Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support.
Speaker 3: But enough with that, Let's get.
Speaker 4: To the show.
Speaker 3: Are we live? Are we good? Okay? All right, hello everybody. We are live from Chicago at the DNC.
Speaker 2: Shout out to all of our friends at Barstool Sports for allowing us to use the studio, specifically my man Eddie at the dog Walk Podcast. Everyone, if you are a fan of Chicago sports, go subscribe to the dog Walk Show. Everybody here at the Barstool Chicago office some love. They've been very, very kind to us, and we are incredibly grateful. As we continue our DNC live coverage, So we're gonna go ahead and get going, We're gonna go over some of the topics and all the other fun things. We do have some video for Crystal that we will be including in the show. Don't worry everybody. She will be on the show tomorrow here live from Chicago on Wednesday, and then on Thursday as well, so everybody stay tuned for that. We are of course running a promo right now one month free trial d NC free Breakingpoints dot com, where you can sign up to become a premium subscriber. You're gonna want to be, I think a premium subscriber right now because not only get to support all of our work, but we are going to be taking questions throughout this entire live stream, probably every time we do a topic, we'll take them from our premium subscribers on locals and so we'll be incorporating them into the show. Producer Mac is on the switchboard. This is a quite fun experience. We've got the producer cam Matt. Can you show yourself? Can you show yourself?
Speaker 5: Do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like look at him, look at him? Can we do a couch shot? Is that possible? Griffin give them the uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: So you guys can meet the entire crew. Griffin is here after tremendous flight difficulties.
Speaker 4: Could have walked shout out to so happy.
Speaker 2: Uh that he is here all right, why don't we go ahead and get started. So, like I said, Breaking Points dot Com take advantage d NC free if you want to support the channel. Let's go ahead and begin with President Biden's big speech. Of course, that happened last night. Now, one of the major stories to come out from the speech is not just the speech content itself, but the time that it went on. All of us were up very very late last night. I got shout out to ghost energy of empowering us right now.
Speaker 3: I promise we're not even getting paid. These are just so good. Yeah, we're just we're the suckers apparently.
Speaker 6: Also, you get a certain percentage of four daily vitamins four days.
Speaker 3: Incredible, incredible er, I mean, what else could you ask for? I have orange juice. Ever, again, let's let's get serious. Let's get serious.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the DNC and this this speech. Timing, Mac, could you go ahead and put the A one element and load that up please up on the screen, Thank you very much. So, what you can see in front of you is that President Biden did not take the stage until some or ten forty six pm here in Central time, which means he was officially past primetime.
Speaker 3: So here.
Speaker 2: What the media reporters over at the Times are saying is that ABC, CBS and NBC News all planned to continue their live coverage of the convention past that scheduled eleven pm cut off. But though the later it gets quote, the smaller the overall TV audience will be a development that quote may irk his allies in the party. And that very much was the case. If we want to go ahead and put a two please up on the screen, Maac, just to explain to everybody, of course, we're on Central time here. It's traditional that the candidate's speech, the flagship speech, is supposed to happen in primetime, right Ryan, And the longer that things were continuing, it was very clear that this was a massive snub and humiliation of Joe Biden. His own coronation, not coronation, his own what farewell at the Democratic National Convention is now overshadowed by people who are like Kamala's fourth grade friends who talked about driving to school, and you know they had who else like random congresswomen and others. Emily, as we were all watching it live together. Here we have that text to Alex Thompson from a long time Biden aid quote, this is awful. He literally set up a campaign and handed it over to them.
Speaker 3: Do they have to cut him out of primetime?
Speaker 2: So, if anything, one of the major stories before Biden even speaks emily is that Joe Biden is kicked into eleven thirty pm or so East Coast time before he even begins his what one hour long speech to the convention. So just talk to us about that dynamic. What did you think of that?
Speaker 6: Well? And they also started the night this was supposed to be Biden's night, his daughter speaking, his wife is speaking. They started the night with Kamala Harris. So Kamala Harris got electric response. And Ryan can maybe tell us more about that because he was literally in the arena, but she came out as a surprise, and to do that on Biden's night, I actually think is pretty interesting. Obviously, they're trying to book under the convention with Kamala Harris, but this is the sitting president. This isn't just any old incumbent, so it steals a little bit of the thunder. And then I also have to say there's some conspiratorial stuff bouncing around about how DEM's intentionally pushed Biden shoved him into the corner, stuffed him late at night. I think maybe the bigger story we're going to talk about this a couple of times in today's show is that this is a very poorly managed convention. They had to cut. This is what tells me that, more than anything, they had to cut freaking James Taylor, who you know, they did not want to have to go backstage and be like, bro, we're yanking you like you know, you know, they didn't want to have to do that. They did the same thing to DNC former DNC chairwoman Debbie Washman Schultz. They were the last minute scrapping people who had big speeches that were supposed to be in primetime or musical acts that were supposed to be in primetime. So I don't think it was any grand conspiracy. I think they're just really flubbing it so far.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Ryan?
Speaker 4: Not sure you're right on James Taylor. So Taylor played at the Inflation Reduction Act ceremony, Oh true, Well amongst us forgot. I was at that ceremony and I said to the.
Speaker 3: Reporter next inflation went down, I was like, is that James Taylor.
Speaker 4: At two o'clock on a Tuesday, sitting around, don't you have jobs? Sitting around? List of James Taylor. So my point there that sounds like a Biden invitation to James Tayler, Like he must really love James Taylor, and he seems like the kind of boomer that would like James Taylor. So to cut James Taylor is actually a snub at Biden. Less less than it is Democrats being like, oh no, we really need James Taylor on there. I bet there are a ton of the operative class back there who are doing the organizing. We're like, this was a side to Biden. And you know what, who cares about Biden? Any right, that's right, we're screwing him everywhere else. Let's also yank Biden, like you know. So they had Warnock speaking, they had Chris Coon's speaking, they.
Speaker 2: Had Warnock's speech, which was genuinely right, emily correct. You No, it was definitely a good speaker. But Warnock's speech is happening during prime time. Warnock's speech is now going up until the eleven pm mark on the East coast, and he's not cutting down his remarks, he's not taking time cues. It was very obvious. I think that this was an intentional move. So Mac, could we do a three please if we could put up there on the screen. This was the official response from the Harris Walts campaign is it's a ridiculous and a silly suggestion, the idea that the DNC disrespected President Biden. So their explanation for all of this is that the that there was so much much raucous applause in the room that they happen to go ninety minutes late.
Speaker 3: That's just simply not possible. I mean, and I can't plan for I think that I am parroting.
Speaker 2: No, I'm parroting like Nate Silver and a few others who are like guys, if you believe that it was not an intentional snub or effort by the Harris people to create some plausible ish scenario where Joe Biden, the most unpopular president in like modern times, is pushed out of primetime and people are like, oops, I guess I have to watch Governor Andy Basheer and all these other cogent with it democrats talk about abortion. He's like, you're an idiot, this is very obviously.
Speaker 4: Or you believe or you believe Democrats are just incredibly incompetent.
Speaker 3: Well, I also believe that's what I believe. I think it.
Speaker 2: Could be a confluence of those two events. But okay, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 6: So then they're scrambling at the last minute to get rid of speakers that they'd plan to have, so like DWS and James Taylor and whomever else. Like that's the part that I just don't believe. I'm really on the side of the incompetence here. I think they wanted to get Biden out of the way on Monday, no question about it. They would forget about him for the rest of the week as energy momentum builds. For as Kamala Harris's speech, Biden is literally going off to Santa Barbara, so he's not going to be anywhere near this thing. They won't have the stink of Biden on anymore. I think they wanted to do that. I don't buy that it was I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Nate.
Speaker 2: Silver, all right, maybe you're right, listen, maybe I'm just a little bit too conspiratorial. So I guess all of that is a lead up to what was a very long speech, guys, how mean how long was it was about fifty five minutes. I think on the clock was very long. I mean, he did okay, like and I had a few old man moments.
Speaker 6: I think he looked the worst that we've ever seen him.
Speaker 3: He didn't look good. Yes, he physically looked for it.
Speaker 4: I mean it was late. I didn't look particularly good either. I was the leg flying to Atlanta, right, Chicago.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: I mean I think I tweeted that, and I was like Biden famously who has never crashed and burned after nine pm, we'll now take the stage roughly around ten thirty pm.
Speaker 3: I was like, what could go wrong in.
Speaker 2: Terms of them setting him up for I guess success or failure. Well, he lived up to, you know, some of his old reputation. He was kind of yelling a little bit into the camera. He tried to get very animated. He got a lot of thank you Joe Chance. So, Mac, why don't we go ahead and queue up. We've put together kind of a highlight reel for everybody, so I'll continue to just set it up. There we go, all right, Mac, let's go ahead and take a listen.
Speaker 7: I ran for president of twenty twenty because of what I saw in Charlottesville in August of twenty seventeen. Extremists coming out of the woods carrying torches. They're veins bulging from their next Carrie Nazis, swastikas and chanting the same exact anti Semitic bile that was hurt in Germany in the early thirties. Neo Nazis, white supremacists, the krew Kus Klan, growing bolden by a president then in the White House that they saw as an ally. They didn't even bother to wear their hoods. I could not stay in the sidelines, so I ran because I had no intention of running again.
Speaker 4: I just lost part of my soul.
Speaker 7: But I ran with a deep conviction in America, I know him, believed in America where honesty, dignity, decency still matter. Women are not without electrical were not allowed, not without electoral electoral.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 7: I've got five months left in my presidency. I've got a lot to do. I intend to get it done. Let's see spend the honor of my lifetime. The servers are present. I love the job, but I love my country more.
Speaker 3: I love my country more.
Speaker 2: All right, there we go. So that was our highlight reel. We tried our best to cut together. To be honest, My assessment of the speech, Emily is it was pure grocery store list. It was very much like Biden's last State of the Union. There was just check mark, check mark, check mark, check mark. Oh, gotta talk about unions, gotta talk about NATO, gotta talk about Seaspire, got to talk about kissing. Yeah, I can talk calling getting Henry Kissinger calling and complimenting him ten days before he died, which was funny.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: Nothing stuck out to me other than him literally being snubbed. It being frankly a long farewell. It was obviously well received by the enthusiastic crowd. Lots of thank you Joe chance that he was giving out. He gave shout outs to unions and a few other things he tried to He tried to paint a optimistic portrait of a country that he is handing off for improvement to Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: That was my overall take. What did you think?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: That's an interesting point because it reminds me of when Donald Trump had to deal with make America Great Again in twenty twenty. Right, he went with keep America Great.
Speaker 3: Key, that's what it ended up being awful slow.
Speaker 6: So it's something you always have to do as an incumbent. But Kamala Harris has started this dramatic economic policy rollout that we talked about yesterday, like she's trying to move really far away from Biden and remove herself from the unpopularity of the Biden Harris administration. So it's interesting that Biden and I think you saw a little bit of cope from Hillary Clinton last night too, right, of course we have to because it was really something. But yeah, so the other thing, when you're talking about the grocery list, he of course spent a significant amount of time on Charlottesville, as he always does when he's talking about his kind of genesis as a presidential a serious presidential contender, which he ended up being in twenty twenty. And the other thing I wanted to mention is, towards the end of the speech, he talked about how he It's something that Jill Biden had said too. She said when she was kind of introducing Ashley Biden that his love for the country was so great that that's why he stepped down. He addressed it so vaguely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, it was did not go into it at all.
Speaker 6: No, there were no specifics. It wasn't like I was sitting at home, you know, thinking about how much I love this country and decided to step down. It was really just a super like vague nod to this dramatic, historic, unprecedented decision that he'd made just in the last month, And that was it.
Speaker 3: What did you think? Ryan?
Speaker 2: So you you were in So just to explain a little bit of logistics, Ryan was actually on the floor because he's a print journalist and they have different privileges than us radio TV folks, tell us a little bit about Ryan Color. You were in the state, hold some of the protest conversation because we will get out in a little bit. Uh.
Speaker 4: The crowd is super fired up. Yeah, Like you can feel the energy in a way that you couldn't at some previous conventions. When Kamala Harris came out, as you mentioned, I was actually in the hallway and heard this like just absolute like explosion coming from inside the arena and popped my head in and said, oh, there's calm on the stage and the place. It's just rocking. But it was also rocking for Joe Biden, for like seven minutes or so, I feel like maybe maybe five minutes of like just sheer, just expressions of love and support for Joe Biden. But you get the sense that a significant amount of that is like release of like satisfaction, joy that he's not running absolutely like if he was, he were getting his speech as claiming a renomination, I don't feel like that you'd get the same five minutes.
Speaker 2: Did you guys notice that he was not liking the thank you Joe chance that he really because thank you for stepping down?
Speaker 3: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: I had the exact same or I was like, interesting, every time thank you Joe broke out, he was not having it. He was not having and we love you, we love it was very different. That was like okay, but it also comes.
Speaker 4: Across in a similar way like we we love you for the selfless act that you perform of not.
Speaker 2: Voting, which he talk about, which is again, I mean, this is the craziest part. And I'm so glad that you brought that up because I didn't even have that in my notes. The level of detail for why stepping down was zero. It was here is why I've done an incredible job. Every once in a while, I will say thank you Kamala too, thank you Wallas. And then he's like, gotta go out there and you know you gotta vote for Tim Walls. And then roughly around one am local time, he gets on a plane and now he's in Santa Clara, California. He's on literal vacation and he's out.
Speaker 6: He's he won't be presiding over the convention like Kamala Harrison. He won't be in the box looking at anyone, clapping, doing interviews, talking to delegates. He is out and they want it that way, no question about it.
Speaker 2: And as we have tried to highlight, one of the things guys that we talked a lot about yesterday is that they put the most unpopular people up on the stage tonight or last night. So they had Hillary Clinton, AOC, and Joe Biden. So we don't have any Actually, I think Crystal talks a little bit about AOC, so I'll leave it to her. I personally don't really understand why the pundits were like raving about her Ryan if we want to give our.
Speaker 3: Brief take here, like raving about who about AOC.
