Speaker 1: I have an etiquette question for the to you, okay, and it's a genuine question because I really don't know. Something kind of strange happened, and Sue and I have been talking about it and we're not sure if it was a breach of etiquette or not, So please tell me.
Speaker 2: As you and.
Speaker 1: Our dear listeners know, Sue and I walk our dog all the time. It really helps to meet neighbors. And we met a while back during the pandemic, an older couple, probably mid to.
Speaker 2: Late seventies, walk a beautiful dog. They're very nice people. We talk to them all the time.
Speaker 1: So maybe a week ago we run into them again, and you know, we get to talking and we're talking about how we're doing a little bit of construction at the house, you know, nothing big. We're having some painting done. We're you know, doing patching some walls, that kind of thing. And they mentioned they'd like to have some construction done as well. They were taking bids and we were like, oh, man, we love our guy, he's the best. You should come and or we can give you the number whatever, and he said, actually, could I maybe stop by later and talk to him because he was going to be at the house.
Speaker 2: I said, great, no problem. He said, this is your house, right, I said, yeah, yeah, it's a house.
Speaker 3: So I have to leave.
Speaker 2: I tell Sue that they may be stopping.
Speaker 1: By, because Sue wasn't with you on this walk where she was but no, excuse me, you're right, she was not.
Speaker 2: She was not.
Speaker 1: I was solo on this one. And so Sue I tell her. She comes back, I tell her, hey, they might be stopping by. Later, she says, okay, yeah, no problem, be great to see him, and so to stay out of the constructions, people way, people's way. A little bit later in the day, Sue takes the dog out into the backyard and she says, she looks up and the guy is standing in our home. I'm sorry, yeah, so he just walked into the house. What Yeah, so weird breach of etiquette, right, never been here before.
Speaker 3: I would call it more. I'd call it breaking and entering.
Speaker 1: Now, in all fairness, now I want to add, we have a construction crew going in and out.
Speaker 2: The front door.
Speaker 4: None of this is going to matter. It's not changing a single thing.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree.
Speaker 5: We don't think it would change if the door was open. Correct, There was a construction guy that he followed in talking to.
Speaker 1: He wasn't He was standing by himself in the middle of the living room looking out over our backyard.
Speaker 5: Shows up and there's like somebody that he's talking to or wants to talk to, and the door's open, and the guy's like.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's where I went.
Speaker 1: Is like, so the front door was obviously unlocked and open because or unlocked because there's guys going in and out there. They're sawing stuff in the front of the house but never been here before and just walked in.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't walk with that. I wouldn't just walk into your homes without.
Speaker 6: Do you think maybe he knocked and didn't get an answer and they.
Speaker 3: Don't get correct, you are gone.
Speaker 4: I would be like, Also, if I were talking to let's go with writer's first idea that maybe the guy let him inside the house, I would also go, Okay, sorry, can we finish our conversation. I would still never be like, you have permission to be inside their home. I have not been given I'm not going to enter their home.
Speaker 5: I'm just not doing why and Will said, yeah, you can stop buying and talk to our construction guy. So maybe he assumed that meant, even if we're not home because the work's getting done, you can come find our construction guy and talk to him.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either, and I've been doing what Rider did, like because he's such a nice older man like kind of trying to rationalize it.
Speaker 2: Or justify it. But to me, I couldn't fathom just walking into somebody's house.
Speaker 4: Nope, nope, nope, no, u uh no, I mean, don't preach a icate right absolutely, By the way, if I stopped this is me and you. If I stopped at your house to say drop something off, and I walked in and your door was open, I might be a little concerned enough to peek my head in and go, will Susan because my? Because I would think, hmm, they don't normally leave their door open.
Speaker 3: Also, where's Sammy?
Speaker 4: So like I would get a little kid and I'd be like, And then if I noticed there was construction going on, I'd be like, Okay, they're probably aware, and I don't see Sammy. Then I would walk away from your house and text you. I even would not walk into your house and go on a search. I would text you and say, your door's open. Do you know that, Are you okay? And if I didn't get a response, maybe at some point I would be like, Okay, I've got to go in there, because one, if he's lying, they're dead. But like I even would not walk into your house.
Speaker 1: She was so taken aback you and then like, hey, how you doing. He's like, oh, and the construction guy wasn't there. The main guy wasn't there at the time, so he wasn't able to talk to him.
Speaker 2: So it was there, and she was like, he was just in our home.
Speaker 3: She didn't say, how did you get in?
Speaker 1: Well, no, I don't think so, No, I don't think because I think you're so flustered by that part. So you're just in our house and he's just standing there kind of in the living room like looking at me.
Speaker 4: So it should be explained to our dear listeners. Will also has a gate.
Speaker 3: You have to open two doors to get inside your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. That's actually very true.
Speaker 1: The outer gate may have been opened for the construction guys, but it's clearly you got to get through two levels of security to get in.
Speaker 4: Right here, you already walked through one that may have been open there unless your front door was wide open, in which case, even if he was walking in, He's like he wasn't going, Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: Then when he saw her, I got worried. The door's opened.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 4: He's just like, hey, I'm here, Yeah, can I make myself a cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much what it was.
Speaker 1: So okay, I'm glad I wasn't because I was like, that's weird and that's a total breach of etiquette. And then again, like Rider, I was trying to kind of justifight in my head, well maybe it's not Maybe it's a generational thing and when you're old, you used to just walk into place.
Speaker 3: I mean he's mid seventies, said mid to late seventies.
Speaker 2: He's not one hundred and five.
Speaker 3: He's not ancient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So I okay, I wasn't wrong. Okay, then it's okay.
Speaker 6: That's still do I mean, what what do you? There's nothing to do?
Speaker 1: I'm I mean what I First of all, I went, I broke into his house when they were sleeping and.
Speaker 3: Say that's what you do.
Speaker 1: Then you escalated and I was just crouching over them asleep, and I was like, what were you thinking?
Speaker 2: That's so weird. But while petting his dog just creepily. No, there's nothing to do.
Speaker 3: You should you should do that and then just be like, I see why you want to have some work done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see this places?
Speaker 3: You could do the construction yourself. Will you could go in just a tool belt?
Speaker 2: Did you want to did you want.
Speaker 3: To knock down this wall? Because i'mknoking down this wall?
Speaker 1: Great, just naked with a tool belt, but a Fisher Price tool belt just make it really creepy.
Speaker 4: I have one.
Speaker 1: I have one for you, little plastic kind of saws and stuff like that. Oh man, we could Yeah, I could escalate it. If he does it again, I think I'd have to say something.
Speaker 2: Even joking you have to kill him. I'd be like, I'd be like, dude, you can't.
Speaker 1: He can't just walk into the house, Like he can't just walk into our house. Yeah, okay, So I'm glad I wasn't wrong.
Speaker 4: You're not wrong. Oh god, I love that you think that because we've made fun of you so much for your safety stuff. You're like, maybe I really am is a man walking into my home?
Speaker 3: Too far?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 3: Can I can be a great.
Speaker 2: Checking I'm checking okay, good, Welcome to.
Speaker 4: Pad Meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel.
Speaker 6: I'm right or strong?
Speaker 2: Can I Can I come in? Can I come in the pod?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh thanks? And I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 4: Welcome to today's episode recap. It is season six, episode ten and in case I don't see you. It originally aired December fourth, nineteen ninety eight. The synopsis. In an effort to become more popular, Eric creates his own TV show similar to The Truman Show, but it's Rachel who becomes the campus darling. Meanwhile, Corey and Sean expect special treatment from mister Feenie. It was directed by David Kendall and it was written by Barry Safcheck. Before I jump into our guest stars, what are your overall thoughts? Well, I'm sure you have a bunch of stories about this week.
Speaker 1: I think I mercifully blocked this week from my head.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I don't remember much.
Speaker 1: I will say that this, to me is a tale of two shows. I thought the b story with Corey and Sean felt a little bit like Boy Meets World again, trying to pull one over on mister Feenie.
Speaker 6: So nice to get.
Speaker 1: Back to that Sean is Sean's you and Ben are just trying to make each other laugh time.
Speaker 2: I was so happy with that first line out of my mouth.
Speaker 6: I was like, that'sh Sean.
Speaker 3: Italian.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just so loved it.
Speaker 1: The Truman Show stuff was horrible and absolutely cringe really, and I just didn't like it.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't like anything about it.
Speaker 6: I thought it was you know, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't like anything about it.
Speaker 1: It was I just yeah, I get what they were doing was supposed to be the whole parody, but I didn't like it. I didn't like my performance. I didn't like the story. I thought it was weird and creepy.
Speaker 2: And I just it just wasn't. But I loved I thought the.
Speaker 5: Beast really enjoyed it. I totally thought it was fun. You know, it felt like it like it could have been another show, Like I don't know, but that's what I mean. It was, yeah, but it was fine, Like you know, I just totally.
Speaker 2: Wasn't It wasn't wasn't a fan of it, but loved the b story.
Speaker 1: Stuff felt like it was like Alan's being Alan again and Phoenie's being Phoenie, and Corey and Sean are Corey and Sean to Panga running after Phoenie.
Speaker 2: I loved all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I really didn't I I similarly to writer, I really enjoyed it for the most part. All of my all of my criticism are things where then I hear I think it to myself and I then think, Okay, well, this is what people talk about when they say you're just over analyzing it. Like in the scene where there's music playing when Eric is on the screen with Rachel and the Truman Show in the Sooon Union, there's music and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, who's playing the music? Where's the music?
Speaker 6: And it's like telling you where.
Speaker 4: Is that coming from? Like what is that?
Speaker 3: What's happening? So like okay, but who cares?
Speaker 6: Let me go movable sprinklers in the ceiling.
Speaker 5: I mean that's that's just like, okay, this is just so ridiculous.
Speaker 6: Used to see these.
Speaker 1: It's one of my performance stuff and stuff, you know. I thought was really funny with Sean. I thought Sean was really funny.
Speaker 3: And Sean's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Funny in this episode is so good and all that opening scene, I was like, oh, this could be a great episode, Like here we go. I was ready for it, and then when they got into the Truman show stuff, I was kind of like, yeah, it just it just wasn't for me.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 4: One of my other little criticisms about it was and I know that again, the whole point was just to do Truman so that we didn't need that much. We didn't need all that, but I did. I did wonder like, why does he come up? Why does he think this would make him popular? How does and then when he's not popular, how come then? Like because it doesn't make him popular, why doesn't that stop it?
Speaker 3: Right then and there? Like, Oh, they don't care about the right person, right.
Speaker 6: And I was.
Speaker 2: Also going to say I was also gonna say, I thought.
Speaker 1: I think it's weird coming off of last week's episode where Eric is like the popular guy in school and everyone's surround.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: But then I remembered what Ryder said about Maitland's hair, and her hair is long in this episode, so it is clearly out of order. Interesting, Yeah, because I remember what you said about how short her hair.
Speaker 2: Was last week.
Speaker 1: It's long in this episode, so this is out of order from how he shot it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I mean I was going to say, you know, jumping on what Danielle was saying. The problem that I did feel is like, and this is maybe the problem with Eric.
Speaker 6: I just don't know what his like essential motivation is.
Speaker 5: They like in this one he wants to be popular, and the other one he's easily popular, but he needs to do good in school. Sometimes it seems like it's about Maitland, like he wants Rachel, he wants a girlfriend, but it's he's which is like, not that big of a deal, except that in previous seasons, whenever Eric was doing something crazy, it always felt like, you know, he was because.
Speaker 1: He is a demotivate guy who needs to get he just wants a girl.
Speaker 5: And that was like three, which was fine. It's just we know, we know his shtick and he's going to do all the weird, crazy things, but they're all coming from like one central like motivated place.
Speaker 6: And then it was get at SAT's get it to college.
Speaker 5: And now I'm like, it's just weak to week whatever they really need to set up putting you in a costume and having you do something and while the end result is still hysterical most of the time and like.
Speaker 4: Whatever, it's fine.
Speaker 5: It does feel a little like this could be any three characters, and it's just Eric is just the loose cannon. Like Eric is just whatever whatever is going to throw three roommates into a crazy situation. Yeah, that's what Eric's going to be that week, And.
Speaker 2: Well I think that could.
Speaker 1: The writers have kind of said to us towards the end season six and season seven especially, it was like we kind of just wanted to see what you would do, right, So it's just like, let's see how far we could push it.
Speaker 2: Let's see what you could do. Let's make it wacky and funny.
Speaker 1: And that was just kind of my role in the show from now on is just random, unmotivated wacky craziness where I end up.
Speaker 6: And I think that's why I have no recollection of this.
Speaker 2: You know, I do what happened, but I didn't remember certain water and all that kind of Stuff's what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like I'm sitting, I'm like I was on set there, must have seen some of.
Speaker 1: The you know what.
Speaker 4: I remember the one thing I remembered, you spilling the soup.
Speaker 1: I remember that. I remember that too, the spilling the super Remember the soup.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing it in Run throughs. I remember the soup.
Speaker 4: That's the one thing I remember about the entire week, and it's probably just because it got an uproarious laugh and run throughs. And then also in taping.
Speaker 5: We probably weren't even there for most of the taping. We would have been checked out, Like if we had pre taped all the B story stuff, we would have just been like barely there on tape night then.
Speaker 2: And I also haven't shaved this week.
Speaker 4: For I do notice.
Speaker 3: Mustache. Yeah, but still peak will yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it.
Speaker 1: It's we're going downhill any second now, it's gonna know.
Speaker 2: It's you just watched the cliff that the cliff is coming.
Speaker 1: I'm Thelma and I'm holding hands with my younger self and.
Speaker 2: The cliff is coming.
Speaker 3: I know the feeling. But just you get a whole season.
Speaker 4: Well, I promise you get a whole You get a whole season.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 4: So guest starring Madison Igoton as young Rachel. Madison started her acting career as Picard's kid in the movie Star Trek Generations, and would also beer on Doctor Quinn, Medicine, Woman Er, Touched by an Angel and Everybody Hates Chris but she is best known as Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman's daughter in Stanley Kubrick's final movie, Eyes Wide Shot.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say she was best known her mom Cruise, Like, wait, what.
Speaker 4: Isn't that surprise. Her last acting credit was in twenty ten. She has since moved into the field of education, teaching at the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts and then opening her own company, The Theatrical Education Group and its Summer Arts Conservatory, teaching acting, dance, music, and the visual arts to kids between the ages.
Speaker 3: Of nine and fifteen.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 2: That's cool. And she was great. And that was a very funny scene.
Speaker 5: That was super funny, like the flashback to Bunny Baby. I was like, yeah, I know, yeah, there's no way we can. I don't know. I was.
Speaker 6: I was on board with it.
Speaker 1: This is an.
Speaker 3: Absurd and I did love that.
Speaker 4: Then it reminded me like, oh, yeah, he does mention at the beginning, why aren't you putting the food in the garbage disposal, like it.
Speaker 2: Really, you know, to give her the ocean that he hates.
Speaker 4: And then we have Sean Weiss. He's back as Louis universally beloved is Goldberg from the Mighty Ducks movies. He was in so much funny stuff in the nineties, and this is his second of two Boy Meets World episodes. Jumping into our recap, we start in the student union. It is filled with students hanging out, continuing the trend of lots of background actors in season six. Oh yeah, Eric's sporting some new facial hair and you're still wearing your same little choker necklace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still got some room.
Speaker 4: So okay, yeah, this is what you say. By the end of the season, it's a little tighter.
Speaker 2: The bear has run away.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, it's like, my face is blue because it's just I'm like, no, I could still wear it, and I'm just, oh man, if this is.
Speaker 2: Fine, my ears are red, like it's not good.
Speaker 4: He's sitting by himself, drinking coffee out of a brew lagoon mug and stuff, and there's Louis. He's back sitting at the table next to Eric, watching all their classmates mingle. He sighs. Pretty depressing, isn't it. Eric wonders who he's talking to. Louis was talking to himself, but says Eric seems to be in the same boat. And he gestures to the crowd look at him, smiling, laughing, having a good time. I hate them, Eric wonders who. Louie nods to the swarm them the popular. Eric scoffs, I'm popular, and the audience laughs, yeah, of course. Eric kindly offers Louie to come sit at his table, and Louie hardly considers it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: In return, Louis suggests that Eric sits with him. Eric quickly responds, nah, they agree, Well there it is. Then a voice over the PA one, Matt Kirkwood.
Speaker 2: Was it all I would recognize Kirkwood. That's good, right.
Speaker 4: A voice over the PA says, the Penbrook Harvest Mixer is about to start on the second floor, and remember only those with invitations may attend. Eric had begun to pack up his things and then slowly sits back down when he hears about the invites. Eric looks over at Louis looks like, it's just you and me. Huh. Louie jumps up, pulling an invitation out of his pocket. Now it's just you and he leaves. It's a great opening scene, really funny. Both of you guys are really great.
Speaker 2: I had high hopes at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were excited. Then we're back at the apartment.
Speaker 4: Rachel and Jack are in the kitchen when Eric enthusiastically joins them. He looks directly into the camera, grabs Jack's coffee mug, and performatively asks, is that one of those delicious cups of coffee from Brew Lagoon conveniently located in the peenburg?
Speaker 6: Is this just a choice?
Speaker 5: Because I had no idea where this episode was going, I was like, that's kind of a funny, like, is Will just doing this as a choice to just all of a sudden, I'm just breaking forth.
Speaker 6: That's actually kind of genius if we just went that that way.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, this was the first time I started questioning. I was like, wait, is he doing why would he do a commercial? Why is he doing a commercial for brew Lagoon? Yeah, so then this is the thing that started me with like, oh, he's doing this because he thinks this is going to make him popular. And so again what I'm trying to figure out, why is this his idea? And then I go, Okay, it's just literally it's just because Truman Show had come out this year and we we're just gonna do It's there really isn't any like true Eric motivating factor.
Speaker 3: It's just let's put Eric. Eric gets this idea.
Speaker 2: And he's starting with a commercial.
Speaker 1: And as I mean, as you guys know from reading our reviews, what people normally love and makes you popular as ads, Yes.
Speaker 4: They love ads. The more ads you have, the higher they rate your show.
Speaker 3: Correct, you know.
Speaker 1: That's why we started with the BRU Lagoon ad by the world now sponsored by brew Lagoon Lagoon when your lagoon in the morning, every morning.
Speaker 4: Two cups of BW Lagoon, sometimes one right before bed, just because I can't get an out of your day.
Speaker 3: Is the content free?
Speaker 4: We don't care. We still don't want commercial too.
Speaker 2: Many at the button three times.
Speaker 3: Sometimes four sometimes for star one star one star.
Speaker 4: Jack wonders why he's talking like that, and Eric Joviali responds, I'm not confused. Jack notices that Rachel is scraping her leftovers into the trash and he wonders why she isn't scraping it into the garbage disposal. Rachel coldly responds, I'd just rather do it this way, okay, and then she quickly storms off.
Speaker 1: Now that used to be because in the Thanksgiving episode that was where the oven was, because remember we pull out the ry.
Speaker 2: So that they just had some construction done.
Speaker 4: Art above the stove gone, it's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no I don't know when it last food, but yeah, we had construction obviously done on the in his apartment because it was like, you know what, we really like this, this ovens in the wrong place.
Speaker 4: You know what, now that you've a woman living with you, you can't She had to make she had to put a feminine touch on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's garbage disposal, really.
Speaker 4: Is for sure, and getting rid of art and getting rid of exactly very famid. Jack follows her while Eric watches it all go down with a smile on his face. He excitedly announces, have a good morning, and in case I don't see you, good evening, good afternoon, and good night, which is a catchphrase from the nineteen ninety eight Jim Carrey movie The Truman Show.
Speaker 6: Oh, so that line is a direct Truman Show reference.
Speaker 1: But with one of them switched, because I think it's good afternoon, good evening, and good night in the Truman Show, and so we baically couldn't say that, so we say good evening, good afternoon, and night. Switch it up obviously because we can't say exactly the same way, which doesn't make sense, but it doesn't who I mean, it's the Truman Show and there's water coming from the ceiling, so I.
Speaker 4: Know, I just I can't believe how early in life Eric was on streaming his life, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the first is this pre or post what's it called ed TV, the one with at the same time, which was kind of like the first one about streaming your life places, and I mean, it was all.
Speaker 6: This anxiety about reality TV.
Speaker 2: You know, what does it mean?
Speaker 6: Is this entertainment? And are we exploiting people?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: Everyone's just like, that's just that's just every human everybody is their own reality TV show.
Speaker 2: Yep, We're all just ourselves.
Speaker 4: So we're back in the student union. Louie and a group of excited college boys are gathered around the TV, cheering at the screen. Jack walks by and wonders what's all the excitement. Louie can't wait to tell him eleven am, she just got back from the gym. A little sweaty, very sexy drives me crazy, dude.
Speaker 6: I love everybody sitting with the TV off to the.
Speaker 4: Side, as opposed to putting it in front of them, which you can't do.
Speaker 6: The couch even to face that way. It's just such an awkward position.
Speaker 1: How about the fact though, that they're they're watching this show as as a group.
Speaker 2: Matt was just on the television screen, right you think?
Speaker 1: He walks again and he's like, what are they doing? Like, Oh, there's this awesome show. Weren't you just watching?
Speaker 3: You were just watching seconds ago? So that I watched him in the brew Lagoon commercials, they.
Speaker 6: Can't take of.
Speaker 1: How do they not recognize the guy that was literally just on screen fifteen seconds ago?
Speaker 4: So so Jack has no idea what he's referring to. So Louis simply points to the TV her and there they are Eric and Rachel right there on the screen. Eric is playing with sock puppets and Rachel is holding laundry in the background, wearing only a towel. I guess she's looking for her clothes she's gonna wear that day.
Speaker 2: She got to go in the in the showers exactly.
Speaker 4: Louie points out the girl behind the unpopular guy doing the puppet show. Jack's jaw is on the floor. What is going on? And then we're in a new set at a brunch and I for a second when the scene started, I felt like I did at the beginning of season six with all of these storylines with the three of them in the apartment, I was like, did I mit we.
Speaker 3: Are they on vacation?
Speaker 4: Did I miss this?
Speaker 1: Is it a be?
Speaker 3: Where are we? And why?
Speaker 4: Like it started on Phoenie, so I was like, Okay, Phoenie's there, but where they're.
Speaker 3: In a hotel? I had no idea what was going on.
Speaker 5: The only news set that really works in my mind is the student union, like everything else that's been introduced. Actually the classroom felt somewhat comfortable this time, yeah, but like otherwise, it's just every time, like what where are we?
Speaker 6: I know what hallway is this?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 6: Where are the dorms?
Speaker 3: The whose room?
Speaker 6: It's just I don't know if something's off, and I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's just that I don't actually remember filming in them because walking do.
Speaker 2: You not remember this? Do you not remember this at all? Like the sets, the scene and none of you know?
Speaker 6: What's funny?
Speaker 5: Some lines came back to me, like the stuff where Ben and I were like mocking each like doing in the kitchen, what's bad Yeah, and like that, like my brain started going like, oh yes, like I remember this, Like I have an echo of me and Ben having like loving these bits, and you can tell having.
Speaker 6: So much fun and this is so much fun.
Speaker 5: You know this is by this time Ben and I just have mind meld, you know, actor mind beld, and so I could feel that coming back. But no, I couldn't have told you why we were doing that. I just knew, like if you had played that scene for me, I'd be.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, yeah, yeah that one.
Speaker 5: But no, Foenie grades what none of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so funny. I only remember the soup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember some of the stuff I remember, Well, we'll get to it. I remember the two women clutching the pillows.
Speaker 3: Oh I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. It's a Truman Show trope, so that I remembered it is really just it was. It's a straight take from that, I mean, down to what I'm wearing. It's it's it's exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah And.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Harris.
Speaker 2: Ed As that character would have been so fun. Is so much different.
Speaker 3: If I just keep naming Ed's will eventually get there. No, I don't want to move on.
Speaker 2: Name another one. You've done two now third ed.
Speaker 4: Edward Edward House, I worked with him. I already said ed TV.
Speaker 2: So the word ed has been said more times exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay. So Phoene sits at a table while a chef makes Sean an omelet. Sean is concerned the chef didn't actually put three cheeses in there? Where's the gouda? The chef fixes the issue, but doesn't say anything because that would trigger sag fees.
Speaker 6: A scene with him time.
Speaker 2: But Sean's back.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 5: You can my whole body language is differ. Yeah, it's like I'm just inhabiting the character again.
Speaker 1: Feels the same, and you're having fun and you can tell you're having fun of it, and I really hope.
Speaker 5: I mean, so it's like all this pressure when we're the A story, you know, like I just want us to be the Bee story more because this is so much nicer.
Speaker 2: Min man, that's mine.
Speaker 3: Sean is satisfied. There's a lot writing on these eggs.
Speaker 4: Then Corey runs up with a waffle he made for Feeni, complete with blueberry eyes and a whip cream smile. Sean thinks their plan is going to work, but Corey is concerned it's a Tad morally wrong. Sean brushes him off. All we're doing is treating the man who has been a driving force in our lives to a brunch, and if he happens to go a little easier on us in class because of it, so be it. The guys take their seats with Phoenie and serve him the waffle and omelet they so graciously retrieved from the bet for the best educator in America. Sean even counts the three cheeses, and Foene grins, I do like Gouda, I like that you go. I knew that, I knew that, I knew that. Phoene assures them brunch really wasn't necessary. Sean insists, it's our way of saying things. On cue. A finally dressed waiter brings walks by with another bottle of champagne, and Corey happily pours it into Phoene's glass. Sean admits they're just happy to sneak away from their studies for a moment. Phoene asks been burning the midnight oil? Have you? Corey turns on the drama They are killing us. I mean that Professor Williams is a sadist. Phoenix why why why.
Speaker 2: Make it Professor Williams.
Speaker 1: This is now the second and third time they've named a character after another character that was written on Jonathan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a guy was Jonathan. Now we have the Professor Williams.
Speaker 2: Like why we can't we three names in the whole history? Like why is that necessary?
Speaker 6: Keeping track?
Speaker 5: I mean, would anybody I means on the show like.
Speaker 6: Three years out twenty two episodes, which means how many pitches and names and scripts that make one through just to get to where they land?
Speaker 2: Had Professor Williams on the show already and we wrote him off.
Speaker 5: This is like shows now have like bibles and like, you know, the can just pictures.
Speaker 3: On the wall of characters you've had.
Speaker 6: But back then anybody was keeping track.
Speaker 1: It's just I mean, it's just the easiest just sitting there going why why why?
Speaker 2: This is the second time they've done this now why? Yeah? I didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Phoene explains there's always one tough class, but the boys wish that was the case. They're all ridiculous. Shawn instantly offers phoenea scone. Phoene says, well, no, he has too much food already. But Sean disagrees. He calls Phoene ripped and cut. Cory then offers sim some jelly.
Speaker 3: Phoene cuts to the chase, what's the deal?
Speaker 4: They play dumb, and Corey explains, your words hurt like fists.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 6: Hurt like fists.
Speaker 4: They're merely taking him out as a thank you. Sean adds, and we know that you've got a vested interest in us and want to see us do well, and Phoene agrees. Corey continues, we want you to know we'll try very, very hard in your class. Sean lay's on the pressure, even though we've got so much work in all our other classes. They're killing us. We can't even breathe. But Corey assures him we do not want any special treatment or consideration, and Sean continues on, and we don't want you to think of this brunch as a bribe. Phoene is unamused. You want an extension on your midterm papers? Sean responds, without a second thought, we'll give you one hundred bucks cash right now.
Speaker 3: Phoene says they didn't have to go through all this.
Speaker 4: If they need help, they can just ask. Corey pleads, we just need a few days Sean offers four. Phoene counters with three, so Sean negotiates against himself two too.
Speaker 6: Dumb, Sean, I love it.
Speaker 4: So cool.
Speaker 5: I love this because there's a they didn't quite lean into this enough for in my opinion. But there's a little bit of the Member of the Pop Quiz episode where it's like we are like, oh, we can get the answers and then study, and then they're like, that's called school.
Speaker 6: There's a little bit of like, this is what college is about. You just communicate with your teacher and.
Speaker 5: You probably like they want you to learn, you know, like they're not trying to have a gotcha moment. They're trying to for you to If you need a couple extra days, if you plan ahead, that's easy, you know exactly let them know. And I kind of love that. You know, they're like thinking they got one over on fee. But you know there's another answer, which is just like.
Speaker 6: Anybody can do this.
Speaker 4: I just talked to me.
Speaker 5: You know, you're a college student. Now, they're not legally required to be here.
Speaker 4: Correct. Correct. Also, you probably have a job and other response. You may have children, for all I know, Like, yeah, Phoene folds it too and pretends to be bummed about it. Sean boasts, Now that's how you make a deal. Corey isn't bothered. He offers phoene more bubbly, and then we're back in the student union. Eric is back on the TV, but this time he's showing the viewers how.
Speaker 3: To eat soup.
Speaker 4: If it's hot, you can blow on it. The college viewers are bored out of their minds, waiting for something good to happen. Back at the apartment, the door swings open. It's Jack, he shouts, forcing Eric to drop the bowl of soup on his lap.
Speaker 3: You make a real funny little rat face.
Speaker 2: And like a milling sound.
Speaker 5: I wish the tag for this episode was just the outtakes of Eric like trying like what what?
Speaker 6: What the show that Eric was trying to do with a sock puppet.
Speaker 4: Honestly, every episode should end with just the outtakes of what Will did that week?
Speaker 3: It just every week should be.
Speaker 5: That, in my I mean the fictional show that Eric was trying to entertain, like before he realized this what he was doing?
Speaker 6: You about soup?
Speaker 4: Like what else?
Speaker 5: Would They could have come up with a hundred things and just let Will do it, it would have been hysterical.
Speaker 1: I went back and I watched The Puppet Show a few times where I was like, what am I trying to do?
Speaker 2: Because they're kissing. They're kissing his face at the end, and I was like, what was I What was I trying?
Speaker 1: I watch a whole hour when I was planning, and when you lift your.
Speaker 4: Arms up, I don't know. Yeah, I was like, what, Jack can't believe this? How long have you been filming us? Eric's voice turns obsessed. It's not film, it's live, it's spontaneous, it's unrehearsed. Absolutely anything can happen, even this. He pulls Jack and close and forces him to dance. Back at the student union, Louis tells his friends told you they were gay, and one of the guy's hands him money and defeat. Back at the apartment, Jack asks, why would you do this? Eric turns dramatically vulnerable. You want to know. I was afraid. Okay, I'm afraid to just be another face in the college crowd. I just want people to know me. Maybe if they do, then they'd come over and sit with me in the morning and just drink a cup of coffee. And here's he's explaining this, but that wasn't he It wasn't bothering him. And he even said when he said, you're sitting here alone and he's like, I'm popular.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But then he's also playing it as if he's like heightening the drama to like what.
Speaker 1: Then, but staring at Jack, I should have turned towards the camera and like, you know what the problem, Like I should have gone.
Speaker 5: You were kind of I don't think they intended it, and I think you were because I think the motivation is so bad, like what Danielle's pointed out, like it doesn't really make sense that you, just as an actor, decided to heighten the melodrama. You make a big part of the character, right, and so I feel like it was not a directorial or writing choice that you were just like this, I'm not going to actually have to say this stupid.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe like, but I'm just sitting there going like why is he playing this to Jack? Turned towards the camera, milk it, Like that's the whole point is you want you you think you're trying to get. So maybe his motivation is if my television show about myself becomes popular, I'll become popular, so they're gonna want the high drama and I'm going to turn but it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was then played to Jack.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of in between, right, Yeah, yeah, that's maybe that was my problem with this a story. Was that a lot of it, like at the end, which we'll get to where she's about to crawl over the thing and I'm like losing it and I've created or shit, it.
Speaker 2: Was in between? Is it melodrama? Did I mean it? And so maybe I didn't commit to either one, and that's what's throwing me.
Speaker 6: I don't know who was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very odd to me.
Speaker 4: Eric turns to the camera. He did this to be popular. Louis is disgusted. How does he have a show and I don't. Then Rachel appears, still in a towel. The hornball dudes in the student union cheer uncontrollably.
Speaker 1: There she is.
Speaker 4: Rachel wants to know what's going on. Jack tells her, congratulations, you're on TV. He turns on the television and there she is. Apparently it's on every TV set just the minute you turn it on. Is that so because you're not on the college campus, it's just like in everyone everyone in the near vicinity has this channel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, channel channels, so like small telepublic, they would air it, you know, in the in the air, literally airing waves of television.
Speaker 3: So apparently it's on every TV channel.
Speaker 4: She is stunned. Who else is watching? Jack tells her it's a big crowd at the student union. Rachel looks furious, but Louie is eating it up. It's almost worth the twenty three hours of crap just to get to this. The dude's cheer and approval back on the TV. Rachel sprints to her room, embarrassed. Eric doesn't get it. Everyone's watching because of him. Jack says he knows for a fact they're watching her. Eric doesn't get it. Why would they watch her? She's not even dressed.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: He instantly gets it, and then we're back in Phoene's classroom. Phoene tells the class he would like them to finish reading the Canterbury Tales and be prepared to discuss Chaucer's intent.
Speaker 6: I guess this is poetry, yeah, and German poetry is what we are so stressed up.
Speaker 4: It's too hard, guys, really sure he loves poetry, loves.
Speaker 1: Poetry exactly what rhymes with extension, so yeah, hey, at least they're they're keeping it consistent with what Phoene's teaching.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for the most.
Speaker 4: Part, it's a good point.
Speaker 2: That's something.
Speaker 4: As the students stand to leave, Phoene asks for one more minute. He has their midterm papers. Angela prepares, well, it's our first real big grades. Ta Panga doesn't understand why she'd be nervous. She's a great student and she worked really hard on it. To Pega turns to the boys and reassures them remember this is only one grade. Phoene places Corey in Sean's test face down on their desks. The two boys look at each other and decide to check at the same time. One, two, three. They flip over the papers in unison. Sean squeals, haha, I got a bee. Corey beams me too. To Pega's very happy for both of them. Then she looks at her own paper, adding that Corey's parents will be very proud. What is this?
Speaker 3: Sean points out that it's a bee.
Speaker 4: They all got the same grade. Angela jumps in, I got a B plus, but to Pega doesn't care. How did I get the same grade as these two schlubs the gang leaves. In the middle of Tabanga's breakdown, she's very concerned.
Speaker 5: Like, my favorite moment of the entire episode is when Ben and I do that little like one two three flip. It's so, yeah, you know why, I'm trying to think about what it's because it's not a joke. It's just it's it's just watching Corey and Sean be friends. And it's like, yeah, so long since they they're not like and you're just watching that they have like their own language, their own stuff. And it was like very real, you know, like we played it for real, like we're like, okay, are you ready, And it was like it wasn't performative friendship.
Speaker 6: It was just you know, which is you know, obviously.
Speaker 5: The point of a show is to perform the friendship and whatever. But in that moment, it was just felt like a real friendship. And I was just like, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 6: Seeing like a quiet moment.
Speaker 5: Moment of like Corey and Sean and also Ben and Ryder to a certain extent too. It was like it was just so relaxed, and I just had this like little window of like, oh right, that was that's friendship, and that was in my life too, Like there was this like casual like confidence and just like we're in this together.
Speaker 6: I don't know, it was really you're also but you're.
Speaker 1: Also no longer the relationship because the relationship has become Corey Topanga right, and Sean's kind of Sean Angela. And then they broke up, so Sean's kind of on an island a bit. So it's nice to just it's like it's Corey and Shawn again.
Speaker 6: That's what I felt.
Speaker 2: I liked that moment.
Speaker 1: But you guys in the next scene with Alan just playing off of each other, I could watch, which is yes.
Speaker 3: That is like, you know, the performative it wasting.
Speaker 6: This was like there's no joke, there's no point to this. It's just seeing them living and like I just felt it. It was it just.
Speaker 5: Warmed my heart.
Speaker 4: That's so sweet.
Speaker 3: She turns to the student next to her. What did you get?
Speaker 4: Sean and Corey thank Feoene for the bees. Phoene retorts, don't think me. You did the work, Corey grinns. Believe me, you're gonna be just as happy with the next one. Phoene asks, are you aware that the next paper was due yesterday? They quickly tried their best to come up with an excuse. Corey finally lands on, that's what we wanted to talk to you about. Remember how you said we can always come to you. Well we're here, sewn. How about three days. Phoene responds, no days. Sean tries again two days, and Phoenie reiterates no days. Corey tries to intervene, but Sean shushes him. He's negotiating. Phoenie wants to understand this. You just decided that I would give you another extension. Corey explains, well, because of our long history together. Phoene is unamused. So you just didn't bother to do the papers at all. There's a moment of silence, and then Corey goes back to an old favorite.
Speaker 3: They're killing us.
Speaker 4: Phoene responds, I see, well, there's no need for you to turn in your papers at all. Boys, Sean and Corey smirk at this news sounds good. Phoene continues, I can give you your grades right now. The boys are still smiling even better, but he snaps them back to reality.
Speaker 3: You both get f's.
Speaker 4: The boys can't believe this. That's not fair, Phoene says, there's nothing more to discuss. Meanwhile, to Penga shouts Phaine. He looks at her wide eyed, huh oh, and he runs out of the classroom door to Panga follows close behind.
Speaker 3: Don't you run away from me, you old goat?
Speaker 1: Wow wow great, you just like, oh god, it's the only person that Phoenie to be afraid of is to Panga.
Speaker 2: Right, it's just great.
Speaker 4: I do love it. Left behind, the boys are disappointed. Sean admits I thought he was our friend. Cory agrees, he gave us an extension on the mid term. What's the big deal with this one? Sean feels like he's two different people. Corey nods, I thought we had a special relationship with him. And then on cue, right out the window we see Tapanga angrily chasing Phoene down. Phoenie, you change this, and then we have a rare return to the Matthew's kitchen. Yeah so nice. Phoene is sitting with Alan is a pregnant Amy, serving some cookies. Since they haven't picked a name for the baby yet, Phoene throws out an idea, I myself have always been partial to George. Alan wonders, George, George Matthews, we'll throw that into the hat. Phoene explains that the Germanic origin of his name means watch out, the sheep are coming.
Speaker 6: I don't think that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think it is just a little, you.
Speaker 6: Know, Foie making up a fact.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 3: Is he doing it as a joke.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think he's joking, right, it's I think everybody knows.
Speaker 6: But then the way that it's I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know either.
Speaker 6: I think it joke.
Speaker 4: The name George originates from the Greek word giorgos, meaning farmer or earthworker. Okay, okay, all right, all right, so that's kind of it's a player coming.
Speaker 6: Sheep is Jason.
Speaker 4: Amy is suddenly now less intrigued, sarcastically saying they all think on that. Then Corey and Sean walk in. They spot Foenie and asked what he's doing here. Alan asks them about the tension. Sean replies, well, why don't you ask him? Amy reminds them it's mister Feenie to them, but Feenie interjects, this is simple a matter between a teacher and his students. But Alan won't stand for it. He demands that the boys never use that tone of voice with this man. Corey argues, this man in the back, Rusty plays it really hard. It's very serious.
Speaker 6: Too much for me, it was I.
Speaker 5: Think the lines could have worked, but they pushed it and Rusty. I think maybe Rusty was actually in a bad movie.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe he was upset.
Speaker 6: Because Ben and I had lost a couple of takes already, like.
Speaker 5: By maybe I don't know, but I was like, this is a weird choice and it's a little too too much.
Speaker 3: I agree, it was a little.
Speaker 4: It was a little like, oh, half half the room is in a same one and the other half of the room is and feeling yea very upset.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so phoene is sorry they feel that way.
Speaker 4: He walks toward the door, telling Amy, this coffee is so good. I'm taking it with me now. With Feeney gone, Amy narrows her eyes at the boys. This better be real good. Alan doesn't even want to hear about it. They were incredibly rude. He's gonna punish them right now. Corey reminds his dad, you can't punish us. We're in college. Alan suggests, how about I hit you so hard you're back in high school.
Speaker 1: Wow, it seems like an escalation that didn't yet it necessarily, but.
Speaker 5: Also it starts there like the second and I'm gonna.
Speaker 6: We're not.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Corey and Sean say Pheenie double crossed them, and Corey tells his version of the story. We came to him as friends and told him how swamped we were with our other classes. Sean picks up the story, explaining that Pheenie let them slide on the midterm because he understood. Then Corey says, he kills us on the next paper. Amy wonders, and what was your great? Corey shouts, we didn't even turn it in. He thinks that's an f He didn't even let them explain. Alan repeats their problem back to them, just to make sure he's understanding this correctly.
Speaker 3: They believed Feenie would let them.
Speaker 4: Slide on every paper for the rest of their academic lives because he gave them one extension. Sean nods yeah. Cory asks, where's bad? Amy explains, it's bad that mister Feeney couldn't give you guys a break without you taking advantage of him. Alan now stands face to face with his son. You may be in college, but you still have a lot of growing up to do. He glares at Sean and the boy. I knows, how does this result they ever gonna be able to be in the same room.
Speaker 3: He spits on him, kicks his face and walks out. Walk You're no son of mine. I changing the will.
Speaker 4: Then we're back at the apartment opera music is blasting, Rachel thing.
Speaker 5: I just love that Shawn just hops up on the counter in that scene, and like the familiarity, Like.
Speaker 6: I'd love to go back and see how that came about, like if that was Kendall or me.
Speaker 2: It just happened.
Speaker 5: But it like breaks up the scene a little bit too, like the way you know, Cory and I are standing neck because otherwise, if we were just in a line doing that line, yeah, the imitation thing, it wouldn't be as funny.
Speaker 3: Oh, we know how much you don't like people in the line, talking things.
Speaker 1: Out, dancing, acting anything with lines, riders not a fan.
Speaker 4: People in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: It's it's dark, you know what I know.
Speaker 5: I know so much of your job is this is breaking up. Now we figure out not just everybody standing there.
Speaker 4: You'll sit on the let, you'll sit on the arm of the couch. You stand, you'll be behind the couch. You're going to be over here facing this direction, but still open for camera for one line.
Speaker 1: I prefer one line and no furniture, just everyone in a blank room and one line talking.
Speaker 2: That's how I like.
Speaker 1: By the way, what do you think the chances are, just for my own edification, that they still own the Wilderness Store?
Speaker 2: I mean, is that still what they do?
Speaker 3: Is still their job?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 6: I mean the.
Speaker 1: Baby, Yeah, that's they better be getting some serious tent money because they got a lot of lot of kids to take care of.
Speaker 5: It's just crazy to think how much effort was expended on you to develop it, to tell a whole story, to make it about the relationship, getting the store, and that it's like he's building that huge set.
Speaker 4: Jesus, it's crazy.
Speaker 6: To just drop it, like to just gonference it. It's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they still have it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Maybe it's just, uh, they've got other people running it. It's just making passive income.
Speaker 2: At this point.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 2: It's they franchised. It's huge.
Speaker 1: It's bass. I was going to say they changed it to they sold it to bass pro shops. They're multimillionaires at this point. It's just part of the story we didn't know about.
Speaker 4: So opera music is blasting. Rachel rushes to turn off the stereo in the kitchen, but when she powers it down, the music only pauses for a moment before it starts up again. She turns it off again and it plays again. The cycle continues on and on, and we see Eric sitting in a director's chair, dressed exactly like Ed Harris in the Truman Show. He's the one who rigged the stereo to do this trick, just like O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Ed Norton.
Speaker 4: There you go, director Edwards hands. Director Eric is sitting in the student union, flanked by a ton of male students watching on and off. Louis as I.
Speaker 5: Missed all the Truman Show references before, so this is what I was like, Oh, it's a Truman show, really, yes, well up until now it's a hidden camera thing.
Speaker 6: No one's manipulating it right, right, But.
Speaker 4: Even personally, you didn't remember just a couple of weeks ago, when Will was like, well, we've got that Truman show up coming.
Speaker 6: Up, we didn't. You got to listen to him, Will when did you get here?
Speaker 4: Force? I tried to tune him out out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah. I figured you knew it was a parody.
