Speaker 1: Hey, vacationed a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Here's my business card.
Speaker 1: I'm Attorney Howard Ankle. You or someone who knows been heard it work akin law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. Hey, We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome to a new episode of this machine podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host, Josh Nelson, and in this episode you're going to hear from a lot of White Sox personnel as we will be recapping what happened between the White Sox and Guardians, a huge series in the American League Central. James Fige and Jim Margolis will join me in an upcoming episode of The Sox Machine podcast. But we did so many interviews, we have so much video from Chris Gatz, Will Venable, Coles Montgomery, Munatakamurakami, White Sox pitching coach Zach Bove. We even have Mark Burley also doing a quick interview with us about all the festivities that happened this weekend with of course Azy Gehan having his number thirteen retired and joining like Mark Burley and Paul Konerko from the two thousand and five World Championship squad up in the rafters. I also want to give a quick shout out to everyone that joined us this weekend for Sox Machines to twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 5: Pretty special moment for us.
Speaker 4: We had our Veterans Committee members, which that is part one of the tiers if you are a Sox Machine subscriber. We always have a Sweet Night every year, so that was a lot of fun. That was on Friday Night, which unfortunately White Sox didn't win, and of course hilarity ensued as job Rule canceled his concert. And then on Saturday, so many of you stopped by and lot e as we had our tailgate as well, so we had the hot dogs and Polar sausages. We had the Sox Machine cupcakes as well, so it meant a lot to us for everyone that said thank you and congratulations as we celebrated our twentieth anniversary this weekend. Of course, on Saturday, the day belonged to Ozzie Gean having his number thirteen retired and joining in the rafters at Rate Field, and for Ozzie the nineteen eighty five American League Rooki of the Year, but of course most well known for being the Chicago White Sox manager when they won the World Series in two thousand and five a pack stadium. It was a very emotional speech. You can easily tell this honor meant a lot to Ozzie and to seeing so many former players in White Sox personnel being seated on the field while Ozzie was given his speech. It was a great moment for Ozzi and the Chicago White Sox. Ozzi was asked about what was his biggest thrill of receiving this honor, and Ozzi Gian said, quote, to me, the biggest thrill when I see the number, the name out there is what it means to my grandkids to walk this field and see that last name up there.
Speaker 5: That's the biggest thrill.
Speaker 4: We also got a chance to hear from Chris Getz, former player under Ozzi Gian his first manager, and of course Mark Burley two thousand and five world champion, what it was like to play under Ozzi Gian.
Speaker 2: I think he was nervous and he was a little more emotionally.
Speaker 6: They came over, He's like, I didn't get a moment small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a few times literally going.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I don't know if you've got nervous story baseball stuff, but I think he's a lot more nervous.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's given so much of his career, his playing career, coaching career, broadcasting career.
Speaker 9: Half his life he's been with the White Sox on how much do you think this means to him?
Speaker 7: I think it means a lot. You can you can see obviously talking about it. I mean, he's again, he's a family guy. He spent a lot of time talking about his family. He loves family guys, the kids, you know, the kids on the team. He brings everybody together. So I think it meant a lot for him.
Speaker 10: In my office and I've got at home in my first opening day was hitting the second second, you know, they call everyone out to the to the line and I've got a picture of you know where he's acknowledging me. We're giving each other knuckles and yeah, I mean, I think everyone reflects back on the first manager that they've ever had, and in my case, you know, a memorable one for for a lot of different reasons. You know, had a story playing career and managing. You know, I still believe that in terms of instincts for the game. You know, one of the best I've been around, if not the best. I mean I it's you know, really special and and also one of the funniest people that that I've ever been around as well.
Speaker 6: He was always very supportive of me when I was in the minor leagues to be a big leaguer, and even when I was playing with other clubs as well.
Speaker 10: I always look forward to interacting with them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: It's really cool to see so many people coming. Not only are fans on tomorrow, uh for for his special day, but players that have played for him, friends of his uh.
Speaker 6: You know, he's obviously got.
