Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte. You guys, it's an exciting day, and are you a Charlotte because Cindy Schubreck is here. We have been waiting so excited for you to come. Cindy came to be on the show as a writer originally she's gonna tell us all about it in nineteen ninety nine, many years ago. And you and Jenny then in my mind, became like this super powerhouse pair who really like took the reins of the female voice. You know. People would sometimes complain thinking we only had male writers because Darren was so outfront and then Michael Patrick, but really we always had you guys in my mind, you know, and you really had such a really incredible input in terms of like your own stories, and you know, like for Charlotte, some of them were just like so important from both you and Jenny, and like for me when I think at the show that really, you know, it was the heart and the soul and the foundation of like where our characters got to go and deepen into. So we're super.
Speaker 2: Excited to hear yes. I mean it's funny because Michael to me and Michael could write anybody and anything, of course, and I know you mean that, but yeah, Jenny was actually a friend I had made before I came aboard this show. I know this, and I was working on every Boy Loves Raymond.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't remember this theater.
Speaker 2: This is a big thing because it was sort of like I had an affair with Sex and the City because I had been working with a writing partner for like seven years, and on the side, I used to write these columns like once a year, this thing about dating for a glamor, and then I could never use as a samples because when you're working with a partner, you have to do things you did together, right, And I was working she had kids already, so we had been on all sorts of shows that weren't at all about what I was living interesting, and we were finally at a point where we were going to separate, and wroteenthal who ran every Bay Loves Raymond, let us each write an episode. So I had my own episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, and then I was going to write a spec and Sex and the City had just started. It was in season one, and I knew Jenny was working on it, and I told her I was gonna write a spect and she's like, you should come in freelance, Like you should come in and pitch. So that's what Phil let me do. From everybody loves Raymond. I love Phil, I mean me too. I don't think he I mean I think he regrets it, maybe still, but which I will want you.
Speaker 1: Phil, I appreciate that. We all really appreciate that you cheese everybody.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: He's a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's and these are great writers. Like that was a great we were finally I was finally on a good show that was going to last on Raymond. So my dad, who was an accountant, was like, what are you doing? But I from the minute I pitched to Michael and Darren and Jenny encouraged me, which was so nice of her to share that. Like so it was it was like I was so excited to pitch because everything I had written in a little journal of things I wanted to write about our essays or a movie I might want to write everything could work on that show. Because I was the same age as you guys at that time. It just felt like everything I talked to my friends about and everything I wondered about and in fact, I was at Everybody Loves This is such a long answer, so.
Speaker 1: It was good a long answer.
Speaker 2: I was at Everybody Loves Raymond and one of the guys brought in a VCR. I remember that of Sex and the City, and he's like, my wife loves this show. I don't get it. It was at lunch it played. It was the baby Shower episode, and I hadn't seen it, and I remember all the boys slowly trickled out. It was mostly met on the show, of course, and at Raymond, and they all trickled out and went to lunch, and I was sitting there and I was like crying by the end of it. I couldn't believe how much it spoke to about what I bought about, and like how deep it was to me, and like the idea of our you gonn advocate And then remember she had taken your baby. Remember there was like such big laughs, but there were also just to me, these really deep, meaningful conversations. Absolutely I hadn't heard, and so I was like enamored of the show. And so I went and pitched and Mike clinn. So that's when I did the episode of the Chicken dance as a freelancer, so I did not.
Speaker 1: Realize you were a free lancer and you did like a absolutely iconic episode. I mean, Cynthia and I just talked about it last week and Cynthia said, because they were asking me, where are you in the in the rewatching and I told them and I said, you know, Cindy couldn't come on for Chicken Dance, which is coming on for the next one. And Cindy said, oh, I recommend Chicken Dance to anyone who hasn't seen the show or young people who want to see it for the first time, because it's not particularly dirty, right, but it's the gist of the four women characters.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, Yeah, And that was I thought that.
Speaker 1: Was so smart because all I remembered about the Chicken Dance was the difficult storyline that I have, which is, you know, the groomsman's father groping me on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: So you like it, and you had an entire relationship during the wedding with what.
Speaker 1: Also so bizarre start exactly. That's the which so much fun about rewatching. There's so many great things. One is that there are things I remember really vividly, and then there's things where there's just nothing right, and I'm like, I never know what I'm going to do, Like like in the one that Jenny had written, the threesomeone where I'm having a dream and it looks like I'm about to have a threesome.
Speaker 2: I was I'm gonna have a cent.
