Speaker 1: Hey everyone, I'm Devin Simone and I am Davon Rogers, and we are back hosting MTV's Offecial Challenge podcast to cover the Challenge Season forty Battle of the Eras.
Speaker 2: Yes, Devin, it is the fortieth season of the Challenge.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. How excited are you?
Speaker 4: Girl?
Speaker 1: You know I'm excited. I've always liked old So fortieth season, we are.
Speaker 5: Gonna get into it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's going to be iconic. Well, first of all, just happy birthday and shout out to the Challenge.
Speaker 4: Will.
Speaker 1: Not many shows make it to forty seasons. It's iconic that we are here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So today we're kicking off the season covering the official launch special, which Davon and I were lucky enough to host alongside TJ in Vietnam.
Speaker 2: This season is going to be so interesting to watch.
Speaker 3: We have the Battle of the Eras.
Speaker 2: Now it's gonna spy I see on this podcast because we are a part of two different eras.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is my sister. I love her.
Speaker 2: Down yeah, but we are in two total different eras, and I know she's probably gonna be rooting for her.
Speaker 1: Era, not necessarily, I'm not necessary look, I'm loyal to the people. No, I think there are I think it's just going to be so interesting to see it play out. And also the reason why probably I'm not like super loyal to my era is because I'm one of those in betweeners. I came in on season twenty one, which is the beginning of Era three, but I was initially I came on Real World during ERA two, and I was initially asked to be on a challenge season during ERA two, So in a way, I'm almost closer to some Era two people then I was Era three, so I and I love Era one. I love people on Air four. So I'm just I just want everybody to have fun and I want to see I want everyone to show up and see how they do and what's crazy too. Because okay, so to give you guys a little tea behind the scenes, so Day and I were there and it was top secret, so none of the cast new that TJ had flown us out right, we got fleut out.
Speaker 5: And it was really crazy, like really interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean, TJ just wanted it to be a surprise, and I guess he figured that's what the people wanted.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That we popped out, oh chipped out.
Speaker 5: Ceet looked the most stunned. TCT like opened the door and then didn't he shut it?
Speaker 3: He shut it in our face, like just hut the door in our face.
Speaker 2: I said, you never tell me twice Mama said, don't never be no where I'm not welcome.
Speaker 3: But I'm out of here, goodbye.
Speaker 5: I think he was just so stunned.
Speaker 1: It was all in the end he gave us because but it was all crazy. But what we were doing when we did interview them is we were giving our unsolicited sister opinion. So Dale, you why don't you take the lead on some of the advice that we were giving, like Amanda, for example, on what they should be doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, going into talk to Amanda, y'all know if you know, you know, Amanda's my girl, that is my sister ro right, So having a conversation with her, I needed her to know whatever beef you got with Kara, you gotta diet it immediately because you got Tory in here, and Tory is probably about to come for your throat. And that's a common for you and Cara. So maybe just maybe you might have to put your differences aside, and so you know, I had to talk to her and tell her put your pride.
Speaker 3: Throw it down the toilet and flush it and you know, mingle and she she listened. I said, that's my girl, that's my girl.
Speaker 2: But I want to be very clear in the conversation that she's having with her. I don't think she did it for political purposes. I really think that was a genuine conversation she had with Bara like that was very genuine and it was so refreshing to see it.
Speaker 3: Even, you know, both of them being.
Speaker 2: Mature about the situation, because Kara could have not been receptive, but Cara received it. And you know, and that's also because we had a conversation with Kara.
Speaker 5: We did. We gave Carl, yeah.
Speaker 3: The same advice like, hey, you know you in here by yourself.
Speaker 1: Hold Josh, you told you and Josh hadn't started, so okay, everyone knows you start politicking.
Speaker 5: Or everyone knows that, right.
Speaker 1: And Josh over here he was they've now been locked down for I don't know how long.
Speaker 5: Josh hadn't even started, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because he had his vacation Alliance members there. I remember we asked him the tough question.
Speaker 5: We asked him.
Speaker 2: We said hey, are they gonna look out for you? And he told us he.
Speaker 3: Said, no where everybody in the Alliance is going to get their win.
Speaker 2: And I asked him, I said, do you think that they would push you in front of Anissa to get a win? Do you really think that would happen? And he couldn't come up with an answer.
Speaker 3: Well, he said, I think.
Speaker 5: We asked did you specifically clarify that with him?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: He was assuming yeah, yeah, And we were like, okay, did you point blank say, hey, is get clear? And he was like, well, no, yeah, see we can't roll with all Well, no, we can't roll with that.
Speaker 5: He's done this too many times. He knows better, Like, yeah, knows better.
Speaker 3: So it was just great talking.
Speaker 2: People got a chance to talk to Olivia about the Harassio and Nuris situation, you know, I situation Like there's so many everybody was just beefing. There's so many different dynamics, the Kara and Laurel, like, there's so much going on in this season and that I think that is the hardest part because not only are the eras competing against each other, the people within the eras aren't like competing within each other and so that's a whole different.
Speaker 1: And just like their history, Like, I haven't seen Nya and Leroy together since they both left me on the back of a bus in Uruguay because they were sitting parallel me. Okay, they were sitting opposite me. They knew I was there, they were doing other things, and they got up off that bus when the bus stopped and left me there in Uruguay.
Speaker 5: So I have not seen them together.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I've seen Lisons, you know, since.
Speaker 5: What was that like ten years ago?
Speaker 1: It was really great to just see these interesting dynamics people and to see people who were there rooting for you in one of your biggest for lack of a better term, challenges years ago, still there and thriving was just super special. And there's no one I would have wanted to share that with other than you.
