Speaker 1: In today's episode of the Command Center Podcast, we got the running back carousel and free agency. All these guys changing spots. What does it mean?
Speaker 2: Fred?
Speaker 1: I don't know. You're gonna tell us here in a second. And we got free agent Frenzy. We talked about the alleged signings of the Washington Commanders and up or down? Which way do we trade in the driving dash? Stay tuned to find out.
Speaker 2: Cause she not around.
Speaker 1: Welcome into the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred's food and Santana Moss and Fred. I got to see something very specially to Shay. Came by the office. Got to see you on disan audition for the Marching Band. I did the segment which will be on our show coming out on Thursday next week. So how'd that go?
Speaker 2: It went well. I think I'm gonna make the band. You know what I'm saying? Is it change it up?
Speaker 1: She heard about it on What Is going On?
Speaker 3: I tried out for the Washington football team, the Washington Commander's Band, you know which. We we have two teams in NFA. They still got bands in Baltimore. And I tried out for the Symbol Player yesterday.
Speaker 2: The only instrument you probably can play, you know, a drum major.
Speaker 4: I wanted to be a drum but they have one and.
Speaker 2: See you, but we had it.
Speaker 3: So I tried out for the symbols yesterday, and I think I made the band the symbols.
Speaker 1: Is that what they're called the Yeah, I got to hit them their triangle.
Speaker 4: You know, I made hell out a triangle that the act pretty hard to do though, seriously.
Speaker 3: They're hard to hold, Like, I don't think people understand they're like when you see them heavy least they are.
Speaker 1: Heavy, they're just awkward and there's not like I thought there'd be like a little handle, No, with some on it.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: But it's just it's a little like a scrap.
Speaker 2: That's it, sticking your hand holding it on our sides.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And so Fred did a pretty good job. And then then the woman who does it for the band showed us out come out and just you know, pund whatever she did.
Speaker 4: To your credit, you didn't get that much practice time probably right. No, No, they called you right in, we're gonna feel them today, and knowing you, you told them that, and then they didn't tell us what instrument and then Fred.
Speaker 1: I came to watch Fred because it's like a part of the bed, you know. And then I got in there and Fred's like, you do it, And I was like, I don't even know how to hold this. I did tried. I tried it, and I feel like I messed it up because she was like just banging them together and I feel like I was just banging like my hands were not.
Speaker 2: I think we were just trying. We were using too much power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when she did it, she was like kind of keeping it.
Speaker 4: Nice, and she turned it this way. It started to go back and forward crossed it.
Speaker 2: We knew that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like she could have helped us out there a little bit.
Speaker 4: So it safe to say that the one instrument that we've seen for years in the band that.
Speaker 2: We thought was the easiest to gate, it might be the hardest one. It might be the hardest one.
Speaker 3: I could probably play that old dirty school flute better than I could play them symbols.
Speaker 1: Right, we should try to get that going dirty playing in don't okay? I wanted a serious answer. Have you played an instrument before?
Speaker 4: I told you already started a lot? I told you all us played the dirty school flue, elementary, the.
Speaker 1: Recorder, the record, the recorder.
Speaker 2: I played the recorder, and I told you I used to play the triangle.
Speaker 1: Like like not ironically, like seriously, for you know that was the preacher.
Speaker 2: He was in He was in there doing doing his the triangle. Uh huh.
Speaker 4: And I no, I'm being honest.
Speaker 2: I believe you triangle, dirty flu and symbols. Now what else did that?
Speaker 3: I guess you want to add the symbols to it? But also I play a mean cow bill? When did you have from Missippi State?
Speaker 2: That's our thing?
Speaker 1: Is the call nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you know just ringing it or you know there's like no no.
Speaker 3: See, to ring a cawby is to actually get the attention of the cows and running them a certain direction there with a cavell as fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought the cowbo was to know so you knew where the cows were.
Speaker 3: No, the cow bell is for me to move to herd. No, it's for you to move to herd. Listening Now, if I play the cow bells, an instrument like this is for me to use it on cows. Now, if I turn it the opposite way and pull out a stick, the stick and start to play it like this now, playing the cow bell as an instrument more cow.
Speaker 1: Bell, I can think about it. Have you've seen that's skip?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Aa oh it's stupid. Mo cow bill. What about you in an instrument?
Speaker 1: No, I never played an instrument period. Okay, Jason, what's up man? You got something? We got We just saw a commentary on what's happening right now.
Speaker 2: Heye, I feel so much hate.
Speaker 5: A cowbll is worn around the neck of livestock so herders can keep track of the animal via sound.
Speaker 2: He was right. What about the call of state?
Speaker 4: The cow bell stick is to move the cow country? People out there that list stuff so technical? When you put the cow bell, put the cow bell on the cow.
Speaker 2: Yes, what is the name of the thing that he's trying to describe? My cab?
Speaker 4: He's missing he's misinterpreting what it's called. You know, this is what happens, because I'm pretty sure it's two of them because they do.
Speaker 2: Something. But I don't know what they think about our cow bell?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 3: They was playing a game in the early like fifties, Missippi State versus Old miss Third quarter in the game, we're losing by twenty cows storm the field. They use the cow bells to get the cows off the field.
Speaker 4: All right, we come back and win that game. Mississippi State adopts the cow bells their instrument.
Speaker 2: Because of that one thing.
Speaker 1: Everything you say sounds like you're making it up.
Speaker 2: Every like that sounds.
Speaker 1: I know, that's an amazing story and it's.
Speaker 2: Probably man, I don't doubt them no more.
Speaker 1: It's probably true, but it's that's that story sounds made up like cow's got on the field, and like it's probably true. I don't disbelieve you, but like I'm just.
Speaker 2: Coach. Is cool?
Speaker 4: Mississippi State used to be Mississippi A and m used to be missipy egg and coaching. Now this is it sold. The cows ran on the field, We ran them off with the thing I did. Yeah, if you would, I'm like a damn damn boy.
