Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists. At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. This is the Daily Journ with your host Briny Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our Dan the Show. I'm your host, Royan Shang. You got so much to talk about tonight. The Federal Reserve is flexing Don Trump as a new side hustle, and celebrities are telling me who to vote for. Why don't you shut up, big bird, Let's get into the headlines.
Speaker 4: That's not the big news.
Speaker 3: If there's one issue that voters say is the most important to them in this election, it's the economy. It's the top of the list of crime, healthcare, and Haitian immigrants a eating my grandmother. Oh wait, sorry, she's just outside goddening.
Speaker 4: My bad, my bad.
Speaker 3: But today the Federal Reserve told all the people bitching about the economy to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 4: This is CNN breaking news.
Speaker 5: We do have breaking news.
Speaker 6: Just into CNN the Federal Reserve making its announcement on interest rate cuts.
Speaker 7: The Fed just delivered its first interest rate cuts since COVID, and it is a big one.
Speaker 5: Half a percentage point.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's you.
Speaker 3: I assume, Uh, from the way he said it, I mean, I guess this is a big deal. A Lowes's interest rates mean lower cop payments, Craig cop payments, and of course cheaper home loans.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: So you know that house you couldn't afford, Well, a half point decrease means that now you can afford a bus ticket to drive past it. American dream alive. But who cares about a federal reserve?
Speaker 4: What about those of.
Speaker 3: Us outside the system? US rebels so we don't keep up money in social constructs like banks, so we don't have to pay taxes. Well, you're in luck, my friend, because the last real American has just announced the new investment opportunity that's gonna make your wallet blow up like a hezbollup pager in.
Speaker 7: The crypto space, Donald Trump has officially rolled out World Liberty Financial, a crypto adventure that will sell tokens to wealthy investors. Or this just one day after an apparent assassination attempt on his life.
Speaker 3: Yes, having a near death experience has made Trump focus on what truly matters in life, selling crypto and this is great news. Donald Trump, the world's most trustworthy businessman, is now in crypto the world's most trustworthy business. And what could make this deal better than Trump? How about more Trumps?
Speaker 5: Also involved in the crypto adventure are Donald Trump's sons Donald Trump Junior, Eric Trump, and even eighteen year old Baron Trump, whose official title is D five Visionary.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, they got four Trumps now, I mean, forget Nepo babies. That's a whole Nepo nursery. Look, I'm one hundred percent in this. Okay, shut up and take my money. I just have a few questions, like, how does this work and what is it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 8: This new Trump backed business called World Liberty Financial, yet to releast key details about it's finances or exact purpose. Its website, though prominently features photos of Trump and touts a digital currency kind of like bitcoin, but the value of that currency would be pegged to the US dollar.
Speaker 9: World Liberty Financial announced it will sell tokens to accredited investors. Those don't be transferable or earn a yield, but they will allow holders to vote on the company's future. Users can transact directly with each other without the middleman of a bank, and everything is going to occur on the blockchain. And that's essentially a public digital letter.
Speaker 4: I'm in.
Speaker 3: I'm just not sure what I mean. It's a little confusing. So maybe we could, I don't know, do that thing from the Big Short and have mogl Robbie explain this Trump business to us in a bathtub.
Speaker 9: It's a scam.
Speaker 3: Oh right, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: See it now.
Speaker 3: But still, I mean, that's just one person's opinion. Is there anyone else who's an expert on scams, who's had some thoughts a few years ago on crypto bitcoin?
Speaker 2: It just seems like a scam.
Speaker 6: Quote, I am not a fan of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, which are not money and whose value is highly volatile and based on thin air.
Speaker 4: Okay, pretty persuasive, but.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna need to see him say that in a bathtub naked.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: There you got Now, I know it's a scam and I'm turned on. I'm sorry, guys, I really thought this was a sure thing, but of course not. Trump doesn't know anything about crypto. Now, if he had some actual financial experts who are running the company for him, that would be a different story.
Speaker 10: One of the deal makers behind World Liberty Financial is Chase Hero, who previously sold collon cleansers online after serving time in prison for dealing marijuana.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Trump's partner in this is a wee dealer turned prisoner turned colon cleans Marketer. I mean, clearly he understands the concepts of diversifying your portfolio.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe I can trust this thing.