Speaker 4: Day.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna cry because we had such great moments, like even you know, being there, but us bonding and having that experience as well, and then like even being in that moment, like you said, it was very nostalgic, and I think the part that got me because you know, thugs don't cry, but the part that got me was pretty much everybody was like, you know, you're supposed to be here, right, And I'm like, and to say that to me, somebody who's never won, never even made it to a final, and they all believed in me. I think, you know, Johnny has said it to me, Cee t has said it to me. Polly had me hemmed up in a corner like just like, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: What's your problem?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And it just it was so good, so refreshing.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to see you come back, and it just you know what it was.
Speaker 3: It was a family reunion. It was it was a family.
Speaker 2: It see my cousins and I don't know how long.
Speaker 5: That's exactly how it felt without the spades.
Speaker 1: Was a family, which you know, there's the cousins you like and the ones you get along with less, but as a whole you love them and it's family. That's exactly what it was. It was the challenge family reunion. And it was just so special seeing Lee cry when he saw Cam and the beautiful baby babies.
Speaker 5: Oh just really yeah.
Speaker 1: Overall it was just really special and can we I'd be remiss TJ.
Speaker 4: I love TJ.
Speaker 5: We talked about his wardrobe. TJ came in hot.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: TJ looks so.
Speaker 1: So proud of him. He loves that I critique his work. We talked about it. I relaid some of the messages you guys, the fans have sent me about TJ's wardrobe. He knows we're watching, he knows we're analyzing. He came in so fly and it was such an honor to get to stand beside him in such a special moment.
Speaker 5: We love teach.
Speaker 2: He has also approved. I want to let you guys know, he has approved of us being called TJ's angels.
Speaker 3: You gave us the.
Speaker 2: Stamp of approval people, So that's where we are. But yes, this this premiere launch party was so good. Strategy started, politickings started.
Speaker 5: I'm looking over dramas.
Speaker 3: I'm like, all of the things have started.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, and you know, the drama started, and it's only going to get better and juicier. I cannot wait to see what happens. Okay, So I just want to know here we go. Why don't we do it? Maybe because this is an Olympic year, but why don't we I'd love for us to rank the eras each week, So I want to know, Like, who do you think is going to come out on top like gold, who's going to get silver, who's gonna get bronze, and who's going to get participation? And it can be the same each week, it can change based on what happens in that episode. And I know the competition hasn't officially begun yet, but just based on what you're seeing, based on who's on what team and the histories, what would be your order or your ranking this week?
Speaker 4: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: Participation points. First of all, I love my era down.
Speaker 1: Okay, how many times she keeps saying that by the end of the season.
Speaker 2: But it's just too much pride. It's just too much drama. It's just it's too much. And you know what it is, it's a lot of people who want to be in charge.
Speaker 4: What is the time?
Speaker 2: Too many chefs in the kitchen, way too many chefs in the kitchen. Right, everybody has the it's my idea, We're gonna do my plan. Everybody wants to be the top dog in Era four, So I think I'm going to give them participation trophy.
Speaker 3: They showed up, they were there Era one and two. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of stuck between which one to give the gold because I feel like they both have something to prove.
Speaker 3: I feel like they have something to prove.
Speaker 2: All these you know new kids as they like to call us, have come in and have taken over.
Speaker 3: Their show, and so they have something to prove.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give the gold to Era two.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna give the gold to Era two. I'm gonna give the silver to Era three, and I'm gonna give the bronze to Era one. And the reason I said I'm gonna give the silver to Era three is because you got Tory, you got Jordan, you got There's a bunch of champs there, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And then not to take away from anybody else because a bunch of champs everywhere else, but a lot of recent champs are there, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: You know, they just fresh out.
Speaker 2: A lot of them was in the last couple of seasons. So you know, how you do something, it's like muscle memory. Oh I was just here. Some other people got to shake the dust off, you know, Tride some oil on the team.
Speaker 3: Can We don't know?
Speaker 4: So how about you?
Speaker 5: You know what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: For as of right now, my rank in the pre week of the Challenge Season forty. I'd have to say that I think I think participation and I love my Ara down for participation, I'm gonna give Era three for what you said about air Force. I think Era three has too many cooks in the kitchen and I feel like they're in that hybrid stage where I will be hopeful but surprised to see if they learn how to really work together as a team. I think they are all very loud, talented, but individuals, like individualistic, and I just don't even I don't even see really many teams among them, Whereas for the other eras, I can see little grouping, you know, like I see kind of half teams and it's like, all right, if they could just bridge this gap, then they can all work together. Whereas Era three, I feel like you're starting from the bottom. Although I am hopeful in seeing Amanda and just how she approached Kara, and maybe it works. So I'm giving participation to my own Era for this week. Era three, I think the bronze would go to And this one is tough because there are it's it's there.
Speaker 5: Is a line.
Speaker 1: I think the bronze would probably go to Era four. I do think there are some powerhouses on there, Like I'm looking at Kyland, I'm looking at Orossio, I'm looking at Nourice. I'm looking at Olivia too. But and Casey, Actually, you know what, never mind, take that back.
Speaker 5: I lied.
Speaker 1: No, I think Bronze is going to go to Era two only because I think they might self implode, right, Like, I think there's some strong ones there. There's a group, but I think they can get distracted in fighting. I'm also not quite sure how strong the guys are. I think the Silver goes to Era four because I think there are some powerhouses in your era, like collect Michelle is literally a political mass.
Speaker 5: I mean we called her the Godfather.
Speaker 1: Like, Michelle's brilliant and if they can just learn to work together, Casey is like, like, don't sleep on Casey, right, Casey, Olivia, Nourice, uh Herdassio, Kylind you got so many strong people there, Appaullie.
Speaker 5: So I think Silver goes to air for.
Speaker 1: And right now, I'm gonna say, I know they're old, but with that age comes a certain level of wisdom. Mm hm. So I think Era one could take home the gold. At least that's how I see it this week. I think Era one could take.
Speaker 3: Home the gold Era one.
Speaker 5: We'll see when the game actually starts.
