Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central. It's America's only source for news. This it's the Daily Show with your home's Promia. Welcome to the show, Why Ray Shang, We got so much to talk about tonight. TikTok is making offers who can't refuse America Maze Canada and offer is definitely refusing. And Trump and China are fighting so hard they should just make out already. So let's get right into the latest developments in trade wars. My favorite word, my favorite word caraffs. It's been two weeks since Liberation Day and we're in a full blown trade war with China, with Terra's now at one hundred and fourty five percent, which means the trade war is officially moved from shoer to grower. And some people are concerned about this trade war because they like want the economy to be like good or something. But you know what, Trump is not stressing about it.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, the White House Press Secretary reading a statement, she said President Trump dictated.
Speaker 2: China needs to make a deal with us. We don't have to make a deal with them.
Speaker 3: There's no difference between China and any other country, except they are much larger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's kind of a big difference.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: It's like saying, why should I be scared to fight the rock. He's just like any other person, except much larger. Yeah, that's the scary pot. But I guess Trump's people must be confident that they can push China around, because they're not just throwing around tariffs. They're throwing some shade.
Speaker 1: President JD. Vance is caught in a firestorm of his own making. Calling the Chinese peasants.
Speaker 2: Make it a little bit more crystal clear.
Speaker 4: We borrow money from Chinese peasants to buy the things this Chinese peasants manufacturer.
Speaker 2: That is not a recipe for economic prosperity. Oh shit, he's really calling Chinese people peasants. Nobody likes to be called a peasant, even legit peasants. I like, actually, I consider myself more of an agricultural entrepreneur. But yeah, Jdvans called the Chinese peasants a couple of weeks ago, and now that the news finally got to the villages by Donkey Kot, they are pissed.
Speaker 1: Tonight. We were seeing China and trading insults with the Vice President JD. Vance and the latest knock against President Trump's trade war. I mean, bab.
Speaker 2: That went so hot? Oh no, weave the drake in this beef? Are we the certified peasants? At the same time, though, saying your five thousand year old civilization doesn't intimidate Americans because half the people here don't even think the earth is that old. Also, let's just be real, Okay, there's no way Americans are the peasants here. Do peasants have medical debt? Then think so? Checkmate China. But it's not just Chinese officials. Well mad, China has extremely online losers, just like all peasants, and they're mad too.
Speaker 5: On China's tightly controlled Internet, government censors are allowing Vance's interview to go viral, amplifying the outrage, igniting anger and sarcasm. Look, this is their true face, arrogant and rude as always.
Speaker 2: We may be.
Speaker 5: Peasants, but we have the world's best high speed rail, the most powerful logistics, and leading AI and drone technologies.
Speaker 2: Aren't such peasants quite impressive?
Speaker 5: One hashtag about the Chinese peasants remark shot to the top of China's Twitter like platform.
Speaker 2: Waboat? Wait is that is that Michael Costa? How did the third whitest host of the Daily Show go viral in China before the Asian wie? That's dough, that's that's that's that's the same triangle and everything. Wait is China watching this? Oh? Okay, well, hey, thanks for watching this? Hi? Uh? Don't then? What was sung seing wall? Since I saw the wh what since it's our paramon? The tinman took a slipping. I was just talking tough to China. But woods are not China's only weapon in this trade war. They're also using, you know, trade.
Speaker 6: China's retaliation now includes suspending exports of rare earth minerals and magnets to the United States. Those materials are essential to a number of American industries, including carmakers, aerospace manufacturers, and semiconductor producers.
Speaker 4: China produces ninety percent of the world's rare earth minerals.
Speaker 2: Okay, so rare earth metals are critical. Well, maybe we should have thought that before we launched a trade war against the country that had them all. I mean, where we're going to get oh, gattolinium now, huh, we're gonna buy Congolese gattolinium. That shit's mid Well what else are they hitting us with?
Speaker 6: China has reportedly told Chinese airlines to stop buying parts from American companies, and It's says it will no longer accept deliveries of Boeing jets.
Speaker 2: Come on, you're not going to accept our Boeing jets? Well, good luck finding another plane with self crashing technology? Is there anything else.
Speaker 7: China could strike that in other ways, like urging Chinese students to study elsewhere, telling travel agents to steer tour groups away from US cities.
Speaker 2: Oh no, If Chinese students stop coming to the US, who are Americans going to lose their spots to Indians? Yeah? Yeah, that will work. Yeah, actually actually yes, But look, Americans have to stay strong. Okay, I don't want to hear any whining. Oh no, China's not buying all made in America products. Well, suck it up, patriots. Certain industries are just going to have to suffer. And that's how it is, because this is war.
Speaker 8: China announce their restricting imports of Hollywood movies to their country.
Speaker 2: Okay, that this war has gone too far. Some of our finest, most likable Chinese Malaysian actors have built a career in Asian theme movies that depend on the Chinese market. All right, it's called it's called crazy rich Asians, not crazy, just getting buy Asians. And don't forget this affects you to China. If you ban American movies, how will you ever find out the ending to all these remakes of movies from decades ago. But as drastic as some of these trade policies are, they are nothing compared to the awesome power of Chinese propaganda. And luckily for China, we all have a Chinese propaganda app on our phones.
Speaker 3: They're the videos seen by millions of Americans TikTokers claiming to work at Chinese factories that make high end products and offering to sell them directly to Americans for much, much cheaper.
Speaker 6: Products like Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuittan.
Speaker 2: Do you like this bag?
Speaker 1: Are this tda put on a.
Speaker 2: Queues on the Oh yes up? Yeah, good news, honey, I am getting you that Gucci bag for your birthday. But uh, forget about the designer products, because these tiktoks aren't just offering cheap Chanel bags. They're offering cheap everything.
Speaker 7: Do you want buy laundry pots?
Speaker 2: Do you want a laundry capsule? Do you want a laundry bits? One part cost only five cents?
Speaker 5: Just the ship custom percentage kettles to us probably do dollars.
Speaker 9: Do you need a house?
Speaker 1: We can build it for you in just forty eight hours. Place another and we will deliver it to a country.
Speaker 2: Good news, honey, I am getting you that prefabricated house for Memorial Day. For more on the trade warll we go live to the White House with Troy Water. Okay, uh, Troy.
Speaker 9: That's a lot of designer clothing and I got it all for eight dollars.
Speaker 2: Thank you, trade war? Okay, Troy, Please don't thank the trade war right. If tensions keep building, it could be economically devastating.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know.
Speaker 9: But the longer this trade war goes, the more incredible deals I'm finding on TikTok. So personally, I think tensions could get like five to ten percent higher. Even a dumb peasant country like China could understand that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Troy, No, Troy, that's exactly how I talk. Could escalate the trade war, Okay, and I'm fine with that.
Speaker 9: Look, look, this is like four hundred tie pods and it was fifteen cents.
Speaker 2: I had to break a dollar.
Speaker 9: I have a lot of luxury clothes to wash, and these are extra nights, so I'm gonna wash them on extra hot with my towels.
Speaker 2: No, no, this could cause a global recession.
Speaker 9: Then we'll buy our way out of it. For the first time in our lives. We can get our mez scarves in bulk, like all those dumb people in China, Troy, those aren't real o mesca if you believe Ronnie.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if everyone can afford to get them, are they even really luxury goods anymore?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Socrates, okay, just wait until Christmas. You'll change your tune once we're stuffing our stockings with Gucci.
Speaker 2: Aren't you jewish? Not at these prices, this is still a huge risk, all right. Is it really worth a market crash just to get a washing machine for twenty bucks?
Speaker 9: A whole washing machine for twenty dollars? Okay, let me speak to.
Speaker 10: China Jongo to Siangba need the chang chun oiba Uncle Sam's penis ya kwa damn.
Speaker 2: I fucking nailed that, Troy. I speak Chinese. I have no idea. What the you just said?
Speaker 9: All right, do you need to be to explain Uncle Sam to you or a Penis say, you know what.
Speaker 2: Get out of here, Troy. Troy wata everybody when we come back, not to cos stuff. This is our new estate, so don't go away. Welcome back to the Daily Show. Donald Trump might be in the middle of a trade war, but we shouldn't forget his other wars. Michael Cossa checked in on them just to find out what's going on.
Speaker 4: For decades, Canadians have been wasting away in a country known best of the world as America's hat.
Speaker 1: But that's all about to change.
Speaker 3: Canada was meant to be the fifty first date, just an artificial line that was drawn in the sand beside.
Speaker 4: In the ice, but not Everyone's so sure a boot that meet Stephen Shane Bart, American political refugee.
Speaker 11: Night that Trump was elected in twenty seve sixteen, I started looking into becoming a Canadian citizen and I moved here in twenty twenty full time. Gave up my apartment in Brooklyn, moved to Toronto.
Speaker 4: A lot of people said they were going to move to Canada when Trump won, and.
Speaker 11: It's bullshit, you actually did it, So I wrote I actually did it Becoming Canadian because of Trump.
Speaker 4: Is that the book where you admit that you killed OJ's wife?
Speaker 1: No, No, it's not.
Speaker 12: I didn't know Hm exactly what Oj said in Just like a White Bronco chase cut short. Steven's worried his escape from America might have been a feudal gesture.
Speaker 4: Just look at history.
Speaker 11: Austria was the first country that Hitler took over when he was expanding, and it was very similar to Germany the way Canada is similar to the US. And they just kind of absorbed it and that was the beginning of Hitler's expansion.
Speaker 4: If you think Trump's Hitler, then why would you move to America's neighbor. It's like, well, I'm going to ride this whole Hitler thing out over there in Poland.
Speaker 11: I'm not saying at all that Trump is Hitler.
Speaker 5: He's not.
Speaker 11: But if Trump is ten percent as bad as Hitler, that's bad enough.
Speaker 4: Well, Stephen Trump didn't want to invade Canada until you moved up here. So are you flatter in a way?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, you fled America, but America's coming and you can't stop a bulldozer. We're gonna take Canada. That'll be a fifty first state. Then we'll go to Greenland. I think we should get Hawaii. That's nice over there.
Speaker 2: That'd be sweet to have Hawaii. U huh, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Keep running away from it?
Speaker 11: There's no where to come.
Speaker 4: Well, of course Steven hates this idea, but I bet every day Canucks couldn't wait to trade in their free healthcare to join Team USA. How excited are you to be the fifty first state of the United States?
Speaker 2: Not that fired up about it?
Speaker 1: And you need a stronger language than that.
Speaker 2: We have guns.
Speaker 4: Can you look in that camera and tell Donald Trump how you feel about becoming the fifty first state of the United States.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're you're throwing a lot of words around, but I think that's yeah, we know what you're doing. It's not going to anywhere. That's the meanings you can get. Yeah, maybe they just didn't know what they were missing. This is a bottle of our syrup. That's not maple syrup.
Speaker 4: I don't know. There used to be a black woman on them, but that kind of became a whole thing.
Speaker 2: We love our country, we really do.
Speaker 4: Don't you want to dominate the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Olympics.
Speaker 1: I'm on the Summer Olympics, the one that people care about.
Speaker 2: This is what the new flag would be. I don't know, man, I'm thought the Maple.
Speaker 1: Leap was going to be with the stars.
Speaker 2: But I should have had this thing made in China.
Speaker 4: Canadians of all ages, races, and species seemed united in their rage. It's a good thing Christine isn't here and this trade war is getting messier than a plate of poutine at a Saline Dion concert. Thousands of Canadian hockey fans booing our national anthem.
Speaker 8: Flicker stores have removed American distilled alcohol from their shelves.
Speaker 7: Pools show ninety percent of Canadians do not want to be part of the United States.
Speaker 4: But what about the other ten percent? The silent majority, the most elite and until lectual Canadians take a different view.
Speaker 7: I'm just trying to make Canada great, So let's make it the fifty first steam.
Speaker 1: Finally, a normal person, you got to make a stand.
Speaker 7: If you believe in what you believe, and I believe and I want to become an American, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 4: I mean just think about the possibilities. You could be sentenced to the death penalty. You can drive over a bridge not knowing if it's going to collapse. Cheese coming out of a spray can.
Speaker 7: I've never tried spray can cheese, right, but I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 12: And after living under Canada's jack boot, Josh is.
Speaker 7: Eager to speak his mind first moment right for the space freedom of speech.
Speaker 4: And the thing about the First Amendment is that that thing is ironclad. Yeah, I mean unless you're a protester or a legal firm, or a member of the media, or a Democrat or a Green card holder.
Speaker 2: But other than that, huh, it's good.
Speaker 4: And in case you couldn't tell by the way he looks, there's another amendment that Josh is way more excited at boot.
Speaker 1: So Canada doesn't have a second Amendment.
Speaker 7: We do have certain guns, but not the ones that we do in America. The AR fifteen. We can't have any guns that have over I think it's five rounds.
Speaker 1: Five rounds.
Speaker 4: That means that you can't even have a mass shooting.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, you can't even mash shoot out a deer, right.
Speaker 4: That's why American hunters are so good because they can pop off two hundred rounds in five seconds.
Speaker 1: You're gonna hit something this well.
Speaker 4: Beccan Shaman was almost passing for an American. But there was just something that was off about them.
Speaker 2: Get it, get it, let's go.
Speaker 4: Like the Canadian dollar, it's closed, but just not quite there. What is this monopoly money? In fact, there was something off about this whole country.
Speaker 11: The differences are subtle but really significant. Like when I go get pizza, they asked me, you know what kind of sauce I want on the pizza? If I want like sweet and sour sauce or Chipotle sauce.
Speaker 1: Wait, what the did you just say?
Speaker 11: They give it here and they say what kind of sauce do you want on it? And I said, what do you mean? I'm from New York.
Speaker 12: We don't do that, these bastards sweet and sour sauce on pizza.
Speaker 1: Not even Little Caesars would do.
Speaker 4: A thing like that. Anyone know what they put on pizza in Greenland?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Michael, Let me come back. Senator Tammy dunk Wolf will be joining me on the shows Don't Go Away, Welcome back to a dairy show. My guests tonight is an Iraq war hero and Purple Hot recipient who currently represents Illinois the US Senate. Please welcome Senator Tammy duck Wolf.
Speaker 1: Listen, come ont.
Speaker 2: Say they're having fun. Yeah, well, man, if you share for Illinois New York, that's tough. Yeah, Senator, you're a war hero, you served in Iraq, you sacrificed so much for your country. But you're also a Democrat. Why do you hate America?
Speaker 8: I actually love America so much. You know, maybe we have too much liberty and freedom.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Seeks to me what this administration thinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like you were a war veteran and then you decided to go to Congress. Yeah, I mean what was hot that? The War of Congress.
Speaker 8: I mean they gave me body armor and bullets when I went to war. So I think Congress is harder.
Speaker 2: But you're in it.
Speaker 1: I'm in it.
Speaker 2: You're in it right now.
Speaker 1: I'm in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I used to fly nicians in Iraq. I did helicopter.
Speaker 1: I was a black Hawk helicopter pilot.
Speaker 8: Loved it, that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he decided to run for Congress and you won.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 8: I was I was pissed off. That we were not taking care of our veterans, so I decided to run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and so how are we treating our veterans?
Speaker 8: Well, we were doing really well until Trump decided to fire six thousand of them from their federal jobs in the.
Speaker 2: Last three months. Yeah, and why do you do that?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I guess this is a guy who hugs the flags as he loves America, but then fires six thousand veterans.
Speaker 1: I don't think he cares about us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what like, what was the what was the would he give any reasonable fire?
Speaker 1: There was no reason.
Speaker 8: It's part of their cuts across federal government. Veterans after they serve in the military tend to want to serve the country, continue to and civil service. So thirty of the federal workforce are veterans. And so this president has fired more veterans than any other veterans than any other president in modern history.
Speaker 1: Okay, six thousand encounting.
Speaker 2: How is that? How is that? Okay, we get it all right. They don't like it. Well, and that's specifically was it doge or was it something else?
Speaker 1: It was dog?
Speaker 8: Just across the board cuts. When you fired this many federal employees you're going to lose that many veterans. But dog has also come out and they've announced they want to cut eighty thousand personnel just from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Speaker 1: That's their next target.
Speaker 2: But okay, and that I don't know. Are these people they can lose or is it? Is it gonna run? Is it running fine? Now? What's the situation in the Veterans of Fairs?
