Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're going to spend all weekend looking for leaked picks from Taylor Swift's wedding and we're not even ashamed to admit it. It's Friday, July third, and on today's show, Utah Royals players Mandy McGlenn and Chloe Lacasse join us to discuss Utah's strong start to the season. The team's focus heading out of the NWSL's nearly month long break and playing for their respective national teams, plus a long wait is nearly over, getting their start in Chicago and backflipping into the Good Game Hall of Fame. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome Backslaics, Happy Friday. Here's what you need to know today.
Speaker 2: Let's start with soccer.
Speaker 1: Because the NWSL regular season resumes tonight after a four week break to accommodate a women's FIFA window and scheduling conflicts with the men's World Cup. All sixteen teams are back in action this weekend. That includes three matches to night, beginning with the Washington Spirit hosting the Houston Dash.
Speaker 2: The Spirit are unbeaten.
Speaker 1: In their last six meetings against the Dash and will be looking to make it seven. Also tonight, the Denver Summit hosts the Kansas City Current. But for those of you on Lindsay Heap's watch, even though she's back on American soil, she actually isn't eligible to suit up for the Summit until the transfer window officially opens on July fourteenth. Same goes for Austin national Sam Kerr, who signed with Gotham during the break. Other storylines to watch for this weekend include Ali sent Nor making her Angel City debut against the Orlando Pride tonight, and on Sunday, Lily Reel making her debut at.
Speaker 2: The Boston Legacy.
Speaker 1: And our eyes will be on the Portland Thorns, who will look to continue their home unbeaten season when they host Racing Louisville, and will keep an eye on the Portland Thorns, who will look to continue their home unbeaten season when they host Racing Louisville. More soccer, It's playoff time for show side the Minnesota Aurora FC. Now you remember season one of Good Game. We encouraged a bunch of slices to support the community owned Aurora by grabbing a slice of the squad. Well our investment continues to pay off. After a twelve oh to oh regular season and a fifth straight Heartland Division title, our squad secured the number one seed in the Central Conference for the twenty twenty six USLW League playoffs. Aurora is going to take on Union Macombe today in the Central Conference Semifinals, a three point thirty eastern start at Hi Mark Stadium in Pittsburgh. If they win, they're off to the Central Conference Championship on Sunday, where a birth.
Speaker 2: In the National Semifinals would be on the line.
Speaker 1: Those semifinals will be Friday July tenth, followed by the USLW League Championship on Friday July seventeenth.
Speaker 2: Here's to a deep run for our team.
Speaker 1: And while we're on the topic of the Aurora, friend of the show Frankie de la Cretaw wrote a nice piece about the team and other show fave, the Portland Cherrybombs, sharing how both teams are leaning into inclusive values to attract fans. We're so proud to be a part of what the Aurora stand for. We'll link to the story in the show notes to the WNBA, where all Star game starters have been announced. Paige Beckers, Asia Wilson, Brianna Stewart, Olivia Miles, and Caitlin Clark lead the list of ten players selected by fans, current WNBA players, and media. Stewart and Wilson are both eight time All Stars, while Miles, Kelsey Mitchell, Jessica Shephard, and Gabby Williams are all first time All Star Starters also voted as starters Aliah Boston and Natasha Howard. The twelve reserves will be announced next Tuesday as part of the league's thirtieth season celebration. WNBA legends Cynthia Cooper and Teresa Weatherspoon will be honorary gms and will draft their respective rosters from the pool of twenty two All Stars now. Interestingly, the WNBA press release about these starters also includes a voting breakdown of how each player was ranked by the fans, media, and their fellow players. Among the guards, Beckers was voted first by the fans and first by her fellow players, and second by the media, but the most disparate ranking went to Caitlin Clark. She was ranked second among guards by fans, third by the media, and eleventh by her fellow players. Meantime, Asia Wilson was the highest ranked front court player, receiving the most votes from players and second.
Speaker 2: Most from fans and media. More WNBA.
