Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Monday, February second, and we have a breaking update in the search for Today's Show host Savannah Guthrie's mom, who has gone missing in Arizona. Police now say this was a crime. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Robe. We were just listening to the update out there. This story has changed even in the past hour. But Savannah Guthrie, host of the Today Show, her mom went missing over the weekend. In robes not giving us a lot, but they are saying this was a crime as she did not leave on our own.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is a chilling update. We learned Nancy Guthrie. She's eighty four years old, and police made it very clear that she doesn't have any mental issues. She is sharp as attack I believe, is what they said. So this isn't an issue of an eighty four year old old elderly woman wandering off. No, she has physical challenges though they said she couldn't walk fifty yards on her own. And more importantly, they say there is medication that she needs that if she doesn't get in the next twenty four hours, it could be fatal. So they are up against the clock. That is disturbing, but the language they used to describe why they have shifted their focus now from searching for Nancy Guthrie to now investigating a crime. That is a very dramatic and traumatic shift.
Speaker 1: So we woke up this morning really to this news. They say she was last seen on Saturday at nine forty five there in Tucson, Arizona, where some family members were at the house. So that's why they know she was at home. They leave next day they family members started getting calls from people at they say church that Savannah Guthrie's mom hadn't showed up as expected. So then they go to the house, start looking for it, then report her missing around noontime on Sunday. Now that's the information we had. They said it was a vulnerable adult that they were looking for. They had search and rescue teams out. That is the news we had this morning. It has now changed in the past hour. Robes we should go through now what the sheriff out there has said and again and he is so concerned, I would use the word beg. He is begging the public for help.
Speaker 2: They are begging the public for help because they say technology is going to help them solve this crime. They say, we need to depend on technology. We need cameras, we need anyone who had a sighting of Nancy Guthrie or anything unusual in that neighborhood. They are asking for the public's help. And yes, babe, it sounded like they were begging for the public's help.
Speaker 1: This was.
Speaker 2: A quote that the sheriff gave that just sent chills up and down my spine. He said, we do, in fact have a crime scene. We do in fact have a crime And he said, we don't see this as a search mission as much as we do a crime scene. And obviously the questions are, how what did you find in Nancy Guthrie's home? What is making this so obvious to the point where you can say the public is not at risk?
Speaker 1: He I mean he kind of headed a little bit on that with Denney. He was asked that question directly, and I mean he almost stuttered and he's, you know, I don't know. They just don't have a lot of answers, it seems right now. The answer they have is that this is a crime, and this is a crime scene that they are processing. And he said, they know she did not leave on her own. What that means did she leave willingly? I say, meaning did she walk out of there? Did she walk out?
Speaker 2: They said no, because they said she could not walk fifty yards on her own, that she physically just is not able to wander off or to go anywhere, and again making it very clear that it would not dementia related in any way. And then there are a lot of questions about why this happened, how this could have happened. This is such a bizarre, strange story. An eighty four year old woman who was with family until almost ten pm on Saturday night. Something happens after ten pm before she's supposed to go to church in the morning on Sunday. What could that have possibly been?
Speaker 1: We talked about. He was not giving a lot of details. He's being very careful right now because it's early in investigation rooms. But it was telling some things, he said. It was telling to hear him say that the search and rescue has been called off, like all the planes, the helicopter, the drones, all those volunteers for whatever reason, robes. They don't think it's necessary. They don't think it's going to produce any results if they keep searching areas. What that means She's not just roaming around out there, they believe. Now at least it sounds like there was something specific and she was an somewhere.
Speaker 2: Because to that point this was also Look, these are all the things you don't want to hear. If someone you love is missing her cell phone, they have it. She does not have her cell phone with her, she does not have her possessions with her, that is fighting. There's no way to know where she is, how to contact her. I just, you know, all of us put ourselves in that shoe as the daughter or a family member of your eighty four year old mother. And we know Savannah really well, worked with her for many, many years, and I just I cannot even imagine the agony that she and her family must be feeling right now, because it's hard enough dealing with a tragedy, but not knowing where your mom is, not knowing who is with her, not knowing if she's suffering, not knowing how she's going to be. I mean, the clock is ticking twenty four hours until they said, I mean, he used the words if she does not get the medication that she needs, it could be fatal. So they are up against the c and you know, he said this, we don't. I'm curious what your take is on this, babe. The sheriff said, we don't need another bad, tragic ending. We need some help. So if they don't think she wandered off, if they don't believe that she is someone who they could be searching for, and something that they found at her home is cementing this fact that they've made very clear that a crime occurred. I'm trying to create scenarios in my head and I can't come up with one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's this is what happens.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They have to do what they have to do and not give as much information to preserve the integrity of the investigation as this has now become a national story, and so we're all chomping at the bit for information and this is just it's going to drive ourselves crazy. But to hear, I guess the most important thing Robes is if he feels there is a chance to recover her safely. That's how he's talking now. So whatever is going on, he is at least telling the public that we believe she's out there and we need to get to her soon because of this medicine. That means there's a chance, or at least they think she could. They have time. It's ticking, but they have time to recover her and have a good outcome. That's the best I can take out of what he said. But everything the update. We were debating when to do this episode and waiting for updates, and then we were sitting here and saying, oh my goodness, this story has just completely changed.
