Speaker 1: Hi, guys, Welcome to Joy one oh one the podcast. I'm so happy that you're here. We are midsummer and I was just thinking about one on one time in life. You know how sometimes you do family vacations or family dinners, or you go with your friends, et cetera. And I did something last week where I took my sixteen year old niece on a little mini vacation, just the two of us, and we'd never done that before, and it was one of these spectacular vacations, not because of where we went or what we did, because we were together. And she asked me during the vacation, I was like, what was your favorite part? She said, oh, I love this. I love this. And then she said, well, what was your favorite part? And I said, my favorite part was watching you and watching her kind of come out of her shell, watching her blossom, listening to her talk about school, about life, about boys, about everything. And I realized, had it not been for that time together alone, we would have never had that conversation. She would have been seventeen, and then she would have gone off to college and then, you know, life rolls on. So it was a reminder to me, and just today, in fact, I'm in our office. My seven year old came here to my office to spend part of the day with me. So I think whenever we carve up time, which we all have to all the time, it's the way we live. But I think every now and then, taking out some time to do something individually, to do something one on one. And I feel like I learned stuff too. I'm not, like you know, miss aunt Hody, the advice giver. I feel like I was on the receiving end, and I learned a lot about her. I also learned that the less I talk, the more she talks. I learned that she has tons of wisdom my niece does. I learned that not everyone's going to be on my schedule. I like to get up early and exercise, and she kind of got up later. But I realized we met in the middle. So good advice is so important and it can come from everywhere. And I'm so excited about my next guest, because if you want to talk good advice, I've got two words for you. Jefferson Fisher. Jefferson Fisher. Okay, so some of you may know Jefferson Fisher already. He's a former trial attorney. He actually still is a trial attorney. But he started giving great life advice, advice about boundaries, about saying no, about how to ask for a raise, all these things. So, in his words, he started off as an atturne, which is an observer of people in a way to argue, and he realized that arguing doesn't win, but listening often does. So he said God kind of steered him into this other profession. I heard him on the Mel Robbins podcast and on Diary of a CEO and a bunch of other places, and now I can't unsee him, and I have this beautiful conversation with Jefferson. He taught me things. He has great advice. If you are in a relationship and not communicating, Jefferson Fisher is your guy. If you are concerned about how am I going to ask my boss for a raise? I'm too afraid. Jefferson Fisher is the guy. If you're somebody who's just trying to put some boundaries up because you're saying yes to everybody and you're like an empty vessel, Jefferson Fisher is your guy. So I hope you enjoyed this conversation with Jefferson Fisher. Okay, First of all, I'm so happy to be with you for multiple reasons. Number one, you're so funny because the minute I saw you somewhere on Insta or whatever, you're all I see now. Like it's like when I wanted to buy a Toyota Siena, all I could now all I ever see on the hume, Like there's another Oh my god, They're everywhere. So you're everywhere, which I think is so cool. Tell me about whether you hit the scene as kind of an explosion and then you're here or was it a slow build? Because if you're looking for advice on how to speak to people, how to be calm, all boundaries, you seem to have a ton of answers. So how did you make your emergence onto this onto this platform.
Speaker 2: Oh I started probably a little over three years ago or so, and I just an attorney and I'm still an attorney. My wife's an attorney. They're two young kids. And right around that time, I thought, well, I wanted I was at a big defense firm and I wanted to go off and do my own thing in my late twenties, like I can do this, and so at that time I thought, well, I need to be on social media, and so I started making videos shortly after on like what can I make that's just content for good in the world. You know, there's no shortage of good things in the world, So how can I just help? And I thought, well, people think that attorneys know how to argue, so I was like, how can I I made a video on how to argue like an attorney. But it was different than most people think. You know, instead of trying to win, is trying to understand. And I think there's a lot of contrast there. And I gave advice on not only my own personal experience and a fifth generation attorney, so everybody in my family is an attorney, and then you know, if you've been married, if you have kids, there's a lot of lessons there my faith as well, and so I just started answering questions and I never in a million years old I thought this is where it would be. There was never a let me go online and this is what I'm working towards and art one, YEAHN have this no it in like I barely put some stuff out and then it just went nuts boom.
Speaker 1: Well, you have like almost seven million followers. I was looking at I was like, wait, what I mean? This is crazy, But I did have to go way back because I love to look for a commencement address. I always feel like that that's a real tell. And no matter who I interview, I'm like, I wonder if they've ever given a commencement address. Well, I saw one that you gave at your own school, and you were first of all adorable. Secondly your timing and your humor. So I know your advice works. But life, I feel like, especially in this field of communication, which I'm intimately familiar with too, it's like a lot of things are about timing and how you go about it. When you were a little kid, was this just one of your things, like you you had that thing, people laughed when you said things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was definitely. I was definitely a ham.
Speaker 2: You know, I see myself and my son now, who is the exact you know, exact same way. I put on a lot of little performances. I had like little mock trials and I did montrial even competitively in college. But yeah, it was definitely something that's that's always kind of been there and to see this kind of turn into that path because a lot of it is also creative, in some sense of how you come up with videos and how can I distill things and make it really practical and digestible. And so it's funny how God's going to just use these gifts in a way that says, Okay, you started in law, but I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Switch you over to start this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so it's it's just been a really full circle moment that I just never ever, you know, I feel like some people get you know, they climb towards something, and other people get pushed towards something. And that was definitely mine where I I just never I had a friend oda I'm not kidding. When I was on Instagram right before I started making videos at a friend who was another attorney, and he had a thousand followers on Instagram, and I was like, a thousand followers.
Speaker 3: How could you ever get a thousand followers?
Speaker 2: Because everybody I had was just friends from you know, high school, yeah, in law school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your people. What I love about this is what's interesting to me about you is you're an attorney, and attorneys know how to argue or and as you said, now to understand the person your opposite, your opposite from. But I feel like the stuff you're talking about is nothing about that. I mean, it is about communicating, but it's really about life. It's about connecting, it's about understanding. It's more in your it's more like spirit and in your you know, being as opposed to how am I going to organize these thoughts so I can say it in the right way? I mean, so what some of the worst communicators I know I connect with soul to soul. You know, you feel the vibe. I mean there are certain people jeffersone and I walk in a room, I feel totally at ease. And there are some people I may or may not know them. I feel kind of like my back's up?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: And I'm sure you've had these kind of feelings in the courtroom and among friends. Why is it that there are people who instantly put us at ease? We're like, oh, I like that person. I don't know them, but I like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has something to do with part charisma. Yeah, I think it's deeper than that, because charisma is not something you can exactly. You can you can say charismatic things. You can give compliments, you can you know, give things with with hunting instead of vinegar.
Speaker 3: Warmth is something different.
Speaker 2: Warmth is a is a feeling that needs no words, that they just all of.
Speaker 3: A sudden, your shoulders relax. If I were.
Speaker 2: To ask you, what's some in your past where you just you have to like? For me, I can go back to being in my grandparents' living room and I can feel the texture of the couch and I can't smell it, and I just know when my grandmother came in, she just put me at ease. Right, I just hey, baby, come here, come here, darling, like you're just you're good. And there's certain people in your life that whenever the world's really reactive, they they stay just steady. And you look, we're always looking for these anchors in personalities that when the ship's rocking, don't you don't want to go for the person who's really reactive. You're looking for the person who's really steady. And when they can bring that warmth that is it's just a glow about them that you go, I don't I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about their personality that says I'm safe, I'm welcome, and I'm enough. And when you find that person in your life, you cling to them because we know what it's like on the opposite, when there's that person that whenever you're around your anxiety spikes, you feel more. Everything just feels off kilter and you feel emotionally reactive.
Speaker 3: It's the people.
Speaker 2: That decide that they want to spend the time with you, and usually they're a lot slower and the way they enunciate, yeah, yeah, that's the cue.
Speaker 1: By the way, that's so interesting. I had an instant parenting thought when you said that, because there was one day My daughter Haley will never hear this, so what do I care? So she was throwing things in the trash that mattered to me. It was one of those days where she was in some kind of defiance. So there was a poem that I loved. She took it, dropped in the track, and I sat on the couch and I was calm, okay. Then she took my computer and put it in a trash can. I called. I sat there. It was like I was thinking about people who used to sit at lunch counters, not to compare, but quiet resistance. I'm like, I'm gonna be the eye of the hurricane right here. I'm gonna be hotally camped. And after about ten minutes, she pulled everything out. She came over on the couch, she sat with me, and she's cuddled with me and said, oh, you know, I'm sorry, and then explained whatever was bothering her at the time. But do you use this in parenting because you have a six and eight year old? Yeah, and I know that that must be one of the things that helps.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's always knowing that for the most part, we're just big kids. And so like my daughter this morning, we're under a huge jet lag. My daughter is just in tears this morning, and there's no anything that she would typically like to eat.
Speaker 3: Besides, she now hates right and.
Speaker 2: She's short tempered, super whiny, and just like you, we could have come in and said you have to fall under what I say is acceptable and not acceptable. But with the children, it's the same when they were a baby. You know, when they're screaming, it's like you're not going to get mad that they're crying. It's you go, Okay, I see that they're hungry, they're tired, just those two right there, Yes, they're they're they're overwhelmed by something. It's the same for for us, and so it helps me so much and especially in my kids.
Speaker 3: I see so much of myself.
Speaker 2: In them that not only had me more getting more compassion for myself because it's like, why would I would I talk to my kids the same way I talk to myself, you know sometimes, And so that that does checks and balances of knowing that when she was starting complain and she didn't want the cereal bar that she loves, I was like, you need me to hold you? Yes, you know, I of course I'm holding her?
Speaker 3: Are we just sleepy?
Speaker 2: It's like that, right there is all they really need. And I think deep down a lot of times that's it really is. All it comes comes down comes down to it is we're still we're still looking for dealing with those basic needs.
Speaker 1: I think all the stuff you talk about when it comes to communication is so important because relationships fall apart because of bad communication. Work, relationships go sideways because of bad communication. I mean, you can and you think they understand you. You thought you communicated it, didn't you understand what I was saying when I said X? But will you talk to that point? Because I think some people have trouble being completely clear. They assume the man they're with should understand their feelings or the boss that they're dealing with, you know, should kind of get a B or C.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's this quote that I love that it says the number one problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 2: I think that is just gold because most of the time, the biggest cause of miscommunication is what was said was not the thing that was heard. Okay, like I said this, because you know what it's like in relationships, or somebody replies back to you and they go, that's not what I said, and you're like, yeah, that's exactly what you said.
Speaker 3: I wish I had it on camera.
Speaker 2: I wish I had this recorded so you could see exactly how you said it.
Speaker 3: And the truth is we are very bad.
Speaker 2: Subjective, you know, judges of how we say things. We hear it in our head, but we're not great at also accepting how it is.
Speaker 3: To receive it.
Speaker 2: Communication is not just something said, it is it also has to be received. And when you continue to give voice to only the unvoiced expectations and expect people to read between the lines, you were just setting yourself up for disappointment. Instead of saying, that's not what I said. Turn that into tell me, tell me what you heard, and tell me tell me what, tell me what you heard?
Speaker 3: What what am I missing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you stop to say, okay, there's a disconnect here, let's talk about the disconnect instead of me telling you how yeah numb you are, how much you don't care, how this is always you and you never listen. Instead of going towards the person, you say, okay, well, there must be a disconnect here.
Speaker 3: Help me.
Speaker 2: Let's stop and let's break it down. And though that sounds really simple to say, let's time out and let's talk about the process of how the communication is happening, rather than talking about the content of the communication. It sounds simple, but it is. It is everything. When you're able to break down and find where's the than not in the stream.
Speaker 1: By the way, when you just said the thing about hey, wait, tell me what you heard, my shoulders literally dropped down because we've all been in the wait what but difficult conversations, all of them. I mean, I don't know how many you've had in your lifetime. I've had a bunch too, where you have to have this conversation. But sometimes there's a philosophy at least it wasn't our family growing up? Is it will die on the vine eventually, so let it go. And you know, why are we going to rock the boat? Everything is fine? You know, in the course of all the problems, this one ain't so big, So we don't need to hash it out right. I think a lot of people just dust things away. Why is it important to have these kind of conversations and when do they reach the level of, oh god, we have to have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely something that is generational. I would say, I feel like here and now, in the times that we live in, communication is more talked about than it's ever been. Is that there's still that you know, hush, let's keep it under wraps. What would the neighbors think. We can't let people know, you know, how we really really are, or we don't want to bring it up.
Speaker 3: We don't want to ruin the moment.
Speaker 2: And we're all here together at this family thing because this grandparent is still alive, and we know once they're gone, we're all, you know, going our separate way. When when you have all these unvoiced things and you bury them, they are only sure to resurface years because we know what that's like of parent relationships, especially that it's there are people listening right now who don't probably communicate with their mom or their dad anymore because of all the things that was that were left unsaid like that, that misalignment in relationships, that miscommunication, that estrangement. It doesn't happen, and one fell sweep like one big conversation usually happens because all of these little bitty paper cut conversations where a conversation could have happened, but it didn't. And so when you leave it unvoiced, those things grow. So how do you know when to bring something up to me? It's always the next day rule. If I'm still carrying it the next day. If I'm still carrying it the next day, time has a way of sifting priorities. And so if something's bothering me right now, it may not bother me in the morning. But if I wake up and I'm still carrying it and it's still heavy on my heart, it's something that needs to be needs to be voiced. And when you can say, hey, I need to tell you something that's been heavy on my heart, people listen when you say I need to tell you something that's been tugging on my heart. There's something about when you invoke the heart's difference between hold and me asking and saying, hey, how are you doing and me or me asking hey, ho to how's your heart right, there's something about you're not going to get the same answer, And so whenever you invoke the heart, I think that has a way of getting right to the point of the conversation rather than sweep in it under the rug.
Speaker 1: So if when you said that, there are people who haven't spoken to their parents, their mom, their dad, they're sibling, somebody, a best friend from years gone by. How if that's the case and it's been a freeze out for you know, a while, how do you go about repairing If it's on your heart, which I'm sure it is. When people wake up and it's a birthday or it's whatever day, how do you even start the conversation of the process of thawing that.
Speaker 3: I like the word aw.
Speaker 2: I like to follow this approach that I teach, and it's one beginning with the words I know. It sounds like I know there's distance between us. I know we haven't spoken in a while. I know things aren't how we both want them to be, right, it's it's it's saying the already understated. You know it's all we already both know. We don't have to voice it. It's unspoken. Two is I'm not this is where you address, you forecast what they're already thinking about the conversation, the rebuttal, So it would be you know, I know there's a distance between us. I'm not asking you to apologize. I'm not bringing things, rehash old wounds. I'm not trying to It is I'm not your addressing that. And three is I'm ready, And it's not I'm ready to talk, because nobody probably wants to hear you talk.
Speaker 3: It's I'm ready to listen, right, Oh, I'm ready to listen.
Speaker 2: It's not i'm ready to talk. I'm ready to listen. And there's something about somebody saying I'm ready to listen makes them want to lean into it more because now you're an empty cup, right Instead of saying, hey, I have a full glass and I'm ready to splash it on you whenever you're ready, it's it's it's me saying, hey, I am I'm an empty vessel right now. I know things are not where we want them to be, and I am. I'm not at all interested in trying to rehash the past. I'm ready to listen whenever, whenever you are. And so there's something about that that incorporates that element of I can affirm how you feel without having to agree with it, and that must be hard. I can see why you feel that way. If that's how you interpreted it, of course you you would think that I am everything that you say that I am right now. And there's something about the contrasts that's going to make that conversation, you know, I have a better chance of coming to life.
Speaker 1: Would you have that convo in person or on the phone or does it? Does it matter?
Speaker 2: Ideally you want in person. There's nothing like seeing somebody face to face. There's there's nothing that can ever replace that. You know, face to face is the most high emotion medium that you have. Text is the lowest. You know, emails the lowest. I could tell you. If you ask me a question by text HODA and I just said okay, you'd be like, well, what kind of okay is that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Does he mad? Is he not? Is he think it's dumb? Yeah? You never know. Phone is also great.
Speaker 2: Some people don't give that chance because the other person just kind of ices them out. I think the voice texts are really good. Voice fails are good anything that they can hear your tone of your voice if you put it in words. Most often, unless it's a handwritten letter, which I think adds to that emotion character that is unique to you. But if it's something that is not unique, unique, such as text or email, then they will read they'll interpret your emotions for you, and it's never positive.
Speaker 3: They'll read it in the worst light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking about this guy I was interviewing, and he said something about he goes, think of someone who you wanted to say thank you to, who you just haven't for whatever reason. He goes, I write them a letter, you know, and describe all the ways that you wanted to thank them. And then he said, and then I want to see you walk up to the door and ring the doorbell and read it, just read it right to them. And I was just imagining the feeling of someone walking up who you know, and it's like words unspoken, because we all carry sort of words unspoken. But I think back to the kind of difficult conversations, you know, I always weirdly feel better after one. I hate them when they're happening, You're like, this is the worst. My heart is pounding, I'm sweating, Like I just feel so bad. But what have you learned or what have I mean? With all the people you've you've been dealing with over time? What happens after you finally say whatever the thing is you've wanted to say for so long but have been holding on to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the moment the difficult conversation is over. If you handle it well with that exception, if you approach it with wanting to understand more than trying to prove, if you approach it in a way that's soft, softer, not just in demeanor but also in tone. I'm not saying you can't be assertive. Let's say you handle exactly how you want it to be. What I have found time and time again that the conflict they were so scared of was the very breakthrough that they were missing, that they were needing the most. And when you can't have that conversation with that brother you haven't seen in three years, or you can have that conversation with that supervisor or that difficult thing, you know you need to say to that spouse and you reach it and you're able to actually come together through that conflict because now you've now you've been through something, you've created trust. It's it's a weight off your shoulders. All of a sudden, you feel like you life looks better, right, relationships are better. I am somebody that truly believes that if you want to heal your relationships, it starts with the next conversation. I mean, you have you have that ability and how we communicate. And I rarely, if ever, whenever somebody has told me say, yeah, I tried it but it made it worse, it was usually not on their account. It was because the other person, you know, wasn't wasn't runny. And you can't control all of that.
Speaker 1: What if it's a street, I mean, you know some people are with spouses who are just setting their ways.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like someone was saying to me, like every few years you should reintroduce yourself to your spouse. Like I don't like Applebee's anymore. You see love it, and I don't eat there. I don't want to go sit in that same restaurant, but you always liked it, But you always like a jean jacket. It's like, I don't like a jean jacket. But if you know, if if you get to a point where your spouse is like, kind of, this is our relationship and this is life. You know, this is what, this is the way this and they're not open to this kind of discussion. What is a person to do? Because I have friends who are in that category. Their spouses don't really want to hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think there's a there's the key issue. It's whether they want to where they want.
Speaker 3: To hear it.
Speaker 2: It's hard to be in a relationship where you're the only one rowing you know, where you feel like you're your shoulders are just and there's probably people we both know their shoulders are getting a little tired. And there has to be to me two things. One is the ability to think outside of yourself, meaning to be able to repair when conflict and ruptures happen. And the second of all, you have to be able to take accountability. I think that's one of the biggest issues in relationships, is where one person refuses to take accountability, so patterns just continue to continue to repeat. I can choose to have a very difficult conversation with you, Oda, and you may completely disagree, that's still something that within myself I still had that same amount of relief because I said it. I chose to say what I needed to say. And at some point there has to be which conversation am I going to take more? Which one ranks higher and priority the relationship and conversation I'm having with myself and who I am, or the conversation I have to have with you, And if I always have the conversation with you taking priority over the conversation with me, well, then I will always make sure that I'm not okay unless you're okay.
Speaker 3: Right. It's that's a much.
Speaker 2: More insecure way to approach it. I have my grandparents to do this thing where they have a yearly contract that they actually write out. Now it's not like enforceable or anything, but so they at their anniversary, they'll how they have like written things, you know, like who's gonna who's gonna handle the trash, who's gonna you know, this is how many times we're going to go on a date night, this is who's going to be responsible for this? And it's it's in humor, it's in fun of just how you said you're not always married to the same person. I mean, you can be married to the same human, but sometimes not always the same person. There were always changing and growing, and so they kind of do this thing. My grandfather will say, you sure, you.
Speaker 3: Want to go another round?
Speaker 2: And you know they made that, they'll sign it and kind of keep it.
Speaker 1: That's got to catch. I mean, sorry, that has got to catch. It's super cute. Let me ask you about conversations that have always been hard for me up until I think. I mean, I hate to say this, but like my mid fifties, I'm sixty one right now, my mid fifties, So all through my professional career, I have said thank you. I was hired at, you know, at my very first job, and I was making more working at Ponderosa, and I was happy to take the job because it was like, you know, it's like more of an education. But as it went through all these different jobs throughout, I knew I was underpaid with my co anchor, I was underpaid here and there. I was hired at Dateline and I was the lowest paid correspondent. I was making less than I did when I was in Local, but I wanted that job and every and this continued on and on and on, and when you start behind the eight ball, it takes a while to get to it. And I remembered once saying to my agents they said, well, this is all they're going to be paying. I go, I don't love it enough, so you know, ask for this number or we're not doing it. And it was when I finally got some moxie and the agent said, you know they're going to say no. I go, okay, Well you can ask. So she asked, and she said, oh my god, they said yes. I was like, okay. So the next time I knew where the bar was and it went on. But the conversation of this is what I'm worth, this is what I believe I bring to the table was extremely hard for me because I always felt lucky to be at the network, lucky to be here, sort of like wow. I was having pinch me moments up until the moment I left, like wow, how does this happen? So those kinds of conversations, whether you're in a room with your bosses, you're asking for a raise, you need, what X, whatever it is, how how to start those and how to have the confidence because you can say the words and not believe it and look like a scared you know, deer, and they're not gonna they're going to say come back later, not right now. It's not a good time, you know, those.
Speaker 3: Less awesome question.
Speaker 2: I think that whenever, especially you are let's say you've put in the work to establish yourself, whether in your resume or you're you know that you're going to be starting from somewhere, and eventually you've gotten too a place where you feel like, Okay, I got a lot under my wings here, and here's what I know. I feel like I am worth compared to what everybody else is doing. What I have found for those that I have guided through a lot of these situations is where you talk about the role more so of.
Speaker 3: Ego.
Speaker 2: Let's say you're wanting to hire somebody and you can either start talking about them as a person, or what I like to say is start talking about the role.
Speaker 3: So we have an.
Speaker 2: Assistance manager position, and this manager position is going to require this and this, and I'd love for that person to be you, and whoever's going to be in that role is going to need to do X, Y and Z. Now it works the same way, and here's The magic of it that I've seen is when I've seen people interview or have these discussions with their supervisors and say, whatever position, let's say they're trying to get into it. Now, this assistant manager's position that I'm going for, or whoever this slot is, or whoever I choose to work for, I need to see it's going to require X, Y and z from what I'm bringing to the table line. I know my value without having to go into it, because you already have my resume and all the RECs. Whatever that is is going to require X, Y and Z. And when you come into the conversation with requirements, people respect you more than if you have none. So when you come in with a level of I'm not talking like you know swagger, where you're saying.
Speaker 3: This is, this is, this is what I have to have.
Speaker 2: And this is what it's going to be, and you need to walk away. There's something about requirements that say, when I come into this, it's going to require this much of my time, this amount amount of money, this position. If I am too, if I'm going to I would hope that it would be this organization a right, whoever I work for, whoever I work for this role I'm going to fill is going to be X, Y and Z for me to fill it. I would love for that organization to be me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's a good flip exactly.
Speaker 2: And so it makes them think, oh wow, Okay, one, this person has confidence. One second, I know they've definitely believe in themselves. And if they believe in themselves and makes me believe in them, yeah, and then three man, I don't want them to go off to somebody else. Yeah, And so they they tend to get to the yesses more quickly than if you come in and you know, well, I really hope it would be really nice. If no, you need to you need to come in with I know what I'm worth, I know what I've done. Yeah, And I'd hope that this would be the organization.
Speaker 3: If not, you know, I have some other stuff talking to too.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's okay, Oh I like that. What about because and this is kind of in the same vein, but being heard in a meeting, being heard when you are somebody who's you know, it's a big group setting and you and a lot of women who are listening to this I'm sure have heard this have had this feeling is you're saying something and it's you know, your voice is softer, whatever, you don't get sick, and then they call on the other guy who's next to you, or you say something and someone else repeats it, and then they're like, great job Bill. Yeah, like I just said that literally one second ago. But how do you cut through as how do you cut through in a in a meeting so that you can feel confident enough to state what you want to state and you know, make sure that you're heard.
Speaker 2: So first would be you want to grab attention, so what that is you grab in the mic? The second of all, you want to add curiosity to make them want to listen. And three, once you have that attention and that curiosity, then you need to lead with authority. So this would to me is what it would sound like. You get people's intention when you use their name in a very steady tone, not like as if you're asking permission. Like if I were to ask you, you know, can you pass assault HODA? I wouldn't ask you like can you pass the salt? Like as if you don't know what it is? Like you you have to say it in a tone because there's some people, let's say I needed to interrupt you and you're talking in a meeting or there's a there's a chance for me to communicate, And I was like, Hoda, Like people will be like huh as if you're more insecure, but like, Hoda, right, second, all is you need to add contrast by that, I want you to say I see something different, or I take another approach, or I get there a different way, and people go, oh, okay, what is what is what is that exactly? Because if I just led with you know, you know what, I have a I have a thought here, they're like another thought, like, that's that's not going to do anything.
Speaker 3: We all have thoughts.
Speaker 2: I need to hear that you have something that's going to move the conversation, the discussion forward. Once you have that three, anything you can use around the word direction. Direction is a great captain word. And so when I can say, you know, Hoda, I you know what, I get there a different way to me, I see the direction of.
Speaker 3: What we can do is blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And so what you're saying is, hey, if while I have the wheel of the ship, this is the direction that I would take. And at that moment, it allows people to go, okay, do we want to follow that direction and take it there or do we want to continue to open the discussion, but it's going to keep it prevent it from somebody just going okay, that.
Speaker 3: Was that was dumb. Let's let's move that aside. Another that I really love.
Speaker 2: A quick little tip that I teach is if you can use percentages. There's something about percentages or maybe depending on the context you're in, maybe like an analogy. So for example, if you come in and say, hey, I have an idea, most people will shoot it down because it's not their idea, right, so they want to they want to point out all the holes in it rather than do an awesome job. But if you come in and say, hey, look, I have about sixty five percent of an idea here, I need your help with the other thirty five, people all of a sudden go oh okay, let's you know. The type is that, yeah, they want to go over the thirty five percent because now there they see that as the challenge to meet.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting. Yeah. Or if you say, look, I think I'm in the red zone.
Speaker 2: I need I need help kind of pushing it into the end zone here, there's something about using analogies that say I need your help rather than saying, you know what, I don't really know here.
Speaker 3: You know, I could totally be wrong. Get rid of it.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, you want to you want to push the conversation forward.
Speaker 1: Oh, speaking of that language, I was meeting with this CEO coach because I'm I run this company now called Joy one oh one, and I haven't you know, I've worked in capacities of leadership, but never as a boss or a CEO. So this guy gave me some advice, which sounds kind of like what you were just saying. We were having a conversation and I was like, he was like, tell me about this, that and the other. What's what's good, what's upsetting? What's this?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, So I started. I was like, I was kind of upset about X and I was sort of have a why, and I was a little bit pissed by it. And so after I was telling him this whole thing, he goes, stop. I go, but he goes, you were kinda pissed. I go, yeah, he goes, no, No, you were pissed, It's okay, you were sort of upset. Yeah, you were upset, and he said, start pulling out those words. He goes in your language, don't he goes, don't stop dead and go oh god, there it is again. He was just recognized, Oh there it is. Oh there goes. And then I started looking through This is so funny, Jefferson. I was looking through my old text texts. I was like, oh my god, Hey, it was like if I pulled out all those words and I saw afterwards, it's so like, it's so much clearer, A you know, what direction I were going is clear when I take out all of that. Hey, I was wondering if a bubba. But when you're finished with this and don't worry if you know. And then by the time you're done, they're like, is that a priority or not? The person receiving it like, I don't get it. But words like that do right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes a million times yes, especially the the adverbs, the words that end in l y uh. So many people will begin their sentence, you know, it's their time to talk in the meeting, and they go so basically, uh that it's it's you've already cut yourself down.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Why do we hate that? Why is that a no?
Speaker 2: It's it slows down the pros. Yeah, it's not it's not needed if I say, well, clearly, well, if it was clear, you wouldn't need that word.
Speaker 3: If it was well obviously, well it was obvious, you wouldn't have to state it.
Speaker 2: And so when we think of the l y words or the other adverbs like just like so very really, why can't you just be happy for them? Why do you have to say I'm so happy for it's there's something about the filling it with fluff. So imagine if I wanted to come in and said, you know, hey, just just wanted to check on you, just just saying hi. Instead of that, I said, I leaned into it and said, hey, I wanted to say hi to you, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Like it's something about stepping into the language rather than way.
Speaker 2: And to me, I compare it to adding ice cubes to your your drink. They're like, you know, well, you know, I'm sort of I'm kinda you know, I'm not really, Yeah, you're you're filling your senence. You're watering down your message to me. You got you just you don't need them. Get rid of them, Serve your words, rid of them, Yes, serve you serve your words.
Speaker 1: Neat is that one of your t shirts?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, with a little bourbon cup, we could see the whole thing. It's it's all I love that. I love that. You know, there are certain people for me who are like energizing too, like I when I'm around that, my cup fills up too. And there are certain people who are you they're sort of depleting. You know, that's just when you're done, you hang up the phone. We've all had the person you hang up and you go, oh my god, like you don't just but this always brings up boundaries because sometimes you gotta you know, you gotta have conversations, maybe not all of them you want to, but talk if you would, about what's eight Like I like to call them loving boundaries, but putting boundaries up so that the world and people don't kind of drain your battery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, boundaries. I mean there's something that you cannot do without, especially in conversation, whether it's something that's a very loving relationship to your you know, in the in the office and you're having to make it very clear where you stand on things. How I like to talk about boundaries is a very simple formula because it can get really there's so much on boundaries.
Speaker 3: That's easy to get lost.
Speaker 2: To me, it is simply putting the boundary in place of me, I beginning with the word I, So instead of you you can't talk to me that way, instead of that which is only ensuring that they have all the control. Instead, I'm going to say, I don't respond to that tone. I don't respond to disrespect. When somebody raises their voice, I don't respond to that volume. Right, it has nothing to do with them, has everything to do with me. As if my own operator's manual. If you want to communicate with me, this is this is the yeses and the nose. If if it's a no, then we're not going to communicate that way. That's that's how that's going to go. So it would be you know, I don't respond to disrespect if you continue to speak to me in this manner or in this way. And third is this is the end of the conversation. That's how I like to put it, because when you say the end of the conversation, what happens is if they want to talk and continue the conversation, then it is incumbent on them to change the attitude and so whenever, even with my kids, and I do it very lovingly and I'll say, look, I'm not going to respond to that rude answer. Okay, if if you want me to come play with you, if you if you don't change, I'll say, if you don't change how you're talking to me, then I'm not gonna be able to come play with you right now.
Speaker 3: And I mean just all of a sudden, they change it right into.
Speaker 4: The that that that mood or whatever it is, and it goes all the way elevated to plenty of times I've been on the phone, like I know, it's like to hang up the phone go oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah with that that.
Speaker 2: Person, and it's like, hey, look, I don't respond being spoken to that way. If this is the way that you want to handle things, and this needs to be the end of the conversation. And the best thing about it is if you're going to have that consequence, you are going to hang up. You can't you don't just click, you know, you don't just hang up, right, That's that's not the assertive way to do it.
Speaker 3: You need to speak it out loud.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm going to end the conversation or I'm gonna I'm going to leave the room now, I'm going to get out of the car.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: There's something about calling your shot you're in a game of pool that says what I say, I'm going to do, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To to do.
Speaker 2: It's you know, it's it's like it's calling calling backboard, you know, and you when you make a shot.
Speaker 1: That's so good. This is good. So I was just as you were talking, it was just not that I was. I was thinking about how your life must have changed since all of this has happened to you. Just how weird is it? Like what is happening with your life now that people probably recognize you and say, like, what is life like for you?
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a lot of it's trying to get settled, Hoda. I mean it it is weird.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It is weird to to imagine making videos only in your car for you know, a year and a half and not seeing any human and then yeah, it's it's a whole it's a whole thing that I've I've learned that as soon as you get a taste of fame, you got to spit it out like it's not it's it's it's not great for I've I've learned the mistakes of trying to think that you have to say yes to everything because you never know if it's going to stop, and like when is the ride going to stop when?
Speaker 3: And at this point I've.
Speaker 2: I've learned how to say no and find out here this is what I've learned how to is what I used to do was I would think in my mind that what's best for the business is best for the family. And I have learned through pain and hardship and learned it the hard way. A flip you have to flip it of what's best for the family is what's best for the business. And so trying to figure out this whole world that I'm in, and I know you and I have mutual friends in this space of how do you do this? I mean, there's no I went to law school where I studied how to be an attorney, and then I'm in this world where I never even thought this was an occupation when it existed. And so even if my future self came and warned me, I don't think I wouldn't be able to believe them, because there's not like a blog that says, Hey, your whole life blew up online. Here's what to do, what to do right, it seems. Yeah, And the biggest thing is knowing and telling people of I make plenty of mistakes. Yeah, my thing is not at all. I can't tell you how to be perfect. I can tell you how to fix it when it doesn't because I've done it myself.
Speaker 1: Well. You know what's so interesting because when there is any public facing life, or I shouldn't even say public facing, anyone who's got an all consuming career or busy career life, and this happens. Happened to me a lot, which is one of the reasons why I decided to step away when my kids were at the age that they are, which is now seven and nine. Is that from the morning, from the beginning of the day three thirty am until probably four pm when you end up coming home, which is around dinner time for them, for thirty five you've given every ounce of stuff you had away all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was even saying, you know, Ben Sass was talking about this in one of his interviews the Congressman. He said, I used to think it was like a badge of Bonnat'll have a whole bunch of hotel keys to show all the places I've been. I would save him and save them and save them. Where he was giving all of his time and effort, which was to work, and I felt the same to work. And then when you come home and your kids like hey, you're like hi, You're already barely functioning and you got nothing left in the tank. So this doesn't have to do with anyone who's in a form, you know, a job that is public facing or not. It's any job or anything. When you're at a juice at the end of the day, So what's what do you do? I guess you just it's just a matter of just shifting the whole game.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like I said, I learned the hard way after the book launched last year in March, in the reception, and like it was just you know, I took time off last July and August to fix myself because anytime you're more public facing, in my view, it boosts all the good and it also boosts all the bad. And so whatever was a bad habit then becomes a much bigger bad. Like everything incrementally is harder. The good is really good and the bad's really bad, and so you have to you have to be able to learn how to manage and work on that because to me, what you said is exactly spot on. That's it answers the question of who's who's getting the best of me? And is it everybody that's online, you know on social media, or who you're speaking to, or is it you know, your family or your kids who's getting the best version?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Why in the world would I ever give kids the second best version.
Speaker 3: Myself?
Speaker 1: And so you had to do a realignment.
Speaker 3: Yes, to do a total realignment, And I think.
Speaker 1: Anyone can do some like I get it because I feel like, you know, I always think this about Olympic athletes, like you can't be great at something and be balanced. Someone Biles and Michael Phelps weren't worrying about balance. They were just worrying about being really, really good, and they were. And then in life, you know, when things start to then things shift and you can you know, now Michael Phelps has other things and someone bials the same. But it's hard to be great and have all the things that you want. And I think sometimes people choose, and I think, you know, many many times people will choose the workpiece, because the workpiece is giving them the money for the vacations, and the workpiece is giving them all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very like cats in the cradle kind of thing. I think.
Speaker 2: I think I do understand and appreciate how when you're in the grind and you you you feel like.
Speaker 3: Who am I?
Speaker 2: If I am not this or what I've always dreamed I could be or what this has been my one ambition? And I forgot who said it, but it was it was like the study that we're very bad at predicting how we're going to feel after something, and so for good or bad. So if we think we're going to get that Olympic medal or that promotion and we get it, we kind of don't feel as good as we thought we would. And then also for the bad one, it's like, oh, no, this could never happen. If my marriage fails, if if I ever get fired, it'd be worse. And then it happens and you're like, this wasn't that bad?
Speaker 1: You know, it's that's actually such that's so smart.
Speaker 2: And so we're all we're just not good predictors of certain events in our.
Speaker 3: In our life. And so for me, I have to go I could.
Speaker 2: Am I inconveniencing my family for my comfort and my ego? Am I inconveniencing somebody else? Am I putting? You know, there's certain things of like there might be somebody listening right now and they go, Okay, well, I really want to go do this, and I feel like I need to ask, you know, put my other person, my partner, in the position of like, hey, can I go do this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you know you're you should have never even put them in that position to have to say yes, Like you should have just chosen the family yes. And that takes that takes time, yes, and and and diligence. And so I can tell you it's it's been such a blessing. I would to be able to touch the people we've been able to touch.
Speaker 3: It's it's just a never ending feeling.
Speaker 1: I am so happy for your success. I'm so happy for all the things that you're creating in your putting good out in the world. And I always feel like we have one ride around the sun, might as well put good stuff out into it. I heard you with Thomas RhD. I love Thomas so much on your podcast, so I encourage everyone to listen to Jefferson's podcast. I heard you on the Diary of a CEO. I saw you with Mel Robbins. I mean, people now after saying this, are going to be like, oh my god. I see Jefferson everywhere just like me. So I just want to end with one final question before you head off. This podcast is called Joy one oh one, so I like to ask all my guests about what is bringing them joy. I know you just got off a bender a flight from Australia, so probably sleep would be up there. But but what's bringing you joy these days?
Speaker 3: What's bringing me joy is knowing that.
Speaker 2: My kids, it's just my kids, to be able to say no to things and say yes to them, and my wife and to like we we did the strip in Australia, and I did it so much differently from the time that we traveled and did London, and I was so focused on publicity and press and do and I just we did it so differently where I just got any dad and be pressed and and my phone is full how full of pictures and videos and it's just the biggest joy that I can't It's hard for me not to look at one of my kids and just tear up, and that's that feeling of knowing that it could have been different, and I could have cared, you know, about a whole different path. But to me, it's just it's it's bringing this into a moment of so much your joy, of of of peace. It's it's it's been, it's been wonderful, and truly I look forward to to would love to you for you to be a mentor to me of how how to how to deal with that eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you seem to be doing a pretty pretty good job, Telsey or I said, hello, and your kids too. Okay, all right, thank you Jefferson. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks Forded.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was a beautiful conversation. I love Jefferson so much. I feel like we're friends already. One thing that I'm kind of learning is how to slow down, how to like not rush through life, how to not rush through important conversations like Jefferson was saying, just how to slow down and observe so on our joy one oh one. App you guys, I was listening to this incredible woman who for just two or three minutes showed me how to slow down. Her name is Anna Katsis and She lives in Greece and she works with us at Joy one oh one. But what she does is she just captures life small moments. So sit back for a second, take deep breath first, and let's listen to Anna Katsis.
Speaker 5: This is the story of someone who has learned to notice. I used to feel that life moved by too quickly, and I realized it was up to me to slow it down, to create time to pause. I started by noticing small things, like the way the leaves look when the sunlight hits them, the golden color that washes over when the sun rises, how the birds sound as the world wakes up. I started to notice things in my routine, like how much I love starting my day with a warm cup of tea using herbs from the garden and boiling it in the kettle, adding honey that a beekeeper made not too far from my village, and sipping it slowly while gazing out the window, imagining what the day could hold. I noticed how beautiful it is to sit and watch my curtains gently flowing in the breeze. How happy I am to see my cat every day when I opened the doors to feed him, the way he follows me to his bowl. How calming it is to pet him and just observe what he does the way he also observes me as I tend to the garden to water it. The more I slowed down, the more I noticed, and I realized how much beauty lies in everyday life, in the ordinary. And so if there's one thing I recommend, it's to take a moment to pause and look around you, because that's when the magic happens. That's when the ordinary becomes extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Beautiful words of wisdom. Hope you enjoyed. Thank you for listening to Joy when I won the podcast