Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This he's Talking Cowboys Straining live from.
Speaker 5: The Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters.
Speaker 1: At the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 6: Touch six segment plus Dot TIZI ty Pas Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Stanback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC studios. We've got Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, I'm Kyle Yeoman's Chris Beam in the back. Give us a call. Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven Give us a call. We are talking to Cowboys Nation today. We will do so starting in the next segment.
Speaker 1: How are we doing today? Gentlemen doing will? Sir? How are you doing good?
Speaker 4: Just got finished listening to Jerry Jones on one O five through the fan. A couple of talking points out of that couple of things to highlight.
Speaker 7: We'll start Clue me in.
Speaker 1: Do you want to start with.
Speaker 8: Running backs, you start clude out. I don't think you're ever clued out.
Speaker 7: I didn't listen this morning.
Speaker 1: Oh then you clued out.
Speaker 4: We get we got you covered. Got the one thing that or the number one thing that I thought stuck out to me was And it was a phenomenal question from Bobby.
Speaker 1: Bobby Belt asked it on one O five through the Fan.
Speaker 4: And he was asking, does the significant injuries to guys like DeMarcus Lawrence, Michael Parsons, de Ron Bland, does that change the way that you evaluate a head coach going into his final year of the contract, which is I mean, that's the fact of what my party is facing here is his final year of his contract. And Jerry's answer was intriguing in the fact that he basically said, if anything, it helps the evaluation.
Speaker 1: It doesn't give him a pass.
Speaker 4: He said, it's a part of the game as much as a kickoff is. He said, there's no pass whatsoever. If anything, you either are you aren't. We've got to move forward depending on whatever's best for this football.
Speaker 8: It was interesting answer, but then my interpretation of it made it make sense, because you want your coach is an approve it year and what you don't want is to lose any of your talent to injury.
Speaker 1: You just don't want that. Period. But the sun is going to rise.
Speaker 8: In the west instead of the east rising the sets.
Speaker 7: In the west.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 8: See clue out when you look at it from that capacity, it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: It's inevitable, like thanos.
Speaker 8: And you want to see how your coach handles that level of adversity, right, And this is when you talk about injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Cowboys have had injuries before.
Speaker 8: They had they lost Trevon Diggs, but then they had Stefan Gilmore who was fortuitously here, right, And that's just one example of you know, you lose this guy, but you got that guy. They haven't lost Michael Parsons for any period of time over the last three seasons, including this one, with the exception of that one game due to COVID. But now you're looking at Parsons and Tank possibly being out. You're looking at Deron Bland is not back yet, and Caitlin Carson we don't know if he's going to be on the field quite yet. So you have that kind of adversity so forth and so on. So I mean it's you're about to find out exactly what kind of coach you have in Mike McCarthy. Not not just the kind of coach you have when things are going well, right, but the kind of not just the kind of coach you have when one or two things are going wrong, but when a lot of things start going wrong on the health and injury front. How can he manage this roster? And you know, then the question becomes, as Jerry was, as are the Cowboys want to look outside the building to try to bring in some guys? Now he was at we talked about this yesterday, and this is exactly what he ended up saying. Inward and then they're gonna look inward, and then they're gonna look at possible like practice squads, and then maybe free agency, and then trade being the last possible thing.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't sound like trade is on the on the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I wish they would flip the two.
Speaker 1: I think that's what we were.
Speaker 7: Just talking about yesterday, Like you wish they would flip that.
Speaker 1: I wish they would flip it.
Speaker 9: And at least for me, it's saying, Okay, michaelccarthy, how do you respond He's going push your tee on im.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying, how do you respond to this?
Speaker 9: And if it's not well and you you miss the next two games without Micah and you miss, you lose the next two games without those two. I feel like the coaching his the seats will not just be hot, but infrared.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, infra red hot. Ye see through X ray all sorts exactly.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to fit another push reference.
Speaker 1: Now that's good, but.
Speaker 8: It's one one hand has to watch the other as well, because a coach is going to be tasked with making the current roster as great as it can be. But roster building and your willingness to go into free agency when it's time, you know, subjectively when it's time to go in the free agency, maybe your willingness to make a trade when you have two star edge rushers go down.
Speaker 1: Things like that.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's going to lend to what the ceiling is for the roster, for the coach that you're paying to make that roster as great as it can be. So both of those things have to work in simpatico. And that's kind of where I'm standing with it.
Speaker 7: Well, Mike Zimmers even said it yesterday.
Speaker 9: He was talking about how important depth is to a defense, and when you lose guys like this, obviously you know you're looking at it now it's like, oh, yeah, depth is important, especially when you lose your top two edge rushers. So now it really is about responding and how you're able to scheme the guys that you have on the team, the depth that you do have. But maybe to me that was a little there. Maybe there's a little more behind that statement where he's like, you know, depth is really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we kind of need it.
Speaker 4: Uh My interpretation of it was he's not giving a pass, which I don't think he should give him a pass.
Speaker 1: In my own this is the NFL.
Speaker 4: Injuries happen. You've got to win, whether with what you're given, regardless or not.
Speaker 7: Especially is gonna win a few games without that receiver.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think they would still.
Speaker 4: Well, they also have lost Isaiah Pacheco, They've lost for she Rice. They're gonna be playing Taylor Swift at wide receiver.
Speaker 8: And they might and they'll probably end up making a tree to They'll do supplement the loss.
Speaker 7: They will do something about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think the pass is off the table. At least that's the way I interpreted it from Jerry Jones. But I also looked at it as Okay, this is a tough schedule. We've talked about that multiple times on this show. Steelers, Lions, forty nine Ers, Falcons, Eagles, Texans are your next six games. It does not get much easier coming up over the next two months of football. So even without those guys, you have zero excuse going up against some of the better teams in the NFL. If you can right the ship, it gives an opportunity. It could go one way or the other. Of course, everybody's got their own expectations, but if it goes right for you, then all of a sudden, I think we value this coaching staff a little bit better than what we had previously.
Speaker 1: Three straight twelve win seasons.
Speaker 4: The way that Mike McCarthy has led in the regular season, it to a certain extents have been undervalued because of.
Speaker 1: The lack of postseason success.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, that's what he was hired to do, was have postseason success. So I get the criticism there. The way that they respond without these key players over the next couple games Steelers, Lions, forty nine Ers, Falcons, Eagles, Texans, depending on who's missing for those games, is going to tell you a lot about how good of a coaching staff and how well oiled this machine is.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 8: If you can win, if you're a Formula one driver, if you can win your race with your car working on a fire on all cylinders, everything goes perfectly, which it rarely does in Formula one. If everything goes perfectly and you, as a Formula one driver can whin your race, everybody's applauding because you podium, and as it should be, because that's extremely difficult to do, especially consistently, right shouts out the red bull. But if you can win, if you can podium at F one after tires keep blowing out every every ten.
Speaker 1: Or fifteen laps, or your car is not.
Speaker 8: Your car is not very good, and you're you're pushing that not very good car past cars that are mechanically superior to yours that particular race, then it's that much more value to your point. So if the Cowboys and Mike McCarthy can get through this stretch and after what we sawget now it's a week the weekly, but the lines.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, So.
Speaker 8: If you can get past this stretch the Steelers on the road, the lines are coming. You're not playing well at home. And you saw what the lines just did against the Seahawks eighteen for eighteen, passing for Jerrett Golf and a touchdown reception. That's why, kiddemy, if they can get through this stretch with two flat tires. They have two flat tires right now in the absence of DeMarcus Lawrence.
Speaker 1: And we'll see how how long.
Speaker 4: We're talking like front, left, front, right, back, right, not steers one steer okay, one steer one.
Speaker 8: Micah is a steer, okay, right, But good news is is he's still weak the week, so he may may only miss the Steelers cause you do that so fast, sterity, So yeah, Michael may only miss the Steelers game. Across all the fingers toes in your eyes. So you might be just without one tire, and then it's a matter of you go into the pit and you start bringing out replacement tires and hope they can get you through the rest of the race, because thankfully it's not the entirety.
Speaker 1: Of the races.
Speaker 8: You just got to get through these next six or seven laps. Yeah, you know what, I like it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't know, man, I think, especially after that Lion's performance yesterday, I'm just not looking forward to the schedule.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pick the Lions next week. I'm telling you that, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's too.
Speaker 4: I don't care if the Cowboys beat the Steelers by forty I'm still proud.
Speaker 9: It's still way that they're built. It's the way that the off that their offense runs in. And they are not happy with you either.
Speaker 7: They're not happy for one. So it's a grudge Max for not our fault.
Speaker 1: They didn't declare him eligible.
Speaker 4: I get it. I don't know, I get it, But Jim uh, it's it's tough, man.
Speaker 9: I just don't think that this team as is without Micah, without the Marcus Lawrence, I just don't see how it's.
Speaker 1: Just rough man.
Speaker 8: I think marsh I'm confident that Marshaw Kneeland will step up and and like I said yesterday, I'm not worried about Marshaun Kneeling because I don't think there's that much of a drop off from DeMarcus Lawrence to Marsha Kneelon in the capacity solely in the capacity of run stopping on the edge. I think Marshawn Kneeling has that in spades. But when you add the ability to draw double teams from you had the ability to disrupt in the as far as QB pressures are concerned. Even marsha Kneeling yesterday himself said when we were talking to him in the locker room, he said that he's trying to get better at pass rush. He was asked what aspect of his game is he is he does he feel he needs to improve upon going forward and he immediately he was like, pass rush, I feel like I need to be able to do more there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I could hear Isaiah right now. I know he's not on the show today, but I could hear him because he was so critical of Marshaw Kneel in a training camp of being a twiner. He thinks he's too big to be an ad rusher, he's too small to be a defensive tackle. And I could just hear him saying, man, there's not enough there from a pass rush standpoint for us to have any sort of confidence in the ad rushers. And to a certain extent, I agree. I think Marshaw Kneelan has the ability to edge rush. I saw the Western Michigan different competition level when you get to the NFL. But even in the preseason and even in these first four games or so, he's shown it at times consistently. No, not really, but he hasn't been asked to do it consistently. So this is his opportunity show it will now.
Speaker 8: But then I think the bigger onus is on a guy like Chauncey Ghostin, right, because Marshawn Kneelan, while he's being asked to step up that much more, he was already being asked to step up once Sam Williams went down, So he's going to see more. But it was interesting to me in speaking with Mike McCarthy yesterday that you would think the default answer would be Marshawn Kneelan and let's see more Carl Lawson. Okay, because Carl Lawson went from eight snaps his first elevation to twenty three I think twenty one to twenty three snaps against the New York Giants, and now you lose Michael Parsons in the Marcus lunch, She's like, oh, this is what you bought Carl Lawson in here for well. Mike McCarthy yesterday said that they're going to lean heavily on Kneeland and Chauncey Gholston.
Speaker 1: And I don't disagree. I wanted to put Chauncey back on it.
Speaker 8: And this is such an opportunity for Chauncey Ghosten, and in so many ways, this is a contract year for him.
Speaker 4: Part of why they kept him.
Speaker 8: Right, this is exactly this is about to be, if I'm not mistaken, the single biggest opportunity.
Speaker 1: For more reps for him.
Speaker 8: Right, He's never had this particular opportunity where they're just going to PLoP him down as a potential starter and say go eat right and then rotate loss and in with him.
Speaker 1: I thought it would be the verse.
Speaker 8: So for as much as we're talking about the rookie second round pick who's still getting his learning curve under him, with Chauncey Ghosten, this is year four and I'm sure he's loving.
Speaker 1: He hates that Micah.
Speaker 8: And tank her down, but you have to love that. This is this is your opportunity as an athlete. You say, hey, I hate that my brothers are injured, but I have to make the most of this.
Speaker 1: Got to make the most of it.
Speaker 9: But like, what was your confidence level and Chauncey Golston going into my problem with I'm not gonna say Pittsburgh, but like to not to overlook Pittsburgh either, But like, just going forward, let's just say that.
Speaker 8: My problem with Chauncey Gooston hasn't been with Chauncey Golston. It's been with the utilization of Chauncey Ghosten that's prohibited me from knowing what the hell I have fully with Chauncey Ghoston, if that makes sense. So, because he was brought in as an edge rusher right enter the league as an edge rusher, then he was right. Then he was slid inside right. So now he spent most of his his NFL's year or career should say, as a three tech and kind of you know, mulling the about there and then they pop him out every once in a while to the five and things like that. But for the most part, there's so much dedicated to him at the three. So now in training camp, they gave him some more reps at the edge for a situation such as this that might present itself. But you've not seen him full time at the edge as a Cowboy. Now you've not, but you're about to. So I don't have enough of his edge ability on film with the Cowboys to say that I am confident or not confident. But that's not a knock on him. I can say that.
Speaker 7: The sample sizes isn't there.
Speaker 8: I can say that he has traded in the right direction no matter which position they've put him at. But three tick and five those are two different animals all together.
Speaker 7: What about you, Kyle?
Speaker 4: He was drafted for this reason. I mean twenty twenty one draft, same drafts as Micah and Osa, and they were in that third round together with na Sean Right. There's a reason he's still on the roster. They've moved on from nay Sean Right, They've moved on from plenty of.
Speaker 1: Guys out of that draft class.
Speaker 4: They kept Chauncey Golson around even without the production, even without the snap counts and really the piece of the pie that you expected out of a third round pick. And he kind of hides in the weeds because there are three third round picks that year, and I think if it was just him that year in the third round, I think he would be criticized a little bit more. However, what you're saying is correct. He's in the building and they haven't moved on from him because he does the right things. He's everything they've asked him to do. He's moved inside, he's moved outside, he's done whatever he can. And for this fact, he hasn't needed been needed at the outside of the defensive line at the edge spot, because you have DeMarcus Lawrence, Michael Parsons has only missed one game in his career. You had had, you had Dorin, You had all these guys stacked at the edge.
Speaker 1: Rusher spot, so you didn't need him.
Speaker 4: You were trying to find a way to fit him into this whole puzzle. Now you've got a piece for him in the puzzle and it's where he should fit. And so I think there's there's hope there from my standpoint, that he will produce. He'll have some edge rush's, he'll be able to set the edge, he'll have some pass rush ability. Do I think he's gonna be DeMarcus Lawrence.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Do I think he holds as much weight and pressure on his shoulders as a Marshaw Neelan, No? But will he contribute absolutely, and I think they'll see him rotate in and out a little bit more so than you anticipate going into the week.
Speaker 8: I think you're also going to have to get really quickly, Josh, You're going to have to get a maverick involved here in the guy like Tyrus Wheat.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: So Tyros Wheat he's on the roster because he's done so well with special team, Right, but he's an edge rusher as well. So what kind of contribution cand of guy like Tyros Wheed give you?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I was more so going to ask about pass rush versus run block or run defense, like does he have like a change?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was better at run defense in college.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember back. I can find my scouting report.
Speaker 4: Uh, he was better as a run stopper on the edge, but his pass rush ability is minimal. It's very similar to what marshawn Nealan has.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: I think he's a better run stopper than he is a pass rusher. I'm going to find my my scouting report on and obviously the past rush has the last time we've seen him as a full time edge rusher.
Speaker 9: That's fair, And the last time we've well, at least the last game or the last few games, the pass rush hasn't been there period.
Speaker 1: Even that that's the concern, even.
Speaker 9: With Mike, even with Marcus Lawrence. But the way that you're kind of building up Chauncey is like, at least maybe the run defense still holds up like it did in New.
Speaker 8: York, right, And here's where and this is why I thought that they would lean more on the combo of Kneeland and Lawson is because while you'll lose some of that run defense with lost in as far as setting the edge, you're theoretically gaining the pass rush over what a guy like Chauncey would give you. Because Carlawston, although he only had two pressures against the Giants, Cowboys didn't pressure you know, the Giants, well, they didn't pressure the Ravens well as we're talking about. But those two pressures occurred in twenty one snaps, right, Chauncey Ghoston had twenty three snaps I believe, and he had one pressure. So granted that particular game is a small sample size, but when you look at the totality of their career, Carl Lawson has been a get after the guy quarterback, I mean get up to the quarterback kind of guy. Whereas Chauncey Ghoston, what has he been We don't know because again he's not been number one, he hasn't had the opp tunity because the path hasn't been clear for injury like that, but also insane that it's also true that they didn't have him on the edge anyway. Right, So you just you don't know from a pass rush perspective there. But as it stands, you have a solid edge setter for the run in Chauncey, and you have an above average, far above average edge setter against the run in Marshawn Kneeland. But from a pass rush perspective, from either one of those guys, if you roll them together in a ball, you don't have Micah. If you roll them together in a ball, from a disruption path standpoint, you don't have Tank. You need you need a Maverick, You need another guy. It might be Tyres Wheat. Maybe you go like Jerry said, maybe you go poach somebody off of somebody's practice squad, whatever the case may be. But as it stands, going against the next six or seven laps of this race, that they have to go against I just feel like you gotta you gotta add another tire.
Speaker 4: I think you gotta add another It's hired to pull it out of the pit, get to the paddock.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Lightly recruited out of high school, outworked other higher recruits. Shocking in any regard based off of what you've seen over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: And this is this is from him in college, became a captain and had production with at least eight and a half tackles for lost in each of the last three years. Could could improve upon his play strength and his ability to anchor. However, when setting the edge, he's strong enough and has some length in order to push the boundaries of setting the edge. So yeah, better run stopper than he was a pass pass rusher. And that's the scouting report from college last time, that he's been a full time edge rusher.
Speaker 9: And with Mazzi coming up coming into coming to fruition at least in the run defense. I mean, maybe that's recipe for Yeah, we're not trying to accept expectations here necessarily.
Speaker 7: Sure, it's something to look.
Speaker 8: Out for, but it goes to what Kyle was asking yesterday and that you know, what kind of pressure does this put on the linebackers, because now you have to figure out how to get how to generate additional pressure in the past rush yeah, or maybe you don't run three linebackers, maybe you want run three safeties and Donovan becomes more of your downhill you know, blitz package guy. When he's in, it's definitely a blitz type of thing. But see then that becomes predictable. Right, so the challenge is prevalent, Yes it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is all right.
Speaker 4: When we come back here on Talking Cowboys, we're taking your phone calls eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven a Talking Tuesday when we come.
Speaker 1: Back right after this.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle cop Today, Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 10: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At.
Speaker 4: And T five G.
Speaker 10: Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 5: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 11: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 4: To the Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oates, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. Welcome back in, everybody. We've got a Talking Tuesday. Give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven Mike in New York is our first caller online. Mike, what's going on, my man?
Speaker 3: What's going on? Guys. I was happy you guys got your gift on it. I know you guys definitely definitely enjoyed. It was awesome to see obviously watching you guys open and stuff them. Obviously, I hope you guys obviously enjoyed it. That's I know, it's nothing like get something, Oh man. I know it's a little different, but so I know you guys obviously enjoyed that. But more to the cowboys, I think cowboys wish to wish to be a little more disciplined on with the flags. I feel like it's killing us. Man, it's been going on for I don't understand with all these penalties.
Speaker 4: That's a great point, Mike. Yeah, we love the the hand carved block. I mean, that was really cool. We put it back in Beamer's office. Josh has it displayed up in the desk so that way, it's close to our show every day.
Speaker 1: So we really imaginated displayed.
Speaker 4: But uh, let's talk about the penalties. I think that is a great point, Mike. Thanks for the call. As always, the penalties are concerning and and Jerry was asked about that this morning as well, and he kind of said, he was like, we got to find a way to negate.
Speaker 1: Those holding calls.
Speaker 4: He's like, But other than that, I think Tyler Giton's been a he called him an excellent rookie. I think there's still more to be desired with Tyler Goyiton, which is in turn leading to the holding penalties.
Speaker 9: No, of course, and it doesn't help when Tyler Gritton's calling out the refs for not being good. Yeah, yeah, that's not great because now the microscope is on him. John Gotti, John Gotti, Yes, yes, yes, yes. I just think that at least with Tyler Goyiton, we kind of knew this coming in. We knew the sample size early on. You give them some time, man, the ceiling is there. And then if you look at the Jets, you look at Tyron Smith on the Jets like it's I don't know, man, and I hate to say it. I don't want to be disparager or anything like that, but he doesn't look like the same Tyron Smith. No, So if you'd rather have that at the cap that you're going to get hit with for Tyron Smith as opposed to a Tyler Goyiton that would have to sit this year year behind Tyrons.
Speaker 7: I don't know, man, I'm all.
Speaker 9: For taking that rookie, letting him develop on the field, getting those reps in good or bad.
Speaker 7: I think mostly good.
Speaker 4: Tyron allowed a sack and two pressures in their game against the he did Broncos, and what an ugly game that was.
Speaker 8: They got to get the penalties, and this is a state and the obvious of course they got to get the penalties in hand. I mean, you had thirteen penalties for over one hundred yards against the Ravens. You're not just guying you had as a team. You had eleven penalties for just under ninety yards against the Giants. And keep in mind, these don't include the penalties that were declined. These are only the accepted penalties.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: And the other mic, the mic from Dallas spoke yesterday about what they need to learn from September going into October, and he drew a circle around penalties and this is his quote. He said, and quote, we've way too many third down penalties, way too many red zone penalties, A couple of two minute penalties that affects scoring. It affects the opportunity for the offense to have the ball more, and that affects the defense being on the field longer.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 8: So that is definitely a point of inphasis emphasis for the Cowboys and Mike McCarthy going into October. They just have to figure out a way to clean it up. And let's be fair, not all of those penalties are righteous, but the ones that are righteous shouldn't be happening, uh, to the frequency that they are happening. So when you talk about a guy like Tyler Gout, and I don't want to single out Tyler Guyton because other guys are committing penalties as well. They're you know, when you get false starts on the drive and it's just like how you know the snap count? Okay, when you're lining up off sides, you're like, you know, all you got to do is look, yeah, right to the to the to the side, yeah, and you see where the ball is.
Speaker 1: Back up, those types of.
Speaker 8: Small discipline things, And I think that harkens back to like what a guy like Jordan Lewis said last week before the Giants game when he was like details, details, details, details, refine your details. But if the Cowboys don't finally, finally, and I'm with Mike from New York on this one, they don't finally get a handle on these penalties because it's something that's been haunting them for seasons now. It's going to eventually be the thing, excuse me, one of the things that continues to bite them in the back.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: And I feel like every year when we get to the playoffs, since something does go wrong, which at least has been inevitable recently, it's usually a red flag from the season and the two losses to San Francisco.
Speaker 7: Underneath Mike McCarthy, it was.
Speaker 4: Penalties, it was turnovers, it was run defense, it was all these different things.
Speaker 1: Last year against.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shoot, the last year it was penalties and run defense against Green Bay. I mean, it's all these things that have kind of lingered.
Speaker 9: Penalties have been very consistent in the Mike McCarthy era.
Speaker 1: Look at it from this point.
Speaker 8: I pulled up my game chart from the Ravens Okay Cowboys opening drive. Right, so Cowboys took the ball first. On the Cowboys opening drive first, you get a penalty holding to Cavante Turpin ten yards. Okay, you're working against yourself now you get down the field a little bit. Penalty second and nine, holding defense that was on the Ravens, the QB conversion by Dak Prescott on second and seven that was turned into a first down false start on Brevin span four. That was the drive where you had a false start on or penalty on both of your tight ends, Brevon span four and Jake Ferguson. So I sell that to say it's not only Tyler Guiden. It's happening across the board, even with names that you wouldn't normally hear, like a Jake Ferguson. Right, So Jake didn't, if I'm not mistaken, he didn't have any penalties against the Giants, and they were ones that argue it should have been a holding.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that. It was a bang bang play. Let's play football right on that touchdown.
Speaker 8: But bottom line is you can't have these types of penalties killing drives. Because that drive I'm talking about the opening Cowboys drive. You know how it resulted against the Ravens in a punt YEP, that's what happens that drive.
Speaker 1: That's what happens.
Speaker 4: Lee in Dallas is on the line, Lee, what's on your mind? Thanks for calling.
Speaker 12: Hey, good morning, guys, Thanks for having me. There's been a lot of talking this offensive line and how the struggles are and Tyler Goidens having a hard time, you know, transitioning to left tackle, and Terrence Steel's having a hard time at right tackle coming back from injuries or whatever in the season, and it just feels to me, when is there a time where we start talking about and thinking, well, Tyler Goyiton was a right tackle, his transition to left tackle has been a struggle. When do we start thinking about putting him back at right tackle if Terren Steel isn't playing any better. They talk about getting the best five on the field, that's their priority. I think one of their best five linemens on the bench in TJ.
Speaker 3: Bass.
Speaker 12: You've got a guy that has spent a season at left tackle proven that he's you know, a great player at it almost pro bowl level in Tyler Smith. And I've thought this from before the season. My starting offensive line would be Tyler Smith at left tackle, PJ Batts at left guard, Cooper BB at center, Zach Martin at right guard, and Tyler at right tackle.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Okay, Lee, I appreciate the call as always and I think he's got a point. I don't know if it's a point for twenty twenty four. And I've actually thought about this too, because Tyler Goiden was much better as a right tackle in college and what he was able to do. It's a transition period, and Josh you pointed that out just a couple moments ago. There's going to be a learning curve. We're four games into this guy's career. I don't want to completely upend his future of what could be your left tackle of the future just because of a couple holding calls.
Speaker 1: And a couple of bad games.
Speaker 4: So not yet. I don't know if it's out of the question though, because this is another draft class that as heavy at left tackle. You could draft again. I don't know how many times in a row they're gonna have to draft a tackle in the first round of the d NFL Draft. You can't do that every year. But I don't think it's out of the conversation to move guys around. I just think it's out of the conversation for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what part of that is out of the conversation entirely. For Mike McCarthy, Tyler Smith is not moving to left tackle. Tyler Smith is not moving to left.
Speaker 4: See and I agree with that with a part of this would be adding another piece, adding a left tackle to your roster. If you've got an all pro at any of the offensive line possessions that keep him there.
Speaker 1: Correct, do not move.
Speaker 7: He's an All Pro.
Speaker 1: That's the only that's the only flaw, maybe.
Speaker 4: But I don't want to risk it. I don't want to mess with it.
Speaker 9: Is one of the only consistent things on your offensive line. The only consistent guys on your offensive line would be Tyler Smith, Cooper BB at the moment, and Zach Martin, which is you know, arguable at this point, at this point in time, Tyler Smith has been the most solid player on.
Speaker 1: The office be offensive lineman right now, close.
Speaker 7: And he's at left guard.
Speaker 1: Keep him there, keep him there.
Speaker 8: So that for me, that's the only flaw. I see the logic and the reason in Lee's argument.
Speaker 1: I see it.
Speaker 7: That's fine.
Speaker 8: But that's that's the flaw, you know, or that's the fly in your honey there is that they're not moving Tyler Smith to left tackle. So as far as maybe twenty five and beyond, let's see, because again, this is four games in and it's so early in this young man's career to write him off as not having the ability to develop and be your future at left tackle, just as it's it's difficult to to say, Okay, four games in, let's rite off Terrence Steele.
Speaker 1: Let's let this thing play out. Let's let it play out.
Speaker 8: I'm open to the conversation, not with a Tyler Smith to left tackle, because no, but let's let this play out, and let's let's have this conversation again in March.
Speaker 4: And I don't think Lee is discounting Tyler Guyton.
Speaker 1: As a player he kept. No. No, He's saying that he just wants him to fit and he's here believe.
Speaker 8: That he developed better as a starting right tackle than left tackle, which could very well could be. But what I'm saying the counterpoint is, and not that I'm disagreeing, the counterpoint is that it's only four games in.
Speaker 1: So that's why I said, let's let this play.
Speaker 8: Out, and then I'm wildly open to having the conversation revisiting this in the off season and after we have an entire season.
Speaker 1: I think you need to get us.
Speaker 7: Where that that was exactly.
Speaker 9: It then to your point about just like if if you do it now, I think that's just a disservice to the entire offensive, the whole offensive line, the offensive line as a whole, the chemistry that they've had, the reps of that shake up.
Speaker 4: A lot of people would say, Oh, this isn't Madden, right, Like, this isn't Madden. I don't think this is a Madden idea. I think it's just trying.
Speaker 1: To fit the pieces in the discussion. No, I like it.
Speaker 4: Good, good discussion, Lee, good question. We're going to take a break. Doing in Northport, Florida is on the other side of that break. We'll talk to him. Keep giving us the phone calls eight A eight eight five five two two nine seven here on this talking Tuesday with more.