Speaker 2: I was like, she gave a very standard democratic speech and was like.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I think I think it's because the pundits are very pleased that that she's here Democrat, here's the last wing of the party up on stage. She's a good dem and Sean Vain also ran as like an insurgent up on the stage. Sean Faine didn't even mention Gaza, which is a big thing that the UAW has been pushing by. Non Aoc did become like, I think maybe the only or at least the first person to mention Gaza, but did in a way that ticked people off by saying.
Speaker 3: Well, she said, Kamala is working tirelessly towards the ceasefire, and we were all racer.
Speaker 2: Mac was like what, Like I audibly audibly was shocked when she said that.
Speaker 4: It's a very classic way of everybody sees what's going on. Yes, yeah, So I think that's why the punnit's liked it, because they're like, cool, we're all on the team. Now, the band's the band is together. Now let's rock and roll and go beat Trump.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I mean, let's give a little bit of our assessment. What do you think in the hallways, people were people were happy, and even the ceasefire delegates. So just a little bit of color. Uh, the ceasefire delegates are all wearing T shirts to say, wear ceasefire delegates. People are not treating them badly or anything. Now we'll get to how they treat actual protesters, but that's a different story going.
Speaker 6: And just a question for Ryan, could you talk a little bit about what kind of person is a Democratic delegate here at the convention, because it's a little bit different than Republicans. So what's the makeup of the people that are actually in the arena.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're in a major city and you're a delegate from Chicago, actually any any major city, then you're more likely to be a party operative slash machine type thing. You're probably a lawyer, somebody who's like involved in party politics in a way that influences your profession. If you're a delegate in the suburbs or in a rural area, you are a party activist. You're a die hard county party You love Democratic Party politics. It makes up your entire social life. You're you're committed, this is your thing, and you are probably a middle class like a normal person, except for the fact that you are like a hyperpartisan RST and this is the social life that you've chosen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really did feel like real fangirl energy for a lot of the Democratic we watched. Remember Mark Kelly in the hallway. I mean it's like he was like Jay Z or something like.
Speaker 3: I've never seen any Mark Kelly. I've never seen anyone.
Speaker 4: In greet a United States senator a social relationship. Yeah, it was very but they have to pay their own way. Like these people like you know, they're they're regular people who just this is their thing and they just deeply care. That's which is different than the planef's attorney from who lives in Chicago. And so I'm a Democratic Party activist because like I need the party to be favorable to me and my professional.
Speaker 3: Last thoughts here because we want to talk about Pelosi as well.
Speaker 6: I was just going to ask about the changes to super delegates.
Speaker 4: Are there still radically shrunk down but those people are still here, right, and they still get this. They still get the badges.
Speaker 2: And you know, we could see some of the VIP host the choak groom areas and all that those were down in the basement.
Speaker 4: The rainbow of hierarchy. They looked nice different badges. It looked nice in there. It certainly did you get a golf cart. You get a golf cart. That's right.
Speaker 2: You'll wear tucks, that's right. As long as we're in tuxes. I'm totally fine with the super delegates.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and get to Nancy Pelosi on CNN, also throwing some shade at Biden because it was I that at the same time that she, I mean, she's the one more probably more responsible than anybody else for getting out of the race. His own former campaign manager, Anita Dunn, confirms this. They've been in a war of words in the most like bitchy way possible, where they're like, some people didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Nancy Pelosi is asked about this in a CNN interview very briefly before actually taking the floor of the convention. Matt, can we go ahead and queue that up, please, just so the audience can take a listen, Let's go and play it.
Speaker 4: It does seem like there's some residual bad blood or resentment. And I'm wondering if you've spoken.
Speaker 3: To him and and and what your response is to that.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you just have to take a punch for the children.
Speaker 4: And that's what you're doing right now. You're just going to take a punch for the children.
Speaker 6: Who's punching right now?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I mean, I didn't hear this.
Speaker 3: If they an interview with me, he's showing the punch.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not I would never but but she.
Speaker 9: Said she doesn't want to fight.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants to have a fight with Nancy at this time.
Speaker 5: What I have to do right he made the decision for the country. My concern was not about the president, was about his campaigns, as he has seen the exuberance, the excitement that has come forth in our country. I just did an event for one of our members in Illinois, Eric Crenson, today. Immediately he got eleven hundred volunteers into his campaign as soon as that announcement.
Speaker 4: Nobody is questioning the fact that the Democratic Party seems much better positioned right now than it did four weeks and two days ago. There's no question about that. Former Speaker Pelosis.
Speaker 5: So why are we been talking about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why are we even talking about how you literally forced the president out of their race.
Speaker 4: Like he's dead? Why are we talking about you.
Speaker 2: That was I mean, but there was something kind of deeply sick about it because she not only is responsible for it, but we were all joking this morning. There's a video I think Griffin sent it to all of our chat where she's also pictured literally holding and chanting thank you Joe on the floor of the convention when she I mean, I guess it is cognizant. And that's part of why Biden doesn't like the chance so much, is because it's like, yeah, thank you for listening to me and getting out of here. We put you out to pasture. We basically forced you out, and there was not you know. That was the other thing that drove me crazy about the Joe Biden speech. There was no you know, high minded stuff going on here. It was the donor's pulled your money. You held on till the very last minute, and you're obviously bitter.
Speaker 3: Like and on the back. Oh yeah, now you want.
Speaker 2: To pat on the back for being such a patriot, right, give me a break, Yeah, come on, all right, Ryan, last thoughts on Biden.
Speaker 4: Well, Pelosi has a book out on power. It just came out. I desperately want to read this. I have a body I can give you one. Jillian bought one at Costco. I was like, they have it at Costco.
Speaker 6: So you know they have it at a Northern Virginia cost It probably is flying off the shelves.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest, Nobody Biden should read it. Nobody understands power like Pelosi. True, and to understand power at that depth you have to have some level of uh, sociopathology. Absolutely, so we're almost taking delight in like being able to wield it.
Speaker 6: Honest to goodness, we need a mini serious like game change style about Nancy Pelosi pushing Joe Biden out of office. That would be HBO.
Speaker 2: Well look, Mark Alprin was right, he had the scoop. Heah, he did have the scoop. So maybe we should get him to uh, we should maybe get him.
Speaker 3: We'll premiere it, premiere it. I'm breaking, But.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, let's go ahead and move on. We're going to talk a little bit about also forgive. Our producers are walking back and forth. It's a live thing. Everybody forgives it. Everybody's okay with no no, we have we we are embracing the podcast Dreamer energy. It's all we're having, right, now actually, yeah, I'm I'm actually kind of enjoying it. All right, let's go ahead and begin with abortion, because that was the kind of signature event an issue that we saw repeatedly on the stage. From Kamala Harris's remarks, there was abortion kind of Roe versus Wade signature sign stuff everywhere. Ryan in the convention hall, I'm sure you notice that pro choice reproductive freedom stuff that was everywhere, and you could tell that is something that they're leaning into very very hard. So one of these we have is actually a video of a young woman, Hadley Duval.
Speaker 3: So we've talked about Hadley on the show before.
Speaker 2: She very prominently featured in the advertising for Governor Andy Basheer in his twenty twenty two race, and in particular those ads led to Daniel Cameron getting defeated in the election. So Hadley actually took the DNC stage yesterday and I mean, I thought it was a pretty impactful moment. She had the crowd in tears from what we could tell Mac, can we go ahead and queue that up?
Speaker 3: Please? That is B one and yeah, here we go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why don't we all take a listen to it and then we'll react on the other side, shall.
Speaker 10: We I was raped by my stepfather after years of sexual abuse. At age twelve, I took my first pregnancy test and it was positive. That was the first time I was ever told you have options. I can't imagine not having a choice, But today that's the reality for many women and girls across the country because of Donald Trump's abortion bands. He calls it a beautiful thing. What is so beautiful about it having to carry her parents' child. There are other survivors out there who have no options.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So that was Hadlee speaking there about her experience, and Governor Andy Basheer actually came out immediately after she spoke, and he also gave remarks on abortion. I found that one pretty interesting, actually, because Basher really went hard against Donald Trump, which is, I mean, in some sense a bit difficult for him. This is a state that he governs where Trump won by what thirty points last time around, But he's actually quite popular and he went hard, almost entirely on the issue of abortion.
Speaker 3: What did you make of that?
Speaker 6: And he was a serious contender for vice president because of that. What makes Andy Basheer one of the most interesting Democrats in the country right now? Because he's able to not just sort of shrug and is similar to this, but he's able to not just sort of shrug off the cultural issues but lean into the cultural issues and lean into them very hard. Now that's not true across the board, but it's certainly true on this. What you saw on the stage if you were watching the stream is a couple of other uh one was a couple, but and then another woman who were also sharing stories of horrifying, horrifying, tragic circumstances that had been made worse. The contention is by anti abortion policies of Republicans. The couple who miscarried it was just.
Speaker 3: Oh, actually that's a that's a good point. We should go ahead and just yeah, you mention it. You should watch Matt. Can we go ahead and queue up? That is a B. They're both labeled B one.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure it's the abortion ad SOT is the one that I'm talking about. Yep, I believe that is it. Go ahead and play it for everybody.
Speaker 8: The blanket that she was the.
Speaker 6: Fifty four years they were trying to get roe V weight terminated.
Speaker 9: And I did it, and I'm proud to have done it.
Speaker 6: I was punished for three days having to wait for either my baby to die or me did I or both?
Speaker 4: I was stuck in this horrific hell of both wanting to hear her heartbeat and also hoping I wouldn't.
Speaker 7: It has to be some form of punishment for the woman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it has to be some form. I almost died because doctors were forced to follow Trump's abortion Day.
Speaker 8: Kamala will protect a woman's right to choose.
Speaker 6: We trust women to make decisions about their own honey, and not having governmental and what to do.
Speaker 3: I had so much faith in her.
Speaker 6: And when Congress passes the law to restore reproductive freedoms, as President of the and I say I will sign it into love.
Speaker 1: We have to fight for Kamala Harris, our rights, our freedoms, and frankly, our lives.
Speaker 8: Everything is on the line.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that was a big moment there from the stage. That was actually I believe happened around seven or eight pm. Strategically, again, I think these people.
Speaker 3: Know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Maybe you guys disagree, but it was very promptly placed right around when people would be tuning into the coverage checking it out, kind of seeing what was going on. And they were hit with the back to back both of that couple's ad. So I thought that abortion was probably the messaging that they pulled off the best last night, And it was both with their speakers all of the people.
Speaker 3: So they have these two individual.
Speaker 2: Speakers, that couple actually came out on the stage and spoke afterwards, including in the ad. Then they had Hadlee Duval and then Andy Basheer kind of backing her up on top of that. So you put all that together, and I would say, put Biden's speech and all that aside. I don't even think that was the most important thing out of last night.
Speaker 3: For me.
Speaker 2: It was abortion. It was very clearly they have their messaging dialed in and they know exactly which ones to turn up, which worked in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Emily.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and this is why they're making at least one of the Knights themed around freedom of the DNC because abortion is such a strong talking point for Democrats right now. So it's not even just about what we saw at the convention. Just imagine what you just saw in those ads being played around swing states from now until November. We've covered before in the show what happened in Kansas we've covered what happened in Michigan. Maybe it was significant in Alyssa Slotkin's victory. For example, when you're looking at some of these numbers and so ads that channel the pain and the emotion, the pathos that you just saw there are going to be running around these swing states.
Speaker 3: What did you think, Ryan?
Speaker 4: Everybody, almost across the board, except for maybe a five percent on the one one extreme end supports exceptions for rape incest in Life of the Mother, and those two examples hit all three of those, rape and incest in the Kentucky case, and then with Willow Life of the Mother.
Speaker 6: And Trump, by the way, supports exceptions for rape and incest. It's more like the down ballot.
Speaker 4: But if you support the exceptions, yet your policy based on these commercials that you're seeing don't seem to actually be making way for those exceptions, then your support of those exceptions isn't very confident is inducing to voters? Probably right.
Speaker 2: It's one of those where he could say it and it almost doesn't matter because you've got Republican people on down ballot who have literally tried to pass legislation. JD jd Vance has talked about it, and I mean, I think the biggest issue is Arizona. I keep thinking that it's such a consequential event because they have that abortion, they have that referendum on the ballot at the same time of twenty twenty four, and it couldn't have come, what at a worse time for the what was that eighteen sixty abortion law to come back into effect and the way that that animated Democratic voters in Arizona. I think it explains why Kamala if we look at the Sunbell right now, it's her strongest state, she's actually losing in Georgia, even you know, with her momentum, she's got five points in Arizona according to New York Times Sienna, I think abortion is a very very key part of that. Same with North Carolina. That's another place where abortion law and all of that is very iffy. You've got Mark Robinson, that candidate there. I think he effectively what didn't he admit to his wife having an abortion? I didn't I think he.
Speaker 3: Did where North Carolina? Yeah, in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: I think he was like, well, actually my wife had an abortion, so he I think then I forget exactly what his position is. But my point is that even he is like, Okay, well, we gotta we gotta try and find something a different kind of a different way of talking about this and over.
Speaker 3: I think the big takeaway.
Speaker 2: From last night for us, you know, from all of the speakers was just how key abortion is going to play into their messaging.
Speaker 4: Ryan, Yeah, and Democrats have a genuine opportunity to actually codify Roe v. Wade such that you're seeing the abortion rights groups start to get angry about it. That's right, if you've noticed. It's because codifying Roe v. Wade is considered to be a illegitimate compromise from the perspective of the left because it would allow bands up to you say, some certain amount of time. It is not a comprehensive ban on bands. Yeah, so they're upset by that, which shows that it's actually a real possibility that they might do it. But if they do codify Row, they can then legitimately run every single election on genuine fear mongering, like mongering, actual fear, not fake fear. And that Republicans will overturn Roe v. Wade in Congress if they get back into power, because they will Well.
Speaker 2: This is a good point. So Chuck Schumer actually made some news mac. I had a tweet that I sent to the chat. If we can pull that up please from Andrew Desideira.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: So Chuck Schumer actually gave a press conference this morning here in Chicago, and he talked specifically about how he wants to now revisit a filibuster carve out, this time for abortions. That's really big news to me because Chuck is talking about a carve out, saying quote, they could get it done this time because of Cinema and Mansion will be gone and they would have Gago in Arizona. This is, of course, if Democrats were to take the majority. But I mean, I thought that was a really, really big deal. We're going to take some questions from the chat from locals, from our premium subscribers. Just a reminder, everybody, we do have a one month free trial going on right now. You can use the promo code DNC free at Breakingpoints dot com. So I'm opening up the locals chat and okay, in enraged Cog says, what have been your favorite and your least favorite parts of DNC and Chicago so far besides the press badge fiasco.