Speaker 7: A special place in their hearts, and he doesn't mind been like a five seconds, I think just reagree AJ and p Se. My biggest thing is hot about was like that's obviously probably seventy five and said, whine.
Speaker 2: We went to Mimi.
Speaker 6: But because he was the manager, is because knowing.
Speaker 7: How much he loved It's like it didn't matter if you want up losing game. The kids were allowing me to love ost you guys said, I think the kids fault you all four don't yell at down and obviously having kids growing up at that time, I loved it.
Speaker 6: And it's just it was like he is the biggest family.
Speaker 2: Guy known the man. So that was that's one of the guys.
Speaker 11: Said, was off mon Brooklyn and great and remember how much he was.
Speaker 2: In pot with them. I remember coming to the clubs, coming on the road and there.
Speaker 7: Was a great I think they remember the gator a cup full of sweetest fish, and he'd always given them an ends at ten thirty at night, whenever they're walking out of a couple of candy and mans like it's pretty enough the best idea. But I think over the last few years of being up here on them, I don't think when I was playing on the l I'm not sure they really remember much of that, But I think it's more of the last couple years been up here.
Speaker 6: More certain every specifically you could tell them this you haven't told before?
Speaker 7: Yeah, like AJ said, there were talking about Ozzie and tell the truth, but kind of keep it PG No, I like I said, I just think it's mostly the family thing. And that's what I took tard because I'm a family guy. And like when I went to Toronto, it was like my family wasn't there. And every time I opened my apartment door and they weren't there, I'm like, what am I doing? I feel like a cow's kid. I actually have my family here and they can't be so just the whole family aspect of it.
Speaker 2: How big of a family guy he was.
Speaker 7: And yeah, me cared about baseball and performing well, but it was family first.
Speaker 6: I was a family doing and are you doing?
Speaker 2: Okay? You want to go longer? Like it's kind of stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Now, everybody who loves people who tell the truth, I'm farmers, well.
Speaker 12: Yours you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: When people like him even to the.
Speaker 7: Truth, I think that's why, Like I mean, he he literally told you what he was expecting out of you or what he thought of you, whether it was good or bad. You might not want to hear it, but his door was always open. You can walk him anytime. You might not might not want to hear what he's gonna tell you, but he's gonna tell you the truth.
Speaker 6: I can't tell any of those stories. Yeah, now, I've got a lot.
Speaker 2: Of those stories, you know.
Speaker 10: I Yeah, no, I don't know what comfortable sharing those, But I've got a lot of stories.
Speaker 6: I love telling people. I just don't think I need to make them pump cash.
Speaker 7: There was one story I can say that was my that's not with my daughter when she was young, but she walked out of the cluboffs crying, bowling her eyes off, and Ozzie came out behind her and he said, I think she just saw Rebate naked and that's why.
Speaker 2: She was trying.
Speaker 7: So that's that's the Ozzy story in ours. I mean eight million like that and lease of the ones that you can actually talk about.
Speaker 4: You have to appreciate the bluntness from Mark Burley. But congratulations again to Ozzie Gean and his family for his jersey retirement.
Speaker 5: And we'll see who will be the.
Speaker 4: Next number to be retired by the Chicago White Sox. Maybe Jose Brau. That could be a stretch. He did win Rookie of the Year and the MVP. He probably has the best chance of the more recent former White Sox players to have his number retired, but it could be a while before we see anybody's number retired for the Chicago White Sox. We're gonna take a quick break for a word from our sponsors, but afterwards check at the American League's central standings. As the White Sox win a big series against the Cleveland Guardians and get those host game and hose series reactions from manager Will Venable and Colson Montgomery, plus Hagen.
Speaker 5: Smith makes his major league debut, and we.
Speaker 4: Hear from Chicago White Sox pitching coach Zach Bob about the current pitching structure and what we could see in the very near future before this season ends.
Speaker 5: For White Sox pitchers. Next on The Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 13: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 14: Absolutely That's why Factor meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup. Don boom, I'm full. Move on to the next task.
