Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so much for that. It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: We were on right.
Speaker 6: With Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Tuesday, October twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number fifty five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We are through with our mashup week and I got my normal crew back here with We got Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, Amber Mayor may not be joining us, but uh, but we're gonna hold it down. We got we got three voices here that can give you guys some good opinions. Uh. We got some things we can hit today, and we're gonna start first with Jerry Jones. Jerry Jones was on with our sister station here this morning in the local market one oh five dot three the Fan, Sean and r.
Speaker 2: J and Bobby.
Speaker 7: So I hate that they don't give Bobby his love. Give Bobby his love and Bobby and they had a you might as well give Peyton some love too. But anyway, you uh that he was on with them this morning.
Speaker 8: Excuse me.
Speaker 7: A couple of quotes that I have from him that I want to get some reaction from you guys. The first quote that I that I thought was interesting, he was talking about, uh, the trade deadline.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, and uh.
Speaker 7: And his quote was, I would really extend to improve our team right now because I think we have a team that's a contender.
Speaker 8: That was interesting to me.
Speaker 7: Now he also went on to say, and I don't have the quote in front of me, but he went on to say that it has to come from the other team. And if you know Jerry, I know Sean dived into the question, which he should have it great follow up question. So why is that the case? If you know Jerry, you've heard this year after year after year. It's negotiating power. He thinks of it as like, if he's the one making the phone call, he loses his leverage. If someone else is making the phone call, they're calling and they are in a compromise, negotiating position. That's the way he looks at negotiations, and so that's why he does it that way. I guess my question for you guys is just react to his statements not only about kind of how he looks at it, but also the fact that he says he's willing to extend himself a little bit, And what are your thoughts there.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's exactly what you said. And I had this conversation right before the show with Nick Harris, and he was, you know, asking if I thought it was a leverage situation, and I do, because you know, Jerry Jones, the consummate deal making, the consummate businessman, an entrepreneur. He doesn't want to show any kind of weakness to potential you know, suitors and those that he's going to have conversations with. So that completely makes sense and we're accustomed to that. But I think it's also true that this Cowboys roster is price versus pressure. So if you look back a few years ago, the wide Receiver by committee situation failed miserably and it was the same Jerry Jones where you know you're gonna have to call me, You're going to have to call me, but didn't blink when it came time to toss a first round pick onto the table for the Raiders to get a Marty Cooper. Now you fast forward. Now, if you lose Treyvon Diggs and Deron Bland isn't able to step into that role, and or Jeordyan Lewis isn't completely back physically, if you lose Lve and then you don't see Marquise Bell play out of his mind against Los Angeles and DeMont Clark step up. If you know, when you were down three offensive line starters, if those young guys didn't step in and show they could do something. I say all of that to say, I think the Cowboys feel comfortable with where they are roster wise. Could they stand to upgrade, absolutely at certain positions, but they're not pressed to do so. So I don't think while I agree that Jerry Jones is using it as leverage, I really think that excuse me, I really think there's also truth in the fact that he just doesn't feel pressed to make that move right now, so it probably will have to be someone calling them. I think they're going to call out and put feelers and things like that. But as far as the price goes, uh, it has to be something that is palatable for them. It's not. They're not giving a first round pick away for anybody based on the needs or lack the roof of this current roster.
Speaker 1: I miss reckless Jerry Jones. I missed the guy I worked for when he just would go out and say, you know, we're gonna we're gonna do We're gonna do this, We're gonna get to we're gonna do. Give two for Joey Galloway, I don't care. We'll throw in an extra six to get it time.
Speaker 5: Then you get a Roy Williams wide receiver.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: But that's that, you know what. To me, that's that's that's part of it, you know what. And I say that in if he had Will McLay in this pro department instead of me sitting in that chair, he might have been better off. He might have been better off the times where we talk about a Roy Williams or a Joey Galloway or one of those those times, you know, maybe we misevaluated those guys.
Speaker 3: Not maybe we did. I mean, we paid too much for those guys, you know. But if you have a.
Speaker 1: Current group of pro scouts, college scouts, the expertise of Will McLay here, Jerry Jones has a right to stand at that table and hold those dice, you know. With me, yeah, pushing the chips in there might have been a little bit more of you know, maybe a little bit more of a gamble. But you have a department that knows what the hell they're doing. And to me, I miss that evaluate. I miss him stepping up and saying we've got to get better.
Speaker 3: Here, we got it.
Speaker 1: And I'm not acting asking to be a reactionary to what the Philadelphia Eagles did with with with going to get because you know, there's things with Bayer that that are you know, he's a he's a good player, He's not what he was five years ago. He's okay in the run, he's good in coverage. You know, those are things that will help Philadelphia. But I would like to see Jerry Jones if the Pro Department comes to him with names and says, Boss, we could do it with this guy, or we could make we could shore up this problem, or we can add.
Speaker 3: This corner here.