Speaker 1: So how did our numbers line up? They definitely didn't because you said for gold Era two.
Speaker 3: Or we were not on one accord at all. And that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna make this that's whats gonna make it fun. And don't worry you guys. We're still gonna do gold Star in timeout, but nobody has done much of this episode, so we're just letting it fly. I mean, the gold Star ultimately would be TJ's wardrobe and and hours because day you look so flying.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: She hated her heels was great?
Speaker 3: Okay. I think we came in and we was floating.
Speaker 5: Okay, we did. We did just TJ and his angels.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be such a fun season and we are excited to go on this ride and journey with you.
Speaker 5: And get all the tea and talk.
Speaker 1: To all these generations because we're literally looking at a competition of Gen X, millennials and Gen Z which is really cool. Yeah, kudos to whoever came up with this format because that's actually pretty brilliant.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is gonna be so good. I'm excited. I'm so excited that we are back on the podcast. We love our girls, Thank you guys for coming. We do Tori and Anissa, they held down the fourth for the previous season.
Speaker 3: Devin and I are.
Speaker 2: Back and we get to watch our girls play. Yes, and I'm so excited for them, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, absolutely, and we are so excited for you guys and our first guest. She is an icon because she won and then she just disappeared and now she is back. She is coming for she's coming to remind us all why she is a Challenge champion. You guys are not going to want to miss this interview. We haven't heard from her and literally over a decade, almost two decades. So grab some snacks, get comfy, whatever you gotta do, but don't go anywhere because when we come up, we have.
Speaker 5: An interview with iconic Challenge champion of ev of E right after this.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get back to the show, all right.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentle people.
Speaker 1: We are so excited for our first guests as we kick off the season forty of the Challenge. She's iconic, she came, she left her impression and then she was like, I'm out, but now she's coming back for season forty. Please give it up for a challenge, Champion of the.
Speaker 5: Welcome Girl.
Speaker 1: Welcome first, can we say you are smoldering right now? I mean just gorgeous, literally all the vibes, and you're so excited to have you here. And how do you feel being back after being gone for so long?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, amazing. I feel better than I have felt in a long time. And I think this opportunity for me sort of came out of nowhere. I had let go. You know, my first season was eighteen years ago. I was twenty one years old. I was still finishing up college. I was a baby. I didn't know, you know, just much about myself, much about life. And that being said, I came, I won, and then then I was never back. So it was just like this cool thing that had happened at one point in my life and I moved on and to have this resurface after so long, and I think for me, you know, I had just turned forty years old to have Season forty B forty and come back to sort of this circle of life that had started so long ago. And it never really had you know, I think I never really had closure, and I didn't realize it because it just, you know, it was what it was, and that was it. So how fun.
Speaker 1: Because we have at earlier AVIV. Yeah, were you called back and you just turned it down? Or had you not heard from the Challenge since?
Speaker 4: So basically I was pretty boring my first season, like minus winning, which apparently doesn't matter. But I didn't talk much. I was terrified and I had been on a season with all vets pretty much everyone in Era one, So what you'll see is like, I'm much closer. Actually, I know more people in Era one than I did. You know an era too, which was interesting the season in general. But you know, I think they called me back once for availability, and then I had recently missed something in the last two years when they started All Stars, and they'd asked me to come for All Stars, but I didn't see the message because I'm like forty. So anyway, on jokes aside, I ended up kind of reconnected with some people, and I think it was probably due to some of the All Star stuff, and you know, Derek, some people that I had worked with in Challenge media and before I knew it. I had a call. It was originally going to be potentially All Stars, and then they put me in as an alternate for forty and I'm like, Okay, this probably isn't going to happen. And ten days before the show I found out, I was going, so.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow, we want to be put in that moment because eighteen years is.
Speaker 5: A long time, long time.
Speaker 3: And so you get the actual phone call.
Speaker 2: What happens is it like yeah, sign me up, where it's like hold on, let me let me let me think about that for a minute.
Speaker 4: I was just like I have a few questions, right, no, right?
Speaker 5: What were the questions?
Speaker 4: Well? Number one like how long is this right? Right, which was like, dude, ten and a half weeks? Eleven weeks? And I was like are these people out of their minds? Like I have two kids? But also I was like, wow, that sounds like a lovely vacation. So so I'm like, okay, well whatever, I don't have to be there the whole time, won't be you know, Okay, so let's just say whatever. We don't know how long it's actually going to be. And then you know, talking to my husband and the kind of cool thing is that I had actually met my husband right before I filmed Fresh Meat. So we had been together in college and we had maybe been together three months when you think, you know, you're in the honeymoon stage and you can't like and now we've been married for you know, I've been together over twenty years. Like I don't even I'm like the man in the relationship. I don't know when our anniversary is. I don't know when. I just know we're together and we have two kids and we're just making it work. No. But uh so he was familiar with show, so it made it a little bit easier to have a conversation. And I think and I were just like, holy shit, yeah, like is this really happening? And in that moment, we're kind of like, well, it could happen, but it probably won't. And I had just left my job at corporate and I pretty much had had kind of a rough experience my last sort of six months with just fighting the corporate world like for so many years and being good at it but not really wanting to do it, you know, just some of the corporate bullshit that goes on, and always wanting to work for myself. So I had just left, So I was kind of like in this space of like what am I going to do? Am I going to go for another job? And then honestly I got the call and I was like, I think I need to wait and see. It's probably not going to happen, but let me like ride it out. And I didn't have much notice. I wasn't really training, but I've always stayed in shape.
Speaker 1: Amazing if you guys say right now, no shape, nominal shape. Now, speaking of training, we know you're a champion. We know that you were friends with several champions, but one fellow champion in particular, who happens to be a guy who happens to train a lot, Darrell, And he said that you didn't even tell him that you were coming on this season.
Speaker 5: What was the reason behind that?