Speaker 13: No prep, no cleanup. Every week you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon burgers, shredded pork, and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat real. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at Factor Meals dot com. Foul fifty off Factor Meals dot Com. See website for more details.
Speaker 1: I'm with Chicago Shorts dot Call some Montgomery. You're known as team first.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I've always worked hard for the team rather than myself.
Speaker 1: I get it. If you've been injured, my team is here to help. Call three one, two six million. Could you want me personal that second law?
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Sox Machine podcast as we recap what happened between the Guardians and the White Sox this weekend. In Game one, really weird starts as Noah Schultz didn't even get out of the first inning because well documented and we wrote about on soxmachine dot com, Will Vedible made the mistake in the first inning of a second mound visit that required him to replace Noah Schultz with David Sandalin, as the Guardians did end up winning that game in a big manner eight to two as they hit a grand slam off David Sandlin. Sandlin did the best that he could in those extreme circumstances, but the White Sox did respond quite nicely on Saturday and on Sunday, as in Game two, the White Sox were down two to nothing as they finally got to Gevin Williams and Cleveland's bullpen to pull together a rally. Mood of Takomurakami sparked a rally with a home run as the White Sox ended up winning six to three, and then on Sunday a long rain as the White Sox and Guardians entered a rain delay in the top of the second inning, again, the White Sox had to burn another starting pitcher, Davis Martin only lasted an inning, but thanks to a big home run from Coles Montgomery, the White Sox beat the Cleveland Guardians five to three and now when you take a look at the American League Central standings, a lot of adjustments here. Great weekend for the White Sox. They extend their lead in the division. They are sixty one and fifty six. They have already won more games than they did last year, so that's always that's a great sign. The Detroit Tigers are now in second place with a fifty eight and sixty record. They're three and a half games behind the White Sox. Meanwhile, the Guardians drop to fourth place as they do not have the tiebreaker against the Minnesota Twins. Both teams are fifty eight and sixty one. They are four games back. The Kansas City Royals are forty nine and seventy They are thirteen games back. Here is debo series interviews from White Sox man or jar Will Vetable, Munataka Murakami, and colst to Montgomery.
Speaker 6: Last season's win total. What are your thoughts, if anything on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, I mean it's signals progress for us.
Speaker 7: Obviously, you know we have a long way to go here, but I'm certainly happy about where we're at now, knowing that, yeah, we've gone through some stuff here and continue to push through and just get better and better, and obviously getting our sixty first one today and passing last year is at this stuff.
Speaker 9: Seventeen walks in total, I think between the teams, do you think like slickness or the money just in the mound, like contributed at all or just kind of a wacky game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have any explanation for that. It's just one of those games. Yet put the money and places.
Speaker 6: It's obviously a very important series. So I'm really glad that you know, we got to We're just went. We were in a bide and could say stringers get to be set and then come back today with win.
Speaker 9: You've been one of the most you know, successful hitters in the league against you know, high velocity, you know, one hundred miles hour today, Like, what do you feel like has made you successful against you know, the hardest fast balls.
Speaker 2: In the league. Hey, you chaps, we'll kick on.
Speaker 6: Eight months.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you've look at the good Colt stuffs totally to feel the boys feel vehicle.
Speaker 15: I don't really think it's something to be special. Honest, you know some falls that you are coming to me. I'm able to react on all of time and just go through my all same routines every single.
Speaker 2: Time in the lead in the division.
Speaker 6: Can you just talk about the importance of today's will win.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think our whole stretch, you know, how remain game stretch it was, you know with Tampa, with Boston stuff, you know Boston. You know, that's one of those situations where you kind of just like, all.
Speaker 6: Right, well we'll see and you know postseason, we'll see you later.
Speaker 8: You know, kind of take take those blows and you know, kind of take a step back and to do what we see what we did good, and see what we did and but uh, I don't know, I think you know, it's it's always good, you know, play against you know division, you know teams, it's playoff experience. You know, especially last night, you know we were down, their guy was dealing, but it was just you know, one of those things that we've shown, you know, throughout the years is that we're not going to back down. We're gonna try and find a way to win.
