Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Lieutenant Frank dreb trend from the Police Squad, of the Files of Naked Gun from the Files of Police Squad that always accused me. Yeah, I'm Jack. That over there is Miles.
Speaker 2: Oj was funny, that's right, just by It's true.
Speaker 1: I don't know, he's had a lot of moments. He's hilarious all around.
Speaker 2: Oh man. Yeah, the gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess we can talk about that obviously. We have Super Tuesday updates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll get to those. We'll get to those. We'll get to the Nomember. Take your time, take your time November.
Speaker 1: That's right. But whenever the Naked Gun remake is coming out, please you couldn't get here fast enough.
Speaker 2: No, no, So.
Speaker 1: It's been announced Liam Neeson will be playing Frank Greben, the Liam Leslie Nielsen role. Well, I just realized in that moment how similar their names are and how it almost feels like, yeah, they just associated them.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it's like it started as a rumor a couple of years ago and now we're getting more details. It's Liam Neeson locked in. It's a Kiva Schaeffer from The Lonely Island. I think writing and directing. Seth McFarlane is producing. I you know, I think I think it could be good. Liam Neeson is good at dead pan comedy, but like but but like Frank or you know, Leslie, Nielsen wasn't exactly doing full on dead pan kind of shit. It was still a little zany at the time.
Speaker 1: So it was pretty straight faced though, like I feel it, like, and his pedigree up to the point where he started starring in those movies or the TV show was just that he was a straight faced person. Obviously an airplane and stuff, but like he was the reason they used him was because he was just like a straightforward yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm I'm I love those Naked Gun movies so much that there's part of me can't be like this is gonna be bad, because I really I would want to see this be good.
Speaker 1: Right, But will see, I mean, we'll see. But I guess the question I have is like, does this sensibility of comedy still make sense? Like the first Naked Guns seem pretty timeless to me, but it'll it'll be interesting because they haven't made something successfully with that sort of slapstick. Yeah, surrealist sensibility in a long time, So I'm curious. I'm excited to see what they would have looked like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he I mean, look, he's he's apparently the Chippendales movie that he did Rescue Rangers that people were like, oh shit, was funny. And dude, he did eleven episodes of I Think You Should Leave, So yeah, there's going to be a little bit of that if you're like obs, you know, so we will see. But yeah, over three seasons, Yeah, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: We shall see. Liam Neeson, like the main comedic work we've seen from him is the Ricky Gervais Stephen Merchant. Yeah, Life Too Short?
Speaker 2: Yeah, seeing the improvisational comedy.
Speaker 1: Comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so google that. Yeah, google Liam Neeson improvisational comedy if if you want to taste of what his comedic chops might be like.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, about came twent.
Speaker 1: And it's time to pour one out for Nikki Haley. Yeah, she gone, she gone.
Speaker 2: I mean, she didn't get swept, so there's that she wont Hey there you stronghold shut out Ethan Allen in the Green Mountains. But yeah, and also Dean Phillips I think is also he finally he's like, yeah, all right, y'all time to time to fuck right off into the sunset too.
Speaker 1: That's been my time. They've been giving me the light for the past seven months.
Speaker 2: But Nikki, you know, you did your darndest to unseat Donald Trump, and you tried so hard and you got so far. But in the end it doesn't even matter because you did fuck all to actually differentiate yourself because you tried to be Maga and not Maga at the same time, which is an impossible intellectual feat. And yeah, this is what happens. Wait, but you did. You did siphon a decent amount of voters away from Trump, but obviously not enough to change the momentum of the Maga machine. Yeah that thing is still rolling on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trump about one than five hundred forty one votes one thousand, one million, five hundred and forty one thousand votes. Haley got seven hundred and sixty three thousand votes, So it's not insignificant.
Speaker 2: But how many of those people stick to their you know, guns in November and be like, I'm actually gonna vote third part n I don't I don't think so I don't think so. And I can't see how many Republicans would vote for Joe Biden, but we we shall see. But yeah, she did refuse to endorse Donald Trump, so there's that, and said that he's gonna have to earn her supporters vote. But again, I think this just ends with her on like TV or some revolving door job where she just makes a ton of money. Hey, so you built a brand. You definitely built a brand.
