Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers.
Speaker 3: In the penthouse.
Speaker 2: Wow to the Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere, back at it on a mail bag kind of day. It's the Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio and we're gonna have the mail bag Danny. But we did not get the pop culture yesterday, so we have to get to some of the pop goes the culture stories of the day. So let's start with that. And that means Ohio Alojobojob all right, the great Ohio out there with his magic doing it yet again. So pop goes to culture. These are some random stories we found that did not come up at least on the show that I do, possibly Covino and Rich. But let's get to it and here we go. So British Airways making some headlines this week as they had a catering issue on a flight, so they improvised. Do you see this story bouncing around here? This is in Australia and passengers on a British Airlines flight from was it Turks and the what is it the other caicos? Turks and caicos there from a flight from there to London. The catering people left some food out the twelve hour flight. Twelve hour flight British Airways. They landed in the Bahamas for a stopover and they were supposed to put some food on the plane and the food was messed up. And so the people that worked at British Airways they realized this is a long flight. The people need something to eat. So they went out to a Kentucky Fried Chicken and bought several buckets of fried chicken and served the travelers pieces of chicken. You get a chicken leg, you get a breast, you get a wing. Good luck, knock yourself out nice. I like the breast, well, I think we all do. But there's a there's a video that's gone viral of the employees there, the cabin crew holding buckets of KFC And if that does not turn into a KFC commercial or a British Airways commercial. That's cool. The people somebody screwed up. The food was all messed up and the flight attendance and the people that work in British Airways went out and got some chickens.
Speaker 3: But we were kids.
Speaker 4: Do you remember OJ Simpson on the TV commercials for Pioneer Chicken.
Speaker 1: Yes, Pioneer was the rival of KFC did not make it though they lost.
Speaker 4: My grandmother's go to move for the weekend. She would load us up in her station wagon with folding chairs. She would sit in the drive through at Pioneered Chicken and get two buckets of magical fried chicken, take us to the drive in movie theater, take out folding chairs, and then with some napkins and paper plates, throw the fried chicken on the plates, hand it out and there was dinner in a movie.
Speaker 1: So all you need. It's the key to life right there. My parents also, when I was a kid, we eat more Pioneered Chicken than Kentucky Fried Chicken. And then it was before it was KFC, it was they just call it in it called KFC, they called Kentucky. Ver we ate more Pioneer. There was one right near the house, and then eventually we shifted over whatever was cheaper. Mom My mom would go to Pioneer was cheaper than KFC, had some special or some coupon, so we would go there.
Speaker 3: I believe that there's one Pioneer left in LA.
Speaker 1: Only one last one standing, the last like the last Blockbuster video, the last one standing. Well, a new disaster from Hollywood. And even though everyone's on strike right now, they're not making new projects, but Disney putting together a remake of snow White. We talked a little bit about this a while ago. This thing is going to be worse than that female all female Ghostbusters movie.
Speaker 3: That is quite an accomplishment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is next level there. So some video popped up recently and it has Rachel Zegler. She's in this as a key role as the star of the live action remake of Snow White. And some video popped up here. She was some expo with the woman that plays Wonder Woman, the Israeli actress, and so they were chatting about Snow White, and she said they are reimaging Snow White and they would shift. The plan is in this movie and nobody's seen it because I don't even know if it's done yet, but it's the values of a Disney princess and the dreams and all that, and so, when asked specifically what was going to happen, she said that snow White would bring a more modern edge to the character and it's not nineteen thirty seven and all that, and then pointed out that the snow White movie will not have the star snow White there be saved by the prince. She will not be dreaming about true love Danny. She'll be dreaming about becoming the leader she knows she can be, and the leader that her late father told her.
Speaker 3: There you go, gal Gado, you were talking about wonder Woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, gal Gado. So but anyway, they're changing. If this is right, snow White, but why not just make a new movie, go hard on a guy, mess around with snow White. Just make a new movie where the lead female character is not trying to be saved by the prince. It's like, what are you doing? You're just annoying people with that. People can get suckered in to seeing snow White because of the snow White brand. They're like, Hey, I know snow White, and I see it, and I was a fan of snow white. My family liked it when I was a kid and all that. So this thing's going to be a hot, hot, hot, hot mess, is what that's going to be. Next up on Pop Goes the cultureal I saw Megan Kelly got body slammed this week. She was asking people to donate to a friend's charity. That friend was trying to raise thirty thousand dollars was a GoFundMe, and she is worth eight million dollars and she was asking people to donate to a gofund me. So people were getting pissed off.