Speaker 2: Especially Yeah, big swing by Colson.
Speaker 7: I think you know, he needed that. You know, it's been a tough stretch for for him here. And we'll laughs a little bit, but that's that's what.
Speaker 2: He's got in there. You know, you know that that he's dangerous every time he's out there. Obviously, that was a really big swing for us. And it's the.
Speaker 6: Difference in the game, don't you talking about just focusing on the process. And is that what you try to do when you when you go through these stretches that are perfect.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's you got to be willing to take a step back and kind of you know, self evaluate what you need to do and like what you are doing. So, you know, the past two days or whatever, a couple I don't know how long, however long it's been, but I kind of just took a step back, you know, talk to Joel, talk to a show. We're like, okay, let's let's look at you know, you know, success, it leaves you know, clues, so let's just go out there and let's check it out. Let's look and see what it is. And it really wasn't anything to too crazy, you know, it was just kind of getting myself, you know, up early, you know, ready to you know, kind of let myself, you know, let my swing and.
Speaker 6: My body develop and and then just be committed to fastball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, I guess I mean more just helped the team. You know, it was able to you know, put us up and put us ahead, especially after a long you.
Speaker 6: Know, rain delays.
Speaker 8: You never know how teams can come out, you know, after rain delay. But I think it was kind of a statement, you know, we came.
Speaker 6: Out of the delay and was it right out of the day.
Speaker 2: We can put up four months something like that, something like that.
Speaker 6: So on, I thought that said a lot about us.
Speaker 4: On Sunday because of the rain delay, and Davis Martin only lasted an inning because he just got ended up being burnt out. He couldn't restart him. So because against a very heavy left handed hitting lineup from the Cleveland Guardians, White Sox manager Will Vennible decided to make Sunday Hagen Smith's major league baseball debut. And what a unique spot for Smith to make his MLB debut, and in very Hagen Smith's way if you've been paying attention to how he's been throwing in the minor leagues. Hagen Smith did throw two scoreless innings. Cleveland didn't register a hit against him, but he walked four batters, he did strike out three, and he did this all on forty eight pitches, so again a very Hagen Smith outing, but his MLB debut is in the books. He earned the win thanks to Coleson Montgomery's big home run. Here's Will Vettibul explaining that decision why he went to Hagen Smith, and then Hagen Smith talking about the experience of making his MLB debut.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know, you have these plans to you know, get these young guys a nice soft landing spot, and you know, second inning after rain delay is not something that I don't think he's done before, and so challenging situation.
Speaker 2: And then as his outing unfolded and he.
Speaker 7: Was challenged there in his second inning with the bases loaded, it was a really good test for him and obviously came through.
Speaker 16: What made you pick him to go to replace Davis in the second You know what kind of the thought process was with their lineup being so left handed that you know left he was going to be the first out.
Speaker 2: Hagen was kind of the guy.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I was definitely different. I didn't really know I was going until a few hours an hour into delay, and so yeah, that's gonna sounded with me. So I was just good from there.
Speaker 18: What were you doing here in the plumphouse. Just make sure you're ready.
Speaker 17: During I was kind of just waiting around, kind of seeing what we're going to start, moving around a little bit in the weight room, just kind of stay loose and whatnot, and you know we got to start time, went out there and play catch.
Speaker 2: And got on them out.
Speaker 18: You had three punch outs in your first inning, but then you know you got to baseloaded. Just how were you able to slow things down just to.
Speaker 6: Get out of that with that gym there.
Speaker 17: Yeah, the first inning obviously was good and then second you kind of fell off a little bit, but you know, glad we got the win, and that's all it really matters.
Speaker 13: What do you feel like being out there for the first time and striking out Ryan Bokyo problems with the soccers too.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it was really cool obviously, you know, going out there, you just want to go out there compete and you know the results.
Speaker 2: Are what they are and terms to be good.
Speaker 18: Just reflecting on your journey, especially this season, just what does it mean just to do your debut and we.