Speaker 2: You can see me on that back of white picture.
Speaker 1: Turn around. You're actually like a vampire.
Speaker 2: Is that free? My cousin August?
Speaker 1: And on that note, just a reminder, Yeah, we're brought to you by a bet three six five. I bet three six five. We don't do ordinary. We believe every sport should be epic. Right now, New Customers can choose between two offers when they open an account about three sixty five. Use a QR code to sign up, deposit ten and choose between either first bet safety and offer. By placing a bet up to a thousand. If you're qualifying bet losers, you receive a match refunded bonus bets or betting. Get offer in place about a five or more and get one hundred and fifteen bonus bets. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. About three sixty five Official sports Betting Partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 4: Must be twenty one plus physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly if you are someone you know has a gambling problem and one help Kyle one hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: You read that like AI kind of Yeah, it's good, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 2: Learning all right.
Speaker 1: Guys, we got a lot of stuff going on, to a lot of stuff to talk about. Free agency is in full effect, right, which is always exciting. But there's one element of free agency I want to talk about before we talk about the Commander's free agency, and that is the running back carousel. Yeah, all these running backs kind of switching cheat teams, for about the same value. And you know, we've talked about running back value on the podcast before and I thought we'd kind of this is a good opportunity to kind of put a cap on that, And I just want to get your guys initial thoughts running back value. Let's start with Santana.
Speaker 4: Okay, mynsort thought is what's crazy to me is just understanding what's going on when we talk about the different running backs going in different places. So is it that the team say that I can plug anybody in here and get the same production, or is the team saying that or the other teams are saying where I'd rather have this guy and get more product.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of lost that type. You see what I'm saying, I'm more tight.
Speaker 4: It's almost like either or it might be the team saying, look, we don't necessarily need a Henry, we don't have certain need a sa Quan. Or it could be the other team saying, what with a Henry, we can be that much more efficient efficient or we're a sa Quan, we.
Speaker 2: Can be that much more lead through offensively.
Speaker 4: So I'm just trying to grip get a grip on what is the whole perception of why these guys are basically playing musical chairs right now. I think with the NFL, really they try to devalue the running back, but they can't devalue the running back without devaluing the quarterback because a quarterback, I mean a running back, protects a quarterback in the way nobody else does.
Speaker 2: When you can run the ball.
Speaker 4: If your quarterback having a bad game, that they're running back protects him with his legs. A past game running back protection with pass coverage the running back.
Speaker 2: The teams in the playoffs last year.
Speaker 4: Had running game, no matter if it's for check O or Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: And what they doing over at the Ravens.
Speaker 3: I think when you look at these guys, let's say, for instance, say kwon three dimeback do it all?
Speaker 2: Is he a step over Swift?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They upgraded in that position.
Speaker 3: You look at a team like the Ravens, they felt like besides Gus Edwards, they had nobody that could run down and get him their physical.
Speaker 4: Prayers prisons here here go Derrick Henry. When you got a team like this like.
Speaker 3: The Packers, the Packers feel like they're there, like we need to go get a couple players to put us over the edge.
Speaker 2: So what do they do. They get Josh Jacobs and they go sign the safety. They saying we're in win Mo.
Speaker 4: Now, when I look at some of these teams, Tony Pollard, they're building some At the Titans, they need youth with their running back, and they also want something different than what they had.
Speaker 2: They used to own the suv and Derrick Henry. Now they want a.
Speaker 3: Sports car they can play three down to catch out the backfield. So I think some of this is about identity, while some of.
Speaker 2: This is about I need to get younger.
Speaker 3: I need to get somebody to get me in here that gets me over the age to win a championship.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I still think the running back is like relatively devalued. I think when you look at the free agent market, it's crazy. When you look at the edge rusher market, it's crazy, Like, look at you know, we signed or potentially allegedly we signed an edge rusher for you know, thirty three million dollars over three years. That's eleven million dollars for a guy that was a kind of a rotational spot guy. And again he's he's a good football player. Don't want to diminish that. Yeah, But here's a guy and Dereck Henry, who was the NFL's leading rusher the past probably you know, he's been in his career at certain points, right, always kind of close to that two thousand yard mark when he's on and he's signed for about eight million dollars, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, in terms of like per year. So I just look at that value and I say, the running back position is devalued. Yeah, right, And I think the interesting one in this kind of collection here is Sakuon Barkley, you know, leaving the Giants going to Philadelphia, because he is the closest thing, in my opinion, to the standard at the position. That's Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A guy that can beat you in the past game is a mismatch in the run game from an athletic standpoint. So that is the reason why that number makes sense to me. Now, the thing I would I want to ask you guys, though, is that that doesn't seem to fit traditionally with the team building philosophy of the Philadelphia Eagles. They've because the offensive line is so good, they've been able to put anybody back there. Like the Swift had a great year last year. Yeah, and he was on like I think he was on like a two year, eight million dollar contract or something like that, basically peanuts. And you go and you quadruple that salary number obviously for a good player. And we like say quant a lot on here, But is it worth the extra expenditure, especially when you can seem to find, like all the guys you just talked about are really good football player.
Speaker 2: But I think when it comes to their situation, it was room.
Speaker 4: I'm not one hundred percent sure, but it was rumored that Swift won it out whatever reason.
Speaker 2: It was, because he wasn't getting involed out and wanting to be there no more.
Speaker 4: So, when you have a guy that you know that fits what you do, you're going to try to go get the next best guy that can do that, and the next best guy who can be Swift and be ten times betterness with for I won't say that much betterness with, but say Corner is like like like a times five to me when it comes to what he can do with the ball in the passing game, in the run game, to me, it feels like it's been a little more for.
Speaker 3: Him to me, It feels like the side effect of watching the forty nine ers build their team. Like I think McCaffrey what he does for that offense, Saquon can do for this offense.
Speaker 2: He takes him over the top.
Speaker 3: Like right right now, we went player for player Philadelphia and the forty nine ers quarterback. I get a Philadelphia running back. I watched those two. I think they're equal. All right, I go Brandon, I you can debo Sammers. I'd rather have AJ Brian and DeVonta Smith.
Speaker 4: The only play San Francisco be still met is George Kettle edges out that it's goddard. But I can see where they said, we're not far from that blueprint. Can we get a home run Hill and somebody that can tote the game when when the passing game ain't there, when.
Speaker 2: It gets cold, somebody could tote them.
Speaker 4: But what I will say another spot where they're missing, that is just the guy who's calling the plays. How they conduct their offense. Their offense isn't to me nowhere near what it was two years ago. How she coordinated them out here head so they a little further than what they might think. You can get all the players in the world but if you're not designing this thing around the way it's supposed to be ran efficiently effectively, then you're not going to be in the same boat as san Fran. And that's to me, I think a lot of the people. You can look at players all you want. I've been on a team where we didn't have probably as much as those key names when it comes to the running back position. Might have had a couple of guys on the outside include myself that was valuable, like some of those guys. But man, we've had Alfred Morris in our backfield and killed people.
Speaker 2: We've had a Hallu.
Speaker 4: On our backfield that offense and killed people like I've seen san Fran when Moister wasn't that much. We didn't know who the hell he was, and they went out there and you know, ran through people.
Speaker 2: So the way they run things and conduct things offensively eves the playing field.
Speaker 4: They can get the players and just make make them that much more of a player by being in it.
Speaker 1: Off But I think that's that's what I think. Maybe the point of this is, like, is say Kwan going to be used effectively in that offense? Because if they use them the exactly exact same way they use swift. Then it's money poorly spent right when you need you need to maximize that playmaker.
Speaker 2: Actually lean on lean on him would but.
Speaker 1: In his career he's not like that guy. You know what I'm saying, Like he's an explosive playmaker. I'm not no explosive play maker, but like you know, Jacobs, for example, is a more of a bruising, downhill guy that you can lean on, right, which I think is interesting that they that he goes up to Green Bay and they kind of he replaces aj Dillon and the other guy that was there, right, kind of Aaron Jones, right, Like that is a stylistic fit, but here, like just stylistically, I'm not sure that it works. And so to Tanna's point, it's like the running back is so important in terms of having a vision for how to use the position. And I think that's what I come out of this saying, like it's all kind of interchangeable, right, Gus that's Edward goes to Seattle, Yeah, right, and then it's like, Okay, who do we bringing us a big back Henry And it's like they're making about the same amount of money this year, you know, what I'm saying, there's no costs.
Speaker 4: And I didn't want to really step on you with this, and but just talking about interchangeable and the reason why I asked because if you look at a guy and who the Bingles just lost mixing mixing, what mixing did for them, Zach Mass is not the.
Speaker 2: Same kind of running back. He's not that level. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So don't get me wrong. I'm not taking them away from Zach Marssels. I think he had a hell of a year last year, and I think you on to get better. He's a young guy, but to me, he was more like the guy who backed up mixing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: And so with now you have both of those guys. I'm not sure if he's still around because p Ryan was here with us. Also, he was still on the team last year with them, right, Yeah, so I'm not sure p Ryan's still there. But now you're bringing Zach Moss to me, that's the same guy. Yeah, So you want that two guys want that slash year, that that that that who can be that you know, that style of play, who had the same start of play as a mixing because to me, I think he was one of those guys that no one gave a lot of credit to. But he was on pace at one time, running the ball like the kid that left left Arm or Pittsburgh prematurely what his name was, lebyon Bell that mix him looking like he looking like brothers. No, no, no, he just he just lasted a little long and stayed around a little long. And now you now, you now you're missing that guy, and you bringing a guy who's more of a bruiser, who can.
Speaker 2: Get down here with the ball.
Speaker 4: That that's that has similar style of play like the guy you have already as a second second stream running back.
Speaker 3: Speaking of it like using them right like I could say this, I don't think we used Antonio Gibson right as his time here, so hopefully with him going to New England, they would because I felt like when we brought him in we tried to make him a running back first, and I think we should have let him be a receiving back first and learn how to run the ball second. And I think that's what he'll get to do in New England.
Speaker 1: And obviously there's been a lot of a lot of reports Sticky Givoloo John conn reporting that Austin Eckler is signing with the Command, right, and obviously that's I think that's again another piece of the musical chairs. It's like Austin Eckler, a lot of people kind of saying, you know, an older back, right, Yeah, still catches the ball well, but nothing you know, explosive anymore. Likes he's still a.
Speaker 2: Good football, still a great receiving mass.
Speaker 1: But it's kind of but not like the dynamic athlete that I think Gibson is. And it's just interesting that you kind of move move one out, another guy comes in to kind of fill the role. And I do think there's a leadership element.
Speaker 4: Potentially difference in them is leadership and past protection. One thing Gibson achilles Heel was you wanted me in on third down.
Speaker 2: But if he.
Speaker 3: Has the block now he becomes achilles Heeled to you with Eckler, a guy that's quite six hundred pounds, his stuff, his face in there, and he's a good atlet val for a young quarterback. Like everything I'm doing on his team now is envision of a young quarterback.
Speaker 2: Like with my young quarterback, I need to have one.
Speaker 3: I need to have a third down back they can catch, but I also need my third down back to protect. And I also need him to actually blame some leadership, hold some people accountable, be an og in the room, and I don't think Gibson could do that. I don't think he brings in like when I say Eckla even though he's not the player, it's a respect that comes with his name that I think he brings in that room. And as a defense, hey, they got Eckla. Hey when he in the game and we need to watch.
Speaker 1: This also speaks to kind of like what like what the plan is? You know, because when you watch him in San Diego La now, right, one of the things that six out is like he's not like he's not like a great choice runner. He's like an outlet valve. He's goodding past protection, He's very solid, right, So, like, what is the vision for him and how they're going to use him? Cause honestly think I think b Rob showed Hi stuff last year that maybe theyink, oh, maybe he's a more dynamic in some of these areas. So it's just interesting how running backs are so interchangeable.
Speaker 3: I see, I feel like b Rob, he's running back one. I think they brought him in here running back one in half.
Speaker 2: But I think also if you look at what Kingsbury did when he.
Speaker 4: Was in Arizona, he had that Connor, he had the other guys who and who came in and he had those guys as almost like a what you call a thunder and.
Speaker 2: Lightning, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So I picture them using you know, knowing that, hey, we're not going to be able to just put everything on be robbing, especially being young and knowing that you don't want to put that kind of load on him.
Speaker 2: You want to bring a guy in that's one.
Speaker 4: A veteran leadership too, that has done it at a high level for for a long time. And you got to think about it. Last year was the first year that he kind of like wasn't himself and that's ye had a bad ankle and it was from the first game, had a hundred plusure. You look at what he did the two previous years, sixteen hundred yards from scrimmage, fifte hundred yards from scrimmage.
Speaker 2: I want that from a guy who just.
Speaker 4: Did who just was off that that mark last year, you know, and knowing things was a little different from him injury wise, So I would take that in the day and knowing that we're not bringing back Gibson, So that's like, you know who else out there that fits with be trying to do with that position and that third down you know, that third down running back.
Speaker 2: We need players like simply this. We got a roster with a.
Speaker 3: Lot of holes in it and ain't got a lot of players. So now we're starting to accumulate players. And the one thing I love to have on my team is good players. The one thing I know about Eckley, He's.
Speaker 4: A good football player, and I just want to start to stack especially in rooms. I can say this, Do you feel better off this one move better about the running back room than you did a week ago?
Speaker 2: Because I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like you have two young guys. Now you have a barian leadership in that room presence. Somebody said that having instead of having three your minds, you know, you got one guy who's who who can sit there and really kind of now, you know, I guess you can say, brain these other guys along how to be pros.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, you have you have the ability. But this is something I'm gonna tell you, I've been there and done that a long way. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in addition to the running backs, obviously, there was some big quarterback moves. Our guy, Kirk Cousins man, it's his best life.
Speaker 2: To listen.
Speaker 4: Million, God has blessed this man in a way. Listen, listen. He learned the art of dealing here, son too. Yeah he is like you see the difference of the dynamical turned.
Speaker 2: What you're waiting on? Jesus, listen to me, Kurt.
Speaker 3: I think what he learned through was franchising him. He learned one how to bet on himself. Two he got callous to being scared to bet on himself. And he said, after he got franchise here, I'll never take another dollar that ain't fully guaranteed in my life.
Speaker 2: Right, And it has worked.
Speaker 3: A thirty six year old quarterback coming out of killes almost got two hundred million. Desperate people will do desperate things in the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 2: But you know I won't say that.
Speaker 4: The reason why, don't get me wrong, It was I was wondering what was the whole, the whole hoopla about Kirk last year, I mean yesterday, I was laying the couch and I'm just seeing flies going on off.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why am I mad that Kirk got picked up?
Speaker 4: Then I saw the number and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: But what made me say? Oh? It's cause I'm like, okay, a hundred games. You can't be mad. No, I'm not saying you.
Speaker 4: I'm not mad because you know, we love paying guys. I'd love to see guys get that money. You know, I was coming to hear the third Now I just get money, you know what I mean? That was like, that's time to go. But you can't be mad if that's the number for that spot. If I'm the starting quarterback, this is the number. The number says this is what I should be getting. So if I'm capable. And then you got to Kirk's credit you and you coming to a system where these guys know who you are, these this this coaching style. I'm like, if there's any guy here who can run this system that we run, it's that guy. And if it's any guy that I know that's smart, that's intelligent, that's gonna keep a level head that has been through the fire man.
Speaker 2: This man have been through the wringer.
Speaker 4: You and me talking about from the things he went through here and Washington being behind r G three, then getting the starting position, then sit here not getting taken care of it, and have to go through that year of being a free agent then leaving. Like, all you ever hear about Kirk Cousins ain't winning games. Okay, last time I heard it's a team spot. Last time I heard, you know, But I understand what you're saying. Look, the one thing I've seen everywhere he's been the receivers putting up numbers.
Speaker 2: So obviously he's doing something. He's doing what he's supposed to do.
Speaker 4: I just feel like it's more on the team and not on Kirk. And that's all you ever hear. But the thing that stands out to me the most, and this is what I was telling my homeboys yesterday through the text messages and they was going crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm like, everybody has a point.
Speaker 4: Yes, who would thought Kirk Cousins would be getting this much money coming off of achilles being this old.
Speaker 2: But don't hate the player, hate the game.
Speaker 4: And I think right now the game states that as a starting quarterback in this league.
Speaker 3: You posted, yes you do, and you have spoken them. Preacher Santana Moss has spoken, But boy, I rebuke you. I rebuke you in the name right now because the one thing I know about Kirk, because you know what, Kirk and Deck, they're not so different, you and I. They got the same, dude, because you know why they are regular season.
Speaker 1: He wrote, gonna stop and I'm gonna stop here right now because in that division though.
Speaker 2: Oh hes gonna win a division, Kirk gonna win at theventure.
Speaker 1: So if I if I'm Atlanta, I'm like, this is a fair price to ensure we win the division with a team that is crazy talented.
Speaker 2: He already got his grill. Put In said. You know he get in good. I can cut on the road.
Speaker 4: He go gonna play on his rope and he fits in good with the Atlanta culture.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to do.
Speaker 4: You know as a quarterback, your record in the league, as a quarterback, you'll playoff record.
Speaker 2: I know what it is. You got in for four something like that. He got one more win. I won two games. I want two games. You got one more win.
Speaker 3: My fault thirty six years old, one playoff win, two hundred millions.
Speaker 2: By the fact I got three, I forget.
Speaker 1: I'm say I'll say, I'll say this a better guy.
Speaker 2: Kirk Is.
Speaker 1: Last year before the Achilles injury, he was he was for sure a top ten player at the position. He would do it so and then you look at the year before, probably top twelve. And so he is, even though it's late in his career, ascending. And I think when you look at players with his skill set, look.
Speaker 2: At Joe talking, Joe, we talk guys.
Speaker 1: Guys who are older have a you know, like have the ability to play longer, doesn't. And so I think when you look at Drake London, when you look at Kyle Pitts, they're gonna be able to draft. They're gonna be able to draft somebody at eight to help him out offensively.
Speaker 2: Who do you draft?
Speaker 4: The office the last time and you're running back already said he going for two bills, He going for two.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying, like, I just think like it's a good situation. It's a talented team, this team in the NFC. And so to me, if I'm if I'm Arthur Blank, if I'm I don't know who the gym is there anymore, But if I'm him, I'm like, this is the move because it gets us, it puts us who else who else is ahead of them now in that division. No nobody win the division. They're sure to playoff spot and who knows what happens in the playoffs. You make a run, and I will say, Kirk Man, he can deal. Now, you can deal. He makes big time NFL throws. So I think if the situation is right, this opportunity could be there, could be awesome for him. And it's just to me, it's just I say, is he healthy?
Speaker 2: That's the thing I'm just want to say.
Speaker 4: I said, the only thing that they have to worry about coming in where how far along is he from that injury?
Speaker 2: From?
Speaker 4: I think if they fix an achilles, like they fixing their cs now.
Speaker 1: The tyrope, what's the surgery now?
Speaker 2: Something they doing something disgusting. He's gonna be He's gonna be told.
Speaker 4: Okay, but I need to drop a new movie like woolf of Wild Streak two.
Speaker 1: Is Kirk Couz like his biopic? Yes, it's like him just in every meeting, just like Guaranteed.
Speaker 4: No No, Like when they say what you think about the deal, Kirk, hold on, let me call my age.
Speaker 1: Tell them all, yeah, we're happy for you. Kirk, go get that money.
Speaker 2: That's relacious brother.
Speaker 1: So the other thing Russell Wilson at the end of the spectrum man point two million dollars.
Speaker 2: This one guy got two hundred. The other guy got one point.
Speaker 1: But I love this for the Steelers because it for him, and I love it for Russell too, and I saw I love it for Russell because he's soil can paid.
Speaker 2: He's still getting parted from the.
Speaker 4: You're talking about to Bronco paying him eighty five million to lead. Man, that's just like your mama say, you know what, get out of my house and take this. Ru's basically gonna be sitting in Pittsburgh, whether he's the starter or not, which I which I think gonna be that he's coming there to start. But if not, if they still find something, man, he's gonna be sitting there. Man, they paying me thirty I'm gonna just use this right here, this pocket change.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna use it at one point too. Whatever.
Speaker 4: Hospital, Man, you're getting thirty eight million from somebody else to do nothing, to not play for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it almost not.
Speaker 4: It almost shows you how it feels to be a head coach that get fired. I mean, ain't gonna be thirty eight million, but it's some of them coaches. The guy named from Jimbo Fisher. Jimbo Fisher got seventy something.
Speaker 2: To go home. Yeah, so get off my landing.
Speaker 4: It just shows you where we act now with this sport, you know, with our money to waste, Like it's money out there.
Speaker 2: Man's it's really monopoly.
Speaker 4: It's really it's really to the point of where, man, look, if this piece ain't helping me, I'm gonna get rid of it.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 4: I don't care how much I owe you, you know what, Yeah, I got you put them on, put them on our thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: You know we'll be paying them, but I don't need you. I'm gonna move on. So that's what it shows me. And I just feel when somebody get humbled the way I feel like Russ has been humbled out because I don't know, get me wrong, like I feel like he's always been a guy that's understanding it.
Speaker 2: And he shot his shot in Denver. He came in there and said, hold that's right. Let me not even that part of it.
Speaker 4: Let me see if I can get some of the things that I've seen other quarterbacks. Yeah, at my at this tier that I'm on, received without saying let me, let me put that on my list.
Speaker 2: My checklist.
Speaker 4: But he got ridiculed for it, and I think only because he wasn't successful. If he came in there there to play well, they would have said nothing by him asking for his own office. They would say nothing by him person for other treatment. It's not like he didn't take those guys else. We're in train with him. Yes, he did everything that most quarterbacks do when they come to a team if they're on their other team. But they ridicule him about everything because of them not being successful. So I take I take it that he taking a lot of the blame outside of what Hackett deserves. Yeah, because he was still there and he played much better last year.
Speaker 2: So I'm happy for him.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I think he got humble. Everybody don't like it. But when you get humble, now you got nothing but up from there.
Speaker 3: To me, I can see him right now packing his club in Denver. Look back till Sierra, grab the kids, let's ride.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna bounce back.
Speaker 3: George Pickings, they run gag, gonna do a great job of hiding him in that defense.
Speaker 2: They went to the playoff with that team with no quarterback last year's got to think too, man.
Speaker 4: I think when you get around coaching staffs like the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 2: Like Tom, it reminds me of where he come from in Seattle.
Speaker 4: You have a when you have a foundation there that these coaches know how to coach the game. Like that's some of the things that people take for granted. Like I've been on teams where you be like it's an one thing why we're not.
Speaker 2: Successful, Like look who we got leading? You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It starts from up and people think it's start from or just having players.
Speaker 2: No, we've seen that.
Speaker 4: We've done that too many times here getting the guys, but not having the people to coach these guys.
Speaker 2: It's all about that coaching staff.
Speaker 4: And I think he's going to an organization that one knows how to win. Then a stab that two at the end of the day don't get the best out of it.