Speaker 1: You know, I think he's better equipped than he was twenty five years ago with me sitting in that chair, and so I would take the gamble. If I'm Jerry Jones, you know, and I understand responsibility and how much we love the draft and all that, but this, this NFC is wide damn open right now. You look at what's going on in San Francisco. They're starting to get banged up. Minnesota. There's some teams that are started off poorly. There probably gonna play some better football.
Speaker 3: You gotta be.
Speaker 1: Ready for when that happens. This conference is for the take it. This Super Bowl run is for the take it. Look what's happening in Buffalo. Look what's happening in some of these other teams. One in five teams finding a way.
Speaker 3: The beat teams are playoff ready.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm if I'm Jerry Jones eighty years old, Jerry Jones, I'm not waiting for anybody. He always says it himself, don't Tom, I don't have time for a good time. I need to get this thing done now. And if it puts Steven and Will and those guys in kind of a bad position, you know, well we got to do something here.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying it at a desperation.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it as I miss the days of Jerry Jones just saying, the hell with it, Let's go get this guy and see what happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the way I look at it, I agree with both of you guys, And I think from the standpoint of you almost want to see Jerry just say and it goes to this point, I think this is actually what he's saying. He's saying, i'd really extend myself because I think I got a really good team.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to see him push all the chips into the table.
Speaker 7: I kind of want to see him say, if you see the right player out there, and I'm going to ask you guys this question in a second, but if you see the right player out there, whatever the position is that you feel like, man, if we get this guy, it puts us over the top, and you got to spend the first rounder for him.
Speaker 8: Spin the first rounder.
Speaker 7: I think you've got a team that's right there on the cusp, and like you said, the NFC is there for the taking. But right now, I think most people would believe you're a little bit beyond. And that's actually we'll get to another quote that Jerry had. They're a little bit below where maybe the forty nine ers or the Eagles are right now, is there that player out there that can push you over the top? And that's kind of where you want to see Jerry back up those words and say, Okay, extend yourself, let's go get that guy.
Speaker 5: I think for me what lessons it a little bit is having seen them in the same offseason go out and get a guy like Gilmour, go out and get a guy like Brandon Cook's and you did it again in the same offseason. That's not something that we've kind of seen in these past several offseasons. So it shows that there is, you know, the willingness for Jerry to go out there and say, you know what, I'm going to address this and this now again. Could it still you know, could they stand to upgrade the roster at certain spots as far as going od with it, just overdosing and saying, Okay, even though we have this and this and this and this guy's working out well, and this guy's working out well, but they're not that guy, which is kind of leading to your question, Yeah, you could always go out there and do that question. Being how comfortable is a team that's that drafts so well and puts so much stock into drafting, having already given up a fifth of fifth a fourth right, So that comes into the conversation as well. So I'm just I'm curious as far as what you think they would happen.
Speaker 3: I love fishing.
Speaker 1: I love fishing more than anything, And every time I fish, I throw something really big out there, and I hope that a fourteen or fifteen pound bass jumps on that lure. But I throw something really big because I'm trying. I'm trying to catch a big damn fish. You know, I'm trying to find a way to win this win this division. I'm trying to find a way to win the conference. I'm trying to find a way to get to the super Bowl with the team I currently have. So I feel like, you know, I'm not worried about a four or five and a six. I'm not worrying about those picks. I'm not I'm gonna throw, you know, if the right players out there. All I'm asking is Steven Jones allow Jerry the latitude that if the Pro Department comes to him and says, boss, we got a call on this. They called us on this, or maybe you're fishing, maybe you're going to throw the chum in the water and try and get the big fish here. Maybe you're calling somebody that might be you're hearing some whispers that they're interested in moving on from a guy. It never hurts to pick up the phone and make that call. I know, Jerry says, from point of leverage, but he's got a chance to If they identify the right guy or two, it could put this team into a great position for you know, and I use for example, the team to just here in Dallas, to just got to the World Series of the Texas Rangers, Chris Young, the general manager, made two huge deals.
Speaker 3: Right at the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: You know, he went out and got Montgomery, and he went out and got shirs Er Sures got nicked up. You know, that's unfortunate. He's trying to pitch his way back. But Montgomery has pitched so well in the playoffs. It's got them to the World Series. The Rangers didn't have that before the trade deadline. You know, sometimes you just have to say, damn it, we're gonna go do this, and you know, nobody will fault. Nobody fault now if you want to fault what we did in the early two thousands, absolutely, absolutely you know, gave up some pick, maybe identified the wrong guy. Maybe Roy Williams didn't work out, maybe Joe Galloway didn't work out, maybe Amari Cooper didn't work.
Speaker 3: Out like you thought. But you know what, damn it. We tried.
Speaker 1: We tried to make a difference here. That word and that's well, I'm just saying, well to them, it may became personal. Yeah, became personal there, and we all understand that.
Speaker 5: I'm no, and that's fine.