Speaker 1: This weekend's slate of contest begins tonight with the newly crowned Commissioner Cup champions, the New York Liberty hosting the league leading Minnesota Lynx. There's no official word on the status of Nefisi Callier and Dorky Juhas, who both returned to practice this week for the Links after missing the start of the season to injuries, but it's still likely too early for either of them to make a return to competition. On Saturday, an Independence Day matchup between the Atlanta dream and the Golden State Valkyries in a Town. The Dreams stumbled into their Thursday night matchup with the Mystics on a three game skid, including losing back to back contests to that Golden State team on June twenty fourth and twenty sixth, so can the Vals hand them a third straight l in less than two weeks to Tennis, the third round of the Wimbledon Women's singles tournament gets underway today with Coco Goff, Jessica Bagoula, and Naomio Osaka all on the schedule, so we mentioned yesterday that the first round doubles match featuring Serena and Venus Williams was in doubt after Serena tweaked Tornee playing in the singles tournament on Tuesday, while that doubles match, initially scheduled for Thursday, was actually moved to today, but as of this recording still unclear if Serena will take the court. More tennis, the WTA announced on Wednesday that this year's WTA Finals will be moving from Riod, Saudi Arabia to Indian Wells, California. Riod has been the host of the WTA Finals for the last two years, a partnership that drew criticism due to Saudi Arabia's human rights record, and Riod was initially supposed to host again this year, but in a statement issued on Wednesday, the WTA said the organization requested to move the tournament before the end of the three year deal. Per the statement, the WTA and Saudi Tennis Federation mutually agreed on the change. In a separate release, the WTA announced that Indian Wells, which already hosts the WTA one thousand tournament, every March will be used for this year's finals competition. Finally, Slace's Team Good Game is about to start our annual summer hiatus ahead of the launch of season.
Speaker 2: Three on Monday, July twentieth.
Speaker 1: While we still have a bunch of episodes coming your way over the next two weeks, they won't include The Need to Know, So here are a few more events to keep tabs on in our absence. The Amundi Avion Championship, one of the five LPGA Majors, tease off at the Avon Resort Golf Club and Avon Lea, Band France on July ninth, with a nine point one million dollar.
Speaker 2: Perse on the line.
Speaker 1: The Athletes Unlimited Softball League regular season continues through July twentieth, with the postseason schedule to get underwan July twenty third, and the top three teams will make those playoffs, with the Talons, Cascade, and Blaze currently holding those spots. Women's Elite rugby is also in full swing, with the regular season running through July twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: There are also a.
Speaker 1: Few women's the Cross League games on the schedule, including this Sunday's All Star Game, as well as games hosted in Chicago next weekend and Fairfield, Connecticut, the following weekend. As always got to send our thanks to incredible super Slice Joey Maldonado for his excellent women's sports schedule, which will help you keep up with everything going on while we're on break.
Speaker 2: We'll link to it in the show notes.
Speaker 1: All right, sliceas want to give a big shout out to friend of the show and fellow Love San Francisco owner Alicia Montano. It was confirmed last week that Montano will officially be awarded an Olympic bronze medal in the eight hundred meter track event from the twenty twelve London Games. In the fourteen years since that Olympic final, three athletes, all from Russia, including the original gold and bronze medalist, have been stripped of their results due to anti doping violations. South Africa's Castor Semenya was upgraded from silver to gold all the way back in twenty seventeen, but it took far longer for the case involving the original bronze medalist to be charged and then it was appealed. In a post on Instagram, Montano said she will receive her long awaited medal during a ceremony at the twenty twenty eight Los Angeles Olympics, writing quote, more work to be done to ensure it's done right, but for now, we celebrate one victory at a time.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: We hate how long you've had to wait for this moment, Alicia, and we hate that you still mourn the fact that your one hundred year old grandmother, who watched your race from the hospital, never got to see your finish upgraded. But we're still so excited to finally see you receive your medal in front of the rest of your family and friends.
Speaker 2: All Right, we got to take.
Speaker 1: A break when we come back. Floating the Provo River with the Utah Royals. Mandy McGlenn and Chloe Lacasse joining us now. She's a goalkeeper for the Utah Royals of the NWSL and the US women's national team. She previously played for Gotham FC, helping the team to the twenty twenty three NWSL title. A Jacksonville, Florida native, she played her college soccer for Virginia Tech, where she was a back to back All acc first teamer. In her first season with the Royals in twenty twenty four, she earned a nomination for NWSL Goalkeeper of the Year. She got her first senior national team call up October twenty fifth of twenty twenty four and her first cap October thirtieth, a clean sheet against Argentina. She forces her family to watch her learn how to play guitar on FaceTime.
Speaker 2: It's man McGlynn. Hi, Mandy, Hi, thanks for joining.
Speaker 1: At the end there no, it sounds like a joy to watch you play. Here comes the Sun fifteen straight times, missing with the notes.
Speaker 3: They hate it every time, but it's fun for me.