Speaker 4: Singers and athletes whenever they do this, they get crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tough one, you know. That's like you're asking the peons, the peasants to donate money, and you could what's thirty if you're worth eight million, what is thirty thousand dollars? Nothing? Right? Yes? Yeah, man, I'll do a couple more and then we'll get to the mailbag. On Pop Goes the Culture, Well, a young lady went viral. She posted a bunch of folks you see this Danny on I think it was on Instagram, and she had all her different mugshots and eleven of them rested eleven times.
Speaker 3: Damn Genie and Medford run for her money.
Speaker 1: Oh that isn't honey. She's only twenty three years old. She went to the University of Eastern Kentucky or Easton Kentucky University, Western Kentucky University. She should have gone to Northern and Southern Kentucky as well, complete all of them. But anyway, she's was arrested at least eleven times. And she posted a bunch of mugshots for a different rest and she was very excited about it there and it's gone viral. And of course if she was ugly, Danny, I'm guessing it would not have gone viral.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Isn't there a correlation between perceived beauty and the amount of people that click on a certain story like this? Right? It's yeah. Anyway, she's somewhat attracted depending on your type, and called the Queen of Chaos. It's wonder you can get famous, and this has been the way for a while, but you can get famous just from from this. Remember the guy a couple of years back, there was a guy that had a mug shot that was like a model.
Speaker 3: I think tattoos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he got a modeling deal. Because like women were all, you know, all excited.
Speaker 4: Did he started hanging out with celebrities like B C listers at first, and then he was spotted with some A listers even got a murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. Let's get to the mailbag. What do you say, time for the mailbag. Let's do it. Here we go. These are actual letters, some actual people, and we even have a song for this. Right, Ohio, I'll do your thing. It's very good. First up, we have j from Saint Louis. He says, Hey, Ben and Danny. Ben, you said this week on the show that you had a story about a former baseball player named Dave Hanson. You said you didn't have time to tell it. Can you enlighten us here on the podcast? Yes, Jay, I, and thank you for emailing. I don't think we've had Jay email us before, so thank you Jay for that. I appreciate it. Always good to hear or see new names that submit content. So, yes, Jay, I've told this story a few times over the years, but there's always new people listening, right, Danny, The audience is always growing. We hope. If not, we're doing something wrong. So years ago I did a local show in Los Angeles and we had a big budget. They had a lot of money to throw around, and they this is so long ago. The Dodgers had this guy named Davey Johnson who was managing the team. Davey had had great success. He managed the nineteen eighty six Mets, one of the great iconic teams in baseball history, and he had then I think he went to Baltimore. Anyway, it might have been Cincinnati then Baltimore, but he ended up with the Dodgers. And it's a long time ago, and I'm doing the midday show. The afternoon drive show paid Davy Johnson a ton of money and they had a weekly radio show, the Davy Show with Davy Johnson. Now I'm not here to besmirch the name.
Speaker 3: Of Davy Johnson.
Speaker 1: He's still alive. But let's just say Davey was not that into the radio show.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: Snooze inducing.
Speaker 3: They paid hostage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it was really agony more than anything. So we were kind of pissed off because the radio station had spent all this money in the afternoon show. And you know how competitive people are and radio in any business, but we were kind of pissed off. We were the midday show. We got nothing at that time, we had no budget. They spent all the money on the morning show in the afternoon. So I was covering the team and I I said, you know what we got to do. Let's mock the Davy Show. The Dodgers have this guy named Dave Hanson who's a backup infield, plays third base, pinch hitter, really good pinch hitter. Why don't we have our own version of the Davy Show and we'll have Dave Hanson on. And Dave's a socow guy. And I don't know what ever happened to him after he left the Dodgers. He played with the Cubs, I believe after that. But I was somewhat friendly with Dave, and so he played with the Dodgers. We asked him, kind of kiddingly, would you come on every week and do a show? And he said, sure, why not? You know, he gives a call it did it. We didn't pay him. He just like loved it, you know, a lot of stories. So we had him on and this thing killed Dandy. He was telling stories about surfing and life and it was entertaining and wonderful and great and all that, and so so What ended up happening is the following season, the Afternoon Show hired Dave Hanson and paid him to go on their show.
