Speaker 1: This is he said a yadiho with Eric Winter and Rosalind Fantas.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello, another episode that he said a yad ho.
Speaker 4: What do you say?
Speaker 3: He said room.
Speaker 4: Run in Spanish.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, yeah, yeah, I know, I thought, I hear at the end, I'm learning Spanish and you're going to learn some rum talk today. Listen. I'm very excited. We're going to be in Miami in a couple of weeks at this giant rum Congress. And uh, one of my now friends and now colleagues in the business, Trader j is what he called he goes by but Jay is the founder of the Florida Rum Society. Their motto is rum friends are best friends, and we are fully on board with that. Jay is all things rum and uh, you know, like he has a profession as well on the side, but he is passionate. He's done so much to elevate the space. We have his wife, Nina on joining as well, so we can really dive into what it's like being married to rum obsessed men. I'm sure you have somebody to at least have a sounding board with, because I know it drives you crazy my obsession with rum. Don't you're very, very supportive. It doesn't drive you crazy.
Speaker 4: Doing this because I encourage you.
Speaker 3: True, that's true. It was your idea. It was your idea. So let's bring him in. I'm excited to chat with Jay.
Speaker 2: Hello, nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 4: Nice meeting you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for coming on the podcast. This is great. We're going to meet you all in person in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Now I will be there. I have done all of them, so yes, it's a good time.
Speaker 3: Really Okay, I'm gonna jump right in really quick, Jay, before we talk about your passion for rum. But Nina, have you been always passionate about rum as well? Or you've been sucked into the vortex by Jay and now it's you know, part of your marriage.
Speaker 2: It's yes, it's now part of our marriage.
Speaker 5: I am a very when in Rome type of girl, so I enjoy all cocktails, champagne, wine.
Speaker 2: You know, all of it.
Speaker 6: So I have always had a very diverse talent, and Jay has definitely brought more rum into our lives than we had and I had before.
Speaker 5: But it's been fun, it's been great. We've met a lot of wonderful people. We've had a lot of great trips that have come out of this wonderful RUMs that we get to share with people and have here at home. So it's been good, But yeah, it was It was not my first spirit.
Speaker 2: And now you know pretty much is.
Speaker 3: Rum friends are the best friends. That's the Florida Society motto. Well done, Jay, And I've been filling my wife in you know, a bit as well, and she'll she'll jump in. But Jay, now I know you have a day job. We've talked about this, right, you work in marketing, remember, correct? What what caused you to take on a very big side job. By the way, the Florid Rum Society is not a small task. I mean it's the biggest rum society I believe in the country. What what motivated you to go that route on the side, because it's not just a little thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, it's for sure one of those things that sort of was by accident and then sort of snowballed. I like you know, said, always had a rum. Was always my first go to and even back in college when it was Captain and Cooke.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: Obviously my palette has changed immensely since then, but it was always like the default and the I'll try to make the story not recredibly long. But the story is when we that Nino always said when when we bought our next house, if I bought enough rooms, then I could have one.
Speaker 1: And I guess I got enough.
Speaker 7: Rooms because as as you guys can see that that that have the camera on, I'm in what is now our tiki bar, our rum bar. And so I went down that sort of that that tiki bar path of all right, I want to build a tiki bar in our house, and how do I go about doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, there was a there's a book.
Speaker 7: It's uh, it's by Martin Kate, Martin and Rebecca Kate called Smuggler's Cove, which is also their bar in San Francisco, and it really outlines like how to build your own tiki bar. So great, but also there's ninety nine cocktail recipes in there, obviously very most of them very rum focused. And as I started to try to replicate these cocktails in the book, I found that I was lacking on the RUMs I needed for these cocktails, even being here in Florida. And so I started down this path of well, I need to find these RUMs. Where can I find them?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: It turns out.