Speaker 3: I just yeah, So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You're better equip to go and identify players now then you work twenty five years ago when Jerry was just throwing, you know, throwing the dice at the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I will say this, over the last two years, they've actually gotten some players in trades that have been players, players for their team.
Speaker 8: Listen to the last five.
Speaker 7: You had Cooks, you had Gilmour, you had Hankins, you had Trey Lance here recently, and you had dig Monaghany. No obviously with Igmannoganty that was a toss up. Yeah, you're getting rid of your guy. It wasn't working for a guy that wasn't working. To see if one of y'all could figure it out and make it work. So you just you take that as you take it. But you look at those other guys and those are the kinds of trades that we had seen. Philly traditionally do those kinds of trades where it's like it's a good timing. The guy may not be at the top, but he's still pretty dog on good he can add something to our team. I think the difference is Philly has also done those deals like the aj Brown deal where they gave up significant capital. Go get a guy that is.
Speaker 3: In his prime.
Speaker 7: Right That's where I'm like, if Dallas can identify that kind of player right now, a guy that's in his prime that you're willing to spend that first round or on. He can help you now, but he's also going to help you down the road as well. Yeah, that's the kind of move I would love to see them made.
Speaker 5: But then I was going to say this to that point, stepping into the role of Devil's advocate. If a guy's in his prime, then you have to look at contractually, when is he coming do Because in house you have some horses coming. Do you got Ceedee Lamb coming? Do you got Michael Parsons come and do You're likely going to give this extension to Deck, another extension to dek Prescott. You got some hogs, come and do so if a guy is in his prime and there are a couple of names that are floating around in my head, but yeah, you grab those guys and that's wonderful because you got to go. I'm what you one hundred percent, Brian, Seize the moment, Seize the moment, because these moments. That's their motto, that's carbamnia. Seize everything, seize the moment. So I'm with you on that. I'll do it. But I'm saying as far as uh, laying out all the variables of the conversation, that's another variable of it, and saying, Okay, you're going you give up this, you know, premium capital and premium conversation for this guy. You better if you do it, you better make sure you were able to keep that guy and pay that guy and the guys that have proven that they deserve to be paid in house as well.
Speaker 7: I'm willing to even accept and I know it's easy for me to say because it ain't my money, but I'm willing to accept the fact that I might put myself in a little bit of a cap strapped situation down the line always because I look at my team right now and I'm like, man, I don't know that I'm gonna have a better shot than I have right now.
Speaker 5: Oh you could go.
Speaker 7: I'm going to go push all the chips in and see what happens. And as you said, Brian, if it doesn't work, at least I didn't go down.
Speaker 8: I went down swinging right.
Speaker 3: I think fans would appreciate the fact that you gave it a go. You know, it's better.
Speaker 1: You know, the fans do not want you to sit there and not do anything when you realize that maybe you have an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Everybody's looking at these games they're watching.
Speaker 1: They don't see dominant teams playing in the National Football League. I'll say this and I'll remind you. I think we're going up on the year of when the forty nine ers made the trade for Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 3: You know what did they do.
Speaker 1: They sat there and looked at Christian McCaffrey, and they're going, this guy's often hurt.
Speaker 3: He's going to miss six seven games. He didn't miss anything.
Speaker 1: Guys playing with an oblique problem and if he was in Carolina, he would have missed six weeks with them, you know, But he played Goes to San Francisco and now he scored sixteen, sixteen consecutive games with the touchdown. Those are the kinds of trades when you can identify what you need, the type of player, the compensation, and make it work. That's all you as a fan, that's all you can ask for for the organization. Nobody cares about your cap problems. Nobody cares. Nobody cares. They want you to win games, you know. They want you to compete for playoff wins and championships and stuff. They don't have time to hear you like, well, you know, we've got these players and no offense. Patrick, I don't want to hear about paying Dak or paying these guys. I know it's part of the game. But teams figure it out every damn day. We thought Philadelphia was going to be just demoralized in their cap situation, they went out and resigned all their guys. You know, I don't want to hear about the cap problems for any teams anymore.
Speaker 3: You figure it out.
Speaker 1: There's teams that the Packers are awful right now, you know why they're carrying forty eight million dollars a dead cap. Fine, but they got rid of Aaron Rodgers, and they're learning about their quarterback and if they're bad enough, they'll draft a quarterback in this draft. I don't want to hear about cap problems and financial physical responsibility. I want to hear about wins and going forward and making this thing work when you have a chance to put this thing to bed.
Speaker 5: And I want to be clear, and no offense to me because I'm not taking a fence because we're actually on the same page here. I'm on record all over the place is saying I don't really care about CAP. I think CAP is a myth for the most part, because when you look at the Drew Brees years in New Orleans, right, cap magic every year they just figure out a way to manipulate the cap. There's always a way to manipulate the cap. I'm just simply saying, as far as the Cowboys mindset, you can one believe that they're upstairs upstairs having that part of the conversation. So I agree with you. You know, I'm simply saying, from the fans that are listening, you just got to know if you're wondering, what's the conversation upstairs, that's part of the nose.
