Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Hell that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edo state is that? Woo woof?
Speaker 2: And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal Boys and girls, My name is ty Hildebrand. Dan Rubenstein will be by momentarily because this This is an excerpt from our live show that we do every Thursday night called College Football Thursdays Live over on Spotify five pm Eastern, two pm Pacific. You can join in, you can hop in the chat room, you can hop up on stage with us, give us your picks, your hot takes, and whatnot. If you weren't able to make it this week, hopefully you can stop by next week because we do it every Thursday, five PM's two pm West. What you're going to hear now is a little thing we call the Ryan Gosling Jack Tracker. Dan came up with it. It's a spin off of the Jared Vennett sound from The Big Short. We have taken this to an uncomfortable degree, but yet we are very very excited about it. Give it a listen. As per usual, give us a holler over adverballers dot Com or anywhere across social media. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the show and your college football weekend. I'm over here, dancing baby. I'm ready for Week five. I am ready for Week five. Remind folks how the jacktracker works. I know there was some confusion. I saw it in the chat, people saying jacktracker, But yes, the Jacked tracker, Yes, past tense, Jacked does. What is this metric, this very official metric that we have invented for this very ridiculous purpose.
Speaker 1: I think it's more of an adjective. You are Jack. So it is an easy premise that we are going to react to each window and we are going to buy a scale of It's Jared Bevennett technically the Ryan Gosling character from The Big Short. If it is a window.
Speaker 2: That one is paying attention.
Speaker 1: Right that there's no reason to pay close attention to. If it's the morning window there or not morning, but if it's the midday window, the afternoon window, or the evening window. If it's if there's opportunity for excitement, and that is an opportunity, and then if you're fully convinced that it's wall to wall action object to and so that is our scale and there is little room for gray. We are dealing with absolutes and extremes on the Ryan Gosling Jack Tracker.
Speaker 2: It's very syth like of you, Dan. We only deal in absolutes here, absolutes when we're talking about the Ryan Goslingjacktracker for week five. Okay, here is a quick look at the blocks of games for the weekend. We are going to rake that accordingly. We'll start in Friday. We're doing the show on Thursday. There's a big and on Friday. Actually, you really like the Friday slate, if memory serves, when we did our preview show that you can find out on soliburbo dot com or wherever you get your podcasts. We published that early on Thursday morning, ten thirty Eastern ESPN. It is Washington traveling down to Ucla. Washington favored by about three points. You actually like Ucla here, you're give me like a one to three jacktrack on how you feel about this particular matchup, not necessarily the full window of games in Friday night.
Speaker 1: I'm not in love with UCLA football. In twenty twenty two, I'm not, but the heights of UCLA football and the backfield at its best of UCLA football with dtr next to Zach Sharboney at home late night. And I think Washington fans are going to travel for this one because you get to go southern California, you get to go to the Rose Bowl, and the Lord knows, it's been a minute since Washington has gone to the other version.
Speaker 2: Will anybody else be at the Rose Bowl though, that's the question. Will there be twenty eight odd maybe more?
Speaker 1: If you're playing in an unusually quiet stadium, that's a different experience because honestly, this is Washington's first road trip, is it not of the season?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: So they start with what Kent State, Portland State, Michigan State, and Stanford all in Seattle, so it's their first foray onto the road. And maybe it's odd. Maybe it's just odd because the home stadium, you know what, rocking on the Lake.
Speaker 2: I love this zag. This is potentially a zag that UCLA could steer into because you remember during COVID when there was no one in the stands. Some of the players were like, yeah, that's weird. Yeah, we're just on I'm not used to that off. Yeah, maybe they steer into that, Dan, maybe that's their competitive advantage. Maybe Chipper Chip Kelly, your boy Charles him Kelly, maybe he's figured something out.
Speaker 1: Not to be so hyper local and specific with the comparison, but there is difficulty in facing Jamie Moyer types, as seattleites know. Yeah, and maybe the Rose Bowl, which is eighth full for this matchup. I don't know how full it's going to be, but it's a big stadium for a team that does not command big crowds. So yeah, maybe there's something there that UCLA, even though again down season, it's more of the situation specifics about the Bruins. I understand you're concern, but they haven't lost and has been all closing.
