Speaker 1: Hey there, everybody. It is Monday, October twenty seventh. We have made it to our Top five and our horror movie hit lists, the top five movies that we love that we think maybe a lot of people have not heard of. And number five on our list is not for you if you are claustrophobic with that. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Roobes. This was one where I knew you were.
Speaker 2: Realin when we discussed our shared love of this film.
Speaker 3: Yes, we knew we had a kindred spirit. At least.
Speaker 2: It was actually towards the beginning of our friendship that we both realized that we loved The Descent.
Speaker 1: This is a fantastic movie. I think a lot of people do. This isn't too much of an underground It's a cult.
Speaker 3: I see what we did there.
Speaker 1: Now what it's a It's not really this is a This is a mainstream hit, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think it is now.
Speaker 2: I think now that we have streaming services and you can watch movies that maybe fell under the radar before. This wasn't a movie that I knew of anyone going to the theaters to go see. But I actually believe this was the summer of two thousand and six. I'm trying to think if I how I saw this either on a DVD or what.
Speaker 1: Were you doing in two thousand and six? Two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Six, I was given I was giving birth to Annalise, is what I was doing.
Speaker 1: I was moving to Atlanta.
Speaker 3: So that's so funny.
Speaker 1: Wow, so wow. Anyway, summer of two thousand and six, folks, is when The Descent, our number five movie came out. The Descent, Yes, it's an hour and thirty nine minutes long, rated R. It has classified these ways horror, mystery, and thriller, adventure adventure, that is for sure.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So here is the synopsis for The Dissent. A year after a severe emotional trauma, Sarah goes to North Carolina to spend some time exploring caves with her friends. After descending underground, the women find strange cave paintings and evidence of an earlier expedition. They then learn they are not alone underground predators inhabit the crevasses, and they have a taste for human flesh.
Speaker 3: It actually did really well in the box office.
Speaker 1: Did I didn't remember it having a box office run.
Speaker 2: But I think I literally was on maternity leave when this was out, so I'm thinking that somehow maybe I got to see it as soon as it hit a streaming service. Back then I had some time on my hands, so I remember watching it by myself, perhaps a middle of the night feeding. But it made twenty six million domestically, thirty one internationally, so fifty seven million total.
Speaker 3: That's great with the budget less than ten million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a good looking movie. You just said you watched it alone. That is not something we're going to be recommending. This cast includes Sean on the McDonald, Natalie Mendoza, Alex Reed, Saskia Mulder, Nora Jane Noon. I didn't recognize a lot of the faces in the movie.
Speaker 3: It was a British indie flick, was it not.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was set in North Carolina, but I do believe there was I believe there were British makers.
Speaker 3: That was what I recall.
Speaker 1: Yet, and the lead was I think she's Scottish, and so yeah, it certainly I forgot who was in North Carolina because everybody has an accent, and it seemed yeah, so you're right. The director here is Neil Marshall. Now we always love to say don't take our word for it. Written Tomato scores for the critics and robes. The audience seemed to.
Speaker 2: Like it, Yes, eighty seven percent for the critics and the audience seventy six percent.
Speaker 3: Maybe just because it's.
Speaker 2: A little gory, a little gross, a little scary. Little look, I'm claustrophobic. I have to say, heights don't bother me, but you like to me, like worst case scenario would be trapped in a submarine or something I would lose lose my mind.
Speaker 3: Like the idea of.
Speaker 2: Having to go into a submarine scares the but Jesus out of me. And so the reason why I was able to watch this movie alone though, by the way, is because I have.
Speaker 3: Zero plans on caving anytime soon.
Speaker 2: So I felt like, you know what, I can watch this and be totally creeped out and still feel safe in my living room nursing a little baby.
Speaker 3: Just it was just it was a sweet moment.
Speaker 1: Two things, you know, One you knew you were never going to go into a cave and get trapped, correct. And two if there are these creatures down there, you're never gonna go find out any correct. All good, very good way of putting it. The critic Gonzendus put it this way, deft direction and strong performances from its all female cast. Guide The Descent a riveting, claustrophobic horror film, that the cast is their their dynamic is pretty.
Speaker 2: Cool, so good and in fact, look and we I think you and I when we first realized we shared a love of this movie, when we both said, and the Descent Too is just as good. Now the critics don't give it the same reviews. I believe, but I thought it was such a good It picked up where this one leaves off. So if you love this movie, please please check out the Part Too basically.
Speaker 1: So we can give Yeah, we'll give you a two fer on this one the Descent. And The Descent Too is wortheeing as well. Now some critic reviews. I included a lot now blazed through them because I think you'll relate to a lot of them in their shorts. Some of the critic reviews, it's brutal, bloody, and brilliantly entertaining. Yes, correct, all right, you will feel like you have descended to the pits of hell.
Speaker 2: It is true, you feel like you are right there with them. I mean you do, like you my blood would like, like, actually chill when I saw what they saw, like your heart actually stops with them. You feel like you are in these caves with these women.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't think about it this way. So much of it they had to be up close, even the fights in the this and that nothing is happening from a distance in this movie. Another one, often terrifying, often brilliant. Another one saying parents would be best to protect their children from the concept went psychological trauma of letting them see this.
Speaker 2: Honestly, yes, to think that there are creatures like that living beneath you is really freaky, like super duper freaky.
Speaker 1: Here is one for you that was negative. A mindless, mindless tense fright fest.
Speaker 3: A mindless tense fright fest. Yes, mindless. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think there was a lot of mind games going on there. What I liked about this movie is, yes, you're dealing with this creature, but you don't even see a creature.
Speaker 3: By the way, for the first half of the movie. Didn't we clock that and.
Speaker 1: At least an hour.
Speaker 2: Because it's terrifying, first of all, just being beneath the surface like that they're going into uncharted territory. They didn't realize they were getting into this. At least some of the women in the characters did not know they were putting themselves in this pioneering position. But you're scared for them just being trapped, let alone having a subspecies of humans down there attacking them.
Speaker 3: That doesn't even come to later. But there are also ten within the group.
Speaker 2: Because there was a tragedy to begin with, there was some husband Sharon, I think that was going on. So I actually to say it's mindless makes no sense to me. There were a lot of other plots going on that made it really interesting.
Speaker 1: They're fighting each other, they're fighting to stay alive, and they're fighting to get the hell out of there, right, so mindless I find sometimes we've talked about this on some of the episodes. If not we you and I have talked about this. I sometimes see the higher the rating like the dumber the negative ratings.
Speaker 3: They're trying to find a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be contrary, they don't necessarily take on that I didn't like this acting or this writing. It was just I don't understand why anybody even liked this. It's just mindless.
Speaker 2: Huh, what's that's a mindless comment? I like this critic review. No one really enjoys nausea. But for those of you who bragg that a horror movie is so scary that it made me sick, here is The Descent, Hey, grown ups, only gorefest that is bound to have you cringing and jumping out of your seat at least once.
Speaker 1: Well said, I like that gorefest is correct. This is one of you know what, there's some that seem gratuitous. Are going a little long this for the sake of the I guess there is a nature to these creatures that has to coincide with how they go about feeding and fighting and killing.
Speaker 3: There's a savageness to it.
Speaker 1: And they capture that in the dark. Now. The Descent is so expertly made that it more than holds its own as a full throttle horror flick. Yes, it's the director's decision to provide it with a psychological bent that puts it firmly over the top.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: He toys with our mind this whole movie.
Speaker 2: You're rooting for these women to get out of there and to get away from these things, like so you're so invested in them escaping.
Speaker 3: You are so into it and on the edge of your seat the entire time.
Speaker 1: From the sample audience, Now, I didn't even I've never used this word before. Uh. Claustrophobically terrifying. One of the best horror movies ever made. Another thing that the scent is a thrilling surprise from start to finish. Here is my favorite, though Robes, I am now officially scared of the dark. It starts off with a bang with the two deaths, and immediately I knew I regretted watching this. They gave it five stars.
Speaker 2: In parentheses, gave it five stars, but you're, like anyone who loves horror movies totally gets that.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is.
Speaker 2: Truly one of the creepiest movies you will ever see. Fantastic all female cast, a terrific storyline, and so many atmospheric and terrifying scenes.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 2: This is the only movie that made me so uncomfortable with the claustrophobic scenes near the beginning that I seriously wanted to leave the theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a good review.
Speaker 1: I think that is the If we're recommending this one, we say why this one made our list? And I think this is one of the reasons for me Robes is that if monsters never showed up, this was a horror movie on its own. There are scenes and where they're stuck and a couple of women start panicking because they think they won't be able to get out that you are breathing. You find yourself breathing hard watching this. It was a horror movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, before the creatures.
Speaker 1: Yes, and even the dread of their they say that at one point, I think they said they were a mile or something underground, so there's no light, and so there's dread from the jump. As soon as their batteries go out on their lights, it's gonna be pitch black.
Speaker 3: Even the idea of that can you racing against time.
Speaker 1: Against batteries, even that attitude this being a horror movie for.
Speaker 3: It it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is so scary from start to finish. It is a wild ride. So when we come back, we're gonna tell you, Yes, we'll get into the specifics of why it made our list, who it's for, who it's not for, what to pair it with, and where to watch it. Plus of course you will tease ahead to our number four on the list. We are in our top five people, and we continue our conversation on the dissent.
Speaker 3: It is number.
Speaker 2: Five on our Halloween Horror hit list, and it has been one of our favorite horror movies for almost twenty years now, and we hope it will soon be one of your favorites as well.
Speaker 3: It is terrifying.
