Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle get this. I'm coming to over forty cities across the United States, the UK, Europe and Australia to do this here Therapy Gecko Podcast Live. These shows will involve bringing folks from the audience up on stage to talk to a gecko about whatever they want, just like we do on the podcast. The shows are completely unplanned, completely unpredictable, and they will be a lot of fun. So if you're a fan of the podcast, you should definitely come out. Tickets are available right now at therapy geckotour dot com and you should get them before they are sold out. That's therapy geckotour dot com. We'll put the link in the episode description as well. The live shows are are very fun, they're very geko wee, and I hope to see you there. All right, let's get into the episode. Hello, Hello, Hi, what's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How we doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing good? How are you?
Speaker 2: Oh good? This is Randy bo Bandy. How are you? Oh shit? I just said that.
Speaker 1: What What's what you said? What what's the matter?
Speaker 2: Oh no, nothing, I said, how are you? Twice?
Speaker 1: That's okay, that's okay. Randy bo Bandy Okay, So Randy bou Bandy, I have to say I saw you in the chat earlier and you said I apologize for my behavior. What yeah, yeah, yeah, what were you apologizing for?
Speaker 2: So I've been watching for for a couple of months, and uh no, I noticed, like, you know, I feel like there's a lot of people that lie, and I got hammered drunk last week and I was like, you know what, a lot of people got to stop lying, so I said in the chat, and it was like incredibly poorly timed, like it was after that crazy call last Monday.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you so you basically were in the chat like oh everyone here is lying.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, but I mean, I mean, but that's I mean, I actually called last week because I got a crazy story and I think you'd want to hear it, all right and hit me. All right. So when I was when I was fourteen, so I'm twenty four now, Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought you were like in your forties.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I just live in Maine. We all talk like this. Continue yeah, but uh so when I was fourteen, I was at boy Scout camp in New Hampshire and that's actually where I grew up. And uh I was. We were all camped out on top of this mountain and uh, the like the counselors that were with us got a call from the bottom of the mountain and they said there was a crazy storm coming in, and so we kind of weighed out our options in the campsite and and we decided instead of, you know, a bunch of kids being halfway down the mountain on a bald face, we were gonna like kind of try out our luck at the top of the mountain where we kind of had some cover. And we actually ended up getting struck by lightning. So so that was wild. So yeah, it was. I mean it wasn't direct it was indirectly, but it was like the ground got struck in a group of like twenty five kids, and so we were all like soaking wet in this thunderstorm. And then you add electricity into the mix and like, dude, I'm convinced, I like died for like a split second.
Speaker 1: Bro Okay, what was what was death?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Tell us please?
Speaker 2: I mean well, and and can I can I can I tell you one more thing. I wasn't sure of this until I got into a car accident in eighteen and I had the same experience happen to me where we slid off the road and we hit a telephone pole in a bronco in North Carolina when I was in the military, and I had the same I had the same experience happen where everything just kind of went purple and it kind of looked vainy, but it was It was crazy, and I didn't realize what had happened during the whole lightning thing, because I thought it was just like you get struck by lightning, and it's like, oh fuck, you got electrocuted, because like I went blind for a little bit and I got I went deaf for a little bit. It wasn't like crazy, it was like for a few minutes, and then it was it was like when I could see again, like all my muscles were contracted and it was nuts. And so, you know, all of us finally came to and we started doing our thing, and like all of us kind of realized this wee weird thing had happened, but none of us kind of talked about it. And then after this car accident, the same thing happened. And but after the car accident, I felt like I was kind of looking down at my body right, and because I looked down at the whole thing and it was after I saw this like purple, like veiny whatever. It was kind of like you know, you look at the inside of your eyeballs and you are like the insidey eyelids with your eyes closed, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's it's funny. Everything I've heard of, I've heard of everything going black, I've heard of seeing the light, but I have never heard of this purple before.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, it wasn't It wasn't like, you know, like a vivid purple. I would I would compare it to like you close your eyes and you like look at the sun.
Speaker 1: You know that's an orange.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I mean like.
Speaker 1: You death experience with my details.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, I'm I'm glad you're not like you know, all my friends, like all my friends that like talk to my parents are like, no, you're bullshit, And my parents are like, no, this kid actually got struck by lightning.
Speaker 2: And it's like my parents met me at the hospital. Don't worry. So is it is it.
Speaker 1: Not true that when you get struck by lightning that kind of means you can never get struck by it again? Is that is that that's.
Speaker 2: I mean, they they say that, but you know, you have to get struck by lightning once to get struck twice. You know, you know what I'm saying, you know, I guys.
Speaker 1: You I want to figure out what you mean by that you have to get struck by lightning once to get struck by lightning twice.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like a lot of catch. It's it's like, you know, it's like a catch twenty two. You know, you got to do something to move on, But you gotta but you can't move on until you do that thing or something like. You got to move on to do the thing to move on to begin with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know like that?
Speaker 2: Like that, I I feel like, you know, you're catching me at my ten o'clock ramblings here.
Speaker 1: But what I'm curious. What's your name again?
Speaker 2: Randy?
Speaker 1: Randy?
Speaker 2: All right, Randy, and that's my actual name. I like to get ham, you know. I you know, I used to be in the Marine Corps. I like to you know, I used to build ships. I used to operate heavy equipment. You know. I work hard, I play harder. You know, it's just the way I do.
Speaker 1: What's the rest of your life? Like what do you what? What's going on.
