Speaker 1: It's nine O Gen one with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: This is so exciting. Do you know how who.
Speaker 1: We have on the show today.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: It's it's a pretty great day. It really is.
Speaker 4: Courtney Thorne Smith, Daphne Suniga, and Laura Layton Melrose Place.
Speaker 1: All three of the Ladies of the Place are here today.
Speaker 5: Both are responsible for the fact that Melrose Place even exists.
Speaker 2: I don't seek it's it's all us.
Speaker 5: Don't tell them that nobout you there would be no Melrose.
Speaker 2: They would find some way to make it happen. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: But we were happy to visit Melrose Place, but we're even happier to have them visit OMG Ladies.
Speaker 4: Their new podcasts Still the Place.
Speaker 2: Podcasts listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Wait, can I just say this is literally as a fan like the Dream collaboration right now, Like it's almost like I'm glitching because we have Tory, Jenny, Daphney, Laura Courtney, Like my college years are like my brain is freaking out right now because I spent my entire college years and Tory and Jenny know this in a TV room and my sorority. Like literally the size of the room I'm in with thirty five girls packed in two straight hours, nine oh two one zero Melrose Place, and like I don't even think we drank water, like we might have got some popcorn, but like just were hooked. So for my college self, I thank you all.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love that. What a fan she is, don't you guys?
Speaker 6: Like it really makes the job and makes doing this really an added umph, you know what I mean, Like when someone comes in and they're like you, Amy, it really does.
Speaker 4: It makes it look so Jen and I always talk about it, and you guys, I'm sure will know. There's a difference between oh yeah I watched the show. Yeah yeah, I know who you guys are. Between that and like a super fan. There's a look in their eyes. Correct, yes, yeah, it's crazy crazy. No, it's just like invested like family.
Speaker 1: To Amy's defense, she has that look with a lot of different people. It's not just us, you guys, so don't flatter yourselves too much. She's very enthusiastic about every jealous.
Speaker 2: Why are you smiling so much?
Speaker 5: Because I love television? She does, like, I love watching television and I've loved it since I was a kid, and this was like the height of that for me. It was something that brought all of us together to and it was juicy and it was fun and it was like it was water cooler. Like that's such an old timey saying now, but like we all talked about what was happening on both your shows all the time.
Speaker 4: And everybody each other.
Speaker 3: We won't remember that.
Speaker 5: But did you guys at the time know how, Like were you aware of how huge nine O two one oh was and that you were coming off of that show as a spinoff?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 6: I remember being I remember randomly being in Paris or something and seeing postcards and pictures everywhere of nine O two one oh, Because I feel like as big as our show's nine O two one oh, we're talking about art, we're here abroad like even that much more, you know, posters and billboards. I just remember seeing it everywhere on you know.
Speaker 2: So I was like, Wow, that's a huge show.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. We all kind of are cut from the same cloth in that respect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's not a week that goes by that someone doesn't come up to me and go, oh my god, I love you. You were great on Melwar's place, and when they do, I'm just like, thank you, thank you so much, because I'm like, it's the same thing. We just you know, we're all aligned, we're family.
Speaker 5: What do you remember? What do you remember from your dad and Darren creating the show and these ladies being cast.
Speaker 4: I remember we talk about this a lot that they take a lot of stories from real life and put into Nino to and oh and we're seeing that now doing the rewatch. So Melrose was like our place that we always went to, my friends and I and that was like the thing, and my dad was always really intrigued, like what's the Melrose like type thing? And so I know that was like part of the inspiration of wanting to elevate it to like something that was a little more like mainstream for La, like when you got a little bit older, you know, you weren't Beverly Hills like that was the lux in kind of Melrose was like it was cooler. It was like where anyone and everyone could come and kind of be a part of it and fit in and be able to afford the time. I mean, not the place you guys lived in that was like crazy, but no one could afford to live there.
Speaker 3: I think that that nice.
Speaker 5: Did you guys think it was nice? I never thought that apartment building was so bougie.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: It's funny because I think it was sort of in the day supposed to be like a cool place, and now it just looks so run down and dumpy to me.
Speaker 2: When I watched, I.
Speaker 7: Go, wow, it was exaccurate apartment lived.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I had to live in an apartment I would have wanted to live in one like that with pool and like all the young people living there.
Speaker 8: Totally, the apartments I actually lived in in LA we're not as cute as that, So yeah, they were pretty janky.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 1: I'm really you know, we heard you guys are doing a rewatch podcast.
Speaker 2: So have you started? Are you already into it? We've started.
Speaker 8: Our first episode is actually live today, so today's our launch day, and we you know, we're just still getting together once a week from here on out.
Speaker 3: And we watched the pilot.
Speaker 1: You watched the pilot and how did you How did you well like it?
Speaker 4: Jenny?
Speaker 7: We all wanted to jump in a break because we.
Speaker 8: Feel like, oh, Kelly, yeah, no, too young.
