Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Ladies and Gentlemen. What's up, Ladies and gentlemen? Fuck it, man, let's just let's just start talking. Go no, I'll say that this is another episode. I remember who I am. My name is quest Love.
Speaker 2: This is Quest Love Supreme. We have the Supreme team with us Sugar Steve.
Speaker 1: On paid Bill. Why yeah, you look a little different today. Yeah, well, you know, just don't say nothing. Don't say nothing the song. Now, we don't do theme songs on the zoom.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So, ladies and gentlemen, this is a special Quest Love Supreme. This conversation, in my opinion, is probably six to seven years overdue.
Speaker 1: I first met our guest of the show maybe like.
Speaker 2: Two months after his memoir set The Boy Free was released, and I distinctly remember my guitarists in the Roots, Captain Kirk Douglas A say hello, Captain Kirk there, what's up? He had asked me if I read the book at the time, and at that time I didn't, and with great intensity, you know, Kirk was like, dude, you gotta get him on the show.
Speaker 1: Like he's tailor made for a nerd.
Speaker 2: Haven like Quest Love Supreme, And I remember my response to Kirk was, wait, you listened to Quest Love Supreme? And actually he was right because around the pandemic when I went on my book reading rabbit Hole, I'll say that his book was probably one of the few non self help books I used to escape whatever it was that twenty twenty was. And Kurt couldn't have been more right. The musicianship of our Guest has kind of been the sonic lighthouse or north star to many guitarist or songwriter. You'll be pressed to find any band at least worth their grain of salt that has been formed that at least you know, doesn't name check our Guest as a major influence on their creativity. Of course, he has most notably co founded The Smiths, but he has played and collaborated with such luminaries as of course Modest Mouse. I have so many questions about you and Portland like my all time favorite self right, the Pretenders, of course the Cribs, his supergroup with Bernard Summer and Pet Shop Boys.
Speaker 1: Neil Tennant has worked with Beck, Crowded.
Speaker 2: House, the Avalanches, even the The I Love Saying the and of course.
Speaker 1: Bragg Billy Bragg, Billy Bragg.
Speaker 2: And of course also just work with Don Zimmer and Pharrell and the uh the scoring of inception. I will say, like his his haunting, our pageo kind of guitar texture pretty much is defined a generation, and we're giving the honor to have a musician talk a musician rant.
Speaker 1: If you will, with the rift.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's gone now he wait too long.
Speaker 1: Intro was too long. He was like, fuck it, I'm out my guitar collection. He's back. All right, We're good, No, for real, we're We're.
Speaker 2: Happy to nerd out with iconic songwriter, author, guitarist, producer Johnny mar The quest left supreme.
Speaker 4: Thank you, it was so nice. Thank you very much, really great to see you again.
Speaker 1: Thank you What are you doing man?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 1: Were you speaking to us? Now? Where is this?
Speaker 4: Thank you for all that quest love. That was lovely to hear all all those friends of mine being mentioned. I'm in the studio that's in my house. I have kind of a big main studio I've had for a number of years. And then the funny thing. I don't know whether you guys to relate to this as musicians, but I did this thing where after years of having a pretty comprehensive home studio. When I moved out and I moved into this kind of old factory building in twenty sixteen, I ran around to everybody saying, I've seen the light. Get out of your house in the morning, drive to work, go and do your day's work. Drive home. Don't you know, get out of the house, don't we'll have a home studio. Well, now I have two studios. I have one in the house and I have one in a separate building. But this room was kind of modeled on one of the rooms that I was working with when I work with Hans In. I just had a spare room in the househouse isn't particularly big, but with technology being the way is these days, you can have a pretty decent mixing room. So I spend all the time that I'm supposed to be at home with the family a sort of spending this room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I always wondered about that because I'm currently you know, I waited three decades to do my first real purchase. If you will, I guess the only idiom I can use is I'm debating on whether or not I should ship where I eat, and I know the home studio is sort of a factor in many a creative's live but part of me is also has the option to put the studio outside of the house, so that way, my house is my house and my studio is my studio.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think the rule of thumb really is if I don't know now, I like the discipline of getting out and got work and there are a fewer distractions. This might sound obvious, but I think if you've got the choice of having your main proper workplace away from the house, I think that's better for the work I do. If you can do that, if you're fortunate enough, because I think it gives you that kind of window of time when you want to because look, we're all human, as inspired as we may be, you know, I know sometimes you get into these crazy deadlines and twelve hour, fourteen hour whatever days. I've in that window of time when your subconsciousness is saying I need to make these decisions now because I'm going to get in the car and drive home at nine o'clock, nine pm or whatever it is, and try and be like a human being. I think that's good for the work.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm pandering it. It's not silence. I keep forgetting this a podcast, So I have to.
Speaker 1: The sound of thinking. It's the sound of thinking. I'm like, hmmm, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I think I have a concern and a fear that if I put my studio on the scene place that I live. Then you know, I have boundary issues when it comes to personal life versus work, and I kind of enjoy this thing where they're far apart.
Speaker 1: But you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm that is what I'm saying. I think it's better to work away from your house. Yeah, as a real as a rule of thumb, but I think that thing. Don't mean to be presumptuous, but that thing of what you you know, your term boundary issues. Has just been a musician, been a musician of a certain type. I've been very fortunate in my personal life in that my family. I've been with my wife since we were kids, and you know, my family and the way they just kind of get on board. They wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 1: Sometimeline. Yeah, they got.
Speaker 4: To just in case they might be listening to this. I mean, you mentioned Portland earlier, but that's a good example. When I when I joined that was a whole surprising episode and the way that went down. But that was me following a musical hunch and when Isaac brought from the band inviting me over there, and you know, I did what I did. I did the grown up version of what I did when I was a teenager, which was falling with a bunch of people who were strangers. But it sort of felt like there's got nothing to do with the fact that they were a big band and I was known that managers weren't involved or any of that. I was studying a room with a bunch of strangers three thousand miles away, and we found myself making music that felt really good that I couldn't identify the one band. You know, It's like when you're a musician, you can hear you can hear bands, and you can hear their influences. You know, you can hear a certain band and you go, you go, Okay, well, the singer's doing Tom York or she's doing Shaka Khan, or the bass players doing Flea or why you know whatever. You can hear these influences and it's all good. But with Modest Mouse, I had no idea where they were coming from, and I got the invitation from Isaac and it was enigmatic and kind of a funny kind of invitation, and I said, okay, well we'll go. I'll go over there as an experiment for ten days and it was a whole of the story. But it went really gangbusters straight out the gate when we started writing, and it was inspired and I've got enough about me and know when it's really happening. But to get back to the point, I found myself just really loving what we were doing musically. I've had no idea what to call this music or any frame of reference. It just made me feel good in the way that when you're fifteen you kind of go, I don't know what it is we're doing, but it feels good. It really was like that. But my family were getting off on my enthusiasm. You know. My wife was like, well, Johnny's buzzing. He's calling me from Portland and you know, he's digging the place, and I'm hearing about all this music they're making. And I was sending over. My son was a fan of the band, and they heard my enthusiasm and they were kind of like, Okay, this is what we're doing for now. Then, so my life sort of, I guess because the people that I'm involved with and because it's my living. You know this, when we get back to this idea work life boundaries, I try to live, you know, as an older person a little bit more humanely now and you know, not be too crazy. I mean, you know, not be too sleep deprived. But everything we do is led by the music and what I'm doing really by by what Dad is doing and he's doing. So I'm very, very fortunate that I don't really the work life balance thing. Work is my life.
