Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome to part two of our interview with wit Hertford a k a. Duck Face, a k a. Stephanie's secret boyfriend. So, without further ado, here's witt People, always as.
Speaker 3: You do, you want to hear this anecdote?
Speaker 1: I know, I'm kind of like, that's the point.
Speaker 4: Please please lead, because some days my brain can't follow myself.
Speaker 3: Do you remember this on the Friday take that first episode we had. I've said this on other podcasts, so this is like my full house. Uh so why would I not bring it to the you know, big we we had like banked some hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you do that right, right, and like like banked school hours. I'll explain that to our audience a little bit like banking. Banking school hours is like you have to have a certain amount of school hours every day, but there are some things that you can do where if you know the following day you're going to have a really crazy schedule or it's a tape day or whatever, and you have chance, a chance maybe earlier in the week or the day before, you can get in an extra couple of school hours so that it will you'll get all of the work done that you need, it's just not on that particular day. So that's when we say banking hours, it's you're kind of putting away hours in the school bank of the exact hours that you need to get every week. So anyway, a continue perfect.
Speaker 3: So then what was the teacher's name? What was her name?
Speaker 1: Adria?
Speaker 3: That was it. Yeah, she was like, we're going to do homec today and we baked banana bread.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we used to. I remember we used to do this.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say this to you for the books. I don't think I said this to you when we met before. Maybe I did. That was the most romantic moment of my life. Maybe still is. Maybe still is making.
Speaker 1: Banana breadet Oh my god, I love it. And k keen It's true.
Speaker 4: We were basically we were we were having our own Hallmark rom com.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a documentary. It should have been a documentary. And then when I got in my mom's minivan after the tape to go home and drive back to Agora, cried like a babe, heartbroken because I was like, I'll never see it again.
Speaker 2: Okay, you two should have gotten married. Add that to your married and divorced. Add that to your tally.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, right, oh documentary, let's go.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there is so set.
Speaker 4: And then to know that you came back for two more episodes.
Speaker 3: Oh, and I had to play it so cool, Like in my brain.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, what was what was that like like when you when you found out you were coming back for a couple more episodes, And it really was because people fell in love with the character, like you did such a great job that the writers and the audience was like, we need more of this character and of Stephanie and him uh and I just loved their dynamic that Steph finally was like yet, no, you guys are not You're not doing this Like I I was so proud of Steph in that moment. So what was it like for you when you sure were like, oh my god, I get to come back and do this a couple more times?
Speaker 3: Thrilled, like you get addicted and it's that whole Hollywood thing where it is a it's a bit of a full goal because you're you do like episodes two three, I think I'm an end up to between three and five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was more than was it three? It's three?
Speaker 3: It might have been, And that you think it's then forever. That's what you know, Hollywood, You're like, oh, this is forever. That's why whenever people go I'm going to get on a series, it's going to be great, it's like for that time. My middle sister was on a network TV show, not a great one, for like five seasons and it was her life. And when that stopped because it was so all encompassing. I think she did like American Beauty or something like a bit in that movie. But then she she retired and she's never done it again, which is a bummer because she's actually and I've said this already, she's so so, so so funny, but she was. Yeah, she was worn out because it was like life was a little to stop start.
Speaker 1: Right, So I do.
Speaker 4: I remember my parents sort of always reminding me, not in a way of like you're gonna lose this and you should freak out, but like the reminder of this is so amazing right now, but remember like, this isn't forever. There will come a time when this will you know, and you can't really prepare for it. But it was a conversation that they always had, which was there will be life out sight of this.
Speaker 1: There will be life.
Speaker 3: Good for that after this?
Speaker 1: Damn like that too?
Speaker 2: Yeah they did. They were very good about saying, Okay, this is your Hollywood life and then this is your normal life. But that's hard to grasp as a kid because you don't think too long term as a kid. Just think about what am I going to do today and tomorrow. So I didn't really get it until Fuller House, until thirty years later, and I was like, oh, this was this is so special and so fleeting. It's like lightning in a bottle and we're going to capture it twice.