Speaker 1: They hate what I'm saying right now. They absolutely I'm going to get a text after somebody listen to this and they're gonna tell me you're full of s right now, Brian, But.
Speaker 2: You know what they're gonna say. The CAP's a real thing, and by the way.
Speaker 3: For it is a real thing.
Speaker 1: And they talk about spreadsheets and projecting out and who you have to pay and all that. But there's also a time where you have to I'm not worried about twenty twenty seven. I'll be sitting at the lake House in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: You can talk twenty nine.
Speaker 1: You can worry, you can worry, you can worry about bevinne Get's out of school text.
Speaker 2: I need a couple more years.
Speaker 1: I'm about to say it, But that's that's kind of where I'm at right now. And I think fans are that way right now. You know, they don't want to hear about your cat problems. They don't want to hear about who you're just saying. That's one of the great things about it is they've done a great job of drafting, and they'll always let your draft, even if you have cat problems. Are gonna let your draft. They're not taking drafts away from you.
Speaker 3: You know that's there. You know you can find a way to go get young players.
Speaker 1: If you have to get rid of veteran guys that cost you millions and millions of dollars, you could find a younger player like a Tyler Smith to play tackle for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know you can move on from God.
Speaker 5: That reminds me of a It was actually a pretty fun and interest in conversation and debate that was within Cowboys Nation on Twitter. I want to say, a few months ago, where was this No, I'm gonna yeah, this was I know what it was, rare, toxic. Yeah, but I was. I was sitting there and I just happened to be scrolling the timeline and I saw somebody posy very good question. Uh. And the question was if you had to go through the arc that the La Rams are going through, which as you throw everything at the wall and you get this, are you no? Are you then going to be understanding and know that once you do that, you're probably going to rebuild in a couple of years thereafter, And you're going to go through the rebuilding process. How how long would your rope be? Where's your patients at? In that capacity? So the question wasn't would you be yes, I was.
Speaker 1: I was in my twenties the last I say, take that back, I was in my thirties the last time this team won a Super Bowl or went to a NFC Championship game.
Speaker 3: I'm fifty nine years old now. No.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 5: The question wasn't would you trade one for the other. The question was, be honest with yourself, how patient would you be during the rebuilds?
Speaker 3: Patient?
Speaker 7: I would be the coosition that draft. Well, here, that would be when I got to the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys were coming off of they were at the it was ninety nine, nineteen ninety Yeah, so I went through three back to back, five and eleven seasons I was with Campo. Right, that's my I will tell you this, If you tell me what's your patience level, I would go if they could promise a championship this year, They're going to go all in and it gets them a championship for the next ten years of my career, I'm good.
Speaker 5: That was That was the question. The question is what's your window.
Speaker 7: Twenty you tell me I won't be around for all those years. What I'm saying is that one year when you get to have that magical ride, look at it right now, like you look at I was watching last night Rangers fans on social media, the elation, the joy like as a fan, and I remember two thousand and five when the when the Longhorns won the national championship. There is as a fan, there is nothing better than when you're.
Speaker 8: Praised my dog's goals all the way to the top.
Speaker 5: It is, I can't break this.
Speaker 2: Y'all got it, y'all.
Speaker 8: Got y'all get plenty of them.
Speaker 2: I'm not worried about you.
Speaker 8: You get plenty of yours.
Speaker 7: But I'm just saying, like, when you can, when your team can do that, it is just the feeling is unlike any other when it comes to court s fandom. And that's why I say for most fans, I'm not gonna say all, but I would say for the vast majority of fans, they would be like, you tell me how many years we got to go without for another chance?
Speaker 2: That was I will go without.
Speaker 7: The question was what's your window? I don't care, I said, it could be fifteen. It can be twenty. I'm saying, you tell me it can be unlimited. I just want that one. I want that one opportunity working in this building to go all the way to a champions.
Speaker 5: Yep, no, we all want it. It was just an interesting question on Twitter because the question was, what's your window? What's your window after if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl? Right now we're feeling good, what's your window is it two years after you win the Super Bowl? Five, ten, fifteen, where you're still good with that particularly and.
Speaker 7: Are over fifty, So we're like, it doesn't have to happen ever again in our lifetime.
Speaker 5: We just want that one, want that one. I'm I was like two to three years, I started itching again. After a couple of years, I'm like, okay, we got here, we gotta get back. I was on the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Winning team in ninety six.
Speaker 1: I think we got a thirty year reunion coming up here pretty soon for that thing. But that's what it lives on forever, right, It lives on forever. But the thing about it is a fan, you just want the one opportunity. There's a fan base. There's a group of Cowboy fans.
Speaker 3: Around the world.
Speaker 1: They've never seen this, They've never seen how great you were in the early nineties. Trust me, I got my ass kicked plenty of times by that team. That those were great football teams. You know, you would you would, you would do anything anything, And that's where I thought Jerry Jones.