Speaker 2: With I am? I am? Yeah, I h I Actually I'm glad you asked. I've been I was watching your show, and uh, I mean I don't I don't mean to pollute your podcast with other podcasts, but your show, uh THEO Vaughn and Joe Rogan. You know, I I spend a lot of time by myself, you know. I live alone. I've you know, it's funny, you know, everyone all the girls want you when you're but you get out and you know better than the rest of them. Which it's a hard lesson to learn, but everyone's got to learn it, you know. And so you know, I spend a lot of time alone and single, and I work on myself, you know. And I used to be a loud mouth and I still am when I drink, obviously, but you know, you know, you take baby steps and you work on yourself. But I'm glad you asked, because no, I've been working on self improvement. And uh, you know, I stumble, I truly do. I stumble, you know, because we can all be perfect. But I applied to college just before Christmas. I got accepted to you Maine Augusta go moose. I mean, I don't really care for the moose, but I go for them and then and then yeah, so I'm I want to be a history teacher. Actually, I love history, you know, because there's there's a lot of lessons, a lot of important less sense to be learned from history because a lot of you know, a lot of people paid their blood to learn those lessons. And if we can learn from those lessons of the past, it prevents us from making those errors that you know that costs so dearly in the future.
Speaker 1: You know what, uh, what's what's an example of a lesson that you feel like we need to learn today to not repeat from history?
Speaker 2: You know, I can, do you mind if I step up on a soapbox or something real quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, man, we're in this far.
Speaker 2: Let's do it all right. So, I mean, if I'm if I were teaching history. You know, this is my personal and this is my personal goal, is to teach history, not in like a high school standpoint, because high schoolers have no respect. I know a lot of high schoolers are watching this, have no respect. They're like a lot of drunk people. But but you know, I'd like to teach college history. So I can be a college, you know, a tenured professor and eventually say, you know, history is brutal. Human civilization, human civilization is is the oddity from nature, you know. Through through violence is how we've we've found ourselves the security to be so civilized and be so soft and emotional. And you need to realize that you don't have it that hard compared to people in the past. You know, my grandparents grew up in Nova Scotia without power and running water in the nineteen thirties, you know, and my memme is still alive today. She saw a man walk on the moon and she grew up with oxen pulling carts. You know, that's I think that's I think that's absolutely wild. And another thing is, you know, if you understand history a lot more, you care a lot less about race, especially being an American, you know, because you know, my my my grandmother on my dad's side grew up in now he occupied Norway, you know, and she she was white. She had no privileges well, you know, and she came to and she came to you know, my Memmea and Pepe, my mother's parents. They they're French speaking Japan and I don't you know you want to go to France. I'll happily translate for you. I'm very cultured for a white guy.
Speaker 1: Well well, well, let me let me ask you a question, Randy, what yeah, what like? Is there a particular era of history that you you want to teach?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, is it the US or the world you want to learn about? That's the question?
Speaker 1: Whatever you want, man, all right?
Speaker 2: So, I mean, if I were to teach I mean as a whole twentieth century, the twentieth century, because you know, you see, you see a great change in the twentieth century. It went from only the poor people have horses and the rich people have cars, to the rich people of the poor people having cars. You see people walking on the ground without motor transport, to a guy going to the moon in sixty years. Dude, you know that stuff. But at the same time, you see multiple genocides and that, and there's a lot of lessons to be learned from that.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because I mean, when you really think about and I'm a guy, I don't know anything about it fucking anything, dude, But like, no, dude.
Speaker 2: You're the ghek dude. Hey, hey, honestly, Dude, I've been in a bad spot a lot of nights and dude, your stream, Dude, it does.
Speaker 1: Something, you know, Thanks Randy, I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Man, Hey, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Ghak Well, I got to say, it's a little bit scary to see. I mean, if you look at the how human history has changed, like on a line graph, it's like it's like a straight line for it. It's like it's like a horizontal line for pretty much ever and then the past like a few decades, it's the line goes straight up in terms of like our exponential growth. It's fucking terrified. I mean, even what I'm doing right now, Like this experience of talking to these people that I've never met before and I'm being watched by all these folks is like a not It's not even remotely a human experience that was anything accessible in the past, you know, I mean, so so so new. All this social media is crap, and I feel like it's it does turn people insane because we're we're not meant for it at all, or and you know, our brains are not logged up for that. Yeah, it's it's scary.
Speaker 2: I totally get that, dude, Just perfect example. Dude. This is my first time setting foot in a school in seven years. Dude. I graduated high school barely in twenty sixteen. I joined the Marine Corps. If they were like, hey, kid, let's go. And now I'm in college and I go, I see like I'm in person two days a week. I don't know how to fucking do this shit. Dude. It's like I feel like, I mean not to knock on any homeschool kids, but I'm gonna knock on some homeschool kids. I feel like, you know, I feel like everyone's as socialist, those weird homeschool kids. You know. It's like I and you want to talk about change. I mean, I don't mean to soak up the I don't mean to soak up the stream here, but you want to talk about change. I so my my my big deployment when I was in the Marine Corps. And all my friends, if they hear this, are gonna give me shit, just ragging on me. But but I deployed in twenty nineteen. In December, I said goodbye to my parents just before Christmas, and then we went, you know, across the Atlantic Ocean. I was an am tracker. If there's any you know, am trackers. Yeah, yeah, eighteen thirty three. Baby, But we went across the ocean right and we were at sea when COVID happened, and they told us we weren't going to touch land until we came back to America. And this was in February. This is in February. We came back to America in July.