Speaker 1: Nikki Haley. You built a brand. What I'm on day, I'm joining the private equity industry? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Shit? Then also got shit Kirsten Cinema. She's officially also fucking right off into the Arizona sunset. What started as a Democrat and turned into some yirdo obstructionist independent has finally called time on her Senate career. And look, let's be real, like she was her and Joe Mansion did a lot to fuck around with the Senate agenda the beginning of the Biden administration. She did. She did do some good work on gun control. We have to give her that. I was working on closing like the boyfriend loophole where that said, like, you know, if someone who's like a domestic abuser could keep their guns if they weren't married to their partner, so there was work done there. But again, she took a dump on minimum wage hikes and you know, carried interest loopholes for millionaires. You know, she just watered down the Inflation Reduction Act. We were all there for it. So she's off, and that means now it won't be a three horse race for the Senate seat in Arizona. It'll just be Reuben Diego and Carrie Lake. And I believe, I don't. I think carry Lake is is. I don't. She says she's the governor of Arizona and.
Speaker 1: That election was so in from right, so why are we even having the reality difference on that one?
Speaker 2: But hey, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's why the incumbent, Kristen Cinema couldn't couldn't even get enough to like be in the final race.
Speaker 2: I think she knew just because dude, she became so unlikable, you know, and they're like she didn't have money and no one was really fucking with her. Like speech, she's like, you know, like I just need to get out of here, like it's so like toxic, Like I just kind of like can't do this, and it was like a very I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what's going on with you guys.
Speaker 2: You changed, Yeah, exactly, get the fuck out.
Speaker 1: When are the ones who are fucked up?
Speaker 2: Another thing that may be a little bit so also North Carolina, they're they're candidate for governor on the Republican side is homophobic, holocaust andire but he is black and Donald Trump said you're Martin Luther King times too, because yes, Martin Luther King, famous holocausin Ier. So there's that going on. There was also Adam Schiff in his pursuit of die Fi's Senate seat, getting a lot of criticism because he basically elevated former Dodger Steve Garvey as the like, you know, Republican candidate to crowd out like Barbara Lee and Katie Porter. So he could just have like an easy run at a Republican Yeah. The downside to that is you're gonna you're gonna motivate all these Republicans to come vote down ballot. Also with him on there in the Senate race, which means that could put the House majority at risk for I mean, potentially they're rather damp in the chances of the Democrats taking back the House because if Republicans overperform in like California, that could sway things in a wrong way. So a lot of people are like, nice, cynical, fucking tactic, loser.
Speaker 1: It was like millions he was running. It was like an open election, and then the time to vote, getters would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a jungle primary in California. Yeah, top two, no matter what, so it could be two Democrats whatever. But yeah, so he was like, no, no, no, let me pay a ton of money to get Steve Garve. You like had a vapor wear campaign.
Speaker 1: So Steve Harvey's a Republican former Dodger pitcher, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, cool. No first baseman, first base basement.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, one of one of the greats, one of the grade. You are wearing your Dodgers hat, and.
Speaker 2: I am just to big Garbs. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That that is pretty crazy. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. We're back, We're back. All right. New York City almost fully a mill militarized police state at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is wild, the governor saying, putting out over a thousand state troopers, transit workers and members of the New York National Guard will be patrolling the city's subway system to check bags and shit like that and shake people down. The Apparently this is just part of a five point plan to quote increase safety and writer confidence in the subway system, which has fallen victim to high profile crimes in recent months. And I think this is like after the conductor's neck was slashed in Brooklyn and they're saying like, if it were not for a doctor being on that train, the person may have lost their life. So yes, I guess as the crime may be increasing, we all know that the more police and militarized police is not the solution. Wait what Yeah, you just need good guy with night Yeah you get okay, you know it's better than one bad guy in the knife forty five soldiers with guns right shaking people down, knife bag as just a chef. But then exactly through and it's like, you know, I'm going, I'm just on my on my way to my shift over his ship, chef, just a chef, man, leave me alone, and then he cuts you with a credit card like in the glimmer Man. But yeah, this is from what from just some of the stuff I've read, it sounds like maybe social services is probably a better thing to pour into. And we're talking about like crime and things like that.
