Speaker 1: Native lamppod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: So I think that we're going to utilize as mini pod as a time to get some feedback from listeners and viewers. I mean, we're a quarter in. We had our quarterly chat with the team. Actually the team was just me, Andrew and Angela last week, Nick, go on mute please yeah he Nick, Nick.
Speaker 3: I have a condition. I just looked this up.
Speaker 1: I actually do really have more than we have more than one condition.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm here for you. So one of the things we want to talk about is we want to do a wellness check of everybody who's here and present the host of the show. I wish Tiffany was here so she can do a wellness check with us and check her posts and temperature on everything she's doing. And then we wanted to see what you guys like or don't like. We've been experimenting with guest hosts. If you have a guest host that you like a lot, that you want Angela to sign a Reason Choice, you need to put that in the comments. Or if there's somebody you want us to add to the show or if you just want to hit a three of us just kind of we carry each other. We carry each other in fascinating ways. Apparently Andrew is the brother I never wanted.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I'm the big brother, the big brother that Bakari just doesn't want to listen to.
Speaker 2: He's gonna pull his hair out before he has to listen.
Speaker 1: I listen to you. I just don't want you to know that I listened to you.
Speaker 2: There goes, he's my brother, Marcus shout out to you.
Speaker 1: That I tell everybody who will listen that I have uh a humility deficit. I know that I'm self aware.
Speaker 3: To I don't think anybody needed to be told that I was going to I.
Speaker 1: Was a comma so that I was gonna I was gonna say though, However, in this game of politics, there's only one person who I would consider to be more talented than I and that and I've always.
Speaker 5: Said that he is more talented than you.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm getting better though by the day.
Speaker 3: So uh, oh my god, Andrew. So here comes a compliment and it's coming.
Speaker 5: But you know what's soap about you guys? You guys are are different. I wouldn't say Andrews more talented than you. He is talented in a different way. And that is why you all compliment each other.
Speaker 2: It's not even put the phone.
Speaker 3: Down so you can hear the freaking compliment.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not giving him a compliment.
Speaker 4: Not today, No, no, not any day.
Speaker 2: I'm joking.
Speaker 4: I see people think I have at least I'm told I have heat.
Speaker 1: For it was considered uncomfortable banter.
Speaker 4: A brother that I will take any day a week, and in so many ways he actually does remind me of my brother Marcus, because Marcus is actually the most self assured man I knew up until Bakari, and given what gets doled out for us and our community, all of us, we could stand to have more men, black men and women standing up more self assured without the need of validation and confirmation every second of the day from the world that if you don't, as past us says, if you can't clap, I'll clap for myself. But that's a we know that a part of that is a veneer because we're being honest.
Speaker 2: We're coming off of a very honest show around how it.
Speaker 4: Is that we have expectations of how folks have to show up, so we know. A part of that is the veneer, but also a part of that is is that they've been loved on and supported and held up. Weighs good, bad, big and small. That lets the world know that I love you and there's nothing you can do about it, you know. And I love that that you know that we can say that for each other and mean it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's it. That's the closest you get to a compliment today.
Speaker 1: I was trying to find the compliment. I thought it was coming.
Speaker 2: Nope, it's not. That's the closest we getting today.
Speaker 1: So what are you doing? Angela asked a question, what are you doing to take care of Andrew Gillen?
Speaker 4: You know what, I'm running ragged behind our kids and as raggedy as it runs us. And I know you know this, but Uber driver, that's I'm a bus driver. You got, uber, I'm a bus driver. I got three kids, plus their friends and and teammates being being run around. But I have to tell you it's exhausting. But I wouldn't be another place in the world.
Speaker 1: If I couldn't answer my question.
Speaker 4: This is this is this is the answer, which is as exhausting as it is living in service to trying to make other little people good big people. I couldn't think of anything better I would want to do right now than to have that role. And what I want to do for myself, and that's like just for me, just for me, just for me, is say no to some of the things that I don't say no.
Speaker 1: I got to learn how to say now. I think that Angela and Andrew do not do a great job of being selfish. I think that you guys suck at that. I think that y'all have to learn how to say no to people. I think that you got to create more space for yourselves. I think that you have to be intentional about Andrew and Angela. And that's what I just learned that. So that's one of the things my therapist told me about. So I'm trying.
Speaker 4: I love it. I think that you know one selfish thing I does. I oversleep anytime we have to travel for oh my god, if my kids do not come in the room to wake me up, I will sleep.
Speaker 1: I am gonna se and apparently will sleep too the whole show back there.
Speaker 5: I want to tell these people how Andrew will have us on high alert wellness checks thinking, well me my anxieties to her for this, I am like what And then you know my dad is in the hospital. My g like get up and answer a phone, answer the room phone, answer your work phone, answer your regular phone, answer a door.
Speaker 2: I'll get the door. If I hear I'll answer all those things.
Speaker 5: But they bang on the door, like five, go knock on the door with the cell phone.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 1: I can't sleep at seven o'clock. I'm up every morning. And then I used to sell my kids on the way to school. I just can't. Guy. I feel because I feel like I'm gone too much and that that drives me crazy, even though I'm gone as much as I don't leave for leisure as much as required. And I hate that, and so I always it's like my heart wakes up because I don't I actually I haven't. I probably have not slept six continuous hours. And because I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember either. I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: I normally I'm assuming that's not healthy.
Speaker 2: It's not healthy.
Speaker 5: And by the way, no, it depends on your body type. It depends on your body at all. No, I slept for seven hours yesterday.
Speaker 1: Good friend, that's really good.
Speaker 5: But yes, I woke up tired. So today I did about five and I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 1: Well that that's a study that says that your brain is delusional and they say that when you get less than seven, then you operate thinking that you're functional and you're not. I'll send you to study if you get it.
Speaker 4: I want to see it because I can get you can go up and act like you are on Buddy Rabbits, but if you get four, you're going to be a daze. Anything between four and under and under eight you're like, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're.
Speaker 5: I just all I can tell you. There's I will find it. But there's something that talks about the different body types. There's some folks at need like nine or ten. And then it just I don't know, I think. And then there are times where I can take like a twenty minute nap or something and I'm good. But I just got to tell you this season of life. I remember reading something from Michelle Obama talking about she had to be selfish in the morning and get like her one you know, hour workout in she would watch Barack Obama like leave the house and he would just do his workout and She's like who told him he could do that. Like, that's not fair, right, and so she said she stopped asking for permission and show she started doing hers at like four or five in the morning, but while she still had her time, and recently it was just, you know, just a few weeks ago, I just was like, I need to find my thing, Like my selfish time is going to be my bath.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna.
Speaker 5: Sit there until I can't sit there anymore. I'ma I'm gonna find my workout time. I'm gonna do something for my physical body every single day because I can't even be of service to my parents.
Speaker 3: When she first said it, I was like, why can't she just go? And I didn't know I didn't have kids.
Speaker 5: Then I still, you know, don't have birth children, but I have a lot of kids I care for, and then my parents, and so now I'm like, oh, I have to be very calculated and rigid even about routine, or it won't come. I can be like, well, I'll just do it later, and that later will never come. So I will say, but Cary, I'm a little more selfish than you think. My mom is an acupuncture right now, I'll be right on the table next to her. Okay, my dad, I'm making him do it now so we can regulate this hard situation. I go to therapy. I do not miss my therapy appointment. Shout out to doctor Tamabrian. Yes, she is amazing.
Speaker 1: But I'm alive.
Speaker 5: That's not true. You're just lying. I actually have been in therapy. Oh I thought he said my no, he I think he is. He's disrespectful.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 5: Michael Bacari Jordan would number, but I think there's that. There's all types of healing modalities that I fully for black folks, somatic therapy, breath work like well, you guys, I can't remember if I told you all this or not, but when my dad was in the emergency room last time, his blood pressure that top number except meta.
Speaker 1: If you meditated, did breath work, it came down.
Speaker 5: Right, nine minutes nine minutes of meditation and it came down forty points. And so even if you just have to find your breath during the day, y'all, find your breath and breathe in, you know, slow for for seconds, breathe out for six and just do that. Just pause, look around you, look at the beauty around you. I promise you. It's Gary said on our last show, like things might be bad, but you just want to make sure you wake up every day to see another day. It's not promised. And so I think that we can't take any moment for granted. I think that is a type of self care, being grateful and yeah, go shopping if you can.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm in hot yoga right now, y'all. Y'all don't know. You know, people people laugh at me when I talk to him about hot yoga. I go to hot yoga studio Fire in Columbia and people are like, oh, man, you just go because there's a bunch of college girls in there. I'm like, you don't even see them. You are trying to survive. You were about to die in there.
Speaker 2: This is why I don't do you hot. I did that yoga a few times.
Speaker 3: Did you get ahead? Aa?
Speaker 1: No, I was.
Speaker 2: Slipping and sliding all over.
Speaker 1: I got the grippy socks for you.
Speaker 2: Different matter. I came undone.
Speaker 1: Six thirty. Tomorrow morning, I will be I will be in fire flow to doing positions I cannot do, looking like a baby deer.
Speaker 2: I told you, Marcus, this is what Marcus does in Chicago.
Speaker 1: But I'm in there, just my legs shaking, my stork. My stork is good, but uh, my warrior, my warrior Warrior three or whatever it's called. And i'd be in that struggle. And then I almost passed out in one of them last Sunday because I got up too fast. They tell you, they tell you to roll, they roll over to you, and I did. I did the happy baby and call myself rolling up almost fell out.
Speaker 4: If you haven't done it, this is what I love and this is a this is a treat when I can do it?
Speaker 2: Is this just you go to messus, but all you do is stress.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've done that.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I've never felt like so your body just feels yeah because you didn't even know you needed to do that there? And could I do that by myself.
Speaker 1: I've been doing pilates too, that's a good one. Yeah, I've been doing a lot of pilates. So my hip, my hips are bad, and so I've been doing plates. And let me just tell you about pilates. Man Ellen is enjoying my pilates.
Speaker 4: I am going to I am looser, go ahead and get us ready to close out.
Speaker 1: I didn't even catch Ellen gives me.
Speaker 2: I come back home from PG from Pilates.
Speaker 5: Maybe well, speaking of PG thirteen, I do want to tell y'all this last thing when my dad was getting told about this vertibal artery stint that.
Speaker 1: What can you tell me? Because you said it you put in the chat, I don't know what is that if you don't mind me.
Speaker 5: Basically, my dad has been having these dizzy spells and dry heaving, and so they thought that it was related to blood flow to the brain and he was getting ready to have a stroke. So he has his left vertebral artery, which is the artery that pumps blood to your brain from the back of your necks to right here for those that can see at home, is completely closed, and then his right one had some blockage as well. So they went in to try to do this stint procedure and they couldn't because again the left was completely closed and the right was too small.
Speaker 3: But they said his blood flow is really good.
Speaker 5: The challenges are more heart related, so Papa Rye's got some changes to make around cholesterol on the diet working out. Apparently pacing, even when you're nervous and anxious, does not count for your steps to the day because the intention is not to make your body feel better, so you have to do something different. And then blood pressure you have to regulate and lower the blood pressure point is you guys, When we were getting reefed on what the procedure was going to be, they told him that they would have to go in through through the groin. So my dad, you know, waits a little while and he looks at the doctor and he said.
Speaker 3: So, why you gotta go through my nuts? Sir?
Speaker 5: They're not gonna go through your nuts. They're gonna go through he said, We're going through. Sure, it's a it's a G procedure, So rated G procedure. We're going to the top of your thigh. But I just want y'all to know that Poppa Rye is crazy at all times.
Speaker 4: I love that through my nuts.
Speaker 3: They didn't. They was never going through his nuts.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: This is worse than ever.
Speaker 1: What are you talking?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you later.
Speaker 4: I know what the doctor is talking about where they go through the thigh area.
Speaker 2: I know what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: But it's the upper thigh. Yeah, I know exactly where what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: It's not the nuts.
Speaker 4: I know exactly what he's talking about and the car and I will discuss it later.
Speaker 3: You have to get a RD.
Speaker 2: We will fill you in appropriate.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, I don't know what just happened, guys. Sorry, blame paper Rye.
Speaker 1: Yes, we love Poparae. All right. Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home, Welcome home.
Speaker 5: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.