Speaker 2: So since you brought it up so to hear you explain it, you were just to do a limited maybe a week and a little bit a week and a half of work with Modest Mouse, and you liked it so much you became a permanent couch guest in there proverbial a matter of work all house and join the band.
Speaker 4: An easier way to answer that question is that it was so intense by the time we'd written nineteen tracks and gone to Mississippi, made an album and we've become like this tight gang, it just would have been too weird to quit. There was a brotherhood, you know, you go through this project so a ten days turned into months because I knew it was happening. I was like, well, this is a really interesting collection of people. The guys in the band and the people around the band were making a really good noise. We all like each other straight off, and this brotherhood happened. And this is What's happened in a few bands that I've been in that there was exactly the same. And from the outside it may look like I you know, I've I've joined the band, I've quitted band. But I'm more of a serial joiner than I am a serial quitter because those projects, when you get involved with people in your an album, you get so invested and you talk about it so much, and you're on the phone talking about the tracks, and you're getting together and you're caring about it so much. By the time we finished recording The Modest Mouse album, I was still a guy from England, but it just would have been too weird to bail. I just wanted to see it through and I cared about the songs. I cared about the guys, I cared about about the record, and I cared about how it was going to go.
Speaker 2: When I was in you guys started in Mississippi and then you ended up in Portland or.
Speaker 4: No, we got started in Portland, and it was it got off to such a good start from the very first night with writing songs and jamming, which is something I don't really do with a lot of people. I always make it made a conscious decision when I was maybe fifteen in nineteen seventy nine. Jamming for me was standing in a really damp cellar with a bunch of dudes who would smoke too much trash stuck on the one chord and like for like twenty five minutes. That helped my songwriting because I then sort of said, Okay, note to self, when you come to practice tomorrow, bring a couple of riffs, or bring some chord changes, or bring a direction. And then that sort of fell on me then too, and it helped me out as a songwriter. Was I mean, I love writing songs, but it was kind of a bit of a practical thing too. So I can jam with people, but as I said, in my career, haven't really been called on to do that too much. But in modest Mouse, where it's collective, like six people happened to be six guys in that band with really different influences. Each member of the band would thought they were doing and thought the band was something different and so inspired.
Speaker 2: And that's a good thing because in my mind that's like my worst nightmare because you mentioned that if the bass player thinks that, Okay, I'm Larry Graham or Flee and I don't speak guitar language, and I know that your your texture and your tone is like probably like the most respected in the game. So I you know, that's kind of why I wanted Kirk to be on this episode, because you know, I I didn't even know it to your book that gretch made guitars, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Quest That is such a drummist thing to say.
Speaker 2: Are you saying Gretz was a guitar first before it is a drum Pretty sure it was.
Speaker 1: I think it's where I'm finding that out.
Speaker 4: That's really funny. Hey. Also, yeah, I hate to break it to you, but Zilchin made Banjos.
Speaker 1: I'm joking episode over, that's.
Speaker 5: Pretty cheap, Yabahavi speed both.
Speaker 2: I assume that if you're in the room that you're kind of the the alpha only because you know the band that you're you're most loved in your journey. Yeah, sort of never used like you were anti Well I don't know if you guys were anti synthesizer or whatever, but a lot of the weight fell on you as far as melodic and texture and tone.
Speaker 1: Do you often feel as though you have to be the.
Speaker 2: Alpha in terms of like determining where the melody goes or the musical direction.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting to use that term. Well, as you'll know, the chemistry of bands is both musical and personal, and i'd almost say, particularly in high pressure situations or bands a were big, maybe the personal chemistry is maybe even as important as the musical chemistry. So my role in all the bands have been in has usually been the same and in a way I think, on the one hand, alpha is an interesting way describing it, but my role is to let the singers think that they're off about really I'm running it.
Speaker 1: Real leaders are Jedi mind triggers, listen.
Speaker 4: I learned that from all the women in my life very early on.
Speaker 1: Where they make you feel like you're the leader.
Speaker 4: And I saw it with all the older women in my life, these great, absolutely great women, and the guys knew it. By that, I mean I have a very I really care a lot. I mean, I don't try to train myself as a saint, but I bring a lot of enthusiasm, enthusiasm to it and a lot of energy to it, and you know, and I really do give a shit. And obviously The Smiths is the most notable because I formed that band, and you know, we've gone on to be very well, well loved and everything, which is obviously amazing. But I'm happy with my role in all the bands that I have been in, which is in a way, is that the great enabler if I can be. And I have such respect for the craft and the talent of the front men and women that I've been involved because I learned so much from being in the Pretenders with Chrissy Hind. It was a short stint between eighty eight and ninety one, but I learned so much about front in a band from Chrissy. But the singers that I've worked with, you know, also I grew up in the time in the mid seventies. I was getting a lot of my ideas together about what a guitarist was. And you learned so much from there was an archetype, if you like. I mean, I know in the States there's the archetype to say, Joe Perry and Steven Tyler, or there's you know over here there's like maybe Jimmy Page or and Robert plant in the rock vibe. Right, It's the same the world over with guitarists, you know, without getting too cliched, a lot of musicians are a type. It suits. A lot of the bass players I know are very similar. A lot of the drummers I know have quite similar personalities. They go crazy if they've got nothing to do. You know, if you give a guitar player, like a you know, a couple of days off with a movie camera, suddenly he's making his arty movie, you know. So I was very typical of that, and I just worked very well with certain kind of singers, obviously Morrissey being one, Matt Johnson, Isaac Brock. I mean, there must be something in it because I've done it with so many of them, and I learned so much about them. But I was so serious. I took it. I took the business of my apprenticeship trying to form a rock band or be in little bands. When I was a kid fourteen fifteen, sixteen seventeen, I mean, I left school, I left high school early to be in a band with adults when I was fifteen. I took it so seriously that a lot of the lessons I was trying to learn when I was a teenager proved to be correct. You know, a lot of stuff that I said that I was learning before this, myths, you know, I was studying, like, serve the song, the sing is the most important thing. Lock in as a rhythm player with the drummer, and make the bass player fit in, don't sit on top. These are all things that served me. I was right to study that stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about that. Can you recall from me what your very first musical memory was?
Speaker 4: I can, yeah, it was. So. My parents were very young when I was born, at seventeen. My mother was seventeen, I think eighteen maybe, and they came over from Ireland in the early sixties, and they are absolute music freaks, record freaks. They were teenage record freaks from Ireland and they loved rock and roll music. And my mother comes from a family of fourteen and nearly all of them moved over to the city for work, to Manchester. So I was around a lot of very passionate, highly spirited, hard living, you know, young music freaks. Well, certainly my earliest musical memory is watching my mother and my dad's sister play a forty five like fifteen times over and over again, and luckily for me, I had guitar on it. It was the Everly Brothers record. But watching these two young women stand at a record player and just play it with this joy and I was sat on the floor with his joy and then play it again and then again. And then I kind of grew up with that. And my mother and father are still still around now. If I go around to the house now, I have to build in an extra forty minutes because I know my mother's going to be showing me these songwriters on YouTube that she's really into. So I grew up in I grew up around that kind of musical obsession.
Speaker 1: Really, what did your record collection like?
Speaker 4: Oh? It was pretty good, you know. So. The thing is the great thing about the household record collection was that my friends, who were from more same middle class English families, they had kind of books. I realized this when I put out my You mentioned Myles guitars before, I remember that I had got my friend's houses and then they would have these the Great Big Book of Mercedes and English country gardens and architecture. Well, in my house we had records. So my parents were into They were into a lot of country music. They're into like people like George Jones, a lot of the Nashville thing. But then there was the pop music, like bands like the British bands like the Hollies, and they liked they liked Elvis Presley and that was a real Irish thing, you know, from the country, So there was a lot of that kind of It was all American except for some of the pop music that was coming out of Manchester. So it was all about buying records, which was a real working class thing, and then I got into buying forty five's when in the UK what we call glam rock is a little different from what the Americans are called glam rock. That's kind of hair metal and the la scene. But in the UK it was all the early ce Rex yeah, exactly, t Rex Bowie, Sparks, not the whop all of that.
Speaker 5: Why was Manchester such a hot bed? I just got back from there two days ago and it's a very funny and interesting city. But why was Manchester such a nexus?
Speaker 4: Well, the Industrial Revolution happened here in the eighteen nineties and that made it a very industrial city. So you had lots of industrial buildings and mills and factories. So you can compare Manchester to two places or three places in the United States, Seattle, because of the climber and the size of it, and the fact that there's been a couple of music movements.
Speaker 1: Out of there.
Speaker 4: But it's very like Detroit. It feels like Detroit. It's very blue collar or was, and a lot of people. So because of the Industrial Revolution, loads of people of all different ethnicities and nationalities came here for work. So there's a massive immigrants scene. There's a huge Jewish community, there's a Caribbean community, there's an Asian community, a lot of people came from India, a ton of Irish people, which makes it have that kind of Chicago Boston vibe as well. So all of these people had their own entertainment. So in the sixties, Manchester had more clubs per capita than any other city in Europe. So there was comedians, there was bands, there was the beat movement, and it was a place that all the bands, you know in the swinging sixties, well, you know, you had everyone You've got Cream and Jimmy Hendrix and Brian Auger and whoever. And before that the jazz scene and the blues scene. It was the second place everybody came after London because there was so many different It was so diverse and working class. So you know, Sunn Terry and Brandon McGee came in the early sixties and that was a game changer. And the famous footage of sister Rosetta Tharps standing on the train station that and in Manchester and then the Blue Yeah, and then the Blues boom, and it goes way back before Oasis even.
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 2: And I guess you can also ask this or not ask this, Kirk, but answer this because in my mind I was told that, you know, the lead guitarist is sort of a singular string thing and rhythm guitarist is more about the rhythm and chord wise. But were you at your essence consider yourself in terms of your guitar work, And also wanted to know, like in early Smith shows before you added a second guitarist, like how would you figure out the vision of labor inside yourself because obviously, like a lot of your work, you have to overdub chords on top of chords and parts on top of parts.
Speaker 4: So okay, yeah, it's a good question. Well, I for the lo longest time because I was I grew up primarily in the seventies, so I was eighteen, I was nineteen. I think when I formed the Smiths, I was eighty two, So you know, I think of myself as a seventies kid, you know. So I learned to play guitar by playing along with forty five's like the old way, and my little brother, who was nine years younger when he was a toddler, his job was to put his finger on the record to slow it down, which he loved that. So I learned play from records, and of course I had pals who were in bands, and I was in bands, and then I went through that phase work we all did, where we're all listening out for guitar solos and we're listening to rock music and all of that. But why I mention this too, because this is why, for the longest time I thought myself as a pop guitar player, because the pop music for me meant he's real, banging, great breath died quite quirky, eccentric, forty five's. Of course I love all kinds of music, but that was my introduction to it. And I still the way those records were put together and that the guitars were on those records by the Suite and on Roxy Music, they're unexpected and they're kind of hooky, and they're dazzling and they're really exciting. So I always harnessed that, and in a sense, quite often the studio I still do, especially when I'm listening to playback and I'm wondering what I'm going to do with overdubs, I think that's my job, hooks and preferably something a little unexpected. So it's not about playing amazing scales or solos or anything like that. It's making these, like in my way forty fives. So then when I came to start being able to put my own bands together, say fifteen sixteen, and certainly write my own songs. So this was the late seventies, a new wave was starting to happen. I realized that quite a lot of other guitar my friends, who some of them were great, great guitar players, A few of them they would listen to. Whoever it was, Jimmy Page or Bert janch or you know whoever in my case now Rogers. But they were listening to this and they'd want to play like that, whereas I wanted to play like the whole record. I would play the whole record, so the whole big picture. So I kind of approached the guitar. I didn't go, this is what a guitar does. I kind of went, what does this record need, We'll do it on the guitar. That's why there's all like high lifey riffs.
Speaker 1: High life like afridin Feeler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like Armi Man's like a really you know, like that was pointed out to me, but I wasn't doing that because I was trying to. Later on, I got really into King Sunny a Day and people like that, But that was only because people told me I sounded like that. But if you listen to all the overdubs that were being done, the overdubs that were being done, that was me sort of trying to go, oh, well, that would be a string part, or that would be a piano part, or that would be So that was stuff that I learned off these glam rock records that I try to do on the guitar. So I'm very lucky that accidentally. You know, I can talk about this now like fifty years later, because you know, I've had plenty of time to think about it and you start to know yourself better. But at the time I was just that was the way I learned to play, trying to play like a forty five, trying to do everything, not just being in my lane. So I would hear these melodies backing up the vocal or intros and stuff like that, and I would just go, how do I do that on the guitar because we didn't have a keyboard player, so that was my approach. And then because it worked, I guess now that I'm older, if I do sessions with people, really that's what people want me to do. You know, it's one thing being at a describe it. That doesn't make it say you can automatically do it. But for quite a number of years in my thirties and forties, I think maybe I was trying to kick against that a little bit or do something different to that. But then when I got old old, I went, you know, what's kind of cool to have a thing that people know you for. I'm all right with that now, and if people you know, if I get invited to play on someone's track, I think I know kind of what they want me to bring really, and it's not like they just want me to play, oh you know, make it sound like what difference does it make? Or make it sound like this German Man, but they do want something that you notice, maybe.
Speaker 2: You're almost first out the gate on most of the songs that you're on between your groups and your production like, so I would imagine that even in concert, like the second you hit a chord, it's almost like an immediate explosion of you know what I mean. So, yeah, when you're working with the artists and they're enlisting you, does it ever get awkward in terms of them getting you to be so derivative of a sound that.
Speaker 4: I think because everyone I've worked with almost by none I've been a fan of. So there've been someone, let's you know, someone who is really cool. Oh, I think he's dead cool Beck or Billie Eilish or Matt Johnson. I mean, I've done a lot of sessions, but generally, you know, I mean there's been a few different times when things have happeneding for different reasons, you know, I've happened to be in the studio with someone or whatever, and I don't really know them. But generally, when I've been invited to play with people, I guess the answer. You know what. Question of the answer is, I can't. I think they're kind of too cool to say that. But now I'm older, I kind of go. I want to deliver what they what they want. I think the main thing, though, is like when I was talking earlier about some of the lessons that I learned as a kid, this thing of being appropriate to the song. I know with you guys as musicians you go well obviously, but actually, in guitar culture in the in nineteen seventy six, thirteen year old guys didn't give a shit about being appropriate to the song. A thirteen year old year old guitar players did not give too shits about the song. It was like, how quick when do I get to be loud and as fast as I can possibly be? So when I came across that from reading a couple of musicians, I was like, huh, okay. So when I do sessions now, I think I'm trying to find the balance now of being there and delivering something that is noticeable, because sometimes in the past. Maybe twenty years ago, I got too shy, maybe my ego got too small even or maybe I was insecure or paranoid, or in the last twenty years or twenty years ago, maybe in my thirties or something. I did plenty of stuff where I was just playing too down. I was just being too look. So when I did Inception, I'd worked a one movie before in the late eighties, Dennis Hopper movie called Colors, which was amazing with her behind. I didn't score it. I played on it, Okay, yeah, with Charlie Drayton.
