Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: This is rout Fresh Radio. I'm your host, Casey Smith. It is officially white Taill Hot Week. Everybody is going wild, including the big bucks. We have a big cold front coming in this week across the country and everybody is stoked. However, you still have to make the right moves. Let's figure out what those are. This is Retfresh, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Welcome to rut Fresh Radio, brought to you by first Light Gear. I'm your host Tyler Jones, and I've got another host here. His name is Casey Smith.
Speaker 2: Finally, dude, I actually get to do some work for once. Klein Joe has been holding it down the rough way to go. It ain't that much work. It's not unless.
Speaker 3: It's it's actually a lot of fun to get talk to all these people, especially when you got you know, guys like Jannis Ptellius on the phone with you. It could just you know, tell you just stories that you just key in on. Man. Somehow people like that can just hold your attention so well, you know, and he's been out there, you know, doing a bunch of stuff up in the Upper Midwest. We've got guys from the Midwest doing this. We got guys from the South this week, but everybody is taking rut vacations to the Midwest, so we wanted to have this week be a Midwest heavy episode.
Speaker 2: Why still radiates out from the Midwest for sure, it truly does.
Speaker 3: I love Texas.
Speaker 2: I mean, we have a rich hunting culture here for white tail deer especially, but I mean Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Missouri.
Speaker 3: That's just what you think. And the beauty of those states man is like you can go hunt, you know, your your uncle's property. It's one hundred and sixty acres or public peace and you stand a chance of like a big, big deer showing up. But in Texas you kind of got to have some money to have, you know, most of the time, right, not all the time.
Speaker 2: But you can feel great about a forty in hour. You know, it's just a it's a different different and that's why it's cool. It ain't we ain't being critical. It is awesome, sure, and I hope we get to hunt there next year. Yeah, but it seems as if the cold front has pushed through. There's been some hot weather. Yeah, you made some choices bad according to hot weather, bad ones. Tell me about those choices time. Why do I have to tell everybody?
Speaker 3: It is? There's like thousands of people that are going to hear how dumb I am. No, no, no, So you you came home from a winter wonderland, my goodness, and with a nice buck and toe potentially man potentially, And then you know, we were fixing to get ready to go on our kind of vacation and uh, we're trying to figure out what date and you're like, uh, you know, I'm gonna spend a little bit time with the family and then go out this day. And I was like, I was gonna go a day before you. Well, I looked for my my E tag, but I was looking for the physical version of this E tag. It's what the EMS. I looked for like an hour and a half, dude, I was. I tore my entire house apart just my truck. I cleaned my truck pretty much, but I did and could not find the saying I was eating dust. I'm highly allergic. So I'm just sitting there just sneezing and throwing a fit, you know. And uh then I realized and finally I was like, okay, this is it an e tag. I've never done any tag before, so I don't know. Maybe so anyway, yes, I looked for that for a while. I got tired and I sit down and I look. I start looking at the trail cameras from this area that we're going, and I'm like, man, uh, there's like no daylight pictures of bucks and hardly even doze over the last like three days. And I start thinking, you know what, it's been pretty hot attally, it's it warmed up a lot after that cold front. And I mean in Texas it's been in the eighties, you know. And so I'm just sitting here thinking, man, let's just look at the weather and see when the hot streak ends, well the ends, you know Thursday for most of the country or whatever, is when Wednesday Thursdays when kind of that cold front starts to come in. And so I was like, okay, well I'll wait a little bit later to go and do some some hunting and lo and behold, instead of leaving that morning and hunting that afternoon, I decided to leave a few days later. Well, that next morning comes and you know, no big deal. I think you had just gotten home. I'm doing some work stuff. And then that evening comes around when I should be hunting, and there are some golden pictures of a Mondo eight point. There's a couple in there in daylight in the last few days. Yeah, so it's, uh, there's this thing, there's this thing, there's a there's a there's a slope that continuously goes up as it goes to the right on the graph, and it goes up until it starts going back down probably and like maybe maybe mid to late November, but it's going up right now, and it is it is rough movement essentially right and every day so like you have another you have another line that can cross this slope at any point and give you your amount of deer movement. And it's called weather, right, and so your weather can help at times, it can move that point up and down this this slope of deer movement. Right. So we got to the point where we're at the point now where deer movement is about at the peak that it can possibly be at on a standalone basis, and then you know, the so that the weather doesn't even affect this thing, and whereas like in the last few days's weather kind of still affected it because there's still not fully where the peak of that deer movement. So the X Y data point for later this week is real good because that's going to push it and the weather's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: So that's the that's the kind of the shining piece in this thing, is that your decision still might have been good because I just checked the trail camera. There's a brand new buck on there. Oh I don't know if you shoot or not. It's kind of young, but he's big. I mean, you know, one shooter years old. For me, I guarantee you he's an eight point with long times. But that happens now. I'm just that's what I was getting to.
Speaker 3: I made a dumb point way too long, but like a good point way too long by being dumb. So anyway, the the the as the days go into November past that first week, even I think you just even despite weather being warm, you start to see And that's where we got to where you know, we had we didn't have quiet the rut influence and the testosterone influence to have. It just was a perfect story of me looking at cameras and then all of a sudden it's like, Okay, well it's the fifth or sixth or whatever it is. It's like it's time and they just show up anyway, even if it's seventy to eighty degrees or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, if you think Toder and I make good decisions or bad decisions or indecisive either way, if you want to hear more about what we think about the rut, we've been doing a Rut Q and A. We've got a ton of questions about the rut. So if you go check out the Element podcast, we just launched a brand new Q and A on that, and then also coming up soon, if you heard a little allusion to maybe a deer that might have went down up in the North Country on some public ground, you want to hear.
Speaker 3: That story, go check out the Element podcast as well. We'll get into that.
Speaker 2: But today we're going to get into some rut hype from a couple of guys around the country.
Speaker 3: Who are those dudes. Well, so we've got our good buddy read Struble, who's been on before at some point in this season. I think he was the first week. He sure was, and he he hunts that trifecta area of the US where they don't really know where they're from, you know what I'm talking about. It's like Indiana, maybe Tennessee was even in there. So he's he's actually killed him his first buck uh with a trad bow in Indiana, uh this week. So he's given us a report from Indiana, which is a state that you don't hear. It kind of flies under the radar a little bit, but it has the potential to have a big, big deer. In fact, I think the number two typical from last year, the number two typical in the world, came from Indiana, right.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, I believe. So do you know that there are some giants there. I talked to a guy a few years back that had a ranch there and or a farm whatever they call him up there.
Speaker 3: And monsters yep.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: We also have like I mentioned earlier, our good buddy Jannis Pitelis. He's been up in Wisconsin doing the Latvian thing up there and hunting them deer, you know, is that uh they call it Eastern Europe. Was that Wisconsin? No Latvia? Yeah, sure, it's I don't know for sure where it's at. There is a polka influence in Wisconsin, right, That's what I remember when we did when we put together the Illinois buck truck and we were real close to Wisconsin, there was bunchreal tell me that that polka music was big up there. Jake Hofer another good buddy of ours, who's one of those guys like Sam Hogan if you heard him last week. He is like just the humble, laughy guy that pretends like he can't kill here and then every year he ends up killing Mondo's. And he also has got his thumb on the pulse. Dude, Oh he does. He is tax show. Yeah, dude, I'm letting listen. If you know this guy, do not tell him Anything's okay. He will figure it out. He makes fun of us for finding all his spots because we have, but he will do the same back to you. So you got to watch that guy, Jake Hofer in Illinois. Man, he's got a good report. Killed a nice buck and then uh oh, Lay McNasty from Louisiana down south hanging out in the swamps getting mac nasty down there. He's been out hunting actually in the Midwest in Missouri, but he's now back in his I guess home state of Louisiana and he's doing some hunting around there. So he's got a good report for us from the South. Things are starting to pop off there as well. So we're gonna get all these guys on the phone and see what is going on all throughout the Midwest and there in Louisiana once again world famous read Struggle the man who first made the mullet popular. What's going on, dude?
Speaker 5: Man? That is quite the intro.
Speaker 3: What's going on? You just interviewing a guy who's killed a buck in Indiana? What about you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, I'm just you know, been hunting really hard.
Speaker 7: Talking to a couple of Texas guys that are that are working hard right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got you got someboddies up there that are from Texas and y'all been deer hunting a little bit, right, has it been?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, Yes, sir, it's been incredible.
Speaker 7: This weekend just was pretty much textbook is hard a pre rudders who could get cold fronts, you know, real cold in the morning, good even sits warm up up. And basically we had deer around us Saturday morning, saw five deer, three bucks.
Speaker 5: Two those I killed my buck on that.
Speaker 7: Evening, Saturday evening, and then we killed two more bucks yesterday morning on Sunday, the fifth in thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: That's maximizing right there. Okay, so we got to unpick this just a little bit. How Okay, that's a special thing to happen. What's the tactic because it had to they had to be kind of connected, right, what's the tactic that made that happen?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so, yeah, absolutely, So the three bucks are separating on two separate properties. But so mine was actually, you know, hunting on private land and my folks.
Speaker 5: Which was really cool. I killed my first buck with.
Speaker 7: Traditional equipment, and he was working. He's right mouth open, you know, working a bench and checking. You know, he stopped for I actually shot him while he was moving, you know, he basically never never really stopped. He's just kind of slowly trotting through and shot him at eight yards double lung, and he literally died in twenty yards.
Speaker 5: Never knew it happened.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was incredible, twenty literally with twenty Yes.
Speaker 8: Literally with twenty just oh man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, incredible. He didn't even know what happened.
Speaker 7: He stood underneath my tree and had the wobbles, you know, underneath me, and then did a death dive and died.
Speaker 5: It rolled down the hill at twenty yards.
Speaker 7: It was while my buddy from Texas who drove didn't sleep for thirty six hours, watched the entire thing happen.
Speaker 3: That's cool. That is cool.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, died right in front of his tree.
Speaker 10: It was incredible.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, he was working, you know, basically we're set up on a bench, expect with the wind in our favor, expecting him, you know, dear to be working that bench trying to catch a set of a hot dough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, essentially, So cruising bucks is the thing, and you're finding beach on terrain that do that. Or are those deer using the wind mostly or is it they're just coming in to a place they know does hang out or what's that look like?
Speaker 7: The three bucks that we've had less one of them. One was a little different than the other ones, but two were, you win, in their favor. They're working these benches in the morning. We had killed the one working a bench, you know, trying to catch those rising thermals. And then my buck was at the lowest bench on the ridge on the hillface and trying to pull those thermals down to them, and we were set up.
Speaker 3: Just belowing, gotcha, gotcha? So are they heading? Are those benches heading towards h food source or are they heading towards doe betting?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so the the one that both of them are coming from betting going to a food source was the travel root or vice versa. One was coming in one of the morning, so they're basically going to the food source, are coming back, and these benches are running from one to the other. And then the biggest of the three bucks, we rattled in and had him at I had him at twenty eight, and he swung to get our wind, buggered on us and went straight up the hillside and walked fifteen yards underneath of my buddy.
Speaker 5: His big, biggest buck of his life.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I killed with his grandpa's compound, an old eighty four oh night.
Speaker 10: So that was really really cool.
Speaker 7: It was an incredible experience and actually had to views a had to use a drone to.
Speaker 6: End up finding it.
Speaker 5: So we found it yeah, it was. It was very interesting, but it did work. He went seven hundred yards.
Speaker 7: It was a gut shot and found him seven hundred yards and went and got him.
Speaker 3: The No One waist up in your neck of the woods man, good stuff.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, yeah, exactly all means necessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So in the next week, do you expect things to be very similar?
Speaker 7: I'm we've got the next couple of days just from trail cameras.
Speaker 5: We just pulled a couple of cams.
Speaker 7: Things are were really really hot for the over the weekend. I think it's going to slow down.
Speaker 5: For a day or two. But we've got a front coming in on Thursday, and I think this is going to fire up in this weekend. Is going to be really good.
Speaker 7: They're they're pushing hard, and I've noticed it's been a lot of younger bucks that have been pushing the dose.
Speaker 5: I don't know quite how many, you know.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen a Doe and heat with five bucks chasing their by any means yet, but I think there's mature bucks this week into this weekend.
Speaker 5: It's going to be when you.
Speaker 7: See the you know what everyone's looking for with a crazy I like to hear it.
Speaker 5: Man, So it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: You know, if you had to rank it on a scale of one to ten, what are you going to call it.
Speaker 7: I'm going to give the next two days a good old.
Speaker 5: Five probably, but I'm giving Thursday to.
Speaker 6: Saturday a nine.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a high number. Let's go. Well, appreciate it, man.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna put it put a hot number. I think it's gonna be good.
Speaker 5: We're going to see some big We're going to see some big ones get killed.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, dude.
Speaker 2: We'll congrats on all the success y'all are having up there, man, And I can't wait to see the next big book picture you send us.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, appreciate y'all.
Speaker 2: On the phone, I have got Yannis poutell Us with meat Eater. He is in Wisconsin hunting up some whitetail deer.
Speaker 3: Giannie. What's going on, man?
Speaker 8: H I'm hammering, man, I'm putting my rut cation.
Speaker 11: Uh, it's gone from rut cation to the rout grind.
Speaker 3: That's what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where is the pivot point on that exactly?
Speaker 8: I would say it's.
Speaker 11: Probably around days six or seven for me, I think I'm about nine days in, so I was, I.
Speaker 10: Was, I was.
Speaker 11: I was pretty high spirited all the way through that. But uh, I also hit a buck and didn't recover it. And so that's that's been a little bit of a low.
Speaker 8: Point, a little bit of a hole I'm climbing out of.
Speaker 11: But I got one day left and the weather's gonna be nice and cool, and the wind's gonna be calm in the morning. So I'm looking forward to hopefully one more.
Speaker 8: Day of good rut hunting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that's good. I'm sorry you didn't recover that buck. But that's bow hunting.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a very cliche thing to say, but if you are a bowhunter, you understand that for sure. Yeah, you have a big time span there that you've spent in the woods. See, I'm sure you've got to see like the rut come alive almost, which is like a really great privilege. But what have the deer been doing the past few days there in Wisconsin?
Speaker 8: Uh, just the past few days?
Speaker 11: You know, when I when I shot my bot, he was on his feet at three point thirty in the afternoon, just cruising, just caughting across dough trails that led from a ridge down to h to a course to a standing corn field. And I knew I had a half dozen you know, trails going up and down from the dose, and a.
Speaker 8: Trail going across all of them.
Speaker 11: I figured, you know, some bucks would be cruising it, and sure enough he was at three thirty.
Speaker 8: Just about every day.
Speaker 11: This week, I've had all day activity of some cruising of some sort. Surprisingly, the only day that I've actually seen a buck with a dough was October thirtieth.
Speaker 8: Now that was the one day I saw.
Speaker 3: A big front. I guess, huh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 11: Like I got in here right when that front got here. I was probably I was one day late. I missed the first day of it. But now I was in the tree on the thirtieth, and yeah, they came by me right at first, like it was too dark still to shoot. But like I said, ever since then, it's been good activity.
Speaker 8: Almost all day long.
Speaker 11: I'm hunting the ridgetops mostly so I can have good wind, and they seem to be more active, more action up there in the mornings. My evening's up there tend to be a little bit slower, and so I've been the last few days. Aside from looking for that buck, I've been moving off the ridgetops and trying to hunt down closer towards the ag and the valley bottoms.
Speaker 6: In the evenings.
Speaker 3: You've mentioned the wind a couple of times, Johnas, what can you kind of explain the dynamic you have going on there? What hypothesis you have as to why the evenings are slower than the mornings or vice versa, or what all's going on there? Exactly?
Speaker 8: Well, I wish I knew Yler. Maybe it's very hilly country.
Speaker 11: We've got about two hundred to two hundred and fifty feet of elevation relief between the valley bottoms and the ag and these ridge tops, and some of these draws and valleys aren't more than, you know, a couple hundred three hundred yards apart. And so when you get these anything that picks up over ten miles an hour, really when it comes across those rich and then it drops into these bowls, who knows what it's doing. I'm still trying to figure all that out.
Speaker 2: So this is country that you grew up hunting, rot This is kind of like your childhood deer camp. And I know just from talks with you you kind of came into archery hunting as an adult a little bit more so, how's your approach changed in that type of country as you kind of have to change or do change your tactics.
Speaker 8: You know, it's it's big woods country.
Speaker 11: We don't there's no besides the little bit of ag that's at the at the foot of the hills. Otherwise everything all that land, you know, the four or five hundred acres I have access to is basically just.
Speaker 8: All big mature oak forest.
Speaker 11: There's been some clear cutting done in there and some selective cutting, but for the most part you're hunting woods, and so finding the edge habitat, finding the funnels is tricky.
Speaker 8: It's it's not easy to do.
Speaker 11: So a lot of times the easiest thing to do is just fine where three or four riches come together and set up set up on the down wind side of that. But I'd say the biggest thing that's just changed from being just a kid coming up here rifle haunting to you know, now being a bull hunter is just having to you know, take that, take what you think about the deer movement in this country and just pinpoint it down to a place where you're gonna have a twenty yard shot.
Speaker 3: Are there any acrons falling?
Speaker 11: You know, it's funny because they're actually not because they have all fallen, But there are places where you will literally roll down the.
Speaker 8: Hill after ball bearings. We had.
Speaker 11: We had such a good acorn crop this year, a lot of them, actually, some of the like one of my spots I love to haunt.
Speaker 8: I call it the Oak Flat.
Speaker 11: It's just it's just kind of one of those ridge tops, but it opens up and it's eighty yards across and I walk that thing and it's pretty.
Speaker 8: It's just been picked clean.
Speaker 11: So the bears and the deer and the turkey ball been in there, are just hammering those acorns. So there's a few places where you can find a bunch of them, but the critters have been on them.
Speaker 2: Well, we have another cold front that's supposed to kind of move through the country over the next week, and I know that you're fixing to wrap up your hunt here. But as any good hunter, I'm sure you're sitting there thinking about just what might happen in the woods going forward.
Speaker 3: What do you expect the deer to be doing here in the next week.
Speaker 11: Well, it seems like with that cold front that the pressure is also gonna come up. And it sure seemed like over the last week when that pressure was high, there was a little bit more movement than when it dropped off, which you know, I think everybody knows that they tend to move more when the pressures up. So that's coming with this cold front. So that's gonna be good. But I'd say in general, it's just gonna keep getting.
Speaker 6: Better and better and better.
Speaker 11: And I still think from today, which is the seventh, right, guys, this six or six or seven, it's been a long stretch for me. I feel like there's still gonna be two or three good days of just that, like good kind of seeking cruising activity until you start getting some bucks that are gonna be more into, you know, finding their dough and getting locked down, and then you're gonna get into that part where you're like, oh man, nothing's going on, But it's just because you're not in that spot wherever everything's going on.
Speaker 3: You know. So with all this in mind, if you had to put a number on it from on a scale of one to ten, what would you what would you like guess that the buck movement is gonna be like in the next week.
Speaker 8: Nine, the third game.
Speaker 11: I'm an eternal optimist and I've I've been hunting like a i'd say, like a six or a seven, and I just feel like it's just ramp It's gonna ramp up again with like you guys said this next cold front and so yeah, man, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 8: I wish I had more days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate the optimism, dude. And the comulatve score this week is like really high we're.
Speaker 3: Looking at it's.
Speaker 9: Like thirty eight.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's officially wattail Hop week, and we appreciate you being on to share the hop you honest, thanks man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're welcome. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 3: Jake Koper is on the way to Iowa, but he's been in Illinois hunting big bucks in a state that has a lot of them sometimes, at least in the past, it has, Jake, Jake, you killed one recently, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, man, I was fortunate enough to notch my Illinois tag on November third in the.
Speaker 10: Evening about five thirty.
Speaker 3: Golly, this is one last big one in Illinois.
Speaker 9: Now, for sure, one last, but there's still a few running around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's kind of early in the in the rut for the scheme of things. And I know you pretty well, and I feel like you usually you're kind of playing it safe and being conservative and slipping in on one a little later in the year usually. So I was just surprised that you went ahead and killed this early. Was there something that you really picked out on this deer that was like the tactic to go to?
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: I wish I could sound really smart and tell you all these different things I had figured out.
Speaker 10: But I was in Iowa, Honting.
Speaker 9: I hunted in Iowa for eight days, and I was in the stand Friday morning. I was like, man, I really feel like I can go back and kill a salader in Illinois over the weekend before things really frank off in Iowa. And so I packed up a ten o'clock drove straight to the farm. And November three has always been one of my favorite days. I feel that there's a lot of solid year covering some distance, and I did some work on this farm and ironically drove straight.
Speaker 10: To the farm.
Speaker 9: This is the first time I ever set up in this new mouse trap, and I worked perfectly.
Speaker 10: It was a deer.
Speaker 9: Governing some distance, not a deer that I had around very often. I had some velvet pictures of them, and it was just a classic He was looking for a dough, I think, and there was some other good deer that started to show up on that farm. And I think one of the biggest challenges this year is being there before it happens. And there was just the inkling of information that things were.
Speaker 10: Starting to get really good there.
Speaker 9: So I drove straight there and read the script twenty yards and had an Illinois buck down after like three out person in the blind there. So it was one of those weird things that doesn't work out often, but holy cow, what it does?
Speaker 10: You feel kind of smart?
Speaker 3: M hey, can you explain what the mousetrap is?
Speaker 9: Absolutely so the mouse trap. So I got this farm, there was a blind on it, and it was a situation where you'd have to be access to the line wasn't ideal.
Speaker 10: You'd have to.
Speaker 9: Walk where the deer where they're vetted or probably gonna see you walk in. You have to walk straight through the food plot and lay down a lot of grounds. And so what I did this year is I moved that blind and actually dozed into new access road just straight down this hill and I can slip right in, not even step foot into the food plot. And how the architecture of the plot, there's a really good pinch where your SHOT's gonna be fifteen to twenty yards and you're gonna see him coming. And that's exactly what happened. I mean, it worked exactly.
Speaker 10: How I imagine when I did it, and that's really rewarding just just see some of that work.
Speaker 9: Actually pay off and everything come together. It just fixed up for all the times where it doesn't work out yet you plan.
Speaker 3: Was that was? So was the deer eating in the food plot or was he cruising?
Speaker 9: He was cruising, Yeah, so he was cruising.
Speaker 10: I seen him.
Speaker 9: And when I saw him, I was like, man, this year is a big frame. And I was like, you kind of go through that archive in your brain as fast as possible as.
Speaker 10: You see him coming.
Speaker 9: And I was like, man, he's got a big frame. I think he's got a sticker on us too, I said. In the back of my mind, I was like, I'm pretty sure I had one in the summer that was like that, and it was. It was definitely in that deer and it was kind of funny I grunted at him.
Speaker 10: He was twenty yards.
Speaker 9: I probably shouldn't have run at him. I know there's a debate that you stop the deer or do you not. And I tried stopping him. I was already at full draw, and he whipped and looked square at me. And so he's looking square.
Speaker 10: At me, I'm not taking that shot. And then he started to quarter away.
Speaker 9: But it was still a hard quartering qu shot and I put it right right in his armpit.
Speaker 10: And you know, I didn't see him go down.
Speaker 9: And this is probably something this is probably timely information for everyone.
Speaker 10: I did not see him down go down.
Speaker 9: I got my arrow, and I felt it was a good shot, but I was a little concerned with how hard he was quartering too. If my shot was this two inches further back, he was probably gonna be a straight stomach shot. But it ended up being a heart, lung and stomach shot, and there was not a lot of lung blood or anything on the arrow.
Speaker 10: It was mainly stomach. So I backed out.
Speaker 9: Overnight, and then we got a dog, and then we found the deer. You know, really only hundred and twenty yards before I shot them, So we played it safe and it worked out for nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad that that went good for you. So, you know, going forward, that was like the first week in November. Right now we're kind of looking at somewhat the second week in November.
Speaker 3: Do you still feel like those deer.
Speaker 2: Are going to be on that seeking type of activity or would you think that guys might move in from the field edge and go kind of more to the thick stuff.
Speaker 10: I think now.
Speaker 9: It's probably the time where you want to start going to that big stuff. And a lot of the cameras I have on food sources right now, there's still some does in there, and there's some food sources that are quite a bit, you know, a lot less activity than maybe a week or so ago. And I have to imagine that now is the time to get in the classic down window vetting or really good.
Speaker 10: Pinch and log hours.
Speaker 9: And I think that's probably a really good tactic for right now to hopefully get an opportunity at a buck.
Speaker 10: You've been run it around season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sweet man, I'm excited to tell you the truth after talking to you about this stuff. If you had to give the next week a ranking from a scale of one in on buck movement, what would you give it?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 10: So I would say historically, Ich.
Speaker 9: So November third, November tenth to my favorite days. Obviously November tenth is this week. So whether it's slightly biased from past experience, I mean, I'm gonna get this thing at nine out of ten. I think it's gonna be really good week.
Speaker 11: We have.
Speaker 9: We have this front rolling in and I think those really big deer are gonna start running around.
Speaker 10: I know it's dependent on the country, but in.
Speaker 9: Illinois, if you're listening, I would I would get a little aggressive, and I would go log some hours at eight, nine, ten, eleven and really enjoy it because it'll only be those days once this year, believe it or not.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Man, I love it, dude, Thanks for the report, Thanks for the hot Let's go Jake, kill a big one in an hour.
Speaker 9: All right, fingers cross, good catching.
Speaker 3: Up on the phone.
Speaker 2: I have got Louisiana's own lay McNasty. You might have seen him in some videos like how third grade Girls Fight and other things, but the dude is also a big buck killer.
Speaker 3: Man. What's going on down there in Louisiana?
Speaker 4: Oh, nothing much, just trying to wait on the big ones down here. I just got back from Missouri. Now I got to see if I can get it done in Louisiana.
Speaker 3: A hot dog.
Speaker 2: Louisiana is one of those places that has like quite a variety of rut dates.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 6: Oh, absolutely, So how.
Speaker 3: Do you time that kind of stuff out?
Speaker 2: You can you travel, like, you know, forty miles this way and hunt a rut in early November, and travel forty miles that way and hunt in late December and have a rut?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I actually believe you can.
Speaker 4: I haven't personally done it, not that I wouldn't, but I want to say I don't want to butcher it or be wrong about it, but I think up in northern Louisiana the rut might start a little bit earlier where I'm from. It normally we can kind of rely on the rut to happen around Thanksgiving, you know, like I can't count the times I've seen a good buck movement on Thanksgiving Day, and I actually killed one on Thanksgiving last year. And I want to say, in December that might be when bucks are running around down in southern Louisiana.
Speaker 3: And they all swamp bucks down there. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, so you've been out a little bit this week. What tactics are you kind of hitting trying to catch that pre red action?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Right now, I've been currently just wanting to see what the deer moved are doing right now. Most of it's just hunting creek bottoms where we know we've we've.
Speaker 6: Got good pictures of deer traveling through.
Speaker 4: But you know, right now, it's just been a lot of dough still with their funds, you know, and younger bucks cruising around eating. But we haven't I personally haven't seen much of even the early.
Speaker 6: Signs of the rut.
Speaker 4: But that's always the case around this time in my experience.
Speaker 3: Are you hunting food plots or acre trees or you know, oak trees or whatever? You know how you will? Yeah, what are you focused on? Well?
Speaker 4: On our lease that we have, we actually have a lot of success with I don't know if you've heard of them brand bags.
Speaker 6: We use a lot of rice bread, yeah, because.
Speaker 4: Man, that that we've we've been using this per Simon rice brand and it almost seems like that's just candy to the deer there. Strangely enough, I've got another spot I hunt to where brand doesn't work as well. So I don't know these theer just seems so accustomed to it here.
Speaker 2: So you have to keep that stuff up off the ground to where it then like it went or how does that work?
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, we've never had a problem with that.
Speaker 4: If we do, where it does rain, like when you go to your stand, we'll just walk out and kind of kick out all the kind of solidified brand just to kind of let the fresh brand fall.
Speaker 6: But it's almost like.
Speaker 4: A gravity bag that to where it kind of keeps refreshing.
Speaker 3: Is Do you guys have percime trees in your area?
Speaker 6: I think we do, but not.
Speaker 4: I think I think I've kind of misheard what you were saying. I thought you were talking about just in Louisiana. I don't know if we have persimmon around where I'm hunting. We might, but I don't think i've ever seen one.
Speaker 3: Gotcha. Yeah, that was interesting because we did a test on that with flavored corn a while back, and persimmon did pretty well if I remember correctly in that video. Yeah, yeah, we have persimmons around though, So I just wondered if there was some sort of correlation between that, right. But anyway, so you said the movement hasn't been You haven't seen hardly any rut movement. Have you seen decent just bed to feed, you know, normal daylight activity or is it mostly at night?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean.
Speaker 4: We've got two I call them our shooter bucks. They're two good deer ones, like a real tall browtie nine point and a good looking ten. But most of theirs has been night, but they have kind of come out and started feeding.
Speaker 6: I realized one of them came out at like.
Speaker 4: This was before the umb change the other day, but came out around like seven am to where if somebody was in the stand they could have got them before right after hunting shooting hours.
Speaker 6: But right now, I don't know that.
Speaker 4: It seems like we're in that stage right now to where now the bucks are kind of the big mature deer are kind of disappearing now because it always seems like right before the rut, your buck want to kind of disappear and stop coming to your food sources that we put out. So I mean, right now it's just been I think the last buck I saw when I went hunting, like I think two days ago, was like a good young eight. He was a big body deer, but I'm still not even seeing you know, deer open up scrapes around, But in my opinion, I think it's a matter of time, maybe within this week, before you start seeing all those signs like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's what I kind of want to ask you about next is as this next week progresses, if you start seeing scrapes pop up and stuff, is that going to be something that you focus on?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 4: During that time, I feel like it's very common to kind of start seeing those cruiser bucks coming around and just kind of wait on them to check on stuff and you know all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So looking forward then, I know you mentioned like Thanksgiving type rut, so we're still very much pre rut, but that's ramping up every day. If you had to give it a on a scale of one to ten, how do you feel like buck movement will be back or will be like over the next week.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, I would probably give it like a seven.
Speaker 4: Other people might disagree or agree, but I mean, I would think it would be kind of like that week to where you can really expect to see some different movement.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Good time to catch a deer on his feet slipping for.
Speaker 3: The first time.
Speaker 6: Huh yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 3: Cool man. Well, hey, I really appreciate the report.
Speaker 2: It's cool to get to talk to somebody from Louisiana and keep it up day.
Speaker 3: To look forward to some big buck pictures.
Speaker 6: Awesome. I appreciate y'all getting in touch with me.
Speaker 2: As we said before, the hype is real. It is the second week in November. There is nowhere else you should be except maybe your own wedding or the birth of your child. Get in the woods right now because the deer are going crazy all across the country. Tyler Jones, my associate right here, my friend, my hunting partner, my buddy, has definitely got his tab on the white tail end. I do believe that Tyler Jones' feet. You're in an article this past week North American wat Tail potentially.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, try to pick a copy of that up. We'll put a link to that in the description.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's an online article or might be a hard copy.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you're like center your buck is centerfold in that thing. Yeah, speaking of spotlight and things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, sorry man, good, No, that's yeah, it was I was pretty surprised to find that out actually, but that that's pretty cool, man. I think I think that's pretty cool, you know. I mean, I'm gonna go get me a hard copy because I think that the picture I saw on social was a hard copy, but that would be sick. Yeah, it's pretty cool, you know. Speaking of articles, though they're on the Wired to Hunt feed or whatever you want to call it on the website, is a three day rut hunt plan from Dealing Tramp. It's an article. You know, three days is what a lot of guys get. Man take off on a Friday, hunt through Sunday, or take off on you know, Thursday evening, hunt Friday, Saturday, Sunday. That's what you got. So there's three day rut hunt plan article there. It might help you out, give you some thoughts, some creative juices, get them flowing. And then also, we released a video on the Mediator channel just now. If you're listening to this, it's probably a day old or so, you should go watch the video. Case C is featured in this video as a guy smoking a big, old, just heavy toad of an eight million point animal out in Nebraska. It's an awesome video, little drama involved doing some new tactics that you've never never encountered.
Speaker 5: What you call it.
Speaker 2: Uncomfortable, but it's just you know, people talk all the time about getting out of your comfort zone, and it's good for sure, But sometimes I don't realize what my comfort zone is. I always think that like, oh, that just means like doing something harder. Sometimes it just means doing something a lot different than what you're used to. And I definitely did that on this hunt and had to kind of, you don't want to say, fly by the seat of your pants, but definitely make adjustments to what I was used to and.
Speaker 3: I can't toss.
Speaker 12: It was difficult for me too. I mean, shooting out of them things was wild. Haybail blinds. If you never hunted out of one, it's cool, but it's also it's also very particular the way things work out of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially with some guy running a big shiny lens behind you. There's not a lot of room and a lot of hot air in there.
Speaker 3: Breaths lots of breath anyway, man, thank you guys for listening. I hope you enjoyed it. We'll be back next week with more ret fresh radio reports from all across the country. Casey, let's go kill some big old bucks. Let's do it. This has been ret fresh, Keep it fresh.