Speaker 1: I remember that. Oh my god, how great of Charlotte, you know what I mean. But no, no, no, it's just a dream. I didn't have a three cent, but I literally don't know. And also in the in the Chicken Dance, I don't remember going up to the room that I'm preparing for the bread and Room and having sex there with that dude very at all, which obviously I didn't really have something. But you know, I'm saying, yeah, pretty suppersive for Charlotte, and she does a lot of stuff. But then we come down and he tells me that I look like a whore in my beautiful dress, and I'm like, oh, but I think, and it's a good example because I think what you do so brilliantly, and really all of our writers, but when you came you could get the embarrassment, the kind of going out on a limb emotionally with the humor, with the depth, all of those things, and that's the specialness of the show, I think, and the writing is the reason for it well.
Speaker 2: And then that you guys could carry off anything that was so fun.
Speaker 1: It was like, but you guys, you know, you don't really have writing like that very often when it's really asking you to fire on all cylinders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, That's what I feel like I remember about the show is just everybody was firing on all cylinders. And I feel like I knew it at the time. I mean, part way in, I was thinking, this is going to be the best job I ever have. And that's either sad or just like amazing that I'm here right now. But I felt like the actors of costume, the directors, we were getting and you know, from the moment of like nobody's heard of the show and somebody brought it in on a tape to like I think when I joined you guys, that was the first year at the Golden Globes and we were like jumping out in the kitchen and suddenly people were watching. And then we'd walk around New York and you'd hear people talking about it. Yeah, So not only did I love what we were doing and who I was working with, but people work. It was in the zeitgeist very yeah. So yeah, I felt like this is everybody lightning in a bottle.
Speaker 1: Amazing, yes, absolutely, and smart that you knew it. I mean I don't know that I really knew it until I feel like I knew it third season.
Speaker 2: But maybe I probably didn't know it right away, right. I just was happy to be there.
Speaker 1: Joy of the actual experience is what was you know, so amazing because you don't always have that, right. You could be on an amazing show. Everybody loves Raymond's an amazing show, but like you said, it wasn't necessarily what you were thinking about in life, right, And that was true for me also obviously with Sex and City, I'm a single, thirty five year old whatever, thirty foot why, I don't know how old we were something thirty something, Yeah, and you know the things that you are already thinking of and talking about and or curious about or whatever is their story. It's crazy, right, like, so unusual and obviously hadn't happened then, and I don't know really has happened again, because I think we had kind of a unique situation in terms of HBO allowing us, you know, to do whatever we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think so much there's very little that's not said anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, this is true.
Speaker 2: When we were hot, right, there were still things to be said that people hadn't said aloud. And now I feel like very true, maybe even artly because of us. Not to take credit for that, but I feel like my friends who didn't used to talk about some of those things that we talked about then would and men would too. And so now everybody writes their own every you know, everybody says everything absolutely right.
Speaker 1: So tell us back. So you wrote the chicken nance on spec. So for anyone listening who doesn't really know what that means, tell us exactly what inspect means.
Speaker 2: As a freelancer. So I came in and pitched, and they listened to a few ideas. They liked that idea. That was really what was happening in my life right then. I had bought this house on my own, and somebody everybody said like, as soon as you buy a place, someone will propose. And then I had people hostitting and they got engaged in my house and it's supposed to be to me, and they had me write a poem for their wedding, so everything oh the time.
Speaker 1: For example, you don't.
Speaker 3: Know he got them.
Speaker 1: That's why you were right reading.
Speaker 2: He didn't happen leave, but he had given me the pink toothbrush head, which was like big to me.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But then it's like they met, got engaged, were getting married and he's just my date and as as far as I got is like the pink toothbrushead. And so I did start crying during the poem the poem, yeah, and I did kind of play it off as like I was overcome by emotion, but really also.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. The other thing that I love about having a podcast and getting to discuss things like this is that, you know, there was always this kind of vague thought that the stories in the show were our actors' stories, and we would always try to tell someone no, no, no, they're not our stories because that'd be weird. They're you know, ore writer stories, and they have an agreement that everything is going to be either their story or once removed, people know someone who's actually going through it, but to hear you how close it was to your life.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't always that a to B like right, but we definitely yeah, but that one when I pitched it, they loved that idea. So I got to write that one, and then I got to come to New York and be at the table read, which to me because I had only seen you guys on television and even though I worked in TV, I worked in you know, like in front of an audience in four camera sitcoms ol sessions. It comes right, and this was like, you know, you guys, I think it was at ABC carpet during lunch when you were filming something at Equinox or something already. It felt really cool to me, but I was really intimidated. And I also was intimidated because the script you were reading like had come off my printer, like nobody changed very much. Like I definitely got input when I was breaking the story and all, but it was kind of like getting your bluff called because writers always complain, you know, right, so much got changed, but I was like, why did no one all help me out?
Speaker 1: This is bad?
