Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth.
Speaker 2: And Lazarre.
Speaker 3: Hello, everybody nailed it, joined us Always buy our bark.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Barr The only coach you can get away with that technique. There's one coach. The answers, but that way p one question it love it, that was good. That was good.
Speaker 3: That made me feel good.
Speaker 1: That was a good.
Speaker 3: That was my favorite SoundBite to come from the owner's meetings.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure it was favorite sound bite. Nothing, nothing, but the coach that coaches, you're the team you cover said, certainly.
Speaker 3: There's very well had a good You had a good presser.
Speaker 1: I talked about building a tough, physical football team, didn't he Not only that, nobody talked I'd rather hear about that than ep a Ian. Rather hear about how you're gonna win football games. And as long as the math lines.
Speaker 3: Up, how you're gonna win football games is by building a good passing game. That's how that's the point that he was making.
Speaker 1: By building good football team. Good passing game equals wins, and good football team equals wins.
Speaker 3: I don't understand that they're they're the same thing.
Speaker 1: There's I believe it or not, there's more to football than just throwing the ball. Yes, there is, for balance purposes. Sure, sure, there's more to football than throwing the ball. All right, I promise you watch a football game sometime. You'll be surprised.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Okay, that's where you're going. Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, Evan, watch a football game that never happens. All right, Hello, everybody, Evan Lazar, Alex Bars Patriots Catch twenty two. Two weeks Alex two weeks to go until the NFL Draft. Two weeks in a day. But I'm gonna call it two weeks. I'm gonna round down and call it two weeks. Look, the hay is not quite in the barn for me personally, but it's getting there. We're we're we're getting to hayes in the barn status, Like we got a few more was it biales?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Bales of hay to go? Yeah, but we're very very close.
Speaker 1: And now is how many players? Would you say you're up to?
Speaker 3: Probably about one thirty?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'm probably not range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to get to one fifty this year. Usually I get to around between one twenty five and one fifty. But this year, I'm trying to get to that one fifty more because they have those two fifths and you just, you know, you kind of want to know a little bit more about early day three in a year like this. But we're getting to the point now where the intel's changing daily. It almost feels like, right, you know, last week it was a lock that, uh, the Cleveland Browns are gonna take Abdual Carter at number two. Now it's a lock that Travis Hunters is going to go to to the Browns. It feels like we're in that part of the off season, which I think is interesting because now is the time where the scouting staffs, the coaching staffs, the heads of department, if you will. Now they have their final draft meetings, and really, up until this point, the board hasn't been set yet truly, and I know people find that hard to believe, but the board outside of maybe Tennessee, who might know exactly who they're taking because they're taking somebody first. Overall, it takes a minute to set the board in terms of all these visits and workouts and all that kind of stuff. So we're in the next week or so, I would say in set the board territory now for NFL teams, and when that happens, you often start to hear some trickling out of more information that might be more accurate. I think it was two drafts ago, maybe it was last year's draft that Bill Belichick's is.
Speaker 1: Last year on McAfee. I was going to bring this up last year on McAfee, Bill Belichick said, the accurate information from teams doesn't really start leaking out until about twelve hours before the draft. Yeah, and I remember looking at it last year. Remember it was JJ McCarthy to Patriots JJJJJJ. By the way, JJ McCarthy's agent I hopefully got a raise after last year. But it was about ten hours out last year that we started getting those reports that, Hey, it's Drake may yeh, it's gonna be Drake may So. Because, like you said, the scouts have been doing their thing, the coaches have been doing their thing. This is where they all come together. These next two weeks two and a half weeks. We call this time of your silly season. This is the silliest time of silly season because and I love and hate this part of the draft process. This is the most like exhausting part in a good way, in a bad way. As we go on early, right, you have the Senior Bowl, the Shrine Bowl, you have the Combine, you have Pro Days, you have free agency, Like we're getting all this new information and there's changing takes and it's all evolving because there's new things you have to consider that you have to involve. At this point, I don't know when the deadline is for thirties. I think it's the end of this week, so there's still mighty it's next week, it's next week. Yeah, but most teams have them done, Like there's still gonna be some thirties trickling in. But outside of that, for the teams, the hey is in the barn like they're done. So we're not really gonna get any unless it gets confirmed who the Browns are gonna take, which won't happen until twelve hours for the draft. We're not gonna get externally any new information here in these next two weeks. So now it's just the same thoughts churning through your head over and over. But it's two weeks. We need stuff to talk about, and now's when the real ridiculous stuff starts to come out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. And this is a part of the draft where I hate this part. Honestly, this is my least favorite part because you just start to hear a lot of silliness. You also start to have people that and I'm guilty of this too, that are just so dug in on their take and there's so take ordered well to put certain players. Right now, you're just at the point where it's almost argumentative because it's you just have your guys, I have my guys, and we're just not gonna be well, they're not gonna find a common ground.
Speaker 1: It's the same arguments over and over because again there is no new information. But so you get some people who are so dug in. You also get some people who, uh, you know, want something new to talk about. So now we're just pulling these random what if ashion. Genty goes to Evan with the brown stick ash and genty.
Speaker 3: Second, I haven't even heard that.
Speaker 1: I just hear I haven't either, But I bet you in the next two weeks we're gonna hear somebody bring up what if, Like what if the not necessarily as a report, but again because we have this time to fill and there's nothing new, so we're gonna create something new. What if fashion genty goes second?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard, you know for the Patriots. You know, we've seen some mock drafts recently, Jalen Walker as I picked up a little bit of steam. You know, obviously all the trade down scenarios and stuff like that have been popular. So you hear a lot of that kind of stuff. And we're gonna get into some of the new use for the Patriots with the draft or the Patriots adjacent news at least as well here in a second. And then we're also gonna do My Guys starting today. So My Guys is a fun segment we like to do if you're not familiar. Basically, these are just the guys at Alex and I independently will stand on the table for right. We're pounding the table for these guys. We're planting our flags like these are our guys. We're gonna do offense today, so we'll go every position, quarterback, receiver, running back, tight end, offensive line. Actually I did guard and were doing into your end tackles right with the offensive line, and we just do an offensive line doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I can split it up.
Speaker 3: We'll get into all the my guys for the offense. Next week we'll do defense, and the following week we'll just kind of do a general preview slash, you know, rap show on the pre draft process.
Speaker 1: If you will.
Speaker 3: So that's the agenda for today. We'll obviously take all your calls and emails as well.
Speaker 1: It's at.
Speaker 3: Podcasts I always Forget What It is now podcast at Patriots dot com. And obviously the Patriots Catch twenty two Hotline, not the Unfiltered Hotline because that's a different show. So the eighty five to five pass five hundreds of phone number. We see you guys lining up on the phones already. But hey, Patriots fans, if you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy at toyota dot com. It's Toyota's official website for deals for the official vehicle of the New England Patriots, Toyota. Let's go places and want to host a winning Easter brunch? Team up with Bob's Discount Furniture. Spruce up your space for guests and no time with Bob's latest selection of trendy accent furniture. And wall decor, high quality indoor and outdoor rugs, and space saving storage aka somewhere to hide those Easter eggs. So stop in and stock up for Spring and beyond at Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots. I'm probably gonna regret saying this, but having two Jewish people read an Easter promo is kind of ironic. Anyways, the big thing I wanted to start with today is that there's some rumblings and again, this is silly season. This is we start to get, uh, you know, a little bit tired whatever of all the draft talk. But I think Abdul Carter is starting to become a little bit of a hot button topic of you know, could Abdul Carter be the one that falls to four. I think we've talked a lot about Travis Hunter falling to four, but after his pro day and and after some of the news that trickled out from Cleveland's side following Travis Hunter's pro day, I think they're their GM fight out said like, can I draft both? In terms of shador in Travis Hunter, So.
Speaker 1: There's obviously Ken if he wants come up to four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's obviously an infatuation with with Travis Hunter across the league, which is not surprising, but with Abdul Carter specifically, Uh, if he's there at four, I think there's an interesting discussion that comes to that one. It's another defensive player on that side of the ball. But what I continued to say is that it is a player that is so far above the rest of the pack that you have to take talent where the talent is right. And I would not sweat it one bit to sit at four and have Abdul Carter fall in their laps, But I do want to talk about some of the things with the abdual Carter that might be causing him to fall. But what are just your general impressions right now of all this chatter surrounding Abdul Carter?
Speaker 1: So I don't know. Maybe I'm in the minority here because there's been a lot of reporting that the Browns were there for Travis Hunter. But and I get they sent a big group. I understand that, and Travis Hunter's a great player. Is the owner really traveling for a wide receiver? Is the owner traveling to see a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Like now he did go to Penn State.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, but just the whole party is reminiscent to me of what the Patriots sent to LSU and two UNC last year. I'm like, this is what teams generally send for quarterbacks. So maybe that means that they're going to try to move up and get Sanders in, like the teens move up from the second round and get Sanders in the teens. And they are going to take Hunter at two, and they do want to pair them up. But I still think if Sanders goes too, this is the part I feel stronger about my conviction. I'm not necessarily one hundred percent sold on the Browns doing anything right now. I do feel like if it is Sanders at two, which is admittedly a big if, if it is Sanders a two, Travis Hunter is gonna go three. Yeah. I do think that's the path too.
Speaker 3: It happening, yeah, yeah, And I feel like that's that's where I'm at. I'm trying to think about this realistically. You know, if the draft is Ward Sanders Hunter, then I think that's probably now the most realistic way this goes. That one of those two guys falls to the Patriots. Hunter Carter falls to the Patriots is if the draft goes Ward Sanders one and two. I don't think if the draft goes Ward Hunter, that the Giants are going to pass over Abdul Carter. So the Giants were then I would believe would would draft Carter. So he's not on the board for you anyways. The one thing that I wanted to talk about it I always want to be careful with this kind of stuff, obviously, but it's not my reporting, it's just what's out there about Abdul Carter. Bob McGinn does a great job every single year of really digging up the true feelings of the NFL on each problem.
Speaker 1: He is the draft boogeyman. You don't want to see Bob mcgainn writing about a player, do you like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he comes out every single year, position by a position, and he's got scouts on the record anonymously talking about these players.
Speaker 1: And he was the one for Reference last year. Remember like a week before the draft and we were big Ady Mitchell guys that put out there that Ady Mitchell was going to fall because teams didn't like the way he managed his diet his diabetes. Right, Is that what it was? And I so Adie Mitchell then falls on draft night way beyond where anybody thought. I don't think it was ever confirmed that that's why. But like you tie those two together, it's like, Okay, here's a guy a week before, two weeks before that said he was going to have the significant fall and then he had a significant fault. Yeah, So I don't think we're we're quite with the things that McGain is reporting or is sourcing. I don't think we're quite in Jailen Carter territory where there was an actual legal incident. Well that wasn't a report that just happened right.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'm saying in terms of I don't think we're in that territory because I know he had the incident a year ago with the total truck driver and all that he's been cleared of any charges of that in that case, unless there's more cases that we don't know about that weren't you know, risen to the legal level, you know, where he's getting charged with anything, Like I guess maybe that could happen. But my point being, Jalen Carter had the it was speeding right or reckless driving yea drag racing that that happened like the spring of the draft, right like that happened that year. So Jalen Carter ended up falling ten uh to Philadelphia obviously, and that looks like a home run pick for them. But here's what McGinn wrote, you know, just kind of I'm not gonna read the whole thing, but here here's an excerpt from m again on Abdul Carter. That scout was one of four personnel people to express reservations about Carter's makeup. He's not a great worker, said one plays his butt off on Saturday, but he's not a great guy during the week because he's so gifted. So I think the bit the general gist of what McGinn wrote from all these different scouts about Carters. He's a little high maintenance.
Speaker 1: He's kind of a diva.
Speaker 3: He's a little high maintenance, you know, and he's one of those guys that Monday through Saturday might not give it as all, but Sunday he obviously, you know, when you turn on the tape, you can see what he can do on Sundays or Saturdays, you know, in college football. So I think the number one thing to me with all of this, I always take this type of stuff with a grain of salt. You know, you never know if anybody has a motive or an axe to grind or whatever with a certain player. I tried not to look too much into any of that kind of stuff and just stick to the to the football and stick to the tape. But when Rabel's here and Elliot Wolf and Ryan Cowden, and we can see it with their actions that they have been big culture evaluating us, you know, effort and finish on the football field, getting the right kind of football players, getting the culture. Guys in this locker room, getting former captains, you know, guys that are gonna circle the wagons for them with guys like Harold Landry, like just they're big on culture. Yeah, they're big on that word. And if Carter is there again, it's a talent grab. It's a situation where you can't hesitate in my opinion, but it is a test. It's a little bit of a test of how much are they willing to bend in that department Because to me, the reason why Travis Hunter is getting some number two buzz now over Abdul Carter is that Travis Hunter is a perfect off and on the field football player he is. He eats breeze football. He always says like I have eight hours of sleep in sixteen hours to work on football, and like that's the type of guy that he is. He's a worker. He's very prepared. He does a lot of film study. His character is very well thought of.
Speaker 1: All he does. All he does is study football and play video games. That's really it. Yeah, Like he talked about this on College Game Day last year where he was like, I'm in the film room, I'm Matt practice, I'm in the workroom, and they're like, you must do something else. He's a streamer, that's you know what a lot of these kids do. That's what he does. But usually like he plays CFB twenty five like it's still a football game. So that he is it is really underrated. I would say the most underrated part about his game right now, just the general consensus what I read about him is how much of a student of the game he truly is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and if Abdol Carter isn't that And we're looking at the two of these players, and I think most people would agree either they're one two or two one, and they're both kind of equally graded. In that blue chip terrritory. Like these types of things, when you're making a pick that high can certainly sway you towards one player versus another. Do you think that Vrabel would concede on the culture stuff because Carter is just so overwhelmingly talented.
Speaker 1: Well, this is kind of a I don't want to do that. It's a catch twenty two. On one hand, he doesn't necessarily fit the culture that you're looking for, and that might be a red flag. On the other hand, isn't this part of why you build that strong culture Because if there is a guy that's so monumentally talented, and Bill did this again and again and again. If there is a guy that's so monumentally talented but maybe isn't exactly the person you wanted to be, the idea is you can get him in a room that's ninety ninety five percent guys that are all pulling in the same direction. You hope he's going to buy into that, that the culture will support him and uplift him. So now, it's one thing to do that ten years in. It's another thing to do what you're right. If we were having this conversation ten years into the raable tenure, i'd say, and things go the way we think they're gonna go, or he thinks they're gonna go, absolutely right. You bring them in and okay, like the culture is there, the program is instilled, and it's just gonna what is it, high tides, lift all boats or whatever, like it's gonna help me out year one. It's a little more of a risk. But the other argument is, this is why you build a strong culture. So when a guy like Abdull Carter is available with his talent, even if he's maybe he doesn't isn't as motivated as you want him to be, he's gonna have no choice but to change the way he operates when he gets in this building, because that's just how things are done in this building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, and and I think the other you know, conversation, I don't want to spend too much time on the character still because I don't know Abdul Carter, Like it's not my reporting, Like I don't know the guy's when you start to talk about why could he be falling? And that's sort of a conversation that's going around right now. This is the only reason why it's obviously not the tape right, like it's it's obviously not the foot player because we can all see how talented he is, but it might be some of this other stuff. I don't think it's the foot I I think that that's that's something that is.
Speaker 1: Oh no, he can't, he can't do half a mini camp. We got drive somebody else.
Speaker 3: Like, No, I don't think it's that. This to me is is one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Uh. If there's anything going on, it might be care I hate doing this stuff, but it also is it's important context, like we because we're projecting off the tape, right, but the one part piece of information that we don't have. We're not in the meeting rooms with these guys. Yeah, we and you hear coaches talk here and there, but everybody has an agenda, right, We don't have necessarily the full personality, mental makeup picture that the teams do. So we this happens every year. There's one or two guys I really like that fall and it's why do they fall? If if you thought they were so good? Has happened with Deman Jones a couple of years ago. You know, I thought he's gonna be an early second round pick. He went what mid fourth like early forth, Sometimes guys fall a little bit and it's like, already felt a little bit. Maybe I was wrong. There's a certain point where a guy falls to a level where it's like, clearly somebody knows something I don't know. And at this point I'll go with the somebody. Nolan Smith. We thought Nolan Smith was a clear cut first round pick and we were shocked when he felt like beyond the top twenty. What do you end up going third round? Right? You mean?
Speaker 4: Ni?
Speaker 1: Kobe Dean? N Kobe Dean, thank you? Yeah? Na Kobe Dean goes like very late in the draft, and then it comes out he had a shoulder injury that nobody knew about. And it's like if I had known that, I would have adjusted, but it wasn't out there. So yeah, I hate talking about this stuff, but it all it's the part of the picture that we don't have. So when we get these little nuggets of it, I do think it's worth the dressing. And it goes the other way too. It's not just to beat on guys like we've talked about, but the good things usually those are put out there because they're good and they want you to know, when we hear about like the leadership of certain players or things like that, how they are as a teammate. Like, the good stuff is going to be put out there, so we have a little bit more of that to talk about.
Speaker 3: Whether you think it's overblown or not with some of this stuff that comes out in these you know, McGinn style articles. Dan Brukler released the Beasts today. Usually Dan's a little bit more timid with some of this stuff.
Speaker 1: But if there is honest.
Speaker 3: Concerns about a player's you know, mental makeup. You know Javon Baker, I remember last year, you know, some of this stuff about his maturity and all that kind of stuff came in the Beast like that that he'll come out and say it too, right, And it's important because, like you said, we're on the outside looking in to this puzzle. We don't have all the information at hand, and when we will, you know, get our takes out. It's about the tape, it's about the film, it's about the player, and we have to realize that this other stuff is just as important to teams as the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we did. The only reason we don't talk about it is is we don't have it right, right, we will look and sometimes it ends up being Psyeah. Two years ago, teams were worried Christian Zalez was soft yeah, and he wouldn't make it, and he fell to fourteen, and then he fell to seventeen, and Annual fourteen he went over him. Kean White too, Kean waves another one. So sometimes it ends up being bs yeah in the at the end. But it impact we're talking about when we're talking about draft stock. It matters. And then you know I said it about Gonzales at the time, all right, it impacted this draft stock. I understand that. I didn't think it was going to impact him as a player. Those are two different conversations. Team screwed the draft up all the time. You have to consider that.
Speaker 3: So the other thing, as we segue into the next news item I wanted to bring up, I have zero hesitations about Abdul Carter playing defense, like not being like a tackle or a receiver an offensive player. I think the bad teams stay bad by passing on better players for needs. Right, any if you have a chance to get Abdul Carter now, you might look at me and say you think Mason Graham's a better prospect than Will Campbell or you think Jalen Walker is a bet. Those guys to me are in the same cluster. They're in the same stack, so need andsosition and positional value might be a little bit more heavily weighted when you're within a tier of players. Abdul Carter is in his own tier, different tier, right, So when we're talking about Abdul Carter over Will Campbell, or Abdul Carter over Ted McMillan or Tyler Warren or whatever the case may be, we're talking about a different level of prospect.
Speaker 1: Gent is in that tier with Kit, with Carter and Hunter. To me, he's just it's sure the running back thing. But like I so to case in point for the Giants, if it goes quarterback quarterback, they get to do the whole positional value and fit thing. Yeah, with Carter and Hunter. And that's why I think they would take Travis Hunter, even though Carter might be a little bit of a prospect. The one thing that kind of haves edge, So they get to do that. If you're the Patriots and it's Abdul Carter or the field, you don't get to do that or Travis Hunter in the field. You don't really get to do that because they're such different levels of player.
Speaker 3: And I like what the Patriots have done on the defensive line. Milton Williams is obviously a great player, a good sign Harold l Anders, a solid signing that's gonna be an NFL caliber starter that's gonna be plug and play and a defense he's familiar with. But they don't have it. They don't have a sack artist, like, they don't have a finisher. They to me Abdull Carter completes the defense like that's a cherry on top of the Sunday.
Speaker 1: We've talked so much about the coverage dictating wide receiver. Yeah, the blocking, dictating pass rusher. They don't have the Matthew Judon.
Speaker 3: Right, the jude On, you know, the pure one on one winner on the outside that's gonna have double digit sacks, right, I don't know if they have that.
Speaker 1: Who's the guy that's going to force offenses to do things differently? And boy, you drop Carter into the thing. Carter, Milton Williams, Christian Barmore. He is healthy, which probablys great to seem in the building this week. Ye can right for workouts? Well, I was just going to say, at all three levels, right, you talk about cornerstone players. Kean White will see you can get there, He's not there yet. Milton Williams, Christian Barmore, Abdul Carter, Christian Gonzales. That's a defensive core. Yeah, that is a true core that you can build around. And like, those guys are going to give you a really solid floor.
Speaker 3: When I look at the Patriots and then I promise we'll move on because and I spend a lot of time on this, but when I look at the Patriots in terms of, you know what, there are pillars of this team moving forward, Drake May, Christian Gonzalez and potentially Abdul Carter. Doesn't that feel a little bit like Stroud, Stingly and Will Anderson in Houston a little bit?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like it's very similar. Obviously, Drake May hasn't risen quite yet to the C. J. Stroud level. I wouldn't say Stingley and Gonzales both all pro corners. I think Will Anderson and Abdull Carter are adjacent in terms of talent and you know, just ceiling as prospects coming out of college. The Texans just did this right. The Texans just kind of put set themselves up for the next at least five years of being a playoff contending team.
Speaker 1: Well before they tore their offensive line apartment.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Now the difference is, and this is where we get into defense and some of the guys I'm I'm gonna mention with some of these recent visits that have been reported, the little bit of difference is that the Texans hit on Day two picks right, so that they hit on Dave two picks specifically on offense. I know he's been you know it hurt at times, but you know, tant Dell, Nico Collins, you know, players like that like you need to if you're gonna draft best available, which is what I think Houston pretty much did with Stingley and will Anderson.
Speaker 1: Well they moved up to get and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they he was the best player available and they moved up and got him. When you draft those types of players on one side of the football, you got to hit in rounds two through seven on some of the other positions that are going to be important to your offense. And Nico Collins is like a mid round draft pick that turns into one of the best receivers in football. You know, that's right, that's the type of thing you have to do. So along those same lines, the Patriots reportedly again over the last week or so, have met host did Mikel Williams and Shamar Stewart on thirty visits. Now, my instant reaction to that was, oh, well, they're stacking a trade down, right, Like if a trade down is their best option at four. And I'm not saying that they want a trade down or they have a trade down in place. I'm just saying if like, you have to come up with all the contingencies and be prepared for every single possible contingency that could come your way. So let's say they get the draft night, Abdul Carter and Travis Hunter go in the top three. They're sitting at four. The New Orleans Saints call, right, and they want Shador Sanders, So they're trading up for Shador Standers. You go back to nine. Who are what's your stack at nine?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like, who are the guys that you would be comfortable with taking at nine? And Mikel Williams and Shamar Stewart to me, would fit into that stack that range of the draft. Now, I'm definitely mikel over Shamar Stewart. I think Mikyle Williams is a much better football player than Shamar Stewart.
Speaker 1: Williams said McKay like the safety.
Speaker 3: I said, I don't know. Mike hal Williams.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's a better football player to me than Stuart. Stewart's a better athlete. Stuart's a one to one athlete, you know, absolutely rare tools and athleticism. But I didn't love what I saw on tape from Stewart. I thought he was stiff. It doesn't have a ton of bend off the edge, not gonna win with much finesse. You know, I really actually thought watching him that Will Campbell, you know, kind of ate his lunch. Like he really didn't give Will Campbell very many problems at all. You know, Guys like Kyle Knard, you know, his teammate Nick Scot and like some more twitched up guys that can you know, win with more speed and win with more finesse. Like those guys tended to give Will Campbell some problems. But to me right now, Shamar Stewart's a ball play. He's a risk I think for the Patriots shore to your point earlier if we were two, three, four years into this thing and they had somehow got into the you know, a top ten pick or a late top ten pick, and they want to give Rabel and Terrell Williams this ball of clay, you know, raw toolsy athletic pass rusher, you know, have at it. But I think the Patriots need to get on base with this draft pick as much as anything. They need to hit one right down the fairway. Mikel Williams, I think does that a little bit more, a little bit more college production, a little bit more translatable. I think to a four to three and you know he's a four to three base end, like that's what he is. Great length, you know, above average length in terms of arm length, and also stride length as well. I think is a good strength of his really good film against Kelvin Banks Junior. A trade down to nine ish in drafting Mikel Williams or you know, Jalen Walker, I know is getting some buzz as well.
Speaker 1: To get a nine. I feel like he's heat. That guy, screams Carolina Panther.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, either one of those guys, though, I'd be okay with in that scenario but what are your thoughts in the meeting with those guys, because I think Williams and again, I think Williams and Stewart are kind of in the no man's land for them, like it doesn't really feel like they're going to be in a position to draft those guys.
Speaker 1: Well, so, Stuart, I've seen some mocks that put them down into the twenties. Now, some of that is Mike Green going higher than expected with that, that's another guy that has some non football concerns. Yeah, some of those mocks have some other edge guys going earlier, but no, they're they're they want to be ready if a trade down comes. You can't get to nine and be like, shoot, we don't know anything about any of these guys, right, so you want to be prepared in that situation. It also might be something we've heard of this. Both those guys played in the SEC, right, Yeah, Hey, what you what did you think of well Campbell? Yeh? What was it like facing him? Kelvin Banks? What was that like? Going up against him like that? That's the best that can be some of the best intel you get literally talking the guys who are lined up on the other side. So it doesn't have to be one of the other. It could be both. Hey, we want to know about a trade back and also we're kind of interested in what this guy is to say about some of the tackles. So I don't hate it they're doing. They're due diligence. I see people freak out some time they're burning thirty visits. Thirty is a lot of visits, especially when you consider that, well, they don't have as much help with the local pro dates as like, there's no reason for the Cowboys to have a thirty Yeah, because you can. You can host players who are either I think it's what within ninety miles of your team facility.
Speaker 3: There's some like outside the lines with that in terms of like the lines, I mean literally like drawing the mileage lines, Like Yukon is a local visit for the Patriots, So I don't know if it exactly fits into the mileage, but they stretch it because they know there isn't a ton of college football.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys have the university, they have all those schools in Dallas, plus all the kids that are from that area that ARECU Baylor. Yeah, some of the Florida teams too, the Dolphins, the Jags. They have a nice advantage there. But yeah, that's a side rant. Yeah, no, I think it's just due diligence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: And it's also you know, it's a smoke screen too, like if they only met with Will Campbell, do they meet with Membo? So I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they have, but I don't know if.
Speaker 1: For thirty, But if you have Will Campbell visit and that's it, you kind of lose a lot of leverage if you're trying to make a trade or what have you. So yeah, get to know the top guys on the board.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting. Uh, you know, we hear these thirty visits and you mentioned that them knowing the opponents that they've gone up against. You know, Calvin Banks Junior is a good one. I don't know if if Williams ever faced Campbell maybe two years ago. They didn't play Georgia last year. I know that, But anyways, yeah, uh, maybe he has along the line. But I've heard that before that guys will get hosted for visits and they'll spend the entire visit talking about their teammate or talking about a guy they went up against. Usually it's a teammate. Like usually you're you bring in like you know, a quarterbacks receiver, recorder, you know, vice versa, and like you kind of use them to get to know the other player. But there's times where like they'll say, yeah, like they didn't ask me any questions about me, that they're asking me all questions about you know, Shador, They're asking me all questions about Travis Hunter. Like you know, it's something totally different. But I looked at that in my at face value and said, you know, if they if they orchestrated trade down here than those two guys. And I think in general, just having interesting interest in edge in general makes a lot of sense. And I know some people look at it and and want other positions and want them to fill other needs early in the draft. But it's a great edge class. And I would say that the Patriots still could use a young, you know, developing player there. You know, Harold Landry I think is good for now. He's he's going to be a good starter for them in the short term. Really opposite of Landry, you know, is it Kean White, you know, is he an outside guy? Is he really more just a rotational inside guy? You know, Chase On I think is really a situational pass rusher. I don't think he's a starting end for them, So drafting somebody at that position, I again, like going back to the Abdual Carter thing. I don't think it's crazy, Like I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, but I think in this draft, like they don't need to take that guy in the first round and get that guy. There's some really good Day two edge guys.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into my guys, and then we'll take the calls in the emails for the last hour or so here. Let's start with quarterback as we can kind of probably.
Speaker 1: Go pretty quickly. Just go to the first round. Yeah, first round, guys are out let me at real quick. Just aside from the Patriots. Who ends up being QB three and where does he go?
Speaker 3: Jackson Dart yep, mid to eight first like twenties.
Speaker 1: So I when I did my mock draft, I added, as Jackson Dart, I had the Giants moving up to I think twenty six to take them. I had them taking Hunter right and then Jackson Dart makes the most sense. Jalen Miller accepted that invite to the draft, so so I'm not se was surprising some people. I think he's no, no.
Speaker 3: I just quarterback. I gotta be honest. I just didn't really care too much about quarterbacks. So, uh, I liked what I saw.
Speaker 1: At Jillian Milroe though.
Speaker 3: And you know, most of these guys I just watched because I was watching other guys, and you obviously the quarterbacks, so you see them. I just look at Jalen Milroe. Uh, he's such a great athlete and uh he's got some zip on the ball. Like he's not a bad thrower either. That I think you can build an offense with Jalen Milroe. Like, it's gonna have to be specific to Jalen Milroe. It's gonna have to be, you know, similar to what the Eagles do with her, you know, and stuff like that, even you know, the Commanders with Jayden Daniels. It's gonna have to be specific to the player, and it's gonna have to be different, uh than you know, you're not gonna just plug him into a pro style NFL offense that goes under center and uh and does what NFL pocket quarterbacks do and expect it to work. But if you're crafty enough, if you're creative enough as an offensive mind.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think that there's so much raw talent there and raw ability, especially with his athleticism and his mobility, that I'd be willing to take a bet on Jalen Hurts in the second round.
Speaker 1: So, Jen, I'll give you a couple fits for Jalen Milroe for me. Yeah, one is the Saints if they move up in the late first right, Kellen Moore just did that with Jalen Hurts. The other one is the Browns because when Jaln Milroe had that breakout your album in twenty twenty three, who was his offensive coordinator? That wasn't Bill O'Brien Nope, twenty three. Oh Tommy Reese, who's now the OC in Cleveland. Yeah. I think Jaln Milroe or Will Howard should be the QB three in this draft because one has immense ceiling, one has a very solid floor. Jackson Dart to me is splitting the difference. I have no interest in splitting the difference. On day two. Give me an extreme, which extreme we could debate that and that's probably Team New Team. I think it should be Milroe. I really like Will Howard.
Speaker 3: I do I have Will Howard on my list too, as day two obviously as well. I don't know where Milroe is gonna fall in exactly, but I watched his doing like the QB school stuff. Again, he's great on the whiteboard, A smart kid, you know, can conceptually understands the game really well. I thought he throws a great ball like it you know, it's he's a pocket passer's big you know, six foot five, two hundred and thirty pound pocket passer. Throws a really good ball again, understands conceptually what the offense is trying to achieve, what he's reading, what he's seeing out there from the defense. I mean, he's probably not the most creative offscript guy or most mobile guy. He doesn't really.
Speaker 1: Have that in him move around a little bit.
Speaker 3: But I think that he's you know, like you said, maybe I don't know if you know, high floor, but like I just think that you run an offense with him right like you cat, he can really come in and step in and run an offense. Now, he's obviously going to have the concerns if you will, you know, similar to like Mac Jones at Alabama, Like was it just you know, Jamari Smith and all all these different people you know around him.
Speaker 1: He was pretty good at at Kansas State. Yeah he didn't have Ye, there's some guys on that team, but not the same level of talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I get that concern. Yeah, he's he's got a great offensive line, he's got Chip Kelly calling plays, he's got all worldwide receivers all over the place at Ohio State. But I just like the skill set and I think he's a guy that will make it work in the NFL. Probably won't be a ceiling quarterback. He's probably never gonna be like a top five quarterback in the league, but I think he could be a starter.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, should we do like Patriots guys? Now, Well, I was just I don't. I don't think the Patriots have any interest in any of these quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: I well, they're gonna add a quarterback because Josh McDaniels usually wants foreign camp, so that's they're gonna get their Trace McSorley veteran camp are right, I wouldn't be surprised they draft another guy to have him around imagency emergency third quarterback. Obviously, he's not gonna have the same physical tools as a guy like Joe Milton, so there's less concern there. There's two guys. I look at one and I know you hate this, and I've kind of dumped on this guy during the process. But for where the situation is now, it makes sense, and that's Brady Cook. Brady Cook was terrible in twenty twenty four. He was not good.
Speaker 3: Why Luther Burnden is not gonna go in the first round.
Speaker 1: Brady Cook in twenty twenty three was a baller. Brady Cook was awesome in twenty twenty three ball stretch. He was really he was better. He was he was one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC. In twenty twenty four. He was better. Teams are gonna look at it and say, what happened in twenty twenty four. If Elliott Wolf wants to repeat what he did with Joe Milton, Okay, we're gonna find a guy with some tools, with some sneaky upside, see if we can flip him. Brady Cook's got some mobility, he's got a big arm. It's not in the same stratosphere as Joe Milton, but nobody is right. Yeah, you want to try to bet on somebody that maybe can have a couple of good preseason games, you can flip. Brady Cook has flashed more than any of those guys late on Day three or the udfas are gonna flash. The other one is Max Brosmer from Minnesota, very experienced quarterback, a local guy, played at UNH for a few years, was dominant at UNH. Transferred to Minnesota last year and held his own. He looked like a solid. He wasn't unbelievable. But again, if you're just looking for somebody to be that emergency third quarterback on game day that maybe you can flip in a year or two, Brasmer is a little interesting to me. All right, Well that's your quarterbacks. You don't have anybody they're gonna go late in the draft. You must have one. Come on, now, watched all these wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I have no appeal for any of them, his quarterback coast thinks, And I have no appeal for any of them.
Speaker 1: Churizma.
Speaker 3: Now like maybe maybe, like you know, I could get talked into like a Curtis Roke or Brady Cook, like as like a seventh round you do.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, Like I'm not taking these guys, Curtis, I think.
Speaker 3: To me, kinder Minds reminded me a little bit of like Aidan O'Connell, Like he's just like gonna be like an NFL backup.
Speaker 1: Well he also he played all of last year on a twenty cl Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you're looking for somebody that is totally non threatening and is going to just fit into a back of what I'm saying, then Curtis Rourke I think makes the most sense.
Speaker 1: Curtis Rourke. Brady Rabel's gonna like Curtis Rourke, excuse me, because he has the intangibs. Let me give you one more quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: I think Brady Cook. It not that I don't want to do the whole Juem Milton thing again, but I.
Speaker 1: Think Brady He's not on that level.
Speaker 3: Brady Cook, though, has is more of like the tools upside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pick here.
Speaker 3: Curtis Rourke to me, is if you want a draft Chase Daniel, Like if you want to draft a career backup, who could back up? Who could back up Drake May for the next five years? Like this is Curtis Rurke. That that's Curtis Rourke and Bros. Murder me Brady Cooks a little more. If they want to see if they can flip another quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one more quick quarterback take because I've seen people bring up Garrett Green from West Virginia and Tommy Mellett from Montana State and say, hey, you can bring these guys in. They can be the third quarterback and maybe they can play receiver. Garrett Green's like five to eleven. Tommy Mellett's a smaller guy who was an option quarterback in Atanta State. Again, well, so here's what I'd say. I don't think either of those guys are gonna be Julian Needelman because Julian Edelman's wonted to mill. But if you want to try it and they're both, I don't think either one's gonna get drafted. If you want to try it as UDFA, I'm not opposed to it, fine, but there if you're doing that for them to play wide receiver, in them to learn how to play wide receiver, you can't do Malie Cunningham again, where all right, we're gonna play a little bit of quarterback are and to play them a little bit of No, if you want to develop those guys a wide receiver, you develop them as a wide receiver, they're not playing quarterback. They're not gonna wear non contact jors e. They're not going to be the emergency third quarterback on game day. If you're adding those guys, you're adding them as receivers.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's enough quarterback. That's that's there's the last point I want to get out. Let's get to running backs. So we did day one, Day two, Day three. That's how we kind of split this up with each position. This is my guy and a take all in one. Oh boy, okay, you're ready for this. Yeah, So my Day one running back is Travon Henderson because I think Travon Henderson might go in.
Speaker 1: The first round.
Speaker 3: Okay, because two reasons just for the Patriots are in general, just in.
Speaker 1: General, but I also love him.
Speaker 3: For the Patriots, it's probably doesn't make sense for them to draft him just where he's gonna go. You know, they at best are gonna get him at thirty eight, right, So, like you know, I think it's gonna be long gone by the time you wrap back around into the third round. But Travon Henderson, to me, for two reasons, I think that he might get drafted in the late fur round. One, he's just a fluid, explosive, big play machine, right. You know, he's got all of the the tools in the world to be just breaking off big play after big play in the run and in the past game, you know, screens, routes out of the backfield, like he can do all of that. This is, you know, coupled with the fact that it's a it's a copycat league. Yea, the Lions just did this with Jamiir Gibbs. And I look at Traveon Henderson, I don't think he's quite as.
Speaker 1: Fast as Jamiir Gibbs.
Speaker 3: Like I think Jamior Gibbs had a little bit more juice than Henderson, but Henderson's close. And I think that the best cop for him is probably more like bris Hall than it is Jamiir Gibbs. But I think that he's got some shades of Jamiir Gibbs in his game. And if you're one of these teams copycat League, I would not be surprised if somebody grabs Trevon Henderson thinking that he's the next Jamier Gibbs. And also just quickly Jamier Gibbs got overdrafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, relatively consensus.
Speaker 3: He got drafted a lot higher than people expected. So I think that that could also be happening here with trade first.
Speaker 1: Round running backs from Evan I love it. Yeah, so I did this more with Patriots in mind. First round guy, Amari and Hampton, you want to make your young quarterback happy. We've talked a lot about trading up from thirty eight for a tackle or a receiver whatever. If he falls, you know, twenty two, twenty three, twenty four, move up get him in addition of you know, a tackle or whoever at the top of the first round, and that that would be my first round guy. I don't think Anderson's going to go that high, so I guess he's my first round guy too. Genty just feels Genty's not the kind of guy that can be my guy because everybody knows how good Ashon Genty is.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised and is going to blow you away. This is just like a like a bold prediction. Yeah right, this isn't an actual take. It's just kind of a bold prediction. I love amar and Hampton. I've loved him since I saw him, you know, last year, But he is more of like a linear runner. He's a little bit tighter hipped he doesn't quite have the game breaking speed that Traveon Henderson does. Like, I just wouldn't be shocked if Travon Henderson goes a lot earlier than people are expecting, because somebody wants a speedback in particular, right, not you know, a work course like Omrion Hampton's. The appeal of Amario and Hampton is the volume that he's going to be able to take on. If you're looking for somebody that's going to be more of a game changer in terms of play speed and big playability, then that's more like like Travon Henderson all right, Day two running backs, I think you would know this for me. I love Dylan Samson from Tennessee. I really think that he's the best Day two running back in the range for the Patriots, maybe with their first third round pick if they get lucky and he makes it that far. I just think he's a really efficient runner, but he also has plenty of creativity and plenty of speed to break off big plays. There are some concern there with the wonky offense at Tennessee and the light boxes and all that kind of stuff, but he grated out really well against all different types of boxes. And I think the one thing about Tennessee's offense is they underutilize past catching running backs thrount of the running back a ton. I think in the NFL, Dylan Sampson's gonna be an even better pass catcher than he was in college, just because teams will use him in that vein. He's probably at his best in like a David Montgomery Jamir Gibbs style platoon right where he's got like a thunder and lightning thing going on with somebody. And that's from Andre Stevenson for the Patriots. So if they're gonna go round three running back and they want to find a compliment to Remandre, I feel like Dylan Samson's the best ball of both worlds there.
Speaker 1: So my guy on day two, I think people can guess this is Quinn Shawn Judkins. I just think he's I love the way he runs. He's old school man. For the Patriots specifically, though it has to be Sampson. Yeah, I think you put him with Dermandre Stevenson. That's that's just such a dynamic backfield. You're getting a little bit of everything with those two. I think he can probably play that pass catching back role and then do a little bit more on top of that. So for me, it's it's Sampson at sixty nine. Makes all the sense in the world. Yeah, So day three, I don't know, there's so many options.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a run of running backs at somewhere in the late third, early fourth round. So that's the cutoff for day two day three, So I don't know how specific you want to get with that.
Speaker 1: You know, if r J.
Speaker 3: Harvey is there on day three though, like that's my guy.
Speaker 1: I think RJ.
Speaker 3: Harvey reminds me a ton of Dion Lewis, right, just a low center of gravity, a great jump cut ability, really elusive, thirty two runs of over fifteen yards last year. Explosive guy. I think he's going to be able to do that in the passing game as well. Smaller, like not a volume back necessarily, but I think he's someone that really has a lot of explosiveness and can still run between the tackles. If you want to go a little bit later because you feel like Harvey might be third round pick and not again into the fourth round. Brishard Smith from SMU is really appealing coverage. Yeah, converted wide receiver goes to SMU, turns into a running back ran a four to three nine, but still has all of the wide receiver skill, ball skills, route running ability, can right run routes from the slots. How about you know, I see a little bit of Jared McKinnon, Well, Jet McKinnon. Niam Hines like another one that I kind of thought of a little bit of.
Speaker 1: Him as well. I mean, like obviously not when he was here, but like prime time time Montgomery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see that too.
Speaker 1: I have another converted receiver.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's quite as as bouncy as as Jet McKinnon. Like McKinnon is like a jitterbug. I don't know if he quite has that.
Speaker 1: He's more straight line. Yeah, So that's why I kind of thought of Niame Hines. So I'm just gonna because there's so many running backs, I'm just gonna use this opportunity to ask why more people are not talking about Kyle Manong. Guy. I feel like it's Isaiah Pacheco all over again. Yeah, Like, come on, he runs mean, he runs angry, He's faster than people think he can handle himself in the passing game. I really like Kyle mno on guy, but my guy for the Patriots. You know, I gotta go with laquin Dallen Syracuse or Wood he marks like Luquindallen, Wood, he marks Purshard Smith. Give me one of those three guys to play the James White role. I will be very happy if they get one of those three guys and he catches sixty balls in a season. Awesome, Like that's what I want from that. And then they had a bowling ball back later, great like a film offa But just give me one of those pass catching guys.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because you know we're doing our big boards. Douce and I do dueling big boards. And when I started to do the running backs, I don't worry. I put a lot of running backs on there. I know they're gonna draft a running back. We all know it because I put a lot of running backs on there. And I just can't get mister Kraft out of my head. Speedback right? Not not Damien Martinez.
Speaker 1: Right, We're not going Davian Martinez would be fun.
Speaker 3: We're not going power between the tackles here.
Speaker 1: I even I won't. Why not both? You don't think I think there's a real chance they draft two running backs, Yeah, bigger Bowl high.
Speaker 3: Like in the four to third fourth, like a Pierre Strown Kevin Harris Reducks, but better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do you get because the past catching backs are all later unless they want Simpson Samson. Yeah, the pass catching backs all projected to go later. Yeah, I mean get Damien Martinez are an allibordonate one oh six or even maybe at seventy seven, or even Caleb Johnson if he falls right at seven. He said, that's a fall, but somebody's gonna Caleb.
Speaker 3: Johnson is a little bit more of his own back by here, and then.
Speaker 1: You get that passing down back later. And now you have if McDaniels is going to go back to splitting them. Stevenson Rookie one is your early down, Gibson Rookie two is you're passing down and your set like that's I think that's if it were up to McDaniels. Not if it were up to McDaniels, but like all other things aside, if McDaniels could set the running back room up like that, he'd be very happy. Now, there's other things you have to do that may prevent you from doing that, but I think that's what McDaniels would like to runningack room to look like all.
Speaker 3: Right, wide receiver, Day one, Day two, Day three again at wide receiver. I'm just gonna take this opportunity to do once again to say Travis Hunter is a wide receiver like that, that's.
Speaker 1: My I think that's clear.
Speaker 3: That's my Day one guy, Travis Hunter, wide receiver. I think one of the big things that has irked me the most this draft season is hearing that Travis Hunter is a raw route runner, Like this is just drive me up a wall.
Speaker 1: Show me a college receiver that isn't.
Speaker 3: But it's different buckets, right, Like there's wide there's wide receivers that win as technicians, yeah, and there's wide receivers that win because they're built different, Like Travis Hunter is in the built different category.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of the things that you hear about him and read about him as a wide receiver, you know, they right remind me a lot of like Molik Neighbors, Odell Beckham Junior like guys like that when they were coming out that no, if you wanted to put teach tape up of how to run a dig like, they might not be the ones that you would put up on the film, like maybe you'd go up and get like a Ladd McConkey right to run a route and show a sixth grader how to run an out right Like that might not be your guy, but if you want guys that have unreal place to be, great ball skills, great ability to change directions in suddenness, a gear changes, I think is a really underrated skill for wide receivers or guys that can tempo routes and have different gears that they can get to, because that can really make corners uncomfortable. Travis Hunter does all of those different things as a wide receiver, So I'm just excited that that take is becoming more popular and becoming a lot more of a head of steam, especially after his pro day when he only ran routes and didn't do any cornerback drills. So one last time, in my guys, Travis Hunter is a wide receiver at the next level.
Speaker 1: So Travis is like Genty, like Travis Hunter is Travis Hunter. He's not like my guy because it would be like Travis Hunter. So I'll go to talk about somebody You're gonna put the TEP tape on teach tape on, I'll go Matthew Golden. I'm to keep pounting the table for him. I understand the production is not there compared to your typical first round wide receiver. This is not your typical draft, and I just think he showed up big in the biggest games and I value that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great route runner and he might be in in the doughnut as a deuce, and I have been calling it like right in between picks right four and thirty eight. But if you had to come up with the wide receiver for Josh McDaniels, like, Matthew Golden is kind of that kind of guy because he's a really good route runner and he's a smart round runner, is very technically sound, but he still has a ceiling to him because of his speed and the ball skills. So I like Matthew.
Speaker 1: Everybody likes very competitive, like he's I think he's wired right.
Speaker 3: So on day two, yeah, I think we're both going to say names that we both really liked. That we're both in contention for my guy. For me, at least, I won't speak for you.
Speaker 1: One x one slot.
Speaker 3: Uh No, I just had one Day two guy. Oh maybe maybe you could say, but no, I just feel like you're going to say a name and that I I almost said, anyways, Jayalen Noel is my guys. Oh okay, so maybe I'm surprised you.
Speaker 1: Thought I was gonna sayway I did? All right, Well, yeah those are the two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was between those two. Yeah, you know, similar but different. You know, Jaylen Nowell I think is a pure zer, pure slot receiver. But I just I was blown away by his tape the first time through that I watched it. I was not expecting that kind of athlete or that kind of separator at the third level of the defense. I thought that this was going to be Lad mcconkee, reducs right, like a just a good crafty wide receiver. That's good route runner, that's heady, that's smart, that's tough. He is a lot of those things. But this is a guy that has true vertical stretch, like he has three level speed. He's very very fast. He's a great athlete. Tested through the roof, I think that took a lot of people by surprise. The you know, aris score that he put up and all that kind of stuff. He was fantastic throughout the whole process, great Senior Bowl Week, great combine, great tape at o Iowa State, his final season. The only knock on Jalen Noel is that he's more of an inside guy, right, Like he's probably not going to give you the outside reps full. I still stick to Tyler Lockett as my com I still feel like that's the speed slot com for him. But I was close with Kyle Williams. I just wish that I had gotten to him earlier and kind of discovered him right to the hesitation that I had with Kyle Williams. And this is probably unfair, and this probably is just a was a me thing, not a himn thing. I just didn't come away from Senior Bowl Week with him circles like I didn't notice him as much as I wanted to notice him. You know, I noticed with strepbo for the wrong reasons, no offense. I noticed the tow Iowa State guys for.
Speaker 1: The right reasons.
Speaker 3: I just felt like I never saw Kyle Williams.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why, because he was like the last guy up on every rep. Maybe that was why you were like mentally checking. I'm telling you, I bet that's what it was. I bet that's what.
Speaker 3: I don't remember Kyle Williams being there.
Speaker 1: I'll beat you wouldn't know if you watched it on TV that kept cutting away from him. Again.
Speaker 3: I literally don't remember him being there.
Speaker 1: The honest knocks on Kyle Williams. For me, as big of a fan as I am, his an older prospect. He's a late breakout guy. He has kind of four years old right, twenty three years old. He was decent in twenty twenty three. Last year was the year that he really took off, and his numbers are insane. But this is a guy that can get open at all three levels, can create after the catch. He's probably a little bit of a higher floor, lower ceiling player, but I still think he's a decent ceiling. But I'll take the high floor for this team at this point. But with Noel like as much as I like Kyle Williams, you give Josh McDaniels Jalen Nowell and you put him in that Julian Edelman role with the pop he has after the catch. I just think that this ceiling there is tremendous. I really do. And I don't know if this is a hot take at this point or not specifically for the Patriots. I guess it could be different for different teams. I'll take Jalen Noel over Jaydon Higgins if they're debating between the Iowa State guys, Like Noel's higher on my list for them than Higgins is.
Speaker 3: So I have all three of these guys, you know that you mentioned Higgs and Higgins, like in one tier, I haven't Noel Higgins Kyle Williams, but like I have Noel over Higgins, and I'm surprised that that's not a more popular take. I just think Noel runs her out so a lot more urgency and a lot more dynamic movement, right, Like he's not an outside guy. Yeah, and maybe that's why people just like the size outside with Jayden Higgins. But Jayden Higgins does not play to a four four seven. I'm sorry, he just doesn't. He doesn't play that fast. And so you know, I thought he was gonna be a mid four fives guy. I thought if he ran a four or five to two, that was gonna be a great time for him. He ran a four four seven on a fast track. But I just I look at these two guys with Williams and Noel, their route running ability, their separation, it's different. I think Noel is a technician. I think Williams is a pure separation.
Speaker 1: Williams is that like he and he's not Travis Hunter. But like what you were talking about before, he just he it's not technical. He just gets open. Yeah, he reads it, well, he moves well all of that. One more day too, receiver before you move on. Yeah, now that you've actually watched, because we've talked about the sky a few times, but I don't think you had gotten him yet, at least not in depth. Saving on Williams. Where are you at with Savian?
Speaker 3: I love Save On Williams. I watched him in the in the first run. Interesting, I'm a big fan of Saveon Williams. It's gonna take some creativity, it's gonna take right the right fit in terms of the offensive coordinator to get the most out of him. Like if the forty nine ers took uh Save On Williams and turned him into Deebo Samuel like, he would be a problem. I mean, yeah, that's gotta be the comp absolute problem. I think Cordell Patterson's a decent as well in terms of that, but he's got a little bit more ball skills, I would say, then Cordero Patterson did.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: We were not into the draft yet with Patterson, but from well that was eighteen, right, Well that I mean when he was with the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're right, yeah, why do I remember doing a draft show about Cordero Patterson?
Speaker 3: But Patterson I don't remember him having the contested catchability and the stuff that save On Williams puts on tape. But Cordero Patterson was probably a little bit faster in a straight line than Savion Williams. But Williams got juice, he's got size, he's got contested catchability. He's just not a great route runner, and he's got a lot of focus drops on tape. He's got way too many drops. But he's a fun, fun player, you know, if you have him in the right role, And maybe Josh McDaniels remembers Cordial Patterson in twenty eighteen and can kind of do the similar thing. I like Xavion Williams a lot. It's just this specific type of player.
Speaker 1: We might have to do early day three, late day three for vers.
Speaker 3: Okay, so, uh my late my day three guy, which was kind of a joke and then kind of also serious.
Speaker 1: Is it? Uh Thornton? Dante Thornton. No, it was close. He was on the short list. I'm coming around on Nante Thornton.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's do early day three and late so we can get to that. Ted Johnson, I still believe. I will not quit Tez Johnson, I will not quit.
Speaker 1: I will not quit.
Speaker 3: He's gonna. I think Dante Jordan Thornton is gonna get drafted later, uh than than Tess. I still think Ted is like a fourth round pick.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's quick, not fast. We've confirmed that. Yes, he's tiny, I get that. Uh, he's quick, not fast. I still feel like he's Tank Dell, and I still feel like he is going to overcome all these doubts about him and have a nice NFL career. What he's gonna happen is exactly what's happened with Tank Dell. He's gonna get drafted, he's gonna have it awesome, like first eight weeks of his rookie season, and he's gonna tear every single ligament in his knee and that's gonna be it.
Speaker 1: For him the end of the year. And that's a good pick. No.
Speaker 3: I just think that he's a good football player and if he.
Speaker 1: Can stay healthy, good college football player.
Speaker 3: If he can stay healthy, and I know it's amazing major if, but if he can stay healthy, I think he's gonna be a good football player.
Speaker 1: My early day three guy, I could go to Dante Thornton kind of coming around. I think he'll go early day three. To me, he's like one seventy five and up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a good Dante Thornton Colm for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, but we haven't talked a lot about this guy. I thought we were gonna talk a lot about him throughout the draft, and we really haven't. I'm still believe in Tory Horton. Yeah, he got hurt this year. That hurt his stock. He probably should have transferred out of Colorado State. I respect him for not doing it, but he probably should have. He's a true X. He plays with some pop, he's hyper competitive. He's worth a flyer. To me, he's worth a flyer. You know it. It Maybe one oh six is a little high, but maybe with one of those one forty picks, if he's still on the board, he'd probably need a trade and get into like the one twenties one thirties. I like Tory. I'm not totally out on Tory Horton. I don't think he's gonna be a top one hundred pick like he was projected to be, nor should he. But I'm not totally out on Tory Horton like some people are.
Speaker 3: I think, Okay, that's fair enough. Alright, let's get the Dante Thorton who was on my list, Yeah, a short list. I think it was between him and Tes Johnson, but I wanted to get the Tes Johnson, uh Shenanigans in there. Dante Thorton is the Joe Milton of wide receivers.
Speaker 1: No, Savian Williams is the Joe No, I've made this comparison. Williams an interesting player in the draft.
Speaker 3: Save On Williams is way more refined as a receiver than Joe Milton.
Speaker 1: But he's the most interesting player in the draft. That's Dante Thorpon beside Travis Hunter. Is Joe Milton of wide receivers. Explain it.
Speaker 3: He has all of the tools, Like, if you wanted to program a wide receiver in a lab, it would be Dante Thornton. But he's not actually very good at football.
Speaker 1: All right, So this is that he's good at all the individual things you need to be good at football. He's not good at football.
Speaker 3: He's got legitimate breakaway speed, like not not like, oh, he just runs a good forty breakaway speed. He has a legitimate NFL you know, football speed play speed. He's six foot four, two and five pounds. He's not Taekwon Thornton. He's not one hundred and eighty pounds soaking wet. He's got size.
Speaker 1: He's got speed laterally better than Thornton can. Can he get over them? No? All right, well that's a skill.
Speaker 3: But he My point is is that there's a ton of raw talent with this player. He played at Tennessee, so that also fits a little bit true. He has a Waukee offense just like Joe Milton did at Tennessee. He runs like three routes. He runs a shallow, he runs an in or it under or a slant, and he runs a go like that's it. That's his entire route. Tree are slants and go balls in the in the occasion, you know, a hitch route as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, so those are his four routes.
Speaker 3: But he takes a slant, you know, he takes a five step slam, a glance route, skinny post and he takes that thing eighty yards to the house when you hit him in stride with it. And there's only so many people on planet Earth can do that, just like there's only so many people that can throw the ball as far in as heard as Joe Milton. There's only so many people that run as fast as as Dante Thornton.
Speaker 1: Look if he can, if the plan is to bring him in and have him be like tamere Bird, Nelson Agilor just running go routes on the side to keep other teams honest, and you're getting him at like one forty something in yeah, and we got it, not not above me, get not above that. And I don't think that he solves any long term issues at Receiver, but for this year where they don't have a true X and they don't have a lot of speed, you want somebody to keep teams on again, Uh to mere Bird, that's the comp and de mere Bird was just kind of out there to keep teams. He's much bigger, but role wise wise, right, Nelson aguil Or that role and he's doing it with more size and maybe run a couple of rounds to him, fine in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he that that. That's the take with Thornton though, because I think a lot of people, first of all, like I want to hang on.
Speaker 1: If they draft a tall, fast guy named Thornton, you know what it takes. He's not saying they're right, but you know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: He's Dante Smith from now on, because I don't want to hear about the stupid thing about his last name. But I'm just picked a generic last name because all you people are making such a big deal out of the fact that his last.
Speaker 1: Name is Thornton.
Speaker 3: Again, Thornton's crazy. He's like twenty five pounds heavier than Taekwan Thornton.
Speaker 1: Like, he's like, look, you're not wrong, they're different players, but it's gonna be objectively funny.
Speaker 3: He to me is like late round fire DK metcalf Right, Like he's He's obviously not DK.
Speaker 1: Meckis just twitched up, big.
Speaker 3: Fast, big explosives outside of Joe Milton comp I don't hate Oh no, it's he's it's still saving Williams. No, it's definitely not all right. Let's get the tight ends. Ago Wall late late day three Okay, I thought we're doing Dante Thorton.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that was like in the middle. No. I have one more guy that's not getting talked about enough. Okay, and I've talked about a lot on Patriots pet I haven't talked a lot about him. Here, Isaac Taslot from Arkansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's getting some buddy.
Speaker 1: So another guy, big six four two twelve, great straight line speed, excellent job tracking the ball. Sounds like an X right. Yeah, he almost exclusively plays the slot, so you're gonna have to teach him to do some more things underneath. But he's good down the field, he brings good speed, he's great on special teams. This is again a late later pick, one of those one seventy picks. Right, if you can develop his underneath game, you're talking about a guy who profiles profiles. Now the mental side of it. This other guy had in leaps and bounds, so that would have to catch up profiles like a faster Jakobe Myers. There's gonna be some work for him to get there, but that's kind of what the path would be for me for Isaac to sloth. And he's gonna be really good on special teams. I got a com Okay, Andre Yoshivas with the Bengals. I think he's faster, but that's not a bad comp Yeah, that's what I saw. I think he's maybe I'm underrating how fast Yoshavas.
Speaker 3: Is, but yeah, Yoshavas is like a big slot that can stretch the field vertically up the seam. You know, he's not going to run by people on the outside, but he has enough juice to do it inside.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: That was that was sort of what I saw. Uh with Tesla, I think you're right though, he's he's picking up some steaks, and.
Speaker 1: You know what if you get that guy and he ends up in the one seventies and he ends up being your third wide receiver. Again, this isn't the guy that's going to solve all their wide receiver problems. Yeah, I'm just looking up. So Yoshavas he has sixt three two O five. He ran a four to fourth He ran a four to fourth three. Okay, reduce to slot. Literally ran a four to four three? Did you pull that off? Off? Mock draftable? I mean, you know, did you I do? I did? Okay, I do my homework, Yeah, you did? I do my homework. Six three two five versus six four two fourteen for uh tesla.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, there's your comp All right, let's get to the phones and then we'll come back to the rest of the positions because we still got a little ways to go, and these people have been waiting online for on hold, I should say for a while. Patty is an agu on what's up?
Speaker 1: Patty?
Speaker 5: What is gentlemen?
Speaker 1: So how we doing?
Speaker 5: I'm doing good? So I just want to I just want to make it clear, like I'm on record thinking that Hunter and Carter are gonna be gone by the time we pick, and I'm all in on Will Campbell if that's gonna be the pick at for if we can't move down. Actually, I don't like the I don't like the thought of moving down because I think we might miss out and I don't mind Jalen Walker, like if we do move down and miss Will Campbell. But I just wanted to read you guys a couple just a couple of things real quick. And this is from why It Brooks sec Scout. The tape shows that technically or fine blocker who's ready to start from day one at tackle, not not guard tackle, and like at the end of his breakdown, and I got this at NFL draft blows dot com. So the very the very last paragraph he rights after studying the film, moving Campbell inside would be a mistake. Despite this, shorter arms, the exceptional technique, recovery ability, demand a shot at tackle. And I know that's just one man's opinion, and we're kind of getting you know, some people that are sitting on the fence. And then you got guys like Daniel Jeremiah who says, yeah, plant tackle. The short arms don't like really pose a threat or like a concern to me. And really before, Evan, you said this weeks ago, a couple of weeks ago, and you brought it up last week too, Like there's never been a discussion about wingspan until this year. You know, this prospect why why, you know, why is the big picture?
Speaker 4: I'm not seeing it?
Speaker 5: You know, why why is all this craft coming out now? And you know, I think if we get him Noel, I've you know, I've said this on PU Evan, Noel's my guy. I want him in the second round. If we can get those two guys and possibly Mason Taylor on day on day two, I'll walk away from this draft a happy man, that is, with the caveat of Hunter and Carter gone. And last night I want to touch on Alex Yep little Quick none, your co host on PEB. If he ever starts his own podcast, I think he should call it Hindsight or Patriots hind Site.
Speaker 3: That's it, is that, Brian?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Nice? Nice? Uh?
Speaker 3: I think, uh, you know, the Carter thing with wingspan or Campbell so many names.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The Campbell thing with wingspan is brought up because it's such an outlier, right Like if it wasn't such a major outlier, you know of mock draft, uh, mock draftible had another tackle that was in the same you know, stratosphere as him in terms of our of wingspan, then we wouldn't be talking about it as much.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 3: And I think that the number one thing that I keep coming back to with Will Campbell, I've been you know, pretty consistent other than the stupid combine, I've been pretty consistent about about about him playing at tackle and sticking at tackle. And I think the one thing that I would just say about it is that is he going to be Jonathan Ogden? Is he going to be Orlando Pace?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, he's not going to be one of those types of guys. But what, in my opinion, he's going to be is a very solid NFL left tackle for the future for a long term. And in this draft, in this level of talent class, that's a good.
Speaker 1: Pick, and that's a good pick at that.
Speaker 3: Position because he is, uh, you know, a comp that I came up with recently I liked a little bit better, you know, like a Jake Matthews type. Jake Matthews is not a future Hall of Famer, he's not a ever been like a multi time All Pro or anything like that. But he's been a quality starter for like a decade in Atlanta and the Falcons have not thought twice about left tackle since the day that they drafted him, And that, to me is is all you're looking for in this kind of draft, and I think that Will Campbell can be that.
Speaker 1: At that position where there's there's not enough think about it this way, there's not enough human beings on the planet needed to fully staff the NFL for left tackle. Yeah, they're just aren't. So if you get a guy that can do it for eight to ten years at least, who is of that level, maybe not above it, but of that level, that's a win in this draft especially, that's a win. I told Nate Solder Matt Light like, just guys that you're not gonna talk about replacing them. He's there, he's good. Set it and forget it. You move on. You can build the rest of the team. It's been seven years they've trying to been trying to find a guy to play there. They have a guy, and they did before, but they have a guy now too. They really need to protect. Yeah, it's yeah, just get them, Just just get them and we can stop work about this.
Speaker 3: So I've been looking around for a comfort for Campbell for a while.
Speaker 1: It's Jake Matthews.
Speaker 3: It is Jake Matthews. Is what I'm settled on. And I'll pull up the number because Jake Matthews. It wasn't quite Will Campbell short in terms of wingspan, but his wingspan was also under under eighty inches, right, So he was on the shorter side in terms of wingspan, on the shorter side in terms of armlane. He's been in the league for eleven years, he's made one Pro Bowl. So this is not this is not Jonathan Ogden, right, like, this is not Joe Thomas. This is not an all time great player at the position. But again, for eleven years, the Atlanta Falcons have not thought about who's our left tackle. Right, they know who their left tackle is. And if that's what Will Campbell ends up being, then I'm perfectly fine with that. I said earlier that you know, something that's irking me is with Travis Hunter and the rawness and the unpolished receiver label that he's getting. Something that is irking me right now about the Will Campbell discourse is well, he's not Jonathan Ogden or Joe Thomas, and you don't you know that's what you want if you're drafting at four.
Speaker 1: Cool, if that guy was in the raft, I'll tell you to take him right.
Speaker 3: It was great to want things right. That's not the talent pool that we're working with. It's irrelevant that he's not that kind of pross just as a hole across the board like, well he's not.
Speaker 1: And you hear it with him, You hear it with with Keat McMillan, you hear it with Mason Graham. You hear what the lot he said. If he's not really what you want at the fourth overall pick, Yeah, if Malik Neighbors was in this draft, I'd be pounding the table for them to take him it for right, I would that guy doesn't exist. If you can trade down, great, but if you can't. Once again, you can't just tell Roger Goodell Pencilson for next year, right, we're gonna we're gonna pass, We're gonna take up. But you can't. You got it. You can only pick from the players who are available. Right. That's and yeah, it sucks that that they're picking high in a crucial year and a year where the draft isn't great. That sucks. You can't. It's not mad and where you can go load in another draft file. This is what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't really understand that reference, but mad for it.
Speaker 1: Like, you can upload custom draft, but you can either have it generate one for you, or you can upload custom ones. So some people if they're doing a franchise and like the custom draft isn't good, you can have it. You can either upload one somebody made or just have it create a new one. You obviously can't do that.
Speaker 3: So you can just say you can. You can create a new one that has like all ninety.
Speaker 1: Nine if you want or won this year lady. But yeah, but then what's the fun in it? All? Right?
Speaker 3: Kendall is in North Carolina? What's up, Kendall?
Speaker 5: Hey, how you guys doing good?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 6: Yes, just but both of y' all want to know what's y'all good feeling right now? I'll have the first three picks to go. And my second question is we visit with a wide receiver today from Auburn. I got his name or y'all familiar with it, and I'll take it up there. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the call, Kendall. My gut feeling right now on one two three. Ward Carter Hunter same, that's my gut feeling. I don't totally buy into, you know, the thing we spent the first twenty minutes of the show talking about with Abdual Carter falling in this draft. I don't totally buy into that totally yet. If it's not Ward Carter Hunter LB, Ward Hunter Carter, I think those three guys are the first three picks in the draft. I do not think the Browns are the Giants. Are anny get duped by drafting quarterback, you know, with Shador I think at this point everybody says people get silly with quarterbacks, you know, they use Pennix and bo Nick's going higher than expected last year. I almost think at this point that the Browns and the Giants need to look They feel like they might look sparterer by passing on Shadore than taking Shador because if they take Shadoor, everybody's gonna be It's gonna be Daniel Jones right like it's on draft night. Everybody's gonna be like, what are this is a bad pick?
Speaker 1: Like what are you doing?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: They might end up being right in three years, but like Brian Dable and Joe Shane aren't gonna be there in three years to be right about it, like they're gonna be out. So I just wonder if maybe, you know, they end up just passing. There's a lot of buzz right now on those two teams, specifically, you know, doing their homework on Jackson Dart, doing their homework on Jalen Milrow, doing their homework on Will Howard. You know, those guys are all been in thirty visits in all those places too, And I wonder if they're one or both of those teams is gonna say, let's just get the guy at the top of the second around. You know, let's try Will Levis Right. It doesn't worked out, but it's a you're thrown a dart and let's just try something else, all right.
Speaker 1: Also, the guy they met with projected late day three picks fast guy from Auburn.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a lot, there's a lot of that. Remember Anthony Schwartz.
Speaker 1: Oh you you were big on Anthony Schwartz.
Speaker 3: Sast guy from Auburn. Yeah, all right, Brad is in Ohio. It's up, Brad.
Speaker 7: Hey you doing guys? Hey talk.
Speaker 2: A couple of quick days. I want to run by the players, and he looked into them.
Speaker 8: I'll just spit some out.
Speaker 2: First of all, the cornerback cast and found three ms birk and then a defensive tax was getting west from Indiana and then running back my first pick. He's I've gotten slower running backs like John from Iowa just because I watched him play, and I would like hand junk and from you from the state and tell me he's gonna.
Speaker 9: Be a.
Speaker 1: Brad.
Speaker 3: I got sorry there, Brad, if you want to email us. In the names, I heard some of them. I think he was mentioned Denzel Burke from all.
Speaker 1: So Denzel Burke's really interesting one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's kind of one of those guys that kind of reminded me of like Sean Wade's career arc right where there was a lot of hype for him and then he didn't have the year that the people were expecting last year. The only thing that I you know, I I did watch him, and the only thing that I had a little bit of concerns about was was top end speed, Like, I don't know if he's Yeah, I don't know if he's quite the fastest guy on the outside.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of penalties too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that might have been because of that, you know, him grabbing and him getting a little bit antsy. But uh, he he's well versed in different coverages, certainly seen a lot of really good competition over the years. He's kind of a solid guy. I just wouldn't necessarily say that he's got a highest ceiling. He's probably more of a floor.
Speaker 1: So I think it's the opposite. He's one of these guys like Bill would have drafted him. Bill absolutely, because one of the things that Patriots would do on Day three, they drafted a couple guys like this. They would go find and this Honestly, this kind of player is gonna sort of become extinct in the draft because of the transfer portal. They would go find the guys that were high ranked recruits where it didn't work out in college for one reason or another and see if they could tap into that. Denzel Burke was a four star recruit ninety one composite graded at twenty four to seven, and he had a really good first couple of years and he was supposed to be like a first round pick, and then in the last year and a half it kind of fell off and he had a really bad year last year. So he's a guy to me you take kind of banking on or looking to, all, right, well, what went wrong last year and is it something we can fix and can we get him back on track to where he was supposed to be. I don't know how very Bolt necessarily feels about those players. Like I'm not saying he's off the Patriots board, Yeah, I don't. It's more a thing where like if it was Bill, I think it's he's somebody we would have talked about a lot more. But he's a really interesting one. Yeah, because he he was I think he was a projected first round pick a year ago.
Speaker 3: I feel like you just you just described Sean Waite like that, like like Sean Wade was really similar to me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I also had who was the defensive lineman from Auburn who he went to Florida State and they just ruined him. And then hear No from Maryland. He transferred around to Byron Coward. Byron Coward was the number one recruit in the country, and he forget the order was a Maryland he was at Florida State, he was at Auburn, but like it just the schools he was at did not know how to use him. They turn him from a stand up edge rusher into a nose tackle and Bill drafted him and it was just like, well, let's see what's there. Yeah, So Denzel Burk's not as extreme of the case. I think Coward was the number one recruit in the country, but it's it's a similar sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when Bill dunked on me about Byron Cower? No, I still I still remember that to this day. I forget these are there's certain like little things that happened to me when when I got you know, belichicked early on in my my beat career, and that one like it kind of sticks with you, right, like you kind of remember these things. I misspoke and I said that Coward was like a run player when he was a pass player, or a pass player when he was a run player. It just like I obviously got my my wires crossed, and.
Speaker 1: Bill just roasted me. Bill was just like I think.
Speaker 3: I said, like, you know, you guys have talked about him being this and it was totally off. And Bill was like, I talked about that, Like.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that. Yeah, oh god, was I embarrassed to work. I thought they might have had something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I those types of things stick with you, all right before we get back to the phone. So let let's try to finish up my guys, because we we we got bobbed down there a little bit with some of these.
Speaker 1: Coward is still in the league. Good for him. He's on the Jets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like he'll kick it.
Speaker 1: Still hanging around.
Speaker 3: So we're at tight end, quarterback, running back, receiver, Day one, Day two, Day three, tight ends. Day one tight End. I put down Colson Lovelan. I just I love Colson Lovelyn's tape. I think that it's a risk, sample size risk. You know, he got injured, he doesn't have a ton of volume to stats. But you watch the tape man and he's the closest thing to Brock Bauers in this draft, like in terms of explosiveness and dynamic route running ability and just a real uh he just plays at a different speed and other people really pops off the tape like that. You know, Tyler Warren's more well rounded. He is, you know, more productive in college, a little bit of a cleaner prospect, a cleaner evaluation, which is why I assume he'll go ahead of Loveland. The Patriots are not in a position to risk it on a guy like Loveland. So that's why I don't even think I'm gonna have him in my top fifty because of that. But I think that he's going to be a good NFL player. I just don't know if you're you have that margin for.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna do kind of what you did with the running backs. Call it top forty, maybe not first round. Yeah, I'm seeing Mason Taylor projected in the sixties. What are we doing. I think he's gonna go much higher than people think. I don't know that he sneaks into the first round. Does he sneak into the top forty, I could see it. He's clearly the third best tight end in this draft. Copycat league. People are gonna want their their brock Bowers and stylistically is a different player, but just that rookie upstart tight end. And we talked about this, I think last week. Part of what made brock Bauer is so impressive was tight end is generally a longer developing position. There's so few tight ends that are impact players as rookies. Mason Taylor's young, but he's so polished for his age. It really stands out that I think he's a guy that can come in and contribute year one. If you're mocking Mason Taylor to the Patriots at sixty nine, I think you're kidding yourself. He's a top fifty pick to me at least, and I think he might even sneak up higher than that.
Speaker 3: Young too, right like twenty right now, he'll be twenty one as a rookie.
Speaker 1: Early breakout ton of runway to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really high upside player, really fast and straight line and you know, stretch the field vertically and horizontally. You know, slide routes, you know, dumpops in the flat, he can turn those into big plays. I think he's got some route running, you know, technique stuff that he's got to work on to be able to win a little bit more on angular routes. You know, I don't think he's gonna you see a ton of like, you know, real angles, you know, slants, digs, you know that type of stuff with it on his tape. But once he gets to that point, maybe you know, he kind of excels at that a little bit more. I just I look at him right now, I see a little bit of Tucker Craft, Like I see that you know, straight line speed and the gimmicky speed on the scheme touches and things like that. But I think that he has a ceiling that's much higher, like maybe even like a Sam Laporta like level ceiling once he gets into the league. I'm with you on Mason Taylor. My day two guy other than Taylor, who I think you know will be early day two. I really like Terrence Ferguson from Oregon. I just feel like he didn't really get a chance to show off all the things that he can do down the field. He was kind of there their dump off security blanket, like, you know, kinda near the line of scrimmage kind of guy doesn't have a high average depth of target, you know, find some soft spots over the middle, you know that sort of thing. But I think there's some untapped potential there in terms of running seams and verticals, and he'll maybe do that a little bit more at the other level, at the next level the other guy, because I like both of them kind of equally. Gunner Helm, Like, I think gunner Helm is being slept on. He should not, right, he ran that forty and like throw the forty out like it doesn't exist, Like it is irrelevant that on a you know, a torn ankle, he ran a bad forty, Like it doesn't matter, you know, it doesn't. It's not going to impact his NFL stays. He reminds me of Hunter Henry a lot, Like I think that, yeah, I have really similar players. I just think that he's gonna be a quarterback's best friend. He's gonna find the soft spots over the middle of the field. He's gonna be quarterback friendly. He's gonna have great hands, he's gonna have great reliability, he's gonna be able to block. You know, I don't think he's going to be a great blocker, but he'll be a solid, you know, adequate NFL blocker in line. If I had to pick anybody out of this class on day two, I think it would be Gunner Helm.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those are my two guys kind of in that range and not as high on Fannin for the Patriots. Arroyo is like fine, doesn't again not necessarily a Patriots fit for me. Yeah, Day three though, there's some interesting ones.
Speaker 3: All right, give me your day three.
Speaker 1: Okay, So my guy for day three is Mitchell Evans. Yeah. I think he's gonna come in be the best blocking tight end right away, and he has the upside to be a plus receiver, but you have a year or two to kind of get him there. Behind certainly behind Austin Hooper is the second tight end, and then you hope eventually he takes over for Hunter Henry as your starting tight end. So I've kind of been on Mitchell Evans for a while. I think he's a good fit for them. I also, because we're doing tight ends slash fullbacks, I got to bring up robbi Oots here. I really want him to bring in Robbie Oots kind of hybrid between I've settled on my com for him. He's halfway between Kyle used Check and Patrick McCard.
Speaker 3: You can never just give a comp like just give a straight comp. But he's not.
Speaker 1: He's not as athletic as you used chat and he's not as big as a card.
Speaker 3: He's like somewhere in the middle. So who's that wrong? No, but there's a guy on the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, Matt Locke. He also doesn't play defense.
Speaker 3: He's like three hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: He might be able to say. I think he's bigger too.
Speaker 3: There's another guy though. I look up the Chargers in the second there's it. They have Matt Locke, but they have another guy too, who's like the same kind of guy, because like the Hardbuzz have to have like seventeen of the same kind of Yeah, I feel I feel like maybe that's your Robbie utz Khan.
Speaker 1: But I want I want Robbiots on the Patriots. Okay, so help me with his last name? No idea who McCallan Castles? No? Uh?
Speaker 3: Is it CJ.
Speaker 1: Dipp I think it's Drippy. I think Drippy from Alabama?
Speaker 3: Uh, just looking late Day three, you know, six seventh round guy. But if you want a blocking tight end, like just a guy that's gonna be able to come in and be a third tight end and block really well in line. Uh CJ Depri was the most impressive guy. I saw him more than Jackson Hawes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really like to pre Hawse. I think has a little bit more of a receiving upside, and it's probably gonna go a little earlier, it would be my guest. But if you're really looking for, like this is a we know what he's gonna be. He's just gonna come in and block on red zone and goal line and short yarded situations, being a third tight end in the league for a long time because he's a great blocker. I think Dupre's here's a comp for you.
Speaker 1: It's simple compa Lee Smith. Sure you remember Lee Smith?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lea Smith. He was the the only tight end the Patriots drafted between Rob Gronky. They drafted Gronk and Hernandez. The next year they drafted Lee Smith, and they didn't drafted tight end for like ten years until they double dipped in whatever year that was. Did you get a chance to watch Roonda Gadson.
Speaker 3: No, I got to do all the rest of the tight ends. That's that's my I'm still curious thought.
Speaker 1: That's one of my last bails to go into the bar, is it. See? I just go in order. I go in like I call it alphabetical order. It's not alphabetical order, but like the order that positions have always been listed in since at the beginning of time.
Speaker 3: I try to go in order of the draft board.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So because of all the content that we do surrounding the draft, like knowing the top one hundred is really what I got I need.
Speaker 1: To be able to ace, yeah, in.
Speaker 3: Terms of the draft. So I literally go through our the mock draft database. I put the consensus board up at each position, and anybody that's in the top one hundred, I just watch all ten of those go okay, and then I watched the next ten, and the next ten and the next I just do.
Speaker 1: I guess it's because like I kind of figure out the top one hundred guys just watching college football in the fall. So yeah, I'll go just position by position.
Speaker 3: All right, Uh, did you do tackle in into your up?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: So I did tackleing into your offensive line? So day one tackle is Will Campbell. Like I it's I've been on Will Campbell since the beginning. I know that I got a little flaky there for a second, but I've been on Will Campbell since the beginning. I'm not going to come off it now. If the Patriots draft Will Campbell in two weeks, I will not be upset. I'll be happy. I'll feel good about it. I will think they gotta left tackle, so Will Campbell. You know, I don't have to go too deep into it. We've been over Will Campbell a thousand times. But if I have to pick a my guy on day one at tackled I can't. I gotta go with Will Campbell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish I had his middle name to hammer the point home. I don't. I was just looking. I can't find it. William Campbell sounds like a general all right. Day two, Day two. So I still don't think Ariante Airstory's gonna fallah. I don't so when I say this, not including Ariante Airstory in his group. It's Ozzy Trapilla. We have the same because he's he's swing tackle potential. Long term, he could be your starting right. I don't think he's gonna start on the left side in the NFL, But if you need him to pitch in there for a game or two, I think he can. But I think ideally he's your swing tackle this year, and then next year it's him Kane Wallace battling it out for the right or whenever Morgan Moses moves on year, two years whatever. So obviously not I'm excited for Morgano's but he's obviously not a young guy. Yeah, one of those two guys becomes your starting right time big oz.
Speaker 3: I think Ozzy Trapla is going to be a starting right tw tackle in the NFL, not before long. I think he's better than Cayden Wallace in terms of a prospect. You know, Cadan Wallas barely played last year. So like right now, if I had to take a bet on who would be a starting right tackle in the NFL, Caiden Wallace or Ozzie Trapillo, I'm taking Azzy but all day, and I just think he's really technically savvy, really good hand fighter. He's got great size at the position, great length at the position. I just feel like he's a very good prospect all around. Like I really feel very strongly about Trapillo being a good NFL player.
Speaker 1: He's probably right tackle.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that he maybe can play swing tackle early on in his career as the backup, your third tackle, swing tackle, whatever you want to call it. Maybe you let that happen for a year. You know, he develops underneath Morgan Moses for a year, year and a half, or whatever the case may be. As long as Moses can can go, you know, you let him go. I think there's gonna be opportunities. Although Moses has been really really durable, durable, it's not been perfect. You know, he's missed some games, you know.
Speaker 1: Not the last couple of years. Yeah, it's never.
Speaker 3: It's never been major, like he's missing an entire season or half a season.
Speaker 1: You might need a game or two, might need a game or two.
Speaker 3: I think Trapillo could get some chances to play as a rookie that way, and I would take him on Day two of the draft them or probably in the double dip. You know, it would be ideal. My question is is like how long can you wait on Trapillo? Like I think thirty eight is a little bit high, but I think sixty nine is really you're starting to talk about you gotta take them.
Speaker 1: I think it's sixty ninety be a good pick. I've said this like, I strongly believe that any players they take in the top one hundred, they need those guys to play this year, and they need those guys to contribute this year. The one exception I have to that rule for me, it's not there role. It's my rule. I guess rule isn't the right word. The one exception I have to that take for me is if they draft a right tackle to be in the pipeline to replace Morgan Moses. And I came up with that take basically around Ozy Tripillo. YEA, maybe they end up doing it with somebody else, maybe it's Anthony Belton, maybe it's Cameron Williams. But like that's why I have that that it's like a carve out for Ozzie Trapillo. That is the one guy I think I'd be comfortable with him taking the top one hundred who's not playing a significant role in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Agreed day three.
Speaker 1: So I think everybody expects me to say haul in Pierce because that's my kind of guy. He's huge, he's massive, he's not necessarily great at football, but he hasn't he can't teach size. I'm actually gonna go away from that. I wouldn't hate Hall and Pierce, don't get me wrong. I just think Carson Vincent's getting slept on. Yeah. Now, he probably isn't a right tackle, and for a guy going that low, he's projected later day three, you kind of want some positional versatility, So he's an outlier there. I think he might be able to play some guard, which helps. But I think he's got he has the size and the sense that he's tall and long. I think he's only like three hundred and ten pounds, but he is. He can add to his frame like he can get up to three twenty I think relatively easily, and it won't impact him that much. Five year starter at Alabama A and M played well at the Senior Bowl, held his own against that higher level of competition, and he's just I think he's got the mentality down. It looks like a smart football player. Definitely plays with a lot of nastiness. He's older, he's coming from a smaller school. He doesn't have that positional versatility. I think that's why he's gonna go where he's going to go. But in a double dip because they might want a backup left tackle too if they're not sold on uh Vederian Lowe's the backup definitely. I think can be a backup left tackle in the NFL, and then you see just kind of what happens with him down the road. But a good backup left tackle is not nothing. And if you can get that guy, I certainly think you can get him at the one seventies. You might even be able to get him with that two twenty pick, depending on how it goes. You get a backup left tackle there, great, awesome, solid pick. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really liked him at the Seapral.
Speaker 1: Everybody did.
Speaker 3: I mean he had that one spotlight drill in the middle of the field. Who did he go up against? It was a top one hundred rusher? Was Umin me Ellen or was it one of the text I think it's one of text Amain Stewart.
Speaker 1: It was an SEC guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah if shut him down, Yeah, yeah, you won the REP. So I do like him a little bit. I really like Jealen Rivers from Miami to another Senior Bowl guy that I thought stood ute. He could play, probably play inside as well, you know, played a little bit of both at Miami. It's weird the like com almost went like drive to drive with it at times where he played left tackle and left guard, and he would just kind of flip flop in and out, which was interesting. Uh So I think that long term, you know, he could play guard and be your starting left guard. I think you could also have him play you know, swing tackle, backup left tackle, that sort of thing as well. I just like his game. You know, big, big dude, good size, really good length. He has like thirty five inch arms and then a short tackle class at the Combine. He was like the one guy that measured in with long arm.
Speaker 1: He mentioned with thirty five of the combine. They're probably closer like thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got freaking tree trunks. And I just think he's a big dude, moves people, great length, a little bit of positional versatility. I just think those are the types of guys that the league needs. You know, every team needs that kind of guy that has the functional strength the as your bulls in versatility. Like, yeah, he might not be you know, he's not going to go to you know, any all pro teams or Pro Bowls, but those types of linemen can be really valuable.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on Holland Pierce. I just need that real quick.
Speaker 3: He's a raw ball clay. He's a big raw ball clay. I feel the same way, almost similar with him as I do with Anthony Belton. Like I think Anthony Belton is kind of three. Yeah, Anthony Belton, I feel like is getting a really hyped up in the in like the media boards and stuff like that for a guy that's got a long way to go and past.
Speaker 1: My ceiling cam for him is Trent Brown.
Speaker 3: That's he's got a lot of He's he's raw. He's raw. Anthony Belton. I'm surprised by how much Anthony you know, Belton buzz there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's usually the guy that I like that nobody else likes. And I'm wondering why he's not ranked higher. Now I'm like almost suspicious that everybody likes him, Like, yeah, this is supposed to be my guy.
Speaker 3: All right, So we have a you have any guards or slash centers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have some interior guys, all right.
Speaker 3: Day one grays Abel. I think Gray's Abel is going to be Joe Toney to point. Oh, I think he's going to be a really good football player. He's gonna play guard. I think he's gonna play left guard.
Speaker 1: I think Bruger Adam is a center and the Beast today.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's some center flex there. Yeah, and he did some center stuff at the comm at the Senior Bowl. Excuse me, but I think that guard's a little bit more valuable. I think he can play left guard at a really high level. He's going to pass protect at a really high level at that spot, be extremely athletic at that spot as well. But either interior spot, left guard or center, I could see grays Abel excelling at and I think there's a lot of value in that. Do you have any day one, guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna again approaching this from a Patriots point of view. Yeah, and we I think we talked a little bit about this last week. You know, we've talked about tackle, trade up, receiver, receiver, trade up tackle, what about just hammering the offensive line? And some of this take too is I think grays Abel might go too high for them to do this. Yeah, and I know he's a right guard. I would love to see them Will Campbell trade up Tyler Booker. Yeah, that whole offensive line Campbell Booker, I guess, question Mark, but we you know you think you're at Bradberry, mike O and Lenu Morgan moses that that is a mean offensive line. You are gonna hate your life as a defensive linemen playing against those guys for sixty minutes. And yeah, it leads them short change in some other spots. But I think Booker team captain at Alabama, tone setter. You know, played a couple he'll be a guard in the NFL, but he played some left guard for them, even played a little tackle for them. But just again, a guy that sets the tone for the Alabama offensive line and didn't understand that not just his past year. You bring that guy in, you put him next to Will Campbell. Holy Molly, you're gonna have a lot of fun on the left side of the offensive line. I don't know that it's like my ultimate favorite thing that they would do, but I would like sneaky love that. Oh I'd love it too.
Speaker 3: I've come around, not I never needed to.
Speaker 1: If they did it was able, i'd be cool with it too. But I really like Tyler Booker.
Speaker 3: I didn't need to be sold on Tyler Booker, but I just didn't think he was gonna be there, but after the Combine and the fact the intestary.
Speaker 1: With DoD Combine. But I don't care like with.
Speaker 3: He's an interior offensive line right. But at the same time, you know, you know how teams are, and now Gray Zabel might go ahead of him because he had a better pre draft process than Tyler Booker. Teams might overthink Tyler book Yeah, and I don't think it's totally out of the question that a quote unquote unathletic guard falls to thirty.
Speaker 1: I even think of thirty eight. See, so I look at it. The Seahawks are at what eighteen, right, Yeah, and then the Texans are at twenty five. Those are two clear guard teams. Yeah, so I could see them both going in the first round. But yeah, if Tyler Booker is there a thirty eight, you don't have to trade up for him, all the better.
Speaker 3: So Seattle not Seattle tends to be uh in love with with the with the numbers, with the measurables. Casario and Houston makes a lot of sense, like Booker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'sable at eighteen, I think is what I have in my last Monksable at eighteen Booker in twenty five.
Speaker 3: They won't overthink Booker, like they won't overthink the combine and all that kind of stuff. You put Tyler Booker and Josh McDaniel's gap scheme like a downhill run Scham, Yeah, that's where happens.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: I think that's the other thing with Booker. You know, there's so many uh you know, Kyle Shanahan inspired on outside zone teams. He's not an outside zone's offensive. He's a he's a gap downhill. Get him on a double team, have him pull, you know, like that's what he does.
Speaker 1: Imagine the Tyler Brook Booker White one on ones in camp.
Speaker 3: I just I think it's great too. Just the fit because Bradberry is a smaller center. Yeah, he's undersized, and he's you know, his play strength is a big concern.
Speaker 1: Or even if you're gonna try Cold Strange, there also applies.
Speaker 3: Right, So if you put Booker in on when WU on either side of Garrett Bradberry or Cold Strange, like you give them some some girth next to them, that might help the center, you know, be able to handle power a little bit better and be able to hold the middle of the pocket a little bit better. If he's got to just boulders on either side of him, that would make the most sense. It's what kind of why I've I've been a little bit back in on city so lately lately, just because I feel like he's a big guard too, you know, kind of can do the same sort of thing. But with Tyler Booker, yeah, you know, if he's there, if he falls for all these combine, you know, athletic profile concerns, I could definitely see that. Day two I had Wyatt Milam. I think Wyatt Milems is getting slept on because he's probably gonna move inside at the next level. But I think he's gonna be a very very good guard in the NFL. I don't see a real path for him.
Speaker 1: You don't think city center. I think he's be center.
Speaker 3: He's a little tall to be a center, but it's possible.
Speaker 1: Team seem to be less bothered by that now and they used to.
Speaker 3: I just love moving these guys to guard, like I feel like guard is a There's still a ton of value in pass blocking at guard because you have all these interior defensive linemen that rushed the pass or at a high level, like if you go up against you know, Quentin Williams twice a year and Ed Oliver twice a year. And you know, I'll go on down the line of all the guys in the AFC that you're gonna maybe put potentially see if you're the Patriots, like you have to have guys on the interior that can pass block.
Speaker 1: You just do.
Speaker 3: And I think whyatt Milam is gonna be a really good one. Like he's a power oriented player. His game definitely fits a lot better in a phone booth. But he's gonna play really well at guard in the league. And he's gonna have a little bit of tackle feet and tackle, you know, just experience blocking people that I think is going to help him a lot in pass protection. I don't have any doubts that guys like Zabel and Mylam are going to follow in the footsteps of you know, Tooney and Sheriff and Martin and all those guys that transitioned inside from being college left tackles. I think all those guys are gonna check those boxes if you want to throw, you know, Donovan Jackson.
Speaker 1: So that was gonna be my guy again. If they're gonna do the tackle guard boom boom, at the top. Donovan Jackson, I like, yeah, my day two centers obviously, Jared Wilson, I've been very high on him. Limited sample size, but smart player, athletic player, little similar to David Andrews now David Andrews obviously didn't get drafted, but maybe the league learned something the last times. A little bit bigger, but it's a little bit bigger, but he's still undersized size there quotes the center and the other guy gotta mention her. On Day two Marcus Mabou, who got hosed by the combine, going from thirty three and an eighth in charms all the way down to thirty two. He is a tackle, but he'll probably move. He's played both perdue. He can probably right tackle guard, flex right tackle guard. Yeah, yeah, he uh. He wouldn't be a bad pick for the Patriots.
Speaker 3: He's got some of the most bizarre hand fighting I've ever seen. Like he's like literally like the karate kid, but it works like he gets it done. But like he is, he's like wax on wax off. Like you know, most times you want those stiff hands, like inside hands. This guy's like doing all sorts of like mister Miagi stuff and it somehow gets the job done.
Speaker 1: It's it's fun to watch, like.
Speaker 3: It's it's a little different, like when you're going through all these tackles. Then you get to him and you're like, oh, this is cool.
Speaker 1: This is a little fun. Thirty three and Charms. Don't forget it all right?
Speaker 3: Uh day three, Big deal and fairchild guy from Georgia. A pure left guard right He played left guard at Georgia and he's gonna play left guard in the NFL. You were high upside high school wrestler, like all world high school wrestler, and you can see that. You know, he knows how to grapple, he knows how to leverage, he knows how to win with body positioning, can get underneath guys. Very versatile blocker, just in terms of all the different things you can ask him to do. He can zone block, he can gap block, he can double team, he can pull, he can get up to the second level. He's really versatile in that way. Even though he's not positional flex necessarily, he's versatile within the scheme, which I think is really important. High level mover, high level pass protector. He's gonna he he just screams, Josh McDaniel's guard to me, like, I just feel like that when they look at left guard specifically, like Touney's obviously like the pinnacle of what they want in the left guard. But I think that fair Child's kind of in that same mold and I like him a lot. And then obviously, you know you got to mention Drew Kendall. You know you gotta talk.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of good Day three centers Drew Kendall. Jake Majors is a very Josh McDaniels sort of center, very cerebral player. Eth McLoughlin would be really interesting coming off that injury. The guy all mention those center guard is Clay Webb from Jacksonville State. So he was a five star recruit. I believe he's like a high rank recruit. Went to Georgia for a couple of years, wasn't playing it as a center. He was a recruited highly as a center, transferred to Jacksonville State, moved to guard, played it well, went to the Senior Bowl, played it well. A lot of people think he's going to move back to center in the NFL. I'm certainly not ruling that out. I just wouldn't sleep on him as a guard either. Little undersize, but kind of fits more for that McDaniels thing. And he's projected to go late, so that could be kind of like we talked about Denzil Burke, another one of these guys that all right now, I think he played at a higher level than Burke. He's just at a less valuable position. That's why he's lower. But it's like, all right, he was highly tauted out of high school. Why didn't work out in college? And is it something we can work around and get him back to being the player he was projected to be? Fair enough? All right?
Speaker 3: So that's my guys. There's a lot of them in there, but I think you know, those are the guys, uh, you know, on offense, and next week we'll do defense. Let's wrap up the show, get back to the phones, and then we have a ton of emails. I'll try to go through those as fast as we can as well. But Aldrid, our good friend is in North Carolina. What's up, Eldred?
Speaker 4: Hey, how y'all doing?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm about the receivers. I'm glad y'all talked about my guy do a Doordan, yep, and ever and you're right, you got those three routes, but he beats man Fress only we can do the stay field over the top. But my question is we ain't never developed receive it no matter what coaching cre we have. Do you think they can develop one this year?
Speaker 1: I mean, I believe it's kind of one of those things where like I got to see it, right, Yeah, I gotta see it. You know, Todd Downing's background is and quarterbacks, and he kind of talked about this last week that like he'll have them ready and knowing the playbook and all of that, But when it comes to the footwork and the technique, that's where where we're gonna see what they can do with some of these guys. That's right. I think you hope maybe Stephan Diggs helps out a little bit. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And the other thing is they're hosting that that that cornerback I talked about last time. He supposed to be coming to New England like I think today or tomorrow. I got his name, but he's six to two run at four to three forty and I think he objected to go in the third or the fourth round. And I think he's meeting with us today, Ali from I got I think it's I think his last name is Thornton too.
Speaker 4: But he's but that girl Ali from Chatsport.
Speaker 7: She was mentioned missioned yesterday that people have been meeting today with the Patriot.
Speaker 4: He got a thirty visits.
Speaker 7: But he's go later in the round though. But there you go, Corey Thorton, Okay.
Speaker 4: You go.
Speaker 7: I couldn't think of this guy. I couldn't think of his name.
Speaker 4: But uh uh, his background coach, he's the one that did Chambers Ward and with Chikov and he got good.
Speaker 7: Corners and a good corner coach. But him and I hope we don't sleep on but he's out.
Speaker 4: And how did you? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Thanks Elder, thanks for the call as always. And yeah, Eldred, uh you know Alex was was first to Kyle Williams. Elder was first to Dante Thorton. He's been on Dante Thornton for a while, so props Eldred. You nailed that one. Well we'll see if he's a good football player in the NFL. But you nailed the draft stock going up?
Speaker 1: Who's did you do? You know? Anythink? I don't know, it's not about Corey Thorton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Uh, Alex is in DC. What's up Alex?
Speaker 8: Hey guys, thanks for taking the call.
Speaker 3: No problem.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: So, yesterday Batards set on his podcast citing a scouting report by Bob McGinn of The Athletic that of Duel Carter has some character concerns that he's a bit of an a whole high maintenance, isn't a hard worker. Have you heard anything about this? Do you have any concerns around Carter? And do you give any weight to what mcginnon says since he's the same guy that said barmore head character concern.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call, Alex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we actually talked about this exact thing at the top of the show, So I don't want to go too long on it, but you can go back and listen to some of that. You know, we we talked to in depth about it. You know, I don't have much more.
Speaker 1: To add to that, so now I just say go back to the top of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, all right, let's get into some of these emails. We have a ton of them. I am a little disappointed in the listeners though, and I'll get to that. And here in a second, stopping me to the listener. No, no, I'm not being mean to them. I'm just a little disappointed that there's no emails about our are I'll get to it in a second, but just a couple of questions. It's sort of about the tackles. And I think one of the things that's going around right now is just like how confident are we that you know, a Connerly or an nursery or even a Simmons is going to be there for them at thirty eight? And you know, is there a risk there? And I think the answer is there's always a risk that just like last year, they're not able to orchestrate a trade out, they missed the run, and they missed the run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and I think we're going to see a similar run this year because there's still that shortage of tackles and that shortage alignment. No I'm not caught. Maybe one of them gets there. You're certainly not gonna have your choice. Maybe one of them gets there. And honestly, if Simmons is the one that falls, and they'll know what internally like externally, I worry that the medicals aren't good. Yeah, if Simmons is the only one that falls. I look at that and say, his knees is not in great shape. Yeah, So I'm not confident that they're gonna get one of those guys at thirty eight. If it's not Campbell or Membu or Banks at the top of the draft. They have to be moving up. They have to be moving up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And look, I like we say all the time with trades, and I've been kind of pounding the table about how hard it might be to trade back in this draft before trade it takes two to trade tango with the trade, but I think it's worse a team to trade out with you, Right, I should.
Speaker 1: Be able to trade up because every everybody wants to trade down. This is what we're talking about. A Ford. Nobody wants to trade up. Everybody wants to trade down. If you're trying to trade up, you should be in good shape. Uh.
Speaker 3: This is a good question from Ashton in Canada. He writes in about Jaden Higgins and Ted McMillan. This is something that we've talked to a little bit that like Ted McMillan is kind of Day one and Jayden Higgins is sort of the early Day two X in this draft. And he was just asking, you know, if we felt like there's a chance that Jaden Higgins is a better pro than Ted McMillan, and like, kind of whatever, the you know, who is better at what in certain areas. I think the biggest thing to me that maybe separates McMillan a little bit is the yards after the catch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't necessarily.
Speaker 3: See that speed or that ability and that fluidity after the catch that McMillan has out of Higgins, and I think that that might elevate his ceiling. But in terms of what they do in their routes, in the way that they play, in the way that they win, the fact that both of them are probably going to have to play a little bit in the slot to get some vertical stretch out of them, I think they play very similarly. I think they're kind of comparable in a lot of ways. I just would give Tet the edge just because of the yards after the catch ability.
Speaker 1: I think his ball skills are also a little bit better. I mean, they're both good in that regard, but that's why Yet's projector goes high as he has got unbelievable balls.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's fair, all right, you want to play a quick would you rather game?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, here we go. Yeah one.
Speaker 3: Have the Patriots trade back the fourth page to trade back up in the or trade back up in the first round. So would you rather trade back from four or trade up from thirty eight?
Speaker 1: Up from thirty eight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm with you. I'm up from thirty eight as well. Have Giodd Campbell or Walter Nolan fall to thirty eight?
Speaker 1: Oh? John Campbell, Yeah that's not even close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Walter noan.
Speaker 1: I like Walter Nolan, but like John Campbell in Rabel's defense, would be unbelievable.
Speaker 3: They have, they have the three technique, they have Milton Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's part. I don't think they need another. I feel like that was disrespectful to Walter Nolan the way I reacted, But like, I like Walter Nolan, but like John Campbell is so freaking good.
Speaker 3: I didn't spend a ton of time on Walter Nolan just because of where he's gonna go and and the fact that the Patriots Simon.
Speaker 1: Milton will see him plenty when he's in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: I thought he was a little streaky, like it's a little hot and cold on the tape, for me personally. You know, there's moments where you're like, wow, like there it is, and but then there's like stretches of games where he kind of just was there like and just kind of running into the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: You want my defensive tackle take, Yeah, Kenneth Grant's the second best defensive tackle in the draft. And I think Kenneth Grant projected first round pick. I still think people are sleeping on him.
Speaker 3: Good athlete, yeah, Jalen Walker Mason Graham at four.
Speaker 1: I'm going jail Walker Walker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jalen Walker, more versatile, better.
Speaker 1: Player, fits a need better Yeah, Jalen Walker.
Speaker 3: Have Gray's Abel or Marian Hampton fall to thirty eight?
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a good one. Hmmm.
Speaker 3: I'm going Hampton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm siding with the quarterback on this one. You can get a guard later on. I'm going Hampton.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit more value even at running back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going Hampton. That's a close one though, Yeah, I could be. I could be. There's an argument for Zabel. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is this is more open ended, but what player with the first round grade are you predicting the fall what player with.
Speaker 1: The first round gride? I gotta like pull up the list real quick. Hang on, I don't know if I thought of something similar. Say what you're gonna say that I thought of something similar.
Speaker 3: I don't know if everybody's gonna call I technically feel that he's a first round grade kind of guy. But Luther Burden falling out of the first round, Luther Bird.
Speaker 1: Would be one very likely. Mike Green would be another. Yeah, So what I was thinking is kind of I'll say I had Mike Green at like twenty eight. I think my last mock, so I'll say Mason Graham's are going to go in the first but every mock right now has him like six is his floor. I think you get down like nine or ten. Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. Here's what I was gonna say. I was thinking about this week. I was gonna write something about it later on, but I'll test it here. What is this year's Michael Pennock's pick? And what I mean by that is what is the pick that nobody is talking about that happens in the first round. That's a good one. I'd have to think about that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I had to trade on Henderson thing earlier, Like I feel like that could happen. Yeah, but I don't know if that's like quite on Michael Pennock's level.
Speaker 1: It's more r nabs, right, but just completely out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: I think Milroe in the first round would be kind of a stunner. Now he's invited to the draft, so obviously there's there's some ruzz that he might go in the first round, but that, to me, I think would be a little bit of a stunner, like where he was at the end of the college football season, Like he's made that much ground up, you know, in the pre draft process, and now all of a sudden he goes in the first round.
Speaker 1: I'd be pretty stunned about that. Yeah, So I was gonna say, like Millroe going like top twenty, Yeah, and maybe it's a trade up. But yeah, the other oh, the other one I had it. I put this in my last mock. I don't think I'm alone in this. I've seen a couple other people do it, but like Matthew Golden of the Steelers. Yeah, so he plays the inside with Pickens and Metcalf on the outside, and then Pickens on expiring contract, like it and this is this was this takes under the assumption that they finally signed Rogers, but like it's a lot of wide receiver in one offseason.
Speaker 3: But all right, speaking of receivers, then I have my little thing I want to get you here at the end.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Will Wrights in and mentions that there just haven't been a ton of buzz about Patriots thirty visits with wide receivers specifically, I think Jalen Noel.
Speaker 1: Or Noel Yeah, I got that.
Speaker 3: I think he's maybe been reported now that he's.
Speaker 1: Come in and posted himself in the bill.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, but we haven't. We haven't seen you know, Golden Murden, McMillan and Will just ask like, do they always draft based off the thirty visits?
Speaker 1: No, definitely not pretty rare. Ac Yeah, I think all visits thirty combined Senior Bowl? Was it last year they like for their picks? Yeah, before that, I think it was two.
Speaker 3: It's very it's a it's a low percentage. There's a lot of intel information gathering that goes on at these types of things that isn't anything beyond just doing your due diligence on players. I'd also mentioned with the thirty visits. Uh, you're just getting what's leaked, so you don't know. We don't know all thirty guys.
Speaker 1: Ta Thornton was one we didn't known till after the draft we met with them.
Speaker 3: I remember also, you know, Christian Gonzales, like they sent at the time Drawd Mayo out to like personally spend like a weekend with Christian Gonzales in Oregon, uh, before the draft, and nobody knew about it, you know, and nobody knew about it till afterwards. So I would just caution that, you know, don't overreact to the thirty visits. Yeah, all right, last thing here, you and I got got put on blast a little bit on social Like we got put on blast a little bit. I think it's I think, yeah, I think we should do it. We got put on blast a little bit because we Uh, it was a class A felony that you and I said that we would not take a trade down with the Saints going from four for nine and forty and we both said we wouldn't do it. It doesn't feel like enough to me. It still doesn't feel like enough to me. But my main takeaway with this is one, you know, like it kind of caused a little bit of a start for no reason over like a take content on a podcast like Let's calm down. Second of all, if the Saints are gonna trade up with the Patriots just becoming a popular take.
Speaker 1: Which is banks on the idea that they want Sanders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which banked on the idea that they want Sanders, then that means that the fourth overall pick is going to be Shador Sanders. So you are now selling the fourth overall pick for a quarterback, which in my opinion changes the value of the trade.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, not your opinion, that's generally how it's done. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if it's Shador Sanders going at four, and that's who's gonna go at four, that means if the Raiders want you door Sanders, if the Saints want you door Sanders, Steelers, if the Steelers want you door Sanders, if any of these teams wants you to door Sanders, then they need to get up to pick four to get Shador Sanders, which just inherently will increase the mark.
Speaker 1: As a quarterback tacks.
Speaker 3: It's a quarterback tax. And so when I heard that trade proposal, it didn't feel like enough, and I still don't feel like it feels like enough. I want to trade down if you can. If Harder and Hunter aren't there, I would trade down, But I'm not trading down just to trade down.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be worth while.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be worthwhile, And just the last thing I'll say on it, I would be pretty disappointed if the Patriots came out of this draft without one of Carter, Hunter, Campbell or Membu.
Speaker 1: Like I'll put Jalen Walker in there.
Speaker 3: I feel like all four of those guys. To me, I want one of those four guys in the first round. Now, if you can still get that guy by trading down, then I get that there's a ton of value.
Speaker 1: I'm not super confident that all four of those guys make it tonight, and I'll put Walker in there. But I think for the grading it as a whole, they're all similar. But for the Patriots, specifically Ted McMillan, Mason Graham, Taler, Warre and those guys are a step back. So and I think that's just what it comes down to. Like, and some people put it in the replies to that video, like I'm just a little less confident in some of those guys falling, and it doesn't mean I wouldn't do. He just have to make it worth the while. Like borish friend of the show put in, like he added another trade, and I think Patriots are giving up like a fifth or six or something, but another top one hundred. Okay, if I'm getting three top one hundred picks back, I'm more interested what I would really like to see if they were going to make that trade. So we use the same basis four for nine and forty. If I'm the Patriots, the first thing I'm asking for on top of that is a future top one hundred pick early second. You're not going to get a first, You're just not Can you get a future second. I might even take a future third because the idea is, all right, I'm moving down this year, give me the ammunition to move back up next year in a better draft. I think I've talked about a little bit on this show. I've talked about it on other shows. The mathematics of the future picks and trades in this draft specifically is going to be fascinating. They're going to be worth less or they're going to be worth more in this draft because our team's going to be willing to borrow from future better drafts to improve their standing in this one. So and on the flip side, they're more valuable to acquire. So if I'm the Patriots, not moving back, I want a future for I want a future pick. I want a future pick. So okay, I'm gonna move back this year. Next year when it's better class, I want more top one hundred ammunition so I can move back up the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just be really careful. This is a draft to me with the Patriots, they have to nail their first round pick.
Speaker 1: They have any draft, but yeah.
Speaker 3: But they but this is a big draft for them. It's a big draft, and I have to nail that pick. I wouldn't get cute with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 3: And all of a sudden, when you start trading down, I'm not saying don't trade down if the trade down is there, and it's the value is there for the pick, but we're not bit don't trade down just to trade down. Yeah, because you're gonna put yourself into a position in a weaker top of the draft that you might not nail the pick.
Speaker 1: If you believe in a guy, take them, if it's like, well, you know, I feel more comfortable at nine than four, then you don't really believe in the player, right, And if you don't believe in any of the players truly, which you might not in this draft, and that's Hunter and Carter off the board obviously, then like, yeah, just by defaul, you have to believe in one more than the rest. So just that's the guy.
Speaker 3: I just I keep coming back to the same thing with them. You have to be careful about the fact that this is a you gotta be able to get on base with this pick. Yeah, And I just I'm not jones in to just give away the pilk and.
Speaker 1: That's it to be fair. In twenty twenty three, they knew the board, they knew they can move down three spots and still get Christian Zales, and we gave them a ton of praise for that. Yeah, if you know, if you read the board, and you know, and this is including teams that might trade up, and like Miami's lurking there at thirteen. They're a trade up team for a tackle. They worry me. The Bears are a trade up team for an offensive lineman. Certainly the Colts might be too. Like if you know, all right, one of these guys is gonna get to nine if you read the board like, yeah, go for it. I just don't feel super confident that again that group, if Carter Hunter are there, you're not trading, so they're relevant. Yeah, Campbell, Membo and Walker. I'll put Walker in a group. I know you didn't. I will. And maybe you're okay ending up with Kelvin Banks, I guess, But like you're if you're not super confident in those guys falling, you get nervous about a trade like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, all right. So that does it for today. We'll be back next week. We're gonna do my guys on defense. We'll try to get the more of the phones and the calls and the emails and stuff. I know you guys emailed in a ton of we didn't get it to a ton of them today, so I apologize for that. But before we sign off, confidence is important to have when you're on the road with Bridgetone tires, your car, truck, suv, or minivan. You're riding on tires you can trust Bridgetone tires or engineered to give you a peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying the journey. So whether you're on your morning commute, across country road trip, or a relaxing Sunday drive. Bridgetone Tires will be with you wherever. Life's road Bay Lead Bridgetone Solutions for your journey available now at Sullivan Tire and Patriots. Catch twenty two is sponsored by Massachusetts to fifty campaign, commemorating a history of possibility. Plan your revolutionary weekend at Massachusetts two fifty dot org. All right, two weeks out. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 9: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts