Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butcher podcast. We come to you every Wednesday. This week's guest writer Cupper for the European side, Andrew Coltart won a couple of times on the DP World Tour and is a voice at sky Sports Golf Now. One of my favorite people, super super Smart always has great takes, so was excited to get his reaction to the season ending Race for Dubai tournament in Dubai on the DP World and talk about all things DP World. But before we get to that interview, let's take a moment to talk about our friends at rap Sodo. It's hard to believe the holidays are here, but rap Soto has you covered for the perfect golf present for any golf lover in your life or even yourself. That's the all new rap Sodo m LM two Pro Launch Monitor. You've heard me talk about how much I like the original MLM Launch Monitor, which is two hundred and ninety nine dollars, and now they have the MLM two Pro. It's a mobile launch monitor and golf simulator that is revolutionizing the game. This award winning device offers three video replay options to analyze your swing, deliverge, thirteen key metrics and boast over thirty thousand courses. And you want to know what the best part is. It's portable, whether you're practicing at home or going to the range or heading to a simulator. This is the device that really fits easily into your golf bag and you can take it with you anywhere you want to try and practice. Priced at six ninety nine, it's a steal and was recently dubbed the best value launch monitor by my golf Spy. Visit rapsodo dot com right now to take advantage of their exclusive deals. From now until December tenth, you can save sixty nine dollars and ninety nine cents on the MLM two Pro Launch Monitor and get a dozen RPT golf Ball bundle or enjoy twenty percent off rap Sodo sim studios plus all five studio bundles are available for under three thousand dollars or five thousand dollars if you include a projector and the MLM two Pro. Don't miss out on this amazing opportunity to elevate your game with rap Sodo and play without limits. And now let's get to a really exciting talk with Andrew Coltart for my American listeners, My guest today is not Sean Connery, it is Andrew Coltart. Andrew were It's a podcast, so no subtitles, so try and give us your your your accent a little bit turned down. Okay, So the DP World Tour just fit out in Dubai Race for Dubai. You were out there on the call for Sky Sports. Interesting year, Andrew. For the DP World, the European I still call it the European Tour. You joined the European Tour in nineteen ninety three, one twice calling it DP World as opposed to call it the European Tour. Is just so weird to me.
Speaker 2: It takes a bit of getting used to, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Claude Nikolai Hogard Bertie's five out of the last six. I mean, this kid is a this kid is a stud. I mean that's a big golf course, that is a big, big field. How good do you think this kid can be? Because when I watch him hit golf balls and he and his brother Rasmus, I mean they look like they can win any time anywhere on any tour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point. Look, I think it still just goes to prove that golf is in great hands. You know, the next generation is coming through, and goodness me, are they good? They are good? Don't you worry about that? Yeah? Five or the last six to win with the likes of Ram breathing down his neck, hoveling, breathing down his neck. And I'm going to take my hat off to him because I you know, I questioned whether he deserved that picking the Ryder Cup. And okay, Europe went on and they won the Ryder Cup. Nicole I only managed to get half a point and a half a point. It's still huge when it comes to Ryder Cup. It's massive in terms of what that means. But he himself would possibly have been a little bit disappointed if he was. Goodness me, he's got over it quick because if finished second in the ned Bank down there in South Africa to Max Homer the week before and then went on, as you've said, and won our tour championships. And you know, the kid and his brother who just missed out on a duel card and the PGA Tour next year are phenomenal talents that you know we've got over here. They've come through Denmark, the Daily System. They won the Eisenhewer Trophy, which was the amateur team event, alongside John Axelson. And you know, these kids are are the real deal. You know, we seem to have quite a few of them at the minute.
Speaker 1: Scandinavian golf right now, Andrew making kind of a resurgence. I mean, there was that big kind of nineties push where there were a factory of players coming out of Sweden. But you've got Victor Hall Hoblin from Norway. You've got Ludwig Alberg, who's I mean by all like by I mean he just looks like he can't miss. And then you've got the Hoguard Quins. So Scandinavian golf is really really strong right now. I thought it was really important for Scottish golf this year Andrew, for Bob Bob McIntyre to get on that Ryder Cup team. But I lived in Scotland, you and I, I mean, it's one of my favorite places. Why don't we see Scottish golf doing what we see Scandinavian golf. It has always mystified me. I mean I lived in Glasgow for almost five years. The weather is is pretty much the same. You've got better courses in Scotland. But you see Scandinavian golf just constantly doing well and Scottish golf, in my opinion, not doing what it should do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well look at you. I mean you and I have been discussions around golf coaching for quite some time. There was a trend in the sort of early two thousands to model every single player's golf swing on the one golf swing. You know, if you start to look at, you know, all the Scandinavians, you know, in fact, you don't need to be a genius to look through any of the tools that you see on television, and basically, no two human beings swing at the same way. A golf swings like a fingerprint, and it's important that the golf coach understands how that person interprets the lessons that are being made and does so without losing ownership of their own golf swing. And you know, Scotland I think fell into a trap where they had a central system and almost like everything that these players knew and learned and grew up with when they got into the national system, it seemed to me as if it was sort of broken down and said, now that's not how you do it. This is how you do it. And my own personal view is that that that put quite a few players back a little bit. It affected the development and they didn't come through. Also, I will say, look, I think things are cyclical. Ave and said that Scotland's not produced the talent that it should have done for quite some time. Has obviously been the odd exception. We're all very familiar with Colin Montgomery. But well, you know, I think something happened in English golf around about the late eighties early nineties when one or two of the players came out on to Lee Westwood, Goody's tour card, David Hall got he's tour car, to name few, and of course all the young English male golfers that had grown up playing with him could see that they could play. If these guys can get on tour, they can get on tour, and that drew a lot more of those players out. Your Paul Cases, your Luc Donald's. You know, we know what they've gone on to achieve in the game. We did start seeing in Sweden many moons ago, no surprise, because they were like the first amateur body to adopt a professional approach to golf in general. It was happening in all other sports, but golf was typically slow and lazy to adapt. The Swedes came out partner it, Johansen, Hegman, Headlum, all things like that. And now we're just saying again the growth of the game in those areas. Thomas biond is on Kelton have an awful lot to do with the advancement of the Danish golf in there again, you know, putting their knowledge back in those young stars being inspired by the elder generation starting to see it go. I've got to admit in France so stancy an awful lot of really good quality of young French players coming through. That was evident again in their tour chance. And I've got to say, you know, our Scottish kids, there's a few more Scottish kids now coming through, and I'm pleased to see that they don't all swing it the same way. They've all got their own way to do it, but they're all you know, they're all developing at at a pretty good pace. Obviously, you talked about Robert mcinty and he was pretty much the first of this new generation. And I was granted Forrest calum Hill. You and Ferguson, who's won twice now on the on the DPE World to the European Tour, came close in the top ten there last week. So it's that belief and that evidence that allows the conference to sort of grow in some of these players, and that's why we're seeing these countries now starting to come on. But trust me, for a lot period of time we were scratching our head and very very disappointed with the with the you know, the the output in Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's interesting Andrew that you mentioned that there was this trend and I think there was a trend in a lot of the national teams and it was right around that kind of Tiger Woods era Adam Scott to where everybody was trying to get all the players to kind of swing the golf club the same way, right, to put the golf club in positions. And you know, having grown up and playing in Scotland, I think one of the great things growing up in a country like Scotland or Ireland or Northern Ireland does is if you're going to be a competitive golfer, you have to learn how to play golf first and foremost, you have to get out on the golf course in very difficult conditions. You know, you go out to places like Carnoustie, Mirfield Troon, which are golf courses that are very very famous, but they're also golf courses that you can play. You can go and play these great golf courses. My dad years ago, in like the early two thousands, when I first moved to Europe, he did a my dad and his brothers they did a Red Bull kind of coaching clinic and my dad and his brothers they went down to Celtic Manor and I think Rory Mcker was part.
Speaker 3: Of this group.
Speaker 1: This has got to be like two and my dad said, it's rain and sideways and everybody's out hitting golf balls. And he's like, in the US, if it's raining, you don't go and hit golf ball. So my point being this centralized system that you talked about that I think a lot of, and it's something that I talk a lot about on my podcast, Andrew, the difference between playing golf and the difference between practicing golf and practicing your technique. And I think what I hear you saying is I think there's it's easy to say two players, listen, we've got to treat everybody the same, You've got to swing the golf club the same. But if that was the case, a guy like Colin Montgomery would have never made it out of any sort of system because he had such an idiosyncratic but an unbelievably repetitive golf swing, you know, in talking about Scottish golf. I mean, listen, we all make jokes about Monty that those of us that know him, that have to be around him, that that you have to work with him sometimes.
Speaker 4: And Monty Munty is an easy, easy target, right, But the guy was an unbelievable golfer and I don't think he gets I think sometimes because of the way Monty is personally and in the public that he doesn't get the credit.
Speaker 3: But he's one of the best.
Speaker 1: Golfers I've ever seen, Like, he's one of the best golfers I have ever seen pick up a golf club, and I just don't think he gets the credit. Obviously, he never won a major. But it's interesting, Andrew, nowadays, you can be a superstar without winning a major. Back in the day, Monty wasn't seen as a superstar because he never got that major. But you grew up with him. You watched him play a lot of golf. How good was he?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was. He was incredible, you know, I mean the consistency just speaks volumes. You know, Wonda what it is now? That story buy the order it merit eight times you wanted, he wanted seven in a row, seven in a row. I mean, you know, you don't get an opportunity to have a bad week when you when when you do things like that, and callin Colin was there and thereabouts carrying the you know, carrying the flag for the European Tour, in the global game, playing all over the world, and you know, just just the level of consistency, the repetitiveness of that's when he was out of this world. A great touch, he was good in the greens. He just had it all and and it was a really interesting temperament though, because you know, it wouldn't be the temperament that you would you would try to encourage people to have. But but it was part of his defense mechanism because you know, as you know a lot of players, if it's not working out, you sort of find something else to blame. You know, it's not me, it's something else. And that way it keeps us at a confidence. I wasn't my fault. It was it was you know that bub flapping its wings and the trees three miles away, you know that that kind of thing, or that you know, the baby, the baby screaming in the nursery because it needs it's diaper changed, or something like something like. You know, I mean a lot of people, a lot of people would just be able to tuck that away and get on with it. And you know, Monty, Monty used it as a way of just deflecting the pressure off. But another great one though. We talked to Jim Furick. You know, if if anybody, if anybody other than his father went near Fury, he would never have had it. Dustin, you know, Dustin came out. You know when we used to go through a system where the club face at the top, as you know, needed to be sort of forty five degrees, you know, do open shot that kind of thing, and then and you know, and anything anything more open and that needed to chege. Nobody had ever ever come with a golf club. Really it was pointing. The face was pointing straight up the sky. Incomes Dustin Johnson, best player in the world, blows everybody off the face of the planet for for many years and was still they're still playing great golf, and it's it's that kind of thing. There was a ten plate over here with the PGA system where everybody had to teach the same swing, and I think that was a massive, massive mistake. You know, when when it's it's all very well, when it's it's you know, you're teaching a book, or you're just teaching somebody that wants to be a good golfer. But when you're teaching somebody that wants to be one of the best golfers, you know, on poor or on the planet or something. If you if you take, if you strip out what is in their DNA their golf swing and give them something else, they will never ever be that player. There's only one man I think has ever come close to doing that and maybe and improved, and that was the man we all knows as Foulther. He was. He was the only guy that was capable of doing that.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you mentioned Justin Johnson played from a real plays from a really really shut position, and my dad when he worked with DJ didn't change that. When he first started working with Tiger in ninety three, Tiger played from a super pretty closed position, and my dad weakened his grip. They wanted to get the golf club in a little bit more of a neutral position, and then you've got a guy like Monty. Monty played kind of slap fades from a very very open position. I do think that we are in twenty three, though, Andrew, because of all the technology and because of how much we know and how much we can measure. I've never changed golf swings less right, I've never changed golf swings. And I've said this before on the podcast, but it's one of my favorite stories to tell about my dad's brother, my uncle Billy. You know, he was in Vegas. It's like Tiger in two thousands, are Adam Scott's there and every you know, and Tiger and Scotty. I mean, he couldn't put the golf club in better positions. But I'll never forget this. And my uncle Billy said, you know, it's amazing to watch these guys and watch how everybody is trying to emulate these two. And they're obviously Tiger of being an amazing player, Scotty, but he said, you look at two of the greatest ball strikers of all time, Haile, Irwin, Lee, Trevino Hale shot, Hale was closed, took it inside, came over it and hit cuts. Lee was wide open, took it way outside, dropped it under. And my uncle Billy said, it's amazing. We don't teach anyone to swing like this. We teach everybody to try and swing like Adam Scott and Tiger Woods. He's like, look at the way Nicholas putted. Nobody ever tried to reproduce or emulate the way Jack Nicholas putted. And he without other than Tiger, he's the greatest putter of all time. And it's funny how you're right, things are cyclical, and I do think we are. I mean, if you look at a kid, you know, like Victor Hovlin, hobby doesn't have a Adam Scott beautiful textbook type golf swing. Ludah Olberg, Okay, I like some of the things about his golf swing, but he's got a little bit of a move at the top where it looks like he takes it off and it can get a little bit laid off, and then the whole guard twinds me. None of these guys Bob mckett. None of these guys are classic, classic swingers of a golf club, but they all have very very good golf swings. And do you see a trend more so now in a kind of a swing back to the old days where we are seeing some some Paul Aisinger type type grips, see some idiosyncratic golf swings, be really really good right now?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that goes back to what you're playing. These are these are players that have learned it's it's the game is not called swing. The game's called golf. You've got to play golf the whole, all the all the these ingredients come together. You can have a great golf swing and be a be a crack golfer. You know, you know, you know what I mean. But you've got to learn to play. And these people have understood and know how to play and how to be confident with what they've gone. And I've got to take my hat off to their coaches that have just allowed them to go and and progress and improve and maintain that level of positivity and confidence without without stripping it away, without destroying it, without giving them somebody else's golf swing to work away at and it's allowed them to develop at a different rates. But it's also allowed them to, you know, focus on other things that contribute to being to being a world class golfer. I mean, if you know you can have a very game. I remember one time I got my I swing looking really really good on video. It looked great. I was really happy with how it looked. I had no idea where that where the club face was at impact. And trust me, when the golf ball's going left and it's going right and you get no idea how it's going there, confidence tends to dip off a little bit. It doesn't matter how good any other aspect of the games playing, it's rubbish.
Speaker 1: Andrew, you mentioned your own career. You turned prone in ninety three. You were part of the Walker Cup team in ninety one with Padrick Harrington and Paul McGinley were on that team for GB and I and then David Duvall, film mcle and Bob May on the on the US side. So amateur career then pro. You won twice on the European Tour back then in Qatar in ninety eight the Great Northern Open in one played the Ryder Cup in ninety nine when you look back on your playing career, Andrew.
Speaker 3: Kind of grade would you give it?
Speaker 1: And if you could go back and do anything different, would you go back and do anything different? Do you feel like you got the most out of kind of your game and your career?
Speaker 2: Good question, but good question. And I remember sitting an exam in my little school, my town which had two thousand population of high school. It was I couldn't even tell you what exam I was sitting. I was that board sitting it. But I remember dreaming while I should have been trying to figure out the answer for something. If I just, you know what I would give to just have a tour card. If I just had a tour card for one year, you know, and I'd thrame it up on the wall and I could say that I'd be a European Tour player. Well, that would just be it to me. That would be you know that that would at that stage, when I'm seventeen, eighteen years old, I'll just make my life, you know. I can brag about that, you know, forever, tell stories about that year that I played it. I'd be called the European Tour player. Then you get on tour and then of course. You know, you look around and your goals change, your aspirations change, a lot of a lot of things change, and you know you push yourself, you push yourself even further. Yeah, I got into that Rider Cup side. I want I want a couple of I want a couple of two events, which was great. That was that was crucial to me because you're when you're always played, you always question whether you're good enough. You never really know you're good enough until you win a championship. So when you win a European Tour championship and you become a winner on tour, that's a great feeling. And then obviously to get the NOD and to represent my continent and a Ryder Cup, well that was just incredible. And and even though when I was playing, and when I subsequently played from that point at I given myself and minus or an F. When I look back now, having finished my career and moved into the media world, I look back now and said, you know what, you know where I came from little golf course that had three hundred members. It was only six thousand yards long in the middle of the hills in the south of Scotland, and I did pretty good. I did pretty good for myself. I was, you know, not a lot of people managed to get out of the village, get out of the area. I managed to get out of the area. I managed to travel the world and very very fortunate for those opportunities, made a tremendous amount of great people along the way. And I'm very very lucky. So when I was playing, as you know, I was always incredibly miserable. Nothing and nothing much has changed.