Speaker 7: I went to a when Nina and I went with another couple to Chicago, went to a fabulous tiki bar there called Three Dots and a Dash, had a fantastic experience, got to like learn more about RUMs, learn more about the cocktails, and visited some stores there. Picked up my first worthy park, my first hand in, my first of a lot of these bottles that I've been looking for, and it was driving me a little crazy that we could find them in Chicago but not in Florida. And so myself and a few buddies were drinking these RUMs back in Florida. And of course all ideas are great ideas after you've sipped seventy eight RUMs.
Speaker 3: And were society.
Speaker 1: We are the Florida Rus. We are the Florida Rum Society.
Speaker 7: The three of us and uh and so for the first few months, right it we it was just three of us. But and this was late twenty nineteen and something interesting happened. So a few brands right back to the marketing. I work in marketing, So I started a social media account, right and few brands that have been supporting us now for over five years noticed what I was trying to do and was like, hey, I will host a tasting for your society.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 7: So if you think about what you were doing in February of twenty twenty, right, yeah, right, we were like, we were weeks away and we had our first Fluorida Rum Society tasting. There were about forty of us and really just through friends of mine or through social.
Speaker 1: Media, they got word of it.
Speaker 7: We got together, we had a great time, and we were like, we're going to do this every month for the rest of time. And a month later we were all stuck at home, not able to get together for a taste. But yeah, but an interesting thing happened. Everyone had time on their hands. Yeah, these virtual meetings like we're doing right now started popping up, and rum brands had marketing budgets that they didn't have a way to get in front of their consumers. So we hosted weekly virtual happy hours of the Florida Rum Society. Brands would send us samples, we'd try them, they'd walk us through it. We have a lot of it was a lot of rum education, which was great, Like that's what we want. And here we are, over five years later, we still do the virtual thing and how many members now twenty over twenty six hundred.
Speaker 3: Wow, from forty, well from three, from forty to twenty six hundred. And we can thank your wife for all of it because she gave you a man cave because you bought it. Also enough rooms and you built a rum man cave and then that started. So it all comes back to the wives, which is funny enough. I have a non drinking wife who does is never drank her a whole life. But she's the one that pushed me to go into rum, which is so you know, ironic, and it.
Speaker 4: Is weird now that I think about it. And why did I do that?
Speaker 3: She says, because NK, you should do something.
Speaker 8: Every supportive because but I grew up with my dad. I'm from Puerto Rico. So this is the memory that I have of my dad, which is at the terras listening to his trios.
Speaker 4: Trios is like three. What is a trio is a is a It's.
Speaker 8: Three men with guitars with guitars and they say in the music likes we call the trios, right, and they sing ballads and stuff, and he's he'll be listening to his music with his rum.
Speaker 4: And then I have three brothers.
Speaker 8: I'm the young the youngest one, and the only girl, and all my brothers are rum drinkers. So even though I never drank and my mom didn't touch alcohol either, it was very normal.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: And I have these like very vivid memories of my my brothers, all the men in my life, my dad and my three brothers, they just love rome. And then I met Eric and we're thinking about, you know what, just try to come up with something, and then I said it has to be rum.
Speaker 3: And even going back to like and Jay, you know the story, but you know, like, you know, I got into rum because when I met you know, her dad for the first time, he was like, all right, let's let's talk, let's get to know each other, and look, we're gonna have some rum. And I was like, oh god, I'm not a rum drinker. This is gonna go south really quick. I got to act like I like rum, and he just poured it on the rocks.
Speaker 4: Like which one was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. I did what, you know, I was like, I'll try it, and I ended up really liking it. And that's what sort of when you know, took me down the path of trying RUMs in different places as we travel, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you how many how many brands of rum do they exist?
Speaker 3: Jay?
Speaker 7: I mean right that is, rum is made on every continent except Antarctica.
Speaker 1: So and I bet.
Speaker 7: I'm hundreds hundreds of brands and and a lot that never make it to the United States.
Speaker 1: It's interesting right there. There are there are I.