Speaker 2: No, no, they're two undefeated teams to four and oo teams. Alexander in the chat, thank you for chiming in. ALEXANDERA says he hopes UCLA people show up. Should be a fun game. I agree, Cold in the chat says four sideline tickets available for ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always available. The other thing is just in terms of your belief system with lines is Washington has very clearly taken care of business more impressively than UCLA has against subpar competition. Yeah, like the struggles early against Bowling Green, obviously winning last second against South Alabama, all due respect to the Jags, Washington has blown out everybody comfortably. One and then the line is only two and a half two and a half three point.
Speaker 2: Depends where you look. Yeah, yeah, it's it's round around and field goal. So okay, you're into this game. Shall we move to the early block on Saturday? Shall we just do this? I'm so ready? Shall we get this? I want you to play our sound denoting optimum possible jackedness for this window. Please at this, at this moment, can you do that for me? O? Thank you, Dan. Yes, twelve o'clock on Fox. We've got Michigan, We've got Iowa. Michigan's on the road. They're favored by eleven. We will come back to that game momentarily. I promised you. Nice high noon, ABC Oklahoma minus six and a half on the road at TCU. Interesting matchup, getting spicy, Yeah, spicy. Twelve o'clock ESPN Kentucky four and Oh Oh Miss four and O favored by a touchdown at home, favored by seven and then just throw this in as like a nice little appetizer, a nice little adder, Big twelve Network or ESPN plus whatever. That is Texas Tech fresh off their big upset victory over Texas now on the road against Kansas State, fresh off their upset victory over the aforementioned Oklahoma Sooner as Yansas Kansas State favored by eight point stand this is a loaded slate here, a loaded slate.
Speaker 1: Really good.
Speaker 2: I am super jacked for this slate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one. It's nice because there's nothing unless you're not a Purdue believer or an Illinois believer, I suppose, But there's nothing but what appears to be competitive teams on the list that you just rattled off, right, Oh yeah, that everybody. Even if we have questions about TCU's defense or Ole Misses passing game, or everything that Iowa attempts to do on offense, or Adrian Martinez's consistency, or Illinois and the schedule that they've played, there is a pretty high competence floor overall with these teams, mostly because Iowa can score touchdowns plural on defense. If that weren't the case, that'd be a problem. But there's the competitive nature of this early window is sort of such that you got to get on the couch early.
Speaker 2: You just have to. Oh, Josh says here in the chat, it's a fun window. It is a fun window. It's fun as hell. Josh, I'm super excited to watch this slate of games. I will not give away the tease. I know some people who are listening, who are in the chat right now, they know where we stand on the Michigan Iowa game. If you've looked at any of our social media accounts in the last couple hours, it's pretty well documented where we stand on the Michigan how we disagree on the Michigan Iowa game. So we'll come back to that when we play Tie versus the World. But let's just say that it's a very interesting contest, if only because of the contrasting styles here. Those contrasting styles be being Iowa on defense versus offense. Right defense first in scoring defense one hundred and thirty, first in scoring offense. You can go pretty much down the list. Defense versus offense on the Iowa side is just comically unbalanced Michigan. This is an interesting contest for Michigan, if only because there's plenty of data to show that Iowa at home in these big matchups like this, they hold their own. Michigan of course, JJ McCarthy first road start as starting quarterback for the Michigan Wolverine. So there's some things to be concerned about on the Michigan side, and we can talk about those a little bit later as we get into the picks, because I feel very strongly about my side of this thing.
Speaker 1: But which is your volume game?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Which game? I don't know, if you're you know, multiple TVs or you're gonna watch on a laptop or an iPad or something like that, which one deserves the play by play track?