Speaker 2: It has all the elements of being stuck somewhere claustrophobic, you're underground, you're fighting within your own factions, and now you've got these flesh eating, subhuman, subterranean creatures after you. It's so scary and it's so good, and the critics and the audience finally actually agree with us. It doesn't always happen, but this is one of those where there seems to be an absolute consensus. Why it made our list, Well, we bonded over it, so it had to be on the list. It's one of our favorite first horror movie conversations we ever had. And it's it's so intense. I think that was like it's heart pounding. It never lets up, and you are on a ride and you're like you're on this fast moving train and you can't get off it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again when there's a horror movie does a formula to where if you don't see the monster the bad guy, you're not supposed to be scared. This is a movie where you are terrified before a monster ever shows up. And they were able to create this tension and this I don't know, just the lighting and the setting and everything about it. They created an environment. This is an experience of a movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I totally agree with that.
Speaker 2: And the acting is incredible from people who you don't even know, so just really phenomenal act do really good. I was gonna say storytelling, but I was horror telling. But it's kind of both horror storytelling.
Speaker 3: Who's this for? If you love a monster?
Speaker 2: And there are certain we've talked about in this list, lots of different subgenres of horror movies, But I love a creature film, and this is an unexpected one, not one you've seen before, yes, and not one really i've seen since. I think they're so good at just giving you glimpses of these things and you're waiting for it and you don't and there oh, but the way they did it, it's so realistic looking.
Speaker 3: It's not over the top.
Speaker 2: It actually is exactly what you think subterranean cave dwelling, flesh eating things would like half human, what they would look like.
Speaker 1: Ooh ooh, this is one we have to say here. You have to have to have to watch this in the dark. It needs to be pitch black in the room because so much of this. Yes, they're in caves. There's it's very low lighting, and a lot of these fights, a lot of stuff happens pretty quickly in very low lighting.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And also if you love like survival adventure type of horror movies, this is that's got that element to it as well. A race against time, a race against creatures, and a race against just even your own conditions, like trying to get out of something. It's it's so good, now, who is it not for this is? It gets pretty gory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not over the top. It's what it should be. Yeah, I don't think it's gratuitous for what this is. But yeah, there are some I guess there's the A lot of the sound is disturbing as well, and a lot of these fights, and there's some All the weapons are sharp, all the deaths of brutal, the injuries are even.
Speaker 3: There are some injuries.
Speaker 2: There's at least one arm remembering that's really tough, really tough. And I do think what one of the critics said about not letting your kids watch this, This to me is stuff of nightmare. Like the creatures like no, but when you see their faces it can haunt you. Like this could keep you up at night, and certainly if you're young and just seeing their faces. I again was not scared because I just was able to rationalize it and say, I'm not.
Speaker 3: In a cave. These aren't things that are walking around New York City, So.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of okay, Well, the l train you seeing that.
Speaker 3: It is Halloween, like, we could see some of that. But yes, if you don't like Gore, if you don't.
Speaker 2: Like anything that's I mean, honestly, if you don't want to be too scared, this isn't. It's intense and it's scary. So you have to want both of those things, the intensity and the fear.
Speaker 1: There are no breaks in this movie. Once they go in that cave, you just sit up. It's going to be a ride until the absolute vary end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so in terms of what to pair it with, so you think you should have to watch this, it is better to watch with someone. Oh absolutely, I watched this. I remember when I was on maternity leave, I watched this and I watched The Extorcism of Emily Rose, and both of those for very different reasons.
Speaker 3: Literally, I regretted it.
Speaker 2: I was I was in the woods by myself with that my baby, and I think my mom. It was like all girls, like it was literally an all female cast in the house. It was really dumb. But so, yeah, you should probably watch this with somebody. I would say that would be fun. And yes, in the pitch black in the dark at night, and look, I don't know, I think it's so intense. I wouldn't eat a lot like popcorn, keep it simple popcorn. I was like, this is like the acid inducing type of movie, So you want to keep those things just to a minimum.
Speaker 3: So salty snacks, that's what I would say.
Speaker 1: I cannot tell folks what not to eat. Yes, why in God's name were we having medium late.
Speaker 2: Terrible? We even said we have to admit what we were watching when we read what we were eating while we were rewatching it. And yes, medium rare filet mignon is not something to pair.
Speaker 3: With this movie. It was a big mistake. I totally forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I don't really think you should probably eat medium rare steak with just about every single horror movie period. You should just go ahead and do that ahead of time and then keep to the light snack.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, Where to watch this?
Speaker 2: This is on Amazon Prime if you've got a subscription, but we found it pretty easy to find. And then the descent too is also there as well, I believe, so you can just do one and then number two right afterwards. All right, next up our number four this week? How would you describe this one? How would you tease this? This is another one of our all time favorites that we both bonded over as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a sleeper and a shocker that it's in our top five for a number of reasons, including it's PG thirteen.
Speaker 2: We were shocked you said this to me yesterday. Can you believe this? Robes two of our top five are PG thirteen something that you avoid at all costs, and we had no idea.
Speaker 1: But it does include perhaps our favorite horror movie actor of all time, mister Justin Long. So looking forward to telling you about number four tomorrow, but for now, hopefully always appreciate you hanging with us. I hope you've got some good out of these horror movies, but we got some doozies for you this week, but always appreciate you listening. For now, I'm TJ. Holmes alongside Hemmy Roepok. We'll talk to y'll soon