Speaker 3: That is true. You mentioned Andrew.
Speaker 1: You know, it's easy you look at your career you've only won twice. But you know, I coached Pat Perezum around Pad a lot, and everybody goes, oh, you've only won four times. And Pat always says we'll try winning once, right, And he says that because it's it's easy to look at.
Speaker 3: You have a.
Speaker 1: Career, you play, you know, you play for a very very long time. And I think the great ones, right, the Scottie Scheffler's of the worlds, the John Rahm's of the world, who win every single year, they win multiple times. They can somewhat somewhat make it look easy to be a perennial winner. It is incredibly, incredibly hard to win That's why when I look at this kid, you know, Ludwig Alberg, I mean, Ludpig's playing college golf.
Speaker 3: Six months ago. I mean he's playing college golf.
Speaker 1: Six months ago, and he's on a winning Ryder Cup team and then wins his first PGA Tour event. Okay, Obviously when you look at him, and I think everybody has seen this coming, right, and we got to see kind of his coming out party at the Ryder Cup in Rome to where he played fantastic and when he plays, you look at the stats, you look at this. I mean, it's no surprise that he has won the last tournament of the year based off of how he's played since he's turned pro, but that getting that first win is such a hard thing to do. How important, Andrew do you think it is from a playing standpoint to get a professional win on a tour early? What do you feel that does and what do you feel like are kind of some of the traps that you can fall into when you win early.
Speaker 3: I think we've.
Speaker 1: Seen that with with Matt Wolf Right, he won his second professional event, but he hasn't won a tournament four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's really interesting. Obviously, of course Lidwig. Right before the Ryder Cup, when there was pressure on and people were looking at him as a beck captain, Donald was saying, listen, this guy is good. I've played with him. You kind of going, well, that's all it's gonna be more. You know, where are the results? Where where are the numbers? And of course he hadn't played enough events for stat numbers for those sort of count but the European guys had been all over them and any one up the mountain and crown so sire on the DP world too. So he won that. I mean justin Rowe the great stars first that we use. I mean, he can't find anybody certainly the last eiry of forty years that has termed professional and one both on the PGA the PGA two and I don't yeah, I mean that that to be able to go out and do that is out of this world. It's just it's just sensational that he's managed to achieve that, and it's and it's great, and that it's all got to do with his upbringing. It's all got to do with the people run about him. It's all got to do with all the great work ethic at college and the state. It's all got to do with, you know, how he how he is with himself, and how he thinks about himself, and how he thinks about the game. And you know, as we've said, as we've said throughout this podcast with some of these players, you know, the sky really does appear to be the limit. Because one of the good things I like about all these guys, particularly over is that, you know, winning, winning for somebody could be the absolute icing on the case. And as a result of that, they could take the food off the gas and well, I'm a winner and I've achieved something that I didn't never have a thought was possible, and I've managed to do that, and you know that that could have an impact on it. These guys don't look like that. These guys look like, you know, they expected it. They expected it. If it wasn't going to happen soon, it was going to happen sooner or later. Nothing, It wasn't going to only take a long time to win. Now they've got the win under the belt, like it does look like they're going to kick on nobody. I guess only those closest to the likes of Matt Wolf would maybe know what it was like for him and how he was dealing with this new life. Because you are living in a goldfish bowl. You know, you can't hide away from everything your Your whole life is now under the microscope. I'm trying to think of someday. You know, Tom Lewis over here, did it in you? It be won in Portugal to think and one of his first g out and then struggle. Matt Wallace hasn't one for five years, a year that he won three just before the twenty eighteen Rider Cup. Comparently one car put the CanYa this year, but but it had taken him sort of five years before you get back into the winter circle. You know other other people, you know they can they can push too hard, too fast. They can they can you know, the expectation can be abud and if you expect too much without keeping yourself grounded, that can put an inordinate amount of pressure on yourself that that you know, that can constrict you. And as we know, when you play golf, you never want to feel tight, you never want to feel edgy. Some of the other things, of course, is that as we know, all the terrific facilities, you know they're there and they're around us, can get used, can get exploited players can They also start tinking a little bit with golf clubs. Somebody comes along now that they've won, and you know, their contracts up with a certain manufacturer, let's change equipment and it all. It all sounds juicy, and somebody's going to chuck a million bucks at you. You think that's great, but when you know, when you think about it, that million could actually cost you five. You know, maybe it's not such great business. So you know, there's loads, there's loads of those things that that they've got to look out for watch out form. But I would have thought based on what you know, Albert has achieved, and certainly the Hoy girls have achieved the doess enough people round about them. That's some that are pretty clued in to understand how all these things going to protect them from falling into these traps. But again the other thing is Claude, Wait, we've got to watch out and we're going to We're going to be measured with our expectations of these players. I mean, all birds had a fantastic career in a few months. You know, you know, he's got he's got twenty he's got twenty years out there at least, you know, let's let's not pile so much pressure them that the guy can't breathe. And that's something I think us, as you know, as the media, have a responsibility just to look out for a little bit.
Speaker 1: The obvious question with with lud big because he is so talented and has had this kind of me yorick rise. I mean, all of a sudden now people are saying, is the is he the next Tiger Woods? Is he the next Roy McElroy. That's a lot to put on a really young kid. And having gone through this as a player, how how how do you keep your feet on the ground Andrew, Because all of a sudden, now he's gonna get a lot of he's gonna get tons of media requests, he's got the limelight, he's gonna have companies throwing lots of cash at him. And he's had a breakout year in twenty twenty three. But to me, the big year for Ludwig Alberg is twenty twenty four. He's never played in the major before, he's a he's a winner on the PGA Tour. What do you see as the ceiling and what do you think his schedule is going to be.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I think you know, any any events that he's not eligible in, you know, everybody will want him to play in that team because he's a bit of a golden ticket. But he also is also an incredibly nice and choirman young kid, which which is you know, is also a fantastic attribute. His schedule will be very busy, he will have to deal with an awful lot of these questions because he's certainly not somebody that's going to be able to fly under the radar. Your great point, how did they react to a year like like last year? Very difficult to go better than that, but it wouldn't wouldn't surprise me if he is looking. Yeah, again, I don't want to do what I've just said we shouldn't do, but clearly the guy has got talent to win majors. He will, he will hopefully find his own pace. Well, like I said, he already he already seems to be very pragmatic. He already seems to be incredibly laid back. He wouldn't be able to have achieved what he's achieved in these last few months if he wasn't. Look, I think they understand now, you know, when when when I was playing, and it was all about, you know, if measuring the amount of top tens you had from a year to year, that's not how things have done now, you know, you measure performance on certain levels and on the tiny little minushai that a fantastic cycling coach over here was so David Brailsford was always talking about just you know, shaving tiny little bits off of here, and their tiny little improvements here are their main massive differences at the end, And there'll may be not that perspective, and they maybe don't necessarily mean that he'll jump up another couple of spots. Well he's going to because of where he started, but in the world rankings or whatever, but very very soon those things will start to take shape and take hold. Yeah, he's going to get an awful lot of opportunities. He's going to be someday that would be comfortable in major championship settling into those even looked like he took the pressures of the rider company stride. It's very very embryonic his career, and I think we just all need to sit back, not put any pressure on, not putting too much expectations on, and just just watch this. You know, watch this guy start the shine.
Speaker 1: Someone who has gone through what ludvig Aldberg is about to go through. Rory McElroy wins the Race for Dubai, which is the equivalent of the DP World FedEx Cup for the fifth time. He continues to be one of the most interesting people in our sport. Made the decision at the end of this and said last week he's going off the policy board on the PGA Tour. He has been, in my opinion, the PGA tour spokesperson for the last two years. I think they've asked him to do that. I think he volunteered for that. What kind of grade do you give Rory McElroy for twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, Yeah, that question was asked of him and he said seven out of ten. The horrible thing, the horrible thing for Rory is that you know, by the time he was twenty four, he'd won four majors.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's a burden. Culty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, I know, I know. I was just thinking, in fact, I forgot to ask him for a loan of five quick the other day there. But yeah, so so he's not done too badly for himself. Let's be honest. But everybody, all the all the guys talk about major championships being the measure, and you know, I know he will be incredibly disappointed. You know he actually in fact, you know, did he not? Did he not say back on the that full swing thing, that he's not one, He's not one another major for a while, and it feels like the next time he does it, it'll be like he's going to try and win the first major. So that just shows you what it's like. It's pretty tough to get to get back in that saddle again and and feel comfortable in it. But he did come close obviously the US Open La Country Club this year.
Speaker 1: What do you see, Andrew, because you follow I mean obviously for Sky, you do all the majors, you watch, you do a lot of American golf, you do all the European Tour golf. So you see Rory play a lot of golf, and you watch him play a lot of golf in the majors when you watch the way he played, and you watch the way he putted in Rome at the Ryder Cup, and you look at the way he has putted and played on Sunday when he's had chances to win majors in the last decade. I mean happy by Farrell was number one in the charts the last time he won a major on And that's how long ago this is. And I would have thought in fourteen when he won his last major, if we were in twenty three, I think conservatively, I would have thought the number would been at least ten. So what do you see when you watch him play? Because I think he is other than I never saw.
Speaker 3: Jack Nicholas play.
Speaker 1: I grew up watching Greg Norman and then Tiger, so I watched Tiger felt. I mean, I look at Rory McElroy and that's including Brooks and DJ that I've been lucky enough to work with other than Tiger Woods, I've never seen a player like him that has everything you could design.
Speaker 3: He's like DJ. Right.
Speaker 1: If you were going to design a golfer, you would design someone like DJ. Tall, hits at miles. If you were going to design a different type of golfer that wasn't six foot four, you would design Rory McElroy. Tons of speed, big, big heart, big guts, can shoot low. But why are we sitting on four majors for someone that is just so good?
Speaker 2: Look at yes, I think that that two things. I mean, we've got to be realistic sometimes you've got to be in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 3: But he's always in the hot for majors.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not like rarely is he not in the hunt when it.
Speaker 2: Came well, a few too many times he shot himself out of it and then come back in and created it. And that, you know, that to me, I think is him trying too hard and not allowing his game to because he knows how desperate you know, we all desperately want him to get back and the winner's trails. Nobody wants it more than he does, of course, because he knows he's going to continually get asked this question, and you know it's it's records and historian and all that stuff will mantle to him. And I think, you know, I mean, I'm just looking at it there. I mean, statistically, you know, he's the only person to have fifty four hole leader of major championship, one hundred and fiftyeth Open Championship, hit all greens in regulation and lose and that was because of Cameron Smith's absolutely brilliance. Although I We'll say again there was so many opportunities and the puttle, just the puttle.
Speaker 1: Just I couldn't believed. I couldn't believe at St. Andrew's by the time we got to the fifth old because DJ was a couple of groups in front, and I'm like, by the time we get out to the turn, Rory's going to have birdied four out of six, four out of eight. He's going to be making the run. And it didn't happen. Andrew with all of the landscape of where professional golf is and everything that's happened over the last two years, with the tour and live and kind of the professional golf world being turned upside down. I said earlier that Rory is is the spokesperson for the PGA Tour. He volunteered for that. They were happy for him to do that. But from a major standpoint, how much do you think everything that he's taken on board over the last two years has affected him when it counts, Because also he's going into every major championship press conference. Haven't answer the question you ever want a major in ten years? And when are you going to major? And then he's going into every press conference and people are going PG Tour live. That's a lot for one human being to have to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's exhausting, Claude, it's absolutely exhausting. I think he's I think his colleagues took advantage of him in that regard. You know, one or two of the others should have stepped up to the plate. It was noticeable by their absence that they didn't want to do that. Then then I look at somebody arguably the best that there's ever been, Tiger. Would Tiger River done that? I don't think so. He was there to do a job. His job was to focus on those events. But but let's be let's be honest here with this. Though Rory McElroy gives all of everybody in the media, you know, headlines and stories and something worth writing, because he is himself in those things. He doesn't he doesn't straight back to everything. He doesn't just give it the old cut cliches and look at his watch and wish to get out of there in thirty seconds. If there's a talking point in the game, he'll offer his opinion. And you know, we're almost taking advantage of that, that niceness about Rory McElroy. But but at the same time, he was doing that over the last two years. It was exhausting. He was looking around, nobody else was backing him up. As you quite rightly said, he was there to step into his office, and he was being called into the wrong kind of meetings at the wrong time. And and of course then ultimately as well as having stood there and did that, then all of a sudden, he was he was sideswiped by the by the announcement that that you know, they decided to sort of work together and amalgamate to look at the prospects of of putting things together, which I think came as a bit of a shock term. I think, I think this is the right move. I think this is absolutely the right move for him. It's it's it's a shame it's taken this long. But I've also got to take my hat off to him and say that respectfully, he did, he did what was expected of him in difficult times. And you know, yeah, again you've got to absolutely admire that matter. And I feel for Jordan who's now just taken that on, because Jordan's going to have to understand what that's like to deal with. And it's the questions are just insessant, Claude, These these major championships which mean the most to them. It's not the golfing press, it's the world's press, and the questions are just incessant and very very emotive and very very taxing.
Speaker 1: So twenty twenty three, given the landscape of everything that's happened, you are, I mean, you're a European tour guy, right, I mean you were never one of the guys that moved to You never moved to America. You played, you know, you didn't start in Europe and then play full time in the US. Where do we think the DP World Tour is in twenty twenty three? We've got these ten players now with this new system that are coming to the PGA Tour, which I'm excited to see what these players do. But there is a narrative out there that, given the kind of the way that Keith Pelly and the DP World Tour have kind of hitched their wagon to the PGA Tour, right, what where is the Where is the DP World Tour in twenty twenty three, and where do you think it goes in the next two three years?
Speaker 2: I think I think, maybe surprisingly to you, I think the DP World Tour is actually in a pretty strong place that, you know, the opportunity for these players, the strategic alliance that's that's available to both tours, you know, the package that we set up in order to to create that union, the amount of money that the DP World Tour players are playing for. Just now, the opportunity, as we've seen for ten to go over there to the PGA Tour. I think we get five, don't we from from outside the top one two, five or something from from the PGA Tour. I think come in at any one time to other it's an opportunity for them to get back onto the PGA Tour. I think, I think it is what it what it is. You know, we're kidding ourself. There's absolutely no way it can it can go toward at all with the PGA Tour, that's for sure. But I don't think the negative argument about being just a feeder tour for that is justifiable. It may look like that to some, but I think it's still a very very good, strong tour and it's own merit and hopefully as well. We'd like to see when the when the FedEx finishes, the FedEx Cup finishes over there in the PGA Tour. We'd like to think that you know, some of America's major stars would maybe like to cement the position in world golf by coming over to the DPA World too and proving it. We're certainly a very hospitable tour and we welcome these guys to come over, and we absolutely love them coming over. And if they want to play a little bit more like they didn't do at the Ryder Cup or just before the Ryder Cup, then then more than welcome to come along and do that.
Speaker 1: I knew I was going to ask you about the Ryder Cup. I knew i'd get you started. We did, we did some TV together. I mean, obviously, it looks like in hindsight, Luke got at one hundred percent right and Zach got a lot of things wrong. If if you could go back at the beginning of the week and advise Zach Johnson, hindsight's great. But going into that week, what do you think the US could have done differently excluding the fact that other than Dustin Johnson, nobody played golf in other than or excuse me, other than Brooks, nobody played golf, I mean, nobody played any golf.
Speaker 2: No. So so, first of all, that's alarming. I've got a question the players that have done that, because would they do that at any of their own individual major championships. Would they take that amount of time off just before one of their majors and think that it was honestly going to give a good account of themselves. No? Absolutely not. My other question is you've got Stuart Sink, Jim Fury, Davis Love the Thub Streves, Steve stre Zak, Johnson. I hope I've not missed anybody else out at least thirty couple five very couples. Of course, at least very five or something. It's ryder cups under under all, under all their belts and this task force. And no, nobody's going to hang on the second, lads, No, just's playing. Nobody's playing hang on a second? Why? Why is? Why is nobdy playing? I also want to question the players and say, why do you not want to play for these captains and vice captain? Shoot? You know, because this is not just about if you want to let yourself down, you can go ahead and let yourself down. I don't care, that's fine. The European's lapdot up. You want to let your teammates down, you want to let your captains down. Where's the respect for Zach Johnson and that task force that you can't be bothered playing for five weeks prior to our Ryder Cup. It's not just you you're letting down. What about the American fans? What about the people that paid the trip to get over there to Rome to support you, and you're only going to give it a half baked opportunity And it was no surprise it. Guess what, you started to play more like you can play at the end of the week when it was basically all but lost. I mean, I just don't understand. There is no sport that I know that any professional athlete would conceivably take that and much amount of time off before what is one of the biggest the Olympics or whatever, the winter, any of those things would conceivably take that kind of time off and and expect to perform anywhere near that optimum level. I thought it was really really poor.
Speaker 1: Why Historically, and I've talked about this in the past, but I'd love to get your opinion on this.
Speaker 3: We tend to want to have.
Speaker 1: Captains that have big personalities that that there's been a little bit of a move away from that with going to strict and stuff like that. But I think the europe the Europeans have excelled with captains that weren't necessarily super super superstars that didn't other than Faldo, and Faldo didn't do a great job because they got killed at Valhalla. But all of the other captains have kind of had this kind of under the radar approach. And why do you think that works? And what do you think the US could take from that? Because there's this thing that we've got to take proven, proven winners as our Ryder Cup captains, right right, We've got to take all these guys that have won multiple majors. They've got to be icons, they've got to be you know, bonafide, you know, Hall of famers, and we don't see that. I mean, we just don't see that from the Europeans.
Speaker 3: And why does it work?
Speaker 2: I mean that's centially well, first of all, First of all, before we talk about the captains, you've got to take twelve players that want to play for your red, white and blue, right because I'm seeing what I see is that that's not the case. There might be there might be ten of them that might have been the case this year, might be nine I'm not seeing twelve players that want to play for you. Guys had a team two years ago Whistling Straits that were meant to dominate for ten years. Now I know you were. You were arguably more depleted because of Live than the European Tour. But the European Tour DP World two this year had guys informed at Whistling Straights. We didn't. But you need to get twelve players that want to play. I can't stand listening to some of these multimillionaires bitching that they're pitching up at a Ryder Cup and somebody's not paying me any money for it. It's just there's something there's something wrong with your psychic and personally, I wouldn't have anybody in my team even if they qualified, they did not want to play for the Red, White and Blue. I find it disgraceful. You go to the DP World Tour, every single man will bleed for that team. They will pay to play a Rider Cup, not the other way around. And until you sort that out, you always going to be up against it. Then let's talk about the captains. Look, a major winner doesn't make a good captain. You know, a great golfer doesn't make a good coach. You've got to be able to talk to players. You've got to able to to be the the you know, the the glue that holds everything together. You've got to be able to take the time to understand all the players what makes them to Paul McGinley are a very challenging one with Victor Dubison, Who's who's an interesting character and McGinley managed to work that out. Sometimes if if you're the big man, it's one this one that won the next thing, then then the Ryder Cup can be about them, not about the players, not about the match, not about the team. I still I still thought that. Look, I don't think Zach Johnson necessarily did a terrible job. I don't think he's players pitched up and and like I said, it doesn't matter how don't listen. You can be you could be the best cat in all but if your players don't pitch up and forget about it.
Speaker 1: So Coulty, if you're the US, who do you pick for the next Ryder Cup Captain?
Speaker 2: Well, you're asking You're asking me an honest question rather than what I go to Johnson again, who do we pick for the Well? Look, I mean, doesn't have to be well, it doesn't have to be taking no absolutely hot, well how can it? How how can it not be Tiger? But then again, is you know, is that look look the players played from at the President's cub when he went when they went down to Australia. If any player, if any player doesn't step still and listen to every single breath that Tiger would make when he's talking to them, then the person needs that head looked at. If you can't respect that mane, you can't respect anybody. So against what I've just said about, you know, some day that's achieved so much, and that guy commands the room every single time he walks in there, and I would absolutely hope, for damn certain the next time up there in Rochester that twelve players want to bleed for that man and for your country.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Andrew, it's been a crazy two years. Is the merger going to happen? Is the merger not going to happen? We've got TGL now being postponed to twenty twenty five, We've got Live that still at the airing of this doesn't have a schedule out Where the hell is professional golf this time? Next year, give me, give me what your wants are, and then give me what you think will happen.
Speaker 2: I that's another good question. I I want things to come to come together much more sort of globally. I think I think everybody does. I don't you know, Live went away and did what it did. I think, you know, with Jimmy down and and and the people over there trying to trying to get everybody to talk, I think that's a sensible way forward, everybody involved together to to to give up, to give a product that you know that is worthy of all that money that's that's being chucked around. I think the difficult thing at the minute is when everybody's trying to combat everybody else, there isn't the money there to carry on doing that. And and that's that's going to be an issue. And so you know, at some at some point as sooner that gets sorted and things get tied up, the better for everybody, because at the minute, the way it's going, despite what all these players think, you know, in in both America and certainly over here in Europe, there is absolutely not a bottomless pit of money that they can tap into. And if if the game is going to be expanding any well near the rate that it has done, then absolutely everybody needs to sit around the table and and and and talk. Again. You know, the morality aspect of it with me, I can't get because you know, we're all using plastics here and there and everything and derivatives of of of petroleum. So it's it's a difficult argument that to have. But you know, we all need to. Everybody everybody does does business and and money talks and and you know we need to we need to do things before that that cash starts to run out.
Speaker 1: I think regardless of what side of the PGA Tour Live Battle you're on, and I think everybody is kind of entrenched and isn't moving from that. But one of the things that I think has been kind of cool that Lay has brought back into people talking about was the massive success of their trip down to Australia and playing in Adelaide. You won twice on the Australasian Tour. I think international golf, you're hearing Rory talk now more about we need more tournaments internationally. You know, it was the running joke that all the WGCs were basically the World Golf Championships were all in the US. I think one of the things that Lives maybe shone a light on is taking golf to places that maybe don't get to see great players and I would love to see. I think it's great that the PGA Tour is the Scottish Open is a PGA Tour event. I think it would be great to have some bigger PGA Tour events outside the United States, because I mean, the PGA Tour has been so America centric that it's like all the decisions just get for what happens in the US, and I think it's cool. One of the cool things for us in Australia that went down to Live Andrew was the fans had never seen that many good players, that many good players in one place. I mean, all over the world you get tournaments to where they bring in some of the big guns. That's been going on forever. But I think to take a full field PGA to our designated event to somewhere in Australia, the crowds and the people, it would be.
Speaker 2: Amazing well one hundred percent. But the problem I've always seen up until Live being able to do what it's done is we create the monster for ourselves you know, these animals cry out for more money, we give them more money. Then when you give them the more money, you go, I'm not doing that unless you give me more money. And all of a sudden, all of a sudden, they put themselves in a position where they go, well, and you know, I don't have to go over there because I'm quite comfortable over here. So somewhere along that line, a commitment drawn up by the players has to be that, yes, they will travel. You have to, you know, do it for the You know, if you believe all this retric this rubbish that comes out of the mouth, do it for the game. Then let these kids in all these far flung countries actually see what it's like, top quality, best players going head to head. That kind of production would be sensational. The world would want that. What I've seen over the last twenty thirty years too many players that have been paid everything they want, and when push comes to shop, they then go, no, I'm not doing that now, I'm not wearing a hat.
Speaker 3: He just lost his hat sponsored Do you see that?
Speaker 2: No? Did he?
Speaker 1: Gold Patrick Can'tley, Goldman Sachs not renewing for twenty twenty four on the hat.
Speaker 3: We think about that.
Speaker 2: Well there you go, well there you go. I just that's that's maybe they just couldn't find enough material. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Quickly Scottie Shuffler, is he gonna get this putting turned around? I mean, this kid, I mean, this kid is playing. He is so much fun to watch play golf. And I don't I mean, Brooks played a couple of practice rounds with him at the at the at the Ryder Cop and I I haven't seen him. I'm seen him a close in about a year. But yeah, he's impressive, man, I mean he is is legit impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I want I'm want to turn the clock back a little bit. You know when when I mean when he first came out and people thought thought he was good, and then then he then he he just you know, went like an exossy, like a rocket, this right up to the stars. He was sensational. Then again, like we talked about with with Ludvegg, you know, how did he react? How did he react? He went even better and he became world's number one, and he absorbed it and he took it in his stride and he was sensational. Because that must be impossible almost to deal with it, and he was. He was absolutely stunning. And how he handled that and what what is required of him to be worlds Number one golfer. We've then going on to see him, you know, play at such such a level, you know, I mean that record what was over seventeen strokes gained at the players this year. He hit seventy six percent of greens in regulation this year. This guy's a stud, an absolute stud. And I'm almost in tears at watching him walk off a golf course not getting anything like what he deserves with the quality of golf that he plays. And it is interesting that well, I think it's maybe started to happen now where he's almost focusing on that so much that it's becoming a bit of an issue. I think he stuck with a putter for such a long time. I mean, the definition of insanity is you keep doing the same thing over and over and over again and eventually and expecting to change, and it doesn't. You know, just change, Just change for five minutes, just change for a round, and just get something different. Subsequently, the event he then did change and nothing much happened. But I do not want I do not want to see him have to suffer on the greens like he has done in the last couple of years, and and I don't know what it is. I mean, I saw Rory do it briefly for a couple of years when he looked like he was scrutinizing every single blade of grass on the green, trying to hit the perfect part and forgetting just about putting. And I started to look thing that that Scotty looks like he's trying to do something similar. He's trying to perfect butt. He struggles a wee bit with pace. And when the pace is off, it doesn't matter whether you pick the line, the balls not going on the on the path that you're going to send it in. But you know, in the in the in the New Years, in the New Year's wish list, you know you wish for Scottish chefer to actually find something in the greens, just to get get something out of this game that that quality of golf deserves.
Speaker 1: Well, Andrew, we could talk for another couple of hours on everything. Always great to get your take. Two things I want I want from you before we leave, best Scottish hangover cure.
Speaker 2: Well, just another drink, just keep going just just whatever it was from last night, just just just just fill up again.
Speaker 1: My go to when I lived in Glasgow was a bottle iron brew and square sausage sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I'd go for whiskey again.
Speaker 1: Last thing I want you to do for all our listeners, Andrew repeat this phrase, shaken not stirred. Give it to us.
Speaker 2: Yes, dear boy, how would you let you? I'll have my shaken not stop.
Speaker 1: If the golf thing doesn't pan out the Sean Connery impersonations. You can make make a good living doing that, mate.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's very kind.
Speaker 3: Good to see a pal. Hope we'll catch up soon.
Speaker 1: And you're doing a great job at Scott keep it going.
Speaker 2: Thanks Paul, Love you mate. You take care Okay, all of that, bud.
Speaker 1: So that was Andrew Coltart and listen. I'm lucky enough to to spend a lot of time over the course of each year with Andrew, and he has his finger on the pulse of not only the professional game, but specifically what is going on with European golf. Like I said, played on a Wryder cop one on the DP World. He's won all over the world and really really one of the great voices in golf. I want to thank everyone for listening to the pod. If you haven't gone back and looked at some of the old episodes, We've got some great ones with some great guests, and as the winter months are coming, there's definitely guests that can help you with your golf game and keep an eye on my social Over the next couple of weeks, we're going to be doing some giveaways. But I can't thank everybody enough for listening. The pod continues to do well and I continue to be surprised how many people listen. Son of a Butcher comes to you every Wednesday.
Speaker 2: We will see you next week.