Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Both of the.
Speaker 3: Most trusted journalists at Comedy Central. It's America's only Sorts.
Speaker 2: For new It's the Daily Trump with your host Jordan Plopper.
Speaker 4: Gordoper.
Speaker 1: We got so much to talk about tonight, Cutter is bribing the friendly skies. Hassan Piker suggests that Democrats try to win and President Trump is out of the country, so someone locked the fuck doors. Let's get into all of it with.
Speaker 4: Our new segment.
Speaker 1: Trump meets worlds.
Speaker 5: International humiliation one after another.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been in a American president is hard. People criticize your policies, They nitpick your moral deficiencies. Every time you even suggest removing habeas corpus, people start whining, no, we need that boo. You know, sometimes you just want to go somewhere where people don't pick apart your flaws and they treat you like a king.
Speaker 6: Overnight, President Trump touching down in Saudi Arabia, escorted by military jets a lavish welcome for his first visit to the Middle East since his re election.
Speaker 7: The Saudi Prince greeted him at the airport and he got a horse escort into the Saudi palace.
Speaker 1: A horse escorts. I gotta say when you hear that Trump got a horse escorts, this is the best version of that story. But but Saudi Arabia, oh man, they were all out. It wasn't just the horse escorts. They greeted Trump with a full breast band that was really trying their.
Speaker 4: Mass, you know. And then then.
Speaker 1: It was time for Trump to walk down the famous purple carpet, and so he walked and he walked, kept walking. You know, it feels like you're could have stayed in the car for something. Oh now we're taking an escalator. Great, we're done, but no, we're still walking. Yep, that's fine. It's a cool one hundred and eight degrees. This guy can handle it, you know, you know, you know, Trump's looking at the carpet, going, you know, these things fly here, right, don't they show me a whole new world or some shit like that. Look, a horse guard and purple carpets. That might impress the average world leader, but Donald Trum is no average world leader, and Saudi Arabia knows how to cater to a man with such refined tastes.
Speaker 8: Saudi Arabia had a McDonald's mobile truck come on site so that President Trump could have his favorite McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect. Oh, I gotta it is nice to see they got another use out of the horses once they were done without al Scrob's good to know.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 1: It's good, it's good. You gotta hand it to the Saudis now they know the fastest way to Trump's heart is through his stomach, out the colon, with a little bit staying behind in his arteries.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But not everything in the Royal Kingdom was to Trump's liking. Now, after they arrived, the Saudi served some coffee. But while everyone else drank, there's Donald Trump just held his in his hand the whole time. Look at that. Look at that right, It looks like he was waiting to give a urine sample to the nurse. Yeah, I gotta tell I get this, honestly, I get it. Unfamiliar coffee on a trip is risky. One sip is all it takes to go from travelers constipation to travelers. You guys go without me. I'm gonna hang out in the room for a while. Smart movement. It's a smart move mister president. You don't want to throw a wrench into that perfect gut biome you've created. Now that means said, that means said, Trump may be regretted not taking that caffeine shot. A few minutes later.
Speaker 9: Mohammad Bn Salmon is saying, we need a resolution on a Palestinian state. And I don't necessarily recall several years ago, pre October seventh, as that being a demand that he had necessarily stated publicly. Do you think his position has changed or do you think the way he has expressed himself has that changed?
Speaker 1: Mister president? Come on, you can't fall asleep there. This isn't an intelligence briefing. Come on, man, Look look it's not actually a big deal for the president to have jet lag. I'm not so much of an asshole that I make fun of someone for nodding off a bit on a trip. But you know who is that much of an asshole?
Speaker 2: Joe Biden.
Speaker 10: The guy can fall asleep instantly with the press watcher.
Speaker 1: Who the hell wants to sleep with these paper watcher.
Speaker 4: And he's out cold.
Speaker 1: You see the dribble coming down the side.
Speaker 4: Of the seat.
Speaker 1: Well, well, well look who's sleeping now?
Speaker 4: Well, well I tell you what. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden you must be loving. Oh and he's passed out. Never mind, never mind. Of course, it's in the Saudi's interests to give Trump the royal treatment. But I'm I'm sure the President of the United States understands that the Saudi Crown Prince is not without baggage just a few years ago that he murdered an American journalist. So I'm sure the President will keep a healthy distance from the crown Prince.
Speaker 2: I like him a lot.
Speaker 4: I like them too much.
Speaker 1: That's why we give so much.
Speaker 4: You know, too much.
Speaker 1: I like you too much. I agree you might like him too much. Regardless, you know what it was. It was a very nice start to this trip abroad where he'll visit not just Saudi Arabia, but then Cutter and then the UAE. But you might be wondering why did Trump pick these countries for his first foreign trip. Well, there's a strong geopolitical balance with you corruption.
Speaker 6: His sons, who now run the Trump Organization, have lucrative real estate deals in the works in all three countries the resident is visiting.
Speaker 1: Ye, the Trump boys have projects in all three countries. I never thought I'd say this, But but can't these countries go back to doing something more constructive, like funding terrorism. But Donald Trump doesn't see any of these business conflicts as a problem. In fact, if anything, he's taking conflicts to a to a new height, as in heights like like like the sky.
Speaker 8: We turned to the uproar over the four hundred million dollar gift from the government of cutter tonight a luxury seven hundred and forty seven jumble Jet to be used as Air Force one until the end of Trump's term, when the White House says it would be decommissioned and donated to the Trump Library.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I think we could stop pretending that this airplane is going to be transferred to his presidential library. This is like the news reporting your aunt is bringing her good friend Linda to Thanksgiving. They're let cooter people. That's why what's happening? Okay? Look now, apart from being a security concern and a potential bribe, it seems clearly unconstitutional to give the presidents a gift like this. You know, what, what do I know? Attorney General Pam Bondy, What say you?
Speaker 6: Attorney General Pam Bondi, who says the gift is quote legally permissible and not a bribe because Trump isn't giving Cutter anything in return.
Speaker 1: There you have it, right, MP hasn't given them anything, and it's been like thirty six hours. You know, I trust her. She's the attorney general. You know, just just a quick fact check. What did she do before she was the attorney general?
Speaker 3: We should point out that Bondi previously worked as a foreign lobbyist for the nation of Cutter, earning about one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 1: All right, right, you know it looks bad, but if you have to understand that's that's a lot of money, and money feels good to have and to spend. So now I get it for more than Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia. We go live to our very own Michael Costa. Michael, you're embedded with the Trump team.
Speaker 4: How's it going, Jordan?
Speaker 2: It's going great. You know.
Speaker 11: The Saudi's are treating us like Kings, five star hotels, fine dining. I just used the bidet and I wish it was a a month. I don't know why the Saudis get such.
Speaker 4: A bad rap.
Speaker 1: I mean, because they're an oppressive dictatorship that mistreats women, and they did that eleven Yeah.
Speaker 11: You know, I was going to ask them some tough questions about that, and then then the free massage started and Jordan whoa omar used to do interrogations, so he knows how to get deep into that tissue.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 11: I usually don't like when men touch my body, but I know that he's not gay, since over here that's a crime, right, And that also made me feel a lot better about that happy ending.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Michael. You know a lot of people think that the Gulf States are just bribing Trump to get what they want. It kind of seems like these bribes might be working.
Speaker 2: Whoa Jordan bribe?
Speaker 11: Easy on the b word, bitch, Okay, these countries are just being good friends, and friends sometimes give other friends billions of dollars in crypto and airplanes. I mean, I got you that breadmaker for your wedding, didn't I No.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't give me anything. You just got shitfaced and tackled my grandmother during the electric slide.
Speaker 11: Well, and my defense, I thought her oxygen tank was a bomb. But point is, maybe the bribes are a good thing. If you want Trump to fix the Middle East, he needs some skin in the game. You think he's gonna do this pro bono. He doesn't give up what the guys from you two things.
Speaker 1: Okay, Michael, No, this is the pathway to eruption. If Trump takes bribes, he's gonna favor that country and decisions regarding American policy.
Speaker 11: Trump's gonna take bribes no matter what. The smart thing to do is make sure he takes bribes from every country. Then whole work for every country and we'll all live in harmony. That's why I say, if you want world peace, you gotta give Trump a peace. You see what I did there, I spelled it differently. It's clever.
Speaker 1: It's a place I say it.
Speaker 4: I say it.