Speaker 17: Look back and leaders, Yeah, it's awesome. You know you always dream that's growing up, especially when you get drafted. You just look forward to the debut and doing it. It was just really cool and really special moment you.
Speaker 2: Get your first win and in your first appearance.
Speaker 17: So yeah, I didn't really I didn't know that until I got back in the.
Speaker 2: Club out so that's kind of cool celebrated. Yeah, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Any advice for Tanner, it's gold be him.
Speaker 17: You know, he's really good and just be himself out there and he'll.
Speaker 2: He'll do great.
Speaker 6: Who told you you get the win?
Speaker 2: Uh? I can't remember, honestly.
Speaker 17: I was just kind of sitting in here and there like, because you get to win.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 7: As he continues to work on, Yeah, that's something that he'll always continue to work on. He's got such good stuff. If he's on his own, and he's gonna be really hard to deal with. We saw that, and you know, you understand with that stuff, as it's hard to control the movement that there are going to be some walks in there. But as he continues to grow, you expect him to be able to.
Speaker 2: Tighten it up.
Speaker 4: Coming up next on the Sox Machine Podcast after a quick word from our sponsors, is Zach bo the Chicago White Sox pitching coaches he talks about Grant Taylor as far as his usage and maybe future usage. Starting pitching is not out of the realm for Taylor going into next season and also what are the White Sox pitching plans to try to finish out the regular season and make their way to the postseason.
Speaker 5: Next On the Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 13: Science Experiment for the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes including watermelon salt, raspberry salt, and I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and to pour some powder into my water, shake it up and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 14: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free, Stevia free, keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 13: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quint dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Sox Machine podcast. Here is the prescot diference with Chicago White Sox pitching coach Zach Bob which he's going to start talking about Davis Martin again. We only saw an inning out of Davis Martin on Sunday, but in his last start got beat up again, that time by the Boston Red Sox, and afterwards there was a lot of talk about pitch tipping for Davis Martin. This conversation with Zach Bov covers many pitchers for the Chicago White Sox, so you'll be hearing the entirety of his pregame press conference. I think there's a lot to take away from what Zach Bov thinks about his Farms White Sox pitchers and the adjustments they're trying to make on the fly. Here to stay ahead of everybody in the American League Central and still shock the baseball world and making the postseason in twenty twenty six. So here's Chicago White Sox pitching coach Zach bov.
Speaker 12: That's the plan, we hope. So yeah, it's definitely MANI focus and stuff like that. So, I mean, something that we're going to be on top of and you know, we feel good going to the game.
Speaker 18: The Tendi pitches. What did you say from him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think kind of similar trend. It's really the fastball command.
Speaker 12: Right when when the fastball command is there, it's good, It kind of sets up everything. It gives them something they got to honor rather than just the spin. So like, if we feel good about like the four teams specifically, if he's thrown into the good spots, then I think that helps this whole arsenal playoff.
Speaker 11: Is a very kind of basic thing. But is there fatigue and bound with him too? It looks like he looks like maybe a little different thing in early in the year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's multiple factors that that's one of it, right.
Speaker 12: Some of it's like the delivery, can you know again the deliver's off, But is the delivery off because of the feet fatigue, the innings pitched right, generally like how the body's feeling right. Everyone goes through like different stretches throughout the year, So I don't think it's one specific thing, but it is a combination of different factors, and you hope.
Speaker 18: Goes navigate that because he's not the only one that's us at this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think we're really cognitive, like the amount of throws in between starts, whether that's the sides, you know, even like the day afters and stuff like that. Obviously like through recovery. So it's just communicating with them, but like really just making sure it's like more a quality.
Speaker 6: Rather than just already throws throughout the week.
Speaker 9: Anthony Kay has been really steady since you broke up this point, probably in a way that gets under the radar with maybe something that he's done very consistently kind of you know, it doesn't get recognizing that.
Speaker 12: No, I hear, you're so right right, and like we've definitely had those conversations of where he was to where he is now.
Speaker 6: I think it gets the change up. Number one, that being able to land it right.
