Speaker 1: It's nine OGENG with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: Oh you guys, we're here with the episode of nine O two one MG, and Amy's here with me today.
Speaker 3: This was a scary episode, Like you were scared by this episode, disturb scared, Like it was emotional. It was like it was dark. You're really dark. Yes, that's the word dark. It's dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know what's going on with Mike Kelly.
Speaker 3: Oh. I think she's finally gonna get the help she needs. Do you think I'm hoping?
Speaker 1: I hope so too. We're not jumping to the end though, Amy, I know you want to so bad.
Speaker 3: I want it so bad because of something with Brandon, but I will not talk about your downfall.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is this episode's good though. It's got a lot of like other parts going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, finally they're using Elisa Donovan. Better was better.
Speaker 1: You know how much we love our ginger La Monica we love so much now just so that makes me happy. You know, she's so grow nasty.
Speaker 3: She's great. She would have had a good Valerie. Yeah, and she's auditioned for Valerie.
Speaker 1: She is so pretty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think she auditioned for Valerie. Actually, I feel like maybe they should have gone with her because of the red hair as opposed to like this is not don't write me among your emails like I don't love Tiffany, I do.
Speaker 1: You just want diversity in color, something just.
Speaker 3: Well, something so different from Brenda. I think for me it's always was challenging because Tiffany sort of looked brown hair. You know, I don't know. Maybe I would like.
Speaker 1: The extent of it, the hair that's it. But oh no, I think she is great on the show too, Lisa Donovan as she kills it and then anything.
Speaker 3: She does, so yeah, yeah, she's great. We're gonna see her soon. She's kind of come do the show again in a couple few weeks in person. They're gonna come see you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I love that your drug habit has really gone bad. And actually I have a lot to talk about about David and Valerie. So I feel like this is going to be good conversation.
Speaker 1: This be jam packed, you guys. You don't want to miss it.
Speaker 3: iHeart Podcasts Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is It? Season six, episode twenty one, Bleeding Hearts aired februaryteenth. It aired on Valentine's Day. You guys in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: This was the Valentine's Day episode. It's so dark for Valentine's They sort of buried that a little bit, but it was there. But now we had the poem and the roses. But still it's so dramatic.
Speaker 1: Will you give us a synopsis?
Speaker 3: Amy?
Speaker 1: Do you want?
Speaker 3: Sure? My Great Pleasure roses are red, but Ginger is green with envy as she tries to hit Valerie where it hurts. And speaking of hitting, Jonathan Casten gets a fistful of Susan Keats at the peach pit after dark, plus Steve makes a painful pledge, Joe gets a kick in the stomach, and Kelly hick and Kelly hits rock bottom until Brandon Bales are out. I'm not laughing at the drama. I'm laughing at how well that's written.
Speaker 1: Directed by Jason Priestley, written by Larry Mullen and Meredithstein. Hey, I didn't even recognize that this was a Jason priest I know he's changed his style.
Speaker 3: It's almost like he's more broody of a director now, less like Zyne and more like gritty.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: I mean that wasn't I don't That was a gnarly scene at the drug den as I call it.
Speaker 1: We're not there yet, so sorry. Okay, okay, would you want me to give you a little trivia? There's something exciting worse, it's interesting, you know. Okay, actor Gordon Curry played Do you remember this actor who's playing Danny five in this episode? He was in the show already. Do you remember what character he used to be?
Speaker 3: No? Come on, I love trivia like this. Who was he?
Speaker 1: I really think you can get this.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, let me look at this face.
Speaker 1: Look and Brenda's cousin.
Speaker 3: What's his name again? Gordon what Curry?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Way?
Speaker 1: He played?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh my god, Bobby. I can't remember, but yeah, Bobby, he's one of the drug dudes.
Speaker 1: But he was Bobby that he was their cousin that was in the wheelchair, remember, Yes, like Kelly?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Whoa They hired him again for a completely different role.
Speaker 3: Which shows do do that a lot? They do do that like on Kilmore Girls. You see that all the time too.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that's all I have to say about that.
Speaker 3: Good Triga trivia, Very good Eagle Eze McGee.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, let's start at the top. You guys, Okay, this.
Speaker 3: Is buying the drugs. Let's start with you guys buy drugs.
Speaker 1: Colin and Kelly are rung out and looking for drugs, and Colin tells her my favorite weatherman says there is going to be snow in West Hollywood.
Speaker 3: First of all, that made me want to just borrow. It was so like, really, we're doing drug comedy.
Speaker 1: Oh god. And Kelly says that she needs to go see her mom at the peach Pit, but Colin says that they have to go meet the drug dealer, Danny five, or they won't have anything the whole weekend. That is enough for her to cancel her plans.
Speaker 3: Little did she know there was sort of a semi intervention getting prepared for her at the peach Pit, right, but it.