Speaker 7: Think I think over a dozen distilleries in Australia and we only get one one really that that we see a lot, and that's through independent bottlers.
Speaker 1: So so there's rum and countries.
Speaker 3: That India Isn't India a massive room market?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, India Philippines is a huge rum market and we don't see a lot of.
Speaker 2: We been gifted from Nepal.
Speaker 5: Wow yeah, yeah crazy.
Speaker 3: What's been the favorite your your favorite place that you've ventured off to because of rum?
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm my my default love is Jamaican rum. So I've had the opportunity to both to go to Jamaica just the two of us and UH and visit some distilleries there. And then we actually took a group of fifty members of the Florida Rum Society to Jamaica as well and and toward distilleries there. So that's that that was an immense experience.
Speaker 1: So that's that's always what I go back to.
Speaker 8: Why do you think the Jamaican the Jamaican rum is is so exquisite? Is it something to do with their specific cane sugar, like the soil over there?
Speaker 4: Like what is what is the difference?
Speaker 3: Probably right, the kettle still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a lot a lot of it.
Speaker 7: A lot of it is related to the pot still and the way that that Jamaicans make make that been making rum since well forever, but at least seventeen sixteen hundreds. It's it's a post stile. And what they do each distillery is six distilleries in Jamaica, and each one does things a little bit different, and they use column stills too, at least the bigger ones that you know, like Appleton, they have column stills as well. But but they're using things like dunder pits and which is reusing some of the wash left over from the rum and letting it sit in the pit and just then take that and add it back to the rump. Is aness that's what's giving you that.
Speaker 1: It's the only way to define it, right, And I.
Speaker 3: Love that that's the term that's the rum term Jamaican r as a funk as a funkiness, a good funk. Yeah. I mean if you like Jamaican rumba, but.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, like it comes out fruity. Yeah, I mean it definitely, and it makes the difference. I think for Jamaican rum.
Speaker 7: It's like overripe banana and like pineapple skin are like a lot of the permanent flavor, and then the other flavors are in there that you usually get from rum, but that that sort of overtakes it.
Speaker 3: It's funny you say that, because even when it comes to like Palm Republic, that's one of the big features that people go, oh wow, the Jamaican aspect of what you put into this blend really separates it. And you know, it was it was a great decision. I'm glad we went we went down that path. But it's true, it's like that funking. Is that subtle difference of why Jamaican rum is so distinct really helps out, you know, the blend.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, and it can overpower for sure. Yeah, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 7: I think that Palm Republic did a great job of finding the balance to be approachable because it's not a beginning like Jamaican pots still on aged Jamaican potstil rum is not a beginner's realm by any stretch of the imagination. But but in small doses it adds. It packs a load of flavor, just a little bit.
Speaker 8: What happens if because you get sent so many different brands, you know, for you guys to talk about it on showcase? So what happens if you get something from whatever and you drink it and you're like.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, this is just absolutely awful.
Speaker 8: Like what do you tell those people that send it over and they're waiting for feedback?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think, Well, I think two things. One I always try, Like in the in the photo Rum Society, one of our goal is to be very trans like we want RUMs to be transparent, and so I think it's important that we're also transparent around what we enjoy or don't enjoy.
Speaker 1: Or provide that feedback. So I try best as I can to do that. However, what I will say is something that I that.
Speaker 7: I started, that we started sort of as a group, is people were sending me RUMs, and of course they want me to try and they want the society to try them, but it's it's hard to keep up quite frankly, right, And so we have a program called our First Taste program, which is specifically for like new RUMs or RUMs that are merging into the Florida market. And we get together right here, like like we're doing now, in a virtual setting, and everyone, at least a slice of people forty ish will have samples in front of them, and then we ask the brand to tell their brand story. Everyone tries it, provides feedback, and then we also do a like a survey and anonymous survey afterwards, so that they don't just have mine and Nina's opinions, right, they have opinions of forty of our members who are really engaged.
