Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Steve Yanni, Brody Randall, Alyssa, Nate and Seth. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. And there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and before we turn on the mics, Steve said he's created a new jingle for trivia.
Speaker 3: Well, no, it's not for trivia.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 3: Over Christmas, we played a lot of Uno.
Speaker 2: With my kids, uh huh.
Speaker 4: And after a while we had we brought in the champions. Okay, to have a championship of champions. Who are the champions me and me and Maddie okay, And so I made up a song that goes, He's the champion. Enough champions, you can't be beat.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So when thinking of that this, we were talking about recording a championship and I was going to sing that at the championship a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, Phil, You're taking notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 2: He's just gonna isolate that audio.
Speaker 4: And now my daughter changed it to he's the Champion enough champions.
Speaker 3: He just got beat. Did you lose to her?
Speaker 2: Did you let her win?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But that was post that was a scrimmage.
Speaker 2: Okay. But in the Champion of Champions, who won between?
Speaker 3: I prevailed in the championship?
Speaker 2: Okay, good for you. You shouldn't let your kids win.
Speaker 3: It's bad, bad for him.
Speaker 4: After a long time, my older boy caught on that UNO is largely a game.
Speaker 2: Of luck that make him feel better or worse.
Speaker 3: He doesn't. He didn't like it as much.
Speaker 4: But then two nights ago I introduced my younger boy and I remember playing, like in high school, did you guys play a lot of in.
Speaker 3: Between for money?
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my god, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: That ruins friendships though, dude.
Speaker 4: So I was teaching him there night to play in between, which we're hot on right now, but for money, you know, we gamble.
Speaker 2: Now for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at the number seventy six. That's how many days it's been since Steve was last on Trivia ste where you been.
Speaker 4: Man all summer long and all most fall long. I was recording a new show, filming a new show.
Speaker 3: For History Channel.
Speaker 4: Called Hunting History, which is about we explore eight outdoor mysteries, things ranging from what exactly is up with cattle mutilations?
Speaker 2: Oh, what part of the country were you looking at in Oregon, Okay?
Speaker 4: Which is a way richer field. I blew it off. I blew it off. Yeah, it's a it's a.
Speaker 3: Way richer field of inquiry than.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We visited with ranchers who've had mutilated cattle.
Speaker 4: We visited, we visited, uh, we visited with like PhD.
Speaker 3: Animal pathologists, lots of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that happened around my hometown in like the early two thousands. And I feel like the typical experience was they would find a dead count that they would say had almost laser like precision of removing organs and removing eyeballs, And I think I think logical people accredit it to like scavengers pick out the eyeballs first, they go for the organs first, and and like some cattle will blow to a point where they just like split down the middle. Can you tell us what conclusion you came to we got to watch the show.
Speaker 4: You gotta watch the show. Okay, I ain't buying that it's aliens. We get into that, Okay, we go hang out with a rancher. I mean, I'm not talking like a some guy watching Yellowstone TV show. Yeah, a rancher. Rancher, dude, there is no He's gone through every possible explanation and the only thing he can land on is that it was not human.
Speaker 2: What years are we talking about this happened?
Speaker 4: What year did his happen? The bones are still laying there. We went out to Skelton, still laying there. I metal detected the whole area. I don't think it's aliens.
Speaker 5: Did he see anything that.
Speaker 3: Might have been extraterrestural? He did? We talk about it.
Speaker 2: I feel like South Dakota too. When it was happening in the early two thousands. That's when he was like ripe to have email chains, like stuff was getting prior to social media, stuff would just like get forwarded around a lot.
Speaker 4: I went to another site with a guy with a manager, a ranch manager went to a nur site where he had five bulls done in one night. Looked at those, Okay, a lot of pictures I don't want to get in too much what I think is going on.
Speaker 3: But uh, we took Kyle laid it out.
Speaker 4: Brand spanking new, brand spanking new, and laid it out and watch what happened to it?
Speaker 2: And you're you're coming at it from the perspective of an outdoorsmant which maybe isn't how other people had exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had. I had Mercer lnging with me because he does a lot of livestock work. We went out.
Speaker 4: I hung out with a houndsman who works on cattle depredations because all he does is look at dead Kyle's trying to figure out what happened to him hung out with him. He's got theories about what does it?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it aliens?
Speaker 3: He doesn't think that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 4: The pathologists have their own theories about what they think, which I I don't think.
Speaker 3: They're looking at it right.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Did one on the Donner Party?
Speaker 2: Mm? You went to where it happened? Everywhere it happened, okay, everywhere? Had you eat any folks on that episode didn't know?
Speaker 4: But I boiled hide. They had a lot of boiled hide when they first got stuck. They skinned out there.
Speaker 2: Before they started eating each other.
Speaker 4: They skinned out their horses and oxen and stuff after a while and ate the meat.
