Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid Verbo. I'm that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Ado steak?
Speaker 2: Is that whoo whoom? And Dan and Ty welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Ty hilden Brandt. I am joined as always. I'm a good friend over there in beautiful in sort of yucky New York City. It's cold, it's rainy, Dan Rubinstein, how are you? I have made such a mistake flying back here. But otherwise, Ty, I'm doing pretty well.
Speaker 1: I have my tea. Yeah, I've been extraordinarily lazy, uh these past few days. A lot of sweatpants time and a lot of football time. And back in the office for the first time. I think I left. Did I leave like the twenty first something? It's been. It's been a bit and I'm very happy about it.
Speaker 2: Well, cool, it's good to have you back. Yeah was what seven days now it's been since we've recorded a show feels.
Speaker 1: Far too long. It feels like a long time. We're in communication. Yet I still miss you.
Speaker 2: I know. It's weird, but suffice to say, We're going to shake off the cob webs tonight and talk about a bunch of ball action, of course, highlighted by the victories of Alabama and Clempson on New Year's Eve spoiler earlier, well on ty that's why people are tuning in, that's true to get the results. We had some other great bowl action. We had the Orange Bowl, which was awesome between Michigan and Florida State, the Rose Bowl. We're recording this on a Tuesday, so last night the Rose Bowl was just incredible. We're going to get into all of that and much much more, plus some news on coaching moves. We've got some news on NFL declarations, Dan, is there anything I'm leaving out?
Speaker 1: Coach just got fired a few minutes before we started recording, so that's always not that fun, but it's news. We've got a new booger picker in college football.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: To find out who that is. And that's pretty I feel like, and I know we're going to get into the playoff games. First. I just want to say it felt really nice at the moment. Since we haven't seen the National Championship game yet, it feels like the season has been sort of bookended at the moment by two just incredible shootouts. And that's all things considered. And there are all sorts of things to complain about, with conference strength in the bottom of certain conferences being weak, and quarterback play perhaps being not on the level as we've seen in recent years. The fact that we had that Notre Dame Texas game to sort of begin the first weekend and the Rose Bowl. You may not like the fact that those were like fifty to forty nine, fifty two to forty nine shootouts, And you might be and I sincerely hope you're not the type of person that says, uh, it's called defense. Maybe try it sometimes? Is that the John U. Bacon voice? You know what this is? Like, frank you Bacon? That's who I picture, Frank you Bacon. It's called defense. So I feel good about that fact that we had this really nice, entertaining TV show of college football book end thus far.
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with the playoff games, since those were, of course the two headliners again played on New Year's Eve. This year's ego, Oh killing me awesome. I love that sound so much, Dan, I love that sound. I know it's going to be irrelevant. I think from this point forward, the playoff ratings were up ever so slightly from a year ago. Well they sort of had to be, they had to be, but still way down from the first year of this thing back in twenty fourteen. I would imagine, is it safe to say that this was the final shovel of dirt on this idea of creating a quote unquote new tradition.
Speaker 1: I would hope so, ty, I would hope so. I don't have the dates in front of me moving forward, but I would sincerely, sincerely hope so. And I know the PAC twelve and Rose Ball and Big ten made a deal to keep the Rose Bowl away from the Playoff as much as possible, to maintain the stupidity of tradition in their very certain sense. But I hope that the Playoff continues to evolve and every single way possible to make it a better experience for everybody.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happens moving forward. I did go on the College Football Playoff website. They've shifted the dates around on outside so that the next I believe year in which we will have these games put on New Year's Eve would be like twenty twenty one. Or twenty twenty two, So it's a pretty good ways off my hunches. By the time it gets to that point in time, this won't be a thing anymore. We might have more teams in the playoff by then for all we know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next year is New Year's Day, Jan one, Rose and Sugar. The following year Cotton and Orange on December twenty ninth, Peach and Fiesta, December twenty eighth, Rose and Sugar, Jan one.
Speaker 2: They're trying to do it on a Saturday, is what they're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Right, And then the twenty twenty one twenty twenty two season is December thirty first, Orange Bowl on one and TBD on the other. Let's assume Moscow. Let's just assume that they're going to be in the running, but we cannot say with certainty.
Speaker 2: Anyway, hopefully we're through the woods here on this whole New Year's evening. But let's get into the games. Den. The first game was, of course, the Chick fil A Peach Bowl played down there in Atlanta, Alabama was a hefty favorite, and they won the game twenty four to seven. Surprised at all.
Speaker 1: Surprise that Washington only scored seven, but at the same time, we've seen Alabama's defense this year. Leading up to this game, I was very curious to see because we had seen the SEC not play perhaps super well, and the Pac twelve not play super well, and to see which of these offenses would come to play against two very good defenses, and sort of how to gauge, if at all, postseason results up to that point and say, okay, well, Washington struggled with Utah a little bit, is that going to come back to hunt them against Alabama? And I would say that the biggest surprising thing is that Washington wasn't able to at least mount drives. Not that they weren't able to score twenty points against Alabama, because that's almost an impossibility unless you're Chad Kelly or doctor Bo at this point, or Deshaun Watson. It was that Washington couldn't get creative enough and couldn't adjust well enough to combat just a stupidly talented and deep Alabama front to just put together a forty seven yard drive that ended in three or put together a thirty eight yard drive that pinned Alabama or something like that. It just that was the surprising thing, and also the surprising thing is that Alabama continues to find ways to comfortably win with subpar quarterback play. Not that it's a surprise given the defense, but given that it hasn't come around to really haunt them against a very good team like Washington.
Speaker 2: Clearly is Yeah. I mean, what did we say in the build up to this game? A lot hinged on whether or not Washington was going to be able to run the ball at all. Right, right, they need to and they need to give Jake Browning some balance. He's a good quarterback, but he's better when he's balanced. Washington rushed for forty four yards dan about one point five per carry. The rest was on Browning. To his credit, I don't think he looked horrible. It wasn't in a possibly bad performance, but you know, given the fact that he was under pressure all game, got sacked five times, it was just too much to ask for him. So I don't think his performance was all that terrible. It's just he couldn't do it all himself. One thing that did surprise me though, Now you mentioned Jalen Hurts and the quarterback play was subpar, But I thought Washington's defense actually really good, held it together pretty well, right, how much better are you gonna do against Alabama than twenty four points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they gave up the long run to Bo Scarborough, but all things considered, especially the way that they were harassing Jalen Hurts, not letting him really get loose in the running game, they did a fantastic job. And they've had the secondary all year. I mean, Buddhabaker just a claret and we'll talk about some NFL declarations later. Sidney Jones has been an excellent corner all season long, but without arguably two of their maybe three best players, without has seen Victor and Joe Mathis, Washington had a sound game plan ad just to Alabama's offense really really well. They did the now former Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffen and his game plan, and it was It was one of those things where you saw Washington's defense and especially their front, hold up to Alabama as well as they probably could have, considering the talent divide between maybe Washington some other defenses in the SEC. The difference to me is something you hammered on already Washington's offensive line, and it's not even just a depth thing, it's just a talent thing. You saw right off the bat. They just could not control the Alabama front at all, and it's it's such a hard ask. And to give credit to Chris Peterson and the offensive staff of Washington, I thought the game plan pretty well for Alabama. They weren't asking Jake Browning to take deep drops and step into the pocket and read a defense. They're getting it out of his hand quick. They were trying to run screens, They're trying to get into the perimeter, and there's just so much you can I can't obviously can't do against this Alabama defense. So I think Washington proved that they belonged inasmuch as they will they will continue to grow moving forward. But it was a talent divide spotlight and I tweeted this out during the game time. I don't know if you agree or disagree with this. Quarterbacks that beat Alabama and I listed them by traits that are not necessarily super favorable, But it always seems like the guys that have beaten Alabama have like an irrational confidence to them just to screw a little bit loose.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say there's an X factor there that makes them unpredictable.
Speaker 1: Yes, so total wild cards. So Chad Kelly, Doctor Bo, Trevor Knight, Steven Garcia in twenty ten. Who am I missing? Obviously, Johnny Manziel, those guys, they all seem to have just like, all right, screw it, I'm going deep. I am just going to take chances. I'm going to throw early. And the thing that those guys also had was big receivers. And you look at what Washington has. Good receivers, but five eleven, five seven, you know, six', one all under two hundred. Pounds and those, teams whether it Was Mike, evans whether it Was Laquantosaurus, rex they all seemed to have big. Bodies Alshon jeffery in twenty ten to sort of muscle already big Physical alabama corners around just a little, bit And washington just that's not how they're built at the. Moment, no it.
Speaker 2: Was it WAS i, thought as good a game As washington could have. Played. Defensively for their, part, again they did a pretty good number On Jalen hurts as a, passer just fifty seven. Yards the real, damage, though was on the. Ground you talked About Bo. Scarborough he had an incredible, game a really nice long run one hundred and eighty. YARDS i think two, touchdowns two sixty. Nine as a team on the, GROUND i would expect we'd see more of. That that seems to be their preferred method of. Attack who knows what happens now is we shift play, callers which we can talk about, momentarily but you'd have to expect That clemson knows it's. Coming clemson knows that there may be a little bit of a weakness as there was With Ohio state when it comes to the passing. Game perhaps they can key on the run and Force alabama into some critical situations moving.
Speaker 1: Forward how do you feel About, Washington.
Speaker 2: Well it hurts to lose some guys. Early what is the status of them for next? Season who's, leaving who's staying.
Speaker 1: So not in a huge. Surprise so It's Buddha, Baker All american quality, Safety Sidney, jones a great lockdown, Corner Elijah qualls who is sort of half of or a third of the anchor of a very good defensive, line a, big big body, inside And John. Ross they're Also All american receiver and the big It's Vita veya is another one of their big bodies on the line that's decided to come. Back so right now the hits have mostly come on, defense But Jake browning will be back for his true junior, season and you would assume the offensive line is going to take step forward steps. Forward Miles gaskin And Levon coleman are both. Good so a lot of pieces to feel very good, about especially in a division With stanford unsettled quarterback issues and No christian, McCaffrey oregon completely overhauling. EVERYTHING i. Know Luke fowk is back For, wazoo cal is in. Perennial who's going to be the? Quarterback Does Sunny decks want to be? There. No In Oregon state improving but still a ways. Away SO i think within the context of The huskies and where they, are there's no reason to think that they can't win ten games plus next.
Speaker 2: Year and they've got a good coach who knows how to build.
Speaker 1: It they've got a very very good. COIN i think it's the.
Speaker 2: Most important aspect of. This we do need to talk About Lane kiffin. Leaving let's this news came out shortly After alabama's playoff victory trickled out over the course of the, weekend But Lane, kiffin who has Been alabama's offensive coordinator for a couple of years. Running now it was announced that he's going to be leaving for his job AT fau before The national. Championship, now they did their best to try and put a smiley face on. This, yeah my hunch is that anyone with half a brain recognizes that something clearly went down. Here, Dan do we have an inkling as to what may have gone down here to prompt?
Speaker 1: This there have been reports all over the. Place our Pal Bruce feldman mentioned that things had been particularly tense In tuscaloosa and in meetings Just lane given And Nick saban were not getting along and it just seemed like it was a lame duck situation that certain, instances we Remember Kirby smart from last, year Remember Tom herman At Ohio, state where coordinators make the move to a head, coach but stay within you, know a playoff or a national championship, situation see it. Out but it's a tight rope. Walk it's something that you need to be able to handle with you, know, life balance and grace and if there's something that we can presume either fairly or. Unfairly but you, know we've Seen Lane kiffin in public a lot in the way he's been able to handle. Himself perhaps that tightrope walk was too much and it was best for everybody to move. On and After sark was hired as an, ANALYST i think people long started speculating that he was the heir apparent as offensive, coordinator and it made sense Given Lane kiffin And Steve sarkisian as sort of mind meldy co offensive coordinators AT usc and going, BACK i, mean there was a story That sark was Texting Lane kiffin at halftime with The Michigan state playoff game last year and giving him play. Ideas so it makes sense that the transition won't be all that rocky To Steve. Sarkisian long, term we'll, see but just for The clemson, game everything sort of makes sense with what we know about the entirety of the. Situation shark's got a lot of.
Speaker 2: EXPERIENCE i think they'll be. FINE i don't expect to see that big of a difference between what we saw From alabama all year and what we're going to see Against, clemson but just an interesting development to.
Speaker 1: Follow the big thing, IS i DON'T i know that as an analyst That Steve sarkisian's responsibilities are pretty limited to just like watching films and meeting with other. Coaches like he's NOT i don't think hands on it. Practice he's definitely not a hands on. Recruiter he definitely doesn't know these kids Like Lane kiffin. Does so it'll be interesting to me the type of relationship that he can forge with players is going to be sort of thrown to the fire that you, know he doesn't. Know Perhaps jalen hurts his, rhythms he doesn't, know you, Know Nick saban on game day on the same sideline or in the, booth what he likes and what he doesn't. Like So i'm curious to see how that transition goes in.
Speaker 2: Game All, right we must move on here to talk about the second playoff. Game this one was played In glendale at The Fiesta, bowl the now PlayStation Fiesta. Bowl H clemson wins by a thirty one to nothing. Score, dan who just got? Murdered wow? Wow, yeah this one to me was a true. Shocker. Dan we had two Crock, pottings for what it's, worth two Crock pottings in the playoffs this, Year, alabama which does it nearly every, game and Then clemson in such a dominant manner THAT i just think it caught everyone off. Guard over the last two. Years did you know the combined score of the second later playoff game caroed a?
Speaker 1: VENTURE i, guests is it sixty seventy one to? Nothing something like sixty nine to?
Speaker 2: Nothing alabama one now thirty eight to nothing last, Year clemson thirty one to nothing this. Year, dan listen to some of these numbers From Ohio state's. Offense this is. Crazy they had two hundred and fifteen total, yards three point eight yards per attempt through the, air just eighty eight on the, ground three, turnovers three for fourteen on third, downs and just nine first downs as a. Whole, dan talk about a dominating performance by a. Defense it was an unbelievable performance From clemson's, defense constantly harassing and Overwhelming Ohio state its offensive. Line Anytime Ohio state had the. BALL i felt as IF i were watching a magician on a stage continually screw up a trick and be, like, no, no, no let me hold, on let me try this. Again your cards an eight of? Clubs is it is this your?
Speaker 1: Car?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, hoping so let me try it. Again i'm gonna get. This let me just i gotta work this. Out that's what it felt like Watching Ohio state's. Offense AND i felt really bad FOR. Jt. BARRETT i felt really bad for a ton of talent on The Ohio state offensive side of the. Ball but it just wasn't. There it just was not. Happening and we've seen and it Was Ohio state WHO i was talking about earlier WHEN i was saying like how. MUCH i, mean you were very big on The Big ten heading into. Bowlseason and even THOUGH i don't think either one of us fully believe that bowl records are a mandate on conference, STRENGTH i think we can start looking at The Big ten season with you, know a slightly different lens, that, oh maybe the bottom of The Big ten is just that atrocious that it sort of, masks sort of seasons some of the problems with the top of The Big. Ten and we can talk About michigan And Florida state, soon and Certainly Penn state held up hits end of the, bargain but it was ugly and we had seen it FROM. J. T barrett these past few. Weeks and you, Know clemson weathering the turnovers they weather, turnovers and that's a. Talent THAT'S i Think alabama's the only other team that can do it like they do because they throw what you, have two, Picks, Yeah Deshaun watson has two, picks and for whatever, Reason Dabo swinny and that staff and both sides of the, ball there's something like fourteen and one when they have two. Turnovers so they're able to weather that. Storm we'll see what happens in The National championship. Game BUT i, think, yeah the story was The clemson defense And Deshaun watson not getting it all down on himself and making huge plays both with his arm and with his.
Speaker 2: LEGS a really balanced attack From. Clemson. Two, yeah which was nice to. See you Mentioned Deshaun. Watson he needs to cut down on the. Picks he does, well one of them was a.
Speaker 1: Slip was a?
Speaker 2: Slip, okay that's. Fine he needs to cut down the picks if he wants to Beat. Alabama this is not An alabama team that you can just give the ball. To Correct, now you mentioned the fourteen to one, record that's. Notable he's going to be going against a much better defense here in the form Of. ALABAMA i would would you much.
Speaker 1: Better Ohio state has a really really good.
Speaker 2: DEFENSE i mean they gave up thirty one points To. Clemson, well they.
Speaker 1: Gave up thirty one points with their offense just giving the ball.
Speaker 2: AWAY i will Take alabama ten times out of. Ten Ohio states defense has been great all. Year, Yeah i'm still.
Speaker 1: That's the shame of. Everything, yeah that's. FINE i just don't THINK i, Mean alabama's defense is, great BUT i think it's fair to Say Ohio state's defense is also great all things, considered with the turnover and also just the results that they've gotten this. Year but Man Wayne galman was decent enough broke loose a couple of. Times Deshaun watson had had a couple huge. Runs Mike williams is a big difference, maker and we talked about the types of quarterbacks that Beat alabama with what they, need big physical. Receivers Mike williams can be very easily classified. That, yeah and don't forget About Hunter renfro who's not. Big But noelpe was able to slip in and make a bunch of big. Plays between him And Mike, williams they combined for eleven catches in about one hundred and fifty, Yards so a good effort across the board For. Clemson, obviously the score dictates.
Speaker 2: That i'm with. YOU i think their success now moving forward into a rematch of last Year's National championship, game hinges almost entirely on What Deshaun watson is able to produce on his. Own to what end can he will this team to.
Speaker 1: Victory, yeah and the other name we didn't, mention WHICH i think will be a bigger name in The National championship game Is Jordan. Leggett didn't was pretty. QUIET i think he only had a single, catch BUT i imagine he will be a big target Against alabama And Curtis samuel sixty seven yards rushing with a long of sixty. Four, yeah five carries for three. Yards outside of, That clemson's defense had over the course of the season gotten sort of tired and lapsed in fourth. Quarters they didn't know such thing in this new.
Speaker 2: Game, No, actually all the DEFENSES i thought looked pretty. Refreshed, yeah even despite the fact That clemson put thirty one On Ohio. STATE i thought all these defenses played, fast played. Angry it just Wasn't Ohio state's.
Speaker 1: Evening you saw that by the way you saw That Malik hooker. Interception, oh he's.
Speaker 2: Great you KNOW i was talking About Malik hooker.
Speaker 1: BACK i know you, were you were a boy day in early AND i JUST i want to make sure that you see such things because he's special and that is the end of His Ohio state career And i'm sure he will make AN nfl team very.
Speaker 2: Happy so there you have. It It's alabama Against. Clemson the game is going to be On monday, Evening january. Ninth mm. Hmm alabama's about a six and a half point. Favorite we're going to do our preview of that game On friday evening after you AND i. Arrive my initial take here is That i've been all in On alabama all. Year there's been no reason to really doubt THAT i. DO i have a little bit of doubt creeping in now because of what we saw From Jalen hurts and also because of something you mentioned With Steve sarkisian taking. Over to what degree will he just know the beats of the? Team? Yeah that to, ME i THINK i Think warren's MENTIONING i could see myself flipping a pick for. That, ULTIMATELY i. WON'T i have a ton of confidence In Deshaun. WATSON i still Think alabama is the better. Team if any team can pull the upset, here It's. Clemson they're constructed in a manner THAT i think makes it.
Speaker 1: POSSIBLE i think you're, right and we'll get into this much more when we preview the game in more. Depth But i'm curious if This alabama team Is. Listen they're definitely, Great they're definitely one hundred percent. Great But i'm curious because it seems like they're not quite as deep defensively as they were last, year and as much of a fine quality but nothing special quality As Jake kocher. Was he was a, senior he was, experienced he was what twenty two years? Old Jalen hurts is, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen whatever he, is and in his first full. Season i'm curious if there's a number of factors that maybe didn't over inflate but Inflated alabama's worth a little. Bit i'm not crazy about the quarterbacks they faced this. Year Chad kelly was the clear best quarterback they, played, right agreed when YOU i Mean Jake browning accomplished a, ton but within the sec, specifically during the regular, Season Chad kelly is the clear number, one and outside of, that it's NOT i, mean It's Stephen, johnson it's Who Brandon, allen excuse, Me Austin, Allen It's Trevor, knight S Danny, Etling Nack, Starld Josh, Dobbs austin appleby the mix At, auburn, like there just hasn't been Since Chad kelly put whatever forty plus On. Alabama there hasn't been that. Guy And Deshaun watson is like four steps up from any of, those any of those guys right now with the way he's. Playing So I'M i just am wondering if there's a very very very very very HEIGHTENED lro situation With. ALABAMA i. WONDER i don't, Know we'll, say not a, take just.
Speaker 2: Curiosity, Well i'm sure by the end of the weekend both of us will have talked to ourselves somehow Into. Clemson, absolutely that's just the way these things.
Speaker 1: Go do you remember when we were, like, listen Notre dames front to get you Against, Alabama LIKE i you know That Bob Diaco DEEF.
Speaker 2: I cantort it myself into that. Argument DAN i backed myself into an incredible, corner not even BECAUSE i believed, it but just BECAUSE i heard so many other folks down there at the media hotel talking about. It, YEAH i don't, know we'll. See it will be an intriguing. Matchup it's a great. Rematch Deshaun watson's fun to, watch and now Obviously alabama has been great all, year so we'll we'll see which direction that game. Goes much much more to come on, that so do stay tuned here to our podcast Feet, Yeah, dan we got a bunch of other games to discuss here.
Speaker 1: Too, yeah it's just a three hour. Show people are going on road trips.
Speaker 2: Before we get, there. Though we have to pay some. Bills, okay do you have Seat geek on your? Phone?
Speaker 1: Always? Absolutely is it?
Speaker 2: Not by far the easiest way to buy. Tickets it's super.
Speaker 1: Simple AND i was just talking with people around The espanation OFFICE i, LIVE i don't, know twenty twenty five minute walk From Parklay. CENTER i was, Like, oh The nets aren't very, good and there's all sorts of GREAT nba players come into my. Neighborhood i'm gonna go get cheap tickets to play to see The nets Play i'm doing on Sea.
Speaker 2: Geek there you. Go you can be. Anywhere all you need is the app and just a few. Taps you can instantly find seats for this, weekend any game this. Season you always get the best deal in every ticket because they price compare for. You oh love that every ticket they price. Compare they search multiple ticketing. Sites the prices can vary depending where you, shop but seat geek is always going to find you the lowest available, price which is important to keep in. Mind they also want to help you get the most bang for your. Buck As i've mentioned time and time, again every ticket on the site is given a grade based on, value so you'll immediately see any underpriced. Seats you can figure out where the deals are to fit your. Budget on top of all, that every ticket is guaranteed one so you can shop with. Confidence here is the. Deal if you're looking to go to A i don't, know basketball, GAME nfl playoff, game they're all the rage right, now, performances, concerts, shows you name. It you can get twenty dollars off in the form of a rebate after your first Seat geek. Purchase. Nice in order to get, it you gotta download the app got to get that. First then you go to, settings click on add a promo code and enter hours which is. Solid. Solid after you make a, Purchase sik's going to send you twenty bucks and that's, it, straightforward download the. App promo code is, solid do it?
Speaker 1: Easy all?
Speaker 2: Right where are we going? Next?
Speaker 1: DAN i guess we should go To New year six. Games let's go to The Rose bowl because a lot of people are saying it. Was, yeah it was the best game of the, season AND i can't find a compelling argument to say it was.
Speaker 2: Not your final score fifty two to forty, nine just an unbelievably fun, game the most points ever scored in A Rose, BOWL a ton of, offense a ton of. Records Saquon barkley in a losing, Effort, yeah had three hundred and six in all purpose yardage and three. Touchdowns Sam donald, though was really he was the, guy wasn't?
Speaker 1: He he absolutely was and wasn't doing a ton trace mcsoli was the one hitting. Downfield Sam donald was an efficiency. Play he threw the ball fifty. Times he didn't get to ten yards per attempt or anything like, that so he wasn't throwing the ball. Successfully downfield a, ton but it was slants and short. Stuff it was him extending, plays being very good on third. Down and then the at the end of the game over the middle was just it was. Call it should be in a, museum it should be, worshiped it should be, buried and let the aliens see at five thousand years from now to see what college football. Is it was everything perfect about. Athletics So Sam donald had the hell of a. Game Penn state was able to hold DOWN usc on the, ground which was an impressive thing considering the talent that THAT usc. Has but, Yeah Deontay burnett And Juju Smith schuster both just ran wild Behind Penn state. Secondary and on that same, Note Chris, Godwin, yeah my, goodness my, Goodness Saklon barkley had a big. Game BUT i think that was the big national coming out party For Chris.
Speaker 2: Godwin let's go back To Sam donald for a. Second, yeah it's of. Note so we had four fifty three, passing five, touchdowns one, pick in total yardage four seventy. Three din that Break young's record from that EPIC usc loss back in what two thousand and, six The national championship game in The Rose, bowl he broke that record stupid four to seventy three total. Yardage Penn state lost a turnover battle.
Speaker 1: They did, early Especially, yeah.
Speaker 2: Had a bit of a rocky. Go they lost a turnover battle four to. One even if they get one of those, back maybe it's a different. GAME i. Thought Penn state acquitted itself.
Speaker 1: Well Penn state acquitted itself very.
Speaker 2: Well AS i said in the, PREVIEW i was a little bit worried that there was a one trick pony thing going on. Here you, know they liked to throw. Deep they liked the big. Play you live by the, sword you die by the. Sword M i thought we saw both sides of that in the. Game you, know we saw the failure of being high, risk high reward on literally every. Play we also saw the rewards of doing that as. Well trace, McSorley he's an exciting player to. Watch in the, end it was the pop gun arm that kind of got. Him it kind of, well yes and, no it kind of got him at the end, There.
Speaker 1: Yes, no it definitely got him at the. End he you, know you've been saying this all season. Long he perhaps thinks his arm is stronger than it actually, Is but that arm got them into this. Position to begin, With Penn state has seven straight drives with touchdowns starting AT i think the end of the first, quarter heading into THE i guess the end of the third. Quarter seven straight drives with, touchdowns including three one play, touchdowns AND i you, know everybody should be Following Bill connolly if they're not. Already but you know what he noted was they're not the most efficient team in terms of putting together drives going eighty one yards and ending with, six but they are insanely explosive and consistently, explosive so they're almost efficient in their, explosion whatever that could possibly. Mean the big difference to me is when those explosive plays stop. Happening it seemed like they. Weren't Penn state's fourth quarter fumble on a negative one yard, drive punch on a two yard, drive punt on a ten yard, drive interception on a one yard total, drive AND i Again Bill connolly's success right, metric it was like something like seventy two, percent sixty five, percent fifty nine percent for the first three quarters and then seven percent From Penn state in the fourth. Quarter and it's something we've seen from a bunch of other teams that have been, really really good that just they just run out of gas for whatever reason late and it's just it's a tough spot to do. It hell of a game From Penn, state but they had three quarters in. Them that wasn't.
Speaker 2: Enough and all due credit to both these. Teams, yeah by the, WAY i mean both teams finished the year with what ten. Wins not bad either. WAY a lot of weird calls in this game, Too, yeah which bears. Mentioning we had a video review which overturned a pass interference, call Which i've never seen.
Speaker 1: Before very. Strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah we had a phantom personal foul Call entres McSorley as he was. Sliding we had a bunch of other.
Speaker 1: Like do be mean it was it was? Targeting, yeah we had the target that was.
Speaker 2: Targeting i'm fine with the, TIME i think. So, Yeah BUT i mean just tight wire axe along the. Sidelines, really everything that college football had to, offer maybe with the exception of, defense this game brought to the.
Speaker 1: Four, yeah but EVEN i mean there were force, turnovers there were big stops from both. Teams leon McQuay eventually gets the pick after dropping a pick at the end of the. Game the big bummer to, me and we shouldn't gloss over. This Dorri jackson has been a spectacular college football player and bump to see him go down with an injury that that was a. Bummer AND i know their other, Cornerback Biggie, marshall left the game at, halftime came back for a little while with, vertigo so we hope he's all. Right but, yes You're you're absolutely right the best of what college for football had to. Offer what is, It Mike gasicki with the ridiculous diving catch in the end. Zone just a really good year for tight, ends surprisingly across college. Football so fun to see.
Speaker 2: That and both these teams should be pretty well set for next season.
Speaker 1: Too, YEAH i could SEE usc very that hype. Train. TIE i don't know if you, have but that hype. Train we're shoveling coal right. Now they'll be a top five, team almost assuredly with the return Of Sam darnold And Penn. State it's pretty easy to see with how young they still. Are top, ten top, ten the easily. TOP i would imagine they'll be top. Ten so you have a top ten team to root for next, Year, Tie, YEAH i got at least One dan and that ain't, bad, right not bad at? All moving on to The Capital One Orange, Bowl let's do. That this is another great game.
Speaker 2: From top to. Bottom it wasn't as great as The Rose. Bowl this one heated up, late but still a, really really good. Matchup Florida state wins thirty three to thirty two over The wolverines Of. Michigan Jabill peppers didn't play in this. Game, no it was due to a hamstring. Injury there was some speculation is This christian McCaffrey Or Leonard fournette te type of. Thing he explained as much to the. Media he was very emotional about. It clearly that was not the case. Here he wanted to, play he, practiced he was ready to. Play he just wanted like one more, day one more.
Speaker 1: Day was heart, Broken yet.
Speaker 2: One more day might have made the world of. Difference AND i just wonder what effect that had on The michigan. Defense if You're Doc, brown your defensive game plan For Florida state has to revolve a lot around what you can do With Jabrill. Peppers you can move them all over the. Field he can play, corner he can play a, linebacker he can play. Safety you can do so many different things with the player of that. Caliber to not have him in the lineup was a pretty big blow right from the get.
Speaker 1: Go, yeah and Certainly michigan can count on his. Versatility but Also Jabrill peppers doesn't really throw the ball all that much when he gets in as A wildcat, quarterback so there WERE i think the issues For michigan were largely offensive because they did a great job mostly Against Florida state through the. Air DeAndre francois finishes nine of twenty, seven so they keep the passing game down. Mostly Dalvin, COOK i, know had a couple of really big, runs but all things, considered could have been, worse could have been Worse Aalvin. COOK i, mean he put up a ton of yardage and he rushed for seven yards of. Carry BUT i think they did a pretty nice, job especially in the back half of the game containing The Florida state. Offense it was just, listen what is it? Now two summers. AGO i, Mean michigan's offensive line didn't like me BECAUSE i made fun of them or something in an offhanded. Way it was not a good way for this Upperclassman leyden unit to finish out their. Season they got smoked in this. Game And, tye this is with all due respect To Steve. Dazzio, Yeah i've got a dude. Alert. Yeah DeMarcus, Walker, YEAH i, know. Spicy DeMarcus walker was just ridiculous in this. Game And Wilton spade is probably still seeing him in his. Dreams so, Uh, Michigan, yeah finishes the season in a disappointing. Way they're gonna be a lot younger next. YEAR i imagine the quarterback race will be pretty. Open they've got some young quarterbacks. THERE i Know john o'corn is. Back Shane morris announced that he is going to transfer as a, graduate so he'll be eligible immediately wherever he ends. Up and there's a ton of. Talent An, Arbor Florida state perhaps has even more. Talent and they were dealing WITH i know you mentioned The Jabrill peppers, injury but they dealt with so much in the way of, injury including their best defensive player In Derwin. James also a. Dude but we don't need to go on the do it. Alert but, yeah also. Disappointing AND i pointed this Out michigan and the two teams That michigan lost to during the, season Not Florida, state but during the actual season combined to score how many touchdowns in the? POST i believe that be, Zero, dan that would be zero points, Zero so not the greatest reflection at this.
Speaker 2: Point, yeah let's go back To Florida state's defensive that f please you mentioned the defensive. Front they were superior in this. Game listen to these. Numbers four. SACKS i don't even have numbers for how much pressure they. GENERATED i know there were fifteen tackles for loss allowed just eighty nine yards on the ground about two and a half per. Carry also played really well in the. Secondary trailed off a little bit After Trey marshall got bounced for the, targeting but still a pretty good effort across the. Board and that's notable to me Because michigan's strength as an offensive unit was what they were able to do on the ground for most of the. Year Wilton, spate he was okay for most of the, year just, efficient pretty good as a game, manager hit some long plays when they needed, to but ultimately this was a team that liked to run the football and they just weren't able to do. That and when they dropped back to pass people were hanging Off wilton.
Speaker 1: Space they were somewhat efficient against the better teams on their. SCHEDULE i looked this up Because Jed, Fish michigan's quarterbacks and receivers, coach is now the offensive coordinator AT. Ucla or at least it was. ANNOUNCED i don't know if everything is. Official michigan AGAINST fbs winning teams had like the one hundred and first most efficient quarterback rating in like one hundred and fourteenth yards per, Attempt so they really struggled through the air against the better teams they. Played so they're going to need to take a major step forward next. Year whoever the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Is also of. Note Jake butt tore his acl oh hated. This this was tough to. WATCH i felt real bad for. Him. Early, yeah, Yeah. Early he's a GREAT nfl. Prospect he's been a, mainstay so we wish him the. Best, yeah just a sad thing to.
Speaker 1: See, YEAH i hope he recovers fully makes a quadrillion dollars in THE.
Speaker 2: Nfl let's go to The Cotton bowl. Next let's do that goodyear Conton Bowl wisconsin twenty, Four Western michigan. Sixteen you, KNOW i wasn't surprised by the result of this. GAME i was surprised By Western michigan's ability to adjust because early On wisconsin look they looked like they were going to run through them like a hot knife through. BUTTER i THINK i even tweeted it out dead and they were able to run as a. Team they had one hundred and eighty four, yards but it wasn't the kind of dominant power rushing effort THAT i. Expected Corey klement got off to a really good. Start if you're watched in the first quarter and like a quarter and a, HALF i guess it looked like he might run for two hundred, yards but he finished with just seventy one average three and a half per, carry which was. Okay wisconsin got up, Early Western michigan found a way to scrape. Back it was never a runaway. Train, ULTIMATELY i think it comes down To wisconsin playing better defense and finding a matchup In troy From magali that they were able to. Exploit here talk about A doode, Alert, ty talk about A doode. Alert it was not a situation, though Where Western michigan got blown off the. Field they were very competitive in this.
Speaker 1: Game, yeah and somewhat fortunate to recover a number of. Fumbles they have the backbreaking interception late which sealed it For. Wisconsin and you know, what good For Bart houston and you, know he came in pretty touted and started season and has gotten into the, mix and he had an incredibly efficient day obviously partially and thanks To Troy. Fumagali JAZZ pv had a nice. Day Corey clement end of his, career had a very nice career In Madison JAZZ pv with you know they're gonna run fly sweeps With JAZZ. Pv that's just a. Reality but, yeah the story Is Western michigan, hanging you, know Finding Corey davis at key, moments pushing the pile forward on. Offense you, know it was it was a really nice year for For. Western i'm curious now That minnesota's open, tie are we going to See gophers in a? Boat gophers in a? Boat i'm. CURIOUS i, hope you, know for the sake Of western THAT pj flex sticks around for another. Year but good for good For western's performance in The Cotton, bowl it was A it was a decent enough, game.
Speaker 2: WAS i the only one kind of annoyed WITH. Pj.
Speaker 1: Fleck are his antics getting under your? Skin?
Speaker 2: Tie they are getting under my skin a little. Bit.
Speaker 1: Ah he's.
Speaker 2: Fun he's a fun guy to. Watch he's obviously built some thing At Western. Michigan. Yeah i'm not Like Debbie. DOWNER i like myself a good chuckle when it comes to college.
Speaker 1: Football but there are.
Speaker 2: Just something about.
Speaker 1: Him everybody knows this about, You, ty you love a good.
Speaker 2: Chuckle something about HIM i found rather annoying and sort of obnoxious.
Speaker 1: Here all, Right i'm sorry to hear.
Speaker 2: THAT i wasn't rooting against. HIM i just that was my. TAKEAWAY i don't.
Speaker 1: Know, okay, anyway he's all cheese, ball But i've made peace with.
Speaker 2: It he's a good. Coach he's a good. Coach we'll see if he takes another. Gig, yeah that would be a cool For. Minnesota but, okay sugar ball all. Staged Sugar. Bowl we Had oklahoma thirty Five auburn. Nineteen DID i see That Seawan white broke his arm and played through? It?
Speaker 1: Yeah another game with the coaches playing a clearly Injured Sean. WHITE a little, strange but yes he. Did He the toughness cannot be questioned.
Speaker 2: This one was a second half runaway train For. Oklahoma they got things. Going it was pretty much all. Over the final score makes this one walk closer than it actually, was because they scored like literally a garbage time touchdown and garbage time touchdowns at the gun that gave them the nineteen. Points but until that point it was what thirty five thirteen something like.
Speaker 1: That, yeah it. Was it was not really all that close for the majority of the, game and also not the best game For Brett. Musburger, no not the. Best it's okay to say perhaps not super positive things about somebody who punched a woman in the face point. Blank it's okay to not, say you, know you hope he succeeds later, On, like it's okay to just sort of take things at face value and move forward and just sort of explain things and you, know have a slightly disappointed tone to your. Speech it's okay not to like be full on and, LISTEN i think we both really Like Brent musburger And Jesse palmer. Totally, yeah but you're watching, that you're, like, man they're just weirdly pring this and it just feels. Strange it's it's completely.
Speaker 2: Unnecessary there was a weird slurping going on there, that, YEAH i wasn't entirely comfortable. With but, yeah they're not saying he should be thrown to the pits of. Hell but you, know just it lacked a lot of. TACT i, thought all, right where are we going next? Year, Citril let's Go Citrus. Bowl let's do. THAT lsu twenty, Nine louieville.
Speaker 1: Nine, yeah it wasn't even that.
Speaker 2: Close, no it really. Wasn't Lamar jackson held in check ten of twenty seven for one fifty seven through the. Air, yeah twenty six carries thirty three yards on the. GROUND i hate to say, it AND i feel dirty saying. It the better quarterback in this game Was Danny, Etling And i'm not saying he's the better quarterback as a, whole and he didn't have to be for very long in this, game thank. You, yeah in this, game he was the better. Quarterback the better running back Was Darius, geist the better receiver Was malachai Dupri the better defense WAS Ls. Hughes that's why they won only three field goals For. Louisville this was sort of a crock potting. TOO i, think, yeah it was LSU's defense was dominant in this. Game that's why they won by.
Speaker 1: Twenty, Yeah Arden key was, great predictably and another dude alert For ard And. Key But louisville just finishing the season in the most underwhelming. Way and it's hard to say anybody fully deserved The heisman Over Lamar jackson because at his peak he was better than any other at least offensive. Player but, man His, november His, december, whatever just. Underwhelming and it's sad to. See maybe it was on the. Coaches Maybe Lamar jackson just sort of hit a. Wall but, YEAH lsu came to Play Darius. Geist you see him level The louisville. Kicker, yeah somebody tweeted OUT i forget who was, like, oh The louisville kicker is Now and then The louisville kicker retweeted and, said, NO i am. Alive but you know, What i'm glad we have. CONFIRMATION i did not want The louisville kicker to die AND lsu AND i look this. UP lsu this season their defense and stars at every. Level their red zone defense held THOSE fbs winning record teams to a touchdown percentage in the red zone of sixteen point six. Percent sixteen point six percent of opponents WITH fbs winning records scored touchdowns when they got into the red zone AGAINST, lsu the only other team under forty percent Was Ohio state at thirty eight point seven. Percent that's a pretty big. Jump, yeah and no team in like the last eight. YEARS i use cfbstats Dot com a great resource if you haven't checked it out for some of these. Numbers no TEAM i think has ever been under twenty or has been under twenty percent since two thousand and. Eight, like it's it's absurd how high of a just brick WALL lsu puts up at the goal.
Speaker 2: Line, well it showed here just three field goals For. Louisville louisville was a high scoring offense all year and obviously had The Heisman trovy. Winner they weren't able to do much. Here they lost by twenty out back Ball florida, Thirty iowa. Three, yeah this was not a fun game to.
Speaker 1: Watch it was not a fun game at.
Speaker 2: All we predicted. That we predicted. That in, fairness, yeah we knew it was going to be this kind of. Game but three to three after the first, quarter Then florida jumps in front on a long touchdown pass before, half and then it was pretty much all The florida. Defense iowa just could not get anything moving. WHATSOEVER. Cj bethard was ineffective through the, air which wasn't a huge, surprise but it was good to See florida finishing out a good team Like. Iowa not a great, team but a good team Like. IOWA a lot of big players For. Florida their defense is also crazy beat.
Speaker 1: UP. Cj bethard just could not find anybody in the past the. Game acromwildely could not do it. Himself he had a nice day Against, florida but the turnovers and the pick, six, actly it's just you can't too, much, yo you gotta be a little bit better than. That offensively In iowa just such a down. Day and it's not like they were PARTICULARLY i don't think they committed a ton of. Penalties they just It's Greg. Davis it's when that offense is, bad it's.
Speaker 2: Bad The Hyundai Sun, Bowl Dan, Yes stanford twenty, FIVE unc twenty, Three christian who.
Speaker 1: Not. Quite it's more Like solomon who is, yeah great at. Football Bryce love had a pretty good. Game, Yeah stanford's offense wasn't particularly. Good No, STANFORD i, mean they couldn't really move the ball through the. Air the defense won this. GAME i know they had to pick six late to sort of cap this. Game North carolina had a chance at the end of the, game But Solomon thomas sort of showed why he is An All american caliber. Player he was. RIDICULOUS i think what he Sacks Mitch trubisky at the, end and.
Speaker 2: They couldn't, stop and they couldn't block the ball.
Speaker 1: Game he was completely. Unblockable sad to, SAY i Think Keller chris went down with a torn.
Speaker 2: Acl, yeah that was.
Speaker 1: Sad that was sad to. See Mitch trubisky threw some. Dimes But North carolina's defense just, actually you know, WHAT i was about to say something bad About North carolina's, Defense they actually played pretty. Well they're a little bit healthier than they've been most of this, season and it was not nearly as much on the defense as it could have. Been they only gave up what seventeen eighteen points To stanford's. Offense it was a nice day For North carolina and they put the Tar heels in position to win this. Game the offense just couldn't get it. Done way too.
Speaker 2: Streaky And Mitch TRUBISKY i thought looked good when he had he didn't get a lot of, help he was, fine BUT i thought his ability to deal with pressure down the stretch to come back and nearly tie the game was really. Admirable he threw some really nice passes in this, game even if the stats don't fully reflect. IT i don't know if he's the first overall pick in the. Draft, well my hunch is. No right AS i said a couple of weeks, ago but if someone uses a mid to late first round pick On Mitch, TRUBISKY i think that would be. Understandable at this, Point he's a, guy he's got a lot of. Potential i'm not sure he's fully there. YET i don't think he's a finished, product but clearly he's got the arm talent to succeed at the next.
Speaker 1: Level i'm willing to be impressed with, him but not be super impressed with them as a first ROUND nfl.
Speaker 2: Quarterback, no, okay The Franklin American Mortgage Music City, Bowl, Tennisportidge, yes thank you got to pronounce that Tea tennessee thirty Eight nebraska twenty Four Dan Tommy Armstrong junior did not, play SO i did switch my pick To.
Speaker 1: TENNESSEE i THINK i did a very good job of talking you Into tennessee in this. Game you.
Speaker 2: Did thank. YOU i appreciate, that AND i beat you in the.
Speaker 1: Bullpool maybe Because hell, Team yeah it's entirely, possible but, YEAH i mean my whole justification was one of these teams has lost a game sixty two to. Three let's not pick that.
Speaker 2: Team Riiker fife got the, Start, dan he was Decidedly riker.
Speaker 1: Fighting, yeah better THAN i.
Speaker 2: Expected seventeen to thirty, six two forty three to two. Touchdowns, yeah it could have been, worse just not enough to get it. Done Once Josh dobbs got going because this game belonged to him his final game two ninety one in a touch through the, air one eighteen on the ground in three. Touchdowns he really took this game over in a big way and that's Why tennessee.
Speaker 1: Won, yeah disappointing game For nebraska's offensive. Line Derek barnett just completely wreaked, havoc which is not a. Surprise also a, dude And tennessee could against a team that is not really really really good in THE. Sec tennessee's offense will move the. Ball tennessee's, OFFENSE i, mean Especially Josh dobbs has had a great second half of the, season quietly because of all of the hype fading early on in the. Season But nebraska really has come down from sort of a perception early. On, No Tommy armstrong certainly hurts. That, defensively they were pushed around constantly in their offensive line was just atrocious against This tennessee. Front So, NEBRASKA i think they're recruiting really. WELL i haven't paid too much, attention But i've my high school is like giving them like three good players. Apparently so it's a feeder system, now but it'll be interesting moving forward Now. Tennessee So tennessee has there's no More mike to. Board he has gone To. INDIANA i believe to be the offensive coordinator Of Tom, allen AND i Believe i've read in a couple Places Mark helfrich was a guest At Tennessee bowl, Practice so maybe there's smoke to That Mark helfrich. Fire tennessee will have an open quarterback job next, year AND i don't believe the hype will be as, robust BUT i think it'll be there moving.
Speaker 2: Forward it should. Be they've recruited really, well and two nine win seasons in a, row they've recruited really. Well. Yeah and of, course the other rumor That i'm sure or you're gonna love to talk about over the course of the next couple months and possibly the next, season there is a former big name college football coach who's out there on the free agent, Market Steve spurrier one in the forum Of charles Chip. Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, UH i, mean we can talk about some of the news and rumors, later but, yeah some of the news about Chip, kelly including from our Friend Bruce, feldman is that there are at least a couple of schools that would be willing to make a coaching change if they felt they could get Chip. KELLY i don't think It's tennessee at this, POINT, Ucla, hell MAYBE a AND m maybe he oh THEY. O kevin's a lot of. MONEY i don't think they'll make that. Move not this.
Speaker 2: Year we'll. See he's going to be a name to, watch to say the. Least we'll see when that eventually ends up. Going BUT i think if it goes the same way it did this year For. Tennessee they could potentially be in the market for a new.
Speaker 1: Coach, yeah that's a tough, job tough. Job that's that's an eleven twelve win expectation without without the recent.
Speaker 2: Results Nick saban's driving people in THE sec.
Speaker 1: Crazy, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: All, Right speaking, up Which georgia won their bowl game thirty one to twenty three OVER. Tcu they finished eight to. Five i'm not sure how much of The Liberty bowl you had a chance to, Watch, dan But Nick chubb had a nice game. Here Jacob, eason you know it Looked, okay there wasn't anything in this game THAT i found, exemplary BUT i thought a nice way For georgia to finish out its. SEASON a pretty disappointing, SEASON i think For Kirby smart in year. ONE i think people had really high expectations for what The dogs were going to do in year one of his. Tutelage but got to, remember you had a freshman, quarterback defensive. Turnover, yeah a lot of moving pieces here THAT i thought came. Together, okay just maybe not to the extent that a lot of fans.
Speaker 1: Wanted, YEAH i was going to, say speaking of disappointing offensive lines after The Nebraska tennessee. Game it would have been good Because georgia's had a disappointing offensive line all year long IN tcu the back half of the season, anyway and as evidenced in The Liberty bowl Against. Georgia, oh their OFFENSIVE i gotta be. Down yeah they got beat. Down but, yeah disappointing season FOR. Tcu good For georgia are finishing out the season on a strong. NOTE i believe they're recruiting super, well so there should be a lot of optimism In, athens though you'd like to see some more offensive consistency and or.
Speaker 2: Efficiency The Valero alamobowl Between Oklahoma state And colorado was a bit of a runaway train in favor Of Oklahoma. State Mason rudolph got it. Going colorado just couldn't. Score this game surprised. ME i expected a little bit more of a fight From. Colorado you were on record Picking Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: STATE i was on record Picking Oklahoma. STATE i just could count on them a little bit. More Say llufau was coming off of the injury Against. Washington the man you? Have you Watched? Westworld, yes a little bit shows In, Okay so, conceptually you understand what's going. On sure that you know you can kill some robots and they're gonna come right back to. Life Say lulufoul just week in and week, out getting hurt early making his way. Back AM i saying that he's A West world? Host, yes that's What i'm. Saying Say lulufou is an Old west robot. Cowboy Mason rudolph was great in this, game not surprisingly another, Dude James, washington Junkyard Jim. Washington he completely explodes On colorado for what over one hundred and fifty, yards had a big, touchdown And Oklahoma state sort of secretly and quietly becomes defined by, defense ball, control running the ball really well over the second half of the. Season Justice hill with another good. Game Vincent taylor personal favorite of mine because he's A, pieman was A pieman, finalist always A pieman. Finalist So Oklahoma state did a really nice, job especially with strange circumstances at the end of a certain game early in the, season of not letting that define who they were all.
Speaker 2: Year dum where else we go in, Here i'm going to run through these pretty. Much let's do it, requiz you, know we're running short on. Time The Belk bowl Between Virginia tech And. Arkansas Virginia tech wins thirty five to twenty. Four Virginia tech caught a heater in this. Game they were losing early and then they just poured it on in the span of gosh knows how. Long it seems as if this game just turned on a. Dime all of a, sudden they were. Up they end up winning the football game going. Away the big story for me, though out of The Belk bowl was did you see the controversy about the. SHOPLIFTING i did see the.
Speaker 1: Controversy it Was Josh, SPRINKLE i believe, So, Yes Jeremy, sprinkle something like.
Speaker 2: That so you get a four hundred and fifty dollars gift card to go To belk and they say you got ninety. Minutes, yeah get as much as he can for four hundred and fifty. Dollars, yeah this enterprising young man decided that he was going to try and take, more and he got pegged for, it AND i believe didn't play in this.
Speaker 1: Game. Dan it's not the easiest thing to do to spend three four hundred dollars a. Bell you can there's some good values to be. Had per my quick scanning of their, website four hundred and.
Speaker 2: Fifty dollars is a lot to. Spend you can find many. Dollars you can find some big ticket items that will suit your. Fancy in ninety minutes does not seem like too much to. Ask he got a little bit too, greedy and he paid for, it.
Speaker 1: Forgettable twenty four. Hours and, someday When Justin Flente fuente, RETIRES i desperately hope that he starts a sports bar called thirty five. Unanswered all, right that's ALL i. Want that Was that was?
Speaker 2: Awful? Okay advocare v one Hundred Texas bowl K state thirty THREE a AND m twenty. Eight Bill snyder does it, Again, Dan, yes he. Does freaking guy does it. Again big plays though From Kansas state uncharacteristic and it was just ball control and from a sprinkle to A Pringle Byron, pringle a nice, day has a long touchdown And TEXAS a AND m just can't stay out of their own. Way And Trevor knight.
Speaker 1: Has a nice enough, day but they they they the second half was just not a time for TEXT a AND. M i didn't watch a lot of this. Game BUT i was slipping back and, forth and every single time THAT i went back to which bowl game was?
Speaker 2: This this was The advocare v one Hundred Texas.
Speaker 1: Excuse, me excuse, me The advocare v one Hundred Texas. Bowl it seemed Like TEXAS a and m either just didn't have the ball Because Kansas state was sitting on it or giving it.