Speaker 3: But is there anything Chase Hero said that makes it clear he understands how the crypto business works.
Speaker 11: You can literally sell in the can wrapped in pissed covered in human skin for a billion dollars if the stories right, because people will buy it. And that is what is going on in the crypto space. And that guy said by other video, I'm not going to question the right and wrong of all that. All I'm saying is, as a human being, you have the ability to make a ton of money right now.
Speaker 3: So the guy running Trump's crypto company says, crypto is basically, and I quote, a can of shit wrapped in piss that you can sell to idiots.
Speaker 4: I mean that is crazy. I did not know you.
Speaker 3: Could wrap something in piss's that's a liquid. This guy's a genius. I can't wait to give him my money. I just wish there was just one more guy who could lend his credibility to this company.
Speaker 5: World Liberty Financial also has Chase Heroes longtime partner Zachary Folkman, a former pickup artist who under the name Zach Bauer, founded a company called Date Hotter Girls.
Speaker 10: How many guys came?
Speaker 7: I'm here to learn how to take girls home and bang them?
Speaker 3: Finally the answer, Finally, the answer to the question what if Jesus had herpes? So to sum it up, I could not be more excited to trust my kids insulin money with these three guys, Donald Trump, a shit in a can salesman, and Timu Russell Brand. But the question is is this investment right for you? Only you can answer that. But I must say I found that new ad very persuasive.
Speaker 12: Attention Donald Trump fans, introducing World Liberty Financial, the President's latest venture.
Speaker 5: How does it work?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 12: Using the blockchain? We meant a crypto coin, or we exchange.
Speaker 10: Other crypto coins.
Speaker 12: Maybe we platform the DFI blah blah blah.
Speaker 10: Look, we don't know what this is yet, but you know the deal.
Speaker 12: Trump's name is on it, so you buy it, okay. Crypto is a complex intersection of finance and technology, and we don't know shit about it either.
Speaker 10: But what we do know is you like Trump.
Speaker 12: Trump like money, You give Trump money.
Speaker 10: Don't actly. You need to do your due diligence here.
Speaker 12: Oh, let me read the perspectus and make sure this is a sound financial decision.
Speaker 10: Thank you pay us.
Speaker 12: Oh you want a chart, fine, here's a chart.
Speaker 10: This is you giving money to Trump.
Speaker 5: You're comprehending all this warm buffet.
Speaker 12: I'm sorry, but we have less than fifty days to the election to cram in all the cash grabs we can, so we don't have time for a bunch of questions like are we ensured by the FDIC Are you kidding me? The only fdicee here is you the fucking dummies investing cash.
Speaker 4: Give us your money.
Speaker 12: If you don't have money, then get it, take out a loan, steal it from your daughter's wallet, rob a bank, rob a blood bank, and sell the blood on the black market. Don't get Trump involved unless it works, then he wants a cut.
Speaker 5: I have a financial disclosure.
Speaker 12: We legally have to read.
Speaker 10: This is a grift.
Speaker 3: You are the mark.
Speaker 10: Ignore that or don't.
Speaker 5: You're gonna fall for it?
Speaker 1: World Liberty Financial Trump crypto blockchain, blah blah, blah money please.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we find out the celebrity endorsement that will decide the election.
Speaker 4: So don't go awhere. Hey oh the Magna Daily Show.
Speaker 3: A week after Taylor Swift endorse Kamala Harris, the Vice President has picked up another pop star endorsement. Billie Eilish is now team Kamala. I can't wait to see it. Yeah, I can't wait to see how Trump spells Billie Eilish when he tweets about how much he hates her. And if you're saying, hey, what's you all the pop well, all the endorsements for us dudes, Well, Josh Johnson was wondering that too.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift's endorsement of Kamala Harris was a boom for her campaign with women, but a lot of people say she still needs to do bear with men. So I'm here outside one of the bastions of masculinity, a gym to talk to real men about which celebrity endorsement would move the needle for them. Hopefully I don't get mistaken for Terry Crews. What celebrity endorsement carries the weight for you that like a Taylor Swift would carry for women.
Speaker 4: Do there have to be alive or alive?
Speaker 13: Would help?