Speaker 1: I say it like. Look, okay, I gotta tell you, Michael, very clever. But this whole thing just it just doesn't feel good.
Speaker 11: Well, then you need to talk to Omar because he can make you feel real good. Now, if you excuse me, I'm gonna use the bidet again. This thing's like a fire hose. I'm practically cleaning my teeth with it.
Speaker 4: Oh, Mar, grab me some talent.
Speaker 1: But that's okay, that's going Michael Costa.
Speaker 4: Everyone I talk about the file Piper Oko, Well, well maut models though.
Speaker 1: You know, it's common knowledge that the podcast world is full of maga right wingers, But the left has some big players too. I spoke to one of their biggest. After ten years of covering the Trump campaign, I thought nothing could shock me anymore. But somehow, in twenty twenty four, young voters, and most especially young men, went hard for a seventy eight year old who uses pancake makeup.
Speaker 6: The bro vote, especially on college campuses, broke heavily for Trump.
Speaker 1: Yes, Trump reached voters by engaging with right wing influencers in what's called the manosphere. It's the collection of online content and social media promoting bro culture, and it's a space that the left seems to ignore. But someone saw this. It's a mistake. Were you surprised that so many young people showed up and voted for Donald Trump?
Speaker 2: No, no, not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: This is a sign piker. He's a progressive who has intellectual sit downs with Bernie and AOC and still manages to post thirst trap workout videos to his two point eight million followers on the platform Twitch. This combo has liberal media asking if he is the magical connection to young male voters. This is where you twitch from. Yeah, what is a twitch?
Speaker 7: It's basically like YouTube, but you're live streaming.
Speaker 1: It's a podcast for people who are like I wish this podcast were longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yet, his lefty bona fides might have made him a target for Donald Trump's Homeland Security, which recently detained Piker at the airport. How do you see the left communicating with young men in this time of the manosphere?
Speaker 7: The left could, I don't know, talk to dudes that woul villifying them. There's a lot of anger, resentment, not having any hope for a future, never being able to retire, never being able to own a home. All of those things are are very much of the core identity for the next generation.
Speaker 1: But is there a room for the Democrats to create a left wing manosphere to talk about the social safety net and protein powder?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I think that there is a space for it, But I don't think the Left fills that void at all at this moment. I try to do so, but even I sometimes get hit with it.
Speaker 2: This is body fascism.
Speaker 1: Now I have to worry about a new fascism. I'm getting used to the old fascism And what is even the term body fascism mean.
Speaker 7: I don't fully understand it. I think it's like a lot of leftists hate other leftists. Any sort of consideration about the esthetics of how you look is actually another way to I guess, reinforce an unjustifiable hierarchy.
Speaker 1: To be fair, that's why I don't work out. Yeah, yeah, because I have antibody fascism. So people are like, oh, are you lazy. I'm like, no, I'm a socialist with my body.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No respect. Yeah. And it's not young men just being drawn to the right. Some technology is giving them a push. A recent study created generic TikTok account for imaginary sixteen to eighteen year old boys to see how the algorithm acted, and within twenty three minutes, they were fed masculine, anti feminist, extremist content by for a man is harder than my for a woman.
Speaker 11: The hotter a woman is, the more insecure she is about her looks.
Speaker 1: Your body, my choice. So I was excited to dip my toe into this cesspool. So I set up this account as a sixteen year old, pretending.
Speaker 7: That's what the pedophile hunters do as well.
Speaker 1: I'm not in that world, So walk me through some of the stuff we see here. So this is this is what my algorithm is essentially feeling. Is first up, some content from Charlie Kirk. Kirk is a right wing influencer known for trolling liberals on college campuses. You said male buristas aren't masculine.
Speaker 7: Think you and I can both agree that male buristas are not exactually high, usually high on the testosterone.
Speaker 2: They are just a pause ver a second.
Speaker 1: He's a podcaster. He's a podcaster.
Speaker 7: We are doing something very very not like alpha dog. They mistake being confident for what it means to be masculine. Okay, moving Ononta Davis, He's six.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm seeing your algorithm.
Speaker 7: May I gently bury my face in those milkers?
Speaker 1: This dog? See, there's just so much going on here? Is this dog want to fuck a woman? Is that what's happening here?