Speaker 1: Oh social peoples. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just yeah, many people are obviously rightly horrified by this, because what an escalation when you now have like National Guard right and being like bag checks. So that's uh, yeah, it's a slippery slope. Oh we'll see if that if that policy reverse at all. But apparently this is part of a five point plan, man, which is basically it all five I mean, just scare the fuck out of everybody. Yeah, and maybe they'll do less crime. I don't know if I don't know what the research does on that.
Speaker 1: Fortunately New York doesn't have a history of like, you know, doing street level crime initiatives that harm people's civil rights.
Speaker 2: They all go, they all go, well, yeah, they usually go pretty well, we can we can usually trust them ypd Oh yeah yeah, I love a soldier, love a soldier being dispatched to do things in our in our cities too, stop crime. But yeah, hey, that's that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, pharma may be taking some else big farmer yeah, farm.
Speaker 2: Big farm. So they've been basically trying to like because of the Inflation Reduction Act, like and saying they're like, hey, man, like pharmaceutical makers have to come to the able to renegotiate prices. They've been on a fucking legal campaign to try and have like these negotiations be ruled as unconstitutional, and they faced another out now when they're like, nah, dude, we're not We're not buying that. So because of that, they have come to the table. Apparently, according to Xavier Vesera, Department of Health and Human Services announced that it had received first counter offers from pharmaceutical makers for all ten of the drugs that are up for price negotiation. So we will see where that goes. But apparently they're like the fact that they're losing in their effort to not negotiate is I guess slowly bringing them to the negotiating table. So that is that is news that can be seen as positive.
Speaker 1: It feels all feels very Unamerican. Miles, I don't I don't like it. Yeah, these corporations are not getting a fair shake. Corporationist, I know, and they're losing. Kirsten Cinema two champion of the million in billionaires. So yeah, I guess this is just something you're gonna have. You're just gonna have to charge normal prices rather than making billions and billions of dollars. Yeah, because yeah, that's yeah, that's a thing that deserves billions and billions of dollars in profit rather than just being like, I think we should be making drugs that help people for the good of human but whatever, I'm sorry, I'm like, I want some hippie shit.
Speaker 2: Dude, I lost my mind.
Speaker 1: Bro from again on American We're gonna have you looked into by the House on American.
Speaker 2: Activities Committee or whatever? What was that?
Speaker 1: What was a House on American Activities Committee? Was that communists? Was that like the Red Scare?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah? Un American Activities Committee was yes, from nineteen thirty eight, yeah, until I forget where the sixties or something that?
Speaker 1: All right, And finally we got some new hairy styles. Fanfit just dropped got a trailer for a new coom starring Anne Hathaway. It's called The Idea of You, which is basically like notting Hill, but with Anne Hathaway as Hugh Grant and a thinley veiled Harry Styles surrogate instead of Julia Roberts. So it's like, what if ordinary everyday schlub fucked famous person, but the ordinary everyday schlub is Anne Hathway.
Speaker 2: Hathway, Yeah, oh, because Julia Roberts is the celebrity in notting Hill and regular Grant is.
Speaker 1: Just a befuddled dufiss and then he Noting Hill, and then Julia Roberts accidentally fox him and is like whoa actually whoa kind of into you?
Speaker 2: What a pleasant accident? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I actually really liked notting Hill when I saw it. I haven't seen it since.
Speaker 2: I was like, but I feel like that's like one of those rom comms people always say they love.
Speaker 1: Still Yeah, anyways, Anne Hathaway plays a who takes her teenager to see a one direction style band and it ends up hooking up with the lead singer. This is like this premise. I'm like, yeah, no, absolutely this movie. It's one of those premises where I'm like, how does this movie not exist yet?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I guess I tried it with Ewen Wilson recently. Oh Nelson and.
Speaker 2: Jylo marry me, marry me, say yes, dude. That shit was so painful.
Speaker 1: You saw it?
Speaker 2: I remember, Yeah, I watched it. I'm surprised I haven't watched that j Loo art House film yet. I can't bring myself to do it after reading like this Vanity Fair piece about how all of her friends are like, don't make it, Jennifer, are.
Speaker 1: You talking about the Dunkin Donuts commercial with Ben Affleck? Is that the j Loo art House film that you're talking about? No, dude, were you there when we talked about it?
