Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, how are you doing? We have an amazing episode of I Hear Voices today. I am very excited for a number of reasons. But first a thing that I'm bummed about. I am bummed that I am flying solo today. My friend, co host and partner in crime is a very very busy woman always, but especially these days with having the kids and her podcasts and everything else she has to do.
Speaker 2: And she actually got trapped flying somewhere. So I am flying solo. So there you go.
Speaker 1: I had two flyings in a row. We'd like to use the word flying as often as we can. So that's the bummed part. The good part, the great part is the episodes that are the episode that we're going to be recording for you today, because not only are we going to be finalizing the finals.
Speaker 3: So this is why I'm seeing a theme for today.
Speaker 1: I am just going to be saying the same word over and over, hoping it means different things, finalizing the finals and flying to fly, But we are. We are locking in our final two to finish the super awesome contest to become the next big voiceover actor. I can't believe we're here after all this time, it's unbelievable. If the amount I know, we keep saying the number you know, over four thousand, close to forty five hundred. But until you see that in your inbox, and until you know that they're all up to two minute auditions that we listen to every single one, the sheer volume of entries we got was truly spectacular, slash overwhelming, slash amazing.
Speaker 2: It really was. It was great.
Speaker 1: But here we are three left, and after today we will be down to the final two. Before I announced who's going to be joining us as our guest adjudicator today, I do like to give my customary shout outs to everybody who made this contest possible, and there is a long list of people that made this possible. First and foremost of course our friends over there at Prime Video who helped make the contest possible, and of course our friends who we work with all the time at Critical Role Goal. Checkout season two of The Legend of ox Maketing, which is available for download now.
Speaker 2: It is a phenomenal show.
Speaker 1: And I always say it's not because I'm on it, but let's be honest, after all this time together, folks, it's because of me.
Speaker 2: It's really not. It's because of the rest of the cast that I just get to play. But I love to be able to say that.
Speaker 1: We'd also like to thank our friends, my friends, the most amazing voiceover agency on the planet is CESD, who, of course, it's like the grand prize, our winner who we're going to find out who very soon, you know, the next week or two is going to get a one year contract with CESD to really get to go and start their voiceover career again. Anybody who has been following this podcast from the beginning knows that any time we mention this to anybody in the know, their mouth drop open. And it is a phenomenal gift that we are so excited to be able to give out. And we're only able to do that because of the people over there at CESD, and then, finally, last, but certainly not least, because we love them so much. Our parent company over here at iHeart, who really made the entire thing possible. When we went to them and said, hey, we'd love to do this, they said, let's do it, and they gave us everything we could to make it happen. So Christy and I cannot thank iHeart enough for doing all of that for us. Now that being said, here we are the Final Four, the final episode of the Final Four, and we have one person in the finals already. Everybody who listened last week know that Hannahbama once again moved forward.
Speaker 3: It is getting tougher and tougher and tougher.
Speaker 1: And this week we have Haley from Texas and Mia from Florida who are going to be vying to see who joins Hannabama in the finals. It's getting harder and harder every single week. We are now nitpicking these voice actors to see who is going to move forward. But nobody is going to be able to help more than our guest judge adjudicator, as Christy likes to say, who we have with us this week. She is not only one of my oldest and dearest friends, but is arguably, and this is not hyperbole, one of, if not the greatest voiceover director in history.
Speaker 2: Again not an exaggeration. Her credits are thirty one years long. We're talking.
Speaker 1: We're starting at Hanna, Barbara with Duck Tails, Chippendale Rescue Rangers, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman, the animated series, another little show called Batman Beyond twenty three direct videos Emmy's galore. They're all over her house dressed in Barbie clothes. That is not an exaggeration, and it's not it's unbelievable. And I called and I said, can you please please come and help us solidify the finals, And because she is the most amazing person in the world, she agreed to do just that. So everybody out there today, we are privileged to have with us.
Speaker 2: Andrea Romano, I'm here, yea.
Speaker 4: Hi, Darle, how are you good. I'm all the happier to see you now and later this week too, which makes me positively thrilled.
Speaker 2: I am so excited too.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're going to be judging for us today, helping us judge today, and then we just get to hang.
Speaker 2: Out on Wednesday, which will be love that. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: So before we jump into our contest today, I was just talking a little bit about your career, which is ridiculous, thirty one years you've been in the industry. And if you don't mind, I so anytime I see your name coming up in the credits, I obviously get very excited.
Speaker 3: And I haven't been able to see that for a while.
Speaker 1: And then a new animated movie came out not too long ago, and I see, Andrea Romano, did you do a Superman movie recently?
Speaker 4: I didn't make one weekly, but they could have re released something that I did. Are you sure it was my name?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent positive? Yeah, so it was. It was.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm on that Warner Brothers list where they send me the new videos, and it was like three weeks ago and I pop it on and there's Andrea Romano.
Speaker 4: Wow, can you tell me the name of it?
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't remember what it was, but it was a Superman movie. I will make sure that I'll let you know what it is on Onnesday. So, oh, man, I was hoping you had come out of retirement and you had directed something again.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm always willing to do that if the gig is the right gig and if a deal can be made. I've never said absolutely not, I will never do it again. That said, I'm enjoying my retirement very much.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine, so it would have to.
Speaker 4: Be something really special for me to come out, but I'm totally willing to do a session.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Got I got a lot of your care. Obviously, you can't get all your credits because it's an hour long show. But I got a lot of your credits. But the one thing, how many Emmys?
Speaker 2: Is it? I have eight eight Emmy Awards?
Speaker 4: Have I lost count of nominations after thirty three? I have thirty three nominations that I have certificates for and everything. But I know there's a handful more than that. I just lost count.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So are you like Tom Brady where you don't? You don't think about the six super Bowls you won? You think about the two you lost.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm so grateful for each one of these that I won, and for almost all of them, I was there in person to accept them, which is, I mean, just a great party, and to walk away with one of those little golden ladies is just a beautiful thing. And especially because for an Emmy Award, you're being judged by your peers, you know, everything is a peer group decision. That made me really happy to think that other people thought I did a good job too.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: Well, again, we could talk about your You've been on the show before, so we've done kind of a version of this already, I thought.
Speaker 2: So, however, this is much higher stakes. So to bring you.
Speaker 1: Up to date, we launched the Super Awesome Contest to become the next Big Voice Actor. Okay, and we had forty five hundred entries across the United States. Because the US, just the US, we were only allowed to do the US.
Speaker 2: We are now down to this.
Speaker 1: Well, after today we will determine our final two. Going to the finals, the winners get flown out to Los Angeles. They will have lunch with Christy and I. They get a thousand dollars spending money. They get to do a quick voiceover training session with Mary McGlynn and Sam Regal from Critical Role, and they sign a one year contract with CEESD, my voiceover agent. Oh my gosh, so a right, A very big prize. The winner gets to sign with a huge agency for a year and gets to go and try.
Speaker 2: To start their career.
Speaker 4: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: We have put them through the ringer to start to ask you. So, the first game we did was a game that was called by the Numbers.
Speaker 2: So what by the numbers was? Is you?
Speaker 3: We wrote some dialogue, I wrote I'll take credit.
Speaker 2: I wrote some dialogue. But they didn't know what.
Speaker 1: Their characters were and the characters were broken down into different numbers and different categories. It was like size, age, what are you in a special attribute? And then our guest judges, who were voiceover actors, would come on and randomly pick these numbers which would create the character on the spot that the voiceover actor then had to create and use those lines of dialogue. They did those two and then we give them a third that they had to do. They had to read cold.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So we then went from our that was our first sixteen. We went from forty five hundred to pick the fine the top sixteen. We then got to our eight, our elite eight. Then did something called Extra Extra Read all about It, which is all adreads because we know that as a voiceover actor, actually the vast majority of things you're auditioning for are ad reads. So I created a whole bunch of products that didn't exist. Then they had to do thirty second commercials and then one cold. Now we are to what we call get in the Booth, and what we are doing is a straight up voiceover session with a script that has I think we sent you the script, so it is a four page script like a and I will set this up for the audience because we did this last week like a voiceover session. We are not going to be reading the direction or any of that kind of stuff. We are going to read it straight through as we would in the booth. So if it's okay with you, what we'll do is we won't say anything to our first contestant and our second contest Obvious, we're not giving somebody advantage, but we won't tell anybody anything.