Speaker 1: Holy shit. So you're on a boat for what.
Speaker 2: I was on. I was on a ship, Dude. I didn't see land for five months.
Speaker 1: Holy get just fishing.
Speaker 2: Oh so, dude, if you want it, dude, look it up on YouTube. It's called the raz and Ra as a resupply at sea. That ship is so cool. It's a cargo ship pulls up to you and they send zip lines over and they just send over stuff and they say you get your mail, but they send over like helicopters of you know, mail and stuff.
Speaker 1: But I mean, how at sea for five months.
Speaker 2: You go crazy? I'll be I'll be honest with you. You go, you go absolutely nuts, and you don't realize it until you get home. But dude, since I've been home, like I left, you know, I left, people were saying, you don't have safe, you know, no, You're sorry, you know, be safe, have a good Christmas, you know, all this shit. And I come back right and someone I went into a bar and someone said, where's your mask? I said, what the fuck are you talking about? Dude? Oh I was, I was.
Speaker 1: At this time, at this time, at this time, did you sway?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you were on the boat for five months. Do you have a phone or the internet?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's so I had. Yeah, I had a phone. But you know, when you're thousands of miles was so international waters at twelve miles, you don't get cell reception past that, and you know, when you're in the middle of the ocean, you're not getting cell reception from anything. And then you know, you know a fun story, my cell phone actually broke. I lent it to a you know buddy, and he broke it, probably watching porn or something. But nice, but but but yeah, So, I mean I had no real way to communicate with my family except for like a few laptops. But you have three hundred people on a ship. No one's talked to the family in five months, and there's three laptops. Yeah, no one's really going to talk to anyone, but you know, they'd print out the newspaper, but it was weird shit. You'd see like tens of thousands dead in New York City. Oh, they're filling trailers with bodies because they don't know what to do with them. And then at the same time you find out that a doctor lost his license to practice because he said, oh no, this guy didn't die of COVID, he died from a motorcycle accident. And it's like, oh, yeah, that's kind of questionable. You know, so you formed these weird and then at the same time we heard all about the George Floyd riots and stuff like that, or no, not the George Floyd, but all the others, all the other riots. So you know where we were all, you know, a bunch of crazy time. Yeah, black white, all sort of racist Americans, forming our own in different opinions on the topic. And you know, none of us really had a problem with each other. And you know, a lot of us came to the conclusion without talking to anyone who actually was the source of the problem that you know, people don't communicate with each other. You know, people don't talk to each other like the human beings.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about the vibe on, Like to that point, people don't talk to each other, People don't communicate with each other. Tell me more about the vibe on.
Speaker 2: For five months? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what like there's three hundred of you guys. What's the community?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How how is everyone interacting with each other?
Speaker 2: Talking about some all right, So with the marines, there were very few females, as you can imagine the sailors. You know, there's quite a few more women in the Navy than there are marines. To do with that information, which you will, you know, it's it, but you know, not in a creepy way. It's more is the you know, the feeling is more somewhere between high school at sea and prison at sea with the occasional with the occasional, Hey there's a boat, everybody run to the guns. But no, it's very boring. You know. You sit around and you smoke a lot of cigarettes, you play a lot of poker, You do some people, you know, you know, you know back on what you know. I said people were liars. You know, you find a it's very easy to pick out a liar, you know, when they tell the same story on a ship for five months and the details change. Uh, you know, it's very it's very easy to spot inconsistencies and stories when you hear nothing but live for six five, you know, five, six, seven months at a time.
Speaker 1: What do you feel like? What do you feel like you learned from that? Because you're this is such an interesting experience, like limited access to the internet, limited access to the outside world, literally isolated with three hundred other people, all three hundred of you guys, all coming from from different you know, spots and everything. Like what that's that's an experience that a lot of people have not had. What what do you feel like you learned from all that?
Speaker 2: Oh? I learned a lot of slang. Let me tell you. I can like I got I got buddies from la I got buddies from all over the country. You know that guy from Wisconsin earlier. You know, I got buddies from Stone in Wisconsin. I got buddies from New York. You know, you learn a lot of shit. You learn how to talk to people, like the people because you know, society in the military is not the same as society and normalst society. You know, sorry, how people act in the military is very similar to how people act in jail. You say the wrong ship to the wrong person, and they're going to fuck you up, you know, So you learn, you learn to carry yourself in a way where you show others respect and you make others respect you and will not make but you know you you make it so others want to respect you, because if if you want real respect, people mean to want to respect you. You know.
Speaker 1: And in your situation on that ship, what kinds of things do you feel like people would do to what What do you think commands respect in that environment?
Speaker 2: Honesty, m honesty, compassion. You know. I am not claiming to be perfect, but you know, I you know, I was in a vehicle crew, you know. And if you have you seen the movie Fury.
Speaker 1: I'm familiar with it, but I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: Or okay, so I mean I'm not going to say, oh, it's just like Fury. It's more like Kelly's Heroes if you've ever seen that with the with you know, Clint Eastwood and Donalds. It's a very good movie if you're into World War two, but it's actually about a heist. But anyway, no, you know, you live in a I was in an aav If you want to google that or if you ever play Battlefield three, it's that thing that looks like a tank that no one wants to use because it's not quite a tank, but at the end of the day, it's a tank, you know, so you live inside of it with you know, with your two other crewmen. I was a crew chief, so I sat in the turre and I had a driver and I had a rear crewman, and they were my family man, you know, because at the end of the day, when you're sleeping in a field or in the desert and you got no one with you, you got two guys in a big steel box and they'll hang out with you and they'll talk with you. And those folks that that's with you, and you know, they'll shoot anyone that tries to shoot you. And you know that, and you know what, you know what to answer your question, that's ah, I think I learned to appreciate people being with me more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, to that point, I want to say, to that point, I've been thinking about this more like, because you're on a ship with dudes. You didn't pick these guys. They're just like the guys that you're with. And I'm trying I'm trying to learn more. Like when I'm around people, like there's there's I think there's this thing when you're around folks, like you want them to be a certain way, or you wish somebody acted differently or something, but like just appreciating the folks around you exactly for who they are and just the fact that they are the folks around you right now. You know, say for anyone being like hostile or anything like that, Like, there are the folks around you. They're not perfect, they're not going to act exactly how you want them to, but they're Yeah, it's it's it's just exactly what you're saying, Like it's just an honor to be around people in general in this world.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, it's it's it's an honor to be around people. And yeah, you know what exactly because you know, I anyone who knows me will tell you that there is only one Randy, And uh, you know, I I think there's a I don't think people realize that there's only one to everyone. You know, if you say you're one in a million, there's you know, eight and a half thousand people just like you. But if you say you know, you're the only motherfucker on twitch TV. You're actually the person that made me get twitch TV. You're the only motherfucker that I would watch dressed as a gecko on my television in my living room right now. You know that. No, no, no, But I mean I don't If I wasn't watching you, I'd probably be watching like some YouTube video some dudes in Cambodia building some fake mud cave or some shit. I don't know, but but I mean, yeah, I appreciate you. You appreciate people for a lot more than just being a face, you know, and and you know when you're out there, you got time to reflect on life a lot because I I mean I was on I was on the scat team, which is like the small cal I ran into the gun when they said run to the gun. And when you go through like straight, it's incredible, though. You know, you go through like the Straits of Gibraltar, which is you know, the mouth of the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. You know, like Perseus sailed through that ship, Hercules sailed through that ship. Some of the greatest people in history have sailed through that. And I got to sail through that or go through the Suez Canal. I got I got to sail through Egypt, you know, or I got to go through the strait of horror moods, you know. And I mean, and I'm not touting that for like a respect that thing, but like, but like no one history, you know, I like history being my passion, you know, to get to see you know, I went into the Black Sea and I got to see, like I got to sail past I mean, granted it was during COVID times, so I mean it actually no, that kind of made it better because I got to see things like unimpeded by like stupid tourists. And granted I didn't see them as a tourist, but like, you know, people hate Americans because where there's just we're just a tourists of the world. But if you can see things as that, you know, objectively and not just being like hey, am I in the way right now? But you know, it was surreal to see a battlefield where so many people, you know, died. I mean not not being like, oh that's so cool, but like these these like the Australians went to fight in this battle because England said, hey, the Crown needs you guys, and you gotta go. And these guys had families. You know, these were sons, fathers, brothers, husbands, and you they they went.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like, does that inspire you in some way? Like this idea that these these guys, you know, they they try, they fighting for something greater than just themselves and their family. What does that do for you?
Speaker 2: I guess it's kind of I guess part of that's kind of the reason I joined because you know, I I so when I was in high school. You know, all my friends they're older brothers. Uh Oh. I grew up in southern New Hampshire, and southern New Hampshire is not a great place to live. You know. I grew up like like twenty minutes outside of Lowell, Massachusetts. If you know anything about that I grew up. Anyone from New Hampshire knows Manage Vegas and shit that it's dirty, it's gross. People work hard and they don't make a lot of money. So I wanted to leave man and and uh I wanted to go do something great. And you know when I was when I was a kid, I had this weird obsession with World War two. So when Band of Brothers caught my interest and all, you know, all that stuff, and you see these guys like fighting die with no care for they have no regard for their life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And but and at the end of it, and I and I found out why why no one? You know, it's because when you're in the military, when you're gone, all your friends ask when you when are you coming home, When are you coming home? When are you coming home? And you get home and none of them come see you.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And then and it was it was, and it's it's kind of sad. And then, you know, I mean ship, I had a fucking jeep wrangler. I had a I had a nineteen ninety nine jeep wrangler. Yeah, and I drove that from North Carolina to New Hampshire every chance I got, just to go see my friends, and none of them would come see me. I mean they would all fluff it up, be like I mean, actually, no, I can't say that my I got one. I got one. Buddy, Joey. He's been my He's been my fucking big dog. He's been my big dog since like first grade.
Speaker 1: What tell me about God, tell me about Joey? What's he? What's he like?
Speaker 2: Joe is my second brother, man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what's what do you What do you think makes you guys so close?
Speaker 2: H we we I mean ship? We lived life together, so I know you know what makes us so close? Tell me is we met? We met in first grade, the first day of first grade. And he he was born in North Carolina, so his parents were he grew up in a military family. And if he ever sees this, he's gonna beat my ass for spelling his ship. But I don't give a fuck. I'll smake his stupid face. But but but so he grew so he grew up in a military family. Yeah, and and so he moved. He moved to New Hampshire the summer before first grade. And so we met the first day at first grade. And my last name starts with an M and his last name starts with an L. So alphabetically, we just happened to sit next to each other. Yeah, and we just we we just hit it off. And then it just so happened. On the bus ride home, Joey is two streets up from mine, Holy ship. But now me and Joey, Me and Joey are hanging out. And you know, Joey's parents got divorced and he didn't have he he didn't have an easy life growing up. You know, Yeah, I I had it. I I like to think I had it hard, but I know, I don't. You know. We all go through our own ship. You know. I got, I mean, I mean, I got my own ship. I got a I got, I got, I got a lot of shit, you know. I And but but Joey had it hard. Joey had it hard earlier than I did, you know. And and it doesn't get easier. That's what everyone likes. That's what everyone sadly finds out is they get older, it doesn't get easier now.