Speaker 1: Was only Brandon, David and Mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that was I think the intervention. Yeah, but I would have liked you show up for it. And then you know, I thought, Matt, It's like, Matt is close with you all, so he knows you're on drugs. He was a little bit too. Kelly called, and She's not gonna make it like that you dude.
Speaker 1: When I saw nat though, Remember, wasn't there a storyline about his girlfriend coming to town?
Speaker 3: Coming back?
Speaker 1: Then they completely dropped it and never talked about it.
Speaker 3: They dropped it for now, but it does come back. Okay, good, Yeah, not to fret.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Kelly ditches the intervention, great, I.
Speaker 3: Have an interjection. What I said, Fratt? You know what word I use all the time now because of you? No, but people are loving that. The people are loving colon. Yes, oh yeah, they're starting to write it. So when they write to us about him, they spell it c l O and no A scoach? Is that how you say it? Scoche?
Speaker 1: A scoche? You? You know what's so crazy that you're saying this. I learned that word on the set of Beverly Hills nine O, two and O.
Speaker 3: I never used that word, like, it's just not my vernacular. But ever since you used it, like a few weeks ago, you said like, oh, move that over a scosh, And now anytime I have to move anything, I'm always like, oh, just move that over a scooch.
Speaker 1: It was like a little bit, wait, how.
Speaker 3: Did you learn that word? On Nanotana?
Speaker 1: That's not a very long story our camera are. He was our cameraman and then he became our our director of photography. His name was Steve, and I loved him so much. We were very close. We were also close with him and he would say it all the time, like move over a little scosh. Yeah, that's where I got it.
Speaker 3: Just want to spell scosh s ceo sh scooch. I'm gonna have to look that up. Everybody should try. Okay, everyone listening, try to somehow use the word scos today and you'll get a little giggle when you do it, because you'll think you'll think of Kelly, Jenny.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: No, s ceo s h is.
Speaker 3: A variant smelling of the word scosh sko s h. It is a slang term. I wouldn't call it slang, but I guess it is. That means a small amount or a bit, just like you said. Anyway, For some reason, when I said fret, it just made me giggle because I used skosh so much. Where were we.
Speaker 1: We were at the peach pit where Kelly does not show up and Valerie tells Susan Valerie Cozy's on up next to Susan get into her business, yeah, and that she's going to help Jonathan. She's gonna help get Jonathan off her back by hooking up with her friend, by hooking him up with her friend Ginger.
Speaker 3: All, let's just talk about it. It's such a weird like spider Web, right, because Valerie's got the problem with Ginger, because Ginger's trying to blackmail her for fifty thousand dollars, which is an insane amount of money, by the way, Like it's just me and they talk about it like it's nothing, but like fifty cares. First of all, that would be like today, like a quarter of a million dollars. So she's asking her for a quarter of a million dollars like it's full bananas. I would just be like, just doubt me. I don't okay, like just out me. I don't care. These people kind of hate me anyway, like do you know what I mean? Like I don't like her, and she probably could have kept David. But anyway, well that's a whole topic. But so anyway, suddenly she's like, light bulb, Okay, I'm gonna take my friend and hook him up with this random guy that used to date this other girl. I don't really know. That's kind of causing a problem for my roomy, Like it's just like, oh my, how did she.
Speaker 1: Know all about that Jonathan business?
Speaker 3: Like I guess she's they're all in the weeds on everything, but maybe soon.
Speaker 4: And then okay, and then the fact that Susan's like, yeah, yeah, good idea, what Susan, what just tell Jonathan to hit the road that like you are in love with someone else?
Speaker 3: You're sorry, Like really you have to do like a like set him up to It's just what but okay, are you also a.
Speaker 1: Little taken aback by by Jackie's like nonchalant like, oh, I wish I would have known earlier about my daughter's drug addiction, like yep, and that she's like she's been there, she knows the no.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is dire. This is a dire situation. Your daughter's gonna die, and you're so sort of just like eating a mega burger, not worried about it that much and saying I can't separate her from Colon. It's like, of course you can separate her from Colon. He's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's hard to do.
Speaker 3: I'm no expert, but I don't know that she's doing her best as a mom on that one.
Speaker 1: I've watched intervention. It's very hard to take to separate two people who are in the dark place too.
Speaker 3: Well, then maybe she's right. I'm also there's a lot of comments on Susan's wardrobe. People are not fans really last week especially, I think maybe two weeks ago they felt she was not. She dresses very old, but so does Ginger lah Monica in the purple suit, which we'll get to.
Speaker 1: Maybe they just Andrea's leftovers.
Speaker 3: Literally, Yeah, it's kind of that vibe.
Speaker 1: You guys. We go to the drug Dealer's house where Kelly is introduced to the shady drug dealer Danny five aka and from season two.
Speaker 3: It's so insane. They have way too nice of the exterior of a house, but then it's real like cracky on the inside.
Speaker 1: Is it like, was the exterior like a bungalow, like California bungalow, kind of like Dylan's Extra Yep.
Speaker 3: Yep, And I think they sometimes, you know what, it reminded me of the Grand Californian Hotel.
Speaker 1: It's craftsman style and that's the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyway, it's way too nice of the house.
Speaker 1: But whatever, Well, I think that it was really conveniently located just down the street from the extra of the Walsh House.
Speaker 3: So there you have it. That's what I assume as well. Gross. They're gross. The drug dealers are gross. They're so sketchy.
Speaker 1: Like when I was watching, I was like, I feel like I know this guy. I thought I knew him in real life, which I did. Yeah, I now I know that's because he was a different character. He worked with him multiple times. M It's interesting.
Speaker 3: He kind of was charming at first, like for a drug dealer, Like he was so like, hey, guys out on the curb, like, come and see me anytime. Don't spread my number around unless it's likely good.
Speaker 1: It was just like, okay, a drug dealer guy, Like I didn't know what to do with him. He was a lot and I didn't know. I felt like Kelly knew him too, Like so hard.
Speaker 3: Are you you Brandon's cousin?
Speaker 1: I've seen you before. That'd be so funny. Okay, California University, where Donna is talking to a crowd of students about a twenty four hour pledge of celibacy to bring awareness to see an abstinence. I was not not about this kind of cool, and I just I love Joe. He's so darling. Oh my god, if you talk about him, if you love Joe anymore, I'm not gonna be able to say it.
Speaker 3: I do. I loved him then and I love him now. I literally had such a huge crush on him that it's just like right back. When I watch these, I'm like, God, he's so cute. She really should have appreciated him more.
Speaker 1: He's got a pretty face, yes.
Speaker 3: And he's so tall and cute. He's gonna feel bad for him. He's kicked off the team. This was a This was sort of a dramatic Joe episode, underplayed by all the other drama happening.
Speaker 1: Well, this whole twenty four hour pledge to not have sex I didn't like. I was like, are you serious? These horn dogs can't not have sex for twenty.
Speaker 3: Day for one day? I know that's a little I agree, and Steve, oh.
Speaker 1: Gosh, yeah. Claire takes it upon herself to challenge Steve to not complete his twenty four hour pledge, which is kind of dirty scoundrel of her.
Speaker 3: I just can't wait to talk about the tucks with no jacket, with the bow tie.
Speaker 1: It's just like, Wow, it's okay. We go to we have some interesting locations in this episode. We go to an outdoor cafe where Valerie has set up a blind date between Ginger and Jonathan. She goes up to John tells him that she's easy, Like.
Speaker 3: What, well that made me? Uh like, it was so like and first of all, I don't even think Jonathan would like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that what he's looking for?
Speaker 3: It's not he's he's not looking for that, like, and Elisa Donovan looked amazing. Although the suit I was like, are you twenty one going on forty? Like yeah, like they're trying to do Amanda Woodward you know Heather Locklay and Melrose how she really rocked those suits or maybe that was when she was an Ally McBeal. I think both, but anyway, was Klyst was have I Locklayer and Alley McBeal or did I just make that up?
Speaker 1: He just made that up? Oh my god, but I'm here for it. I'd watch that my brain.
Speaker 3: It's because kylistif Walckhart wore those little suits too, So okay, it was Amanda woodwardy she did wear those cute suits, but it was too old for Ginger it's like Ginger is gonna wear cute jeans with like a cute top.
Speaker 1: Well, but Ginger was in town for business.
Speaker 3: You know, I guess she really was indecent proposal. But anyway, I sort of thought they were going to hit it off, and they did, and it was okay, fine, very bizarre because also, why is Jonathan so tight with Valerie. It's like barely knows her. Yeah, very convenient.
Speaker 1: We go with Akassa welsh Ware. We see Steve being tempted, the beginnings of c being tempted.
Speaker 3: By right because Claire is such as Seductor's oh my god, I can't when I'm sorry, I have to say it now. When we get to the sexy dance, oh god, almost had to cover my eyes. Okay, sorry, just don't let me forget. Don't let me.
Speaker 1: This is where we find out that Randon also can't not have sex for twenty four hours, so he's disappointed to find out that Susan took the oath as well.
Speaker 3: They were cuter about it though, that bothered me less. They seemed more like, he's all, but it's not Runner, It's kind of cute. It was less sort of bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but at the same time, I was like, ewk right, it's just one night. I don't want to know all these people are having doing that all the time.
Speaker 3: That didn't bother me as much as the the no sex party with the pole dancers.
Speaker 1: But okay, okay, we go to Colin's apartment. I'm sorry, let me let me correct that. We go to Colon's apartment where Kelly and Colon are hanging out with the drug addicts. Oh, with some rando.
