Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to the clearing House of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere. Welcome to the Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Danny g Radio. Happy Friday, Friday Friday. A very busy fifth Hour today. If you were listening last night on the Overnight Show, you know it is a hectic time for me. And since this is my podcast, Danie'll be back with me tomorrow in on Sunday, kind of give you a blow by blow of what has been going on the last twenty four hours and what is to come this weekend. I am so excited that this is the day before the epic Malard Meet and Greet, the unscheduled, unplanned surprise pop up Malor Meet and Greet, which will be taking place tomorrow. Did the TV show on Thursday back yesterday and of course, I was on the radio all night. Hopefully you heard the overnight show, which is almost as good as like Chicken Forma or Taketos or something like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So I did the overnight show, and then I paused and waited several hours, and then I am now doing this the fifth Hour podcast, and I did not sleep. These are first world problems, so I did not sleep. And my plan is, as soon as I get done with this podcast, I'm going to pack up my suitcase. I'm going to head over to the airport from the North Woods and on my way to Canza City, I will be stopping later today in beautiful Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: I've never been to the airport in Salt Lake City. I had no reason to go to the airport in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 3: But I have a connecting flight from Utah down to Kansas City and that'll be taking place today and I'll hopefully be eating some delicious barbecue by tonight. Looking forward to seeing my friends in Kansas City. It's gonna be a wonderful time, and I would love to meet you if you're in the area, if you got nothing going on, or even if you have something going on and you still want to be there, Come on out tomorrow Liberty, Missouri. We're gonna meet the landing in Liberty from two o'clock till four o'clock in the afternoon. Two hours, probably longer than that, but at least two hours hanging out, schmoozing and the big news. Very excited about this. I've done a lot of these meet and greets over the years. If you follow the show, which you obviously do, you're p one, you're listening to this podcast, then you know that we've done them all over the place, and they're usually small, little deals.
Speaker 1: They're small, you know. I mean, we have a good turnout. We do very well. Some cities we do better than others.
Speaker 3: We've viealing them from Seattle to Boston, to Charleston, South Carolina, to Appleton, Wisconsin, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, a bunch in Los Angeles, did Vegas. We've been all over doing the Mallard meet and greets, and I love doing it. It's a lot of fun. But normally we don't give you anything. We just asked you to show up and hang out with us. We don't have bumper stickers, we have no budget, there's nothing However, big news from our affiliate in Kansas City, the home of this show in Kansas City, ninety six point five on the FM dial, ninety six point five to the fan, which is this FM blowtorch if you're not in Kansas City for those most aren't, and it carries the Chiefs games and the Royals. It's the big sports station in town. And I go on every Thursday. I was on yesterday with my friend Bob Fesco on his morning show. Bob is going to be at the event, and I am told that we will be giving out as far as I know, and I believe this is the correct information, we will be giving away T shirts for ninety six point five to the fans. So not only will you get to come out, and if you spend money, have the Ben Mather chicken fingers and hang out with me.
Speaker 1: You know who am I I'm nobody.
Speaker 3: Never heard of them, but you can hang out with me and then possibly end up with a ninety six point five T shirt who which is kind of cool. And just give me an update on where we are in terms of the listeners that have RSVP. And I'm always luck and I say this every time, I'm reluctant to say, well, so and so is coming. But we've had listeners from Tennessee, Iowa, all over Missouri, Kansas, a couple people from Texas that are planning to make the pilgrimage, probably later today. I would assume if you're unless you're flying, you're going to have to drive. If you're coming from a far distance, you don't have to do that. There's no need to do that. But if you want to do it, I'd be honored to meet you and be great to meet you. I don't know when I'm going to be back in Kansas City, so I will be traveling there today. We have the meet and greet tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the landing. They've honored me all these years with the Ben Mallard chicken fingers, So I'm going to go out there and hang out with the good people at the Landing, and then on Sunday we will have a wonderful time at Arrowhead Stadium. I have been to that sports complex in the past. I was at a Royals game years ago, but have never been to a Chief game, and so I'm very excited about that. I've heard so much about the experienced tailgating at Arrowhead and we'll tell you more about it. I don't even know all the details. I've been invited to a massive tailgate party. A massive tailgate party. There's like a bus that picks you up and takes you out there. So it's going to be next level, next level for sure, so I'm looking for that. We should get a lot of stories to tell here on this podcast and of course the radio show, so it's gonna be fun. And if you listen to this, and you obviously are, I will share everything, every detail, all of that. Consider it my duty. We like to call it a little thing called the malor Travellog, So not only do we have that, but don't forget even though I'm traveling, we're still doing the podcast. I'm gonna be in full on zombie mode because not only did I not get any sleep today and I'm traveling, but I have an early day on Saturday because to have some things to do in Kansas City before the Malard meet and greet, which is two o'clock. So I'm gonna need some kind of heavy duty caffeine, massive caffeine.
Speaker 1: But we'll still do the podcast.
Speaker 3: We will have a fresh podcast for you on Saturday and Sunday again, hopefully with Danny g. But don't forget to watch the TV show. Do not forget to watch the TV show. We had a fun time. We had a good time this week at Universal Studios putting Benny Versus the Penny together. Hopefully you'll enjoy Week ten, Week ten of the NFL season as we break down all the big games. The show actually started airing on Thursday night in some markets, but the big debut is today and you can watch it all over the place regional cable channels from Boston to California and in between.
Speaker 1: So check your local TV listings now.
Speaker 3: If you don't have old school TV, if you're one of those people and I listen, I'm right there with you. I do not have traditional old school cable television anymore. We got rid of it years ago. I used to have direct TV, we got rid of that. Then we went to cable, got rid of that, and now I just have streaming and I watch Benny Versus the Penny on the Peacock. That's right, the Peacock. Now, when the show becomes available on Peacock, I don't really know. I don't really know. Sometimes it's early in the day. Normally it's later in the day. Last week we had a late start. Didn't get on Peacock till late in the day on Friday.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's out of my pay grade. All I know is at some point the newest episode will be up. So if you have the streaming service Peacock not very much money, you can watch the latest episode of Benny Versus the Penny support the show. I got some good shots in on Looney. This week is unloading, and I went rapid fire. If you watch this week's episode, you'll know what I'm saying. I overwhelmed him at one point because he was annoying me. There was something he was doing. He did like four times in the A block of this episode of Bening Versus Benny. Now, this episode of the show red Hot. Now, when I say red hot, I mean next level, next level hot. So I'm done with the TV show. I'm driving home. It's during the day on Thursday, and I'm just minding my own business.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I'm very tired, very tired, right, So I take a lot of caffeine, try to stay awake the whole thing. It's a daytime taping of the TV show. But I work overnight and I don't sleep. I stay stay where I need to be. And I'm driving back and there's a lot of traffic in La, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: But my thing is all right, just I'll drive slow and study.
Speaker 3: My goal is just to not get in an accident because I'm tired, and I'm not that tired. I can't drive, but you you know what I mean, you're tired and all that. So I'm driving back and I had to play what I like to call freeway roulette where or freeway bingo, I guess is the way we would call it. Where you just go on this freeway and that freeway. And if you've ever been to.
Speaker 1: La, if you're in La, you know what I'm talking about. There's a million.
Speaker 3: Different highways, highways and byways, that innercross and all that. So I'm like whatever, I just I type in the destination into the north Woods. I put that in my map, and I'm like, wherever it takes me, I'm there. But I ended up playing freeway bingo and I got on the I think it was the ninety.
Speaker 1: One headed towards knots Berry Farm.
Speaker 3: If you're familiar with LA it's big amusement park.
Speaker 1: Not it's very farm.
Speaker 3: So I'm driving and I see up ahead this massive, massive huff of black smoke and it keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger. And it's off in the distance. It's not near where I am, but it's where I'm going. It's up ahead, and I'm like, okay, whatever, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: Maybe there's a building on fire or something like that.
Speaker 3: And what happens is you get the lookie lose, you get the rubberneckers. So traffic starts slowing down. Mind you, the only reason I'm on this road is because it tells me. It says, well, this is the quickest way or whatever.
Speaker 1: You're faster.
Speaker 3: So I'm getting closer and closer, and I'm realized, like I'm driving right into where the.
Speaker 1: Smoke is coming from.
Speaker 3: This is either right near the highway or it is on the highway and it.
Speaker 1: Just comes to a hole.
Speaker 3: I keep going and the smoke is just getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, what is this?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, man, we're going to get Not only am I driving, I'm gonna get a show.
Speaker 1: It's like entertainment, and of course, no one. You don't want anyone to get hurt and all that.
Speaker 3: So I'm driving and then I get closer. I see like one fire truck had just arrived. It turns out it was not a warehouse that was on fire. It turns out it was actually a car on the road. But not just any car, a garbage truck was fully engulfed, fully engulfed in flames, and no one was attempting to put it out.
Speaker 1: It just the fire.
Speaker 3: It apparently just started when I first saw it, and the fire department was just arriving. There were people running around. The firemen were trying to do their thing. The cops were trying to get the cars.
Speaker 1: Off the road.
Speaker 3: It was wild, man, it was. It was nuts. And I'm on the other side. Now I wasn't, it wasn't on my side of the highway. But I'm driving and I'm like, wow, this is nuts, and you kind of feel the heat a little bit.
Speaker 1: This has happened before.
Speaker 3: I was on my way to Vegas and out in the California desert and I'm driving by and there was this car completely engulfed. But that was like a regular sitay that was like a Toyota or something like this. This was a giant garbage truck, and I don't know what happened. I've heard stories. I don't know if this is what happened here. However, I've heard stories that people are stupid, not you, of course, but other people, because you and I are never stupid.
Speaker 1: Other people are stupid. We're not. They're stupid.
Speaker 3: So I've heard these stories over the years that people often are f ups. And when it comes to trash, you know, there's certain things you're not supposed to throw away because they're highly flammable and they can cause all kinds of problems. Well, oftentimes people either didn't learn that adulting, they're not sure what's going on. But either way, I've heard and I actually did some research when I got back from driving home from Benny Versus the Penny, that apparently this is a regular occurrence if you're a trash man, if you're in the garbage business, and I know some of you guys are, I've heard from you over the years, so you can email me if you want, Real fifth hour at gmail dot com, Real fifth Hour at.
Speaker 1: Gmail dot com and let me know.
Speaker 3: But as I understand it, because people throw away so much stuff that's highly flammable. Trash trucks catch on fire quite a bit, like it happens a lot. And what I've seen videos of I fell down this rabbit hole and more like a trash hole, more like a trash hole. So I'm watching these videos, and so what they do is when the trash piles up up in the back of the truck, they advise you to empty the trash out if it starts smoldering, so that way the truck doesn't burn up, and you just throw the trash down and then it burns up on the road. You call the fire department that put the fire out. Well, this was on a highway and they didn't empty the truck. And I don't even know if that's what led to the fire. I'm just speculating. I didn't see where it began. I just saw the whole thing fully flamed up and it was wacky, whacky. I took a couple of photos of it because why not. You know everyone else is doing it, and that's a great excuse. Why not just go for it. So I did that, and yeah, that was my journey home. My sojourn home from the taping of Benny Versus the Penny, and what a day it was, What a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Day it was.
Speaker 3: And then I got like three hours of sleep and went right back into the studio to get ready for the radio show, which we did overnight. Turning the page from that, it is time now for the phrase of the week.
Speaker 1: That's right, the.
Speaker 3: Phrase of the week, which I don't even know if this counts as a phrase of the week, but we I love words, I love the origins of words. You guys have been great the last month and a half two months. Every week I'm getting multiple messages, Hey, can you I'm lazy, can you look up the origin of X? And sometimes I'm interested, sometimes I'm not. Now, this week, the phrase of the week is grand father clock.
Speaker 1: Grandfather clock is the phrase of the week.
