Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome back to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spoffer, joined us always by my trusted colleague Wes Hodkowitz. We are back from our summer break training camp West. The first practice is right around the corner. It is tomorrow. We are going to preview training camp here on this show. But as some famous song likes to introduce things, my question for you is, are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Gotta be ready for this.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. I always like to tell the little bit of a dad joke about how this is the fastest six months of the year.
Speaker 2: But here we are.
Speaker 3: And for the green day Packers, I think all these years that I've covered the team and you have a couple more on me. I don't know if there's ever been a time where I feel like there's more need for football.
Speaker 2: Than right now.
Speaker 3: I just feel like we've talked so much and there have been so many narratives and honestly a lot of swerves throughout the off season, a lot of questions from pretty much every interval through this process, beginning with the extensions back at the beginning of the year, and then kind of.
Speaker 2: Trickling into who came, who left, and now.
Speaker 3: Certainly all these player extensions that Green Bay has done, there's been a lot of movement and a lot of developments, and now we finally get to see on the field what the twenty twenty six Green Bay Packers have capable of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, for all of the good news that has transpired this offseason, the contract extensions and one that was the most the latest one just to announce yesterday defensive tackle DeVante Why getting extension. We talked earlier in the offseason Jaden Reed and Christian Watson and all the talk about guys coming back from injury and all of that. There's a lot of excitement and everything building up to this. But at the same time, and I think this goes to your point of you know, it's time for football, because the Pack ended last season on such a downer, the five straight losses, the blowing the lead in the playoff game in Chicago and all of that, and you're never really going to get past that until you get to the new season, until you start playing games again, and it's it's a clean slate, it's a fresh start, and that fresh start begins with training camp in that and that first practice tomorrow. So I'll throw this out to you, and you and I can just kind of go back and forth on maybe what's top of mind for us, but there'll be a lot of storylines that we'll be following throughout the course of training camp. Here, what is at the top of the list for you?
Speaker 3: Well, I think when you begin training camp two things are always and I hopefully don't steal both of these from you, but the two things that always jump out to you the first time we step out at rain Ichkie Field, we look out on the grass, we have our pen in our paper and all that it's okay, who's practicing and who's playing where.
Speaker 2: With the first and second team offense and defense.
Speaker 3: Right, you go through the years, Michael, you know, whether it was twenty twelve where Jared Bush getting the first shot at the perimeter cornerback job, as Charles Woodson began that transition to a playing safety in the base, and you go through all the Okay, in twenty fifteen, who's going to be lining up? Is this gonna be, you know, an offense that's predicated on you know, Aaron Rodgers and passing the football or running the football.
Speaker 2: Is this is this Eddie.
Speaker 3: Lacy's offense that like, there's always been these question marks that go into these seasons, and for me, it's it's just seeing what we've watched from the outside the entire way while Matt Lafleur and the coaching staff have built their game plans, have devised their schemes, and now we get to see, Okay, what was their thought process? Who are they going to be building this thing around. And to me, that's always one of the most exciting things, in addition to the fact that, hey, where's Tucker Kraft at DeVante White just signed the extension?
Speaker 2: Is he good to go?
Speaker 3: You know, Zach tom coming off of the knee injury last season, is he ready to go? All those things that were kind of hanging on from the offseason program. Seeing who's able to go right from the get go, and also who maybe are those guys that sit out the first week and then you get to you know, family night and they're back in the fold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Big Four, as far as the injuries are concerned, I think are the names that everybody is going to be following as far as when they get back on the field. Now we are not expecting the biggest of those names, Micah Parsons to be on the field during training camp, But you mentioned three of the other ones, Tucker Craft, Zach Tom, DeVante Wyatt. Those guys were all missing when last season ended on a sour note. And there's a process for all of them obviously to get healthy, to get ramped up and ready to go. But you just know, you sense with this fan base and with all of the chatter that's around the team this year, that a lot of eyes are going to be on those players and when they're back, when they're ready to go, and the hope is that as many of them as possible can be good to go for Week one in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the one thing I was reminded of throughout this offseason, if there was ever any question at all that Tucker Craft might be already in a pantheon of.
Speaker 2: His own among Packer fans.
Speaker 3: That was reiterated because not only is this guy a good, talented, young, ascending tight end, but he's taken on cultiro status.
Speaker 2: With this team.
Speaker 3: Again, how many times, Mike do you and I open insider inbox right now? And among those questions is where are the Packers at in an extension with Tucker Craft. Why isn't that deal done yet? And I will just continue to assure fans that if unfortunately that knee injury didn't occur, I assume this would have been the off season of Tucker Craft in that regard, and instead it's been an offseason or rehab for him.
Speaker 2: But the way.
Speaker 3: This guy has attacked this thing, the videos that he's put out, the way he's talking, I mean, he is completely invested not only in becoming the best tight end in this league, but doing it with the Green Bay Packers. So I've urged a little bit of patience. I think both of these teams, you know, with both the Packers and Craft and his team, I think they're going to do right by each other. But you just got to breathe for a second here. But one, once number eighty five is cleared, when he is back out on the practice field, the shot of juice that that's going to give this team and this fan base. Just like with Micah Parsons on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think there is a tangible value you can put on that.
Speaker 2: It is immeasurable.
Speaker 1: There's almost this expectation for me that there's going to be some kind of a harness put on Tucker Craft because it's like the medical staff, the coaching staff is going to have to hold him, like physically hold him back from, you know, from going just full bore, all out, like right from day one, because that's just his mentality. Yeah, exactly, He's he has been. He has been full speed ahead throughout h throughout this entire process. And the anticipation of seeing him back on the field throwing a block on the edge, catching a pass down the scene from Jordan Love, I mean though, the anticipation of those things is kind of palpable.
Speaker 2: I will not name names.
Speaker 3: That is not the game I play here, but I will tell you between Watson last offseason and Draft this offseason, the way those two guys attacked the rehab, I have seen guys practicing with less effort at times than those two did in their actual physical rehab to get back a very true They just wanted to be back with this football team and show what their cape Love.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you this one. If Tucker Craft comes back.
Speaker 3: At half of what he was doing last season, you're already looking at one of the top young tight ends in the league. But if he comes back the way that Christian Watson did last year, yeah, I mean look out.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: Well, there are going to be some positional battles, roster battles, all that kind of stuff going on over the next month. There'll be family Night, there'll be three preseason games, lots of stuff to sort out. And as much as they are going to be many in the media sphere who are going to try to pick the fifty three man roster before the pads even go on, we're here to talk about some of those competitions and what we will have our eye on. For me, the one that's at the top of the list is at cornerback and Jonathan Gannon's new defense because the Packers have Keyshawn Nixon as their number one corner But you have this collection now, Carrington Valentine, free agent, Benson Benjamin excuse me, Saint just and then the second round draft pick, the first pick the Packers had in this past draft, Brandon Sisa from South Carolina. Those three guys, only one of them can be the number two cornerback. I like where things are from a depth perspective, regardless of who wins the job and who's gonna come off the bench and be the sub package guys, et cetera. But that competition for a starting cornerback job is it feels to me out of the gate here, partially since Cisa is a rookie and was just getting his feet wet in the spring, and Saint just missed a large portion of OTA's and mini camp and whatnot because of an injury. It feels like this is a competition that is going to take the entire training camp to sort.
Speaker 3: Of yeah, and just extremely high stakes, right, And they're all play the position differently, they are all built differently, their strengths are different, and the Packers have cast such a wide net here to try to find that guy that's going to start opposite Nixon.
Speaker 2: And also the fact of building depth at that position that by the end of last year they really lacked.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you a little bit of a cheat sheet that I've devised now, in probably fifteen years, if I'm still employed, I'm guessing you'll be on a beach somewhere. I'll be telling the other young writer at Packers dot com. This is the way I always approach things. When you ask what's the biggest competition in training camp. It'll always come back to me, which position did they add the most bodies in? Which position did they draft multiple players this offseason? It was the cornerback position. Brian good Against telegraphed it. Yeah, he told everybody he was going to do it, even after signing Benjamin Saint just and he invested those resources.
Speaker 1: And even with the limited draft picks, he used multiple at that position, which is also a big side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was super impressed by what I saw from Cisa during the off season program, the way he triggers, in the speed with which he plays. I don't know if it's tomorrow, I don't know if it's next month, but this guy is going to make an impact for this football team.
Speaker 2: You can see it.
Speaker 3: It's in the DNA, in the way he attacks it, and the fact that he's as young as he is playing in that position.
Speaker 2: I mean, his upside when.
Speaker 3: You're looking at what I referred to is like the de facto number one pick for the Packers because there was no first rounder, but to make that investment in the second round. We saw it with Casey Hayward right out of the gate in twenty twelve. We've seen it time and time again. Where these guys can come in and men impact. I think Brandon Ceesay on the field, you're gonna see him doing something sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. I think he's going to have an impact here. How the competition itself sorts out? You know, Benjamin Saint just a three year starter in Washington but probably had the best year of his career in more of a part time role with the Chargers last year, which really attracted the Packers. Then to add him to the mix and to see what he can bring. And then you have Carrington Valentine, who, in my opinion, has shown a lot of what needs to be shown, but then it always feels like because of an injury or something that slows him down or sets him back, he hasn't quite you know, fully hit his stride yet, Like it's there, we see it at times, but then something always kind of gets in the way. And is this the year that nothing gets in the way for Carrington Valentine and he really takes off. I mean that's certainly a possibility. But the competition is going to be there and whoever it is that's lining up with the number one defense come Week one opposite Keishawn Nixon is going to have to earn it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the stakes I was talking about a high they are.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's any player on the roster that there's higher stakes for than Carrington Valentine. I mean, this guy has started all these postseason games but never really been a starter Week one for the Packers and their defense. I think last year had a golden opportunity but didn't come away with any interceptions. There were some bits, you know, fits and starts and inconsistency there.
Speaker 2: But the guy has it.
Speaker 3: He's had it since he walked into the building as a seventh round pick. I mean there's a swagger there, there's a confidence there that you cannot coach.
Speaker 2: Can he put it all together? Can he show the.
Speaker 3: Packers that despite these resources that you've invested in this position, despite signing Saint Juice, I can still be the guy for this defense. And what I like more than anything at completely is the fact that there are no questions now about depth on the perimeter. That was a real thing last year at the end of last season, especially after Kamal hadn't went down right. Okay, if somebody goes down outside who's going in. Fortunately, Keyshawn Nixon has been a rock and for the large part, Carrington Valentin has been able to stay out there. But you need to have bodies to navigate a season. I like the versatility they have in that secondary right now and the fact that if somebody does go down, they have somebody with credentials that can step in well.
Speaker 1: I think the other competition on defense that we will be watching directly tied to Micah Parson's absence at this point, and that is at the edge rusher spot. We're expecting Lucas Fans to take on a major major role here. Hopefully he's got his injury issues behind him, that foot injury that he got off to a really solid start last year first five six games of the season. Then the foot injury crops up when he gets the sack of Joe Flacco, and then that ended up being a much more difficult and troublesome injury that anybody thought it would be initially. And then he doesn't really get back until the very end of the season. But then he gets a sack in the playoff game of Caleb Williams in Chicago, right so it's all there for Lucasfanas and the opportunity is there. But what's going to be happening on the other side. There's Baron Surrell and Colin Oliver, two draft picks in the middle rounds from last year. You have a fourth round pick from this year denied Dennis Sutton. You have a veteran guy who dealt with injuries last year. Kind of twenty twenty five ended up being a wash for Brenton Cox Junior. But this is a guy that at the end of twenty twenty four, Yeah, after Preston Smith was traded, Brenton Cox really showed that he belonged in the NFL and that he can be an impact player here in Green Bay. So you have all these guys in the mix. There are only so many snaps to go around. But you talk about you talk about a competition and a battle for who's going to be out there and who's going to earn something. Until Michaeh Parsons gets back, that edge rusher spot is one to watch.
Speaker 2: It's all the play for right now.
Speaker 3: I mean Aaron Moseby factors into that too, although he's been more of a special team's Nige Leik Kelly out of UCF. That was their highest guarantee for an undrafted rookie that they made. Dude has credentials too, played at Miami before transferring to UCF. There are so many guys that could factor in this competition. What I like about it is, Yeah, in the interim, they have to figure out how they're going to replace Michael Parsons. But Mike, what's really the biggest question when you get to week whatever it is. Let's say it's mid season, Let's say it's the second half of season. Whenever, it could be Week five against the Bears, when Parsons is back on the field, who fills out that rotation. That's what the Packers have to decide right now, because everybody's gonna get a shot at this thing.
Speaker 2: There might be a starter.
Speaker 3: Baron Surrell might be the starter in week one, but Colin Oliver, if healthy, will get snaps. Brenton Cox junior will get snaps. I really like Deny Dennis Sutton. That was one that you and I talked about in the post, you know, kind of wake of the draft. The way that this guy is built, the production that he's had with different players across from him. Whether he did have a first round pick or the guy produced. He has a tremendous build for the position. He's lengthy, he's got the size. So there's been these people. No disrespect to them. I appreciate every single one of their fans that checks out Insider inbox and helps pay like and ized mortgage. But the fact is is that there's so many people that are like, well, what about you know, Jdeveon Clowney, what about you know some of these other guys Bosa these free agents, And it's like, folks, you do not sign a veteran like that on the precipice of a season if you don't believe in the pieces you already have in house. Injuries can happen, position depth can wear. That's where you'll see those guys eventually sign, and that's when they'll eventually land somewhere. But for now, I am so excited to see the runway be cleared for all these young guys. There is no people really holding on to like eighty percent of the snaps. There's no Zadaria Smith or Preston Smith, Rashan Gary that you know are going to play seventy five percent of Snaps. It's all out there, and I think it's going to bring out the best in that group. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, we do need to take care of some sponsor business, and when we signed on I neglected to say we were coming to you from our Potawatomy sportsbook studio.
Speaker 2: There are other.
Speaker 1: Sponsors as well, so let's hear from them right now. Serious XMNFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted previewing Training Camp here with my partner in all Things Packers, Wes Hodkowitz, with the first practice of training camp roughly, I guess i'd say twenty four hours away from when we are currently.
Speaker 3: Recording, eighteen hours away from when it gets posted, yeah, hours ago when people finally listen.
Speaker 1: To something like that. Something, Well, there are a couple of we've been talking about the competitions and drilling down into some of the details and whatnot, but there are some big picture type of things to look at here in training camp too. Because the Packers have two new coordinators on the coaching staff. It's Jonathan Gannon running the defense. It is cam Acord taking over on special teams. I don't know how much we are necessarily going to learn from a schematic standpoint, et cetera. With regard to the look of the defense and the special teams. Usually it takes a handful of games before you really get a sense of that.
Speaker 2: But this is a big This is a.
Speaker 1: Big training camp when you're making that much of a transition in two of the three phases, and that is something to watch here as the month of August rolls along.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, Mike, more than anything with the off season program, I watched the first team defense. I really had my eyes locked into it because I was just curious about how it's gonna look.
Speaker 2: What kind of system are they installing here.
Speaker 3: Again, it's not in pads, so you can't really take too much away from like the combat aspect of it, but the mental side of it is important, and I was in I left that last practice of mini camp and looking at it as this is going to be an exciting defense to watch.
Speaker 2: I think the Packers have a lot of intriguing pieces.
Speaker 3: I think they've added a couple spots to you know, whether it's a guy like Zaire Franklin that I think has the largest chip on his shoulder that you could possibly have after how everything ended in Indianapolis, and wanted to prove that he's still an All Pro linebacker, even though somebody last night about three thirty in the two thirty in the morning sent me an email lambasting me in the story I wrote yesterday for referring to him as an All Pro linebacker.
Speaker 2: It's former All Pro linebacker.
Speaker 3: Somebody out there felt that that was necessary in the middle of the night to send me that message.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It's not like his All Pro honor was ten years ago. It was only two years ago.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, sure, but former though whatever whatever gets you to sleep.
Speaker 1: But we digress.
Speaker 3: But no, Franklin's there, Yeah, you have you know, Javon Hargrave there, and these these pieces that they've added that have experience with Gannon mixed with all these guys that the Packers have coming back. I mentioned this an insider in that. I mean, if you want the ultimate like endorsement for Devonte Wyatt, Jonathan Gannon came in here, never saw the guy practice, never did anything on the field during the offseason program, and it's like, yep, let's get that done. We need that guy in this scheme. Yeah, Brian Goodikun's his scout. It's Matt Lafleur. They've seen it.
Speaker 2: They've seen how he's grown.
Speaker 3: They saw after they lost Kenny last year, how he took over in that spot, how he ran away with that position. They have playmakers and impact guys at all these different spots. Now it's up to Jonathan Gannon with his scheme, with his deception. He's gonna be the one that gets to play with all these pieces. And I think that's really exciting. When you can take a defense in the positive things that Jeff Hafley did last year and now put a new twist on it with Gannon, I think it's only going to make the Packers better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm very intrigued by a couple by those veteran editions. When you talk about Javon Hargrave in the middle of the defensive line, him lining up next to Devonte Wyatt, you know that sort of opens your eyes, like you know when when it gets to that point. But Zaire Franklin next to edgern Cooper at the linebacker level has me intrigued to and this is not meant as some kind of a knock on kuay Walker because it's it's gonna kind of sound like that, but it's not what I mean. But kuay Walker was almost as young a player as Edger and Cooper. And then Jeff Hafley comes in as defensive coordinator and kuay Walker has to learn a brand new defense as a young player. I've always wondered, Okay, Edgrin Cooper looks like, you know, a superstar in the making potentially with what he brings to the field. Is it going to be a true veteran, proven, been there, done that pro like Zaire Franklin that allows Edger and Cooper to really flourish, right, And again, I'm not knocking kway Walker. That guy played some really really good football for four seasons for the Packers, and kudos to him for the contract that he got with the Raiders, But the Packers decided to spend their resources elsewhere, and Edgerin Cooper is the guy at that level, at that second level of the defense who is potentially the next star in the making. And so how are they going to get the most out of Edger and Cooper? And I think the signing of Zayer. Franklin was partly with that in mind.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love that take because it reminds me of what Lucas Patrick and Corey Linsley and a bunch of guys had said to me. You go back to twenty seventeen when the Packers signed Jarry Evans and the impact that he had. He was a fine player that you're at NPS last year.
Speaker 2: In the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he was finishing up Hall of.
Speaker 3: Fame type caliber dude, yep. But the takeaway for Patrick, for Lindsley, for David Baktiari, seeing that type of professional that's made it that long in the league at that position, how beneficial it was for those guys, whether you were an undrafted guy or whether you were already in that all pro echelon like Baktiari. I think that's what Franklin brings here. And when you look at it too, Mike, it's not just Cooper, right, it's Tyron Hopper has spent two years learning the mic position.
Speaker 2: What is that going to be like for him now?
Speaker 3: Seeing a guy like Franklin who's been in the league for almost a decade now that has done it at a high level, has had a scratch and claw for those opportunities. You know, Isaiah McDuffie is still in there. There are so many different types of linebackers that the Packers have acquired, and as they make this transition into gain and scheme not I can't remember if you were on vacation and not when I wrote this, but there was a time, man where the Packers were converting outside linebackers and you know, they were having Morgan.
Speaker 2: Burnette play inside numbers.
Speaker 3: This is as deep as the Packers have ever been at inside backers. It's been that way the last three four years because that's the way you have to play now in this league. And I think Franklin is a really intriguing piece to add to that mix.
Speaker 1: And my point about Walker, just so I'm clear here when I's he was he was a young player who still had a lot of his own stuff to figure out, and with you know, changes a defensive coordinator and learning a new scheme and he's wearing the communication helmet and all that. My point is, I don't know how much Kway Walker was actually able to help Edger and Cooper in his first two years in the NFL, because he had plenty of his own stuff to deal with, and he handled all that pretty well. I just think there's a whole other level for Edger and Cooper out there that in it with a different dynamic and a different set up here. And yes, now Edgrin Cooper has to learn another defense the second time, you know, in his three years in the NFL here he has to go through that process now as well. But that having that accomplished, all Pro caliber veteran player next to him, I'm really intrigued as to what that might mean.
Speaker 3: Age is not a bad thing, right, yeah. I mean, you don't want no disrespect to Washington. You don't want to be like the Commanders where it was like it seemed like that like their average aged last year's team was like twenty nine years old. But to have some veterans in the mix that can help bring guys along and while still competing at a high level, that's a good thing, especially if you're as young as the Packers have been. And there was someone I was talking to a couple of days ago, because we were going back and forth about, you know, three years in a row, the youngest team, and you know this is someone within the organization. The remark was well, you know, Tyrod took care of that, Zaira took care of that. You know, all these guys that they brought in, there's a different level to it. And mixing that in now with what the packers. Packers have a bunch of veterans that they've grown themselves, that they've developed themselves, and now you get some outside perspectives now to kind of balance all of that experience.
Speaker 1: And you said it from the beginning with regard to Franklin, a veteran guy who definitely has a chip on his shoulder. He's got something to prove. I mean, this is a guy who was an All Pro two seasons ago and then after statistically, you know, a little bit of a drop off, the Colts decided to trade him for a part time defensive lineman. That's something that's going to stick with a guy like Franklin, and he's going to be out to uh, he's going to be able to prove something here quickly on special teams before we go. A lot of eyes will be on the whole kicking situation. Sixth round pick Tray Smack out of Florida. Lucas Haversick is the competition. Brandon McManus is no longer here. As we had talked about during the off season, Packers have got to get this kicking position figured out. Really, when you look at the last three seasons, it feels like in the back half of twenty twenty four when Brandon McManus was kind of in that groove, that's the last time that really the only time in the last three years that the kicking comp the kicking situation has felt comfortable to a certain extent, and the Packers have to get back to that and hopefully Tray Smack is the guy to do it. If he's not, hopefully Lucas Haversick is up to the task. But that's something that's got to get figured out for this team to get where it wants to go.
Speaker 3: And everybody understands the sense of urgency with this, you know, I was talking with Lucas in the off season about this. I mean, the margin for era there is so small, and there's so many guys that can do this, not do it maybe at the highest levels, but there's a lot of guys that can kick a football fifty yards? But can you do it when the pressure's on? Can you do it with an offensive line? And a defensive line standing in front of you, and can you beat the guy that the team needs you to be. The Packers were lucky and that even through the highs and lows, Mason Crosby was that guy.
Speaker 2: There was with the exception of probably the.
Speaker 3: Twelve season, the middle part of the twelve season, there was never a time in which Mason Crosby went out there that I had a pit in my stomach, like, I don't know how this is gonna go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he made some, made.
Speaker 3: A lot, he missed some, but you always knew that you were getting the best of Mason Crosby on that particular attempt.
Speaker 2: Now you look with what the Packers have dealt with.
Speaker 3: I know there's a lot of people like, why didn't you figured out this is a difficult thing to do. When you look at the money, like what Indianapolis threw up Matt Gay a couple of years ago, maybe the highest kicker in the league, he was out of there in a few years. You look at the situation that unfolded after the Bears moved on from Robbie Gold. You know they have a great kicker right now in Kyro Santos. It took them a long time. It took them a lot of legs to get to that spot.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: The Packers are trying to find that path and you know they're gonna We're gonna make a lot of the training camp practices and people will be charting to make and misses for Smack, They'll be charting to make some missues for half er Sick. I want to see Family Night. I want to see the preseason games, yep. I want to see those environments.
Speaker 1: That's when that's right, that's when the pressure is going to be on. And you know we've been answering questions and insider inbox about you know, Tray Smack and his leg strength is. You know, made ten fifty plus yard kicks in his career at Florida, which is a school record as long as fifty six. And I know there's going to be a lot when it comes to the practice field and Family Night. You know about the long field goals and all that, and I'm not even I'm not even worried about the leg strength. It's like in this day and age in the NFL, if if the if that kick is inside fifty yards, the expectation is that kick is going to be made, and yes, nobody is perfect, but the Packers need to have a ninety five percent proposition when the kick is inside fifty Yeah, the fifty five yarders and the fifty eight yarders, that's great, and Haversik made a sixty one yarder last year that proved to be big in a victory out in Arizona. But it's when that kick is inside fifty yards when the drive stalls and it's not fourth and one, but it's fourth and seven and you don't really have the option to go for it, and that kick is forty seven yards, that kick has got to be made.
Speaker 2: And for this.
Speaker 1: Offense to score the number of points that it's expected to score, those kicks have got to be made. And that's what the Packers are looking for.
Speaker 3: And it's got to be made under less than ideal circumstances, right, I mean, and this is not a dig on Brandon McManus, but when you look at the National Football League, you know, I think there's a lot of times where kickers will be like, well this tink go right?
Speaker 2: This think all right?
Speaker 3: I mean you go back to what was it, twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, Mason Crosby gets a brand new holder in Corey bojork Haz before the start of the season.
Speaker 2: He's left handed, left footed, and.
Speaker 3: They're trying to figure out their rhythm, their battery there, and it was a tough road and I know Mason probably felt some type of way about it, but just kept digging away at it because that's the job, that's the requirement, and the packers aren't a good spot and that they have the punter. They figured the punter spot out. That was something that plagued them for a little bit. Daniel Wheelan, I think is going to be a Green Bay packer for a very long time. Matt Orzik is kind of settled into that long snapper role after the packers were on a little bit of an odyssey. There no pun intended with the cultural references at the moment, but the fact is is that now they got to get the kickers spot left. You know, they've invested two six round picks into the position. Now, they did sign McManus, They've been through you can see the list of all these kickers that have been through in the last few years. I think haversick when that question came up about well, if you cut McManus what does that mean for the competition? I think Lucas Harsick is going to provide plenty of competition. It's up to Tray Smack now to show, Okay, I was undisputed the top kicker in this draft and really the only one that got drafted. Yep, I can do this straight away in the National Football League. I can take everything I did in the SEC kicking in front of one hundred thousand people and translated here to Green Bay, Wisconsin, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt about it. Well, with that, we will call it a rap on this comeback edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team on Packers dot com. Training camp. The first practice is Wednesday. We'll be back with another show on Thursday with our observations from that first practice, and then keep it rolling twice a week here for the next what five six months? Something like that?
Speaker 2: How seven months? All right?
Speaker 1: Seven months?
Speaker 2: West going to February? All right?
Speaker 1: Seven months? West says, So for Wes, I am like, thank you for tuning in and everybody again you will