Speaker 3: Emily, why don't you go first.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, Enraged Cog is an awesome follower. Thank you seriously. Yeah, longtime follower appreciated. Shout out to Enraged Cog. I will say we had great Italian beef yesterday. That was probably our.
Speaker 2: Festly parents Burger Baron. Shout out to the Burger baron here in Chicago.
Speaker 4: Dump very so good.
Speaker 2: We rolled in a m plastic like diner vibe and uh what was it?
Speaker 3: We got it dipped? Is that right? We got it dip? Yeah, the dip sandwich.
Speaker 4: That was good.
Speaker 3: Ryan. What about you? What was your favorite thing?
Speaker 4: I mean, I love being on the floor and seeing all of the like genuine joy. It's just nice to see people happy like. You don't see that very often in this country. And even though this is a very self selected group of people obviously because they're they can afford to get to the Democratic Convention and they care about Democrats like so, I don't ness necessarily have to identify with that. But you know, if it's a knitting convention and people are like going nuts over knitting, I'd love to see that too. I just love to get people into.
Speaker 3: Stuff people happy.
Speaker 6: Yes, I do.
Speaker 3: Can I tell electively happens something.
Speaker 2: My favorite part was a fan interaction with Ryan where a guy at the d n c uh just it was the kindest fan interaction I've ever seen. He just comes up to Ryan and he goes, I just want you to know that your work is such an inspiration to me and you are the reason that I am here right now. And I was like, oh man, that is h That's as.
Speaker 4: Good as My favorite was when somebody came up to Saga and said, oh, that's right, I actually like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right, that's right line, I actually like you. We also he was a kind dude.
Speaker 4: We also met a dude and this I think we have a picture to prove it because it sounds unbelievable. A guy brought from was it Hawaii?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, he was from Hawaii. That's we brought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he brought two books, The Squad and Populist guy from four years ago brought them from Hawaii hoping to run into us, and he actually did and he had a sharpie.
Speaker 3: It was honestly pretty incredible. Love shout out to that dude.
Speaker 6: Can I do a least favorite?
Speaker 3: Oh go ahead, yeah, we have to.
Speaker 6: So least favorite is that we are we have Dica, We have all these Chicago sports around us. I tried to put my Brewers out on the table yesterday, but I felt really wrong.
Speaker 3: We can't get because.
Speaker 6: We can't disrespect the kindness that's bars Chicago Chicago Podcast. This is an amazing studio. It is a little bit difficult for me to be behind all Bear's.
Speaker 3: Memorabilia, and I've just got to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I respect the French when you're on, when you're in Bear's territory. No, I mean, it's not really fair because they said you can't talk about the press credentials. But honestly, that was really stressful. Our our producer Mac literally had to actually, Mac, would you want to tell the story?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I forget.
Speaker 2: You have your own mac, you have your own microphone, put your put your camera up, come up on the screen and tell everybody what happened. Mac Mike, Yeah there is Mac Mike, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So I was basically tasked for the break Points crew. I was the liaison to go and pick up all of our passes and it, no joke, probably took me two hours when it should have taken maybe maximum like twenty minutes because every police officer, every you know, you know, security person who was there, the DNC workers themselves, everybody told me something different. I was given a full run around. I went inside the convention part, I had to go back outside of the convention part. I had to walk around this whole security perimeter and I was basically just being lied to.
Speaker 3: Right, it was crazy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, a bunch of people who didn't really know what was going on.
Speaker 4: What was going on? Yeah, So anyway, that was the least our drop site editor in OSCA I think helped. She was like, just do not ask the volunteers anything because they do not know. She said, go to the secret Service because they actually do know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well I guess you know, first time a secret service will actually be useful here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be my least favorite.
Speaker 2: The logistics have honestly been a massive pain in the ass, and we are actually going to do an entire segment about that in a little bit, So why don't we go ahead? In turn, there was some breaking news actually that happened just now that we wanted to talk about with RF Kate Junior and his campaign, So his running mate Nicole Shanahan appeared on a podcast recently and is now talking about dropping out of the race her and RFK Junior and endorsing Donald Trump. So Matt, could we queue that up please?
Speaker 3: We have the video here, guys, let's go ahead and take a listen.
Speaker 12: That tells me right now is that we just have to keep being honest. I gotta just keep being honest. I gotta keep focusing on what matters the most outside of party lines. I need to focus on a vision that goes beyond November. And if that means that we stay in and you know, there's benefits to staying and if we get over five percent of the vote, we actually establish ourselves as a party. Seventy one percent of Americans want a strong third party with a real shot at winning. There's even public funds available if we get over five percent of the vote, so we could get I think it's like thirteen and a half million dollars in public funds to keep the party going. And that's you know, that's worth something. That means that we can position for a real third party election in twenty twenty eight where we don't have to go around and spend tens of millions of dollars on ballot access, which means that we can spend all of that time and money campaigning. So you know, there's two options that we're looking at, and one is staying in forming that new party, but we run the risk of a Kamala Harris Kamala Harris and Walt's presidency because we draw votes from Trump, or we draw somehow more votes from Trump, or we walk away right now and join forces with Donald Trump, and you know, we walk away from that, and we explain to our base why we're making this decision. Not easy, clearly, Yeah, not an easy decision.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's go over that, because the most consequential part is right there at the end. There's two options that we're looking at. One is staying in forming the new party. But we run the risk of a Kamala Harris and a Waltz presidency because we draw more votes from Trump. So there is that question. There's a lot going on there. I mean, look, we haven't gotten a response yet from Bobby or anybody else, but it's pretty clear what we.
Speaker 3: Talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 4: This is a campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's literally oh actually there's a bit of news on that she got a refund. I'm gonna pull this up actually from the campaign here. There was just some news that came out this morning. Yeah, Nicole Shanahan got a nine hundred and twenty five thousand dollars amount of money that she put into the campaign actually refunded last month.
Speaker 3: I'm not exactly sure how campaign refunds work.
Speaker 4: That's good sometimes align sometimes alone. You can also do it weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, let's think about this.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard yet from Bobby or RFK Junior any response from the campaign. But regardless, I mean, when the campaign's running mate is like, we don't know what to do and there haven't been a lot of campaign events and she basically is like, we don't want Kamala Harris to win, and they would take away vote from Trump because empirically now at this point they are taking votes away from Trump. It does seem quite both logical if that's who they want align themselves with. But more importantly, I mean, what a crazy and a shocking thing to say kind of out loud if they do stay in the race as a running made. Yeah, as a running mate especially, I mean it's like, what, wait, so are you in this to help?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 3: I mean basically it's like were you in this to hurt Joe Biden?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 6: This is the kind of thing that strategists or aids will strategically leak to political playbook, right, Like, this is not the kind of thing that you're used to seeing just blurted out in full transparency on a podcast the running Mate slash Main Financier. Right, she's playing two roles there, running mate and major. I should say not Maine, but major Financier may be main, but I don't have the numbers right in front of me, So it's fascinating. The other thing that stood out to me from that I haven't seen getting a lot of attention is she says if we can get five percent of the.
Speaker 3: Vote, that it's a lot less than they used to.
Speaker 6: See that as a ceiling. The fact that she's talking about maybe getting five percent of the vote here in August twenty twenty four, when they were hitting up to seventeen percent, before they felt like they had really even gotten off the ground six months ago, we were talking about potential parole levels, and with good reason, because it looked like there was a snowball starting to roll down the hill with money, with organic support from the public a smart strategy, but the fact that right now they're only talking about perhaps a ceiling of five percent of the vote that is in and of itself from the major financier, a major financier and the running mate herself, that's huge. This could be a very different convention.
Speaker 4: Also, I questioned her investment acumen. If she's gonna put like one hundred million dollars in to earn thirteen points dollars, I don't think. Let's see, I think she floated that she that she could potentially do that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it does just I think. I mean, honestly, this is a bad look for the third party world, is the way I'm putting it, because now you're effectively taking yourself out of the independent sphere and you're saying, well, we actively hate not to both candidates the way that I mean. One of the things that Bobby always tries to do is be like, look, I don't agree with Trump, I don't like Trump, I don't want to endorse Trump. There's so many things I'm very different here. That's why that you should vote for me. I am also not like the Democrats. I've been sold out on or whatever on X.
Speaker 3: Y, and Z.
Speaker 2: But with this running mate situation, You're like, well, it would mean Kamala Harrison Waltz would win and it would draw votes away from Trump. So do we drop out and endorse him? You're like, wow, Okay, well that's actually a very different look for the third party system. And frankly, a lot of the appeal that RFK had I actually thought a huge amount of the appeal that he's had, just anecdotally from talking from people who are independent is they.
Speaker 3: Don't like Trump either. If they did, they would vote for it.
Speaker 6: It was the double haters with Trump and.
Speaker 2: Biden Bingo exactly. So whenever you kind of explicitly align yourself with Trump. And again, to be clear, Kennedy's not done this, but I mean having his running made do it is very significant. So Ryan, I wonder if this comment itself. I don't know if RFK junior voters who are already you know, I mean, they're very enthusiastic, people are going to be happy with him, you know, for his running me saying.
Speaker 4: This, no, it's yes, it's totally bizarre, right, Like Emily said, it's so weird to see it done kind of out in the open like that. And we've had this long, long running conversation about who does he hurt more, Biden or Trump. And for her to just come out and say like, actually, we are going to hurt Donald Trump if we stay in the race, and therefore we think we might need to get out is such a curveball. From the beginning when Democrats were panicked, Yeah, that Kennedy was going to be drawing.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, honestly, Republican should be the one.
Speaker 4: Didn't he did.
Speaker 3: He run initially briefly in the Yeah, Democratic primary.
Speaker 2: Basically they forced him out because he wasn't allowed basically to do anything.
Speaker 3: Biden wouldn't debate him.
Speaker 2: They effectively pretended he didn't exist, even though he was pulling at like twenty percent. Yeah, I thought it was smart that he did.
Speaker 3: The third party.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I mean, this is the thing as a part as a person who actually does care about the third party ecosystem, it is disappointing because she's correct both about the amount of money public funds and the ballot access and being able to build something around some sort of unity ticket. That's how all third parties start. They start out very very small. I mean, look at Europe, you can go from literally five percent of the vote. Look at what the Front Nationale or whatever in France, you can literally go from like five percent to like the number two party in the.
Speaker 4: Entire country parliamentary system.
Speaker 2: But yeah, sure, but here, I mean, it's all about ballot access, it's about names, and this is something that what was the ticket that Trump ran on in two thousand, what was that called?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was thought a theory of.
Speaker 2: This was the original theory of the Reform Party, which was birth from the Ross Perrot I mean victory for third party candidates, and so that was a brief moment in time where it seemed likely. So anyway, I think it's very disappointing for like the overall third party system. But generally I think it's a bad look for RFK honestly, And if you nef he does do it, it does look like you were kind of in this all along to just hurt Joe Biden, and I mean, and that's that's not what you set out to do with.
Speaker 4: What people in RFK Junior's social circle said at the time was that he because of who he and Cheryl Hines are friends with and the dinner parties that they go to et cetera. Right, They don't want to do anything to help elect Trump. They don't want Sharia Hines definitely does it, definitely doesn't want.
Speaker 2: They don't want to be the Ralph Nader of two thousand and like socially for a while.
Speaker 3: Or the Jill Stein. I mean he was killed if you'll remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so to go from there to now the vice presidential Namine is worried about hurting Trump is just a wild swing.
Speaker 6: Certainly my predictions he just drops out.
Speaker 3: It could be.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's really the because he's plummeting right. Well, he five is not a floor for him, Like, yeah, those arrows are pointed.
Speaker 6: Downward, right, And to navigate all of those different sort of scenarios, as we were just discussing, the best thing to do is just quietly drop out and say I was crushed by the DNC machine. I was crushed by the anti third party machine of American politics. I was crushed by the establishment, and maybe try to rebuild something else afterwards. But Soccer's point is so important that this candidacy was built on was built on double haters, It was built on people being upset with both Trump and Biden. It's viewers of shows like this like who just can't stand what both parties are doing and you cannot capitulate to that at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take some questions from the chat. We're gonna take what five questions?
Speaker 3: Griffin?
Speaker 4: Yeah, three to four.
Speaker 2: We'll take three to four questions, and then we actually have a guest standing by. So while we stand by and get that guest ready, Crystal actually taped a monologue and a reaction to last night that we will play for all of you. So let's go ahead and begin with questions from locals. A reminder everybody visa from our premium subscribers. You can become a premu subscriber and try one month free trial DNC free at Breaking Points dot com. First, who is that dude on the couch? That's producer Griffin. Y. How do people not know producer Griffin?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That's that.
Speaker 2: This is a man who literally when I'm from barstool, Yeah, Griffin's.
Speaker 6: Are at this mustache and the thrift store, Grandma Sweater.
Speaker 9: I bring the ghosts.
Speaker 3: He's our ghost supplier. Actually, he's the distributor. Emily, did you bring bud light line? To Chicago. No, but the drink bud light line.
Speaker 6: I think I said something recently about how bud lightline is not a bad it's not a bad beverage, it's not bad. But I did I did buy some Corona for us, But that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Do you think, oh, do you think RFK Junior is just fielding cabinet position proposals? This is from cibus one?
Speaker 3: Oh one? What do you think you think he wants?
Speaker 2: I mean, allegedly, the reporting was that he went to Trump and was like, give me hhs and I'll drop out and endorse you, and.
Speaker 3: They said no.
Speaker 6: Well, if you remember at the R and C we were supposed to interview, that's true, you would, Bobby.