Speaker 7: Up until like, as you guys are flirting up until the second you guys kissed, I was thinking they couldn't possibly they was like, we are kissing, the kissing it's so shocking now. The time, I remember it seeming romantic and sexy, and now it looks shocking creepy, right, yeah, yeah, now it looks creepy, although you know, incredibly handsome, attractive people being creepy. But still our thinking about that has changed so much school.
Speaker 1: We're older now, so we have a completely different perspective. I think that's what Tory and I find so interesting about rewatching our show is that you are able to look at it from a completely different place in life, and everything just resonates a little differently.
Speaker 7: What do you think then? What did you think then? Do you remember when you had a storyline with Grant.
Speaker 1: No, I remember just being like, Okay, this is what I've been told to do, Like I didn't. There wasn't a point where I had much say in anything, and so I was just doing what Darren and Aaron wanted done, and I didn't think anything of it. Like I literally never thought, oh he's this age or she's this age.
Speaker 7: Did it seem bad? He's insane and handsome, right, and a super nice guy. So did it seem like, oh, this feels how were you actually? Were you eighteen at the time? How old were you.
Speaker 2: In real life?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How old were you?
Speaker 4: Guys started?
Speaker 2: What year was thisenne ninety two?
Speaker 5: Yeah, ninety two too, God quick, math, you were around eighteen? Yeah, about eighteen.
Speaker 2: I can't even fathom being eighteen again. Wow. Yeah, at the time, we thought it was kind of a lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, at the time, it seemed really wetter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he was like twenty.
Speaker 8: Like his character, probably mid twenties as the character, but he was probably about thirty.
Speaker 2: It's creepy now that we look back at it. Yeah, I guess they're right.
Speaker 6: A lot of stuff feels inappropriate and kind of shocking, you know what I mean. And it's so bizarre that none of us saw before. It's just the way the would. But and I say this.
Speaker 9: Like.
Speaker 6: Drama, just drama and conflict. Back then, was you know, women being threatened or harmed by a male figure the bad guy, like that was the go to you know, it's not that it just was allowed in.
Speaker 3: Life, so you know, you.
Speaker 6: Can't really do that right now, that's like a this misogynistic and easy easy, you know, sloppy, lazy writing. Why why do we always go to that. Let's just throw in a threat to her. Let's just threaten her.
Speaker 5: You know that'd be funny, Daphne. That's a major theme on Milrose.
Speaker 2: Like totally the thing I know well.
Speaker 7: But also I watched a kind of Fringish crime because I'm stuck on BritBox. There's always a woman getting locked somewhere, like she's in a box, she's an old refrigerator. That happens all the time. It's not just us as it does. Happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 5: And do you remember Jenny like being on your set and shooting with you guys sort of as you launched this first episode. I know you didn't have scenes together.
Speaker 4: We did it during the summer, so we were not like we.
Speaker 7: Remember when I remember you guys coming on and filming. What did you guys think of it? Did you think, oh, I can't believe they're making us launch the show or did it seem fun? Do you remember it again?
Speaker 4: I go back to the beginning, sorry real quick. So I know obviously Grant was cast because he was the crossover of the link to Melbroe's place. But Courtney, you were cast first out of everyone else. Correct, I don't know, Yeah, you were right.
Speaker 3: You tell remember so.
Speaker 4: Little known fact. I Summer school was my like one of my biggest obsessions. It was my favorite. And I had this thing when I was younger then, whenever I would watch something and I was a huge fan, I would always take notes and tell my dad, like this person, I like, they're great, you have to cast them in something. I did this, you know, since I was like literally seven years old, and I just remember telling him that I was such a huge fan of yours, and I was really excited that he went on to work.
Speaker 7: I need to tell a story super quick that I told in our first episode, but super quick about your dad. So I auditioned for something else, auditioned for a whole week, didn't get it. I was devastated. And as I'm leaving the office, he said, he said, Doll, I'm going to work with you, and I just sort of rolled my eyes, like I like you hear that. The next morning, I woke up there was a stack of scripts on my doorstep, and one was from Melo's place, and your dad was one of the few people who said things like that and meant it like I will work with you, you will be in one of these things. And it was Melra's place, So now I owe that to you, So thank you.
Speaker 6: Tory's toys a dad give her a stack of scripts.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, okay, why did you cast anyone else?
Speaker 4: I was also obsessed with Spaceball, very going had me in there.
Speaker 3: I knew it. Thank god I did that though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank god you were allowed to watch that movie.
Speaker 3: And were three.
Speaker 4: Sorr said, Laura, I can't take credit for you.
Speaker 8: No, I was a nobody unless you sat at the bar and I bought you a drink.
Speaker 5: You probably didn't know me, Laura. It was your first job ever, Like, how did you go? I mean that must have been insane to go from never working to being on like what was arguably like the top show in the universe.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it was to me because I I was coming into something that was I was. It was so far above my wildest imaginings of what my first job might be, and it was.
Speaker 2: It was written as a two episode guest s arc and I.
