Speaker 1: The vine. All right, the NBA season is in full swing, coming down the stretch. Then we move right into the playoffs in April, May and June. I can't wait. Spice things up with Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner the NBA. Right now, all you have to do is put down five bucks and get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets. Pretty good trade off. I pay five, I get one hundred and fifty dollars. North Carolina listeners, do not forget. Welcome to the party. Draftking Sportsbook now live in your state, North Carolina. Download the Draftking sports Book app takes ninety seconds. The code is Colin co l I n again ninety seconds. Download Draftking sports Book app. Put in Colin New customers bet five, get one hundred and fifty back in bonus bets instantly. That is the trade code is oa's colin the Crown is.
Speaker 2: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill casino when resorting. Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, void and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See dkang dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources. All right a day later, but never a dollar short. John Middlecoff, former NFL scout. We do our fifty minutes to an hour.
Speaker 1: Chop it up. And even though this is the NFL's offseason, there's all sorts of news going on. DraftKings released, it's NFL win totals. There's a couple of weird ones. God, did Kirk Cousins get respect? The Falcons are ten and a half that is ultimately Vegas and DraftKings telling you Kirk Cousins is a very good capable quarterback in this league. Ten and a half, by the way, is the same number for Josh Allen and the Bills, and Joe Burrow and the Bengals and Tua and Mike McDaniels. So I think it's funny. There's just there's certain people in every industry that are way more respected than the public understands. John Middelcoff, the former NFL scout three and out that of all the draft Kings, unders and overs Falcons, ten and a half was like, holy crap. And most I mean, they do have a good old line for Kirk, but I think Kirk Cousins is way more respected in the league than he is outside of the league.
Speaker 3: Well, think about it. The previous year, right, they won thirteen games, they were in the playoffs. They started slow this year, but they were coming on. He was playing his best football that they would have been a clear factor to make a wild card. I mean he's proven. I mean, if he's healthy in the team solid, he's a playoff. Might not win in the playoffs, but he can get you there. Which let's face it, ninety percent of owners would sign up for a heartbeat just to be, you know, playing football in the middle of January. I think people, you know, obviously you want to win the Super Bowl. All these teams just want to make the playoffs, right in football a lot like March Madness. It's not a seven game scenario. The Giants were not as good as the Minnesota two years ago, but they beat them, and they played in the second round and then they got their breaks beeat off by the Eagles. You just got to get to the dance. And then we saw the Giants win two Super Bowls as wildcard teams. They went on the road. Football is kind of unique that way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also to give you a double shot of Kirk Cousins value the Vikings despite a loaded offensive roster, I think what's considered one of the sharper offensive coaches, the Vikings are only a six and a half win team. Well that's Kirk Cousins and we both like Sam Darnold athletically, but they're telling you there's a gap of like three to four games between Kirk Cousins and Sam Darnald. So if you just look at the over unders on the Falcons ten and a half Viking six and a half, and we know the coach with Minnesota in an offensive pivoting league is a really effective coach won a game without a practice with Josh Dobbs. The Vikings are one of the more talented teams in the league offensively six and a half wins, so that doubles down on Cousins is viewed inside analytics, Vegas draft kings the league much higher value than everybody outside of the league.
Speaker 3: Well of all the guys right not making huge money or a young player who's going to ascend to make a lot of money like a CJ. Stroud. Sam Darnold either is going to set himself up to be a starting quarterback for the foreseeable future if he has a good year and he's successful, or he's just going to be a lifetime backup. I mean that's because he's going to get judged. I mean, even if they end up drafting JJ McCarthy, he's going to start. It'd be hard for that guy to beat him out come Week one. But if he plays well, and they're definitely people to play well with right at wide receiver. But if it does not go well, like his days of ever being discussed anymore, and I'd be done holding on as well. Not that I have much stock, but I haven't sold at all, that's right.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way. So Jmac on our show today that heard FS one brought up a really interesting point. He's very good at this because he's got a lot of contacts with agents and stuff. So here's Jim Harbaugh just continually saying JJ McCarthy's the best player in the draft. I mean, this guy's unbelievable. Well, as he brought up today, Minnesota is poised to move up every rumor on every board. As Minnesota's moving up, they've accumulated two first picks. Well, they don't want to move up to first, second, or third, probably because then you'd have to give up multiple ones, you know, for a college player. But you could move up to five with the Chargers and probably get JJ McCarthy because we don't believe unless the Giants move up spots to go to Arizona spot. It really is very nobody. Chicago's not given up their pick. I don't think Washington's given up their pick.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: New England's open for business at three, but I think there's some misgivings. Would Jade and Daniels size some of his style of play to put him up in New England in that weather? My guess is so j Max said what they're doing basically is Harbaugh is saying how great McCarthy is, because if you like JJ McCarthy, he'd be a reach at one, two or three, but at five, if he is a reach, it's not a huge reach. If he's projected to be nine, ten, eleven, twelve. And all Harbaugh is doing is saying, oh, this guy's great. He wants you to spend more to get his fifth pick. And I thought, yeah, that's exactly what he's doing right well.
Speaker 3: Adam Peters told the local guys today they're not open for business. They've listened, but they were never open.
Speaker 1: That's Washington's GM.
Speaker 3: That's Washington's GM. I do think the Patriots saying that here's the problem for the Chargers. Ideally they would love to do that deal right eleven twenty three, Maybe next year's too big hole kind of help reset their roster money. Austin for the Arizona Cardinals GM said we have flagshing lights open for business, right flashing lights. Girod Mayo said, within the last twenty four hours, we're open for business too. If teams trade up before the Chargers, it takes two to tango. Teams often say hey, we wanted to move back or we wanted to move forward. We couldn't get a yes on the other end of the line. What if quarterbacks and teams trade either the Patriots take a guy or trade back, and the Giants and the Vikings take three to four. What happens to the Chargers if they get stuck there? Because I have a hard time colin envisioning them. And I know these wide receivers are viewed very highly, and I know they just got rid of to google Jim harboss history and his GM just came from the Ravens. They would much more be inclined to take a lineman that's more of their style high in the draft. But they already have a left tackle googling alt he's only played on the left side. I think it's a little rich for the Oregon State guy who's more of a right tackle potentially. Yeah, they already have two defensive linemen, but you could always take a defensive lineman. I don't think there's a guy I viewed as a number five overall pick in this draft at that spot. They could get stuck pretty quickly. Now they could just take a wide receiver. Do you envision a Ravens GM and Jim Harbaugh taking a wide receiver with a film so I can't. I can't.
Speaker 1: So I have envisioned if they got If the Chargers got Minnesota's picks and it was two firsts, my first thing I envisioned would be they moved back to like what is eleven or twelve?