Speaker 2: I think it's Michigan Iowa. It's got to be Michigan Iowa. Yeah, God, no, I know, I know. But here's the thing. I have staked my professional reputation so much to the outcome of this game, m that I feel like when we do our recap show on Sunday, if I am not fully versed in all things that were either part of the game or part of the commentary, I'm assuming this is a GUS game. Gush Johnson, it's big noon Saturday. Yeah, I mean, if I'm not well versed enough to know every nooking cranny of this game. I'm not doing my job here.
Speaker 1: I am going with either TC Oklahoma or Ole Miss Kentucky getting volume. Anyway. I'll have the Michigan Iowa game. That's gonna be my number two game. But I can't have Iowa offensive descriptors in my ear for an extended period of time. I just can't. If it gets close and it's weird and ioways moving the ball. Yes, this game will get volume, but those are the two that i'm Those are a it's a toss up for me, all right. So we're both pretty jacked about that slate of games. Yes, yes, absolutely the early slate. Let's go to the afternoon slate. Here are five games. I don't know if it's quite as intriguing as the early slate, but you guys tell me in the chat.
Speaker 2: Let me know. Three thirty CBS, we got Alabama on the road, seventeen point favorite at ARK and so it's a big friggin' number. Holy cow. Also at three thirty on Fox, Oahoma State against Baylor, a bit of a revenge spot for Oklahoma State after that big twelve championship bloss a year ago. Baylor favored by two two and a half three points. Again depends when and where you look. Also three point thirty ABC, We've got wake Forest on the road at Florida State. Florida State favored in that one by about seven points. Also Iowa State versus Kansas, Iowa State on the road three point favorite, only a three point favorite against the four and oh Jayhawks. And then last but certainly not least a little bit later on at four o'clock SEC Network, it is Texas A and M at Mississippi State. Mississippi State favored by about three and a half points. There, Dan, how does this window for you stack up against the early slate?
Speaker 1: I think I'm man if Michigan State were better because the Michigan State Maryland game could have been fun. I think I'm right here is an opportunity.
Speaker 2: We're right in the.
Speaker 1: Middle, and I'll tell you why. Yeah, Alabama, Arkansas could get out of control, Maryland Michigan State does not intrigue me that much.
Speaker 2: I didn't even list that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you didn't.
Speaker 2: That's a good one to list.
Speaker 1: A and M Mississippi State could go could get out of control, probably in the Mississippi State running away with it direction. But I think Texas and m can certainly hang around or win this game close. I just don't see a high flying Aggie offense all of a sudden in Starkville in a sandwich spot. I could see Iowa State blowing the doors off of Kansas. That they are an LRO candidate luck running out that Kansas. And it's not luck, obviously, there's a tremendous amount offensive skill, but the fact that they're four and oh the fact that they're winning games despite a defense that has allowed a lot there is a bit of luck involved at that and so wake Florida State probably not a blowout, but I could see a couple of games getting a little bit ugly. We don't know what the weather's going to be like in a lot of these places. If it's mucked up a little bit, again, hope everybody is terrifically safe during anything effect by Hurricane Ian. You know, Baylor, Oklahoma State could be pickleball. It could be ugly. So that's why I'm not fully sold on electricity in this window, but still can't wait.
Speaker 2: By the way, we've got an interesting line here from Alex in the chat. Also throwing out that Northwestern against Penn State. You're Northwestern Wildcats being so you're in the greater Chicagoland area, Northwestern traveling to state college are one in three after that week one win, week zero win, excuse me over Nebraska in Ireland, Penn State favored by twenty five, Alex saying that this is a game that's going to be close for no reason. And you know what, Alex, I almost couldn't agree more. This game is just weird. Every year it's weird, Penn State, alum, It's a weird game for them every freaking time it happens.
Speaker 1: I believe the Wildcats of Northwestern undefeated away from Evanston this season, undefeated away from the United States this season, well yeah, but undefeated definitely away from Evanston. As you know, they beating Nebraska in Dublin by lose all three Duke Southern Illinois and Miami the friendly confines of the North Shore. So maybe there's something about Northwestern getting away that I can't really sell it. I'm sorry, Penn State's gonna win comfortable.