Speaker 8: Thought that was the hugest first job ever to have two whole episodes where I got to, you know, develop a character. And I didn't just you know, wait on somebody in the background, you know, as my first job. So no, it was it was a huge deal in I went through a series of auditions and I was at those.
Speaker 2: Big offices on Wolster Boulevard.
Speaker 8: And and I was just thrilled when they told me that I had won the job. And then I was like, oh no, now I have to figure out what I'm doing, you know, like you know, you know, the script supervisor reminded me that I needed to match from take to take and was like, what's matching?
Speaker 2: What do you type me now?
Speaker 8: And I was supposed to be smoking a cigarette and that first appearance of my character, she was smoking, and I thought, oh god, now I have to smoke at the same time. What Like, I didn't know any of that stuff. But yeah, and by the way, your dad was super cool to me as well. He was like, I love the jacket kid. You know, I was wearing a leather jacket in my audition. He's like, Sydney, where's the jacket. So I ended up that was part of her definition of her characters, how she dressed, and it was my jacket that i'd worn to the audition?
Speaker 5: Was it nerve wracking? Like, did you guys realize, like this guy's the biggest TV producer of all time?
Speaker 3: What was that Like?
Speaker 7: It was nerve But he was so sweet. You're in this beautiful office and he made you feel comfortable. It's the exact opposite of what happens today when you walk into a bunch of strangers. He would walk in, he'd give you a hugs. It's so good to see you. Remember Duke. Duke Vincent came to my mind today driving here. It was such a different time, Like your dad was like the last person of that era who believed in actors as people and that were here to do this thing together. And he had loyalty to his actors, which I think you just don't see very often anymore.
Speaker 3: Like look at Heather.
Speaker 6: He brought Heather in, and I remember the wood paneling in his office and the fine art on the walls and the soft cigar, and it was just so elegant. You know, I didn't audition but Darren, because Darren brought me in and he kind of just and then I think, I don't know if I had to do with a Friday or something. No, he didn't do meetings on Friday, right. I don't know if I new remembers, but anyway, Aaron just said, chosen't need to go to network. We're just going to do this. So it was like, just you know, not many people can do that. I'm saying this, so she's coming. Yeah, So I did read for him, though Darren wrote a little scene that didn't wasn't from the show. We just wrote something so he could present me this new character from New York, you know, And and I just remember just just loving it. I just had so much fun. I was so excited to come on to a show where I could act every single day.
Speaker 3: I was so excited.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was great.
Speaker 6: And I remember disappointing your dad immediately. I wore an out that he hated. I was chewing gum, which he hated. I was wearing a hat that he hated.
Speaker 2: And first day, yeah, so we just we just redid it.
Speaker 3: We reshot my first day and I had none of that stuff.
Speaker 2: It was that simple, man.
Speaker 9: It was handed man. You got more shy be Small.
Speaker 2: Lynch, Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politicking. What does politicket even mean.
Speaker 9: So this is how politicking work out right, It's bridging gaps. You shit down, you come to the round table. We need to figure it out. I need to figure out where you're coming from, right, but you need to figure out where he coming from. Your politicking might be a little bit different.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 9: You feel me you you handle yours a different way. We bring each side all walks of life, like how we're doing right now, and we figure out what we got going on and what I'm gonna call that politicking, not because he's a politician, but because that's just what we.
Speaker 2: Do with no politics, with.
Speaker 9: No politics, politics with no politics I'm talking about I love it, and we can change the world podcast by podcast and we.
Speaker 2: Will change the world. Podcast guest to be saved.
Speaker 9: But we're gonna figure it out though.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. We got a lot to do together right now. Yeah, that's why you're listening to politicking on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 9: Apple Pie or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 4: Open your free iHeart app and search politicking coming July fifteenth, Parney. I remember, maybe I might have this wrong. Did you come to our house which wasn't the big house, It was the semi big house before and read with Andrew and were there a couple other guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because that replaced the billy character. So on a Saturday we came to your house. Yes, yes, Well, wasn't it the big house across from the park, isn't that?
Speaker 2: It wasn't the.
Speaker 4: Quote unquote manner. It was the one on the other side of Mapleton. We say it wasn't the fifty six thousand square foot house.
Speaker 3: It was of conversation.
Speaker 7: It was a beautiful library with leather bound volumes of Fantasy Island and love Boat. It was in wall to walls, in wall to wall. It was amazing. And I watched your dad work the roomy them all do exactly what he wanted. I was like, wow, the puppet master, it was fascinating. Cool, he's so smart.
Speaker 8: But Torri, I heard you had a point of view about Andrew Shoe too. You he was maybe maybe this is folklore, but this is what I recall is that you.
Speaker 2: Had a preference and you thought and.
Speaker 4: Partney stole him from me. Yeah, that's that happens.
Speaker 8: That parts extra butt.
Speaker 2: And on this show.
Speaker 5: And we all, I mean, I I don't want to say we all. Tory and Jenny can speak for themselves, but I got kind of swoony. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my gosh, he said no, I had a crush on him back then, like when my dad cast him, and yeah, I saw him at like one upfront and I was like, oh my god, he's so cute.
