the Emperor and talk about the creation of the space Marines. One way they've kind of retcon things is because there's a conversation between the Emperor and one of his top advisors who's like, I thought, you should have made all the primarks, you know, your sons that were the leaders of these legions women, Like they should have all been girls, like they're leaders in the space because we would have had less problems. They wouldn't have all wound up going to fucking war with you. They would have been less annoying. And I kind of do like the idea that all space Marines are men because the Emperor is just kind of a misogynist, like, and it led up destroying him, right the fact that he yeah, it kind of does like it sort of works. But one thing MS Workship did do recently is they introduced the Emperor's body guard or these other group of fucking future super soldiers, the custodes who or the castode is whatever it fucking fake Latin pronunciation you want to use. And they've been adding like female sculpts, like female heads and stuff you don't really tell with the faces. But a chunk of people online lost their goddamn minds. I'll tell you that right now. The most I'm so surprised by this crazy over this shit.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it's it's very funny because you'll see them posting stuff like, you know, if you just want to play the hobby, play the hobby, but don't come into my culture and try to like change it, because like you want to you want there to be blue haired you know, girls in your in my fucking game and my culture. Yeah, a lot of these guys being like, oh, this is going to destroy the hobby, Like this is like once woke gets in, it ruins everything. Fucking Warhammer has never been worth more money, Like Games Workshop is one of the most valuable corporations in the entire United Kingdom. Fucking little plastic models of space marines and or and shit are worth more than fishing to the British economy. And it's an island.
Speaker 2: I can play these weird space monsters like Tyrannids or orcs, and but you know when when you add women to the mix, really ruining the immersion. What's the most unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Fucking fucking insane man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's very silly, and you know, at at its core this is a culture war centered over a very important problem for creatives, though, which is that, like when you're creating fictional fascist organizations, whether they are impossibly advanced sci fi empires or like a cult of deranged post apocalyptic bikers, there's a risk that you're gonna make that some of the fans of your work will be fans of those fictional fascists, and not in a I just think they look cool way, but in a I have some opinions about you know, this racial group way right, and real fascists, as we noticed, spent decades getting really good at using stuff like that as a bridge to start propagandizing to young people. Whether we like it or not, fictional worlds are battlegrounds and the broader culture war against ascendant fascist sentiment worldwide. Fabrizio Galley, the creator of that God Emperor Trump float that we started this episode discussing, said something similar in an interview that I read on heavy dot com. The time of intellectuals, philosophers, and of old and worn culture is over. We have entered the era of fantasy video games and virtual life. Yeah, right on the nose there, twenty nineteen. But bang hit the target.
Speaker 2: I hate when you read something from now several years ago. Yep, that's just everything now, yeah that is that is just everything.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's just everything. Well, Joe, I think that's all I've got here. You know, how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: I'm feeling good, Robert. And I hate to say it, yeah, because I love talking about Warhammer, and I love talking about to talk about Warhammer, and I love the weird shit that comes out of it, especially hearing stuff like this, because I don't want people to like this to be the first introduction to Warhamer, like, oh wow, it's populated by fascists.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I go to a local Warhammer club where I live. I'm not going to dox it, but it is full of incredibly lovely people and probably one of the most diverse rooms I've ever been in in the Netherlands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, it's good that we can close up talking about stuff like this because as conservative a weirdo as I was as a kid, I really do think playing Warhammer was one of like the healthier things for me in terms of connecting me to other people who believed different things, like even within the context of like a fucking gaming group at a hobby store in the early two thousands, Like I remember after the invasion of Iraq, like a few weeks or months after, like my friends and I, like, somebody brought in like a print out of like a missile strike on I think it was a BMP on like an Iraqi troop train. You could see frame by frame this thing blowing up like people inside it, and we're fucking shitty tech kids in Texas being like, whoa Like, look, I'd never seen anything like that. And one of the guys we gamed with was like a veteran who'd been like a tanker. I think he had fought in Desert Storm and was not like I had always assumed it was a pretty conservative guy and was not like the most like was a man in his like his forties or fifties who would yell at children over the rules of a video or of a tabletop game. Oh yeah, like that kind of dude. But also when he saw what we were doing and he realized what it was a picture of, he was like, don't do that, Like there were people in there. You don't laugh at something like that, you know, like it's not cool. It's not something to like go like whoa over, Like it's not a game, like like it's the most terrifying thing you can possibly imagine, and you need to have more respect and as like a fucking twelve year old little piece of shit like that actually like hit and impacted me, and I was like, oh yeah, I was kind of if, like, fucking this guy is calling me out for being a dick. I might have been being a dick.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, he's dressed head to toe an Imperial Guard cosplay like he should.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Hey man, death isn't funny covered in I had to tell all right, Joe, you want to plug your book before we roll out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I am the host of the history podcast The Lines led by Donkeys. So if you like military history, check us out. And my first gunpowder fantasy novel, The Highlands Burned, comes out May ninth, and you can digitally pre order it now, so uh check that out. Reviews are coming in. They're very positive and I'm really excited for it to release.
Speaker 3: Excellent. I am very excited to read it and excited for our listeners to read it. And also Joe I'm excited for you and I to have a podcast about Warhammer. When's it coming out? Neither of us know. Helly, there's gonna be a little bit of a delay, like we're currently dealing with. You know, there's a lot of logistical issues, including like just bringing you on and signing contracts because you're in a different country and stuff. We'll figure it out. There will be a podcast and it'll be a weekly show. It'll come out at some point this year. We just don't know exactly when yet. But we wanted to tease the idea for all of you and show you kind of what we've got coming down the pipe because we both kind of tease this online and social media a couple times, and I felt like bad about not putting something.
Speaker 2: Out people had noticed people had.
Speaker 3: So we'll be getting you. You know, we'll have more coming out soon. The show will be usually forty minute to an hour long episodes. We'll be covering you know, history and the lore in game. We'll be covering like real world reporting on different controversies around the game. You have a great pitch for that, based on another one of these like weird political culture war things that hits like a convention where people are like playing gaming and doing like painting contests and how the community deals with it. So we'll be talking about like both real life, how this this hobby is influencing and has been influenced by the shit going on in the world, and we're going to talk about just the nerdy shit that we love. Like I'm looking forward to putting together a painfully detailed history of like the concept of a space marine in sci fi fiction and how that's led us to like games workshop building an empire. Yes, yeah, and yeah, Like what are you most excited to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'm incredibly excited to talk about and explain how the Imperial Guard works to people and how and how they die by the tens of millions.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's all for today, folks. We'll be back later, I mean, at some point.
Speaker 2: With a show.
Speaker 1: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast m