Speaker 1: What's up.
Speaker 2: It's way up with Angela Yee and special guests joining us, and you're all over.
Speaker 3: The TVs right now.
Speaker 2: I mean the final season of The Shy, which everybody has been celebrating the run that that show had and the impact that it had. And then you're also starring on Zatima with quite the storyline this season.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: So you look healthy.
Speaker 2: I should be just thinking about Connie from watching you on Zatima. Just such a really powerful storyline that you have on that show. First we met you as Zach's ex girlfriend, but now we know there's a secret that you've been hiding from everybody. So can we talk about that and what that was like for you?
Speaker 1: We can definitely talk about that. I think that me coming on the first season. My first season was actually the second season, so I come on, She's like this funny, brash girl, and there's already funny girls on the show, so it's like, well, maybe that's not what she should do. So they introduced this whole idea of me having cancer. And as I'm reading, because we get the scripts like relatively close to when we shoot, I'm in my girlfriend's room. And when I say room, her hospital room and she just found out that she had stage two or three colon cancer. And at that time she was working for b Et. So imagine, I'm on a be Et show. This is happening. All of these things are just happening. So I go we shoot that scene. So the scene that everybody really sees is the one where I'm crying telling Tony about me having cancer and I'm like, look out for my kids. That was a one take.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, I dropped.
Speaker 1: In because it's like I understood what was happening. I have a friend, a very close friend, and she's going through that, and like we're having those uncomfortable conversations of like look after my son, like look after and I'm single, I don't have any kids, so it's like, okay, you know what I mean. Like it's not an easy conversation. And I think that after it aired, I got so many messages of people like that happened to my mother, that happened to me and my sister. I just think that we need to bring more awareness to breast cancer in the black and brown communities, in all communities, but especially for women that might not know.
Speaker 2: And one thing. Another scene that I found to be powerful. There was another woman while you were in the hospital and you were telling her that.
Speaker 3: You really didn't want to tell anybody.
Speaker 2: You had only told one person because you're just trying to handle things on your own. And I think for a lot of people who are going through that, it's a secret they don't want people to know. And in a way, it is your right to do that, but I want to I want to explore what you learned from doing that scene. Playing the character of Connie who finds out she's going through chemo, she has cancer. You're trying to handle it on your own, and a lot.
Speaker 3: Of things happen. You got to watch the show if you having to have to watch lots of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just.
Speaker 2: Making people reflect and think about, you know, when you're going through something and not telling anybody and kind of carrying that yourself, what that means for other people.
Speaker 1: So this is the thing when when we keep it all to ourselves, no one can help us. And I think that as women so much were like, no I can I can do it. I got it by myself. No, we don't. We need help, And it's okay to say I need help. It's okay to tell your village that you need help because we stand for everyone else, so we got to stand for ourselves too, and people have to support us. So I feel like it was really important for that scene to be in there so people can really understand that you need help as much as it's.
Speaker 3: People to help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the thing, because imagine how upset you would be to know that somebody's been dealing with something and you would have loved to be there for them, and you can't.
Speaker 1: After that happens, you can't get that time back. There's nothing you can do.
Speaker 3: Like, why didn't you let me know?
Speaker 2: I would because I think we also take for granted that we try to do things that our own and I think that's a black women, strong black women thing that we do where I just don't want to tell anybody I can handle it myself. I'm superwoman. I'm juggling these things. I feel like, out of anybody, we're the ones that are always feeling.
Speaker 1: Like and we're taught that.
Speaker 3: If I taught that, you gotta hold it down right.
Speaker 1: I look at my mother, I look at my grandmother, a very strong woman. I love them, but at the same time. I don't want that. I don't want everything to be on me right. I really know how to treat myself. I know how to relax, Like I have a class when I'm in LA when I take yoga on Sunday, like just things for me that I need to pour back into myself. If we don't do that, then you're gonna burn yourself out, and then who can you really help if you're burnt out? And this job, this line of work that you're in is not easy either, No it is not. But it's like you have to do things for yourself. You have to take care of yourself. Sometimes I look at people, I'm like, I'm not drinking liquor every night. I'm not you know what I'm saying, I'm not smoking. I'm just taking care of myself. And that's something that that came over time. And that's the only way I feel like I could really pour into you is if i'm my best.
Speaker 3: You're a pescatarian too, correct.
Speaker 1: So like sometimes because I know somebody's gonna try and be like what I saw you but in Atlanta never, Oh that was that was shady? Okay, I did I did?
Speaker 2: That was back up because I feel like at one point you had a squatter. Come on, Angela, got more about this Atlanta squatter story, because baby, that is a fair.
Speaker 1: Yes it was. So. I had bought my first condo in Atlanta, East Atlanta, and I've rented it because I wasn't like, I don't really want to like live there, so I hit it. I'm still living in Laka, but I'm in Atlanta shooting. We're shooting season maybe four or three. She stopped paying the rent. She stopped answering my calls.
Speaker 3: Happened to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm going like I'm going to because you have to get a sheriff to come and put them out. It was it was basically an AIRBNBI furnished it. I'm still looking for her because she owe me money. I'm still still money. Yeah, so the sheriff comes, I'm taping it on my phone. I put it on my Instagram because I didn't want that to happen to anybody else, right, But now the studio I had to work that day, so I had to kick her out and beat her work by five period. They Yeah, let me ask you what so she just thought she could just Sometimes I feel like when people think they know what you do, or like, oh I saw you on TV. Yeah, I still need my money, right, I mean rent?
Speaker 2: Like And the other thing is that I think you if if you're doing you can communicate, like if you had fallen on some hard times. Look, I had a condo that I rented out and the woman's husband died in a freak accident. And she told me, and I said, look, that was awful, Like, let me give you a break.
Speaker 3: I lowered the rent. I didn't make her pay for it.
Speaker 2: I gave her back her deposit because you just communicate, I mean her, I mean, that's tragic, and I know, and she didn't pay the you know, and I just felt she was like, you know, I can't really afford this on my own, and I don't want to move at this moment because this just happened. And I was like, okay, you know, because that's awful, Like you want to be.
Speaker 3: You want to be sens communicate, don't be like I'm not paying.
Speaker 1: So she wasn't paying, so we found out, or I found out when the sheriffs came. She was doing only fans in my house, so she had money, and she gets into it.
Speaker 3: Everybody who do only fans ain't got money.
Speaker 1: Lets listen enough to subscribe to listen? I probably, but she did not pay. She didn't pay for a year.
Speaker 2: That's wild and so and it's hard to get that money, Like it's hard to get somebody to pay, you know, with the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I had to just eat that and I was like, never again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but better things come along, that's right, you know.
Speaker 1: But I will never no condos, no town homes ever. I will never do that because the hua still want they money.
Speaker 3: Yeah you still pay. Yeah, okay, so never for that.
Speaker 1: Atlanta like, y'all cool, but nah, like like I'm good. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: One experience make it feel like it's all it has.
Speaker 3: It has, But I like.
Speaker 1: I like Atlanta, but I like like when I'm there for work or for a short period of.
Speaker 3: Time, eat and the grill. Shout out to Melissa.
Speaker 1: I'm Melissa, we love you. Yeah, I really want I'd like. I like it there, but being single, no children, I don't think it's the place for me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I heard that's tough in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we know why I did that.
Speaker 2: Single by choice or yes, sorry, I just want to make sure not on the.
Speaker 3: Apps and nothing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have been, but I'm not on Have you ever had a good match on an app? For sure? For sure hit the jets right like, But that was I feel like that was a little while ago. It was the days of Raya always on Riyoso. Everybody Rya right now, I'm not, but but y'all are. But I just that's when Rya was like having the club in your pocket. It was the greatest best thing. But not anymore, but just before and after you were Pepper in the It was before. It was before and then after. I was like, let me yeah, but it was. I really liked the app. It was international.
Speaker 3: So did you say any white guys on air?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think the white guys be really interested.
Speaker 3: In Somebody told me that that on Raya.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, I mean that's the main source, are the white guys. But I don't think white guys really checked for me. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Well after this man you said you know.
Speaker 2: But so I want to ask you about because Sultin Pepa was one of my favorite groups ever, right and so watching that story and seeing you play Peppa, I gotta ask you what that experience was it?
Speaker 3: Like, were you fans of Salwn Pepper before that?
Speaker 1: What did you learn?
Speaker 3: Like that's fascinating to.