Speaker 7: And then because he is so so cute, it's still so it was.
Speaker 6: Still dream so toy and then we'll talk to Jenny too. But Tory, did you also have a say in that the men were all uh, shirtless because you had crushes on all Andrew was shirtless and even in the pilot he just starts right off and so does Grant, and like then they just made it a thing. It's probably Darren.
Speaker 4: I think my dad was into that too, like he was like, you know, the women, you know, we want them to be smart and funny and hot, and same with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same with men.
Speaker 2: Hot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got to keep our clothes on. How about nine O two and o the guys never had clothes on. We always had our clothes took.
Speaker 2: I don't think no, you guys we begged.
Speaker 5: There's definitely like bikini a lot on nine O two one oh Yeah, you guys were always around the pool though we had the beach house.
Speaker 2: You had the pool.
Speaker 7: Was your beach house inside or outside?
Speaker 4: On set?
Speaker 2: It was inside, Yeah, because.
Speaker 7: We had to be inside in a bathing suit. Was extra, super duper uncomfortable. It felt even worse than it would have if we were actually outside.
Speaker 2: Was inside, Yeah, that pool.
Speaker 7: We didn't even get a skyline till like season four, so they couldn't shoot up, so they had to you see the roof, you see the lighting. So we finally got the sky illusion, which seems like a pretty easy fix that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they dug outside stage. They dug into the floor and built a underground the sound.
Speaker 3: You didn't know that, Amy.
Speaker 4: It was like the love boat, the lido deck in the pool. I mean they did go on cruises once in a while, but it was all on set, the pool and everything. Did you go on the love boat cruises?
Speaker 5: Toy?
Speaker 4: I did go on the first one, I think when they were doing what Mexico. Yeah, it was like two or three.
Speaker 6: Was there, Yes, disappoint her whatever you say, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you guys, did you ever feel like any once you thought about doing a podcast about your show from so long ago. Did you guys ever have any like conflicting feelings about it where all of you like, yeah, let's just do this, let's talk about it, or where was anybody like.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I want to do this.
Speaker 6: So far, we've just been because Corney keeps saying, let's just have fun. Let's just sit around and talk and watch this and just make it fun, because how can it be serious? Seriously, you know, the rest of your career, you're hustling this and that and do I you know, but this is just an opportunity to have fun.
Speaker 3: And then we did text everyone.
Speaker 6: We're all in a text chain, and they all said, yeah, we'll come, we'll come, and that, Yeah we'll come, and.
Speaker 2: Nice for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah did you hear that?
Speaker 6: Jo?
Speaker 3: Did that happen with you guys?
Speaker 1: No much, really, I'm glad you guys have the support of your cast though, well, you guys see you guys.
Speaker 7: See each other more like we're scattered far and wide, so we don't get to see each other very often. I feel like you guys have come together and I have they Is that right? I feel like you guys see each other more.
Speaker 1: We each other at cons occasionally we see each other. We saw each other on BH nine or two and I when we did that show in twenty eighteen, right, But other than.
Speaker 3: That, not got it.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of feeling like we should wait.
Speaker 4: I have a question. Is there a kind of screen? I got so excited. Wow, I just amied out. I just got a super fan because I like, I became such a super fan of Meller's Place, because you know, our show we're filming and doing all that. But like, I actually watched your show with my friends and like that was so I'm a super fan. But is there the reboot coming out in the works.
Speaker 2: We're in the works.
Speaker 8: We don't have any you know, there's nothing definitive, but it's in the works. We're trying, we hope, so you know, we hope.
Speaker 6: We've been working on develop We've been developing something Laura and I for quite a while with CBA Studios that owns IP and uh so, yeah, they are very excited and.
Speaker 4: Get a referral fee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a fair question.
Speaker 8: I think you should keep asking that because Tori, you go, you should ask.
Speaker 4: You're in charge of casting, Tori, I can't help with.
Speaker 5: The Taylor and Jake are married after all these years.
Speaker 3: Just kidding, just kidding, that would be actually nice.
Speaker 5: Now it's kind of appropriate now the age difference is is okay? Wait really quickly. It's interesting with nine O two one oh and Melrose that out the gate they weren't like giant Giant perfect because oh, sort of that was okay, And then it had these summer episodes and do you guys feel that way that when Heather came on it really changed the trajectory.
Speaker 7: One, We're gonna be canceled, and then Heather came on and everything turned around. But we needed a bad guy. I don't know if that's true for your guys showing and you had the summer, but we didn't have eight nice kids trying to make it. And then Heather came on, we had a bad guy. Did you guys have that or was it just the summer or did something shift in the way you were telling stories.
Speaker 1: We had the summer, which definitely helped with that original content, but then we had Tiffany come in, who was kind of like our Heather. She played Val and so she was, but that wasn't until season three. We just crashed it and I have no idea she didn't.
Speaker 5: Shift at the point where it became much more soapy on nine h two and zero, which I'm all about, like, and I don't know if that was maybe because at the time Melrose was starting to blow up, but there is a shift around season four. It does start to feel a bit more.
Speaker 4: Juicy Melrose or.
Speaker 5: Like with the murder, and there's a little bit more sex and there's more like drama, and.
Speaker 4: They were taking the lead from Melrose.
Speaker 2: They were like, yeah, so what year did did Heather come on to Morrow's the f one?
Speaker 7: Midway season one? So we were not we were sold for thirteen. It must have been right after thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of fun.
Speaker 6: They were in fifteen, someone told me, and she wasn't on yet, so I just have the number fifteen, So we're going to do fifteen episodes of you talking and telling.
Speaker 3: Us that we weren't there yet. But then Howther came on after that.
Speaker 7: And I think Sar said we need to add smart Vice.
Speaker 8: And it was that sort of an overall tonal shift too, because it was like too got bad, really he got bad, and just it was a general tonal shift, like it was no longer about just like, oh can these kids pay their rent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, am like a primetime Soapa.
Speaker 5: It was old.
Speaker 2: Was terrible stuff, terrible.
Speaker 5: Wait before you guys go just a little thing. You can keep going, keep going, We've got time. But on night of doing oh they I don't want to speak for these guys, but there was maybe inter set dating, but it was kept kind of under wraps, whereas on Melrose Place it seemed like it was like have at it. We're in the magazines. Everybody kind of knew about it.
Speaker 3: It's is that right, Like we weren't underage. That's probably why because.
Speaker 8: And it was like sort of an actual relationship because like Courtney and like you guys dated for a year.
Speaker 2: Like it wasn't just like, oh, I'm going to date.
Speaker 7: For I don't discuss my personal life, right, Yes we did. We dated and they were horrified and terrified that it would be a bad breakup, but it wasn't. It was very sweet when it was happening, and then it was fine when it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Tell them what you said. They were concerned, hilarious.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were concerned and we yeah, but it happened pretty fast. We did not keep it together very long. Uh, And then we told them, and they were concerned, of course, because what if we broke up and hated each other. That didn't happen, but we literally dated for the season and then that was it. What did you say before you went on?
Speaker 5: I heard Daphne asked that.
Speaker 2: I thought it was so cute what you said to Andrew.
Speaker 7: Didn't I I just said I said it here.
Speaker 8: Not on camera, though. The story started when you broke up. What did you tell Andrew?
Speaker 7: Okay, the lines are blurring after we broke up, I said, now the screen kissing, no tongue, and he goes why.
Speaker 4: I was like, because you're not dating anymore.
Speaker 2: He goes, why, just.
Speaker 7: Trust just trust me, just tongue.
Speaker 6: He's like, I don't understand how to pull back before after physically pulled.
Speaker 3: This so funny because you.
Speaker 4: Break up on Monday. I don't think that's fair. I don't think you all break up.
Speaker 7: Character Yeah, ok, Broker are still dating. So when we had to kiss, I was like, now we have to do screen kissing, and he was like, I don't because I'd been his only screen kiss and we'd been dating. I was like, magic, I.
Speaker 2: Am appreciate your boundaries. I like that about you.
Speaker 4: Thank you genuine quite proud of yes.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 4: Wait did you start dating during the pilot? After the pilot?
Speaker 7: I know when we were watching the pilot, and I know I wanted to date him very early.
Speaker 4: I remember.
Speaker 7: Like trying to hold off, but it was really early. I'm going to say like episode three or four or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe that sounds like holding off.
Speaker 4: I did not. It wasn't super impressive.
Speaker 2: Wait what do you wait?
Speaker 7: Well, because I thought, no, we can't possibly were all right? And then he's so adorable. He was in my defense, right, he's so adorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really you couldn't help yourself.
Speaker 7: I'm only one woman. I'm only one woman.
Speaker 3: I just love it.
Speaker 6: And then like they're like, okay, we're broken up, no time kissing? All right, great, I'll see you.
Speaker 7: And then you break up?
Speaker 4: And then wait, who on the cast did you tell first when you guys started dating before anyone knew?
Speaker 7: Well, you know who knew first? Were Tony and Kathleen are wardrobe people? Because so we shot out in Santa Clarita. Where did you guys shoot Santa Clarica?
Speaker 4: Santa were and.
Speaker 7: We were shooting, you know, fourteen to sixteen hours a day, and it felt like we had to drive back into town. So we kept saying we should stay at the Hilton Garden End, which is the Hilton Garden In, And one day we said, you know what, we have a really late we're getting out late and we're coming in early, so we're just gonna stay at the Hilton garden In overnight. Kenny Barrow some pajamas, and Tony and Kathleen were like, yeah right. I was like no, really, And then the next day I was like, no, you were right. It was not like we didn't need pajamas. Yeah, well we did.
Speaker 4: We did. We just don't want.
Speaker 7: To think that we did need pajamas. But we did kiss in our pajamas.
Speaker 6: So you guys are getting the tea here happy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't remember having conversations with the cast about it, or.
Speaker 7: I don't know how everyone knew it was Kathleen, and I'm sure Kathleen told Tony told everyone right away. I think people were already seeing there was something going on, like there was chemistry everywhere.
Speaker 1: Just understood to know, but like there were a lot of relationships, like meaningful relationships that lasted for some of you with your cast members.
Speaker 7: I was married to Doug to Miss Day. I mean, look at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty six.
Speaker 7: Years of marriage and and I dated.
Speaker 2: That's insane. Yeah crazy.
Speaker 4: How long were you and Grant together for?
Speaker 8: It was at least a couple of years. I think it was maybe almost three seasons. I mean I really you know, and then our relationship, you know, obviously was ended and stuff, and Grant or Doug and I just didn't even really become Our relationship didn't beget until we were all leaving the show after our five seasons anyway, And that was sort of when my relationship with the Doug started as we were off the show. So it was never like an on the show overlap or like, oh I've you know, they were kind of separate.
Speaker 7: Hey, everyone, this is Courtney Thorne, Smith.
Speaker 8: Laura Layton, and daphnews Aniga on July eighth Night, ninety two. Apartment buildings with pools were never quite the same. As Melroe's Place was introduced to the world, it took drama and mayhem to an entirely new level.
Speaker 7: We are going to be reliving every hookup, every scandal, every backstep, blackmail and explosion, and every single wig removal together.
Speaker 8: Secrets are revealed as we rewatch every moment with you.
Speaker 3: Special guests from back in the day, we'll be dropping by. You know who they are.
Speaker 6: Sydney, Allison and Joe are back together on Still the Place with a trip down memory Lane and back to Melroe's Place. So listen to Still the Place on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 7: Mondays are Still a bitch?
Speaker 5: Do fans glitch like I do when I got the two of you together? Like do fans, especially in other places, do they freak because you go do look the same?
Speaker 3: Do they freak out out?
Speaker 7: Like oh wait yeah?
Speaker 8: And it's sort of funny like you were saying, Tori, like you were struck by like every you know, every week people are still like, oh my god, Meloye's place. Well, and for you, I know, the joke was that they sometimes get it mixed up. They do it for us too, nine o two and oh they're telling me, oh, I remember you from nine or two in our change banks. I know what you mean, but you know, like, yeah, they're all interchangeable. But like there are times when we'll be out and we were just in Europe together with our families and stuff, and sometimes somebody would spot him and.
Speaker 2: Go, oh my god reply and then they turn and they're like.
Speaker 8: Oh what, you know, like it's all or the other way around. They might see one of us and not the other and then never really even put it together.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just sort of funny.
Speaker 8: And then there was one time, like he was it was before we were married. We were engaged, I think, but we were not married. He needed to have a surgery and we were in the hospital and he was just coming out of surgery, and of course I was with him for recovery and everything, and there was a moment when the nurse walked into his hospital room and they're like, you know, dealing with whatever he needed. And she turns and she sees me in the chair next to us bend. She's like, you know, because I was like I was this crazy character, you know, and that's how she saw me. And she's like, you're not safe here with this, you know, crazy person in your room, and he's like, no, she's fine.
Speaker 4: So people, there's nothing hotder to me than when two stars of a TV show get together after like it's like Mila and Ashton. It's like it blew my mind or when you and Doug were together. I was like, yes as a fan, you know, like a the aftermath like worked out, like, yeah, you guys see each other back then, But did you guys ever have that flirtation during was there ever?
Speaker 2: Like no, it was never.
Speaker 8: No, It's sort of never a heard to us until there was this moment at the end of the five seasons. We didn't have a lot of scenes to We didn't really have a lot of scenes together, and you know, to be honest, he was married at the you know, he was married very young, and he had two little girls, and he was just one of the cast. So he was just one of the cast members in our bunch, and we were all really close friends, and we all just like loved and admired each other and just that's it sort of thing. And I it wasn't really until late late late in the process he was going through his divorce and and Grant and I had ended, and that we just had conversations where we were sort of like realizing, like, wow, you're you're all that, Like I had no idea you've been We've been working together for five years and I never knew all these things about you or he didn't know about me, and it was just sort of we had this opportunity to see each other in a different way and go, wow, all this time of you know, known you but not known you, and it.
Speaker 5: Was yeah, Courtney and Andrew.
Speaker 2: I think not at the beginning.
Speaker 8: I think it was maybe a little bit harder, and it was a longer relationship, and it wasn't it wasn't as easy to do that and go, oh, and by the way, now you know, Doug and I are dating, and you know.
Speaker 2: So that was that was a little bit more of a harder transition.
Speaker 8: I mean, certainly now everyone's pals and fine and and all that, and he's you know, he's got his marriage and his kids, and we've got twenty six years of marriage and our kids and so like that's all.
Speaker 2: It's just such a funny, like it's a million years ago.
Speaker 7: It does.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a million years ago. But it was like it was like that.
Speaker 4: I know, and we definitely who did you date?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, who did you date?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: I kept work and personal life separate like a professional.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding. Yeah, I didn't. I do know this. I do know this.
Speaker 6: I do remember Thomas so when I started A ninety too, I was dating someone, living with someone, and then we were just breaking up. And so the next time I saw people on the set, which was I think at the end of the week, I was brought someone else to, like the Christmas party maybe something like that. I just remember Thomas and Liz just coming up and going, so, did you have someone another boyfriend week? And I'm like, oh, yeah, that was that's over about that and he's like, so.
Speaker 3: This is your new boyfriend. I'm like, yeah, my new boyfriend. He's yeah.
Speaker 6: So that kind of happened a few times throughout my time at Melrose Place, so, but no one was on set.
Speaker 2: I think they were actors. Actually, Wow, we're.
Speaker 5: Most excited to have on Who are who? Do you guys want to talk everyone?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, we're excited.
Speaker 2: We're gonna We're excited to have had everyone.
Speaker 8: We were just talking about this that like we need to have like a little something that we all sign, you know, so that eventually everybody crosses back through the room and we have assigned I don't know script. I mean, you know, we were all here again, you know tile, Yeah, I had one.
Speaker 5: You guys know this. But when When the show ended, they sent to the press a pool tile and I kept it for the longest time. I got to dig around tiles.
Speaker 3: It was not a tile.
Speaker 5: It was like a total fake, like hairy, like I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what it was, not a tile.
Speaker 6: We you know, we've all kept in touch, but also some of us have have worked with each other, like Josie and Laura and I did The Fantasy Island on Fox a couple of years ago. I just I did Dynasty a couple of years ago. Laura did there, so we saw Grant, you know. And so there's a little bit of Jack has worked with Josie and I've worked with you know. So there's a god with Marsha, Doug and Marsha. So there's this kind of like.
Speaker 7: This didn't according to Jim, and he didn't according he did. It's fun.
Speaker 6: So it's just kind of like wanting to see everyone. There's no favorite there really isn't. I'm just looking forward to I haven't seen Thomas in a long time.
Speaker 8: I went to my kids went to middle school with Thomas's kids, so we saw him as like parents out in the world, like being you know.
Speaker 2: You guys.
Speaker 1: I went to a yoga class once and he was my yoga teacher, Thomas.
Speaker 2: Really he's really yoga.
Speaker 1: Oh my shirtless shirtless yeah, on his head, all kinds of things.
Speaker 7: Ooh, did he correct This was a while A lot. I see him correcting a lot.
Speaker 3: Of that's amazing. Okay, we're gonna ask him about that.
Speaker 2: We're going to bring him on as we're gonna have like a little yoga moment. Yeah, now that we know the right way to do it is. Did you go back to the class? I don't think I went. It was just too weird. She's like, I just got to wait for.
Speaker 5: I told you guys the time I saw Martians the grocery store and I was like.
Speaker 1: Like, she freaked out, did you pull her hair like Lemons?
Speaker 4: And was just like, did you just give.
Speaker 2: Her hair a little tug?
Speaker 7: That's where I see her too. I've seen her in the grocery store several times. Isn't that funny.
Speaker 5: Because we all live in the same because we all live in the same areas, won't I won't name it, I know, but I have a place in l.
Speaker 2: A and it's ok.
Speaker 5: I've seen Courtney around.
Speaker 7: I saw her foods.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's where the lemon incident happened. That's exactly where and sometimes Ed O'Neill cruising down the the eye.
Speaker 3: Pam daughter O'Neill. Mindy, Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 5: They got the regulars there at the Vicenti Foods.
Speaker 7: We do. It's a little neighborhood market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I can.
Speaker 1: I could speak for my but I'm pretty sure Tori and I feel the same way. Like it being able to go back and watch yourselves on the show that was from your early twenties. It's just actually a gift, Like you guys are gonna love it so much, being able to sort of like not just watch the show, but like remember what it was like for you personally in that timeframe. And it's just a really cathartic like experience where you really do get to revisit your past life in a completely different way than normal.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm really excited for you guys. I hope you hope you love.
Speaker 4: It going back to high school but not as scary.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean what's coming up to me? Mostly watching it, I so much compassion for that young woman. I was exactly about how much how hard I was on myself, and I'm so grateful. I don't do that to myself now. I'm so much kinder to myself today and I just want to go take her and go, oh sweetie, sweetie.
Speaker 2: Like it's going to be okay, it's fine, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it felt so it's one of them to talk about too. It felt so intense. We were working all the time, we had photo shoots on weekends, and now we're all like, let's get together and have some fun. And I wish we've beld a lot more of that energy. But when you're working fourteen hours a day and on weekends, it feels much more intense. So this is nice to go back with that really lighthearted energy. It's fun to see you guys with this lighthearted energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's us too. This is just a trip, actually fun dream come true. Right now.
Speaker 4: It's great able to go back and you'll see, like you become fans of your own show.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so true, because we talk about this a lot too, Like we know, I never watched the show when it was on because it was too busy working or like trying to figure out how to have a life. And then also I never read the parts of the script that the other people were in. I only read my parts basically because you know, you only got so many free gigabytes up there. So now watching the show, we are such fans of the show, like we are super fans of our own show now, which is weird.
Speaker 7: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Well, normally I've watched a little bit back then, but I was so hard on myself. I couldn't look at myself. And now I'm able to disconnect and be like, oh I love this girl, I love this character, and yeah, we're super fans.
Speaker 2: So it's cool.
Speaker 7: Oh that's so sweet. I hope that happens. That's a great. Well, look at it.
Speaker 2: So you guys are going to have so much fun.
Speaker 4: Talks about me. What season did your in your opinion? Did nine? Two and I jump the shark?
Speaker 2: It does? It hasn't jumped the shark yet? Yeah, threatening season seven of the ten?
Speaker 4: Seven of the ten? In your opinion?
Speaker 2: Watch it?
Speaker 3: I'll still watch.
Speaker 4: What about Melro's Place? When did it jump the shark?
Speaker 2: Did we all leave it?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 7: What's yeah, it's seven? I think we all left. But the Yeah, we did thirty three episodes a year, so we've got.
Speaker 6: A lot of feel like it's two different shows. Yeah, like the last four or three. We're just different show, the.
Speaker 5: Last cast, the last two, Yeah, a different cast A little bit there at the end, it got a little You guys.
Speaker 3: Were on for ten years.
Speaker 2: Tory and I were on for ten years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so did you then go to college and then got post college jobs?
Speaker 4: The characters m I was so confused.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, we went to college.
Speaker 7: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: A store together, cute?
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm starting with again now too.
Speaker 4: It was on me.
Speaker 7: I'm starting over with that.
Speaker 2: Of course it was on Melroe's Place.
Speaker 3: That probably, Oh my.
Speaker 5: Gosh, the boutique you guys open is on Melrose.
Speaker 4: Who came to shop?
Speaker 7: Who came to shop in it? Do you remember Jessica Alba seriously from Melrose Place? Was she on Melrose Place? But you said that it was on.
Speaker 2: The street, on the street Melrose Place.
Speaker 4: It's it's not like a kind of fancy, it's on the corner. And then they built an on set fancy.
Speaker 8: So I did a few episodes of nine, O, two and O at the beginning of I can't remember which season, at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Of what Yeah, wait, watch what episode?
Speaker 3: I think Laura's is trying to throw Amy.
Speaker 2: What what episode are you guys on right now? In your podcast?
Speaker 7: Amy's madly Yeah, you.
Speaker 8: Played Sydney no a whole new character. So it was literally after I was done with Melrose later later and then and then I got the call like, hey, will you do the first six episodes of nine O two and zero in season?
Speaker 2: Please tell me so?
Speaker 8: And I was I had a storyline with Brian and it sort of overlapped with David.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was like a grifter Like I was sort of like a grifter, Like.
Speaker 2: There was like some somewhirre thing where I was like, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: A little.
Speaker 4: Sophie. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you want to leave the show after five episode? You said that each of you left after five years?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Did you all want to leave at that time? Was that your choice?
Speaker 8: So it sort of a natural It was a contract break, right because our contracts were only through those five years, and it was all sort of of a piece like if the negotiations went, you know whatever, and it was just like it just didn't those pieces didn't all fit right together to want to stay longer. It just felt like the right time to leave. Just creatively, I mean, I can only speak for my experience of it, but it just felt like it was a natural transition where they were. You know, we'd done so many crazy storylines and I just you know, it was sort of hard to imagine.
Speaker 7: And thirty two episodes a year, so it was really like eighties to Double Light. We did so many episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did double ups too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I had a number and I told them my number and they're like no, and I was like, all right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think that was sort of the same for most people.
Speaker 7: It was like, well, for the right day, it would be worth it for this, and they were.
Speaker 2: And that just wasn't in the cards. So yeah, so we all just sort of like.
Speaker 4: Low super piecey Corney's like, I gave a number, they said, Now, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's how it went.
Speaker 3: He's out.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so then right about welcome to Courney, great, welcome to court me.
Speaker 5: And we have stolen it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Mondays are a bitch that you guys did have some of the most rad promo lines ever. They get Minasa wasn't it minausa Tuesdays?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, TV Guide that would be like yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were getting a great job.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We just wish you the best of luck on this you're embarking on. You never know what you can learn about yourself.
Speaker 7: I hope there's events when we get to see each other in person. When's the iHeart Christmas party I want to see?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the next.
Speaker 7: Really fun. Yeah, it's so good to see you.
Speaker 4: To your house amazing, and it's so good to see you and honestly, as a man, it's so great to see the three of you together doing this. It's just, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Everybody, make sure to listen, download and like all the place Still's place rewatch podcast.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, good
Speaker 6: Go, thy bye,