Speaker 1: What's adding, what's haddening? What's happening?
Speaker 2: Is your boy Big Steve with another episode against the Chronicles podcast today. My guy MC eight is out, but I am here with legendary DJ scream. You know what I'm saying for I asking applause and all that. I'll be hitting at applause. But right now, what's adding with you?
Speaker 1: What's so? What's up? My brother honor to be here with you. Salute the mcator as well the whole Gangster Chronicles fans salute.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure, for sure, man, You know what.
Speaker 2: It was one question I've been wanting to ask you, man, and I was saving this because me and you talk all the time.
Speaker 3: Is tr really the king of the South?
Speaker 1: Well, when you let's let's say this, when he first said he was the king of the South, if there were people who didn't believe or opposed it, or wanted to debate it, I think I think he did a damn good job of of of making that case. If you understand it said, you know what I mean, And I think, honestly, man, for me my honest opinion, Yeah, t I is the King of the South. Lil Wayne is the King of the South. Jesus the King of the South. Goude, She's the King of the South, futures the King of the South. I feel like it changes, it goes you know what I'm saying. I feel like you do have an actual king who was crowned, and at that time it's kind of like, Okay, this is the person who who was uplifting the South and holding the South up. You do know what I'm saying. But obviously as time goes on, you know, it changes. The movies, it moves from this artist and that artist, and this artist and that artist, whether it be Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, somebody can say right now, Gorilla the King of the Queen of us out or something like that. You know what I'm saying. So I feel like I understood when Tip was saying King of the South. Is like when Wayne was saying best Rapperlive. There was a time where I said number one DJ in the South. It ain't to not know or whatever, but we all compete to be number one. We should, you know what I'm saying. That's how we all go to and that's how we get the coach of going. So we should all be competing to be number one and put our best foot forward. So, man, the best way I can answer that is, like I said, he made a damn good case.
Speaker 3: Oh, he for sure did.
Speaker 2: Now you know one person man like I feel the same way about Snoop. Snoop is always gonna be like kind of like the king of the coast. But you got Kender Lamar right now, He's he's the king at the moment. You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You can make the.
Speaker 3: Case for Eve forty two up in the Bay.
Speaker 2: You feel what I'm saying, because didn't dudes represent the West Coast on a high level?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: For sure on a high level. Now do you think hip hop? You being the DJ, do you think hip hop is going back to being a regional thing or was it always a regional thing?
Speaker 1: That's a great question, man, hip hop it's like too universal to beat region. No. But what I do think is that the South had a lot of influence and there was a time where I couldn't. I'm hearing records from all over the country and they all sound like Atlanta records, you know what I'm saying. So even in the West Coast, everything, I'm like, Yo, this sounds like Atlanta music. I personally like my West Coast music to sound the West Coast. I personally like my East Coast music to sound East Coast. They can have a little influence in there, for sure, but I personally want to hear that vibe, you know, to see what I'm saying. I think we are getting back to if you look at what Mustard and Kendrick did with that with the with the Not Like Us record, look at Mustard and Kendrick. If you look at our rest of soul, like how Nipsey Hustles sound and everything like that, it just felt real, La, you did what I'm saying. And if you start to look at some of the other people, even the Cash Cash combain the baselag ship, like you know what I'm saying, he got his life, that is like a drill vibe to it. But it's it's New York, you understand I'm saying. So I think that I think that it's kind of getting back to that balance, not necessarily just regional, but there's that balance of Okay, Detroit Niggas sound like Detroit niggas, and I love it. You know that Detroit sound when they dropped Okay this on Detroit exactly. I like that. It's just like I don't come all the way to LA to eat Atlanta food. You know what I'm saying, You eat food in Atlanta. I ain't going all the way to Shottown or or wherever. I ain't going all the way overseas to eat Atlanta food. So I like it when you know, every city, every section just really represent their culture. And you know what I'm saying, manifest their culture through that music.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I treat that too, man. Atlanta came on so strong, and like you said, man, the South dominance is not going nowhere, Bro, It's not going nowhere no time soon.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 2: First of all, when you talk about the South, I'm reasonally from the Midwest. I'm reasonally from Cleveland. But I've been in California since eighty eight, right, so I've actually been California longer than I was in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Right. But the South, and I.
Speaker 2: Remember when it first started kind of like making this way. I remember him in the Ghetto Boys, right, you know, the Ghetto Boys, two Live Crew and those records always was pretty big on the West coast. They you know, developed the following out here. The West Coast always kind of rolled with the South. Right, the Midwest listens to almost nothing but the South. I think in a lot of way. When you in Oklahoma, Cleveland, they look at that because we all got faumidly in Mississippi. When I was a kid. I remember we used to drive from Cleveland to Mississippi every summer. I was born on infant two or three weeks. Right, we was always in the South when to visit, you know uncle. So I think we just have a kinmanship with the South man.
Speaker 1: It's just not whoever go nowhere. Nobody was ever mad like me.
Speaker 2: I'm like you, I want my New York music to sound like New York music, right, I want my West Coast hip hop to sound like West Coast hip hop. But I'm not mad at these younger cats that was influenced by the Gucci Man's plus by the rich you know recipes, Rich Homie Kwan's, you know, because I really more than anybody with the melody stuff Rich Homi Kwan a Future.
Speaker 1: They just kind of made it the way. You know.
Speaker 2: They were so impactful with what they did. Because when Future first hit man, he hit real.
Speaker 1: Hard out here. I would I would like.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you man, that futures audience is just as big on California as it is.
Speaker 4: I can believe it. I can believe it. You feel what I'm saying. And I remember when Gucci Man was really doing his thing. I got a homeboy Pun Shut, you know, shout out to the home with ace boy Pun. Pun was always a real big Gucci Man fan. And actually I always knew about Gucci Man, but he kind of forced it on me. He was like, no, you need to listen to Gucci Man. You need to listen to Gucci Man and Pun. You know, Pundu Pun.
Speaker 3: Is doing his thing.
Speaker 2: You know, Pun managed a whole bunch of people, high powered people. Man, he got the back on FIG podcasts. They doing some you know, incredible things over this shout out to the homies. But this younger generation is just West Coast cast man. They was raised on the South Man, So you can't be mad at them kind of emulating with what, you know, what they grew up on.
Speaker 1: Nah, I receive it. I respect it. I respect it. I get it. I get it completely. I get it now.
Speaker 2: Now, you being the DJ and radio, do you think radio still got a place in breaking artists or you think that's over with the internet.