Speaker 1: And that's so can we talk?
Speaker 3: Can we talk about that show?
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that show, Fuller Why didn't we invite Why didn't we talk about? Why didn't we get you on Fuller House? That seems I can't what very rude. Why didn't we do that?
Speaker 1: Why didn't that happen?
Speaker 3: I don't know. But if I came in with tattoos and earrings as duck Face, how dope would that?
Speaker 1: That would have been so amazing?
Speaker 3: It was like duck Face Duckfest found is like.
Speaker 4: Duck Face found his grewed you know, yeah, right? Or we find out we find.
Speaker 3: Out I think I was in London. I think when you guys started, I was in London.
Speaker 4: Maybe that way, maybe that was it, because I do know we like we went out to everybody that we went out to, like everybody that had been in the I don't know that we would not have gone to duck I'm calling John as I'm gonna call Jeff right now and complain. We're gonna have to go back and reshoot a couple of episodes of the season.
Speaker 3: Let's get back to.
Speaker 4: What I was gonna say, is is I think what happened is is that duck Face, much like Steph, they both became They both traveled the world and became DJs. It was DJ Tanner, which was me and DJ Duckface, and they sort of operated in the same circles like Innibitha and all these places, you know, where they were like in their little party life or whatever. But it was, you know, it was the kind of nothing ever really happened. But now they're both back in San Francisco and and I think that's where we see things take off.
Speaker 3: This is great, you yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: We're shooting in my garage next week. Here we go, guys. Yeah, I'll start painting backdrops.
Speaker 1: Now, do you.
Speaker 3: Remember that when we when that last time I thought about doing a sketch with you that my friend had written yes for. It was like when Funnier died first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was what did we wind up doing it? Or we know? We didn't? What happened?
Speaker 3: No? We no, we did, No, we never ended up. The producer shut it down for some reason. But I remember, Yeah, my friend Matt, who's on Breaking Bad, he was very excited about the idea. And I do I think like there was a I.
Speaker 1: Think there's definitely something there. So you let me know.
Speaker 3: You let me know, come see my check off. Let's go, let's go figure it out.
Speaker 4: I am coming to see your chek Off. I'm so excited. Vanna is such a great and I I also love Chekoff always such intensity.
Speaker 3: And let's let's be nerds about it. How did you find out about checkof? I'll talk about this.
Speaker 4: I mean I took I mean, I did acting class, I did I went to a musical I was a performing arts student. I did musical theater. I did you know of all sorts of musical theater history? And I you know, and I'm also a nerd so I like to read, and I like to do a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: I won't I won't be labored. But yeah, there was a part of my grad degree in London where we went to Moscow for sixteen and I was one of the older directing students and so nobody liked me. So I traveled around Moscow not reading a lick of cyrillic and just was up to my neck in snow and I loved it. And I went to his house in the country and played his piano and it blew my mind apart. So I have directed four of the major works that I've adapted, and adapted all of them.
Speaker 4: Wow, okay, yeah, you you, you take the you win, obviously, I know, just a little bit here and there.
Speaker 1: I just I think it's so amazing that you really.
Speaker 4: Tried so many new things like and and and didn't let anything stop you. I mean, sounds like you had a pretty incredible journey, my friend traveling the world theater London and took.
Speaker 2: You to England. What what where did that come from?
Speaker 1: Theater?