Speaker 1: Me, So Salmn Pepa. That experience like completely changed the like the direction of my career. I had a great co star, Gigi Townsend, she played song. We had such a great chemistry. We shot up in Toronto. It was amazing. Now I have an older sister, so I wasn't as well, like knowing certain music, but we had to get into the music. Mario van Peebles, he was the director nice. So it was like a dream come true. Now I'm gonna share something with you that people don't know. So I'm close with Withodi McLean, who played Bobby Brown. So I was on set during new audition and the writer at Duel, Hey I do. He wrote a new edition and Salt and Pepper, And I remember being on set like, Yo, that's so dope. You get right? You can you can rap you singing, you acting? I would love to do that. And literally three years.
Speaker 2: Later, Wow, yeah, that's Sometimes you got to put it out there.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you gotta, but you gotta put out what you want. You can't put out like, oh I'm not booking. I'm at this, that's right.
Speaker 2: It's the way that you approach things and how you manifest things exactly.
Speaker 1: But you're positive you can't because if you're like, yo, I'm broke, all the universe here is is I'm broke, So it just sends you more brokeness But you have to almost be crazy, Like I say it all the time. I say it to my mom. She's sick of it now because I'm like, I'm rich. She's like you, I'm like, I'm giving.
Speaker 3: It is giving rich, But I just.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I feel like it's so important to put out what you want people to know about you. At the same time, I'm not a fan of like showing the world or showing Instagram what I'm doing every five minutes, So I think it's like you better learn like something in the middle.
Speaker 3: I think you know what it is.
Speaker 2: It's in real life doing what you need to do, and when it's completed, then you can then you can share it with you then you can share.
Speaker 1: But I think premature, like, don't premature share something because sometimes not everybody wants what you want for yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right about that. I know there's definitely. I think as you're getting more and more successful, people are you know, they love you when you down, but when you get up they want to drag it down.
Speaker 1: And then that's a fact. But like even I don't even want to think about that part. I just want to think like when I meet people or when I see somebody, I don't have negative encounters, Like people really show love. So I really focused on that. I don't focus on like I don't be like, oh the haters, like everybody's people say.
Speaker 2: I've never heard anybody say anything bad about you. People are like, she's so cool, You're gonna have so much bend talking to her.
Speaker 1: See, I just feel like I'm honest and I'm gonna like just tell you how I really feel.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, let's have an honest moment.
Speaker 1: Let's have one.
Speaker 2: So Connie's character right on, Zatima, is it wild to be staying at your ex's house with his new pregnant woman? You do in real life? Could you see yourself being with a man pregnant?
Speaker 3: Right, and then saying you ex could come stay on the couch.
Speaker 1: I mean, she got to have her own bedroom. She has to have like an in law suite.
Speaker 2: But like they eventually got her. You know, I would have done that for the beginning. I would have said, Okay, listen, because how do you feel about somebody your dating being really close with their ex.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. We got to have a talk about that, Like we have to because not everybody is over their ex and not to be insecure. But at the same time, it's like, I don't know what you're doing. So if I don't know and I don't know that person your ex, You're nah, it's not gonna be no sleepovers. It's not there's no moving in.
Speaker 3: What have your passed? Like, what is the most serious relationship you've ever had?
Speaker 1: Oh? I really haven't been in that many relationships.
Speaker 2: But what is it one that you would say this was the most serious? Like how long did that last?
Speaker 3: Last?
Speaker 1: A few years? He was an actor, Okay, we met at work, Okay, you're waiting something together, Okay, we were pasting okay. But then after the experience, I was like, ye'ah, never do that again.
Speaker 3: Like date someone you are working with or date another actor like both.
Speaker 1: At the time, I was like, I don't never want an actor and I never want somebody I've worked.
Speaker 3: With why because it's hard.
Speaker 1: And it's like you really gotta be as secure as you can be because like that guy, he was very friendly and at that time, I'm young. I'm like young, so like, you know, you can't be like I'm a smack her. I'm tired, and you can't smack everybody, so can I just felt like it was a good relationship. I learned a lot from him, and then after that, I just I took a break, had an end.
Speaker 3: What'd you do?
Speaker 1: Not me? But I think that for him, his career was number one. Okay, I wasn't number one, which is fine because once you know that about somebody, then you can move forward with like what you.
