Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Ginger Billy May ninth through the eleventh, Then from White Famous, catch Jay Farrow ME sixteenth and seventeenth, and don't miss Rocky Dane Davis ME twenty third and twenty fourth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five, nine, two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com Comedy Byway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone. This is Kentucky Sports Radio, Wednesday, May the seventh. I'm Matt Jones here on an early morning in Scottsdale, Arizona. He give us a shout. We're gonna do and ask anything Wednesday, anything you want. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna start taking calls early, so go ahead and get in a five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Any UK basketball or just question about life or things on the show. A Vision Autoglass Auto Glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four in this dish sponsored by the t J Smith lofas you call TJ. I'll make him pay. Ryan and Drew are back in the studio in Lexington. Shannon is in Louisville, and I guess I'll start with you. Drew. How'd it go getting back? You got back late into the night, but it sounds like back safe and sound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Uh, smooth flight, no complications. But with the time change and having to drive back from Cincinnati. I got in bed a little after one am. So Mario, he's sitting here here next to me. We're a little winded, but uh, it was still a fun trip where we're glad to be back, and it was smooth traveling.
Speaker 3: Well. Good it felt like yesterday you took it a little easier, Drew, maybe than you did the day before.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't have to drive yesterday. I had to take Mario home. I was the I was the transportation from CVG okay.
Speaker 3: Good, well, because you you know, you had a big weekend. I felt like I saw forty eight hours of the old Drew Franklins to it still out there, you know at Nolan Ryan at the age of thirty nine, throwing heaters am I right about that.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you know, it started on the golf course. I was enjoying some transfusions. Then you put me near a lazy river. I gotta do some laps on the lazy river. So even though as Mario was telling people it was a business trip, it felt like a little vacation you guys, for a couple of days, it.
Speaker 3: Was fairly a business trip. Ryan, you, first of all, you would have been proud. We didn't really get to talk about Drew Franklin his golf round. We played TPC Scottsdale, and Ryan, you would have thought Drew was a young Arnold Palmer out there. First of all, he had probably nine loaded Arnold Palmers through the course around and then you know, as the round went on. I've played golf with Drew for seventeen years. I don't think I've ever seen him play as well. He was firing at pins, making birdies, ended up shooting eighty, and it was you know, when you play golf with me, it's gentlemen, but his wasn't even that much of a gentleman. He kind of earned the eighty outside of you know, maybe one ball off the tee where we let him hit it twice. I was pretty impressed.
Speaker 4: I had a breakfast ball and one foot wedge. I was behindcasting he did.
Speaker 3: He did take Shannon a pretty big foot wedge. I can't say anything all right, I was spraying it all over the course, but I will give him credit. Right. It was an impressive round of golf from mister Franklin.
Speaker 5: We talked about it before the show and he said he hadn't played really much in the last ten years. Step on this nice course. One was see on TV all the time, and he was just hitting green after green after green, nailing it.
Speaker 3: It's a different course, though, Drew Without the bleachers. You know they play, they play the waste management open at the course, but you take all those bleachers out, it doesn't I mean, it's a nice course, but it doesn't feel like you would think it would feel if you only watched that tournament, wouldn't you agree?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and especially sixteen without the stadium, it just felt like I was playing any other part three. I mean, I'm still a bucket list experience. I loved it, but the bleachers had been there too, and maybe even the crowd if we could have had a lot of screaming people. Uh, they were watching. But that was that was a lot of I've never played desert golf, so like if you spray one right or left, you can see it from one hundred yards away because it's just sitting out there on sand.
Speaker 6: That kind of helped us a little bit. But uh, fun round.
Speaker 4: That was honestly the best I've probably played since high school, back when I was actually DC. I've got the itch. I've got the itch to to take it up and play more of the summer.
Speaker 3: Shannon, I, I was the other way I did. I did not play well. I when I went to the to the practice range, you know, since the last time I played, I fell on my leg. Remember this is what happens when you get old. You just start falling, things start hurting. I had the broken wrist. I think I have tendonitis in my EBow. Goodness. And I went out there, yeah exactly. And I went out there on the practice range and I thought I may not get the ball off the ground. The way this is worked like it was, it was brutal. Now, you know. I settled down and I played okay. I probably shot mid eighties. But that was pretty gentlemanly too, giving me, you know, a couple of as you know, as Drew would call them, breakfast balls. What I do like about this course is there's houses shannon surrounding them that have walls up to keep the balls out, so it's almost like playing bumper golf. Sometimes if you hit it far enough right, it bounces off people's walls and comes right back in the fairway, which is exactly how I like a golf course to be.
Speaker 2: If I'm gonna play, I better have something like that. Otherwise I'm gonna be in everybody's backyard and you know, knocking balls through windows. So that might be a place that even I would have a chance at.