Speaker 3: You're going to do well? I So at the end of my second tour of duty here, I was really disenchanted with being submitted for like horse jockeys and stuff for coke commercials. Literally that happened one time and I went into a big waiting room that was all little people in me and they looked at me like I was the Like they were like, get out of here. This isn't for you. And I kind of was like, yeah, you're right, it's not for me. And I called my agent and I was like, can you guys get creative? Not submit me for just physical descriptions because I'm an actor? Can you get creative anyway? So I then got disenchanted and was My family all migrated up to Utah, and so I was at my parents' house over the holidays a decade ago and they were like, all right, what's next? I don't know. My mom goes, you should apply for graduate school, and I was like, yo, I'm in my late thirties. Me being in a room full of actors, I'd be a nightmare. I would not be a fun person to be around. And she went, no, stupid, you should apply for directing. You've always been a director. And I thought of my dad, who pass around I was ten. Was this guy I look a lot like him? And his death sort of completely changed our entire life family trajectory, and I went, maybe that's right, and I remember my mom was like, you can be your own mayor and go do it. So I applied for grad school, but only a handful, and like four or five of them were in the States, and then there's one in England, and I was like, very not wit. I kept my mouth shut and I was like, I'm not gonna tell anyone that that's my sweetheart pick at all, and it's just going to be a thing that I'm gonna I'm gonna kind of cross my fingers. And then I got in and the way I got this is a fun story. I'm in the interview with the rep from the school and we're sitting forward and he's very English and I'm wearing like a suit and mint socks. I look really proper. And he goes, all right, witch, so why you and why this school? And I went, look, man, I don't know how a fancy reason for you. My full name is would be flint Hertford and if I don't live in the UK. At some point in my life I've slapped Fate in the face and he stood up and he hugged me, and that's how I got into drag school.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, that's amazing, what an approach. Well, but what that shows is is.
Speaker 4: Thinking on your feet, improv humor, self efficacy, humor, you know, like so I mean in that one response or like so many things, honesty, you're like, look, I don't have a fancy, like all of the things that probably a college recruit would be like this person would make for a really great student.
Speaker 3: And again thematically coming back to like give zero, I think that that's where that really started, because you know, then, I remember our first assignment was just to direct some Shakespeare scenes with the with the BA students. Everybody did pretty kind of straightforward, and I was given Henry the Fourth and I read it and I had not read this particular scene between this like he seemed like a cop and his you know, barefoot and pregnant wife. I was like, this is Tennessee Williams. This isn't Shakespeare. And so I had my actors do verse Shakespeare with Southern dialects as though it was a Tennessee Williams play. So I started off being weird as hell, and it kind of is like where that's where I operate. That's how it goes.
Speaker 4: What a fascinating choice. I mean making interesting choices, that's all. I remember acting teachers and directors always saying make an interesting choice. The fits, but make but do but do an interesting choice. Do something that's a little bit left of normal.
Speaker 3: Right right. And I remember on Day's podcast he was asking me about the guy on set that was sort of like the acting cork.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So awesome, right, so awesome. I remember that, like he figured out the lifts thing and I kind of just mimicked it and then I just ran with it and the whole like take my glasses off. He kind of enabled me to I remember that literally that he enabled me to like make ould choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really, that was He was one of the first people that was like do something, you know, like be go for it, try this, try something funny.
Speaker 1: And he was so great with us.
Speaker 3: And I was going to wear these to like to like make it feel kind of but those look.
Speaker 1: Great on you? They really do? You know, like you look great? Those are not? I know that you look fabulous. I would I would. Yeah, you look also on glasses in honor.
Speaker 4: Of I don't wear I'm sorry, I don't wear glasses yet I'm on the I'm trailing behind, but I'm sure at some point and it'll happen thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: I'm not bad eyesight. My whole life. When I was a little kid, I had to do this thing, I had like a patch. Oh and then over it like I look like a really.
Speaker 4: Like, well that was where the uh, that was where the pirate started. Really, that was where you're the pirate actor guru stage started.
Speaker 3: That's right, you've just.
Speaker 1: Been perfecting it for all the time.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 4: Now, of course we would be remiss if we did not mention other things that you have been in Jurassic Park, Nightmare on Elm Street, family man.
Speaker 1: I mean you've done You've been.