Speaker 2: This is just bad for me, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, But it was so good, That's why no one changed.
Speaker 2: And it was quiet because you guys were like grown ups and you'd have to laugh. So the so the network knew it was funny, like we did on his sitcom, right, so it's really quiet the whole time, the whole difference. Maybe everyone was very nice afterwards. And then after that I asked my agent, like, do you think I could go on there? And so he like asked, and I got to go there. And then I think maybe they regretted letting me do it from everybody else, right, But I was like, I'm already in love with this whole process.
Speaker 1: So then you left.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves women always between seasons, so I just didn't reap, but I think got it. Everybody thought it would because it was finally a successful show and it was really fun to write, and I wrote about my family, but it wasn't like writing Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: Of course, nothing is nothing was obviously for sure, And we're just so thankful that you came to us.
Speaker 2: My god, I am.
Speaker 1: I did have a very weird conversation though, which kind of now has some interesting backstory to it. One time with Ray Ramono on television where he told me that women weren't funny. Oh yeah, and I say interest, but we were on television, so I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Were you what was that?
Speaker 1: Some kind of a was it Bill Maher used to have a show that had more than one personal Yeah, yeah, maybe that show. So it was like a guy based show. And I think that was the only woman sitting there, do you know what I mean? And I was kind of like, and I think we knew you'd come from there on some level at least I was like, wait, is this guy?
Speaker 2: So I feel like, okay, maybe he was overstating hopefully, and I just did a thing that was like a reunion of the Raymond writers. But I do remember like I said something funny, and I remember them kind of still looking surprised that I said all these years.
Speaker 1: And you feel like that's a real thing in commedy.
Speaker 2: Like happily, not surprised, like how could you, but just surprise I said something.
Speaker 1: I remember thinking that, like it's a holdover from like you know, it's a sexist kind of a holdover that we still need to get totally rid of, right, And that was kind of the joy of our show is that there were four of us and all of you guys started writing and writing your own series or women writers, and yes there was Darren and Michael Patrick of course, but then like we got more and more, and we're gonna, you know, obviously as we go on, we'll get everyone on, hopefully because that would be really really fun. But you know, just to be able to succeed without it being a traditional sitcom, right, So I think women obviously had already done great over there in regular sitcom land, right to have it be kind of like a little almost like an indie film, almost like a sitcom, oh, you know, like we it was very.
Speaker 2: Different at the time, very different like whenever I pitched a sort of a woman centric show, it was always like, okay, but they they're dating, but what's their job or whatever. It was never I could just see about friendship and dating really in life, and in the right that was right. So it was really fun. And also, yeah, it did look very filmic. I remember people were really addicted kind of to a laugh track. So there was a lot of fear about like what single camera was, and there was a lot of hybrid will be kind of single camera but some kind of on right. But Second City did such a good job of making it film and I think using music, and it didn't feel quiet and it was like.
Speaker 1: Not at all, yeah, not at all. But also to me even when I look back, because it is I am so able to be more objective now than you know, because I only would ever watch it right when before it came out on HBO. They would give us the vhs and we take them home and watch them, and sometimes there's still be like placeholders or whatever. It wouldn't be totally finished right, and then I would probably not ever see it again, you know. So I'm rewatching and so amazed by so many things and so many things. I'm like, it is so good and I don't know that I was able to feel that at the time, like to really think in I knew it was special and different, and I knew that our vibe when we were doing it had that like faculty energy of something special, you know. But then to see it now from all these many years later, and see how the writing holds up, how on point you guys are about so many things, like the I think this is so this is our episode that we're discussing today is Evolution, which you wrote and Pam Thomas directs, who was great director, and I don't know why we never had her back maybe you know, I don't know, so great And it's got the incredible Dan Futterman in it, which we're going to talk to next week, which will be really fun. But the thing that I'm wondering about, because I just watched this is when we have the incredible episode where Brandon talks about freezing her eggs.
Speaker 2: Yes, I watched it last night too, right, the guy with the hair.
Speaker 1: Plus right, it's so good. But also that shot where they're in the freezer and she and Gary says, right now, there were no eggs in her freezer.
Speaker 2: Thomas did that great, like from shot and also from behind the medicine cabinet medicine so good.
Speaker 1: I mean, she was so visual, Pam Thomas was so visual. But like, that's how new egg freezing was that. First of all, this jerk on this date with her is gonna you know, criticize the idea of you know, science, right, you know, creating babies or whatever. Oh my god. And then obviously he's just had hair blood, so she's just like wait, you know, which is so well written and so great. But also the fact that then she goes into her freezer and there's vodka in there, and carry goes, you know, for now there's no It's so funny funny. And it's funny because I remember at the time eyeing everyone was like, wait, what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean? What how does I remember? Like and should I do that?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Smart?
Speaker 1: Do you go?
Speaker 2: The fertility savings account?
Speaker 1: All of it was new. It's crazy to think about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean because we did write a lot from experience. But I remember when we did all the infertility stuff for Charlotte, I hadn't had children yet and like hadn't gone through that and then did afterward, and I remember a lot of that I think came from Michael Patrick King and his friends who had gone through it right. So again, like the men could write the hell out of it anything. But I felt like later like wow, that we did kind of nail it. I was kind of that was when of those things looking back, I went, oh it did. I mean, I alway felt like, oh, I could have added more because now I understand more.
Speaker 1: But I thought the same thing with my acting. Yeah, I was like I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't do more.
Speaker 1: I could have done more a big time. I don't know if that would have been needed necessarily, but like, once you start to go through those actual things, there is no high or low that is too high or too low.
Speaker 2: It's in that field. Oh yes, right, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: The adoption too, you know, like it happens pretty pretty simply. Yeah, and it's not that simple, as we both know.
Speaker 2: No, no, but.
Speaker 1: I mean I love that we did it, and maybe we I don't even know if the show would have benefited from more detail, you know.
Speaker 2: No, it's more about the emotion, that's the thing. Yeah, that's the thing. I sometimes I just think back, well, I just looked at it kind of a nod that like you did capture it, and it's somehow captured, you know, close to what it was. But it's true, you feel like I under like this is an odd thing to stay on it. But I feel like I knew women who had miscarriages when I was younger, but I didn't really know what that meant exactly to them and what kind of a loss that was.
Speaker 1: Because I don't think people talked about it.
Speaker 2: They didn't, which is sad, and so it really didn't like there were some things you kind of do have to go through to understand the depth of what it feels like to the person. And even if you have really good friends who went through it, it's just not quite the same, So that's true.
Speaker 1: I have to say, I think with the Charlotte miscarriage, I think the writing was beautiful and I had enough. I don't want to say lost, because that's not exactly the right word, but I had enough understanding from my friends and from just my own personal journey, not that I had been through that then it definitely had it, but you know, I had enough to draw on that, I think. And again, this is one of those things where like Hindsight is twenty twenty in some ways, but then also like our show has the ability to have the incredibly serious storylines but still be able to get out, you know, to come to a place. So like had we known more, had been able to get up off the sofa, get herself dressed up and go to that party.
Speaker 2: I don't know, well, I should say I think for you, I'm not going to speak for you because you're right here, But for actors, maybe you're used to playing things you haven't you don't you know how to draw on other things, And I guess as a writer I did the same. But just sometimes sometimes when you're writing and you know, like something's going to be a real gut punch, you can feel it in your gut. Yeah, you don't have to have gone through it, but like I can feel like, oh, this almost makes me cry to write it. And now this is like something I feel like I kind of would have had more of that feeling maybe, but.
Speaker 1: That's how it turned out. And I think people talk to me a lot about it now still, so you know over time that that's something that people connect with and isn't that the whole game? Right? So so yes, we can.
Speaker 2: No, I'm so and I'm so happy that it's I do feel like we're probably I'm probably more critical, but I'm so happy it holds up, like I feel like, and that's because really the themes of it, the love, the friendship, the loss, the longing, the like, loneliness, everything was the universal thing that whether you're texting or you're waiting for a phone call, it was kind of universal.
Speaker 1: Yes, And that's why I'm doing the podcast really because all these new people discovered it. But being on Netflix, right and then I really people had asked, you know, since podcasts became a thing, and I just didn't feel ready to look at it because we were all together doing and just like that, I felt like I had kind of a good advantage point of like, well, we're here now and look at how we began, and also I haven't watched them, and also I really wanted everyone's stories to be told. This is the joy of podcasting, right, Yeah, so all these people who've been our fans forever or new people can hear about what it was like to create it, and like you're saying, like, you know, the feeling of being in New York in the beginning when we didn't really know what it was going to be, but it had that like sizzily feeling, you know, and like that process of like walking around and having people start to talk to us about it and all of that, Like being there is incredible to think about. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Was it was really exciting? Yeah, And it was just I think even if it hadn't caught on, it was really nice to be writing and doing something that felt so relevant to what we were going through, what our friends were going through.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, and I'm just going to have a little just moment to talk about it and just like that, you know, whether and just like that obviously never going to be Sex and City. I don't ever think we ever thought it was going to be Sex and City, but again, we wanted to tell the stories of what we're going through in our thirties.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think that's an important point, right, is that like here we were, it was COVID. You know, COVID had just ended. We were just able to go back out, and the thing that we had always been doing was talking about what was happening for us in our lives at this time, not necessarily my Christian story, but.
