Speaker 1: Media.
Speaker 2: Something strange is going on. Another member of the Russian elite has been found dead. Reports suggest that he fell out of a window, poisoned with mushrooms, died of heart failure, died of carbonnoxide poisoning. How comesy are they? Dozens of Russian oligachs, politically motivated millionaires have died in the space for three years, most of them in suspicious circumstances. Many have hidden links to the Kremlin. This is sad Oligach Season two, an ongoing investigation into these recently dead of Russian power brokers. Sad Oligach is created by me jake Hanrahan and my Ukrainian colleague Sergey Slipchenkov. This is a H eleven studio and Coolso Media production. July twenty seventh, twenty twenty four, Russian financier Georgi Chibisov is getting ready for a party on his luxury yacht. At forty four years old, He's done a right for himself, to say the least. He works as the marketing director of the Moscow Stock Exchange. He's been working abroad recently, though mostly in London. He's only been back in Russia for a month. A man in Georgie's position with his money is likely to be riding the seas on a Sunseeker, a very common yacht amongst the Russian upper class. The Sunseeker is a British made luxury motor powered yacht. The design is streamlined, pointy, almost sportslike hard edges smooth. It's thirty meters long and has a top speed of around thirty knots. There are five cabins, a master suite and room for up to five crew members. The main deck has a whole entrance lobby, a luxury bar and dining for up to eight people. These yachts have more than an average person has in their home. Very posh, very elite. On this night, Georgie Chibasov is feeling himself. Of course, he's hosting a party on his own yacht. It bobs up and down gently in the Mosque for River. This river flows through the Moscow province and part of the Smolensko Blast in the west of the country. It's an important source of Moscow's water supply. The yacht is docked in the river for a while. After Georgie's recent holidays here, there, and everywhere, Georgie's friends and associates get the party started on the yacht. There are dozens of people on board. There's music, dancing, alcohol seen as there's people from the banking world on board. There's also almost definitely cocaine. In the eighties, a report written off the back of a drug enforcement operation in the US cited that roughly ninety percent of people working in the financial district used cocaine. Russia is not much different. Little has changed since the eighties. The party is in full swing. It's dark at the harbor, but the yacht glows like a night light on the river. It's a bachelor party, probably hopefully for one of Georgie's friends, as he himself is married. At some point in the night, Georgie is separated from the crowd on this boat full of partygoers. He wanders out into the darkness, maybe for a cigarette, who knows. At some point, somehow he falls straight off the side of his yacht and plunges into the dark water below. It's not a huge drop, maybe six or seven meters about twenty three feet. Impact with the water from that height would sting a lot, but it's highly unlikely you die from that alone. Presumably though Georgie had been drinking at the party, perhaps even drunk, and the body is filled up with too much alcohol. The body doesn't operate properly. It's called motor incoordination, also known as being pissed drunk, the limbs don't do what the brain wants. If you've ever drank too much, you'll know the deal. Georgie is now up to his neck in dark water in the middle of the night, having drank and partied for hours. He's fully clothed, shoes on, kicks in the water, calls for help. The music is playing. No one hears. He struggles, tries to swim. He's drank too much, though Georgie goes under. The more he kicks and fights it, the faster he sinks. He's drowning. Water fills his lungs as he can hold his breath not more. Before long he needs a watery end, dead, drowned beside his own yachts. After an hour or so, people begin to notice Georgie's absence. Where is he? But to this point the people panic. They search for Georgie. They call out his name, they called his phone. Nothing, They can't find him because, of course, he's at the bottom of the river. Despite the panic, for some reason, the friends then don't do much at all. The police are only alerted by Georgie's wife several hours later when she gets worried that she hasn't heard from him. Of course, she can't get hold of him. A day later, this corpse is dredged from the mosque of the river. Following that the trail goes completely cold. No update in over a year. Of course, according to authorities, it was just a random tragedy, a simple accidental death. Apparently, well, that was just story one. There were very few details on this case. And yet somehow all the official stories we've found, in both Russian and in English all contradict each other to some degree. That is, the small amount of information in each press release on this varies to the point of there being three different versions of that faithful day when Georgie drowned in the Mosqueva. Story two is quite similar, but it differs in that it says Georgie was out all night partying elsewhere, possibly in the city or at a friend's house. According to the alternative information, the yacht wasn't actually Georgie's either, it was someone else's. The way he died, though, is much the same. He wandered off from the main crowd whilst on the yacht and then fell into the water. This version, however, says that the worried friends who went looking for him are the ones who called the police, not Georgie's wife. She was alerted later. Then there's story three. This one is quite different. In this third version of events, Georgie was not on a yacht specifically, It was apparently on a quote ship whilst on holiday. Now I took this to mean a cruise ship, and if you fall off of a cruise ship, you're looking at a considerably higher drop than if you fell from a yacht. The story doesn't actually say anything about which ship, where it was going, where it had come from, and what happened when they found out a holidaymaker had fallen off of it. Either way, for the sake of argument, let's just presume it was an averaged sized cruise ship. It would have been around one thousand feet long, with about fifteen decks and space for roughly three thousand passengers. If you fall from the main deck of a cruise ship, even an average size one, you're looking at a one hundred feet drop till you hit the water. You'd probably die on impact. From this height, the body falls at around fifty miles an hour. When you hit the water's surface, you might as well be hitting concrete. The speed and impact are likely going to knock you out and then of course you drown. If Georgie was on a cruise ship, he had no hope whatsoever when he fell. According to this series of events, he didn't just slip off of the edge dock. He was apparently messing around on a diving platform. Now this struck me, so I had to look around, and it turns out you cannot actually dock a proper cruise ship in the Moskva River. It's not deep enough and several places it's far too narrow. Okay, all right, now it's time for a quick adbreak, all right, Not for that, now back to the shore. Still though, I wanted to know where this extra diving platform information comes from, and it seems to be from the Russian news outlet mk U. This is a Moscow based newspaper with a circulation of around one million. It's been going it since nineteen nineteen and is known for its political and societal commentary surprise. It's pro Kremlin pro putin and is owned by a man named Pavel Gusev. Gusev has strong ties to the Kremlin. He's been a member of the Presidential Council for Civil Society and Human Rights of the Russian Federation. People appointed to this position on this board are picked specifically by Putin himself. Anyway, Pavel Gusev's MKRU says that quote one of the vacationers, Georgie, neglected safety rules and apparently, according to Newsweek quote, tried to use the diving platform alone before falling into the water. No passengers saw what happen to Chibisov, as no staff for nearby and the captain was driving the yacht. Convenient Emergency services were alerted on July twenty seventh to a criminal case of operation of water transport. The Western Interregional Investigative Department for Transport currently investigating the situation as a potential death by negligence through operation of a water transport, which carries a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment. Ends quote. Now the ship is identified as a yacht, but in this version the yacht seems to be one that gives trips up and down the river at night so people can party. Every big city with a river has these. You pay your money, you jump on board the yacht, sales on a circuit, you have fun. Personally, I've never been on one. I have been invited, but to me it sounded like the worst thing on earth. The only detail in this third story, which is becoming an increasingly confusion amalgamation of sources I know that I find new and noteworthy, is this from Mkru quote. The top manager Georgie disappeared on the evening of July twenty seventh after falling from a pleasure boat while sailing along the Moscow River. According to relatives, he wrote a message to his wife and never contacted her again. Ends quote. By the way, a pleasure boat is not as serious it sounds. It's just a name for the party I explained a minute ago. We'll come back to this quote about messaging his wife though in a bit so. Why the varying series of different stories when it comes to this case, well, it seems to be due to Russian reporters copying and pasting together different bits of information about the Georgie death from here, there and everywhere at least that's what Sergei said he felt was happening when he was reading it again. Though, this comes back to the hurdles we keep facing with each case. There seems to be a collective effort in Kremlin backed media to report vaguely and contradictory when it comes to this series of mysterious, wealthy Russian deaths. In the first series, each case had a pretty extensive well of knowledge to tap. There were crime scene photos, people we could contact, eyewitnesses, quotes from the eyewitnesses, proper statements from the police, all of that. But as we've seen with each case in season two, there is allmost nothing. Now I'm not saying that the Kremlin knows or cares what we're doing, but it does seem to me as if there is a concerted effort to make sure there is little information going out there when it comes to the depth of rich Russian power brokers. The information that does go out there is very contradictory, and you could easily falsely report the wrong situation. I think that is by design. So in that case, which story about Georgi Chibasov is the real one? Well, this is something we've tried to get to the bottom of and as far as I can tell, kind of all of them and also none of them. Let me explain. So I think we need to jigsaw some of the information together here to figure out the most realistic situation before we move on to what happened. Remember this is just my point of view, having spent years research and all of this, but I could of course be wrong. We have to take a little bit from story one, a pinch of story two, and a dash of story three. Here's what I think we get. Georgi Chibasov had only been back in Russia for one month, if that, he'd spent the past two years in London working away. No doubt being home was a cause for extended celebration. On the night of his death, he went to his friend's bachelor party that was held on one of these pleasure boats. These expensive parties on yachts that go up and down the river so those who can afford it can feel special. In the midst of this party, Georgie went out for a sig and, whilst drunk, stumbled over the edge of the railings and died in the river. The yacht carried on its married way as he drowned to death. Now, this could well just be an accident. Of all the cases we've been looking at so far in season two, this one is most likely a situation where the cigar is just a cigar. Still, though, I have a hunch that there's more to it. Something that keeps sticking in my head is Mkiu's claim that Georgie tried to climb up onto the diving platform. He apparently tried to do this, presumably whilst drunk in the dark, on his own, whilst everyone else partied inside the yacht as it moved along the river. That alone seems a pretty weird thing to do for a man of forty four years old. Also, there's this constant claim that no one saw what happened to Georgie. The captain was driving the yacht, the passengers were partying, the staff were serving them. Then, how the fuck does anybody know that Georgie climbed up onto a diving platform and fell off. How cameras maybe, but why hasn't anyone reported that? Where are the images? Why wouldn't the newspaper mention security footage if there was some. There's not even a single screenshot of Georgie on the deck of any yacht anywhere. Something doesn't add up here. If there was a motive for someone to kill Georgie, it could have something to do with his background or his employment. Let's talk to Surgery and see what he's found. So I think really to kind of work out if there might be some kind of other element to all of this with Georgie, I think we need to look at his background. I know, again he's another one who's a bit of a ghost, but there's a few things out there, whatever you managed to find.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean I'm basically looking at his background. I guess you can say kind of like work history his He doesn't have a LinkedIn or anything like that, but a few articles kind of lining it out. So basically nineteen ninety nine, it says he started in e commerce. Sounds like he's kind of doing everything at that point. He's like selling, he's finding places to actually buy the stuff to sell, and he's selling it online. It sounds like, I mean, it's nineteen ninety nine, so you know, e commerce is kind of just starting. So that's what it sounds like. Like it's a very like kind of doing things on his own, figuring things out in the early two thousands is when he joins more kind of bigger places, so like there's like these are Russian places, so I don't think like you'll know them, but like wiki Mart and a bunch of other places that even I haven't heard before, basically just online retailers. I guess you can kind of think like Amazon kind of places. Maybe eBay. I guess he's say hustling selling different things. Doesn't specify like what exactly he's selling, but at some point, and like late two thousands, he figures out that he likes marketing. That's what he focuses on, and that's what he works on. I didn't see him have any specific like degrees or anything. It kind of sounds like he's more like self taught. Again, it's very early Internet kind of getting his way around it. It sounds like he's like an early adopter, you know, doing e commerce in ninety nine.
Speaker 2: It was pure wild West back then. I remember even reading in the newspaper as a kid at the time about people that had made millions just on eBay. I remember this one guy that basically bought a load of very cheap camping gear from China through a logo on some of it, and then was just selling on eBay for like double the prize and just making a fortune. That time was crazy, like people would just making money left and right in the e commerce world. Okay, all right, now it's time at break. Oh not for that, now back to the shore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. That's the thing that there is no degree at that point, especially right for this kind of stuff. It's like you said, as the world West that you're just kind of figuring it out. And I'm sure at that time, you know, having any kind of experience like this would probably you know, get you a pretty good job if you can help people figure this out. But yeah, it sounds like, you know, he kind of figured his own way out. He's making it pretty well. There's like a whole list of companies that he worked at. It sounds like he made his way up, like started as a marketer and then eventually he was like leading departments, kind of being director of this and that, communications marketing stuff like that. Eventually he makes his way to a UK based company it's called Wheelie. It's interesting because none of the Russian articles, I would say like ninety percent of them don't even mention him working here. Most of them would say he was in the UK for the past two years, which that would have been like so he passed away in July twenty twenty four. Using their timeframe, it's like twenty twenty two, twenty three years in the UK, London specifically, And they don't don't say anything other than he's kind of finishing his business or whatever, just very vague stuff, which I found kind of interesting that they don't really mention him working here. There was like one article that just says, yeah, he was a marketer for Wheely. That's kind of where I started. But the reason I could confirm he was at Wheeley and the actual timeline, which is he worked there from twenty twenty two until May twenty twenty four, was from his own telegram page, because other than that, I couldn't find it anywhere else. He had his own telegram channel where he could say was being a bit of like an influencer, kind of like, oh, guys, here's what you do for marketing, like kind of posting different strategies and goals and things he saw that were interesting to him, and like different marketing campaigns he liked. Kind of more like a LinkedIn influencer.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, that like like hustle bro business bro vibe to it, right, Like he's kind of I mean he's forty four. He's not exactly like old or anything yet, but he was in that kind of he grew up in that weird era. So yeah, I had a look at the telegram and he's really like he's just trying to be like that guy online, like hey, like stick with me, I'll I'll tell you how to make money. And if for anyone that doesn't know, like this, WHEELI is a strange business. It's kind of like luxury chauffeurs, like it's it's kind of it's called trusted chauffeurs for discerning travelers. It's kind of like again, I think for people maybe that perhaps don't have the money they want people to think they have. That's the vibe. Yet, And you can pay to basically be driven around or delivered somewhere virus chauffeur in a very nice car that's not actually yours. But again, it is interesting that apparently he worked in London doing this, but there's not really any trace of that. I actually reached out to them, got absolutely nothing, And yeah, it's just like he was just he was tying up business in London, like what like very weird and then to go from that to come to Russia for a month. But he works as the marketing stock exchange in Moscow, Like I don't know, there's it's quite there's quite a lot going on here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's not just coming in as a marketer. From what I could tell, they don't men, they didn't like not all sources mentioned his exact titles. You would just say, yeah, like marketing at the stock exchange, but multiple sources say director, so you know, not just not just like some senior I don't know, associate or something like. It sounds like he's kind of leading it and the Moscow Stock Exchange, you know, pretty big deal. And yeah, like like you said, he comes here in June, so just a month before his death June twenty twenty four, he comes to Moscow like he moves there because he was he was permanently living in the UK for two years. It wasn't like traveling back and forth or anything like that. Like he he was. He was like there for two years and he moves back, he moves back to Russia. He's in Moscow for a month. I guess two months because his death was closer to the end of July. But yeah, so two months, and yeah, he passes away and that that's pretty much it. Like there's not much not much in between it like there's not much time in between two for anything to happen.
Speaker 2: Really, So, Georgie worked for a short time before his death as the marketing director for the Moscow Stock Exchange, colloquially known as MOX. This is a very big role with a lot of responsibility, so I wondered could his workplace shed some light on Georgie's fate. First, I wanted to take a look at potential corruption within the marketing department at MOX, specifically, as we know, whenever there's corruption in Russia, there are soon bodies and what do you know, the MOX marketing people have been up to know good. There are several allegations that the press service at the Stock Exchange have been selling desirable coverage to help businesses with investments. This is illegal. There are whispers that they've been taking bribes to change the coverage to assist in a form of insider trading. Nancy Pelosi would absolutely love this Allegedly, the corruption goes deeper. It's said that people at the Moek's marketing department have been taking payment in an agreement that they'll spin financial news to assist traders who want to manipulate the market, specifically tamping down bad news long enough to allow investors to get themselves out of a bag hole. So I think you have to ask, could Georgie have come into a corrupt department and been taken out for refusing to play ball? Maybe, but honestly I think it's unlikely. Two months is hardly enough time for heavies to lean on a man who's just started at his new role. What I find more interesting is Georgie's time in London. He left Russia to go work in the UK just around the time that Russia launched the full scale invasion of Ukraine. As far as we can see, Georgie never said anything publicly had on about the war. What we did find was an indirect comment about how it's affecting the markets. This was twenty four hours before he died, so the last post was on Friday July twenty sixth, or a day before he died, two days before his body was found he's discussing the interest rate increase by the Bank of Russia from sixteen to eighteen percent, and he says here quote, you can consider the news in one line, we are waiting for new proposals for deposits from banks, and if you want to take out a law or a mortgage, then my condolences. So what's he what's he saying that. He's basically saying, like, this is a bad mood for the customers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's basically saying, as interest rate goes up, loans are essentially more expensive for you, or you might just not even get approved for it. He's basically saying like, if you were looking to take out a loan, be it for a car, you know, a house, whatever, maybe business, he's basically saying good luck in a like a pessimistic way, like it's not looking good for you. It's going to be extremely expensive to the point of it might not even be worth to take out this loan. Right, So he's kind of saying, you know, the economy is not looking good. He doesn't say like, oh, everything's horrible, but the whole like my condolences, is very clearly saying like you're kind of screwed. You know, you have news outlets dedicated to just following the markets because they predict the economy and stuff. So for the Mosco of Stock Exchange too, you know, for the director of marketing to make those comments, that's it's a pretty big deal, you know that. Imagine if like prime minister or something, or a minister of finance came out and was like, oh, you guys are fucked.
Speaker 2: In Russia Moscow specifically, is this enough to get perhaps pushed off of a boat and drowned to death? Who knows, but I think this, coupled with whatever Georgia Chibisov was up to in London, could be was he maybe seen as a traitor for leaving the country to work for the enemy When Putin ultra nationalism is at an all time high. Here's what Putin said on the sixteenth of March twenty twenty two, when addressing Russians who'd left the country or have voiced opposition against the war in Ukraine. He said, quote, the Russian people will always be able to distinguish true patriots from scum and traitors, and will simply spit them out like a gnat that accidentally landed in their mouths, spit them out on the pavement. End quote. Remember there are no witnesses as to how Georgie died. The captain of the boat didn't see, the passengers didn't see, the staff didn't see. And yet still a newspaper close to the Kremlin explained what happened with no evidence whatsoever, no source, nothing. You've been listening to sad oligay At season two, produced by H eleven Studios for Cool Zone Media. Writing, editing, producing, concept and bording by myself, Jake Hanrahan. Research and reporting by Sergei Slichenko, Me and Victim Mihail. Executive producing by Sophie Lichtman. Music by Sam Black, artwork by George Zutpaul Sound mixed by Splicing Block. See my other projects at Hanrahan dot tv. Get me on social media at Jake Underscore Hanrahan. That's h A N R A h A n