Speaker 2: Just wait till they build the new stadium, Wait till they get the new Ryan Field up and running. That's how you know. Yeah, that's when it will start.
Speaker 1: That's what it must be.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're a solid two out of three here in the afternoon block. Yes, yes, all right, let's go to the Late Lake Block Saturday, late seven pm ESPN. LSU, Oh boy, this game. We need to talk through this game.
Speaker 1: Don't we a wager game?
Speaker 2: It is a wager game, Okay. LSU at three and one is minus eight. Now. I saw it at minus nine. We did our preview show. It was minus nine. That's what I'm sticking to. I need that extra point. It is LSU minus eight, but minus nine for our purposes here versus Auburn on the road playing this game in the planes. Auburn also three and one, ever the conflict dover Brian Harston still being coached, but winning record, big game, LSU coming to town. Dan, we have a wager on this game. You were very adamant about LSU minus eight and r minus nine. Excuse me, gosh, surely I jest LSU minus nine on the road, and I was pretty gung ho on Auburn plus nine, if only because it feels like a lot of points for me. The LS was still in transition they've progressively gotten better, but nine points feels like a lot to me, especially at night in that environment. We have a wager. You actually came up with this via a suggestion we got from one of our patreon for ball ers, Chaka. What do we decide on earlier today?
Speaker 1: Well, I think Chaka suggested or helped to suggest some sort of tiger costume because we have the LSU tigers and Auburn tigers. What we're gonna do is a little bit more detail orient the loser of this bets. So I'm given the points. You are taking the points the loser of the bet before is it our bruin a show in a couple weeks? When is this happening? Is in a couple of weeks? Whatever?
Speaker 2: The Thursday is before Halloween? Oh, the Thursday before Halloween. Yeah, the loser of this bet. So if LSU covers this spread, you will have to and if Auburn covers the spread, I will have to get our face painted in detail by a kids party face painter as a tiger. Yeah, like they have it as a zoo right.
Speaker 1: Spots, whiskers pronounced eyebrows, that kind of thing. And we're going to have to record that Q and a episode with full tiger face paint that's going to be available at verballers dot com. Available now, but yeah, that show will be available. Then somebody will have a painted face on the Thursday night before Halloween.
Speaker 2: And the good part about that is that lives on the internet forever forever. Can never can never wash that off. Even if you wash it off, it never, you can never really wash that off.
Speaker 1: And the comments can't wait for tie Ger.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sorry, I feel I just that's too many points all right? Elsewhere ESPNU seven pm, Cincinnati minus nine and a half at Tulsa. I think you were wise to bring this matchup front and center. Excuse me when we did our preview show, because even though Cincinnati's better, Tulsa just beats good teams. It's like what they do, or at least they scare teams that are better than them are supposed to be better than them. And you could see that happening here. It wouldn't be even though Ben Bryant looked really good at quarterback for Cincy. You can see Tulsa again fund in a way to keep this thing close.
Speaker 1: Let the record show Dan is not making a quip about a team named the Golden Hurricane this week now, although he just sort of did in the third person, and I don't know if that counts, but yes, this is who Tulsa is year in and year out. Obviously, things change year to year, and the start has been pretty slow thus far for Tulsa just by their own standards. And I know they lost their I think they lost their defensive coordinator to tease you, if memory serves, but there is something in the Golden Hurricane. DNA defense has been pretty bad this year, by the way, Yeah for Tulsa, especially against the pass. So maybe if you like Cincinnati, Ben Bryant's gonna throw for a bajillion yards here, and so yeah, Tulsa hasn't been getting after the quarterback all that well, hasn't played I mean, they've played ole Miss, but otherwise it's Northern Illinois, Jacksonville State, Wyoming, so opportunities to perform losing two. I mean, Wyoming has improved since they got blown out by Illinois, but not ideal. Not ideal thus far, still hung with ole Miss. There's this opportunity, we'll see, but the defense is generally what has kept them in these games against big teams and has not been present in the way it normally is.