Speaker 2: What they want him.
Speaker 3: I don't think Champagne ever wanted Russ Like it's a player just to be wanted.
Speaker 2: I can get comfortable in play some football go along with.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, just reminder watch you by bet three sixty five. I bet three sixty five. We don't do ordinary. We believe every sports should be epic. Right now, new customers can choose between two offers when they open an account and bet three sixty five. Use a QR code to sign up, deposit ten and choose between either first bet safety and a offer boy placing a bet up to a thousand. If you're calling fine, bet loses, you receive a match refunded bonus bets, or better get offered in place a bet of five dollars or more and get a hundred fifty bonus bets. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. Been three sixty five official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 4: Let's be twenty one and Oda physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 2: Please gambled responsibly.
Speaker 4: And if you or someone you know has a gambling problem and need help, call Free It Gambling.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good, both you guys. Crush that today. Yeah all right, So now it's the free agent Frenzy. Yeah all right, So we have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of what we bring. Someone phone literally pick up my phone. It's the birthday.
Speaker 4: Someone sends me talking about Kirk and I'm like, we literally talking about that right now, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I love you so allegedly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've made some signings and as you know, we can't confirm these, but you know Adam Schaeffner, Kym John, I said, Joe John Kim, Nikki giavoliv all reported these signings. So let's talk about some of these players and how you guys are feeling about this, right yeah, And where do you think the direction is going for the team and how optimistic are you?
Speaker 2: I am very very optimistic.
Speaker 4: I love these I love these pics because we needed to fill roster spots and we need to fill them with quality. See, sometimes it ain't about the quantity, it's the quality. No, we got the best center that was in free agency. Nobody, nobody will say it's a competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be honest. Now think about this.
Speaker 3: Now, only did we get the best center, we weakened the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: We took their center.
Speaker 3: Right Starter, you're putting him aside, Sam Cosmi, legit pro bowling to me. Now on the other side, you got Nick al Geddy.
Speaker 2: Am I saying it? Right of Getty?
Speaker 3: I'm talking about Starter, super Bowl everything. Now I'm only left on this office a line to worry about the.
Speaker 2: Two tackles positions. I solidified a room.
Speaker 3: I solidified room because the one thing we could not have is a young quarterback and a young center. That would not a win. Well, I need somebody to make these calls. He's gonna tightly, gonna make these calls. I think we win in there. Frank Louvo. They gonna love him, They gonna love him. Listen, I watched some stuff from the h This boy swaps paint. He's mean, he's smart, he can blitz in. One of the best blitzing middle linebackers in the game. From what I hear in Carolina, he was the heart and soul of this team.
Speaker 4: When I start to hear stuff like that, I know you can't go nowhere without your heart. So he bringing that heart in the soul right in this building. Like starter. So another starter right there. And then zach Ertz. We knew were gonna end up with a young tight end. I need an older tight end and take teach this guy how to be a pro.
Speaker 1: You think you're gonna drove somebody or one of the young guys, Lady.
Speaker 3: Have we got possibility either or but we got somebody in here to fill in the gap. Um strong, he gonna start, he will be a starter on this team. And then you bring in a backup like Colin Farrell. He literally was number for a pick of his draft. Hasn't really paying out guy where he wanted to be. But sometime being in a new place, new chance, gives you a new chance to grow up as a player. So I think everybody that they brought in, even met Manchester, the kicker.
Speaker 1: We brought him the kicker. You watch a lot of kickers.
Speaker 4: Now I'm saying I know about this with him. I need to look at some kickers after what he did last.
Speaker 3: Time, saying he was a kick in Denver and you know how it is in Devil but it's one.
Speaker 2: Of the easiest places to kick because of the He was thirty thirty seven last year, thirty thirty seven.
Speaker 4: He was thirty five thirty five, Yeah, thirty thirty five rest points.
Speaker 2: So he don't want his points.
Speaker 1: A kicker. I'm I'm made to break it. I'm not watching killer, listen, I am because we don't need a kicker till we need a kicker.
Speaker 4: Then we about to go to the Super Bowl and he go the kicker up to mister kick.
Speaker 2: Now that damn it.
Speaker 3: Man, it's like then, no, no, I like to look at it right now. So we got a start kicker. We kind of solidified the offensive line. I got me him in the linebacker. We always We've been talking about linebacker since it started. And I got some people that fill in gaps. So I think we won.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I love it, don't I don't think you need me to break it down again.
Speaker 2: Fred is such a great job.
Speaker 4: I mean, but honestly, I mean, you know now, it was a great job. I just think when you look at any time you're trying to, you know, have structure in anything you do in life, you know what I mean. It's all about the base, the foundation, and I think this is a core of players that you can really, you know, structure your team off of. You know, rather these guys end up being starters or being great pickupst or whatever it may be, you need bodies, you see what I'm saying. So more than anything, you know, folks, I've been loving everything about this off season ever since we knew we was getting the new coaching staff, just knowing that it might not be till you like it. And sometimes it's best. I hate when I hear all these fans ready to have a parade, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I hate when I.
Speaker 4: Hear the notion of hey, we're gonna be thirteen and in fold this year. Like, I don't want to hear none of that. I like what I'm hearing because it's people on the fence, it's people that's riding with It's people just don't know. And I think it's best to not know and let these guys go out there and show us what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Show us how to build a team.
Speaker 4: One of the key things that Adam or Peter's talked about when he first came in, he said, yeah, we're not trying to built to win tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah for the loan.
Speaker 4: We want to win us want we want to win for years and years to come.
Speaker 2: So this is how you start this.
Speaker 4: This is what you go get the fundamental pieces to your team, the structure, what you need more. What we talk about year and year, all weekend and we go out throughout the season, the trenches. How we gonna How can sat Tanna Moss get off in the offense If you're not protecting my quarterback, how can you know? How can we protect the quarterback to even get off to you know, get his guys off if you not protect him. Same way on defensive side, when we lost our two edge rushers, we saw how how how how little we were, how small we were. We like, oh man, we thought those two guys inside was everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are.
Speaker 4: But without those guys on our side, you know what I mean, you need help. So and not to say these guys not to say Armstrong gonna come in and be that kind of a.
Speaker 2: Player, saying.
Speaker 4: It's getting bodies, fundamental pieces that can help you win. And like we know from just watching what Quinn has done defensively, when you get your guys you want because obviously these guys are handpicking these guys saying, guess what he can play on my defense? Guess what he could be a part of what I here. He knows what these guys can do from watching film. You know they're not just picking up guys because they on the market. You know, we watched enough film on them. We understand that they are valuable pieces and that could be an asset to us. Now you get them in your building and then you coach them up how to play in your scheme. You coach them up how to win and how to be successful in the way you do things. So I love it, and I think we're addressing everywhere before we even started really spending some money. You see what I'm saying, Like we spent some money, but money spend no money, you know what I mean. So I love everything about that, and I think that just shows you. And like I say, this is premature, so I'm not ever foring to sit out there and jump the gun. I don't like jumping the gun, but for right now, what I'm looking at is have me with the notion, like, let me sit back and watch very closely of what true real organizations do when they have that GM in place, to go out there and say, this is what we need, is how we're gonna do it, and we're gonna slowly pick the little you know what I mean, find the guys that's available, and build what we're trying to build.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one hundred percent right. And I think you know, when I was in San France in twenty seventeen, they were part of a rebuild and Adam was part of that rebuilding and they handle it very similar to this, right, So, like if you look at the Washington commanders. These guys that we've allegedly signed, you know, Dorrince Armstrong, just based on contract structure, seems to be a guy that went around long term, right, Tyler Yottish, Frank Luvu, Right, all those guys seem.
Speaker 2: To be you pronounce that name again, yadach Ya Gottish. Yeah, I was killing it.
Speaker 1: So those those three guys are kind of like long term, seemingly based on contract value, kind of long term solutions here. The other guys are on like one year deals essentially, right, Even Austin Eckler's on essentially what amounts to a one year deal. But I think what you're getting is you're getting guys that, like zach Uritz is a great example a guy that's been around, done and he understands professionalism. He can help mentor a young room. And even if he's not great at like mentoring or coaching the way some of these veterans are, you have a standard of performance and a standard of professionalism that's in the building, right, same thing with Austin Eckler, And I think getting guys like this in the building is extremely important. So again, like they have some pieces here that I think are long term. Some guys that are shorter term solutions, but like you were saying, Fred, at least that allows you to kind of tick boxes and checkboxes as we progress to kind of finalizing this roster. So's it's really exciting and I love this style. Like this is more general. I love the style. A guy that got I got it. Like when you watch Dorin Charmstrong, that dude finish his place, When you watch Frank Loeve, who dude finish his place, Tyler Beidis finishes, Nick Aldretti finishes plays right, those guys and Zach Ertzman he is you know he might be a future Hall of Fame is Zach er So? I think just getting again. Remember they talked about the type of guy they wanted in here. I feel like there wasn't one time where I was watching film last night I was like this guy, isn't that? Yeah, they're all and I think that is something that's so refreshed. The vision they say something, the vision coincides with it. And again, these guys got to come out and play. You never know how it's going to go. But as of today, based on what they did last year, you feel very very team Steel.
Speaker 3: So incomplete like we're feeling in gaps, filling in gaps.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 5: I want to let you know about something exciting that we're doing. We're doing free agency Fridays.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, you guys don't know about this.
Speaker 5: We're going to be promoting it soon. Free Agency Fridays. As soon as a free agent comes in, puts pen to paper, which is the room right next to where we are. They're walking into the studio. They're sitting down with Brian Colbert. They're getting an interview.
Speaker 2: Okay, right away, it's going to be only.
Speaker 5: Commanders talk like we don't care about you, see, only that, and fans get to ask some questions.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: So the fans that are.
Speaker 5: Listening to this on YouTube or on Spotify, put a question in for any free agent sign we have. We'll cipher through them and we will give them those questions. You'll get your question answered by our free agents that come in.
Speaker 3: Drop know the fan base and the fan base to get to know them. That's the hardest thing about free agency is going to another place every Friday.
Speaker 5: Every Friday will drop a free agency Friday.
Speaker 1: Let's gonna be fency. So the other thing I wanted to say as I also liked that they have covered up a lot of l's so you don't have to draft. Thank you now can draft draft best player available. And that is something that.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you put that out there because that's a lot of people don't look at it. You know, I'm listening to radio talk this morning. They're calling in one.
Speaker 2: Day that dude say that.
Speaker 4: Dude told JP and I love JP be mentioning JP show is one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: I love and JP does such a great job.
Speaker 4: And I think it was Landfield that said this had to be the all time worst caller ever.
Speaker 2: Dude like JPO being a drama queen. You all ain't hyping.
Speaker 4: Up everybody we get so so they was like, hold on, why are you mad at me?
Speaker 2: I didn't pick the guy. He was just talking.
Speaker 4: He was going on and on, and the dude had he saw that he made no sense. He sound like he was drinking or something like that. But it was just funny to hear people take on certain certain moves.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, nothing that he was making them out have.
Speaker 4: He was just talking about Mariota sucked and Sam Howe is sucking.
Speaker 2: And you can tell a guy who don't watch.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, it was just comical because it was the way they received the information from him.
Speaker 2: Like Okay, all right, buddy, we're gonna be gone with you.
Speaker 4: And it was just like man like folks really be you know, round up about stuff.
Speaker 2: Don't have no context in what's going on. Barber shop music what I call.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get to our next segment, which is up or down, and that's presented by Northwest Federal Credit Union, the official credit union of the Washington Commanders. Stop searching, go Northwest. Check out NWFCU dot org slash Washington to see how easy this to join and how Northwest can help make your money work for you. Stop by a branch and visit NWFCU dot org slash Washington today. Sorry, this camera is in the way for that.
Speaker 2: I don't worry about.
Speaker 1: So anyway, let's talk about this after free agency. The free agency friends, it was just so good. We're probably going to sign smart people. Yeah, of course, we let's talk about this in the draft. Fred, and I know you've got strong opinions, and I'm kind of curious to hear what you got to say about it, because you don't talk. You don't talk. You don't talk as much as Fred about this. Don't give your opinions so freely. Okay, okay, So after free agency, should we trade up or trade down? Let's make a case for both ye and then we're gonna talk about this some more depth. Fred on Ticket to the Draft, and we're doing a mock draft where we trade up. We mock draft, mockamentary. Yeah, the last mock draft that we traded down, so that you jeck those out. Ticket to the Draft. But Fred, what do we got? What do you think you want to do? You guys want to take sides? Do you want to be No?
Speaker 2: No, no, both us gonna give both of them all. So check this out.
Speaker 3: If I trade up, it's only for to bring the sweet Princess and Moon to home.
Speaker 4: Caleb Williams, like, you know how I feel about this. I believe if you think it's one of those guys in the draft.
Speaker 2: Go get him.
Speaker 3: If that's how you feel about him, if you could change your franchise for the next fifteen years, go get him.
Speaker 4: It ain't never what you got too much. What you're giving for that though, what we had willing to give for that one man. I'm willing to give Chicago. They got the first pick, we got the second, so I shouldn't have to give you too much. We want to give you. We're giving you our picking a player. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna give you this, this number two. I'm gonna give you.
Speaker 2: My second round pick, the first pick in the second round.
Speaker 1: Or exchanging picks. You get the second round pick, right, and you.
Speaker 3: Get this, you get to a pick from us. Yeah, you're gonna get No, you're gonna get my second. I'm gonna get your first, the second pick and the dragon. Alright, we're gonna trade throws.
Speaker 2: Trade.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give you my first pick in the second round because we got two of those. Yeah, and I will give you I will give you a player. I will give you next year's.
Speaker 1: Two, next year's two. So away they bite on that, and a player too. Two's who's player? Who's the player? Who's the player?
Speaker 4: Just just throwing is out there, John Allley, I gotta have somebody worth worth something, somebody else want you know.
Speaker 1: That's okay, Just to be clear that that's not happening. No, this is hypothetically.
Speaker 2: This is hypothetically.
Speaker 1: Everyone calm down, and I give you it's.
Speaker 3: Your second round pick and a former first round of it's still at the pig in this game. Just to move up one spot, I think you'll do that, especially if you're playing on keeping just in fields.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, okay, all right, So I don't think I still don't know if that would be enough because what I what I think it would take is three firsts to one spot. So that's all I'm saying. I'm always saying. So I think it would take three first and maybe a second. So that's and that's how draft pricing goes. And so is that here?
Speaker 3: I see if we was at the seventh peak, we're talking about one spot.
Speaker 1: But why would we spread this? Is so this is what I was having this conversation.
Speaker 5: Hold on, I want you guys to table this because we're gonna do this one to take it to the draft podcast. We're gonna have this exact debate with the two of them, So let's save it for that. If you want to hear them argue about the cost of the number one pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't take it to the draft.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll take you the draft podcast. Okay, So whatever the price is to trade.
Speaker 2: Up, I'm willing to pay for killing.
Speaker 4: Now if I trade down, there's the other option here, Yeah, trade down, trade down.
Speaker 2: If I trade.
Speaker 3: Down, I'm only doing it because I know I'm trading for Justin Fields if I trade down, because now I'm finished trying to stock players like that.
Speaker 2: Because now if.
Speaker 3: I trade down, un let's say ten, and believe me what you just said, they're gonna have to do for one, you have to do similar for two. So yeah, you're gonna how you're finish. Give me your next year is first, You're gonna give me This year is first. You're probably finna give me your second round this year. Ain't your second round next year?
Speaker 1: Probably one more, and honestly probably one. It's if you're moving up. Let's say like Atlanta doesn't need this anymore. But hypothetically, if Atlanta was moving up from eighty, the number being thrown around was three firsts and three seconds, right, So then and they've taken care of their quarterbacks. Yeah, so the next team is like, I, so what dinver, we're at fourteen? At fourteen, god, trying to move up?
Speaker 3: Now I got my quarterback, so I ain't got to go quarterback hunt.
Speaker 2: Now I can get one of the better.
Speaker 3: Tackles in this draft. I can leave here with the brock Boyers. I can leave here with players filling gaps. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I like, I like the whole trading down because I see that can get done more than moving up moving up. I've never had a notion to move up unless I just knew what was clear cut. We needed that one position, We needed that one guy, which I would have hoped.
Speaker 2: That guy just failed them to our lap.
Speaker 4: But with all that man said, I'm like, I like where we're at, where the way things hypothetically might panned out, it might be because we have our guy, or we have the guy already that we're gonna get. You know, he's gonna be. He's gonna land right there for us to go ahead and get him. So we probably ain't gonna make those moves.
Speaker 1: Love that couldn't say it better myself. For a more in depth conversation about this topic, specifically, make sure you check out the Ticket of the Drift and That's gonna do it for today's show. Thank you so much for joining us. Please make sure you liking, subscribe, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 4: Peace We are brought to you by Bet three sixty five.
Speaker 2: At BET three sixty.
Speaker 4: Five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sport should be epic. That's why we offer an end game experience which covers over seventy eight sports and seven hundred and eighty live streams two ninety million customers worldwide. Our online betting brand is powered by a world class proprietary product and over seven thousand employees across the globe. Whatever sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. At bet three sixty five, the official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders must be twenty one plus and physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 2: Please gamble responsibly.
Speaker 4: If you or someone who has a gambling problem and wants helped, call one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and our hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.