Speaker 1: It was getting better.
Speaker 8: We passed the Packed Act, which was bipartisan, which basically signed up a million more veterans who were exposed to cancer causing toxic smoke from burn pits. They're finally getting the care that they need. And now we have those folks on board, and now they're going to fire all the people who take care.
Speaker 1: Of those folks.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so I'm pissed. Okay, can anyone stop this?
Speaker 8: So well, we can try to stop them. We are fighting them every step of the way. In my case, I've been able to get some veterans their jobs back. They fired veterans from the Veterans Crisis Hotline. These are people who answered the phone when a veteran is contemplating suicide. They pick up the phone and ni get an answer within eight seconds, so at least they used to. And so some of the folks who work in that hot line were fired and they reached out to me and we were able to get them their jobs back.
Speaker 1: So we are fighting.
Speaker 2: Back, so.
Speaker 1: Like one at a time, one at a time.
Speaker 2: So there's jobs, there's jobs all lost, but then there's overall just like veteran healthcare right, they've.
Speaker 8: Had to cancel operations. The spouses, the family members of disabled veterans are not getting support through their hotline appointments and are being canceled or now they're having to wait even longer. We would just turn in the corner. We were actually reducing the number of homeless veterans. We were just adding more veterans getting more beat But remember this is a president who says people who are wounded to die for this country in uniform are all losers and suckers. He doesn't care about us.
Speaker 2: Okay, So just to put it out there, this is also a guy who arguably a lot of veterans would also vote for at the time. So how do you reconcile that? I mean, well, I think.
Speaker 8: What they bought was this rhetoric from him that he was going to you know, he wants going to make America great, strong and powerful, and yet all he's done has made us weaker, sicker, and less secure.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, so I mean, I guess the relevant question is do you think it's changing the opinion of the people who voted for him?
Speaker 1: Oh? Definitely.
Speaker 8: Have you seen what's been happening at these Republican town halls where people across the country is showing up in tom haws and saying, what are you doing to have veterans? I'm a veteran, Why did you cut my benefits? I had a veteran reach out to me from Tennessee because he was declared dead and didn't get his didn't get his regular checks.
Speaker 2: What he did, he.
Speaker 1: Didn't reach out to me through reach are born. He actually reached out to me.
Speaker 2: But okay, But again the question is, okay, so we all have obviously, you know what kind of preaching to the acquire here. Obviously the people who didn't like who didn't want to vote for his president, still we maintained that we shouldn't have vote for this guy. The question is what about the veterans specifically, because you're more in touch with that community. When do you feel that there is a change in sentiment that was previously overwhelmingly in his favor. Do you think it's changing a bit or is it still very much? No, he's doing the right thing. We don't see a problem. The issues are exaggerated.
Speaker 8: I mean, is that I think it's changing. I think there's two things that are happening. One, the fact that he is basically kissing Vladimir Putin's uh you can see it, you know, means that these are people who spent their entire military careers getting ready to oppose Russia and now they see the commander in chief basically doing whatever Putin wants him to do. So that is changing the sentiment. The other thing that's happening is all of this rhetoric against women serving, against LGBTQ veterans serving. You people forget that there's been a generational change within the military.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: Gen xers are now the old people. Millennials are now the upper management and they've only ever.
Speaker 2: Served well, happy to be here, and they're not the field people. I'm gen X Yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 8: So so millennial millennials are now the majors, colonels. They're not they're now colonels, right, they're.
Speaker 1: Not sergeants majors, you know, they're now higher ranking.
Speaker 2: And so you say this, but then it's like, but they think they he kind of said what he was going to do before he ran. He was p hegsef before he got a pointed against. You know, women in military they still want. So my question is is anything that's happened changing the sentiment.
Speaker 1: It is because I think a lot of.
Speaker 8: Them didn't believe that that was what was going to happen, and they saw the reality of the fact that the military cannot do its job without women in service. The military cannot truly do its job without diversity in the in the force where people can speak different languages around the world, you want soldis who and speak to Wahili. Without forces in Africa, you want, you know, soldiers that can speak all the different languages. And so the millennials have only ever been in the military where there was equal service with women.
