Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today? You're not interested in art?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: No, Look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a.
Speaker 1: Conversation from Chicago. This is film Spotting. I'm Adam Kempinar and I'm Josh Larson. I'm in all over this world.
Speaker 4: I mean ways I don't even know as possible.
Speaker 3: With his new period horror film Sinners, Ryan Coogler has concocted a few new ways for men to die on screen.
Speaker 1: Anyway, We've got a review of the latest from the director of Black Panther and Creed, And speaking of period films, we go back to the Middle Ages for the next film in our Tarkowsky Marathon, Andre rublev plus the Championship round of film Spotting Madness.
Speaker 3: It's all ahead.
Speaker 1: There will be blood. Josh, I'm film Spotting.
Speaker 2: I have a competition in beyond it.
Speaker 1: I want no one else to succeed.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Peloton break through the busiest time of year with the brand new Peloton Cross Training tread Plus powered by Peloton Iq. With real time guidance and endless ways to move, you can personalize your workouts and train with confidence, helping you reach your goals in less time. Let yourself run, lift, sculpt, push and go. Explore the new Peloton Cross training treadplus at one Peloton dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Film Spotting. This is it, Josh, the Film Spotting Madness Best of the Century Final. A bit later we will get to the matchup the two films that will duke it out for Film Spotting Madness supremacy, and we have a third place consolation match as well.
Speaker 3: It always comes so quickly. I got to say, all the months and months of work prep you and Sam put into it, all the agonizing listeners do about how they're going to vote, and then suddenly we're here about to Corona Chat.
Speaker 1: Voting is live right now in that Film Spotting Madness Final. You can go to film Spotting dot net slash Madness. But we'll have all the details later in the show. Also later, Josh, you'll have a review of the Legend of Ochi, which opens this weekend. Every generation gets the goonies it deserves.
Speaker 3: That's pretty apt, actually, I think.
Speaker 1: It's also week two of our Andre Tarkovsky Marathon. Nineteen sixty six's Andre ruby Lev was three hours in medieval Russia enough for you, Josh? Or were you craving more?
Speaker 3: Is it crazy to say I could have had more?
Speaker 1: Surely believe us though I think where it leaves us.
Speaker 3: I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm ready ultra blik. But it's Tarkovsky, so you just kind of want to sit in that space for a little while longer somehow. See the full Tarkovsky lineup and more at filmspotting dot net slash Marathons. But first, Ryan Kugler's Sinners. It's Koogler's first film since the twenty twenty two Black Panther sequel Wakanda Forever, and his first original is non ip what we call it Josh since his celebrated twenty eleven debut fruit Vale Station. But like every film since his debut, it does feature Michael B. Jordan, this time in a dual role as twin brothers Smoke and Stack such great Names. After years away, the brothers return to their hometown and the Jim Crow era South, only to find a supernatural evil awaiting them. Here's one me Mosaku and Omar Benson Miller in a clip.
Speaker 2: What y'all doing? Just step aside and let me hone in now, why you need him to do that? You begin strong enough to push basses?
Speaker 1: What? I wouldn't be too polite, now, would it, miss any.
Speaker 5: I don't know why I'm talking to you anyway.
Speaker 2: Don't talk to him. You're talking to me right now. Why you can't just walk your big ass up in here without an environment? They admit to it, mid to what that you dy.
Speaker 3: To my mind? Adam? We heard in that clip. One of the highlights of Sinners one me Mosaku in the supporting role of Annie, this former lover to Michael B.
Speaker 1: Jordan's smoke.
Speaker 3: Annie knows a thing or two about the spiritual world, which comes in handy when things get spooky in Sinners. I remember Mosaku from the HBO series Lovecraft Country, which had a similar vibe to Sinners and also gave her a chance to display a similar power and authority. She's great here as our other supporting players, like how about del Roy Lindo as an aging bluesman or Jack O'Connell remembering him in Startup a movie I do. We both loved Adam and I had lost track.
Speaker 1: And we were right. We were right about Jack O'Connell. Apparently it took eleven years, but we were right.
Speaker 3: He plays an Irish immigrant here who, let's say, wants to bring his own sort of music to the juke joint where much of the action takes place. And of course there is Mike b. Jordan in this dual lead role of twins Smoke and Stack. I can't wait tear your thoughts on his performance. So incredible ensemble cast anchoring some thrilling moments where writer director Ryan Coogler and his filmmaking team employees cinematography, music, sound design, choreography to create sequences that are dazzlingly cinematic. But Sinners more than those showstoppers, Adam, does it all hold together? This is a film running well over two hours. It shifts gears rather abruptly. I feel about halfway through from a period drama to a genre exercise, and it includes an extensive post credit sequence set decades later than the main narrative. So I want to know does all that ambition pay off for you? Is Sinners a collection of great cinematic moments or does it add up to something more monumental?
Speaker 1: Well? Can't we just enjoy all those great cinematic moments? Maybe that's absolutely Josh, and I think I think here it probably could be enough, because as good as Coogler's work to date has largely been, I wasn't fully prepared for how burly I'm gonna say and how fun this film is. These two movies otherwise have almost nothing in common. But the last time I felt like I could recommend a movie to anyone from cinephile to casual moviegoer and everybody in between, it was The Holdovers, and I was with family for Easter, and I had multiple people who I don't normally have conversations with about movies come up to me and asked me if I had seen it yet, because they just saw Sinners and loved it. Really, it didn't surprise me. It did not surprise me a bit, and it didn't surprise me a bit to see that it won the box office either, And there's a lot of conversation around how much money it made. Because it's a film working on every level, on the levels of story, performance, production, we can add in some specific production elements like cinematography, like Ludovic Gorenson's score, all of the music in this film. Sinners is a redemption movie, a revenge movie with elements of black exploitation and certainly a red blood soaked horror movie. It's also deeply romantic and has the rhythms and audaciousness of some of our boldest musicals. Kogler seems to be drawing from a deep well of cinematic and artistic influences, but still making a film that feels so personal, as if it's been shaped and sharpened his entire life. Everything he's done professionally and everything he's experienced personally has been shaped and sharpened into this. And I said that the great cinematic moments might be enough. But the fact is, Josh, I do think all the ambition pays off. I think there is more. I think there's revelation too, revelation that that goes beyond the transcendence of Preacher Boy Sammy, his musical number that comes maybe about halfway into this film. Otherwise, Josh, you know the scene I'm talking about, the early favorite for scene of the year, and if something somehow does beat it out, it's undoubtedly the music moment. Right, There's a choice Coogler makes and a line that he gives us in the screenplay that really gives you something to chew on in the moment and after you've left the theater. And I don't think I'm getting into spoiler territory here. It's all stuff that's hinted at or suggested in the trailer, and based on the box office, I'm assuming and hoping that most people who are listening to this conversation Josh have seen the movie. The choice is making that lead vampire played by Jack O'Connell, his character's name is Remick, making him irish, and the line is I want your music, I want your stories. The wrinkle here with these vampires is that once bitten Remick and presumably the other vampires that he's turned, they consume not just you, but your entire being, your identity, your memories, your thoughts, your feelings. So on a literal level, it's as if all that knowledge imviews him with more and more power, which enables him to go on surviving and to go on consuming. But metaphorically, and arn't vampires always a metaphor for something. This is black culture we're talking about with our main characters. This is black art, black narratives being consumed and exploited. So let's just say, when I saw the movie and then a couple hours later, saw somebody tweet about how Ryan Kogler orchestrated a deal where ownership rights revert to him after twenty five years. I thought, yeah, that checks out, That really checks out based on what I just saw unfold that character. Then Remick is the villain. He's insidious and evil, and he is white. But by making him irish, at least the implication or the suggestion Josh that I'm still unpacking is that he represents a group of people and a culture with its own unique stories and its own unique stories of suffering and exploitation, with its own music and its own language which we hear, and he was possibly once preyed upon then too, which also somehow makes him potentially sympathetic. It's a layer I found just so striking, and it's something that I haven't shaken. And it's significant that there is something attractive, Josh sinister, but attractive about joining Remick's community. That's what they are outside the Duke Joint. They're a collective, or at least that's what he intentionally makes them present themselves. As they dance in a circle, they sing in unison, they have this shared joyous experience. They've all been assimilated, and if you're someone who has spent your whole life having to fight to survive because the dominant white culture doesn't accept you, it would seem awfully enticing to want to be part of that community potentially, wouldn't it. And I haven't even mentioned that, and I won't mention for fear of spoilers that post credit sequence that you mentioned, And someone online here reminded me as well that that's something Coogler is pretty much done throughout all of his films. He likes to have a post credit sequence that is actually doing a lot of work and isn't extraneous by any means, actually seems crucial to the film. That's certainly the case here, where all I'll say is a character makes a choice that maybe is a bit surprising, but only because we think we know what that care is going to do, largely because of so many other movies or movie characters who have been put in similar predicaments. And maybe I should have been smarter based on the film I just watched for two hours of seventeen minutes, that of course Ryan Coogler wasn't going to do anything conventional and would surprise us in that moment as well.
Speaker 3: So you've already teased out a couple of the major ideas at play here, which I absolutely agree with that they're in it. I think if I'm if my enthusiasm is a little tempered, which where I might be more on the end of amazing cinematic moments, provocative ideas throughout, I don't know if it all adds up to a cohesive thing to the same degree. Is let's stick with your remic example, all right, because that line you quoted about wanting your music, wanting your stories, there's absolutely elements in this film that connect with that and support that, and that could be a theme I think the standout seat quins that you've already mentioned. So we'll talk a little bit more about it here and move and move on. But this single take sequence at the juke joint during a musical performance with all the dancers on the floor and we're swooping through them among them, and suddenly we realize, wait a minute, is that is that a DJ over there?
Speaker 1: Oh? It is anachronistic and yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 3: And then we move on and then there's you know, some rappers over here, and the sound design, which I think is like one of the MVP elements of this film. The sound design is incorporating those styles to the larger song we're hearing. So this is all touching on exactly what you just mentioned, Adam, about this idea of black art, how it has transformed over the eras but also been co opted over the eras, and here is a space where it is being held and treasured in community that completely aligns with the I want your music, I want your stories from Remick. But we also have that other element you talked about him being an Irish immigrant referring seeing his own oppression as an Irish immigrant and losing control of himself. Here's where a whole nother thematic thread comes in the prospect the specter of religion as an oppressive force as decidedly against the freedom that the music at the juke joint is enabling folks to experience. And so there I thought, okay, this is this is fascinating that he is trying to win over this group by saying, listen, I've had religion force fed to me. As well. There's a moment where a character thinks he's gonna die and he starts saying the Lord's Prayer and it get how creepy when the Horde it's almost like this bored horde they are, I'm gonna probably get in trouble with Star Trek people on that, but something like this. They all start chanting the Lord's Prayer too, but in a mocking way. And the point of that, Remick says is, listen, we've been manipulated by religion as well. I'm offering you some thing separate and freeing. But that's that's at the same time kind of different and not exactly in parallel with his being representative of white appropriation of black culture. So it's almost like this is a movie stuffed with so many intriguing ideas and they're not all working in concert. The one that I did latch onto and I think gives it its most cohesion, is this idea of music as liberation. We see that in the very opening scene again where Sammy played by Miles Catton, the young cousin of Smoke and Stack, who's an aspiring blues player. He's in this opposition with his pastor father right, and he sees music as offering the liberation of Saturday. And then he says to his father and then I'll come back on Sunday. You know, he sees this stark, secular sacred line, which is another fascinating idea the movie sort of explores. And so there's just so much going on here. I have to admit there is a part of me. You got the great word, you found the great word. I was trying to figure out how do I describe this as something other than big burly.
Speaker 1: It's the word.
Speaker 3: There's part of me that admires the burliness but also wishes. You know, man, what if this had been an eighty five minute genre piece from the get go, like the vampire thing was in the opening sequence. And it's not only that that would have cut back on the running time, but I wonder if that sort of forced discipline would have made Kogler realize, what do I really want this to be about? What can this to your point about vampire metaphors? What can this really capture well and richly, not heavily, not obviously, but in a thrilling genre exercise. And maybe that's just my own taste. That's not to take away from what's accomplished here. I think maybe if push came to shove, I would say, just give me it all, Give me it all. If it's a little messy, a little contradictory and theme, but I still get all of these characters. You know, a bigger movie allows for more characters, all of this music, and all of these sequences we've already touched on. So I'm a little torn on it. But if I'm slightly less enthusiastic then you, it's for that reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never felt that contradiction. And to go with another C word that you've used, I felt that it was ultimately cohesive, and maybe more importantly, I saw it as just adding these interesting layers of complexity. And so for me, having this film not be the eighty five minute genre exercise, as much fun as that might be, this film manages to be fun but still really give us something to think about as well. And you talked about all of those characters, the scale of this film. I think what I'm most impressed with is that we do meet so many characters, and there are so many different not only themes, but just narrative threads. It should feel so much more it didn't. To me. It should feel so much more unwieldy and messier than it is, And I never felt that messiness.
Speaker 3: Josh, I'd agree with Seth. I wouldn't say it's unwieldy.
Speaker 1: Okay, except for maybe I will say this when the blood really starts spilling. I had two reactions. One, a character makes a choice that the plot needs the character to make. And I'm not saying that Coogler didn't give us the crumbs in the forest to lead us on the trail to make us understand why that character makes that choice. But I, even with those crumbs, didn't fully believe it. It felt a little bit too much like a plot contrivance for me. And then the action itself the only bit of filmmaking I will question it all in this film, and I do want to go back and watch it again and see if maybe there was something about it that I just found distracting. But when the big battle scene occurs in this film, that's the only part where I felt Coogler losing his way a little bit in terms of the intense focus otherwise of this film, And maybe intense focus is the best way I can describe one of the things I loved about it, that burliness that comes just from Michael B. Jordan's dual performance as Smoke and Stack the prologue is really interesting. That moment right after the prologue that brings us to the moment before we go back a day to all of these events. That's certainly provocative as well. But josh I knew this movie was going to be something when he opened that third scene, if you will, on Smoke and Stack, just sitting there by the car with the angle, the kind of low angle on those two, that very natural light outside, the looks on their faces, that intense focus. Characters who seem to have not just a toughness, but a hardness to them that I think the entire movie reflects, but they also are still open to They haven't they haven't been killed inside, They're not dead inside. They're still open to some of the wonders of the world. They certainly still have feelings for each other as brothers, and they have aspirations that and ambitions that you can really respect. You get to the moment where chaos ensues, and it felt like chaos for me in a film that otherwise felt so so controlled, but controlled in the best way. Where when Coogler wants to take the roof off the place, quite literally, the roof comes off and you believe it in that moment. In those moments, in some of those fight scenes, I didn't understand where the characters were. I didn't understand what the characters were doing. I didn't understand completely how the characters were even surviving. And that's the only part for me, John that I am uneasy about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with that, And you know, it reminds me that the climactic fight scene in Black Panther is you know, a real weak spot for that filmy too, and so you know it's a similar sort of fight choreography and staging. Yeah, there's some of that here too. And then I will also say there is sort of an epilogue before the credits though that I don't want to get into too much, but it evolves an encounter with the Clan, which has been another story throw that's popped up that also seemed strange in and of itself in terms of why it's there, but.
Speaker 1: Also that'sploitation element.
Speaker 3: It's definitely gives you some of that black exploitation, you know, cathartic. Yes, that that is that element as well. But yeah, in terms of the staging too, I think it's similar to that chaotic fight sequence you're talking about. But in terms of, you know, Michael B. Jordan, this lead performance, I want to hear a little bit more from you on that because I at once loved it because he's having such a good time and it's so charismatic and who doesn't want to Michael B. Jordan's, but also was left a little wanting, if that makes sense. I really feel like this movie for me needed a more distinctive separation between Smoke and Stack, and the character outlines are there, right. Stack is looser, he's got he's freer, and I love how he's sort of this this tempter with booze and money. Right away he walks around town and he's cajoling everyone. And then Smoke is he's more tightly wound. He's the planner of the two. He's making sure, you know, the bills get paid, however bills they're working with. So I get that those character sketches, but I think in terms of just the feel of the two of them, there is a climactic fight. I think we can say that would have for it to matter more beyond just the basic logistics, I think we would had to have had a sense of the difference or at least the tension between these brothers earlier for that to really work. It actually made me think of his performance in Kugler's Fruitvale Station. You know, Oscar Grant, I think is the real world figure he's playing there, and how this was a guy he brought. The challenge there was not to make this victim of police violence, you know, a saint or a sinner, to use the language of this movie, but to show that he was fully human. And so Kugler there gave us two sides of one guy who is he can be rough, he could be intimidating, and then a scene later or in the same scene to a different character, he can be understanding and loving. And it was those variations in persona from Fruitvale. I'm surprised wasn't more here in Smoke and Stack, not that he isn't a ton of fun and they don't serve their purpose for the narrative. Part of me also was wondering early on, I didn't know exactly what happened narratively. I knew there was some sort of horror element. I was wondering, are these two more like mythical figures? Like are we going to find out there's some sort of avenging angels or something, and is that the reason for the Thinness? Because there was a Thinness I detected, and then of course we learn I think one of them, I think it might be smoke even says something about he doesn't believe in anything about the power of money, and so they're very much rooted in the here and now. They are not those sort of mythical figures. But I was wondering if it was going to go that way just because of Jordan's performance. But yeah, how did it work otherwise for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose like the film overall, I'm higher on the performances from Michael B. Jordan. I like the fact that the shades and the distinctions between them are ultimately so subtle, and they're subtle enough that Coogler clearly felt compelled to make sure we always understood which one was which, because one's going to be wearing a red hat and one's going to be wearing a blue hat. Yeah, the costume being makes it clear.
Speaker 3: Otherwise we should say doing the costumes here one of the greats.
Speaker 1: Otherwise we wouldn't really know who is who, which actually for me made them feel even more like Brothers and made Jordan's performance feel more grounded and less theatrical. And maybe that's what I'm so stunned by, is that this is a film that, on some level you could call very theatrical. It takes bold swings. This is a movie where Coogler really goes for it, and yet it's so grounded by the Michael B. Jordan performances, but also every other performance in this film. You've mentioned a fe you already, but how about Hayley Steinfeld showing up on screen and getting apart Josh, where we're all all of a sudden in a moment. Honestly, the moment she shows up on screen, and it might even be before she says a word, it's just her physicality. We know, or think we know everything we need to about who that character is in that moment, and there's Steinfeld just reminding us, Oh, in case you forgot, I'm not a pop singer. I'm not just the star of a Transformers movie or those pitch perfect sequels. I'm a really formidable actress. And I think that's what she proves herself to be here. But again, everybody's doing that. It's one of those performances where I almost feel bad about saying this, but within two scenes you're thinking, so, Delroy Lindo is gonna win Best Supporting Actor, right, Like this is a foregone conclusion, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, but can we give him his credit? If that happens and we have a long ways to go? Who knows what other performance is here? I thought that in his first scene right where it's like, oh, this is being served on a platter. But also think about the subtlety and physicality he brings to that first scene when he's offered the beer, and how he negotiates his wanting it but not wanting it, not wanting to show he wants it. So in a way, it's one of those showy best supporting performances because it has those moments of charisma. But I think he's doing incredibly deft work.
Speaker 1: Here's what he's recorded.
Speaker 3: To do in this movie, Adam. Delroy Lindo is at once required to be the comic relief and the sage, like the seer the fount of wisdom and not not like not like a holy fool type comic relief wisdom where they're combined, like these are two different gears. He has to shift into, and he shifts into each one perfectly when needed. It's absolutely the groundedness you're talking about. He makes this rooted in a man who has lived a hard life and is here now and it's going to get harder than he ever could have imagined, and he handles that with humor and with wisdom. There's there's a moment where he's he's talking. They're riding along in an open you know, a convertible down the road, and he's telling the story and something about how he's paid they were paid in liquor and his friend, his musician friend, and I forget what happens to the story, but the point is he's asked, what did you do with your money or something like that, and he just says, I drank it. And then it isn't that line. He's holding a flask and he flips the top. I think closed at that point, and it's that sort of subtle physicality where it's the exculpation point on the story. It's his shame, but it's also his desire to still move ahead, like kind of like saying, I'm put in the flask away now, like I know you know, but we all know he's it's only for this moment, and these are the little touches that a performance like this doesn't need to have for people to say it's a best supporting actor performance, But Lindo gives us them anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think you're right. Perhaps there is shame in that moment. I don't remember the exact dialogue and how it plays out either, but I do recall feeling in that moment that that is really wonderful scene because it's it's great right. We understand that it is informing us about the character and their life and the type of choices that they've had to make. But you also get with Lindo a refusal to embrace any kind of sentimentality. He is not going to go for that. He is not going to try to make you feel pity for him as a character. He says something, there's just some line in there, Josh, in the way he says it where you understand that's the choice he made, and sometimes the choices he makes maybe aren't going to be appreciated or understood by everybody, But then you aren't him. You haven't walked in his shoes, and he is just going to keep on walking and that's the element that Lindo brings that makes it not just a showy performance. There is so much life that is evident in that character, just years of weariness, so that we sense within a few minutes is that.
Speaker 3: The scene too just to go back to the so design. Where as he's telling the story, we hear voices from the story he's telling on the soundtrack and effects that would have happened in the story. If it's not that one, it's maybe another story that Lindo tells. I think it's also in the car though, and the intricacy of this sound design and the layers of music, but also things like that, like enhancing a character's story by audibly bringing elements of it into the foreground. You may not even notice it at first that it's happening, but afterwards you're like, why was that such a vivid I mean, the performance was great, the writing is great. Oh it's so vivid because I literally heard what he was describing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think we see all that often in films, and it's really effective.
Speaker 1: Here, and it makes sense temporarily with this film, a movie that is suggesting how the past and the present in the future, right, can all collide in a way for characters and in certain moments as well. But I really feel like we could go on and on. I want to at least mention if we're going through the list. Miles Cayton, who was a new face to me as Sammy, And that's another incredible moment that I was thinking could be my music moment of the year, Josh, if it wasn't for the scene that eventually follows. It's the first time we hear him perform. He's in the car and I don't remember, sorry, despite what I said about how clearly I could distinguish them, I don't remember for sure if it's Smoke or Stack. But he starts playing, and the moment he starts singing, and you see the reaction. You see Michael B. Jordan's reaction to his performing, and yeah, that sounds right is Stack And what he imparts there with that stunned reaction is twofold. I think he's first just sort of stunned that his cousin is that talented, This person he is known his entire life could sing the blues, that type of depth and that type of soul and experience and then the other part, and I think he actually verbalizes this is, oh, we're going to make a lot of.
Speaker 3: Money exactly both. That's how I knew it was stack because I remember that part of it. That's the stack quality, which you know, speaks to that there are distinctions between them that we come to understand.
Speaker 1: Sinners is currently out in wide release. If you see it and agree or disagree with our takes, you can email us feedback at film spotting dot net.
Speaker 2: Let me make.
Speaker 3: Some wadstit going on that with listening is the number one thing you can do to support an independently produced show like film Spotting. A couple more things you could do. Take a minute to give us a rating or a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Doesn't matter if you're a first time listener or have been listening for twenty years. Every new review helps us reach new listeners. Another way to support us, you could join the Film Spotting Family at film Spottingfamily dot com. Thank you to family plus member Jeremy Kennis in Severance, Colorado. I've had a chance to correspond with Jeremy over the years. If you want to follow Jeremy on letterbox, he is Jeremy Kennis k E N N I.
Speaker 1: S Jeremy Wright. So buddy turned me onto film spotting right about the time Josh took over. Been listening ever since. Favorite review or segment several, but I'll highlight the episode that Adam did his Jimmy Stewart impression when you all massacred, It's a wonderful life, Josh barely keeping it together was hilarious. I forgot about that show and that bit, and it does help that I won the prize that week from the previous edition. What review, Yeah we got wrong, easy under the Skin. I tried to watch it again after listening to you rave about it, but I just can't get on board even remotely. This, Josh is one of the I don't mean it pejoratively, but I'll say oddist letterbox top four that maybe we've seen in this segment rushmore Guns of Navarone, Jojo Rabbit and La fem Nikita.
Speaker 3: I mean that's a four pack. You're going a lot of places there.
Speaker 1: Yes, a favorite movie Jeremy revisited recently while he's heading to England later this summer. So we watched the trip Verry Smart, a random film or filmmaker that he loves Formula fifty one, also known as the fifty first State. Now, Josh, we took a little bit of grief, playful and supportive grief, but a little bit of grief from people who were like, you've never heard or you don't know smooth Talk. Come on, Joyce, Carol Oates and Criterion Collection. I can't believe you didn't know this. Well, I'm gonna say I don't know Formula fifty one or the fifty first State.
Speaker 3: Well I didn't think I did. But and here's where I'm going to lose Jeremy looking it up now at Larson on Film a rare zero star review Adam Oh no.
Speaker 1: Oh, Josh, I was not anticipating that. But here's the best part. I mean, I'll just admit that it shouldn't be a shock that I have blind spots when it comes to Hong Kong. App and this is a film directed by Hong Kong action director Ronnie You. It's from two thousand and one. But here's my favorite part. It's it's reading the brief plot synopsis in the cast stars Samuel L. Jackson as a master chemist turned drug dealer with Robert Carlyle, Emily Mortimer as an assassin and meat Loaf.
Speaker 3: I don't believe I'm scanning the review here. I don't believe I even mentioned meat Loaf. No, and you know I must be wrong. Come on, Emily Mortimer as an assassin that gives you half a star?
Speaker 1: Zero stars? Josh? How many zero stars are there? How many will I find over at Larson on film dot com.
Speaker 3: I mean there's an easy way to filter the review library, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I thought you might do it. While I read his next response to one zero, I okay.
Speaker 3: Be a very unhappy man, Adam.
Speaker 1: Apparently a movie did Jeremy credits with becoming a cinophile? Is that one of your zero stars? Sling Blade?
Speaker 3: Now, I'm sure I did not give Sleepway zero.
Speaker 1: Sas finally a book about movies or movie making? Now he's just pandering. Movies are prayers? Of course?
Speaker 3: Well it was until my formula fifty one slanders zero stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's your savior now? Jeremy, thank you for joining the family and for all those years of listening. In addition to keeping us doing what we're doing, your support comes with perks. Get to listen early in ed free. You get the weekly newsletter. You get to be part of the exclusive film Spotting Family discord. You also exclusively get to hear our monthly bonus shows coming up very soon, our April bonus. It's ask us anything. If you have a question you'd like to submit for that segment. Feedback at film spotting dot Net is the email. Our May bonus. Then will be our draft, our annual, our new annual tradition, the draft with our film Spotting Madness Bracket contest winner, maybe with a familiar face this year. More on that in a bit. Film Spottingfamily dot Com is where you can learn everything you need to know about being a family member.
Speaker 5: Your parents have offered you to this course, they say, here makes something of my boys say texts say fo yeah, curse like I'm wickedness.
Speaker 1: Leochi. That's from the trailer for the Legend of Ochi, which is new to theaters this weekend. It's directed by Isaiah Saxon. It's his first feature. He's an award winning music video director an animator. The movie is set on the fictional island of Carpathia, where elusive creatures known as the Ochi are hunted and feared by the island's human population. A young girl, Helena zengels Yuri, comes across a baby Ochi and befriends it. Some of the humans Josh. They're played by Willem Dafoe, Emily Watson and Finn Wolfhart a twenty four et. That's the vibe I'm getting from the trailer. Am I way off base? And if I'm not, is that a bad thing?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's yeah, that's certainly what they want, and maybe it will be for some younger viewers.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling watching this movie, which I wanted to love and I like quite a bit. There's a lot to admire about it, but it's it never like it never took off into the air like those bicycles in ET. Right, And you know, I'm thinking, but few movies doo, and sometimes the ones that lodge themselves in your mind when you're a kid are those that you know, fumble a little bit on takeoff, but are idiosyncratic enough, visionary enough, ambitious enough, weird enough to kind of stick in your memory as a kid and you come to love them anyway. They're like kiddy cult movies, right. Cult movies we think of as for adults. They're a little risque sometimes are pushing the envelope. But kids can have cult movies too, these weird little movies that most people forget as you grow older. But you'll run into someone and say, hey, you referenced one earlier in the show. Wasn't the Goonies great? And it's like, well, you know, if you watch it again, the Goonies is fine, Right, you watch ET again, it's a masterpiece the Goonies. Yeah, it's okay. It's a little weird, a little scruffy. I think of these are going to be eighties titles, because that's how old I am. But the never Ending Story or even something like Labyrinth, right, people love Labyrinth, love the never Ending Story. But you know these are not fantasy or sci fi films like ET. And I do think the Legend of Ochi might be something like that, because it's overstuffed with characters, way too many motivations going on. I found it to be a little undercooked as a fable, like what it actually wants to be about, wants kids to think about beyond you know, the obvious. But man, is this thing weirdly unique and a lot of that has to do with the puppetry, the choice to use puppetry and animatronics, and for the adult Ochi, real actors in costumes. There is that tactility, that real worldness that you need for a children's fantasy movie to root itself in your consciousness, and this absolutely has that. It also has a look that's unique. The colors here are deeply saturated. It's almost like everything's wet in this movie. It's like the wetness has made the colors richer in some way, which I admired. The score by David Longstreth is very flute heavy, which casts this unique hypnotic spell. And yeah, overall, you know, you do feel like you're watching real creatures being discovered, not digitized just pixels essentially, and that goes a long way. I think it will go a long way for lodging itself in younger audience's minds. So if it at all sounds interesting, you check it out. You may not love it, but you'll like it, and you'll probably years from now someone will say did you ever see a movie called The Legend of Ochi? And you'll say, n oh, yes, that was kind of that was really great wasn't it. I think it's one of those, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: The Legend of Ochi is currently out in limited release. If you see it and agree or disagree with the Josh, email us feedback at filmspotting dot net. Next week on the show, it's Movie Book Talk with Adam Josh and guess we've got our friend Mariah E. Gates returning to talk about her new book, Cinema or her way visionary female directors in their own words. We knew back when Mariah first told us about this book that when it came out, we wanted to have her on the show, and we wanted to do something that wasn't just an interview with her. Can we talk about one of the films it's featured in the book. And it just worked out so serendipitously, Josh, that one of the films she covers is a major blind spot for the two of us that we have wanted to rectify for quite some time.
Speaker 3: Embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Gina Prince Bithwood's Love and Basketball and this month, just as of about a week ago, it celebrated its twenty fifth anniversary. So we're going to talk about Love and basketball and Mariah's book with her, and then we're also going to feature my conversation with film writer by Le Luca, whose latest book is David Cronenberg Clinical Trials of book that was timed, I think fittingly to be released around the release of Kronenberg's latest The Shrouds, a movie that opens and limited release this weekend. Look forward to having both Mariah and Violet on speaking.
Speaker 3: Of Cronenberg this week on our sister podcast, The Next Picture Show, Looking at Cinema's Present via Its Pass. It is part two of their Body by Kronenberg pairing. So previously they talked about The Fly from nineteen eighty six, that one with Jeff Goldblum and Gina Davis, of course, and yeah, this week they're discussing The Shrouds. Can't wait to dig into all that. I'm waiting. I'm waiting untill I see The Shrouds and then I'm going to listen to it all together with the Shrouds in my head. But I do love that pairing from the Next Picture Show. New episodes drop every Tuesday and you can find them wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Some other bit of housekeeping here, Josh, you threw out, I think on last week's show that you were going to be going to Tokyo. That's this summer or no, actually this spring, just next month. That trip is coming up, and we've already gotten two responses. You're gonna have at least a two person meetup, maybe more if we get the word out. So tell us about the Tokyo meetup.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's happening. I thought there was a chance.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 3: We hear from listeners every once in a while from fire flung spots around the globe. But yeah, Michael Tom have already written in and said we'd love to meet up. We're kind of gonna be flexible on the date at this point because they both can be and we want to hear from others if anybody else is out there, it might be May twenty two or twenty three or twenty four, So a couple of options there in Tokyo. If you're hearing this and want to join us, feedback at film spotting dot net.
Speaker 1: We promoted this last week, but want to mention again that the Chicago Critics Film Festival is coming up, taking place at the Music Box and it starts May second, runs May second through the eighth. I highlighted one title, Josh, that I have recommended on the show, and if it ever gets a full theatrical release, will definitely be a Golden Brick nominee for me. That's Zodiac Killer Project, which the fest has showing at nine thirty pm on Wednesday, so the second to last night of the festival. That's one title that I can recommend. We will have a few other titles that will highlight next week that we are interested in seeing and that you might want to seek out as well. Everything you need to know about getting tickets for the Chicago Critics Film Festival is available at Chicago Criticsfilmfestival dot com. This is lasting, This is madness.
Speaker 2: This is absolute madness.
Speaker 1: This is madness, maddness, madness.
Speaker 2: But this is absolute madness.
Speaker 1: Why should you build such a thing? That is?
Speaker 3: I was hot off.
Speaker 1: It's taken us a couple of months. But Josh, we have our sixty four film bracket down to two final four results the Battle of Seven. There will be blood versus No Country for Old Men. Not a tight one necessarily, but also not a blowout. There will be blood, though, is going to advance to the final beat. The Koane Brothers fifty five to forty five percent.
Speaker 3: I mean, just seems unfair that these two were paired up before the Championship round. I guess makes it a little different than some of our our earlier Madness matchups. But yeah, how does it feel? I got to know, how does it feel at this point to have Is it a little bit like the day after Chrismus for you and Sam? Like all of this has gone into it, I know, and we're here and now no country for old men is gone, and that has to make you feel partly responsible.
Speaker 1: Yes, it definitely does. I voted for no Country for old men in this case, in this Madness iteration. I may not have a previous one when they faced off, but it feels like an appropriate culmination. It actually feels good, Josh, that it's all all coming down free to this. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It still feels like Christmas Day. And part of that is because our second Final four matchup pitted Mulholland Drive versus Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was our dream Logic contest and this one was super close. At various points over the past week. It was tied I don't think there was ever a point where one film had a lead. There was greater than twenty five votes, and it came out this is how it ended up, Josh, David Lynch and Mulholland Drive advance to have to face Pta Daniel Plainview and his milkshake fifty point eight six percent to Eternal Sunshine's forty nine point one four.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous. And is that I have a feeling you would know this. There's a spreadsheet somewhere keeping track of this. Is that the closest vote no in Madness history?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, It may be the closest in this Madness Yeah tournament, but we've had even tighter than that. We've had ones that have come out under five or six votes. This one was just slightly more than that. So Josh it is. There will be Blood versus Mulholland Drive for film Spotting Madness and Best of the Century so far supremacy. We do have that third place matchup. Who will take the consolation prize? Will it be Michelle Gandry an Eternal Sunshine or will it be the Coen Brothers and No Country for Old Men? You can vote in the Madness final and that third place matchup now at film spotting madness dot com or filmspotting dot net slash madness. Either place will take you there. You could also just go to the main page of filmspotting dot Net. You can't miss the graphic right there at the top of the page that will take you to the polls. They close Tuesday, April twenty ninth at five pm Central time, So next week, Josh, we will be able to announce a winner. For those of you who submitted brackets in the bracket contest, check out how you're doing. Go to film Spotting Madness, click on view bracket, go to predictions see how everything shook out for you. Once again, we had eight hundred and twenty five people who participated, and out of those eight hundred and twenty five, number one for like four weeks in a row is the UK's Ricky Kendall. Ricky Ricky picked the correct finals matchup he has there will be Blood defeating Mulholland Drive. Number two, Josh is Steve Mesa. He has the right matchup, but he has Mulholland Drive winning, So it will come down to that. Our winner will come down to who wins the final, either Ricky or Steve. It really can't be anybody else. And I should probably save this for next week. If there will be Blood does in fact win, and Ricky wins this bracket competition for the second year in a row. But this is the truth. I look this up. If there will be Blood wins. If Ricky does end up on top, not only will he have won this competition two years in a row, Josh, but he will have correctly predicted sixty two out of sixty three matchups in each tournament. He got one wrong in the sweet sixteen, Otherwise he picked every other matchup correctly.
Speaker 3: I still, how I still think Ricky needs to use his powers for something better for the good of humanity than this. Yeah, Ricky, give up madness, find a common good project and apply all your brain power towards that. Please.
Speaker 1: I am betraying nothing here. I haven't looked at where the voting stands as we're taping this. The final polls have just been live for only a few hours, and again I don't want to look at them. I don't want to give anything away, But I'm just going to say there's certainly a chance that Ricky Kendall could win again. There Will Be Blood was the number one seed after all, and if he does, I suppose, Ricky, you should already start thinking about, if you haven't already, what's your bonus content RASP topic will be. But then again, maybe you don't want to jinx it. You start thinking about things that they maybe won't happen.
Speaker 3: Who knows how Ricky's mind works, We clearly don't.
Speaker 1: He can. He can obviously manifest whatever he wants exactly. Well, Steve Mesa, you are still alive in terms of our internal competition, josh Am.
Speaker 3: I still, well, you're live like a live meaning I might not end up in last place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely the case. If we stop right now, you're definitely at the bottom. You're one hundred and seventieth overall. Your big oversight was having parasite in the final against There Will Be Blood. Sam, He's in third place, one hundred and fifty second overall. He had Eternal Sunshine in the final. Mike Marrigan film Spotting Madness Godfather a little bit better, one hundred and nineteenth overall, second and our competition, like you, he had parasite advancing to the final. That means that I am probably temporarily I am in first place and I'm twenty ninth overall. That might mean the best I've ever been. Again, I think it's going to be short lived, though, though I haven't looked, I decided to be daring. I went with Mulholland Drive over. There will be blood in the final. So, like Steve Mesa, I have a chance to win this whole thing. You got a shop and Drive wins. But if Mulhallan Drive doesn't win, despite the fact that it seems like I'm crushing the three of you right now, I will finish last. You could go from first to last, first to last, print out David Lynch doesn't pull it out. Print out your.
Speaker 3: Certificate now with twenty ninth overall, I see a spot behind you on the wall, an empty spot. You could frame it, frame it and you'll always have this moment at him.
Speaker 1: Film spotting Madness dot Com or film spotting dot Net slash Madness is where you should go for everything film Spotting Madness related.
Speaker 3: Prussia, Tiber.
Speaker 4: Skoshna, Budo, New Bodle, the Way, Sadium.
Speaker 3: Yetibira, Schedule, Tame It's nice yep.
Speaker 1: That was from Andre Tarkovski's Andre Rubelov from nineteen sixty six. It is actually the third film, the second entry, but the third film and our Tarkovsky Blind Spots marathon, we are watching five films total over four weeks, after which we can claim to be Tarkovski Complete us and counted among the world's experts on the Russian Master. Yes, I'm also I'm going to punt out that certificate as please. I think that's the case, Josh.
Speaker 3: Because these are movies you just need to watch once and you've got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, or you know twice, that's it, you got it well.
Speaker 3: Andre Rublov came in at number sixty seven on the twenty twenty two edition of the Citan Sound Top one hundred. It is one of three Tarkovski films to make that list. Stalker from nineteen seventy nine is next in our marathon also made the list, as did nineteen seventy five's Mirror, which was part of our Citan Sound Top one hundred Blind Spots Marathon a couple of years ago. The subject of Tarkovski's film Here Rubylov is a historical figure, a painter of religious icons during the fifteenth century. Tarkovski and co screenwriter Andre Konchalovsky invented much of rube Lev's story, of whom little is known. The movie is told in eight extended chapters, plus there's a prologue and then an epilogue, and it depicts the artist navigating a medieval Russia defined by violence and cruelty. Writing about Andre Rubelev last year in the Reveal as part of their series dedicated to the Citan Sound Top one hundred, Keith Phipps wrote that scene it for the first time. He was feeling a bit at sea until a scene that helped clarify what Tarkovski might be after that. The film was about quote ruby Lev's artistic development and the development of his soul. So, Adam, we're coming off, I would say a relatively straightforward start to this marathon. That's nineteen sixty one's World War two set, Ivan's childhood. You have seen Andre rube Lev before. This was a blind spot for me, So tell me a little bit about I know it was a while ago, but what you're mes memories of that first viewing, how they informed this one, and what you make of it and its episodic structure today.
Speaker 1: Well, even though I was able Josh to find some of my notes from two thousand and five, I have to admit that I remember very little about the film specifically, and I think that's because it was twenty years ago. I also think it's because I was ill equipped twenty years ago to really sink my teeth into Tarkovski and try to make sense of Andrei Rublev. But that's what we were doing. We were trying to expand our horizons. That's why we did that marathon so early. It's part of why Sam and I also started this show to give ourselves missions. Just like that, I was more engaged and I liked the film that time, but having a little bit more perspective twenty years later, not just on cinema, but on the work of Tarkovsky, having been able to watch and discuss and really appreciate some of his other films like Mirror. As you said most recently, I think what I was able to put away, Josh was that compulsion in I think all of us as humans, not just as movie watchers when it comes to art, which is to try to make sense of what we're seeing, to try to find a certain logic to try to understand motivations and see a causality.
Speaker 3: And what you.
Speaker 1: Realize very early on, or what you need to realize very early on with Andrey Rublev is that that type of temporal logic, that narrative logic, is something that Tarkovsky just really is not interested in at all. And the movie can be confounding because he'll have characters who we met briefly in the first chapter show up all of a sudden in chapter eight, and we have to remember exactly who that character is, and even sometimes within chapters there's leaps in time or you find yourself. For example, after chapter one or two where Andrea gets called to go off to paint and learn from Theophanes and he brings Foma I believe his name is with him. You assume when you get to that next chapter that they're walking amidst the trees they must be going to work with Theophanes, and then all of a sudden, Theophanes is there with them. Then he kind of appears almost like a ghost, Josh, it's not immediately clear that he was part of their traveling party. And those are the types of lapses in logic that you have to expect with Tarkovski. For me, what I was able to give myself over to was that episodic structure once I realize that you have to see them less as stepping stones to understanding anything factual or actual about Andre Rublev the painter an artist, and see them as parables. And that's how I ultimately embraced those chapter is now, I think in the end, even though we can't necessarily say that any of it is accurate, or that accuracy is what he's going for, we know very little about Andre Rublev the man, we have his work. It really is and I think Scott and Keith talk about this in their really eloquent conversation about the film that we referenced earlier in the reveal. It's as if Tarkovsky said, I'm going to take this figure and I'm going to use him to explore questions about sin, about the responsibility of the artist, about Russia itself and its history, about the brutality of man, all these big questions. He's going to use this story simply to be the provocation or the lure to explore some of those big questions, the type big questions we've seen Tarkovsky explore with his other films. So I don't know if that Parables analogy that I'm making resonates with you at all, Josh, But they are stories sometimes that don't even have anything to do directly with rube Lev himself. It seems to be more about not only asking some of these big questions or posing some of these big questions, but more about providing a backdrop, a potential backdrop to understand the types of experiences and the environment that might have shaped an artist.
Speaker 3: Like Yeah, I love the Parables analogy. I hadn't thought about it that way, but I think it's very apt, you know, and like the Parables of the New Testament, they're individual stories, fables, but they're also all of a piece for a single purpose, you know, in that case, painting this picture of a unique kingdom. And I think Andre Rubla with this film, Tarkovski is trying to ultimately paint a unified picture of what it means to make religious art. I think that, I mean, first of all, just generally speaking to me seeing this for the first time, and it's sort of the first time I went to see it. I've mentioned before at DUC Films at University of Chicago in January because they were screening it and just knowing we had this marathon. So I have had the chance to see it twice in a couple of months, but still in these recent months, it was the first time I thought I'd seen all the Tarkovsky masterpieces at him. I was like, I've you know, I've seen Nostalgia, I've seen Solaristock. It's like, let me go catch up on this well regarded. I certainly knew the movie's reputation, but knowing it was something of this biography picture historical picture, sounded different than the films I was familiar with earlier movie right his second full feature, I thought, let me catch up with this one. Okay, apparently the guy's up to what five masterpieces. In my mind, this thing is incredible. But yeah, going back to what you were saying and what Keith wrote specifically, you know this notion I think he's I think he's very close when he says this was about Rubelev's artistic development and the development of his soul, except I wouldn't have the ant I would put those two things together, because I think they're exactly the same thing in terms of what Tarkovsky is interested in exploring in this movie and thinking about it in context of the further films that he would go on to make. It's almost like he's setting the stage here for the rest of his career because he's stating these he's discovering. Let me say, it feels like he's discovering the terms by which he's going to go on to make deeply spiritual cinematic films like Solaris, Stalker, Nostalgia. But they're not religious films right in the sense that we think of them. And so Andre Rubelev is all about an artist whose job is to make religious films, and what are we told about him? Very early on, one of his fellow painters says to Theophanes, he has no faith in his art, right, This guy's going through the motions and he doesn't find that faith and that artistry until he's recognized that it must have a purpose beyond the religious realm. It must resonate outside of these cathedrals for it to have true artistry, true meaning, true religiosity, I would argue, and I do think you know. There's that early section which is comedic but sets the stage for all of this, when he and his fellow painters stop at this tavern. They're seeking shelter from the right. And before they even arrive, we've been watching this performer, this jester roll on bikeoff is the actor entertaining villagers with this crude and very lude song and dance. Right, and then Andre and his fellow monks come in and they crash the party. Everyone gets quiet. They look at the gester askance. One of his companions says, God sent priests, but the devil sent gestures. You know again, we're back to sinners, drawing this line between the sacred and secular right. But notice in that sequence, Adam, the jester connects with the crowd. The monks sit in the corner. They're useless.
Speaker 1: The clown judge and judge of course, the clown.
Speaker 3: Goes out into the world. He leaves the tavern, he takes off his shirt and soaks in the rain. He's experiencing life. And I think this is setting the central questions. The rest of the movie will explore what good is religious art, if it's lifeless, if it's disconnected from the human experience. It's when we get to these sections of cruelty and violence all at the hands of supposedly religious leaders, these princes of Russia, who demand these icons but also are merciless. What happens when religious art is co opted by the cruel and the powerful. And then here's the Tarkovsky question. Can art that isn't explicitly religious be faithful as well? This is what I think we see in his further films, And here it's almost like he's making the argument for that. So I really do think this is, you know, as powerful as his later movies, if still sort of in this formative space for him as a filmmaker.
Speaker 1: It's funny what you said about the Jester and the importance you placed on that, because I was looking at my notes and one of the last things I wrote down watching at this time was that this movie seems to be fundamentally about fools. Oh yeah, the characters, Holy fools. Yeah. That Tarkovsky is drawn to the most, that he is most sympathetic to the characters who he thinks society needs to not only have perhaps more compassion for, but needs to allow more space for. Are these fools? And that doesn't just mean because they're comedic foolish in this case, also means that they are distancing themselves or in some way separating themselves from conventional society. I think that's why we have the prologue, that we have this story that otherwise so disconnected, but isn't, and it is in terms of filmmaking Bravora Tarkovsky, where that camera is elevating up into the sky from the point of view of this fool who has decided, despite the shouts that he is getting from the people down below, despite the absolute absurdity of this decision, to try to fly. He pulls it off, doesn't he? And it does, as I said, feel disconnected because narratively it doesn't tie otherwise to our story. But it makes complete sense when you realize that the movie is filled with these types of characters, including rube Blev himself, who is constantly going against society, constantly putting himself in a position where he is daring to do something that subverts norms or subverts expectations, including taking a vow of silence as we see him later do. I think part of the complexity here of this film too, and the way Tarkowsky really gets at the human condition through rube Lev is having a character who can so clearly in one moment espouse this epiphany that he's had about his art, and it's in the chapter about the Last Judgment where he seems to have a sort of painter's block. He's doing everything he can to distract himself from the job at hand, and he expresses it it's because he doesn't feel like spreading that message of hell fire and punishment and suffering that doesn't seem to resonate with him. And then he finally realizes that he wants to tell the story of a feast instead so he can have he can have that type of epiphany, Josh, he can understand that he's a man who doesn't believe in, or doesn't want to espouse these ideas of hell fire and judgment and condemnation of his fellow man. But what does happen in that chapter with the Pagans I believe it's called the Feast? Where as soon as they catch him spying on lovers and they are going to punish him, what does he do. He invokes fire and brimstone, he tells him, But that's going to be punished. I think it is. Actually it's part of his journey. You could say that's part of his journey, and I think that that would be fair. You could also look at it as a bit of a contradiction, because he invokes it when it suits him and then later it doesn't completely feel right. But he hasn't he hasn't yet had that moment where he's realized what the counter is what he believes in instead, I suppose, so I guess that's why I'm kind of linking them. But you're right ultimately that I think that is part of that journey, that he's not this fully formed character. And not only that, of course, any artist is always developing. We're always developing as humans. But I think what I'm trying to express, Josh is that this is a character who is constantly shifting, who because of the conditions of the world that he lives in, because of the horrors that he witnesses, because of the ideas that he is constantly confronted with, He's malleable. He's trying to find what he really believes in. He's trying to commit to an ideology. And I like the fact that we see someone for a good portion of the film who is seeking, who is searching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's the fascinating part of this and he is. You know, I don't think if we've even mentioned the actor portraying Rublove here and atotally Solnitsen, and I will say on this recent second viewing, I did appreciate his performance more because of that seeking quality and that he's kind of like a Brisson, you know, figure of struggling faith. He's what Ethan Hawk is doing in First Reformed. They're very much cinematic archetypes. But it is this this striving, the seeking, this uncertainty, this lack of faith, this doubt that is torturing figures like this, and I think we very much get that in this performance, which is quite strong. Also quickly before I go back to that is we've referenced a couple of times all these horror horrors he witnesses. We should say for people listening who haven't seen Andre Rublev, one of these chapters is like basically a Kurrosawa film, right.
Speaker 1: This Siege on on seven Samurai, It's all there.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like, okay, let's just take forty five minutes to drop in a yeah, Samurai masterpiece, but set in medieval Russia. This is the level of artistry working on here with Andrea Rubelev. But yeah, I like, also continuing your thought about ruby Lev's journey here is that he has those qualms about painting the last judgment strong language. He starts by saying something about it's not the smoke that matters, you know, to his companion who's trying to figure out, why are you bothered by this? He says, then it disgusts me, like this concept of damnation and hell fire discuss me. And then later we notice there's another holy fool woman played by Irma Rausch, who wanders into this cathedral that they're painting as a character is reading a New Testament passage about how women should cover their heads in worship. And this is obviously an ironic contrast. Here comes this woman into their manly space as they're reading this aloud. But it's also where ruby Lev says something like she is not a sinner even if she does not wear a scarf. And so we're seeing his spiritual development here where he's transitioning away from the hell fire and damnation to a gospel of grace that he's beginning to embrace. And now the tension, the artistic tension, is like, but is this what the people paying me to paint want and how do I wrestle with that? And how do I be true to my art and my beliefs. So yeah, it is this this journey of discovery on his part, which who knows how historical it is, but in terms of rooting it in this narrative and how it works on a meta level to my mind, with Tarkowsky's development as an artist, I think is fascinating.
Speaker 1: There's a lot that's fascinating about this film and a lot that maybe I think we used this word last week when we were talking about the first two films in this marathon. A lot that's meant to be mysterious and not perhaps understood, and yet you're drawn to try to make sense of it. And that even includes josh lines of dialogue like the one in this film where Ki, the character who's a painter who is kind of an adversary, seems to be a friend but becomes kind of an adversary, feels a lot of jealousy towards Andrea because of his talent, he wants to be seen as a superior painter. He has greater ambition, but lacks that fundamental ability that his colleague seems to have when he is just about to have his great unraveling and he's in his room at the monastery, and I don't remember who is in the room and who says it to him, but the person says, why are you burning a candle in the daylight. I'm still thinking about why are you burning a candle in the daylight? Why that's even something that that character posed to him, and how we might interpret it. But what it says about Kirol as a man, as a monk, as a painter, that he could be I don't know, suppose wasteful in that way, that he could feel as if, even though it's daytime and he should be able to see everything he needs to say, he nevertheless feels the need to take in this bit of luxury, this bit of medieval luxury, if you will, or adorn his room in some way with that light. In a character it seems kind of calls him out on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kirol is fascinating played by Ivan Lapikov, because I think he's also, if I'm remembering correctly, one of these figures you were referring to, who disappears for long passages, Yeah, and then comes back in a way we don't immediately know right it's him, and then he has to confess. He has two confessions, first who he actually is, and then later in the bell section, he confesses when Andrea is mistaken by the jester from the early section for the monk who denounced him and led to his punishment. And it was actually so yeah, can we talk about the bell section?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean masterpiece on its own right like this? To me, this movie just has that, and you've got something that will stand the test of time. Now, obviously it builds on what came before, because I find it to be completely culminating, this exploration of what doesn't mean to be an artist, let alone a religious artist.
Speaker 1: But really, what does it mean to be an artist like this?
Speaker 3: This is what the movie, or this section, the bell section, offers a possibility, I will say, because I think with Tarkovsky everything is a possibility, not necessarily an answer. But this is where we find the boy from Ivan's childhood. I have his childhood, right, Nikolai Berlyyev, who gave such a brilliant performance there as a kid a couple of years younger, and is here's this orphan teenager who convinces the prince that he has learned to cast church bells from his late father, is given the job, which means overseeing this massive team of adults, and we learn later though suspect right away he has no idea what he's doing. His father didn't teach him anything, but he proceeds anyway, and everyone follows him. What did you make of this past?
Speaker 1: Well, that's partly why, or a major part of why I am talking about this film in terms of its emphasis on holy fools or certain fool kids a school too. I think I think the kid is I think that's what really clinched it for me, is that he's another character Josh who you said. It turns out he doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't know what he's doing, and I don't know if you can really say that he's going just off of faith. There's something what's motivating. Maybe it's a great question, either deeper or more superficial, that's driving him. Maybe he just appreciates the power. But for whatever reason he takes in my mind, he takes the same leap off the church that the guy at the beginning does. Right when he flies with the balloon, he is putting himself in danger. There is no reason on this earth, in this world that he should pull this off. He's completely flying without an it and the punishment for failure here is severe. As we like to say here on film spotting, the stakes could not be higher. That is constantly reinforced throughout this entire section. What exactly could go wrong and the type of punishment that will befall him if he doesn't pull this off. And yet, Josh, he is a fool. He doesn't know exactly what he's doing. He is just hoping that through the force of his own will, that he is going to pull it off. That's the test. That's another example for me why it feels a bit like a parable. It isn't supposed to necessarily make sense that we believe that this character could do it. We believe it though in the context of this story. So yeah, that's that's where that that really came from for me, That idea was that character.
Speaker 3: And just to talk a little bit about the filmmaking before circling back to the to the meaning, but the patience and the attention to the steps of this craft, from finding the right clay which he stumbles upon in the rain and incredible. I so much rain in this movie. I mean water is Skarkowsky right, but he's he's baptized when he finds the right clay that shot, and from having to mold the bell in the earth to raising it up to yeah, the molding of it with how about the streams of like burning, I don't know what material is lead or silver, but it's glowing. This is a black and white film, but it's glowing behind this kid conjuring this fool slash wizard conjuring these streams of light to I mean, the filmmaking here is just incredible. But yeah, to connect it with some of these other things we've been talking about. So Andre Rublev at this point is still in his vow of silence, living near this city, the Prince's city, where the bell is being cast, and observing it from afar, and so he's watching this kid, and I would say, similar to the way you've been describing it, that rube Lev experiences the creation of this bell as a miraculous revelation. I mean, he's been on this journey of seeking inspiration. He's found it here a little bit. But then the sack of the city and the violence that he experienced and witnessed caused him to give everything up take on the vow of silence. He's left his work behind. But here I think what he discovers and the holy fool part is an element of this that art emerges from talent, but also from beyond himself. Right, he's a vessel. Ruby Lev discovers that he's a vessel, just like this kid is a vessel for the miracle, and I love I almost want to give it away because you are right, You're in such suspense. Is that bell going to toll? Are we going to hear anything? I'm almost positive I meant to rewatch it today, but I think when we hear the bell, the camera is on Rublev's face, and he is He has been a very side figure in this whole passage.
Speaker 1: We see him watching.
Speaker 3: He's an observer in the background. But the moment the movie has been building too in my mind, we're back on his face and it just it kind of seems like that is the clarity where he realizes it's about more than me. I may have been gifted talent, but I need to release a little bit of this control because I am, as an artist, a vessel, and I do think it connects out with another brilliant visual motif throughout this film, and it's something our Tarkowsky returns to in different ways. Water again is here, but we see many times a paint brush with white paint being held in a stream.
Speaker 1: I was I was going to go there, Josh, my favorite image in the film. Maybe it's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: And what happens is the paint just kind of diffuses but travels as the water travels. Yeah, and it's this abstract beauty. Here's the key that the person putting the brush in the water never intended. It's a new a new creation beyond that. That's that's in the process of unfolding before your eyes and what and who knows what it means. They were a part of it. They needed to be there for it to happen, right, it's not accidental. But they were also something of a vessel. And so I think that's the you know, that's the what rube Lev to my mind, discovers by the end of this movie, and pointedly in the historical context he goes on to make after this period in his life, according to what history we know, his greatest piece the Trinity, his greatest icon, the one that's the most revered. So it's just interesting to see how historically this could be understood as an epiphany moment for him. But I think it might be the same for Tarkovsky.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's like him understanding you've referenced this idea of mystery, like these movies I'm making, I'm maybe a vessel for them, like I don't, and this is why they're so confounding and we're intimidated by them and why we'll never find the answer to them, because I don't know if Tarkovsky knows the answer to.
Speaker 1: All of them. Sure, it's as if he has to. With this film, he's reminding himself or he's proving to himself the lesson the rube Lev learns. I think as you're articulating that, yeah, yeah, there, there are all these reasons to feel like this is probably pointless, or that this beauty or this attempted beauty is not appreciated by society. Is it something society even needs? I think it goes back to the steamroll or in the Violin too, in that way that's opposing that question and ultimately coming to a realization that you kind of have no choice. It's the only thing ultimately you can do, or certainly you can do if you're someone like Rublev or you're someone like Tarkovsky, who is a unique visionary artist, and that is definitely on display here. I'm so glad that you mentioned the brushes, because that moment where I think it's Foma who I didn't know totally what to make of it, And now it's starting to as we talk it out, it's starting to be clear to me. I just liked it as an image, and I liked it as a singular Tarkovsky image because we've already talked through this marathon and with mir we've talked about water and how he uses it in so many different ways. But the idea, it's almost like, by putting that brush in the water, it creates something new, as I said, something that's forming. It's in the process of forming itself before your eye. Something is disturbed, something is disturbed. The water that's flowing is disturbed by the introduction of a new liquid by someone's hand, a new thing, and then and that creates something new, and it actually creates an effect. Josh, It's like the only thing I could write down. I don't even know if I'm using this word correctly, but it's like tributaries. It's like within the water, new strips are formed, right, new streams are formed, which makes sense with some of the imagery we've seen from Tarkovski already. But there's another moment of that in this film, Josh, and my notes aren't entirely clear. I have post attack, so it must be after the raid, something like some kind of milk or liquid gets spilled into the water and the exact same tributary, like yeah, thing forms with that introduction of that liquid in the water, and then I love it's almost a match cut Tarkovsky gives us from that that spilling of that liquid in the water to then paint being thrown at the yes wall. There is yes, right, So that's that's a great kind of visual play on a motif that the Tarkovsky obviously is enamored with. We also get here and I didn't know coming into this marathon. I didn't know this was a thing. I didn't know a thing for Tarkovsky. I didn't know that until I saw that incredible scene amongst the birch trees in Ivan's childhood that this would be a recurring motif, even with the films I've seen, not considering them back to back, like this, what happens Josh In one of the early sequences in this film, they are walking amongst those same types of birch trees, those white trees. They even comment on them. I think you never notice until you leave. And and there's even a moment, Josh, with those trees where the characters in the scene are walking across the trees kind of like they're on a tightrope, which is exactly how they're walking across them in Ivan's childhood. So that was something that stood out to me. The symbolism of those trees, the power of those trees for Tarkovski obviously very intentional, but again the use of water here, and the use of water and layered varying ways by introducing new bits of liquid into the mix, was a real standout for me as well. I feel like, Josh, this is the movie in a lot of ways, that's the answer to the biopic conundrum. And the secret is not only just have someone as visionary as Tarkovsky creating the image of help, but just don't be encumbered in any way by fast events signposts. Yea, the things they actually did. Like he's a painter, we don't ever see him paint. We don't see any of the painting. We'll give you some art at the end, otherwise, otherwise we're going to give you a story that seems very loosely based on who this man ultimately is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did you make of that? Speaking of the end where this has all been in black and white, and then we get this long section of close ups of some of the icons painted by rublev as this, you know, choral music from the period is playing on the soundtrack, and it gives you a chance obviously, you know, there's an obvious reason and what it means. It gives you a chance to see the art, the actual art to your point, out of context of him sitting at up, you know, sitting down to actually do it.
Speaker 1: So I appreciated that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's you see this in other Tarkovski movies, like I think it's The Hunters in the Snow, the Brugal the Elder painting shows up in Solaris, and we spend a lot of time of the camera just pouring over it in detail. So it's a thing he likes to do. Did you find that additive?
Speaker 1: Did you you know? Yeah, Yeah, that's another one of those very airing formal choices that completely pays off. And I think the reason it pays off is is that it's the culmination of everything we've tried to speak to during this conversation, which is what this movie is really about. Is what ironically all biopics about artists try to be about, which is what are the experiences and the perspectives that shape the artists in the work that they do. But by disconnecting them the way that Tarkovsky has making it so, the film itself isn't about the art at all or showcase in the art, and it's only at the end that we get it. It really does make us feel as if he was finally only capable of doing that work because of all of these experiences. Yeah. I love that separation of it. I think it's very potent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's good. That's the time when we need the historical record is at that moment, rather than intersperse to sort of justify or you know, try to historically root your narrative earlier, it would have been distracting, but here it is a very nice exclamation point.
Speaker 1: You mentioned shades of Kurosawa here, or at least filmmaking on that scale. I can't remember if it's Scott or Keith who mentioned it, but were you like them and like me thinking about during the bell sequence Werner Hertzog and thinking about Fitzcaraldo. Not only another fool character right in Fitzcaraldo pulling off the unthinkable, pulling off a miracle, but I was thinking about the character, I was also thinking about the filmmaker. I was watching that and real quick this now made me think, Josh as well when you brought up I also loved that imagery of the lead. Whatever that molten substance is. But Josh, that's another tributary like visual yes, isn't it. It's as if these rivers of that liquid are cascading down. But I was thinking about the work the entire time. I was just thinking about the physical work it must have taken, the people working on this film, the oh gosh, the austion designers, anyone involved with making this film, and Tarkovski himself to sew specifically and in such a detailed way render the creation of that bell and the hoisting of that bell the pulling of the levers, the pulleys there on the rope. It made me think about the totally going over the mountain if it's Karaldo, and I can't believe he did it. I can't believe he pulled it off.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we've communicated the scale of this film. I mean, you know, we've talked about the Kursawa thing, but but so many of these sequences have you know, they're establishing shots where important things are happening in the foreground with characters we know, but if you look way in the background, there's like fifty or sixty people doing something period appropriate, and frequently there are animal like just walking across the screen. I think it's another key thing with Tarkowsky where he is. He's not Kubrick in the sense that I mean for a lot of reasons, but he has control, but not the Kubrickian level of control of the frame like he he seems to be open to chaos in a way with the incorporation of animals, like I said, frequently, but also you know, many extras doing their own thing nature the way nature intrudes or or is like you know, recreated to seem to intrude, but yeah, that also seems to be a unique quality of his. But just the scale of this movie Andre Rublov alone is incredible to behold.
Speaker 1: Maybe as we get through a few more films, we'll be able to make better sense of how he is using animals in the symbolic nature, because the final frame of this film is horses, not men. And dogs recur a lot in film, including in key moments like when Kirol finally renounces this world, the monastic world, and decides to go out and enjoin civilization again, his dog, who he otherwise seems to quite love and dote on. In this moment, the dog runs towards him. What does he do? He beats the dog. The fact that the fact that Tarkowsky felt the need to show that type of brutality from Kirol in that moment by beating a dog, and then dogs are a constant presence swirling throughout that entire raid Josh as well. So just when I think thought i'd mentioned it's something to keep an eye on, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean just when I think that I have a decent handle, not a full handle, but a decent handle. In Andre Rublov, it ends with those final twenty seconds of a color footage of three or four horses along a stream. It's sunny but also raining on them. And what's that all about?
Speaker 1: Man? I mean great? Like come on like I was.
Speaker 3: I thought I was doing good here and now sure now I'm lost in mystery once again.
Speaker 1: If you would like to elucidate that mystery for us, we'd love to hear from you. You can share any other comments about the show as well feedback at filmspotting dot net. Andre rublev is streaming on the Criterion Channel and Max. It's also available at vod Next up. We are taking a week off, but we will come back and reckon with one of my blind spots nineteen seventy nine Stocker. More information, filmspotting dot Net, Slash marathons, Josh, That's our show.
Speaker 3: If you want to find Adam and the show on Instagram, Facebook, or letterboxed, he's at film Spotting. I'm at all those places as well. You can find me at Larsen on film. We are independently produced and listeners supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at filmspottingfamily dot com. You can listen early and ad free. You'll also get a weekly newsletter, monthly bonus shows, and access to the entire show archive for show t shirts or yep, we still have some Film Spotting Fest posters available. Go to film spotting dot net slash shop.
Speaker 1: In the Film Spotting Archive, you can find conversations about other Ryan Cougler films, including fruit Vale Station that was episode four fifty six, Black Panther six sixty eight, Wakanda Forever eight ninety eight. It looks like we did not give Creed a proper review on the show. We did review Creed two, directed by Stephen Cable Junior. That was episode seven oh seven. Streaming this weekend. You can see Havoc. This stars Tom Hardy. This is how Sam has described it. Tom Hardy as jaded cop in Netflix movie. He didn't even get a name, well, not with Sam anyway. Directed by Gareth Evans who made The Raid out wide. You could see Ben Affleck and John Berthel in The Accountant two. Is the Accountant review in the film's finding archive. Josh, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I know, I didn't see it, and why do I think The Accountant two came out like five months ago?
Speaker 1: This is new. We have been seeing trailers Forever. Okay, you're not wrong there. The Legend of Ochi is also out. Josh gave that a few minutes and does recommend that film in limited release. The documentary about the comedy duo Cheech and Chong. It's Cheech and Chong's last movie. Magic Farm, a movie that features a film crew working for an edgy magazine traveling to South America to fabricate a trend. Okay, Chloe seven Ye, Alex Wolf, and Simon Rex co star on Swift Horses is out. Robert Daniels says it's a slow burning, nineteen fifty set noir western driven by carnal appetites and a longing to break free from societal expectations. It stars Jacob Elordi and Daisy Edgar Jones. David Cronenberg's The Shroud is also out in select cities, with Vincent Cassell as a man who invents a technology that allows him to Yeah, I suppose that's accurate. Mono the Dead with Diane Krueger. I also did want to give a quick mention Josh to a movie called Jimmy and Saigon, a documentary directed by Peter McDowell that I think actually counts as a twenty twenty two film, played a lot of different festivals, but is just now getting a release at the Cinema Village in New York City this weekend. And it's a documentary about the filmmaker Peter McDowell, who grew up he was the baby of the family. I think there were five kids total, and had the oldest sibling, Jimmy, who he barely knew because of the age difference, and also because Jimmy went off to Vietnam and didn't come back, and the circumstances surrounding his death were mysterious, and part of the mystery was that his family just never talked about it. His parents, his other siblings, they seem to always want to kind of keep this a secret. And so what McDowell does is he tries to unravel the mystery of what did happen to his brother back in Saigon, has experiences post war there, and I do think if you have a chance to see Jimmy and Saigon, it's a film worth checking out. Next week, Film Spotting goes to the library the Shrouds with author Violet Lucas. She just wrote a book about David Cronenberg called clinical Trials and blind Spotting. We'll be looking at Gina Prince Bythwood's Love and Basketball at twenty five with Mariah Gates. She's the author of Cinema Her Way, visionary female directors in their own words.
Speaker 3: Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe Desso and Sam Van Halgren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempanar special thanks to everyone at wbeazy Chicago. More information is available at wbeazy dot org. For film Spotting, I'm Josh.
Speaker 1: Larson and I'm Adam Kempinar. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 1: The burn film Spotting is listeners supported. Join the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film Spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film Spotting Family dot com.
Speaker 2: Panically