Speaker 1: Yep also joining us. She's a forward for the Utah Royals and the Canadian national team. A Sudbury, Ontario native, she started playing soccer at age five. Played her college footy for Iowa, where she was the school's top score during all four seasons there and finished tied for the school record with one hundred and twelve points, second all time with forty three goals, tied for first and shots, and second in game winning goals and assists. After playing in Toronto, Iceland and Portugal, she signed with Arsenal of the Women Super League and then joined the Royals in twenty twenty four. She made her debut for the Canada national team in twenty twenty one, but also has Icelandic citizenship.
Speaker 2: She's a black belt in taekwondo. It's Chloe Lacasa. Hi, Chloe, Hi, how's it going?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me?
Speaker 2: Are you a black belt forever?
Speaker 5: Like? Yeah, I'm got in a while, David still count I like to think that it does.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, good, I love that. Let's talk about the FIFA break because y'all are just coming off of it. What was the highlight of your time off, Mandy.
Speaker 6: I went to Spain with my whole family and we visited my partner's family, so that was really amazing.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that was probably my highlight. I saw Harry Styles twice, so that was sick, big, big, big fan.
Speaker 1: I have a friend who went to his show in London and said it was a literal life changing experience for her, Like before and after before those Styles.
Speaker 3: It was really great. I would have to agree.
Speaker 2: I need to go, Chloe. What was the highlight for you?
Speaker 5: Definitely chill time with the fam. I was planning on just painting a room and it became demolition zone. But we did renovate the room and we're good to go.
Speaker 2: You did it yourself with hammers and everything.
Speaker 5: Well, my partner was involved, and unfortunately he's the reason for the demolition.
Speaker 4: It was just supposed to be painting. But we're working on her handyman skills right now.
Speaker 2: Hilarious. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we're returning to play in such an excellent spot second on the NWSL table.
Speaker 2: This is a surprise for many.
Speaker 1: Mandy, you had to owe and two start to the season and then ten game unbeaten streaks. So were there just regular growing pains to start the season or was there some sort of come to Jesus moment revelation that happened after game two that really got you going.
Speaker 6: I think we just needed to stick to what we wanted to do and accomplish. And yeah, it was just getting the feel for the first couple games. You know, we had some injuries to start with as well, so I think once we the whole squad got healthy and we started, you know, really knocking out the game plan consecutively, like that's when you saw us reach our flow state.
Speaker 3: And it's been.
Speaker 6: Really really fun to play in witness review and learn from.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of the point that we're at right now.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: Flow State has been a through line all week with so many of our guests, and it is a feeling that you get in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that that's how you described it, because it is different than just oh, things are kind of clicking for us. It's like, oh, we're all moving as kind of a unit, which is really fun to see.
Speaker 2: What's gone right in your opinion, Chloe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mandy definitely covered the bases.
Speaker 5: But I think the togetherness of the group has been our strength, truthfully, and I think we're really figuring out what we want as individuals and kind of playing off each other's strengths in that way. And yeah, and we've just simplified the game and we're strong group and we're highlighting individuals, but it also it's the collective that's been our real superpower I think this season.
Speaker 1: Speaking of individual goals, you are tied for the team lead with four goals, also ties your career high in Utah. You also have a career high three assists through twelve matches. So where's the chemistry working for you in terms of the team success, but also you managing to keep showing up.
Speaker 2: In the box score.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean kind of what I said previously. I think we've just done a great job of working the collective, and we have I think we mentioned that this week we have eight different goal scorers, which I mean, it's hard to defend when you really don't know who it's going to be right at the end of the day. So we're highlighting individual strengths. But like I said, the collective has been a priority, and we've been really showcasing that each and every match.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: The league is gonna look a little different after this month long break. Among the many moves, Alli's sent Noor now with Angel City, Lily Reel is in Boston, Sam Kurr is back when the NWSL with got them, Lindsay Heaps is in with the Summit. This second half is going to be a whole new BALLGAMEU pun intended. So how do you keep momentum going after your great start.
Speaker 6: Mandy, Yeah, the focus is always going to be on us. We always, you know, work out our processes for the week and how we can work on you know, utah, and we're not going to focus on you know, outward things right the noise around us, just executing our process goals. One step at a time has been so important for this team and just putting one foot in front of the other.
Speaker 3: So yeah, bring on Lindsay, bring on Curve. Well, we're going to focus on Utah Royals.
Speaker 1: I have to start a second stat line for backflips in the league again, and we were without for so long. I think she still got it in her. I hope so not against y'all. Of course, we don't want any of those usually follow goals totally. We'll hope for that against other teams. Chloe, how long into this FIFA break did you start practicing again regularly and has it come up in any of those practices and game plans that there are these new strategic kind of things to look out for in terms of stars moving or arriving.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think, like Mandy said, we're just focusing on us right now. I think the first half of the season we really kind of honed in on what we want to be and what our identity is going forward, and we're just going to kind of keep working on that and strengthening it.