Speaker 3: Drug astics or some random drug addicts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Donna comes over to try to help Kelly and tells her she'll always be there for her.
Speaker 3: So they love each other.
Speaker 1: She's flying so high, and then Donna knocks at the door and then some stories away reels it in and she's not she can handle like having a visit without being so messed up, I guess.
Speaker 3: And then the random drug friends and Colin ran out, ran out to the porch. He's like, we'll be on the deck or whatever. I didn't even know he had a deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had like a balcony and it's loft. I hate him, and that that scene made me so sad, though Kelly and Donna basically saying goodbye to one another essentially be sad.
Speaker 3: It was. It's really like kind of real now, Like you know, I always like this is so sort of a dumb storyline. This is where it gets so real, Like you really do seem like you're spiraling bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like all of a sudden, Kelly is a different person.
Speaker 3: M a lot of nose rubbing though still that's to indicate drugs. Nose rub, nose reub no.
Speaker 1: Rubs acting one oh one. That's what you learn in Yeah. Then we go to David's dorm room, where we see David serving Valerie breakfast in bed because it's Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Storm style, which I liked.
Speaker 1: That was cute, Yes, and he.
Speaker 3: Wrote her cute. That poem was sort of like wow.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't think he's a very good poet.
Speaker 3: I think it was trying to be super deep and like metaphorical. I don't remember the poem at all. I wish could someone get us the poem is. I know that's a tall task.
Speaker 1: We'll paragraph too long, in my opinion, long to write a poem to somebody on Valentine's Day. People keep it short.
Speaker 3: Let's also talk about the awkwardness of when someone's reading a poem to you. The face you have to make as they're reading it to you.
Speaker 1: But I thought they were super cute in that scene.
Speaker 3: They were, but she did good good face of like this is so sweet. Have you ever been serenaded? I think that's a hard face. Well, sure you've been, Sarah, you will. Sure, Like everybody's been serenaded, I've never been like, who serenaded you?
Speaker 1: In all the roles I've fled? I'm sure someone has serenaded in real life? Oh oh wait, what's that like?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Did Have you ever been married to somebody that got out of guitar and just suddenly started singing.
Speaker 1: To yes, my first husband.
Speaker 3: The face you have to make for two full minutes of just like I love this so much, but like you want to just like rust your smile for a minute.
Speaker 1: There's no camera on you in real life, like, nobody's watching you.
Speaker 3: The serenader is watching you.
Speaker 1: Well, what if he's looking down at his guitar.
Speaker 3: Perhaps, Oh thank gosh, I can read the poem. But first of all, like, imagine Chris Martin. You're Dakota Johnson, right, and you're engaged to Chris Martin. And you have to change.
Speaker 1: I think so you think so wow, I don't know anything.
Speaker 3: I think it like have some bumps on the road. Seems to be going fine and he is a great dude, so she should definitely keep him. But anyway, Uh, imagine if you're at a concert and your guy is the lead singer and he just at any moment could glance over at you, you better be looking and smiling. It's a lot of work. Yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like Travis Kelcey at any moment, they always are watching him to see what he is doing during t Swifty's concerts, and it's like they're like, oh, Travis Kelsey was dancing during I don't know one of her songs. It's like someone's always watching him, watching her, so like he can't just be yawning because they would definitely be like Travis Kelty's yawning during I can't think of any Taylor Swift's songs.
Speaker 1: Do you think Travis Kelsey really likes I do Rick's her songs?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought you meant her No, I mean yes, uh sure.
Speaker 3: Her songs are kind of bops. So like I'm not like a big Oh god, I don't eve want to say it because the Swifties will come after you. I'm not like I'm not like a p one Taylor Swift fan, and all of her songs are bops.
Speaker 1: I have stop talking to you. Then I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Well wait, because you're a p one, you're like her p one is like her top top.
Speaker 1: No you are?
Speaker 3: I love it? Oh yeah, do you write you went to Miami or somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've seen her twice. But the thing is I've known I've known of her music and listened to her music with my daughters since her debut album, So.
Speaker 3: I've seen her first of all, I've seen her like eight times. I didn't go to the last Eras tour, but I've seen her in concert many times. Remember the one where the celebrities walked out to that song? No celebrities would walk out, I forget. It's kind of like a see I don't know all the songs. Yeah, celebrities would come out during it. And then she always did that one where the celebrity would show up and do a duet. That was pretty rad.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I miss Kara completely apparently I was.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So yeah, okay, so can we have David's poem again. I want to. I want to read it to Jenny and make her. I need you to look at me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get my face ready.
Speaker 3: I'm that old poem. You have to look at me like you're thrilled by this. You wrote me a poem.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Has fingertips feel the sensation to weep, a beauty that forces the pain to retreat even though the waves can keep breaking. The power of destiny pulls like a rage. The touch of your lips hides the beast in the cage. It should have been out now, but it's still. We're only halfway for love. As does wine gets better with age. My heart's the one that you're taking. I hope and pray as the years run away and our glass sand stands still as I say I live, I Oh, I messed it up. Keep that face, get that face. I love you a little bit more every day. You're the half to my whole. No mistaking. The rhyming pattern is strange.
Speaker 1: Packing my but off. Come on, but it's a little off.
Speaker 3: Weep, sleep, then retreat. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Whoever?
Speaker 3: Breaking then rage, cage age, taking, breaking away, say day mistaking? Oh wow, that's a intense rhyming pattern. I think it fits the pattern as fingertips feel the sensation to weep. What does that mean? Fingertips weeping and wax melted candles reflect in your sleep? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Don't know?
Speaker 3: Okay, I get that. She's it's a beauty that forces the pain to retreat. She's so beautiful, he's it takes his pain away. The power of destiny pulls like a rage.
Speaker 1: A little angry for me, pulls like a rage.
Speaker 3: The hot the touch of your lips hides the beast in the cage. So she's so sweet, it's like who could be? Who could It's like beauty and the Beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got something completely different out of that line. Oh you did it was naughty, dirty. I was gonna say something dirty, something I didn't.
Speaker 3: I got like beauty and the beast. Like she's so she's so snow white, and it takes away his anger. Yeah, I don't know why he's so angry.
Speaker 1: As we're breaking it down, it's actually making more sense than I'm starting to like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for love. As his wine gets better with age, so they like wine. They're aging like fine wine. My heart's the one that you're taking. Okay, I hope and praise the years run away like they're gonna be together. Oh and then hour glass sand stands still so that like time doesn't go too fast for them, that they get more and more time. I love you a little bit more every day. You're the half to my whole, no mistaking. So the rhyming pattern is hard for me, but I like what it's saying. I think there's a few lines in there. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I feel smelted candles. Yeah. I feel like he could have read it a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Rhymy, a little bit more songy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When he was reading it, I didn't like it. But now that you've read it, I like it.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you. It was it hard to look happily at me the whole time.
Speaker 1: No, I I excelled in that. I think you'll have to roll the tape back and watch. Okay, AnyWho where in the heck where we oh, okay, we go back to see you? So much happens at CU That's like the central, you know, like the little center of the quo.
Speaker 3: Always that quad.
Speaker 1: That's the only set we had. Joe tells Donna that he's headed to see his coach to thank him for his support.
Speaker 3: So Joey.
Speaker 1: Well lind sighted anyway. Meanwhile, Susan walks into her office to find a bouquet of roses given to her by Brandon, and then she gives him two framed letters by Woodward and Bernstein.
Speaker 3: Anybodys, I know Woodward and Bernstein they did Watergate, but yes, and uh, Woodward's daughter is my sorority sister, Tally.
Speaker 1: No, that's not who he's talking anyway. I really love.
Speaker 3: That is that is he's talking at all. But what are the letters? Letter? That's why I didn't know, like she got Woodward and Bernstein to write letters to Brandon or they were like old letters.
Speaker 1: Maybe they were old letters from like when all the everything went down and originals.
Speaker 3: Like it's just very strange gift that I don't get. Well, I understand why the journalists for a journalist.
Speaker 1: I get that part and liked it. He liked it, That's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you didn't like it.
Speaker 3: Amy, did we already have the scene where Joe forgot his T shirt? And I wondered, did he actually forget the T shirt? And Tory AdLib the line or was that part of the script because it was a cute little line.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I can't answer that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was I really enjoyed that little moment. She's like, oh your T shirt and like she says a little cute thing and makes a cute face.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Anyway, So Susan also receives a book of flowers from Jonathan. When I thought Jonathan was off of her now ont ginger, Nope.
Speaker 3: It's all a ploy to get her back. I think that's why they show up at the a Jama party.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we go to Colon's apartment now where Colon frantically looking for his stash and tells Kelly this is this is where Okay, it's already off the rails for me to begin with, but this is the one where I was like what am who is this? But I guess this is.
Speaker 3: Where I was so done with this and so done with him.
Speaker 1: Like you see her becoming a completely different person and just the way she's speaking to him about.
Speaker 3: Him too, Oh my god, he's horrible.
Speaker 1: He calls herself, yes, says, you went through a gram all by yourself, and then her money that bought the coke and Colon says, it was your daddy's.
Speaker 3: It was so aggressive. They are so unhinged. This is super dark, it seems real. It's a total mess.
Speaker 1: She slammed the door on his face. It's very unattractive. What's happening.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're a disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't like it at all. No, I'm so done with it. It's so dark. I don't like watching it. Too dark, too.
