Speaker 1: Look, may, oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, goodness, wow, loves culture ding lost cultures. You're hearing our morning croak. This is the earliest episode in history.
Speaker 2: This is the earliest episode in history. Seven am, pt eight am empty. Here we go, now, Mountain girl, Mountain girl.
Speaker 1: So apparently if you see one of the Salt Lake City housewives in Park City at sundance, it's like not a big deal. And I don't understand.
Speaker 2: So what why isn't everyone shouting throwing roses at these women wherever they go? Oh my god, I was gagged talk about this.
Speaker 1: The one and only couple Seth and Meredith Mark, Oh my god, showed up to the wedding banquet after party.
Speaker 2: Stop looking stunning the both of them. Yes, there was a lion dance, a traditional lion dance with you know, I'm gonna say, gorgeous white people. Perhaps they were Mormons. I love potential Mormons doing the lion dance in front of a crowd.
Speaker 1: The lion dance. So you're not saying lion dance in like a fun way. You're saying lion dance like lo and dance.
Speaker 2: There was a traditional dance in Chinese culture and some Asian cultures, where people dressed in a traditional sequined lion costume and dance to loud symbols and drums. Oh Becka producer Becta, says, I love a traditional lion dance.
Speaker 1: Familiar with the lion dance? Okay, and the marx has joined in.
Speaker 2: The Marxies appreciated the lion dance. But Seth, this is someone who likes bits. Seth tasks me on the shoulder, holds up his phone. That's shazamming, and he goes, I don't know what this song is, and my Shazam doesn't know.
Speaker 1: He's a goofa loofa, one of the great goofa lufahs. Sometimes it gets them in trouble on the program.
Speaker 2: It gets them in trouble on the program, but we all know it's Ingest and Meredith looking wonderful, having a great time.
Speaker 1: Meredith.
Speaker 2: I want to use the platform to apologize. She invited me to the store. She was throwing a party that night. But I got guess what overserved? Could not make it?
Speaker 1: Were you overserved? I was overserved, but not in like a bad way I was. You can hear from my voice you were just like, it's time to cap it. I tapped it. I capped it at five. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: One of our our third a D on set a woman by the name of Nicola, and I stand a woman named Nicola. I love and especially third a D third a D. She was bringing us to the bar to get shots and here we go. It just that's that's the recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: It was a disaster the same actually disaster with a Z yes z in the middle of that too. That's the best part. The best part of any party with the crew after you do anything is finding out who that girl is. That's like we're doing shots and more more than often it is someone on the AD team. Now, can you explain for all the readers, Katie's publicists, finalists and Kyle of course, who the that was the first time that that happened? Kyle, Kyles, I embrace you. A couple of people have come up to me at yes you guess that buries self identify as a Kyle's place for them to be likely story, we got to get a new shirt done, says Becca. I agree, maybe a jersey. Okay, So explain to the girls what an ad is and why they might want to blow off such theme.
Speaker 2: An assistant director vital part of any set. First AD is usually on set calling action, you know, kind of logistically moving the day along. Second AD is at base camp or as they say in Vancouver, circus, which I kind of Brittany, all eyes on the talent, all eyes on Nicola and Nicolas. Third AD, which also means she's in a circus capacity.
Speaker 1: She's a circus queen. Yes, she's she's on foot up the circus. She's on foot on the tightrope. Yeah. So basically for this person to be like we're doing shots, understand their job the entire process long as to keep things on time, get people where they're going. It is all about making the day. And so for those people at the whatever gathering, whatever party, whether it's at the Sundance, is his ass the scene or some sort of wrap situation. To see that person let off steam and go for it and say we're going to the bar ripping shots. I not only celebrate them, but I joined them in shot and I raise my glass. Now, Matt, you would be obsessed with this.
Speaker 2: Let's give a toast to Nicola, a morning toast to Nicola.
Speaker 1: To the third ad on the wedding banquet, thank you for getting the party going last night. I wasn't there, but I was always there in spirit. I'm always where. My sister is right by his side as a ghost.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm crying. You are with me in all ways. I was missing you, but one not thinking about Nicola. She was such an important third ad because she would have, especially in the night shoots, she had either Britney spears speaking of Britney, either Britney playing or biggest Swifty on stet always was blasting Taylor.
Speaker 1: There we go to you, to Nicola. To Nicola. A name of a swifty if I've ever heard one.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Now, Matt, what are you doing to gear up for a big trip that we're taking together?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I want to talk about that, but can we just because we're in the disaster scene of can I just say that the wedding banquets reviews are out. They are extremely positive. Everyone's saying such gorgeous things like heartwarming. They're saying excellent ensemble. They're saying you Jung Yun is like another stand up performing. They're saying the words Joan Chen like they should have been saying on Oscar nomination this mornings, they love a bone to pick with you about that week and Joan Tren's name there. But they're saying these things, yes, and I just want to know from you. How did it feel watching the movie The Wedding Bankment, directed by Andrew On, friend of the pod director of Fire Island. How are you feeling in the dance. I feel so lucky. First of all, we are very lucky.
Speaker 2: We have distribution already April eighteenth, theaters get going.
Speaker 1: Come on Bleaker Street, Come on.
Speaker 2: Bleaker Street, thank you, Come on with shif Hans. Yes, but it's just nice to, you know, come in with that. And what a beautiful celebration of Andrew's talent as a filmmaker. Of all the crew, they so many of them flew out for this, so nice to see them again. Beautiful celebration of Kelly Marie Tran, who fucking tore a force.
Speaker 1: That's what they're saying. I'm so happy for her.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Just you fucking wait, Matt, just you fucking wait. Honki CHOHn place my boyfriend, his first English speaking role, his first time.
Speaker 1: In the States. He's wow, a glass skin baby.
Speaker 2: He is so gorgeous and so wonderful as a performer, just so great. I love an ensemble. I love an ensemble. Can I just say too? And Joan Chana Jungyun. I mean, they are the standouts in the film by far, and I'm so honored that I got to work with any of these people that I just named. And it was just such a beautiful thing for Andrew, he got the idea for the movie. I mean, he was approached to reimagine the movie at Sundance when he was there with Spaw Night his first home.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So it's so full circle in so many ways. And everyone at the fest, at the dance, I should say, at the disaster scene has been so so so warm and welcoming and kind of a.
Speaker 1: Fun I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I'm really grateful that I get to experience Park City Sundance before it moves to another city.
Speaker 1: Do we think that's definitely happening.
Speaker 2: So among the trustees, the board, the candidate cities are kind of witty, down to this is the scuttle butt.
Speaker 1: So this is just the scuttle buck. There's no there's no revelations happening here. And I have to say, I'm so disappointed that Park City is going to lose it, but it's who knows, it might not. Okay, what's the scuttle but what's the rumors? Scuttle butt is Salt Lake City?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, oh, just you know, fifteen miles away, but in a more sort of down the road, a little bit more infrastructure to support you know, the size of the scale of the festival totally. And then you could hop in a car and go to the ski left and walk around Park City. I'm sure park City, because that might be a really nice option because Park City still it doesn't totally strip the economy away from Park City.
Speaker 1: Well, and also you can still use Park City as those theaters and like, you know, maybe it wouldn't have to feel completely different. You know, it could be like because it is. I would I would imagine that the reason they're moving is because it's demanding a larger space. Is that ultimately why? Okay, so you're saying Salt Lake City, which I think is my weirdly my favorite option, and then you have have Cincinnati, which I think is actually kind of chic. And this is what James Shame as co writer of the Wedding Banquet original film and the new film. And he's the one who just I've been I've quote on this podcast many times before, has all these incredible thoughts about the way that like algorithmic structures have ruined society. Oh my god, I need some shots brought over.
Speaker 2: To us as well. Oh with James. James is a big proponent of Cincinnati. He's like, bring it to a city in the Midwest or somewhere where there's just a great cross section of all these different populations, bring different audiences in to appreciate this kind of film, Like that is what that is what Sundance should be as like a home for independent film. And I was like, okay, points were and then the third, which I find is super interesting. As a Colorado Boulder, Boulder would be very fun.
Speaker 1: Boulder keep the vibes of where we've always been, mountain vibes, and that is Boulder mountain time. Yes it is, it is, And oh agre just mountain time. I wouldn't want Sundance to not be in the mountain time region. Of course. Of course, Sundance is so huge for mountain time. It's the one time of year people even think about mountain time. If you're not living in it already. You're like, like, we had to get on this podcast today. I was like, well, Bowen is, let me chext notes eight am Mountain Time girl.
Speaker 2: Well okay, So you're saying it's the one time a year where people think about mountain Time.
Speaker 1: It's a huge moment for mountain time internationally.
Speaker 2: What do you have to say, Oh, I see, because guess what Aspen Gay Ski Week, We're all like, oh right, that's happening and you're there. Awesome, which no judgment because I would very much like to go one year, But it doesn't have quite the cultural impact. It doesn't give mountain Time the sort of legitimacy culturally as Sundance does.
Speaker 1: No Sundances, that's high culture. High culture. It brings mountain Time up with it because the rest of the year, mountain Time is in the doldrums with the housewives of Salt Lake City. Think about this. Everything seeing on the house out of Salt Lake City that's not a vacation is happening in mountain time. That's why it's so good. You're onto something. Think about it. Think about the elevation in those women's brains. Like I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I mean if We're going to quote Sarah Sherman's brain scientist neighbor, we're closer to the ozone here, and so we're going crazier exactly.
Speaker 1: Hack. Oh, just to get back on Meredith.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, first of all, congratulations on another stellar season. I looked both of them in the eye and said, thank you for being on the best show on television period.
Speaker 1: Yes, but did they say they received it? They received it such gracious people. M hm.
Speaker 2: And I said to Meredith, how do you feel about the season overall? She says, I liked it. I'm really happy with it. The finale was a bit truncated. She was like, I had issues with the finale and I was like, oh, she was just like, it just felt a little It did feel like it ended on such an abrupt No, she.
Speaker 1: Agrees with us, She agrees with the community.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, And I didn't want to bring up like, how how do I move forward in this life? How do you and I move forward in this life as equal? Meredith Marx and Anti CAATs Navas stands very easily.
Speaker 1: Some thing very easily, because it's like we said to Anglie, it's like one feeds the other and the bigger the one gets, the bigger the other gets. It's a gorgeous symbiotic relationship. It's like if the substance was incredibly positive. That's what culture seventy and incredibly No, it's good, they got it. It's incredibly positive.
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna say, guess what, The Joker movies are just as big as the Batman movies. Say that, and those are two adversary locked into cosmic dance.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred percent. And I'm not even ascribing one Joker and one Batman because that if there's a hero and a villain. But here's what I would posit. Maybe both are anti heroes. Okay, that's the whole thing about Batman. And you forgot it. And I'm pointing to you, the royal you. I am saying you forgot that the Batman was an anti hero vigil lanty story because guess what. Sure, he saves lives and beats the villains, but you know what, he's a billionaire evil girl. You eight bars bars bars. Okay, you see, Meredith Marks, you didn't make it too. I'm sorry her store. By the way, I'm telling you, I've been a couple of times because I went to Sunence a few years ago. I made it up top of my priority list to get into merediths Marks's shop and it's a lovely experience. Next time, top of list for you. Yes, maybe we'll go together someday and we'll sort there. Oh, but if it moves, I hope it doesn't move, but maybe it has.
Speaker 2: To move next the last years, Matt and I would love to show up in any capacity, just just just to watch the films, to hang out at the accurate energy house, you know, to chill at the.
