Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, it's your pale Josh. For this week's select, I've chosen our twenty sixteen episode on motion sickness, one of the worst, non injurious, non life threatening things that can happen to you. But don't worry. You won't get motion sick just from listening and maybe knowing a little more about it might help you avoid it. We can only hope enjoy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Joshua Clark. There's Charles w Chuck Bryant, and Jerry's over there. I'm speaking in a monotone kind of.
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, Hey, how's it going.
Speaker 1: It's going well. I'm not motion sick, so things are fine. Do you get motion sick sometimes? I mean if the condition. I was really surprised to find that not everybody gets motion sick.
Speaker 2: What are your conditions?
Speaker 1: Poor ventilation and like lots of movement backseat of a car? Okay, but anytime I read in a car, yeah, even like glancing at my phone on a map. Really, if I have to read anything, yeah, it gets me very quick. So I've just learned like I can't do it. Yeah, I cannot do it, so I don't.
Speaker 2: I get it a little bit too. I used to get it more, I think when I was younger. Supposedly it's normal. Supposedly it is. But I remember a very specific story that my brother still laughs at.
Speaker 1: And by the.
Speaker 2: Way, boy, I'm glad. I said that I owe my brother, my big brother, a big apology because I saw him over the weekend and he said, oh, by the way, I was just did an old episode and he said, you'd never been a groom a best man. I was the best man at my brother's wedding.
Speaker 1: Oh out, man. I felt like a jerk, man, Scott, I'm sorry, I know.
Speaker 2: And what happened was when I said I hadn't, I just like quickly scanned through my friends that have gotten married, and I didn't think about my brother and I was his best man. Boy, I know, man, what a jerk.
Speaker 1: Well it's it's rectified.
Speaker 2: Well I told him. I was like, you're going to get a public apology, So there it is.
Speaker 1: That's pretty public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's public as it gets.
Speaker 1: You could have also started a scores based website if you wanted. It's really easy.
Speaker 2: I might do that. So anyway, there's this old story when we went to Disney Geez, which is the one where Body Wars is at. I should have asked Holly. From stuff you missed in history class, you.
Speaker 1: Would know she probably senses that someone's talking about Disney right now.
Speaker 2: Body Wars either was or still is. I don't know if it's still there. One of those rides that you sit in a you know, it was one of those first sort of virtual things where they show you a movie and they moved.
Speaker 1: The car, like the Amazing Voyage or something, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you went inside a human body and we're traveling around. I want to say Disney World, but I can't remember. So I went in that and.
Speaker 1: I mean waiting. You grew up in Atlanta, I'm guessing you went to disney World.
Speaker 2: Well, it definitely was at Disneyland, but I don't know if it was Epcot Oh or Universal Studio or Disney World. It was in Orlando.
Speaker 1: So from what I understand, we have a buddy who works for Disney, and he set me straight on this before, and I think I've got it. So Disney World is all of those. The Magic Kingdom is what you're specifying.
Speaker 2: So Disney world includes Epcott and Universal Studios.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, I really hope I'm not mistake.
Speaker 2: And the Magic Kingdom is specifically went with the Castle, right.
Speaker 1: If I did get that wrong, Brandon, I apologize.
Speaker 2: It's one with the castle and all the weird adults that think they're children.
Speaker 1: Like Holly from stuff you missed in history class.
Speaker 2: Uh so body wars anyway, you're traveling through the body, and I remember at one point I was like, man, this is it's getting hot in here, and Scott was like, this is great. I was like, I'm not feeling so good man. It's like do they have the heat going? It's like, what are you talking about? It feels great? And I got I didn't vomit, but I got really sick and made it through the ride and left. And he still teases me to this day. He was like, it was temperature air controlled, yeah, and you thought it was like ninety degrees and they were like pumping in heat.
Speaker 1: It's funny, like it got to you like that, like your own body cold sweats the whole wh Yeah, that's bad, but generally you you actually did puke.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I did not poke. You didn't, but generally, I don't like it takes a certain thing, like a really hardcore roller coaster, right, going in fast fast circles. Yeah, but I don't get sick on plains or the one cruise I went on, I didn't get sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I've gotten I've gotten sick before, like on vacation. But and on planes it's usually fairly fleeting. It's when I introduced reading that it's like, right, you're in big trouble for a long time.
Speaker 2: You can read on a plane though I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, now I think about it's reading in a car. I just got to stay away from that. But usually it does come about with like poor ventilation that kind of thing, yeah, which is another trigger, it's a big one, or like a rough odor or something like that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure all those things don't help.
Speaker 1: The thing is for for as much as like we kind of commonly understand motion sickness, science really doesn't have a full explanation for it.
Speaker 2: I'm picturing little Josh because riding backwards is bad and like a rumble seat and a station wagon.
Speaker 1: In a in a Subaru brat with like your.
Speaker 2: Dad has like salami socks on or something that stink, what, like the windows are rolled up. I don't know. I'm just trying to think of something gross.
Speaker 1: Salami socks, like socks made of salami.
Speaker 2: Sure, Like, whendn't that smelled gross?
Speaker 1: He's wearing the skin of another person.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I was thinking sock smelled like old salami, but made of salami is even better? Right, I think I'm just picturing you back there, like reading your Mad magazine feeling bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, I do remember being a kid and figuring out I can't read in cars. There was a period where I could, which is kind of surprising because when you're younger, you're more susceptible to motion sickness. Yeah, but I could read in the car while I was younger, and then probably around the time of puberty, I was like, I can't do this anymore.
Speaker 2: So you went opposite. Yeah weird. Yeah, well maybe you developed your hips, right, because that's a tease. We'll just leave that out there, all right. So twenty five to forty percent of people supposedly are susceptible to motion sickness. So weird, and it can happen on planes, it can happen. It's weird. This one University of Maryland side I went to said the following are the most common risk factors riding in a car, boat, airplane, or space shuttle. Really, yeah, nerds, Just like they didn't even put amusement park ride. They just went straight to space shuttle.
Speaker 1: You know, one that I I hadn't seen before, but apparently as the thing is looking through a microscope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes a little bit of sense though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the slag can move and your eyes are seeing movement but you're not moving. Uh huh, And yeah, I don't get to you like another nerdy motion sickness, space shuttles and microscopes.
Speaker 2: So, like you said, age between two and twelve, you're more likely and then you're also more likely to grow out of it after puberty. And one of the reasons that women are more motion sickness than men, or get motion sickness more than men, is because one of the theories is that after puberty they developed more in the hips, men develop more in the chest, and I guess that makes a difference. They didn't really explain why, though, did they.
Speaker 1: Well, it all has to do with sway theory, which will oh, that's right, right, sway theory. Yeah, but it is true that like women are more susceptible just on average, to motion sickness than men are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw some studies apparently.
Speaker 1: Also Asian women Asian period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Penn State did a study and they put people in situations that make emotion sick or not.
Speaker 1: Did you look into those?
Speaker 2: Oh? Is it like a tilted whirl Dude?
Speaker 1: Like if you went in for just a clinical study, like I'm gonna make some scratch and maybe they'll give me a cool drug or something. Yeah, and it turns out to be a motion sickness study, you should leave.
Speaker 2: No. I totally was.
Speaker 1: So there's this thing called a optkinetic drum I believe is what it's called. Oh I did see that, Yeah, optkinetic joke. It's like it's like a drum, like a big drum that you sit inside of, and it's got vertical black and white painted stripes and it spins around you and the motion, the movement is really emphasized and like it's designed to make anybody motion sick and that's how they induce motion sickness. And I saw another one where they use a chair that just kind of moves you around, whether you like it or not, and it induces motion sickness. Like, what a terrible thing to have happened.
Speaker 2: You man. There was a ride at six Flags over Georgia growing up that they got rid of because someone got hurt, supposedly where it's this barrel that you all get in. You stand, it's like kind of below ground. You stand against the wall and it spins so fast. Then they dropped the floor beneath you, and the centrifugal force hold you against the wall.
Speaker 1: It's like a spin cycle and a washing machine. You mean. I were just talking about that the other day.
Speaker 2: Thing was awful.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite of all time.
Speaker 2: Really, uh huh.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was so cool.
Speaker 2: Well, the old story was that someone's leg got trapped when the floor came back.
Speaker 1: Up, But I remember hearing that now that I look.
Speaker 2: Back, because I'm sure that was an old wives tale.
Speaker 1: Although I was on Snoops the other day and I was reading an early article and they were talking about, you know, the urban legend about some girl who got scalped because her hair got caught in an amusement park ride or something. It actually happened, really, Yeah, the girl's ponytail got caught in there. And just got pulled right off of her head. I know, but it actually did happen. So it's possible someone's leg got sucked into the tilta world.
Speaker 2: Well, but then what happens is it happened to every amusement park.
Speaker 1: Right right. It just happened to my cousin's friend.
Speaker 2: Right, all right. So the Penn State study they put people in these torture machines and interestingly, they did confirm eighty percent of Asian people got sick, when it was less than fifty percent for Caucation and non Caucasian, which is.
Speaker 1: Really it's very crazy, but it kind of underscores a growing awareness among motion sickness researchers aka the evil ones, that genetics play a big role in susceptibility to motion sickness.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because there were another couple of findings that lend to that. Twins. They studied two hundred sets of identical twins, and one hundred percent of the identical twins were both affected. Really yeah, and some of that, you know, they can't prove that it's genetics because it also could be the just where they were raised and how were they raised. What's that called?
Speaker 1: Uh nurture, environment.
Speaker 2: Environment environmental And if parents are both susceptible to motion sickness, they found that their children are five times more likely, So it sort of points to genetics. But then other things point away from genetics, like why why would you know two people in the same family and the same conditions not get sick or why did two people period not get.
Speaker 1: Sick right under the same conditions. Yeah, Like, I guess what I'm saying, Salami socks smell, yeah, yeah, same backwards facing seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess what I'm saying is they haven't figured it out.
Speaker 1: No, they haven't. But if we do figure out that it's genetic, thanks to the magic of the Crisper cast nine gene editing process, be able to knock that right out for you.
Speaker 2: What else pregnant?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pregnant women are more susceptible to it. Women who are menstruating, I think also are, and people who get migraines are more susceptible. And then people who sleep poorly are more susceptible to motion sickness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it says if you're prone to nausea or vomiting, but I don't know if that's like, that's the sort of a chicken or the egg thing.
Speaker 1: So it's well, we're going to get into again. We said science doesn't understand exactly what's going on here, but there's some good theories. We're going to talk about them right after this. So chuck, Yeah, let's talk about some theories for motion sickness because it's kind of two Yeah, I saw. I think it was this Atlantic article you sent.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: It's not so much it's not so much science. It's a debate, yeah, over you know, the likelier explanation. But they actually kind of fit together, I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But if you ask the people, apparently the author in the Atlantic, it's called the Mysterious Science of Motion Sickness, he sort of pokes fun a little bit. He's like, to me, they sound sort of the same. But don't tell that to those people who believe one or the other, because they're like, no, they're nothing like each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she Julie Beck, Oh is that who was?
Speaker 2: All right? Nice job, Julie, good article. Pat on the back for you, cold star. So here's the first one. Is in this one, they both make a lot of sense to me. Basically, there's a dissonance between the parts of your body that sense motion. Right, that's the easiest way to say it.
Speaker 1: It's called the sensory conflict theory.
Speaker 2: Yeahs you got tryballs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sense motion. It's it's weird if you think about your eyes doing that, but that's one of the roles that they play.
Speaker 2: Yeah you see motion, right. Sure.
Speaker 1: You also have the vestibular system, which is centered around your inner ear yep, and that definitely senses motion, movement, acceleration, gravity. Yeah, and then you have all the sensor the sensors and like your muscles and joints and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. I didn't really think about that as being one, but for sure. Yeah, like your body actually feels it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well think about it, like if you if you feel yourself kind of moving backward, you're definitely sensing it through your inner ear, but you can also feel it in your feet as well, and they're sending a bulletin to your brain saying, lean forward, dummy, you're gonna fall back. What's your problem, friend? Yeah, that's what it says.
Speaker 2: So this dissonance occurs when basically, like let's say you're sitting in a movie theater like an imax, and it's a scene where you're you're flying with Superman or something like. You're seeing this with your eyeball, like a first person perspective shot of flight, right, but you're sitting in your seat, so your eyes are saying you're flying, and your butt's going You're sitting here.
Speaker 1: And your brain's like a witch Yeah, pretty much witchcraft.
Speaker 2: So it creates this this, it creates motion sickness. That's when the nausea might kick in, dizziness, those cold sweats, salivation.
Speaker 1: I like how the author of the house Stuff Works article pointed out she specifically mentioned Avatar.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who is the dude the guy who's like the friend on the Flight of the Concords Mary, No, the other dude, the guy who worked in the ponds.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, what is his name?
Speaker 2: It's not Arge Barker.
Speaker 1: Is Arge Barker? Yes it was. I always want to call him Bosler him, and I know it's definitely not the same dude. Great comedian Ars Barker. You mean, I went to go see him. He did some stand up right, and he was talking about Avatar and he said, when it first came out, people were like, oh, Avatar, have you seen Avatar?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great? And then like everything you heard was have you seen Avatar? You got to see Avatar, he said, like after a couple of weeks, you'd just be walking down the sidewalk and people would pull up alongside you in their car and roll down the window and go Avatar. And this is I think a great example of that.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting. I posted an article on Facebook not too long ago on the stuff you Should Know page about this person wrote an article about Avatar and their argument was that it for such a huge movie, it had like zero cultural impact, like it was big at the time, but does anyone care now, Like it's not like the Star Wars World or oh Star Trek or all these things. And I totally agreed. I saw Avatar once and I was like, I'm done with it. Typical James Cameron schlock.
Speaker 1: I've seen it zero times now.
Speaker 2: That sucks. But dude, there are Avatar people though I know that piled on and were like, was goy, have no idea what he's talking about. It's totally relevant.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure they're going to be all over our Facebook page after this episode comes back. Hey truck forever.
Speaker 2: Now, I like some of James Cameron's stuff, but if he wrote the script, then it's I'm not gonna like it.
Speaker 1: No, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I think he's a hack writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did I just say that to hundreds of thousands of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I'm sure James Cameron cares what you think. He's at the bottom of the Marianna Trench right now. He's not listening into Stuffy.
Speaker 2: She's picking out my future burial site.
Speaker 1: So, Chuck, we were talking about the sensory conflict theory, right, Yes, that's one big explanation and it definitely kind of makes sense, right you Your brain just basically gets overloaded and it's like, oh, I need to sit down. I've got the vapors. Right, Yeah, I'm doing a lot of bad impressions in this episode, as it knows to be somebody fainting in the late nineteenth century.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's great. So it was your Archbarker.
Speaker 1: A fop, That's what it was.
Speaker 2: It was a fop, the dandy fop.
Speaker 1: There's another competing idea, and that is we kind of talked about. It's called sway theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a dude, Thomas Staffragen or Stuffragen. I'm going with the gin with jin Je Stuffragen, University of University of Minnesota, Prorofessor of Kinesiology and listen to this. He's the director of its Affordance Perception Action Laboratory NERD.
Speaker 1: He gets motion sickness looking through microscopes, so.
Speaker 2: He proposes the sway theory, which basically has nothing to do with the vestibular system. He said.
Speaker 1: He says that I don't I don't necessarily agree with that, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, agree that he thinks that.
Speaker 1: No, I know that he thinks that. I don't agree with that his take on that. Agree. I think it's still tied together.
Speaker 2: But his theory is in this first party is in theory. It's true, is that everyone sways, Like unless you're one of those people that stand at like motionless in the middle of New Orleans for money.
Speaker 1: Yeah silver or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're good, they're good at it. But if you're just a regular dope like you and I, when we stand there, we're going to be moving in a little bit. Yeah, you me swaying a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's weird. Like if you stop and like really pay attention to it, yeah you notice it, but you'll never notice it unless you are focused on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're always moving a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, swaying. If you're standing up, you're swaying for the most part.
Speaker 2: Yes. And the point he makes is if everyone truly relaxed every muscle in their body, they'd fall over.
Speaker 1: Right. So the whole point, the whole thing is swaying is it's the byproduct of us standing upright, which is not something we've been doing for all of the time we've been on earth, because we evolve from things that walked on four legs. Standing up's kind of new.
Speaker 2: Well sure, and babies don't stand up right. They have to learn as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, so Stuffridgen's whole idea is that motion sickness comes about when you have when you're exposed to movement that contradicts the natural swaying that you've learned to do to stand upright right, and it undermines it and your brain goes which.
Speaker 2: Makes sense in a way because let's say you're on a boat and the boat's tilting to the left, and so what your feet do or you know, they account for that, and maybe you lean in on the inside of your foot and your toes flex right. So because you want to make yourself more upright again, and then the boat turns again in a direction you're not expecting. You're correcting for that first move, the second move happens, and your body doesn't know what to do.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. The the sensory conflict one makes a little more sense to me than this one, because that sounds to me like if that, if that were the case, if that's what's going on, and it clearly is, like when it's when you get your sea legs or whatever. Yeah, you you, you were moving along, You're trying to stay standing under these weird conditions. Why would that translate into something like dizzyness or nausea or vomiting or cold sweats. That doesn't make sense to me. Sensory conflict, I can see translating into it. But even beyond that, a lot of people are like, no, that doesn't Still, it doesn't make sense why you would vomit. And this one guy named Michael Treesman in nineteen seventy seven came up with a pretty awesome explanation for why we should get nauseated when we get motion sick.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, yeah, should we take a break and talk about that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sure, all right? Josh Michael treesmaneteen seven, twenty seven in the journal Science. What did he say?
Speaker 1: Oh, he said that we get nauseated from motion sickness because over there are some toxins out there that can mess with our vestibular system. Right, Yes, So the body is tricked into thinking that it's possibly been exposed to some sort of toxin because the vestibular the vestibular system is out of whack from motion sickness, So it gets nauseated and ultimately might vomit as a reflex to get rid of whatever toxin it thinks has been ingested. It's basically a case of mistaken identity. I think it explains it perfectly. Yeah, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: I could see a little bit. Yeah, I think what what Stuffragen is saying is that you're used to regaining your balance. You spend your entire life learning this system, and that if it's thrown off, what he doesn't do is connect it. I believe. I believe you're right, he doesn't connect it in the end, like something that happens in your brain.
Speaker 1: Right, why the physiological reaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, Yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Does have some pretty good evidence backing his idea. Of sway theory up though, So again, women are more susceptible to motion sickness than men, right, Yes, that's what they say. Well, he says, aha, Well, sway theory explains this. Kids are equally susceptible to both genders are equally susceptible to motion sickness before puberty. Then after puberty, the bodies change, and where women and men hold most of their weight is different. Right, Women hold it mostly around their hips, Men hold it more around their chest, and that means that the center of gravity is different, which means the amount that we sway is different.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I think who does he say sways? Women sway farther but slower but slower.
Speaker 1: Men sway faster but within a tighter area.
Speaker 2: And these are micro sways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that like most people move no more than like an inch to any given side. Yeah, and even then you're like Barney on the Simpsons when he walked out for that like bachelor auction.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then there's also land sickness, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't look too much into it, but I have heard of it, which is basically the concept that if you're a sailor, right then you've gotten or you know, just somebody who's been on boats enough. You don't have to be a professional. You get your sea legs so well that you get land sickness.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When you get back, yeah, and you're on solid ground, you're like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What to do, right, because your brain's so used to things moving that it perceives that it's moving even though it's not.
Speaker 2: Do you want to say the French name for it?
Speaker 1: Milde barkmont close? Let me look, I wasn't even looking that was you forgot the middle part? Well, then you say it.
Speaker 2: There's a qui in the middle. So maybe mal de barcumen.
Speaker 1: I said mal Debarkamon, mel debarquemon bark moon have barbecue, mallt.
Speaker 2: I love that when we do this stuff, there's it's probably literally fifty percent people laughing and fifty percent people want to kill us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah a lot of people want to kill us. I can live with that as long as they never do.
Speaker 2: All right, So should we go over some some things that you can do to prevent it?
Speaker 1: Because I mean that that whole segment on what explains motion sickness is kind of petered out, But that's the state of science right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although they I will say, they have looked at the twenty three and me for the genetic side, and have found some support for both claims.
Speaker 1: I think that they're together. I do too, Like I think, if yes, your your swaying system is set up in a certain way, and why can't that be a component that, along with the vestibular system and your sight and all that is affected and creates motion sickness. I just don't understand why it has to be one or the other. That was the impression that I had he was trying to really come get across, is that it's no, it's its own thing. Yeah, yeah, I think that's weird. So what do you what do you go to if you get motions sick?
Speaker 2: Well, they say to keep your eyes on the horizon, whether you're in a car or a boat or whatever.
Speaker 1: That that'll help cuts down on motion, right or the sensation of motion. I'm not sure I think so, because think about it, when you look at stuff that's close to the car, it's blurring by. It's the horizon sting. Yeah, constant look.
Speaker 2: At you keep your head still so you can lay down if you're able to somewhere, or at least put your head back against the seat. Yeah, just sort of keep it as still as possible. Don't smoke.
Speaker 1: Sure, they just good advice all around.
Speaker 2: Exactly if you're gonna fly, they say to avoid big, greasy meals and alcohol the night before, and eat light meals or snacks low en calories the day of.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you do want to have something in your stomach, though, because that's.
Speaker 2: Just can't help empty stomach. No good, right, turn that air vent. Whether you're in your car or a plane or a boat, you want some fresh air blowing on your face, ideally or at least recycled air.
Speaker 1: I felt this bed since then, Anita Bryant Hunt.
Speaker 2: Sit in the front of the airplane or over a wing, supposedly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rear of the airplane.
Speaker 2: Can you tell a difference?
Speaker 1: Oh man, really, you just get whipped around back and forth. It's way worse if you get motion sick. You should never sit behind the wings of the airplane.
Speaker 2: See I love the last car of a roller coaster though.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you're feeling it more. Yeah, you're enjoying it more. You don't get motion sick.
Speaker 2: What else avoids salty foods? Before you travel.
Speaker 1: There's also remedies too, right, So the jury's out on whether ginger actually helps or not if it's just a placebo effect.
Speaker 2: Ginger, peppermint, and black horehound apparently are some of the herbs that may or may not work. Who knows.
Speaker 1: I can tell you firsthand, and I looked it up. See bands, acupressure bracelets. Yeah, that go on your wrist, three fingers with down from the heel of your palm.
Speaker 2: The pericardium six So was the acupuncture point.
Speaker 1: I saw research that showed that neither placebo nor the acupressure bands had any effect on motion sickness. I can tell you that even if it is just placebo, they still work. Oh yeah, the firsthand, they work all right, even if it's placebo. I don't care. That's fine because it keeps me from being motion sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it kept me and you me from being motion sick on an entire cruise.
Speaker 2: But would you have been motion sick without it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we had. We didn't use it for one day and we fell immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I brought one on my only cruise that I went to, and I don't think I wore it because I didn't need to.
Speaker 1: We had like divots on our wrisk because we just had them on like the whole time. Yeah you should bring it just in case.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure.
Speaker 1: We also had scopalamine. Yeah, and we didn't even use it because the sea bands work so well.
Speaker 2: Drama meine is that the same thing or is no different?
Speaker 1: Scopal of meine is that stuff that like they drug people with and then it's like remember in our truth Sier episode we talked about scopel of me Oh yeah, it's like a drug in South America where they'll they'll dose you with it and then you end up like just basically becoming zombified and don't remember anything. Yeah, it's the same stuff, but it doles the messages from your inner ear to your brain, so your sensation of motion has decreased.
Speaker 2: Nice homeopathy. There haven't been a ton of studies about the effective effectiveness of specific remedies, but they do say things like borax, calculus, petroleum cpo, tabacum.
Speaker 1: Dude, So we're going to hear from so many people just for having even uttered the word homeopathy.
Speaker 2: Is that how you say it? Homeopathy?
Speaker 1: No, it goes both ways. Okay, Yeah, I know, I mean, nothing drives people more crazy than that. I know they're going to go berserk mark my word.
Speaker 2: Because it's not you know, well, well I said that that take it or leave it basically. Yeah, some people swear by it. Yeah, man, some people think it's uh.
Speaker 1: From what I have ever seen, it's like the biggest flash point like of anything, of anything that skeptics talk about. Nothing drives them crazier than homeopathy. Yeah, yeah, like make some nuts. It's kind of funny to watch.
Speaker 2: It does, because then you people say you shouldn't even say Western versus Eastern medicine. You should say proven science versus like witchcraft.
Speaker 1: Did people say that on Facebook?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they get really like, you shouldn't even say say it.
Speaker 1: I said, you can't say it. Don't even say it?
Speaker 2: Josh, what else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm making fun of you.
Speaker 2: Mind body medicine, biofeedback, training, and relaxation. They did a study of fifty five pilots who had to stop flying due to motion sickness, which, by the way, I didn't know that, Like that frightens me just knowing that that.
Speaker 1: A pilot can get motion say yeah, but think about it for the pilot. That's like career ending. Oh, I'm sure you know.
Speaker 2: Seventy six percent of them got over their motion sickness and were able to return to work after biofeedback training and relaxation programs. So basically they sit in that tilta whirl, bring it on, and then biofeedback instruments record temperature, muscle tension, and they use relaxation techniques and mental imagery in the chair and over time, it's sort of like cognitive behavioral therapy, which is another thing that they use, which is like, you know, get in the chair right and do it until right. It doesn't affect you any exposure therapy, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's this guy named Sam Puma who's a physician and aeronautics engineer. I think maybe at the very least, he's worked in the aerospace industry for a really long time, and he has come up with some habituation exercises where basically you kind of mildly expose your body to the kind of movements it's going to expect on like a space shuttle or whatever ahead of your trip, and you can, he says, you can be prepared and not have any motion sickness and as little as a weak huh. Yeah, and I guess it checks.
Speaker 2: Out, yeah, because it sounds like, you know, come on, what's this guy selling me?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: But then the Atlantic author she said, you know, no, apparently it's a real thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then another good tip that I saw was, if you're in a car and you're not driving, pretend like you're driving. You might feel silly, but you know, pretend like you're driving, maybe even to your hands and anticipate the curves and things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe give them a little horn, a little imaginary horn once an order.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The reason why the best seat in a car is the drivers because you can anticipate the movements the car is gonna make. Yeah, which supports sway theory if you think about it, true because you can counteract it.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have one of those passengers in your car that hits the fake brake because they're nervous. Sure, it's like just an involuntary action. You see them stomp their foot on the floorboard. It's pretty funny. I have one friend in particular that does that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, uh, let's see. I guess that's it, right, I got nothing else. If you want to learn more about motion sickness, you can type those words in the search bar at HowStuffWorks dot com. And since I said search bar, it's time for the listener mayl.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call this fond sid to to Hey, guys, love the show. I'm a two two maker who knew, but you know.
Speaker 1: Somebody makes them. Sure they don't just grow on trees.
Speaker 2: Not anymore. I'm a two two maker and work alone in my studio a lot making tutus. You guys are my company and thank you for that. Also have a Bachelor of Science in ornamental horticulture, so listening to the Bonce episode reminded me of an experience ad with a bonsai master in a class I had in college. The professor covered the art of bonsai leading up to this man's visit. He covered the art, meticulous decisions made in the shaping of the tree, etc. The day came when the master was there to speak with us. We came into class and all of his amazing work was displayed around the classroom. It was really beautiful. Everyone sort of spoke about it in hush stones, very reverent to each other. Finally, the master, who was a rather tiny Japanese man, was ready to demonstrate the technique for us. He unpotted the plant in front of him, spoke about the shape and what he felt would be the best way to train it, and after this, he pulled out a club the size of a baseball bat and beat the crap out of the root ball planning the need to control the plant, and no one knew exactly how to react. I had not thought about that for a really long time, and I listened to the show chuckling the whole time because of it. I thought you might appreciate the story that is from Nancy Gallagher, the Twutu maker.
Speaker 1: Well thanks a lot, Nancy.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was just trying to get the dirt away from the roots, I don't know, or.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was he was just messing with him the bad bonds. I, mister Miagi would never do that.
Speaker 2: I worked with Pat Marita. Did I mention that on the show? No?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: He did a music video that I worked on, Karate Kid Spoof. Oh oh yeah, alien Ant Farm and I worked with him and he was super nice and it was just a couple of years before he died.
Speaker 1: He's dead. Oh yeah, that's a shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he liked the white wine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think you told me the story before it, so I was familiar.
Speaker 2: I had to go fetch them some chardonnay. It like noon. I was like, you know what, how was Pat Marina on the set of the music video? Sure, I'd be like, I'd have a pa, fetch me some shardonay too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Remember he played Al, the replacement Al Arnold on Happy Days. Arnold Al was the name of the actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, from California. Pat Marita.
Speaker 1: What's that to do with it?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Oh that was an additional fact. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just mean some people might see the karate kid and only know that and think he's from Japan, right, but he was putting on that accent. Oh yeah, yeah, he's a California dude, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like laid back kind of Oh yeah, shardonay guy. If you want to know more about Pat Marita or get in touch with us or whatever, you can send off for more info to SYSK podcast on Twitter or on Instagram. You can join us on Facebook, dot com slash Stuff you Should Know. You can send us an email to Stuff Podcast at houstuffworks dot com and has always joined us at our home on the web. Stuff you Should Know dot Com.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: M