Speaker 1: And did did that? Was that the case for you? You felt like it didn't. It didn't really get easier as you got older.
Speaker 2: My my life was pretty easy until I had about eleven years old, and then out of the blue, I started having like all these digestive problems. I got like really sick, Like I missed like forty five consecutive days of school. I was just a quke and I was really really sick. But anyway, back back on, Joey gakin not to not to back, but no, Joey's a Joey's a good dude, you know. And and if Joey didn't. Joey lived a hard life man, and his parents got divorced, and he didn't have a very stable home life at his mom's or his dad. And then for a while he had to he could only live with his mom because he couldn't live with his dad. And eventually he just started crashing to my house, you know, and we took him in, like I like, I took him in. He was my best friend, and just inherently my parents took him into and I got I got good parents, and I'm I'm I I'm not as thankful as I should be for my parents. You know.
Speaker 1: Are you still close with your parents?
Speaker 2: Not as close as I should be.
Speaker 1: Do they live in the same place as you?
Speaker 2: No? No, So I live in Maine. So I I you know, I joined the Marine Corps, I left New Hampshire. I came back, and then I came. As soon as I came back, I was quickly reminded of why I left a lot of it's a bad, bad heroin problem where I grew up a lot of heroin, a lot of coke. I mean, I mean, you know ship, you know, you grow up around it. You know, it's life, and uh yeah. So I was quickly reminded of why I left in the first place, and so I started fishing around for jobs and I was like, yeah, well I worked, so back on Joey. Joey hooked it up. Joey hooked it up as soon as I got so So Joey, Joey's like the ship dude. Like, Joey sent me mail on deployment. Joey's my only friend to send me mail undeployment. My parents and Joey sent me mail undeployment. Mhm, my parents and Joey. I got, I got a brother, my parents, and Joey sent me mail on deployment.
Speaker 1: So I want to go back to one thing real quick. Yeah, because you talk because the reason we were talking about Joey is because you were like, you know, the sad thing of it being in the military is that you go off.
Speaker 2: Oh, Joey was always there. Joey's Joey was always there. Yeah, I'm sorry. I don't mean to trail off. No no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: What what what? What I'm what I'm curious about is because you said that you go off into the military, everyone's like when you coming home and you get back and know what's hanging out with you. Do you feel like that experience kind of gave you the perspective of, like, oh, these people, even if it's just Joey and mom and dad, these are the true folks, you know. Did it give you more perspective on like, I know what is.
Speaker 2: I know who's real. I know who's real in my life. I know who's in my life. You know, I got, you know, my parents and my brother and Joey, who's my other brother at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I got.
Speaker 2: My parents and my siblings and the guys that were on that boat with me. H, that's it. That's it, because we're the only ones. I mean, because I mean, I can't. I don't even know why I feel like I can talk about this. I feel like it's because I know I'll never meet you, But I don't know if you if you ever come to New England, let me know, if you ever come to Maine. You got a spot in my house, dude.
Speaker 1: But uh, well, well tell me why do you feel like why do you feel like you never thought you could you could talk about any of this stuff with.
Speaker 2: My parents, I mean with Joey. It's different with Joe I mean Joey used to drive down to North Carolina. He used to. He used to drive down just to drive back with me. We used to just we used to just I mean ship.
Speaker 1: And I like Joey d he seems like a fun Joe.
Speaker 2: Joe Joey's a real fucking dude, you know. And Joe Joey's like, Joey's my best friend. Dude. If Joey died, I'd fucking shoot myself at his casket, dude, Like like like like, I dude, I dude, if anything, I I will, I will harvest someone's soul from their body. If to try and fuck with that, dude, like I I I dude, I will sky rim enchant, cross bow your ass. Dude, Like I don't give a ship, I don't give a fuck. You don't funk with Joey, But like, yeah, that dude, he's he's the realist person ever. And so he hooked it up with a job. When I got out and we were working, we were plowing snow together, and uh it was good. I mean ship, I mean deck. Did you grow up with a snow?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah I grew up with there was snow, so you know how it works, you know, you know, you know how it works. It's feast or famine with the plow drivers, you know. Yeah, yeah, so you know you get you know, fuck, dude, you get a storm. Dude, you're out in that truck for seventy two hours. You don't get out of the fucking driver's seat. You piss in a bottle, you eat McDonald's takeout, and you drop your blade on the pavement, you push that snow.
Speaker 1: Well, you were on a boat for five months, so I feel like a truck for seventy two hours. It's got to be nothing for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, time is time is irrelevant to me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shit, I've died twice. I know when it's kind of you know, it's not like I'm not scared of it anymore, you know all dude, honestly, it's I know this sounds crazy, but dude, after that car accident, I was so comfortable before I woke up. There's the disembodied voice that said, it can all be over you. But if it's, if you don't want it to be, you just wake up. Oh ya, wake up? And it was hard to wake up. It's like when you take ni quill and your alarms going off. But it's like, oh fuck.