Speaker 1: Alive is probably one of the most important things that they could be, because the first thing I said was Prince. The Prince came back from the dead and was like, my man, you gotta vote for Kamla. Would that move the needle for you?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Okay, Colonel Lank Why because you just saw a ghosts? What about some non paranormal endorsements. Is there a male celebrity that would make you vote for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: Kendrick Lamar, Maybe Lebron He's a big guy.
Speaker 1: I feel like Lebron can move the needle a little bit.
Speaker 5: Okay, probably try to Travis Scott.
Speaker 1: Those selects were so twenty twenty four. How about some throwbacks? I would say, Payon Manning, Peyton Manning, do you understanding Deon Sanders and Celene Dion that's my girl, you know what I mean? Celen Dion, Yes, So everyone that you've mentioned, yes, and Celene Dion yes. And it doesn't matter to you that she's Canadian all it doesn't matter. So what male celebrity endorsement would move the needle for you?
Speaker 9: I leave Michael jih White, Michael joh White.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and why is.
Speaker 10: That he works out?
Speaker 11: I work out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: We'll have to sit down and like really think.
Speaker 1: For myself, look at the issues, look at the candidates, and then maybe of Michael joh White.
Speaker 11: Maybe we gotta sit down together and chit chat.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, I feel like you just try to meet Michael John White.
Speaker 14: Now, none of that.
Speaker 1: But sure he's tough, he's talented. He got killed by the Joe, I get it. But maybe I could prove to these swow voters that they could look to me for political guidance.
Speaker 14: There you go. Men.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to bench press right now, I'm hitting like a clean one. Okay, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Right, fantastic? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I was.
Speaker 1: That's that's good news for me. Are there any male celebrities right and we don't and we don't have to talk about a list. They could be in front of you right now in this moment, whose opinion means something to you?
Speaker 4: By a long cause clearly.
Speaker 1: He was intimidated by meeting such a famous and yoke celebrity IRL, So I decided to change the subject to the candidates. What do you think, Kamala Harris would have to do to appeal to more men if she agreed to a boxing match with Logan Paul, What do you think that would do? If that move the needle for her?
Speaker 5: I think if she knocks a mountain, no doubt.
Speaker 7: Wow, Okay, knock him out, gold, drag him out the ring, all right, President.
Speaker 1: Round after round. He kept me back to the same question about masculinity, like, is Trump like.
Speaker 4: A man's man to you?
Speaker 1: No, he's not not really.
Speaker 5: He's not an honest person, gotcha.
Speaker 3: And that's a big part of being a man. To me, it's being vulnerable, admitting your mistakes.
Speaker 1: So if I'm vulnerable with you right now, that's that's manly. Yeah, okay, I may have fived earlier with the one twenty five, it's really one fifteen.
Speaker 3: It's okay, you move now.
Speaker 1: Does Trump seem manly to you when you think about like a man's man?
Speaker 10: I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: The reason why I respect what he says sometime because he speak his mind. So for you, it's speaking your mind. That's like the manly thing that you like. Yeah, could you tell you straight up now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you you like that Trump lets you know from far away, far away, I'm crazy yay. At the end of the day, it seemed like the only way to get some men to go Overcomma might be to trick them into it. What if they put a forty five pound kettlebell on the lever to vote for Kamala Harris. Do you think more guys would do it?
Speaker 3: We would do it. Yeah. Put a sign that says like like, try and try and pull this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh man, don't even tell them the way, Just be like, I bet you can't.
Speaker 14: There you go.
Speaker 3: Bet you can't.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, that you can't. That's that should be the slogan.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 5: I bet you can't.
Speaker 1: I mean it might if you don't understand the context, look pretty bad. Just say Kamala Harris, bet you can't. That's that that that may backfire.
Speaker 3: Cot Yeah, thank you, Josh. When you come back, my good friend Daniel day Kim will be joining you.
Speaker 4: On the shelf.
Speaker 13: And don't go away.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Dare we Show?
Speaker 3: My guest tonight is an actor who starts in a new Broadway play Yellow Face. Please welcome my good friend Daniel day Care.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a warm house.
Speaker 3: Everybody loves you man, you're the man everyone loves Ronnie.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't love Ronnie Chang?
Speaker 3: That's that's forcing it, that's forcing it. So, yeah, you one of those guys who's become so rich and famous. You have to do Broadway now to get your kicks.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that said, I'm slumming it in theater because you came.