Speaker 4: Well, are we not allowed to tell people? Isn't that a rule?
Speaker 3: I mean I used to follow the rules.
Speaker 5: I used to follow them.
Speaker 4: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: So he said, pregaming, Yeah, this is not a.
Speaker 4: Liability right now with the corporate girl.
Speaker 1: So nothing on this podcast is a liabilit just so you Knowrel is lying.
Speaker 5: So he knew, and he said he didn't know.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I think I didn't really tell anyone to begin with, because it really happened so quickly. So I really found out days before. And then there was a part of me that was just like, I'm not going to start calling everyone because right, this is my first time back in eighteen years, Like I'm not. And so I think there were probably a couple of people that I reached out to literally like two days before, and I too, by the way, but I think Drell was wonderful, so you know, and he was like, what, I'm so excited, So anyway, what a liar?
Speaker 3: All Derail?
Speaker 4: Okay, it'll be good, great for story, Darrell.
Speaker 2: Right, were you excited to see anybody after being gone for such did you oh the show?
Speaker 1: Did you research before coming on knowing that you were going to be coming?
Speaker 5: Did you at least do a little research?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, so that I did, but I didn't. I mean, okay, the episodes are so long now, and like when I did it, it was like twenty two minutes, and I'm pretty sure that was with commercials, you know, it was like something like that. I think it was actually tout, but it was twenty two minutes. And I remember I hadn't be like CDs or sorry, DVD's, but same thing basically. But yeah, I tried. I watched some of the All Stars once because initially I thought they were going to call me for All Stars, so I was like, I should watch it all Stars, which were too bad, and then I started to watch. I watched like it must have been season thirty eight, and I just remember kind of being oh my god, so long, like no wonder it takes eleven weeks to phone this thing. But I was watching it to kind of understand and see people, and I had figured, you know, the games changed the I don't remember trivia being a thing, and it's like a thing every time now.
Speaker 5: I love trivia personally, but you know that's.
Speaker 4: Just me, well good for me, probably got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went that one. It's any one where I don't get hurt, So I like that. When you were watching.
Speaker 1: The seasons, particularly you mentioned thirty eight, which is right or yes, who stood out to you in that season and who were you who did you see yourself potentially you know, aligning with or just from watching it going okay, I you know I rock with that person. And then who was someone you saw that you were like, all right, I'm gonna just keep an eye out for them in the back of my mind.
Speaker 4: So I remember a Jordan and By and Devin Johnny was on it, I think, and I remembered thinking Devin was really smart, but like, watch out, you know, for whim because he's smart, and he socially seemed to be, you know, a big social player and obviously he's also got the physical stuff to kind of back it up. But he stood out to me as someone who would is very socially smart. Yeah, and I know people want to use the word manipulative, but it's part of the social game. Is part of the game, so absolutely, you know, I think everyone's just doing what they wanted to win in trying to live.
Speaker 5: He's us exactly sure.
Speaker 4: Tour, I thought Tory was a bad ass. Like I don't remember having any feelings positive really or negative towards her except that she was really good. And then I don't remember much about you know, I feel like Johnny was more of just well now I know him a little bit better, but Johnny was just Johnny with like his partner did a really good job, you know, also made it there till the end, and so I knew he was going to be a strong competitor. And then Jordan, you know, I think I was like, Wow, this guy's like ridiculous and very talented, and you can just tell he's one of those guys that's good at everything and he knows it and you know, so I knew he was going to be someone. Once standnounced that he was coming, you know that he was going to be someone as well that's going to be there. I'm trying to think if there was anyone else on that season, was Tony on it?
Speaker 1: No, Tony hasn't been back in a while, which I know a lot of people are super.
Speaker 4: Fond.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got a whole vibe.
Speaker 1: I'm pleased because, like on the outside looking in, it almost seems like you are in a unique group to have an advantage becaucause you're not as known, right, Like, you don't have so much baggage following, you are in.
Speaker 5: Shape, exactly under the radar.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned you have a really good relationship with a lot of the Era one people. As you're going into the house, at what point does your brain start to click where you're kind of thinking strategy and do you think your relationship with Era one will be a part of that strategy or will help you in the game.
Speaker 4: So I think even before walking into the house the only people, you know, I knew that what could work to my advantage could also work to my disadvantage and vice versa. So I knew that coming in as someone who most of the cast members didn't even know, it would be very easy for them to throw me in, you know. And I didn't know what that was going to look like right at this point. We didn't know that it was teams, you know, we didn't know what the voting process would look like, right or any of that. But I thought, look, there's friendships here that go back years, you know, I missed eighteen years of rapport building. Let's call it. That these people have these deep things, and so so it was I would have been an easy scapeboat for people to throw in. And they also I had women on my team. I had Laurel, and I had Kara, and I had Emily, who all have the reputation. And of course I didn't know most of this until I, like, you know, started to talk to people and just understand since I didn't know the whole history. But I'm like, to the same degree these women are really strong, and they don't know that I could be an asset to the team, right because like you said, I'm under the radar. They don't know me. And also I'm five feet tall, so people think like whatever, you know that I'm like a little chihuahua. But but at the same time, when I started to understand, and it didn't happen probably until the first more of the first week in the house, that actually these girls all hate each other a little bit, right, and they all have these rhymevalries and they're so we're about beating each other that like yeah, like, yeah, that's why I said.
Speaker 1: It's flying under the radar until you get to the end and seeing it as you're in shape. I don't know how much of it is genetics. I don't know how much of it is a gym. I can't say. It's all about, seriously, you look fabulous and so being that you have that, and that you clearly have a certain level of like power, because it's hard when you fly under the radar and you're not particularly in shape or good or certain challenges or athletic, right, because then you kind.
Speaker 5: Of can't get together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, the way you suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you're in shape, you flying under the radar. It's like there's so much potential here for you to just kind of and because you do have some friendships, right, like you do know some people, some ogs who still carry certain amount of weight and so.
Speaker 4: And they did and that yeah for sure, because not only did they make introductions, you know, but because I Tina and Tina and I were friends and people have been telling me for years like you and Rachel would love each other. Yeah, I could see that similarity.
Speaker 5: I could see that totally.
Speaker 4: And I know and I remember like taking to myself like, oh, she's like Jewish and in the sports like thanks everyone, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: To know or so.
Speaker 4: But anyway, it made the entry right, like having that warm handoff, and then you know, I knew Mark, I knew Derek. I obviously had played with Durrell. I had met CT a couple of times, but we didn't really know each other that well. I didn't know Brad, but I knew the majority of ERA one. And what I came to find out too was there were a couple of people on my team that had had relationships with ERA one. And I think it's because we were on the border, so our eras overlapped, so we had done seasons together.
Speaker 5: For all the eras.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, that's because I know I would be Era three, but it's because I turned down the first couple of times I was invited to do the challenge.
Speaker 5: So most people in Era two were people who.
Speaker 1: Started their challenge time on the same time I would have started my challenge time, but I was in Era three. So there's which is what makes this season So because it's actually two, I looked it up just to make sure it's gen X versus millennials versus gen Z all in one which and there's no definitive line because there's such a blurred, you know, crossover of people, which makes it it's funny.
Speaker 4: You do feel that like you're like some of the stuff are just what.
Speaker 1: Is this.
Speaker 4: From this planet?
Speaker 3: I feel like you coming into this season.
Speaker 2: Every single one of these eras has strong competitors, but they also have a lot of t a lot it's a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Somebody, let.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying for at Paul's what what what did you learn? What did you learn when you was watching?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I mean even just like some of the Amanda history, you know, and like that just watching that thing. Obviously Laurel and Carl, ye know what a Rachel and Johnny had history. Oh, because that's a heavy one.
Speaker 3: Carl and law is a very heavy one.
Speaker 4: I will say that I that was probably the thing that worried me the most on a team. So, like my background in my most recent years and corporate has been sales leadership, and so for me, I was kind of looking at our team like as if it was a team that I hired, which I clearly didn't. I acquired this team, but like you know, I'm kind of analyzing it from that lens, and I'm like Jesus, like we got to like getrin of both these girls, because this isn't this is not happening, and I wanted it I could. I think over the years, just being through life experiences, tried my hardest to really try to see other people's perspective and understand why they are the way that they are, because most people aren't just bad people for sure, right and most people there's some kind of trauma or some kind of trigger or something that is causing this reaction that may not seem normal to the rest of us. But you know there's a reason for it. And so I think with those two what I at the beginning it was a concern and then it was like they wanted to work together, but they like something would always happen where they they put it, you know, and their personalities just don't mesh. And I don't know that it ever will, you know, I mean, it would be really nice to see.
Speaker 5: Do you think they're in fighting?
Speaker 1: Was so, yes, they fight with one another, they're also both powerhouses together and as individuals.
Speaker 5: Do you think the.
Speaker 1: Skill set they brought to the team and the strength they brought to the team outweighed the drama they brought to the team.
Speaker 4: So it's certain points of the game I think when they were able to separate, which both of them are competitors and they're able to do this, which is great. So they can both let go of the bullshit when they're actually in the game and they can compete and they do have different strengths. And when I started to sort of see that, that gave me home because I said, as long as we're together and we're working together, whether they're upset with each other or not, they both have the ability to separate when they need to perform and perform and that's important. So then I was like, fuck it, I'm not trying to make peace between them now that I know that they can just like do it. Because for a while I was like, well maybe you know, like how about this and it was just so painful and it was I am wasting my energy here. And once I realized that none of that shit mattered and they could both separate when they needed to. And I think they also knew each other was an asset at points, right, and so their competitive side was able to say put aside the bullshit because there are definitely times and both of them were concerned they don't trust each other, which was probably my biggest fear. Right, if you have a team of people they don't trust each other, it's not a good start. It's usually doesn't get better from there. So for you know, Kara always thought that Laura was gonna, you know, throw something to get her kicked out of the game, and Laura felt the same way about Kara. And when it got into those moments, you would see them both to start to play their game anti each other and for themselves. But when it wasn't a situation where one of them was in a threat and it was just about winning. Like they both showed up. And I think that throughout you'll see throughout the shows that there's nothing for me as a woman working with strong women. All I want to see is these strong women helping each other. And that was the most disappointing part for me initially, as I was worried that that wasn't going to happen. So then when when it started to happen, it was like girls like, do not see how beautiful this is? Like, look at how much more powerful we are?
Speaker 5: Sweet?
Speaker 4: Oh, don't worry. By the end, I was like, fuck everyone, this is full. Show went back to form.
Speaker 5: All right, we have to take a quick break. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get back to the show.
Speaker 1: You definitely it seemed like such a thoughtful and introspective person and also very much an analyzer. I want to know because usually on the first days in the Challenge House, especially there are parties, there's letting loose.
Speaker 5: What did a viv do? Especially since you yoursel much that you felt.
Speaker 1: Like you may have been deemed boring the first time you were on What did you do? What are what can we expect to see of like a viv letting loose or what's like a fun memory.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for going back into the house.
Speaker 4: I so the when I say it was like a vacation, it really was, like so I had been going on with like a lot of stuff in the house. It was very stressful the last year, if only some stuff happened with our house and I was working and whatever. So just surprise, like I had had a lot of real life kind of home trauma stuff going on. And I just remember they took my phone in my computer and I was like I'm free, Like I'm free.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: And I got there, And of course I didn't really know anyone, but I'm a social butterfly and I love to have a good time and so and because i'd seen people I hadn't seen it in a while, and a lot of us in Era one, mostly Era one, which I can relate to a little bit better than Era two, have like kids and a family and whatever. So I had a great time. I let lose how you ended.