Speaker 3: And Drew, you had nine transfusions. That's a drink which I had never nine during the course of the round, which was which is I think one for the books.
Speaker 6: Well, he played so well, you know, I had to get loose, had to be loose a little bit. In the first round of the year. I had a couple of my two worst holes.
Speaker 3: Those transfusions. Just for those keeping score at home, it was the cheapest drenk in the world.
Speaker 4: Know, they were I want to say, a fourteen US dollars and I'm a pretty good tipper. Especially on the golf course, so they added up. But I mean, Matt, I thank you. Matt picked up the tab on the golf which was pretty outrageous. Would have to say that number if you don't want to, So thank you to Matt for that. That way, you know, I bought Matt's diets coat coax. He had two of those. I think it was a fair trade off. There's a fair trade off.
Speaker 3: I paid his I paid his fee on a very expensive golf book. He got me a couple of tight cokes and then beat me right. It was a perfect It was a perfect way to go play golf.
Speaker 5: Sounds even, I gotta admit. I mean I had a little fomo. You guys seem like you're having so much fun out there. I missed you guys. It's good to kind of be bad out here.
Speaker 3: That's were you were you what you saw the pictures and heard us laughing on the show? Were you like a sad billy at home feeling left out during it? Or or or you were you? Okay, No, I was.
Speaker 7: I was having a little foamo during the shows. When you guys are laughing, he gets a little slap happy.
Speaker 3: We're on the road.
Speaker 5: You know I missed that part of it, but you know, i'd see you guys pictures. I had to ask these guys this morning, who is the dude that had the big, oversized hat, Who is the dude you slammed a beer with?
Speaker 7: Who is the young blonde dude? I didn't know any of those guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean they're like barstool pit picked. To be honest with you, I didn't know a lot of those dudes. I mean I knew I had heard their names over the years, but like the you know what was interesting to me, Ryan, were how many people there that were part of that community that not only knew us, were fans of us because they were from like SEC schools. Right. So, the Dana Beers guy had visited UK's campus. I found out that he had been to one of our remotes, Ryan, with this dude Caleb Presley, who's gotten very big. He told me they went to one of our remotes like ten years ago, which I didn't know I had no memory of, but he said they went interviewed people at the remote and that they didn't talk to us, but he remembered it very well. Ryan, I had no idea that even occurred.
Speaker 7: No clue, you know, you didn't ever know who's out there. There's mystery people show up at remotes over the years. I have no idea to like a year later though, So yeah, I was there that that show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys, you guys definitely look sharp on your pictures at the bet gallat you guys all dressed toom pressed for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes, well we did. That's I think the best form of us that can exist. And then Shannon last night Mario released the video of while we were at the event.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: I went up to Dave Portnoy and I said, hey, you don't have to do this. I know this is your event, but DraftKings wants me to kind of put out some sort of interview with somebody here. Would you do it? And he said yes, So we do this interview and I basically decided, you know, Shannon, I mean, I'm not I'm not gonna play Mike Wallace with him, and I ask hard hitting questions. You know, he's been involved in these little controversies right now, and I wasn't gonna get into that. I just was gonna ask him about Kentucky, right So, I don't know, did you see the interview.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it yet, but I'll go back.
Speaker 3: I asked him. I asked him, uh, whether or not who his favorite Kentucky player of all time was? And he said no one, that he's dislike everybody, which I did respect it. I thought, Shannon, that would be your kind of answer. Somebody came up to you from like a Kansas show and said, who's your favorite Kansas player? You just say nobody. But there were two things that stuck out to me besides that. One. I asked them if he owned the horses. He said yes, and he said they were in Kentucky. And I said what farm? And he said, I don't know now. Well, but he said he was the sole owner or the primary and he doesn't know what the farm is. Drew, what's your reaction to owning a horse as the primary owner and not knowing what farm it is? Is that just like you are so rich, you don't even know where you keep your horses.
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 4: And after I just watched on the plane the Netflix show, I feel like I'm an expert on horse racing now, and I'm most of those guys that I were watching on the show, they were even they were even working.
Speaker 6: At the farms with their horses.
Speaker 4: So it sounds like Dave might have just kind of check to get his name on a stable there.
Speaker 2: I would be chipping it. I wouldn't know it's exact location at all times.
Speaker 3: What do you mean chipping?