Speaker 2: It's changed because at first they weren't necessarily saying that it was a crime scene. They said they were concerned based on what they found in the home. But now they have taken it to a whole new level calling it an active crime scene. And they also said this and this will be interesting. They do have a lot to go through. They are reviewing video from Nancy Guthrie's home. There were cameras inside the home. She lives by herself, we know that much. She does have some folks who work for her and help her throughout her day. So they are doing I'm sure all of those interviews, but those cameras looking to see what that video shows, I would think would be their most valuable bit of information at this point, but also looking for other people's videos. Maybe people have those ring cameras, the door cameras, the surveillance people these days pretty much, Yeah, someone on your street or multiple people on your street have security cameras.
Speaker 1: You know, he railed against And I wrote this down because it jumped out when he was talking about technology, how much they needed out as much as going to help he specifically it might have been the first thing he said, license plate readers. Now he's specifically the first thing that he's talking about. Yeah, he almost went on. It wasn't necessarily political, but he took a moment to say, yeah, politicians out here, every time you talk about this technology and say it's going to be used wrong, it's going to violate your paid No, in the hands of the right people, these are wonderful tools. We have license plate readers. That jumped out at me. What is he does he know he's looking for a.
Speaker 2: Car already probably And look, this reminds me a little bit of what happened in Ohio where we had I hate to keep calling him the dentist and his wife, but the Tepie murders. We kind of had a similar situation where it was this bizarre you found these this couple murdered, their children are alive, there's no forced entry, and they seemingly were beloved in the community. What could have happened? It was technology that broke that case. They found the license plate of the ex husband and this is how it led to an arrest, and they were able to track him and his movements based on surveillance cameras and license plate readers, those things that are now everywhere and we see it more and more and more now being used effectively to solve crimes and mysteries like this man.
Speaker 1: But he says he definitely Robes is going to need it on this one. I think it We didn't know what was going on. But the other thing they said this before we got this update, homicide detectives had been called to the scene. Now that's it's just not normal procedure if you don't think there's a crime. So when we first heard that, that was the first thing that perkure ears up a little bit this morning and just hoping she had wandered off. But they have been from the jump saying nope, her mind is sharp. This ain't that.
Speaker 2: Yes, they found something, and they he even said, like I understand you guys want details. That makes so much sense. We just can't give them to you. But it is interesting if you think about we cover this kind of thing all the time with a missing person. Usually you have to wait twenty four hours and there are procedures before they'll actually even investigate something like this. There was clearly something at the home that put all of that to bed. They immediately began investigating this in a very specific way.
Speaker 1: And we did hear from the Guthrie family, in particular Savannah Guthrie this morning, who was, of course, as you'd imagine, she was not on set. In fact, the sheriff did say she has made it to Arizona and she is out there with her family as they try to find her mother. But we will let you know the words that Savannah Guthrie and her family hat this morning. Stay hear all right, We continue here on Amy and TJ. Ropes with the breaking news. We were in the middle of in the middle of another meeting, and we're distracted because we saw the updates coming on the screen that's in front of us, saying that in fact, Savannah Guthrie's mother, the disappearance is now being treated as a crime. They say they do have a crime scene at her home. And this woman eighty four years old, described as eighty four five five, one hundred and fifty pounds, blue eyes, and brown hair. They had flyers out looking for but now this is a crime scene. Search and rescue has been called off. They said, they sent those folks home. They'll continue to canvas maybe for information in the neighborhoods, but just going and walking fields and neighbor that's not happening anymore because they think this was a specific crime. We did hear from the family, I guess first in this tifically from Savannah, And I mean, how much can they say here Rode right now, all the emphasis is on trying to find this woman.
Speaker 2: Yes, and of note, and this would be an obvious question because we heard some of the q and a that followed the press conference, and one of the first questions from a reporter was are there any threats against Savannah Guthrie? Do you know if potentially this crime that occurred against her mother and Nancy Guthrie had anything to do with Savannah being who she is in the public eye, a very prominent journalist and national figure. And they said, we do not know, we're not aware of any threats, but that Savannah is there in town and is obviously cooperating with police. They say, the FBI is aware of the case. US Customs and Border Protection also assisting in this case, so they have all hands on deck trying to investigate every detail of this crime.
Speaker 1: And again we had two statements, I guess we got one from the family and then one specifically from Sava. I think there was a separated here, but hearing from the family said actually this was from NBC News. They put this one out earlier, saying we can confirm this is a missing person's case and the family is working closely with law enforcement. Then they gave the number for people to call and said the family is grateful for outreach, thoughts and prayers. Again that came through NBC News earlier today.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there have been a couple statements. As you point out, they said, right now, our focus remains on the safe return of our dear mom. We thank law enforcement for their hard work on this case. And again every statement that goes out encouraging anyone with information to contact the Pima County Sheriff's Department. I mean, we always hear a call for help, a call for action, and those tips are always. Oftentimes what breaks a case like this open someone knows something, someone saw something, someone might not even realize they captured something on their home surveillance video. And so when people start to look and they find things, this is what we have seen time and time again crack these types of cases.
Speaker 1: I tholl that was interesting, he said earlier he said if you see something, just take a picture. He actually said that take a picture. If you think you might see her, let's just see. I mean, they seem to some degree, they seem like they don't have much of anything other than that crime scene, and they are I just you can tell.
Speaker 2: Rose.
Speaker 1: We watch enough of these press conferences. He was pleading with the government, with the public. Please please please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your heart just goes out to the Guthrie family to just again to not know and to hope that someone has information that will give them the information that they need to find Nancy Guthrie. But of course, we will stay on top of this story, bring you any new developments that may occur. But certainly, as always, we appreciate you listening to us. I made roboch alongside my partner DJ Holmes. We will talk to you very soon