Speaker 3: Dry the meat, ate the meat, used the hides for shelters.
Speaker 4: Then they wound up needing to eat those hides, so boiled up some hide.
Speaker 3: See what that's all about?
Speaker 2: How that pass?
Speaker 3: Three? It's you know what, man, it's not it's flavored. It's weirdly.
Speaker 4: It's weirdly flavor flavorless, but it's real sticky and glooy.
Speaker 3: And then you know what.
Speaker 4: We just had this dude on the podcast, the guy that found the starved to death.
Speaker 2: Guy Okay in Alaska.
Speaker 4: He gave me a book which is in the twenties. These guys got in the twenties. These three guys went up into the Canadian Arctic and they were going to trap all winter, and they had a spot where they thought they could live on caribou, but the caribou never came, so they all starved to death.
Speaker 3: The youngest kid lived a long long time.
Speaker 4: Like the youngest kid didn't starve to death till endo June, and he kept a meticulous journal.
Speaker 3: Up till the end, and.
Speaker 4: Then had the wherewithal to put it in the wood stove. They didn't get found for a while later, put it in the woodstove with a sign that says looking woodstove. And there's his journal. And they were eating hides and they were eating crushed bone, just like the Donner Party people. But he describes as all of the time and effort they spent trying to make enema contraptions, because when you're boiling that crushed bone and eating that hide, it would obstruct their bowel, okay, And so they're sometimes trying to pick out of each other and out of themselves these wads dry bone that would form back up in your gut. And that's kind of what seems like that's what's killing them more than anything, is eating hide and bone.
Speaker 2: It like all thell Was it like anything else you'd eating?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: No, did remind me of miso soup?
Speaker 7: So did you pass everything? All? Right?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't eat many meals of it. But we made a shelter like how they made. We talked a lot of scientists, archaeologists, and it was kind of like like looking at like what like what did they do that? Like like what was what was mistakes they made.
Speaker 3: And what could have gone different?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: But the thing that people don't think about with the Donner parties, it was fifty percent children.
Speaker 2: You're right, I don't think about that.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people like, oh, I would have walked out of there, you know, fifty percent children? Yeah, from infants, like from infants up.
Speaker 2: So this new show that you were busy filming unting History that's kept me away from doing reason going to be on Trivia comes out later this month and that's on the History Channel. All right, Now, here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a Trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the media dot Com with the subject line I f a Q. Ben Stewart says, on one episode of Trivia, it was casually mentioned that Stephen Chester once wrestled and Chester pinned him. What's the story behind that?
Speaker 3: Did he? I got pictures of.
Speaker 5: It on the ice in North dakotzero something like that.
Speaker 2: Was it real wrestling or were you guys like.
Speaker 4: It's pretty bogged down with clothes probably the problem not Chester though.
Speaker 5: Did he stripped down in a wrestling uniform?
Speaker 1: Did one of you have COVID?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, I might have had No, I didn't have COVID.
Speaker 7: Everyone else I was healthy, and that was how it started. Jester and I had just gotten over COVID, so we were in the clear.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 3: He might have been like kind of amped up from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh of COVID.
Speaker 4: Do you know the funny thing about wrestling if I ever told you the story? But you know when you say, uh, like Doug Darren does like talk.
Speaker 3: To text, you know, uh huh.
Speaker 4: And one time we was saying, we're arguing about something and he said he was gonna he meant to say he was gonna.
Speaker 3: Arm wrestle me for it, but said he's gonna farm wrestle me for it. Not that we've laughed about that a million times. What exactly that table?
Speaker 2: Now we have some housekeeping to get to. On a previous episode of Trivia, we talked about how Jeopardy may have borrowed a question from me eater trivia. Oh, we now have the New York Times doing the same thing. They off our stuff word puzzle.
Speaker 4: Give me an example, just everything we do a podcast on some sucker there writes an article.
Speaker 2: About, all right, well here's what happened.
Speaker 3: They steal our stuff all the time.
Speaker 2: We've got more.
Speaker 4: One in that newsroom is a big fan of the podcast and steals our stuff.
Speaker 2: On October ninth, during Many Crossword Week on our website, I had a puzzle that was National Park themed for five across. The clue was, quote, one percent of Yellowstone is in this state. The answer was Idaho, and you can see this on Phil's screen there.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Five days later, for the New York Times Monday crossword puzzle, they had an eerily similar clue. Here's what their prompt was for thirty one down, quote state that contains a sliver of Yellowstone National Park. The answer was, of course, Idaho. Now that puzzle was created by Dana Edwards, who was making his New York Times crossword puzzle debut. Dana doesn't work at the Times. He's a journalist and photographer from the Columbia Journalism School, and from looking at his Instagram, I doubt he's even ever heard of meat eater. But he did say something very suspicious in his crossword column that week. Here's the quote. I used chat GPT to write some code to search my word list for phrases that used four sets of double letters. Dana was referring to one of his themes that week, which was words with double letters like Mississippi and Hollywood, Idaho wouldn't be part of the theme, he said he used chat gpt for but it does show that he leaned on AI to make his puzzle. If that obscure clue was borrowed from meat Eater, then it was likely fed to Dana via chat gpt. However, there's a decent chance that this is just a coincidence. The New York Times lead puzzle editor Will Schwartz said in a two thousand and nine interview that he receives over one hundred puzzles per week with a five percent acceptance rate, and crosswords are backlogged for two to six months. This makes it unlikely they used a clue from meat Eater just five days after it was published. But I have reached out to the New York Times crossword team so we can solve this. In the meantime, head over to the medeater dot com slash games to play our crossword puzzles that are so good that the New York Times wants to steal them. So they had almost almost word for word, the same exact clue, and I'll remind you. The New York Times has the entire dictionary, the entire encyclopedia. Everything on earth is at their disposal. I was only doing National Parks and they still use the same clue of a very obscure outdoor fact five days after I did. Yep, we're going to solve this. Now.
Speaker 3: I've written there a few times over the years.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're the maybe you're there. We've got a rat. We've figured it out.
Speaker 8: Now the sheltering what you were if that was a barbelle or if it was a double ended hot dog cooker, But now I see.
Speaker 2: It's a skinny man lifting a bunch of weight. Now the Shelby and Expert today is a four, So our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're on to the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 3: How's it just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Gamon Suckers. Question one. The topic is hunting and has always this will be multiple choice. Which of these states does not have a big horn sheep season? Is it South Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota. Hit me with them again, Which of these states does not have a big horn sheep season. You can see the question on Phil's TV. There your four choices. South Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, or North Dakota. Three of those states have a hunting season for big horn sheep. One of them does not.
Speaker 7: Some of a.
Speaker 2: Bitch, Steve's out of practice here?
Speaker 3: Can you get out of practice at trivia?
Speaker 2: If we were playing uno though, you boys be cooked? Randall? Can you reach for a new marker for Brody? I'd be happy you're having problems.
Speaker 1: Any preferences on color?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 9: I like, uh, you know, like a natural color like blue green.
Speaker 2: Which of these states does not have a big horn sheet in? South Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota.
Speaker 3: I am hating this question.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready, I don't.
Speaker 3: Hate this question. Did you style your hair like that? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just got a shower.
Speaker 9: We should encourage people to watch this episode on YouTube so they can see Honest's new hair do.
Speaker 3: I always like him a lot better. He's got that little buzz cut.
Speaker 8: This is the problem with long hair, is that if it just hangs down and gets annoying, so you gotta get it off your ears and off your forehead.
Speaker 3: It'll be buzz cut soon.
Speaker 2: You think that says more about you, Steve for more about Yanni. Me and both of you think he behaves better when he's got a buzz cut. You'd like him better.
Speaker 3: He's just gonna go through life better.
Speaker 1: Is more focused, more disciplined.
Speaker 5: Yea, it is warmer. I will give the law.
Speaker 9: My boys behaved better and when they got nice short haircuts.
Speaker 7: That's why I keep it long better, a little long in the winter because it's warmer.
Speaker 2: South Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, North Dakota. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have sex saying Nebraska, Steve Oklahoma, Randall Oklahoma, Alyssa Nebraska, Nate Nebraska, Jannis Oklahoma, Brody Oklahoma. Nobody picked a Dakota. It is not the Dakota's. The correct answer is Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah.
Speaker 2: South Dakota gives out nine tags, North Dakota gives out seven, and Nebraska gives out two. Oklahoma had their first documented big horn sheep in twenty twelve, when a carcass was found near Black Mesa in the state's Panhandle. More sightings have happened in the last decade, with a small herd traveling between Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico.
Speaker 5: Cool Question two.
Speaker 2: The topic is gear. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Jerry Mitchell for sending this great question. Jerry is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com. According to the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute, twenty gage shotgun shells should be this color.
Speaker 3: He's the.
Speaker 2: Steve even Mystic, as well as Seth Randall and Brody. According to Sammy, twenty gage shotgun shells should be this cul. I think you should have picked the more obscure games.
Speaker 3: Yeah stupid, I got Yeah. Phil was back Phil.
Speaker 1: You notice anything new about Phil?
Speaker 4: Let me stand up, Let me see huh oh you're you're you're low setup like the better.
Speaker 3: He looked like a DJ.
Speaker 5: I was giving a serious back problem.
Speaker 7: So I'm down here now.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this. Brody and Steve, I picked this specific gauge because they are very firm on their language, and they are not as firm on their language. Got other gauges, So I don't think that's giving a hint, but they are adamant about this gauge and this color.
Speaker 9: After this question, I'm gonna tell you what my favorite color for the cages.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll test you guys on colors and gauges.
Speaker 8: Be I'll tell you about a Christmas present I got involving some shotgun shells.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be jealous again. According to Sammy, twenty gage shotgun shells should be this color. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Steve and Randall saying yellow. Alyssa says green, Nate says yellow.
Speaker 3: He crossed out than that he was gonna say blue.
Speaker 2: Yannis says yellow, Brody says yellow. They got it. The correct answer is yellow, Although it's not a loss. Sammy strongly recommends AMMO manufacturers should make their twenty gage shells yellow. It used to be commonplace for shotgun shells to be color coded, but AMMO companies have taken more liberties in recent years. I'm gonna test you guys. Do you know what ten gauge is usually brown?
Speaker 3: Brown?
Speaker 2: Do you know what twelve gauges?
Speaker 5: Red?
Speaker 2: Red or black? Red or black? Sixteen?
Speaker 3: Purple?
Speaker 2: Purple, twenty eight gauge what was it? Twenty eight gauge blue green, four tens are red though four ten is red. That's right, So I remind you ten gauge brown, twelve gauge red or black, sixteen gauge purple, twenty eight gauge green, four ten red.
Speaker 7: I was duck hunting last weekend and had was shooting at twelve gauge and I had four different colors.
Speaker 2: Oh, I read and this was not from an official source. It was more forum chatter that it became less common to color coordinate after they started stamping brass, which wasn't always the case. Makes sense, Brody, you had a favorite, I said at sixteen gage they were all purple. Sixteen My dad to sixteen and Yanni, you're going to share with us your Christmas gift A ken Yeah.
Speaker 8: I got a reusable meaning artificial wreath that is adorned with red and yellow shotgun shells over one hundred, according to my brother in.
Speaker 2: Law, a homemade one seth. What were those four colors you were grabbing from?
Speaker 7: There was green, there was like a tannish color, There was red, There was actually five colors. There was black, and there was blue.
Speaker 2: The other one i'd say about twelve gauge being red. I feel like I have a lot that you'd call maroon instead of red.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what the whatever the bismuth the what's the federal bismuth stuff? That's like a maroon?
Speaker 3: I guess yeah.
Speaker 7: Question three times I would put three different shells in just to see which one hit better.
Speaker 2: Question three. The topic is Noah defines this as quote a fishing practice that herds and captures the target species by towing a net along the ocean floor.
Speaker 3: He's a champ.
Speaker 2: Champ, couldn't tell Steve likes his answer. Whiteboard is already down. This is Question three. Topic is conservation. Noah defines this as a fishing practice that herds and captures the target species by towing a net along the ocean floor.
Speaker 3: Who I got a trivia question for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just fleshed and stretched the river outer I caught.
Speaker 3: Remember we had those ladies on and got mauled by the otter of your neighbor. People are like, I don't think you I would have killed it with.
Speaker 4: I just fleshed and stretched a river otter. Do you take Here's a tri trivia question. It's a it's a tiebreaker. How long does that hide?
Speaker 5: Specifically the one Steve was fleshing.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like forty one inches five eleven?
Speaker 3: Wowow, it's tip of nose to tip of tail five eleven.
Speaker 2: Damn is that just a normal sized hoter?
Speaker 3: You think giant?
Speaker 1: I think that Otter tells everybody six feet.
Speaker 3: And chees.
Speaker 9: You can get that thing stuffed into a pillow.
Speaker 4: No, I can't do it. I haven't decide I'm gonna do it yet. I might get a hat. I might do it the hat as a wall hanger. I have decided.
Speaker 2: That makes me terrified of a seatter, knowing that thing was five eleven kill you again. This as a fishing that herds and captures the target species by towing a net along the ocean floor. Steve is very confident. I think Brody likes his answer. Randall does have an answer. I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I like mine.
Speaker 2: Okay, Randall probably the only boat here. He may not know it.
Speaker 1: Steve right, Did I change mine based on Steve's?
Speaker 2: He just laughing at rand It could be genuine.
Speaker 3: Or don't change it. I thought we were trying to throw them.
Speaker 5: Steve, did you write yours on the brown side.
Speaker 3: I got a weird board. It's both side.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying trolling. Steve says that's trolling.
Speaker 3: No, he said trolling.
Speaker 2: The problem. The problem is that that another.
Speaker 5: This is trolling, Seth saying trolling.
Speaker 2: Steve says trawlling, Randall says purse, Sainting says cast and Bates, Nate says dragonetting, Giannis says tralling. Brody says trolling. The correct answer is tralling about half of our players. Right to him, I.
Speaker 5: Don't think we give it to you doesn't mean trolling.
Speaker 2: He means, how would you spell?
Speaker 3: Spelling doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I know, but if you spell another fishing technique, he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't think troll. Crank Base will give it to you, Seth.
Speaker 2: But how would you spell trolling if you were pulling plugs for Walleye.
Speaker 5: Dude the same spelling? Spelling is not my thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll give it. We'll give it to Seth.
Speaker 4: Now you didn't know, like there's a certain person that would have it, and I would say, don't give it to him.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you give it to Brody if Brody wrote, yes, you would.
Speaker 4: Yes, because I know that he I know that he knows what trolling is.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we will accept the trolling or trolling.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 8: No, No, you're not accepting trolling. You're only accepting misspelled trollingspelling.
Speaker 4: As a misspelled trawling rather than him just putting down a fishing term.
Speaker 2: So at home and.
Speaker 3: Pray and spray.
Speaker 5: If your answer trawling.
Speaker 2: If your answers are verbal, then you need to say trolling. Why do you But if you're writing it.
Speaker 4: Down, why do you think the trolling and trawling share of spelling?
Speaker 5: Didn't think of?
Speaker 2: Trawling is used to target a variety of seafoods such as cod, halib it, rockfish, squid, shrimp, flounder, and crab. The fishing technique can be too effective, which results in piles of bycatch. It's estimated that in the last sixty five years, trawlers have unintentionally caught five hundred million tons of non target animals.
Speaker 4: Oh it's I don't mean the hack, but yeah, it's it's a very controversial fishing style.
Speaker 2: Question four. The topic is fishing. This next great question is via Jeff Bowels the Idaho Department of Fishing Game calls this hybrid their quote secret weapon for controlling populations of non native fish.
Speaker 8: Brody, who didn't even wait.
Speaker 2: For bitch Brody already has his answer. This is question four. The topic is fishing. The Idaho Department of Fishing Game calls this hybrid their secret weapon for controlling populations of non native fish. Brody the only player with an answer so far. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe he's wrong, Randall, boat was trawling in.
Speaker 10: Your Brainard, Yeah, I didn't like my answer as I previously suggested, especially after Steve.
Speaker 1: Shredded it.
Speaker 2: I thought he was trying to get you to change.
Speaker 10: No, No, I see there's genuine glee in his eyes.
Speaker 3: Is fading fast right now, man.
Speaker 2: The Idaho Department a Fishing Game calls this hybrid their quote secret weapon for controlling populations of non native fish. Brody is optimistic.
Speaker 9: Optimistic with an answer so far, people call themselves anglers in this room.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a joke.
Speaker 7: Well it ain't, Walleye.
Speaker 2: No, that's correct, and Odi provided a hint saying he's never caught.
Speaker 1: One of these.
Speaker 2: Jack feel like is a pretty genuine hint. Yeah sure, yeah, Well we'll read out your crossed out answer as well as the answer that you're going with.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what it could be, could.
Speaker 2: Be that, Oh wow, he might have two crossed out answers. He's gonna ride down every hybrid he can think of. Steve, are you ready? We're waiting on you. Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have without an answer, we have, Steve, he crossed out tiger muskie. He crossed out cut bow, and he wrote down spike. Randall says tiger musky. Alyssa without an answer. Nate says, Saga, Yannis, Spike Brody, tiger muski. We have a correct answer. It's tiger muskie.
Speaker 3: Son of a bitch. You see the head that he did.
Speaker 2: Along with cutbow and spleke, Tiger muskie are a cross between northern pike and muskie. They are strategically used across North America as a top down biological control. The benefit of stalking tiger muskies is that they have a huge appetite, are sterile, and provide more sport fishing opportunities. Question five, Wait are those.
Speaker 3: Are you running a perfect game right now?
Speaker 9: Yeah, but we've only done my three questions.
Speaker 2: We've done four questions. We will get a scoreboard update from Fill the engineer after.
Speaker 5: Pike Native Taho.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. There's no way musky are Yeah.
Speaker 7: That's surprised me that they would stalk them.
Speaker 2: Well, so that you don't have to worry about those things, you're not out of control. Question five. And it's not just Idaho, Utah, Colorado. I think a lot of the rocky Mountain states and elsewhere do it? Question five? The topic is cooking. Taste of Home magazine describes this vegetable's flavor as quote, a little bit sweet like garlic and a little bit pungent like onions. This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update for Steve from Phil after this. Taste of Home describes this vegetables flavor as a little bit sweet like garlic and a little bit pungent like onions. Steve, you like your answer. Maybe he's going back to his white board and doing some more writing.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't mind you reading both for me.
Speaker 8: Okay, is this vegetable commonly found in the grocery.
Speaker 2: Store not going to give you any hints? Taste of Home describes its flavor as a little bit sweet like garlic and a little bit pungent like onions, but.
Speaker 3: It means it's not a type of onion.
Speaker 2: Not giving you any hints. You need to think about what Taste of Home would be describing here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, think about it. Yeah, I'm not familiar with that, Magan neither.
Speaker 2: Tasting Home magazine. I think you walk into any grocery store, it's going to be one of the prominent cooking magazines on their shelf.
Speaker 3: Why is it being read here at this program?
Speaker 2: Because I need to figure out a way to get you to give the right answer. And this is how I can assign a definition to somebody. If I were just to tell you, if I were to say this vegetable, I'm saying, like.
Speaker 3: This doesn't feel like I have anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: It's a cooking question, and.
Speaker 1: He's covering by attributing it to another authority.
Speaker 2: You can't argue with their direct quote.
Speaker 9: The word I was looking for me, I just like, can't like I can picture the thing.
Speaker 2: Does anybody like their answer?
Speaker 3: I think I do. I like both of mine.
Speaker 2: Okaylissa feel okay about what's on their wife Nate is now joining.
Speaker 1: Them with an answer, Yeah, changing it. Do you like that?
Speaker 2: Do you too, agree, he's not gonna come. Randall and Steve have the same check are you Are you ready Brody?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm just like it's not gonna comes.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, go ahead and reveal your answers to set d. Steve wrote down ramp, crossed that out and put shallot. Randall says shallot, scallion, Nate crossed out, beat radish, Yanni says scallion, and Brody says onion. Have a correct answer. It's shallot. Randall and Steve got that one right.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 4: I put down ramp because I was like, you know, this is like an outdoor show.
Speaker 3: But then I'm like, sometimes he don't care.
Speaker 2: Shallots in the same family leaks chives, garlic, and onion taste of homes. As in a pinch, you can substitute a sweet onion for a shalot. They are commonly used in salad dressings, stocks, egg dishes, and pasta dishes. Fell we're halfway through the game. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: We've got Yeah, it's been a while since you've been here. I think we've been doing the score.
Speaker 1: You're gonna love the big twist at the end.
Speaker 3: We've got nobody tell him he did.
Speaker 6: Alyssa has zero points, Nate's coming up next with one, Seth has two, Giannis has three, and tied up in first placer Steve Randall n Brody with four points, apiece.
Speaker 3: Would you save that otter question for the actual tiebreaker? We do a.
Speaker 1: Charade round for question nine? Now, oh you do? Yeah, Spencer to act something out and we just have to answer.
Speaker 2: And then we have a Phil does a singing question for question eight.
Speaker 4: It's true, so if he's saying he's the champion, then we know it's me.
Speaker 3: You can't be.
Speaker 2: Question six, the topic is natural history. What President spearheaded the Lewis and Clark expedition? Nate Randall, Yanni, excuse me? Steve Brodie all quick to answer, what president spearheaded the Lewis and Clark expedition?
Speaker 3: Throwing Randall a bone there?
Speaker 9: You know he's a historian.
Speaker 1: How's I mean we should all know this?
Speaker 2: He says that, as Seth and Alyssa have a blank white board.
Speaker 1: It's part of our shared history.
Speaker 9: They're right about that.
Speaker 2: What President spearheaded the Lewis and Clark expedition?
Speaker 3: This is question the verb choices yeah, yeah, you'd think he was there.
Speaker 2: Poor Okay, at the front. Steve's complained about three of the six questions so far.
Speaker 3: I'm just pointing out it's like a poor word choice.
Speaker 2: Melissa Seth, Are you going to come up with an answer?
Speaker 3: I think everyone's ready.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. Seth and Alyssa do not have an answer, and the rest of the room says Thomas Jefferson, they got it. The correct answer is Thomas jeff If he.
Speaker 4: Had said who conducted the Louisiana purchase, would you guys have got that?
Speaker 2: But he didn't conduct it. He wasn't even in Europe when it happened.
Speaker 3: It happened under his administration.
Speaker 2: Spearhead Jefferson asked Congress to fund an expedition to the Pacific Ocean three months before France even offered the territory for sale. Word hadn't even gotten back to Jefferson yet about the Louisiana purchase, when he already had Merriwether Lewis prepping for the journey. So Steve Jefferson thought they were going to Europe to buy the New Orleans Port. He didn't know that they were going to buy the entire territory. Your phrasing of the question would have been wrong. No, you said who.
Speaker 3: I would have said what president was in office at the time. What you just said, though I said spearheaded, was a poor word choice.
Speaker 1: We don't need two of these in the room.
Speaker 2: Question seven, the topic is fishing. This next great question is via Aaron Welsh. The American Voter Exam defines this seven letter word as quote the cross section of the stern where you attach an outboard motor.
Speaker 3: But everyone's going to get this.
Speaker 10: When we were in when we were in Yellowstone, the guy, the snowcoach driver was explaining how the three forks of the Missouri got their names, and I forget, you know, it's obviously Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin. And he said, he said, well, we all know who Madison and Jefferson are, but do you know who gal is?
Speaker 1: And you answered.
Speaker 3: I did, I did?
Speaker 10: I said, I said, Secretary of the Treasury and he and he goes, that's right, Steve Gallatin, it's Albert Gallaxy.
Speaker 5: Did you crack bender?
Speaker 9: Do you know you know what Jefferson sent those fellows out there looking for?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean there was a number of things, but one of the things. I'm guessing you referring to Willie mammoths.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things to Uh.
Speaker 4: There's certain little titbits and history that are off that are much trafficked.
Speaker 3: That one being one of them. Sure, I've trafficked that one again.
Speaker 2: Question seven, The American Voter Exam defines this seven letter word as the cross section of the stern where you attach an outboard motor. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Steve and Randall saying transom alyssa without an answer. Nate says transom.
Speaker 5: Yon and bro.
Speaker 2: Probably because answer is transom. The transom's function is to strengthen the stern, absorb a motor's power, and keep water out of the boat. It's common to have motors, transducers, doors, ladders, and your boat's name placed on the transom. Question eight, the topic is gear and this next great question is via Jacob Hubbard. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives goes by this acronym. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives goes by this acronym. This is what they call themselves. You go to their website.
Speaker 9: This is how article today that what's her name, Lauren Bobert.
Speaker 2: She wants to get rid of this, all for it.
Speaker 3: So this is their official act.
Speaker 2: This is what they refer to themselves. After you go to their website, it says about the history of this. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives goes by this acronym.
Speaker 5: My only Oh sorry, I was just on their website an hour ago.
Speaker 4: My only interaction with this about suppressors. Yeah, that's my only interaction with them. And if I didn't have to do that, the world to be a better place. We'd all have better hearing. So I'm into this idea of getting.
Speaker 3: Rid of them. Everybody with the branch Davidian Compound.
Speaker 2: Lissad go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Steve saying at F. Randall says b A TF without an answer, Nate.
Speaker 3: The reason you won't get it right is they don't go.
Speaker 2: And Brody saying ATF correct answer. The correct answer is ATF. Randall did not.
Speaker 3: Then tried to like so quickly get rid of it like I do that every time.
Speaker 1: I just want to be done with it.
Speaker 7: That's what I do when I spell shit wrong. Randall.
Speaker 3: We all saw what you wrote.
Speaker 9: I protest out of you on that one, Randall, because you can.
Speaker 2: You go to their website you argue with them. Like I said, protest, I'm arguing with I was expecting you. I'm telling our listeners who may be upset.
Speaker 10: I thought I thought that they officially went by B A t F, and it was ATF was a.
Speaker 2: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Fire But on their website history of ATF about ATF careers. At ATF, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was a richly the alcohol tax unit which was overseen by the IRS. In the nineteen forties, they were assigned firearms and in the nineteen fifties they were assigned tobacco. This is when the acronym ATF was born. The agency was reassigned to the Department of Justice after nine to eleven, which is when they changed their name to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. But despite their new name, the group still goes by their old acronym. Well, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: It's pretty close game.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, Alissa, Nate, and Seth cannot catch up, but Randall faltered. Joannis and Randall are tied up with six and Steven Brody tied up in first place with seven points.
Speaker 2: Question nine. The topic is woodsmanship, known as quote the morning Star. This is the brightest planet in our solar system, known as the morning Star. This is the brightest planet in our solar system.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: The room looks stumped. Randall, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 1: I'm indifferent right now?
Speaker 2: Are you trying to Google to make your last answer correct?
Speaker 1: I think there's an argument that could be made that we're all wrong.
Speaker 2: For atf yes, no, oh you're on.
Speaker 3: You gave up that, don't care? Do you don't mind him just using his phone?
Speaker 2: Well, you watch what he's doing, and then then we know that he's not looking up what the morning Star is. Again, this is question nine. It's woodsmanship known as the morning Star. This is the brightest planet, brightest by what measure, by every website measure. Who says this is the brightest planet? You know, we're so if they have a number, I think this one's number is like a minus four point seven or something like that, and then they have a number for the Sun and the Moon as well, known as the morning Star. This is the brightest planet in our solar system?
Speaker 1: How many are there now?
Speaker 8: Eight or nine? With the they ditched.
Speaker 3: Because you either have to you neither have to be that. We have like a thousand, yeah, or eight eight, but you can't have nine. You know a lot on that socker takes to go around the Sun forty years? Wow, Pluto?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready thinking about that? Known as the morning Star? This is the brightest planet in our solar system.
Speaker 9: I'm going with my first one say, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: Like as observed from Earth, not gonna tell you. I mean, what what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What do you think I'm saying? I could be Nate.
Speaker 3: I don't know, dude, That's why I'm asking, so you know it? Do you know what?
Speaker 5: Brody?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have Brody. I'm looking. I'm looking at the brightest objects in the night sky, and they say the Sun shines at a magnitude negative twenty six point seven. The Moon is a negative twelve point seven. So I don't know what that scale is, but it keeps saying magnitude hmm. I'm not going to tell you anymore. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: I don't think I got it right.
Speaker 2: Go ahead under answers. We have Seth saying Mars.
Speaker 3: That's what I.
Speaker 2: Steve says Polaris.
Speaker 3: I got all jacked out. That's what I had Mars earlier.
Speaker 2: Randall says Mercury. Alyssa says Jupiter. Nate says Mars. He crossed out. Jupiter says Venus. Brody says Venus. We have a correct answer. It's Venus. Brody and Randall got that.
Speaker 3: I never thought of Venus.
Speaker 2: Venus is one of the most vivid objects in the sky, which is why humans have used it for navigation for thousands of years.
Speaker 5: It's easiest to.
Speaker 2: Find in the morning and evening, and can even be spotted at midday. Venus is so visible because it's the closest planet to Earth and its thick clouds reflect sunlight. Bill give us one last schoolboard update.
Speaker 5: It's not over yet.
Speaker 6: It's not over yet, but Brody is in first place with eight points behind him with seven.
Speaker 2: I had Venus and I raised it question ten.
Speaker 1: The topic is I deserve deserve the loss name.
Speaker 2: Three of the four states with California condors, According to the Cornell Lab. Name three of the four states with California condors. So we have Brody in the lead and it is Randall and Steve are one point behind. So we need Brody to get this wrong, Yanni or and Steve to get this right to go to overtime. Name three of the four states with California condors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's can we call it Chileans. If we have any WD.
Speaker 2: Four former trivia question, their official name is water displacement.
Speaker 3: You should just throw the questions so we can go to overtime.
Speaker 2: Man, who's going because he's winning point behind?
Speaker 8: No, I know that's what I'm saying. If you lose, then all three of us would go to over.
Speaker 3: That'd be so weak.
Speaker 9: We've never done an intentional like myths before that I know of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I panicked on that one there and.
Speaker 6: Then ago, what was that thing you said about letting not letting your kids win?
Speaker 3: Was that a conversation we.
Speaker 1: Had character building?
Speaker 2: Name three of the four states with California condors, and this is we should just do the overtime.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: Spencer Week, Brent Reeves and I just hosted a mediter Experiences in Kansas over the New Years and we played trivia a couple of nights. It is not the same game without the flavor text.
Speaker 2: Well, the game wouldn't exist if I had to put all that flavor text in there, because an it would just be an encyclopedia.
Speaker 1: You could just make things up.
Speaker 2: Sure, we did that. There, that's on the host too, uh to provide the flavor text.
Speaker 1: Then just chat GPT.
Speaker 2: It is everybody ready, Brody, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 3: Pretty good?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yanni, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Steve, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sat saying California, Nevada, Arizona. Steve says California, Arizona, Nevada. Randall says California, Nevada, organ Alyssa, California, Washington, Nevada, Nate California, Oregon, Washington, Jannis, California, Arizona, Nevada. Brody California, Arizona, Utah. He crossed out Nevada. The four states are California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah. Brody got it right, making him this week's winter.
Speaker 4: About watching Venus rising.
Speaker 2: There are about three hundred and fifty California condors in the wild, with more than half of them located in California, but sightings in eastern Utah and northern California have biologists hoping the bird could soon make its way into Oregon and Colorado. Brody, you are the winner. Where is that five hundred dollars? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Man, I didn't really think about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Oh he's never been in this position, Steve.
Speaker 3: You haven't been here for a while.
Speaker 2: What should we do? Steve is slumped over in his seat with a cracked whiteboard in front of.
Speaker 9: I'm just gonna do the Mule Deer Foundation because I love mule deer.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's wearing the Mule Deer Foundation hand. He's gonna send five hundred dollars their way.
Speaker 9: And I'm not clear. Is that blacktail thing separate from mule deer? Now that new thing it's within?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All right, Brody, are you glad Steve is back? You prefer he just say, oh, you know, we had.
Speaker 7: A game randal.
Speaker 2: It wasn't much of a challenge today, So.
Speaker 3: Look at that number.
Speaker 5: I tried to thank Spencer.
Speaker 3: I was too close to the sun.
Speaker 1: Crashing into the sea.
Speaker 2: Join us next week for more meat. Eater Trivia, the only game show the conservation always wins. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays damn questions down.
Speaker 1: He likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 3: He's an avid amateur lockw