Speaker 1: Ya.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, that was the first movie thing that I did, which was amazing, and because I really loved the movie, blah blah blah. But anyway, you've done that. But Inception was the first real big movie that I was working on. And get back to the point, I think Ann Zimmers said to me, after a couple of days, you've been too reverential to the score. We need it to be more. You play a bit more out, be a little bit more ego, if you like. And I was being a little bit too careful. That's what I mean that. So these days now I've tried to think the most recent Yeah, so The most recent I think record that came out was what I did on Noel Gallagher's last album, which is a great album. I love playing with no because Nole is forward thinking and it kind of answers your question really because he wants me to do my thing and be recognizable, but also he knows I will also want to do something. I don't want to just be a throwback to forty years ago. But on his record, I delivered something which really stands out. I'm not saying it's amazing. I'm just saying it jumps out from the track. It doesn't sound like another one of his band members. So these days I'm kind of more comfortable in my own skin, really.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad you brought that up because I get this a lot whenever I'm playing with someone that I feel really doesn't look under the hood to see what it is that I'm known for, because I'm known for underplane like I'm known for. I'm not saying hiding in plain sight, but you know, for what drummers are doing now, which is basically look mino hands.
Speaker 1: All over the place.
Speaker 2: They'll usually say like now, man, have fun with it, and I know part of them is missing factor, and I'm trying to tell them like, I'm not known for I'm known for the pocket. So yeah, I mean, obviously, if Hans hires you, then he knows your work and knows that your chord structures your tone. Yeah, that that is what really makes you you, and that you've not been you know, eruption level fireworks when you know, how do you handle it or do you just rise to the occasion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I you know, I rose to the occasion, I think, And essentially I think, do you know what I think? That says more about Hans than it does about me. He's just a really, really nice guy. And he kind of gave me that direction where he realized that, look, you know, this is Johnny's first big movie, and he's been too polite once he gave me that permission off a when And then there was a couple of other movies where like on this the Spider Man movie, we were working on the music for that for a couple of weeks, and I mean a lot a bunch of us all doing different stuff, and I just came up with a riff that unlocked the whole thing. I didn't know it, it was just it was a Wednesday, and we were all trying to come up with stuff, and I thought lots of music was being made, but that was because of what he told me to do an inception, which was be you and turn up, be you and be loud. But still, if we come back to it's interesting what you were saying about your approach, I'd call that just being tasteful. And there does come a point where you kind of go, hey, look, I can do all of this. Joe Boat your stuff. While I'm on the subject, So guitar culture is changing. It's always changing and always evolving. I love guitar technology and I love new guitar players, but TikTok and I don't know whether it's the same for drums, but TikTok and Instagram is really changing a big part of guitar culture. And you've got these like amazing children sat in their bedrooms just being crazy, absolutely amazing, and it's kind of mind blowing without sounding like some old git about it. Though. I do wonder if the trick is to sit in a room with three other people playing and make it sound like music, and because that is just such a solo activity, playing as flash as you like, I like stuff that sounds like a group. There's a place for that, and I applaud it. But my I get I don't know whether the values is too much of a pompous way of saying it, but I have my I do have my values, and a lot of my values were as all of us, it kind of baked into you when you're starting out. I got to play some in my life now where I want to keep evolving and I'm working, you know, thinking about my next record, and you crossed your fingers that you've got to be inspired. And it's always quite a big journey. And as I've said, you know, my family get involved. It's a big deal. But I don't repeat myself. But I kind of like the values that I've got, you know. I like the way my band sound. We have a very and I think that's something that comes with age. It's not about success, it's about doing it for a long time. You go. You know, I don't I don't know. I want to evolve, but I don't really know whether I want to. I don't need to be TikTok, you know, I just don't. It'd be nice to be on there and all that, but yeah, well, thank you, But I think a lot of it is to do with your own personal taste and maybe you can call that values or it's just what you're into you, you know. But luckily for me with what I do, I said before that I used to describe myself as a pop musician in the smid stays and electronic and I've played a lot with pet Shop Boys and they like that. I'm a guitarist who likes pop music. But I have to say, in the last sort of ten years, in this genrefied world, that you can't escape genres. I now even I can hear that pop definitely sounds like something else. Now pop really does sound like a certain thing, So I have to then if I have to put a label on it, I'm going to go the easy route and say what I do is I'm a rock musician. Well, I'm okay with I used to be okay with being a pop musician because I liked the eccentricity of all those records that I grew up trying to play.
Speaker 6: Full Disclosure when You're the Guitar Player article came out, I believe it was in nineteen eighty nine. The black and white cover that was kind of a bible for me, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, what was in it that spoke to you?
Speaker 3: Kirk a lot of.
Speaker 6: The influences that I didn't know what he was talking about. But then it was also coincided with the time that I started to rummage through my parents' record collection. So when I saw you mentioning things like Fat Back Band, when I saw you mentioning things like Bahannan, when I, you know, talking about Chic, I remember thinking at the time, I'm seventeen years old at the time, thinking like that don't sound like some and then I'm realizing certain things like you know, jump out, you know. First time I heard King Sonny a day like mentioned was in that article and highlight realized like, what the hell's highlight guitar?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: And then I started to hear all of that in the Smith's music, like in This Charming Man and everything, and just how it's all coming from trying to replicate multiple instruments. But it seems like it's all from the Smith's days, well, your collaborative days with all the different projects, and then with your solo stuff. It seems like you've just created like a nice bed of influences to draw from. So to say, I'm a rock musician. I guess for simplify things, but it's so all over the map.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks Kirk, Yeah, I think you're right. It does feel a little reductive. I think maybe of it it's because of what pop now is. I have to just oh my and go pop now, as we know, it is a different if you talk to a twenty two year old person, it's it's not what I'm talking about, but that article you talk you talked about it's interesting because you know, I mean me and you we played together. You got up and played with us in Brooklyn that time. Is so cool and and but I know we know each other. Like whatever was that now more than thirty years ago to talk to another guitarist that I know about that article, because I got so much shit for that article in the United States.
Speaker 7: Really, oh man, why yeah?
Speaker 6: It was so great though, because you tell it was well.
Speaker 4: No, it's so nice. So now thirty years later to hear that it landed because well, for those very things that I was talking about, Like, there are a lot of rock guitar plays, well, I guess you call them shredders now, but back then there was a whole load of people who a lot of the guitar playing community in America at that time, may possibly in Europe as well. I guess we're very conservative. They didn't like what I was saying. No, total, I'm curious.
Speaker 6: There's an There was an in Vay Molmstein comment and oh yeah, I think people like in Bay Molmstein should be forgotten as soon as possible.
Speaker 4: That was a quote, Oh look, I just okay, total disclaimer that well no, no disclaimer, that is a sound that someone uh, just being a little rude.
Speaker 1: What's incredible.
Speaker 6: No, but what's incredible is looking back exactly. But I'm seventeen then, so I guess you're twenty Seven's what's amazing. You're reading an article like this and like, this is a grown man talking.
Speaker 4: That's in my mind.
Speaker 6: And then it's like, but it's a twenty seven year old and now being the age that I'm at now, Yeah, that was a kid in that article, and it was an attitude that needed to be heard at the time, with the type of guitar playing that around was so yu big with us, it needed to be said.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, I think I was, well, what it was, I was I knew it was going to be a big story, and I think I was. I was, as we say in Manchester, I was on one right, you know, I was kind of on I ad an attitude. I didn't walk around with loads of attitude, but I had an attitude in that moment because I was maybe a little bit too bluntly talking about what I was opposed to, and I was trying to make a point. Hey it worked. I think people people got my point, and I think I think I was called the anti hero. Then, you know, it's an interesting thing. Look, hey, the guitarists are not. It was amazing when this when the Smiths arrived in the United States, we arrived at eighty five tour and so were the tour was sold out. We'd been known and doing pretty well. We were a big enough band in the UK and getting kind of well known in the States. So we weren't we haven't busted into the charts or anything, but we were. You know, we're playing the Fox Theater in Detroit, I remember, and we're playing the Arragon in Chicago. So we were playing at maybe two and a half thousand and three thousand people, and then on the West Coast some bigger crowds and stuff. So we arrived with an audience. It's kind of interesting because our audience they were kind of like get us, and there was all these kids who were like they were given us this thing. Wow, you've liberated. I didn't know what a jock was until that tour of nineteen eighty five, and then when I was meeting fans and they were like, yeah, we hate the jocks too, We're really anti jock. You guys really pissed the jocks off. And I was like, what's it, jock? But I'd say there was a movement of bands. It wasn't just a Smith. I think depeche Mode did that, and The Cure did that, New Order Echo and the Bunny Man. So we were part of this wave of British boys mostly who and it was cool.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I look back on that now and I think, oh, that was so sweet. You know. I liked playing too. I like playing to those kids because I was a kid myself. I was twenty one or something, so it was all new to me. I couldn't obviously, I'm going to say what all British musicians have been saying since the fifties. I couldn't wait to get to America. Wow, and then that we had these people who wanted to look like us, and then kids wanting may who were trying to play guitar like me, and stuff that blew my mind. But I was very nervous being a guitar player because I have a huge part of it. I used to get so nervous before shows because I did because of the guitar culture. I thought, these people America is not going to get me. This is coming back to I'm remembering the mindset when I did that article, because they asked me to do that article you're talking about beyond the cover of the first it was the last one of the decade or the first one, and I was like, I don't know whether guitar playing America understands me.
Speaker 1: What was the makeup of the audience? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was well in America, it was. It was kind of more mixed than you would imagine.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm so glad you said that, and still is the sport, right, So I found out. You know, people that listen to the show, of course know my worship of the production work of Jade Dillar. And when I first started working with Jay Diller, like around ninety seven. I was really amazed at how like.
Speaker 1: A big part of my.
Speaker 2: Expansive musical vocabulary, you know, I mean it was prevalent in the household because you know, I grew up with a sister that listened to rock and alt music and all that stuff, and you know, my dad liked yat rock, and so I got everything out of my two.
Speaker 1: Parents and my sister.
Speaker 2: I realized that in Detroit there's a black radio station that had a show by a DJ called the Electric Fine Mojo, and the Electrifying Mojo was open format to the bone, like if it had a texture that touched him, he would play it, you know. And again, Funkadelic's from Detroit, so they would sometimes do straight up rock shit, and you know, it wasn't like now where it's just like it has to be funk or rap.
Speaker 1: Or you know, he could play whatever.
Speaker 2: And they were trying to explain to me one day, they were singing, Ah, I forget which album of yours Dylan was trying to sample.
Speaker 4: Maybe it Meet his Murder. Maybe that was a big album in America.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was Charming Man or whatever whatever it was. He had it and I was like, Yo, what do you know about this shit? And he hit me.
Speaker 1: To the fact.
Speaker 2: And later I got tapes where I would listen to, you know, someone would record four hours of the Mojo Show, and for the life of me, I couldn't get how some of the most gangster ass motherfuckers from like Detroit when suddenly if you were put on you Guys or depeche Mode or New Order, yeah, like they would just go creat and start singing it like off the top. And I was wondering, like, how did Mojo DJing in the Midwest, if you will, sort of affect that. So I always wanted to know what the concerts look like because it.
Speaker 4: Was really cool. So it's eighty five, and frankly I was surprised. It was great, But then there was so much about America that I was learning about. It was so good. And I mean, you know, us being musicians from from England, we were just like, we're gonna go to a motown. We're gonna go to a motown, you know. But and then the Fox was it was a oh yeah, and you know all those places were but he's a mixed crowd and and that stayed right the way to this day. To this day being sampled. It's amazing. And yeah, and the audience, I mean my own audience as well, it's it's pretty it's pretty cool. But you know this, we come from a city that it's a whole different sub I guess, well, maybe it's related. But in eighty one eighty two Manchester had this really strong relationship with New York and the electro scene. And really we have to thank Factory Records and therefore New Order for that whole thing, certain ratio, and these were all my pals and I hadn't had a record deal yet and I was born in the Smiths but everybody, everybody knew everybody else. And you know, the first ever Smiths show in America was a dancetyria.
Speaker 1: WHOA what was like it?
Speaker 4: Well, we were jet lagged in like you know, no manager, and you know it was it was New Year's Eve, got from eighty three going in eighty four, and it was we couldn't believe it. We were in Dwan to Teteryia. So because we were from Manchester. So on the face of it, people from the outside world they're like, well, the Smiths are this chirpy, quirky in very very very English. But because of the Manchester experience, we you know, Downceteria. We were buzzing that we were at Downceeteria, and the myth goes people say, this is true, but I should know this, but that Madonna because she worked there, that she opened for like a twenty minute set. I know, it's spending a couple of books and it may actually be right, But that was that was crazy that that that happened. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the very first time I heard of you guys was courtesy of Factory Records, but not in the way that you think. So I know Factory Records because around like eighty nine to ninety kind of when a second wave of hip hop is starting, some independent record labels got wise to the fact that you know, of the old records that were sampling and whatnot to come up with compilations, and so of course they were just instead of you having a rummage through shit at the Salvation Army, you know, and find doubles, you could just buy a compilation and have it all on there. But then Factory Records would take it even further and not even just put the song on there. They would just put the brake on there. So they would they would just look like sixteen bars of a reticular break do that for five minutes.
Speaker 1: And that's how like.
Speaker 2: At least three or four of your songs were on those like I think his name is Simon Harris, but it was on Factory Records. Yeah, and I always wanted to know, like, were you guys that all ever connected with or even a where.
Speaker 4: Well I did hear about that at the time, and we just thought. I still to this stage, I thought, wow, that's really cool. Again. That's that's another example of music. Does that, doesn't it because in some ways culturally you go, well, you know, our countries are so different, but that's Manchester is so like Chicago in that in that instant, you know, like S nine hundred was it was it S nine under the thing and the NPCs and stuff. I mean everybody the first nine yeah, yeah, you know, everybody was everybody was making music with those with those things. I mean it was the center of Manchester, as in eighty well eighty seven, but definitely eighty eight was the center of house music in Europe. It wasn't Berlin, and it wasn't and it wasn't London. Everyone knows it was Manchester. So it is brilliant that you have those kind of you have those connections that music can do that you know, it's amazing. Yeah, yeah, you mean like your dad liking yacht rock. You know, everything's fair game. But I think a lot about that to do just plainlist, to do with our age and where we are in If your musician a certain age now, it tastes should be eclectic because we grew up with like fifty years of all kinds of people doing really interesting things. And if you're just someone who likes music, you're like a hook in this song, you like a groove in that song, you like the way that person sings. It's all fair game and the way the technology has served us all. I think it's a really beautiful thing. You know, it's an Zim has got this great story about meet and for l writing on Spider Man. He always says, I mean he was watching the guy who wrote Happy writing a song with the guy who wrote Heaven Knows how miserable. Now that's a good story, right, nice, it's a good story. But but it's that kind of proves my point really, like everything's a mix up now in pop, which is kind of amazing. You take something like Billie Eilish with Billy a few years ago on that Bond film and her and finished a great examples of modern musicians. You know, So I feel how great I look at I've got the best guitar gig of all time, playing with all these different kind of did people from different genres of music. It's just great.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you're in a room right now with Lord knows how many actses are behind you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but few.
Speaker 2: But you can only play one at a time. Maybe you could play two first of all, And I'll ask. And I always scream on Kirk about this as well. I feel as though any legendary guitarist that at least has clocked in double digits in years into a notable career, I feel as though you should keep. And this is where Kirk disagrees with me. I feel as though you should keep your first ten years of guitar for history sake. But yet, you know, Kirk, I don't know if you know the story, but how old were you when Vernon Reed gave you his guitar?
Speaker 6: That's for my twenty fourth birthday?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I thought it was like me and Joe Green Coke commercial, like you were like eight, and he's like, here.
Speaker 6: Kid, I mean I was a young twenty four, you're kind of I was green.
Speaker 1: At thirty bro.
Speaker 4: Guitar, right, but.
Speaker 1: I gave that guitar to someone else.
Speaker 6: I think Johnny understands this.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: In one sense, it's spreading good energy. And in the other sense, it's like when you know there's such a thing as having enough to share and recognize him when you have enough to share. And I think Vernon felt that way. I got to a part where like, I have enough to share, I want to pass on good mojo, to keep using the term, and and I think Johnny can take the rest.
Speaker 4: Well, Cris, Look, guitar players are just nicer than drummers, man, But a guitar.
Speaker 1: Am I to believe? I heard that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is a guitar that is on wonder Wall whatever, that's your guitar that yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is? Yeah, I mean wonder Wall is that that's a third one. But by that I think I sold him that. By then I was sick of giving him guitars. I think it's that's that's the way he got it.
Speaker 1: How do you start your friendship with no.
Speaker 4: My brother's I said earlier. He is nine years younger than me. He's a really low key very He's a quiet, cool guy, really cool. And one day he said to me, he would have been about nineteen. There was when were I was in electronic He said, there's a mate of mind. He's got a band together and he's cool. He's a pretty cool guy. Now, my brother at seventeen eighteen, he was always getting guys usually say to him, will you give this? Give this D to your to your Johnny, give this that. Because my brother was out in town a.
Speaker 1: Lot, give this, use your A and R C D ref and he would just.
Speaker 4: Be I never even got to hear about it. So, because he's so low key, the fact that he said this guy is pretty cool, I should have listened harder. Really. But what happened was when I made a record with the Other called Dusk, which I still is one of my favorite things I've ever done. And Nol, who my brother had seen around town. Noel was coming out of a record store with Dusk, and my brother Ian said, Hey, what you got there? And and Noel said, I it's this new other album. And my brother, who Noel had known for a while, said, oh, yeah, my brother's on that record. And Noel was like, what what do you mean your brother's on this record? What do you mean? He said, he's playing guitar on it. So and then no was like, hang on a minute, what's your what's your last name? And he said, oh, mom, Ian Mars. Anyway, that's how that's how that came about. And that's kind of a long story. I won't go we're going to be here all night. But my brother gave me the tape of an early Oasis demo and then the next thing, I saw Noel in the in the rain in Manchester one day and I gave him a ride in the car and we went and talked and I just really liked him. And the thing is I went to see his band. The story really short. I went to see his band a few days later, and I swear there was eleven people there max and the show was just for my benefit. They were on it like seven this is no this is in Manchester. It's way before that, okay anyway, he so I went and watched him. He did like five five songs. But then when he called me the next day asked me what I thought I'd made a point of saying, well, look in between numbers, you take a long time tuning up. His guitar was so shitty he kept going out of chin. I only said that because he asked me, do you have any advice? And I said, well, you know, you really could do with a backup guitar, And quite rightly, he said to me, well, that's okay for you to say, mister indie rock star. I'm on the doll I'm on the benefits. So I was like, oh shit, okay, yeah, good point. And I thought he needed a guitar, and I can't give him a crappy one. So I gave him a guitar that I did a lot of smith stuff on. That was I did panic on and a whole bunch of stuff, and it blew his mind.
Speaker 1: You gave him my last bar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I gave him that that I got from the.
Speaker 3: Who Oh God.
Speaker 5: Flex small Flag.
Speaker 4: That's a good one. I don't regret it for a second. But the thing is, though at the time, no one knew he was going to go on to be who he is. You know, he was just a kid. He also came from We've got a lot in common. He comes from our Irish family. It was just an easy, it was really easy thing for me to do, and I wanted I wanted to help him out, and and then off they went, and their rise was really quick, and so they then got in my office. I introduced him to my manager and all of that was great. He and my manager just really hit it off and they've been really tight. They've been together for thirty odd years throughout the whole journey, and me and Noel are closer than ever early thirty years later. But and you know, he's done plenty of good stuff for other people too that is less well known. I guess. So's it all kind of comes you know, what goes around comes around, you know.
Speaker 5: Johny, I got a question, have you ever been asked to play on an African record?
Speaker 4: Or?
Speaker 5: Is that something interesting? Giving the Sunny Hour Day references and all that stuff in the way you play.
Speaker 4: I played live with I'm doing Marry Him, and that was really interesting. That was someone who had did jam with. They invited me to come and play with him. I thought, oh man, this is going to be amazing. So the answer is no, not in the way, not in the way you mention it. No, I haven't I got very because when after this Charming Man came out a lot of people were writing that the guitars were very high life, and as Kurk mentioned, I had no I didn't know what high life was now in the UK, in the sort of underground station everyone knows, you guys don't know about John Peel. He was such a seminal guy.
Speaker 1: That's the guy that breaks you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was. He used to play low loads of underground music on and outlying music, but on on BBC. So he was a brave guy and he broke a lot of bands. And I think you two started out on his show, and and and the Smiths, and there's a lot a lot of bands that I've got, you know, John Peel to thank now. He used to play. That was when I first started hearing high life after that, so it started to become it was a thing, but I didn't know about it in the in the UK, in the underground. But I just played the way I played, As I said, I was just looking for melodies and I had a kind of unusual way of playing. I think, playing that real clean sound m h. And I mean if you want to know about that as well, that was It's funny how these things come about. But I was almost forced into a clean sound, which really suited me. It was great because of the way fashions music fashions go, so because of punk rock and the sex pistols playing this very overdriven, let's say, like a Ramones kind of sound in the In the US it was short, sharp, very distorted like that, because that had happened after punk everyone was looking for their own thing. You might, you guys might find this interesting in Manchester because we're young. You know, quite often young people define themselves by what they're not. So if you're kind of hip in Manchester or but probably anywhere in the UK and maybe the States, not too much the States, but seventy nine eighty eighty one. For guitar players, there was a whole lot of thou shalt not so it was thou shalt not play pentatonic blues licks, thou shalt not sound like Freebird, thou shalt not sound like and it gave us. So there was a lot of As a guitar player, you know, you want to be modern and you want to be contemporary and cutting edge. So in my case, for me, my took this stuff very seriously, like distortion was out, a lot of effects were out, except for Charlie Burchill from Simple Minds. He did it well. A guy from Killing Joke did it well. But there was a whole bunch of guitar players, and in my case, what all I was left with was clean, no effects, and I was the one guy playing melody in the band, and the Factory Records guys all went towards funk, so a certain ratio. You hear it in New Orders Records. So obviously now Rogers was real Big Nile's thing, because if you've got no distortion and no sustain when you play guitar coord it disappears real quick unless you're going in the game thing, unless you're playing a lot of funk. Now, I mean this was very deliberate on my part. There was a few bands who were doing that very well, who were on the John Peel Show, and I was able to do something else. I was able to play very melodic, and I was able to play our pedgios, and I wanted my own thing. So bands like you hear it in Orange Juice and some of the What Postcard records where they've got this anemic very low fi approach with James Brown Beats because it had to be non rock, that's the thing, non rock, non rock, so funk was kind of a thing, but still it had to be lo fi. I think in the US the closest to it would have been ESG, you know. So it's this minimalist lo fi almost amateurish cool thing, and so the guitar version of that, and no one was doing what I was doing. So my point being that I was left with a few sort of very only a few things left that I could do. And I think that's a really good thing for art. I think if you've got just a few options, particularly in this day and age, when you can sit in front of a laptop and you can just pull down loops orchestras, choirs, anything you want, any kind of plugins. But then may as a guitar player I was. I was left with just a very very narrow set of options. So it made me play in a very hyperactive way. And that's where this high life ye kind of king Sonia day thin comes from. Because I didn't have a whole load of echo hanging around or a load of distortion, and I was very melodic, so I was kind of just really getting busy.
Speaker 1: Was it ever a temptation to go there?
Speaker 2: And I understand what you're saying, because you know, we started off busking, so I always played like a two piece set, a three piece set, and then of course the second we got our record deal, I fucked around and got a Neil Pert set, which my manager was like, nah, dude, like no, right, go back to your kick, your snare, your high and mess.
Speaker 4: It like that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I learned my lessons.
Speaker 2: But were you ever tempted to like go out and five pedal effect wars in?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Oh no, I do that, but I try and do it to make to make it sound like my records, like I'm really into the technology. In the eighties, no one was more diametrically opposed to my approach than Eddie van Halen. There's no doubt about it. If you go what's the most extreme opposite to what I was doing, I guess is Eddie van Halen. And I saw Edie van Halen, and I watched this guy smile for two hours while he was playing and look like it was the greatest thing in the world. And I was like, he's all right, And then I met him. What a beautiful guy. Was absolutely beautiful guy, but no one needs me to be in that area. And it was just it's kind of a funny thing, and you know, I had forgotten that. I almost wish that I'd remembered that when when I wrote my book. But I think knowing what you were about well but still hoping to surprise yourself is where I'm at. But I love technology. I'm my pedals crazy and but I've got it down now, and I think it's a whole other thing. But I think the technology is finally now. Maybe it was a number of years ago, but finally actually caught up with the musicians. If I'm not careful, I can spend too much of my time pressing buttons. I love programming pedals. I love it because it's I say it's programming. I say it is producing with my feet. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm so happy you included your pedal board in uh Mars guitars.
Speaker 1: But I did notice.
Speaker 6: Maybe I missed it, but I was looking for what you were using, and maybe you just omitted it because it's just simply unsex No, just it's just the rack units that you were using in the late eighties, like you had, you were using a rack amunted boogie. You had like a mess a boogie, power ramp, messu preamps and rack effects and yeah, but you didn't include that in the book. And it was it just do you not have them anymore? Or just it's just there. They don't look as beautiful as a fender.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: It was just an asthetic decision. I thought that if I'd done that, it would have tipped the book slightly too much into the realm of this book. Is is four Musicians? Because right, the balance with that book was I wanted it to be Yes, four Musicians, but I thought it would be a neat trick to pull off if people who weren't musicians had it next to zen gardens in their house. I want for that book, if I'm being honest, to be a little bit like the Trojan Horse. That's the book I'm trying to That's my way of getting guitars into people's houses who would not normally have a guitar book.
Speaker 6: Yes, and and Ra units are only sexy to guitar players of a certain vintage and to really no one else at all. Correct, while I'm in here, I just I wanted to ask, we got the pleasure of playing with Nil Rogers at the Roots Picnic in New York a few years back, and he mentioned your son, Nile that plays ye mentioned you know how great he was at guitar, you know, hearing your story about your you with your parents and just the effect of seeing you know, your playing the record over and over and just music made in spaces. I'm getting the feeling that there wasn't much of a feeling of what's that noise that Johnny's listening to? Like your parents were listening to the noise of the day, it seems as well. And wondering what the dynamic was with Nile growing up. Was he ever into music that you were saying, oh that's shite or was it a similar dynamic that you had with your parents or.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting question. Yeah. The thing is, well, now has made a few albums. Now he's made he made an album with his band, Man Made, which I mean, I mean, you know, I get it. I think he's really I think he's really good. He's made a few solo records and now he's got a new band called Share And but because he put these records out, he was he'd done interviews, and he knows he's going to be asked about me some less polite or call or consider it rather interviewers are gonna ask him about me right out the gate. And he's a smart guy, but he's you know, he's okay, he can handle it. There was one time I was doing something and a podcast came on and he was on it, and I was hearing him being interviewed, and I was like, oh, I don't know whether I want to hear him talking about his childhood. What am I going to hear? And he's a funny guy, So it was weird. It was it felt a little like eaves dropping. It was I shouldn't really, I don't go out of my way to avoid it, but I was a little like, I don't I want to listen to the being in if you don't want him to do his thing. But in the interview they asked him about growing up in the house. Now. The thing is, he said, well, straight away, the people that because our house was a recording studio, it wasn't like we had a studio in the house. The house was a studio that we lived in really, so there was ants in the rooms and they were miked up for certain rooms. Sounded good because I had a big studio in the outbuilding outside, so there's a lot of musicians around. So he grew up with his sister in that environment. And his answer was that the thing that growing up in his house with me as his father, that the first thing he saw was that my famous friends, whether in Radiohead or New Order or whatever, that he saw a serious work ethic, not just from me and his mother, but everyone. He saw that successful people really work hard, which was nice, but then said it was unusual being in a house where where when he was playing a record he had to explain exactly why he was listening to it. And and I said to his sister, I went, he's got easy exaggerate. Is that right? Is that a thing? She was like, oh yeah, it was like so I was like, well, really, I used to go in there and he'd be like listening to Pink or Ave Levine. I've got what said she listened? Tell me why I know you're six. I know he's six, but tell me exactly why he's turned me onto a lot of music and vice versa. And yeah, So it was a similar dynamic to my household. It was this thing of I guess it's just like all of us. Really, it's learned behavior. I think of, Okay, you've got to be musical anyway, because his sister isn't in a band. She can sing like great, but she chosen not to be in bands. And he is a talented musician. But it's that thing of loving music. And I guess he saw how it can be your living, how you can take it seriously, how you can take it almost too seriously. I guess I say this quite a lot with the Irish thing as well. But in my house, seriously, when I was going to music was really was like a religion in my house. And I get and it's it's kind of like that in Ah. It's probably been like that for my kids. But they turned out okay, so it's all right. But so you know, it's an interesting thing. Well, he's named after Nol Rogers and he's happy about that. Yeah, and know Nile's happy about it. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm of course a big Smith's fan, and a lot of the things you worked on, but particularly the Billy Bragg stuff. I'm a big, big fan of that record in particular. It's just one record that you worked on with him the Taxman record or was it more than that?
Speaker 4: No, No, I did one called Don't Try This at Home as well. In fact, recently, it's got a psychedelic track on that. Check out Cindy of a thousand Lives. You will not believe it's Billy Bragg. It's this real psychedelic shu gaizy. Yes, a good one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and sexuality. You co wrote the single on that one as well, right, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I produced that and wrote it with him. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I guess my question is because I do like to turn the question of supreme audience onto artists, they may not beoper familiar with Billy Bragg being one of them.
Speaker 3: So what was what was that experience?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 8: Was there some story where you guys were toring together prior to working together?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well the thing with us and Billy and me and Billy still so Billy was a real contemporary as in. I say that because so many years later now, not everybody's still around for whatever reason. Some dropped out, some just out with us anymore, et cetera. And Billy's still out doing his thing, which is so good, and he's doing it doing it well. So I'm really pleased for him. He came out and for the Smiths on our US tour, that tour I was talking about earlier in eighty five, and he was such a great opener because it was just him and his guitar, and he would he was so fearless, he would.
Speaker 1: Back then.
Speaker 4: It was all about, you know, politically, it was all about Reaganomics, and over here we had our version of it, and he he would engage the audience with with stuff that was kind of was political but also funny and thought provoking. So quite often when you go on stage, you know, after some people, you know that the opening act, it's a hard gig for some opening acts because the audience aren't really listening. But he really engaged the audience as an opening act. But he had but no one had heard based on Drumson, and we went on. We sounded really huge. But what was great was he got the audience kind of antsy in a way. He was funny and he was thought provoking, and they'd never seen anyone like him, So Billy's whole thing. Back then, he used to say, when he sings a song, he wants to sound like all of the clash, which was kind of what he did. He used to really go for it, so when you would come on, we definitely felt like he'd built a vibe. So we got to be pals, and I played on the Talking with the Taxman about Poetry album, did a couple of songs with him on that, and then we just stayed to be friends and we wrote Sexuality together, and then I became like he's kind of producer during that period, and he came to my studio and did a few songs there for the album called Don't Try This at Home. He's someone who'll feels as stayed as a kindred spirit really politically, ideologically, I think. And it's nice when the good guys stay as the good guys, you know, it's really good, very heartening to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great artist.
Speaker 8: Also somebody that I don't believe you've ever worked with them, And I could be wrong, but I'm going down this Nicolo rabbit hole because I'm about to interview Nikolo for this podcast for the same for QLs, and I heard one in some interview that you're a fan of his, and I was just wondering where you caught onto that scene.
Speaker 4: Well, all musicians certainly of a certain age all regard Nick low as a great man and a great musician. And when I said earlier, when I was talking to the quest of about I left school at fifteen to be in a band with adults. That was to go to Nick Love's house and make demos for Elvis Costello's manager. That was the first recording studio I was ever in, and I was I think maybe he was even fourteen.
Speaker 3: So this is Jake Rivieira.
Speaker 4: Yeah, j Riviera called me one day when I came home from school. I was still in my school uniform, and I thought it was I thought it was one of my piles playing a prank. And one of my other piles had sent in a tape of my band to Jake Riviera.
Speaker 3: And he liked it and for Stiff Records.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, nothing came of it, but it was a big experience for me because I'd never been in a recording studio and I was in Nick Lowe's house and Nick low while we were there, Nick Lowe came back from an American tour while and I didn't meet him, but I saw him. I saw his cowboy boots wobbling up the stairs up to his bedroom honestly, very very unsteadily, and then heard a crash and then no one saw him for a few days. But I then worked with him because of this story. When I was in The Pretenders, Christy who was a very generous person because behind her first single was produced by Nick Low, the first Protect single, and because you knew I was a fan of Nick Low, when we went in the studio to do the only recording that I did with The Pretenders, we got Nick Low to produce it. So I eventually got to work with Nick Low on a couple of songs great man, Oh cool, So let's stop your sobbing You're on that?
Speaker 3: Or that's the one.
Speaker 4: That's the one Nick Low produced that came out when I was a kid. But we did one for this movie Night in sixty nine where we did the Stooges song, we did Windows of the World but Bacarrack song, and we did nighteteen sixty nine bad Stooges, and we did it in one take, and Nick was like, hey, listen, I know my reputation is that I just say one take, but really the first take was the take, and we did it about four times and then it was right, one take, But Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 3: Awesome, thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 1: This for me is like a dream.
Speaker 6: I could just sit here like all day. There's many more questions I have, but I feel really lucky that I could save this for when we meet again, Johnny. But absolutely, yeah, always a pleasure to be continued.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, What is.
Speaker 6: That amp next to those books up there? There's like it looks like a little like a plexi.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a it's one of those little Freedman plexis. It's it's well, it's called a it's just called a plexi. It's a mini plexi.
Speaker 1: You have a Freedman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got a couple of Freedman's. Yeah I didn't know. Okay, yeah, I don't know whether that's made, but I think that's made by Freedman. But it's called a plexi. What I did that? You know that thing where a few years ago one of my friends said to me, listen, and you've got to get this. You're not going to believe it. It's like actually fifteen fifteen what Yeah, it's so so good man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like you say, the technology, the way that you can dial things up so easily, whether it's getting things that sound grade in a small you know, less wattage, so you get more tone at lower volumes. It's really to our advance these days. It's in a way that it wasn't prior.
Speaker 4: Oh do you know about this? I know we can go on forever this, but do you know about these synergies, these little this company synergy they make They just so this is like this is this is it the kemper or no, above the above the kemper? You have this one you thing and then these modules pull out and there's a Bogner now Freedman aerplexi offender, and they're doing it all in conjunction with the they're doing it with the companies. So it start like they're ripping the companies offer anything right right?
Speaker 6: Oh man?
Speaker 4: And they sounded so good for at home. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, Hey, John, I just want to say that you know this, this has been six years in the making, and first of all, when when we played with you, we couldn't believe it, but you were just it was a dream to play with you. And finally like we get to have this conversation six years down the line, Kurr, thank you for making sure that we kept this appointment and that we saw this through and uh, we just want to thank you for being on on on this platform and and and and talking to us, just talking shot.
Speaker 4: It's fantastic. Thank you for inviting me. It's so good to see you guys again. It's been too long and I hope it's not as long again. And you know, every every time I see you, so it's it's it's always a joice great like I recognize a musicians, you know.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you well on behalf of Captain Kirk Douglas, our special guest and uh, Sir Steve and unpaid Bill and the entire Q and Lust family. This is a Quest Love and we'll see on the next program.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Quest Love Supreme. Posted by a Mere Quest Love.
Speaker 7: Thompson, Are you Saying Clear? Fante Sugar, Steve Mandel, Unpaid Bill Sherman. Executive producers are Amir quest Love, Thompson, Seean Che and Brian Calvin. Produced by Britney, Benjamin Cousin, Jake Paine, Elaiah Saint Clair, edited by Alex Convoy. Produced by iHeart by Noel Brown.
Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.