Speaker 2: Like all the people we know and just like life goes on, Yeah, and why wouldn't that be something?
Speaker 1: But I think maybe we were a little bit overly ambitious thinking that our fans. I'm gonna laugh, I shouldn't really laugh, but it's kind of funny when I think about it now, like how naive in a way at least I was that our fans he has like you're talking about death and cancer. Like we were like, yeah, let's do it. And then everybody's like what are they doing? You know what I mean? And now it's over, which is sad. But I'm are you going to go there? But you know I'm in denial. I'm in denial because we've ended so many times. So let's talk a little. I'm wanting hear more. So you said, your agent, I want to go right on that show? Could I go right on that show? He says, yes, he gets you deal over there. You leave Raymond, You moved to New York. Yeah, got it, Like we did half and half to me too, right, We were all back and forth. So you kept your house here, you went to New York and then where you were, you and Jenny, you would have your own scripts. Yeah, wid you at some point were you consulting producers and then executive producers? What was that journey? Like, I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I think I was already like a co executive producer at Raymond, and I think I just came on as a consulting producer because literally it was a big pay cup from what I was doing. I was finally making money. But I was like, I don't care what the title is, and there were certain anyway, It's just that it was like all work for whatever at the time, and then as it was great, but I think it was just like I don't care about the title. I just want to be there. So I started as a consulting producer, got it, and then yeah, eventually became a co executive and Jenny both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and did you were you together with Jenny in terms of like we're a partnership co executive producer. That's how I felt you guys were, huh, But I don't think you technically were. No, we were just like Julian and a Lisa are a technical partnership.
Speaker 2: I think we just like were in sync a lot of times. We were like the two girls and when it was like Michael and Darren.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, she mean you to have your own scripts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we did. We collaborated on one, like the last We collaborated on splat the very end, and that was so fun to write with Jenny, so oh my god. But I collaborated with Michael on a different one too, so yeah.
Speaker 1: But so it was like kind of a small group of writers at that point, and you would collaborate and or just be in the writer's room together, yeah, brainstorming, and then on the set with us all the time, which is the other thing people really don't realize. No, And was that unusual for you at the time, Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was my first single camera so I hadn't even been on those kind of sets right out in the world, right, But also even since then, like I've done a lot and I haven't ever been on a show where you're there that much and where even you're doing the writing there like either in a restaurant nearby or upstairs by the camera.
Speaker 1: Set with your lapshop open on your lap which would be Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like to be there, and like not all show runners want to be there for everything, and and so we would just go along and while we were still writing. But it was great because we got to really like be the.
Speaker 1: Process and I know, so it was great for us because you know, if we had a question, we could just go over to you and we didn't have to worry if the director, we feel was like totally knowledgeable about the characters or the storyline or whatever. We could just check in with you guys, which was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes right, no, yes, no you could. I don't know if all the directors loved that.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: On my very first on Chicken Dance, Yes, oh, I think you asked me something which I answered because I didn't know the protocol of all that. And then I remember the director at the time who I saw recently at a DJA, I think, and she's still angry with me about this, and I was like, I didn't know. But anyway, she said something at the time like, oh, is that what we're gonna do? A good cup, bad cup? And I was like, what, I don't even know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I just answer a question, but my god.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that was unusual. Most of them totally appreciated and I never came back. Please, if you're listening, Victoria, I am sorry. I didn't know how it worked.
Speaker 1: I was new.
Speaker 2: I was just excited to be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm sure I was just excited to ask you a question and you should answer.
Speaker 2: It's like how we're going to play it and come out.
Speaker 1: But you know what I think that is about, and I think it's interesting to think about it. That is about the old school TV ways. Yeah, because there was a hierarchy.
Speaker 2: Well and eniment. It's really still the director who's supposed to talk to the actor.
Speaker 1: It was very different. They don't even want the writer to come. You should not go to a film set if you're a writer, unless you're like an Oscar winning writer.
Speaker 2: Right, And this is a better experience than that. I remember. I know you had Allen Coulter on who I loved too. I think I had written one. It still took me a while to understand, like the rhythm of a film set, because like you you know, we go, we see the as soon as you finished filming one scene, you go see the rehearsal of the next scene. Nobody's in costume yet they haven't done their hair and makeup for that scene. You see the rehearsal and then the director comes up, they light. There's so much that happens.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The rehearsal to me was like the first time hearing the actors read it, since like the table read maybe or changes. Yeah, so I would be I remember with Alan one time, I like had thoughts about it and he goes Cindy, and this was nice of him to tell me, and I remember it forever. He said, this would be like me leaning over your shoulder while you're writing a first draft, telling you, like what I think, Like I'm going to work it out. The actors are going to have thoughts and then when if you still feel like right issues And he was right. And it took me a while to just learn the rhythm of like when it was okay to interject or good to interject, because a lot of times, you guys would arrive at whatever was bothering me from the very beginning work. Well, that's good. It was only like once in a while would never be something in the staging of the rehearsal that you knew you needed to say something because it was going to be too late. That we don't wit for sure for sure, but it took we want to learn.
Speaker 1: Sense because in your mind you have written the scene. Therefore you have visualized the scene, right, And that's the weird thing about writing, right, is like in our industry, writing, of course is tremendously important, but then sometimes you guys are kind of pushed to the side, like please be quiet now, which is not really because it's a collaborative art space that we don't we can't do our job by ourselves, and you can't do your job and you can write it, but then it's just going to be on the page, you know what I mean. We could act by ourselves like on the street or whatever, but you know, we need each other. And then the director's in the middle of it all, and in depending on the director, they're either more open or less open or you know whatnot. I mean, everyone's different and I also think it's so interesting the vibe that's created. And one of the things I love about the old show and the new show, you know, is that it was always a very creative, you know place where people like I always felt, before we ever had a title or anything, right, that I was very included in the process. In Charlotte's trajectory and her arc. You know, Mike would always sit us down at the beginning before we went to work and say this is the plan, and then he would call us if it was changing, or he'd come grab us on the set and say can I talk to you? And you know, then we would come to you, like if we read something. I remember one time I had one of those really long Charlotte monologues, you know, where I just talked for like half a page or whatever, and I'm upset about something, you know what I mean. I think it was in the in the Tray era, and I came to you in the hallway of Silver Cup and I was like, Cindy, you know, I just feel like, you know, it's just hard to because you remember how we had to be word perfect.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's comedy.
Speaker 1: It's a comedy. It's exact right, it doesn't happen, don't know. I mean that was the that was the president said, and I think it's a good one because it wasn't. We didn't have an audience there to tell a sip. We were hitting the jokes right, So we had to trust the writing, you know, we had to trust the rhythms of the writing and the rhythms of the writing. And let me tell you when we did. And just like that, and we brought our new actors and I mean they're still talking about how.
Speaker 2: Hard it is.
Speaker 1: Oh really, because it's very specific, you know, and each character is also very specific from each other. And like my rhythm up talking, my syntax is not the same as charlotte syntax, right, And then sometimes depending on who wrote what episode, you'd be like, oh, I just can't say this. It can't get my mouth to form the words, you know what I mean. And I came to it and I was like, can we change it? And you were like no, Oh my god, that's a rood of me.
Speaker 2: Well, since Sex and See, I feel like I've worked on and when I directed a movie, I really wanted it to be a bit more playful and have more room for that, like I think, but I have noticed because I've now worked on some dramas and I don't know why, because I love comedy so much so I feel like I should be just But I've worked on dramas and I feel like it's somehow less precise. And it can be because it's very much the feeling and the plot and like you want the but comedy sometimes it's just like it's not funny one way, and it is funny.
Speaker 1: I think it's the rhythm of the words. You know, the rhythm of the words is super duper important. And I think the rhythm of the actors is also important, because you can't really teach comic timing. But I think that they have to work together right, and so sometimes you guys would change stuff, and I remember thinking that at the time, I don't know what was true, but I remember thinking I probably waited too long, because you know, there'd be like right after the table read, different people would request changes. And do you know what I mean, I waited till the hallway.
Speaker 2: So you're the same as me on the set, like when exactly do I enter right early but not too late.
Speaker 1: I also think for so long I never asked for anything because I was just so happy storyline right, Yeah, And so it was getting to word like I had a lot more because of Trey and I had these long, like emotional things rather than because in the beginning. At a certain point I have my like didactic like I'm going to get married and I've got this book and this book says done, which I haven't really gotten to yet, which I thought was first season. But first season, I'm just kind of there, like, you know, not quite one hundred percent knowing what to do or whatever.
Speaker 2: I can't tell at all.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. When I look, that's what I see. I see me underneath a layer of like pretend calm, you know what I mean, which obviously all of us feel at some point.
Speaker 2: But I feel like I knew Charlotte right from the baby floor, from the baby shower. For my first episode I watched, which You're.
Speaker 1: Very Charlotte, which I remember, like Jenny also Upper Eastside, you know, like once you guys came, I was like, oh, thank god, Oh thank god, I'm going to get some good storylines. They get me, they get me, I mean me, but also Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I'm saying a romantic I mean, I think of it just like the romantic side of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you got married with a white horse.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, all of us have our you know, our visions, and we try to make them come true, right, and that's kind of glorious.
Speaker 2: No, it is do your beauty of Charlotte. I think it was like very optimistic.
Speaker 1: She was also like, you know, she was gonna work hard, She's going to do what it took. She was not going to give up. You know. You gotta love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, shall we talk about this particularly so this is evolution, which is also like such a great I don't really I'm just rediscovering all of it when I watch it because I don't really remember it exactly, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and I thought I did, and then when I rewatched, I was like, oh, I forgot that storyline. I forgot the fertility, like the me too, freezing your eggs was in there, me too. I forgot the Samantha story, which is like I love that moment. There's a moment where Charlotte is like, like, Samantha getting her heartbroken was more confusing to Charlotte than a kiss from a gay man. And you're like, you're just bewilderment and everything in this episode I love.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed it. So I totally forgot John Chay, Oh yeah, was in our show. How did I not remember this? I was like, oh my god, what am I watching?
Speaker 2: Watching?
Speaker 1: And he said that we had so many I mean, and right now is when like it's really kicking in because people know what the show is now. The third season is going to be you know, next level, right, but like now is when we're really getting all the good people and writing all the good storylines. And it was so sad for Samantha. I felt really bad. I didn't remember this at all, this whole plan that she's basically this man John o'sha is he's almost like a different version of mister Big in a way right where she dated him when he was you know, a big deal and then he dropped her for a model that he married, and then they broke up and it was an ugly divorce and he had fallen in stature, which kind of made me laugh because now, if you're having an ugly divorce, I don't really think it affects the men, do you know what I mean? Doesn't know might affect the women, might not. I don't know, it's like everyone's having an ugly divorce basically, but whatever, that was interesting.
Speaker 2: Like you fell from the cover of Fortune to like page.
Speaker 1: Six exactly, exactly exactly. But so then she has a whole plan, and I love the way that you created this storyline for her because it makes total sense and you don't really see it coming that. It's not going to be like a kind of regular Samantha storyline, right yea, there's a whole plan that she's going to date this man again, even though Carry's like what are you doing? You really hurt you and we're all like huh what, oh what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Car said like he is the man who broke her heart and you're just like what And you know that was a possible story then got hurt.
Speaker 1: Which is pretty cool, and she seems you see that in her performance where she's like, well, I have a plan and I'm going to leave him before he does it to me. But then it doesn't go to plan.
Speaker 2: I think her plan was like right before they even have sex, she was going to be like right by then she's like, well maybe after sex, and then maybe.
Speaker 1: She thought she wouldn't have feelings because if you think about the very first pilot episode, she's like, I'm going to have a sex like a man without feelings, right, yea, so it makes total perfect sense. But she wasn't born like that, right, She went through things to get there. So it's kind of an interesting like backstory that we kind of don't ever really get. Also, I literally mentioned my parents. I think at one point I'm like, what you guys, they're in Connecticut. I think we knew that part. But and then I think also previously in a Jenny episode, I say, oh, we don't talk about feelings and we just are very good at tennis.
Speaker 2: And which episode I can't even remember which episode, but the one where you're in the spawn You're like, I didn't grow up in a naked house?
Speaker 1: Was up?
Speaker 2: I forgot? I think we wouldn't know that.
Speaker 1: I mean little tidbits, little tidbits where if we collected them all, they make a pretty good picture. But I love the whole that we don't spend time on the backstory generally speaking. But okay, so we have we have this. Let's just talk about our guest starts for a second because they're so great. So we've got John Shay as Dominic who's the smith's drill, and we've got Dan Futterman just to dream.
Speaker 2: Dreamy, I mean in every way because in the episode we're not sure Charlotte like if he's gay or straight, goes on a date with them, like says, I didn't watch my hair, I wore last like it wasn't a date. He kisses her. This amazing and it's good. So when we cast that, when we were casting, when Dan Fetterman, I can't even believe he came in to read because he's like a big actor. I would we even know, But anyway he did, and both Jenny and I were enamored, and Darren and Michael were enamored. Every it's perfect. Everybody loves him.
Speaker 1: Yes, now, let me ask you this about this storyline, because this is one of the storylines. When I thought back on it, because it's Butterman, all we remember is Bututterman, right, But then I did remember that there was some kind of a metrosexual conversation, which was a word at the time. It's not a word anymore.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I don't know if that's when ages that. Well, the discussion of gay street manastery gay men like this is one of those things where I look back and I think, well, at the time, it seemed hilarious and forward thinking, and now it feels like very binary, and like I'm embarrassed that that was how we talked about it. But you kind of I don't know if you can judge like you then n we're right now that we would write it that way.