Speaker 12: The guys have to respect that, which then makes that cutter the four seam up and into the right east like playoff even more and then be able to land out like the sweeper specifically, So if he's like landing the change up in the sweeper, I think it like slows them down to make that like the four seam in this in the cutter.
Speaker 6: Playoff even more ruston. And what is really funny, Yeah.
Speaker 12: There's definitely some flashes there, like first couple of innings, right, like the fastballs combo and the fastball is really good and like, honestly, you look at the line, it wasn't great, but a lot of weak contact right Obviously the home homer got him and stuff like that, but like we felt good about it. He just had a good side session and like obviously like we're excited to have him, you know, join the Eric.
Speaker 6: Fetty's Sooni is going in the wolfen.
Speaker 11: He was planning on being stretched out and then he became kind of the in case of emergency pre class guy of this week. I mean, how tough is that when you're quest since he was kind of finding a root in that kind if he was starter.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, it is tough, And like Fetti is as a pro and he understands the role, you know, like it's got to be flexible.
Speaker 6: That that was the conversation from day one.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 12: Obviously you know he provides a length, but like he's pitched in some short inning just because of where the pen's at. So yeah, we're trying to you know, keep fetty as routine or he does again, but knowing like there's gonna be some adjustments and have to like fill in wherever the game dictates. Why do the pictures in Jos be a connection with there that he seems visible he's kept around. Yeah, I think Drew is really understands what the picture does well, right, the message that we've preached from day one and really like starts with as the foundation. But also like Drew does his homework right, understands like the hitters and all that that goes in and like really easy to communicate with.
Speaker 6: So like I think guys just understand, like, hey, he's he's gonna lead with their strengths first, right, he's gonna understand what the hitter you.
Speaker 12: Know, maybe struggles with it. Kind of lends those two. I will say, like Q has been you know, since he've been back, really good the communication has been great. Hugh's locked in, so Hugh is definitely making positive strides in those areas as well.
Speaker 9: Christmas kind of suggestsing as Castio that you know, he could use off speed more a bit going forward, and obviously he used to have one of the best changes in the game and throws it a bit less than he used to. Is that something that can be that he can turn back to in a significant way, you know midseason?
Speaker 12: No, for sure, Yeah, like we've had those conversations with him. I think louis, you know, on board with the increasing of the change up. Obviously two lefties, but maybe an opportunity to throw it to the right handed hitters too. I think part of it too is like you know, obviously Seattle is a really good organization, right the devel pitchy, but they're definitely slider heavy, right, So it's just like that just naturally like they push the slider more so like understanding like where louis at how to get out hitters. I think the change up you're gonna definitely see any increase usage from it.
Speaker 9: Does that change the way like you've kind of turn over a change up if your throwing sliders, you know, all the time A little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it can effect like the shape of the change up.
Speaker 12: Obviously some mechanical factors that you know, like we have kind of you know, identified and stuff like that. So it's like all those shapes can have a multiple two to effects on like the arsenal as a hole to delivery as a whole.
Speaker 11: Remember us watched Lucas Deledo come up, have like five or six really good starts, have a really rough first full year, and then take onf for like three or four years. Is that time to remember when you watch Noah just an example of development asn't always linear.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you have you know, a rough nun. That doesn't mean like you can't turn around in the visiar, No, it's so true.
Speaker 12: And like Noah, like if you just look back at the innings, right, the injuries over the years, Like this guy hasn't had like a full season. So obviously he's twenty three years old, obviously has has been a top prospect all that that comes with it, but like he's still getting into his own and you saw that up here to your point, right, the flashes of man, this can guy can.
Speaker 6: Be really good and then maybe some inconsistency.
Speaker 12: So like Noah is obviously a big part of our our future, but like just use this time as a reset, work on specific specific things, but also just get used to the grind of you know, a season in one hundred and thirty one hundred and forty innings at.
Speaker 18: Season, got the decision party seem.
Speaker 12: Just can't read st Yeah, I think it's part of that, right, it's part of like, hey, how can we win now? But knowing like we expect Noah to pitch quality ings for us like later in the year and hopefully into the playoffs, so like making sure he's in a good spot from the innings limit, like works on those things.
