Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We can't live a full, dignified life with the ability to questioned authority, to test ideas, to blow off steam. If we don't have private communication, you can't do military strategy, you can't do human rights work, you can't do journalism full stop.
Speaker 1: Meredith Whittaker, tech boss and defender of privacy. I got the impression that by the end of your time at Google you were kind of a thorn in management side.
Speaker 2: It wasn't Meredith versus Google. There is a round swell of sentiment within tech now that is concerned with the fundamental question, how do we make sure that we are collectively governing this powerful technology so that those who would do harm with it aren't those who are in control.
Speaker 1: From Blueberg Weekend. This is the Michelle Hussein Show. I'm Michelle Hussein. Whether it's social media, bands, AI and military strikes, the destruction of jobs, debates about tech in our lives are all around us every day. I'm old enough to remember the nineties and the emergence of what today we call big tech. Back then, the companies were perceived as benign. They were full of important and exciting features that would connect us to people around the world, and they were pretty much free to use. Today the story is much more complex, But even so, how many of us really think hard enough about our choices in tech, the products we use, and what the companies get out of us. Well, this conversation is with Meredith Whitaker, a tech boss who is different from her peers, partly because her product, the messaging app Signal, is nonprofit and also it has a deep and she says, unshakable promise to barely even collect our data, let alone sell it. If you're not a Signal user, but you know you've heard about it somewhere. It's probably because of the moment last year when the then US National Security Advisor added a journalist to what should have been a classified group chat about military action in Yemen. It became known, of course as Signalgate. So that's some of the background. But as Meredith Whittaker came into the studio, there was a live issue in the UK, the government's plans to make it impossible for under eighteens to take or share nude images on their phones. As you'll hear, she's got views on that, both the principle and whether the idea is even workable, but I had questions too on whether everyone has a right to be private, what about crime, abuse, terrorism? Ultimately, I hope you find this as compelling as I did. Meredith Whittaker is able to see the ironies in her world, to spot the moments of humor even and at the same time make us think. Obviously, I think some people listening to this might be pretty new to Signal, but I think anything that you can say to let us into your world and to tell us about you as well as what you do, I think it will be great to.
Speaker 2: I'll do my best. I think Signal is a bit more interesting than I am.
Speaker 1: But Meredith, I guess I would just love to start by asking about your own journey towards what you do now. Because you worked in big tech at Google for more than a decade, was there a moment in that period where you really started to think differently about privacy and data, a moment you can identify that's kind of critical in the development of your story.
Speaker 2: I have considered that question. Is there a point where I tripped over something or a revelation happened? You know Athena with birth from the forehead of Zeus and suddenly there's insight. I don't think it was a moment. I come out of an non traditional background for somebody working in the tech industry. I studied literature, I said, rhetoric. I was always an arts kid, and that's still where I, as a human being, really live. I love it, and so I was calibrated to perhaps ask different questions or just you know, pursue different inquiries. But I think it was it was over time beginning to understand Google's business models, the political economic forces that were animating the company. After coming in, as they say, a novice, I did not pursue computer science in school. I was not interested in tech. I did not get you know, a Commodore sixty four when I was a kid, and everything took off from there. And I loved computers right, which you know, the classic origin story. And so I had to ask really really fundamental questions. YEA, what is a server?
Speaker 1: Would I be right in thinking of you as a bit of a contrarian or maybe a rebel. I know that there was a key moment in your time at Google where you organized colleagues against a Pentagon contract that you realized was being signed.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't adopt those terms myself. You know, I am somebody who thinks it's really important to maintain the dignity of my analysis. Like if something is true, if there is empirical evidence supporting a conclusion, if we can look at the map and clearly see that there's a problem on the road ahead, then I am not somebody who's going to go along to get along with a convenient delusion. Those things, once I see them, I am not going to veer away or pretend that they don't exist, even if I have to take steps that might be scary or against the grain to do that.
Speaker 1: So I got the impression that by the end of your time at Google you were kind of a thorn in management side. You were organizing walkouts on other issues, ethics issues, and they saw you as a problem.
Speaker 2: Well, people who would like to put the goals of infinite growth, infinite revenue profit above the reality of the harms or the problems or the choppy seas on the road ahead don't like people who point that out. But I do want to sort of frame that it wasn't It wasn't Meredith versus Google. This was a groundswell from thousands of people.
Speaker 1: The workouts and the walkouts at the time where people came out in big numbers too. We see protested different things.
Speaker 2: Let's go today Deep mind employees just unionized, concerned about the application of that technology for harmful purposes. You have open AI employees beginning to organize or that's being reported in preparation for the IPO. There is a sort of groundswell of sentiment within tech now and outside of tech that is concerned with the fundamental question that I don't think can be avoided by anyone. How do we make sure that we are collectively governing this powerful technology so that those who would do harm with it aren't those who are in control. How do we scrutinize it, how do we put guardrails on it, How do we determine where it's used, where it's not used, how it's developed, and what the goals of that development are. Those are fun mental question that every world leader, every government, every community considering a data center needs to be looking at and where the leverage for governance where that fulcrum exists is an open question given the bipolar tech world we live in and the volatile geopolitical environment, where.
Speaker 1: The fact that the tech will seems to becoming ever more powerful, not least with the amount of interest in the IPOs. Absolutely, I want to take a moment to really understand what you do at Signal. The core promise is end to end encryption, which means only the sender or receiver can see the actual content of the messages. So how is that different from WhatsApp, which also has the same promise.
Speaker 2: Well, the core promise of Signal is that in the digital world, where almost every micro action is surveilled, turned into data, processed in models, sold to advertisers, sold to data brokers, et cetera, et cetera, we preserve the fundamental human right to private communication full stop, which has existed for hundreds of thousands of years. That was the norm. If you and I are talking, that conversation is gone once we are done talking and part ways. And we have moved into a world where that ground has shifted dramatically out from under us, and that is no longer true. And we think that it is considered a fundamental human right for a very good reason. We can't live a full, dignified life with the ability to questioned authority, to have different relationships with people to test ideas, to blow off steam. If we don't have private communication, you can't do military strategy, you can't do human rights work, you can't do journalism full stop. So Signal provides that in as robust away as we can. We developed the encryption protocol, the Signal protocol, that moved the field forward. In twenty thirteen, we introduced that to the world, and that is the co of our offering that protects the message content. On Signal, what you send only goes between sender and receiver. Only the people you're talking to know it. WhatsApp licenses that protocol from us, and they also apply it to many of their messages that are sent. What'sapp for business is excluded from this in many cases, but they protect message content, so what you type, what you say is to end encrypted. They can't see it only the center and receiver. However, you have to look at privacy beyond simply the message content, and this is where there are very fundamental differences between WhatsApp and Signal. Signal also applies encryption to protect what is called metadata, but that is extremely intimate. It's extremely revealing data. It's your profile, photo, your name, who you talk to when you talk to them, who's in your groups, how often you chat? When did you text your oncologists? When did you text your things therapist, When did you text your lawyer? When did you text someone or your best friend? All of that information. So WhatsApp does collect that, we don't. We go out of our way to collect as close to no data as possible, and we make that open source.
Speaker 1: Is it really that revealing? The other data, the message data? If someone can see that I wake up at six in the morning and I send a lot of messages at that time, and they might even know who I'm messaging, my mother, my colleagues, or people and other time zones, is that really so revealing of me?
Speaker 2: Oh? It absolutely can be. Are you messaging your FBI contact because you want to be a source. Are you messaging a whistleblower attorney because you found corruption in your workplace and want to report that. Are you messaging a divorce lawyer? Are you messaging an oncologist? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But what I mean is, again it's like WhatsApp, for example, could see, oh that other person is an oncologist, or that other person is in law enforcement or is a source. But again they can't see beyond that what the actual content is that I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, no, not ye, assuming that's not on what's up for business? However, I think we have to expand beyond simply the application and look at what'sapp being owned by Meta, the parent company Meta is a massive data collecting entity. Surveillance advertising is the heart of their business model. So okay, you message your oncologists. All right, let's join that data with all of the other data we have in hand. We buy credit data from data brokers, we have Facebook data, we have Instagram data, and we have powerful AI models that can find patterns and search across the.
Speaker 1: State see ads for cancer drugs on Instagram? Is that what suggesting let's feelings? Advertising is a very inflammatory way to put it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's a technical descriptor, right, It's targeted advertising based on the collection of data that reveals or purportedly reveals certain qualities of you and what you might like. Let's take another example. You're messaging a whistleblower attorney and it's very high, high risk, and you know the corruption that you found is extreme, so they know, you know, okay, this is this is whistleblower aid An organization that helps with that. Okay, it started messaging. Now okay, this is the contact. Okay, well you know what could they do with that? What could they reveal? Could that be subpoena? Could that be revealed to your employer? The fundamental answer is that, yes, this data is extremely revealing. It reveals patterns about you. We could hypothesize, but we know already that there's a woman who went to jail in the US because Meta turned over DMS on Facebook messenger between her and her daughter that showed her helping her daughter access and deal with reproductive care in the state of Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Do you find it frustrating then, when you see people not care about their privacy even like some people wouldn't be even be aware, but people who are aware but just think this is the price I pay for these platforms being free at the point of use, or maybe younger people especially who just think that there's nothing really in their life that they would mind being in the public domain.
Speaker 2: You know, I find that frustrating when the argument that no one cares about privacy is leveraged by these firms to justify what they're doing. It. Don't actually find it frustrating when people who really, in my view, have little choice say you know, hey, I can't do anything about this. I'm going to delete that from my long list of worries because I don't feel that I am empowered to act on this. I actually don't believe that people don't care about privacy, but I believe that the stakes are very obscure, and we're all living in a world where we have dishes to do, we have bills to pay, we have things that are right on our doorstep to deal with, and thinking about data flows and privacy legislation is probably pretty far down on our list of concerns.
Speaker 1: You had two big moments in the growth of Signal, both of which I remember twenty thirteen when Edward Snowden used it and trusted it to talk to journalists about US and surveillance. And the second was Signal Gate last year, when a journalist was added to a supposedly highly classified Trump administration discussion on military action. When the second happened, what did you think, this is like a great advertisement for Signal because it's secure enough for the US government, Or I thought, WHOA.
Speaker 2: What's going on this morning? This is this is an interesting story. You know, the article hit my feed the same time it hit anyone else's feed, and I think I had to read it twice to really let it sink in, because it read almost like a telenovela. What I didn't anticipate after reading it initially was that Signal would become a main character and then it would become a story about Signal. And what I was primarily concerned about is it you know, suddenly Signal was being reported on, spoken about by millions of people who weren't familiar with the intricacies of encrypted messaging or the technology itself, and I wanted to prevent misinformation that could hinder signal or misinform people who you know, often need to choose signal in life or death concept.
Speaker 1: Cause this was essentially about human frailty, someone who shouldn't have been added to that chat being added, And your worry was that it would make it look like Signal itself was insecure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be framed as a problem with Signal or a problem with privacy or you know. That was a very volatile, very heightened news cycle, so how that would turn out was not clear, But yes, I mean, this was ultimately men's thumbs doing things that is not something an application developer can take its.
Speaker 1: Was it good for numbers?
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, it's turned out well for us. We saw growth across the US, across the world, and we've seen pretty steady growth since then.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you, Meredith, how you reconcile yourself with where your product is being used by people to do harm to others and particularly the example of child sexual abuse? Am I right in thinking that if p defiles abuses are using Signal to circulate images of child sexual abuse, that can happen without them fearing that you will hand over data to law enforcement.
Speaker 2: We go out of our way to not be a social media company, so we could pump our numbers fairly easily if we added things like broadcast channels or features that allowed you to find people with similar interests and you meet strangers on Signal. But Signal has made a very conscientious choice to stay in our narrow lane as an interpersonal communications app, which means you have to encounter the person you're talking to in some capacity that is not a viral finder friend feed.
Speaker 1: That's outside the app essentially. Yeah, But once you do find that person, you can be sure that anything you share with them is free.
Speaker 2: That is outside. That is a sign promise. We are open source. We are you know, people audit our code regularly. We have the open source community looking at our code. We cannot collect that data, we cannot turn that data over and you know, look, we limit the features that allow virality, We limit the features that allow mass distribution, and we do that very conscientiously. I also need to make a fundamental point, that is, you know, it is simply true that encryption either works for everyone or it works for no one. There is no way to have a golden key or a special back door or access just for the good guys.
Speaker 1: And do you have a struggle with that knowing that there will be people who are using it for the most abusive possible images of children who are on signal? Right now, are there moments where you find that hard to reconcile or come to terms with yourself?
Speaker 2: The fact of child sexual abuse is horrifying to me, absolutely, and I think we need to take that so seriously as a society that needs to get much much better with looking gnarly problems in the face and actually tackling them. But I also struggle with the persistent focus on privacy as the purported barrier to solving these issues, when we have most of the Epstein list walking around without consequences, when we have so few mechanisms to actually help children when they report a powerful figure in their community, when we are defunding the actual law enforcement officers who take this data, act on this data, move to prosecute the uncles, the fathers, the pastors who are perpetrating this abuse.
Speaker 1: Can I give you the example in the UK where many people would think, you have to use every tool in the block, right, So you have to use the leavers you're pointing to, and perhaps you have to use the leavers in tech as well. So the UK government is moving towards making it compulsory for tech companies to ensure that children can't take or share nude images through their platforms. Is that workable? Do you think? And if the UK compelled that, what would it mean for your presence here?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll start by saying there's never been more data accessible to law enforcement than there is now that were law enforcement well funded, we're social services well funded, they could act on and often don't, often delay, or often simply don't have the capacity. So when we talk about every tool in the toolbox. We need to recognize that there are some tools that are not being picked up, and there are some tools that seem an obsessive focus of politicians who like to abstract these very difficult problems into the technical domain and pretend there is one technical fix that can apply to solve a problem that needs.
Speaker 1: So this is one of many. What do you think of it?
Speaker 2: What do I think of mass scanning of devices that would be age gated? You know, we put out a statement Cure Starmer announced what seems to be a fairly hasty proposal to implement nudity scanning as a mandatory feature on all devices that would be sold or used in the UK, and that you could only opt out of this nudity scanning if you provided some sort of verification that you were above a certain age threshold. Correct. There are very few technical details on that system, but our position and our position on the client side scanning debate that circled the Online Safety Bill as well now act, is that this constitutes very dangerous mass surveillance. That having a scanning system on your device that is going to, you know, purportedly detect nudity can easily be weaponized by governments for political speech, for other content, and that we don't understand the technical mechanism by which this would be implemented, because my assumption is there is no specification for this, but that you know, we would be looking at a system that would likely phone home, so that's sending that data to governments, to tech companies and ultimately comprise a mass surveillance system of permitted speech that would be implemented across everyone's device and pose real threats to signal's ability to provide the robust privacy guarantees that military is, governments Ukraine, human rights workers, journalists, people around the world rely on often for life or death.
Speaker 1: With all of the big brains in tech, you really don't think it's possible to refine the product in a way that protects children and does the age verification and the certain kinds of images without it having these, you know, massive repercussions and implications that you're describing.
Speaker 2: Well. Part of being a big brain and tech, I think is really understanding the nature and the limits of what technology can do. And this isn't a question of go think harder nerds, right, there are real limits to what tech can and can't do.
Speaker 1: And any texts coming up with new things all the time.
Speaker 2: Their marketing departments are talking about it all the time. But you know, if you look at the implementation layer, often what you're looking at is sticky tape and twine and a handful of legacy libraries that may or may not be suitable for purpose. The limits of your the limits of the memory that's running on your hardware. You know, these are fundamental material limitations and there is no technology that has been shown to do this in a way that is robust and safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also just wonder that whether how sustainable your position is. I hear what you're saying, but it's not only the UK government that's really concerned on this front. The EU also had temporary legislation we just ran out, but it was essentially asking tech companies to voluntarily scan their platforms.
Speaker 2: And we've taken the same position on.
Speaker 1: That on that this does seem to be the way that governments are going and if it is, can you imagine signal not being available in the UK or the EU? Like you threaten to walk over the Online Safety Bill as it was then in the UK.
Speaker 2: Look, you know, we don't really do pr right. We have a position, and our position is we would rather exit a market than undermine the technical guarantees that people trust for their privacy. That doesn't change based on jurisdiction. It doesn't change based on your and that's not something we take lightly. We're not just like flexing or being recalcitrant. That is, recognizing that encryption requires a network effect, that a back door in any market compromises a door into Signal that would be weaponized by nation state adversaries. Signal is the only mass communications platform that provides the level of privacy that we provide, and we know that we have adversaries that are consistently searching for vulnerabilities in our code.
Speaker 1: Who do you mean?
Speaker 2: Who do we mean? Any government with a capable intelligence agency is spending some of that effort looking.
Speaker 1: At including your own government.
Speaker 2: I don't have clearance to know that for sure, but.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering if you mean Russia, China, or do you mean governments in the.
Speaker 2: We know it has been represented to us that you know Russia is what we've seen bounties for the delivery of vulnerabilities, meaning that you know they'll pay you if you can find a vulnerability they could exploit that have been offered by the Russian government. We have had people with who would know this or represent that to us. But if you look at the people who rely on this, heads of state, government officials, military strategists, investigative journalists, people reporting corruption, I think we need to just recognize that, yes, you have people who have a very vested interest in infiltrating those networks, in accessing that communication and accessing that data, and we'll spend resources doing it. That's the objective function of an intelligence agency. And Signal is the only one out there doing this, So it would be very It would be an absolute breach of our duty of care were we to implement a backdoor in Signal, were we to undermine that promise. And you know, we're a nonprofit. We are not a tech company that is, you know, juicing numbers to IPO and exit.
Speaker 1: Does we take this very SONI That's one of the intriguing things about Signal, And I wondered how hard it makes it because you have some big donors, but you also have users who donate to you. So today, what are your annual running costs? What are the costs you have to cover. It's about fifty million dollars a year. Five zero And do you fall short in donations we're sustaining. Yeah, it's about seventy percent large donors, thirty percent people who use the app and donate, you know, five dollars a month, twenty dollars a month.
Speaker 2: We love them. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Does it feel like a struggle?
Speaker 2: I would, It's something I think about a lot. One of the real issues we're working with is that the economic engine of the tech industry as it's shaped now is surveillance. It's the collection and monetization of data that's not alarmist, that is technically true, and so existing within a framework where all of the pressures for revenue, for growth, for profit for IPO are pointing in the direction of collect and monetize data means that we have to choose a different model, one where we don't have a VC saying hey, you're not going to meet your quarterly goals, you're not going to get your Series B if you don't figure out how to monetize, where we don't have a board and shareholders saying figure out how to carve out some data collection so you could build an AI model so you can continue to meet and exceed market consensus.
Speaker 1: Well, that made me wonder about the llms and chat, GPT and claud, Like, what would you like us to be aware of in privacy terms when we use those, when we ask questions, when we put prompts into the individ.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean flatly like, these are not your friends, these are not conscious beings, these are not sentient interlock cuters. They're very useful, sure mean, things are very.
Speaker 1: Chats And you can say you don't want your chance to be shared.
Speaker 2: You can say all sorts of things, but ultimately the power to determine whether that happens or not is in the hands of the entity that is running that service. And those can be stored, those can be logged, those can be mined for more data. Those can be tweaked slightly to calibrate the responses to your purported preference on behalf of say advertisers. You know, maybe there's an airline that has paid to advertise and instead of showing ads. Perhaps and I'm working with a hypothetical here. We don't have evidence of this, but this is very much in the realm of the possible. You say, hey, chat GPT, find me a very cheap flight, and instead of finding you the cheapest flight, it finds you one with their preferred advertising partner that is not cheaper. Do you use them? I mean, I asked them to form out a document here and there, but no, I have no relationship with them. I don't ask them questions. You know, I'm very serious about my thinking and my writing, and I don't want the process of working through an idea, the struggle of not knowing and then figuring it out, to be foreclosed or eclipsed by the response of a system that's kind of averaging what's already out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's a different argument. That's also about safeguarding your headspace or your thinking time. Beyond privacy, the next generation, or the next layer of all these models is the more autonomous personal assistant type thing. You know, Microsoft Copilot most of Usilmano was on this program and he said to me, you know, by next Christmas, you can be buying your Christmas presents through Microsoft Copilot, working out what you need to buy for whom. What do you think of that kind of autonomous agent being in people's lives? What would it mean in privacy terms?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's a great question. And let's let's take myself as little vision of you know, AI Christmas. Who could I can't wait? Yeah, everyone's getting a give certificate to Microsoft Copilot. But what would what would what would that mean? Right? So we have a Windows laptop. It's running co Pilot, and I say, hey, Copilot, I don't want to live my life. I would like you to live it for me. And I don't really want to think about the warm feelings I have for those that I'm buying gifts for, or think about what they might actually love or you know, engage in that like generous interpersonal communal feeling that maybe should be at the heart of Christmas. Who knows, But I don't have the time for that. I'm going to play pickleball or whatever the thing I am doing, and I would like you to do that for me. And I would like you to figure out what gifts to buy. I would like you to consult with my siblings group chat and see, you know what our family might like. I would like you to buy those gifts, and I would like you to figure out how to get them to the right place. Well, okay, that would need access to my credit card. That would need access to my browser to pretend it is me, to drive through that browsing history to find those things. If it's access to my siblings group chat, that would need access to my signal, that would need the ability to message my siblings on my behalf, and then it would need my home address. Say, to ship those gifts, it would need maybe my calendar to make sure they get there on time, et cetera, et cetera. So what you've just described is a system with very very pervasive access across multiple apps, applications, and services, and importantly, in the context of signal, it would constitute a kind of a backdoor in the signal. It would be able to access signal pull data out of protection.
Speaker 1: Isn't just privacy and access to our data. It's actually that you think, once something like that ends up on a phone because we've given it permission to, it could actually be a threat to signals, ethos and promise.
Speaker 2: We have described it metaphorically as breaking the blood brain barrier between the operating system and the application layer, so.
Speaker 1: You can make signals secure enough to protect against that.
Speaker 2: Well, what we are seeing in the case of these agents or promises like this, right the access of data at the application layer, pulling that data into a context window. But it's sort of a big data slurry that the agent sort of acts on and remembers, and then implementations architectures for this agent that are very unsafe from a cybersecurity perspective.
Speaker 1: Because the agent is essentially becoming the person or the agent has been given the license to be. You have to be me, well not you, because I'm sure you would never go down this route, but.
Speaker 2: I try to ask you. So that is my struggle. But you've given it, in technical terms like route access to your life. You've given it the keys to the kingdom, because to act on your behalf, it needs to be able to do everything you would do.
Speaker 1: Do you worry then about this as an existential threat to signal? It's clearly not that easy to run the foundation. I do worry because it seems quite likely that it will come to pass, just if you look at how much bigger these companies are getting by the day, and they're going to need to make more promises about what they can offer. I use the example of co Pilot, but there are others.
Speaker 2: Clearly, any one of the operating system vendors that decides to implement an agent with these capacities is ultimately hog blowing out the ability for Signal and others to guarantee privacy or data protection at the application layer. And this is a quiet but profound shift that we are witnessing.
Speaker 1: Can you fight it?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't believe in inevitability, and I am willing to fight on my principles. I don't know if I can win it, but I will do everything I can because I think this is fundamental. I am concerned that we are seeing extremely hasty decisions made by very powerful actors. You know, we have three companies in the world with control over our core operating systems. That's Google with Android, Microsoft with Windows, and Apple with iOS mac os. We all are relying on one or another of those, and they can make decisions by FIAT that fundamentally harm our collective cybersecurity, that take away any choice we might have for privacy, and that completely hamstring developers at the application layer who've spent so much labor, so much money, so much intention on building different services that protect or do x, y and z. So we are seeing, ironically, almost in the name of AI agents, a move of agency away from the application layer, away from the user, away from the consumer who uses these devices, back into these centralized companies.
Speaker 1: Give us some advice, then, because I think I could take away okay, wherever you have the option to take the box, saying to limit the use of your day to do it. But I think you're also telling me that you don't really trust in what you get back for saying don't use my data, I don't want it shared.
Speaker 2: Or you know. Look, I think we have evidence that you know, simply trusting is and not a sound conclusion. I do come from maybe an old school where I think you should verify then trust. What is the advice? I think healthy skepticism and a recognition that this technology is not magic. It can be extremely useful. It can have profound applications, particularly where finding patterns and large amounts of data is useful for XYZ. But it runs on hardware. It runs on software. When we talk about AI, we're not talking about a magical sky god that can suddenly solve all our problems, answer all our questions. We are talking about a statistical model that is then embedded in a hardware software system, using software libraries, implementing choices on the user interface level that are made by people that are susceptible to vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Tell me what you do in your own life, because signal for messaging? What else? What is common in the rest of our lives that you never use and you think we should. Like when you go for a run, do you put it on st Rava? Do you you would not do that?
Speaker 2: No? I don't. I mean, I'm not a I'm not like the full crumb of leverage for me is not individual consumer choice. And I am not trying to be holier than thou purest right. You know, I have a tracking app I used for different health metrics. It's been helpful for me. I travel a lot, and it's been helpful for me seeing that.
Speaker 1: That's health data.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is health data used. Yeah, and I benefit from that. I think the lever we need to be pushing on is much more systemic change. I am not going to opt out of life. I am not going to go live in a cabin in the woods and like pay someone to print out my emails at the post office in town or whatever we're talking about, you know, so that I can feel private, right, Like, if we look even at signals, privacy promises. We're not talking about sort of isolation from our social, economic, political lives, living in a vacuum of like holier than now CyberSecure, purity, purity. We're talking about the ability to talk to other people, to share with them, right, and so, Yeah, I have an Instagram. I post mainly work events or whatever on that, right, I use social media. I have the nts app. It's a really good web radio that has great mixes. Right, Like, I listen to that. Maybe they collect data, you know, I push reject all, but I don't always trust that that's actually rejecting cookies. I am a person living in twenty twenty six and I want to participate in the world. What I don't believe is that participation should be on the terms of a handful of tech companies located in the US whose choices are made based on the desire to maximize revenue.
Speaker 1: That you, too, are American tech.
Speaker 2: I the irony abounds. Look at this a complex individual. I am, and I worked in tech for twenty years. I'm of the tech industry. So those two things are true.
Speaker 1: But I think you're saying choice, make better choices, or just think more carefully about your choices like, even if you get that much from people, will you consider it valuable or even a victory?
Speaker 2: I would say those things, and that you be skeptical of these claims. You're not stupid. You know the choice is offered, yes, no or maybe maybe? Aren't the choices you want as a dream a little bigger? What do you want from these companies? What world do you want to live in? What world would be the thing you want to help build? And then how do you think about demanding from the people who have commandeered, who have created, who now hold so much power over our social and political and economic institutions via the tech infrastructures, the information ecosystem, on the tech platforms, the AI decision making that is inoculating so many functions in our lives. What do we need from them to help create that world? Not simply if I'm given the choice yes or no, which do I choose? And that's the limit of my ability to enact any change in my life? But do we want tech in our education system? And how? Yes? We do? Okay, well, then what does it look like? And how do we work to guarantee that we're actually using it to shape that better world? And not simply being shaped by decisions made on a whiteboard in Mountain View by a handful of product managers who really have to ship AI this quarter or they're not going to get promoted.
Speaker 1: Who you probably know because you once used to work with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all named Mike. Even now is like that, even now, even now I've heard, I've.
Speaker 1: Heard you never missed that world. I mean it's a very big Bucks world for other things.
Speaker 2: Am I said, I'm not like rich rich? Yeah, no, no, like I'm I'm hood rich. I'm happy being hood rich. I don't need to be. It means rich in the context of the neighborhood of you, not rich in the context of complaining about the Champagne on your private flight.
Speaker 1: You'll and your herds are both New York and Paris.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you'll get the like. Don't cry it from me, Meredith Whitika, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That was great, Thank you, and that is where we said goodbye. Unknown to me. Later that day, Meredith was visiting Downing Street to talk to Kirs Starmer's team about signals concern at their plans. You can see a photograph of her in front of the famous black door and get all the wider context if you read the written version of this at Bloomberg dot com forward slash Michelle a few other notes. We asked Meta to comment on her characterization of its business model and approach to privacy. A spokesperson for WhatsApp responded by saying this, we also look at privacy beyond encrypting messages. We don't keep logs of who everyone is messaging or calling. We do not track the messages people are sending one another for ads, we do not sell user data. We approached Google too on Meredith's assessment of their business model, but we've had no response, and that Ai Christmas thought. The conversation with Mustapha Suliman of Microsoft is in the feed. Just scroll back to last December to find it. Finally, the team. The producers are Jessica Beck and Chris Martlou. The video producer is Andy Haywood. Social media's by Alex Morgan, audio mixing by Richard Ward, our music is by Bart Warshaw, and the executive producer is Louisa Lewis. At Bloomberg Weekend thanks to Brendan Francis Newnham and our executive editor Catherine Bell and until next time, Goodbye,