Speaker 1: You know what, man, Obviously there's a lot of different ways with technology now as an artist to push forward. You think what I'm saying, Oh, but I don't think that. I haven't seen a megastar. Always had this debate with people there's superstars and there's megastars. Now I won't get in this colum the superstars names because they oh what are you trying to say here? But if you look at Kendrick Lamar a Lol Wayne A, Nicki minaj A Drake a Future, I haven't seen a megastar without radio. Me personally, I've seen I've seen unbelievable shit. Like I've been to a Tech nine concert. Now, if you know Tech nine, you know you know radio and ain't know this is the independent grind. You did what I'm saying every night, That's what I'm saying in the fan base and his concerts. That's amazing what he accomplished independently. Now, if I go ask just being transparent, my wife, my sisters, my cousins, they might not know who Tech nine is. Right, I think that radio still has an aid in making people a household name because record over and over and over you here in this record. Personalities are big enough the record and a lot of kids do follow streaming for sure, But I'm just looking to my own personal household habits and it's like, Okay, the radio influences my daughter, you know what I'm saying. I got a pick up for school, I got a dropper off the school. Whatever the case is, there's the radio there. So I think it is still the biggest tool. As far as maybe crossing over is the right word, I think that's important. Uh, you know, it makes it makes megastars, man. I just haven't seen any megastars, you know, without radio. I haven't seen it. And I could be wrong. I had this debate with somebody else, like you're wrong. I'm like, okay, well tell me, tell me a Megican when you think.
Speaker 2: About it, man, everybody, because you know you can say, but Gucci Man had records on the radio.
Speaker 1: Gucci Man arguably with a song with Bruno Marsh, Gucci Man arguably transition from superstar to megastar when he got out of incarceration that had them number one radio.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: He was already Gucci. He was already trapped. God. But it's just something about that number one at radio that just puts you in that household name space. Well, let's not take away from the kids that can go do festivals. Let me tell you, like Playboy Carti's brand right, my card is huge, right, A number one record at radio, not that he needs that to solidify his career, to make him he is who he is and he's a success from top to bottom. The number one record at radio, which is it would just be different, you know, see what I'm saying. Like it's like, yes, you could be the biggest artist ever and now win a Grammy and the culture will respect you, and hip hop will respect you. You could be adult, we'll champion you. But it's just something about that Grammy. Man, something about it.
Speaker 2: Everything get different, man, Like you said, like you know, Killer Mike won that Grammy.
Speaker 3: I bet you that show bag looking way different now. Shot out at the hommy.
Speaker 1: Mike, the show bag, the opportunities, the conversations, and everything is like going back. The sports people go yeah, hey man, yes, this is an amazing basketball players that I'm a fan of. I can go out here and the rest of my man cave and show you jerseys of people I am a fan of I love Hars. He's one of the best to ever touch a pill. But it's just somebody winning that championship. It's just something about it. And listen to him as a competitor. He wants that championship, you know what I'm saying. So I'm not here to knock it. Like even as a DJ, thats well accomplished. Oh you know I've been nominated for a b T Award and all the other stuff I didn't. I didn't I didn't bring home the gold. It was an honor to be in that In that conversation. You know what I'm saying. I don't lose sleep about it, but it would have been nice. Yeah, does know what I'm saying. Yeah, it goes back on what I'm saying, is it goes back that we play, we play to be We play to be number one. So in order to have a number one record at radio, you gotta be on radio.
Speaker 3: You know what you just said?
Speaker 2: Something man, I think, honestly, the most important person, the most important piece when it comes to hip hop and specific the dj M. I would say, you know when it started off that way, You remember it used to be Jazzy Jeff from the Fresh Prince right, that's the Flesh and the Furious Five are being right, kim right, I would be eventually to say, Man, amigos is hard. I've been a fan of them kids, man, ever since I first heard them. I thought they were so different and so unique. It was almost like hearing bone for the first time. You know, they were so unique. They had their whole thing, the way they just you know, they pattern they stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm menta all that right.
Speaker 1: And I heard them here a mixtape a few.
Speaker 2: I would say, you know my son was banging my son, you know he was in I think he might have been at junior high. Then you know he college grass But now right, play the NFL and all that stuff, right, I heard that, you know, the hood rich You feel what I'm saying, And that's what made me a fan. Do you think the DJ gets slept on nowadays? And this time we ain't?
Speaker 1: Right? Now? What being man? You know, technology changes a lot. I use the analogy of like sometimes you don't see it coming. Like imagine you own ten block busted videos and you banking and every Friday people pulling up getting DVDs, popcorn, color sprites and all this other stuff. And you banging in your pocket the bank, the bank is banging, and then you wake up one Friday morning and then you get a call like yo, yo yo, yeah problem bro, what's what's the problem. What's the problem? Staying called Netflix? It's Netflix, boy, they're doing three for five. They do it for five or you ain't even got to go to the Blockbusters. They drop it off at your house and you can keep it thirty days, no late fees. Better yet, next month, I hear you're gonna be able to log in the app and watch all the movies you want.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 1: You understand the I'm saying so for me. I always when we was in the streets knee deep shots to my brother Rip, and we had CDs everywhere that you can name, gas stations, barbershops, flea markets, we had CDs everywhere. We were able to say, man, at some point, this underworld of mixtapes, it's gonna hit the internet hard, right that we were able to transform into you know, your live mixtapes and everything, and having our CDs online as well as on the streets. That was kind of our peak because we flooded the internet and we flooded the streets right. Well, at a particular point thanks to technology streaming Apple music, Apple music is to Netflix, Apple music is Netflix, and the DJs and now whole mixtape culture is Blockbuster, you know what I'm saying. So now it's kind of like they're like, you ain't got no exclusives. I can't have no exclusives the Internet. I can't. I can't keep up with the internet. Different even if our premiere an exclusive, three minutes later somebody done ripped it. It is not.
Speaker 2: Exclusive, no more exactly, and they may get more downloads than you getting used the regional source.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying. So I embrace technology, man, I don't run from it because I don't want to ever be a dinosaur.
Speaker 2: And I always want to be You for sure have to embrace technology. I was one of the first people in the West Coast actually doing podcasts.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: When I say podcast.
Speaker 2: Audio formutes, you know all you I remember some people telling me, man, ain't nobody gonna listen to that?
Speaker 3: And the wound up becoming the biggest thing ever.
Speaker 2: Right now, you got the video component to it, right, And I always try to make it my business to stay on top of the technology. Like we were talking about the one thing we were talking about off air, which means you get into further you know, off air, but you always have to see what's kind of coming up next. And I think that's what the DJ does and the DJs, I know, is y'all kind of set the trends.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I was looking at Cyprus here was Tiny Desk, right, and they were saying that they almost didn't have a career.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They album was kind of tanking when it first came out because the singles that they picked just wasn't working.
Speaker 1: And I think they said that the DJ had picked them.