Speaker 4: A voice, actor, a writer, producer, director, musician, so many things. You are a renaissance man. But no, but you're you're an awesome creative human being. But what has been your favorite thing that you've done in any realm create which might is probably hard to pick, but like top top experience for you creatively that you've really been, like, this is what feeds my soul?
Speaker 3: Good question? I mean recently, when I get recognized in Trader Joe's for my karaoke week and my karaoke efforts and work. That's very exciting. But you know, I think that this this Greek play because I hadn't lacked in a long time. And what I wrote that this Oedipus into tick anything we did a couple of years ago. The actress had never done any theater, but she again, I got her through my workshop and she well, she done some short films and modeling or whatever, but she was just like that alien where I was like, I think I can give you text and you're gonna embody it and it's going to be so easy. And she was curious about it, and I told her, look, Antimmy speaks for seventy five minutes. Wow. By herself, she was fine. She was a great team partner. And what happened with me through that process, why, I think it was kind of you know, when you worked with Spielberg, that's that's cool as hell. That's to two days to change your life. And he was very normal. But you know, it's it's not about really processed there. You just try not to screw up. And with Oedipus, first of all, I couldn't find a sixty five year old man to do what I wanted that character do, which is you know, he's blind, he's grieving. It's really rough, there's nudity. I couldn't find a sixty five year old male actor, shockingly that wanted to do all that stuff. And so the antigony is she went, look, bitch, you're old, why don't you play it? And I was like, okay, I guess I am now dad adjacent, right, So I went and did that, and I really did him blindfold. So I did the whole rehearsal process and all the performances in darkness. And again I had never done nudity, and maybe it was really good that I was blindfolded so I couldn't see the audience. Be like, but it was such a thing where it took me. It took me to a place where I really had to just let go. And I was in flow the entire time. You know that thing when when actors say, if you don't remember how it went, it probably weren't. Every night. I was totally in a fever dream and I would end and I would you know, my director, I would ask the co director, I'd ask themone, was that garbage? And he was like, no, it was, and it was one of these cool things where I had friends that I had grown up with, friends from my LA chapters who've never seen me do theater, these big chunks of my life where I've been invested in London and in undergrad but they'd never seen me. They just see on Instagram me, you know, pontificating about it, and they got to come see me do that. And I remember at the end of the play, I rip off the bandages to metaphorically say that I regained sight and I could for the first time look at the audience and it was these people that I.
Speaker 5: Love and I felt so for lack of a better term, no pun intended steam, I felt so seen and that my art, as.
Speaker 3: You know, a balding, gray less fit forty five year old, that it was landing and it was resonating, and I had grown men sobbing, and I thought, that's it, man, that's it. When the thread is short, when you can connect and it can land and it doesn't feel like it's museum glass and you're behind velvet rope, that's it. So that experience was the one that sort of shifted everything and then made me go cool, what other old men, Oh, BONNYA, let's go do that. So I'm kind of in this this is my mode right now.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the ultimate reason that we do this, right, is to get that free flying feeling when you're like, oh my god, that was it?
Speaker 1: Like you just kind of land and you're like, did I just do we just fly?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What do we just do that?
Speaker 3: And you get cred with than anything, right, Like like when I did impront at uc B, I wouldn't say I was the greatest sumpervisor because I actually that was a period of my life when I was judging myself and that real me up within bra and I was doing a lot of imposter syndrome where I was going, oh, they're all much funnier than me, And yeah it was. It was a rough education. But even in that the times that I would sort of lose myself, you could, you know, and even more painting seven hours then if I if I finish and it doesn't look like a disaster, that's that's that's a cool sort of start and finish. I wouldn't say that the product is what I care about. I really do care about process. But you can you can figure this out when I make a batch of guacamole that I'm proud of. People love that, you know what I mean, that's true.
Speaker 1: It's like but the weirdest Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 4: No, no, not in the least, No, not at all. You're this is the conversations we like to have. These are the things like this is it right? We're we're all still in this business like because there's something about it that we absolutely love or that torments us, or that pushes us to want to be different or better or more creative. And I mean I love hearing you break it down like that, you know, and people will love to hear that.