Speaker 2: We'll say, just take a crack at it. I will be playing one character.
Speaker 1: They will be playing one character, and we will just run through and then if you would, you can give them notes and direct them, and then we will go to the second contestant and do the same thing.
Speaker 4: So we'll do a second run, a second pass with.
Speaker 1: We will we will be doing a second past and actually, if we get to the point where it's too close what we're going to be what we're going to do, then we're going to each give them two takes at it after you give them some notes, and.
Speaker 3: Then we are going to switch characters, so.
Speaker 1: They once now they have to do the other character and I will go from there.
Speaker 3: Again, we are not going to make this easy on them because the prize is so good.
Speaker 1: And then you and I will discuss, you know, and nitpick and see who gets to move on to the finals. Cool, So if that's okay with you, I would love Now the first one we bring in is always the first one who just shows up, okay. So the first one to show up today is Mia from Florida. And if we can bring Mia in, that would be great.
Speaker 2: There's Mia. Hi, Mia, how are you. I'm good, how.
Speaker 5: Are you today?
Speaker 4: So it's nice to meet you.
Speaker 6: Nice to meet you too.
Speaker 5: My name's Mia.
Speaker 2: Mia.
Speaker 1: Congratulations once again on making it to the final four.
Speaker 2: We're so excited to have you back.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: And you know, we're just introducing everybody right now.
Speaker 1: So this is of course Andrea Romano, who directed everything that's ever done in the history of animation essentially, and she is going to be our guest judge today and helping you through the process of get into the booth where you are going to be reading for the start of the role of Cardinal in the script that I sent you. So if you're ready, we will get to you in a second, and you can just take a moment and we will be right back with you.
Speaker 2: If that's all.
Speaker 5: Right, all righty, thanks so much all.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mia. We'll see you in a second. Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: The other thing, Andrea, I should tell you before, not that this is going to influence you in any way, but just to give her a little bit of time.
Speaker 2: Mia is visually impaired.
Speaker 1: Okay, so she needs a little bit more time sometimes reading the script or if we you know, throw something cold at her.
Speaker 2: But she's been rock solid.
Speaker 4: Isn't that the greatest that this is an industry where that can certainly be dealt with and should not hold anybody back from his work.
Speaker 1: She has been just every week just nailing it everything we've thrown at.
Speaker 3: Her, as has Haley from Texas.
Speaker 2: Is Haley with us as well? Ha, there's Haley.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 2: How are you welcome back? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm great?
Speaker 1: Thanks once again, congratulations on making it to the final four.
Speaker 2: One more step for y'all. We're seeing what's you and your fellow contestant.
Speaker 3: Today, and this is.
Speaker 1: The incredible Andrea Romano who has so graciously agreed to help direct you today.
Speaker 2: Did you get your script?
Speaker 6: I did?
Speaker 1: It is right there and you know that you will be playing Cardinal yep, wonderful. So your fellow contestant got here first, so you were up in second, second position today and we will be right back with you.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, all right?
Speaker 3: Hell I see in a second, see in a minute.
Speaker 4: Hate will before we do that. Yeah, yes, she's not hearing Mia. She won't hear me.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, they will not hear each other. They will not know each other or there.
Speaker 1: And now for everybody else listening, So here's what we did last week to make sure that you know what's going on in the scene since we are just going to be doing the actual dialogue. Essentially, we're going to be coming up in the middle of this big superhero fight in the middle of a city. There's laser blasts all over the place, there's other superheroes being slammed to the ground, and these two, you know, one superhero and one villain.
Speaker 2: Are going to meet for a big final battle.
Speaker 1: So, once again, as we did last week, we're going to make sure that the script is up on our Instagram page so you will be able to follow along when we get there. But in the meantime, as we said, we're going to keep this as real as jumping into a booth as you can possibly get. So we don't sit there and read all the direction and stuff we're in the booth. We just read the dialogue like a straight radio play from the thirties, and that's what we're going to be doing today. So big superhero fight, lots of stuff going on, and let's bring Mia back and see what she does.
Speaker 2: With her character of Cardinal.
Speaker 3: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: Pretty good? You know it's been five minutes. You know what can happen?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: All right? Mia? So here we go.
Speaker 1: As we said the first time, no notes, no direction, no anything. We're just gonna have you read it and see how we do. I will be reading against you, and I will be playing Mega Guy and the Blast.
Speaker 2: So okay, here we go, and thus the end of Mega Guy. You know, when I came to this planet, I was told the Hero Crew of the most powerful beings in the entire universe. I must admit that I am disappointed. There's no one here who can best me.
Speaker 5: Judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of redecorating.
Speaker 2: And who exactly are you?
Speaker 5: Well, I suppose it would be implied to give you a butt whooping without properly introducing myself. First, my name is Cardinal. I'm new in town and you are.
Speaker 2: I am the blest offspring of King Tylod and the seventeenth disciple to hold the Monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 5: Hmm, that sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name is Flow.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I have studied all the members of the Hero Crew, and you are not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 5: Well, that's true, and I love that word. A monks, by the way, doesn't get used nearly often enough. You see, I was actually on my way here to Vector City to let try out for that nice, cool superhero team when I read the gone Fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 2: Gone Fishing.
Speaker 6: Okay, that was a lie.
Speaker 5: The sign actually said gonna fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in their bright red eye. You've seen anyone like that around here?
Speaker 2: You dare mock the Monocle of d Nubis?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I dare.
Speaker 2: For huh. That was but a taste of my power. I would have ended you. But I hope you don't mind if I make this last. I really want to savor this victory.
Speaker 5: No, you gotta be the victor first.
Speaker 6: There sport.
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Even at low power? You shouldn't be able to stand after a blast like that.
Speaker 5: I had a lot of waities that might have something.
Speaker 2: To do with it. Ah, I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 5: No, I imagined you wouldn't.
Speaker 6: But that's okay.
Speaker 5: If you don't mind so much, I'm just gonna send you back to wherever it is you came from.
Speaker 2: I wish you the best of luck with that.
Speaker 5: Why would you waste me look to kick your butt?
Speaker 2: I do not know. Oh enough of this. You can go first with the various sounds.
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And this is just about.
Speaker 6: Wrap it up?
Speaker 2: What's it going to be cardinal me or all of these people on the bridge? I thought so.
Speaker 5: Capsulator? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 3: Now, Andrea, I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: Would you would you rather go and hear the other contestants cold read and then do notes and notes or would you rather do notes first?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 4: Let's stay notes now, because she's she's more. She's got it right, you got it? So can I just dive did and get some notes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Very good? So here's something that I noticed, Miya. Yes, everything that you're doing, every speech that you gave, practically every line that you had pretty much had the same energy. And I want to find some places where it's maybe she's just a little bit more confident and quiet, and then she could be bigger and broad, just something so that it's not all the same. Note, do you know what I'm saying? Okay, so let's look at this from the very I'm looking at your first line right is the bottom of page one, correct, judging by the looks of things. Okay, so let's give yourself a better entrance. Let's give yourself a bigger entrance to start that off with just a good superhero, nice strong entrance. And then I'm looking at page two the blasts, who exactly are you? Well, I suppose it would be impolted to give you a butt whooping. So you say, my name is Cardinal, have a little more ego about it, Okay, Okay, just my name is. I'm going to tell you who I am, And here's who I am. And so then you continue that conversation just below that, he says, I'm the blast offspring of King blah blah, blah, and I would like to just do a really technical thing nia, and that is that sounds, and then take a second before you say the word ne okay. You know, there could be so many other words that you're going to say after that sounds, and then you make the decision to use the word ice. So give yourself that little moment. I'm looking down on that same page he says, gone fishing, and then you say, Okay, that was a lie. The sign actually said. Your pace has been very consistent. I'm thinking if we do okay, that was a lie the sign actually said, and then move through this next part a little bit faster. The god to fight this weird, vastly looking creep. Just move through that a little bit faster. Just again, what are the many ways that we can area performance is with tempo, is with speed. So in this particular instance, let's try to just speed her up for that line.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, so slow at the beginning for just the first minute, and then get speedier when she's reciting, like the note on what's in quotes?