Speaker 1: Dark, too real. Okay, back at see you. Joe's coach doesn't want to just check in on him. He wants to tell him that he is replacing his position on the football team because of Joe's conditions. So this is now he's out.
Speaker 3: Is Joe on scholarship?
Speaker 1: You asked me? Like his mom? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was like, is this kid on scholarship? And now does he lose his scholarship? But seems like he shouldn't. I don't know. The whole thing seemed messy. I was like, oh no, And then we see him packing ugh.
Speaker 1: And then it gets really a lot darker when Kelly goes over to Danny Five's house to score some more drugs on her own got rough.
Speaker 3: This turned into like.
Speaker 1: An episode of Intervention.
Speaker 3: This was like euphoria, Like it's so dark. I've never seen euphoria, but this is how I picture it me either so dark. I tried to watch one episode and it was so adult. I was like, I cannot, I'm too scared of it. I watch one episode, I'm like, I'm out. This is really I can't. And Eric Dane, like his character freaked me out. So anyway, I mean like it was you're gonna get raped, like I'm just gonna say it, and I think that other woman is being raped for drugs, like she's yeah, like it's so bad.
Speaker 1: It's so bad. These guys are scumballs.
Speaker 3: It's so bad, Like the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I was like, yikes, I mean, leave it to Colon to introduce Kelli to these CD people. But then she hate him on her own and goes to see them by herself, which is.
Speaker 3: Bananas bananas, and then they are gonna like they it's just so bad. I'm like, it's so bad.
Speaker 1: Also, she snorts some pharmaceutical thing like he's like like, you can't trust this guy to give you all.
Speaker 3: This is in the days before fentanyl, because everybody would be dead. Everybody just dead. It's super dark. It's way too dark almost for even nine o two and zero agree, like they're doing it very real, which is why I'm like, I don't even think I want to watch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad they did it real, only because that made the stakes higher and it, you know, felt legit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very well done.
Speaker 1: Like I liked that it was real acting it because that's the only way you could do something like that is to do it real.
Speaker 3: But yeah, right, I don't want to make it cartoony, and they definitely didn't.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. It's I wonder how our listeners tell us. Do you guys feel like this is too dark? Are you done with the storyline?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I think the reason one of the things is like when we started talking about it and we sort of didn't love the storyline, and I don't want to say we mocked the storyline, but a little bit we did, and people listening were like disagreed with us because they know and they knew how dark it gets, and they were right, like it it is a well done storyline mm hmm, in that they didn't sugarcoat it, but it's so disturbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the theme page, as you amy, but she hits the guy in the head with the wine bottle, makes.
Speaker 3: That's the other guy. It's like so weird, like she was making out with the one guy and then he goes back in the bedroom with the other drug addict and then this second guy comes out.
Speaker 1: Ewroty, scroty. But she gets out. Everybody, don't be too scared because she does get out. Yeah, okay, So then we go to the pepad, where Valerie explains to her friend group that she introduced Ginger to Jonathan to get him out of Susan's hair. Hold up, who's Valerie's friend group? Who? What is that consists of who was there?
Speaker 3: You guys, not you right now, but the gang.
Speaker 1: Huh Okay. Jonathan starts kissing Ginger in front of everyone to make Susan jealous, and Brandon seems to think it's working, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the whole thing, but then this sort of got confusing. I'm not gonna lie because I was so distracted by Steve and Claire at the same time, and I remember Valerie taking Ginger kind of like to a back room or something, and then it's just like then there's a dance, and then Elisa slash Ginger hurts her foot and was that fake? I think it's so she had to step out so Susan could step in.
Speaker 1: This was my favorite part of the episode when we went to Joe's dorm room and there was that super cool shot from above that like spiraled down on him as he's laying on the bed, like so bummed out.
Speaker 3: That's Brandon Slash Jason directing this.
Speaker 1: I did not know that Jason dressed to this episode until I read that to you just a few minutes ago. Yeah, and now knowing that, I'm like, kudos to that creative shot. And I was wondering, Like as I was watching it, I was wondering. I wasn't wondering who did that, who directed that, but I was wondering, how did they do that?
Speaker 3: Good director, he still directs a ton of stuff today.
Speaker 1: They had to have had that camera like on a like a inside crane whatever that's called. We called a jib a little jib and then rotated. But jibs were in ninety six. We're jib's out.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I remember when we started to get jib cameras for iHeart stuff, and I think the jib was kind of expensive.
Speaker 1: Duper that was like a big thing to take out of the budget for us.
Speaker 3: He's a jib.
Speaker 1: But also the cameras back then weren't just like digital cameras. They had that giant those giants. They were huge film on like that big thing, you know, like in.
Speaker 3: The olden days, the days of yore.
Speaker 1: What did that fall on, Joe? I was so worried.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was directed really well. A lot happening. He's all over the place, like directing in car scenes.