Speaker 1: Like someone who.
Speaker 4: Grew up in this business as a kid has made such broad and interesting and like forward thinking choices.
Speaker 1: That's just really cool. I have a lot of admiration for you, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thanks jud you know, I mean, my my circle of dudes that I auditioned with from like eight to fifteen are all very very famous names, like the same room as you know, you're in the same room. So it was me, uh, Toby Maguire, Elijah Wood, Seth Grain, Giovanni Rubc and then me and I'm the one that kind of failed and went and lived life and had a bunch of failed marriages, and you climb up hills, you fall down others, and I'm just really and again this is gonna sound really corny, and I don't care, but I just feel really lucky to be on my own feet and to be curious. The curiosity is what keeps me afloat and so uh. Without that, I think you start to calcify, you start to really corrode, and I hope to hang on to that forever. You know, Like, I've been single here for a minute, and it's cool because I figured out it's really important lesson to be alone and not be lonely. It's the It's the radest thing.
Speaker 4: Enjoy enjoy your own company, your own space, your own thoughts. You're not trying to run away from yourself, because that's I've done that, and that's it turns out you can't.
Speaker 3: You can try, and and look I'm in my sea. Yeah, this is all I've had to you know what I mean. Like, it's not for lack of.
Speaker 4: Tronic right, well, well exactly, I mean, look, we're I mean, the pandemic really put a damp around things.
Speaker 1: I'll say that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's been so amazing catching up with you over all this and like hearing what an incredibly successful human you've become aside from career, aside from all of that stuff, you like, you know, you're just game recognized game, my friend. I see those of us who have done the work, we know, we can sense the bullshit, and we can sense and someone's being really genuine And I see that in you, And I'm really really happy for you, because this this business can two people up and spit them out, and it takes a lot of self discovery and a lot of digging and a lot of hard conversations with yourself. But I think, yeah, but you know what.
Speaker 3: This has got to happen on your own podcast too. Jody is like, I'm proud of you. Look at your moms, look at what you've done, yo. So like you taught me the ropes. We've kind of had like walkie talkies the whole time.
Speaker 6: So like it's what a lovely thing this entire moment as felt like And even like before I got on today, I was thinking, why does this feel like normal to talk to people I haven't talked to? Like I literally feel like I was talking to my friend incident and that's wild.
Speaker 4: No, I know, but like that we I mean, that is again one thing that I will say that I'm incredibly proud of with this show that somehow it brought into its orbit.
Speaker 1: Some of the most.
Speaker 4: Genuine, talented, interesting, incredible people who have not only been that since we did the show in the eighties, but who have continued on and been just incredible people. I mean, we've had some stars guest stars on here, and we're just like, oh my god, we had no like, we had no idea as kids. Some of the incredible legendary people that were writing on our show that we're working on our show, that were guest starring on our show, and it just I'm never it never fails to amaze me. Just the really fabulous people that were brought into the orbit of this and that continued to be that way. And you are definitely one of them, my friends. So I cannot wait to see Vanya. I am so excited. I'm just I'm so proud of you, man, like it really, Uh, you've killed it. It's not easy to find your place in this business and you've done it.
Speaker 3: So do people usually cry on this podcast?
Speaker 4: Not always, but but now, I just you know, I like to give people their flowers when they when they deserve them, because we you know, we all need to hear it.
Speaker 1: And I just i've well, you know, do you guys.
Speaker 3: You guys did it obviously, I think, you know, with Bob the last little bit, it was kind of a reminder to think that, like, what a special place that was. I said this to Dave. I totally still stand by it. That set, what you guys created. However, the puck that happened was so warm and lovely and and most of those sets were not like that. You guys were rare, and so I think like that spirit and what everybody is carried with them as fans is a real thing. It's not phony. And I'm literally so proud to be Walter because that's rips.
Speaker 1: Walter's awesome.
Speaker 4: I love Walter. I love Stephan Walter. I can't wait to watch the next episodes coming up. It's been so long, I don't even remember what happens, but I can't wait to see.
Speaker 1: And I just I love Steph.
Speaker 4: You know in this episode where she's just like, you know what, actually, you guys are being Dick's knock it off and then and then just reads everyone in the room and it's like, oh yeah, well I wouldn't be talking so quick about your you know, it just gives everyone. I was like, yes, Steph, get them, get them.
Speaker 3: The later episodes, I definitely remember that. Like I was, you know, going through life, so I was growing and evolved as a person, and I was in like turtlebacks and I was like not okay, and turtle macks and so like, the clothes started to feel a little bit like not that they're bad clothes, but I you know, you're get encapsulated. You guys know this, and it's like you're immortalized for a period that most people in their regular life, Like when people bring up the Dinosaur movie, I'm like, that's cool. I felt so shabby and pre pewbascent and whatever. So like it is that road where you have to go that doesn't matter and stop, you know, looking at it that way anymore. And now I'm so grateful.
Speaker 4: Well, good, well, this has been a fabulous conversation with Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 1: We have loved having you back on the show.
Speaker 4: And big salute to Duckface for starting the trend that would become Instagram.
Speaker 1: And the ducklips. It's true.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing I still get it. I still get sure in every single one.
Speaker 4: I feel like we need to put a side by side of him K and duckface and be like, this is this is where it started.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, she stole it.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's it, that's exactly that.
Speaker 2: You should get a residual every time she makes that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would like to.
Speaker 4: I would like you to get the credit that is due, which is that you started.
Speaker 3: Should for sure, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, thank you so much for joining us today when we just loved having you on the show.
Speaker 1: This was a great conversation.
Speaker 2: This is so great, a love fest.
Speaker 1: I loved this today was and uh yeah.
Speaker 3: And this is what you give it a scorpio. You get with a scorpio, you get like big big sleep yeah big yeah.
Speaker 4: Well that you look forward to seeing you in your amazing work coming up, and we will talk to you later.
Speaker 1: By bye bye.
Speaker 4: That was such a great conversation, such a great interview.
Speaker 2: Yea, And it's true, like I I mean, I haven't seen him in thirty five years, but it just felt so natural and just like, yeah, we're just old friends.
Speaker 4: Catching Yeah, absolutely, just what a cool dude, right, We're a rat dude.
Speaker 1: It's super cool.
Speaker 4: And I remember that about him too when we were young, like he was just again, just a really interesting human. And he was a couple of years older than I was, so I think we were it was like seven and maybe ten, which you know, when you're seven and ten feels like a little bit like an age gap. But he and I just really hit it off and like always smart and funny and yeah, just what a what a really awesome human and again love to see him succeeding.
Speaker 1: So cool.
Speaker 2: Yep, he's the real deal.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: But you guys, thanks for tuning in to another episode of how Rude tanner Rito's. If you're looking for us on Instagram, you can follow us at how Rude Podcast. We post a ton of fun pictures on there, behind the scenes stuff, old pictures from you know, full house days, I think Andrey and I just posted some Hawaii ones up there that are pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: There's so good. They're so good.
Speaker 4: So at how red podcast is our Instagram. You can also email us at Howard podcast at gmail dot com and make sure that wherever you're listening to the podcast, you're liking and subscribing to it so that you can get all the newest episodes as soon as they come out and you can be one of the first ones to listen. So thank you so much everybody for joining us for another episode of how Rude Tanner Rito's I almost said, another episode.
Speaker 1: Of Fuller House. I don't what what.
Speaker 4: Another episode of how Rude Tanner Rito's right, And remember, everybody, I think.
Speaker 1: That do you remember world? That the world is small and the door is always open?
Speaker 4: Okay, which I don't know if that implies that the entire world can fit in the full Househouse, but I think it can because a shape shift.
Speaker 1: So that's what we're going with. Hey, Yes,