Speaker 3: What are the Vikings eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my takeaway is that they would take the Oregon State tackle at eleven, maybe a bit high, but he's a bruiser and they could also use him on the interior of their issues. And then I think their second pick would be a defensive tackle from like Texas or one of the big interior alignement right tackle, defensive tackle. And I'm like, that's exactly now. And then they'd go get a center. They got two fourth round picks, They're going to get a center of the third or the fourth round. That's what Jim wants to do. He wants to get big. You know, George Young, the legendary Giants GM used to always say, what in doubt, go big that heart. That's how Harbaugh and Baltimore and the Harbaugh's draft, they just go big a lot. Hell, I can make an argument. Zay Flowers is the first home run wide receiver hit that Lamar Jackson's had. Where you're I mean Odell didn't make any impact. Mark Andrews has been ready the start of the receiving game. So yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: And they took him in the twenties, yes, right, the Ravens, the Helodinadas, those types they take higher. Ronnie Stanley, Zay Flowers are are they taking even though Moliku neighbors and Roma Dunes? They are viewed as top ten? Marvin Harrison. I just I have a really hard time. Now. Maybe Marvin Harrison, he's seen him up close and personal, Maybe he feels very comfortable with that player. But I can't imagine that's what they want to do. But I can already envision them getting stuck because if if a quarterback goes one, two, three, four, whether that's trade ups, obviously Arizona would have to trade back. But let's say the Patriots even stay there. What if there's no one to trade with the Chargers?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I so today the New York Giants Amara family said that they can draft a quarterback at number six. The Mars said they will allow the GM and the coach if they think it's necessary. Nice of them, nice of them to say you can draft a quarterback, so I think they will. I could see the Giants actually, you know my guess, I don't know. If I knew Jade and Daniels in that weather, I would much rather have. So don't we both agree it's going to go Caleb Drake May one and two. Do we agree with that?
Speaker 3: Plasarrow said today from the league meetings that he's heard a lot of JJ McCarthy with Adam Peters. And when you think of Adam Peters's history, right even recently, they won a lot with Jimmy Garoppolo and then they had immediate success with Brock Purty. Now, obviously these two guys are two of the best. I mean, Brady's the best player ever in Peyton mannings the top five quarterback. He was around those guys in Denver and then New England, so prototypical, and the one guy that he completely whiffed on with the group was Trey Lance. So I wonder if they're more inclined. I heard Drake May for but then when I saw that, I don't think that's just getting thrown around because if JJ could go four, what the hell's the difference of taking him too. If people like him at four or five, it's not crazy to think someone would like him at two. Write the same pick essentially, So you either think the guys that started quarterback and a high level or not.
Speaker 1: Right, here's you, as a former NFL scout with the Eagles, take me inside. So I got into this thing today. I said, Denver's in a weird spot. So are the Raiders. Gardner Minshew and Aidan O'Connell can't be the future in that division, all right, But what if you have bon Nicks at let's say twenty four, your scouts say, we think he's the twenty four to the best player. Do I take him? Now? It's quarterback, and I do believe I'm willing to reach at pass rusher or quarterback receiver. I won't because there's a glut of talent. There's not a glut of receiver quarterback talent annually in this league. Max Crosby fifth round is a complete outlier. Brady in the sixth round outlier. So what do you do if your scouting department says, listen, we have him like twenty four to twenty five, and we've got the eleventh or the twelfth pick of Denver and the Raiders, And I mean, what do you do? What's the discussion in the draft room.
Speaker 3: I saw a quote today from Joe Shane the Giants GM and he said, what makes it very unique at the quarterback position? And Chris Ballard talked about this forever, right, everyone always wanted me to take a quarterback. Well, if I don't like the guy at pick eighteen or fifteen or twenty, just because he's quote unquote falling, it's not a defensive lineman or a wide receiver or a defensive back that I can mix in. He can just ultimately become my nickel corner or you know, he didn't turn out to be a tackle, but he can be my guard, or he can be my run stuffing defensive tackle. Even if it clearly was the wrong pick, he can still quarterbacks bat he's awful and he just doesn't play right. So I think it gets very tricky that just because a guy quote unquote falling, guys that falling and then are picked, it's because that when Aaron Rodgers fell to the Packers, they liked him a lot. Same with Jordan love Right, he felt other teams didn't like him, but they valued him and they took him. So I think of a quarterback as quote, you know, if bo Nick's there in the mid teens, you either like the player or you don't at that value. And if you don't, you know, if you're unsure. I would never pick the quarterback because that's where you get in these positions where you're kind of stuck. Where even these other the Chargers wide receiver last year was a disaster. Well you know it's like, well, maybe we figure something out, maybe becomes our third wide receiver. Maybe there are a couple of things he can do well for quarterback. He either can play or he can that's right, and that's why JJ McCarthy. I looked at some of their athletic testing numbers. Alex Smith was taller. I think there are a lot of similarities with Alex Smith. And once Alex got real coaching Andy and Harbaugh, he was a really solid court Never Josh Allen or Mahomes, but he was damn good. You could make the playoffs with. And I think and just because a guy has a high physical ceiling Jayden Daniels, there's no guarantee. So you have to like the guy, and then you have to be able to everyone puts the comps always like this guy's the next Patrick Mahomes. I've been watching football for thirty years. I've seen one Patrick Mahomes. Remember when Draymond was drafted for five straight years, like, this guy's gonna be the next Draymond. There hasn't been a Draymond since. But no one ever wants to comp like, you know what, this guy might be Alex Smith, because everyone always wants the guy to be a higher in the first round. Sure you can do that with mid round picks, but no one ever comps like, yeah, I think this guy's a third wide receiver. Well we're taking the guy at twenty, Like that's a problem. So I think you got to be very careful with quarterbacks high in the draft. That's why I think teams get very comfortable when a guy falls to the second You've seen a lot of success stories Matt Schob, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo. There's a lot less pressure. You don't have to play him right away. Let's face it, in modern day football, if I draft a guy Raiders Denver in the top fifteen, no one wants to see Gardner, Minshew or whoever the Denver Jared sid him for long. Might give me a game or two, but just throw the other guy, and that sometimes can just get yourself in a massive, massive problem. Twy JJ McCarthy makes sense for Minnesota. They don't have to throw him in right away. Lamar Jackson back in the day with uh Baltimore with the Ravens, they had Flacco right so't he didn't start until the middle of the season kind of got to ease in. Even brock Perty now he was a seventh round pick, but he wasn't forced into action right away. Some of these guys get forced into action. I don't care who you are. As a young person, your confidence is very, very brittle. I mean, you saw Bryce young. He has another year like that, it could just ruin his career, right. We've seen it happen at what Alex Smith overcame with Nolan and Singletary is one of the greatest accomplishments I've ever seen. Most guys, it just ends them, right. But he didn't break and then Harbaugh kind of resurrected him. So I think that you have to be a realistic with your expectations at quarterback. But no, it's it's very black or white. There's no like, well we can mix this guy in twenty five snaps. And that's where I think you get into a lot of problems with the position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you will with a quarterback at the twelve spot, you're just you just wasted a pick. I mean, it's one thing if you trade a first round pick like the Rams had done for years to get you know, Jalen Ramsey and good players. It's another one you don't have it because you whifted on a quarterback. It's just hard to overcome the you know, they there's the Dion Sanders thing is interesting. Like listen, Colorado football has been irrelevant outside of the Bill McCartney days most of my life. There was the Eric b Enemy. There was that four or five year run when they just got a lot of LA kids and they were fun and they were it was really really a really interesting program for about five years. And so when Dion got the job, you know, my take is he'll make them interesting and he'll recruit. But I wonder if he's doing a disservice to his son. So he's talked about this whole My son doesn't want to play in cold weather. Well, shit in January. Take out Miami and domes. You know, twenty seven of the thirty two teams are cold. You know, it's you know, there's more Detroit. Thankfully he's in a dome. In Minneapolis. Minnesota is in a dome. But there's just a lot of cold weather football. I mean, the Chiefs, the Bills, the Ravens, the Patriots, the Seahawks for a while. The Niners can be very cold in January December. They've dominated most of the last twenty five years of NFL football, twenty seven years Pittsburgh. I think Shaduur Sanders is really interesting. I wouldn't take him over Caleb or Drake may, but I do think there's an argument I could take him over Jayden Daniels when his dad says there may be an Eli Manning situation. Boy, my takeaway is Elway was probably the greatest quarterback prospect ever. That's why he's even referenced today. Eli Manning's brother Peyton won the MVP the year he's coming out, so there's a oh, oh, here we go. Peyton now is the best young quarterback. Let's get his brother. There was a lot of leverage the Shaduur Sanders, even with Diana's a dad, have any leverage to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think both those guys said it when they were established as the number one pick going into the draft. You know, this guy still has another year of college where let's face it, anyone that watched the second half of Colorado football, it was a fucking disaster.