Speaker 1: And we can go back to the ppad now and talk to about the how it was was very confusing. Why did she hurt her ankle?
Speaker 3: I think it was on purpose so that Susan would have to step in. Is this where the smackeroo comes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes Then after that he goes over and asks her to dance, and she says no, but then he grabs her and she reacts by punching it and clocking him in the nose.
Speaker 3: I mean, bizarre. I'm not gonna lie, it's like weird whole thing.
Speaker 1: I kind of liked it that she punched him though, but that was aggressive, like you think he wanted a punch a punch in the face right, Like, really, have you ever punched anybody in the face?
Speaker 3: I'm asking.
Speaker 1: I think your answer is no, so.
Speaker 3: Violent thing is I maybe like push someone a little bit and like my brother's I kind of like that, But I don't punch. First of all, that would hurt my hand so bad. I would never punch anybody.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever punched anybody. And oh maybe I had. This was early. This was very I had to have a fight on the playground once and I got but.
Speaker 3: We were little. Oh and you you blows fist punch.
Speaker 1: I did whatever it took to get that girl off me.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, whoa.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got in trouble. We both got in trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then you can say she started it as kids do.
Speaker 1: I remember I was wearing high heels that day too.
Speaker 3: Which was how old were you wearing high heels?
Speaker 1: Oh? I thought I was something I was. That would have been seventh grade. I thought I was Madonna and I would go to school, no wonder if she wanted to fight me. Looking back, Uh, yeah, I would wear high heels and like the whole get up that Madonna would wear, like lacy stuff to school. High heels like three inch pumps high.
Speaker 3: Like lacy skirts, all those layered lacy skirts that Madonna wore. Did you like half a glove?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And the bow and the hair no goofy hair?
Speaker 3: Many chance we have?
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 1: Oh? I could find it? Probably?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need that. I didn't never do like. I never did that. I just wore regular like. I never did that. I was always just like we wore like box or shorts basically, and T shirts and backpacks like we were just like I was preppy. I think too.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. I had moved from the Midwest to Arizona, and I guess I was trying to fit in or I was trying to be something I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: That girl did not care for it, though, And she she tried to take you down. Yeah, she needed to knock me down a little.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 1: I think it was probably necessary. Looking back, I'm going to thank.
Speaker 3: Her for that. I'm a lover, not a fighter. I'm not a I'm not a yeller.
Speaker 1: I don't like fighting either. I used to like it more when I was more real active. I think we're old anymore. Yeah, I'm like, everybody, just keep your voice down.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, my like over stimulation. If there's too much noise and too much coming at me, I'm like the.
Speaker 1: One raises their voice and I'm like, Okay, you don't need to do that.
Speaker 3: I just cover my ears. I'm like, I can't. I can't have a lot of noises. I can't have a lot of light. I can't have any of it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we need to just go living.
Speaker 3: We talk about the pajama party that was kind of very sexy, like there were laterally literally literally ladies in white nighteties on a pole.
Speaker 1: Well that was the whole like scene of the party was.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they would have like a don't have sex party and then have everybody dress sexy. You're right, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: I know. I'm Claire with her like sexy outfit just trying to strip tease Steve kind of like it.
Speaker 1: Was so like what Yeah, there was a lot of.
Speaker 3: Booby what Booby's yeah, and like his then he puts the sleep mask on to cover his eyes. I don't know the whole I was just like, what's happening? We're having that while simultaneously like you are in a dire situation. Right, I'm like, this is very what's a word for that? Juxtaposed yes, and it's it's emotionally hard on the viewer. You were to go back and forth from so I'm sort of so worried about the like rape, and then I'm like supposed to be enjoying this pajama party. I'm like no, and like Joe just gets glossed over. Oh my god. And then simultaneously Valerie asks David to sleep with Ginger. It was so insane.
Speaker 1: That was genius to me.
Speaker 3: That was bonkers. Bonker.
Speaker 1: She said to it, just sleep on it. Let mean, he says he's going to sleep on it, and she's like, no, I need to know right now?
Speaker 3: Was I mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, so fifty k is on the table. Would you ask your boyfriend to sleep with somebody else so that you didn't have to pay them fifty k?
Speaker 3: Fifty k?
Speaker 1: I mean you're really thinking about this.
Speaker 3: I just the whole thing. First of all, here's what I do know.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, you did not answer the question.
Speaker 3: Because I just didn't, like, I mean, if I don't know, like, because what's the the okay, so the fifty k? The other option is she outs her so I've always said, along, just let her out.
Speaker 1: You But what if that what if that's not an option, because that clearly is not an option for val but.
Speaker 3: It should be so now. But if you said, okay, you have to let your your boyfriend sleep with somebody or you're gonna die, Okay, like I'm gonna get murdered, Okay, fine, do it. Like it's all like, what's the other side of the thing. But if the other side of it is just like, oh no, I'm going to tell some of your friends, like you we were a two timing Canniver. They all already know that.
Speaker 1: Why would they all know that go to this extent, It does not make sense.
Speaker 3: Now. What I do know that I agree with is David Yes, the fact that he dumps her.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, I thought that was so good too, that he has the strength to be like, no, I don't want to be with somebody that will and he says.
Speaker 3: I went over there, I told her it wasn't happening. She's gone. I took care of this because I'm in love with you and now we're done.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, that was good. That was like a week.
Speaker 3: That was that was pretty legit.
Speaker 1: You forgot the part where Kelly has gotten out of the house and she's in her car, like yeah, having a full on freak out, and Brandon somehow finds her. How does he find her?
Speaker 3: I think she called him from her car phone. Think he got a call that's also real. She's like in shock, like it was. That was all very good, and then they take her to the hospital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that scene was scary. And then we see that Donna has gone to check in on Joe and she finds him feverishly packing because he's gonna leave school because he's been kicked off the team.
Speaker 3: I mean, and she's kind of like, calm down, let's figure this out. Lots of major things happening in this episode, Like we've got the whole David breakup and all that indecent proposal drama. We've got Joe in that situation, and then your whole storyline is like crazy.
Speaker 1: And then you have Steve in his being Stadia.
Speaker 3: And then we're supposed to go from you being like literally in the car in shock, just escaped, Brandon coming to save you full drama, to like I forwarded at thirty seconds. I took it back thirty seconds. Oh it's two hours later. It's I was just like, what does that work?
Speaker 1: Though? Like is that what people want to watch? Like that kind of like there's so much going on.
Speaker 3: Maybe. I mean, I'm going to give the episode a very high ratings, so maybe. But it was just kind of like whiplash, Like, Okay, now I'm back on the Steve thing and he's trying to wait thirty seconds till the clock strikes whatever. And then she's like, I moved it forward and he's like I moved it back. Whatever they did? Yeah what? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I also don't buy them as a couple, so I'm pretty much ready for them to be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have fun together though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But and then we see David break up with Valerie. That was great for him, and then he gives her back her Venice Beach bracelet that she bought him. Oh yeah, and then we see the in the hospital room where Jackie and Brandon are with Kelly.
Speaker 3: And she says, I still love you, bum bum. He doesn't say it back, but he doesn't leave no, because he felt it, and he goes so far as to stroke her head. Susan's days seemed numbered or nine episodes.
Speaker 1: But do you think that Brandon's gonna want to be with Kelly now and she's gone down this dark road?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, because he does. Oh that was an emotional ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole episode is intense.
Speaker 1: What do you give it? What do you give it? Oh?
Speaker 3: Ten, it's a ten. It's so it's so dark, it's so crazy, there's so much happening. It's a total ten. Look at your pretty nails.
Speaker 1: Why are my fingertips pink only? What's happening? Do you see my hands?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But those are just the tops everyone has red on the sort of the pinky tops. You don't, Yeah, I do, of course I do. It's just the lighting. You have more light.
Speaker 1: We give it a ten.
Speaker 3: Ten, Yeah, it's a it's a really well like dare I say, Emmy Award winning performance by you?
Speaker 1: Oh god? That would be uh something never heard before on our show. Like what it is?
Speaker 3: It's intense.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's intense to this episode.
Speaker 3: In your performance, it was a lot.
Speaker 1: I remember having a really hard time shutting off after doing scenes like that and just shaking that off. That was hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like you're kissing this guy and then.
Speaker 1: Oh, just awf, it's so awful bad, it's bad. She definitely hit rock bottom though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good episode. And and I'm so done with Colin. He's atrocious. Oh he's terrible, really terrible. I mean you were terrible too, but like, get let's get rid of him.
Speaker 1: He's the reason that Kelly was terrible though, like totally, and he needs to go. Well, maybe you go. Our next episode is season six, episode twenty two. All this and Mary too, Huh, you.
Speaker 3: Have no idea how that? I think you're heading to rehub. Who's Mary? I remember? But I think you're heading to Oh is a Christmas note? What time of year is it after Valentine's Oh it's Valentine's say, that's right, who's Mary?
Speaker 1: Is Mary NAT's girlfriend?
Speaker 3: Oh? That is coming back soon and rehabs coming So yeah, it's all happened.
Speaker 1: Who knows, We will find out, you guys. That's the beauty of the show, not knowing what's coming next, except Damie knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wait, we still got a little time before the show fully jumps the shark. I think we've got the rest of this and part of next season and then it's real bad. I can't wait eight, nine, and ten or oh yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be good. Okay, that's it for this episode. Thanks everybody for watching. We hope you loved it as much as we do, and we will see you next week watching the TV show, Thanks for watching the podcast, just kidding watching Yeah bye,