Speaker 4: Yes, the part of that's in quotes exactly? Can you see that well enough? You know it's part of Okay, through a bright red eye. Perfect, Thank you. Then both of you guys, when we get to the impacts of the fight stuff.
Speaker 5: I think I went to early too. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: I like that's on page four. What I like to do is I want you to alternate. So will you throw a punch? That means, Mia, you take a punch? Will you you know? Whatever you do, so Mia, your reaction, your sound is going to be dependent upon what Will has done. And then after maybe two or three different things that he does, then you take the lead and you throw the punch. And then will with take the punch. It's just so we have that. So Will, why do we say three things that you instigate and then we'll switch it up and let her instigate?
Speaker 2: Sounds great and.
Speaker 4: Me and did you have any questions for us?
Speaker 5: Not right now?
Speaker 4: Those is OK?
Speaker 6: Fun script, It is so.
Speaker 4: So what I want you to do is look at variety, giving us some variety within it, and if you stumble is to make a mistake, just go back to the beginning of that section and start again without Oh.
Speaker 5: I have one question. Actually, do you guys want me to keep the Louisiana accent? I just kept it because she's you know, she says, She's from.
Speaker 2: I like it too, like it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was your fun choice.
Speaker 1: And now what we're going to do is we'll let you sit with the notes and then we'll be back with you. Okay, So I'm excited you we'll see in a big thank you. I told you there's just so much energy and yeah, they're great. So let's bring in Haley from Texas and see what Haley can do.
Speaker 6: Hi, Haley, Hello again? How are you excited?
Speaker 1: What we're gonna do is like we've done before. We're not going to no notes, know anything. We're not gonna get in your head. We're just gonna run it through straight and we're gonna see you know, I'll be playing the Blast and you're gonna be playing Cardinal and we're just gonna see what you do with it. And then Andrea is going to give you some notes and we'll come back and do a take two.
Speaker 6: Huzza.
Speaker 2: All right, So here we go.
Speaker 3: I will be starting with Mega Guy and going from there.
Speaker 2: And thus the end of Mega Guy. You know, when I came to this planet, I was told the Hero Crew were the most powerful beings in the entire universe. I must admit that I am disappointed. There is no one here that confessed.
Speaker 6: Me judging father looks at things. You're doing a wee bit of redecorating.
Speaker 2: And who exactly are you?
Speaker 6: Well, I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt whooping without properly introducing myself. First, my name is Cardinal, I'm new in town, and you are.
Speaker 2: I am the blast offspring of King Thailand and the seventeenth disciple to hold the Monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 6: That sounds nice.
Speaker 8: I'm from Louisiana and my mom's.
Speaker 2: Name is Flow. I have studied all the members of the Hero Crew, and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 6: Well that's true. I love that word amongst. Doesn't get used nearly enough. Anyway. Was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gone fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 2: Gone fishing.
Speaker 6: Okay, you got me. That was a lie. Now, the sign actually said gone to fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in their bright red eye.
Speaker 5: You've seen anyone like that around here?
Speaker 2: You dare mock the monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I dare.
Speaker 2: Ah, that was but a taste of my power. I would have ended you. But I hope you don't mind if I make this last. I really want to savor this victory.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you gotta be the victim first, there sport.
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Even at low power? You shouldn't be able to stand after a blast like that.
Speaker 6: You know, I do eat a lot of wheedies. That might have something to do with it.
Speaker 2: I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 6: Oh no, oh, I imagine you wouldn't. But hey, that's okay. Now if you don't mind too much, I'm just gonna send you back to wherever it is you came from.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish you the best of luck with that.
Speaker 6: Wait, why would you wish me luck to kick your butt?
Speaker 2: I do? I don't know enough of this, Ah true? Just so, what's it going to be, Cardinal me or all of the people on the bridge? I thought? So catch you later?
Speaker 4: All right, good, very good? And yes please if I.
Speaker 6: May, yes please?
Speaker 4: Uh. The very first line that you have, judging by the looks of things, you had a little tiny stumbled. Do you remember that at the very beginning? Yeah, Judge, that would buy gout whenever that happens, whether it's on that line or anything else, take the second to go back to the top of that line and do it again. Get rid of that mistake, because I'm guessing when you were half a page beyond that, you were still thinking about the fact that you would screwed up that first line. You know what I mean. It's hard to forget screwed up something. That's it, and then you can let it go worry about it, Okay, So just don't be afraid to make that correction the top top of page too, will even more confrontational to her, who's so that she has a better response to that I'm or absolutely do you know what I'm saying there? Heley, your response, so listen to him and follow that.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 4: I love the funny, very funny idea about doing the voice for I'm from Louisiana on Mon's names flow. It's a very funny idea.
Speaker 6: Good for you, such a good voice, exactly.
Speaker 4: See watch your clarity on the next section. Well, that's true, and I love the word amongst by the way, So there's two different thoughts there, right, Haley. Well that's true and I just love right. So I want to get a little bit different thing from your addressing him. And then don't you just love the word shrubbery. I love saying whatever something that just just take that out of it a little bit and then.
Speaker 6: Come back into this totally different energy.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 4: On the section. Okay, that was a lie. The sign actually said, mock him a little bit more, he says. His line following says, you dare mock the monocle of the Nubis, So give him something to react to. Mock him even more on that line before it, find some way to mock him. Okay. And then three, uh, the impacts. When we get to the page four, the fight back and forth, Will is going to do three sounds. He's going to throw a punch. You take the punch. He's going to kick you take the kick. He's going to do a third something that is an attack on you. You respond, and then after three you're going to do the attacking. He's going to respond. So the sounds that we're going.
Speaker 6: To do there, okay, amazing, thank you.
Speaker 4: And then the very last line and even says in the stage direction, car voice, Starry voice rings out, Yeah, make that a better exit loud. Yeah, you know enjoy a little more, and and just in general, it's very good in general trying to find just some more variety, whether it's volume, whether it's pace, whether it's attitude. Make sure that you've got a bunch of different things that you're showing in this scene. Okay, did you have any questions for us?
Speaker 6: What did the was the accent?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: I was trying to give her a bit of a what do you in a country bumpkin?
Speaker 2: I did either. I thought it was a good choice. I liked it. Okay, okay, all right, well, thank you. We will be back with you. You can sit with the notes and we'll be back to do it. Take to really thank you so much.
Speaker 1: So one of the things we like to do in between is just see if somebody kind of one round one.
Speaker 2: Do you think that somebody is standing out yet?
Speaker 4: I don't yet.
Speaker 3: I don't either.
Speaker 2: I don't either. I'll make interesting choices for you know what.
Speaker 1: The thing that you used to always tell me and you tell I've heard you tell another of Pece. You know thousands of people, frankly is people often forget the actor part of voice actor. And so one of the things we're really looking for is an actor, and.
Speaker 2: They're they're both good. They both had some interesting choices and.
Speaker 1: And uh yeah, I'm I'm curious to see how now they take the direction and take the notes and go from there too.
Speaker 3: So let's bring me a back and see see what she's doing.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hi, Mia, how are you?
Speaker 9: I'm good?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 1: So we are going to, uh you know, with those notes, we will go and do these again, and don't forget when we get to the impacts.
Speaker 3: I'll start three and then you start three.
Speaker 1: So we'll do six sounds total six well six go arounds, I guess is where it would be six couplets.
Speaker 2: And we have one question really, yes, of course.
Speaker 5: So after you do an impact sound, should I make like a dodging type sound like after your three? Or do you want to do just three straight up? And then I'll do three.
Speaker 4: Back and forth? And all right, So will throws a punch? You take the punch I'll throw as a kick, You take the kick. Well, there's a spinning something you and then then just the opposite you'll get the chance to do that kind of physical action where you are doing the aggressive part of it. And he's going to be a reaction to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll do that. We'll do that right back to back, so we'll do those all those sounds together. It'll be great.
