Speaker 1: Well, hello, Taxan said, Welcome to the show. As training camp continues, guys are milling around the building. Guys are getting ready for a day off Thursday. Oh wait a minute, tomorrow's Wednesday, so there's no day off for another day.
Speaker 2: But they're okay, they're okay. They's Sunday off.
Speaker 1: Just back to back days in pads. Mark Vandermain and John Harris with you. Johnny, I don't know this. So are we thinking they're in pads tomorrow or not? After two consecutive days in pads.
Speaker 3: I think that they will. If they're wearing pads, it'll be a little they'll tone it down, maybe a little bit to the extent that they can't because you know, you know how these guys are, they don't back off. Yeah, so I think they will be out of pads. I think they'll be out of pads. I think it'll they'll still it'll still be a Texas type practice, but they'll just be out of pads. They'll come back Friday, right Friday. I think Friday. They put the pads back on on Friday. Saturdays and night practice pads pads. So I think they'll go pads Friday Saturday, Sunday off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, front, so this is actually nice for them.
Speaker 1: I think so right now from where we stand, practice Tomorrow day off, practice, practice day off, right, and then practice practice game week Friday on Wednesday, no, and then Thursday game.
Speaker 4: Oh no.
Speaker 1: I mean you can see the light at the end of the tunnel if you're a player right now.
Speaker 5: It's a very small light.
Speaker 2: It could be an oncoming train.
Speaker 5: But that's what players, that's what players do.
Speaker 3: They start looking forward to, like, hey, I used to look at it. Now we we weren't. I don't remember if we were required to have a day off way back in the day. But when you got one, it was like you thought about it in like day increments, like okay, we got three days for a day off. You got these three days, so okay, let's go hard these three days. And then we you know, we get the day off. And then of course at that point you just laid around.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you can't do anything.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to even think about the next day because we were going back at it. But when Mike Doman said it to day was the best thing about training camp, You're.
Speaker 5: Like, it's over. That was the best thing.
Speaker 3: There's not a football player alive that thought about but thought about training camp being good. But you just have to mentally kind of get yourself in shape and think about it that way. And I think it's easier now with the way that off days are scheduled, like, hey, three days hard, go hardest three days, and then whatever recovery and everything you gotta do that fourth day you get it with the day off.
Speaker 1: Think about this, So I mentioned the Monday, Tuesday next week, then game week Friday, so then you play the game Thursday night, so Friday will be off or whatever, recharge the battery day, and then Saturday they have a practice scheduled a week from Saturday.
Speaker 2: I'm getting way ahead of.
Speaker 1: My but I just want to a practice scheduled that's two days after a game. I know the starters are gonna play much, if at all.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: They'll go semi hard or hard enough, but not that hard because you have to still consider the entire roster when you're practicing. And then I don't know if they have us practice that following Sunday or not. I don't want to get that far ahead. I don't want to get that far ahead, but then you're in another game week already because you have back to back Thursday nighters, and then the following week you're gonna go to Carolina early for a joint practice.
Speaker 5: Everybody gets up for that. Yeah, they'll be up for that, and.
Speaker 2: The Raiders are here. When's the joint practice? Tuesday?
Speaker 5: Tuesday?
Speaker 1: It's a week from Tuesday. So we're getting into it here, we're getting busy. I love it when Thursday, this Thursday passes, then we're in game week mode for the rest of the way. And you have that bye before the season because you don't have a game Labor Day weekend you used to have the Thursday night or prior to Labor Day, we'll have the season premiere instead. That's what we've been doing the last few years with these three preseason games.
Speaker 2: That you play.
Speaker 1: But that bye week it just flies because you come down to the fifty three man roster. You're just kind of gearing up, and then you get into week one, so here we go. I'm saying all this because I'm so excited for games already.
Speaker 2: And I know the general feels the same way. After two or three training camp. This is how I'm ready to go for the season, Johnny. They did coming out today they did that.
Speaker 1: Is not a Diana Ross song, although it was back in the day, was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm coming out?
Speaker 1: Oh you know she's saying that, and it's been used as an anthem for some I guess. But anyway, coming out is you're pinned back deep under the shadow of your goal post, correct inside the five yard line.
Speaker 2: You gotta come out.
Speaker 1: You gotta at least get a first down or two, get some room for the punter, get out of jail. Whatever. So they did that with the ones, the twos, and the threes. I was watching this one from the back of the end zone.
Speaker 5: Yeah you had view.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great seats, great seats when the ball is when the ball gets backed up, whether it's the Texans going into the end zone while offense, defense, whatever, whether it's a team coming out or a team going in, I try and go back to an end zone spot.
Speaker 5: That viewback there is amazing.
Speaker 2: Collisions are wonderful.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's amazing. It's so fun to watch.
Speaker 3: What I like and have always liked about Admiko Ryan's defense is they look at that opportunity to turn that into offense.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Togii had a sensational play. Sensational just came flying through the middle, wrapped up. I think it was quite flying. He came through like the Nesty Plunge. No kool Aid, kool Aid, I'm getting my beverages mixed up. Kool Aid guy bursting through the wall, kool Aid TOGII dove through.
Speaker 3: I mean it was I tell this to people all the time, like Tommy's one of the strongest guys on his team, but that dude is quick. He's cat quick, and I think people miss that. His feet are great, and it's one of the things that makes him so good is he can because he's so strong, because he can get his feet in the right position, because he's so quick, he rarely loses.
Speaker 5: In a battle up front.
Speaker 3: Well, this one, he just darted into the backfield and there was no stopping him and he wrapped up the back before he could even get to the goal line. I think it may have been David, I can't remember, but either way, it was a it was a tremendous play bye by Tommy, and it really was. It was probably the one that that stood out the most, I think from from the coming out team period.
Speaker 1: From that standpoint, there was another play where I think it was Will it was Will or Daniel. I shouldn't get the mixed up up. My eye went to a collision down field.
Speaker 2: It was Will.
Speaker 1: It was Will came into the backfield like he had reservations and he was late for dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was starving.