Speaker 1: Name so that. I love like the Chase Sapphire you know, fire pit fire, Yeah, I love it. I love like American Express hot chocolate bar, like truly. And that's what you're gonna get when you go to to Sundance is you're gonna get a lot of incredibly sponsored quaint activities.
Speaker 2: Activations down, yeah, activations down.
Speaker 1: Hold my hotel phone's ringing one second picking up sounds positive so far. That would be wonderful, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And then I'm according a podcast, but if you could leave it at the door, that would be wonderful.
Speaker 1: Oh this is good, Yes, that's great. He's so good at handling stuff like this. Yeah, okay, we're gonna leave that all in. Yeah. No, that was really good because I was I was sort of narrating to the readers, like exactly how well you're a communicator? How would you rate that interaction? That was a ten out of ten. Really, I love the dulcent tones that you spoken. Thank you, and I am recording a podcast, so if you could leave it outside the door, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: It's a little early, and so I'm not like totally on. I don't know how to interact with the world yet.
Speaker 1: You were giving Selena Gomez wrapped in the blanket asking for you know what I mean? That meme that's actually the best meme Selena Gomes wrapped in Like what is it like an Adirondack blanket? Yes, just a gorgeous big nit The best one that because it was like this is me when I did the best was when I calmly asked the flight attendant for ginger ale after waking up on the plane.
Speaker 2: It was Sydney Battle's tweet and it's one of the best tweets of all time.
Speaker 1: In a clear, calm voice.
Speaker 2: Here, this is it, Sidney battlesweet me right from my edible coma to ask the flight attendant for a ginger ale and a clear, considerate voice that conveys gratefulness and respect.
Speaker 1: Becker just put it in there. It is honestly, this picture of her and us is the image for this episode. This is exactly the vibe right now. Oh, this is Selena wrapped in this blanket and then us with our heads wrapped in this blanket. Tell Spencer who By the way, people have been asking about who's been crushing our graphic design It has not been the very busy Bowon Yang. It has been Spencer also very busy. Not that Bowenyang couldn't also tear down these graphic designs. But we have been truly blessed by the team rushing truly now, So you saw Meredith Marks. Were there any other Housewives sightings? There were many sightings.
Speaker 2: Lisa Barlow was I will reveal Queen of sun Dance, the Queen of Sundance. There's a Vita Tequila loam. Today was not able to make it to one of our producers and to Lisa with his husband, and they were so excited to see. They're like, Lisa Barlow, We're such huge fans. It's so nice to meet you. First thing she says to them is, Hi, guys, Oh my god, what do you guys think of Bronwyn? First thing out the kid's asking about bron I.
Speaker 1: Think we have to leave that in. Guys, Oh my god, what do you guys think about Bronwyn? Like already, I mean, this is just remarkable.
Speaker 2: It's like, this is what I this is what I tend to forget about housewives honestly, is like, this is their real lives. It's not it's not as put on as we would like to as I am inclined to believe.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was watching and I was watching an interview with Bosama last night, who by the way, I've grown really like, I like, and I think it's like really really she brings so much to the show and also heartbreaking her home. Yes, so all the best to anyone who's still struggling, by the way, Like damn, But I was watching an interview with her, and she was like, you know, I did it because X Y Z reasons. And then she was like, my one thing was I really didn't realize it was going to be so real. But the relationships are very real, and sure the show is produced in terms of like they nudge you in terms of things to bring up or whatever. But the stuff that like all goes into the conflict for the episodes is real and all based in real stuff. And when you were arguing with someone, that's a real argument. It's not like you get off screen and high five and are like, you know, TII, we really ate that scene. It's like, oh, we just had an actual conflict that was captured for everyone. And she was saying that that was the big realization from her time on the show. So Lisa Barlow strolling down, even the Queen of Sun Dance has in the back of her mind, like her conflict with Bronwyn right Broadway is top of mind for her on a week like this. Well, you know want to know why, It's because I thought last week Lisa and Bronwyn was tocause Because honestly, even if you're not a big Bronwyn fan, I think one storyline where she was incredibly sympathetic and my heart Julie did break for her was when she shared the story of the background of you know, Gwen's parentage. So she has a daughter, Gwen, and she got pregnant out of wedlock with you know, a very Mormon baby daddy. Yeah, and the father and the mother of him basically didn't like accept her. Basically just tough Mormon stuff with the child coming and she was nineteen, Becker reminds us. And so it's been a very, very, very you know, difficult relationship. Gwen's father doesn't know her because he's passed away since Wow, this is, as I'm reminding myself, as I'm saying this darker, but it's anyway, guys, please give me grace, remember at seven am. But it's a tough situation and Lisa is some how finding herself in the middle of it. And I think that all Bronwin was really wanting in that reunion exchange was just for Lisa to acknowledge the fact that Gwen's feelings had been hurt by Lisa in regards to all this, and Lisa just couldn't do that. But I think Lisa is feeling the guilt and the impact of what she has maybe wrought by just by mentioning certain specifics on the after show, as it were, and I think she just might have a hard time apologizing or just taking any taking some accountability for a situation like this, And it's why we love Lisa.
Speaker 2: But it's also really it's I mean, that was a hard I mean we're huge Lisa Barlow fans in this house.
Speaker 1: That was a particularly tough thing to watch. But these are this is the thing.
Speaker 2: We're just saying that these are human beings and it's a show of antiheroes and we love them for it.
Speaker 1: So Lisa Barlow was out and about. I know, I saw Heather Gay and some photos.
Speaker 2: Well, Heather Gay and Stephen and our friends, even Simbari we're hanging out, coming in through that all time. I'm just so because I came to Sundance, I'm going a tight ish schedule. I'm disappointed. I don't have time to ski to hit the slopes here bummer. And I didn't really get a chance to screen any of other films. I was really excited for that opportunity. Didn't quite have time for that. And that's so hard.
Speaker 1: People don't even realize that it's like impossible to get into. It's tough. It's really tough.
Speaker 2: And so I'm shout out to anyone who came to our screening, thank you so much for coming to the Eccles. But I was just prepared mentally I was like, you know what, maybe there will be no Housewives moments this trip and.
Speaker 1: That will be okay, and lo and behold Meredith.
Speaker 2: Meredith, thank you for making I mean this was This just completed the entire experience for me. Thank you, Meredith, genuinely truly. Meredith and Seth, thank you for coming from supporting the film. They did not see the film, unfortunately, but they were very excited.
Speaker 1: To very hard to get in.
Speaker 2: I must reveal there was much consideration and discussion with Andrew as the director and the producers, who are all Housewives fans.
Speaker 1: There was a scene that we had to cut from the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lily's character and I are in the back house hiding away from the situation that happens in the main house, and we're surrounded by all these boxes and we're just like escaping from our realities for a moment, and I'm showing Lily's character Lee, Chris is showing Lily's character Lee the beach scene where Heather gathers all the women to reveal reality bontee.
Speaker 1: And it's cut from the movie.
Speaker 2: It's cut from just because tonally it just kind of you know, I understand, but tonally it just didn't quite fit. But it was just it was going to be the biggest laugh in the film, I believe.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm ready to give my review of The Wedding Banquet. No, now, this movie could have been better. No, no, no, it had all the elements and I'm really disappointed I won't be able to support it in theaters.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Matthew, I understand I won't be able to support it. But no, it was I mean, like Lily and I were just improvising around the house and around the Salt Lake City house Wives.
Speaker 1: I was in heaven.
Speaker 2: The crew was crying, laughing, Our DP was shaking with laughter, being like what is this show? This sounds incredible? And I was like, you guys, you need to watch this, okay.
Speaker 1: Like truly you have spread the gospel. And then oh my god, for Meredith and Says to come to the party. Was that a full circle moment?
Speaker 2: Well, but they knew because I had to personally reach out to all the housewives because because our produce, our producers were not hearing back from their people to clear that clip, and so they were like, Bowen, can you please do us a solid? And so I had to like reach out draft this beautiful letter heart from the heart. I was like, whatever, I can read it at some point. I can't pull it up now, but because it will take too long.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, we do at some point you need a reading of it that we do the housewives.
Speaker 2: But they were all so understanding, so wonderful, so generous with letting us like use that moment in our film. And I'm so disappointed, but you know, for for reasons they understand.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I know, this is not a contemption thing. I'm just like, Oh, that's like my one thing that I mourned.
Speaker 1: But deleted scenes, I mean, this is yet another Bowen Yang deleted scene. Oh my goodness, you might be the legend of you might be the legend of the cutting room floor. I missed deleted DVD culture was deleted scene culture And now we have YouTube and featurette culture feature at culture, Yeah definitely, but the feature rats like with the YouTube, so if you have to seek it out right, And I'm so glad I sought out the substance feature because I loved that after see it. But with feature rec Culture and deleted scene Culture that was presented in front of you as part of the package as part of like the sit down. I'm gonna say this right now, there's one film that we both love that had amazing DVD features, and I think this movie, if you really boil it down to DVD culture and when it was at its peak, Yes, this movie is peak d culture. And we're gonna say it on three together. No, I don't know, I don't know what you mean. I'm gonna say it, and you're gonna wish that you would throw the dice. I'm gonna countdown three, two one. Charlie's Angels fold? Oh my god? Why was I so under confident? You said, Charlie sentel. I was gonna say Charlie's Angels fold throttle first of all, Charlie's Angels. No, because Charlie's Angels years later. I knew you knew, I knew you. Why did I ever doubt myself? I love you, love you back. I mean, I'm just saying that I knew you knew. Did Charlie's Angels special features the first one, especially because like the way the fire and the rock music would be playing, like God, just the best movies ever, best movies ever? Can I say ever?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Matt if you're gonna get asked by letterbox very soon what your four favorites are? Oh god, both times I've been asked, Both times I've said Charlie's Angels, And this time on the red Up yesterday they were there. I was able to share it because Charlie XCX's letterbox to league, did you see this?
Speaker 1: I did, and I really enjoyed Charlie XCX's Letterbox.
Speaker 2: Charlie Sangels that was on that list HM, which then prompted me to reach out to her and be like, oh my god, that movie's online, And then we both bonded about how it is cinema classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so good. I mean, like it's also like so gorgeously self aware. I mean just it's so fun. It exists to be fun, but also the plot is good and the twists are good. Yes, absolutely, what do you make of the scuttle?
Speaker 2: But now that part three, I mean all the women are on board for part three.
Speaker 1: The three of them got on a zoom with DEMI.
Speaker 2: Recently just discussing how fun that movie was full throttle, and I just they all look like I want to see them all on a movie again like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would deeplay, especially because Cameron's now, I guess out of retirement in some way fashion. I feel like, you know, while we love Drew on her daytime show, would be great to see her in the cinema. Absolutely, Lucy's making a comeback, and Lucy's always welcome, yeah, I mean, and also Demi's having the moment Tom did. Of course, I don't know a spoiler alert for Charlie's Angel's full throttle, but to me does die plummet into a fiery pit. So it would be a lot for her to come back, because they really do show her becoming engulfed in flames. But let me tell you something. In the world of Charlie's Angels, crazier things have literally happened. Truly. She is engulfed in flames in a theater in downtown La. Yeah, after she swings, yes, swing on Chinese lanters all the way downtown.
Speaker 2: Swing on Chinese lanterns and string lights all the way from Hollywood to downtown La, which is what at least like seven miles.
Speaker 1: I can't say. Let's just say it was an incredible feat for them to accomplish, especially because there are not Chinese lanters hanging in the entire way down there like you couldn't. This is the part what you really had to suspend disbelief bo once you get to the end of Charlie Sandels fuld Thttle, if you hadn't suspended disbelief by now it's time to start. It's seven miles of string lights and just swinging like Spider Man. Yeah, through the low, through the low, low neighborhoods. Absolutely no tall buildings in you know, Westlakeer Echo Park. Let's just say, really, a comment on how bad traffic congestion can be here. Really a comment on that, and a smart comment on that, and a smart fun comment that we didn't even pick up on until now, all these years later.
Speaker 2: But we're talking about it now, and this is just I'm gonna be cloying and say, this is really highlighting our love for Los Angeles hashtags stay in La.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, Well, you know now they're really trying to there's lots of movements now to try to get more production back here, because it's kind of ridiculous. I mean, that's what Newsom should do next, is he should we should try to figure out Obviously this is not as like easily said, in all these tax incentives and tax breaks that all these other states get to shoot, here's a novel idea. How about bringing those to California? Right, like revitalized, revive the industry. Here again, I don't know shit, but it feels like something where I'm like, you know, leep saying like, oh, well, it's easy to shoot in Georgia. Well, it's easy to shoot in fucking Canada, Pennsylvania, saying all these places. I'm like, what why can't that be in California? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love a Keyxote trailer and you only get those in California.
Speaker 1: Baby got to video Village, not video village, I got to I got to base camp yesterday for my own new project, can't say yet, hopefully can say soon. I walked onto a studio lot. It was base camp on a studio lot, and it felt like hooray for Hollywood, and I was getting put into hair and makeup and actually it's more of a costume than I've done ever. And then the tour went by and I was like, oh, I had a little boy moment where I was like, I feel like I made it. I'm in costume as the tour goes by, and I'm on a studio a lot, and it was fun and I was like, see, this is the whole Hollywood California thing. It's literally hooray for Holly Good. The song that plays when you ring my doorbell, that lovey Unrose, it's a rotation. That's amazing you. I love that damn song. It's really a hit. It's really a hit. They knew they had something when they wrote it. They knew they had something when they wrote it. Well, that's my sundance experience for the most part. That's the gist. But wait, one more thing. What's the buzz on kiss of the Spider Woman? Buzz on Kiss of the Spider Woman? Is that it is really really good. It's very entertaining. I think Vulture just put out a review saying I'm not being too generous with it, but I'm still seeing it anyway. I don't fucking care.
Speaker 2: Bill Condon, this is the thing in the bill content I'm seeing. I'm seated and for j Lo, like, come on.
Speaker 1: I mean listen, all you have to do is say j low is going to be dancing in like a Hollywood production, like and that Bill Conson is doing it, and then I'm kind of there, like we'll see. I guess the reviews because I've also been reading the reviews and it seems like a takeaway is it's obviously two very different movies. If you don't know the story of Kisse of the Spider Woman, so it's about Argentinian prisoners, and one of them is a openly flamboyantly gay window dresser and the way he sort of deals with his life is by imagining in his mind Hollywood sequences and big dance numbers that feature his favorite star, La Luna, and that is played by Jennifer Lopez, and so Jennifer Lopez sort of exists as a movie within a movie, so that these two characters who are undergoing torture and you know, a very very very bleak existence in an Argentinian small prison style can sort of like escape somewhere, escape, you know, and deal with the trauma of their circumstances. It's really interesting. That's it excellent musical, but as a movie it feels like a tough adaptation. And I think some of the comments are that it obviously feels like two very different movies, and one is more enjoyable than the other. But we'll see. Yes, that's just the buzz on the ground. We literally will see the movie. That's the scuttle butt on that huge, huge praise and buzz for Ava Victor's film, Sorry, Baby, Wow, nice the debut of a new a new filmmaking voice.
Speaker 2: They I mean, Ava Victor is getting so many accolades and they were so happy for them. A friend of the show, friend of the show, We love Ava so exciting just just on some many like Lucas Hedges.
Speaker 1: Is in that movie. Cool. Natalie Rodter Ateman friend of the show. Also in that film is Natalie up at Sundance.
Speaker 2: I don't think she is. I would have loved to see her. I don't think she is, unfortunately, or maybe she is. Maybe I just missed her.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm not everyone's here for like a full five six days, and I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Here for two nights and I'm scuting. But yeah, I gotta do it right next time.
Speaker 1: What are you coming back so quickly for? Like? What is it the I gotta work on the shoot tomorrow. So then at the end of the week, this is where we say we're going to We're having a Vegas moment, my first Vegas moment since high school. Wow. Wow, yeah has changed. We are having a vaguus moment. And let me tell you something. We are doing it big. We are seeing on Friday night Shanayah, on Saturday night Mariah. Is it Diva's Live or what? Or what up in this piece? I cannot wait? Or what?
Speaker 2: My My family never did the Vegas shows. I mean, I guess, like the kids don't even really.
Speaker 1: Get no, no, no, it's not a family thing. I mean the first time I ever went was in college, and I remember, like my like dumb basic ass was like it's like Disney World for adults, which is literally what it is.
Speaker 2: I got to take you on the roller coaster. I don't know about that. Why how about you take me shopping? That's the roller coaster?
Speaker 1: A right, we can go shopping. We can definitely go shopping. We can definitely go to the buffet. We will definitely be going to the shows. We will be on one. I cannot wait. And I just if there's a camera up in here and the best because of that's for if you see us. Yeah, if there's a camera up in here, it's gonna leave with me when I do. Yeah, I'm taking that camera. Does she say touch my body? I haven't looked at the set list. I'll be shook if she doesn't. I love touch my body. Ohay. Also legend and the music video unbelievable legend. So we're supposed to do. I think the suggestion is that everyone wear a little glittery something to Mariah and everyone wear a little leopard something to Shanaya. Oh, I don't think I have the leopard your coat that you wore on the Red Carpet two. I saw your look. I saw your lank Fisher marniecoat, a Marnie zebra coat. And what were those pants like? Purple plaid pants? They were blue plaid pants. Never can tell them apart.
Speaker 2: Of no problem and some fun power clashing, a Michael Fisher nudge, A polite Michael Fisher nudge.
Speaker 1: We love him.
Speaker 2: By the way, can we get your response to the oscarms? Talk about bagas and then we'll talk about Oscar toms a bit. I mean, we said that's what we're gonna be this weekend. We will have a full report when we get back.
Speaker 1: Yep, let's talk Oscar noms. Okay, So first, of all I want. My big takeaway is that you guys were great. Oh things like you and Rachel so much fun together. I love the old comedy joke about how it's just comedy for gays and women. It's true. This was a really fun they You guys did look amazing and great pronunciation. Thank you. Can I say your French was jumping out girl? It helps. It helps to speak a language, to have a flexible tongue. I think I'd be truly adrift. I thought the USCAR nominations were pretty good. I have my disappointments of my disappointment not to see Margaret quality there. I really am very disappointment not to see Margaret. I can't say I'm like totally in love with the supporting categories for whatever reasons, no challengers noms. I think the challenger's lack of love sucks. But you know, I've seen almost everything this year, and I'm not going to go out of my way to say anything negative. But there's some boring stuff that's like floated to the top. Like for me, it's like, I don't know, like I just I think it could have been a little bit more interesting had we thrown in like yeah, challengers into Best Picture if we had seen even like, I haven't seen this movie because it terrifies me, but like people loved us faratu. I was like, it's got lots of craft nomene Yeah, a lot of technical stuff.
Speaker 2: But well, I was I was just buzzing through because there was about a four hour window where they took your phones away.
Speaker 1: I get in and the Academy's like phones place.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, of course, so I get in my flight lands at twelve thirty.
Speaker 1: I have to be at the academy at one am. Oh damn. And then oh I didn't know it was like this.
Speaker 2: They snatched your phones away and then I am basically prepping for four hours doing little social hits, but also about a solid hour of pronunciation training with the wonderful Cliff at the academy, who uh lewis Rotel shouted out to me over DMS. He was like, that is the Oscar Oracle. That is, he is the Oscar Oracle.
Speaker 1: And so they tell you who the nominees are going to be beforehand. Yeah, so I get a big binder that has all the nominees. Oh wow, And so you were so you got to be a little gagged beforehand. I was gagged.
Speaker 2: Beforehand, flipping through being like, oh my god, Sebastian like so fun.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Wait, so I've now seen The Apprentice. Those nominations are really well deserved. Jeremy, congrats, Jeremy's about And I understand people are like squeamish about watching the movie The Apprentice because of the trump of it all, but like, when you do get around to it, those performances are excellent and I enjoyed the movie. I really did. Yeah, I guess this is my thing is It's like there's a lot of like interesting, bold movies out there, and I want to say, I think I just got used to the idea that something like The Substance could be nominated for Best Picture, so that when it was, I'm not giving it its flowers right now. It's amazing. So many things are nominated and up there for awards that like would not normally be and I think it's great. Lots of international stuff is nominated. I'm just gonna say it, I'm not crazy about a complete unknown. And in fact, to say to say I'm not crazy about it as an understatement, I find it to be a Wikipedia to a karaoke track. That's the read I'll give on for this. I mean, especially because he did walk the line, which was so good, right, Like, I just feel like it was this. It was like a low impact version of that same movie. I think it's really hard to like dramatize and bring emotion to the story of someone who was by definition unknowable and very removed. And I just I did not find it that compelling of a story because I actually think that not every cultural figure has a compelling story.
Speaker 2: If anyone injected like actual stakes into that film, it was I'm gonna say, weirdly Norbert Leobads, Yeah, I mean yeah, he was the character where I'm like, oh, oh, okay, this is this is why we should care question Mark.
Speaker 1: It had its moments, you know what I mean, Like I thought, like I said, I thought. I thought the ensemble was great. I thought the casting was excellent. It's just it didn't add up to an altogether very compelling story for me. And I thought the performances in terms of the music were good. You know, it's something against it. It's just I look at the Oscar nominations and see that it did so well, and I'm like, now, really, But anyway, that's just how I feel. I'm not crazy about that movie. I wasn't crazy about Conclave, but again, I did see that on election day. You watched it on election day.
Speaker 2: I went into Conclave being like this is probably not gonna be for me.
Speaker 1: Really really enjoyed it? Yeah, no, I mean a lot many many people did. And there's so many movies up there that I'm like, I really loved. It's just I don't know, it's just some of them. I just don't care that much.
Speaker 2: There's a whole TikTok about how the scansion on its very nice to Me, Like, how fucking crazy? Why would the emphasis be on those specific syllables. There's no like you could just go skip the very hello nice to me, Hello very nice as opposed to hello very nice to me.
Speaker 1: It's like so it's like I don't totally buy into.
Speaker 2: The idea that like it's meant to be like caustic and it's meant to sound like a melodic or whatever. I'm like, no, like standing the musical sort of like zone, shall we say, and just like deliver first of all, not onlyamos if.
Speaker 1: Amlia Perez has no haters. I'm dead. Well, there you go. First of all, you know who completely snubbed that movie, Glad Right, well, there you go, right there. So, first of all, I know there's a lot of discourse about this movie from the trans community, from the Mexican community. I'm not gonna weigh in on any of that. What I'm gonna say is this movie is at the same time it's so chaotic and it is also so boring. It's both. It's kind of crazy, right because it just comes in and sweeps these nominations, and now I have to ask why come on? Like Becca says, twenty twenty five is green Book, But it's not like that though, because green I guess in kind it sort of is, because it's like a you know, a queer movie that people feel like they can get behind in the Academy. But it feels different to me.
Speaker 2: It's already the villain though of this, of the season and the campaign, and so I feel like, I don't know if they can go the distance in the words of Lisa Barlowe.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't. I don't know how I feel about it being the villain either. It's just like it's not good enough to be the front runner. In my eyes. And it's also not like I'm also uncomfortable with the amount of hatred that it's garnering, because then you look at some corners of the internet and it's like people, it's people like you know, I won't even say the names of like some of these YouTubers I've watched, but it's just like, you know, they they play the clip of that sex change operation thing, and then it cuts back to them and they're hating it. It's like Becka saying, right now, hating it for all the wrong reasons, right, and like, you know, that feels really uncomfortable. But then when you put that clip out there as a representation of the movie, how exactly do you think it's gonna be received. I don't know. This is a really bizarre cultural moment this movie, because it's like I don't know what it is. I think they decided really early on. I think it premiered it can and they decided really early on this was like the prestige big movie of the year, and also it's Netflix and everything, so it'll kind of packaged up to be this like big Oscar movie. And then everyone saw it and everyone has these like crazy polarizing responses to it for good reason. And again, this has nothing to say about the performances. The performances are great and it's well done, and I think Zoe Saldania will win the Oscar for it, and she's stunning. But this movie, it's like, what exactly are we watching? It doesn't have to be all these genres. Sometimes that's just confusing. I find the story to be compelling.
Speaker 2: It's compelling, but it also doesn't quite make sense either, and like the first doc stuff, it's like, well, why is she the one who has to like figure out logistically all these things?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's is that are our bounce on the and the words of Seth Meyers our bounces.
Speaker 1: That might be our bounce. I just thought there was there were so many great movies this year, and then some of them the ones that I was like, oh, yeah, those are the Givens in the Oscar Race. You know, you get around to watching them and like you're like, Okay, sure, I guess I guess we've decided this is the representation of film this year.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, before we move on, I don't think sooney, can we just talk about the announcement that just came out that we are officially coming out with the Rules of Culture volume Thank.
Speaker 1: You for reminding me. Oh my god, Yes, your girls are authors, future authors. Bon Yang and I will be co authoring The Rules of Culture volume one that is being announced today. We're doing it under Andy Cohen's imprint. Thank you King, Thank you Father. Twenty twenty six. We're eyeing publication for twenty twenty six, but we are excited to announce that now, and we are excited to get to work on it. And it's like, it's gonna be different than you may think. I think that a lot of people have been reaching out being like, where's the coffee table book with the Rules of Culture? Heard your suggestion there, We're going to do something a little bit different and a little bit more fun for us. We're putting our foot into this book. Yes, oh interesting in a sexual way. No, I don't think of putting your foot into it as necessarily a sexual thing. I just mean, you really put your foot in that, like you know what I mean? Like, isn't that an expression? Yes? But also it could be a kink. I think let's say it's both. Yes, we will be putting our foot into it in a writerly and kinky sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we're so excited and thank you to everyone at Crown Publishing Group, agents and all those wonderful people who make dreams come true. Oh, this is a dream come true Penguin Random House. We're so excited to work with.
Speaker 1: Y'all and Andy Cohen himself. Of course, this will be a true blast to do. And it's coming next year. What else is the time for. I don't think so, honey. I think it's time. Yeah. This is a scant episode, you guys, because it is early in the morning. This is one of those weeks where this was the only time we could do this and it is seven am for me, eight am for Bowen in mountain time. But we love This was really the mountain episode. Then last week was the laughing episode. This was the mountain episode. All right, I have something that I could do for I don't think so, honey. It's something that I'm like notice more and more and I can't wrap my head around it.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, this is Matt Rodgers. I don't think Sony's time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey. You're working out with all your jewelry on, Like I'll be a Barry's boot camp and literally on the on the treadmill next to me will be a woman in full earrings, Bengals and more. Literally, yesterday I was at the Hollywood location and I'm putting some of you on blast. If you take class with me, a woman's earrings full in. The guy next to me watches bracelets and a necklace. The guy on the other side of me a necklace, and I'm like, guys, what if something falls off? This becomes a project dial. And this is another installment in becoming a projectile culture. This is why you always wear seatbelts. I don't care if you think you're gonna be safe. If there's an accident, you become a project dial. If there's an accident at Berry's, I don't think so, honey. When you're a koutra monster guying everywhere and your ear ring mama on treadsticks becomes a project dial. Take the earrings off, put them in the lockers they provide for you. I don't like jewelry and all these things. Watch is flying around. I don't think so, honey. During the workout, not during group fitness, I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: That's one minute that is really I would say slightly dangerous.
Speaker 1: First of all, why would you want to wear all that stuff while you're dealing with weights and like materials like and positions where you have to like engage your body in certain ways.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say you're not at barries, you're at the gym. You're with some machinery and some hardware. Like that's just a disaster zone, Like you're something's gonna get snagged and caught.
Speaker 1: No things get caught on stuff. And that's what I'm saying. It's just like and then the guy next to me did that thing where he tried to, like, you know, at the end of a sprint at berries, like what people will try to jump to the sides instead of like running it down like like okay, okay, we're we're running out now. And then I have to say that bugs me because I'm like, you're gonna hurt yourself. No I know, but that's I think that you jumping to the sides of the of the treadmill like in order to relieve yourself of the strenuous activity. I feel like that is how people are going to hurt themselves. It's like it's it's not a natural movement, and it just makes me nervous next to you. I'm not yelling at you, bo No, I'm just saying I don't want you to hurt yourself out. Thank you. I never said that. I never knew you were this type of girl. Congratulations one hundred and fifty classes, by the way, thank you, huge feet. And I started working with a trainer. The fans of the Ride podcast may know JR. I actually asked him. I asked him yesterday. I was like, so, does does Benny talk about you on the Ride podcast because he trains Benny Drama And he goes, yes, Benny and Mary Beth, and I was like, okay, wow, so this is someone I feel sad I'm actually seeing him in two hours. I feel safe mentioning him on the pod. But now you have to ask. Nowadays the pod is so huge, you never know who's going to be uncomfortable by putting thrust into the limelight of lost culture. One of the funniest things about watching the nominations live because I did. I woke up early, as I want to do I guess lately, so I could watch you do the nominations live, and it's like I watch it on YouTube. Yes, I watched it live. I watched the whole thing. I woke up, I woke up at five twenty seven am, put that laptop on my chest and opened it for you, and Rachel sent it pronouncing French and looking hot. And one thing I'll say is the entire YouTube chat almost says people from Brazil going crazy for Fernando Torres, and I'm still here. I think she could actually win, like, and now that she's nominated, like if I do think to me is still a front runner. But I think that Fernando Torres's performance in that is so stunning that if people actually watch all of them, it might be hard not to vote for her. But obviously we're still teamed to me here and and team Cynthia.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I think, I do think it is a very fun stacked Best Actress.
Speaker 1: Racist love Best Actress this year. It ended up being such a competitive year, and you know, to say nothing of fucking Mighty Madison, who's absolutely amazing and as.
Speaker 2: Some people I think are rightfully feeling the Nicole Kidman snub, like that's a major snub, hugely Oscar worthy performance. I love baby girl, Nicole Kidman and Baby Girl like it's it's wild that she keeps getting better, but she is getting better.
Speaker 1: I mean to say nothing of Mariannejean Baptiste, who was also amazing on her Truth, which is a tough movie but like an unbelievable performance. You know. I loved Pam and Last Show Girl Like. There was so much going on this year and Best Actress, so kudos to those nominated. Kudos. Oh, I guess I haven't technically done my I don't think, Sonny, you have not technically done it. So this is your technical I don't think, Sonia. Are you ready to sort of shred? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I was speaking of shred. Oh, thank you for setting me up like that, for teeming me up like that.
Speaker 1: Go, this is going Yang's I don't think so, Honey, his time starts now.
Speaker 2: I don't think so many cross country skiing. I'm seeing some of you do this out here in Park City, Utah as I'm driving into town. Why what's the point. I'm sure I'm gonna get lectured. There's probably so many wonderful reasons to do it. In the times that I've done it, I see no value. I see no enjoyment out of it.
Speaker 1: I see jelly sore legs the next day, or even the same day, even day of If you're going down the slopes, I know there's risk of danger. I know it's scary, but at least you feel exhilarated. You go, wow, fucking I went down a whole ass mountain in twenty minutes. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna eat a fat ass burger or a big pizza at the lodge to reward myself. There's none of that built into cross country skiing.
Speaker 1: You're in a field, you pass by a horse who's like five hundred feet away. It doesn't really give the give and I don't really and I'm seeing people still do it. I thought we left that.
Speaker 2: I thought we left that in the seventies, the eighties or whatever, the nineties. Why are we doing it in the year of Our Lord twenty twenty five?
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. I'm so sorry to hear this. Thank you. It's hard for me. Yeah, I mean, and you were so you really want to go to Aspens Ski Week? I do. I really do. Okay, so we'll go and you can do your thing, and I guess I'll be that girl in the house that's like drinking. I would love for you too, don't say it, learn I mean, I would do some greens with you, and I think you would have a good time. I've never talked to someone who had gone skiing that didn't have a torn acl. S right, what about me? What about you? What about you? For one? Oh, you ever thought about that you have a torn acl? You don't even know? Sure? I bet, Oh my god, if I said I would get it would be your own person. It would be oh my, good girl with a torn acl, with such a character in high school, you know what I mean. I remember I went to high school with this girl Sam, and it felt like she was on crutches for two years.
Speaker 2: Of course it was so debilitating. It's not to say that she didn't need the crutches. It's just it fucks you up. It's so funny that this person in my life has probably gone on to has probably has definitely gone on to live like a full life. Who knows where she is now, to be down a career, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But she will always be that girl in crutches on high school to me, and understand that if you are in high school when you're listening to this and you're on crutches, look around, sweetie. To everyone, the rest of their life, you will be the girl who was on crutches in high school. Period.
Speaker 2: If you're in high school, lean in or die, lean in or oh my god. If you're in high school listening to us, bless you, bless your heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, if you're in high school listening to us, reach out. We want to hear from you. Yeah or don't? Yeah, I like mind you beckoning minors? Hey, young young under eighteen aged people. Let us know you're out there. No, really, don't. Never mind everything I said. Jeez, we don't want to hear from you. You shouldn't be hearing from us.
Speaker 2: But thank you for listening to us. We love you, and we hope we inspire you to make queer podcasts in your future.
Speaker 1: And we hope that this episode inspired you out there. That's really what we aim to do every week is get on here and inspire with our cultural analysis, relatability with each other, and our energy. In our energy, this is an acclaimed podcast. I mean thank you again to Glad for nominating. No, not Glad, wait, yes Glad, yes Glad. And also iHeart we got two nominations for Podcasts of the Year.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and we still cherish our Signal Award. Oh, I'm looking at it right now that we want on alongside of Straight Parrel and I'm going home to it in an hour. Can't wait to get home and hug my Signal trophy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful. We end every episode with the song. But man, I feel like I'm going out. It's not rad. Can I say one thing. There's a group thread of a lot of people that are going to Shanaia and Mariah and there was some like really shitty stuff being said in the Shania Life. We're not gonna be disrespecting Shanaiah. No, So we even get in there, and I can't wait to get there and look around at these gay people and have them be like, wow, I didn't realize that she had so many songs. I'd be like, no, you know what, you just and open your goddamn eyes. Can I just say, make fun of a Canadians? Making fun of a Canadian is so irol don't do that, So passe compose well? Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Last Culture Asis is the production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players in My Heart Radio podcasts.
Speaker 1: It's created and hosted by Matt Rodgers and Bowen Yek Executive produced by Ada Hasnier and Hans Soni
Speaker 2: Produced by Becka Ramos, edited and mixed by Doug Bamimi fla Board and our music is by Henry Komerski