Speaker 2: Away all, right some other bowl games real. Quick Russell Athletic bowl thirty one in favor Of Miami West virginia. Fourteen Brad kaya announced that he is foregoing his senior. Season he is going to THE NFL dan also The Russell Athletic. Bowl cluing us in on what eye slide sandals are all, about.
Speaker 1: Right we have now custom eyeside sandals they sent to, us and they seem very. COMFORTABLE i have not put them on my, feet, yet but they're they're called eyesides apparently because you can slide your foot right. IN i slide my foot, in so they're they're sort of the rubbery like you would wear if you were a thirteen year old playing in a soccer. Tournament And i'm fine with. THAT i am fun at that end Of Skyler howard's career At West virginia not all that. Eventful In miami's, defense one of the secretly, underrated very very good units in college football this. Season they completely hold Down West virginia's.
Speaker 2: Offense Georgia tech thirty, Three kentucky eighteen in the Tax Slayer. Bowl we also Had utah twenty, Six indiana twenty four in The Foster Farms. Bowl Dan fox went with the studio on the field.
Speaker 1: Treatment here they. Did they, Listened it's all because of. Me not a great, game not a great game For, utah but they come out with the. Win you, Know indiana going through its. Changes they made this, close BUT i think it Was is It Marcus, williams their ridiculous, safety he's turning. Pro Troy williams has a Very Troy williams. Day doesn't do all that, much but our favorite, Retiree Joe, williams just Every williams possible doing things For utah And. Indiana moving, forward we'll. SEE i feel good about their defense moving. Forward i'd like to see a little bit more, offensively especially considering where they've, been especially on the.
Speaker 2: Ground New Era Pinstripe Bowl northwestern thirty, one pit twenty. Four nice game For Nate peterman thirteen of, eighteen two fifty three through the, Air really nice game on the ground For Northwesterns Justin Jackson dan he had two hundred and twenty some odd yards in this. Game an offensive, EXPLOSION a good game to. Watch northwestern gets the better of Pit.
Speaker 1: Yeah give him an, Inch she'll take a. Mile juste And jackson inconsistent over the course of the, year but When northwestern's running game is, working he goes. Crazy Quadri henderson a nice enough, day didn't probably get enough touches and uncharacteristic for Pitt. IS i mean their pass defense has been awful for a couple of years, Now they've been pretty good against the, run And northwestern had their way with The. Panthers So. Northwestern If clemson wins the national, championship we are talking double Transitive national championship tie in The Birmingham.
Speaker 2: Bowl this is actually a pretty good. Game, yeah my, Boy Quittin flowers FOR, usf lighting it. Up he had two sixty one through the, air one oh five on the, ground five total. TOUCHDOWNS usf. Wins they go eleven and two in overtime, Though, yeah needed. Overtime to do. It but forty six to thirty nine bit of a shootout here Over South carolina in a game that tightened up. Late a'll do credit To South carolina coming on, strong scored a couple times in the fourth quarter to level this one up and take it to.
Speaker 1: Ot, yeah, promising encouraging performance From Jake, bentley who had a huge. Day it's just impossible to win with five. Turnovers it is impossible to, win And South carolina almost made the impossible. Happen but, yeah your Boy Quintin flowers just continues to do work against a pretty Good South carolina. Defense an impressive way to finish out the. Season eleven wins is no, joke especially given WHERE usf has been these past couple of.
Speaker 2: Years and finally The Nova Home Loans Arizona. Bowl Air force forty, Five South alabama twenty One.
Speaker 1: Dan, yeah they fall down, early they came back a cap to a nice, year a very quiet ten win season For Air, force but impressive, Nonetheless all, right.
Speaker 2: Very, quickly pay more bills and we got to talk about some news coaching, changes and we'll get you out of, here maybe a little earlier than. Expected nice you ever hear A Texture dan.
Speaker 1: Always AND i like the way you say, It Texture.
Speaker 2: Texture so we're both going to be taking plane rides, NOW hm at the end of the. Week we're flying down To tampa On, friday going to be flying back home later On sunday evening after we do a bunch of interviews and put together some cool. Stuff this is a time of Year whe're not just DOING, i but a lot of people are. Traveling there's no way you're ever gonna cram all the magazines you like into a carry on. Bag now you can do it With. Texture it's an app that gives you unlimited access to two hundred plus. Magazines here is the way this. Works they go beyond just delivering the magazine. Itself they make it easy to find and enjoy all the articles you, want daily, recommendations exclusive interactive, features, videos much much. More it is. Searchable so, again if you try to stuff a magazine and a carry on bag and search that you can't type in. Keywords texture allows you to search and mark the stuff that you. Like you can even check out back issues, again bonus video. Stuff they can curate articles of magazines just for, you whoever you. Are texture will help you find whatever it is, is you might be Into why on earth what do you subscribe to a couple of magazines when you can have them all on your smartphone or, tablet all of them all the, time for way way. Less i'm asking you answer that. QUESTION i don't have a good.
Speaker 1: Answer you have to do this if you like, magazines if you like, features if you'll have a variety of, Interest texture is the only answer there.
Speaker 2: Is right, Now texture is going to offer you a fourteen day free. Trial fourteen days for, Free texture dot, com Slash solid fourteen days. Listen all these magazines are Available, People, Sports, Illustrator Entertainment, Weekly, Forbes Fast, Company, Rolling so there's a whole list of them. HERE i don't have time to get through all of, them but you can try it for free for fourteen. Days go To texture t E x T u R e dot, com Slash Solid.
Speaker 1: Dan there's a very good chance that if you're listening to this, show you are as dumb As tie AND i, are and are living in a cold weather place with fewer outdoor. Options you know you're staying, Inside grab some, coco start a, fire like not an arson type. Fire but, now don't do that don't do that and, uh get some texture in the.
Speaker 2: Life all. Right so we mentioned at the top of the show that there were some other news. Tidbits we, talked, yeah add nausey about the bowl, games, Right we talked about The Lane kiffin. Thing we talked about some guys that are declaring. Early we mentioned anecdotally About Tracy clay's Leaving. Minnesota what other odds and ends are there in and around the world of college football that we didn't, address all.
Speaker 1: Right so we have some big activity At Ohio. State so there's a rumor or a report That Kevin wilson's going to be the new offensive coordinator In, columbus which if he can put up more than zero points against a big name team in a bowl, game then certainly that's an. Improvement they also are Hiring Ryan, day who's a long Time Chip kelly guy who was At Boston college for a. While he has been with With Chip, KELLY i think At New hampshire and now with the forty Nine ers And. Eagles he is their new quarterbacks. Coach And Tim, beck who was running the offense for a house he goes With Tom herman to run the offense At texas Now Sterlin, gilbert who had come From tulsa To, texas is now Joining Charlie strong AT usf WITH i Think texas's offensive line Coach Matt Maddox Chip long tie me this offensive Coordinator dame putting up forty points a game in his first year With Mike norvel now in At Notre. Dame how do you feel about that. ADDITION i think it's a good.
Speaker 2: ADDITION i think he's a sound, recruiter which is going to help them in the absence Of Mike, denbrock who is a really good, recruiter and he now joins the staff over At. CINCINNATI i am curious to see how much play, calling if, any because it seems as If Brian kelly is pretty adamant about taking a more hands on approach on the.
Speaker 1: Offense is that a good? THING i don't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i Trust Brian kelly is an offensive play. Caller, well he called the games this, year, Right Mike denbrock was calling the plays this. Year he was Calling, okay so you Know Brian kelly call. PLAYS i think is ultimately a good. Thing but, again you wade into this uncomfortable territory of you've got a guy who's a head. Coach he's got numerous other things that demand his. Attention for him to also be calling the plays as he diluting himself a little, BIT i don't. KNOW i think it's a good move to Bring chip along.
Speaker 1: Aboard do you know Who Notre dame begins the season. With they begin it With. Temple and if you Think temple is not going to Be america's team In week, one new offensive or excuse, me new head Coach Jeff, Collins i'm all.
Speaker 2: In i'm thinking of a four letter word that rhymes with, duck BUT i don't THINK i could stay it on the.
Speaker 1: Air Temple georgia AT pc At Michigan state to open their four Game. September other Than Notre, dame we Have tennessee, Obviously mike to. Board he's going To. Indiana Mark, helfrich we mentioned that earlier has been In. Knoxville we'll. See it would be an interesting fit considering the talent that they bring. BACK i think he could succeed. There Troy, taylor the offensive coordinator At Eastern, washington who they've been succeeding in recent. YEARS i think he was only there this past. Year. Jake he Was Jake browning's former head coach in high. School he is now the offensive coordinator At utah After utah moves on From Aaron. Roderick Dennis erickson also retired for however many TIMES i don't, know with no.