Speaker 1: Like at Seattle. Yeah, Seattle last year. It was it was noticeable, it was very niceable. He just said, hello, I'm living here.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be a menacing site.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It was from where I was sitting, was up there and go because CJ started to move up in the pocket because the Neils was rushing from the other side, and all of a sudden there's Will. No, Will is not going to hit CJ. But then all of a sudden you're like, oh, and CJ.
Speaker 4: You look.
Speaker 3: CJ has been going to get these guys for a while, so he doesn't have any moment of panic.
Speaker 5: But it's like when you see them, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, defensive players laying off as a thing, and you see it all day long because they have to have to. So they just get their chest on the guy, arms wide open, like I would have killed you, I would.
Speaker 2: Have gotten you.
Speaker 1: And in a real game, you know they're wrapping up and here it is. And this is why we talk about tackling being so important. It's always important, but early in the season, especially when you want to be at your bet where you want to be at your best all the time, all the time. My point is this early in the season, you might see some less than stellar tackling from some teams because they haven't been doing it. You can't really practice that. Kawait is in games right, correct.
Speaker 5: Team, No teams are.
Speaker 3: There might be some teams that push the envelope, that might have a scrimmage or something to that extent where they're taking guys to the ground for a short mind, but.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not worth it, that's what it's not. Well, it's not worth it. You're right about that. It's just it's too risky. But there are some there are some people of a belief that, well, you got to you gotta practice tackling right, Well, there are things you can practice about tackling that aren't just bringing a guy to the ground. Look my university, Brown University, James Perry is the head coach there. They don't tackle anybody in practice. Yeah, they don't tackle anybody in practice.
Speaker 1: But do they tackle people during games. Does it show up in games that they didn't practice this.
Speaker 3: No, the defense hasn't been great, but I don't think it's because they can or cannot tackle. His talent had some hosses, but when they've been pretty good, they've been a good tackling team.
Speaker 5: And he said.
Speaker 3: We had a dinner with him one time in Houston and he was talking about that because some of my fellow alums were kind of you know, old schoolers like.
Speaker 5: Me, like, you know, coach, are you going to get better at tackling?
Speaker 3: And he kind of went into, you know, a soliloquy about how you get better tackling and it has nothing to do with bringing a guy to the ground and increasing the injury percentages.
Speaker 5: And it was really good.
Speaker 3: I mean what he said, and I knew everything that he talked about, so I don't I don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: John Gallardi, longtime coach at Saint John's University D three school up in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: The legend, the legend they never hit anybody, They didn't practice hitting a soul, they didn't tackle anybody, and they were one of the best teams in D three history.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: They didn't.
Speaker 3: It's a long list of things he thought were you know, nonsense about football, and he thought practicing tackling and blocking dummies and all that kind of fit.
Speaker 5: Right in there.
Speaker 3: And they didn't hit anybody, and they end up winning four hundred plus games throughout his career in a bunch of national championships.
Speaker 5: So there are a lot of ways to go about it, but it just.
Speaker 3: Demands that every drill that you can do to make yourself a better tackler, you've got to do. And I always say this, the flip side of that is with a defense like this, if the first guy misses, there are always two, three, four, five.
Speaker 5: Guys that are ready to clean up.
Speaker 2: Swarm.
Speaker 5: And that's right, they swarm.
Speaker 3: And because they do that first guy, my miss, the second, third, fourth probably not going to especially if they're there in succession. And that's the way that they swarm to the football and the way they run, how fast they are. That kind of overcomes some of that bad at the beginning of a year.
Speaker 1: So I know you have Harris hits right on Houston Texans dot com. So here is my hit. Okay, this is a Vander hit. Okay, should I put this one in No. I think it's okay. You probably have this. I haven't read it yet, so I apologize, but I'll say you this. Everyone's asking about the offense, and I've said this. It'll be better than last year. I can't tell you how much, but it'll be better.
Speaker 4: That's correct.
Speaker 1: It's clear that it's better. It's clear that the line has more nasty attitude. It's clear that the running plays are there more right. That's getting some pops and that's gonna help the whole thing. Yes, And then you think about the quarterback and this is clear too.
Speaker 2: He's on target.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: I know everyone's talking about a pick that Bullock had on Monday.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Fine, you know there are some picks the pro bowler exactly. Well, if i'm CJ, this is where I'm taking my chances. I'm gonna try to thread the needle in because I want to see what I can get away with against this defense. If I can get away with certain things is against them, I could probably get away with them against anybody. But I can't speak for him. I can tell you this, though I have seen many more on target balls in this camp. There are some times where there's a completion. He had one to X where X was blanketed still caught the ball, but it was thrown the only possible place where he could catch the ball, and that's why he caught the ball.
Speaker 2: But the coverage was really good. So we've seen some of that, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of that from him in this camp, and I like that he's looking a lot better and I'm eager to see what's next.
Speaker 2: Again, we're only a weekend.
Speaker 1: We've concluded the first week of training camp, six practices, one day off. We were resumed tomorrow, and I think that that can be said right now he looks better and he's heading in the right direction where it goes from here.
Speaker 2: We all got to wait to see it.
Speaker 3: I said, probably the most obvious thing. You and I were talking about that earlier today off the air, and I said, one of the most obvious things that thought about. In fact, he's kind of become a pot item on Twitter. John Mattier, who's a quarterback Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Did you see the one with him without a shirt on here? And it said the p man is going to visit Matier because yes, he looks so jacked up, Jack, though it doesn't look like it was done naturally, So Jack, I don't know if that was photoshop or not.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of funny just to say.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 3: When he was at Washington State, he was a really good run pass quarterback. I mean he's a good, good duel threat, really really good. So when he goes to Oklahoma, that dual threat is still there. It's the same offensive coordinator Ben Arbuckle who went from Washington State Tolahoma to run the same stuff, but now he's facing sec defenses.
Speaker 5: So he's getting a hell beat out of him.
Speaker 3: So in getting a helmet out of him, his mechanics go all to you know what, because he's running the ball eighteen times a game, so he's running.
Speaker 5: Quarterback power, quarterback power.
Speaker 3: He's fighting for first downs, and then all of a sudden he's got to step back and throw a dig route and put it on the numbers to one of his wide receivers.
Speaker 5: Like you can't do you can't do that.
Speaker 3: So the most obvious statement is when a guy gets beat up, a quarterback gets beat up, it impacts his throwing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, how can it not If you get you know, CJ.
Speaker 3: Gets sacked by somebody, even if they're just wrapping up on your your arm and shoulder in that whole area throwing the football.
Speaker 5: It all takes hits, It.
Speaker 3: Hurts, and it impacts your mechanics. So the simple math is, well, don't let him get hit as much. Yeah, because if you don't let him get hit as much, then he's gonna be able to throw the ball and put it on point as well as anybody in his league. He has got accuracy that is top not when he is given the opportunity to throw, and look, he can't, he can't throw. He knows this, and he would he would say this. He don't always throw from a clean pocket, even when he's on the move. Now, like he made it throw, they flipped the period, they went to a red zone. I can't remember he threw a ball to the back of the end zone to somebody today. He made a little move to his right and just and it was I mean it was one of those sammy ball which I left I right eye sort of throws. But again, you get into the season, you start taking some hits and you know, twenty twenty four was sacked how many times? Last year the sack number was better, but he still was taking a lot of hits. They hit against Denver obviously got him a concussion. The sole goal for this offense should be if we keep him from getting hit. This guy will take us places where we all want to go. Watch him throw the damn ball when he's got a pocket.
Speaker 1: It looks good. It looks damn good. And there are more weapons than you think. And I'm gonna give you another vander hit here. Okay, we've got a wr two. Oh yeah, and he's gonna have a big freaking year. Hagan's is gonna have a big year. We haven't seen No yet because he's banged up. We haven't seen Tank yet because he's ramping up. We've seen Higgins though, and Higgins looks really good. He what a huge target. I mean, he's a Nico type target. He's different than Nico. He looks thicker to me, maybe a little bit, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
Speaker 5: Ye Okay.
Speaker 1: He can run fast. You said it, you were talking about this yesterday. The speed, it's there, the hands, it's there. Six touchdowns. Last year, played better in the second half than the first half. Let's see what year two looks like. I think it's gonna be a big year for Jaden Higgins. So let me ask you this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I think about this from time to time, like knowing how close we are in the situation, how close we are to like all these guys and watching him, et cetera.
Speaker 5: And it's really easy to see the good and.
Speaker 3: The players and try to like, eh, you know that was you know a bad play was because of this, this and this. Yeah, what do you think opponents think about us? Like when they're facing the offense. I would imagine that there's the opponents early on are like, look this offense like, Okay, they're gonna have to prove it to us that they're that good. But that means they'll miss out on Higgins. I think they'll misevaluate that. I think the good coaches in the good stats will see, you know what a Collins is good, y'all.
Speaker 5: But if we don't cover eighty one, we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have a lot of issues. Yeah, we're gonna have a lot of freaking issues.
Speaker 1: And Schultz and guess what, you better bring some friends to stop the running game. That's right, because if you can obviously, if you can stop the running game at seven, you're in a good situation as a defense. Right, But I got a feeling that they're gonna get some yards here, They're gonna be in controllable down in distant situations, they're gonna be in second and five, they're gonna be in those situations where they can cash in through the air. And again, big targets, the tight ends, the two receivers big, and then you get the playmakers with Nolan Tank and look X had the one on ones. He had a couple of catches that were so terrific, and then you look at whatever else you know, Lewis Bond brings to the mix. I don't even know if he makes the initial fifty, but I got a feeling that he might. Yeah, you know, we talked about the receivers the other day and how many they might keep. So many guys to keep your eyes on, so many guys who we're doing all these interviews right now, and Shelby Koppage did one today with Marlon Klein and she'll do another one tomorrow. And I was thinking, let's get some guys who we know are gonna play a lot in the preseason, because she's the preseason sideline reporter. Let's get those stories going because preseason games, all right, maybe Game two you get the starters playing more, but Games one and three we're gonna see a lot of reserve, second, third, fourth line guys, and those are interesting stories on those game broadcasts.
Speaker 5: So we got to give to them no doubt.
Speaker 3: And again for a team where the stars are well known, Yeah, there's no doubt. The stars are well known, but it's the depth that will that will help take this team to another level this year. You know the secondary with Jay Rock, Kamari Ramsey, you guys we talked about this morning, Jalen Reed. You know guys in second year, rookie year that have got to step up and be part of that secondary if one of those stars goes down. Linebacker Wade Wood, has Aiden Fisher, you know the young guys. You know Marte mop who coming over from New England. What's his role? How does he fit in all the defensive linemen? My god, I was watching that whole rotation today, Mark and they're they're the rotation. I mean, Clowney was out there playing. It was he got like three pass rushes because I think there were three passes the place he was in there for a team. But then they called for the second group and it was like these four guys went in.
Speaker 5: I'm like, well, wait a second, Well these guys, holy cow. And you know who the ones are.
Speaker 3: I mean it's Daniel and Will and you know at one point they had Sheldon and Tommy with others moving in and out with the second group third Like.
Speaker 5: I'm just watching them and I'm like, holy crap.
Speaker 1: Oh, they have guys for days. They have defensive linemen forever. They're gonna want to keep fifteen of these guys, It's amazing.
Speaker 5: Well it's like Rod Right took over his GM.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll do that to wind Rod Right sign clowning sign, Mario Edwards.
Speaker 5: I need these guys.
Speaker 2: Well wait a minute, but you have a lot, no, not enough? Yeah, Rod Wright's the GM.
Speaker 1: I think tomorrow would be a good day to talk about the D line and start thinking about how many they might keep, because you want to talk tough, they're gonna have that is a tough position.
Speaker 2: Is that the most loaded group on the team. Yeah, absolutely, no question.
Speaker 3: Getting I mean you talk about star power depth.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if they have a big enough meeting room for how many guys they have right now.
Speaker 3: Mark, I just you know they've got guy, they got younger guys. I mean, obviously you throw came back in there, and you know he's in there with the with the veats.
Speaker 1: You know, you forget about Caden McDonald and they drafted him high. I mean, he's got to make the football team, right. That's a lot of pressure to get these picks right. There's a lot of pressure off the pick when you have such established veterans. This is a luxury problem. Seldom in organization history have we seen this where well, you drafted a guy in the second round, but is he really good? What wait a minute, this is the second round, this is automatic. Well, he's got to fit in. He's got to make it, you know, and look the means you got wrong. I guess.
Speaker 2: So if he can't make it, I'm not saying McDonald's not gonna make it. McDonald's gonna make it.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's a hell of a player, hell of a prospect, but you only have so many spots. My point is that it's not an automatic that you're gonna start. You know, when we started this rebuild with Nick Cassario on twenty one, you draft a guy in the second round that's a cornerstone pick.
Speaker 5: Right day one, he's a starter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they won the twenty twenty one draft. You had no first or second round, the third round picks, Well they're still here, Davis Mills and Nico Collins.
Speaker 2: They were cornerstone for this regime.
Speaker 1: You type picks, and I'll throw Mills in there because he started twenty five games, or only started three games last year and they were so important. Anyway, Nick Cassario will be on the show tonight in the form of his visit with Payn and Pendergast and it was really good, so we'll play some of that for you. And Keelan Rutledge. Wow, what a camp he is having. He's learning a lot on the fly and he was within the loops. So we'll get to those conversations because they're really good. And this is all about the Texans. It's Texans Radio all right. Back to it here on Texans All Access from the Hunday Texans Radio studio. Let's go back outside to this morning, so we'll go back in time as in the loop. Had Keelan Ruttledge on the show after practice, and man, is this guy fun to listen to. He's fun to watch. First round draft choice. Let's get to it. In the loop with Keelan Ruttledge today the first pick for.
Speaker 9: Your Houston Texans this year in twenty twenty six. They call him Big Red. His name is Keelan Ruttlers. Was having Kelan, how you loving brother?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 4: You look it?
Speaker 8: Yeah, appreciate it. Good to get out here on the grass. So it's been good.
Speaker 4: Hey, speaking of Big Red, this is apropos of nothing. But it's more of a regional soda, Big Red.
Speaker 10: You're familiar with it.
Speaker 5: I've heard about it. I heard about the.
Speaker 10: Big Red gum too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Big Red gun.
Speaker 10: I had a stick of that four.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you gotta get some Big Red soda. It's more of a Texas thing, but they have it in the South some right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I's gotta get you some Big Red. Yeahs an endorsement, the.
Speaker 7: Thing all for it.
Speaker 9: The thing I'm wondering Keelan, is have have we gotten you some more clothes? Or are you just gonna walk around Texas.
Speaker 7: Like what are we doing? Yeah?
Speaker 5: It's all Texans gear.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: It's a simple guy, so I don't need too much.
Speaker 9: I respect that obviously. The big thing with you that everybody's engaged with is hey, man, you're a guard, you play at Georgia Tech, you're very good at it, and then you're drafted and we're kind of all trying to put you in at center.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 9: I remember Cooper BB being drafted out of Kansas State and him spending a whole bunch of time snapping. Even they're talking about snapping to his mom. What have you done in that offseason time? Getting getting better at like the center portion of your responsibilities?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, my wife, Lauren, she's probably caught.
Speaker 8: I don't know, one hundred and fifty snaps every single day, just because that's muscle memory. Obviously, I you know, did it a little bit at Tech here and there and practice, has never done in a game.
Speaker 10: Did a little bit at a Singer Bowl.
Speaker 8: But to have your hand on the ball full time, obviously to balk these dudes, it's a little different. So you just need reps. And I mean, I think you know. I'm a I'm a football player. Didn't play office the line soil, I got a college show. I can play any position. You tell me to go out there, I'm gonna give all my effort and I'm figure it out.
Speaker 5: So she dood kadience. Oh yeah, she.
Speaker 10: Knows all the cadences. I said, you got to make it sound like CJ.
Speaker 4: How did she do in John Gruden school?
Speaker 5: How would you should be?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 5: She knows all the calls.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm running through all my calls to her.
Speaker 8: So she knows you know, she probably knows our base protection pretty good.
Speaker 4: Okay, So so high school sweethearts, I believe, right, yes sir and recently married, yes, sir, last summer. But she didn't sign up for that, did she?
Speaker 7: She did? She did?
Speaker 10: She loves ball.
Speaker 8: She loves ball, so man, she's kind of comes from a household that they love football. Grew up Georgia fans, So you know, I'm not gonna hold that again. Yeah, I mean try not to. But uh, she's not a Georgia fan. Nomore, she's she she bleeds Golden White. But yeah, I mean she loves football and she's she's all for you.
Speaker 4: Mentioned she's taking snaps under the center as well. Does she tape her fingers.
Speaker 8: Or that's just that's a little bit more not I'm not gonna say it's easier, but that's the shotgun snap is what you really struggle with when you know you're used to having your hand, come up and use your right hand.
Speaker 10: Now you can't use your right hand for a second. So that's really what we focused on.
Speaker 9: Actually, I'm curious that you brought that up because for those of us on the outside looking in guard center, they're right next to each other. Like, how different can they be? Can you tell me in your experience or early on, what are the differences between playing guard and playing center in the NFL?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean there's there's a lot of differences.
Speaker 8: The good thing about how we, you know, try to do our offensive line and how coach Pop's doing a good job of kind of everything.
Speaker 10: He wants to marry it the same the techniques, so a lot of that's very similar.
Speaker 8: But I mean, just with you having your hand on the ball, you're in front of everybody, so you don't have as much leeway. So you're on the guy now, so you have to work about getting depth. Obviously you're a square.
Speaker 5: Stance, not a stagger.
Speaker 8: And then like we talked about, you know, you're starting to block with one hand all the time, especially when you got a guy, and you know a lot of these teams are smart. They want the nose to be over the snaphand and get getting back on third downs. Being able to get comfortable with that is like it's hard, you know, when you're going left more so you're upset.
Speaker 10: Lefts a little easier because you get to focus on the snap.
Speaker 8: When you're going right, it's like, hey, you gotta really lock in on it because you need that right hand.
Speaker 10: And that's just reps.
Speaker 8: And I mean there's little differences by the end of the day, Like I said's football. How physical you're gonna be, how tough you're gonna be. You know, you're assigning all that stuff is what will separate you.
Speaker 4: So you've been obviously very good at what you do for a long time, all the way through college into Georgia Tech, at the you know, at the Senior Bowl camp, all that, you've been very good. You're a confident guy. But I always get it tickles me talking to lineman coming going from college to pro there is a moment that inevitably, I've talked to guys for four decades that say, you know what, there was this one play where I realized I can do this, Like like because there's was a little bit of in the back of your mind like okay, now it's the NFL have you had that moment?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I've had a few those moments.
Speaker 8: Ohtas was early because I mean you're not going as physical, but there's some physical moments and just climbing to some linebackers feeling that or get movement on a you know, three tech you're like, yeah, like it's football, Like the guys are better you. Definitely there's there's reps where you know, in college, I look at it like even your bad rep really ain't bad.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you can have some bad reps at this level.
Speaker 8: So I think that's the adjustment and just bouncing back from those being like all right, it's gonna happen. Like that guy across from he's really good full player, what are you gonna do the next play? But I mean there's definitely a lot of moments and OTAs, and then as we put the pads on and really played football, you get some momentsary like.
Speaker 9: Yeah I could do this, And I have a feeling that you don't struggle for confidence. You don't seem like that like you're out here pushing up on disease. You're getting physical with all these guys, Like where does that come from? Where does is it just is it just you know, real rural Georgia being that, Like, where does that energy in that confidence come from for you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think I just kind of I play with the game with a certain kind of swagger in my own way. Just I mean, I like to impose my will, like I like to go punch somebody in the face.
Speaker 10: I mean, that's that's truly what I'd truly like to do.
Speaker 8: So uh, I think when you kind of you want to do that every play, like there's a sense of confidence like I'm the baddest dude on the field every time I step on the grass is how I feel.
Speaker 5: So I think that's just kind of how I've always played.
Speaker 8: I've always wanted to be competitor, always talked to a little junk, always kind of played to the eck of the whistle.
Speaker 5: So that's just who I am.
Speaker 9: So so I'll always be not trying to get you in trouble. But how literally when you talk about punching someone in the face, because I've thought about it, like who on the team would I want to go into a bar fight with? And you're high up on the concord, have you had any instances where you had to you know, throw someone out the club or something. No.
Speaker 8: I mean you know I was a knuckle ahead craig growing up. I've definitely gotten a fair fair fair share of my fights. But uh, as you growed up, as you matured, you know you can't do that. But that's why God bless me the ability. So I'm not here to play football, so I can do it legally.
Speaker 9: So it's great, there you go.
Speaker 4: How long would it take you to kick my ass?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't want to.
Speaker 2: Like it.
Speaker 4: I am a cool guy. But you know you went up and guess Daniel Hunter yesterday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean sure, you just football. You know you believe the same kind of blood he puts on his shoes just like I do.
Speaker 10: So I mean there's nothing to it.
Speaker 4: Well, I want to get to that more as a topic here as a question, because you have been described as feisty. You've been doing that. You just said yourself, I'm the baddest man on the field. How much better does that make you?
Speaker 8: I think it makes you completely when you have that certain kind of confidence, like there's I'm not sitting here and saying I figured it out because today got mya Tell what one play like? You're that's gonna happen. But I think that sense of confidence, like I know I can do this, and even when I get punched in the face, I'm gonna punch you back. I think that's just kind of I don't even know how to subscribe it. It's just in there, it's innately in there.
Speaker 10: So I think that's you know.
Speaker 9: You talk about that. I'm very curious because obviously you're you're comfortable, but you also are comfortable with the idea that I don't know everything. When when questions come up for you, who are you talking to? Is that the guys that are next to you? Are you sending texts or making sure that you catch them up to? Like how are you asking those questions? And who are you going to for insight?
Speaker 8: Oh, I'll go to any vet, anybody that's played a.
Speaker 10: Snap in the National Football League.
Speaker 8: I'm willing to take it all because I haven't put a snap, like doing stuff on the grass out here like it's great and I think I truly believe how you practice tell you play, but I haven't done anything.
Speaker 10: So it's like I'm talking to Wyatt all the time, Jake all the time, Ed all the time.
Speaker 8: Trent's been playing the NFL for a long time, a lot of different places, so that there's so much technique stuff. He can get away with a lot more stuff than we can, for sure, because that's a different individual. But you know, you're picking up from all these guys. Man, I'm willing to soak up anything anybody has to say.
Speaker 4: I saw you talking with disease. Oh yeah, what was that?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: What was You don't have to give us all the details, but that had to be something that oh yeah, you know kind of helped.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I just think, you know, similar similar how we were, you know, brought up kind of cut from the same cloth. He started at FAU, I started at Middle Tennessee. So we we both kind of play with that chippy mindset, like that underdog kind of mentality and just kind of picking his brain about all sorts of stuff. And he's been a great and since I came in the building, he's been really really good.
Speaker 9: Best piece of advice on the field and off the field that you've gotten to this point, m hm, you know.
Speaker 8: Best piece of advice on the field I'm still trying to work on it is how to be a pro. I think that comes with kind of how I got here, I have to keep. But you know, there's a certain you play seventeen games in the NFL, and we're gonna play a lot more than seventeen. And I think taking care of your teammates and you know, being that so called prick but also having a line. I think that's that's what I've learned. And then what was the other question? Best advice off the off the field talked to I've talked to Wyatt just about you know, navigating like obviously he's married and kids and stuff like that, Like not kids yet, none of that, but just you know, married to my wife and one day I'll be a family man. So just talking about stuff like that. You hear him, Jake, all the guys have that. You kind of pick up on advice for that too.
Speaker 4: Very good you come in and I'm sure you know the assignment. As the kids like to say, this offensive line needed help. They went and got you nastier. They wanted that from you. And and one of the things in the pre draft that Reggie and I were talking about before you were even drafted, we talked about you a little bit. The way you go downfield, the way it's not always normal I mean that nastiest and knowing the assignment. How important is that for you to bring even though as a rookie you to this line.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think that's that's critical because like you got to take care of the biggs first, that's the most important thing. But getting up on the second level, that's how you spring big ones. That's how it's not three and four yards and it's twelve thirteen and the twelve thirteen turns to twenty five thirty and your explosive offense then, So I think obviously and also knowing how those backers are gonna play, Like a lot of guys are athletic, but they can't play at the second level because they don't know how to marry up their feet, right. Give that to kind of my basketball up bringing, like closing out, like when you're switching to a two man, you got to close out from playing center, like you got to get your feet hot.
Speaker 5: So I think being able to just that then go.
Speaker 8: I think that's a lot of things that offensive linement, like people take for granted at offensive linement, but can make you a really good second level blocker.
Speaker 4: You mentioned basketball, you play a little quarterback.
Speaker 10: Too, didn't you just a couple plays, not too much. Didn't play offensive line till I.
Speaker 5: Got to college.
Speaker 8: So growing up in reck ball play, some quarterback play, some tight end running back did it all.
Speaker 4: And basketball to me And we've talked about this so important for offensive line. Yeah, how has that helped you?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 10: Shoot, it's helped me so much, just because being able to mirror and you.
Speaker 8: Know, not to toot my own horn, but being more athletic guy interior wise, being.
Speaker 10: Able to slide side a side pull move like all that stuff.
Speaker 8: Man Like, that's contributed to basketball because a lot of guys want to see wrestlers, and wrestlers are great. They give you that leverage and that finish mentality. I didn't really need that, that's already in me. God bless me. That just kind of competitor I am. So the basketball helped me on that side to be a better athlete when I already have that.
Speaker 9: I want to talk about your coach, because every time we hear about Cole Papa, would you love them? But I mean, uh, Brent Key. Brin Key is one of those guys that is well respected around the college game as an offensive line guy. How does Cole Popovich compare to brin Key in any way or am I am I stretching too far?
Speaker 7: There?
Speaker 5: You're you're there.
Speaker 10: Uh, very very very similar in a lot of ways.
Speaker 8: Different personality wise, Keel keel pop a bust a smile here and there, but Ke'll joke around with you a little bit more. But I mean in terms of football, it's all ball, it's all business. They want it done a certain way and it's got to be done that certain way. And it's not like it's just you know, my way or the highway like, it's just like it works.
Speaker 10: It works.
Speaker 8: What he's teaching works, and all five guys being able to play the same set of eyes the same stuff we did George check and that's the reason why we were very very good in the trenches and being able to run the ball and pass proteck and stuff like that.
Speaker 10: So very very similar.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing you fall in line with most offensive lineman rather run block than past block.
Speaker 8: Well, or that's a tough question because you win football games and third down a lot, But yeah, you'd much rather push somebody in the face for you know, sixty plays and drop back and protect for sure. But I mean, Pat, you know, being able to protect a quarterback is paramount in this league.
Speaker 10: Like you got to block the Neil Hunter.
Speaker 8: And Will Anderson when there spiking, like you can't block them, Like, but if you set up the run, then you can alleviate some of that.
Speaker 5: So let's try to run block. But they're both very important.
Speaker 9: By the way, we got a text line where people are texting and they're all like, I want to run.
Speaker 2: Through a wall.
Speaker 9: You've got like the physicality, the nasty that you got, like it shows through. But one of the things I kept trying to tell people is, hey, man, you go to Georgia Tech. You gotta be smart, right, Like one of the things I've said about your ability to transition the centers, he went to Georgia Tech. You don't figure it out? Was I doing too much there or it was?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 9: It really was a tough academic self.
Speaker 8: Any I didn't have the I didn't have I wasn't no mechanical engineer. But you got a I got a degree from Georgia Tech. And yeah, I think what you said, Man, figure it out. That's that's what you gotta do at Georgia Tech. On and off the field. Just being able to figure it out, like put in that extra work really honestly, how to study like you can't just you know, a lot of places you just you know, do this, do that like you'll get a grade. Like you have to do You got to actually put work into it. And yeah, I'm not I'm not gonna see here and act like I'm the smartest guy in the world.
Speaker 5: But I can figure it out.
Speaker 9: Like you said, I love it all right. One thing I want to give you an opportunity to do you have You've done a little bit of media. I'm not trying to seem like you're you're not experienced, but is there a question that you have for us guys that get to do a little media in this way?
Speaker 8: That's a good question. Kind of threw them on the spot. Question y'all guys got for me? Yeah, man, I got you asked me my favorite food?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Okay, what do you like eating? Because you know, Houston's a great food. You're in the right place. Have you have you gone anywhere that's been full?
Speaker 7: I've been.
Speaker 10: I've been to a lot of places.
Speaker 7: Loupe.
Speaker 8: There's there's one little hole in the wall spot and I'm blinking on the name.
Speaker 10: Of course, when I ask you that question, where is it?
Speaker 5: You can just say that your day keeping.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no, no, everybody needs to go to l LT Athlete. I think that's the one legit loved it and there's another spot to went there once with Aiden Fisher and Marlin wonderful, wonderful love Text Max Love Barbecue.
Speaker 5: I'm in the right spot for you.
Speaker 7: Really are you?
Speaker 4: Really are? I gotta ask you one more because you know.
Speaker 9: Real quick before you do that. You listening to kot AM klt F MHD two.
Speaker 4: Houston in the Legal Sports station. Yes, uh so I grew up. You talk about your background and as he'sa's background and I know, I think I know that you spend a lot of time at the Boys and Girls Club and then you do an event recently with the with the Boys and Girls Club. How does that form what you are? You know, growing up where.
Speaker 5: You have it's tough.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it shaped everything in me.
Speaker 8: I mean just the mentality wise, like I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth, like it was me my mom my whole life, bouncing around place to place, you know, living with anybody that will give us a roof over our head.
Speaker 5: So I think that kind of.
Speaker 10: Desire, that drive. I put it all into sports, all into sports, and that's all I had.
Speaker 5: That was the outlook for my life.
Speaker 8: That's kind of you know, for good and bad, because there was a lot of good bad moments. When you put everything, all your eggs in one basket, you know, you like, like I've learned and matured, you got to have other.
Speaker 10: Things, which you know, Lauren has been great for me for that.
Speaker 8: But I think that's shape. That's the reason why I'm here today. I wouldn't I wouldn't try.
Speaker 7: It for the world.
Speaker 9: I mean, your wife also crucial in helping you get over what was a tragic accident. I mean, like it seems like you've got all the all the things in the world that you've overcome. Switching the center can't be too hard, can't it.
Speaker 8: It's just it's a there's a lot of stuff I've been through in my life that are a lot lot harder than playing.
Speaker 10: You know, the position with the ball in your hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no reason to feel sorry for yourself now, hey man, appreciate it, sir.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is big red.
Speaker 9: Do you like you like it when people call you big Red.
Speaker 5: Is there is?
Speaker 10: So we have a equipment manager, Tyler. He's big Red.
Speaker 5: So I've kind of gave him the Big Red. He's he's the big Red.
Speaker 10: I'm big rut rut Red.
Speaker 7: Anything they want to redheads.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of I'm not a I'm not a particular you call me anything.
Speaker 9: As long as long as we were talking about you, I imagine didn't call you anything. All right, Keilan, we appreciate you sitting down with this. It's been great.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: There was in the loop with Keelan Ruttledge had to play that because it's so good coming out the best of Nick Kassario, who was on with Paint and pendergast Man the six ten guys really helping out do with the show tonight love it. It's Texans All Access. In tonight's final segment, let's get to this Pain and pendergast That would be Seawan and Seth.
Speaker 2: In the morning this morning.
Speaker 1: Caught up with executive vice president and general manager Nick Cassario field side at training camp. We got up with Mike Toleman. We had the McNair's on yesterday. It's been a great trading camp so far. With all these interviews, but let's Eves drop on that conversation between the guys and Nick Cassio.
Speaker 11: It's great to see as always Nick, So let's let's get into it here before we get into all the stuff we've seen on the field. Big news for Texan fans the last day or so it has been Gedevian Clowney coming back.
Speaker 5: Take us through that.
Speaker 11: What made this the right time for JD to return to the Houston Texans.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we kind of worked through the springing there a little bit, you know, that kind of a third end spot was an area that we probably felt we were going to add it some point. You know, Derek did a good job for us in that role, had conversation with him, so just kind of keeping track of the market. Who are the players that are in that category? Feel pretty fortunate, you know with Will and Daniel, and then I would say Dylan.
Speaker 10: Has had a good role for us.
Speaker 12: And then we signed Dominie Robinson who's had a pretty good training camp here. So it kind of brings a little bit different element. But that was an area we're kind of looking at some players that maybe potentially could fill that role, and you know, JD was a player who we had some conversations with initially, maybe it was a little bit later in the Springs last summer, and then we kind of kind of kind of kept in contact with his agent over the course of the summer, and then there at some point there was some level of mutual interest. He obviously had a lot of interest from some other teams. I think there's some other teams that were involved, but it kind of worked out. I mean, it says a lot about Jadavion, the fact that he wanted to be here, wanted to be around some of the things that we're doing. We didn't overlap and when I wasn't here when Jadavion was here previously, haven't played against him multiple times, know how big of a pain in the ass that he was. But and he's still shown the ability, whether it's in Dallas, Baltimore, Carolina, these different stops, he still brings some positive qualities to the table. So we'll get started with him today. He'll be out here practicing what kind of see how it goes.
Speaker 13: I think that the thing with Javon Clowney that going back to when he was here is I get frustrated on his behalf, partly because at least part of the narrative about him is like, and I still get people saying to me now, like, well, he doesn't play hard. I'm like, he plays hard and he has since he's a rookie. And I don't know why people haven't picked up on that other than that they're just looking at stat lines or whatever. But he's he's.
Speaker 7: Got a swarmy element to his play.
Speaker 12: He's always played hard and he's disruptive with his snaps. And even when we were playing against the Texans when I was in New England, you know they're front. You know he had jj you know you had JD was a part of it, merciless and they'd move JD around some different spots and put him over to guard. I mean, he was really difficult to block. So he's got a unique seel set, his length, and he's got real good straight line speed. He does have toughness and to your point, set he plays with good effort. I'm not really sure because he runs well. Yeah, so the ability to close space and close from behind, so we feel and the reality is, whoever walks into a building, whoever walks in that defensive meeting room, if you don't.
Speaker 7: Play hard and compete.
Speaker 10: You're probably not gonna last very long.
Speaker 13: And that's one thing about you Know, I said this offseason, if I were a free agent defensive lineman who wasn't happy with the offers that I was getting, I would I would fly to Houston and park myself in front of Dimico's office and just say I want to play here.
Speaker 7: And I like.
Speaker 13: I think rod Wright does an incredible job as a defensive line coach. I think Burke and Demiko do an awesome job and just creating an environment where you come here and you guys have this tendency to get the best out of defensive lineman. Are you are you starting to get the feel for this being a destination or a guy like Dominie Robinson perhaps can look at multiple plays and say, man, people go to Houston and they tend to they tend.
Speaker 7: To do pretty well well.
Speaker 12: I think we're fortunate that people want to come here and be a part of our program. And it really starts with the players, because ultimately we can message it and obviously there's a standard of performance that to expect the day to day. It starts with Demiko and then defensively trickles down to Matt rod right, you know, Billy Davis, Dino Steven, even Frank Oakum too. I mean Frank works at the defensive line. So but ultimately, the players are the ones that hold themselves accountable. So in the end, player accountability is the best accountability. Like you can do only so much as a coach and try to message, but if the players don't go out there and perform that to that level and do the things that you want to do, ultimately it's not going to work. So it's really it's a credit to the players and they see I mean you watch practice. I mean there was a play Demiko showed yesterday was a small thing, but talk about finishing closing to the ball. I mean his e's must have run like forty yards to track the ball. He was in the line of scrimmage and that was the end of the play and he was sprinting to finish on the ball. So when you see a player like Aziz do that and then Kamari shows up around the ball, so there's a trickle down effect. So you really don't have a choice, and if you don't do it, you become an outlier.
Speaker 7: Yeah you're yeah, you're a black sheep.
Speaker 11: Yep, Texan's executive vice president and general manager Nick Casario joining us here live at Texans training camp. To that end, how much has Keilan Rutledge shown up finishing play in the tape in the offensive line room, because we've seen a lot of that out here.
Speaker 12: He shows up every day and you saw that at Georgia Tech. That was one of the things that was appealing about him. He has a certain mentality, in a certain playing style, and it's reflective of how we want to play, and it showed up. I take Wanta for the first or second day of practice, even when we were in shorts. When you're in shorts, there's only so much you can do, but you're trying to get it's more assignment football, but you know there's gonna be some contact to some degree. And I think I can't remember what happened. It was the end of a play him and disease, and then Kamari got in there, so you know, and Keelan wasn't backing down and he's not going to back down, which is.
Speaker 7: What you want to see.
Speaker 12: So you want to tow the line because you're we're gonna play clean, hard football. You just don't want to go over the line. But the notion of finishing plays was something that we want to be able to do as a football team, and that message, I would say, each day is emphasized. And then when you see it show up on tape and on the field, it kind of reinforces the decision that you made.
Speaker 11: It does it even augment the message to the rest of the room a little bit. If this is a guy who's in his sixth practice today, you know, and he's the guy we're showing up here finishing these plays.
Speaker 12: Well, this is the standard and this is behavior. So this is what we're going to reinforce, good or bad. Hey, here are some things that are the positives. I mean, Demiko does a great job of going through practice and highlighting Hey, here are some of the things that we did well. Here's some areas that we can improve. But we're not gonna coach like we shouldn't have to coach effort and toughness and physicality. Our job is to find players that have those qualities and then when you get on the football field, like there's an opportunity to play physical.
Speaker 13: When I'm watching the offense, I'm trying to you know, I did. I always remind myself, Okay, look, if if this is a combined practice versus the LA Rams, the Texans defense is gonna get there, They're gonna make some plays, and that you can't judge. Like yesterday, you know, the offense had some bad plays, but they like they also had some good plays, and so I tried to compare the offense to where they were in training camp last year. It feels like with the offensive line and the tight ends, it just feels like it's a clean in your operation. And it's hard to judge. Sometimes you know in camp how far a run would have gone, but I know that it it just looks better and it looks more uniform, and it looks like guys are moving in lockstep better than they were last year.
Speaker 7: Is that Has that been your impression?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think what you want to see in practice, there's gonna be give and take. The defense is going to make some plays, the offense is going to make some plays. Hopefully you're learning from one another. I would say there's a lot of communication. You can see. We want to encourage the communication because really, what you're trying to do offensively on the front, you're just trying to get the blockers distributed appropriately, So make sure we're we talked about the hat on a half and it's just simple as just okay, I have to block Sean. Make sure everybody knows that we're working to Sean.
Speaker 7: All right, are you going to find a block?
Speaker 5: It's a difficult, A lot of people questions, a lot of.
Speaker 7: People on social media.
Speaker 12: Seven years, but I think what we've been able to do, there's multiple examples of being able to get plays started, and ultimately the running back is going to have to deal with a free player, whether it's a perimeter player at the corner or even a second level player, So there's going to be a free player at some point. Knowing who the free player is and so the back understands that. So overall, the group has worked really hard. There's a lot of communication and we're just trying to string positive plays together and try to eliminate the negative plays and just kind of get plays started. And if we do that, then hopefully we can just move the ball down a field.
Speaker 11: I know you've been asked about the offensive line about you know, is there a certain point where you want to find the five? You know, it's five best guys all those things. This This is about as fluid a group as I can remember in terms of how you guys are mixing and matching in training camp, to the point where you know, we joke about how you know he's the media. We got to kind of say buttoned up as to who's on the depth chart and things like that. It's almost impossible to report anything because you guys are doing so much shuffling around.
Speaker 5: Do you and Demiico? After each practice?
Speaker 11: Is there some element of like, Okay, if we had to play a game on Sunday, this would be our five. I'm not asking you to say who they are, But how does that evaluation evolve over the course of training camp?
Speaker 12: Sure, you talk about it every day. Look at what's going on in practice. Okay, are we getting the players the right reps in the appropriate spots or you know what, maybe we need to see a little bit more of this player in this spot. I mean, I think if we had to play a game today, like we feel, we could play with nine or ten offensive linemen and be able to go out there and play competitively. So sometimes you don't really notice the difference between the groups. We're shoffing a lot of people in there, So Okay, here's the first group that goes on the field. Okay, then here's the next grip that comes on the field. Sometimes you don't see a market difference, and sometimes there's plays where maybe the second group looks a little bit better in the first group. So in the end, we're just trying to figure out, all right, who are the five best guys.
Speaker 10: We're certainly not there yet.
Speaker 12: But we feel pretty comfortable that there's nine or ten players that we have to put on the field and play a game tomorrow. We feel like we could at least be competitive as an overall group.
Speaker 1: All right, there's some of the best of the conversation between Sean Pendergast and Seth Payne and Nick Cassario, Executive vice president and general manager. The entirety of the conversation is available on the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: App, so check that out.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for tonight's show tomorrow back at Camp Live at the Houston Methodist Training Center.
Speaker 5: Can't wait.
Speaker 1: Shawn had said that six, Johnny and I had eight in the loop at ten. Let's do it Area forty five coming your way next, Go Texans.