Speaker 2: I don't really remember all this because I was because I was in the midst of winning planning.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: But the video leaked of uh that that conversation, and so his day got completely shot and I think that's where we started to really see the momentum halting, is that it looked like he was coosing up to Trump. But I think maybe it was more than anything. I'm curious what you guys think, but more than anything, I think it's just sort of a way to negotiate a good exit at this point. I don't think he had that in mind, but I think it's what maybe it's becoming.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Ryan, you think he's going for a cabinet position under Trump?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean more importantly, I won't Trump give it to him now.
Speaker 4: So the reporting was that the Trump campaign felt that it was too aggressive and explicit of a quid pro quo. Right, he denied that. When when we reported this originally at Counterpoints, I did not mention that RFK Junior denied it. My apologies for not mentioning that accountability here.
Speaker 3: It also doesn't sound the Senate. Yeah, good point.
Speaker 4: Well there's there's our positions. Yeah, you can take it. You could take it. Could be the vitamins are.
Speaker 3: I mean, hey, be worse.
Speaker 2: Here is a question. This is interesting. I've been tracking this little bit. Guak ain't free. Do you plan to discuss the expected massive reduction in new jobs announced tomorrow? Could this be politically impactful? So for people who don't haven't been tracking this, it's actually pretty fascinating story. I think the Bureau of Labor Statistics is scheduled to revise down some millions of jobs allegedly created by the Biden administration. Ryan, and the way it works, just everybody knows that BLS is not like A it's not like A it's not actually all that accurate. They use statistical sampling, and they use other basically efforts to estimate how many jobs, and they do frequently have to revise things down. But yeah, Ryan phillis in tell.
Speaker 4: Us what it What it means is that we'll probably get a half point Yeah, cut rate cuts. So the question for the Fed in weeks now it seems to have gone, according to Wall Street and other people watching it, not from the question of will they cut rates, but will they cut rates by the traditional quarter point or will they cut rates by half a point. The reason that they have not cut rates, despite the Biden administration and Elizabeth Warren and Bernie and everybody like hounding them to do it saying that they're going to throw people out of work, is they were looking at these BLS numbers and saying, well, look, these people are telling us that we're actually seeing this robust job growth. So therefore we need to keep the screws on the American worker. You need to tighten the screws, and we're going to keep interest rates high. So those numbers proving to be incorrect mean that their policy was wrong. Elizabeth Warren was right, they should have cut rates sooner. Jerome Pow was wrong, which means it's very likely you get a half point cut, which means Wall Street will be happy, You'll get a little stock market jump, and people will see mortgage interest rates come down, which then goose's home sales and other lending and potentially economic growth. And you will see Trump absolutely livid. How dare Jerome Palell? I'm going to put them up against the wall of I win.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 2: A lot of people in the chat want this question from you. This is Keim McQuaid question for Ryan. What do you make of AOC's positioning in the party and her future aspirations and potential?
Speaker 3: A lot of people wanted to hear it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean she has She has gone from somebody who might have gotten boot and hissed at a convention if it were held in like let's say you had a convention in early twenty nineteen, when she's like battling Pelosi and the squad is like, you know, having weekly censure resolutions for anti Semitic activity to now getting a rousing ovation from the Democratic Party. Faithful to the extent that she offers any criticisms of the party, she couches them in this very politic way of like the great example of Kamala Harris is working tirelessly towards a ceasefire because in Gaza. So she he comes, on the one hand, the only elected official to make mention Gaza, but does it in a way knowing that that will ruffle like believe it or not, that will ruffle a couple of feathers, just just the mentioning of Gaza, but does it in a way that is supportive. And anytime she would get asked about Biden she or Gaza like, she would come back with kind of supportive things and talking about how bad the second Trump term would be. She's stuck hard with hard maybe hardest with Biden out of anybody in the Democratic Party. And so she has positioned herself in a way such that party activists who very much distrusted her before are huge fans now. And you could imagine that that has positioned her in future years for constant talk of is she going to run for president?
Speaker 2: I think she's been a good Democrat. I don't just say that in terms of disparaging way. I'm like, she's a party woman. There's pluses and mi ass to that. I think as everybody knows. For people who supported her, it's not what people it's not what people thought thought. I guess it's what some people wanted, not necessarily some of her original supporters.
Speaker 4: Last question, Bert Bernie was Bernie was always a very loyal Democrat too, for his entire career. He was, but he was called an independent even though he caucused with Democrats, and he called himself a democratic socialist and he was. He was not as much of a celebrity when he came in, so he was not on cable like. People didn't actually practically ever heard of him other than as a quirk. So she's had a different path to navigate because she he didn't have to care what national Democrats cared about.
Speaker 3: Fair point.
Speaker 2: Last question is for me use her name triple three. How does Sager find a balance reporting on JD Vance when he's friends. Is it difficult to hear all of the brilliant jokes. Yeah, I mean it is. I mean I try to disclose it, right, Emily. I think I do a good job. I'm usually like, hey, everybody, just so everybody knows, I was a known guy for a long time.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I won't lie.
Speaker 4: And part of the.
Speaker 2: Reason I disclose it is that if I seem salty or something, it's probably because I am.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's weird.
Speaker 2: As some might say, to see somebody who you know on a personal level kind of become this national figure and people develop like a not only even a parasocial relationship, but like people don't know anything about them, so you can't help but see the person that you kind of know at a dinner, right, everybody at home try and empathize with this somebody that you know, like your buddy or something like that. We're not all that close, but you know somebody who you know, and then they become like a national flashpoint.
Speaker 3: That's it's an odd sensation.
Speaker 2: So I do always try and couch my criticism or even my analysis in all that, because I think it would be genuinely impossible for me to be objective on the subject, like I want the Republican Party to go in a certain direction. I think he probably best exemplifies that I was very enthusiastic about him becoming the vice president. I won't lie, you know, seeing some of the attacks and the negativity and all that, it does make me question sometimes the political, you know, viability of this entire project.
Speaker 3: I'm like, can this shit even work?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, does it?
Speaker 2: What does America even want? I honestly don't know. So what's it been like for you?
Speaker 3: Because you know, you don't know? I guess as well, not as well as tangentially you do.
Speaker 2: So like, what what do you think from an outsider perspective, like people, me, my social group and all that, how we've been handling this because I think there and look speaking for them, there's been a lot of cope.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, there's been cope.
Speaker 6: It was really funny at your wedding, by the way, because it.
Speaker 3: Had Yeah, yeah, that's true. That had just happened.
Speaker 6: It just happened.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It's interesting because also this a lot of these conversations have been hashed out in public and podcasting spaces, and that's been one of the things that has hurt JD. I did a whole segment a couple of weeks ago on this project twenty twenty five hit against JD on a video that I had filmed. Yeah, that year's back, and it's just like he was saying exactly what he believed because he you know, he was thinking about running for Senate at the time. But just one of those things where it's just one of those things where I think one of the cool things about what we do, all of us, is that you don't get from legacy media people being honest about this stuff. Right, they just have those relationships and don't ever talk about bait.
Speaker 3: They have these behind the scenes and they won't even tell you. Yeah, I'm telling you.
Speaker 6: Who was what the Supreme Court and Ruth Bader get.
Speaker 3: With Ruth Bader.
Speaker 6: Ginsburg for you.
Speaker 4: So I think this situation is actually the hardest for me because like when when you say, for instance, that you want to you think about how you couch your language. I want to tell a couch joke, but I can, oh, you can tell you because I'm like, oh, that's Sager's body. I can't do that.
Speaker 3: It's falls to the wall.
Speaker 2: I do. I have a deep respect for the left's ability to mean, and I did not that I would ever say those were I actually think the left.
Speaker 3: Was very bad at memes at a time like that.
Speaker 2: They're doing a good job these days. And yeah, shout out to Anne Johnson. Uh So, one of my friends has a theory on this, and I'll flow is quite controversial theory.
Speaker 3: His theory is that.
Speaker 2: Because a lot of the online right wingers are upset with Trump over Israel and all this other stuff, that they're not bringing their best They're not like bringing their best memurs against Kama. And when he said that, I was like, no, there's something to it.
Speaker 3: I think he's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about people. People are out there sitting making me and shit posting all day. You're freacking loser, all right, Like, let's be honest.
Speaker 6: You're talking about like Groper's.
Speaker 3: It's not just Groper's.
Speaker 4: It's like a million memers. You're gonna get a good meme out of that. And I'm just saying, look, look what Trump has to deal with, like online Ai Taylor Swift stuff.
Speaker 3: He's got no good guest. Young online guys are not meaning the way they weren't twenty.
Speaker 6: Sixteen because of our the Donald.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was are the Donald, Like there was some series like the meme disparity at that time was immense, so then watching the couch thing like explode, I was just like wow, I mean, what can I say, you know, like respect, Like it's not even real, but let's be real, Like this genuinely enter the zeitgeist to the point where fucking Vice residential candidate Tim Walls like makes a joke about it on stage and everyone in the audience knew what he was talking about. Like, you can't, you can't just at least admire that they were able to culturally make that into a thing. And I do think for all the talk of mainstream media and you know, the right has a lot of dissonant power on the Internet and all of that, my main lesson is like when the left wants to kill somebody, like they just can't and they can do it overnight, you know if they.
Speaker 6: Well, because the media gives them a huge shot in the arm, there's no question about it. And then on top of it, the weird attack. You have to have to have to give a shout out to Dems for making that stick. It's so smart, it's so smart. It's not that they don't have any of their own weirdness going on, because I actually think they have plenty of it. But but you know, if you can make that stick politically, strategically, respect because it's it can take people down pretty easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like, no, you're weird because you want trance whatever, and yeah, but then they'll be like, you're the weirdo, You're the one bringing trans In this convo, he's kind of one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why are you talking about Tampa? Why are you talking about that? You're the weirdo. You just brought up me, But you did it.
Speaker 4: And and but like you just brought up Tampa.
Speaker 2: But my point is that we're I even openly admit this. It's weird to bring it up because who is even obsessing about this online? But it's like, but you're the ones who made it into the thing. And nature of the defensive nature of much of right wing politics, by definition, uh is can be. It can be a strength whenever the left is overwhelmingly pushing a message like BLM and it's very unpopular. But in this case, I think it's very difficult for the right because what they've decided to do is to meme past Trump and just say he's irrelevant.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: There he goes again.
Speaker 2: I roll And I think the I roll may be the most brilliant thing that they have done yet. Well, because they're not reacting to him, they're just pretending he doesn't exists I do, which denies him a lot of power.
Speaker 6: I have a very quick point on that, which is Walls in the weird attack that he is leveled every time he talks about books in schools. And it's a reminder that you know, according to pen America, the number one most targeted book from these so called book bands is gender Queer, and conservatives will take a page out of the book of Gender Queer literally with these illustrations of oral sex that are intended for teenage.
Speaker 3: They're sick, they are, and then put them.
Speaker 6: Up on the screen and it's like, Okay, well bro, that's kind of weird too, Like why are you tweeting?
Speaker 3: It's like, what, you know, you have.
Speaker 6: To have the conversation, you have to do it, yes.
Speaker 4: And yeah, go ahead. One other point, because Sager and I were talking about this this morning. In twenty sixteen, Hugh Post put Trump in the entertainment section. Thought it was a poorly executed move, but the insight behind it was interesting, which was Democrats are approaching Trump wrong. Like they're they're saying they're putting the six year olds on TV saying like this is so horrible that like, look at these things he's saying. He's so mean, He's like he's scary, he's going to a dictator. And our argument was, no, the guy's a clown and you need to laugh at him, and he cannot handle being laughed at. And I do think that that insight is being proven correct by the way that the eye roll and the weird attack is actually landing on him. So I think I think we were right on the substance. We just didn't pull it off.
Speaker 3: There you go. Okay, that's been a lot of questions. We will take more throughout the stream. Don't worry. So why don't we go?
Speaker 13: And as a reminder, you can sign up at breakingpoints dot com see free if you'd like to ask questions. We're reading all the chats, but we're only answering questions from the locals exclusive chat. Thank you all for supporting Breaking Back.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you how nice it is that I didn't have to do that is to do it. So I was like, oh, I got to sit back, I got to take a sip of this ghost energy drink and I was like, what a beautiful moment. All right, let's go ahead and cue this up. Crystal very kindly filmed a reaction for all of us, So let's go ahead and queue it up, and we're going to take a listen. I haven't been we haven't heard from her yet. She will be here tomorrow. Don't worry.
Speaker 3: We've been text and while we yeah.
Speaker 2: Of course we've been texting. We went she'd been very active on the group chat. Don't worry, she's not gone. Let's go ahead and listen to Crystal. And while that happens, just if people hear anything in the background, we are going to be setting up a guest live here in the studio.
Speaker 3: Mac take it away.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Crystal here. I've been holding down the fort back home, but excited to hop on a plane to get to Chicago tomorrow and join the rest of the crew. Have been doing a fantastic job reporting live from the scene there at the DNC. Wanted to take just a couple of minutes though, to give you my reactions, kind of top line thoughts about the DNC from day one. I think the intention was to make this a day where they could kind of bury the past as embodied by Hillary Clinton and of course, most specifically Joe Biden. There was some awkwardness involved here because the speeches and everything was very I guess poorly organized, went way too long. The DNC planners are saying, oh, it was because the applause was so raucous that we didn't even get to Joe Biden until eleven thirty at night. I'm not sure that it's a really bad thing from their perspective, because mostly Joe Biden just served as a reminder of why people were so relieved that he's off the ticket. But I'll get to all of that. I thought i'd just go through kind of the good, the bad, and the extremely cringe Hillary fight song looking at you with that one, and talk through what I thought were some of the best moments. And there were some good moments and some of the what I would consider just absolutely morally unconscionable moments. I wouldn't surprise you what topic that is on, but I'll start with the positive most of the night up until really you got to Hillary Clinton. I thought Democrats displayed a much sharper and more effective way of attacking Donald Trump. And of contrasting their own agenda with the Republican Trumpian agenda. Frankly, it was a lot of class war.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: They really highlighted a lot of different union leaders. The apex of that was Sean Fain, who's the new president of the UAW, who gave a barn burner of the speech. He's a fantastically talented speaker and leader. He's the one who really helped to secure incredible gains for auto workers in America using his strike strategy. And he was wearing a shirt that said Donald Trump is a scab, and he led the whole room in a chant of Trumps a scab. Which having been at the DNC back in twenty sixteen when it was Hillary Clinton, I cannot tell you how different a politics that is versus what was doing, what we were doing back then, you know, the identity politics, the trailblazing, the moralizing, etc. So huge distinction from the Hillary Clinton approach to Donald Trump, which was very much demonstrated later when Hillary Clinton herself spoke, and also a big distinction from how Joe Biden approached the you know, going after Donald Trump, where it was much more sanctum, ammonious but also much more sort of gloves on, like unwilling to really throw a hard punch. This was much more unvarnished, gloves off partisan in sort of a positive connotation in the word.
Speaker 6: You know, it was not.
Speaker 1: Afraid of a divisive politics, and I'm not afraid of a divisive politics when it comes to divisions along the correct lines. And for part of the night they did that, you know, very class focused with Sean Fain with a bunch of labor leaders. AOC speech hit some of those themes as well. Others did too. You also brought in some of sort of the best of the resistance lib attacks on Trump. It may be cringed to a lot of people, but I do think like the comp versus the criminal stuff is very effective. They had a video that was very effective in that regard. I thought Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett, who is very talented and very charismatic individual, I thought she did a good job of sort of landing those blows as well. And you had some interesting to me, you know, as like a wonk and someone who really cares about this policy stuff. You had a really interesting moment from of all people, Commerce Secretary Gina Raymondo, who you may not have any clue who she is, but she is the former governor of Rhode Island and a former venture capitalist and is from the decidedly planted in the corporate wing of the Democratic Party, in the pro Wall Street wing of the Democratic Party. And she came out and was singing from the hymnal of Lena Khan and talking up the anti monopoly efforts of this administration. And why is that exciting to me? Because that's an indication that that battle is deaf is basically one like all the you know, reied Hoffman and everybody else, all these other billionaires who were coming out trying to pressure Kamala Harris to fire Lena Khan, to stop the direction that the Biden administration was going on in one of the better things that they've done in terms of anti trust and taking on corporate power, et cetera. Not going to happen. That fight If you have Gina Raymondo talking about anti trust actions at her DNC speech, that battle is over. That fight as one. So that was very heartening to see. On a separate note, there were a number of women who came forward and gave really personal testimony about the way the ending of Roe versus Weide had been personally devastating to them, including a young woman from Kentucky who had been raped by her stepfather and she had been the subject of an incredibly powerful ad on behalf of Andy Basheer, and he was running for governor reelection in Kentucky and he ends up winning that race even in Kentucky by five percentage boyds. Andy Bisheer also spoke, I thought that was really powerful. I thought hearing from them directly, these real people, real families, real stories, I thought that landed. Obviously, that's an issue that is going to be really important to Democrats. And Andy Basheer went on to kind of emphasize some of those points. So in any case, when they were doing you know, the more class war framing Trump as an out of touch, fraudster, billionaire criminal, I thought that all from just a partisan political perspective, I think it worked well. I also think it's more in line with the you know, the type of politics I would like to see that is focused on economics and working class economics, working class power, the heavy intentional presence of labor, and the excitement around that. Again huge contrast with back in twenty sixteen, when those sorts of issues were really being sidelined. So that's the good. The cringe was very obviously Hillary Clinton Kathy Hokel, also governor of New York. Terrible speech, terrible speaker. It's incredible that such an untalented person is governor of such an important state. Put that one to the side. The Hillary Clinton speech was everything you would expect. It was highly narcissistic. She did get a raucous applause in the room.
Speaker 3: They love her.
Speaker 6: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: This is the person who is most approximately responsible for putting Donald Trump in the White House, but she has successfully rehabbed herself with the Democratic Party faithful. Not so much with the rest of the country. But you know, she went through it was very twenty sixteen. It was very like, you know, here's the glass ceiling that I wasn't quite able to shatter, and here's Kamala Harris historic identity, et cetera, et cetera. And I think in general, the Harris Walls campaign has been very intelligent and very effective in letting her trail blazing status speak for itself, like we can all see that you're a biracial woman, it's not a surprise. So then when she finishes her speech and they play her off to fight song, which just hearing it at all is extremely triggering for me. After through that whole experience, it you know, really encapsulated just how failed her politics are, how cringy her politics are. There was a moment there too that caught people's attention where the crowds started cheering lock him up while Hillary speaking. That was probably the highlight of Hillary speech, to be honest with you, she looked very pleased during all of that, but you know, fair enough, fair enough, since she had that chanted to her the whole time she was running for office. Interestingly commel in particular, I think Tim Walls too. When people have been chanting that at their rallies, they've tried to tamp it down and say, no, no, no, we're going to beat him electorally. Let the judicial system handle that. Hillary had no such qualms about letting the cheers ring out, and again suppose that's her prerogative given what they put through her through on the bad It's very difficult to talk about this convention, this party, this ticket, this current president without the giant elephant in the room, which is that all of these people are enabling horrifying atrocities that are occurring on a daily basis in the Gaza Strip against the Palestinian people. They continue to ship weapons.
Speaker 3: You know, as we.
Speaker 1: Speak, there are these supposed ceasefire talks that once again the administration is complet completely running cover for BB NETANYAHUO saying oh, well, Israel accepted the ceasefire terms and now it's just Hamas that's standing in the way. In reality, what Netanyaho put forward and accepted isn't even a ceasefire. The qualm that the biggest colm that Hamas has with this proposal is that it's literally not a ceasefire. And of course they've completely moved the goalpost. Hamas did agree to the deal that Israel had supposedly also accepted back several months ago, and they just keep adding conditions until they get to the point where, of course Hamas is not going to accept a ceasefire that is not actually a ceasefire. So you know, that's the context that hangs over all of this. You had quite large protests yesterday. I don't think they were as large as the organizers hope they would be. But they were still significant. You actually had protesters who jumped up during Biden's speech, and kudos to Ryan, he was all over this. He's one of the only reporters you know, got a heads up about the about this was able to you know, able to record this as it all went down, and the response from the crowd was was horrifying.
Speaker 3: Honestly.
Speaker 1: One person was hitting one of the Muslim women who was holding up this banner with a sign that said I Love Joe of all things, hitting her in the head with that, and obviously, you know, crowd was doing their best to cover up the sign with their I Love Joe signs that they were holding.
Speaker 3: So there was that.
Speaker 1: One of the most outrageous moments to me was when AOC is speaking, and this is someone who has under pressure called Israel's assault on Gaza accurately a genocide, and then she gets up there, you know, in front of an adoring crowd, shows her complete transition into being a mainstream Democratic party figure. She gets up in front of this adoring crowd and swears that Kamala Harris is working night and day for a ceasefire. There's no evidence that that that's just not true. And so you know, it's one thing to say, as I think many people feel, okay, well, Trump would be worse. And there are things about the Biden hair, you know, Biden Harris administration that I appreciate. On the domestic front, there are these concerns about democracy, abortion right, whatever it is. And when I weigh it all in the balance, even though I am utterly horrified by the atrocities that are happening here, we have to still get behind this ticket. It's another thing to just lie given the current context, and if Kamala Harris differs from Joe Biden on Gaza, she needs to come out and say it. So far, all we've gotten is, you know, a little bit of tone shift. We've gotten a positive indicator and picking Tim Walls over Josh Shapiro. Whether it was for that reason or not, we don't really know. We've gotten more engagement. And I'm someone who is actually hopeful that because she's not an id law in the way that Joe Biden would be. I'm not expecting her to turn into Rashida to leave, but I do think that she would be more subtic to pressure. And I think any like normal Democrat who was just weighing the political benefit and political cost of this strategy, putting the morality aside, would have abandoned or never taken the bb ninya who bear hug strategy in the first place. But I have come to think that this idea that because she's in the administration, she can't really break with Biden. I think this is nonsense. I think this is an excuse. I think it's cope. So if there is a change in strategy approach, if there is distance, she needs to come out and say that. So anyway, that was from AOC and as someone who you know, she's supposed to be this beacon of progressivism and have this base among progressives, just just covering up for them when you've you have accurately called it a genocide. I don't I think that's inexcusable. At the same time, Joe Biden, you know, is interesting speaking of tone shit, in his speech, he kind of said some of the right things in terms of, you know, we need to cease fire, we want peace, putting an emphasis that he normally doesn't on Gaza civilian life. But again it rings so hollow when you consider you just ship more weapons and you are right now running cover for these atrocities that continue to kill, sicken, wound, displace Palestinians. I can play for you what he said, and then I'll react a little more on the other side. Let me go ahead and pull this up.
Speaker 7: I wrote a peace treaty for Gaza a few days ago. I put forward a proposals that brought us closer to doing that than we've done. In October seventh, we're working around the clock. My Secretary of State for Vanna wider Wore and re nine hostages to their families and serge humanitarian health and food assistants into Gaza. Now then the civilian suffering of the polace any people, and fine, finally finally deliver a cease firing and this war.
Speaker 1: So you know, he's saying some of the right things given that, and I'm sure you know they're looking at the polling and this is very clearly where the Democratic Party basis has been for a long time. A majority of Biden voters view this as a genocide. But the actions still fall I mean not even fall short. They're the polar opposite of what you would want to see. Why at this late date are you still running cover for BB Nott and Yahoo and buying into his line that always offered some great deal for a ceasefire when it's literally not even a ceasefire. And more to the point, it's this continued feigned impotence, like, gosh, g golly, I really wish I could get that ceasefire. You are the American president this country, and this evil leader of that country is wholly dependent on you and your actions and your arms, and you won't. You may like hope and wish that he would just come to his own decision to you know, institute a real and lasting ceasefire in a two state solution way. That is not reality. If you want to cease fire, go get a ceasefire. So you know, those were to me the most horrible moments. I mean, I think that sort of goes without saying in terms of the context of the gravity of the situation, and it really is head spending trying to cover this in a way that makes sense, because you're, like, you know, other than the atrocities that they're enabling, committing great job of the DNC, Like, how do you how do you talk about this in a way that is moral, ethical, pragmatic, reasonable, et cetera. But you know, I guess the last thing I'll say is to tie up the sort of meta political point here by and as I mentioned, pushed waylaid in the night doesn't start till eleven thirty, etc. And I guarantee you there was not one person in that room or in the country at large who listened to Joe Biden's speech, which was for Joe Biden. Fine, had some iffy moments, had a little bit of like, you know, verbal celuring it or whatever, but judging by the Joe Biden bar below the floor standard, fine, there was not one person who would look at that and go, gosh, I wish that guy was there, nominan wish we still were running with that guy. It was as Hillary's speech was a reminder of why everyone should be glad in the Democratic Party that they've moved past Hillary Clinton politics. Certainly, Joe Biden's speech was a very clear reminder of why they are so relieved and why they are so enthusiastic to have Kamala Harris and Tim Walls instead of Joe Biden and leading the ticket. So in any case, team there in Chicaga is doing fantastic job breaking everything down. Reporting from the scene and grabbing interesting video from the people that are there. And as I said, I'm really excited to be there with them tomorrow so I can join the whole crew and continue to react to whatever the Democrats have in store for us.
Speaker 3: See you guys soon.
Speaker 2: Excellent, Thank you Crystal. That was a very good video, and we're very excited to be joined by her tomorrow. She'll be here live in the studio. But we've got a great guest to materialize out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: Ryan want she was, she was behind here and I want to made this happen. So lexis Dada and is one of the founders is that right or leader a leader of the uncommitted.
Speaker 14: Yeah, one of the founders from Michigan and now the co chair of the National Movement.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're you're in town, wheeling and dealing, trying to pressure Democrats UH to get toward a ceasefire or or beyond and arms, arms and bargo. Interestingly, there may be some confusion out there. You guys are not actually organizing any of the street demonstrations. No, So first of all, like why not, like because I think people watching are like seeing the street protests and be like Oh cool that those are the uncommitted folks that have brought people in the street. But it's not exactly right. So what's the relationship there.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I think listen, pressure happens in all ways, and I think pressure is needed in all ways, whether it's in the streets or inside the DNC, and for uncommitted particularly. We actually were really strategic to create a mass rally across the country ahead of the Democratic National Convention, where we launched a campaign called the Not Another Bomb Campaign where folks all over the country and over thirty five states and every single major battleground stay inclusive of Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia that went to the streets between August sixteenth and August eighteenth and ultimately demanded not another Bomb, that no more of our tax dollars fund anymore of the bombs that are dropping on Palestinians, that we want the genocide to end. And we did that strategically ahead of the convention to then dovetail where our uncommitted delegates are going into the convention on the convention floor with the same exact messaging of no more money for genocide, that we don't want to fund any more bombs.
Speaker 8: And what we did, what we've been.
Speaker 14: Able to do with these efforts is actually recruit ceasefire delegates, so folks that are actually here to endorse VP Harris and support the Harris Waltz campaign, but also stand in solidarity with our movements that are saying we don't want any more of our tax dollars funding genocide. We actually have over two hundred and ten ceasefire delegates that have signed onto our Ceasefire Delegate petition letter demanding VP Harris pledge it enacted arms embargo, and so it was really just a strategic move we made to take the energy and the capacity and the resources we had to organize folks ahead of the DNC, but also to organize delegates inside the DETA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what can you explain that to us? So, Ryan and I were in the convention hall, we saw a lot of delegates walking around with T shirts that said cease fire delegate.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: So are we advancing are trying to advance at DNC legislation or sorry, a DNC platform, try to force a vote of some kind or is it just about I guess sending a message while in the convention.
Speaker 8: Yeah, great question. We definitely have DNC demands.
Speaker 14: We had uncommitted, had DNC demands going into the Convention of asking for one doctor Tanya he Hessen, who's a piatric intensive care doctor that has been serving in Graza for years actually performing surgery on men, women and children who have suffered from US funded Israeli bombs, and we're asking for her to be able to speak from the convention floor. We have also asked for a Palestinian American leader to speak from the convention floor as well, to be able to raise the voice around Palestinian human rights and how the Democratic Party orients towards discussing Palaestinian self determination. We additionally asked for some sort of panel as it relates to discussing palaestin and human rights within the Democratic Party, which we were able to land. It was a historic thing that was given and happened actually yesterday and it was one of the they had quoted it as one of the most highly attended events on the Convention or within the Convention yesterday as well. And so those were really our demands coming into the Convention and then in addition to those demands, just really uplifting this idea that we want, you know, VP Harris to listen to her base of anti war voters, inclusive of people that are there to endorse her, because we are looking at an election in November where we have a very racist, fascist leader at on the Republican side that nobody wants to see elected. And what we're trying to do is we're trying to get VP Harris, the Harris Waltz campaign to see and understand that majority of Democrats want a ceasefire, they want in arms embargo, and we're hoping at the public pressure that we were able to portray both outside the convention with our national Weekend of Action and inside the convention and get sort of move on this policy change.
Speaker 2: Let's yeah, let's stick with that a little bit though, because if you're already there to endorse Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, then why should they listen to you? Not new per se, but you know, the uncommitted movement now that you're in the convention hall, and especially if you're not, you know, endorsing some of the protest action and other things, So like why should those who are in power, as we saw with the DNC platform, why should they take this seriously if there's not a real threat to withhold a vote.
Speaker 14: I mean, it's all about building movement power. When you look at history, movement work is exactly what leads to policy change. And there's a reality with the Uncommitted movement that it's not a monolithic movement. There are people who are fully supportive and believe in the Democratic Party and want to see VP Harris win. There are folks that have given up on the Democratic Party but they want to see a ceasefire in an arms embargo. And there's folks that in majority of folks who are waiting for VP Harris to make a move to be able to go to the boat the ballot box in November and vote for her. And so folks that are ceasefire delegates that are there to endorse VP Hears, they understand how important this movement is come November. They understand the seven hundred and thirty thousand voters that voted uncommitted. Every vote matters towards the selection. And they're there because yes, they support VP Haars, but they also support Palestinian Solidarity or Palaestinian human rights and self determination and they want to be able to work in unison with uncommitted in our uncommitted delegates to really lift up that ask well.
Speaker 6: And I have a question on that point, because you know, I'm used to talking to yesterday in Union Park, when you're talking to sort of the activist class of genuine leftists. You know, there were code pink folks there. I was asking them, you know, is there anything are you uncommitted? Are you voting for Kamala Harris? And most people said they were uncommitted, but they would genuinely vote for Kamala Harris if there's a ceasefire negotiation that is acceptable to them. And I'm just not used to hearing that. And I think, you know, from cold pink types, genuine leftist activist types, usually it'd be like, hell, no, I'm not voting for the Democrat. This is a different crowd. There are people from a lot of different walks of life that are getting involved in this movement. I think that speaks to I'm curious to your sense you're from Michigan. In some of these states, there was a group of swing voters that might be small compared to you know, the suburban women demographic that everybody talks about. But in a very close race. When you're looking at Jill Stein margins potentially making a difference, this is huge. Do Democrats sense that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I mean when you're looking at the polls obviously, when Biden was the Democratic nominee, polls between Trump and Biden, we're pretty large gap. And when you're looking at the polls now, it's a very narrow gap between VP Harris and Donald Trump. When you look at history in Michigan, Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen by ten thousand votes and it's a very minor margin of victory. And so when we say that every vote matters, we mean every vote matters. And I think we're in a very high stakes, tough political landscape. You have the Democratic Party right now who's literally directly funding genocide, who there are US funded bombs that are dropping. You know, we listen to doctors speak this morning about what they've witnessed in Rezza and a doctor who literally spoke about a moment where a woman was in the hospital and said that when she looked at the missile that was dropped on their I think it was a school or wherever they were, it was a US made missile that dropped on Palestinians, and so you're hearing and seeing all these things are that our Democratic Party is doing. But on the flip side, you have a very racist, fascist leader and people don't know what to do, and so you're hearing a lot of the conversations of we want to go to the polls and vote for VP Harris. But it's really it's a moral it's a moral conscious thing. People can't find themselves or they can't have the ability to go to the polls and vote for people who are aiding and a betting in genocide. And they also don't want to vote for Donald Trump. And so I think this movement has become such a diverse, multi generational, multi faith, multi ethnic movement because people know how important it is to value human life and they believe in the values of the Democratic Party. But the reality is our Democratic Party is not making decisions aligned with those values, and the people are trying to do that.
Speaker 4: And so you mentioned the list of demands that you guys have, and to the Family's point, there are some who are definitely open if she moves that they're willing to vote for Harris. But there's also been this interesting overlap that I've almost never seen before among kind of far left folks who are at some of these protests and kind of democratic operatives who are both saying the same things. The far left activists are saying the uncommitted delegates they're not going to get anything and they're going to capitulate at the end and support Vice President Harris, and the high level operatives are saying, we're not going to give the uncommitted delegates anything and they're going to come home eventually anyway. So are they right? Like? There is that a fair criticism and to that list of demands, are you making progress on any of them? Like do you think she'll be able to speak? Is there anything else that you think you'll be able to do extract? Or is it more an atmospheric changing of the tone?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, listen, I think you know part of this work that you're doing is you're working under policies that you're like their policies. You know they aren't accepting right arms and bargo. We know VPRs doesn't support that. Right now, all the things that we're fighting against, we know that the Democratic Party doesn't necessarily align with those things, and that's the purpose of movement work. You know, folks say that we might not get anything, but when you look at the history of what's happened over the last six seven months, people might call it breadcrumbs, people might call it progress towards the full loaf of bread. And I think what we've seen is one we've been able to influence the conversation around a ceasefire, originally where VP Harris and President Biden we're never.
Speaker 8: Discussing even discussing a ceasefire.
Speaker 14: And then two in this most recent conversation, after launching the not Another Bomb campaign, two of our leaders leilan a best meeting quickly with VP Harris and demanding or asking for a meeting to discuss an arms embargo, where now you're seeing the headlines talk about an arms embargo. To this third option or idea of having this historic panel, of being able to discuss and talk about Palestine and human rights, I think, you know, all these things are progress. And we've made ourselves very clear that we are ready to mobilize and endorse VP Harris as long as there's a conversation in relation as it relates to an arms embargo, whether it's discussing how we are currently violating you know, we're not following international law when it comes to war crimes and having the discussion of being able to behold and uphold Lahy law to the actual conversation about an arms andmbargo, and I think that's the that's the clear demand on the table, and that's what we have to work towards.
Speaker 8: And that's exactly what we have to focus on.
Speaker 2: So if there is so you're saying, just a conversation, but what if there is no arms in Barbo? I mean, if you see, if you get the meeting. Politicians are great at this, all of us cover politics for a living. They're very good at taking meetings and having rhetoric. But one of the things I've heard most from the Uncommitted Movement, from Crystal, from many other folks is that we need to actually see action. So, I mean, what is the movement and you personally going to do if you do feel like you're just being bought off with rhetoric, Like at the end of the day, it comes down to a vote and to action.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do? What is the movement going to do?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I think one of the things that I've had to drive home to folks, is in movement work you pivot with with reactions. And right now, the only thing we know and that we can be accountable to and that I could stay with my entire chest, is that we are working tirelessly around the clock to be able to engage with VP Harris and her team because we know what's at stake come November. But we also know more importantly what's at stake right now, which is saving Palestinian lives. And so for us, it's literally taking all of our energy to try to engage as much as possible across the landscape with our base of anti war voters, but also navigate the political the political part of this, which is a very tough thing to navigate when you talk about the rhetoric and you want to see that change.
Speaker 8: What we've said and what we will continue to.
Speaker 14: Say, is we can't go back to our base and say, oh, we think VP Harris will be better on Razza policy. What we're saying is you need to turn the page on Krasa policy to save lives and to save our party.
Speaker 4: Got it, last question, Ryan, Uh, what kind of pressure have you have you or any other uncommitted leaders gotten from the Democratic Party, and because some of the uncommitted folks are party operatives, like they do their work is working within the party. Has there been has there been any direct pressure put on leaders say like get in line or here else?
Speaker 14: I mean, what I will say is, you know, in that quick momil of interaction between VP Harris and even our two of our leaders from their their mouth directly that she was very genuine. Her reaction was very genuine, very empathetic. You heard President Biden on stage last night talk about why the protesters are doing what they're doing, their hurts, that's them publicly.
Speaker 4: But then but then there are hatching, there are hatchetmen. Are there any hatchetmen? Who?
Speaker 3: I mean, nobody's any bag.
Speaker 14: Nobody has come to us and pressured us to do anything different than what we've been doing. They understand the trauma, the grief, the things that we're all carrying, and they're understanding that we're a movement that's trying to make moves and make demands of the party to save it. And it's really been a lot of conversation back and forth of this is what we're coming forward, this is what we want, this is what we need, and really engaging in thoughtful conversation on both sides to be able to get what we can again ahead of November.
Speaker 8: But the reality for us.
Speaker 14: Is we don't want to wait till January to save Palestinian lives. So we're trying to do what we can to influence the Biden Harris administration, but also understand the electoral imperative we have of raising this notion that VP Harris you have to turn the page on the Kraza policy to be able to win voters over in November.
Speaker 4: Ye, and last thing, you guys were not involved in the disruption last night. Those were other those other delegates.
Speaker 8: It's not our delegate.
Speaker 4: Anything interesting coming from uncmmitted delegates or are you guys going to be well behaved on the floor?
Speaker 14: What's the Yeah, well behaved is the great way to put it. I guess if you will, I think again strategy. Our goal isn't to you know, I think people approach their sense of protests differently, and our goal in being at the DNC convention is to showcase our delegates in a way. We're here to uplift Palestinian human rights and to actually work with the DNC to try to get a Palestinian American leader speak as well as doctor Tanya Hudgehassen. And that's what our delegates are doing. They're going to the elected officials on the floor. They're talking about this issue. They're engaging other delegates to be able to get them to sign the Ceasefire Delegate letter and also to get the petition that we have out there to get Tanya Hudgehssion to speak as well.
Speaker 6: Are you worried about things getting out of control at all? I mean, as potential tensions build throughout the week, everything seems like it's been very orderly and well managed so far.
Speaker 14: I mean, what I will say a positive note is somebody came up to one of our uncommitted delegates and ask them to sign on to a ceasefire Delegate letter. And it was actually a Harris delegate who asked our delegate to sign on.
Speaker 8: And what you're seeing.
Speaker 14: Is actual Harris delegates that are organizing because, I mean, what we're asking for is nothing crazy.
Speaker 8: We're asking for to do the morally right.
Speaker 14: Thing, to stop sending bombs, to save lives for people who are just as real all of us, and people believe that that the democratic you know base believes that, and what we're trying to do is get the Democratic leaders to move with their base and see majority of people want to see fire, majority of people want arms and bargo, and we need to enact it now.
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for joining us. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was fun to be able to talk to actually somebody something you talk about, like Uncommitted Movement. Yeah, why don't tell people, Well, tell people where they can find you, follow you, et cetera.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean we're on Instagram at Uncommitted m v m T. You could search our most recent petitions at not Another bomb dot com and keep up, you know, keep up to date with all those things via our social media.
Speaker 3: Cool. All right, well, thank you so much for joining us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We're let's get some questions in here from the from the premium subscribers. Uh, a question for Ryan, do you have a good weed guy out there?
Speaker 3: My gosh, so.
Speaker 2: Immediately pivoting to the uh, immediately pivoting to the important things.
Speaker 3: Is it legal here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Actually, because I am gonna smack it out of your hand.
Speaker 4: My big my wee guy is big JB. Pritzker, Big JB.
Speaker 2: Pritz Here the state. The state is the one who is giving you your weed. Okay, all right, here, let's continue here. What do we have.
Speaker 3: Any questions about about what we just heard? Guys?
Speaker 2: What do you guys think from our premius subscribers, like, any questions about that movement uncommitted some of their times? Why don't I ask a question Ryan as a proxy? I mean, I'm hearing a lot of very politician y language now that she's stepped out. You know, I don't want to be unkind but like to her face or whatever, but everything I'm hearing is like, well, we want to have a panel about human rights. I'm like, who get First of all, like it's a fucking panel, okay, And the second if you don't get it, like it's pretty much they were like, well, they're still going to support Kamala Harris. So, I mean, there's not a lot of teeth behind this.
Speaker 4: The point, the point that she made earlier is very important, where she said, you know, Amala Harris is not going to endorse in arms of bargo, Like she doesn't support it. She's not going to support it, right, that's a fact. Yeah, they're putting pressure on it, and so then when you come back and say, well it's not going to work, it's like yeah, like they also know it's not going to work. So then, like she said, it becomes this moral question that people are going to decide differently. Okay, well we tried, we put some pressure. We maybe got a fig leaf. Do I then stay out.
Speaker 3: Of the election and not vote for Harris and let Trump win?
Speaker 4: Or so yeah, it's you know, and some of the uncommitted organizers talked about it as a way when they would pitch it to Democratic Party officials who were telling them, you're destroying the Democratic Party. How dare you do this? They say, no, we're actually saving the party because all of these people who are voting uncommitted, they weren't even going to show up at all in the primary. You get them to show up in the primary, you then talk to them in a way that is sympathetic. Then they will vote for you in November. So we're actually doing your work for you. If they do that and don't get any policy gains on the ground, and people's bodies just keep getting ripped to shred on a daily basis, then you can be like all right, Well, and what was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right, Maybe one or two more questions here. This one's for you Ryan. Do you any of you act?
Speaker 3: I guess technically for all of us. Well, I'll throw it to Ryan.
Speaker 2: Do you actually believe Kamala will do anything about Gaza? My answer is no, I don't think there will be any meaningful difference between her and Joe Biden on Gaza.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean so I said yesterday that you know that for the first time, you know, pretty much everybody has an incentive to make a deal, and by everybody I meant kind of Israel more broadly, because it would be able to then stave off the attack from Iran, and it would be able to quiet the North, which is causing enormous pressure on them because they've got thousands and tens of thousands of people dislocated both from the North and the South, blowing up their economy, having all the soldiers, you know, getting pulled out of their economy, not being not having you know, they're they're bringing in all these people from India to try to replace the Palestinians to do the low wage work. So they have an incentive to end this war. The person that doesn't is nan Yahu and that's still the case, right, so his interests diverge.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: The US I think still like still has some interests in having Israel be a powerful military force in the region, and is and is not at all willing to use leverage against them. So it doesn't seem at this point like we're necessarily much closer to ceasefire. I'd love to love to be wrong, and I don't think that to your question, changing the name of the president from Joe Biden to Kamala Harris changes the US relation, all right?
Speaker 2: Last this one's questions for me, Phil Thomas, would Sager become committed to learning alternative time knots?
Speaker 3: Okay? First of all, Phil, Phil, whoever you are, whoever you are asking for it, I challenge you to a t contest.
Speaker 2: I can tie four separate, So send me an email and we'll see how many you can do.
Speaker 3: My bet is that Phil defensive. Phil knows how to.
Speaker 2: Do it a foreign hand and maybe watch the YouTube video once on a full windsor. I think he does not know how to rock a double four in hand or half windsor a full windsor.
Speaker 4: I think Phil's got a lot of knots.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Phil, I also tie a bow tie. I tied my own bow tie at my wedding perfectly, perfectly first try.
Speaker 3: Okay, you guys saw it.
Speaker 6: By the way, Phil a bow tie, I could tie four different tis.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, whoever Phil is out there? Okay, Sacer, where are you?
Speaker 4: Boy? Scott? Boy Scott.
Speaker 3: I was a cub Scott for two years.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 3: What else? Let's see?
Speaker 2: Okay, Just so, just a reminder to everybody we are taking questions from our premium subscribers. We have a promotion going on right now for those who are just joining the stream free month trial at Breakingpoints dot com DNC free is that promo code?
Speaker 3: So we just spoke with that. Should we do Hillary, Let's go to Hillary. You want to talk about Hillary? Yay, Hillary, Let's talk about Hillary if we must so.
Speaker 2: Crystal did tee up some of that Hillary conversation for us, but we of course also need to react.
Speaker 3: There were some interesting Hillary moments.
Speaker 2: She talked a little bit about twenty sixteen, but perhaps the most interesting the times have truly changed moment was when lock him Up Chance erupted throughout Oh yeah, Okay, we're about we're about to play Oh no, not your video, not your video of lock him up. We actually have Hillary reacting to lock him up, and she seemingly nods at it.
Speaker 3: Despite the fact that she took a lot of.
Speaker 2: She he definitely had a different approach whenever it was lock her up.
Speaker 3: That was a major political chance.
Speaker 2: So let's go ahead and take a listen, mac, let's cue it up. There it is, let's play it.
Speaker 15: Donald Trump fell.
Speaker 16: Asleep bet his own trial, and when he woke up, he made his own kind of history, the first person to run for president with thirty four felony.
Speaker 15: Convictions as vice president.
Speaker 16: As vice president, Pamla sat in the situation room.
Speaker 3: There it is.
Speaker 2: Remember this Emily from the twenty sixteen Days throw these Yeah, that was quite a moment of real role reversal there.
Speaker 4: She would pull the lever on the electric chair herself.
Speaker 2: I tell you, was so you can tell how much bitterness that this woman still harbors inside of her. And that was something Crystal said too. She's like, you forget how bad they are. When Hillary took the stage, I was like, oh my god, she is so bad. The first time she robotically held her arms up like this.
Speaker 3: It was all of these flashbacks.
Speaker 6: Can we talk about how I first, I'm really curious for Ryan's take inside the arena when the locker him Up chants we're going. But we were all watching in the bp frat house and I was like listening to the Sarah Burrellas song that she walked out to Brave whatever, and I was like, they used to use these kind of interchangeably with fight song, and I was like, no way, they're not going to do fight song.
Speaker 3: Hillary walked she walked down the stage.
Speaker 6: To fight song, which is such a parody and there's no self awareness. Like that's the most incredible thing. There's no self awareness. I guarantee you Hllary Clinton personally personally requested fight song, absolutely, and nobody wanted to say no to her.
Speaker 2: She doesn't know it's a meme, no, because nobody every time I played I literally play that song in my car and I cry with laughter.
Speaker 3: It's Hillary's defeat because that's what I will always associated with. Ryan. Give us your reaction to the lock him Up chance.
Speaker 4: The theme of well, they were intense and where I was like, they were loud, Yeah, people were oh it was loud. Yeah, those were not isolated chance. The theme of the night was for the people. It was, you know, heavily focused on abortion rights and Kamala Harris and Hillary Clinton was the only one who came out and gave just a biographical speech about herself.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was such a good I kept thinking, the same thing, is she's talking about herself Chism twenty sixteen, chism Ferrara. Actually, with all of the past can I'm realizing now both Hillary and Biden frankly throwing it back to him, he resurrected a lot of the January sixth talk, a lot of Charlet's shit that nobody cares about. Okay, like, you know, it's been years since all of that. And it was a reminder actually how uniquely bad both of those politicians are and their own unique vulnerability, which is.
Speaker 6: Why Bill is on Wednesday, Hilary's on Monday, on Biden Night when they're trying to shove people off and move on, and then Bill Clinton's on ones and so.
Speaker 4: And so the thematically what she's going at and is talking about, you know, breaking glass ceilings and being trail blazers, and she was explicitly talking about that. And if you've noticed. Kamala Harris never talks about that ever ever. Ever. Yeah, there is, there's message messaging guidance in democratic circles that the quote first woman of color line just does not work. Like people don't respond to it and or worse, they respond to it negatively. So they have adjusted by saying here's what we will do. I mean, eventually, it took them weeks to tell us what they would do.
Speaker 3: Did they ever tell us? Because okay, look she hasn't told us anything.
Speaker 4: Well, she told us economics policy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she gave a speech, but she didn't give an interview. She's answered one question about it.
Speaker 4: But you will not You will not see any of the trailblazing first woman of color rhetoric coming from the Kamala Harris.
Speaker 6: I think you'll see it pain but don't you think you'll see a small tiny like nods to it.
Speaker 4: Targeted, targeted it. So Emily's list will target it at donors. It works for donors who are already like deeply committed it and it lets them give another six figures. But for the public at large, they do not want that messaging out there. Hillary Clinton just went all in on it.
Speaker 6: Maybe we should put a butt down on this because I feel like it will come up briefly one time, maybe in Kamala Harris's speed, but it won't be a feature or it will be the campaign.
Speaker 4: It will be an illusion, like she will allude to how what she will say, but.
Speaker 3: It won't be like Hillary. I mean Hillary is the way she started off, was like my mother born.
Speaker 4: But what she'll say is what every other candidates set who comes from anything other than rich background. They will say, my rise to the White House shows that anything is possible in America, right, Like, she'll do that, but it won't.
Speaker 3: That's Obama mask.
Speaker 4: That's fine. Actually, I don't think you're going to hear Shirley Chisholm. All right, so we can put Draft Kings money down on them.
Speaker 2: Maybe DraftKings has a no polymarket, that's where you would play. That's not an endorsement.
Speaker 6: Don't gamble, folks. It is corrosive to the soul.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the twenty sixteen revelry that Hillary just had to get in there, where she not only reminisces about her twenty sixteen campaign, she even brags about the number of votes she got, which is just so incredible. With the bitterness seeping out of her. Let's take a listen, mac, Let's cue it up for us, my friend, there it is.
Speaker 16: And then there was twenty sixteen, when it was the honor of my life except our party's nomination for president. And and nearly sixty six million Americans voted for a future where there are no ceilings on our dreams.
Speaker 6: And afterwards we refused.
Speaker 16: To give up on America. Millions marched, many ran for office. We kept our eyes on the future. Well, my friends, the future is here.
Speaker 3: Make one going on that twenty sixty have we got millions of votes?
Speaker 7: I have.
Speaker 4: I covered the aftermath of the twenty six teen campaign in the Democratic Party extremely closely. It makes up a couple chapters and a couple of my books. The Democratic Party had nothing to do with the renaissance, had nothing to do with the Women's March. They were afraid of the Women's March. That was a genuinely bottom up, Facebook fueled, organic, suburban women driven event. Then she talks about all these people who ran for office. That was organic too. These were mostly women, well qualified who had never considered running for office before they saw Donald Trump win the White House and instantly they were like, well, if he can be president, I can run her state House. Well, Congress, And they did it, and a bunch of them are now senators and members of Congress, and the Democratic Party and its establishment had nothing to do with it and was even afraid of it.
Speaker 6: So I actually thought this was the most interesting speech of the night because this is in the trajectory of Hillary Clinton's career. You can see she thought, she leaves Kamala Harris potentially becoming presidency can be reframed, or can reframe her twenty sixteen devastating loss. Right, she doesn't have to huff the putin copium anymore. She can actually now say what I did was be the foundation that led to the first female president. Also being a woman of color, I.
Speaker 4: Can actually offensive because it's just not true.
Speaker 6: Well, and she said that the highest hardest glass ceiling is a woman becoming president. That's the implication of her line, not a black person becoming president, which Obama did before, Yeah, but which I also think is somewhat offensive.
Speaker 4: He beat her and she hated him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, of course, of course, and so now the highest hardest glass ceiling. So she has found a way in the wake of Biden dropping off the ticket. She was so pleased to be there and to have the speaking moment because it was this opportunity for her to change, to rewrite Hillary Clinton's history in real time. And I think she thinks it's going to work, and maybe it will, but she really believes now that the story of twenty sixteen isn't going to be the story of a you know, sort of fascist, sexist pig defeating the first woman president with help from Vladimir Putin. The story of twenty sixteen is going to be this woman paved the way for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: That's such a sick point because I know it's true, Like, yeah, I'm like thinking about that, because I know that will how we retcon and then in schools they'll how they'll try and teach it if Kamala wins. Is that this was the foundation. But I mean, overall, again, the vibe from Hillary is just bitterness. This woman is so politically how.
Speaker 4: Could you be anything but bitter, Like, yeah, look at you were. You were guaranteed to win the White House and you lost to Donald trumping centers a tiny glass ceiling, Uh yes, and you have the rest of your life to live anyway, and and when Biden is being forced out, she's sitting by her phone like, awesome, here comes my moment, just to come on, come on ring? Why is why is my phone not ringing? This is weird? Like I'm the one, I've already beaten him. I got more votes than him. Why why is my phone not ringing? And so even if she could work through her bitterness from twenty sixteen, more bitterness comes through every single time that the phone doesn't ring, and she expects it to absolutely.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll take one question before we move on. Somebody says, I want to see BP after hours with them just chilling, a tieless Sager hanging out talking about everything.
Speaker 4: Sleep, What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: A T shirt?
Speaker 6: I saw it, I saw it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're I said, a T shirt.
Speaker 2: I don't know of what you speak and hanging out talking about everything, and of course Emily mocking Sager with her voices. Somebody in the chat sends a picture of the State Department Press secretary and says Sager as press secretary, which.
Speaker 3: Again it looks eventsive. We don't look alike okay, we I mean, we don't look a lot. We don't look alike.
Speaker 9: I'm on Sager's side. I think this is like maybe you like in middle school or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, yes, but are you working out kind of and you woke much over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Would you all be trying to willing to try and get Hassan on the show at some point?
Speaker 3: So we did actually run into Hassan yesterday.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if people know this. He is a very tall guy. I keep saying I was shocked by this.
Speaker 6: I was shocked.
Speaker 3: I'm like six to two. He's six five.
Speaker 2: He's got to be a good six five, right, Yeah, he's like a head taller than me. I was like, whoa, that's actually quite shocking. It was funny too because he was You were like, does the chat no Soger And he's like, yeah, they know soccer, And I was like, yeah, chat hate Sacer. I'm pretty sure. But we tried to get Hassan. He's busy, Yeah, he's he's a little he's doing handler too, He's.
Speaker 6: Doing drop site stuff. He's doing drop stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, he was, he was. He was going to use our drop site desk in the arena. But and this is an interesting political point, right, the d n C gave him his own handler.
Speaker 3: No it's crazy, guys, and gave him a VIP and gave him a sweeter spot than the one that we have.
Speaker 4: Not that we have a sweet spot. We just had a normal desk the drop sites.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but so they're like, no, no, I don't worry about it. We've got him taken care of. And you know he trashes democrats. Oh I know, yeah, they don't care.
Speaker 2: Heally had his own little comms girl and was taking her around. That's kind of an interesting point. We're going to get to that about the DNC kind of being a ship show.
Speaker 4: We'd like, we'd like to get him on if we can get them.
Speaker 3: We tried, I mean, busy on the stream constantly.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he and there's a lot hard that was another he's in California.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of rings.
Speaker 4: You know, we end our show by seven am, like West Coast right right, So like that when he wakes up, I don't know, people would know better.
Speaker 3: People game for twelve hours.
Speaker 2: That ryan more rings on, Yeah, gotta put more rings on to be more so. Anyway, that is the question about get Hassan. We did ask him, but he's busy and he's doing his own thing. No, not Hassan Minaj. Somebody said, did you mean Hasan Manaj?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I mean I could ask. Actually, you know I did ask him. People know Hassan and I had beef, but we squashed the beef. He invited me, and he did say he was willing to come on the show at some point. So anyway, we're talking about Hasamanaj here, not Hassan Piker. Okay, let's someone goes, you mean Nicki Minaj's brother. This is getting live stream. It's fun doing a live straight We don't get to do this enough. Let's go to the protest block here and let's talk a little bit about that. There were a couple of moments. Ryan, I'm going to rely on you to explain some of this. First, let's watch the video here. These are two delegates who we met briefly.
Speaker 4: Was it the two of the more than two?
Speaker 3: Okay, So there were a couple.
Speaker 2: Of delegates that were in the hall in Chicago who actually rually unfurled a banner saying, quote, stop arming Israel. But the interesting thing was not just their protest, was their reaction inside the hall to their protest. People were very upset and they did their best. Mac, go ahead and queue up that video E one. Uh, let's take a listen.
Speaker 3: Possibility, possibility break.
Speaker 7: Well, what's in a sentence about heat?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 3: Okay? Tell us about what we do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there there are other videos where the show you where you can see the guy kind of like swinging.
Speaker 9: Why don't we play that right now?
Speaker 3: We want to play want to play Ryan?
Speaker 4: It's not my video that I think that's there's another one where like he's like and it's so perfect and poetic because it says we love Biden to beat somebody with a pole that says love is there's just something.
Speaker 3: We have a time.
Speaker 2: Whoever Ryan's video, right, Mac, you want to go on and clue que that up.
Speaker 4: And we can just we'll just talk. We'll just talk over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're the one who filmed this.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So so I was right by the Florida delegation, which is where this is happening. And you've got the guy that you saw in the picture. Who's the protests or it's a delegate from Michigan named Leono Sharon, Jewish delegate, and then a Muslim delegate from Florida named it Nadia Ahmad uh. And then there was another another delegate from Connecticut named Isa Boret who who helped as well. He had told me that on Sunday he was trying to get into a d NC reception and they found like a Palestinian flag in his bag and security swarmed him and like made him leave the floor.
Speaker 6: Is there a no flag rule?
Speaker 4: I don't that they are.
Speaker 3: They're confiscating Palestinian Yeah, yeah, they would. They booted him out with the flag.
Speaker 4: Little do they know he actually was planning the next day. It was a little little racial profiling and they got lucky. Souh Naya Ahmad smuggled this entire banner, which Laurence Steiner, another Jewish activist from North Carolina helped.
Speaker 3: Is that the date.
Speaker 4: I don't think that different met her. She's you can. I wrote about this for a drop site. You guys can check that story out. So basically what's going on here is initially you saw that kind of miniature violent response where they try to rip it out of their hands and then they're swinging the little cardboard things at them. But the crowd to I'd say, to their credit ish because I think it's also absurd, said no, no, no, stops up, stop, de escalate, don't get violent, don't get violent. But then they just completely obscured. They they're like everybody signs up, signs up there. I think they're A smarter move might have been to just ignore it, actually, because the cameras just stayed on Biden the entire time.
Speaker 3: So then, yeah, look at this guy throwing his sign in front of your camp.
Speaker 4: This guy out of your phone.
Speaker 7: This guy.
Speaker 4: He's the former executive director of the Florida Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: I learned this guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're a journalist, we are credentialed media. On the floor of the d N.
Speaker 4: I was, and I was telling me to do that. I'm like, what are you doing? And towards the end, I'm like, look, there's like eight other cameras here. You're gonna block all of them. And he's like yes, He's like yes, I will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is happening? So so I just I was just constantly moving around.
Speaker 4: Occasionally I'd be able to like, you know, find somebody who could pick him, and and then I'd have like a shot, I'll be with you next time, yeah, next time. Yeah, I needed a pick, they'll pick and roll or a little little Reggie White swim at times. Yeah, So it was surreal. And so while I say impressive, I mean in the sense that like, uh, the guy had a lot of energy like he was he was, he followed me for like ten minutes around there, but also absurd, like yes, you're supposed to be Democrats, like you're not acting like demo.
Speaker 6: Remember this is the democracy Democracy.
Speaker 4: It's the as they talk about at the conventions, the oldest political party in the world, and it stands for these these great values. So that kind of clashed. But so then Sharon was taken out and I don't know if we have any of this from the very end of the clip. We might not, but it's in the substack. I mean it's in the drop side article on substack, Mac.
Speaker 3: Can we plug dropside please? E two put that up there on the screen.
Speaker 4: So what's what the other the other cool part apparently the other person who knew about this ahead of time was Amy Goodman. Oh absolute legend. The goat was on the scene and you know, so she was there with a camera person as well, and so she followed if you go to the very end of this video, so there he is. This is this is Sharon. He was not like dragged out or arrested, and he was able to give an interview with with press here talking about you know why. You know, he felt that it was necessary for him him to do this, and he actually said that he is voting for Kamala Harris. He said to other people he did, Yeah he did. Yeah, interesting is that Amy?
Speaker 3: Yeah there she is. Yeah, was actually interviewing him. That's interesting.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So that was the that was the effort at disruption. And I think watching you tell me, watching it, you could barely tell anything happened.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have not no no watching it from where we were.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely didn't.
Speaker 2: Even the broadcast media basically pretended like it didn't exist.
Speaker 6: And the broadcast didn't pick it up.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the banner said stop arming Israel.
Speaker 6: You could you couldn't hear it. The cameras didn't pan to it. Yeah, there was really no unless you were on social media and you saw it, you wouldn't have no, no, it had happened. The other thing we do have, we can put this was all from inside. We can put the four up on the screen. This is a These are some pictures what happened outside the convention, actually even outside the security perimeter. This is from actually a fan of the show that I met at the protest in Union Park, Dylan Kylie, a photo journalist. Yeah, big shout out to Dylan. He put a lot of effort into making sure we could get these up on the screen and Mackie can just scroll through. But that first one that you just saw was important because that was a Kamala Harris. It was a sort of cut out of her head that was beside a net and Yahoo cut out of his head, which when you're talking to some of these protesters in Union Park outside the convention, they can't get in the security perimeter. These are a lot of locals types of people that I talked to, at least a lot of locals, a lot of people who come from neighboring states, Indiana and Michigan. Jewish voices for peace were there. There was some Code Pink activists there. One of the things I heard is that we talked about this earlier in the show. If Kamala Harris and Joe Biden are able to reach a ceasefire, a lot of these uncommitted voters might just swing Harris and there's you know that would have to be Obviously it's a huge ask. It's a huge ask. It does put some pressure on the Democratic Party. And for all to talk about nineteen sixty eight, I just have to say, you know, expectations of tens of thousands of people. One report I saw was close to one hundred thousand expected to descend upon Chicago, and so far we've seen sort of smatterings of a few thousand. It is not nineteen sixty eight here in Chicago at least yet, at least yet.
Speaker 4: And something else sick is that net Yahoo doesn't necessarily need to agree to a ceasefire to get in good with Kamala Harris. What he what he could do if he thinks Harris is going to win and he's trying to like position himself for that eventuality, he could just reduce the bombing. And it told me yesterday the Cyprus landing, which is where enormous amount of the AID was moving from originally, has just now been completely shut down. So he has ways of torturing and causing great suffering to the you know, million plus Palestinians in Gaza that don't involve bombing schools. So one possibility if these ceasefire talks fall apart is that cynically they just hold off on the smashing them to pieces for just a few months. And there are some analysts who are following this now who think that that that could be Netnahu's path forward, that he never reaches a ceasefire and just every and but has long lulls where the the overt violence that we see is reduced for weeks or maybe even months at a time, but people are still displaced. Eight is still unable to get in, so people are dying of treatable diseases, Polio's you know, surging, et cetera. But that makes fewer headlines and Democrats might say, okay, cool, that works for us.
Speaker 6: And several people were arrested last night trying to breach the security perimeter.
Speaker 3: We're hoping for Jane six moment, just Trama's happening.
Speaker 6: Defence does look similar. But so there's a gathering I think that's happening at the Israeli consulate in Chicago tonight. Obviously it's possible that when you have a decent amount of protesters, I mean thousands of protesters are still a big number of people, tensions can build throughout the week, so we will see. But one of the things I just wanted to mention here is the sort of logistics that we've panned on behalf of the d n C. I mean, the absolute nightmare that was last night's broadcast, the credentialing, incredible lines for security hours worse than the rn C. All of the RNC had some bad ones on its own Day one. We'll see what happens DNC Day two. Everyone that I talked to who was here to protest had nothing but like positive things to say about how the protests have been handled so far by the city of Chicago. Everyone said they felt safe, felt orderly. So it's kind of an interesting split screen with I don't know if it's easy MAC for you to put up F three, but it's kind of an interesting split screen when you have, for example, reporters saying like, hey, the RNC was way better managed than the DNC, and at the same time they're at least managing these thousands of protesters which did not come to the RNC. There were hundreds of them, I would say protesters, maybe a couple thousand at one point on one of the days. But here at the DNC they're managing these thousands of protesters just fine. And then the actual logistics of the event itself so far, I've really sucked.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, interesting enough, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a couple of last questions here from the chat, and then we will preview the events.
Speaker 4: While you look for it, well, you look for a question, talk for one minute about NONTC news if something hilarious, all right, that just came out of the Treasury Department this morning. They sanctioned Michelle Martin Lee of the former president. We're getting eighty or being a dug trafficker, which everybody believes is true. This is the guy that Hillary Clinton installed based completely illegitimately as president of Haiti. He's now being sanctioned as a drug trafficker. That's all funny. Even funnier thing. He's a Florida resident, so the US government believes that he's an international drug trafficker to the point where he needs to be sanctioned.
Speaker 3: But he's an American citizen.
Speaker 4: He's not a citizen, but he lives in Florida.
Speaker 3: He's just gonna hang out in Florida, and that's cool.
Speaker 4: That's that's just how we're going to do that. Like what what that is so weird? Like you're sanctioned for being a global narco trafficker, but you can just live in the villages or whatever. Oh and by the way, there's an election in the villages today. Yeah, the guy that I've covered that I've covered, Orren Miller.
Speaker 6: Okay, another little bit of non DNC news. Kamala Harrison announced a twenty corporate tax rate yesterday. I guess it's kind of d n C.
Speaker 4: What is it now, twenty f it's long.
Speaker 6: Trump loaded to like twenty or something closer.
Speaker 3: It's in the lower twenties. Yeah, this is that's actually.
Speaker 4: Gonna be a big fight.
Speaker 3: That'll be interesting.
Speaker 6: So we'll see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and all those rates are up.
Speaker 3: Can you do your best Trump impression before her?
Speaker 9: Impressions are really good?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I'm not I'm not prepared.
Speaker 6: I'm only good in the moment.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: We got a gmrade Gamala. She's nobody ever called her that before I.
Speaker 4: Did twenty eight percent.
Speaker 3: She wouldn't even do twenty eight percent.
Speaker 6: Nobody thought that we could never have a comrade Goma.
Speaker 3: Is a nasal quality to it, which is very gutereral too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I only started adding that to it because I used to do more of like a him after Gillis started. After Gillis started doing it, it is clear that you have that guttural Gamrad Gamala. Nobody ever called her that.
Speaker 3: It's about the nazel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's tough, but it's also about the hands, right, like you have to be the hands are key and the best way to learn how to do it, Charlie, the best way to learn how to do a Donald Trump impression is to simply watch Charlie Kirk do Charlie Kirk impression.
Speaker 3: Because he has absorbed.
Speaker 6: All the Trumpian a jesters, like my name's Charlie.
Speaker 3: Okay, what else we got? We're not getting a ton of questions here.
Speaker 6: We answered pretty much.
Speaker 3: It's because we've answered everything. That's okay. Well we'll just we'll go ahead and peace out of everybody.
Speaker 9: So let's go over what who's speaking tonight?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Predictions?
Speaker 13: I mean, I have a list right here with Samas, Doug m Hoff. We have Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 3: Oh, that'll be interesting. Yeah, we'll definitely talk about that tomorrow.
Speaker 13: I've got Illinois Senator Tammy Duckworth, Illinois Governor JB.
Speaker 4: Pritzker.
Speaker 9: We're hearing that Chuck Schumer will speak.
Speaker 6: I don't get the Pritzker stuff. Like, I just don't think he's.
Speaker 3: A good he's a normal I mean, he's the governor here, he's.
Speaker 6: Got to speak, I know, but he's a he comes with so much like billionaire baggage. He's not particularly charismatic.
Speaker 9: He's just he's so big.
Speaker 3: He's a big He's big big, He's just big. Okay, all right, who else?
Speaker 13: Bama's the the night apparently is capping off with both Michelle and Brock.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe we'll get a week when they go low we go high moment again, that's an doubt doubtful Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: No, never Channing, lock him up.
Speaker 3: No, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: I want to see how she handles that this time around. I don't really remember her twenty twenty speech at all. I'm not even sure she did one because of COVID Obama. Look, I mean, he's probably the most beloved Democrat in the entire country, so well, I'm curious to see what he does. Obviously, he's talented generally. The way that he handles Trump is definitely a lot more deaf than Biden. Hilary ever, did I want to see the message that he tries to push, But I mean, at the same time, he's always been terrible transferring his own personal popularity, so that'll be difficult. It does appear that tonight will be hosted MC by Anna Navarro, so everybody get ready to put a bullet to your head.
Speaker 3: So that'll be kind of interesting.
Speaker 6: What else, well, so on that point, yeah, how incredible dumb of them to have on a Navarro MC. It's playing fight song. She is the human manifestation of fight song. She is a long time slimy Republican operative basically who when Donald Trump came along, suddenly flipped and became you know, you know the type and became just enemy number one of Donald Trump. Performatively sanctimonious about the threat of Trump, but in the most boomer possible way on the View when she guests hosts not even like a full time host of the View. So that is just the lack of self awareness that it takes to be putting celebrities like on a Navarrow up as your MC is truly a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there you go. That's our preview tomorrow. We're gonna be live what time tomorrow later, so.
Speaker 13: Crystal will be here tomorrow. Ver exc I don't have the full four panel. We'll probably be starting somewhere around like two pm Cententral time, two.
Speaker 9: Pms Central time.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 13: We are running a free month trial all week long for ulimited Time Mac if you can throw it up again. For our premium subscription, you get our entire show and our early uncut in your inbox every morning. And uh, you know this is a month trial, so you know you can cancel it on the twenty ninth day and not get charged a penny.
Speaker 3: You know, life hack.
Speaker 4: I don't know. People are people are gonna love it so much?
Speaker 9: I think so, yeah, you know, it's try to take advantage.
Speaker 3: Take advantage dancy free breakingpoints dot com. This is a lot of fun. It really was. Thank you Ghost Energy.
Speaker 6: I'm shaking.
Speaker 2: I wonder I need to rewatch this when I'm like more calm and be like hmm, I wonder as well as I hoped it. It was a lot of fun to participate at. So thank you Ryan forgetting us a live instant studio guest. Thanks to our two incredible UH members here. We've got Mac producer Mac go ahead, go ma Ca mat Cam.
Speaker 3: I love this. We need to get this in our studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it so much, kind of like Pat McAfee the Pat McAfee.
Speaker 3: Show, or James Jamie. Yeah, yeah, it's exactly. I love the producer. It's like Wendy Williams exactly. All right, So I'm loving this.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll try and incorporate it at breaking points, but until then, we will see everybody tomorrow. We love you, Thank you all very much, especially to our premium subscribers who enable all of this. We are going to go down to the DNC and see what kind of chaos that we can film and bring to everybody tomorrow.
Speaker 3: So there we go. We'll see you later.