Speaker 3: So why is that specific clock called a grandfather clock?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Is it true? By the way, this was sent in by Mike from southern Illinois. He said the real Illinois, not the Chicago part of Illinois, the real Illinois. And then he says that voted for Trump, which I guess, I don't know, maybe your county did.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't keep trying that.
Speaker 3: But anyway, and it turns out that the origin this is fascinating. So the term grandfather clock does not have anything to do with a grandfather. In fact, the story behind it is bananas right, and it can be traced to a single person, a musician. I fell down a RABBITO. This is from the Oxford English Dictionary. The first known reference to grandfather clock came in eighteen seventy six, So that's a long time ago, but in the big picture, it's not that long ago. There was a songwriter and his name Henry Clay work.
Speaker 1: He must have really loved working.
Speaker 3: So the way the story goes, this guy Henry, he composed a piece of sheet music titled Grandfather Clock or My Grandfather's Clock. Now, in that music, the writer, this guy Henry, relates the story of a clock taller by half than the old man himself, that stood ninety years on the floor.
Speaker 1: And he continues on.
Speaker 3: He said that the time piece kept the time with a soft and muffled chime as his grandfather began slipping away but stop short, never to go again.
Speaker 1: When he passed on.
Speaker 3: That apparently was commissioned to be composed after visiting the George Hotel. You've never been to the Georgiatown The George Hotel in North Yorkshire, England, not all that far away from Terry in England, who loves when I do lists, But I don't do this. I do big boards, Terry, I do big boards. I don't do list anyway, the legendary story, it's just kind of cool. Corner hotel staff at this hotel in the eighteen seventies. The clock they had there had been previously owned by two brothers who once operated the hotel, and when one of the brothers passed away, the clock slowed down.
Speaker 1: When the other brother died, it stopped immediately. Do do do Do Do Do Do? Do? Do? Do Do do poultry geist, haunting, spooky.
Speaker 3: Now most believed the story was bullshit, that it wasn't actually what happened, that it was just a legendary tale. It got passed around people drinking some alcohol, and it was repeated over and over again. They would say to hotel guests, you know, it's kind of like that hotel in Milwaukee were there's this old hotel which is allegedly haunted in Milwaukee and a lot of the baseball teams basketball teams that go through Milwaukee will stay there. It's called I think the Pfiser Hotel. Now, whether or not it's haunted or not, I don't know. I know when I was doing stuff with the Dodgers years ago, they would stay there, and they had a young player who turned out to be a Hall of Fame player named Adrian Beltray who was so afraid of ghosts that he slept with his baseball bat is Louisville slugger in bed, clearly thinking that he could use the bat to take down a non physical being a ghost, Like wouldn't you think if you sway, if you swung, rather you swung a bat at a ghost, it would go right through the ghost because.
Speaker 1: Hello, spoiler alert, it's a ghost. But what do I know?
Speaker 3: Back to the story and the phrase of the week, which is Grandfather Clock.
Speaker 1: So the song was written.
Speaker 3: About this hotel and likely bullcrap just to promote the hotel, and that song took off.
Speaker 1: It was number one on the pop charts.
Speaker 3: With a bullet keep your feet on the ground, I keep reaching for the stars.
Speaker 1: My Grandfather Clock was a big hit.
Speaker 3: And because of the song, that single song written by somebody you'd probably never heard of from long, long ago reclay work in eighteen seventy six. That is why to this day, all these years later, right all, we're looking one hundred and fifty plus years and that term grandfather clock became synonymous with that specific type of clock. Now, clearly those clocks have existed way before the song. And you know what they were called clocks, right, they were called the long case clocks. Prior to that song, the colloquial term grandfather clocks were known as long case or tall case clocks, which.
Speaker 1: Is what they are.
Speaker 3: And then, as we said in the seventeen hundreds, there you go. But there it is the phrase of the week. And oh what a phrase it is, grand father clock. Thanks to our friend from Illinois for sending that interview. Have a phrase that you would like me to look up and try to figure out, moron, or you're just lazy and want me to tell you about it because that's what you're into.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with that.
Speaker 3: I've got a podcast to do every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So reach out to me, send me a message and just maybe maybe your email will inspire the phrase of the week.
Speaker 1: That's right, the phrase of the week.
Speaker 3: So again, email me and Danny g Real fifth hour at gmail dot com. That's Real fifth hour at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: And I might use what you write in.
Speaker 3: Time now for foody Fun because we all got to eat. Hooray for food e fun. Hooray for food e fun. So on this Friday, my mind is all about two things. It's about the Benmallar chicken fingers. I'm gonna have those on Saturday tomorrow. And it's about none other than barbecue. Cannot wait.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hit as.
Speaker 3: Many barbecue restaurants as I can in addition to the Mallard chicken fingers. So we are going to have an absolute field day with the barbecue. But I'm still gonna fast. I'm gonna fast a little less than I normally fast because when in Kansas City, act like a Kansas Citian, and just like when I was in Chicago, had as much.
Speaker 1: Deep dish pizza as I could.
Speaker 3: Well in Kansas City, it's obviously chicken fingers and barbecue, but foody fund is not about that. Footy Fun is about some of the biggest headlines in the foodie world. For example, El Poyo Loco, which is not a national chain. Alpoil Loco is a regional fast food chain. We have one right across the street from Fox Sports Radio Studios in beautiful Shriman Oaks, and there's a lot of celebrities that go in there because they live up in the hills and I guess they like the chicken. So l Poil Loco testing new Mango. How about Narrow Chicken Eight restaurants in southern California, so they're testing this out there in Orange County. Los Angeles is one in LA mostly in Orange County, and they're seeing how that does.
Speaker 1: So if you're interested in that, just look it up.
Speaker 3: Crumble the very delicious, very expensive crumble Cakes, Crumble Bakes, butter cake, and more. But that ends, I believe tomorrow, So you have today and tomorrow for that.
Speaker 1: What else do we have? McDonald's Spicy Nugs.
Speaker 3: These spicy nuggets from McDonald's are back limited location. I also saw the other day that TGI Fridays has filed for chapter eleven.
Speaker 1: You probably heard about that a couple of days ago, and that one.
Speaker 3: It's not surprising because it's tough running restaurants, but that used to be the go to place for ball players late night dining after the game. They were opened late. The food was pretty good, and I remember I spent many when I was in high school. I used to go around getting autographs and sports memorabilia signed, and I remember going to hang out outside of several locations of TGI Fridays, and I used to love the chicken that they had there. But I last ate at a TGI Fridays probably about ten years ago, and it was so bad I said, I'm never going back, and I never went back. Wendy's closing one hundred and forty restaurants. They claim they're all outdated, but they plan on opening news stores in better locations to replace them, allegedly allegedly also McDonald's the fish Fleet the fish er file a sandwich There fish file a tastes different than you remember. Turns out, in twenty thirteen, McDonald switched the fish used in the US from cod to ninety nine percent sustainably sourced. That's a big buzz term Alaskan Pollac, but not Frank Pollack, who used to work at Fox Sports Radio, so they changed the fish.
Speaker 1: I don't know why this is a story now.
Speaker 3: That happened eleven years ago, but here we are anyway now. That'll do it. Have a wonderful rest of your Friday. Don't forget tomorrow. Tomorrow, Tomorrow it is on. I cannot wait to get out to Kansas City. I'll be there tonight and then tomorrow two o'clock till four o'clock. I am going to be hanging out with you at the landing. It's over in Liberty, Missouri, in the Kansas City area.
Speaker 1: Come on out.
Speaker 3: We'll have the Ben Mallard chicken fingers, you can get those, and the big news, the big development. We talked about it last night earlier on this podcast. T shirts Wow. T shirts from the fan in Can City. Have a wonderful rest of your Friday. We're here all weekend long, whether you like it or not. It's a hole in the wall type podcast just for you, and we'll have that for you tomorrow and Sunday.
Speaker 1: Have a great rest of your Friday. Gotta murder, I gotta go