Speaker 3: Plan to do is your career number one?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, but you need somebody that is going to be supportive of what you're doing and understand and want to like push you forward. Sometimes that is another actor though you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it is another actor, like like we got to see I don't know, but what I but what I do know is that it's got to be peaceful, it's got to be healthy. We got to be on the same page, and like that page is I don't think I want to post him. I don't think I want to share the relationship with people. I don't think I want to do that at all. I think I want to wait, like let's get married.
Speaker 2: Like pop out married and let's pop out married. But like Taylor Brooks one day, she just had a wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, what's up y'all coming? I don't, I don't think, you know, I don't. I don't think that I want to share that because I think people have opinion and that affects the relationships. So I don't. I don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: Would you google him? What you mean like if you know the first day?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I'm safe. Yeah, I'm definitely googling. I'm definitely taking a picture of the license sending it to my homegirl like where I'm still very much so doing that. But like right now, I think, I like, stop seeing American guys.
Speaker 3: American country? Are we on?
Speaker 1: I mean I was open. I mean they were overseas.
Speaker 3: But like overseas where I need a country or London?
Speaker 1: Okayis right? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like Okay, the blokes, Yeah, it was just.
Speaker 1: It was different because the American guys were not like all, let me out here roam and just be single this long, like, oh, let me take my show on the road. So I took to like Nigeria too. Maybe I've been to Ghana. Okay, Ghana, went to Ghana?
Speaker 3: How was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't really feeling me. I don't believe this and everything.
Speaker 2: How do you know someone's like I don't even understand what that means because I can't fathom you being out there and you're single, dumb and nobody's feeling you.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: So I went for Ditsy December, so I go.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We had just wrapped the season of Zatima. So I fly from Atlanta to a cry, which is Ghana, and I just didn't feel the love, you know how Like everyone's like when you get to Africa, you're gonna cry and you're gonna feel and I was like it's gonna come. It didn't come, and then I was like out and about. I just felt like nobody was.
Speaker 3: Really feeling me, Like maybe you're intimidating.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear that, Like you don't think that no, cause I feel like I'm too down to earth and cool for someone to be intimidated. Like, if you're intimidated, I don't think you're a person.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, Dan, I sent you this post because when I see stuff like certain things online, you know how people be putting up all these like we call it gurus of the ground. Yes, everybody got their own little expertise and something else.
Speaker 3: I want to because one guy, one woman did this post. I want to see what you think about this. Hold on, let me pull it up, all right, she said, hold on.
Speaker 2: Basically, she was saying she was a red flag to a guy because he said she was too friendly. She knew everybody on the block and she said hi to everybody. And he was like, that's too much for me. Somebody that a woman thats too friendly and he felt like she was too accessible.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get that, but you do I was like, what, No, I get it, because sometimes there is something when you know everybody, it's like, well, how do you know everybody? Like? How do you know them? Let's be like, let's be clear. For what if you're in entertainment, you do know a lot of people, but how we're gonna speak to you? Yeah, but how do you know them? Is it like? Homegirl? Are like, no, we used to mess around. No, granted, like it's been times like gonna You're gonna fall for somebody in your work. That's normal. So I don't I think he's insecure or maybe you should find somebody like closer to what you do.
Speaker 3: She was like, I didn't know that was a red flag.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't be not at all.
Speaker 3: Oh, here it is, I said.
Speaker 2: I texted my exody after he has ghosted me for over a year, and he finally told me the reason he did that. I never knew this could be a red flag, though, and he said, the thing is, you know almost everyone in the neighborhood. The first time I followed you to your house, you were relating with everyone in the area. If I'm not exaggerating, you greeted about fifteen people from the junction to your house, and I'm not comfortable with that. It's given a vibe like you are too accessible. I want me a woman that frowns all over the city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I frowned a lot, But I do I have like a like I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Have bitch face.
Speaker 1: I have Ain't nobody approached you in a crowd, No, no, No, it's like.
Speaker 3: You're frowning all over the city.