Speaker 3: Which I did with them. We did that. We did one of those virtual lives, oh you did. We sent samples to the members, We sat on there and we chatted about it.
Speaker 4: What was the feedback?
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, you.
Speaker 1: Tell you, Eric, I think it was very positive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't know what was said behind my back, but I mean on camera, No, it seemed like everybody was very very complimentary and loved the overproof of the aged and also loved the Jamaican funk. In the silver and what that did do it and everybody came up with great drink recipe ideas. Yeah, it was a very productive you know.
Speaker 4: What, this is really funny.
Speaker 8: This is off topic, but it's funny because you know beth Any Franco, right, so not she has her Vodkan and her brand humongous, but she was a chef, you know. Again, a lot of brands send her stuff for her to try, but she does the tasting of whatever. It could be a sauce, it could be a room, whatever, but she does it live. So the reaction is very true organic.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. And what is the name of Lisa Reno the.
Speaker 3: Husband something Mark, No, No, Hamilton, Hamlin, Hamline.
Speaker 8: Yes, so I'm almost positive. I'm almost positive that it was him. He has a brand of some kind of sauce like not chilula or a little bit like one.
Speaker 4: Not like something that got hot sauce.
Speaker 8: So she is it's her with her maid or her somebody that works for her, right, like a very normal like opinion of somebody that knows has no idea about flavor, totally neutral. And she puts to the lady puts two sauces, a generic one and his sauce.
Speaker 4: So she's trying the first one and the second one and.
Speaker 8: She's like, my god, like reacts heavily say there's no way. This is his brand and it was his and it was live. So then she felt horrible. So then she had to do another whole thing saying, listen, I so much apologize, you know, but you know, I'm very transparent, and I had no idea that that was going to be my reaction. I'm and I am I am, So if you guys are going to send me anything, just know that I'm going to react how I'm going to.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh my god, I feel so bad.
Speaker 3: That's the thing with the consumer goods, right, it is everybody's opinion. You never know, you can't win everybody over.
Speaker 5: Well, absolutely, and that's hard when it's a one on one person. But with the first taste, what's really great is that it's a larger group of people. And then they do this anonymous survey, you know, and it's different than the regular happy hours. Everybody goes into this knowing that they're trying it in order to give feedback to help these companies, you know, with the information that what do consumers want?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: So I think that it's a very transparent and very easy process to go through, and the companies are able to get that real time feedback from people and kind of have it written down for posterity and what can they do. Is there anything that they would like to change or not change to make it more approachable? So I think that it's a lot of gat information that comes from a wider swath of people, So it's not just one persons.
Speaker 8: You know, yeah, were always so subjective because maybe she didn't like it, But there's be maybe there's another palette that they actually respond really well to it.
Speaker 4: You know, so you absolutely.
Speaker 3: So as you built this Jay, well, Nina, I'm assuming you guys built this sort of together. When Jay said I want to start the society, you were like, are you crazy? Or were you going, Okay, let's see how we can do this.
Speaker 2: It's like, all right, let's see how it goes.
Speaker 5: I mean, everything seems great in a friends setting when you're sitting in your bar and you're enjoying your spoils that you brought home from your latest trip.
Speaker 2: So it seemed like a fun idea.
Speaker 5: I mean, little did we know that it would turn into another job. Absolutely, it is a second really full time job for him. But we've got great people that you know, help out and provide you know, support and things like that. But yeah, I don't know, we did not expect it. We're very happy with it. I think that it's a great group of people, like I've said before, and it's just growing, right. I mean, we just want to help people have the best cocktails, the best time, meet great people, learn right. I mean, there is a huge educational component to the Florida Rum Society, and I think the more you know, the more you can appreciate things.
Speaker 2: And so, you know, we'll see where it goes from here. But so far, so.
Speaker 7: Good, and I think I think it's important to call out that obviously, I like, I don't do this in a silo.
Speaker 1: You know, is a huge help.
Speaker 7: And I have a great group of Florida Rum Society Ambassadors. There's fifty of family that that also helps. So it's it's right. It really is a true society and the group that all that all work together to make it to make it a great community.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd say entrepreneurship, starting some and building something. If you're in the marriage, any relationship, you need that support of your partner, you know, I have it thankfully. It's funny like this was her idea coming to me, and I was like, I don't know if I can do this, and she's like, yeah, yeah, you can do it. And she's like pushing me, pushing me, giving me the confidence to do it and start seeking it out. And then once I'm in it, she's like, oh wow, there's a lot of work. This is much more. You had a handsful. You're going again, I get it. What do you have to do? She's like, oh my god. So you know, she didn't even anticipate. I didn't at the level that you know. Once it was just like a great idea, and then once you're in it, she's like, Okay, can you stop like you're up all night.
Speaker 8: Because what's happening is because you also, like, like you also have a job. Right, So he is shooting so many many hours and it has become all consuming, from shooting the rookie to dealing with all the business part of Palm Republic. And it's been a treat to watch because I've seen Eric grow as a businessman, like right in front of my eyes. You know, the amount of phone calls and conference calls and traveling and all the stuff that he's learning about RUM and about building a business. It's been incredible to watch, but sometimes you just go, dude, can you just get off the phone for one second, because it's just way too much and it's wrong.
Speaker 2: It's wrong, right, Like your second job is rum.
Speaker 5: Can we you know acknowledge that it's fantastic?
Speaker 2: However you're not cure cancer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly, but it's great.
Speaker 2: But you know you're telling your kids, Oh, Dad, it's not going to be here tonight. He has to go to another rum.
Speaker 3: Trying to worry, like, how do I not make my kids alcoholics? I'm like, no, no, it's not. Everything's not about Rum. Like there, Dylan's always like, Dad, is this about Rum? And I'm like, don't worry about rum, Dylan, you're seven. He's good for don't think about this morning.
Speaker 4: He was like so he we're talking in the kitchen and he goes, you leave again, Where are you going now?
Speaker 8: He said, no, we have to go to Miami for just a couple of days for what for primary public?
Speaker 4: And he goes, I'm going and we're like, no, you're not.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: I get it. Now. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing and baby, but.
Speaker 7: Now the kids will will We'll scan, We'll scan bars at restaurants we go to and be like bad, there's no good RUMs.
Speaker 1: Therefore, maybe they're learning. I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's going to be the most educated college, my god, my.
Speaker 2: Bar on campus.
Speaker 5: They will throw the best parties with the best cocktail with whether or.
Speaker 2: Not we enjoy that at the time, they're going to be well educated.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to freak out.
Speaker 7: Something fun I've started is is if I see it, if I find a rum that was distilled in the year that they were born, I grab a bottle for them and it's in the It's in the back closet, and this will be there. This will be the twenty first birthday friend, some some bottles that were distilled in there in their birth years.
Speaker 8: That's very You know, Sabella, our daughter was named after a wine. We went to Napa or it was your birthday and I don't drink. So we go into all these different vineyards and there's one specifically, it was a called Hazel Anzel Hanzel and in so Noma and Eric is like, you know what she doesn't drink, and I said, you know what, I can try like a dessert wine. I was aiming for that because I said, give me something really really really sweet that I feel like I'm drinking candy so I don't feel like it's alcohol. And we don't have this, but we don't have that, but we have this wine. And they bring this bottle that is called Sabella, and I was like, Sabella, I'm God, that's beautiful. And then then we learned that the owner of the place has twins, Sebastian and Isabella, so he joined both names and name it Sabella. So it was dedicated to the kids. And I was like, you know what, if we ever have kids, and if we ever have a daughter, I love that Sabella. And we have the bottle from twenty twelve when she was born, and we have it with us.
Speaker 4: We have two of them.
Speaker 2: I think that's perfect.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's very nice.