Speaker 1: A because all I'm hearing is I bonded and smiled. We talked about our kids. Eve in a hot tub was a vive on top of a table. Did a viv give a to I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I didn't give a tough. I did a lot of dancing. I did a lot of you know, drinking, hanging out. I didn't do I didn't do the table. I don't think, but it might be. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I gotta like, might be.
Speaker 4: I've told you I was having a good life. Christis. No one wanted to listen, so you know that I just decided to do it on national televion. But I had a great time. I mean, I think that I talked a lot more this time. I mean, I'm forty. I kind of feel like I know who I am. I have an opinion. I especially things that I'm passionate about, Like in my normal regular life. I'm very vocal, which is why I don't belong in corporate and I think some of that will come out this season. You know, we'll see. But I partied hard until it started to get like, oh shit, I need to like And I'll give you one story. I was playing. You know, we were drinking, and I love to do I'm a person who likes activities when I drink, like, I'm not a sit down and just sip on a bourbon kind of girl. I'm like, okay, what game are we playing? So we were playing football and it was just a bunch of the guys and myself and the area that we were at had it was like the pool area, and there are a bunch of trees in like random places because you know how these houses are. And someone had thrown me in the football. I like ran backwards and jumped to get it because I'm not one to just like give up and let it drop. And I ran face first into a tree. Oh and and I think I was like Jordan, Johnny and Corey and I or something, and I just got like I didn't know what happened. I mean, I knew what happened. Knew I ran into a tree, but it was like, oh shit. And I just remember the guys running over and they're like okay. I was like, I think, so, like, am I bleeding? I wasn't bleeding, but I had a black eye. Oh my god, My god?
Speaker 5: But drinking a beve?
Speaker 6: Were you drinking?
Speaker 4: Was drinking and playing football? So this finger, which is my ring finger. Ironically, I've broken twice playing football drunk going in for interceptions. And I think I learned my lesson. Yes, So yeah, I don't like I like to have fun. So that's the aviva. No one got to see. It probably would have been worse twenty years ago, but I think I was so worried back then about the impression. Yeah, and I thought at the time I was going to go to med school, and I was very careful not to say like to a fault, right, Yeah, And this time, I mean, I think I feel better about it because there's a couple of things that I'm like, shit, I kind of feel bad that I said now, So I think that that's a good sign that, yeah, I talked a little bit more.
Speaker 5: That you're on.
Speaker 1: I had the same feelings about my Real World season. I've said, of all those shows I've done, that's still the only show. While I love that I did it, it's the one I can't watch because I was so worried about what the impression would be and meetings.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to offend people. I didn't so I just didn't speak my mind.
Speaker 1: I didn't say how it was feeling, and people still judged. So then after that I was like, screw it, I'm gonna just do me And it was so much better.
Speaker 5: So so much better.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine after eighteen years getting to come back and sort of reclaim that. By the way, you know, even Bananas, who doesn't often acknowledge things outside of himself, acknowledge that your era was stacked when it came.
Speaker 4: To the women.
Speaker 1: Do you think the men in your era are going to have a hard time keeping up?
Speaker 4: Well, such a loaded question. You said, it's the new of even you talk about shit. So okay, so so yes and no in certain areas, because what you have to remember about this game, and clearly, I mean, I don't think anyone is going to look at this and be like, the women are clearly in much better shape than the men on our team as a whole, you know, I mean, you just look at them and they are stacked. But that is not what makes this game. That's a piece of this game. And again, this is all kind of developing as I'm learning about these people. I did a lot of observing the first you know week there Derek very underestimated across the board, great puzzle guy, great physically, he's very smart to very smart, very good physically, and he's such like a fun character, you know, great socially. Me and mile also underrated I think performance wise, Uh, Johnny, you know as much as people maybe you know that people love him or they hate him, he's also really good and he also has a lot of relationship. I mean, he has a lot of people that hate him, but for every person that hates him, he's got half a person that.
Speaker 5: Likes him, right, you know, half a person.
Speaker 1: I like that math.
Speaker 4: So I felt physically like there were going to be things that were tough, and we just didn't know going into it how physical it would be. But you know, when you get into things like jumping off the building, well, strength doesn't necessarily matt right, right, and things.
Speaker 5: Like that that mindset and strategy.
Speaker 4: Correct correct so or just fucking do it, man, because this is what you sign up for. So, but I think just looking at it, yeah, clearly the women were you know, could have like if it was the women versus the men on our team, we probably so yes.
Speaker 1: Around that's saying that.
Speaker 3: To do it, I mean, I.
Speaker 4: Have an idea.
Speaker 1: You're not wrong, but I do think it's actually a good balance looking at Air two because you're right and not saying that you guys, the women on Air two aren't, you know, social powerhouses. But you guys have some men who literally their gameplay is known for their political prowess. So I think you guys have a pretty good balance of that.
Speaker 5: If you had to.
Speaker 1: Give each era a high school superlative, what would it be? Starting with Era four, let's go backwards, so Air four, what would their team superlative be?
Speaker 4: Give you an example, because I don't remember that, which is so horrible.
Speaker 6: Most likely exams or we got to feel exams Den now your eras, yes, you are.
Speaker 4: Well, she's not wrong. Now, actually you had to start.
Speaker 5: Not trying to welcome back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know a lot of people that just wanted attention.
Speaker 3: Well, now like like who have you like?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, that's what I would say, both likely to have attention to behavior era.
Speaker 1: Who do you think had the most attention behavior in Davon's era?
Speaker 4: And I like these girls, but I think there were this heart See now I feel.
Speaker 5: It's just us.
Speaker 4: I think I know, Oh that's right, it's not we have.