Speaker 4: You came from theater I did.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I started my training here in New York and went to drama school here at n y U. And uh that's where oh yeah n YU uh and so uh and so yeah, I did theater for a number of years before heading out to l A.
Speaker 3: Right, And so this was that, you'll that's where you learn your craft and you were running around town just being a theater kid in New York City.
Speaker 14: Yeah, well, whatever little I know I learned here, Yeah, well learn about little, but definitely I wish, you know, we all could learn as little as union fact.
Speaker 4: And what does this play about? Uh?
Speaker 14: So it's a semi autobiographical play. I don't know if you know the playwright, David Henry Wallah.
Speaker 3: Legend, legendary, what I want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he wrote a.
Speaker 14: Play called m Butterfly that ended up winning a Tony and uh and uh. At the time, in the late eighties, there was a play called Miss Saigon that came to the US, and uh, that play was famous because it was a white actor playing an Asian role with taped.
Speaker 1: Up eyelids that kind of stuff, as they should.
Speaker 13: That's right, And that's.
Speaker 14: No that kind of is it kind of is. So he ended up protesting that, David David Henry Long. Yeah, so he ended up protesting that and then ended up this This play is about him writing a play where he actually for his next play, it's a little bit meta. He he ends up mistakenly hiring a white actor to play an Asian lead in his own play. And so that's what this show is about, right, I play David Henry Wong.
Speaker 3: Sure, And and that actually is based on a true story, right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So so much of this play is actually based on true events, the Messagon stuff. And uh, you know, he actually wrote a play called Face Value right after that, which was based on Misson and that play the story of the casting of that play is in this play.
Speaker 3: So this is this is play in set And I guess you just get attracted to extremely convoluted plot lines. I lost that's and the idea. One of the main themes of the play is the idea of whether or not people of different races can play other races as actors. So the if we go to the source of the inception, the genesis of it was Jonathan Price playing Asian a half Asian man in Miss Saigon's and that's what caused the initial and David Henry Juan, being an Asian American activist, kind of spoke out about it. Yeah, and then he accidentally casted a white guy to play Yeah, because but I guess what is your stance on that as a as a actor, a respected actor in the theater community.
Speaker 14: Well, I think it requires a lot of thought whatever whatever you decided to do. And I think part of the reason there was so much controversy around it then and now is because it was just assumed that people of color, we would not be able to play themselves, and that it was okay for people who are not African Americans, say, to be to put on blackface and then you know, pretend to be African American and it's the same thing with Asian Americans. But you know, we're in a situation right now where there's so many great Asian American performers, you being among them, you know, right.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 14: There is absolutely no reason why Asian performers should not be playing Asian characters now, you know there. I think the thing that gets a little bit more nuanced now is whether we should be nationality specific among Asian Americans. And that is an interesting question too, like should people of Japanese descent only be able to play people characters who are Japanese, or even more nuanced, should they be able to play Japanese American characters who have no connection to being Japanese nationals. So these are really interesting questions and one's worth exploring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as president of all actors, what is the answer?
Speaker 4: Can we played or not? Well?
Speaker 14: Honestly, like, I have an opinion about it, and it's kind of a hot take, but I think so, clicks.
Speaker 4: Let's go, Here's what I think. No, I think I think that.
Speaker 14: We shouldn't be limited to playing people of our own nationality, because you know, I always think about the eight year old who's watching TV. Can an eight year old or ten year old watching TV tell that I'm not Japanese or you're not Chinese or you know, if they cannot and there are a couple of criteria that I actually think about. Is this character historically based there is there a cultural significance to a particular country in the character that's being played, Or is there a language requirement that requires a level of authenticity, or is it based on a real character that that that is of that ethnicity. If those things are in place, I do think it's really important that that the actor be of that same nationality or of that same specific ethnic origin. But if not, and we're talking especially about Asian Americans, then I think it's perfectly fine for someone who's not, say, Korean, to play a Korean American because if we're just playing Americans, that's the emphasis, right, because uh, you know, we're not talking about people of specific countries and those specific things.
Speaker 3: So for example, someone who looks like me, why can I play extremely good looking person? Well, you know, why should I be limited?
Speaker 14: That's a different conversation.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, So you know you've been you've been in show business for like almost eighty five years now, so like what based on your you know, I hate to ask the generic questions, but like you actually have the authority and perspective to talk about this.
Speaker 4: So what all have you felt.
Speaker 3: The industry has changed since when you flist started, when you were running around Hell's kitchen.
Speaker 4: Oh, back in the old days, running.
Speaker 3: Around with Charlie Chaplin.
Speaker 4: That's right, so.
Speaker 14: When movies just started getting sound. You know, we've made a lot of progress, we really have. Like when I first started in this industry, there was a common uh uh misunderstanding that Asians were not funny. Like like back in the nineties, people thought, oh, Asian people are not funny, but there are no Asian comedians out there. And it took people like Margaret Cho Ken Jung and you and and Jimmy o'yang and so many others just to show that, yeah, we've always been out there, we just haven't been seen that way. So, you know, so we that had that misperception. You know, there have been a lot of stereotypes that we've worked under for a long time, but we're breaking through them. The fact that you're here right now hosting this show is a big breakthrough.
Speaker 4: You know, it's true. What Yeah, well, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what can I What can I say?
Speaker 14: I'm making history of every dig joke and bow and Yang on SNL for instance, like first Asian American cast member and there you know, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the context in which I know you. You've always been very supportive everyone. I first met you at the Comedy Celler. You're always very cool to the new guys, and so I really appreciate, you know, you being a mentor and showing us the ropes and looking out for us and all that. So thank you to.
Speaker 4: Yourself and the old Jews divacum.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know this, this one, this one play was actually a yellow Face was already uh it's been mounted before in two thousand and seven, right, so this is like a rem mounting of the play. So do you feel like it's is it just as you feel the relevant the context of it is different now, Yeah, like it was first put on in two thousand and seven, Yeah, that's not in twenty twenty four now.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And I actually think it's as well, if not more so, because the stuff David was talking about and trying to address in two thousand and seven wasn't really topical then. He was actually ahead of the curve and talking about things like you know, ethnic authentic casting. You know, people now kind of see like, well, of course that's that's what we should be doing. But back then they didn't think that. So now in the wake of George Floyd and BLM and you know, stop Asian Hate, there is more of an awareness of, you know, what's appropriate culturally and what we should be trying to aspire to. And so what's crazy about this show is that there are a lot of real life figures, very prominent people like Dick Cavitt and Frank al.
Speaker 4: Yeah, character yeah.
Speaker 14: And during the time when David was protesting, they were on the other side of the issue. They were supporting yellow face casting. But you know, now they've all changed their minds and said, you know what, We've evolved on the subject, and they they're a direct barometer of how far we've come. It's a great testament to all of them that they're willing to be in the play and say yeah, we we we made the wrong call on that one.
Speaker 3: And and you know anything, you want to say that Jonathan Price putting tape on his eyes or you want to call him out.
Speaker 4: I will say it's the platform.
Speaker 14: This is a direct quote from the play. Jonathan mister Price is an excellent actor.
Speaker 4: Okay, wait, what.
Speaker 3: Enough to play Asian way?
Speaker 14: But I feel bad for him too, because he you know, he he was doing what he thought was right at the time.
Speaker 4: I bet we just.
Speaker 3: Put tape on your eyes and play Asian.
Speaker 4: But I think if you were to ask.
Speaker 3: Hasn't tried to do that?
Speaker 4: I'm doing it right now.
Speaker 5: Well, well, yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: You know I could talk to you viours, but you got the plate to actually do well. Taping this before the play, mister Kim, great, gracious, well the great generation The Shop.
Speaker 4: Of sheep Bones on television, a go allway production of yellow Face.
Speaker 13: It'sparently in previews.
Speaker 4: I will open.
Speaker 3: I'll tell the first I have a tod Haynsteada. Now they came, everybody not there to break on the right back after this. Hey, that's us over tonight now here it is your moment of then.
Speaker 6: So Americans have had enough of Kamala Harris's tongue twisters. Their pocketbooks see straight through all of her crooked lies. So she's claiming to be a friend to small business, but prices are let's see if it works. Oh well, gosh, okay, spinning out of control. All right. I tried, I really tried.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show Podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 4: Paramount Podcasts