Speaker 1: His last four games he had six touchdowns.
Speaker 3: He was not very good. Now, his first couple of games were pretty remarkable. It fell off a cliff. Obviously. He doesn't take, you know, an NFL scout to watch his physical talents. Right, he can run, he's got a big arm, but by no means if you just pulled NFL gms that watched him on tape, would they say he's some lock top pick. Deon's one of the greatest prospects of all time as well. And he you know, he was in one of the great drafts with like Barry Sanders and Jim Kelly made I forget exactly now, that was way before him, but whoever his draft was was incredible. In the Derek Thomas and I remember Dion had a famous story about someone wanted him to take a cognitive test and he asked them what pick you're taking. It was like the Giants and they were ninth. He's like, I'm not going to be there. I mean, Dion had a lot of leverage because he was an all time great prospect. Let's just let's just see how these guys. We don't even know what position Travis Hunter is gonna play. Is he a dB or a wide receiver? Right? I mean he eventually has to establish a position to play in the NFL. He's not gonna go both ways. Well, so to put this pressure, and I understand he's like a father. He basically is a father to Travis as well. I have no problem having confidence, like these guys are gonna be great NFL players. He's gonna have a big season. But to make that statement already, let's face it kind of puts a bad taste into everyone's mouth coming in there, because, like you said, one, you end up whether you're playing in La San Francisco or Green Bay, you end up playing cold weather games all the time, right with cross rivals, even teams in your own division end up being cold. The playoffs turn cold on the road. He plays in Colorado, right now, it's not. What's the weather right now in Denver probably thirty five to forty degrees. So I understand that you know he's a Texas Florida guy, but I one, we just have this guy's not Caleb Williams or Trevor Lawrence. He got everyone's universally agree that he's some elite.
Speaker 1: Player Lway, Luck, Trevor and Caleb. Going into the season. We're a unanimous MVP. Schauduur, isn't I think people forget this if you take Jordan Addison out of the equation sc pittsburgh s seed to the Vikings the last two years without an elite offensive teammate, he had ninety three touchdowns Caleb Williams and ten picks. Those are in And this year was the best the PAC twelve's been in my adult life. I mean it was really as good. I mean Arizona was good. I mean Oregon, Washington it was excellent.
Speaker 3: Washington State was solid, cal was frisky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like, guys, come on, what are we talking about here? Utahzo was good. So I like, I can like Shaduur Sanders. I don't think he's close to the power thrower of Caleb Williams. I mean, and both had bad offensive lines this year. Look at the numbers, I mean down the street should and I liked him against TCU. The more I saw of Shaduur, the less I liked him.
Speaker 3: That's probably I mean, I think, if you had to go off today, Travis Hunter is a better prospect than Shador Sanders. Now, obviously that can change, and he plays the most important position. But there are gonna be a lot of eye I mean, there were a lot of eyeballs on him at least early once they started being terrible people you know, fell off. But I think this year and it's gonna be fascinating. Let's face that he plays in a crappy conference. I mean, I would imagine the Big twelve of now the four, the Big ten in the SEC. I would say the ACC is going to be viewed as better than the Big twelve going into the season. So he you know, when it all said and done, what if he's kind of playing nobody's and he's not that great again? I mean, are we talking about some for sure top ten pick. I'm not saying that he can't. He could be the number one pick, but he also could be a second round pick. There's just no I would not put the rubber stamp right now he is some lock top ten pick. That's just not the way it works. And things change. Think how often JJ McCarthy wasn't viewed as a top ten pick coming into the season. Hell even after the season. I don't think universally the average person would be like, that's the top ten pick. Now he's gonna go like top five. Yeah, Jayden Daniels kind of have the Joe Burrow ascension. No one was talking about that guy, Whin's the Heisman. Now he's talked about Bo Knicks. I mean think things change very rapidly in football with the prospects at the quarterback position. So if they're going to talk a big game, which Deon does because Dion can back it up, I think sometimes he talks for his kids. And you know last year that Colorado State situation talking before the game before what happened was best player got destroyed, ruptured a kidney, and like almost died on the field. So DEM's coach now, right, he's not the player. So you put this added pressure on him, and he'd say, well, they have pressure no matter what because of my name and that's true, but I think this is another level. I mean, that's gonna be a major talking point all next fall.
Speaker 1: So they're at the league meetings. The hip drop tackle was banned. The defensive players are objecting to it. It's very hard for a smaller player to tackle a big player. Puts the defense at a further disadvantage. I don't think the league cares. Also, yeah, yeah, it means more passers to the tight end. And my takeaway is they're going to throw the ball to the pigs.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 1: Replay assistance will now be permitted to change incorrect calls for roughing the passer and intentional grounding. People could argue, God, that's too much complexity to the replay system. I actually like that none of these. None of these bothered me. I don't think you know one of the things that has changed in football and for the better. People often say they like defense, they like their team having a good defense. They don't really like defense. So if I said to you the Super Bowl was nine to six or twenty eight to twenty seven, fans would take the ladder. People love defense when it's theirs, but people fans will watch any great offense. It doesn't matter. If it's the greatest show on turf, it's Mahomes in his biggest year with Tyreek, and so I think the league's very clearly saying we're trying to keep the players healthy. We're gonna lean offense. It's good for fantasy, it's good for TV. Almost everything to me is just safety or TV product. That's how I view all these rule changes.
Speaker 3: Well, my initial reaction is I don't think it's necessary because I think the defensive player, you know, the pure football element. If I'm trying to get most guys are not Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis and Brian Urlacker that can form tackle anybody in space. I'm doing whatever I can to get Christian McCaffrey, Alvin Kamara, or Travis Kelsey to the ground. Well, who did I just name? Besides the quarterbacks, the most famous players in the league have the ball in their hand. They want Deebo, Samuel, Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley. They don't want him to get injured. Right, those are the people for fantasy football. People watch the casual fan, which the NFL has more of. They want to protect those guys. So I think it's just simple. Do they truly care about safety? I don't think they even did it with the head. They just didn't want to get suit anymore. It was all a cover your ass move, and that's been regulated out of the game, right, there's no people don't launch themselves anymore. The quarterback, and you've been saying this forever. The quarterback's the most important position for all of us fans to watch. No one wants to watch the Bills play the cheeks. We'll two backup quarterbacks even if we get mad on ridiculous roughing the pastors. The intention is to keep those guys safe and that I understand that this one. I'm not going to freak out until I see the way they call it, because as a defender, the overwhelming majority of players are just trying to get the player to the ground, right. No one's trying even the guy that hurt Mark Andrews. Obviously he was not trying to injure him. And I think this is where the players have been saying this forever. Once they cut the quote unquote head hunting, they go after the knees. Well, what pays the Bills for these guys? They're lakes and so we've seen a lot of knee injuries because guys get their kne He's blown out. It happened to the taller players like Gronk forever. So listen, I think they they overreact to stuff like this. And the writing was on the wall a couple of weeks ago when they were all openly talking about in the league office. I would imagine a lot of coaches don't like it. But as we've seen, they don't give a shit what the coaches think, you know, So this is all, like you said, it gets back to the TV. It's why whenever you see these rules, ninety percent of the time, the coaches would always vote no. They have no power. It's just the league, the owners and the money, which then the coaches and the players all benefit from. But some of these rules back to remember the CBA. There's no practice anymore. Well, yeah, that limits the development of young quarterbacks and offensive linemen. But Roger Goodell and his team is not thinking about that. They're just thinking about revenue growth, revenue growth and safety. They've kind of figured out a formula and safety, so for the offensive players.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting. I've always had kind of a theory about what I do is that if I get new information, change my opinion. And I'm not your classic journalist, obviously, I'm not a boots on the ground guy. But I'm texting, texted NFL two NFL gms today about something so and you have the same content contacts and the same kind of effort.
Speaker 2: Is that we're both.
Speaker 1: Seeking information constantly and sometimes I just get new information. And I was very cool on Ryan Poll's you know former offensive lineman the Bears GM a Vilas Jones pick. I could not stand at number three. I just thought it was a complete with and I thought they just didn't do their homework or their sec scout didn't do their homework because at sc he couldn't track the ball. He was a returner.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 1: I didn't love the Chase Claypool move, but I understood it. Mooney was a smaller player, Chase was a big body, had a great rookie year. Distracted player didn't work. But I got to tell you, as a former offensive lineman, I think he's put some effort into draft capital, and I think their left tackle and right tackle can both play. They had another tackle they moved inside. They've saved his career I thought the Dj Moore move, Keenan Allen, DeAndre Swift, Gerald Everett, I've got to be honest, I did not a year ago. I did not trust Ryan Poles the GM of the Bears. But I've got new information. The other thing they're doing, which the Steelers aren't. The Steelers and the Bears are defined defensively. They're cultures. I mean, outside of Bradshawn Ben and some talented receivers, it's a defensive culture. He is saying, No, that's not what we're gonna do here. We're gonna spend money on offense. That's what the Rams do, the Browns are doing, That's what the Chiefs are doing. It's the opposite of the Steelers. So I find over the last two weeks when he went and got Keenan DeAndre Swift, good pass catching running back, twenty five year old kid, good player, not a great player, good player, and then Gerald Everett with Cole Kamet, those are functional, smart players. I've got to be honest. Between Caleb, who I really like, between these offensive pieces, I almost feel like I've got new information. I think I think the Bears got the GM right. How is he viewed inside the league.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think he had what has potential to be one of the great moves in the history of the league in that trade that he made last year with the Carolina Panthers, right, because for a while looked like he was going to be defined on some of his worst moves that was early on. I mean, that Chase Claypool move was pretty embarrassing because his pick ended up being really high, and I think the Steelers ended up drafting Joey Porter Junior, who's a really high end play. I mean, that pick at the high at the beginning of the second round is very, very valuable. But that Carolina Panther trade, I mean truly was a game changer. And if Caleb he does not have to become Patrick Mahomes, if he just as a top ten NFL quarterback, which would be probably the best quarterback in the history of the franchise, it would change their franchise forever. And he took advantage of a team and an owner who was desperate and cleaned up right, and he also added one of their best players who was under contract in Dj Moore. Because my first thought last year when they traded for Swam, I'm like God, that's a little much. Well then they immediately got him. They started winning games, their defense was better, so their draft pick actually ended up not as bad. They got him under contract and like, actually that aged pretty well. I had to kind of eat that. I was like, well, that's not as crazy as it looked. So yeah, when you work for Andy and Veitch and John Dorsey, he was around a lot of high level people for a while, and I think it's fair. I'm sure you would agree, and you've done this just like most people. Every human being makes bad business decisions. Most people's are not public as a GM. Every move you make is very public, right, so you're gonna have bad ones, but it doesn't have to define you if your great moves are awesome. Joe Douglas has had some really good moves for the Jets, but his quarterback moves so far have just not worked out, and it's going to ultimately get him fired if they don't work. So, if you figure out the quarterback situation, which they are primed to do in Chicago, all these other kind of they're not even antler moves because they were kind of big, have a chance to. If DJ Morris is in the pro Bowl for a couple of years, and Sweat's a pro bowler. I mean, we're gonna talking about this guy like a top ten GM and if he can get the Bears as a winning operation. Now, as a GM, you're also very dependent on your head coach. There is no great general manager that doesn't either have a good de great head coach. So you don't once the season starts, you're not implementing anything. You're not with the player, you're not doing anything. Really, Chris Verry, Chris Balar gets a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Balard's reputation is going to improve over the next two years because of Shane Steichen.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean he has might have the next Kyle Shanahan, right, So it's gonna it's gonna change his life, right, it already did this year. The quarterback got hurt. We're all like, oh, culture screwed. All of a sudden, they're in the playoff Mixed Week seventeen with Gardner Minshew, So there's a lot of pressure on Eberflus And most GMS get two coaches, so this was kind of a packaged deal. Pollyan, remember was involved with the hiring of these guys. He was definitely Eberflus. So if this doesn't work out, you get another one. You gotta get it right, because if he gets it right with Caleb and the player, he could be viewed as an elite guy. But if he doesn't a lot like the quarterback position, just because you have a good quarterback, if your coach isn't good enough, you're gonna be in trouble. I think the pressure on Iberflus, Sirianni, and McCarthy because of their markets, because I mean it's the Cowboys. He has no years left on his contract. They almost fired Siriani like two months ago. Those guys are going to be in their own little stratosphere and the way we talk about it. But I think eber Flus that the pressure starts immediately because of their roster, because of the talent, and because they have a quarterback that we've been talking. It happened in Jacksonville right part of Urban Meyer. Obviously there was a lot going on, but like you got handed Trevor Lawrence, So to me, the pressure gets multiplied by like ten. You know that Frank Reich, all of a sudden, we draft this guy at number one, we trade our franchise. I gotta fire you. It's not where that adds an element of pressure with the high quarterback pick, or it makes you Demiko get the guy right, like god, Dimko's a shooting rocket ship. Now he might he would have been probably saw it. He would have figured out because Demko's pretty special. But I don't know. I mean, Lose looks like he's changed his look feels a little younger, and.
Speaker 1: He noticed that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so his team's good. I mean, there's no disputing the roster talent is I mean, Keenan Allen's are real. They have multiple receivers, they have a tight end, they got some good they have picks. The thing, it's not like they just got Kleb then it'll pick again until the second round. They have the ninth pick in the draft, so the ability to either trade back or take a player. Imagine if they get that right. So they have this really talented roster on paper already, and they had Caleb Williams and player X. If that guy becomes an immediate impact player, we're talking about this team as a wild card.
Speaker 1: Well, I I if I was Chicago, I'd trade down at nine.
Speaker 3: I really would.
Speaker 1: Again, you're in a we've talked about the Chargers and the Giants. I think those positions like five and six are too rich for some of these quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 1: You know, if somebody wants to go Raiders eleven to nine, that's.
Speaker 3: Different than eleven. Denver sitting right there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I could see where the Bears move down just three spots. Because this draft, I've been told, has eighteen first round players. It's usually about fifteen to sixteen. This feels like eighteen or night. The UCLA end is kind of the end of perceived first round talent, you know, the end of the first round, Those last eight to nine picks, it's no man's land. Everybody would rather have top of the second picks. But I've heard the UCLA rush end is probably in that small group of last considered elite start day one players be very productive. So I do think the Bears are in a good spot. Jalen Johnson the corner, Montese Whatt defensive line. I would think if they've got two receivers. Now, my take was their offensive moves in free agency signaled that that number nine pick is going to go defense. They got to get Ibra flu something, right. You can't just keep saying I got receivers. I got tight ends, and for the record, I think they probably they probably need I mean, if you look at that position, there's a verse from Florida State. They could probably use another rush end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could take the Bama pass rusher as well. You could take one of those two guys for sure. If you get stuck. The one thing with Chicago, you'd say that division. Detroit kept their offensive coordinator, who I think a lot of people view as the lynchpin of that operation. So they're gonna be good again. The talent on that roster is not really debatable. It's top five to six in the NFL that the Lions roster, And like most people, it's hard to bet against the Packers if Jordan Love is going to be a good player, So it's it's like it's going to be easy for them right that they're playing. And if Minnesota is just a credible operation with a lot of good talented players, it's going to be a challenge. And even if Caleb is really good, it's the NFL is hard. I mean, Peyton Manning set a record for interceptions this rookie year. So it's it's just the pressure that comes along with it. Now, Caleb, like you know, a lot of guys in recent memory has been under the spotlight. He's used to it, he's used to getting paid, so the money shouldn't overwhelm them. But there's when's the last time the Bears had this much pressure slash interest going into probably fifteen plus years ago.
Speaker 1: When's the last time they had this much offensive talent? When's the last time the Bears had a legitimate star number one receiver and a legitimate star number two receiver that's just not that you know, and a star quarterback. I couldn't tell you the last time he had Jay Cutler. Didn't he have al Seon Jeffrey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had Alshon. They had Brandon Marshall for a minute, they had those two guys. They were solid, they were a real team, and that's kind of what this. But Jay by that time was a veteran player played Okayleb's been in Lincoln Riley's offense. There is a little bit of a jolt, you know, yet Waldron runs more of the Shanahan operation. There's time to just get used to playing in a system where you're probably under center a little more now. Part of it is as an offensive coordinator. You're not going to force him to do things he doesn't want to do, but you also have to kind of find a middle ground. So I'm fascinated. I Like you said, Ryan Poles, I give him an a plus. For about the last twelve months, he's been kicking ass and taking names.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's done a really good job. And that's just one of the things I believe to be true. Like I never understood Lessen. You could criticize me all day long, but it's like I changed my position all the time because I get new information. The other thing I think is funny about being in a public job, whether you're a quarterback or a mayor a talk show host, things that looked like a hot take end up not being a hot take. I mean, if I'd told you a year before it happened, Kevin Durant's going to go to the Warriors, he'd be like, well, you're talking about Oklahoma City is a finals level team. And you know, if you'd just said, you know, Sean Payton's going to take that Denver job. I mean, I remember when he took it. I was he wouldn't talk to me the last couple of days when the rumor got out, and I'm like, he wanted the Chargers job. He didn't want that Russell Wilson thing. That's not gonna There are so many There are so many situations that I would have said ten years ago it's a hot take, Like I didn't get JJ McCarthy at all, and then all of a sudden, I got two people from the combine. One said, yeah, we just talked to him at the whiteboard. She was unbelievable, and I was like, oh, that's what I heard about Baker before he went one. And then all of a sudden, I saw twenty one extra pound show up. So the JJ McCarthy stuff is kind of one of these. If you'd have said it a year ago, there's gonna be a wild pursuit of JJ McCarthy to be a top five quarterback. A year ago, I would have been like, you're out of your mindy sky.
Speaker 3: A year ago, I would have said, watching the Penn State game four months ago, like you're nuts. The Ohio State he played, He made some plays against Ohio State in Alabama. Too great that. But here's the thing. When you draft a guy, you're not really just thinking about Week one, right, you're really thinking about twenty twenty seven, twy twenty eight, two thousand and thirty. You're thinking about him being your quarterback for a decade plus. He just turned twenty one years old. For example, Will Levis is going to be twenty five, right, so it's like the age matters. What he was asked to do matters. I saw John Lynch talk to the press today and he's like, he's like, you know, I wanted to go to the USC Pro Day and he's like, one of my main sky like, don't waste your time. Go to the Michigan Pro Day. They have eighteen players we ain't taken Caleb. Go watch the talent. So he played on a team Colin that is gonna set potentially the NFL record for players drafted in one individual draft. They already set the combine record that they set six offensive line only five guys can play. I don't even know how that's possible, right, but that shows you. It's like USC Matt Castle's getting drafted, He's not even taking a snap. Shows you the talents at a different level. Well, when I out talent, most people I don't need to be playing like Lincoln Riley and that you know, try to score forty five points. That's not how hardball's ever played. So I think you start, you know, judging him on the context of everything and character and all the intangible stuff. Let's face it, it doesn't matter as much as the other positions. Jalen Carter has a ton of red flags. He's a six foot five, three hundred and twenty pound interior rusher. He was never falling out of the top ten if a quarterback had those. I don't care how talented he is. He's not getting drafted. I yeah, he's just not so wide receivers, defensive lineman people are ye. I will figure it out. Well, quarterback matters.
Speaker 1: Marvin Harrison Junior, I think benefits from his dad's very sort of quirky personality. His dad, you know, it's very well known.
Speaker 3: I've never even heard the guy talk his dad or Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 1: So it was very well under I mean I had a source tell me, I've had two sources, once when he was playing and once recently talking about Marvin Harrison's dad. Like he didn't like after practice. Sometimes he wouldn't shower in the facility. He would literally go home. He didn't hang out with the players. So he was an odd ball. Like, first of all, he only played on one side of the field with Peyton Manning. He was sort of kind of a rigid, rigid personality. There was the story about gun charges, Philadelphia murder. I mean, there's a lot of shit out there. So his son doesn't goes to the combine, he won't talk, he won't do a pro day, he won't go to the combine. And my takeaway is, well, his dad, you can watch him play. He just doesn't look like anybody else. I love Roma Dunza, but he didn't have quite the explosiveness. The kid out of LSU is good. He didn't quite have you know. Harrison's just he's like Calvin Johnson, I just don't see any holes. And the truth is Ohio State does good job with receivers and his dad is probably given him all sorts of insight. So it's funny about like people are getting caught up in hair Marvin Harrison and they're like, oh, he doesn't talk, it's odd. I'm like, that's dad that I mean, people, Marvin Harrison. There's a thirty for thirty there, Like, I mean, I know everything about Randy Moss. I know a lot about Calvin Johnson, who's a pretty reticent guy, doesn't talk. I don't know anything about Marvin Harrison's. There's two great thirty for thirties that have never been done. Michael Jordan's Wizard years they were.
Speaker 3: That won't get done yet.
Speaker 1: It was as show and Michael won't let any of that stuff out. And the second one is Marvin Harrison in in Indianapolis. I mean he was, I mean it was, he was on the team, but players would tell you he just wasn't one of the guys like at all. So that's his son. So I'm like, I kind of chalk it up to like fatherlike son.
Speaker 3: Yeah. One thing I saw with textan around. You know, I don't know if Marvin Harrison was gonna run like four four five yeah, and if you run four five two, you know, when we're talking about the elite of the elite, Larry Fitzgerald, the Julio Jones. Julio Jones ran like a four four to four with a broken foot. Remember at his pro day. You know, the Calvin Johnson's of the world, he's not quite that. And his dad's like, none of this stuff matters, just it doesn't matter. So he's not doing any of it. He's at any other position, or I mean at the quarterback position, it would be weird. Like even Caleb threw at the Pro day right, which I give him credit because when you work out at a pro day, who doesn't help Brendan Rice? It helps your teammates. Marvin Harrison's in his own little world. No one cares if wide receives are in their own little world. You watch wide receivers during contract negotiations in the NFL. It's always a big hooplaw. It's just not like that at other positions. So you know, you talk to people in the NFL, they don't all believe that Marvin might be the best prospect in this draft, the kid at LSU. But he's got some off the field questions. Rome is probably a little safer, bigger. But is he as fast is he is Chris? You know, it depends who you talk to. Where all these guys are getting drafted somewhere between six and twelve, So I mean, at the end of the day, that's the other thing that bothers me. Like he fell in the draft, he went seventh or ninth. You know, it's not falling in the draft. Quarterbacks push guys down. Offensive linemen push guys down. If you get drafted at eleventh overall, you're you're pretty highly viewed in NFL circles. I think it's safe to say.
Speaker 1: So. One of the things John Middlecalff three and n former NFL scout. One of the things people come up to me all the time when I mentioned my podcast or they asked me about the volume. And you've got a lot of fans out there. And one of the things that I think is strength is your a very relatable guy. You like your vodka, you like your gambling. You know, you're just like a relatable guy. You like your golf. I want to talk about the show Hey o Tani story because my takeaway and I know it came off as sort of maybe callous, but as long as he didn't bet baseball, I don't care. First of all, our life experience is shape us. My first job out of college was Vegas. I just knew gamblers. It didn't mean anything. I didn't think they were bad people. I mean people are doing things on Wall Street with my four oh one K. I have much greater concerns that what they're doing in a sports book at the Hilton. The second thing is when you're young and you're making a lot of money, and like I'm not talking like a million dollars, I'm talking like Mahomes show. You have people that are really doing a lot of your work for you. You're not doing your books, you know. I mean everybody in Hollywood, even even be actors, they have entertainment attorneys and accountants. Shohetani is not looking at his checking account like the rest of us are, Like he has no IY. He may have multiple checking accounts in Los Angeles to avoid taxes. You know, you've got LLC's es corpse. You're doing whatever you can. Now he's a he's an employee, so there's limitations on what he can do. But you know you're all trying to in California with thirteen and a half percent you know, state taxes to avoid it. This part, I totally believe he's not watching his checking account like that money is going to his attorneys, it's going to his stock portfolio. I heard when Tiger Woods was in his prime, he was sending a check of And I'm not just like twenty million a month to his financial advisor like they just off the top, twenty million, two hundred and forty million dollars. It was something something absurd like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was. He was making one hundred million dollars a year. So if you yeah it was he million dollar check or ten million dollar check, it's not that crazy. Maybe it was.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was twenty million dollars a year off the top, just went to the market. It was some absurd amount. And you know you're not You've got people that do this. I can buy Otani saying, listen, man, he's a friend. I have a checking account. I gave him, you know, I it's like power of attorney. I allowed him to take some stuff out because I just I'm busy, and it goes sideways fast. That's a lot of money. If you're drawing stuff out of Otani's account and it's seven million dollars your thing and I'm taking four. Granted he doesn't have a clue, which he doesn't. I can buy that Otani didn't know and feels completely burned by a friend. I can buy that, can you.
Speaker 3: Yeah? I actually played golf last week with a guy that owns a big insurance company in Boston, and he has actors and major League Baseball players, basically their life insurance accounts. And he said he's never talked to one of them. He just was on the phone getting business with one of the He wouldn't tell me the name. He's like, you know rules, but one of the main actresses in Hollywood, and he talked to the person that runs all of her money and all she has to do is say yes or no and they'll do it. And that he runs the point she's not checking or checking account every day, like you said, like me right, So to me, I think there's twofold on this one. The overreaction that gambling. I grew up around. My dad was a farmer and knew a lot of people that risked a lot in business, and that was their mentality, and they gambled a lot. I've been around a lot of gamblers my entire life. People have been gambling since the history of time. It's got to be one of the longest running professions in the world. People have been doing it well before any of this stuff existed, goes back to the nineteen early nineteen hundreds. Was sports right, think about some of the scandals. So this reaction of like, well this is getting crazy this is Michael Jordan. One of the things we've he's known for is he's gambled all the time. So how it's this notion that guys don't think like that? Now? He denied it today. He claimed that he knew nothing about it, right, And I heard you say if he had done it, as long as he's not betting on his team to lose, which I understand, I don't even think would be that big a deal if he was gambling one year, gambling on football or EPL soccer, who cares? And two it's very realistic. He just signed a seven hundred million dollar contract where he was cool getting twenty million dollars over the next ten years. Does that not show you how rich the guy is? Yeah, name me another human you know, I like Warren Buffett that would agree to mean.
Speaker 1: People forget how much money like Kobe Bryant made in Turkey or Brad Pitt made overseas, Like American audiences have no idea when you're George Clooney, your Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, you're making thirty million dollars a year. Leonardo DiCaprio, European commercial, go to you go to Italy, and Leonardo DiCaprio is like commercials in Italy. Kobe Bryant made a fortune in China, in Turkey, so can you imagine what shoe O Tani makes in Asia.
Speaker 3: Well, it's reported that it's sixty million this upcoming year. It easily could be way higher. I remember when Hadeki Matsiyama won the Masters and Paul Aisinger is like, he might be the next billion dollar athlete, just Japanese golfer. Right, there's a small percentage. Remember Yao Ming we talked about forever. The Asian market is huge one like they were very close. Clearly they'd known each other for a while. Not crazy that he stole. I think it's crazier than a bookie. I'm fascinated by this bookie to be able to run lines at four point five million dollars, Like how you have the ability to run a line of credit like even Vegas? Right, a big money guy, I mean a million dollar line of credit for a super rich guy with a company that's worth hundreds of month. That's pretty big. So you're getting lines of credit this guy must I'm fascinated by this whole bookie. When it all comes out, this operation probably pretty big, which probably hints why the FEDS were after this guy. Maybe some Hollywood guys, but one I just don't really care. And my first reaction is I just want to see this guy play now. Strauss or Buddy wrote an article I couldn't disagree, more like I just think that it was his article basically saying that gambling is like I don't want to not ruining society, but just getting so aggressive and we're becoming numb to it. I say, well, what about alcohol? I mean alcohol, you want to It's been a driving force in society the history of time.
Speaker 1: Well, here's one of the things. Whenever I see journalists, you know, and they can be I think journalists, I've said this before my top criticism. They have agendas. Acknowledge it, we all do. And secondly, don't be naive. If you're going to be a journalist, then be a true journalist. Do you know the average bet with DraftKings is four dollars.
Speaker 3: It's hard to.
Speaker 1: Ruin your family if you're betting ten of those a day, Right, it's four dollars. I used to work for another gambling company. They told me their average bet was four and a half dollars. That includes big betters. The second thing, the disturbance or distortion rate gamblers is one percent, of which every time I read an ad, I have a one eight hundred phone number I have to give out. The distortion or disturbance rate with alcohol is six percent. Should we close all the bars in Chicago? Like and they don't read they say please drink responsibly. That's about the only warning you get. So my take on this, I do both.
Speaker 3: It's not even arguable. Alcohol is way worse for you than gambling. I don't care who you are, yeh.
Speaker 1: It's bad for your brain, it's bad for your finance. You're bad for your liver, you know. And also when you look at gambling, look at the hole the state lottery has. Look at how much money people give to the state lottery, and the small amount, the small amount the public a winner gets back the hold. In gambling, I bet fifty bucks in the game, and I don't I mean I make a good living. I bet twenty bucks in a two three teen parlay the hold on a straight bet fifty percent chance I get it back.
Speaker 3: Ethan also defended Otani in the sense that if he was gambling, it is complicated. If foreign you come to this country and wait, I can I play in Arizona it's legal. I come to California, it's illegal. I go to Texas, it's illegal. But then I go to Chicago. It's like it is kind of complicated, right, So in the league's jumped head first into this, and I think for the players, the NFL found immediately that it was a complicated scenario, and they got really aggressive with the punishment. Obviously, you can't cover, you know, gamble on sports. You're allowed to gamble on other sports. You just have to leave the facility. But it's they jumped so fast, and then they expected everyone to follow the rules. But money's all relative. I mean, I heard I played golf with a guy that caddied at the big country Club in Arizona, and he says there are countless gambling games where putts can be two to three hundred thousand dollars by the eighteenth toll. So money which to that guy, if he's worth five hundred millions, no different than if I'm worth one hundred thousand. Now I'm betting hundred one thousand dollars A lot of money to me. So money four point five million dollars sounds a lot of money to ninety nine point nine percent of people. To show Aotani. Let's face it, it is a tiny, tiny percentage of his yearly income, let alone the guy's net worth. Well, if he's even gambling, if you want to believe him, I simply don't care. I just want to watch him play baseball. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, the greatest basketball player ever in many eyes is Michael Jordan, prodigious gambler. The best analyst in NBA history is Charles Barkley, noted gambler. Like we think of football and gambling, the truth of the matter is basketball players, golfers. It's just part of our culture. And I think if you look, you know, I'll be honest with you, John when I'm out. I've been a public figure for a while, right, maybe the thirteenth wrong of a public figure in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: People know you, Colin, people know you.
Speaker 1: So when I go out, the overwhelming thing people say for six months of the year, Hey, what's your blaze in five this week? That's what I've been doing that for hold on, I've been doing Blazing five for nineteen years. So this is not like Draftking sponsors the show. I'm pro gram. I've been doing this for everyone. I made nothing on it. Now I do DraftKings help support the volume and other ventures. But I think you have to understand Europe's been way ahead of us on this. And people may say, oh, there's just there's ads everywhere. You don't have to watch the ads. There's also tire ads, mattress ads have dominated sports my entire life. Beer ads there's I mean college athletics. There's like hard alcohol ads, like binge drinking alcohol. So I'm not just saying this because of my relationship, our relationship as a company with this. In the end, I think if Ethan Strauss did make that argument, and I'm sure he did, that it's confusing for Otani. I'm making the argument that when you make that kind of money, people are running your bank accounts, and I could absolutely you say to yourself, day, four million dollars, it's amazing. If you just kept taking out twenty grand, twenty grand, you start looking at that account, I bet you he doesn't even see that account at all.
Speaker 3: I also think that the overall discussion, I think about some people that I'm still friends with, either that I grew up with and then that I went to college with. One of our binding connections is gambling, and one thing A lot of journalists who and people in the media, I would say that have the journalistic background that talk about this stuff. Wouldn't you say a large percentage of them not only have never gambled, but will never gamble. That it's not really it's not their thing. It's not in their DNA where you said, I'm a normal guy. I just do what most people do, like most of my friends in life. And I don't mean they gamble thousand dollars, but they just don't. I get texts all the time during football. Who do you like this weekend? You like tonight? I mean, that's just how people discuss. And we were discussing. We were talking like that well before Draft Kings and these other companies ever came around. That's right.
Speaker 1: It's like I was the other night and and I went to a Bulls game and I was laughing. I'm like, I said, you know, Ann and I got we like to have a cocktail, and we'll have a couple of cocktails, watch the game in last we're just having a ball together. And we went out later that night and I said are we the only people in this arena having fun? Like everybody else is watching the game, and I'm like, we got cocktails, We're having a good time. Thirty percent of Americans don't drink. Fifty percent of Americans don't bet. I mean Jesus half the men. I mean fifty percent. I think it's all the intimacy in America is by fifty percent of the men. There's a lot of people not gambling, not drinking, not sex. And it's like, thank god, I'm on the other side of that.
Speaker 3: Thank God, it's be a shitty life. I don't want to know anything about I'll punch you out.
Speaker 1: I've seen your beautiful girlfriend.
Speaker 3: You're in great shape, all right.
Speaker 1: DraftKings did release its win total, so we both talked about the power of Kirk Cousins. Atlanta is a shocking ten and a half over under and the Vikings, who I think are stacked offensively, are at six and a half. That's Kirk Cousins. Let me throw another one at you, this one. So I when the Jets last year had Aaron Rodgers, I said, listen, the history of old quarterbacks is they got to have good old lines. Russell Wilson's first year in Denver, they didn't. He's stunk. Stafford Rams did. Then his third year, I think it was they didn't.
Speaker 3: He struggled.
Speaker 1: Brady's first year in Tampa Exte they had injuries. It wasn't as good. You can't have a forty year old. That's why Atlanta for Kirk Cousins works. That's a really good old line. That's why Jared Goff works. He's younger, but great old line. So the Jets have signed some kind of like Tyron Smith, who will play about thirteen games a year, kid from the Ravens. The Jets are nine and a half, and I'm like time out. If you look at the AFC, Deshaun Watson's back, you know, Herbert's got a legitimate coach. C. J. Stroud is moving up fast. Trevor Lawrence will be healthy. You know two of Mike McDaniels are going nowhere. Josh Allen now has between kN Kaid and Cook has some really nice offensive weapons. I look at the Jets and nine and a half and I think, boy, you are that's a bad old line for an old quarterback of an achilles surgery. I said it this year during the season. Aaron being relevant in January to me is over. It's nothing against Aaron, It's just old quarterbacks and crappy on lines don't work. What do you make on No, I would bet the under on that all day.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been down on them, but if I wanted to make the case, Miami just lost a ton of talent. Yes, they had a lot of guys walk out the door. They also lost Vick Fangio and their defense was already in question, and Vic called them out, thinking like no one wants to focus. And I think a lot has to do with the city they live in. Are they about to pay two of forty five to fifty million dollars a year? Because if they do, I'm out, And so to me, Miami still has some question marks. Even if we all agree Mike is a great play caller quarterback, I'm definitely not sold on. And defensively, I mean, they just lost their best defensive player. He just walked in free agency the Patriots. Now the Jets finally beat him. I think week whatever, the last week of the season have owned The Jets didn't Bill beat him like eight straight seasons swept him. Well, Bill's gone. I think the Patriots got a couple of years of coming to Jesus, and Robert Craft is about to find out what the NFL is really like. It could be ugly there and then the Bills. Like whenever I see the Super Bowl windows closed, I laugh. As long as you have Josh Allen. When you have Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, your roster can be in flux. You got a chance. But the Jets did beat them in one game last year, so I'd have to look at the rest of their schedule. I eight to nine wins best. That's assuming Aaron Rodgers, who was facing you, go back, because part of Russell Wilson isn't just the last two years. Remember the last year in Seattle. So now it's a body of work going the wrong way. Aaron, the last year in Green Bay, something was off. It might have just been age. In the history of sports, most guys at thirty eight thirty nine aren't trending the wrong way. I know he's a healthy guy. He looks good, but he wasn't quite as fast. His arms still there, But a huge part of his ability was the ad lib that made him a great.
Speaker 1: Play John the analytics Greg Cosell and Warren Sharp and others were on this. Aaron's analytics is he just didn't run anymore, like and if he doesn't run, I mean, say.
Speaker 3: What, he's not as fast probably anymore. So he doesn't want to risk getting tackled or hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, old guys don't want to get hit. I mean, you know, Eli Manning and Brady Mastered get rid of it quick or figure out how to roll and not get hit. So I don't think Aaron. I also think Aaron isn't quite as committed as a lot of the young guys that are really bigger, stronger, And I think the only way to be good is sort of to be focused like Kirk cousins later or obsessed like Brady. I don't think there's a way to be casually and Aaron, you know, I've heard this from multiple people. Aaron, He's not going to sit and watch game film all weekend. That's not what he's going to do as a personality. He's going to read some things and listen in the music and do his own thing. He is not Brady on the film. He's not Peyton, he's not Breeze as a workaholic. Aaron is one of those guys.
Speaker 3: He had more physical capability than those guys.
Speaker 1: It's like a rock star, you know. The Bonos and the bands edges that have survived didn't have long periods of drug use, like they took care of their boy, they partied, but they have aged very well. The bands that didn't haven't. Like I think Aaron didn't quite take the same level of care, and I think he's aging faster than other guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think if he can't move anywhere remotely like he used to, that's the problem. The one thing he has going that Peyton lost, Breeze lost rob Their arms failed them. You know, Rogers arm is still strong, so to me, he's still going to be able to function. But I think his day, the day and age of him just being some lock elite player, it's been gone now for a couple of years, and I just think the question now is the pressure on the offensive coordinator, which, let's face it, if you just pulled people in the NFL, Isnate hack it any good or is he not any good? Most people say he's not any good, And then the other reason he's there is because he messes with Aaron. So is Aaron just telling him what to do? Like, there's got to be a little give and take. And you saw how many times this year with Aaron shaking his head, you know, with play calls when he would show up. It's just I think it's got a chance to be a pat They do have some players that there's no disputing that they have impact players on both sides of the ball. But if you can't protect a quarterback who now can't really move Jared Goff, like you said, can't move, we's got arguably the best offensive line in the league doesn't need to move well. If these guys, if Smith gets hurt, if Moses gets hurt, if their intier offensive line isn't any good, you're sitting duck. Even Zach Wilson kept them alive last year because he just kind of scramble around. And so yeah, I think the Jets are fascinating that division, though. I think I think Miami could be in for uh come back to the to the the average a little bit, and the Patriots are in for real NFL life now. The other thing, I saw the Cowboys like ten and a half too. That seems a little high. I mean they've lost a lot of players.
Speaker 1: So by the way, Niners, Ravens, Chiefs eleven and a half. I tend to bet the enders once you get into that space. Lions, Packers, Eagles, Bill's, Bengals, Dolphins, Falcons, Cowboys, Falcons, the head scratcher a little bit ten and a half, Texans Jets nine and a half. I'd buy that with the Texans, I don't with the Jets. Rams pull back to eight and a half. I think Aaron Donald they subtract a win. I thought they would be nine and a half ish, Viking's very low, Kirk Cousin's not there, and Patriots Panthers at four and a half, Titans Broncos five and a half. Again, I do believe with the Broncos, I think they're going to draft a quarter and I think, to be honest with you, bon Nicks would win immediately because I think he's got sixty one starts. I just interview. I talked to the kid last week for thirty minutes, thirty five minutes on and off the air.
Speaker 3: He's just a grown up.
Speaker 1: He's ready to play NFL football, whether or not you think he has this high ceiling. That kid's seen it. You know, he said five offensive coordinators in five years, and he's worked with all of them. He's gonna work.
Speaker 3: I think adversity has proven to matter a lot with a lot of these quarterbacks that have had some struggles in college, like Mahomes wasn't winning a lot. Josh Allen was told, we don't have scholarships for you, right. Lamar Jackson tumbled in the draft. Bo Nick's got his ass kicked in the SEC. I mean he was even when he transferred to Oregon. So yeah, I'm fascinated by him. I think he needs to go to the right spot. And Sean Payton, I mean, let's face they're kind of desperate right now. I guess they could just kind of roll it over a year, But I don't think Sean Payton's making eighteen million dollars a year to try to win four or five games. Like he's going to try to compete immediately in that division now with Harbaugh, and it got a lot harder even the Raiders. I don't know if Pierce is going to be a great head coach. They do have impact players. They're not like an easy team to play.
Speaker 1: No, No, They've I've said this for years. The Raiders have five or six and they have key positions star receiver, rush and left tackle, like if they could get a quarterback right. I don't doubt the Raiders because the shit at the end of the year, I thought they were really competitive, playing with a lot of fire and purpose with Aidan O'Connell. So I'm okay with it.
Speaker 3: By the way, I was in the car today and it turned you on right as you were talking to Mick Cronin about his struggles, and he gave the line, I still turn left on Sunset. That's one of the greatest lines I've ever heard. I don't think whether you win eight games or you win thirty, I still turn left on Sunset. That's that's an all timer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he comes over that hill from Encino. It's a left right by the Circular Hotel and you go left on Sunset into bell Air, then Beverly Hills, then right to UCLA. It's pretty good life.
Speaker 3: I haven't been to every campus in America, but when you walk on UCLA's campus there there's got to be a short list of campuses compete with that. Oh no, there's I don't think there's anything like it.
Speaker 1: God, I mean USC Stanford. You know, there's it's La, it's it's the Bay Area. But nope, there's nothing like UCLAB ever being to do. John Middlecoff, former NFL scouty. His podcast is three and Out, chopped it up for a little over an hour this week. Loved seeing you, buddy. We'll talk in a week.
Speaker 3: Okay to see you call.
Speaker 1: The volume. Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review