Speaker 10: Right after this, Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 5: Five G requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for U fifty dials.
Speaker 2: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a low near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated Colster Can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetie dot Com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys and.
Speaker 1: We're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 14: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash Ericap by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica respondses me very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitor for qualy assurance, message, data rate and additional terms may apply. Bank of America a umber fdic.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment has brought to you by in vis A Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Patrick NOCI walker Josh Rodriguez, Chrispyaman the back of Kyle Yellmans. Let's talk to Dylan in north Port, Florida. Dylan, what's going on in for Dilly?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 15: Going on?
Speaker 1: Guys? How we doing doing well?
Speaker 15: Sir?
Speaker 1: How were you all right? All right?
Speaker 15: So I saw something cool or I guess not cool, actually kind of disturbing this morning.
Speaker 4: I was looking at what a swing?
Speaker 15: This could go a lot of ways? Right, I'm.
Speaker 1: I'm scared.
Speaker 15: So against the Giants. Dak Prestoll was looking at his catching chart and only five out of the twenty seven pass and tens went for more than ten yards or travel more than ten yards. Only two travel more than fifteen and going into the game, Uh, you know Dallas face light boxes at the third high street. In the NFL, Giants eyes are presented light boxes at the highest straight. I haven't watched all all twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I plan to do that today.
Speaker 15: But my logical, guests, based on the historical data and just the live watch, is that the Giants are sitting back to I Safety is flogging a bunch of lanes and people are complaining about you know, Brandon Cooch running pitches and all these short routes and stuff, and uh, it's all I think stems from the lack of a ground game because teams are just sitting back and not allowing us to push the ball down the field.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 15: So until Dallas can establish a consistent running attack against light boxes and forced teams to put more guys in the box, I think you're going to continue to see Dallas run these short routes.
Speaker 4: Completely agree, Completely agree, I think. And I've watched the all twenty two from Thursday already and a lot of too high a lot of too high shell, which of course mel Kiper hates now apparently.
Speaker 1: I think that's so silly, that's dumb.
Speaker 4: The big run the football if you if you want to ban the too high shell, be the Baltimore Ravens, be the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 1: Force him in to say within issue, got into buck.
Speaker 4: Run the ball, And I agree. I think part of Dalvin or not Dalvin Cooks Brandon Cook's struggles has been because one the separation isn't there from other wide receivers. So a lot of people are saying, okay, if jayaln Tolvert, Cavante Turpin and all these other guys aren't getting any separation. Then we've got to cover CD, we've got to cover Cooks, we've got to cover Ferguson, and we should be good because they're not going to run the ball. There's no threat outside of those three guys on this offense. And right now you can even x out number three, you can x out Brandon Cooks and at that equation, because you can't run the ball, you're gonna see light boxes, you're gonna see hefty coverage, and it's going to be more for this team to decipher through.
Speaker 7: And that's tough.
Speaker 9: That's tough for a guy like Dak Prescott who was having to throw these tight window throws just to get completion, just to find somebody, just to find somebody, he's got to throw a perfect pass each and every time. Yeah, he's not gonna have a Jared Goff like game where he goes eighteen for eighteen, you know what I mean. It's crazy to me that, uh, the running game is with the running backs that you have. Like granted this, we talked about it before the season started. Yeah, Zeke is not the same Zeke. No, that's no question. It's not rookie Zeke. But that is a serviceable running back. The fact that we cannot get the ground game running with Zeke anybody, anybody, with anybody, it's it's concerning, it's so.
Speaker 1: What So then where's Delvin?
Speaker 8: That was going to be my next question and that Jerry Jones conversation to the forefront of your mind where you asked sad him instead of Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 1: So the question is where's Delvin?
Speaker 8: Where is so number one sensational take by Dylan Apps a freaking loly Oh they got those ball? Yeah, you got You gotta run the ball if you want to defeat the two high safeties, because you need one of those guys to drop down and make a heavier box. And if you can't run the ball, then you got to deal with that. And it's a lot of underneath because even the two touchdowns from Ceedee Lamb, there was a shot at one earlier in the season it with miscommunication, but that aside, he took that underneath a frozen rope through a keyhole from Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb made both of those touchdowns. Happened after because that was middle deep turned into a deep deep touchdown. But where's Delvin Jerry Jones this morning on one oh five three, the fan said, quote unquote, probably not this week, not this Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 1: Last week.
Speaker 8: It wasn't because it was not going to happen because per Jerry Jones, short week the week before. It's because small sample size with Zeke and Rico w induce and they're still trying to figure some things out. Well, now you're going into a long week. You got four games in and Mike McCarthy himself said yesterday, you know who you are after four weeks. Okay, Well, if you know who you are after four weeks, then you know that you might need some kind of juice injected into the rushing attack.
Speaker 4: You're bad at running the football.
Speaker 8: Yeah, John said, it's not it's for those that are asking, Jerry said, it's not a physical thing with Delvin Cook, they said he looks good. And I can attest to this in the aspect of those that I've spoken with coaches and other players, they are saying the same thing. They're saying Delvin looks good. They're saying his feet are quick, they're saying he looks great out there in practice. So then that just again begs the question, where is Dalvin Cook and when, if ever, this season, when do you elevate him?
Speaker 4: Jerry's answer today, and like you said, he gave some reasoning behind it. He was talking about looking at the season as a whole, and we haven't run the football a whole lot the last couple of weeks, which is.
Speaker 1: To a certain extent true.
Speaker 4: I mean, Rico Dowdell was utilized more than anybody this past Thursday, and Zeke only saw ten offensive snaps. Ten Rico looks fine. Honestly, I think Rico is your RB one right now. That's a separate conversation right now, that's a separate conversation. But Dalvin Cook specifically, they said, we want to utilize him when we're going to utilize him best, because he's coming off with the practice squad. You can elevate these guys only so many times. Do you feel like that plays any factor into it? Because I feel like if you wanted to just elevate the guy and he plays well, good sign him. If he doesn't play well, then maybe you push it.
Speaker 1: Back to squad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get you kind of push it down the line. I don't know if delaying his first call up is enough to say what's not utilize him.
Speaker 8: I think the bigger issue is you remember we had this conversation Isaiah included you bring up Dalvin Cook and who is made inactive?
Speaker 4: I mean, he only had ten offensive snaps, I would say, and Zeke you would say, I would absolutely.
Speaker 8: Based on how they're using Zeke, you would think so yeah, But do you realistically think they're going to make Zeken active?
Speaker 1: Probably not. And that's for me.
Speaker 8: That's where delvin's' that's the thing because if you bring up Dalvin Cook, but you don't want to make Zeke inactive. And this Rico is not in this conversation because Rico is continuing to improve as as he as RB one right now. So this is for me, is Dalvin Cook versus Rico versus deuce yea question because Hunter Lickey he's not in the carversation either. He's finally getting more utilization. So the question becomes, if you bring up Dalvin Cook, are you making duce and active for that game, which is probably supposed to be your change of pace back or is it Zeke which creates a redundancy because Zeke and Dalvin Cook are more or less the same guy.
Speaker 9: I mean, to your point, I'd love to see Hunter lip Key with actual RB one carries like I would love to see him take those snaps.
Speaker 1: Also another conversation, he's been great.
Speaker 9: It's totally separate, but it's like, what does he look like running the football, Because as far as like utility backs, I think he has everything that you're really looking for right now. He can push a pile and he's also catching out of the backfield, and he's pass blocking.
Speaker 4: It's not out of the question to say Hunter Lipke is your third most effective player on offense right now, behind CD and Jake Ferguson. Name a guy other than lip Key who's had maybe not the stats I think, but I'm talking about effective thinking.
Speaker 1: I think it's Rico. And the reason I said I think it is Rico is because.
Speaker 4: That maybe he's a bait.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's more production, but also it's it's commensurate with more opportunities. So if you I think if lip Key gets those opportunities, is correlated that way, and you say it's per opportunity, now you're talking efficiency per opportunity. That was most efficient, third more third most efficient player on offense I'm not productive because he hasn't had that touches the third most efficient player on offense.
Speaker 4: I think it's hunder lip so. I yeah, when it comes to Dalvin Cook, I think there needs to be a conversation.
Speaker 1: I think there needs to.
Speaker 4: Be an added emphasis to try and shake up the running back room. Whatever you're doing right now isn't working. It's not working running the football. Try something different, try it out. See what happens.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and if it doesn't work, he drops back to the practice squad and no harm, no foul, no harm, no foul.
Speaker 1: You figure it out for the following week. We'll see. We'll see.
Speaker 4: It's not gonna happen this week. Apparently it doesn't look to be the case. All right, that's gonna do it for us here on talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Hope you had some fun with us.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, we will have the whole crew back in the building. We're gonna have Isaiah stand back back and we will get you started on the preview of this matchup with the Steelers.
Speaker 1: What a historic.
Speaker 4: Rivalry this, Oh my god, eleven Lombardi trophies, Oh yeah, you got a lot going on.
Speaker 1: And battles in the seventies man. Yeah, seventies nineties.
Speaker 4: Relevant, I remember those the last every like yesterday. Yeah, every matchup since the turn of the century has been a one score game.
Speaker 1: Every single matchup.
Speaker 4: They don't play it a whole lot, but every single game has been a one score affair CARDI I think you could see the exact same thing happening on Sunday. But tomorrow we're going to preview the Dallas defensive matchup going up against Justin Fields or Russell Wilson at quarterback with George Pickens, Pat Friar mused, and a couple of these other guys on the offense couple flat tires to see how they ad just In doing so for Chris Beam, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick No c walker around, Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys, will you tomorrow. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.