Speaker 1: Show.
Speaker 6: It's a good movie, I gotta but yeah, so no, I didn't get the whatever the catchphrase that you said, right, so it's.
Speaker 3: A seventeen minute like yeah, I was like, oh, that's what this is.
Speaker 1: They also noticed what they did very cleverly, is that I'm surrounded by guys and one woman who's they right front and center, like right next to me. And actually she does a great job because every time anything kind of sexist is said, it's her face is like disgusted. It's great, go back to Really, her performance throughout the scene is very it's great. I like that.
Speaker 4: So Louie asks Eric, you got a button on that thing that gets her naked so she might give a nice face.
Speaker 2: She's like like, yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: The men are excited at the prospect, but Eric yells at them to stop. Don't talk about my Rachel that way, all right. I created her in my own image. She's like my daughter. Watch what I do to her now. Then he clicks a button and the TV screen shuts off. The men all yell and protest. Eric tells them to calm down. This is the first time he's ever controlled a human being. He'll get her back. He presses a button and the TV is back on, but Rachel is nowhere to be found. Eric scans the room and announces in a godlike tone, come into the living room, Rachel. Rachel emerges from her bedroom and Eric continues come downstairs, Rachel. She heils out Eric, where are you? He mysteriously replies I'm over here, and she looks around the room. Puzzled. She asks where he is, and he answers in the student union. Even the guys know that was a mistake. He quickly corrects himself, I'm in your mind. I'm in the student union, of your mind. Rachel isn't pleased. She turns on the TV to find herself on screen again. She reminds Eric he said he was going to stop this. She calls out for Jack, but Eric tries to convince her this isn't about me anymore, Rachel. This is about you. You're what the people want. The guys all agree creepily. Eric gives Louis the chance to speak to her through the headset. Rachel, it's me, Louie. I love you.
Speaker 2: He's so good.
Speaker 4: Rachel inches closer to the camera with a smile. She bends down and asks Louie to tell her about himself. In response, Louie falls backwards off the couch. Jack walks out to find Rachel talking to the TV. Is Eric still doing this? Rachel says yes, he's in the student union controlling everything. Then thunder sounds in the apartment, catching Rachel off guard. Jack calms her it's nothing, just a simple sound effect coming out of the stereo. But then rain pours down from the ceiling directly onto only Jack. He admits, that's impressive.
Speaker 2: That's impressive.
Speaker 4: He tries to step aside, but the small flow of rain follows him again, just like the Truman Show.
Speaker 6: I would love to see how they did this. Do you remember this at all?
Speaker 1: Now? You can see it kind of wobble a bit as it some kind of like yeah, yeah, cranky thing that they're using to follow.
Speaker 6: Somebody like literally on the catwalk or no, because it's now much higher.
Speaker 4: It seems like it's probably somebody on a tall structure on the other side of the door, and they've got the know they've got something from the catwalk, the rain machine from the catwalk, and then there's just a up something they're pulling. And it's because they it only has to move, you know, to ten inches feet Now, I don't even think that far. I think maybe a foot. He just takes one step.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true.
Speaker 4: You know, it takes one step to his left or his right. So I think they just then because you do see it. It doesn't ever, it's not a straight line. It like is on a little bit of an angle.
Speaker 2: Does so it's bobbles.
Speaker 5: And if they have another one over by the sink or do you think they like reset and moved the same?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 6: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I wish I remembered. I don't remember how they did it. Kendall would know, yeah, remember that.
Speaker 5: I would just love to see a wide photograph of like that whole set up setup, with you know, Matt in the frame, Like.
Speaker 6: How did they you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, slightly breaking, Jack wonders, where have I seen this before? Rachel says they need to get out of there, and she runs to the front door. Where have I seen this before? Is he also just recognizing that it's.
Speaker 2: Truman Show, that it's the Truman Show.
Speaker 4: Yep, be sure, okay, okay. But when she opens it, there's a brick wall blocking the entrance. She screams, but Jack gives credit where credit's due. Wow, he's really thought this one out.
Speaker 6: I think I should have watched this again. But I think the brick wall wobbles.
Speaker 1: Yes, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, I should look back. It's a scrim I no, I just think.
Speaker 5: It's you know, it's like a plywood painted all. But there was something about the way she opened the door was like, that doesn't seems solid.
Speaker 1: I like how Jack is almost proud of Eric at that moment. He really though through, like really th this one out. He's got to kill us, But god, he really thought it out, Like it's so funny.
Speaker 4: Rachel suggests the balcony, but Jack reminds her it's three stories down. They can't do that. Back in the student union, Eric is still watching their every move. He lets the crowd in on a little secret. The only way out is through the window over the sink and down the fire escape. Back at the apartment, Jack informs Rachel the only way out is through the window over the sink and down the fire escape. Louis sees them escaping. Oh no, we'll lose her before shower time. Eric calmly states she's not going anywhere. We see Jack climb out the window first, and then he offers Rachel a hand. Director Eric warns watch this, then presses a button, causing Rachel to shriek with terror. He's triggered the garbage disposal and she's terrified. Jack doesn't understand what is she scared of. Eric whispers for Rachel to tell him, and so Rachel admits bunny baby, and that triggers a flashback.
Speaker 6: This is like, this is when I was like this episode totally great.
Speaker 2: Like I was just like I love this moment.
Speaker 5: Go to a.
Speaker 6: Flashback of like baby bunny dying.
Speaker 5: Like once I saw what was happening, I was like, Okay, that's great, Yes, just go there, go crazy.
Speaker 4: You know, Oh it is so funny.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: We see Rachel as a little girl walking up to the same holding a stuffed animal bunny. She asks her bunny baby if he wants to play down the bunny hole. It's where her mom puts all the carrots. She sticks the poor stuffed animal into the garbage disposal announces, let me put the light on so you can see. Then accidentally she turns on the garbage disposal. Bunny baby spirals into the death trap. Rachel screams as little fuzzy pieces fly into the air.
Speaker 5: The horror.
Speaker 4: The flashback ends and Rachel is shaking inside of her apartment. Jack crawls back in and pulls her into his arms for comfort. The student used to watch his on.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because he's taller than her.
Speaker 1: So it's like, okay, so he obviously whatever stool they use to climb over the thing, He's like, stand.
Speaker 4: On this, understand right here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I like this here. The student union watches on and awe, Louie can't control his emotions. You heartless, unfeeling control freak. It's no wonder you're not popular. Everyone boos Eric. Eric commands them to be quiet. This is great TV. This is human drama unfolding before you. He gets closer to the TV as Rachel and Eric at more intense. Jack tells her it's the only way. He climbs out of the window and once again offers her his hand. She shakes her head, she can't do it. Back at the union, Eric presses a button that starts her own individual raincloud, completely drenching her. She turns toward the camera with vengeance. I will kill him. Jack reminds her that she has to go through the window. Rachel, now knowing it's the only way, walks toward the sink. Just then Eric is hit with the reality of what he's done. What's the point of being popular when I just hurt the only two people who even tolerated me. I am a monster, He speaks into his headset Rachel, come on, you can do it.
Speaker 3: You gotta go over, Rachel.