Speaker 2: And you're seen white people can't speak so human.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, but you want native speakers, right, you want you want more diversity. You want that that you know, diversity inclusion is a good thing.
Speaker 1: You want people who have those backgrounds.
Speaker 8: You want somebody like me who speaks Taian and Indonesian to be able to go in and and and speak those local languages. And we also have people in charge of the military now, the millennial generation who have only ever served equally without don't ask, don't tell, so they know the line behind.
Speaker 1: LGBTQ people are not good for the military.
Speaker 8: Well, no, they know that we've always served equally and we can't go to war without each other.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean that's that deserves an applause. That's a nice sentiment. I hope you're right, because we cover the news every day here and I just feel like nothing changes moves the needle either way. I do a lot of jiu jitsu. All the jiu jitsu guys are like like a lot of veteran veteran people, So I'm not connected at community at all. Let me just say the ones I have met are very mega, so I don't know how a lot of them.
Speaker 8: Are remarked, but they're seeing the reality behind the betrayal, and they're seeing what's happening to veterans with the cuts at the VA. They're also seeing what is happening with Trump bound down to put. Just watch those town halls. A lot of them revolve around people standing up and saying, what are you doing for our national security?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 2: And on the on the subject of DEI. So another thing you've recently had to you on the front lines of hiring because they had to. You were in the Senate when people had to get confirmed and show you pot of the committees had to have hearings on who to confirm. And so I guess you're kind of on the front lines of this, Like, I don't know what you want to call this a backlash against DEI towards meritocracy, and you were you had to basically appoint approve the secretary of Defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I voted against him.
Speaker 8: These the least qualified secretary defense in our nation's history, the least qualified.
Speaker 2: Just give him a chance, give him a chance. This is the least What do you don't like about this guy?
Speaker 8: Well, let's see, the largest budget he ever was in charge of was something like thirteen million dollars and he screwed that up so badly they had to bring in forensic accountants to figure out what he did wrong. And now he's in charge of an eight hundred and twenty five billion dollar budget. You're talking about a guy who used signal chat to plan, you know, a strike right, a military strike right, exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So who.
Speaker 8: Basically put in an unsecured channel thirty minutes after the drones hit F eighteens will be on target, basically telling the bad guys this is where those F eighteens are going to be and exactly what time he put those pilot's lives in danger. He does not deserve to be the Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 2: But you've never planned an outing with group chat before tried some build.
Speaker 8: I never planned an outing for the military involving weapons of war.
Speaker 2: So how would you say to the people who are like who think that the DEI thing in the military is inappropriate cand of use DEI categor reason in the military.
Speaker 1: For how what I say is that's not true? It never was.
Speaker 8: This is a fake argument on their side because it was never done. Remember that this president fired a Secretary of Defense who was a pilot, highly decorated, forty years of experience, commanded major units, and replaced him with a guy who is a platoon leader, who had never run a budget larger than ten million dollars, and who couldn't even mention parts of the world. You know where the US has huge troop presents who didn't understand where the nations of Asian were for crying out loud, and this is the guy that's going to be in charge of our nuclear submarines, that transition that those sea lanes.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 2: So he got confirmed though.
Speaker 1: He got confirmed party line.
Speaker 2: Vote, party line vote, and I guess a couple.
Speaker 8: Of people, a couple of people crossed the party line, but not enough.
Speaker 2: Okay. So that brings me the next question. I mean, you're actually on the front lines of Congress. You have to talk to Republican congressman all the time, like, what is it in Congress? Are people are your colleagues Republican colleagues. Are they seeing the same reality behind closed doors and telling you like, hey, listen, I know this is crazy, but whatever or are they are? Are they drinking? Are they true believers? Drinking a kool aid? What's happening in that?
Speaker 8: I think the Republicans who are willing to stand up to him were the ones from the first time. They're not back right, and so the ones that are there are becoming invertebrates. They've lost their backbones and they're hiding in their shells.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is where they are, like.
Speaker 1: They just roll over for this president.
Speaker 2: They you know, they say I always are they true believers? Are they?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: I mean no, they're they're they're worried about their own re election. And at a certain point you need to say, you know what, come at me, go ahead in primary me. My country is more important than this job.