Speaker 2: You know, like if you put those like little trackers on it, like a chip.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's chip. Was like, okay, I thought that was like a form of working out the horse that I wasn't you know, as an owner, I need to know, Yeah, you do. Secondly, the video, Ryan, if you watch it, Drew comes drunkly stumbling in the background, and he walks through the shot in the middle of the shot, and Dave stops the interview to call Drew out for just walking in the shot. And if you want to see Drew at his old school finest form, you need to watch that video because Mario does great cam work. He pans to Drew and Drew has a look on his face that I haven't seen since like ten rouf twenty fourteen, something like that. And Ryan, I have to say that that made me giggle, and it's now out there for people to see.
Speaker 4: No, actually, you all were in my way. I didn't get in the way of the shot. I had somewhere I needed to be and you all were in the path.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one way to look at it. Da let me guess right, you too haven't seen the video, right?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 7: No, I saw it. And that's my favorite part of your whole trip.
Speaker 5: I think the thing is, I mean, Drew knows who you are, he sees you doing an interview with Mario.
Speaker 7: Doesn't matter, I'm gonna walk right in the shot anyway.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't see anything there. It was getting pretty dark at that point in the evening.
Speaker 7: Of all people to Gala.
Speaker 3: Yes, he just walks right through. And Dave goes right to this guy just walking right through the shot, and I said, well, he's one of ours. He was like, I know, and you just said, Drew just sits over there.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dave, I think I had to go see Josh Richards. It goes talk to my boy in the corner.
Speaker 3: You all were in my.
Speaker 2: Way on a mission to get another transfusion.
Speaker 3: Then, So it was ultimately it was. It was a lot of fun and I'm here now till tomorrow. I went last night to the Diamondbacks mets on that Ryan. That's a nice stadium. Have you ever you ever been there before?
Speaker 5: They've never been there, but Donald the people who have said they loved that stadium there in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Very nice stadium, kind of you know what. It's sort of like mixture between. It's a little bit like the Red Stadium in terms of how old and uh and and and and nice it is. They actually the Diamondbacks won the game. You know who I got to see play Ryan? It was my boy who Hano was actually got up to h to bat. I got to say his name and with all those syllables. That was fun. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Good seats behind a couple of rolls behind the dugout to It looked like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, if you're gonna go, you gotta sit there, sit there and sit there, don't.
Speaker 7: They used to have a like a jacuzzi in the outfield. They still had that. Did you see that?
Speaker 3: I did not see a jacuzzi. There might still be one out there. I didn't, Uh, I didn't see one. It was they were playing the Mets. There were probably more Mets fans there than Diamondbacks, right, all the New Yorkers I guess who live uh in Arizona? I mean there, it was it was like a Mets home game in terms of who people were cheering for. That's got to be weird, Shannon. When you live in a place, and even in your own place, you don't get the most fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never I've never, in real life ever met an Arizona Diamondbacks fan because I'm from Kentucky.
Speaker 3: But I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see any any fans out here.
Speaker 3: It's got a hat because they have a lot of good, cool colors. But you're right, the Arizona Diamondbacks. Does anybody know an Arizona Diamondbacks fan?
Speaker 2: No, anybody?
Speaker 3: Okay. So they had a race in the middle of the race what they called the four greatest Diamondbacks of all time. They had big boss heads, you know, and they ran around in a costume. Let's play a little game here. Can you name the four according to Arizona greatest Diamondbacks they ever had? Who they used in the race?
Speaker 2: Randy Johnson.
Speaker 3: Randy Johnson was in there, shilling one. He won the race. Randy Johnson's and his his bobblehead was a lot taller than the other one, and he and he won the race. Kurt Shilling did not I wonder if his controversial comments over the years. Luis Gonzalez was in that's two. Can you name the other two? One? I'm not the council Craig Counsel is not on it.
Speaker 7: Steve Finley.
Speaker 3: Steve Finley he was on that team with was not on it? What Webb was not on it?
Speaker 6: No, that's all I got. I'm out these.
Speaker 3: Two players that are also famous for other teams. Anybody got a last guess?
Speaker 10: Hm hmm, No, can't take them one twice, Mark gracemt Mark Grace and Matt Williams.
Speaker 2: Williams, Yeah, that was on the backside of his career after the Giants, Him and Grace both backside of their career.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the four that were on there, I mean. And so there you go. There's your Arizona Diamondbacks baseball update, which is what everybody was looking for. If I'm nine two, go ahead.
Speaker 2: What about a Reds update? How they've been doing the last year?
Speaker 3: The're doing really well. If I'm not eighty seven, I haven't seen the results the last couple of nights. Yeah, but I don't think they played. I think they had it. They've had an off weekend. We'll take a break. Take your calls. It's ask anything Wednesday to see is Kentucky Sports Radio Welcome back? It is Kentucky Sports Radio. If I'm notine two eight twenty two eighty seven, text machine seven seven two four five two five four, we have some breaking news here, Shannon running. No. No. The Kentucky Louisville basketball game this year will be played November the eleventh, on a Tuesday night in Louisville at the Young Center. It will be the second week of the season, likely Kentucky's third game of the year after their first game in the Champions Classic. So November the eleventh, that is ryan the earliest I ever remember the Kentucky Louisville game. Apparently they played the very first one earlier in the year in nineteen eighty three. But besides that, the earliest it's ever been. We've become used to it being in December for a long time. It was like the first week of December, and then it became kind of the last week of December. But I don't remember it ever being the second week of November. What do you think about playing them that early in the year.