Speaker 1: Now with the near death experience, it's funny you said. I feel like there's there's two kinds of things, like a near death experience could either make you more cautious and more like not afraid but careful the opposite. I can't die.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give a ship, and I mean, here's why too. You know, I know how, I know how it's gonna feel. Well. Shit, I don't fear death. I'm not a fan of pain, you know, I'm not. Pain isn't my favorite. I'm not scared of death. You know, it's crazy I do in the military. I didn't even almost die from anything cool. In a car accident and lightning. I mean, I guess lightning is pretty cool. But all my friends have heard it so much. The novelty is gone. I mean, I shit, I haven't even told my parents. I tell my mom this, and I see your eyes tear up and I get worried, so I don't even continue. I just say, oh, yeah, I'm just joking, and I stuff.
Speaker 1: But no, it's just.
Speaker 2: You know, death, That's what I tell my because I don't want her to worry about me. I have a lot of friends. I have a lot of friends that either oh dad or you know, self checkout. You know, yeah, yeah, but you know, but like I said, that's just that's just you know, his his the way things are. You got to take it in stride. Mm hmm. But uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Your friends that you let me ask you this, Your friends that like back from where you were, that that's self checked out or got addicted to drugs? What do you think think? What do you think led them to that?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know. I mean ship, there was there was one after after high school. His parents found him in his closet and I I don't know, I don't even know what led to that? Hm, why old me and him? He was like he was, he was I'm not going to say his name a case, you know, I don't out of respect. Yeah. Yeah. But when I was when I was sick back in like sixth grades, I was eleven. When I was sick, I missed a lot of school and a lot of kids made up a lot of rooms. The rumor mill is the rumor mill cuts you know that what.
Speaker 1: What what rumors did they make up about you?
Speaker 2: Dude? Dude? It was wild. It was wild. I was here, I was eleven years old. Dude. Kids were like, oh, he's got age, he's got herpes. I meanwhile, I don't. I don't even you know, you know, fuck, anyone who's got a cold sore in those herpes isn't going to make you sick for forty five days. But ship, I mean not. But but at the same time, the rumor mill wasn't even nice to me, Like I mean, destruck by lightning thing as a testament to my luck in that regard, But like, the rumor mill wasn't even nice to me because like there were like, no like hot girls coming up to me. Rady, are you okay? Do you have cancer? Oh my god, you'll kid. No, you couldn't.
Speaker 1: You couldn't even milk. You couldn't even milk the fake cancer that everyone thought you had.
Speaker 2: No. I couldn't even I couldn't even milk the fake leukemia. You know, I couldn't even do that. No, it was like, well, Randy, we heard you like throw up a lot. What's that about.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: My stomach produces too much acid.
Speaker 1: So so okay, So so before we go to the president, So yeah, to the president. Well, what were you gonna say just now?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, so but but the one of my one of my friends.
Speaker 1: That yeah, you're talking about.
Speaker 2: He was one of the few kids other than Joey who who you know, didn't buy into the room though. Mmm, I mean, I mean ship. You remember when like World that Wore zombies was a thing, right, me and Joey, Me and me and Joey were cutting it up on the rock back in like the No, dude, we were doing it, bro, we were doing things different Joey. Joey's a fucking real one, bro. But but and then, but my I got another buddy. I won't say his name, but I will say his uh. I guess you know his his uh his Mark Twain if you will. His pen name was blog, you know, and all the boys loved blog. Blog had a blog, had a van and dude. So we used to have these wild Halloween parties, you know, and it was it was we used to go. They were nuts. I mean it was they were irresponsibly dangerous Halloween parties. Damn near Project ex style Halloween parties. I was like, I mean, did you grow up where there's a lot of drugs?
Speaker 1: No, like like I mean like pot and shit.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, I mean like yeah, so I mean like I mean pot, I mean, you know, smoking weed. You know, that was that was normal. That was normal for like a twelve year old where I grew up to be like, oh, yeah, you want something, you want to buy something.
Speaker 1: But what but what was what was so crazy about these Halloween parties?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: The Halloween parties? All right? So dude, no, it was like so, I mean, I don't even care if this motherfucker finds out. I'll clap his ass if he shows up. But uh, Dean Sheen. There was one party. Dean Sheen, this guy, I don't even know what happened. He's like, he's like, uh, I think I think he just faded into Dustin Thanos snapped or some shit. But Dean Sheen, dude, so I was at when was this two thousand and fourteen Halloween twenty fourteen. I showed up dressed as a banana and at this party and his big field. If anyone grew up in New England, you know how basement parties work, in field party and woods parties, well this is like, you know, anyone who grew up in like those weird like drug infested rural towns understands, you know, basement parties and shit. So it was one of those weird like you know, everyone's gonna show up. We're gonna just drink crazy amounts of alcohol. We're gonna have an unreasonably large fire. A couch might go in it, who knows. But you just do a lot of drugs. Yeah, you just dude, like fuck.
Speaker 1: So it happened with Dean Sheen.