Speaker 3: I thought Jerry Jones was at that at that point right now, and maybe he still is.
Speaker 1: But maybe there's people up there that are not like his nuts and crazy, like I am trying to just will this thing to go and go make a move.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying it has to be the right movie. It has to be.
Speaker 1: But I trust their pro department more than when I trust myself twenty some odd years ago when we were trading guys for first round picks.
Speaker 7: My personal thought is I think he is thinking like that. I think that's where that comment came from. But I also know Jerry the negotiator. Yeah, he can't say that publicly. He can't tell people how desperate he is. And I say that desperate not in a bad way, but in a way of if he sees the right opportunity, I don't think there's a limit to how much he's willing to go I think to get that guy in if he sees the right opportunity.
Speaker 3: Jerry is really good at listening.
Speaker 1: And I think if Will and Henry Schroka and those guys in the Pro Department and all those Alex Loomis, those guys come forward and say, boss, we got this guy, we got this guy, we can maybe maybe we can work this out.
Speaker 2: I think Jerry would say, damn it. If we feel that good about let's go.
Speaker 5: Book and let's go.
Speaker 1: I'm sat in the room when he's looked at him and said let's go, let's let's go, and everybody's like, yeah, let's go. You know, but this they it has to be the right guy. It has to be the one that can make the difference. But you know, but anything, you're just giving your fan base a reason to say they're committed.
Speaker 3: They're committed right now to try.
Speaker 1: And but you know what, it looks like team in Philadelphia is a little bit more committed than you right now, a little bit more trying to go out. And I'm not saying Kevin Byron is gonna be a huge get for them, but it looks like that there are six to one team that's trying to get a little stuff.
Speaker 7: All right, we're gonna take our first break. When we come back, we're gonna hear Aber's opinion on this. I'm sure that's gonna take the next segment, and then we'll get to some lap code in the final segment.
Speaker 8: We'll be back Dallas, Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 6: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's our mascot d He cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking app.
Speaker 10: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 5: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive, Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 3: It's only available in the English language.
Speaker 1: You must download the latest version of the Mobile banking app, only available on SELEC mobile devices.
Speaker 3: Message dat rags apply remember FDIC.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 6: But what's the right gift that says thanks for beinging the soldier to cry out.
Speaker 4: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Dear equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break, Hey, how about this one?
Speaker 1: The Salvation Army's twenty siventh annual Red Kettle Kickoff returns to AT and T Stadium this Thanksgiving. Get excited to watch the one and only Dolly Parton.
Speaker 3: Man, She's from my era.
Speaker 1: Rock the stage during the halftime when your Dallas Cowboys go ahead to head to head with the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: Tune in at three point thirty pm on.
Speaker 2: CBS Welcome back it is Joline. I love Joline, Jolie own Jolie.
Speaker 8: Awesome. I love that song on the radio we talking.
Speaker 2: That's the only one I noticed he does it.
Speaker 8: I actually like love nine. Yeah, that one's kind of that's so commercial.
Speaker 2: But I love Jolie's a pretty song.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a sad song too. But the other day on the unradied we're talking about Lucis called it Darlene.
Speaker 3: He goes, yeah, didn't you do a song called Darlene? I said, Jolene? He goes right, All.
Speaker 5: Right, welcome back.
Speaker 7: It is the seconding live from the SWBC Mortgage studios. At the start of this segment, brought to you by Block Jane dot Com and joining the show right now this Amber Garcia, who is making us all feel horrible.
Speaker 2: Because you should.
Speaker 7: She went out today and she's been serving the community, serving the community out there.
Speaker 9: Hard labor made a difference today, So smile h.
Speaker 5: It was fun.
Speaker 9: Actually, Sam Williams, yeah I heard Sam was out there. He yeah, he was helping. He actually did some He did some tough work too.
Speaker 3: Did you trick him into doing your job? That's the kid.
Speaker 9: No, everyone everyone pulled their weight. Everybody was out there sweating, and then we got showered with rain.
Speaker 2: So you had a cool off.
Speaker 3: That's perfect.
Speaker 10: There you go.
Speaker 9: Yeah, sure, after I got done this morning.
Speaker 3: Nothing like working at the end of October and it's ninety degrees there.
Speaker 7: You go, that's Texas. Hey, real quick, before we move on, I did want to give you an opportunity to chime in on that. Patrick set up this really interesting question of what would be your window that you would be okay the Cowboys not being very good if they can get a championship, if they mortgage the future and got a championship. What's that window that you give them kind of a greenlight that it's okay that you're not going to be very good?
Speaker 9: What was your time?
Speaker 5: Two years?
Speaker 3: Two years?
Speaker 9: I think I think I'm more. I joined in towards the end and I heard Derek and I heard Brian. Hey, I'm with you, guys. I'm not ass old, but I sure right, I sure experienced life like you guys.
Speaker 3: Though it's my yeah that.
Speaker 5: Can come out of it.
Speaker 9: But no, no, I mean again, most people that have listened to that, have been listening to the show or following me know already that I started following the NFL as soon as I started working with the Cowboys. I wasn't very aware of the sport really or know anything about it, And as soon as I got into it, started understanding it and being a part of it and covering the teams. But year two, remember this is around the time that Tony got hurt and we were going shuffling, going through quarterbacks and all of that. So I'm experiencing that, and that's what I think the game is. It's just part of the game, you know. And as we progress and go year after year, and now I'm sitting hearing like around year ten, I'm like, oh my god, Like, how do fans from when the last time they wont have been able to absorb and deal with this for so long because this is very stressful and I absolutely hate it. And we go through it, through all the emotions, and every year when it ends, okay, you're upset, you're mad, whatever, and then you start back up. I think there is new hope, go through the training camp, see new things, which this year I was like, I'm not gonna be naive and allow myself to go through that. But I really thought starting out the season, I really thought we had everything in place. The only thing kicker figure go figure that, yeah, yeah, exactly, the only one constant. So it's just one of those things that I will be more than happy if it happens.
Speaker 5: One it happens this year, what's that window.
Speaker 9: Yes, because I'm running out of time. With your window, you never know what tomorrow Britain's so it better happened this year and I'm waiting for it. My window is I don't care. Let me just go to a parade once and experience that, because it's different.
Speaker 5: Than you said for like the next fifteen, twenty year whatever.
Speaker 2: So you're right there with I got it, I kid in the future.
Speaker 8: We all agree we.
Speaker 5: Want it right now, but after kN will we get it right now twenty twenty five, I'm going to start itching again, man, I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, but all I'm saying is I'm not gonna be like if that's if that's the cost, If the cost is that I may never see another one in my lifetime, at least I got to see that one and I got to experience that one. That's my point is, I just want that one. Because in the NFL it is extremely different. They're franchises. You talk about the Cowboys having a jot, their franchise that never won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Full full drought ever inception.
Speaker 7: If you're fans of those teams, and some of those have been around as long, if not longer than Cowboys, So it like, if you're one of those teams you've never ever ever, your parents never experienced your grandparents never experienced it. I just want to experience it once because I wasn't a Cowboys fan till I started working here. I was an Oiler fan till Oilers left Houston, right, So for me, I just and oil was one of those franchisees we had never won a chance knocked on the door, but we had never want to. Don't get me started on the Buffalo game. Yeah, do don't get me started on that, but but yeah, we That's where I'm like, I just want to experience it one time, so I don't care what I got.
Speaker 9: It also different for us, I mean that work here. You know, you want to experience this while you're working here, while you're covering the team. I'm not saying, oh, we're gonna quit it soon after they finished, but you just never know. We've seen since I started working here, we've seen how many people come and go. And I've been long enough with you guys to where we've seen all those changes in different positions, So you do want to It's obviously a very different experience getting there while working and covering the team and being there and in person versus just watching on TV as a fan, which that's amazing too, but also from our perspective when you know all the people that have been putting in the work and have been working hard and all the shuffling around for years after years. Yeah, definitely, I'm good with one.
Speaker 5: Patrick.
Speaker 3: I just it's a big ring.
Speaker 5: I just know my listen, all I know is my window eight twenty eight. I'm doying here. Let's do, let's run, Let's go, all right real quick. I did want to get a question from from Twitter.
Speaker 7: We got a question from tm He says, does the inconsistency around the league increase your hopes for a Super Bowl glory? Seems as if you can, if you can get to the playoffs, there's a fighting chance.
Speaker 5: Yes, And that's the beautiful part of the NFL. And that's where the beauty of parody comes into playing. I mean, you see the Cowboys, you know, get destroyed by the San Francisco forty nine ers, and then the forty nine ers after you know that particular game, everybody's already crowning the forty nine ers. They're gonna be the Super Bowl champs. This is what it is this is the team to beat, and then they lose to the Browns, and then they lose to the Minnesota Vikings. And I know they were without Deebo Sami, but it's the Vikings team that also didn't have Justin Jefferson and then.
Speaker 2: Him, by the way, yeah, hey, by the way, Jordan Madison is a beast.
Speaker 5: Ye nice beast. And then you look at the Philadelphia Eagles. Yeah, they were able to fight back and get their win last week, but then they lose to the same Jets team that the Cowboys took out back and beat like a dirty rug. So it's just parody the Patriots looking at what the Patriots did. The Bills are struggling. Yeah, the Bills are an AFC contender, but they're struggling to get things going. So in the NFC, when you see what's going on, all you need to do if you're the Cowboys is show up weekend, week out. You understand you're not going to win every game, but if you show up to compete every week, then you will always have a chance to win that particular game, and you'll win far more than you won't. And this Cowboys team is still a contender to me, especially again, we'll come forty nine Ers, two game losing streak. Now they're five and two, Cowboys going to win this week. It's what They'll be five and you're right there in the mix. Detroit Lions we talked about. We made sure that we mentioned last week the Detroit Lions because they were playing very good football. They went out and got destroyed by the Baltimore Ravens. It happens. Would that happen again in week A Week eight with the Detroit Lions. I don't think it will, but it's a week to week league, so all you got to do is show up that particular one.
Speaker 9: You know, there's one phrase that has always stuck with me that Brian said in the NFL, and every time something where happens, I always think.
Speaker 10: Of you and that Derek.
Speaker 3: We need to talk about a T shirt deal for this. We can make millions.
Speaker 8: That is scout fits, uh, the scout fit.
Speaker 3: The I think the thing about it is why I look at this season. You're going to play every contender.
Speaker 1: You've already played the forty nine Ers, You're gonna play the Eagles twice, You're gonna play the Lions. You're gonna get the Dolphins, and you're gonna get the Bills.
Speaker 8: In Buffalo and Seattle by the way. There all the you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna see all the teams. How you navigate those games will tell you how you're likely going to get through the playoffs. Those are some of the best teams in the National Football League. So if you find a way to navigate when those games have some success, you've already failed the test against the forty nine ers. You don't need to fail against the Eagles. You don't need to fail against the other teams that we were talking about there, Detroit's and the others. You need to find a way to win those games, and you need to find a way to be able to get confidence and create doubt going forward when you play those teams again, if you play them in the playoffs. But I think you'll know a lot about your team by the end of this scene because of all the teams you're going to have to play.
Speaker 7: Ironically, when you think of that, you're probably gonna play of the top I don't know eight teams in the league. You're probably gonna play all of them except for two. That's Baltimore and Kansas City. All the rest of them are going to be your gauntlets starting right after Thanksgiving through the end of season.
Speaker 2: It is going to be a murderer's role rootle of teams.
Speaker 7: Now, the great part about that, if you want to get a great part about that is, like you said, Brian, you're gonna find out real quick, Yeah, how did your team really and if they can really compete in the playoff.
Speaker 1: I think you're going to have to make some hay here as we get for the next five because there are the games where it's Rams Eagles, Okay, Eagles, you know Dallas plays to Eagles.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see how it goes. But then you got the other teams.
Speaker 1: You got Carolina in there, You've got the Commanders in there, and you've got the Giants again in there. You know you can't stumble through that part of the schedule. You know you've got to find a way. If you somehow go to Philadelphia and win that game, win all those games kind of set you up for that gauntlet a run. But you know that if you win all those games, that means you're playing good football. Then when you get to the Gauntlet, you're not worried about spewing oil and it's going to be a struggle and you might lose two of the games like that, you still might lose the games. But if you're winning all these games and you're on a run, we see what confidence.
Speaker 5: Will do for a team. But then you also need to make sure that and I harken back to the game against Arizona and I'm looking at the schedule here for the Cowboys going forward. Don't walk into Charlotte thinking that the Panthers are no. Don't walk into Charlotte thinking, oh, they're going through some things and you know Bryce Young isn't playing well because of his lack of protection up front. Oh we got this. You need to remember what happened in Arizona when you go into a place like Charlotte and Bank of America Stadium. So as long as they step up to like Brian said, the next big test. You failed the first big test in a big way, which was San Francisco. And this is not to overlook the Rams because they're a solid team coming in here. You better mount up for them as well. But your next big test is in two weeks against the Eagles. That is probably going to if you can get that win in Philadelphia. You talk about launching you forward. That could put you on a strong trajectory that maybe you go on a run in what Mike McCarthy costs the second trimester of the season. It puts you in a real good spot in the event you have a stumble in December and you can still have time to recover and it won't have that much of an impact on the standings because there are other teams that are going to stumble as well. San Francisco is already doing it. Philly's not going to only lose one game this season. Detroit not only going to lose one game. Just make sure you take care of the business you need to take care well.
Speaker 9: You know what I'm still holding on to that part of hope is like we haven't seen the best of the Cowboys yet on offense, Like we still haven't seen the offense click. And it's not a situation where you're just constantly throwing at Cdcity is not freaking catching the ball.
Speaker 5: That's not what it is.
Speaker 9: It's not the same thing with Brandon Cooks. You're targeting him. That's not what it is. Michael Gallup, it happened last game, Okay, That's that happens sometimes Jake Ferguson. You're not throwing the ball trying to get him.
Speaker 3: Oh he's dropping the ball.
Speaker 9: Like that's not the situation. It's just like it's not clicking.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 9: You still see them having those pieces, you still see them having that talent, but things are not just quite clicking in this new scheme, in this new offense that Mike McCarthy has put together. So that's kind of the hope that I'm holding onto. It's like, Okay, this is what it's been, and they haven't been good, but they've gotten this far. Like this is where they're standing right now. Imagine when hopefully they do start clicking and making things work offensively and now you get to scoring more points and helping your defense out a little more throughout games. So that's kind of what hopefully starts kind of piecing it open again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she makes a good point. I mean that they're they're not firing on on even half cylinders at offense, just on offense. Just lie there and they're four and two. So to your point, like they're four and two coming out of there by week, and we haven't seen the best version of the Cowboys on offense just yet. So I mean what that has to give you some justifiable hope and saying, you know, if they can get it going, I mean they could go on a run. They could ride a off three four five game win streak to put themselves in a real good position to try to close this regular season.
Speaker 7: I was strong And I think the other thing to note there, even though the offense hasn't had the rhythm that you'd want, not only are they FOURGN two, but outside of the San Francisco game, the offense has moved pretty well twenty twenty yard line of twenty yard line.
Speaker 2: It's not the offense can't move at all.
Speaker 7: It's that they haven't had success in the red zone and obviously in the San Francis but they got shut down.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 7: But I'm saying, like when you look at just overall, the problems are fixable. It's not like a situation where this is an offense that has nothing like if you're the Giants, if you're only at the Giants, you're like, our office right now.
Speaker 2: Just has nothing.
Speaker 8: We can't do anything.
Speaker 7: We can't move right. It's not that it's that they haven't gotten it all to fit together. They haven't gotten to a point where they can rely on something, you know, in whatever the situation is, that we can rely on the fact that we're gonna be able to run, we can rely on the facts, we can go to CD LAMB. I think that's the part that you want to see the rhythm get there and you want to see them start figuring out who are those what are those reliable pieces that we know we can do.
Speaker 2: It goes back to that conversation that we have about identity a.
Speaker 8: Few weeks ago.
Speaker 7: They don't have one right now. You hope that that develops over time this season and then you can get there. But being four and two with that problem, that's where you look at it and say there is hope.
Speaker 5: And in its quality wins also because you know, for those that were saying, well, you only beat up on the Jets, Okay, well, then the Jets defeated the Eagles. Oh well, you know what about you beat up on the Patriots, and the Patriots beat the Bills, and you went and you beat Los Angeles Chargers in Los Angeles. It's the same Chargers team that beat the same Vikings team that just handed the same Francis for forty nine. It's the NFL week to week basis, So just come to play every week in the wrestle handle it.
Speaker 1: So I think you have to worry about because you can. I think you could say the same thing about Philadelphia's offense. Yeah, I don't think they play not there yet. Yeah, I don't think they played very well in their six and one. That's the thing that would give me a little pause.
Speaker 8: That's very true.
Speaker 7: And I think that's the part where I was looking at them and I was thinking they were going to stumble at some point. Yeah, and the fact that they're not stumbling after starting the way they have offensively, that's what they've had some games and they figured it.
Speaker 5: Out though for then, and that's the key key phrase. They're figuring out how to overcome like some some miscues. For example Jaal when hurts, he started to turn the ball over, but they're figuring out how to overcome that. You're seeing brock party starting to turn the ball over, but the forty nine ers haven't shown they know how to overcome that yet. Going back to Hope, Okay, well, if the forty nine ers can't overcome brock Purty doing late game interceptions and if he's showing he can't play from behind. If you're the Cowboys, you're like, oh, oh, we really got to do is handle our business because when we get back to them, if we can get back to them, if we can play better football, maybe put them behind the school board. Now you have a chance to get brock pretty in situations like with Minnesota last night with two late game interceptions. That helps you with the game. So every every team in the NFC has cracks in its armor. And this is going to get fun, real fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're gonna find out who we gonna find We're gonna find out who can see.
Speaker 3: Jalen Hurts and and and the guy Alan are throwing a lot of interceptions. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I want to get but we talk about DAC throwing, these guys are throwing an alarming amount of interceptions.
Speaker 3: I just want to. I just wanted to get it out there.
Speaker 5: You're being a fan boy. No, we're watching the game.
Speaker 3: Other people are throwing interceptions.
Speaker 1: Jo Hurts has throwing eight of them, and your guy Josh Allen has thrown them as well.
Speaker 5: And now Party has three in his last two games there, two of which were in the late fourth quarter with the game on the line, people throw interceptions that the attack happens. All right, we appreciate you, guys. Jonas, get the la No, it's real quick, real quick. Eleven and five is the number for lap Coat. Eleven and five. Mike McCarthy and his his NFL coaching career, He's eleven to five coming out of the bye week. Should have been twelve and four, but overtime loss in Green Bay last week last year kind of stung that. But look at the silver lining. Look at the silver lining that created some that drove change for the offseason. That guys have guys like Brandon Cookson here no straits to a Noah Brown. But the upgrade, so eleven to five Cowboys fans can feel good about that. Mike McCarthy typically does very well coming after the buye coming out of the by So they just need to host this Los Angeles Rams team and handle business. Get him out of here and get onto Philadelphia.
Speaker 8: All right, appreciate you guy, Dallas.
Speaker 7: We'll be back on tomorrow. We'll start getting into the next game. Brian will have a breakdown for US Cowboys versus Rams till then for Patrick Walker. Brian brought us Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eilton has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.