Speaker 4: And that's I think we have. We focusing on us.
Speaker 5: However, mention on the five second throw ins and on those types of refereeing things that we have focused on.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll allow the refs to steal focused but maybe not stars from other teams. All right, Uh, Mandy, a finger injury sidelined you at the part of the season and you were out for a pretty long stretch there. How did you stay connected to the team and stay ready so that when you got back and you felt like you were part of that collective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, luckily with a finger injury, like, I can still be a soccer player, just not a goalkeeper. So staying on top of my footwork was a priority and that can be involved in a lot of drills with the team, So that connection came there.
Speaker 3: And just staying you know, uplifting.
Speaker 6: In the in the locker room before games, still having that like loud presence that goalkeepers have.
Speaker 2: So that was goalkeepers.
Speaker 1: Maybe y'all are kind of weird and off to yourself, so you're one of the ones that's.
Speaker 2: In the mix.
Speaker 3: I'm in the mix. I'm dancing.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think all of our goalkeepers here in the mix. So that's really fun. And yeah, so just staying connected in that way and just yeah, for being involved in all the meetings, asking a lot of questions and so it was just an easy transition for when I came back.
Speaker 1: Speaking of being out of the game, you are part of some very serious NWSL lore. Neelie Martin's championship game goalie stint for those who don't remember, in the twenty twenty three NWSL Championship, Mandy was sent off for handling the ball outside the penalty box in the seventh minute of second half stoppage time with the team up two to one trying to hang on for the title, and Neelie Martin had to go into net for the last moments of the game with the championship on the line.
Speaker 2: Take us back to that moment.
Speaker 1: What were you feeling and thinking and how grateful were you that maybe Neely didn't have to show.
Speaker 2: Off to watch of her keeping seals.
Speaker 6: Well, it's funny, is like she's my roommate, best friend, and like she always put on my gloves and I always hit the ball at her. So I was like, she's got this when the moment happened. But the moment in itself, I was like I have to do something here like and then after it happened, I was like, I need a practice heading the ball outside the box. Cause I can't do that anymore. But it was honestly the craziest experience.
Speaker 3: Of my life.
Speaker 6: I yeah, I'm so grateful. And Neelie didn't have to make a save. She went the right way though, So very proud of her. And I was in the locker room like by myself and just hearing tears. I had no idea if they had scored, if they tied, it like, no idea. So but it was finally my goalkeeper coach that came in. It was like, you want us a game, and I was like, I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I put it in a little rocky situation. But so it was so crazy, really really fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun because you won, it's fun.
Speaker 3: Because of you want and now it's a good story to tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good trivia for you know.
Speaker 1: Gotham defender Neelye Martin was in goal for their NWSL title winning Yeah. Chloe, let's talk national team because you made your return to the Canada national team in February after missing some time to a torne acl How did it feel to have worked your way back to getting to wear that national team kid again?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was definitely. It was a great moment.
Speaker 5: The national team did a great job though throughout my injury to stay connected. We had a coaching staff shift as well, so there was a lot of i'll say turbulence in there at that time. But yeah, the coaching staff, the new ones that they brought into a great job and keeping myself connected with the group and kind of seeing which direction that they want to take as well, right, because it was a complete shift in staff, So yeah, it was It's always a privilege to get to wear the badge, especially cause it's Canada Day today. Shout out to that, Yes, but yeah, I was happy to be back with.
Speaker 4: The girls as well.
Speaker 2: And so far, so good.
Speaker 5: We're on the right track and we got the qualifiers coming up. Mandy's going to be an enemy real soon. But yeah, no, the group is in a good place and we're looking forward to what's to come.
Speaker 1: I should say, Happy Canada Day. We're recording this on Wednesday. We did happen to run an interview with the Toronto Tempo GM today and everyone was like, well done, you running this.
Speaker 2: On Canada Day and I was like, oh, yep, we definitely knew that and did that with intention.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the change in staff, you were there under Bev Priestman at the You know, you were part of the team that got caught up in the drone scandal in the twenty twenty four Olympics. Things are very different now, whole new look. How different does it feel for you under coach Casey Stony.
Speaker 5: I think it was so important to build trust with Casey and I think she's done a great job with the group and making sure that we feel like we're in a safe place, because truthfully, it was very rocky after those Olympic Games.
Speaker 4: And it took a bit of time, and that was a big part of it.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of healing that had to be done when it came to coaching staff and players. But now now we're in a good place. We've turned the page and we're just looking forward.
Speaker 4: We're not looking back anymore.
Speaker 2: I do have to say, y'all are lucky.
Speaker 1: You're Canadian and our vibes and feelings about you are so positive. It almost felt weird to be mad about it, even though if it had been literally almost any other country, we would have been so pissed about the drones and presuming so much worse was going, like, oh, they're all in out.
Speaker 2: And we were like, oh, they're nice Canadians. Hey, they probably didn't.
Speaker 1: Know anything, right like you guys really had earned so much goodwill beforehand that I think it passed more quickly than had it been maybe some other squads. So glad to see fresh slate and really all the players from that team that are that are coming together.
Speaker 2: Mandy, let's talk about the national team for you.
Speaker 1: Because the battle for the US starting keeper, the replacement of long time star a listener, it's stressful for everyone involved.
Speaker 2: It's exciting, but it's stressful.
Speaker 1: How do you handle the pressure of competing for that gig and whether you read the stories about who's got the lead and who's in the running and all of that.
Speaker 6: For me, I had to kind of adopt the principle that we have here of just like focusing on ourselves. So it's just like, yeah, I can't put too much pressure on expectations or outcomes or opportunities.
Speaker 3: I can just go to camp and do my job.
Speaker 6: And the job is keep the ball of the net, don't lose the ball with your feet, and.
Speaker 3: Do your best and have fun.
Speaker 6: So I think I did a lot of work mentally because it's just a lot of eyes, a lot of opinions. So doing a lot of work mentally with our sports psychologist has been really great for you know, my well being and and to be being able to handle this position.
Speaker 1: You've spoken in the past about the importance of addressing mental health seeking counsel with the therapist or just a trusted friend, and how you like that the national team calls it mental fitness another muscle to work out. So can you share some of the ways you think Emma Hayes and that staff at the national team really help players stay on top of their mental health.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I really like we do like group meetings and it's just kind of like talking about like the areas of the game where it's not just technical soccer or tactical soccer. It's about you know, how do you survive under pressure, how do you thrive? And like what are things that you can notice about yourself And so yeah, we just all kind of like do a lot of reflection and just start preparing our brains. Okay, like we're going to be in Brazil during the World Cup. This is how the game is like in Brazil. How can you handle this? So it's definitely putting our brains in that environment before we're actually there, and I think that really helps our like mental fitness and this of like, Okay, we are preparing for this, you know, a year in advance, and you know mentally before we even get on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been there before. Quite literally there.
Speaker 1: I loved getting the inside look at Emma's speech when y'all were not the home team and not the favorite team for that first game in Brazil and her saying like, Hey, this is how it's going to be. You're not always going to be beloved, and like take it all in, feel it, know it so that next time you're like, we've been here before, We're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She just seems like a.
Speaker 1: Really singular voice and someone that I'm really excited to keep learning how she's leading that team, you know, Chloe.
Speaker 2: When I've had.
Speaker 1: Softball players on the show, one of the things we talk about is how hard it is to play a sport where failure is the norm. Right. If you're hitting you know, three out of ten balls, that's great, that's Hall of Fame level.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So as a forward and as someone who wants to see on the sheet the success of what you've done, how do you handle you know, maybe a drought between goals.
Speaker 2: How do you stay mentally ready for the next game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think in the attacking positions in general, there's always someone who has something to say. You could have the best game of your life in your mind, but someone's going to think it's the worst. I think that's also one of the big differences I think about playing in Europe and playing in the States.
Speaker 4: I think in the States people are a.
Speaker 5: Lot more optimistic, They're a lot more positive, whereas sometimes I think out in Europe it's a little bit more narrowed and you can get targeted in a.
Speaker 4: Lot of moments.
Speaker 5: But for me, it's definitely just about contributing. And that doesn't have to be a goal or in assist. But there's so many different ways contribute. Can have high pressure, you could be defending, you could be all over the place, right, But yeah, it's about contribution and I know what that looks like for me, and I know when I can walk off that pitch happy.
Speaker 4: And I think it's about.
Speaker 5: Identity, right, and you have to know what kind of fills your cup out on the pitch and what's going to help your team get the w at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know one interesting thing.