Speaker 3: Cousins on the couch, that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know it seemed to me like the com in general with Era three and four, I should say because of like social media, and that didn't exist for Era one, and I think it probably started at some point late Era two would be my guest, but I felt like a lot of the girls, like you know, Olivia Michelle, I didn't get the same sentence from Durie, but Nurise does a lot of stuff too, and I don't think it even like Bory would talk about Instagram and things like that, and I really like, I have nothing but respect for Tory as well, but I think they just come from a different era really, where that is the show isn't just the show and and the guys too, right, I mean you had and again I would say three and four because there was overlap. You could tell there was the crossover there, but where they're doing things like even like Tony right where they're doing these things and they have this character in this brand and they're looking for sort of more like the camera in the conversations and that is great. Like I probably could learn something from them from from a you know, getting your air coming, getting yourself out there kind of thing, but that's just not who Like when you look at Era one, in the majority of era too, that was never us, And so I think that was a divide that you saw that was recognized and been just a division between the eras that like interesting, right, we weren't like doing things for social media and we weren't doing things. I mean, listen, I'm like trying to post and I'm like throwing up every time I put a picture of myself off. This is does not feel natural at all. So and again I think it's generational, like there's they they're doing great and they're making a life for themselves and I have nothing.
Speaker 5: They're going to rationalize.
Speaker 4: I know, I feel bad, but.
Speaker 1: You give those the purlatives of viv they in on the line and then they give Yeah, you don't have to qualify when.
Speaker 5: We ask them.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna stutter.
Speaker 4: We're not stutter. And you're so right. And I kept telling myself that, I'm like, God, doesn't this bitch and say, there's gonna be so many things like I like, I already come home and talk to my husband about like three things. I was like, Babe, I love, but let me tell you about this ship.
Speaker 5: You got into some stuff of e.
Speaker 4: Listen, you never know though what's gonna show what's not, so we'll see. I mean, that's it's exciting and nerve waking all the same time. But so Ara three was kind of there. But Air three, let me think about what I would give. I feel like they had a lot of drama, I think, and they had a lot of I think they all like fucked each other too pretty much. Definitely a lot of them have had relationships. Just Jordan and everyone shake and then there was to and a man hated each other. It was like they were like I felt like that team was either sleeping with each other or fighting with each other, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there was just a ton of tea. Yeah, I could see that. I could see that.
Speaker 1: It is a weird thread of when you look at the names of all the groups. I actually do feel like from Era one, Era two, and Era four you can see at least a through line.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of like support there.
Speaker 1: And Era three, I actually don't see the through line, like you said, of the they either hooked up or fall, But I don't really see a strong through line of like we ride together.
Speaker 4: Nor it was like except for like Corey was set up the best there because she's got David, she's got Jordan, you know. But then like Corey was there and I couldn't quite figure out like Cory was you know, so it felt like a kind.
Speaker 5: Of there's a weird mixing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was a weird mix. Yeah, that's true. Okay, So there so so far we've got most likely to uh be egotistical? Was Era four, we got most likely to fall apart because they're toxic with A three?
Speaker 5: What is Era two?
Speaker 4: Era two? Oh? My era? You know, I felt like Air two was either going to self destruct or win it all. Like it was like, we're either going to self implode because we can't get over And this was my initial thing, like we're either going to self implode because we've got Johnny, Laurel, Emily Karr. Like not only did Lara and Laurel have stuff, there'd been like some stuff with Emily and Laurel, and then Johnny kind of had relationships with people, but also didn't you know, like they were competing. I felt like for for potentially like Johnny's relationship, Like it was really weird because I was kind of the outcast there for in the beginning, and so I was just kind of and Kelly and she just like fucking Kelly Anne, you know, and Kelly Ann and I was like, oh my god, I love it. But she's like just Kelly Anne. Like it was like I don't know where she goes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, essentially way to describe it, like.
Speaker 4: She's so she's she's very sweet, but she's just her own special. Yeah, she said, there is no other way. But I'm just like, Okay, I could see you and you and you and new fighting and you do having this relationship. But yeah, I felt like it was I don't know what the terminology I want to use is, but I was like, we're either, you know, we're either going to like win it all or news it all. Like we're either going to implode and be the first team out because we can't get past our pride and whatever it is, you know, or we're going to actually put all our ship aside and work as a team, in which case we are really strong and we could win this. And that was sort of again I don't know what the best like one.
Speaker 3: We're potential to self disrupt.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, like that that's more fun than.
Speaker 3: Anyway potentially self destruct And then what's.
Speaker 4: Herolon? Oh oh aral one. So we had this term that we started to use for Era one called the collectibles. Yes we did, and we said and actually we were all sitting together with ARA One, not all of us, but I think maybe like Johnny and I guess we were the closest to them, and maybe Ryan and we had decided that ARA one is the collectibles because they're like in their boxes. You know, they were the first of their kind, and they're sort of coming out of their boxes. They've been on the shelf. It might be a little dusty, right, not telling.
Speaker 5: Them dusty Now I'm the same.
Speaker 1: I just have to point I just I was about to say no, but you coming out the box and you've been gone eighteen years and has calling them dusty and bananas?
Speaker 4: Is you know?
Speaker 3: That's so we were all with them.
Speaker 4: We were like literally belong in your era, so we are collectibles with you. But that was sort of you know, and I but I will say the thing that I love the most about Era one and the reason that, you know, I hate to say that they're my favorite era, but they're my favorite era, and I feel like I'm from their era more so than my era. Sentiently did one show and it was right after season twelve, but they worked so well together and even when they didn't, which there are moments because you know, these personalities and they will be yelling each other and they will be having some horrible communication, but at the end of the day, they put everything aside, you know, like the bullshit that's on the field is on the field. But as a team and they we're just unified. And I don't know what the show will look like and exposed, but you could tell the difference between their era, and if you took their era and Era four, you're just like, they don't backstab each other. They don't, you know, like there is their word is their word. And I'm not saying people don't.
Speaker 5: I mean this is a generalization, and she's talking to you about.
Speaker 4: Feel the difference where it was like there is a way to play this game. And I think what you'll see in the different eras is each era plays their game a little bit differently and that's going to be interesting. I think to see it.
Speaker 5: Will be interesting.
Speaker 2: And that's the cool thing, right because everybody played at different times. That's why we have the right you played during their time, so on and so forth, and then we have the crossovers. And I think those people do really well because they have an opportunity to play across the board.
Speaker 5: If that makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's always like I know what you do, want to know what you do. I know what you're doing, I know what we do, so we can make this work.
Speaker 2: So I think that's really really exciting to watch.
Speaker 5: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I am so excited for this and I think it's going to be a powerhouse. The trailer phenomenal, phenomenal.
Speaker 4: I like so excited. Rachel's thaying made it, by the way, because one thing.
Speaker 7: I do want to say is that we talked so much about female empowerment all this season. And I know because we had a lot of powerful, sort of strong women I should say, for sure, a lot of alpha personalities and not just physically but smart. And I would say across the eras there were very strong females agreed and when we would talk about sort of our interview, you know, things together, I think we all backed that up.
Speaker 4: So to see that in this first episode, I hope it's that that's the standard for the rest to the season because I think it's an important message to sn So yeah, and I think throughout you see and there are times where women are not supporting women and it happens. It happens in real life too, But I think we will see a lot of very powerful moments from women, and you know, I think people will like it and appreciate it.
Speaker 2: This makes me so happy even I'm so glad that they pulled you out of retirement.
Speaker 4: TV. I know, so crazy, what's happening.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm so thankful for you coming and hanging out with Devin and I giving us a little dive into this iconic to watch. But you know, we gotta ask before we get up out of here, is there anything I mean, anything, anything, anything that you can tease to us about this season before we get about of here.
Speaker 4: What should we look out for? We won't tell what can I tease? That's good? Okay, I have kind of a couple of good things. So there are going to be some amazing moments that are going to be you know, forget all the sex, forget the that shit, but real moments where you see people that you think have lost it all and do not have a chance to win. And this is multiple moments and they come through with the end and they win and it changes the entire game. And I think that without really going into too much detail and spoiling it, you're going to see it a few times in the game, and as it was happening, we all were like, holy shit, this is going to be a great, great show, and I think it will keep people on the edge of their seat and just you know, never underestimate people, because usually when you do right, that's the end. So I think I'm excited to watch it. They were very powerful moments for us. You know, there were some eliminations and some challenges that really were monumental in shifting the game in a different direction. So I don't know if that's enough of a spoiler for you.
Speaker 5: It's a good it's a good Caesar and a good start.
Speaker 1: And if anyone wants to watch along with you throughout this season or see what you're up to, where should they follow you?
Speaker 4: On social Instagram. I haven't gotten to TikTok and and I know it's a little I know I have to, but you can follow me at a deep underscore moment Bruno and both my last names there are just in case, you know, but follow me there and that's all I have for now, but eventually maybe more.
Speaker 5: Well, see, it was so good yes to have you here.
Speaker 1: Thank you for stopping by and sharing, and you know, day and I've been a part of this franchise for a long time too, and it's always great to get to connect to you. But you can help pave the way in some way. And you are a challenge camp. Maybe a two time champ, we don't know, because we don't know, but we know your least a one time champ to start, which is amazing.
Speaker 5: So thank you. We're so glad that you're back.
Speaker 1: And as more things happen, we may be messaging you or having you come back so we can get more insight into what Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me so fun. This didn't exist my first season, so look at that.
Speaker 5: They were using smoke signals back.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: You have it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm excited it's coming.
Speaker 4: Y'all out down. I'm excited to thank you so much, ladies.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: You's been a pleasure.
Speaker 3: What an interview.
Speaker 2: I am so glad that have you decided to come by and hang out with us and give us a little inside scoop ala inside tea on the season. But most importantly, I'm so glad that she finally freed herself from the thoughts of what other people are.
Speaker 3: Gonna think about her.
Speaker 4: Right follow she.
Speaker 2: Said I am Aviv and I am here take it a lead, and I am so proud of her and I'm excited to follow her journey as we're following her and the rest of this amazing cast.
Speaker 3: Where can the people follow you, miss devn.
Speaker 5: Ooh, I have some updates for you. Yeah me, not about Davon's YouTube, but.
Speaker 1: Uh, you can always go to my website Devinsmone dot com, Den with the Wissman with an I. You can follow me on Instagram, Devin Smone on TikTok. I'm actually active now on TikTok Devin Simone and the Blue Check. I do live sometimes from there, so check that out as well. I'm on Snapchat now just look for the verified badge there. Devin Simone probably most active on ticking, Instagram, TikTok and Instagram. And then also while we were gone, created a talk show and we are coming back for our new season this Friday at twelve pm Eastern live on Amazon. It's called Just Between Us. I'm executive producing it and co hosting it with some girlfriends, and it's live, so you can come by in the chat and say hi and we will say hi back. Let me know that you're a Challenger and I'll talk to you live. You can watch it on TV, watch it online for free. You can actually just go to just between us live dot com and that'll redirect you right to the episode page. But I would love to see my challengers there. It's a whole lot of fun, so definitely come.
Speaker 5: And check it out day. Where can the people find.
Speaker 3: You watching your Amazon show?
Speaker 2: Because that's where'mis ago and we don't support our sister because that's what we do over here, but it means time in between time. You can find me on all social media platforms at davon Diane.
Speaker 1: Tell all your fellow Challenge bands to listen, rate, and follow the podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yes, and leave us a five star review on Spotify one two, three, four, Fat b Fast, and of course join us every Thursday to hear brand new episodes of MTV's official Challenge podcasts, available wherever you get your podcasts, in
Speaker 5: Any era that you got your podcasts