Speaker 5: I don't like it at all, to be honest, I really don't like it. I don't like it it's even before the Louisville football game. It just seems so odd and old Awkwards.
Speaker 3: It will be before the Louisville football game. One. It's weird. Man, that's crazy, isn't it. Yeah, that's crazy. I don't like it, Drew. I think, you know, especially if it had been during the cal era where you had all those freshmen, it would have been even worse. But still, I mean, in this transfer portal era that you're gonna barely know your team at that point, both teams, because Louisll's doing the same thing. So it just feels like I've always thought that game should be in like February and just to when college basketball really matters. I don't know that that'll ever happen, but it feels like November eleventh is way too early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like most people, maybe even everyone, I absolutely hate it. I hate it for several reasons. I hate that it's a Tuesday. I hate that, as Ryan said, it's before the football game. It actually is the earlier this has ever been played. It was on the November twenty sixth, then eighty three. I looked up all the games. There's been like three in November, ever, but they were all late November. I mean, third game of the year. Jaden Quayt's no chance he'll be available. It could have been close if it was in his normal place. Still, don't really know your teams. I just I despise it. And it's my wedding anniversary, not that anyone cares about, that's true. I'm gonna have the pressure of having a Louisville game when I should be out celebrating.
Speaker 6: Just absolutely despised while they did this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess they did it because the This is just my guess. Because Louisville is hosting, the ACC starts their play this year. They're doing twenty games again. Now starting next year, I think they're going back to eighteen, but they have one more year of twenty games, and I think they start conference play in December. You may remember last time they played a couple conference games before they played US, So I'm gonna guess that since they're hosting, they moved it up. I don't know that, but that's my guess. But Shannon, I just really hated. I mean, part of college basketball is rivalries, and I feel like you need to get your team going, you know, and I just I think that'll be for both teams. I just don't think it really tells you anything about the team in a time where I think the game should matter.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm with you, guys. I don't like it being played that early. But is it weird that I don't like it even more than it's on a Tuesday. The Tuesday night game bothers me more than the November eleventh game before, though, And he's.
Speaker 3: Done that before over the years where it was on Sometimes it's been on like a Wednesday afternoon or stuff something like that. But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Doesn't a big game for me if it's on a Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: Well here's my guess. Yeah, but that's probably how they got the game on ESPN, though, wouldn't you think, Ryan, Because it's college football season, so you're not going to get that game on ESPN on So now, remember both these teams have ESPN contracts. I bet you the only way they could get that game on ESPN in November was to play it on Tuesday night. You think that's probably what happened.
Speaker 5: I'm sure that probably played into it. But you know, most of the world is still all in on college football until December, So I think think this game will kind of get lost in the shuffle with how big it is for all of us. I just I don't like anything about it. I mean, I don't like it at all.
Speaker 3: It may get lost, I will say Tuesday night, Remember that's when they'll bring that there won't be any college football games. That's when they'll bring out the playoff rankings. I bet they somehow incorporate that into this broadcast. But yeah, I don't like it, unfortunately, But that may just be the modern reality. When you want to play these rivalry games during college football season, you're probably gonna have to manipulate your schedule around the college football schedule, and you end up with Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Your argument has always been a good one. Like to play it in February. I erected when Tennessee played Memphis that a couple of years in a row. That was like in early February, and it was the biggest game of the season. Why that's what that to.
Speaker 3: Me, that's what y'atta do. But the but it's clear that these programs don't want to do that because they say, oh, we're all wrapped up in conference play. To me, that would be what would make the most sense. Who's up first, Patrick, Patrick? It's asked anything Wednesday, So bring it. What do you got, Patrick? Hey Mann?
Speaker 9: First time? Long time?
Speaker 3: Who what what's up? Hey?
Speaker 9: I wanted to ask about a non conference schedule. I know y'all were just talking about it. I wanted to ask when we might get it finalized, because I know Perdue just finalized theirs yesterday, and I know they just announced when the Louisville game is. I want to just get your opinion on when that might get finalized, and also if there are any opponents, intriguing opponents we might get announced that we haven't had announced that next it's.
Speaker 3: The next one to two weeks. You know, Pope mentioned there was going to be another big opponent, Drew. Do you think he meant Perdue in the exhibition or do you think he meant one more than that.