Speaker 3: Oh come on, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We lost Dave Hanson to the other show. And so that's my Dave Hanson story that he came on. He was great, he upstaged Davy Johnson, and we lost him to the Afternoons. I don't blame him because they paid and it's just really annoying. I said, what do you do? You know that's our guy, and we did it at first to mock their show and then it ended up working out well.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Next up, doctor Alf from the delivery room. Will Daddy G be recording the podcast from the hospital when the missus G goes into labor and will you Ben be there to deliver the baby? And opportunity to add another nickname to the Hopper. Yes, I have not been invited, nor do I want to be invited to that. That's all Danny. You're right there. You can take care of that. Danny. You've had the training. You're good to go, are you now? Are you gonna look or you're not gonna look? Daddy? What's the move going to be?
Speaker 4: I don't know yet I'm going to fill out the situation. Game time decision, game time decision. Yeah, I've heard it both ways.
Speaker 1: I've heard some people have said, I've had got you know, buddies of mine over the years that have said, oh, yeah, it's amazing, you want to see it. It's the beginning of life, you know, the real life, you know, and all that. And then I've heard other people say no, because there's certain things you will never want to do again. If you watch that show, that that show, you'd think it's from another planet and you just want no part of that. So it really depends on how you're wired. Yeah, and also how much trouble you'll be in if you don't, you know, if you don't do what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: I guess right, you know how the Barbie movie is the rage right now? Yeah, I wish it was the nineteen fifties because then I could just be in the cigar room.
Speaker 1: Passing out stogies. Yeah, here we go, boys, I got a kid, all right, Mike, Mike and fulletin right, since says hello, Ben and Danny g. When Dan Patrick's time slot opens up in four years, will both of your respective shows be throwing their hat into the ring to take it over. I hope things don't get ugly between you two. I'd hate to see a fifth hour civil war. Can't wait, says Mike. Yeah, well of course. Well it'll be like that scene from Anchorman, and we'll just it'll be me Eddie and Coop and Iowa Sam. We'll take on Danny g Covino and Rich and all you guys, and then we'll just go at it and we'll have like machetes and all kinds of muskets and all kinds of random things. Go after yourself, san Diego.
Speaker 4: So yeah, be careful. We have Ramos on our team. He bites ankles.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's an ankle biter, that John Ramos for sure. Yeah, he's like Jeff van Gundy. He hangs on to the ankles of people. He says. Also, if you have time for more, one more question, Mike says, what's your guy's opinion on fabric softener?
Speaker 3: Yay or nay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, Mike, I think you should talk to Brian Finley. He's a he's a kirky dad. Did you know that, daddy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Man, he have not paid too much attention to his social media.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't. I don't. I'm really not on social media much. But I saw him in the hallways this week and he looked a little disheve. He always looks a little disheved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks like he just rolled out of bed literally ten minutes before airtime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little flustered. He had a shirt saying a corky dad on it in a picture of a corky and then it said dad under and I said, wow, that's that's impressive. But yeah, Brian's really good that fabric softener stuff.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, you need to use some on his hair because half of his hair is like sticking up, like yeah, yeah, he's like like a.
Speaker 1: Nineties movie character from some kind of like comedy, like a nineties comedy. It is odd look, an odd od look. But I just can't answer that. It's an offensive question to be about fabric softener. I don't know, Danny. Do you do the laundry at the house over there, Danny or you're the laundry person.