Speaker 1: My former colleague at ed ESPN, Rachel Epstein, has just taken over as chief marketing officer for the NWSL, and we were talking about storytelling in the league and how the American audience receives soccer. The things we talked about was how it's a little bit harder to know what happened in a game and know what kind of players you're watching, how elite they really are when you don't have well, she had forty five points and eleven rebounds and three blocks. It's a more cerebral game. It's a game that requires understanding. So if you put on your marketing hat, what would you tell people about your Utah Royals team, Chloe and what they should be watching for. Who's really amazing at this thing that they should keep an eye out for, Like, how can you make us a better viewer of your team?
Speaker 5: I think if I'm going to give a shout out to someone right now, it's going to be Nuria. I think she's very underrated, and I think she does all the little things right and I think she's been excelling with this group. She's been so important for us. But because she's a little bit quiet. People don't really put a spotlight on her.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: But I'll give it to her because I think she's done an excellent job and she's a great player. But I think, yeah, like I said, the collective of this group is definitely a strength.
Speaker 4: We're high pressing team.
Speaker 5: Our back line has also done a fantastic job, so shout out to you guys, Mandy. But yeah, I think we're able to work in tight spaces very well, which is a little bit unorthodox in moments with the NWSL.
Speaker 4: But I think we're a.
Speaker 5: Good blend of being able to play in tight spaces and also being able to expose teams if they have high back lines. So we're a little bit of everything right now.
Speaker 2: Mandy, What about you make us better at watching the Utah Royals.
Speaker 3: I mean, we love to convert chances into goals.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's our whole thing is scoring goals, and we've gotten better at it in the last couple of games.
Speaker 3: So and we're finding.
Speaker 6: Different ways to do it, as Chloe said, with eight different goal scorers. So it's not just the typical cutbacks or off set piece its. It's a little bit of everything. So we're definitely a creative team with a lot of flexibility and adaptability to put the.
Speaker 3: Ball in the back of the net.
Speaker 6: And I think we can do that because, like Chloe said, like we can press high because we've got great defenders in the back and we want to keep the ball.
Speaker 3: So I would say, come watch Utah for some good cerebral cerebral soccer.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that as a keeper too. You went straight for offense. That's unusual. Usually i'd be like hearing all about Kate del Favin, who's doing work in the back.
Speaker 2: So do you want to give any props to the focus? I think it's back there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I couldn't do like my job with all my back floor. I mean, kid's constantly sliding into every position on the field doing slide ridiculous slide tackles. Cale's so smart in her positioning. She breaks up a lot of play for US Nuria. Like you said, her one B one defending has been incredible this year. And Yannie Thompson is like another ford on the on on our on our team. So I'm so happy with our back four and they're making my job really easy right now. So also watch for some great defending.
Speaker 2: Yes, love it. Love it.
Speaker 1: As a keeper, do you do training specifically focused on your vision, like training your brain to see the ball any differently than maybe the field players do.
Speaker 6: I do blaze pod work, which is like light reflective work with speed and different colors. I think it is really fast, fascinating and it helps my you know, hand eye coronation as well as yeah, just visualizing seeing something different very quickly, so I don't translating it to the field. It's just quick hand eye coronation, but also like depth perception and you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, that's kind of what I work on with my eyes.
Speaker 1: Utah sometimes feels like it's a little island, and I think that's part of the reason why during COVID that's where the competition was.
Speaker 2: It's like nestled in this little mountain area a bar.
Speaker 3: I remember that. That was crazy.
Speaker 2: It was beautiful. Yeah, I mean it was beautiful. It was a great setting for it.
Speaker 1: But I also do feel like and like no offense to y'all and being second in the table is really helping with this. But sometimes when I'm thinking about NWSL teams, I'm like, what's the one I'm forgetting And it's it's utall, but I think it's just partly the location.
Speaker 2: On the map and all of that.
Speaker 1: So tell us about the vibes, Chloe, Like, for those of us who haven't made it to a game there, who haven't made the track because it's not in a big city, that maybe we're already visiting and then checking the calendar for a game, Like, what are the vibes in Utah? What are the team activities? What does everyone do when they're not out on the pitch.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, all my friends that have come visited, they've also been surprised because, like you said, they didn't know much about Utah. So it's definitely somewhere I think people really under rate in the States, and it's a gem that people should absolutely visit. So what better thing to do than come to Utah Royals game. Plus the stadium setting is incredible when the sun is setting. Sometimes when I'm on the pitch. Don't tell anybody, Okay, we're telling everybody right now, but I do tend to just kind of look at the sunset towards mountains and it's kind of like, wow, Okay, this is beautiful, but yeah, no, there's great things to do if you're an outdoorsy person, hiking, you could even go fly fishing. We have some some players that go and try that out. Yeah, I think if you like the outdoors and smaller city vibes, it's a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like a good fit for a Canadian. A lot more open space than the rest of America. Y'all are used to that up there in America's hat.
Speaker 4: It's very on brand, yeah for Canadians.
Speaker 2: Mandy sell Us on Utah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a beautiful place. The chloy I think you hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 6: One of our favorite team activities in the summertime is floating down the Provo River, So you get on like a little mountain stream and you just float on down. Summer is definitely really fun here. Definitely a lot of lakes, paddle boarding, great outdoor walks when the smoke isn't bad. And yeah, I think it's just a yeah. Like you said, a hidden gym is perfect. And you know, our stadium is beautiful. You have the mountains in the background. They turned pink during the sunset and sometimes have the white caps on them.
Speaker 3: So it definitely has surprised me too.
Speaker 6: I didn't think I was going to end up in Utah being a Florida girl, And here I am in my late life and you know, taking my dog out on trail walks. So yeah, it's definitely a really beautiful place to live.
Speaker 2: Good sell good, cell y'all. I bought it. I bought it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need to do a Royals Superlatives speed round Mandy, who's the best dancer on the team?
Speaker 3: DJ?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Let's use full names though, so that if people don't have them all memorized. So, Mandy, who's the best dancer on the team?
Speaker 3: Daria Jackson?
Speaker 2: You don't know her name? How do you expect us to the car?
Speaker 6: DJ?
Speaker 3: I just don't want to misurround it?
Speaker 2: Hilarious?
Speaker 1: Okay, Chloe does a GK okay DJ the GK Chloe, who's the best answer?
Speaker 5: I'll give Mandy contention and I'll probably say Tatum Malaso.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have seen Tatum dance at Kayla Sharple's wedding.
Speaker 2: She's got moves y. Who's the best dressed Chloe.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say Mina Tanaka.
Speaker 3: Mandy, I'm gonna say Breckin Mazingo.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's one for me to look up. I don't know her fits man. Who's most likely to pick the locker room playlist?
Speaker 3: Mea Justice?
Speaker 2: That's another another keeper Chloe, same.
Speaker 4: Answer, Yeah, same answer.
Speaker 2: What kind of tunes does me A rock?
Speaker 3: All of them?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm and very loud?
Speaker 2: We love that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very loud, spoken like one of the two thirty year olds on the team.
Speaker 2: It's too loud in here. I'm okay, Chloe.
Speaker 1: Who's the most likely to piss off coach Jimmy Coon wrightes uh?
Speaker 5: I think on a Tata stuff on some toes, but in the best way.
Speaker 1: Who do you think, Mandy? I think I'm going to back that, okay, Anna. And who's Jimmy's favorite?
Speaker 2: Mandy?
Speaker 3: I'll say he loves Mina?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you say?
Speaker 3: Everyone loves Mina?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love it? Okay. Last question for you.
Speaker 1: In a couple of weeks on the show, we're doing our first good game of Sara Spain Movie Club and we're rewatching Bend It like Beckham, So is this a film that was part of your childhood soccer careers and do you have any memory.
Speaker 2: Of whether you liked it or how you felt about it?
Speaker 6: Mandy yeah, I remember watching it. It's so long ago. I honestly don't remember the plot, but I remember liking it. And yeah, she kicked this crazy shot that bent and she scolorn just like Beckham.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chloe, yeah, I'd say I do remember it, and I definitely wanted to bend it like Beckham.
Speaker 4: So here we are. It's iconic, and.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 1: It's iconic, and you've fulfilled your your dream of being just like Beckham. It was so fun to chat with y'all. I'm so excited to watch the second half in. Congrats on the success so far.
Speaker 4: Thank you, appreciate it, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Mandy and Chloe for hanging out, and don't forget. You can now watch full length Good Game interviews on the Iheartwomen's Sports YouTube channel. We have to take another break. When we come back, get out the engraver. We've got a new plaque to make.
Speaker 2: Welcome backslashs.
Speaker 1: It's time to induct a new member into the Good Game Hall of Fame. Ah, Yes, the Good Game Hall of Fame, where we celebrate women's sports lore, the kind of legendary stories we should all know by heart, just like we know the stories of men's sports. We all remember the old Sports illustrated Sid finch April fools prank, a profile of a completely made up pitching prospect, and we all had a good laugh at the Mets expense this week when Bobby Benia Day popped up again, the day every year twenty eleven through twenty thirty five that the Mets pay now sixty three year old Bobby Banio one point one nine million dollars as part of a deferred salary settlement gone very very wrong. Well, we should know great lore in women's sports too, and we've got some catching up to do. So many great stories passed and present yet untold. So grab another plaque and find a good place on the wall, because today we've got another inductee, Sam Kerr's Backflips. In honor of the legendary Australian strikers return to the NWSL, we offer her trademark backflip celebration a place in our hall. Kerr taught herself how to do a round off backflip as a nine year old back in Perth, starting downhill on a grassy knoll to give herself a little help from gravity. She told sam UIs on a recent episode of the Women's Game podcast that she thinks her first in game backflip was at the Asian Cup as a precocious sixteen year old.
Speaker 2: Soon it became her go.
Speaker 1: To goal celebration, and she's now flipped her way through games with the AUSSI national team, the Western New York Flash, Sky Blue FC, and the Chicago then Red Stars of the NWSL, and more recently Chelsea of the Women's Super League.
Speaker 2: Now that she's back with the NWSL, might we see it again?
Speaker 1: By the way, speaking of her return to the league, despite seven years away, she's still the NWSL's all time leading scorer in the regular season with seventy seven tallies. Now, it's been a few years since we've seen the signature move, and at one point Kerr did say it might be retired now that she's in her thirties. But if there's ever a time to bring it back, it's in her debut for Got the FC, which is expected to be on July fifteenth at City Field for the Queen's Classic in front of a crowd that could reach over forty thousand. So here's hoping she's practicing those backflips as we speak. Welcome to the Good Game Hall of Fame, Sam Kerr. If you don't object, we'd like to install the plaque upside down in honor of your epic signature move.
Speaker 2: Slices.
Speaker 1: As I mentioned earlier, we'll be taking our annual summer hiatus during the next two weeks ahead of the launch of season three.
Speaker 2: Yes, season three.
Speaker 1: On Monday, July twentieth, but we still have a bunch of new content come in your way, including the debut of The Big Citrus and Chill Movie Club, so be sure to reach watch Bend It like Beckham before that episode drops later this month. In another episode, we'll be breaking some big news about a team starting play in twenty twenty seven, and in another app, we'll be giving you a behind the scenes look at how our show is made, including responding to some of your questions and feedback from the listener survey. As always, we are so happy whenever we hear from you, whether that's via the listener survey, which is still up, or by email at Good Game at wondermediaetwork dot com or voicemail at eight seven two two four fifty seventy. We'll be back on July twentieth with a fresh and we're sure quite long need to know, plus plenty of new guests, ideas, and segments for year three of our little pod. Thank you so much for listening, commenting, supporting, and loving our show. And if you want some slice work during the break, your good game play of the hiatus is to share a few of your favorite episodes with someone who might not know about our show yet. If you love it, share it. We'd really appreciate it. And speaking to Slice work. A final shout out to super Slice Aaron raw who's doing so well with her many many intentions, including taking a pickleball and having a blast with her daughters, and super Slice Amanda Vallo, who signed up for a one oh one intro to stand up class at a local comedy club.
Speaker 2: I can speak for all a big Citris when I say we're.
Speaker 1: Hoping to use our hiatus to check off some of those intentions we haven't gotten to yet. Before we let you go, I have to tell you like I always do, to subscribe, rate, and review. It's super helpful to the show, and it's super easy watch data telling the story we already know. Rating one hundred percent confidence. When evangelizing for women's sports if the numbers are on your side. Review Genius Sports, which acquired Sports Innovation Lab last year, has released the Latest Fan Project, a long running series of reports on the commercial value of women's sports fandom. The latest edition, the fifth in the Sports Innovation Lab series, focuses on how women's sports culture feeds commerce.
Speaker 2: Couple big takeaways.
Speaker 1: Women's sports fans are three times more likely than men's sports fans to buy from player created brands, so backing female athlete entrepreneurs is a good bet. Fans of women's sports are two point six times more likely to attend concerts and festivals than general sports fans, so they're spending at lots of in person events and can be found and served at those events. And only seven percent of women's sports fans follow teams because they live nearby, compared to thirty percent of men's sports fans. That means women's sports teams present a national, sometimes global brand opportunity, not.
Speaker 2: Just a local one.
Speaker 1: The numbers in these fan projects could mean the difference if you're pitching a brand or sponsor, suggesting a partnership, or trying to get your company on board with women's sports. So if you're in the space use the data slices. We'll link to the collection of reports in the show notes. Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you next week. Good game, Mandy, Good game, Chloe. You the cheaters that deprived Elesia of a metal in real time? Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iheartwomen's sports production in part ownership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Britney Martinez, and Gianna Palmer. Production assistant from Avery Loftus and I'm your Host Sarah Spain