Speaker 4: I would assume Perdue, but I don't know he could surprise us that another one. But it's already pretty stacked a non conference slate of what we already know, all the games out there.
Speaker 3: I mean right now, just so you know, Patrick, they got Michigan State in the Champions Classic. They play at Louisville, they play at home against Indiana. Gonzaga in Nashville they play an ACC game at home. I am gonna guess that's Duke, although I don't know for sure, but I just kind of feel like that's where it's headed. And then the CBS Classic they'll play Saint John's. I mean, that's a pretty loaded non conference schedule if that ends up being what it is. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 9: I just wanted to also have a I have a theory for why the Louisville game is so early. Remember that the Indiana game had to get moved back a week because of the CBS Classic. Well, remember that last year we played Louisville on the fourteenth, which was a Saturday. We're playing Indiana on the thirteenth, which is a Saturday. So that's why we're having to plan a two days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're probably right, and you're probably exactly right about that. Yeah, I appreciate the call. That's if you were wanting an explanation, I think you probably articulated exactly what it was that and getting it on ESPN because the last couple years beg on one, ESPN two. Sometimes we'll take a break, be right, back ask anything Wednesday KSR.
Speaker 6: TJ. Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 3: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Jones, Welcome back, and he is Kentucky Sports Radio Ryan uh Mark Grace apparently was a TV announcer for the Diamondbacks for a long time after he played, So that might explain why he's on the the Bobblehead run right Like, that makes more sense.
Speaker 5: I remember him being with the Diamondbacks at all, just with the Cubs for all those years he.
Speaker 3: Was on him, But I don't know what he did.
Speaker 2: He might have been on that World Series team. I can't remember if.
Speaker 3: He might have been. Actually Matt Williams, I remember his Diamondbacks career less as a matter of fact, not at all would be But you know, who else are they gonna put? Right Like, who else they gonna put out there? They got to be retired, you know, I guess you could do Brandon Webb.
Speaker 5: But yeah, somebody reminded us that Trinity and Bellarman grad and Fought is one of their starting pitchers right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think they'll have a bibble ahead of him yet though, since he's still on the team. I realized when I looked at their lineup, Shannon, no idea who those people were. They had a guy named Carol who I think won the Rookie of the Year a year or two ago, and then Hu Haano and then the rest of the people could have been in the witness protection Braud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at their roster right now. I don't even think I recognize any names.
Speaker 3: I didn't know any of the people. I knew a few people on the Mets. They had Juan Soto, Pete Alonzo. I think there's like fifty Martes in baseball, and there was one of them on there, Sterling maybe, But I didn't know a lot of those guys either. I basically know all the Reds and no one else. That's kind of my baseball But.
Speaker 5: Basically mentioned they do yesterday and they were been off for the last few days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they've been off. Just don't don't worry about them. You worry about the other times ago. They're just taking time. Like they're just taking time, uh, Drew. The Kentucky Leivell game is gonna be before the Champions Classic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was gonna add that Kentucky is on.
Speaker 3: The eleventh, the Champions Classic is on the eighteenth, So that means the Kentucky Louivell game is gonna be the second game of the year.
Speaker 6: The Champions Classic.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes it has been the first game of the year until these last few years, but it always feels like the start of college basketball season and now you're gonna put our biggest rivalry game. Even before that, it's just gonna everything is just so different about this.
Speaker 3: They're saying that they're gonna use the first two days that Tuesday and Wednesday to sort of kick off ESPN's coverage, and that this will be the first game that they use to kick off ESPN's national coverage. Does that do you like that? Does that make it any better? Ryan?
Speaker 11: Not?
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 5: Like I said, I think we're so engrossed with college football still at that point. I don't think it's just gonna kind of get lost in the shuffle. Even though there's if their first game of college basketball, those early November games, we all crowds are down, the viewership.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna be down though for this one.
Speaker 6: Nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean, like like we're gonna care I mean, I guess the theory is, if you're gonna play basketball in early November, you gotta do something shandon to gets people's attention, right, So put Kentucky and Louisville together, right? Is that you think that's the theory?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the Champions Classic on a Tuesday night. For me, it's just all about tradition and me being stuck in my ways and liking it on the weekends.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, I mean, no, I prefer it on the weekends too. I mean, the Champions Classic was always early in the year. It'll be it'll be interesting to be a big game, be a way that people will sort of judge what kind of team we're gonna who's up there.
Speaker 4: Three days after we play Florida and football, which that normally is early in the season.
Speaker 6: So it's just gonna be so weird.
Speaker 3: What if we won both those games?
Speaker 6: That would be awesome.