Speaker 6: And then again like he's gonna be a big part of us. Yeah, No, they've been.
Speaker 12: They've been obviously pitching really well down there obviously, like you know, it's in a fresh powerful arms coming out of the pen, so that's gonna be good.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: Hagan's you know, made.
Speaker 12: Some like slight changes coming off the il and stuff like that with the cutter and the delivery, Like, oh, that's in a good spot and like.
Speaker 6: Hopefully we'll see them over the next couple of days.
Speaker 9: When no was so good at the start of the year, what kind of does you send them back to, like kind of working some things mechanically where you've seen maybe drift from where he was, you like like to see him get back to.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it's specifically the slot's got a little lower, a little scoopier right, which then affects the four seam doesn't have much ride. So like I think getting the slot a little bit more upright, a little bit taller in the in the setup affects the you know, adds VVV to the four seam.
Speaker 6: It helps kind of the whole arsenal kind of playoff in that like kind of east west range.
Speaker 9: He's comfortable as in the east west sky, but like do you want like to have the four singer to have the little definitely breaking bolted so if he just have that element of north south.
Speaker 12: But he wants to, Yeah, it just allows them to get above and below the barrel. Right Obviously, like everything's here and we're gonna definitely like play into that.
Speaker 6: But having something that.
Speaker 12: Goes above the barrel with the four seam and below the barrel with the slider football, you know, adds another element to the mix.
Speaker 11: We've that's a lot of them, a lot about him, because your opening based starter is Shane Smith's still kind of in the mixed veere for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, definitely communicate with Shane.
Speaker 12: We're pretty locked in, right, He's working through some things, right, there's some some some positives in there. It's just I think generally just getting more consistent because obviously you guys saw last year how dominict he can be and again still part of the future forms for sure.
Speaker 18: What if he takes a.
Speaker 12: Bush man the sinker and the change up for real?
Speaker 6: The guy like wants to pitch, he wants to post. He's very easy going.
Speaker 12: I think he's gonna fit in great, but like we're gonna lean on the sinker and change up for sure?
Speaker 9: What kind of makes this change up so special that it's you know, taken.
Speaker 11: Off him this way?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think he can like throw it to like good locations.
Speaker 12: It's got like late action, right, I think the ability to like just combo both of those like you maybe think like O the sinker change up kind of similar move movement, but like able to contrast that I think is.
Speaker 6: Gonna be like it has been, you know, good for him and continue to be good for him.
Speaker 2: What does he say about.
Speaker 6: Multiple of the other night is constantly.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean it's a great resource for us. I think what you see is like how Grant takes care of his body, how routine oriented, so he can do that right, he can throw two ups right and then one day off and come back in and like obviously Fila was in a good spot.
Speaker 6: Shapes and are a good spot.
Speaker 12: So like credit to him of all the preparation that goes into it to be able to do this consistently.
Speaker 6: Throughout the year.
Speaker 9: How rare is his curt ball in terms of how much movement if you get on it well, being as hard in the mid eighties as.
Speaker 12: It is, it's it's a unicorn pitch, right, and then I would layer on ability to throw it in the zone too, right, he can dump that thing in, oh right, and he can.
Speaker 6: Get a blow for the strike. So like guys have to honor that plus ninety eight ninety nine, like you got to pick one, and like obviously like a lot of guys were in between on him.
Speaker 9: He was saying, like sometimes he sets his target like at the top of the catcher's head because that's how much it drops to like get in the zone. Is that do you see, like the way he's kind of able to calibrate to land in those strips.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: No, I we talk a lot about starting points and lanes and stuff like that, and Grant's a perfect example of that. Sometimes you got to start that up and like sometimes maybe it ends up, but then it's a take pitch too. So it's like, definitely a good tunnel.
Speaker 6: Off the four.
Speaker 18: Really is that something? Thats what it was?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: No, I yeah, I think, Like again, don't lose sight how dominant he is, but he also is the second year in the league, right, so like being able to lean on those guys that have been at that understand the ups and downs, the routine in between pitches and in between outings, and how to stay consistent, like those guys are gonna have been a great addition.