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on?
Speaker 1: I don't know who are this is? TikTok makes me very existential. I'm gonna like it. I'm gonna flash that hard. What are these trucks?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: I like this one though. This is interesting me cheap. The only thing I do behind your back is look at your ass. See This is actually kind of sweet, but it's like, why is it always trucks you get? You get dogs that objectify women and also trucks that objectify women. Yeah, are you a sea lion? Because I would like to see you lying in my bed sweety these.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: This is for how old are you? I'm forty six.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is literally the TikTok algorithm. I think at some point identified you as a forty six year old man.
Speaker 1: But you can tell that because it's a dog that wants.
Speaker 7: To This is one hunt like even the first dog one.
Speaker 1: It knows why it found me that.
Speaker 7: Now you understand how people find themselves captivated by right wing politics.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was like, Oh, a lot of people are like emotionally and mentally stunted adults, yes, running around and that's why they think Andrew Tain's awesome. I think we were arriving at how that happened.
Speaker 1: In the end, young people just want influencers who connect with them, politicians who address their concerns, and social media that doesn't break their brains. Oh, keep scrolling through to see if there's any more dogs. I want to Yeah, pet dogs. They want to pet Yeah, thank you, John Piker.
Speaker 4: And for more about the rise of young trunk.
Speaker 1: Bands, take up a new special Bog and the Next Generation. Every next Monday, May nineteenth, right after the Daily Show, right here on Comedy Central, when we come back, Matt woolf Well joining me on the show. Don't go away, Welcome.
Speaker 4: Back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 1: My guest tonight is an award winning filmmaker whose new HBO documentary is called Pee Wee as himself. Please welcome Matt Wolf. I saw this, I saw the doc. Two part doc. People are clamoring for it. There's a lot of love for Pee Wee Herman and Paul Rubens, and I think what we just saw in that clip, I want to I want to go right at that. It tells the story of Paul Rubens and Pee Wee Herman and who is Paul Rubens within the story of Pee Wee Herman and outside of it as well. But what you lead in you're a part of this, you're off camera, and in that moment right there, there's a there's a tension between you and Paul. Walk me through is what is happening right there? What was the inherent tension that we're seeing there. And the tension you had in making this documentary.
Speaker 5: Well, from the moment I met Paul Rubens, he said to me, I want to direct my own documentary, but everybody's telling me I shouldn't do it, and I don't understand why. And I said, well, I'm here to meet with you about me directing the documentary. That dynamic didn't go away. Yeah, we were a little competitive in the process because Paul was somebody who totally separated himself from his alter ego Peewee Herman, and I was sort of asking him to bring those two things together.
Speaker 2: So he was a little rebellious in the interview.
Speaker 1: Well you're coming into something like that, What is the story you wanted to tell? He says, you have an agenda in that clip.
Speaker 2: What's interesting?
Speaker 1: What's your agenda?
Speaker 2: My whole pitch to him is I want to make a portrait of an artist.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: He wanted to really set the record straight and overcome some of the controversies from his rest and I said, well, you know, that's the easy part. The harder part is to really look inward. Who are you really as a person who the world doesn't know even though your character is so iconic.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it's interesting because it feels like the documentary looks at the arrests and sort of what happened post pee Wee or the initial run of Pee Wee. But he's reticent in telling that story, even to the point where he avoided you at the end of filming. Right, do you feel like you were able like what did he want to wanted to say and what was he able to actually reveal?
Speaker 5: You know, I think Paul felt comfortable talking about his artistry and less comfortable talking about the controversies that surrounded it. But he was determined to overcome those controversies. So I was there to help him do it. But he really wanted creative control. Yeah, it was a little like you know, his Achilles heel, and so we were at odds and some time went by where we weren't working together. And it was only at the end before Paul died that I was able to talk to him and he wanted to move forward.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what was going on behind it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what's crazy. You didn't you make it very clear to the fact, but you didn't know he was dying. Paul Rubins was battling cancer at the end for years, but you were unaware of this while you were working with him, no idea at all. Yeah, but he can't and then he basically blocks you off for a little while.
Speaker 5: There was a time where we weren't working together. We were trying to find a path forward and we couldn't. But fortunately I was able to talk to him towards the end and could tell something was up, but I had no idea of the gravity of it. I was supposed to do a final interview with him the week.