Speaker 2: So Dean Sheen showed up out of the woods one night, like out of the fucking woods. Dude rolls like, we're all sitting by this fire, and you know, we're pretty faded. It's like twelve thirty one o'clock in the one, yes, and we're all sitting by the fire. Dude, we're feeling pretty faded. Right. We hear this like cracks stumble shit in the woods and then everyone's like, oh shit, who's got a gun? It might I mean, I grew up in New Hampshire. It might be a bear. It might be a moose. And it's Halloween, so it's the rut. So like a moose, it might kill a group of teenagers. You know, he's he's he's swerved up on Josequerevon and Horny. He's ready to go. So Dean Sheen comes rolling out of the woods instead of you know, and he goes, yo, well suck and we go Dean, what the fuck are you doing here? And he goes, I don't know. I kind of just came here from Londonderry. And we said, Dean, U, yeah, Londonderry's the other way and he goes, oh fuck, Well, anyway, anyone want.
Speaker 4: To buy acid?
Speaker 2: And and like four dues just got up and started dropping tabs assid.
Speaker 4: With Dean Sheen in a tent.
Speaker 2: It's like, we're just wild shit would be happening at these parties, dude, And like you can't even like you can't even fathom it, dude first, like I did. So anyway, so b Log is at this party and he had this like old like Dodge van, the kind of like the French doors in the back and he had shag carpet on the inside with a futon and we called it the slam Van, and dude, the slam Van, dude, it was just a vibe. Dude. It had like we'd dam out like Aerosmith and led Zeppelin and ship dude and we'd just vibe and smoke and chill. And then uh, one Halloween, it was another Halloween party, my grandfather died actually, and I told my parents and I was like, hey, I'm going to go to this party. My mom like looked at me, and my mom's cool. My mom, my mom gets it. And she was like, hey, dude, you need to do call me if you need to come home.
Speaker 1: And it's a good mom, all right, good mom.
Speaker 2: My mom's a fucking gangster. Dude, My mom's my mom's the ship. But anyway, so me and Blog, you know, we'd it was me, Blog, a few other dudes. There was probably seven of us and we'd chill. Dude, we'd smoke. But but you know, my grandfather died and he was like my hero. You know. He was in the Army during the fifties and he got out and he started his own construction company and and he lived a hard life. Yeah, and and you know when when he died, you know, my friends were all there and well, I mean they weren't there when he died, but they were there for me.
Speaker 1: They were there for you. I feel like you have but you have a good cat. Like I'll say this Randy. You have a good cast like you b Log, Dean Sheen and Joey. Good guy. I would definitely hang out with.
Speaker 2: You guys and do people people? Do you want to know how crazy my life is?
Speaker 1: I have an idea of how crazy, yeah, people are.
Speaker 2: People are more apt to believe a lie about my life than the truth. But crazy crazy ship.
Speaker 1: Well so anyway, so so, so listen Randy before we go.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't need to soak up all that time. I mean, I oh no, it was no.
Speaker 1: I gladly, gladly uh been marinating in it all. It's been really fun talking to you for all this time. Man, I appreciate you sharing all this time.
Speaker 2: Dude. I'm so glad. I'm so glad you I finally got on the call. Dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we we went all over the place with this. I feel like we know a lot about It's very funny you said that that people are more inclined to believe lies about your life than the truth. I feel like we've gotten a good perspective on you, and you know, look, I want to just before we go.
Speaker 2: Here, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, give me give.
Speaker 1: Me uh briefly like your hope for the future.
Speaker 2: My hopes for the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, I mean I hope I've become a teacher. I hope I don't get bored with being a teacher. I mean, when I was little, I wanted to be a farmer. So I hope I hope one day I can get old and be a farmer and just be left alone. Well, I hope everyone in the chat though, I mean, hey, listen, just because just because that line says it's dude, don't don't just say, hey, the one's busted. Wait your turn call again like everyone else has. Just relax.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, well, Randy, let me say this, whether or not you get bored of being a teacher, I very much doubt that your students will get bored of you.
Speaker 2: Hey, I appreciate that, Gek.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 2: No, that's really it. I'm just hey, I'm just glad. I'm just glad I could talk to you. Dude. Hey, I hope everyone here has a great night. Dude. That's it.
Speaker 1: You take care, Randy, Thanks for calling, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah you too, Gek.
Speaker 1: That was that was That was a good h that was a good call. I feel like that was a good cast of characters. We got fucking Dean Sheen. You know, at first I was like, oh no, he docks Dean Sheen. But we're look, we're not going to find Dean Sheen. There's no way that's his real name. I don't he's not on Facebook. We're not finding Dean Sheen. And if you do find Dean she give him my number. I'd love to talk to him. Dean Sheen, Joey d Log. What an honor would be it? A hop on hop on world at war zombies with those guys and pretend like I'm in fifth grade again. Thanks for calling, Randy.
Speaker 4: Call from Jackson Dean, Hello, Hello, how are you.
Speaker 2: Doing good?
Speaker 1: How about you doing all right? What's going on with you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Just doing some reading, listening to the stream.
Speaker 1: What are you? What are you reading?
Speaker 4: It's a it's a paper about timber driven piles.
Speaker 1: Paper about timber driven piles, well.
Speaker 4: Driven timber piles. It's for a foundation support that I'm doing for a building.
Speaker 1: You sound like a You sound like an adult.
Speaker 4: I don't think I'm an adult man, I'm only twenty four.
Speaker 1: You that you you the way, reading a paper about timber support for a building that you're working on is is the most adult thing I can think to do.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this kind of leads into what I'm calling it about because I'm in a situation where I have my dream job and I love what I do. I have fun every single day, except for it puts me in a bit of a moral dilemma because in my job, I kind of take part in destroying the environment. And I'm just like, not for that?
Speaker 1: Is it? Because you cut down trees to make buildings.
Speaker 4: Essentially, I mean not directly, but I'm involved with the planning of like subdivisions and.
Speaker 2: Buildings.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so you uh are you? You feel as though your job actively destroys the environments.
Speaker 4: Right, But I'm big on protecting the environment, and I feel like I try and do my part to offset the bad that I've done. But I'm like, when I work on projects, I just feel bad at the end of the day about what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: So you have your dream job, but you feel bad about doing it?
Speaker 4: Well, Okay, So I went to school to study asphalt as like my first like that was that was like my passion in college and I got a job out of college designing roadways and other asphalt associated infrastructure. It soose like perfectly in line with what I wanted to do, except for as part of doing that, part of my job also is in the development business, I suppose.
Speaker 1: M hmm, what what do you develop?
Speaker 4: I so I'm a civil engineer, so basically just residential and commercial structures.
Speaker 1: Mm hm m m. All right, well you sound like an adults. You you you destroy the environment like an adults. Adults do that more than children do.
Speaker 4: True, true, the environment.
Speaker 1: What here's my thing that what is so great about the environments that we need to not destroy it.
Speaker 4: So pretty? That's the biggest thing. Is like when I go out to these sites and it's like five hundred acres of beautiful forests, and I know that it's just going to be turned into two thousand houses in the next five years, Like it just it doesn't feel.
Speaker 1: Good, all right, Well, I mean people got to live somewhere, right, or are are these like? Are are these like just like super nice like rich people's like second houses type vibes?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 4: Honestly, man, it's all just real estate investors who are building like town homes and so it's not even like like if it was like single family homes, like that'd be okay, But this is just like income generation for people who are already wealthy.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm only saying this because I'm an idiot gecko.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: It doesn't know anything about how the universe works. And look, I'm sorry to piss off gret Thunberg, but it seems as though it is humanity's destiny to destroy the environment and then get and then die and get fucked. You know, if that was God's plan, then so so beia. We destroy the trees and the air, and we kill ourselves and then some then some, you know, billions of years later, something else comes up. You know, there's those dogs will still be running around and squirrels and bacteria and ship. Well, well, the Earth will be fine without it, right because the Earth. Again, this is coming from a guy in a gecko costa, the Earth created humanity, and so it really the Earth fucked itself in a sense. I don't know how scientific any.
Speaker 4: Of that was, but no, I mean, like everything kind of destroys its surroundings in like one way or another.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, but that's the nihilist, that's the nihilistic approach. That's that's the easy way out, which I you know, prefer.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you want to save me, I mean, do you cow? What do you care?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's my obligation to care. But then again, like I also do care?
Speaker 1: All right, that's good. Well, I then I then I don't know. I mean, what else can you do?
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I don't really know if there's a solution here. I just felt like I had to tell somebody because I feel like if I tell other people, they just will accuse me of not or I don't know. I just felt like I had to tell somebody who wasn't involved directly in my life.
Speaker 1: Oh, you think they'll tell you that you're an asshole.
Speaker 4: I think they'll tell me I shouldn't have pursued the career that I did. If I'm going to feel like this.
Speaker 1: Well I that's, by the way, a legiti, that's a legitimate thing to tell you. I mean, if you feel horrible every day, I don't know if that's a great way to live.
Speaker 4: Well, but I have yeah, yeah, but I have fun every day? Is the problem?
Speaker 2: You have?
Speaker 1: You have fun?
Speaker 2: Feeling?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What's making you have so much fun.
Speaker 4: It's just like challenging work in a in a way like try Like, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It is a challenge. It is a challenge to cut down that many trees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. You got to be efficient cutting down trees, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what what else are you going to do? What else do you? Is there any can you do anything else? What do you what are the what are the alternatives?
Speaker 4: Well, so, like, part of the reason I got into asphalt in the first place was because asphalt is the most recycled component in construction in the world. It's more asphalt is reused every year than is created, And so I got I got into it for the purpose of trying to preserve our footprint on humanity and trying not to, you know, worsen the effect that we've already done. But I've kind of sidestepped my way into this.
Speaker 1: Position, dude, because why do you just become an accountant or something? Why you seem distressed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can never become an accountant, though. I don't know how those people do it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Probably they destroy the environment too. They use a lot of paper.
Speaker 4: I think most of the things are emails nowadays, Oh.
Speaker 1: I become Listen, clearly you have some sort of desire to fuck up trees and stuff, so you could become like a paper accountant.
Speaker 4: That could be your niche I did used to do lumber jack sports in college, and so I got a I got a knack for chopping down trees.
Speaker 1: Okay, was this helpful at all?
Speaker 4: I feel like it was good for me just to rant.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't really looking for a solution. I'm just looking to looking at a rant at somebody.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah it helps.
Speaker 1: Hey, look enjoy I mean, and go out into the forest and look at enjoy it while it lasts. That's all. That's that's the that's the maximum amount of time you could enjoy anything for. So I go out into the forest, look at the trees, and then when it comes time to destroy everything and die, then just in your heart, be like, all right, this was destiny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take take it, Take it in while it's still there, before it all gets turned into something visions.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we.
Speaker 4: Go, No, I appreciate the stream and keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Hey, I appreciate you man. Take care later. Ah, I don't know anything about the universe, but I'm trying.
Speaker 3: Never Beacon goes on the line, taking your phone calls every night.
Speaker 2: Never Beacon goes.
Speaker 4: Doing his eye.
Speaker 2: He's teaching you Cloud on your line. Monday's not friendly, an expert