Speaker 2: We'll see what they can do against the real big Ben Ben Bryant seven point thirty ABC is the big inning this window. It's NC State, It's Clemson. Clemson favored by six and a half at home. We come back to this game, talk a little bit more about it. But I've also got West Virginia at Texas. We've also got Stanford against your Oregon Ducks. Oregon favored at a favor boy eleven points. They're also playing or excuse me, favored by seventeen points. They're playing this game at eleven PM. I'm assuming you'll be asleep. You're gonna be watching this whole YouTube on Sunday morning. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The difficult thing with this is, yeah, I'll have it on the YouTube, TV cloud DVR. Not a sponsor could be is The tough thing is like I will wake up at three twenty seven am to go pee, and it's knowing.
Speaker 2: Oh, the game's probably over.
Speaker 1: I could look up the score, yeah, and not looking at my phone. That's the tough thing.
Speaker 2: That takes a lot of willpower though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I want I want the drama of seeing how everything unfolds the next morning at you know, five fourteen am, you know, an hour and a half later. So that's the toughie. But yeah, I'm not staying up for this, no way.
Speaker 2: See, I pull the move where I fall asleep on the couch while I'm watching whatever late game is on the TV. And then I wake up at like two thirty in the morning, and I got to walk upstairs to bed because I don't want to have a crook in my back by the time we record bright and early on Sunday morning. And then in that like short trip or crick, I don't know, crick, it's probably whatever it is. The short joint up the stairs is when I check my phone and I see the score, and then at that point as something goes sideways and I'm awake that I'm awake for at least an hour and a half trying to figure out what the hell happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the tough one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do we feel about this window generally? Because I'll be honest, when I went through and I looked at it, it's a great slate of games, the full way through. When I looked at this slate of games, if there were going to be a one, it would be this one for me.
Speaker 1: It's not for me.
Speaker 2: It's a solid two. It's a solid two.
Speaker 1: Is an opportunity.
Speaker 2: I feel there's opportunity here. You still got good teams on the road. So I got good teams on the road and interesting teams on the road, even if they're not good. Like West Virginia at Texas. We don't really know what Texas is, do we? But that game seems very watchable most if not every year. I know That's what I'm saying. Like West Virginia, as we discussed earlier, might be the worst team in the Big twelve, at least that time of.
Speaker 1: Recording, I don't know, Yeah, who's worse. I just haven't seen TCU against a Power five team of note, so all due respect to Colorado at some points they are interesting, but we don't have really any meaningful high level data. Like I think SMU is interesting and will eventually be pretty dangerous under RHT lashly, but you know, you win a rivalry game, big emotion behind it with Sunny Dyke's moving, But I think it's probably if you're going to bet your own money, like we talked about on our Q and A show, TCU's probably the best bet for coming up, you know, pretty behind in the Big twelve. But it's a pretty like high flooried conference at the moment.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're we're in agreement on a two. Yes, all right. Here is the final tally here with the Gosslin Jack Tracker, very official. Saturday early three out of three, Saturday afternoon two out of two, Saturday late two out of two. And where were you at on Friday?
Speaker 1: I think it's a solid two too. Is an opportunity. So Friday gives us beyond Washington UCLA, that's Tulane Houston, that's the road runners of UTSA and Middle Tennessee in a letdown spot for the big win against Miami. And I have no idea what to make of San Diego State Boise State. Somebody has to win this game. Somebody has to move the ball on offense at times.
Speaker 2: Over under, by the way, thirty nine points. I believe San Diego State Boise is yeah, oh two, ioways out.
Speaker 1: There, but also kind of makes sense. Yeah, so no, I think Friday is like a secretly pretty fun night of football ahead of us.
Speaker 2: All right, that does it for our excerpt today again, don't forget to tune into College Football Thursdays Live every Thursday night, five pm East, two pm West Over on Spotify. Enjoy your weekend of college football. Stay safe, stay happy, and, as per usual, stay solid.