Speaker 2: Right And unfortunately most of my recubitent colleges don't think that are.
Speaker 1: Not acting in that role.
Speaker 2: Sure, so, I mean, you know, again, you have been You've always kind of I think you've kind of like with integy integrity. You've stood by a world yours too. Yeah, how do you The Democrats like have lost a lot in the last They don't control any branch of government, they don't control popular vote, they don't have any cultural momentum. So clearly they were doing something wrong. Like what is what should they be doing? Like what what message isn't getting through here?
Speaker 8: You know, I think the message that's not getting through here? What Trump did was he spoke to a group of Americans who were disaffected, who really felt that this country was leaving them behind, and he made these promises, and a lot of people were watching the reality TV show, and I get from a lot of people it's like, oh, I voted from but I didn't think he was going to come after me. I didn't think he was going to deport my wife. I didn't think that he was going to cut funding to my kids public school.
Speaker 2: I think because he said specifically he was going to deport that guy's wife.
Speaker 8: Well, no, no, because he said he was going to do all of these things, right. He said he was going to cut the Department of Education. You know, people were saying, well, but we didn't think that he was going to go after my special needs kids funding, right. They just thought that it was all in act, sure, and it's not.
Speaker 1: And it's not.
Speaker 8: And now people are being fired, they're losing their jobs. They're seeing the reality of where we are there with the economy tanking, with us less safe than we were before, and they're realizing, oh, I made a mistake. This is why you're seeing people talk about I voted for him, but I wish I had. I made a mistake. And what democrats need to do is talk to all of those people and say, you know, Illinois, where I'm from, is one hundred and two counties. Only six are blue, ninety six are red. And I go into the red parts of my county and of my state, and I say, listen, it's about loving this country. It's about putting America first. It's not about a guy who hugs the flag and then shits on America by starting trade wars and cutting funding for veterans.
Speaker 1: That's not what this is about.
Speaker 8: This is about making sure that we support our farmers who grow.
Speaker 1: The food that we need.
Speaker 8: A country that can't feed itself, it's not a country that can defend itself. This is about making sure that our veterans have the services that they earned. This is about making sure our military has capable, competent leadership who knows better than to plan war plans on group chat, on security group chat. This is about putting America before yourself, and this president has never done that. And Democrats need to start talking to the heartland and talking to people and saying we are here to fight for you, and we're going to fight for you every step of the way. And that's why you're seeing folks like me getting out there, especially from the Midwest, talking about industrial America, about what we need to do to regrow our economy, and what we need to do to stand up to this president to make sure that we make those investments in this country and not in the oligarchy billionaires that he surrounded himself with, because that's all they care about themselves.
Speaker 2: Sure do you think that Do you think that message is coming.
Speaker 1: Across I think it is.
Speaker 8: You know, when I talk to the act sector, for example, they've seen body blows. At the body blows, they firmer stand it to vote for Trump. But when I go to talk to him, they're like, well, these terriffs are killing I'm not going to be able to hand my family form off from my generation to the next generation. I'm the seventh generation. There will not be an eighth generation. The terriffs are going to hurt me. John Deere is losing jobs because the steel coming from Canada is now going to be more expensive, and so they're seeing the difference. And we need to just continue to pull on those people together and let people do understand that the way that we make America great greater than she already is to come together and work together, not by dividing us, which is what this present is trying to do.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right, Senator. Thank you, thank you so much for coming to speak to me. Thank you for serving our country, thanks for something with integrity, and thanks for representing Asian people and Southeast Asian people in America. I really appreciate it. Till me talk abouf everybody. Well, God take a quick break. We'll be right back after this thing.
Speaker 8: The thanks.
Speaker 2: That's what's over tonight now here. It is your moment of that we have.
Speaker 1: All heard in the five second rule.
Speaker 2: Right, let's put it to the test. Shall we now.
Speaker 1: To know what that is?
Speaker 8: Shoes walk around New York City?
Speaker 12: Show?
Speaker 1: Okay? Should we go ahead and call out and sick for him?
Speaker 4: Next?
Speaker 10: All?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 4: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 6: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts