Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Horizon Forbid Trend West.
Speaker 2: Let's go cook.
Speaker 1: I am Jack, and I'm thrilled to be joined by a special guest co host, DJ Daniel.
Speaker 2: Good mate, that's me baby.
Speaker 3: Happy for all my fellow Portland trail blazers out there. I hope everybody for twenty Eve.
Speaker 2: That's right, not today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I fucked up, you blew it and we we already recorded the four twenty episode for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Uh, same thing tomorrow, that's all I'm saying. Yeah, I'm saying that's all right.
Speaker 1: Hey, some people start early. It's like Christmas. Eve has its own tradish. Maybe for twenty Eve does too.
Speaker 2: Leave out milk and cookies for Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, start baking your cookies for tomorrow. That's before you bake yourself bro am. I right, put the cookies and milk out, all right. Horizon Forbidden West The Burning Shores has released and yeah, yes, five gamers are eating.
Speaker 3: Thank you for Thank you for reading my headline so effectively. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: I just doing my best to act like I know what any of that means. All I know about video games. Is from the c net article that says all the best video games are old and open opens with this sentence. I was like, right when I read the headline, I was like, okay, this is a forty two year old white guy. Turns out the first sentence of the article is I am old forty one years old to be precise, so good. I was all by one year. But anyways, tell me why you're excited about gaming, and particularly Horizon Forbidden West.
Speaker 2: The burn certainly will.
Speaker 3: The Horizon franchise is my favorite video game story franchise, followed closely by the Last of Us. The Forbidden West expansion, The Burning Shores is set in my hometown of Los Angeles. A bit of a spoiler kind of for people who haven't played the Horizon franchise, but alas, it's amazing. It's this huge open area. It's a third of the size of the original map, so they just took the original huge map and added a third of that to a whole new area.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's amazing and introduced new mechanics and it's just I just you know, let me tell you something. This game is always pushing the envelope on how incredible video games can look and feel. It's some of the best mechanical expression that I found in video games. If you like the idea of hunting giant robots with a bow and arrow and exploring beautiful vast landscapes as an awesome lead character who doesn't take any shit from anybody. I just could not recommend it highly enough. The expansion came out, I will be streaming it later on Twitch so that if anybody wants to watch me go oh my good, then you can watch me there. But yeah, it's just I mean, it's just another fucking great game that uh deserves some love. And so yeah, check out Horizon Forbidden West. The Burning Shore is released right now out on the PS five. It is so good and worth all your money.
Speaker 1: That sounds boring to me. I prefer Super Mario Brothers because I'm old and my opinions on video games matter. You mentioned the word mechanic a couple of times. Yes, what does this mean?
Speaker 3: Mechanic is just the way that you are able to interact with the video Mechanical expression is how you are able to control the character and how responsive it is to your controlling. And some games just don't have that as well. Some games are described as clunky or slow, like you're moving through molasses, but games like Horizons Forbidden West, and I could go on after hours about games a good mechanical expression, but her Verizon Forbidden West has particularly strong mechanical expression, meaning how you interact with the game feels natural, feels responsive, just a great game to play.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm, got it?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: How's it compared to the mechanics of Super Mario Brothers. No, all right, I'll stop talking about video games out of my depths, but that all sounds beautiful. I truly love listening to people who are passionate about video games talk about video games, because great, you guys are really good at conveying what is exciting about this new form of media. And I just don't have the time to put into playing video games. I think that was the reason I stopped playing, was just I didn't I felt bad about playing video games because of my own issues.
Speaker 3: Look the things in my own life that I've put to the wayside to make time for it. I think nobody has time to play video games. I recently realized that I have over three thousand hours in Rocket League, and that was a sad realization to come to. I love that game, but damn, three thousand hours of my life have been dedicated to one game and that hurts my feelings a little bit. Wouldn't trade it for anything else, though. Yeah, I mean I watched a lot of movies.
Speaker 1: I watch a lot of TV, listen to music like all, you know, I just chose where, Like I was, like, these things, when I spend a lot of time on them, don't make me feel bad about myself. So I'm going to like, for instance, this next story, Twilight is getting rebooted as a TV series. I've spent at least three thousand hours watching the Twilight franchise.
Speaker 2: Your big team Edward, right, Oh, come on.
Speaker 1: Is there any like I think the I think history has spoken with regards to whose career has.
Speaker 2: Stood the test of time. I mean one of them became a deliver one of them is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this just seems to be a thing that's going to be happening for the rest of our natural lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything is going to get rebooted into a TV series, And I mean, you know, just jumping right back to what we were talking about, Horizon is getting turned into a TV series. As well at some point, so lord knows, I will be here making a similar kind of statement about how awesome the Horizon TV show is. So yeah, everything is just getting recycled and put into different things, and yeah, I don't know, it sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not great.
Speaker 1: So another day, another innocent kid shot by a scared gun owner. That makes three in the last week, I believe, this time in Elgin, Texas, where two cheerleaders got into a car thinking that it was their uber or their friend picking them up and the person just opened fire. We've obviously talked about the child who was shot for ringing the wrong doorbell when trying to pick up his sibling, and there was one in upstate New York after that where people pulled into the wrong driveway to turn around and the person just opened fire. The gun industry obviously bears responsibility for how many guns are in people's hands in America, and I think the more guns that are loose in America, the more likely things like this are to happen. You also need to take a look at the marketing that happens in the gun industry, because it is all just these revenge self protection fantasies about getting to like people who are coming for you and your family, and then you know that are basically part of a cinematic universe with like the news that Fox News chooses to put out there and local news stations choose to put out there where they just overemphasize crime and make it seem like everybody's coming after you, and it's it is a nightmare and one that is getting increasingly worse because gun ownership just shot up during the pandemic.
Speaker 3: So not only did the gun ownership rise, but like the protections against gun companies as well. You know, it's kind of like it's kind of like the taxes thing that we're talking about tomorrow's episode about how there's just so much money behind keeping things the way they are and so much legislation that goes into protecting gun companies from any sort of legal recourse for the weapons that they put out into the world. As we saw in a Tennessee another story if you don't mind moving on, of course, yea to you know, so a couple stories in Tennessee as of late, there is two things have happened recently. So you may remember three weeks ago there was an awful, you know, shooting at a Tennessee school, leaving six people dead. Three of them were nine years old. And since that happened, one of the things that has just been passed into law, or rather it has been passed through the Tennessee Senate and is now on the desk of the governor is the permitless carry age being lowered to eighteen. And this is just the kind of thing that I've read, and I was like, first of all, I didn't even know permitless carry existed. The fact that you can just own a gun without a permit to own it, without any knowledge of how to use it, Like you can just go and buy a gun without anything else. This is stopping you in your way. It's like, I don't know a single place where you can drive a car without a license, and yet now, at the age of eighteen, you can carry a gun without a permit a handgun, mind you, but still it's like a weapon of murder in the hands of anybody in Tennessee the age of eighteen or older. And I don't know, it's just these kind of stories make me scratch my head. They make me really, really fucking sad.
Speaker 1: It's so flagrant.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's incredibly, it's incredibly flagrant. And similarly, another actual law was passed that protects gunmakers from lawsuits in the state of Tennessee. So like a little bit of context for that. Last year, Remington, the gun manufacturer of Remington, settled a lawsuit with the families of Sandy Hook. Now remember Sandy Hook was over a decade ago, and just last year they settled with Remington for seventy three million dollars. And the accusations were that Remington was advertising to young men through various forms of targeted product placement, also in violent video games, which I think is a separate discussion, but regardless, they're advertising through the means of reaching young kids. And Tennessee is like, well, we'd hate to see our gun producers face any lawsuit for the murder weapons that they put out into the world, and are passing loss to protect them from those sorts of things, And it's just like, what, what is the goal here? The goal is to the goal is to allow more and more production of murder weapons put out into the world and completely exonerate them of any responsibility when those things are used for their intended purpose on innocent people, right, And it's just I don't I don't know what where are we going, what is the what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the goal is to protect commerce at all costs, protecting arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just really really disappointing. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, Ben Shapiro is doing his part worrying about what is going to happen in Frozen four. There there's just a great viral clip of him saying that if Elsa or Anna one of them, Yeah, I think he has a feeling that they might be a lesbian and is like and if they come out and say that she's a lesbian in Frozen four will destroy to Like it's just a very strange it's just like rant that he's going on destroy Disney.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think it's a funny sentence because like, what do you think that could actually happen? Like, what steps do you think could actually happen that would destroy Disney?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what can they possibly do? They're under attack? Ron de Santis was talking about building a private prison around Disney World, So yes, fuck Ron de Santa's fuck Disney too, But I mean for many other reasons.
Speaker 2: For many other reasons.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break we'll come back and talk about the Duncan menu is bringing back an old faith. Duncan Donuts had removed the butter roasted pecan swirl coffee flavoring.
Speaker 2: Much too much chagrin, I'll have you know. Is that real?
Speaker 1: You're you're you're a fan.
Speaker 3: Bro, I'm your fucking pumpkin spice baby over here. I stay, I stay drinking all them flavored coffees because you know what, Frankly, I need a little love. I need to need a little extra joy in my life sometimes not hurting anybody else. And if I'm gonna have a couple of pumps of some sweetness in my coffee, brother, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: And butter pecan is particularly pretty good.
Speaker 3: Hits the spot, a little little little bit of a tiny little bit of smoky flavor, that butteriness, making it a little bit more, a little more umami up in there.
Speaker 2: Hmmmm.
Speaker 1: Sounds delicious. This is also just very This seems like the most transparent like artificial scarcity example that I've ever seen, because my gosh, like this is it's not like the butter pecan crop, the butter pecan laboring crop, had a bed a couple of years and it drove the prices through the roof. It was just like, what could have possibly motivated them other than getting a news story out there that Butterburccan is going away and then bringing it back. But the classic flavor is later to return to Dunkan restaurants nationwide on April twenty six. Then it's back permanently, so we can all we can all chill out a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know, who is the most I shouldn't say guilty, but who uses this tactic the most by far is Mcdonald'sonald, the McRib spicy nuggets.
Speaker 2: They could bring Seshuan.
Speaker 3: Sauce back and people would lose their minds, like all of these all of these little things that they have for a limited time only, and there'd be like, gang.
Speaker 2: It's back.
Speaker 3: It's like, bitch, you've had it in the freezer for years and you're just waiting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Come eat piggies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, you know what, pink pink, Yeah, this little piggy's coming to the turf.
Speaker 2: There is a.
Speaker 1: Story that I think we even talked about. The McRib like availability was based on like pork futures and in retrospect and with some distance from that story, I feel like that has to have been planted by McDonald's. Yeah, to be like, it's driven by natural ebbs and flows and you know, normal ingredients, and it's not a marketing tactic at all. They don't know what you're talking about. And then just a couple stories about the LGBTQ plus community being completely under attack. So Twitter removed protections for trans people from their terms of service.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did, and this was only discovered. So this happened on April eighth, but it was only discovered yesterday by GLAD. And here is the line as it reads on the original terms of Use or TOS terms of service. We prohibit targeting others with repeated slurs, tropes, or other content that intends to degrade or reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes about a protected category. This includes targeted misgendering or dead naming of transgender individuals. And that one line was just removed, and it's just another another you know, pawn in the war against trans people that Elon Musk is deciding to you know, insert himself into by being a fucking shithead and making more social media places a dangerous place for trans people to be. And it's just like another fucking head scratcher of who is making money off this such that you think that that like this is this is worth it?
Speaker 2: Like why why why why why?
Speaker 3: I don't know this is a bad person because he's a bad person, and that's all there is to it.
Speaker 1: There's an attention economy where you know, doing some edge lord shit gets him attention from the handful of millions of reply guys who I just kind of cornered the market of all the people who he interacts with. And then there's another story that Florida's Board of Education is officially expanding that Don't Say Gay bill. So Florida's Don't Say Gay Bill has now been expanded to cover all grades now, including grades four through twelve. So this bullshit bill was introduced under the bullshit premise that they need to protect children up to third grade from this idea, and now it's just mask off. They're just like, no, we actually just want to remove these people's reality from our reality and make it so that we don't have to honor their existence. So like, by their logic, this is a law to protect fucking seventeen year olds from the realities of human identity and sexuality. And this is of course Rondo Santis just trying to go harder and further the right than Trump, and this is how he's choosing to do it.
Speaker 2: Miserable. Yeah, one of the worst, really, really, one of the worst.
Speaker 1: Cool world. All right, Well, those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday, April nineteenth. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine. Yes, don't do nothing about white supremacy. And we will talk to y'all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye. Peace,