Speaker 3: I love that. Yeah, we're building that storage up of the birth years of the kids.
Speaker 8: This is a weird question, guys, and and my apologies Eric if there is no answer, But is there any health component at all to rum? Does it have any kind of something that people go it's good for or not all?
Speaker 3: Is it all like any alcohol? No alcohol wine.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 7: You're going towards the some people to some doctors recommend them.
Speaker 3: It's only red wine.
Speaker 7: One glass of red wine a day is good for your heart.
Speaker 3: Not a bottle of red wine like a lot of our friends drink. It's one glass and it's supposed to be because I think the tannins or something in the grapes that could be good for your heart. And I also sad another study come out there say then I don't think that's act totally true, but I do know, like if it's a clear alcohol, it can be better for you than a brown alcohol based on the sugars, like if you some people have different tolerance.
Speaker 8: The wait is roum the alcohol that you know, singers, professional singers, if they have a little bit of a throat over the vocal cords are inflamed, they tell you before you go on stage, just have a little bit and they have a shot of something.
Speaker 4: Isn't what they do to kind of like warm all the vocal cords.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard that, but I can't say we can.
Speaker 8: Start that all professional singers.
Speaker 7: We're going to start a barbershop quartet of Republic.
Speaker 3: But I know we're going to do a quiz before the end before we end here. But before we do that, let's talk really quick about the Rum Congress coming up, Jay, because you're going to be the moderator, correct on this panel?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well so, yeah, I'm I'm both I'm both the host of the Friday seminar day of Miami Rum Congress and then I'm fortunate enough to be moderating a panel with with Eric on it with also three other three other yeah, three other rum ambassadors. So so yeah, and just a little backstory on the Miami Rum Congress.
Speaker 1: It's been going on for six ish, seven ish years.
Speaker 7: And it's a it's a gathering. It's the largest, i will say, like rum conference type of thing right and in the United States, and it's a.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a three day event down in Miami.
Speaker 7: A ton of brands come, they bring to share their products, to share their stories. A lot of them will bring like sneak peaks of upcoming things. So day one, which is Friday, the thirty.
Speaker 1: First, is is all the seminar days. So it's a.
Speaker 7: Very like rum education and heavy learn about different things, and so Eric is on the I wrote it down to make sure I said it right. Give Rum a shot, tales from brand ambassadors in the trenches. So Eric will be will be at my mercy on that and I can pepper him with easy with questions.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be on there with a lot of RUM experts and I'm going to be the one that's swimming trying to keep up. But it'll be it'll be interesting, it'll be interesting. I'm in good hands.
Speaker 7: And then Saturday is the Grand Tasting. So it's set up like if you think about a career fair or like right, there's every every brand has a booth and you can come and experience Palm Republic will have We'll have a big presence there and you can come experience their their products, ask questions, learn about it, find things you love, maybe find things to arouseland's point you don't.
Speaker 1: Love as much, but now you know.
Speaker 7: And then we cap we cap it all off ironically with a we're doing the final event.
Speaker 1: So the f A.
Speaker 7: Forum Sundy, because it's this events in Florida has always been involved and and we usually plan the I'll call them the after hours events.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: And then one on Saturday after the grand tasting. We're partnering up with Palm Republic, and I know both you are going to be there and at Soda Sopra down in Miami Beach and we're going to have a big party there. So so very much looking forward to that Saturday night. Of course, the cap off, the whole, the whole, the whole weekend.
Speaker 3: It's going to be fun.
Speaker 4: It's going to be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta get ready. You're not gonna drink, but you're gonna come out. Will be the only sober one over the full gown.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 7: Oh man, don't don't tell Nita that she needs a gown.
Speaker 4: Let's go, let's go all out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what's this rum quiz? You don't you have it? No, Christy Crystal, Yes quiz that she sent sure to ask us questions.
Speaker 4: Yes, for me to compete with Jess right here.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna probably lose a buzzing in. I don't know. I guess she's Gonnada's questions and answer and we're going to see it's right here. How well we do?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 8: Okay, so two of you, so the two of you love RUMs so much. I'm going to give you a quiz on common questions about rum and we will see who answers faster. Okay, Nina, help me keep them honest over here, So right here you go and the sources from Room romography dot com.
Speaker 4: Number one, what is the French word for rum?
Speaker 1: It's rum with an age.
Speaker 4: No, we don't know, okay, So zero zero?
Speaker 1: Are are you looking for? Agricole? Is that the word you're looking at?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: I don't know the answer? Yeah, actually it's right here. Answers right here. It's called room.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, yes, yes, so you said the question, yes, yes, one zero okay.
Speaker 3: Number two.
Speaker 4: What is the world's oldest rum distillery.
Speaker 3: The actual distiller?
Speaker 7: Yes, I believe that it's fairly agreed upon that Mount Gay is the oldest continually running distillery.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 8: Two points in Barbadoes, founded in seventeen oh three, the oldest survive indeed, okay. Number three, which country makes the most rum?
Speaker 4: You talked about it?
Speaker 3: Jamaica?
Speaker 8: No, you're talking.
Speaker 3: Philippines, India, India.
Speaker 8: I did not know the answer, okay, So the three no, two to one. The next one, what is the most expensive rum in the world?
Speaker 7: Well, so, Jared, Okay, there's a I think I don't know if this is it, but there's a seventeen year old J Ray and Nephew bottle that was sold at auction for thirty forty thousand dollars. It's the original Ma Tai rum. I don't know if that's the right answer, but I know that defensive.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 8: So Dictator Colombian Rum MC Golden Cities series sold for one point five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a lot more.
Speaker 1: It's Dictador. Is that the one Dictador.
Speaker 8: Dictator Dictador Colombian Room, Mcity Golden You ever had that?
Speaker 1: I've had. I've not had that one. I've had Dictador rum.
Speaker 7: They do some they do some special releases and they do I think some like artist bottles type thing.
Speaker 1: So I wonder if it was one of those.
Speaker 8: Is this one is the M City Golden Cities series? So these one is a series? Is a one point five You know, Puerto Rico has a rum that is have you heard of rome Ron Superior rom Superior.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, in Puerto.
Speaker 8: Rico that one goes for like five hundred dollars a bottle and it's supposed to be like super premium.
Speaker 3: We have a couple of bottles. I haven't tried yet.
Speaker 4: And I know this because I just directed a morn.
Speaker 3: I should probably bring it to Florida, should you know?
Speaker 4: I direct?
Speaker 8: I directed a movie and I have a scene that the girls are doing like a like a tasting, and they sponsored. They came in as sponsors, and they told me is age for eighteen years is in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 4: The owner.
Speaker 3: We gave us each a bottle of our our birth years.
Speaker 4: Of a birth year is correct because it was, Yes, But.
Speaker 3: I'm nervous to open it now. I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: If you don't know it's true, it's true, you should open it.
Speaker 3: Right, you're right?
Speaker 4: Okay. The next one is, oh, I know they answer to this.
Speaker 3: We're working at the answer one.
Speaker 4: No, I know, I know without looking.
Speaker 3: So Puerto Rico.
Speaker 8: No, Yes, I said, what country at a home? What country is home to the pina colada roam cocktail?
Speaker 1: Puerto Rico Rico?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm going to be more specific where exactly I know?
Speaker 3: I know this answer the Hilton Right.
Speaker 4: You're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's the myth.
Speaker 4: What is the term for diluting down the alcohol?
Speaker 3: What you watering down.
Speaker 1: No, proofing down.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, proofing down. What does a mean? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But he knows that it's an easy one.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: He's just giving me a point because I'm so far behind, Like, let me just be quiet on this one, and.
Speaker 4: Letic so name the room named after a Rolling Stones song.
Speaker 1: It's a hurricane. What?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's something hurricane.
Speaker 1: Something something fire fire?
Speaker 7: Yes you it's a.
Speaker 1: Line from Jumping Jack Flash. Why can't I remember it?
Speaker 3: Cross fire.
Speaker 4: Ross, there's my hurricane.
Speaker 7: The guy's going to be pissed because he he I sat with him and tried tried the rum one of the brand wraps.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, what is the most famous ticky rum cocktail?
Speaker 3: My tie?
Speaker 1: My tie? Correct?
Speaker 4: And the last one? Where where is the birthplace of rum?
Speaker 3: Barbadoes? Yay? M just going off memory?
Speaker 4: Who I lost count?
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. Jay knew all the answers. He just chose to be slow on some of them to let me have a fighting chick.
Speaker 7: I didn't know that I did not know the most expensive rum in the world.
Speaker 3: Neither did I J So it didn't help me that you didn't know that.
Speaker 8: Now you know that it comes from Colombia, you need to get a bottle of that one. Yeah, sure, you have one point five million dollars on one bottle.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Well listen, guys, thank you so much for for being on with us. This was a lot of fun. Can't wait to meet you both in person coming up next, not this weekend, but the weekend after on the first and second, I think is what it.
Speaker 7: Is, right, thirty first first first.
Speaker 3: Thirty first in the first going into January February. It's gonna be a lot of fun. We will be at the Miami Convention Center for the congress. And what's the location to get in the bar that we're going to be celebrating with Florida.
Speaker 7: So sora which is it means under over in Italian. So they have like a rooftop terrace over top of the restaurant. We're going to be up on the rooftop, so pray for pray for nice weather.
Speaker 3: That's where the party is going to be at the party that we're doing with with Florida Rum Society.
Speaker 4: Is this private? Is this a private event?
Speaker 1: So good question.
Speaker 7: See that's a good question. It is not a private event. However, you do up to RSVP. I know that Palm Republic just posted on Instagram about it. And if you go to Florida Rumsociety dot com, there's a link right there where you can.
Speaker 4: Rsp How many people do you think? And I can get that if.
Speaker 1: You want to know. Right now we're up to like one hundred. But I think there's room for like more.
Speaker 4: There's room for more. Okay, but nice, Invite your friends.
Speaker 7: If you have friends, when they want to come, they can come to.
Speaker 4: Oh for.
Speaker 3: You have a lot of Miami fans.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 3: We'll have to send send me over the link Jay of what that we can put on social.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll send to you. I'll send you one.
Speaker 3: Get off, sweet Nina, Jay, thank you so much. It was a lot of fan.
Speaker 1: Much great, very much.
Speaker 7: Look forward to hanging out in a few weeks and uh and and sharing some great rum rum friends than you.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. By thanks bye, thank you bye bye again. Big thank you to Jay and Nina for being on with us. It's gonna be so much fun in Miami. We can't wait to anybody who's down there, come hang out, go to the Rum Congress.
Speaker 4: But is there a cost to go to the party?
Speaker 3: Well, the party, I don't think the party or the Rum Congress. You have to just got to get tickets. You have to get a ticket to get tickets, and then also listen. I'll talk about this now. We'll talk about it more even later. But I'm going to be there as well, meet and greet for Total Wines again. We're going to be there on January thirty first, eleven to one Total Wine Kendle. And then on February first, another meet and greet Total Wines eleven to one at the Total Wine Miami Beach where I went to before. So gonna be great. Please come out. We'd love to sign a bottle, take some pictures. Hang It's going to be an action packed Miami weekend.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love you.
Speaker 3: Bye, love you. Thanks for listening. Don't forget to write us a review and tell us what you think.
Speaker 8: If you want to follow us on Instagram, check us out at he said, as is that email Eric and Ross.
Speaker 4: At iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 8: He said, ABO is part of iHeartRadio's Mike Will do That podcast network.
Speaker 3: See you next time. Bye,