Speaker 6: I think that's where Castile will also come.
Speaker 12: In for the starters too, right, obviously young starters and just knowing how to navigate a season and playoffs and all that stuff.
Speaker 11: You're obviously focused on winning the division going to the playoffs, wan Wer of the series in the future, could Grant still have starter potential?
Speaker 6: You think, Oh, I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 12: I think it's just conversations that we had in the off season, right, We've talked about obviously the innings are up there for a reliever, so there's definitely conversations we're gonna have in the off season for sure.
Speaker 9: Bert John Burke, I think looks like your traditional like high four seam puts breaking balls out of it. But when you talked to him, he's really like loves like commanding his two seamer, and he loves kind of like locating his basketball down. Like how if he seems like he's willing to expand his game in a.
Speaker 6: Way that you know has taken off for him for sure.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think like maybe historically he's known himself in the league as like a north South guy, like for seams up in her ball, and that is still.
Speaker 6: Part of his identity. But being able to out the cutter.
Speaker 12: To the mix now the sinker down away to lefties, the slider's been really good right to lefties and to righty's. So it's like, again, I think it goes along with like just giving the offense multiple problems to solve.
Speaker 6: Throw to multiple different locations. Right, it's tough to cover all those as a hitter.
Speaker 5: That will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast.
Speaker 4: Hope you guys enjoyed that interview with Chicago White Sox pitching coach Zach Bovan all of the other interviews and sound bites and video that we got over the weekend. Again, a very festive weekend for the Chicago White Sox. Asi Gian got his jersey retired. The White Sox won another series against the Cleveland Guardians. They still have the season series lead five wins to four wins for Cleveland. They extended their lead in the American League Central. They now lead by three and a half games in the division. This is starting to become very real for the Chicago White Sox and we will be previewing their next series on the upcoming episode of the Sox Machine Podcast is James Spoge and Jim Margolis will join me to help me preview what to look forward as the Cincinnati reds Now visit the White Sox at Rate Field. And don't forget if you have tickets for Tuesday Night's game, that is the Pope Hat Night. That is going to be a very popular game. So if you don't have tickets, go get tickets. It's going to be one of the biggest giveaways the Chicago White Sox will have for this upcoming season. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for watching and listening. If you want to listen to the show, you can listen to the podcast wherever you listen to podcasts, as as Spotify and Apple Music. But this is a video podcast now, so you can watch all of our videos and the shows on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. If you do watch our videos, please hit the subscribe button. We greatly appreciate it. We've already passed thirty two hundred subscribers, so thank you so much to all of our new subscribers and our new follows as well on social media, which you can follow us on social media wherever you have social media platforms. We're at sox Machine. You can follow James at j rfig and you can follow me at sox Machine Underscore Josh. And if you enjoy your work and went full access to all of our coverage at the Chicago White Sox and Major League Baseball, we become a sox Machine subscriber at Soxmachine dot com slash products. As I mentioned the beginning part of the show. We do have a Veterance Committee tier our VC members. Every single season, we coordinate with them to have a sweet night at a White Sox game, and we also share upcoming plans. We're already starting to try to formulate game plans of what we're going to be doing for this upcoming postseason. As far as our playoff coverage, we really lean on our Veterans Committee members to give us excellent feedback and advice on what ways that we can cover the Chicago White Sox to make it more engaging and informative for all White Sox fans. So again, if you enjoy your work and it will be part of that conversation. We still have some openings in our Venturance Committee we don't accept, but to everyone, there's a little bit of an interview process because again we do share some pretty sensitive information. But if you just want to help support sox Machine and gain access to all of our coverage and the comment section as well well. We still have our first month sale in which your first month is just fifty three cents. Afterwards it's five dollars a month. Again, go to soxmachine dot com slash Products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot Com. You're for all of Thames, Chicago White Sox baseball and now part of the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 5: I'm Josh Nelson. Thank you so much for watching and listening.