Speaker 4: I do the heavy lifting, so I'll take laundry baskets down, I'll carry them up. But yeah, I'm not the one in charge of making sure the fabric comes out soft. I know that we do use some though, and then when you dry the clothes, make sure that you throw a couple of bounce strips in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I've refused to answer the question, so I will not answer the question. But if I were to answer the question, Danny, I would point out that I used to use fabric softener. My wife allergic to it, so do not use fabric softener anymore. But I can't answer the question, so I'm sorry. I hope you understand, Mike. I did not answer the question. Kevin in Kansas Rights and he says, dear Ben and Danny, g you both live hectic lives with all the schedules. Do you have any advice for creating quality downtime in your daily life to keep your sanity. That's from our buddy Kevin. He's a teacher. I can tell Kevin's having a good summer because the questions have slowed down a little bit. Kevin's enjoying himself before he gets back to the grind. So I am really bad at downtime. I don't do downtime. Well, I'll go first. The only thing I do during the week is after I get done doing a little prep for the show, and I take a shower, and then before I go to bed, I play on I play games on my phone. I play Solitaire, and there's like an alien shooting game that I play, like a ripoff of Galaxians from back in the day. So I play that. That's about it. And then on weekends when I have a little downtime, I'll I love going to the beach during the summer, and then in the winter not so much. But that's about it. What about you, Danny downtime? How do you keep your sanity?
Speaker 4: I have one book that I've been trying to read. In that book, I'm probably on like chapter twenty.
Speaker 1: I thought you would be like the bron and say I'm on page two.
Speaker 5: I have a huge basketball too, But no, but chapter twenty is not good because I've been reading this book supposedly for I don't know, three or four months, so I should be finished with this book music books.
Speaker 4: And then if life gets too hectic and kids are causing too much of a stir, I go down to the garage.
Speaker 1: That's good. You should get like a punching bag in there.
Speaker 3: I actually do have a stand up punching bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be perfect. Just unload on that and curse and you can do both at the same time.
Speaker 3: Mike Tyson style.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Next, Barry from South Carolina says, yo yo ma Benny. He used to be in Nashville, but now he says, he's in South Carolina. Yo yo ma Benny. And Danny g still drives me crazy. People call you and everyone asks how are you doing? Just say yo yo ma Benny, which means love the show and get to what you're calling about and stop wasting precious broadcast time. He says. My question this week is would you entertain having an A and A segment where you would have Andrea and andre as back to back callers. This way, those listeners who don't care for these two callers can go about other things for fifteen minutes while these two are on the air. Wow, I think that's a splendid idea. That's from Barry from South Carolina.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just not every caller is a masterpiece, and there are people that love andre Andre is very polarizing because some people love his calls from the Commonwealth, other people hate him, and the same with Andrew. There's certain people that love looking at star charts and figuring things out and all that, and there's other people that think that's quackery and they want nothing to do it. As far as the delay, though, you are absolutely right, Barry, I brought this up before. It's fascinates me doing this a long time. I listened to radio before I got into radio, So my entire life I've loved radio and broadcasting and audio content. And to think the first radio station which used to be a Fox Sports radio affiliate, I think it plays oldies music now WKAP in Allentown, Pennsylvania, was the first radio station that ever had a tape delay or a delay like a small delay for broadcast. And it goes back to nineteen fifty two. Nineteen fifty two was the first year that this radio station did their thing. It was a show called open Mic and that is the first time a television call in show slash Radio was broadcast with a television conversation live on the air. The FCC had rules that prohibited the broadcast of live television, you know, conversation like from phones and on. But they put a new rule in prohibiting the playback unless you provided a beap. That was heard every fifteen seconds, so that was the workaround on that. But that WKP in Allentown Pierre was the first nineteen fifty two. So you get through the fifties, the sixties, the seventies, the eighties, the nineties, the odds, the last decade. We are talking about over seventy years of delay on radio and still people say how you doing? OZZIEZ writes in from how you doing? By the way, Western Ostex from Western Australia, says my mates Big Ben and Danny G. Last week I got the opportunity to go to an underground operational mine, as normally I only operate at an open pit mine. So my question, have either of you guys ever been to or seen any sort of mining operation. You did send some photos here Danny, and it looks pretty impressive. This thing looks like I guess the comparison in America be the Grand Canyon. It looks massive there in Western Australia. So the only mining I've been to is at Kotsberry Farm. They have some mining there, a little gold panhandling you can do and not panhandling, but you can pan for gold at Knottsbury Farm and do a little mining that way. It's an amusement park. And then there was a ghost town on the way to Vegas, I believe where they have like an old mine. That's about it, Danny. Any mining that you've done, any kind of mining operation you've been part of back in your days when you were a coal miner in West Virginia.
Speaker 3: No mining.
Speaker 4: I have been underground before though, at Oregon Caves.