Speaker 1: No, of course we wouldn't write it that way. But I also thought, because I had Benito Skinner on last week, huh have you watched his show over Compensating? Oh my god, it's so good to be Okay, not only is it so good, you quote Charlotte often, which is adorable on his podcast, not in the show. And he told me when he came on the pod that when he so he created videos for Instagram during the pandemic and then put them on YouTube. This is how he became successful. It's incredible, right, He's incredibly inspiring and awesome. So when he got his show picked up at Amazon Prime, it's called overcompensating, and it's about kind of pretending that he wasn't gay and overcompensating so that no one would notice that he was, in fact gay. And the journey to in college coming out right. It's a very funny and adorable show and very reminiscent of early day sex in the city. He told me when he came on the pod that he once he got the show picked up, he was like, oh my god, what do I do now? And he watched the show throughout the whole show three times to study the structure.
Speaker 2: Wo isn't that cool? I mean, I think that's the thing is that there's still very individual stories. There's still men of a lot of trouble coming out. There's still women who are confused whether if someone's gay or not, people who.
Speaker 1: Are like it's all very fluid, Like he wasn't inside confused, but he was presenting you so like he has a best friend that he tries to date. Yeah, but they don't have sex because he's actually gay, and he kind of knows he's gay, but he doesn't want anyone else to know. So then he rags to the frat boys that he I can't repeat it. It involves sex wherever he rags, and then she finds out, and then they have a fight and then they make up and they're best friends. Right, And so he what he said to me is like the healing of having you know, gay friends, gay male whatever with women friends, like there's a healing in it, you know, and they can rely on each other. And I thought that was just so great.
Speaker 2: I think for me, the lesson is, like you can tell any individual story that's true and that's true to you. Like if that's so, I think that's a defense you can still use, and it can be as specific and it can I think what was fun about section in the day at the time is that we could make these pronouncements that felt real and like in the Zeitgeisten did start conversations and we're fun, but they were kind of generalizing about men or women or gay you know. So at the time it seem hilarious that we were capturing something that seemed true. But I think maybe because it was trying to be generalizing that made it like when you look back, maybe we were.
Speaker 1: I also think at the time, I believe that we were all going around talking about metrosexual and they were all writing magazines about metrosexual, which I think if I don't know if I'm right, but it was basically like a straight man theoretically who grooms themselves like a gay man?
Speaker 2: Right, and culturally, we thought, yeah, we have culture things that we thought were gay, right, which not necessarily but like great style, great culture or references. Right, Yeah, but we don't.
Speaker 1: Ever use the word metrosexual in the episode, which I thought we did, but we don't. We do we talk about gay straight men and gay straight gay men or whatever, which also like I was like, I don't even know what the heck we're saying, but whatever, it's super interesting, right, But basically I do ask him have you ever been with a man? And then he asked me if I've ever been with a woman? And I don't answer, which I find weird also, right, and then this is where I thought was also interesting because I couldn't remember the details. I just knew it was like a questionable storyline, right, But it's also Dan Futterman, So yeah, we love it.
Speaker 2: I love it still, Like I stand by it. I just think like some of those things don't diet an age as well. But I still love the storyline and like you trying to make sense of like.
Speaker 1: What is happening? Yeah, yeah, And then at the end when the mouse is there and he jumps on the chair and kind of squeals, and then the voiceover says something to the effect of Charlotte wasn't well enough developed in her masculine side to be with someone who was so well developed in their feminine side. Yeah, something like that, which is a very deep statement. And that's fine to say, isn't it.
Speaker 2: No, I think it. I mean, I think it. I mean I love that whole. As someone who's been confused myself and married someone who realized he was gay after being married, I feel uniquely qualified to say that it's confusing sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is confusing, and.
Speaker 2: You do kind of want some clarity sometimes just because you need to. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So I don't do anything wrong with one in clarity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I love that in that scene when when you ask him in bed and he says like, I'm a pastry chef who lives in Chelsea. If I were gay, I would be gay totally, like, which was really smart.
Speaker 1: At that time.
Speaker 2: It's true, like he wouldn't he could.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you just be You'd be doing great? He would be, Yeah, I mean very busy. Your schedule would be booked and you're adorable.
Speaker 2: But I also love in this from this scene where you bring Carrie and Stanford to the place for the pastries just to decide yes.
Speaker 1: And it must have been like the casting of of Futterman, because literally everyone at the table likes him. Yeah right, like every like Willie says, Stanford says will I'm attracted to him, so he must be straight, which is so funny.
Speaker 2: And all the good ones are straight, even the gay ones. It was really, really, God Willy, I know.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: That's a fun one to rewatch though, of him. So fun.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys, it is too much fun to have Cindy Schuback here. So we are going to come back for part two later in the week. Please join us on Are You a Charlotte