Speaker 5: Alrighty, all right?
Speaker 4: Any other questions I wanted to ask you before you went it again? Sitting there with those notes? Did anything else?
Speaker 5: I had fun?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Her?
Speaker 3: Fun is good. Fun is good.
Speaker 1: You can't have fun recording stuff like this, then pick another business exactly.
Speaker 2: So here we go, and thus the end of Mega Guy. You know, when I came to this planet, I was told that the Hero Crew were the most powerful beings in the entire universe. I must admit that I am disappointed. There is no one here who confessed me.
Speaker 5: Judging by the looks of things, you are doing a wee bet of.
Speaker 6: Re decorating men.
Speaker 2: Who exactly are you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt whoopan without properly introducing myself. First, my name is Cardinal. I'm new to town and you are.
Speaker 2: I am the blast offspring of King Tylod and the seventeenth disciple to hold the Monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 5: Hmm, that sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name is Flow.
Speaker 2: I have studied all of the members of the Hero Crew, and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 5: Well, that's true, and I love that word amongst, By the way, doesn't get used nearly enough.
Speaker 10: You see.
Speaker 5: I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gone fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 2: Gone fishing.
Speaker 6: Okay, that was a lie.
Speaker 5: The sign actually said. God, if i'd some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass and the bright red eye. You've seen anyone like that around here?
Speaker 2: You dare mock the monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I dare.
Speaker 2: That was but a taste of my power. I would have ended you. But I hope you don't mind if I make this last. I really want to savor this victory.
Speaker 5: No, you gotta be the victor first. There, sport.
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Even at low power? You shouldn't be able to stand after a blast like that.
Speaker 5: I had a lot of waitnies that I might have something to do with it.
Speaker 2: I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 5: Hmm, No, I imagine you wouldn't. But that's Okay, if you don't mind too much, I'm just gonna send you back to wherever it is you came from.
Speaker 2: I wish you the best of luck with that.
Speaker 5: Uh, why would you wish me love to kick your boat?
Speaker 2: I do not know. Okay, enough of this, Yeah, no, and this is just about wrapping up. What's it gonna be, Cardinal me or all of the people on the bridge?
Speaker 5: Hm hmm, I thought so, casulator alligator.
Speaker 4: No, it was so great, really nice adjustments that you made. I heard those choices. I could tell that you were messing with the rhythm and the time and the volume. And you follow my notes so nicely.
Speaker 2: We can, Andrea, we can do pickups. It's just what I was a pickups.
Speaker 4: Absolutely excellent. Oh. I loved what you did with that first. I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt will be without properly introducing myself. My name is Cardinal a Newtown sweet. Loved it. You're writing that sequence faster that I asked you to make me laugh out loud. God, I've made me laugh out loud, really really good. I wanted to do a pickup, please on. I want to do the two impacts of a top of page three. So you get you get hit in the chest by a blast that he fires, and then you hit the building. So I want the first one to be imagine, if you will, the sound of getting hit in the chest, so and then a bigger but still that same kind of impact as your body hits a right, So maybe it's that. Will you just do those who sounds for me?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: So just the two impacts, not like sign through the air or anything.
Speaker 4: Well, you don't have to make a sound during that. Let's just say yeah, gotcha, alrighty, really good, do both of them bigger? Okay, that's it, that's it, very good. On that same section, you say you gotta be you got to be the victor first bear sport. I want to do three in a row, three takes of the same line. Yes, and I want it to just exude confidence. You are so absolutely sure that you have You're going to best the sky absolutely no problem. But make sure that each of those three takes are different. Find a way to marry each of those three. Do three in a row? ABC, You're ready?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 5: So you said you wanted confident, but is maybe is it okay? If I like start off because I think she's like getting a off the ground after being slammed into this building, right.
Speaker 4: That's right? That would thank you.
Speaker 5: You gotta be the victor first. There, Sports, you gotta be the victor there. First, sports, you gotta be the victor first there.
Speaker 4: Sports, all three good options. Then the next time you have after that. I eat a lot of wheaties. I had a clarity problem. I just couldn't understand the word wheaties. And so let's do three of those in a row just for clarity. Okay, I'm sorry, before you do it, excuse me? Well, would you read her into it once?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: And then you just do three in a row after he reads you in once?
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Even that low power. You shouldn't be able to stand after a blast like that.
Speaker 5: I ate a lot of wheaties. That might have something to do with it. I ate a lot of waiters that might have something to do with it. I eat a lot of wheaties. I might have something to do with it.
Speaker 4: In my choice, how I pick.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, I know you well enough, andreda where I've just heard you say, see.
Speaker 4: Okay, you handled the alternate fighting thing just great. Wonderful and uh, I don't have another pickups? Will? Did you have anything then? No?
Speaker 2: I think it's great.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: We will be back with you in a bit.
Speaker 3: May or Hermia Ah, thank you bye.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 2: She did she handled all this stuff really well, very well, very well. Yeah, okay, great, Let's bring in Haley and see how she does. Hey, hi Ellie, hello again, Here we go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna just jump right in with with the notes and see if we can go from there.
Speaker 2: Are you good? Yep?
Speaker 3: All right, here we go.
Speaker 2: And thus the end of Mega Guy. You know, when I came to this planet, I was told that the Hero Crew were the most powerful beings in the entire universe. I must admit that I am. I'm disappointed. There is no one here who can bessed me.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of redecorating.
Speaker 2: And who exactly are you?
Speaker 6: Well, I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt whooping without properly introducing myself.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 6: My name is Cardinal, i'mnu in town and you are.
Speaker 2: I am the blest offspring of King Taylod and a seventeen disciple to hold the monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 6: Well that sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana and my mom's names. Oh.
Speaker 2: I have studied all of the members of the Hero Crew, and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 6: Well, now that's true. I love that word amongst. By the way, does not get used nearly enough. Anyway. I was actually on my way here to Victor City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gone fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 2: Gone fishing.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, you called me that was a lie. Now the sign actually said gone to fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in their bright red eye. You uh seeing anyone like that around here?
Speaker 2: You dare mock the monocle of Danubis?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I dare.
Speaker 5: Ah ah.
Speaker 2: That was but a taste of my power. I would have ended you, But I hope you don't mind if I make this last. I really want to savor this victory.
Speaker 11: Oh, you gotta be the victor first there, sport.
Speaker 2: How is that possible? Even at low power? You shouldn't be able to stand after a bless like that.
Speaker 6: I need a lot of wheedies that might have something to do with it.
Speaker 2: I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 6: Oh now, I imagine you wouldn't. But hey, that's okay. Now if you don't mind too much, I'm just gonna send you back to wherever it is he came from.
Speaker 2: Now, I wish you the best of luck with that.
Speaker 6: Why would you wish me luck to kick your butt?
Speaker 2: I do not know? Okay, enough of this.
Speaker 4: H h.
Speaker 6: Hell this, She just about wrap it up.
Speaker 2: What's it gonna be, Cardinal me or all of the people on the bridge? I thought so pat later, Okay, right, all right.
Speaker 4: Good, good, good, A lot of really good stuff there there there's a what did you want to say? Anything? Will before? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, We're gonna now we're gonna Andrea is going to walk you through some pickups.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 4: One general note. I noticed that you come up off the script a lot and are kind of looking out into the world and everything. You don't have to do that, and it takes you out of the moment. It makes you take a little bit longer exactly. You got the sense of it. So that's one of the joys of voiceover, is that words in front of you all the time, and.
Speaker 2: That the it's your theater. That's I get it.
Speaker 4: You book. You don't have to ever be off book. Okay, I love that. So look at your very first line. That's the first that we get to know you, your character whatever. I think you need to give us a stronger entrance. Okay, it kind of just came in kind of conversationally and stuff. Somehow you need to grab us and let us hear. So will you do three in to row of that first line? Yeah, you'll be three different versions anyway you want to mess with it, But just give me something that says I'm here, deal with me now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, And is it cool if I sort of maybe drop the accent some do a couple with the accent and couple without. Is that just to try different things?
Speaker 3: Pick it and don't forget your only audience is that microphone?
Speaker 6: That one right there? Right Well, judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of a redecorating. Judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of redecorating. Judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of a redecorating.
Speaker 4: Good those are three indeed different ones. I'm looking at the stage direction before it. It says, as the smoke clears, young superhero hovers in the air, looks around, it takes in the distrestruction. So I just think there's something that kind of very first word has to get our tech judging by I mean something, because there's this big sky and there's you, and there's all these buildings knocked down, and so give me three more bigger, okay, bigger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, judging by the looks of things.
Speaker 6: You're doing a wee bittery decorating.
Speaker 12: Judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bittery decorating. Judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of redecorating.
Speaker 4: I like the first one of those three. Well done. Good for you.
Speaker 2: Go to.
Speaker 4: Page two, one, two, three, four, four lines down. That sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana. My mom's name is flow. The word flow dropped out. It just fell out of your voice. He didn't my mom's name name is.
Speaker 6: It just went weird, weird, So so it might have been there, that might have been.
Speaker 5: I just think it.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it happens that people lose their energy before the end of the line, and so everything else is being recorded perfectly fine, straight, and then that last word just dies out. Okay, right, so you give me a roll that the performance was fine. Just give me three.
Speaker 6: That sounds nice.
Speaker 8: I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name is Flow.
Speaker 6: Oh that sounds nice.
Speaker 8: I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name is flow.
Speaker 6: Ooh that sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name.
Speaker 4: Nice. You start touching on something there that I want to do. Will would you meet her into it again? Of course you're in your most evil and then Haley this time like so sweet all the way through, just the sweetest thing. He's going to be evil. You're going to be a contrasted That's just one past of that, both you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am the blessed offspring of King Thailand and a seventeen disciple to hold the monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 6: Oh that sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name is flow.
Speaker 4: I love that. I love that very funny. That's how you talk to an evil guy. Hey, something I want to play the next peak you have there, the line that's kind of parenthetical or the lines are yes, and I love that word amongst, by the way, doesn't get used nearly enough. So what I want you to do is I want you to do one take, not saying that line at all. Go from Well, that's true, you see, I actually was on my way. I want you just to write, and then I want you a second take, acknowledging that center line, which has a different energy. Right, yeah, well that's true, and then back to business. Right, okay, so the two texts of that speech will read here, and would you just he's gonna read you in once.
Speaker 2: Of course, thank you. I have studied all the members of the Hero Crew and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 6: Well that's true, you see. I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gone fishing sign on the front of their headquarters. Well that's true. You know. I do love that word amongst, by the way, does not get used nearly enough. You see. I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gune fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 4: That's good, that was nice, you see. The difference to see why when you do that, there's a different energy for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, parenthetical, proper beat that I don't think I was giving it before, Haley.
Speaker 4: The next line, when you did the the second pass all the way through when we first came back from the break, you didn't do the villain voice for I'm from Louisiana. My mom's name is slow. You didn't. And that was a fine choice, that was okay, But in doing that, it seemed to me maybe this line, okay, that was a lie. The sign actually said, now when you get to gone to fight, that could use Will's scary voice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so we'll read it with gone fishing and let her try that.
Speaker 2: Would you sure gone fishing?
Speaker 6: Okay, that was a lie. The sign actually said.
Speaker 8: Gone to fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in the bright red eye.
Speaker 6: You seen anyone like that around here?
Speaker 4: Nice? Very nice variety, very good. And there was one other thing. Oh yeah, go to the line on page three. You gotta be the victor there, you gotta be the victory. And you know if victor there first. If you want to invert those works, fine, but three of those and faster. It just was moving too slow. Okay, I just need some more, some more. You're in the middle of a fight, and it was kind of conversational and so tough and strong and faster. Three of those.
Speaker 11: You got to be the victor first their sport. You gotta be the victor first there sport.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 6: Well, you gotta be the victor first their sport.
Speaker 4: Well, that's nice. I like that last one, too good for you? Uh yes, and those are my notes.
Speaker 2: Okay, Helly, we will be back with you, Thank you much, thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, so after round two, what do you think.
Speaker 2: It's tough?
Speaker 4: It is tough. They they both. I love their energy and their enthusiasm. My god, that goes such a long way. I almost feel like Mia. The accent works well for what she's doing. I don't know that Haley needs to use the accent. I'd like to hear her do a whole version of this without the accent, okay, because I feel like her her acting. She doesn't think about the acting as much. She's thinking about the accent more right, I would like to hear I'd like to her to pay a little bit more attention to what's going on. I think Mia did a very good job of taking the notes we gave her before the break. I thought so too, and addressing them in her next version.
Speaker 1: And it's so strange because for the first time, I always saw Haley's on stage kind of stage presence as a positive and for the first time, I'm kind of seeing the negative sides of it. When it comes to the vo world. She's not working the microphone the way that she used to do. She's kind of all over the place a little bit. I saw that, and so it's this is kind of the first time we're really seeing that.
Speaker 3: And again, you know, as not to bring down the room.
Speaker 1: But as Kevin taught me the first time sitting in the booth, it was all about the microphone and this. He's like, this is your best friend while you're in here. It's not me, it's not the people next to you. It is this thing right in front of you. And you know, Mia is right there on the mic the whole time, and Haley is acting, which is great, but it's pulling her away from kind of working the microphone, which is a you know, that's big.
Speaker 4: It is it also, as I mentioned to her, it slows her down. Yeah, it goes off here somewhere, and then she's got to come back and find the script and find this. So so you know how animation who's so quickly and stuff. She's she's pondering the much.
Speaker 1: And now the question the question I would add I would I would pose is because we talked about I made this analogy I think it was last week, because now we are nitpicking. There's an old analogy in baseball that two people run to first base and they both get there at the same time. One of them has perfect form, one of them has bad form. Which one do you take? And the answer from the coach is you take the one with bad form, because if you teach them good form, they're going to eventually beat the other person who had the perfect form. So the question is, do you take somebody where they're not working the microphone right, but maybe they're slightly better actors and teach them how to work the microphone. Would that, in the long run make them better or do you make do you take the person who is working the microphone right but maybe doesn't have the same acting chops.
Speaker 4: You know, this is the same thing that I used to deal with when we were in taking acting classes in college. I'm like, how do you grade? Do you grade them because when they started they were really crap and now they're passable? Or do you take the person who was a really good actor from the beginning and it is equally as good an actor at the end. Who gets the better grade? Who it's the same issue. It's for your purposes. You. It seems to me you were intending to take these people somewhere meaning growth, sure, wanting them to perceive what it is to get direction and how to use it. Yeah, intimidating you. So I really want can we run one more pass from both of them?
Speaker 2: We can, sure.
Speaker 1: I think one of the other things that we've we've always said, and we've been keeping this in our mind as well, trying to find somebody that can win this contest on Monday and be in a professional booth working on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: So that's the other thing.
Speaker 4: That what negative these ladies have for you in that goal?
Speaker 2: I don't at this point, it's not so much.
Speaker 3: I mean, again, if I'm if we're nitpicking.
Speaker 1: I thought that Haley's second round was not nearly as good as her first.
Speaker 2: I thought some of the choices she made slowed her down.
Speaker 1: I thought the energy was a little bit lacking where I thought some I thought Mia took the directions that you gave her and it upped the performance the second round. So you know that, I mean again, that's that would be the only negative I would take away is I think, Hailey, it's almost and again this is from theater. You're you almost start overthinking the performance and then you're trying to force beats that aren't necessarily there.
Speaker 4: There's that will and there's also she's doing physical things that when you look at it, it works, but of course when we only get the vocal track afterwards, it's not there.
Speaker 2: Sure so sure all.
Speaker 4: Her gesturing and all of her stuff that she's doing, unless it actually comes through in the voice, it's it's extreme.
Speaker 3: Right if you're I mean again, I go to Mark Hamill.
Speaker 1: You see the way that Mark Hamill is is working the microphone and he's just he's gesticulating all over the.
Speaker 2: Place, but everything is into the microphone.
Speaker 1: So it adds to the performance as opposed to now you're over here and now my face is this way, and now so it's you know, Matt Mercer, you know, towards the end of ThunderCats, was was nailing the performance while all over the I mean you'd have we'd move our chairs away because we thought we'd be punched in the face. So it's you can find the combination of the two. I just don't think that last take showed it for her.
Speaker 4: I agree, So I mean depending, I don't know how what your next plan is after this, but I mean we could just run another paths just with Haley having her do it without accent.
Speaker 2: We can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, normally, what we would do right now is we would switch and have them both through the blast. But but again, we're trying to find the best person here. So if you want to go back and you would rather run it with them one more time each, you're the guest judge.
Speaker 2: I have no problem.
Speaker 4: Don't mind moving on and making that change if you want to. I just think that I think she can do it better. That's all right. I really don't have any additional notes for me on it, and Meia took the notes and did exactly what I wanted. And I just think Haley she could do a better job. I think she can do better. Then we can tell them we'll have a better gauge of.
Speaker 2: Who's so is that what you'd want to do.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if we're being so essentially, the only reason we're not doing this and giving me a more.
Speaker 2: Direction is because she doesn't need it correct.
Speaker 1: So she did the best version of that performance, and we can judge on that. And now you want to see if you want to if Haley can get that.
Speaker 2: I do, Okay, No problem is.
Speaker 4: Will you bring up a really good point, which is, you know, sometimes you'd sit there in a cast of you know, six, seven, eight people around you, and somebody got a whole bunch of notes and somebody didn't get any notes, and they were like, why why didn't I get any notes? Because you did it right right, because it got so I don't want her to feel like we're punishing her for getting it right. But we don't have to do the whole thing with Haley. We can just do let's just do page two.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got no again.
Speaker 1: We're trying to find the best person here, so you know we're we we want the best version of everybody so we can judge it properly.
Speaker 3: I don't have a problem with that at all.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, why don't we bring Haley back in real quick and We're just going to run page two with her again and then you flip right, Hey, Haley, hell, hey, we want to do one more thing with you, if that's all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, please, Andrea, please take it away.
Speaker 4: Yes, I want you to run just page two, and this time I want to do the performance without the accent. Yes, just to hear what it sounds like if you just play the scene with your own voice, essentially, but with superhero energy. Yeah, just take the scene.
Speaker 6: The same notes and everything is before, Yeah, exactly, all the same notes.
Speaker 4: I just want to run it from just all page two. Ye. So will you start us off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, ma'am, here we go.
Speaker 4: Ready, Yeah, that's do it.
Speaker 2: And who exactly are you?
Speaker 6: Well, I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt woman without properly introducing myself. First. My name is Cardinal, I'm new in town, and you are.
Speaker 2: I am the blast offspring of King Thailand and the seventeenth disciple to hold the Monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 6: That sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana and my mom's name is Flow.
Speaker 2: I have studied all of the members of the Hero Crew, and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, that's true. Oh I love that word amongst by the way, doesn't get used nearly enough.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: You see, I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gone fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 2: Gone fishing.
Speaker 6: Okay, you got me. That was a lie. Now the sign actually said gone to fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in their bright red eye. Have you seen anything like that around here?
Speaker 2: You dare mark the Monica of d Nubis.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I dare.
Speaker 4: Nice, nice, very good, A valid read just I wanted to hear without the accent.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, we'll be back.
Speaker 4: Okay, you didn't quite get there.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: Performing for the camera, I agree for the live audience, I agree. And and again it's it's a uh, it's a theater thing.
Speaker 4: It is. It is. It is typically theater actors because they're they're willing to boost the energy of things for on stage work. You get the energy for animation better. It's just that she's focusing on the wrong things.
Speaker 1: Yes, and again that's this is where the disconnect happens, because that can be taught. But that's not necessary. We're not looking for a diamond in the rough. We're looking for somebody that can jump in the booth. Day one. Let's do a run where we're gonna flip them. But what we're gonna do because we don't want to just keep going back and forth, I'd like you to say heads are tails if you would, And I'm going to be using Boy Meets World season five, which excellent Rider Strong on the cover, and we're going to see so heads will be Mia and tails will be Hailey. So heads are tails, please hails? It is heads?
Speaker 4: All right? Then?
Speaker 2: So I think that was Mia? Was it not said? All right? Let's bring Mia in every time.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I see Rider Strong's luscious locks and I cannot think of anything.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go, Hi, Miash, Hello, how are you fine? How are you? So? If you gotta do that, you gotta occasionally got to have your own sound effects when you come into the room.
Speaker 1: We are going to throw a little curveball at you, if that's okay, Yeah, yeah, And we are going to switch rolls.
Speaker 6: Nah, I get to be the villain, so you.
Speaker 2: Are the blast. We are just going to run it one time and then maybe if there's a pickup we need to do, but it is going to be quick through. You are the blast.
Speaker 1: I would also say that this is important since maybe you might not be as familiar with the material. If you do stumble the line, just stop and do the line again, so we're we're not kind of rushing through, and then you can get the performance that you want fair enough.
Speaker 5: Would you like me to Mega Guy too?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Okay, that would be wonderful. So yes, whatever you want to do, and we will go from there.
Speaker 6: Okay, a.
Speaker 7: End, Thus the end of Mega Guy. You know, when I came to this planet, I was told that the Hero Crew were the most powerful beings in the entire universe. I must admit that I am disappointed.
Speaker 4: There is no one.
Speaker 2: Here who can beat me. Ah well, judging by the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit of redecorating.
Speaker 7: And who exactly are you?
Speaker 2: Well, I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt weapon without properly introducing myself. First, my name is Cardinal and I'm new in town and you.
Speaker 7: Are I am the blast, offspring of King Thailand in seventeenth disciple to hold the monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 2: That sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana. My mom's name's Flow.
Speaker 7: I have studied all the members of the Hero Crew, and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 2: Well that's true.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess.
Speaker 2: I love that word a monks. By the way, it doesn't get used nearly enough.
Speaker 1: You see, I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I I'm gonna see I'm.
Speaker 2: Gona do that again. Well, that's true, and I love that word a monks. By the way, it does not get used nearly enough anyway.
Speaker 1: Yes, you see, I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team when I read the gone fishing sign on the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 7: Gone fishing?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's that was a lie. The sign actually said gone to fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in their bright red eye.
Speaker 4: You seen anyone like that around here?
Speaker 7: You damn up the monocle of danubish Yeah, dare no.
Speaker 2: Hah.
Speaker 7: That was but a taste of my power. I would have ended you, but I hope you don't mind if I make this last. I really want to savor this victory.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yeah, you gotta be the victor first their sport.
Speaker 6: How is that possible?
Speaker 5: Even at low power? You shouldn't be able to Let me try again?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 6: How is that possible? Even at low power?
Speaker 5: You shouldn't be able to stand after a blast like that.
Speaker 2: I eat a lot of wheaties that might have something to do with it.
Speaker 7: I do not understand.
Speaker 2: I do it again.
Speaker 7: I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: No, I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 3: No, I imagine you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. Now, if you don't mind too much, I'm just gonna send you back to wherever it is you came from.
Speaker 5: I wish you the best of luck with that.
Speaker 2: What now? Why why would you wish me luck to kick your butt?
Speaker 6: I do not know well enough of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dah, and this should just about wrap it up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what's it gonna be, Cardinal me or all of these people on the bridge?
Speaker 9: Hmmm?
Speaker 2: I thought so.
Speaker 3: Catch it later.
Speaker 6: Allegated goods variety a completely different character for you than what you did before.
Speaker 4: I want to do two little pickups. One is oh, page Barber, page two, You dare mock the Monocle of Danubis. I want to do three in a row, and I want to use that nice deeper part of your range that you were using right at the very beginning at this copy. I want to have the anger you're insulted, and I want to get three different versions of how dare you?
Speaker 13: Essentially three in a row already, you dare mock the Monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 7: You dare mock the Monocle of Danubis. You dare mock the Monocle of Danubis.
Speaker 4: That I love that very good. And then there was, oh, oh, the LINEY gave you trouble. I do not understand the reference. When we very first started doing the take, it was a very William Shatner read. It was I do not understand, and I like that.
Speaker 9: I liked what I was going.
Speaker 4: And then you stumbled or you didn't finish with the reference.
Speaker 2: I cut it off.
Speaker 5: I have my game blown up on a specific way. I literally cut off the last two words, so I thought that was the whole line.
Speaker 4: I was like, I get it, I get it, but I loved where you were going because it was it's not wrong for it to be a William Shatner eskue.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, please, so will would you read.
Speaker 4: Her into it? Please?
Speaker 5: With that?
Speaker 4: Might I eat a lot of and then again, I want you to do three and at least one of them with that hesitant to read you know what I mean? Yes, so he's gonna read you once. You're gonna do it three times.
Speaker 3: I eat a lot of wheaties. That might have something to do with it.
Speaker 7: I do not understand the reference. I do not understand the reference. I do not understand the reference.
Speaker 4: What did you? I like it? We'll be back with you, you bet? How fun?
Speaker 2: Totally different?
Speaker 4: Shocked me when she spoke the first line. I was like, this is a girl with a character voice. She's got a cute little voice. She's got more variety than I thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, great, like teen superhero sound too.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and variety within it. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see what We'll see what he can do. We'll bring Haley back in. Hey, Hey, Haley, hello, how are you all right?
Speaker 1: So we're gonna throw something at you real quick, okay, and you and I are going to switch rolls. So you're gonna be the You're gonna be the blast and I am going to be Cardinal amazing.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: All right, So can you start with Mega Guy and we will read it straight through once?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, anytime, go ahead.
Speaker 6: And thus the end of Mega Guy. You know, when I came to this planet, I was told that the Hero Crew were the most powerful beings in this entire universe. I must admit that I'm disappointed. There is no one here who can best me.
Speaker 2: Judge you. By the looks of things, you're doing a wee bit at redecorating.
Speaker 6: And who exactly are you?
Speaker 2: Well, I suppose it would be impolite to give you a butt whoopon without properly introducing myself. First, my name is Cardinal. I'm new in town, and you are.
Speaker 8: I am the blast spring of King Thailod and seventeenth disciple to hold the monocle of the New bas Well.
Speaker 2: That sure sounds nice. I'm from Louisiana. My mom's name's Flow.
Speaker 6: I studied all the members of the Hero Crew, and you were not listed amongst their ranks.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's true, and I love that word amongst By the way, it doesn't get used nearly enough. You see, I was actually on my way here to Vector City to try out for that cool superhero team. When I read the gun fishing sign in the front of their headquarters.
Speaker 6: Gone fishing.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that was a lot, and actually said gona fight some weird looking creep with a single nasty piece of glass in their bright red eye.
Speaker 2: Seen anyone like that around here?
Speaker 6: You dah mock the monocle of Denubis?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I dare a. Oh ah, that was but a taste of my power.
Speaker 6: I would have ended you, but I hope you don't mind if I make this last. I really want to savor this victory.
Speaker 2: Noah, you gotta be the victor first their sport.
Speaker 6: Is this possible?
Speaker 2: Even at low power?
Speaker 6: You shouldn't be able to stand after a blast like that.
Speaker 2: I eat a lot of wheaties. That might have something to do with it. I do not understand that reference. No, No, I imagine you wouldn't. But that's okay. If you don't mind too much, I'm just gonna send you back to wherever it is you came from.
Speaker 6: I wish you the best of luck with that.
Speaker 2: Why Why would you wish me luck to kick your butt?
Speaker 6: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it should just about wrap it up.
Speaker 6: Mm hmmm, well is it going to be a cardinal or all those people on the bridge? I thought so, catchu later?
Speaker 12: Really good, Hailey Good usually play the bad guy instantaneously.
Speaker 4: You thought bad guy British.
Speaker 6: And I thought bad guy Alien.
Speaker 4: It just works.
Speaker 3: Just look at everyone in the Star Wars world.
Speaker 4: I don't know where that works so well, but it does. There was something you did that I want to just do as a pickup this stage one. Yes, a blast at there's no one here who can best me. I want to do a nice, loud version of that, and then a big insane signature laugh for this character, which gets interrupted by the impacts. You kind of did that naturally, and I want to just make sure that we do it where it doesn't sound it kind of just happened, but you actually intended so yeah, and then impacted.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, yes, there is no one here who confessed me.
Speaker 4: Do it again. That's the right idea. A little bit faster, a little bit louder. I know you're trying to work with the microphone there, but you can do it. So it's it's really I want you to support the voice more. It's not so much volume as heft presence. Yes, get let me do all by itself. Just do your evil laugh. Okay, okay, great, so do it with the line now and the impacts after.
Speaker 8: There is no one here who confess me.
Speaker 4: Good. Everybody has to have an evil laugh who wants to work in animation. Of course, very good, well.
Speaker 2: Done, Thank you very much. We'll be right back with you.
Speaker 4: Than you, sarbye.
Speaker 1: I wanted to have the best evil laugh in the world, and then again I did Return of the Joker, and I was like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Even gonna try anymore. So better I thought so too.
Speaker 1: This is also, i mean, the perfect, the quintessential example of how important casting is, because you know, she it was a much better villain than she was a superhero.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so that couts to be part of the question too. When you're casting something, you know what role you want them for. Ideally, and just like what happened with Clancy Brown, Clancy came in to read for Superman, did the voice of Superman? Would you read for Lex Luthorn? Yeah, that's your acting was brilliant on Superman, but you certainly sound like a Lex Luthor to me. Yeah, of course, you know it did so because you're looking at a more general thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have an opinion, I'm I'm I'm actually shocked with my opinion. I thought Haley was one of the stronger ones in the competition, and I still think she's pretty wonderful.
Speaker 2: I thought Mia killed it today too.
Speaker 1: I thought she was did everything and just like you, the second she opened her mouth to do the blast and it was a completely different. I'm also not only did that shock me, but I'm also thinking about the animation business where it is nowadays, and I think with her exuberance and with that tone and her just general tambour, I think she'd work all the time.
Speaker 4: I do too. I mean, we asked her to do two really different types of characters, one a young superhero, the other is an evil villains, and she I think was able to accomplish both of them. Whereas Haley I think was very good as the villain. But I thought her superhero, which you know, just listening to her talking you would have thought would have been better, but it just wasn't as good.
Speaker 1: So I agree, I think Mia, I don't disagree with you at all. I'm I'm actually kind of shocked, but I agree. I think Mia just absolutely crushed it today, and I thought Haley was a little bit in her head and I think maybe trying too much.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately this is you get.
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes you have you don't have a great day, and that's you know. It's one of the things we've talked about on this on this show is that.
Speaker 2: All actors have a bad day in the booth. I have them all the time.
Speaker 4: You just got on right, and oftentimes driving home the performance that they give out loud in the car is tend to better than what they did.
Speaker 1: And it is the It is the the actor equivalent of getting into a fight with somebody and driving home going that's what I should have said, it is, I have such a good comeback.
Speaker 2: Now, it's like, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So I agree with you. I think I think you know, Mia won the day. I really do think she won the day. Okay, great, well this and now we do the most awful thing in the world.
Speaker 4: I hate you have to tell them live now. Yeah, so can we tell them what to work on?
Speaker 2: You can, absolutely, I think, I think, because again, Haley is also moving to Los Angeles, and she's obviously talented to have gotten this far.
Speaker 1: Her villain was great. I mean it really was. Her villain was muy. I think you said it exactly right. Her villain was much better than her superhero, whereas both of MIA's were good, which is why I think she won the day. But okay, so why don't we bring Haley in?
Speaker 2: This is the worst?
Speaker 1: Hey Haley, how are you? It's We're good. So it has been you know, it's been a rough day. It's been a long day. There's a lot going on, and we are we are to the absolute knit picking stages of the contest. Everybody's good.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately this is as far as you're going to be going.
Speaker 6: Okay, but.
Speaker 2: You're great, I mean legitimately very very good. Uh and and a wonderful actor.
Speaker 1: So when when you're moving out to Los Angeles, I think you're going to be happy that you're coming here.
Speaker 4: I absolutely encourage you to continue to pursue this because if you do, you're going to get hired. You just need to continue to work on. Don't be nervous about or don't avoid taking classes voiceover class. And I say that because even the best voiceover actors who are making bazillions of dollars can benefit from a good. Oh voiceover class. Yeah, yeah, it gives you an opportunity to do this stuff more, whereas if you're not getting hired and not getting auditions right away, you'll at least be, you know, practicing with your instrument and learning how to do it more. You had some really good stuff. Some of your instincts were very good. I think you might agree that your villain villainess was better than your hero. That said, I think you absolutely can do the hero roles too. I just think you need to find a better place for that in your vocal radio and and and and don't worry so much about performing it for the audience as much as performing it for that microphone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the that's that theater background.
Speaker 1: I know, if that was your your achilles heel today, if I'm totally anes, that's what it was. Is that there's it's it's very different to perform just for your microphone than it is to perform either for the camera or for an audience. And and it's just you have to you boil Kevin Conroy. You used to tell me, this is your audience. This, this right right in front of you, is the only thing you need to impress. So and I did.
Speaker 3: I think it took a little bit away from your performance this today.
Speaker 1: And the only reason I'm telling you that is because I know that I'm going to be seeing you out in LA and I know you're going to be working, and I know you're going to be a voice actor as well, and I think you you're talented as hell. And we said the top sixteen all could have been signed. The final four really could all be signed. So I see the absolute probability of some agent somewhere listening to just what.
Speaker 2: You did today and saying we've got to sign this person.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna be have Yeah, no, you're you're going to be having an agent absolutely, and.
Speaker 2: You know, good luck out here. You know, look us up. We're gonna we're out here, so look us up.
Speaker 1: And you got you got a friend out in LA so you're not alone out here already, which is cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, that's I just want to say thank you so much. I went from being a full time theater actor for seven years to not doing any performance for the last three and sort of applying for this on a whim literally the day it was due I heard about it, and getting to do this and to get back in the sort of performance muscles. I know this isn't something it's always something I've been interested in but haven't had a chance to do yet. So yes, classes are top of my list. But it really has given me sort of the confidence push to like, hey, I can't, I can't do this. It's it's where it's trying for. So yeah, so thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for this.
Speaker 2: So much firing place. And it's the.
Speaker 4: Right place to be if you want to pursue voiceover. It just the right place to be drawing out here.
Speaker 6: It's got a cute little apartment that has a nice little nook that I'm going to turn into a whisper room. It's going to be on practice.
Speaker 4: Every day, just like whatever physical exercise you do every day. Put that as part of your program. Every day you work on your voice work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think you'll do really well the best. That's the best of luck to you.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And I know this sounds weird to say, but congratuates you went from forty five hundred to number three.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so she's insane and actually good. Three is my lucky number.
Speaker 2: I have three.
Speaker 6: Three tattoos.
Speaker 2: So here you go stilver.
Speaker 3: Lighting, and we'll see we will be seeing you in a booth someday, I promise.
Speaker 6: Thank you, so so thank you, hale enjoy the rest of it, bite you joy.
Speaker 4: She took very well.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 1: She's and that's another sign of being an actor. You hear no ten thousand times. But again she made it from like forty five hundred number three. That's pretty great.
Speaker 2: All right, Mia, let's bring me in. Hi Mia, Hi hoi a yah, I'm fine. How are you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: So you know it's been the competition is getting very stiff. Yes, and everybody is so good, and we come down to the little kind of nitpicky things and it was a rough day today and I just want to say that I'm sorry that you are going to be coming to the finals.
Speaker 6: No, you're joking.
Speaker 2: You are coming to the final.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: So congratulations, you earned it. You did really well today. So much.
Speaker 4: You listen, you pay attention, you follow directions, you absorb that information and you bring it right back out. And you're more versatile than I even expected. When I first heard you do it your younger voice, I thought, Okay, this is an actress with a character voice. Her voice is always going to sound like that. We're going to always hear that. But when you then did the villain, it was like, well where did that voice come from? So well done. Keep learning to expand your repertoire so that you can use that deep lower fall part of your voice as well as the younger, very natural sounding kid voices. And I'm sure you know this. Kid voices that are done by women have a benefit that you don't age out of it. In other words, the hundreds of kids that have Charlie Brown on their resume because there were there was a new Charlie Brown every time a kid came out and his voice changed and he couldn't do it anymore. So women have a real advantage that way. And so what's lovely is that you can do that. And you also could do the mom voys in that same cartoon, ye and you know the waitress and not sound like the same person. Congratulations, well done, well done.
Speaker 2: Top two? What top two? Uh Mia? Remind me one more time? How old are you?
Speaker 7: I am nineteen.
Speaker 2: Nineteen years.
Speaker 1: So congratulations, go and celebrate you got you know you are in the finals of the Super Awesome Contest to become the next big voice actor.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, congratulations, Thank you for a good work, Thank you for a great direction. My pleasure.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time. Mia, thank you. Bye. Oh I love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that and already promising and talented and so cool.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: It was my pleasure. I invite me to do this whenever you next, you do this and let me be more of a part of it, if you'd like. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: This is so much fun. Well, you know, for for the finals, I might want to get a couple people together for the free panel because the finals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the finals.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: We are down to Hannah from Alabama and Mia from Florida. So we got Hannabama and me and Mimi. So it is so unbelievable. Andrea, thank you so much for joining us today and just you know, the best ever and so I love you and I'm so glad you were able to be here, of course, and I will see you in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: All right, perfect, Thank you so much. Andre.
Speaker 4: Thanks to the crew that did everything for us. Thank you you guys.
Speaker 2: They're awesome. Thank you. We'll see us soon.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So there it is, everybody, there are the finals as long as this, this whole time coming in the making. Hannah from Alabama going up against Mia from Florida, it has been incredible. Once again, to Haley from Texas, you did so well in this competition. You really crushed it and we know we're going to be seeing you out here again because you were wonderful. And thank you to everybody who's been following us on this journey. It has been fun, hard, spectacular, awful, highs, lows, everything in between. Thank you to everybody who has helped us out. Lorraine, all our producers, Lorraine, Brian, everybody at iHeart you know. This has been such a journey and we are getting there. We have the finals next as the finals, we are crowning a winner. I can't believe we're there. I miss you, Christy. I can't wait to see you next time. Travel safe. We love you and we can't wait to have you back. Thank you again to the unbelievable Andrea Romano. We could do an entire podcast about why she is just a living legend and.
Speaker 2: It still wouldn't do her justice.
Speaker 1: She is that amazing and I love her every day. So thank you for coming and joining us today. Andrea, and thank you all for joining us. Thank everybody else, CESD Prime Video, iHeart everybody. Go check out season two of vox Makina for download now, and thank you all for joining us on our journey. And remember, if you think you have what it takes to step up to the microphone, put your voices where your mouth is.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time. Everybody, Bye bye. I Hear Voices is hosted by will Fredell and Christy Carlson Romano. Executive produced by will Fredell, Brendan Rooney, Amy Sugarman. Our executive in charge of production is Danielle Romo, our producer is Lorraine Viuez, and our editor slash engineer is Brian Burton. And that was my announcer voice.
Speaker 10: Some side effects of listening to I Hear Voices are sore abs from hilarity, falling down the coco melon rabbit hole, sneezing due to mass nostalgia, and hugs.
Speaker 2: Follow I Hear Voices wherever you listen to podcasts so you don't miss any of the amazing voices.
Speaker 10: Be sure to follow us on Instagram and TikTok at I Hear Voices podcast.
Speaker 2: You can also check us out on MySpace, omegle Vine, LimeWire. Hey I'm a napster.
Speaker 10: Okay, well let's teach you about the Internet.
Speaker 5: Who Hey, there, I Hear Voices listeners. This is Mia, the winner of the Suprassom contest to become the next big voice actor. I am so glad I found this podcast, and I'm glad you found it too.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 5: Then, Christy, also known as Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable, interview the best known voices in Hollywood, from your favorite cartoon characters to video game voices. You never know who they'll talk to next. Make sure to follow, like, and download the I Hear Voices podcast on iHeart Apple and anywhere you get your podcasts. And remember, if you think you have what it takes, put your voices where your mouth is.