Speaker 2: Fanfare by the, way not a lot of fanfare.
Speaker 1: Has had a weird fourth or fifth act WHATEVER. Ucla as we mentioned, Earlier Jed, fish who was the quarterbacks and receivers coach For, michigan is now moving out. West most of his, experience if not all of his, experiences is far east of The West, coast but should be an interesting what we presume to be final year For Josh rosen to see if that offense can get going with new. Leadership baylor And Matt lubick appeared to be an. Item Matt lubick was the receiver's coach For oregon last year and the offensive coordinator For, oregon and he had the receiver's job at Ole miss for like two weeks and NOW i think he is getting a coordinator job At baylor From matt. Rule oregon has hired a bunch of Assistants Jimmy doherty From michigan to coach, Receivers Dante, Plimpton, pimpleton excuse me at running. Back Charles, clark The colorado DB's, coach is going to be coaching. Corners Keith, hayward The louisville DB's, coach will be coaching safeties For. Oregon all sorts of good recruiters. There, anyway we mentioned The Bob diaco, thing, Right, yeah we mentioned The Bob diaco. Thing Randy edzel is slowly building his staff in Stores. MINNESOTA.
Speaker 2: Pj, Fleck maybe Maybe Chip, Kelly Charles, Ship, Kelly Craig Craig bull wouldn't be the worst. Hire And, FLORIDA i mean they's short a defensive. Coordinator Whi Jeff collins going To. Temple But Randy shannon was the interim D c for The gators Against iowa did a hell of a. Job there are times in, life more often than, not when being first puts you in the best position to. Succeed this may be one of those. Situations For, Minnesota we're being last to fire your coach may actually work in their. Favor.
Speaker 1: Yeh see where the dust, Settles see where the dust.
Speaker 2: SETTLES. Pj fleck didn't get a. GIG i don't think The Chip kelly thing's gonna, happen but, lord, no stranger things have. Happened Craig boll could be an interesting. Name there are a bunch of names that are still out there THAT i think would look at That minnesota. Job with a new stadium and certainly playing in a big time conference like The Big, ten they'd look at that job as an. Upgrade So i'm real curious to see which direction they take.
Speaker 1: That bull is definitely, older and there's some good coaches out in that Big sky region total, yes ranks and stuff like. That, YEAH i, Mean bull's, older and you, know it's sort of starting from scratch on a certain level With, minnesota if you're installing a very different kind of offense and. Culture, YEAH i think you're. RIGHT i think there's some interesting, names all.
Speaker 2: Right where are we at WITH nfl? Declarations glad you, Asked? Ty seems like there have been a lot of. Them so there have been a lot. Recently just stop me when anyone of these jumps out to you as worth noting or seeming weird or unexpected or making.
Speaker 1: Just too much. Sense, okay here we. Go Buddha Baker, Washington Katie, Cannon, Baylor Garon, conley the corner From Ohiose, State James, connor which again another person we hope makes a billion dollars in THE nfl and never gets. Hurt Dalvin cook At Florida state certainly ready Grad evans is a name that that's a WEIRD i looked at AND i was, like showed a lot of, promise would have benefited from another, Year BUT i don't think it's a particularly strong quarterback. Class so on that, LEVEL i GUESS i understand, It BUT i think he. COULD i think there were moments where he showed he was a little bit raw this year and could have.
Speaker 2: Improved he, could he could have a year Under Justin. Fluente Isaiah ford also the record Breaking Virginia tech. RECEIVER i think he was ready down to foreman For texas certainly doesn't have anything left to. Prove Leonard fournette, Obviously Wayne, Gallman Miles garrett Uh, Devon god's. Show great name the defensive lineman FOR, Lsu AND i did see. That, god what's THE lsu defensive? Lineman Christian lacotour is coming? Back so that's really nice for Ed.
Speaker 1: Orgron, yeah you Have Charles, harris who did a had a really nice career For missouri long their defensive. Line Malie, hooker your boy to be expected comes. Out Sidney, jones we Mentioned Brad. Kaya what do you feel About Brad kaya?
Speaker 2: COMING i think he should have waited another.
Speaker 1: YEAR i think so. Too next year is definitely gonna be a stronger class With Josh rosen and Possibly sam Dnal to.
Speaker 2: Say you don't know About Sam darnold either.
Speaker 1: Red shirt sophomore year next year and after which he will be. Eligible christian McCaffrey obviously he leaves, early and that makes sense considering the workload that he has had these past couple of. Years samaj P ryan makes. Sense Elijah qualls probably maximizing his own stock in the nfl. Ur Tavis scott has, already you, Know dabo has already come out and said that he intends to enter the Draft. Clemson Ricky Siel's joan the physical talent out wide for TEXT a AND. M i don't know that he fully ever reached his ceiling at TEXT a AND, m Though Sean watson not a surprise at. All T. J watt For wisconsin had an incredibly productive year for The. BADGERS i think that's the right right. Move Stanley Boom williams, UNDERRATED i think Underrated.
Speaker 2: Kentucky that he's not coming back.
Speaker 1: Does stink For. Kentucky Mike williams obviously considering the severity of his injury last. Year it's just it's tough to come back and play for free when you have the, talent you have the, ability and you have the. Opportunity And Joe, yerby who had had another quietly very good year For miami running, Back.
Speaker 2: So no huge surprises in. There the biggest to me Was Jrad evans that came.
Speaker 1: Out, Evans, yeah pretty big. Surprise some big names coming. Back Elijah hood had a you, KNOW i thought he should have probably had a better, Year BUT i don't think that's all on. Him Luke, fawk a lot of people thought he was going to be. Leaving he is coming back For. Wazoo good news for, YOU i. Think mike, McGlinchey, yeah, yeah coming, back says he's not ready to leave For Notre, dame fortifying an offensive line that you, know could probably use some more experience in Seasoning Mason. Rudolph it should be a nice year For Oklahoma state, OFFENSIVELY.
Speaker 2: I would think. So.
Speaker 1: Yeah and speaking of, Which Junkyard gym is coming.
Speaker 2: Back Junkyard.
Speaker 1: Gym that's what we, have.
Speaker 2: All, Right, Dan, well we are clocking in at about an hour and twenty minutes here chalk fullow info at least before some small edits here and. There so longer show than, usual but we had a lot of ground to. Cover, yes AS i mentioned, earlier we're going to be In. Tampa we're not going to be publishing a million shows while we're down. There we're also going to be talking to some other FOLKS tbd as of now as to who in fact they will, be but we're going to conduct some interviews that will like we did last, year we'll play them back throughout the course Of january And february And march And, april just to keep this train rolling all throughout the off.
Speaker 1: Season, yeah and pay Ten if you have not done it, yet you should like Our facebook page because we're gonna be doing live video on Both facebook and potentially YouTube From tampa with all sorts of our pals doing fun. Things the plan is to. Stream we're not gonna be DOING ncuba ninety, EIGHT i believe like we did for the semi final.
Speaker 2: Games this is my favorite idea.
Speaker 1: Ever so if you didn't catch, it we were streaming with the use in the assistance OF ncuba ninety, eight which is a long time ago Tie washington Versus Alabama washington. One, unfortunately and our sim was not. Accurate But Clemson Ohio state that was deadly. ACCURATE i believe it was twenty four to seven thirty one total. Points nailed. It clemson wins comfortably nailed. It so with that, said we're not going to be doing The National championship, game But ty AND i will be doing play by, play picture and picture play by play of The techmo Super Ver. Bowl so we are going to Use techmo super with some sort of mod to play the twenty Sixteen Oregon Team Real bad against the twenty Sixteen Notre Dame Team Real. Bad AND i would say pay. Attention like Our facebook, page we will tell you exactly when it is. Happening but we are going to have some fun with The Techmo.
Speaker 2: SUPERVERBAL i am pumped for.
Speaker 1: This it's gonna be. Great so, yes pay, attention hang out with. Us it's it's, free and you're probably not doing anything it's gross out where you are.
Speaker 2: There it is all, Right, well this is a fun. Show we appreciate everyone bearing with us a longer show this, evening but need to squeeze it all in before we depart For florida in a couple of. Days So, DAN i will talk to you in person On. FRIDAY i love.
Speaker 1: IT i Have do we have to wait around at the airport for? YOU i THINK i?
Speaker 2: Do you might have, to, Yeah, ah damn. It we'll figure this.
Speaker 1: Out but, yeah we are going to do a couple of mega shows and videos and it's gonna be a good. Time i'm looking forward to. It and we've got the live show in two weeks and In New.
Speaker 2: York. Yeah absolutely more on that to, come to say the, least for that guy over, There Dan, rubinstein for, Myself Tie, hildebrand thanks again for tuning. In we'll catch you all in a few. Days in the, meantime stay, solid, peace