Speaker 2: How She's like, it looks like a gigantic Gucci ad, but no, it's like about like in her like love life, and it's like this like like fucking what's his face? Neil de grasse Tyson is in it, like sad Guru, the YouTube fucking spiritual guy. There's a bunch of weird ass cameos in it. It's not yeah, yeah, yeah, it's not. Many people are talking about it, so don't think it had quite the effect. But she's like, I have to do this for me. This is an expression of my experience in an artistic way. And you're like, dude, you have too much money and too many people. But apparently, I guess not enough people telling you no, because it sounded like a lot of her people around her are like, you probably shouldn't do this, probably shouldn't do this, don't do it?
Speaker 1: Did she direct it? Is that like the idea?
Speaker 2: I mean she wrote it for sure, like it's all entirely from her mind.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I kind of have to see this now, you no, Like it's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty wild, Like I mean, I don't think people are like fully tearing it down. It's just like one of those things people aren't talking about at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So this movie with Anne Hathaway kind of has like gone away a little bit, like hasn't been in stuff for a little while and now is returning playing a mother of a teenage daughter.
Speaker 2: Whoa.
Speaker 1: But it's based on a book that was rumored to have originated as Harry Styles fanfic. So somebody like wrote a book that was like and then I go to a Harry Styles concert and.
Speaker 2: Just like.
Speaker 1: Wow, Harry Styles sees me in the crowd, and uh, it's on from that point forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's funny because like all the one direction fans are just like analyzing it like forensically, and they're like, oh yeah, these are all nods to one d yep, yep, sure it all here at the look at the tattoos, look at the the looks that they're doing the costumes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I appreciate that the Harry Styles fans like turned it into a bestseller, which just like shows support amongst them. You know, they're rather than being like this is exploiting Harry and like our fandom, they're like, nah, we all want to fuck him and like, thank you for doing this book where we get to live out the fantasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So because what Anne Hathaway, she's forty one? Okay, so now that Hollywood has deemed her mother now.
Speaker 1: Mother Yeah, and not in the fun way, but maybe maybe in the fun way. I've I've he heard on a film podcast that I listened to blank Check they were saying that they have like one of one of them is a film critic and has got to like screen an upcoming Anne Hathway picture that they're like, that's Dan Hathaway is going to have a big twenty twenty four. So all right, watching first?
Speaker 2: Do you they.
Speaker 1: Didn't get Harry Styles to play Harry Styles in this would have been the thing that would have made this a massive hit.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine he's like trying to have a serious career, and it's like, fuck it, dude, let me just let me just kind of change the creative momentum mirror and just do a very like tongue in cheek like yeah to me, Harry Styles as Harry Styles.
Speaker 1: I mean, Hayes Campbell if that's a fuck boy name for sure, Hayes Campbell, Hayes Campbell, fus, you gotta watch out for that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, watch out, dude, He'll fucking take your mom.
Speaker 1: And halfway watch out, guard your moms. Hayes Campbell's coming to town playing three nights at SOFI has sold out.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck, good luck to the fanfic. I hope it renders many fans happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but uh, fifty Shades of Gray started as fanfic as a Twilight fanfic.
Speaker 2: So oh oh someone to be tied up by Edward or some shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, like somebody was writing the thing about Twilight. That's it's very approachable. You read that ship and you're like, well, I could certainly write this because yeah, there's some wild, wild passages in that. But and so somebody wrote a like steamier more uh, sexually explicit uh, Twilight, and then it was so popular that they just like changed the characters names and it became fifty shades. Well, so there you go. Fanfic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, zeit gang, please write the fans. Ship Jack and I together about two podcast co hosts who fall in love and leave their families to go on their Their one thing they realized you want to do is sail around the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, man, just on the four and a half hours please four and a half hour long film.
Speaker 2: Lots of just three hours.
Speaker 1: Create on U. I want to be played by Chris Hemsworth or like you know, someone similarly built.
Speaker 2: I would play by Lil Yachty Emsworth, Yeah, Emsworth YACHTI also named Miles I found out, so I think it will Yeah, and also named after a boat, which is where takes place when the boat is a rockin'. Just just look the other way, folks. Two podcasters doing them all right.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Wednesday afternoon. We are back tomorrow with a whole lass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy.
Speaker 2: Get it to time.
Speaker 1: We will talk to you all tomorrow by