Speaker 3: It's a national monument.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: That was really cool. Little claustrophobic being underneath the ground there in tight spaces, you know. Oh, in the in northern California, Columbia is one of the little towns, tons of like little gold mines set up where you can take the family and pan for gold. It's Twollamee County in California. So if you ever want to visit the old California gold rush scene, very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure Ozzie Oz wants to fly from Western Australia to come hang out.
Speaker 3: He would love that part of California. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Oreo Cookie writes in says my conspiracy theory of the week, Benny the Bopper and Danny g is there really a Lisa? Why would she call weed man? So early in the morning. What would they talk about. I think it's been I think it's him being crazy and doing the voice of Lisa. I've never heard them talking at the same time. Can you bust him? By the way? I love weed Man Man, I love you so Orio Cookie. I will certainly bring that up with weed Man in one of these conversations we have here with Lisa. It is an odd thing because, according to weed Man he told me the story a little bit. He's our caller from Miami who calls up for lame jokes. We actually end up calling him to wake him up. He used to call on his own. But weed Man told me that he and Lisa were like a thing back in New York before weed Man lost the family money on Wall Street when the market crashed, and so because of Lisa's father, I don't know if I should air all of the laundry on the air. But Lisa's dad apparently hated weed Man because he lost all the money and would not allow them to get married. But they're still very close and weed Man has her on the phone. It's it's kind of sad and romantic at the same time, Like they stay on the phone all night, because I don't know that. I don't know what they talk about. Weed Man doesn't do anything very odd and she lives on Long Island or something like that. She's got a fair amount of money or I don't know the other more than that. But I will bring it up orio Cookie.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 1: I'll try to remember to bring that up to weed Man, Nick and Wisconsin. Right, since says Ben and Danny g I am coming back this week after my three week protest of you Ben slandering my name Nixon's as I was. I was not not the person who posted the axe video. That was Kyle in Denver. I called in to support you Ben. I guess you forgot that's a bad job by me being from the North. I'm going down to sand Antonio at the end of August with my wife. Yay, yay. So question, would you rather deal with one hundred and twenty degrees or zero degrees for three months? Yeah? So I would go with the hot. I would go with the hot, Danny, because just get a good air condition. I've lived in hot places, and where I used to live before I moved, it was really hot, and that's fine as long you get a fan and an air condition. You're fine. I feel like it's easier to cool down than it is to warm up, surely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wouldn't want to make a fire.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't want firewood chopped up ahead of time and could just burn a fire for yourself in the cold weather. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I liked the feeling of going out of one hundred and fifteen degrees and going into seventy degrees. You know, that's I enjoy that.
Speaker 3: That Vegas casino feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're overwhelmed by the air conditioning, and not that it's not great to walk into a heated room, but you freeze your nuts off like you did, Danny the other day. With the weather and all that and the power going out.
Speaker 3: It's like about that.
Speaker 1: But what would you you sound like you would pick the cold, Danny.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm right in the middle on that one. Like I do not enjoy the day.
Speaker 1: Get out of the middle of the road, Danny, Get off the fence, Danny, Danny, come on.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's here's the here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Then I wouldn't enjoy having to go to your car a half hour ahead of time, chipping away the ice and the walkway.
Speaker 3: What do they do they shovel the snow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah you get Oh, if you're rich, you got a snowblower.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you gotta here you go because obviously.
Speaker 1: The black ice you could slip on and break your back.
Speaker 3: Racist because of ice.
Speaker 4: I probably would choose the one and twenty degree weather, but if there was no eye, I wouldn't mind the cold.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough? Next up, Thank you, Nick, I'm glad you're back. You've ended your protest. Was it successful? Well, it was more successful than the NFL running back protest.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 1: Next up, Mickey d in Central Texas rites in. He says, what is the last thing you eat before going to bed? For me, it is a piece of fruit. Yeah, so the last thing I eat, Mickey, The last thing I eat is whatever I had for my meal that day, because I eat once a day during the week and whatever that. Maybe it's a piece of rice, maybe it's a piece of chicken. I don't know. That's it. I don't do more than that, but that's my answer. You have any special routine, Danny, before you go to bed, you eat some cookies or I don't know, ice cream.
Speaker 4: Or not anything heavy, but usually a small treat after dinner, because now it's been what a couple hours after dinner, we have a little bit of a sweet tooth while we're watching like ninety Day Fiance or Match Me Abroad or whatever ridiculous show, and like my girl will take out a thing of red vines and we'll just each take a couple of red vines. So normally when I'm brushing my teeth, about a half hour later, the color red is coming out of my mouth.
Speaker 3: Wonderful, it looked like a vampire.
Speaker 1: Well, ask and you shall receive Nick. And Nick in Nebraska that we had Nick and was concernedo. This is a different Nick we are. It's like not Nick at night, it's Nick on the weekends. It's wild. Nick in Nebraska says, have you or Danny g had any encounters with sharks, jellyfish, or any other ocean creatures since you both were born and raised in California. Yes, yes, I love snorkeling in Catalina with all kinds of exotic fish. And when I was a little kid there were I was playing with jellyfish back in the day and never never run into a shark. Don't have that swam when I was in Hawaii with a sea turtle that was awesome, nice and a seal. And it was only after we got out of the water that we found out when you see a seal in the water, the local decorum in Hawaii, you're supposed to get out of the water. We didn't know that. We swam towards the The authorities there do not look kindly to you going that close to their sea life. Yeah, but the swimming with the sea hurtle sea turtle, this was like three four hundred pounds, amazing, awesome, like the coolest thing. You think you're like next to a teenage mutant ninja turtle. They're so big, they're massive, a couple hundred pounds. It's not said any ocean incidents, Danny, you want to share with the class.
Speaker 4: I mean, Snorkeling has been a big thing on the Hawaii trips. I never thought that I would feel comfortable being in the middle of the huge ocean like that. That's been cool to see the fish and we saw some baby sharks the last time we were in Hawaii, which was kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Isn't that a song baby shark? I feel like that was.
Speaker 4: In California, we go to Moro Bay sometimes love Bay. My girl and her family they meet up there once a year and they do camping right next to the water, and they'll go into the ocean with some wetsuits because the water is super cold. A couple. This was like two summers ago. My girl got faded. She was drinking too many white claws. Yeah, and she's like, oh my god, there's a there's a sea otter in the water and he's got two shells that he's hitting together. And she she kept going into the ocean because she thought the sea otter was her new best friend.
Speaker 1: Boy.
Speaker 4: I swear to god it was the alcohol. But according to her, she swam with the sea otter.
Speaker 1: Ah, they were a year round. Every time I've been to Morrow. But that big rock right next to the rock, they're always there.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, chilling.
Speaker 1: I've never been there, and I've been there a bunch of times over years. I've never been there and not seen the otters. That's the that's their spot. Now, this this just triggered a memory in my head that I had forgotten about from this past weekend. Is that this guy Nick's question. So I'm at the beach, I can't go in the water. I'm sitting in my chair. I'm like, ah, this sucks. You know, I don't go in the water. I usually my feet in the water. I couldn't do that because my my samurai sword accident. So this dude who was around our age, Danny, he's got his kids there. He walks into the ocean, stands, he throws, He doesn't have a fishing rod. He throws like something like a line. He catches a fish that is like massive, right in the waves, and and everyone in the beach is like, what the hell did this guy do? Is he is he some kind of samurai himself? Is he a ninja? What is he? So it turns out the guy said what he does is called hobo fishing. Have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 3: Never heard of that.
Speaker 1: I never heard of that either. Does anyone know what hobo fishing is? Because I think I could do that. All the guy did was standing in the waves. And my wife was like she was a little freaked out. And a bunch of people on the beach were like, what the heck, Like there were kids swimming in the waves and there are these massive fish that are are there nuts? But he called it hobo fishing, where he just stood in the water, and.
Speaker 4: It's almost like I looked it up right now, and the way you hold it, it's like the handle of a lightsaber.
Speaker 3: It's fishing without the rod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had no rod walking out of the water and this one of the fish was the size of his leg, his lower leg.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And I was like, this this actually works. I was like, I could probably do that. I think I'd be all right. I could be a hobo fisherman.
Speaker 3: Wonder what he was using.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea. I'd never seen anything like that before. And I'm sure there's somebody listening right now who's gonna email and say, hey, dummies, this is the original fishing. You're all a bunch of morons. Shame on you. Yeah, so thank you. A couple more quick ones. Jay Bone from Beautiful Portland, Maine says, hey, Ben, did you ever find your Amazon gift card in your email? So this did come up on the show last? Was it last week? I think it was? It all runs together, but yeah, So we were talking about holiday gifts and how the company used to give holiday gifts and then and they stopped giving holiday I said they stopped giving holiday gifts last year, and then some of the guys said, oh, no, no, no, no, they sent Amazon gift cards.
Speaker 3: Hey, you didn't know about it?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, so I said, I didn't know about it. And because I don't check the company email.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then people were asking me if I had found my my gift card and JB and I have not. I haven't even really looked for it because I don't know my email password. I got to it's a whole in the ass, man. You got to reset the password. And I don't check the company email. I don't wan't do it at all. Last one, did you get a gift card?
Speaker 4: Danny?
Speaker 3: I sure did.
Speaker 1: Oh and see now now does it? Do you think it's still good?
Speaker 3: That's not going to expire?
Speaker 4: All right, I'll check it is definitely sitting there in your inbox. Oh man, you have missed out on so much over the years by not being in tune with your work email.
Speaker 1: Well, you're my guy. Remember we have a deal, Danny. When they when the company gives the giveaways to certain promotional nights, you got to let me know because you're my guy, because you get all those emails and stuff because you're working to day.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: My wife always gets upset because I tell her, oh, yeah, Danny got yeah, he got free tickets to this thing and that thing from them. What don't we ever go? I said, well, I don't check my company email. Well why don't you check your company email? I have to explain, Well, because I when I got whacked from the company, the first thing they do before you can even collect your email is delete the email. So I don't want to have that problem again. So anyway, loser. Last one from Burrow, Guido rights and he says, if the Astros played the Podres in the World Series, who are you rooting for? Bush? Is not an answer? Well, that's easy. Do you think that's a hard question. You think that's a brain bender? That's not a brain bender. The answer is the Podres, that's the answer. I used to work in San Diego when I worked as an intern I started out in radio. I used to go to Padre games and I'd buy the cheapest ticket at Jack Murphy Stadium, and by the second inning on those businessman specials every Thursday, they'd have a day game and I would be sitting wherever I wanted, behind the visitors. Doug As usually where I went. Because the Padres had bad team but sometimes I sit near the Padres Dug guy and see Tony Gwynn and Bip Roberts and Ken Caminetti and those kind of guys, and so yeah, it would easily be the Padres. In fact, the Astros could play a team from Afghanistan and I'd pull for the team from Afghanistan. So yes, anybody the Astros play, just about I'm gonna pull for.
Speaker 4: So now, which habit do you blame on those old Padres chew or steroids?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Are you're talking about the untimely demise of certain Padres?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Ken Kammanedti was drugs? Right? He died in Brooklyn, right? I think I don't know what happened to Tony Gwynn. Man, he was such a nice guy.
Speaker 3: God oh man, that sucks.
Speaker 1: He was such a good dude. Of all the people I've been around when I was doing that, when I was a radio stringer, Tony Gwynn was the most grounded, down to earth person. He was from the LBC and the Padres played the Dodgers in LA and all his friends, and he just like didn't want to deal with any of the hullabaloo and all that. Tony Gwinn, good guy and really cool. I'd have one of my radio friends in San Diego stayed in San Diego, did radio, became really good friends with Tony and all that. All right, it is a Sunday. We are done. That is it. We have closed the mail bag. If you would like to send a question in for a future mail bag, you can do that care of Ben Malors show on the Facebook page or Real Fifth Hour at gmail dot com. You can send an email in anytime you want for the mailbag Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Anything you want to promote Danny. I will be back in the Magic radio box tonight doing the radio thing from eleven pm Sunday night into Monday morning at three am. But if you're on the East Coast two am to six am and you have a day of rest today on baby watch Danny.
Speaker 4: As long as the water doesn't break, I will be in there producing and having fun with Covino and Rich on the Monday afternoon show two to four pm on the West Coast, that's five to seven pm in New York City.
Speaker 1: I have a wonderful rest of thank you for listening to all these podcasts. Man, we really do appreciate it. And originally we started this, we did one podcast a week, and then we morphed into three. And we'll leave it at three, but to have a wonderful day and we'll catch you next time later.
Speaker 3: Skater by Felatia