Speaker 4: The crowd of students join in on the encouragement. Eric tells her do it for bunny Baby. She looks to the camera bunny Baby. Then she grabs Jack's hand and steps on the sink. She's facing her fears. They leave out the window and the entire student union are reps in cheer. Rachel hugs Jack on the fire escape, then pokes her head back through the window and bows to her audience. Eric chef kisses his own work. Eric turns off the TV and faces the crowd. He dramatically wipes a tear from his cheek, goes right into his academy awards mode. You have just witnessed the triumph of the human spirit, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who helped me with this. I'd like to think the guys in the audio visual department, the wonderful people at Milt's Masonry who built that brick wall, my roommate Jack, and the heroine of our saga and on cue. Rachel enters the student union. Eric is shocked. You got here incredibly fast. She responds, well, I was incredibly motivated. Eric says he is so proud of her, and then Louis speaks up, geez, you're a freaking amazon. Rachel commands him out of her way, and she stomps up to Eric, slightly afraid. He reminds her it was he who created her, it was he who gave her life. He softly touches her face, and Rachel's scowl turns into a smile. Eric realizes this is really gonna hurt, isn't it. She grabs his hand and hurls him onto the floor. There's like a sound effect of your handbreaking, right.
Speaker 1: Is there?
Speaker 4: Just make that up?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Yeah, the way she like bends your hand and I swear I here like probably yeah, because they added all that.
Speaker 6: Score in all the Truman Show sequences. So yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Students burst into applause, and we revealed two old ladies who were sitting nearby and holding pillows with Rachel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in Truman Show, they at the end when he finally leaves, there's these two women, Like one of the runners is they keep cutting to the same families watching the show. There's one guy in the bathtub, there's one guy in the parking garage. And one of the people they keep cutting to is these two old women who are clutch pillows with Truman's face on it. So yeah, they did exactly, Like yeah, just a it's a funny pull from that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, we're back at brunch. Sean is getting another omelet from the chef, reminding him again about the Gouda. Then Corey races up to Sean waffle in hand. Now it has a sorrow face. Sean loves it. They hand the goodies over to Feenie and he wonders, why is my waffle so sad? And Corey reveals because we are. Sean nods in agreement, sad that we ever took advantage of our friendship. They continue listing reasons why they're sad, and Sean confesses, I'm sad. The whole thing blew up in our faces. He's sad, but he's honest. Phoene reminds them that they've already apologized. None of this is necessary. He takes a bite of the omelet love that goudha. Corey begs to differ, it is necessary, and we have something else for you. Sean chimes in, remember that paper we never turned in. The boys pull out pieces of paper. We stayed up all night and did it anyway. They figured it was the right thing to do, and they'd like to receive their grades based on the strengths of their efforts, not on the strengths of their friendship. Phoene pulls out his red grading pen and takes a look at the essays. He's deeply, deeply touched. He writes down their grades without hesitation. He's given them both f's. The boys quickly stand to leave and take Phoene's plates of food with them.
Speaker 6: And when the egg.
Speaker 2: Egg, oh my gosh, genius.
Speaker 4: It is so funny, Phoene shouts after them. What would a D minus get me a waffle? Is chucked back at the table and response and he goes back to eat.
Speaker 5: To go back in time and just see the like the rehearsal for that moment, like because like I have a feeling Ben and I never even had to like like we didn't have to go like you pick that up and all tack that up. I bet you, like first rehearsal you were like and go and like yeah, because that was the way we worked at this point. It was just like, oh, we have to clear this table as quickly as possible, and the two of us would just do it every time having to talk about it. It's like that kind of actor thing that you get from, you know, being in a company with somebody or being just but.
Speaker 6: I just know that that was like easy. There was no hesitation. We could we could do this to.
Speaker 5: The point that Ben could improv at the end, you know, he could a something that happened because we were so comfortable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so great.
Speaker 4: And then we're in the tag in the apartment. Eric's eating in the kitchen when Jack casually mentions that the little stunt he pulled really backfired, but Eric doesn't agree. He's now the most popular guy on campus. Jack counter's not with Rachel while you were busy terrorizing her. Rachel and I got much closer, if you catch my drift. Eric can't believe what he's hearing. You ingrate, I put you on TV, and that's how you repay me by stealing my girl? How do you live with yourself? Jack confidently responds, I don't I live with you. I'm thinking Rachel and I might take our relationship to that next level. Thank you, Eric. On cue, Rachel walks in. She spots the boys and asks, could you guys disappear? I'd like to be left alone.
Speaker 3: With my date.
Speaker 4: They both look at her in horror. Rachel gushes, I found a guy who's absolutely crazy about me, and then Louie casually walks in and grabs Rachel's hand. Hay losers.
Speaker 3: Eric and Jack are utterly speechless.
Speaker 4: Rachel and Louie awkwardly stand by the staircase until Louie not so casually motions his head towards her room. Oh and that is our episode?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 6: Is that Sean only did two episodes?
Speaker 4: That's it?
Speaker 3: That was his tree too?
Speaker 6: And yeah I know him, I mean the obviously wrote this part for him, right or yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I get it's absurd. I wish I could go back and do parts of my performance again. That's that's what's bothering me, is my own performance.
Speaker 2: That's it, you know.
Speaker 6: And now that we've gone through it, I I tend to agree with you, man.
Speaker 5: I think that I think that it's not it's not modulated to where like because because listening to the recap, you actually do have this popular arc. It's as stupid as it is, you do have an arc, and like it's just I'm just like the tone of like what's real and what's not, what's playing in a choke and what's not usually for you is just like spot on and in this one, I feel like you're like, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's mudled. I had to it was I had to pick. I had to pick a lane, and I didn't. I kind of stayed in the middle. And because of that it got fun.
Speaker 4: Though, I mean, I know, I do think that if there had been anything, if it didn't start because he's sitting alone at a coffee table, if it started because Truman show, something like a Truman show is so is so popular.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what, I can do that right?
Speaker 4: And then we then he could go full bore, but because we don't actually know what is inspiring this, you had to like ease into it. There's like yeah, because otherwise it would have been very.
Speaker 2: Jarring to be like what I started with the party that he wasn't invited to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe there's a big party going on and people and he walks up to the door and the like did invite only and then Jack and Rachel walk in and everybody's kind of and it's like, why am I not allowed to do this? And then maybe he goes to the movies, Yeah, and he watches the Truman Show, you know, something like that, and then he comes out and it's everything's on.
Speaker 5: I'm just realizing now that like this is sort of in the in the tradition of Boy Meets World, like mocking television itself, you know, Like I didn't quite because I'm just thinking of the Truman Show references.
Speaker 6: But of course Eric is this like director making his TV show, and he's like, this is good television.
Speaker 5: And the irony there, of course, is like we're mocking the idea that you would have naked or girls and towels on cell of vision to get ratings when we're doing.
Speaker 6: That that's we're doing that exactly in the process of mocking it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, no, that was this is this to me?
Speaker 1: I wasn't a huge fan of my part in this episode, but it's totally my fault. This wasn't like what about the writing or what about this is me going, Oh, I wish I could have done this performance again, because I would. I would have done it differently the second Yeah, but a god, I love the best story. I felt like I was right back to point four finally.
Speaker 6: I hope there's more of that to come.
Speaker 4: Meet me too. Join us for our next episode recap, which will be season six, episode eleven, Santa's Little Helpers. It originally aired December eleventh, nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Is this the start? This might be the start of Tommy?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 6: Really that was a Christmas remember, I think it started.
Speaker 1: I think it starts with Eric as Santa, and I think I think this is the start of the Tommy arc.
Speaker 2: Ooh, this is a good one, I think. Yeah, I think I could be wrong, but I think that's.
Speaker 1: What it is.
Speaker 4: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com and we have got merch and in case.
Speaker 2: We don't see you, buy some merch today, tomorrow and tonight.
Speaker 4: Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Podmeets World is nheart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore.
Speaker 2: Engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com