Speaker 2: And just kill a Man was the Muns Monks, right, Yeah, you know that's one of the DJ's, right, they DJ, but a DJ in New York just started playing and then it kind of cat from there. So just imagine the world without no sight. I perceive it has just been another rap group that got dropped.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah, yeah, listen, I'm not saying this because I'm a DJ. If we implement it, more of the DJ back into the culture. Not saying we're in a bad place. I just think we'll be in a better place because I actually argue with artists about final playlist for mixtapes. You know what I'm saying, like argue, Like now I'm telling you that ain't it. I'm in the club that ain't it? Bro, put that on your album.
Speaker 2: Percent right, That's what I'm saying. And you know, shout out to my homeboy, DJ Head. I don't know if you know Head.
Speaker 1: You know brother.
Speaker 2: Here, don't pick a couple of big records that people was kind of.
Speaker 1: Like wanting to lose one way on.
Speaker 2: I ain't about to putting nobody's business out there, but he was like, nah, brother, and I would have I would get some of the homies cause it's funny because they know he is like my little brother. So I get the phone calls, right man. You know, artists are very very emotional when it comes to their music. Man, if he had, you know, the first thing they want to do is call you ater is you tell them them the truth?
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 2: You know, head Man, that single you got right there is trash man, But if you pick this one, it's one gonna change your life. And yeah, when they listen is great. When they don't want to listen as bad man, And I really implore all if I was still doing music, man, they had a label up DJs would be my n rs.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's the way, that's the way it's that's the way it should be. I think that uh technology just made it to where people felt like, I don't need a lot of what makes a record great. Honestly, what makes a record great is taste makers champion in the record makes a record great. It's an engineer mixing their record to perfection. It makes a record great. It's the graphic designer create artwork for that record makes the record great. It's how the videographer shoots that video and paints the picture of the audio you do I said what I'm saying like these there's a lot of ship that makes a record great. You can have a record and it can be a hit. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you can't just do that on your own. But another aspect of that record being great is the producer, if they produce the record. There's a lot that makes a record great. Again, using this because it's the best case scenario for this year, I think we can argue and debate, not much of an argue with debate. The song of the year is Kendrick Lamar not like us, right, I think me. You know, so you got Kendrick, then you got Mustard DJ on the beat, all right. Of course you got the fans, and of course there was the controversy and everything that put eyes and everything on it. But I'm sure to some extent you bring up DJ Head, So sure DJ Head had a little bit of a head nod or maybe I'm just using my imagination. There's nothing definitive, but I think Head might have had privilege to putting his ears on it a little early, right, And this was the team that said, okay, now that we're clear, it's been mixed, it's been this. Who knows if Doctor Dre heard this record. We don't know, right, Doctor Dre again a DJ right now, we can put this out. And when I tell you, some of the biggest records in Atlanta went through a filtration process a lot of times my ears included before they came out, and some of those records still play to this day. Knock if you Buck, Swag, surfing records that will never go away, D Manny Fresh Djack that ass. This is a forever record. So when I tell people and when I try to like give game to the young ones, I'm like It's okay to play the game for now. For sure, you should play for now, But I don't, and I'm a little bit maybe tainted in this. When I play, man, I play forever. I want big facts to matter forever. I want big facts thirty years from now. You understand what I'm saying. The mixtapes I made in two thousand and five not because I'm full of myself and not because I'm arrogance, and that's not me. The mixtapes I made in two thousand and five with niggas people still play today twenty years later. That's what hip hop is to me. I was just listening to run DMC, listen to some ol cool J to get me ready for this new project. Are you making pyramids or exactly?
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna tell you the one.
Speaker 2: The people who not, who don't have a DJ in they camp, they're making dirt piles. That's why you see so many And this is not a dish to the young cats, right. I love some of the music that these young cats making crazy. Young's going crazy, going crazy with it right now, but they don't have that They make one record in their bedroom right because of the technology, right, they don't have to pay for studio time like we did. You know, we used to set to try to scrape up forty fifty bucks an hour to go to a small studio. Right now they just go their bed more on their phone, you know, shot off to the little only three one old baby. He made a platinum record on his iPhone, right, the rocks Man. Right, we didn't have that back then. But what's happening now is it would be great if he consulted with a DJ okog wish it my next record? Beyond established this sound? How can I keep this trend going? That's why you see a lot of cats right now. And I called the TikTok phase right the where records are go platinum go because of TikTok and they be big and you don't even know who these artists are half the time, you just know it's a big record, right.
Speaker 1: I think they need to enlist the services of the DJ. Well. I do some consulting, and often often we get to the point where I say, if you're gonna build a team and be an artist, you need to start in five right, So you need yourself, you need a lawyer, you need the engineer, you need a DJ sometimes DJ, engineer, producer that can serve you know, you know, back and forth, and you need that guy. You might call the guy your manager, your hot whatever, but that guy that will do the dirty work, the guy don't have no Hey you need to book my artist, Hey, you need to whatever you want to call it. The guy that's dedicated to the cause. If you have those five people and you have a good product, you will progress. How far are you progressed, that's all up to you know, with the fate of your career, whatever, whatever the case may be. But you have to have a team. You have to have a team. I've never seen it done without a team. If you look at the people at the top of the top of the top of the top, they might not have this big, oversaturated team of a bunch of people that will do nothing, but they got a team. That's believe. Jay Z's always had a team. Oh for sure has a team. Kendrick has a team. These people have a team. Drake doesn't move without forty, right, whatever that may be. DJ sometimes DJ engineer, producer. It's a similar it's a similar cloth, you know what I'm saying. So, but you need that person that's gonna tell you the truth. Hey man, that ain't it? Or you know what? I think you could do that verse better? Yet interesting enough. You talk about teams and you mentioned Kendrick Lamar. I've known Doc Man since he was maybe fifteen years old. Right.
Speaker 2: I was to my homeboy, Top Dog and Punch Punch was still one of my good friends. Talked to Punch every day, right, they was over and Carson, you know, had the studio in the back of the house, you know you And it's funny now, man, I always laugh. I always till the top when you make that movie, Man, Who're gonna get to play in my character? Because I was around them so much back then, right, And it was just dope because the more Top learned, the more they progressed. And I remember when Top first, you know, he was chasing the deal at first they got j Rock had a deal first, and actually Kendrick Kendrick had a demo deal with Death Jam jay Z signed Doc first. It was to a demo deal, right, he got a demo deal first. A lot of people don't know that, but Top, you know, he like everybody else from they first come in the game. He thought, oh, we need to go get a record deal, and that's gonna take everything. He said, No, he let them, being even more frustrated, right, because it was the best thing that ever happened to them. They forced them to learn how to make records, right, so that studio became kind of like a boot camp. My boy I Lei, who's one of the greatest engineers the game. Now, he got his chops up during that time, and they were the first ones really out here attacking those blogs, right, and their music just became so undeniable. Couldn't nobody sleep on use. A lot of people slept on tde at first. Bro, A lot of people did. Now they just you know, now they probably have. They gonna probably go down in history, man, right with the deaf Jams and all of them. Man, there's people that really just are part of the lexicond of hip hop m because they did. But it was all the team effort, and all of them dudes listened to top. They listened. They were young, and they was impression. But it was a good thing because he lived in the right way, right, And I think right now, man, I think that's what's missing. I think the technology, as much as good for the game, I think is kind of killing it because you're not getting it.
Speaker 1: You're getting a bunch of people's making records by themselves. Yeah, it's different, man, It's always a gift in the curse. I would just say that if you look at the level that someone like Kanye West took it to whatever, we can name so many different people, right me personally as a DJ. What made me stronger as a DJ and as an overall person that was a part of music culture. I went back and study. I could go back and talk to you about music from the sixties and the seventies and I wasn't even born, you know what I'm saying. I went back and study, and I wanted to understand where did this come from, why did this happened, what made it successful? Da da Okay, before I was even blessed enough to meet a kid capre in person or whatever the case is. When I'm talking about, I'm a baby when these people was doing their thing. But I studied them to the point where by the time I met them, like, y'all want you to take this wrong way, but I studied you. You understand I'm saying, I understand you know the dynamics behind this mixtape and why this mixtape was important? And why did I studied the game. I'm a student of the game. I think the biggest thing is that we can have the technology, but we don't have a graduating process. We just raw talent. It's just a lot of niggas out there hooping and they don't They can hoop like a motherfucker, you know what I'm saying, But there's no so when you're asking them questions like, you know, what's your purpose behind this, what's your goals where you're trying to take it, how you're going to elevate, what's your next album gonna be on? What what does ten years look like for you? They ain't thought past ninety eight for real, So if your minds if your mind, I've always envisioned being old and gray, you know what I'm saying. I've always envisioned in my head one day. I didn't even figure out how I'm gonna do something else or have options because I probably don't want to be seventy years old in a club DJ. I still would love to DJ to some respect, But that's kind of what opened me up for media. We could sit down and do this at any age. Yes, real, Instead what I'm saying. So when you look at a COOLJ, a Ludicris, an ice team who became actual movie stars TV stars, they had to envision a step ahead of Hey man, I probably rap forever. I love the same thing, ice Cube, all these people. I'll probably rap forever because I love it in my heart. This is my love. But boy, this that young boy sport. So you're gonna have to You can't strict Oh cool J can have I'm sure this album is dynamic. I still there and check it out myself. It's unfair to try to get him to stream like a nineteen year old kid. It's not fair. But at the same time, Yo, I'm getting this TV money. You know what I'm saying. I'm on TV, like real television, like NBC. I'm on TV. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So we have to we have to. We have to kind of we always have the og and the young young headed conversation and you know, the disconnection, and it's kind of like we gotta we gotta share that game. Man. I listen, a lot of my game come from young niggas. When you when the young niggas talk, I listen.
Speaker 2: Oh, you have to bro, you have to You can't look at them as your competition. You have to look at them and say, okay, let me see what they got going on. You for sure, buddy, check them out of you be lost in the sauce out here.
Speaker 1: I listen. I might not get with you know, the fashion part of it, but you know that you know what I'm saying. I listened, and then I'll be quiet and I wait till they say what you think? Oh gee, oh well, I think you know what I'm saying. From my perspective, this is how you can tie you in that shit out Cool. Now, we just gave each other game, no hate, just love you helping me understand. Man, I'm telling you man, like young niggas, man, they don't want to know't they don't want to do all that. They just want to go SoundCloud here it real quick. I'm just telling you they don't want to do all that blah blah blah blah. Man. Let me tell you, brother, I ain't never watched the podcast. I don't watch the whole thing. I watched the shorts. Okay, cool, the young people watch shorts. You know what I'm saying. So you got to just take that game in from the young people, man, and that's the beauty of hip hop. I felt like it's always been. Man. One of one of my proud hip hop moments was Nas and cool Gie Rap because I started to understand hip hop around when Coolie Rap was at his and for Nis to be at his peak some years later, or not peak, but popping, you know, some years later, if it had to come together and do that Fast Life record, that's what it's about to me. Yeah, it's about DJ Scream doing a mixtape with the new hot young thing. That's what it's about. M to me. You know, speaking to them DJ Scream mixtapes? What artists?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: What artists?
Speaker 1: Did you just know from the Rip from you first hearing them that they was gonna blow up? And there's a lot going on. Lie, Like I always say, shout to my brother Rip again, like we we went through this movement together. You know what I'm saying. The hood rich and all of the homie, salute to all of them. But all there was a day I remember Rest of Soul, Young Dolphin, when I met him, I may him at a Marriott Park a lot. You know what I'm saying, Cast me out gave me the music. We chopped it up. We just met. Said I'm going to get features. You know what I'm saying. I'm sending you a few more records. I'm going to fuck with two chains this person Da da da dah. And when I got in a car, I remember putting the CD in because I always I would have to ride to your music for at least it's like a week before I could do your mixtape to fill it, you know what I'm saying. And then sometimes I would ride and just kind of listen and have selective hearing and all that stuff. I remember, namely being on the phone with some of the homies and I was like, hold on, bro, and I call you back. You good, nah man, I'm listening to this nigga named Dawt, this nigga hard hang on the phone. I remember. I remember taking a long way to the crib so I could finish listening. That's how I was. That was welcome to Dolph world. And it was just that feeling that I chased. Man. That's the feeling I had with Shaddy Low. That's the feeling I had, you know, definitely salute Rip he called future. That's the feeling I had listening to fut for the first time, so many people. You know what I'm saying, you know, in a in a unique way. It's a feeling that I had. It was a different type of feeling. But I had Soldier Boys music early too. I did this first mixtape and I was like, well, this is dancy, and I'm not a dancy person, but I know a hit when I hear it. And the thing is, this man got ten hits. So I've been blessed to man, I've been blessed to hear a lot of the same thing. With Migos. We know the story. We told the story on video of how they brought me the first mixtape. Everybody knows. Scream them in the studio like this, that's just me stiff, take this shiit serious? What you think? I'm like sor right, So they're looking at me. I hate nigga. We the Migos like, but off Set always tells a story like man, we went back and that made us go harder. Like next time we got up in that studio they play that music. I couldn't even do nothing but smile. I couldn't even have no me mother. I'm like boy, y'all got it. That's what hip hop is, man. It's about pushing your brothers and your sisters to be the best they can be and understanding that the art that you're putting out, the art that you're putting out potentially could be here one hundred and hundreds of years from now. Yeah, you broke. Nobody thinks about that. That's why I go so hard every day because I don't know what I'm not feelna bullshit this interview. We'll know what this interview. You don't know what this this, this could be the biggest ever. Is always when you think it ain't gonna be nothing, that ended up being.
Speaker 2: You think all the time, and when you think it's gonna be something, you'd be like damn it, then blow up like I thought it was right.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I can't listen. I I I lace my close up every day, right to play ball every day, every situation. I give it, I give it everything. I got.
Speaker 2: You sure, butter, Now, let me ask you this is that almost wasn't fair because Atlanta had a lot of people blow up who didn't crack that you thought, for sure, go blow up.
Speaker 1: Have you had one of those instances when yeah, I think there's a lot of projects where I would have said, I don't know if you use a terminology, didn't didn't crack all like, reaches full potential, like we were talking about somebody who who had Atlanta on Fire or I felt like we had a classic mixtape and who I felt like, to this date should be bigger and hopefully will continue to grow. He's still making music. Uh, Young Rob the jill Man. You know what I'm saying. That was one of those special ones recipes. My brother a Little Hot, you know what I'm saying. A Little Hot had the city on fire. That was a memorable project. It's it's it's tough normal because you know, and I'm not even capping as a thousand plus mixtapes, so it gets blurry to me, you know what I'm saying. Uh, But those those are those are those are a few projects that a couple of projects that also Atlanta's ship. I just felt like, you know, ah, you know, a little Hot, you know obviously you know what I'm saying. The rest of his soul is uh, he lost his he passed away, and then Young Ralph he tells his own story on Big Facts. You know what I'm saying of kind of the things that he went through and the ups and downs and all this other type of stuff. So you know, those are brothers are still like you know, you see, and they still doing their thing for sure. But that's just a couple of names of people that I had that same feeling when I first heard their music, like chills through my body and everything. But you know, everybody's journey is different, you know what I'm saying. But I would I wouldn't say. I wouldn't say they didn't crack out and say they might not get to reach their full potential. But you know, those are a couple of names I always shout out when I think about, you know, the mixtape legacy.
Speaker 3: You know, you know who always wondered about man and I know he went to jail.
Speaker 1: Is what was his name? He's a producer, Shorty Red.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shorty Red. He was already as helld with me man, and then I started hearing him and jeez, he had beef, yeah, because he did something with Gucci Man, I guess, and it was it was just crazy.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 2: I thought, if Shorty Red didn't go to jail, though, he could have possibly have been the biggest producer in the game.
Speaker 1: Got a catalog, man, he got a real catalog. That everybody ship. It's crazy. When the versus stuff was going on, I was always screaming, like, they need they need to put Shot Red up in there with somebody like you know, you get hip hop amnesia quick with a lot of names. Now, who would you say, like, like, who would you compare Shorty Red to? Like who can match up with him? Really?
Speaker 3: You probably get like a many fresh as somebody.
Speaker 1: I personally would do shoddy Red. Metro booming that your they have a distinct. They have a distinct either way, they have some This sound is very distinct. When I hear Metro booming beats, I'm like, man, Metro, you know, for me, Metro when he was young, you just know he's just there's something powerful about his gift. Ah. But they both like Metro is too Future, even though Future has done some amazing music with DJ Spins south Side. There's so many other people we can name, right, mm hmmm. But it's something about that future of Metro, right, it's just something abouty Oh. I don't know where they left off. I don't know any of the personal side of it. There's something about shotty Red and Jeezy Jesus. Jesus made some dope music of late, but the something about shotty Red and Jeezy this is something like tuping t I. To me, that was like and Snoop.
Speaker 2: It's like when you had about it, it was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could listen Snoop and go do music with for real and it's dope. But it ain't snooping. Dread Dre is just this. There's just certain, there's this certain synergies and certain like Zaytoven, Gucci Man. Mm hmm, listen, man, you know what I'm saying. Druma Boy, Gucci Man, drummer Boy. It's just certain. It's certain kickoffs, certain certain certain chemistries that you just can't explain. It's almost like a spiritual you know what I'm saying. Like it's like when them two brothers getting them on together. It's different.
Speaker 3: They just in pocket, man. And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: When you get those special combinations like that, to me, you need to let that run go on as long as it can have a little bullshit don't happen man or whatever.
Speaker 1: You gotta let that go and want you want to spread your wings man, if you're an artist, year you want to you want to do music with other other people. I can imagine when we look at the hip hop legacies of Pete Rock and see a small gangstar, you know, I can imagine that, Imagine what goes into creating the art and the music, and imagine how much time you're spending with each other. It's a music like it's a it's a it's a relationships like a business, a partnership, you know what I'm saying. So anytime that happens, regardless of what you're doing. It could be music, it could be media, it could be sports whatever. You know, as men, you know, with egos, we all have egos as men. You know, stuff can happen. But if you can for the sake of the fans, I agree some of them names. Man, it's just something about when certain people link up so Dumn, it's special. It's special, and it's really hard to recreate the moment sometimes, Man, it's almost impossible. Sometimes.
Speaker 3: You know what I was gonna ask you, man, were talking about the South Right.
Speaker 2: As far as producers down there, you know, Many Fresh is probably my favorite producer from down there.
Speaker 1: Dope, dope favorite producer man again a DJ because and you know, I wish I had the homie glasses on here because he was telling me, you know, when he first got to work with him, My man, he's processed. He is he going there?
Speaker 2: May he make the record? He said, it's like a party. Yeah, he's having a party. And his drums just you know, he start everything out with the drums. Hecause he make everything fresh and he could be hooked and everything like that. When you say that, Manny's probably when you say that Manny Fresh is probably radised. Producers come out the South. You know, I'm from Atlanta, now I know maybe Yeah, that's what I'm saying. But the South though, we talk about the whole South.
Speaker 1: Man all up. It is hard. Yeah, it is hard to match what many Fresh did with cash money mm hmm, those timeless records. Oh it's but it's also hard for me to even if we talk about New Orleans sound, it's hard for me to not at least acknowledge you know, beats by the pound. Ye, no limit knowledge. You know what I'm saying, It's hard for me to not acknowledge DJ Paul and Juicy J. No, this is my they some monsters, but from a production aspect, what they've done and how it's been recreated and re sampled so much, it's just hard for me not to acknowledge them from a production standpoint.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of tripping.
Speaker 2: I forgot about and I said that before that Paul and Juicy probably was the title because they sound has been emulated so much.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I think Juicy J said that he was clearing the record every day.
Speaker 1: Hey man, listen, it's hard not to acknowledge that. I don't. I don't have all the names of the Florida legends that did, like you know, the Miami Bass music and everything, J Mix, DJ mister Mix, DJ mister Mix. You know.
Speaker 2: Actually I think toomth early On got some games, mister Mix. If I'm not mistaken, this is a good friend of mine, So you got too. Can't forget about Too, who still got some amazing music.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't forget about Tom in no way I could sit here and recipes Freco Wade not acknowledged with organized did I have to acknowledge it? So I'm not debating is that question. I'm just saying I have to acknowledge some of these people that created well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if you can't say it's the greatest man because all of them is so created. What they do, man, all pocket they bring their own originality to it.
Speaker 1: You know. See it's it's it's on the West Coast. The philosophy is that it's pretty cut and dry. That is dre right, That's that's the philosophy that we that's what we get. But I do know that there's a lot of greats out there from the Bay right then some some some timeless music. I do know a brother absolute and I was a massive fan of still a fan Warren G. You know, is the business you dig what I'm saying, like, these are people, man. A lot of times I think people don't you know quick well quick accomplished. Oh DJ like listen, but but but for the sake of for the sake of barbershop talk, A lot of people on the West Coast would probably say, Drake, I don't you know the South carries someone's territory. We just named all these people, but we didn't even get to Texas and.
Speaker 3: They all that.
Speaker 2: And you know who we didn't name either, I think is he's done so much R and B. Jermaine Duprix is a bad name, Jermaine Duprix is the name you have to salute and respect.
Speaker 1: L A. Reid, You know what I'm saying, You have to respect that. And then the South, to be honest, encompasses. To be honest, it encompasses for real. And Timblin they from Virginia, the South from South. So that's why I said, I can't listen, mad he's a monster on the turntables, on the production.
Speaker 2: And what he's done.
Speaker 1: He's a monster. Uh but Yo, it's a lot of great producers below this, Mason Dixie.
Speaker 2: Bro Well that's why I say, Man, the South, the South got one of those runs, man to where to never end, because like you said, it literally goes from east to west right, you know, you got kind of ends at Texas right and goes back down to the bottom of Miami up.
Speaker 3: To Va and all the other stuff.
Speaker 2: Man, it's just so like the influences on parallel because it got so many different pockets. Like you got to remember, New Orleans got their own little bounce, right, Atlanta got his own bounce. You got Memphis that kind of got his own little bop to it. We got Miami too, and I remember it was a time man that the bass music was real big.
Speaker 3: And at l too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. I mean, you know, influenced by Florida, but there's so many greats and so many names we can and those those those records were in fuse with R and B to create a whole new genre of like R and B in fuse with with with bass music and Atlanta music. So man, the history and the legacy is rich, man, it's it's it's just here in Atlanta alone, not even just speaking of the South. The history and the legacy of the music and the production, it's just so rich. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Real, No, I'm gonna flip it over a little bit to the podcast to the podcast game. Now, you just you didn't come up with big facts by yourself.
Speaker 1: Me and Big Bank shots to my brother Bank J jumped on. J jumped on after after our first season, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, we were just chopping it. Man. He'd already did this massively huge interview with Future, who you know, doesn't do a lot of interviews with people, and they got to talking, oh and had had a big interview. And then when I actually linked up with Bank, I'm like, man, I'm honest, I was interviewing him for my radio show. I was like, I mean, honest, man, yo, you gotta you gotta do it, man, because it was so raw, it was so unfiltered. IM like, immedia needs you, like, you gotta do it. So his thing was, and he knows me, and I've known him a very long time. He was like, shit, everybody talking about they gonna help me do it, but ain't nobody help me do it. So shit, you help me do it, We'll do it. So I was like, now, don't play me with a good time. I think we were recording probably eight days later. I went and bought banners and lights and got the crew together to record it. And he walked in and he was like, oh, oh shit you oh you for real? Year was this? This is nineteen. We'll be the fifth. The five year birthday of Big Facts will be this December.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy, y'all started off around the same time Gangs the Chronicles did. I remember, yeah, start off around the same time Games.
Speaker 3: The Chronicles did.
Speaker 2: And the business just don't change so much because I don't think none of us knew what this was gonna be.
Speaker 1: And I like, and I man, I love I love the pure innocence of when I was making Mixed Tastes. I ain't know the hell I was doing people talk about and I wish I would have knew better about business, but I ain't got no publishing on the Mixed Taste Listen, man, I'm hustling. But that's what this podcasting was. It was like, man, we just kicking shit. Bank was like I could smoke. I'm like, yeah, we want you to smoke and curse, bruh, do whatever you want to do. I want you to be yourself. And that's that's that's the element. Even as we evolve and the sin and you know what I'm saying, we have more fans and we've grown and we're grateful for that. We still try to keep that big, facts core feel of it. Hey man, we just in here just kicking it, kicking shit, talking about topics, giving our perspective on topics and everything like that. You know what I'm saying, Like that, that's that's what it really is. So I love it, man, It's raw. I love it. I think everybody deserves to have a voice. I know there's a lot of podcasts, hey man, I don't I don't discourage anybody from you know, speaking their mind and exercising their voice.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, one of the things that we will see. I think the video kind of brought a different element to it because you know, there's a lot of brothers, you know, doing their thing on YouTube different formats now. But I think one of the things that YouTube does do is don't nobody like getting those yellow dollar signs getting to monetized. I see a lot of people kind of like playing around like water and they showdown. And I think the next evolution, man of the podcast. Man, we already don't seen to, you know, go to video platform. I think the next thing is gonna beat the podcast as when these streaming platforms man.
Speaker 1: Well listen. I can only speak for myself. If I go to certain apps. There's a few, there's a few like Lessen, a handful of TV shows that I watch, all big sports fans, you know what I'm saying. I watch a lot of sports, namely football. But when I do have the time to sit down and be entertained, I'm gonna watch a podcast. It's not even it's not even close. If you look at my watch time, I'm watching podcast and I watched as well established podcasts. But I'm like digging for new podcasts, trying to find a young, hungry new podcast niggas. You know what I'm saying, Like it's it's it's a world where I think we did have to go through the hype of it for a second, the hype, Oh, you can make a hundred million dollars. But when you when you when you step back from that and you pay it to into the pure hearted podcast community, which really what it is is just what we're doing right now is just having a conversation. By the time this conversation is over, you listen to it, you learn something, you know what I'm saying, You learn something about hip hop history, you got a little game, hopefully you're motivated, whatever the case is. Like, that's why it's just so important. Honestly, we all say, man, I think we all felt a little weird in the pandemic, and Bank was like, man, I ain't gonna lie, man, we need to do the podcast like my therapy. And that's when we jumped on zoom and kept it going on zoom for the people. You know what I'm saying, because it was like, man, it was deeper than just interviewing people like you said, we have conversations. So we have a conversation and it's like we might be talking about mental health or we might be talking about health, you know what I'm saying. And it's therapy, you know what I'm saying. So being able to just talk to people and see their perspectives and know that they're going through the same thing that you're going through, and know what I'm saying, a lot of times you agree to disagree or you agree or whatever the cases. It's therapeutic, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the dope part about it is, man, is dope to see brothers having those conversations about mental health for sure, for sure, because I think it was a time man, especially coming up in a hood to where you just didn't tell nobody you was dealing with some shit, right, and we didn't know what to call it back then. Like our knew brothers who now always say okay they had PTSD, we just thought they was just bugged out. You feel what I'm saying, Like, oh, man, crazy, We all had that crazy homeboy in the hood, right, but those cats was really going through some things. Now they got diagnosed for it. Man, I encourage all my homeboys Man, it ain't nothing. We just don't been through so much shit's black men. It ain't always about you know. Drama is just the stuff that we go through.
Speaker 1: Like, Man, I'll be real with you.
Speaker 2: It was so much going on at one time, man, to where I really felt like every time the police pulled me over, I was possibly to lose my life.
Speaker 3: Life seriously.
Speaker 2: I went through that for a minute, man, to where it was just like you bombarded with all this stuff that's going on.
Speaker 1: You get pulled over, right and you're thinking like, man, I got my hands from the team, the two how's this dude?
Speaker 3: How's he gonna be today? Is he gonna be in a good move today? Or is he gonna be in the because.
Speaker 2: You never know, have them get scared of us half time they pull us over, so we don't know what's go happen. So I went through that phase, man, I went through the phase man that just you know, you deal with death so much in our community, just wondering like.
Speaker 1: How am I gonna go out? I think those are real things that we just never be scared to talk about. Bro. Man, that's that's that's that's the truth. And I'm gonna just say you know, my fresh therapist is God in my prayer. You know what I'm saying. I taught to die about anything. You know what I'm saying, likewise, but it's but it's but it's but it's it's valuable. Man, it's listen, I gotta I got a massive sneaker habit. If you see my sneaker collection, you're like, well, And what I said is, man, I'm gonna take I'm gonna buy two or three less pair of sneakers a month so I can get this therapist. Because at first, I like, man, I ain't got no money for that. You know what I'm saying, Man, these sneakers, I love them. That's therapeutic for me too. But I'm like, I can I'll never wear all these sneakers. It ain't ever, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But if you have you done therapy yet?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 3: Have you had a therapy session yet?
Speaker 1: No, That's what I'm saying. I've been doing therapy for like three years.
Speaker 3: No for sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, I slowed down my sneaker habit and invested some of that money into a therapist. And listen, she's she's brought me from understanding I would tell her I have panic attacks, Like if I'm driving and the cops pull me over, I start having a panic attack. But it'll make me more panicky that I ain't got nothing going on, by the way, but I'm just in panic because I don't know what they own, like you say, bro, and I'll be going to be literally like I can hear a I can hear a siren right now, I'll jump them.
Speaker 2: And you know what the scary part about the Panica Taxi is is you think you have a heart attack of something.
Speaker 1: I've I've had whole breakdowns hospital like, I've been through all of that, and I didn't understand till I got in therapy shots the Big Energy, this exclusive info. We gotta I gotta spin off of Big Fast coming with one of the home girls, Big kaylor shots to her and it's based on progression and mental health. That should be dropping Q four. But I did not know that, listen. I stayed in the middle class. I stayed in the hood. I stuff heard gunshots. I've been through all of that. I didn't understand and never processing that and just being tough and just saying, man, whatever, you know what I'm saying, and never processing it and never talking about it. Then I'm holding it in and it's actually hurting me. You did what I'm saying Losabo's Green parents at nineteen years old. This is stuff that I never I was always a tough one. Mm you see what I'm saying, process stuff. You know.
Speaker 2: The first time I had a panic attack, man, I was at one of my son's football games. It was his first game starting in the USC, right, and I just came from upstairs. You know, you're in the stadium. Man, I'm running back downstairs, you know, in case the kickoff, right, and I'm just sweating.
Speaker 1: And my heart is like my wife looked at me.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say nothing because I'm like skin, I'm like, man, am I having a heart attack right now? Point shout out to my boy Big Dennis. Man. Big Dennis actually man won him and another one at the homies. Man grabbed me and I wound up on USC side line. Man, the doctor you know, the team, and they took me ambulance. They didn't know what was going on. And this is you know, I was ashamed of talking about this stuff for the longest, right, But then I said, you know what, man, get being ashamed about some stuff. If I can help another brother out man to identify this stuff man and just come to find out. Man, I've been having panic attacks man, probably for the past five or six years.
Speaker 1: I just didn't know what they was they. Man, Listen, I have them my sleep everything. One of my biggest supporters, my brother man. You know, I just call them if I'm having a date. One biggest supporters is just the Fab you know. He openly said that he was going through anxiety and panic attacks and stuff like that when I was in a very very, very very when I couldn't shake that. So I had a point where I was having, like I said, breakdown. I was having three panic attacks a day. It just it just was wearing on me. But I'm still trying to be strong for everybody. I'm trying to be the strong one and everything like this, and me and Fab would bill and He'll tell me, Bro, you got to get out of nature like that, nature will heal you. You got to get out there and just get the sun and grove dis effects, just get healed and just and then my therapist was just like She's like, I'm being honest. Until you learn how to truly let go you're gonna suffer. You gotta let go. You gotta just let go. You gotta be able to say fuck it. Fuck, fuck the DJ screen ship, fuck trying to do this, Fuck your payroll and the people. You gotta pa fuck it and focus on you. Bro.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. I don't think people understand.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I've been like I was in the Mixed game. Man, I bought my first house because of the Mixtape.
Speaker 3: Game, you know, due to it.
Speaker 2: Man, when we was able to you know, before the mother Cats got busted and doing what they was doing. You know, it was just a real crazy time, right because I was doing homie dads and them stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, you know we was getting cod man, you know, yes, yeah, yeah, you know, so it was cracking.
Speaker 2: I remember I went through that phase, man, to wear that kind of dried up because I remember when that happened to Drama and them. Dog, I had to come to owe me like one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: That was dog. Yeah, we all remember that day. I think we all lost a little change that day.
Speaker 2: And the whole thing about it is I just paid out on some stuff and I'm like, you know what, I'm getting this wired at the end of the week. I'm going to pay them out now, right, so I don't pay money off man that I'm thinking coming back in the end of the week. And they're like, man, we can't get you know, ain't nothing happening. This hm V is a company, you know, the record chain over in England. Right, They wasn't playing out and a lot of my mixtapes was original music. They just couldn't get clear through the you know, they were stuff that people wouldn't go. They didn't make albums right, And so I'm dealing with these cats. They asked me, man, what's up with the bread? And I actually had to show them like, bro, I'm not getting paid. You know, it ain't like it ain't there. And I really went through this transition. I just got my first A and R job at that time, so I wasn't really tripping, but I was. I was like, damn, I just lost the grip of money. I would like to had that income going. But that showed me something I learned a valuable lesson during that time, bro, is that you can't take nothing for granted.
Speaker 1: You can't tell you yet. Man, Let's go back to what I was saying earlier about lacing up them cleats every day being grateful. You're not knowing because that was the pivot, you know what I'm saying. When when the whole mixtape raid went down, it was like, oh, man, you know we're highly dependent upon this, Like this is what we depend on, you know what I mean? And now, honestly, before like covid hit, I already put myself in the mindset of I never want to depend on one thing too much, my livelihood. You can't.
Speaker 2: I'm already thinking about man, Like you know, you got other podcasts. I got other stuff that I'm doing now, man, and looking forward to doing, like on the film side, man on the documentary side.
Speaker 3: Just different stuff.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I reconnected with one of my homeboys, man and.
Speaker 2: He's the head of security for the ZEUS network, and me and him played college football together. I came out here to go to a Juco, right, I went to a Juco first Long Beat City College. And when I say, he was probably the coldest outside lineback round every single man, my boy shout.
Speaker 1: Out the big A D.
Speaker 3: But we you know you lose track. Did you played basketball?
Speaker 1: Ain't you? I never? I never. I was never good enough to say I played.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you played sports though, right, I bounced a couple of basketballs. But I'm a DJ man. But no, I, like I said, I follow sports. You know, I followed back.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one of new things, man, to where you got a close bond with somebody, then you know, life happened, you start moving on, right. So I was just kind of catching up with him, man, what happened to him? Because you know, right now he's doing really well. Because right now, right now, he doing really well for himself, right. You know, he had a security for Zeus. You have the Zeus right, all the message stuff, right, and you know he making a bunch of money. Man doing well. But he took was talking to me, man about this dark period that he went through and his wife left him, and you know he was like homeless, not homeless, but like living out of hotels for a minute.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, bro, I felt real fucked up. When he told me. Next, I was like, why didn't you call me bro? Mm hm, why didn't you you know, try to catch up with me?
Speaker 2: You know me and you boys, right, And he just like, man, I don't want nobody to see me like that, and I was just like, man, I would hope that anybody I really call my friend, or wouldn't let pride be the reason they don't get at me from the help?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like I got a homeboy, somebody that was big in the industry that just committed suicide. I ain't gonna say his name out of respected family, but I just wonder, like, man, don't ever be too prized for reach out for help?
Speaker 1: Man? Yeah, you know, you know, you know, you know, just checking on people. Like some people their pride in their ego is not one of being able to just say I need help, right, I think that you have to. Also, I think it's all good for us to do therapy and just study mental health so that we can look at indicators. Indicators are kind of like people withdrawing, you know what I'm saying, not doing the things that they usually do that make them happy, Like if one of my parts breaks a chain, Like if we all say we play chess or something whatever, you know what I'm saying, They're not gonna be like, bro, all right, you sure you could. And they were like they might just be like, man, I'm tired, or it might just be they this might be real tired, but they're like when people do stuff consistently and then they kind of break that consistency. It's healthy just to say are you okay? Because you'd be surprised if we got enough. Are you okay? Is going? This would get more people to open up. But a lot of people don't ask people if they're okay, especially especially two And it's like I just be like, bro, you straight, You're sure? It ain't got to be like, hey are you okay? I get it, Bro, you straight? Everything cool? You sure? You look you look a little stretched and look a little down, like you need to holler at me. That's the least that we can kind of do we have.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest thing, man, because sometimes man, you may be saving somebody's life man by just checking in on them.
Speaker 3: Man, because.
Speaker 1: It's man. You know what my one of my favorite movies, Hustling Flow is hard out here for a pimp man, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And not to listen, not to take anything away. You know, we're just talking about you know, African Americans, but like black women, black men, like you know, I check on my wife, she checks on me, like as a woman as a black woman, as a mother. Imagine like the stuff that a black woman has to go through on a day to day basis for real. But you have to also respect, you know, the black black man is the providers and everything. Like, it's a lot that everybody goes through. So I tell people relationships instead of trying to kind of like I'm going through more than you. Love. Me and my wife try to support each other and say like, all right, today, you seem like you had no more stressful day than I did. So let's talk about you and make you comfortable. Let me rub your feet, you know what I'm saying. Let me do this. What's something I can do for you? You know, let me cook the dinner, dad saying. Or some days my wife might just be like should just take my phone, like go shit down? Yeah, just go sit down, Just go just go sit down and just chill. It'll be here tomorrow, you know what I'm saying. I know I've been living in a like I told you, man, since eighty eight. My moms is in Atlanta. Man, I'm really looking at making that move down there next summer by me house man show us when I got out here, just because I like the fact, man, it's peachful out there.
Speaker 3: I like being the fact man, I can go on my mom's backyard.
Speaker 1: And just walk. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just be cool, man, and just really just might go out there and just just go out there, man, and really just enjoy nature. And they got a little you know, benches out, very few things.
Speaker 1: You know. You just sit down, bro, and you turn that phone off. Man, you might. I remember I went back there and read a book.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was back there reading a book, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just said, Man, I cannot do this in Los Angeles, man, because it's too much going on all the time.
Speaker 1: That's that I always admire. The homies. Just stay in LA the homies, just stay in New York City. There are two beautiful places that I love to come to and visit, you know for some days. But there's there's certain things. There's certain things I do in Atlanta for my own wellbeing, spiritual wellbeing. We got a lot of parks, we got a lot of trails, a lot of nature stuff. I have to do where I am. And to get me wrong, I've been in the city all my life. So this is something of recent up the last three or four years. But like that, eat me in two. You know what I'm saying. I always toot like we just left l A for the bt BT Awards, and it's kind of like in la is a beautiful city, but it's just that it's a city.
Speaker 3: A city. And man, when I tell you it's expensive out here, man, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Tell you understand how y'all like if gas was six seven dollars here you see me walking around everywhere.
Speaker 2: Bro, I'm looking at some of the bills we'd be having every month, and I'd be like, thank you Jesus that like I can.
Speaker 1: I can do it. And again, I'm not living in no like you know, seven eight bedroom, but I think about what I paid for out here. I'm like, man, I could be down there, brilliant, something really nice. It's good. It's feeling up fast, but it's good. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Oh, Man, I would be there man with Man. I know you've got a lot of stuff going on. Man, I appreciate you coming to hang out with your boy today anytime. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, please keep it keep it going for your fans and for the culture. You know, I'm always one call away my brother for sure. For all the Homies and homegirls.
Speaker 2: Man, y'all make sure y'all can check out the Big Facts podcast what they y'all drop on?
Speaker 1: Bro? You can check that audio out Tuesdays Wednesdays you can watch watch the Visual TV Revolt and Thursdays Thursdays Thursday, seven pm on that YouTube, Big Faction Network YouTube. We're dropping that every Thursday.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, And I wish and we all had the links down there. Man, I appreciate you, bro. Peace and ill y'all next
Speaker 1: Week, all right, so little to you appreciate, You appreciate you, bro, all right, hold on