Speaker 3: Now, that would be an awesome week. Uh, but you know, let's be optimistic. Who's next? Sherry, Cherry, go ahead, Cherry ask anything Wednesday? I share.
Speaker 8: I mean, hanging by head, I just wondering, you know, I'm crazy anyway, I was just wondering, did cal and Jacob toppin have issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if they had issues. I think that whole team Jacob Topping was on. He was on the team for a two year period that I think there was just a lot of turmoil around the team. Depending on who you ask, you'll get different people that are sort of blamed for the turmoil. I never heard Jacob Topping being one of them, to be honest with you, but I think there were people who during those two years thought Cal wasn't at his best. Oscar was a, you know, a figure that was amongst the team, a little controversial, severe wheeler, maybe a little bit, But I don't think I think Jacob was kind of caught up in that. But I don't think. I never heard of Jacob as as a reason, to be honest, I just.
Speaker 8: Wondered because I always really liked him, and he always things just but you know, sometimes you would sing him like get a rebound, and Oscar would kind of grab at it, you know, I mean, Oscar, you.
Speaker 3: Know it's time. I appreciate the call. I mean, he is asked anything Wednesday, Drew. I don't how would you describe Oscar's relationship with his teammates. I mean, I don't think it's fair to say that over those two years, Oscar's teammates did not like him. I don't think that's fair. But I also think it was a difficult relationship, especially the second year. I do think that there were It was just it was how would you describe it? Rather than rambling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, first, I was going to add to the top in question, he was pretty open about having some mental health issues behind the scenes that season. Now I don't I don't know if that was tied to John Callen Perry at all, but Top and mentioned being in a dark place. I think it was his second year. He was pretty open about that that he had some struggles. I'm not connecting those to cal but that could help her with their question there.
Speaker 6: But with Oscar, he was just a different dude. I mean, I don't even know.
Speaker 4: Might be part jealousy, might be part like, all right, this guy's out here signing autographs for two hours again. You know, it was almost like Oscar was painted as this perfect guy and behind the scenes that might have just gotten a little annoying to everyone else. Not that they were bad dudes or anything, but when Oscar's just constantly out trying to be this perfect human. I think it might have made it a little harder behind the scenes too.
Speaker 3: I think there was just there was definitely a disconnect between Oscar, she Way and the rest of the team. And I think as Oscar was such a popular figure around the UK fan base, I don't think that. I think the other guys there were just some some thoughts about that, and I think, you know, and then in the severe, I think was probably the most liked person on the t and also the one that took the most criticism from the fans, and I think that made it hard and Ryan. I just think that combined for a year or two, but especially the second year, where it just wasn't a great environment around the program.
Speaker 5: I don't think anybody will ever fault Oscar for what he did on the court. I mean, the guy worked his butt off. He was he brought his lunch pale every day. But I think off the court, I think was, you know, the favors he got and some things he got to do, I think kind of did create some issues with the other teammates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's fair. And then you add to it all the cow stuff, you know, that was part of the when we would talk about sort of the environment around the team, that was part of the negativity. Now, to be fair, that next year with Reid, rob Antonio, Reeves, etc. It was better like it was more like the previous years. It's still though ended in losses and the and the Oakland loss, but the two years prior were not the best years to be around the locker room. And I think, you know, there's a lot there's probably a number of people that can be blamed for that.
Speaker 2: Who's next, Shame from Grayson, Shame from Grayson?
Speaker 3: How are you.
Speaker 12: On the gold bailers?
Speaker 3: It's good?
Speaker 12: Hey, Hey, would you would you trust a I to take over the shortage for the air caraft and controllers? Would you get on a plane that AI is controlling the skies or any other critical infrastructure?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't, But I will note that, like, that's kind of what in twenty years people will probably laugh at that, Shannon, that notion. But right now, with how vulnerable it seems things are to hacking, Shannon, I would always want to have a human like able to kind of take over. And maybe that's naive because maybe you know, I know a lot of that stuff is run by computers anyway. But wouldn't you shann like to have at least a human at some point?
Speaker 6: I would.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that if you tell me in twenty years AI is taken over, I'm gonna tell you in twenty years, I stop flying. But then you are really really yeah, no people at all. But then, but then you also have to think about it on the other side a little bit. We're trusting humans every day that we don't we don't know them, we don't know sabotage us if they wanted to, just like a computer could. So at some point you had to put your trust. I guess I just trust a human you can do.
Speaker 3: You can't leave your house. You can't leave your house unless you trust in other humans. At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're on the road, ivy like.
Speaker 3: Because you're on the road with them, they cook your food, you know, they they fix your car, they do all this. See, you have to trust humans. But yeah, I mean, if you told me it was all AI, Yeah, that wouldn't make me nervous. It also probably though, would lead to things not being It might be more efficient, but then you could have a catastrophic breakdown. That's much worse because nobody could fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, what if none of the planes in the air can land because there was a glad and somebody had to hit control all delete?
Speaker 3: What if like some terrorists hacked it and they told them all to crash into each other. Yeah, yeah, you know, just it's it's scary. I don't want to think about it. It's early in the morning to hear shade. Why did you do that? She shading grace at eight five nine two eight twenty two eighty seven. Ask anything Wednesday, stop overpaying for sunglasses. Check out Shady Rays in the American owned company started right here in Kentucky. Premium polarized shades for every activity. They are perfect by providing ultimate color enhance visibility. Uh. I left my Shady Rays at home and was wearing a different pair of sunglasses, and I noticed that when it came to the golf course, it did the reflection wasn't as good. So I came back put on the Shady Rays and I said, you know what, that's why I wear those. Shady Rays offers the best protection programming in the industry. Try the entire collection in person at They're Lexingdonner, Louisville location. It is Shady Rays or Shady Rays dot Com. We'll take a break and be right back. It's Kentucky Sports Radio run back. You know I love this song shah, Yeah, yeah, this is one of my You know, if I do the top one hundred, this is gonna be honest.
Speaker 2: Learning to fly Tom Petty for the podcast listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad you do that. Because you do, you still put the songs out. It feels like it's more important. Okay, you do because it feels like it's more important you do that now than ever.
Speaker 2: Right, because if you're listening on podcasts, you don't get.
Speaker 3: The full experience, no way of no.
Speaker 2: It's alive.
Speaker 3: If we do one hundred is because the toughest part will be I'll have to make sure I say the name every time because the people on the podcast won't hear it. But maybe they can play it themselves. All right, go ahead, right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: The best part about the podcast is when you know Shannon has to drop the music, but you're singing.
Speaker 7: If all we hear is your voice singing, that's the best part.
Speaker 3: Earlier, I feel like those are pretty good, though, I mean, I feel like people seem to enjoy my voice. Like when I was singing Hungry Eyes, Yeah that was it. People thought that was that was really on key and uh beautiful, that's what I heard movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I didn't have to touch it up with auto tune or anything. It was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, I'm like, I forget Sabrina Carpenter. I uh am able to do that. Conclave has just started moments ago, the official conclave to pick the new pope Drew this. We all now know this because of the movie. Did everybody here end up watching the movie? I know Ryan did. Did you too watch it?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yep, I guess I'm the only one who has not seen that yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, so literally I just saw on a number of websites the lead story is the conclave. Uh. The gambling sites have all put betting nods on it. There's no doubt people are more interested in this. Can you ever remember, Drew, Ryan, anyone ever caring about this before, at least like even having any notion of who was gonna be right? Has anyone ever cared?
Speaker 6: I don't know, not me.
Speaker 5: What the movie makes us all feel like we're experts now we know what's going on.
Speaker 7: What they're doing is we.
Speaker 3: Don't know who the people are. I mean no, but it's not like it's not like anybody's kept up with who these I mean, do they go? Is it bishop's cardinals? Who are there? I think they're looking at three? Aren't they looking for cardinals?
Speaker 5: Isn't that the cardinals to gather, right, And they're in the existing chapel, and they had the secret votes where according to the movie, it's pretty Actually they write their name on a piece of paper and put it in some holy jar.
Speaker 3: They call it. I don't I don't know for sure. I watched the movie, but I don't remember. I don't think they call it a holy jar. I think it's probably got a bit a more important name than jar, like you would jelly. I think it's got another name. But go ahead.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the cardinals, like they call it just amongst themselves, the holy jar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I think that's right. But yeah, and then uh, you know, they keep voting, and I think they have to have what do they have to have through two thirds or something before it's over, before you have a pope something like that.
Speaker 4: Oh goodness, Even though I just saw the movie. I don't even know the answer to that, and I know, yeah, the last one day, so I'm taking the over this time around.
Speaker 3: Yeah the movie. It took a number of days. Yes, but Pope Francis, it feels like the one that just passed away. He was a pretty uh pretty much everybody was good with him, with with with him having it. But yes, people are betting on it. How much of a degenerate, Drew do you have to be to bet on who the next Pope is gonna be? Because part of the part of the thing is that there's no leaks, right, they lock them in there, take their phones, can't even know what's happening in the world. You gotta be kind of a degenerate to bet on it, which makes me think you're gonna place a bet on it at some point.
Speaker 6: I've bet on some dumb stuff. This would be.
Speaker 4: This would be, I think, the wildest thing to bet on. I mean, I'm looking right now. It has guys names.
Speaker 3: Okay, read me the favorites. Read me the favorite.
Speaker 6: Okay, Pietro Polan he's the favorite star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's good. Say where they're from? Does it say where they're from? Uh?
Speaker 4: Not on the site I'm on, but I could probably come up with it, Okay, all right? Right behind him is Filipino cardinal Luis anti O Tagle. He's a close second favorite.
Speaker 3: Shannon, can I you know I picked Sovereignty. I think I'm gonna pick Luis and Tago. What's his name again? Luise and Tago?
Speaker 4: Okay, I just changed websites to go find out more. I'll get back to you right on that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I'm picking him. Louise? Is it? Luise is my guy? Didn't give me one or two? Give me one or two others.
Speaker 6: I'm still pulling it up. That only listed the.
Speaker 3: Odds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a pulp power ranking. Like I didn't know it was such a thing existed. Can I a lot draft games and get like a no sweat back?
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. What I want to do is, amongst the four favorites, we each need to pick our cardinal that we're rooting for.
Speaker 6: Three that are really popular.
Speaker 4: I named Pietro, all right, Luis Antonio Tagle, he's the second, and then Peter Turkson is.
Speaker 3: Taking Luise Antonio Tagle. Shandon, who you got?
Speaker 2: What's the what's the options again? I don't know all these names.
Speaker 3: Petro Luis and what and and Peter.
Speaker 7: Give me, give me, give me the Peter.
Speaker 3: You want the Peter? All right? What about you, Drew. I guess you get Petro.
Speaker 4: Okay, you get to Actually I found I'm gonna go long shot. I got Matteo Zuppy. Matteo Zuppy, that's my guy.
Speaker 3: Okay, good name.
Speaker 6: If you want.
Speaker 4: Pierre Bautista Pizza Bala was last name? Is really pizza Bala?
Speaker 3: That's his name? Okay, hang on, his name is Pierre, but Bautista Pizza Bala.
Speaker 6: Yeah, spelled just like you would spell pizza Bala b a l l A.
Speaker 3: That's a great name. Pierre Bautista Pizza Baala. I feel like that.
Speaker 6: I think I want him.
Speaker 3: That's a pope that I think can unify the world. Right there. People like wrestling, they like Batista, they like pizza. Pierre is a French name. Let's get him. Well, we will keep you up to date on Conclave twenty five. How long If they said how long, they think it's gonna take one day to look.
Speaker 6: After that, I found information on him.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: Pizza Bla is the youngest on the board by far. He's only fifty nine. The other guy's oh look it's seventy six. U seventy sixty nine. Yeah, Pizza Balla, he's look.
Speaker 3: At nine year old. He could be Pope for like the next twenty five years.
Speaker 2: It is a longevity in our pope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that could be a pope that's very stable ryan and stays in office for a long time.
Speaker 5: You know, when you earned the right to be pope, you did you change your name? If I was him, I wouldn't change my name. I'd be Pope Pizza Bala.
Speaker 4: The story actually says his relative youth may hurt him and his chances of getting solect.
Speaker 3: I would think it could hurt you because if they don't like what you're doing, you're stuck there for a long time. Who's next?
Speaker 2: He says, he with Pizza Bola would visit on a bicycle. Don't you want your pope ridning a bicycle rather.
Speaker 3: Than the popemobile? He rides a bi Yeah. Can you see the Pope riding down the street, just dinging his bell? Hello Pope coming through.
Speaker 2: That's by Pope right there all right.
Speaker 4: His favorite pot pet Pietro. He's been the deputy pope for for twelve years. That's why he's the.
Speaker 3: F Yeah, that's true. Worked hard. If he gets passed over for pizza ball, I think he's going to be very upset when it's over. Next Mike, Mike, go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I know why Mark Grays is a bibblehead for Ari Zone.
Speaker 3: Okay, what.
Speaker 11: He went there from count for two or three years and he hit the base hit Bob of the night, two outs, run around, win the World Series?
Speaker 3: Well there you go? Is he if? If he got the hit to win the World Series? That makes perfect sense why he's one of the bibbles. He's like there, Sid Breen if you if you're thinking about.
Speaker 11: It, it's all got boys.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate good information. Uh ask anything Wednesday? Who's next ship?
Speaker 2: All right, quickly, let's go to Gary.
Speaker 3: Gary, got about a minute? Go for it? Maybe last hey, quick question? Got me? Okay, quick question.
Speaker 11: Coach k wrote a book several years ago which he said building a program was harder than maintaining a program.
Speaker 12: Do you think that was a problem with coach cal and coach Stoops currently at UK.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question. Let me let me ponder that during the break because I actually think that's an interesting point, and uh well, we'll lead off with that and a couple other things. We'll take a break. Our number two coming up here from Scottsdale, Arizona. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.