Speaker 1: No, if you see me in the gym, I'm smiling. If you see me after yoga, I'm smiling. If you see me at the grove, like I have a because like I'm pleasant. But I feel like I left LA. Let me be honest. I left LA and I left LA because I felt like I had outgrown La. La is like Peter Pan. So once you're over twenty five, y like old ass, like hold on. So I left, I came back. I'm looking for a place in New York because we love that. Yeah, I have my real estate license, I do, but I really, but this is the thing I want, like a furnished rental.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's easy short term.
Speaker 1: Because I don't know if I'm gonna be. I don't know where I'm gonna be. I came to up someplace back.
Speaker 2: Overseas, London, Paris, anywhere. Literally, when did people first start recognizing you? Do you remember from from your work?
Speaker 1: I mean, let's take it back. I used to be on Vine back in the day, like super back in the day. So from that I felt like people would be like, are.
Speaker 3: You girl from Bye created a lot of stuff?
Speaker 1: Yo, it did, So that was like the first time I somebody would ask and then I think I had I have my own show on Bounce and Bounce. It was like m m hey Bentley, Hey, everybody had bounced, but it was yeah, it was maas small, so maybe one person would say something. But once Connie got into that second third season, like, that's when it got real. If I'm in Atlanta, always gonna happen?
Speaker 3: Do you enjoy having rules but you're not glamorous?
Speaker 1: Of course, I like I love it because then it just feels more grounded, more real than like you're super glam You're like, that's not real. We just talked about we both like sweatpants. So if I like sweatpants, like I could play a character like that, or I can play something that is glamorous, but it doesn't have to be exactly who I am, because if it's who I am, then I'm not acting right.
Speaker 2: So, although some people say it's hard to act as something that you really relate to, I've heard that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if I agree with that. I feel like, if you're playing something that you're familiar with, where's the stretch? Like I like to see actors really push themselves to a limit and play something different. So sometimes if it's too comfortable, like you start to give the same performance.
Speaker 3: Right right, you know.
Speaker 1: So, I mean there's plenty of actors that people like to give the same performance. I'm just not a fan of it.
Speaker 2: Where were you when you found out you got a role in the final season of The Shy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I was back by that time. I was here in New York and I remember the call because my manager at the time was like, Hey, I want to talk to you. I'm like, okay, I'm like, what's up. Because I hadn't worked in like a year?
Speaker 3: Wow? Really yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe nine months, but it felt like a year. And thank you lean Away. She gave me an opportunity and I went on the show. I'm playing Jordan, and it was just a great experience to be on a show that has so much like legendary people on it storyline and now it's the last season. So I was really grateful, and I'm just you know, you look for opportunities like that. I remember one day I talked to Wendy Roquel Robinson and she I've watched her for years, you know what I mean, Like, it's to be around people that can pour into you, and even if they can't pour, if I just listened, I should be able to pick something up.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that was That's an amazing part of history. You know, the shot had such a great run. I was talking about that earlier eight seasons crazy. Yeah, phenomenal. And you're also an ambassador for the American Cancer Society, and I know that work in particular is important and close to your heart, like we were discussing earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that because I had a friend that was dealing with the colon cancer, I was able to become an abassador Because I'm telling you the outpour of people saying I watched this and I cried and my mother went through it. I just felt like I have to do something. I have to have a cause my grandfather passed away from colon cancer, so it's not too far from me.
Speaker 2: There is nobody I think that doesn't know somebody who has had cancer. Like seriously, it's it's insane to me that this is something that is so prevalent.
Speaker 1: And there's still when you think about Chadwick Boseman, like do you remember I remember that timeline of how quick it happened, and I think that if we really pour into like but it's the food that we eat. It's it's a lot of factors. But you have to be educated because if you don't know, yeah, if you don't know products that we use and when we think about like our hair products, is a lot of different things. But if you just like, so, let's be honest. When you go overseas, the food.
Speaker 3: Is very Oh it's fresh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's certain things that we have here they would never overseas. It's illegal, right, but here we are in the corner store.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But even if you go get like, let's say, an orange soda here was like orange neon over there, it's like yellow and it's a smaller portion. It's just it's just better. Like I had pizza, not even in Italy, but I've had pizza in Italy amazing. Okay, come on, that's a flex I mean light, but but yeah, but I had some pizza in London and I was like, it felt like God kissed the tomato and put it in the ground. It was literally the best pizza. So when I came back here to had.
Speaker 3: Like things taste artificial.
Speaker 1: It's hard and I'm like, you know what I'm saying. I was born and raised on pizza. Hello, Like I was born in Jersey, like, raised on pizza in the comeback and be like, yeah, I don't want that pisa no more.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'm you know, I'm from New York, so give me that greasy but I also know that, yes, you can't have that every day.
Speaker 1: Not every not every day day. But like, give me my jerk, give me my right rights, give me my cabbage.
Speaker 3: But I saw you were in Jamaica too, celebrating.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm always celebrating, like like I'm always a girl, was always celebrating, Like I just was in Turks. I went to Turks by myself. You did, but but but to be honest, then I flew one of my friends.
Speaker 3: Like a guy. Dang, that could be trafficking.
Speaker 1: I know no there was right, I sound bad nomall boy, but like because sometimes people can't get the time off from work and you're like you want to go someplace and they.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, oh my gosh, that's so funny. So one of my best friends in high school, we went to Bermuda for her birthday.
Speaker 3: We put it in our group chat, like who wants to go?
Speaker 2: Thinking like all our friends, was gonna at least three or four people. It ended up being just mere right because no one else came.
Speaker 1: Nobody can go or nobody like you, I can get the time off for the kids.
Speaker 3: Here's is expensive to.
Speaker 1: Turks super expensive?
Speaker 3: Babe is pricey? Baby? Did you go to the tiki bar and Noah's ark all of that?
Speaker 1: I went to know what's arc? It was raining, so I was like, no, it's not, but I went. I got. I went there, you know, like at the same time, I understand people go there, but I really wanted to relax and I really.
Speaker 3: Wanted to vacation. Is you like, I gotta like be out and about all the time for work. I was trying to open.
Speaker 1: Up a bank account there. I wasn't really worried, Like I wasn't worried about the other things. Let me give my bank account. But I just, you know, like I had fun, and I've been a lot of places in the world. I'm really really blessed to be able to travel. Been to Ballei, Costa Rica.
Speaker 3: That's where he went on his honeymoon.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: People always said you gotta go. He got. He had Bali belly though.
Speaker 1: Oh I heard it at Yeah, I didn't have it, thank god, but I was doing I was doing yoga there. I did yoga there. You can only drink bottle water. I mean, but that's like everywhere you want to do that. So but I've been so many places. I went to Dubai by myself.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you travel alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, who am I waiting for? I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's not even just that, I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've never traveled anywhere by myself, except if it's like for work to go to like Orlando or something. You know, but no, you got it, like the first time I take you alone. The first time I did it, I went to Bali and I went to like a yoga retreat so I can like get it at peace and one with myself. And I did that and after that because that was the first time, and my mom was like, are you sure, I'm like, yeah, I could go anywhere now, and I can make a friend anywhere I go.
Speaker 1: I always meet people.
Speaker 3: Have you done ayahuasca or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I haven't done ayahuasca, but I did do something called buffo, which is like it's not ayahuasca, but you know it's it's along the lines. It's a much shorter time, okay, like ayahuasca is like hour all day. Yeah, and before was like I did that in Toulon, Okay, and it was I had a great experience.
Speaker 3: Did you go there alone?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 3: Okay. I like that. I admire that.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I you know, but but I admire that you can have, you know, the bravery to do that.
Speaker 3: And I think it is.
Speaker 2: I tried to go on a trip by myself once. It was only to Miami, and then next thing I know, my friends are like, I'm coming, I'm crashing in your roller.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think I would travel by myself in the continent is who us? I don't think I would do that. I want to be overseas, Okay.
Speaker 3: Have you ever felt unsafe?
Speaker 1: No, not at all. I was. I was in Colombia. I was learning to read Spanish and my mom was like, yo, lady, they might take you. I'm like, I'm safe. My mother is I'm like, who's gonna take it?
Speaker 3: Take you?
Speaker 1: The minner of this, Who's gonna get me? So I just remember being there and I always feel safe. I might not feel safe here like even driving here. I drove here, a car didn't come get me. Thanks guys, you drove here and you paid to park. I did do a go fundme from my parking, like in New York is crazy, No, it's it's crazy. But you also have to understand I've been in LA for so long, so I'm always good.
Speaker 3: From Jersey, it's no thing to drive to New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still, like, I don't really want to do it. But let me tell you, I'm going to turn on the red light and then I'm just gonna be like.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, I'm from Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: New York is like the only place you can turn right on rest.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm turning and in some places you could turn left from a one way to a one way, which was shocking to me.
Speaker 3: Listen, learn all the different rules.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing. I have my car here, so I want to drive. I'm not ready. I can't get on the train. It's hard, and I don't want to. I just don't want to be around people. I don't like how people smell, so like, I don't like people's breath. So once I get like, I just think me being in the car is the best thing.
Speaker 3: So I can't wait to see who you end up with.
Speaker 1: Me too, me too. You better be strong, be strong, I don't know, hopefully somebody, hopefully soon because I'm ready to be a mom.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I love that. All right, Well, we just put that in the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: I feel like once you put things out there like it comes, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Speak it comes. Now.
Speaker 2: I do have to ask you lastly, do you have anything else that you're working on that we should know about, because I want to make sure you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's been a tremendous year.
Speaker 1: For you, it has. Thank you. I'm so blessed to be able to say that as an actor. To be on two shows at the same time. It's like unheard of big shows. Yeah, so I know that. I think the team was coming back, so I'm excited. We already did season five, so that has the hair so supposedly season six, but auditioning and just like trying not to get depressed because you go from being so busy to nothing right.
Speaker 3: It has its ups and down.
Speaker 1: It has its ups and down. So like just making sure that I, like, I feel good and you know, if I don't all go to Turks.
Speaker 3: Now you can come with us to Saint Martin.
Speaker 2: I'm reading us very genially, I'm ready naturally an rhythm. And lastly, do you have a Tyler Perry story? Everybody who comes up here has an amazing Tyler Perry story. And clearly, like you've been casting on the show for seasons and seasons and seasons. What's your Tyler Perry oh story?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is like my first season and I've never seen him in person ever, and he was directing the scene and you know, everybody like they know him. I don't know him though, and I'm about to do my scene and I'm very quiet. I'm like trying to do it. And he was like, I saw you're saying it was good, Kayla. I was like, Layla. He was like Jayla, Leyla.
Speaker 3: I just was like that's yeah.
Speaker 1: But he was like he's mad tall, he's like sixty five, and I just I didn't I didn't know, but I was nervous, but I was just so grateful and it's been a really good experience me being there.
Speaker 3: They shoot different, yeah that's what everyone says.
Speaker 1: They shoot fast, so it's like you have to know and and me coming in like I didn't. I didn't know it was that fast. Like on a good day we could shoot between eighty and one hundred pages.
Speaker 3: That's a movie, let me tell you. That is one.
Speaker 2: Everybody says that, but I guess you weren't prepared so you actually had to do it.
Speaker 1: No. I wasn't prepare because normally, like you'll be like, oh, we're going to block the scene and then we'll come back after lunch. They was like, come back, what we are? I said, I don't know the singing. I don't know this because how I thought I was going to be able to go to lunch and learn it right and then come back I mean with it's a lot. So I've really got the hang of it. It has I've gotten better as an actor because you don't have multiple takes and you better get it right and you better know what you're talking about. So I think that that's sharpened my skills like one hundred percent. So I'm grateful.
Speaker 2: You've also earlier said that you were talking about writing as well. Is that something you're doing I did?
Speaker 1: I did. I wrote my own project based on something that I was experienced, which was like dating a guy from overseas. So I wrote that, and I'm thinking it should be a vertical.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I cannot wait to see this there. I think it should have gave up on the US, and there's a reason why.
Speaker 1: I mean, y'all let me be single before one hundred years. So that's that's why I gave up. Y'all gave up for me. So I just I mean, we'll see, but I'm always open to an American guy.
Speaker 3: Okay, right there we go.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate you for coming through, Leila. You gotta come do lip service at least one day.
Speaker 1: I'm ready, because are we gonna be able to talk nasty? Very yes?
Speaker 3: Book me now, Leila Odim.
Speaker 2: You can watch her as Connie on Zatima. You could see her as Jordan right now on the shot. Flash back to some of her earlier work. You know, you gotta go back and watch that Salt and Peppa again, please, you know, classic classic, Okay, and she's single. Just putting that out there, so we're manifesting. All right, that's way up.
Speaker 3: Thank you,