Speaker 2: After he died.
Speaker 1: Really, Oh, I mean, it's heartbreak, and it's you talk about his stubbornness and his creative control. You also show a big part of this is celebrating pee Wee Herman and the character he created, which that creative control allowed him to to create something that really is unlike what people see today. It's I'm a father to a four and a half year old, so I watch a lot of kids entertainment. It's sort of an added to watching CNN all the time. Is like you throw out a blue and life is good, and it's Curious Blue with outstanding. That's a wonderful show for most part. For most part, they sand off certain edges to it, and you revisit what Paul Rubins was doing with Peewe's Playhouse, and it really it pushes boundaries. It's empathetic, It speaks to kids and adults at the same time, it's a show about inclusivity without making that direct focus like it still feels cutting edge revisiting in your documentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it changed who I am as a kid.
Speaker 1: You were a fan growing up.
Speaker 5: I grew up on Pee Wee's Playhouse. I wouldn't have been able to put words to it, but I think it's message of radical acceptance and creativity.
Speaker 2: It changed who I am. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it was thrilling to be able to work with Paul and to kind of be in his mind.
Speaker 1: What's happening off camera as you have some of those tense moments. You said forty hours of interviews with Paul Rubins three hours. There's moments, there's moments that you show where I see him pushing back on you and what I'm watching with him. From a performers perspective, I'm curious as to whether he's being he's frustrated with you the director, or I'm curious if he's playing a character who finds humor in being the foil to the overbearing director. Do you feel like you were talking to a character Paul Rubins playing a comedic persona even in his conversations with.
Speaker 5: You Somewhere in between? I think there was a barbed element to our conversations, but it was also fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it wasn't really about me.
Speaker 5: I mean, Paul was wrestling with himself to tell his authentic story, and I was just there bearing witness to the whole thing, and we had an incredible time. It was really fun doing forty hours of interview. But it could be tense, it could be competitive, and he could be slippery and rebellious, but when he snapped into storytelling mode, he was one of the most rivetting people I've ever spoken to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he passes, and you're already having this dynamic where there's a battle for control over who gets to tell that story. He passes, you have a new responsibility. How does that change how you're putting together documentary?
Speaker 5: I mean it was the largest responsibility I've ever been given him.
Speaker 1: Did you creatively change the what you were imagining?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, you owe his creative vision more after that, Like, did you feel more constrained by that responsibility?
Speaker 5: No, But I knew that what happened between us and the circumstances in which the film was being finished was part of the story, so I had to pivot in that regard, and also to recognize there were things going on that I didn't know about while we were making the film. But at the end of the day, I wanted to make a portrait of this singular artist and that didn't change.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What would he have cut from this film?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't speculate what Paul would have done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think you would do? You think you would have enjoyed seeing it and seen the response he gets.
Speaker 5: He can't speak for himself, so I think he would be happy that people are excited to learn his story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, what what was what? What did you learn spending all this time with him that that was outside of what you expected coming into it?
Speaker 5: You know, I learned what it's like to be the subject of a documentary and how scary we are when we come and film you. Yeah, you know, I got some new perspective about how it feels to be on the other side of the camera. Because Paul was so forthcoming about it, and I had a lot of empathy for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean somebody who is also so much of the trauma in his life, and what you discuss is a media looking at his life trying to put a story to his life. Do you feel do you feel that was embedded in the armor that you had to sort of get through.
Speaker 5: I mean, Paul had issues of control because he was a brilliant artist, and all artists are controlling, but he lost control of his narrative in the media. Of course, he was going to be skeptical or cautious around a younger filmmaker like myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well it's a remarkable film or multiple piece documentary. Thank you for putting it on. The two part documentary Pee Wee as Himself premiers May twenty third on HBO and Max Matt Wolk. We're gonna take.
Speaker 4: Quick, right, that's all over? The night got here.
Speaker 1: Then I said hi to the President.
Speaker 10: President introduced me to the Crown Prince and the President and a lot of good humors, said Crown print.
Speaker 4: Now he doesn't quite make.
Speaker 10: The money that you do, but and he went on to tell a funny story and you know, in very trumpy and fashion, and it was pretty pretty special and pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts