Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number one eighty seven of the Marine Layer Podcast. We welcome on David Sampson, former baseball executive and host of Nothing Personal. We'll talk with him about the dynamics of owning a baseball team, whether or not teams make money, and how this all relates to the Mariners.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys' reminder before we start this podcast, please do us a favorite. Guys, if you're listening, make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes, make sure you're rating and reviewing, leaving it five stars or doing us huge favors if you do. If you're watching on YouTube, you guys know by now, but we'll continue to remind you. The best best way you can support us is just hit that subscribe button on YouTube. It takes two seconds, it's free, it's easy, and again it supports the channel. Make sure to like, make sure to comment, again, make sure to subscribe. And then if you're on social media, follow us on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube shorts, Blue Sky at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network. Recording on Monday evening, December second, while who is holding up the hot stove of this offseason? Nothing is happening.
Speaker 2: Nothing well, actually no, not nothing. Blake Snell signed, so that was something.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so Seattle area people are allowed to sign with the super team of deferred money, which, by the way, Blake Snell gets a lot of deferred money in that contract. Surprise, surprise, hmm.
Speaker 2: I just think it's hilarious. By the way, quick side note that everybody knows he wants to be a Mariner, but he has to pick a different option because the Mariners will not offer him the money. Like everybody know, if it was up to him, he'd be in Seattle.
Speaker 1: The Mariners could defer his money into twenty eighty two. I don't think he'd care great.
Speaker 2: By that point, there'll be a new ownership group. It's not the problem of this current one.
Speaker 1: It's like the Dodgers, like the does the Dodgers current ownership group actually plan on paying this money out of their own pocket?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Nobody's gonna want to buy the Dodgers ten years from now. So this ownership group, for their sake, I hope they stay because they're not gonna sell this team.
Speaker 1: Well, they're not gonna they wouldn't make money off So there, I would say, revenue wise, I'm gonna take a guess and we'll talk about this a little bit with David Sampson coming up. But operationally, the Dodgers do make money and due to a number of factors or television deal, their relationships with brands in Japan now, et cetera, et cetera. But you're right, teams don't owners or perspective, owners don't want to buy teams that have outstanding debt. It's like buying a business that it's losing money. It's the same idea of that. So that'll be interesting. But that's the Dodgers problem, not the Mariners. We just missed. The Mariners would make a move right now. I mean we've passed Thanksgiving this past week and Jerry to Poto didn't make any moves. He must have actually been focused on cooking this time.
Speaker 2: It's December, Ameriics haven't made any moved by December. This never happens. They're always active. They're always right on the ball with this stuff. Yeah, who's holding it up? You could say one Soto, but I don't think it is because how many teams are really in on one Soto. I don't even really think the Dodgers are in on him. I think it's really the serious players, Red Sox, Yankees, Matts. If you want to throw the Blue Jays in, I guess the blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Is it because those are the team only teams that really want to spend money this offseason because most of the league is still in some some version of TV flux. Maybe he could be It could be it. I think of it in the Roki Sasaki since too some teams might just want to keep a roster spot open given that he won't sign until mid January, and teams, if teams think they could sign him, their priorities of signing elsewhere on their roster change with that. That could be a case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. The other part of this is I don't know the quantity of moves the Mariners are going to make those offseason. The quantity maybe down. Maybe they only make a couple. Hopefully the couple they make are of significance and impact. AKA, if they were to trade for Alec Bohm, that could take a while to come together. If that's who they're really focused on. If that's what they're working toward. Rather than a lot of other off seasons. They make a bunch of moves and they kind of flow in time after time. Maybe this year it's only gonna be a couple.
Speaker 1: Isn't it weird to think about it? This time last offseason, the Mariners had already traded Auhennihoswaras away, and it was this past weekend, a year ago. Lau, if I have my timing right, they traded away Kelnick? Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What great vibes that was speaking of Gino.
Speaker 1: So from a content perspective, selfishly, i'd rather have that again. From a ViBe's perspective, you're right sucked.
Speaker 2: And from the perspective of wanting the team to be good, it sucked. Hey, you know who could use a third basement right now? The Mariners? You know who went thirty and one hundredast year and was one of the seven most valuablet third basement of baseball last year? Oh? That was that was Gino. Despite a really tough first half.
Speaker 1: It's funny today that they're on Monday. There's a Rosenthal article that gets published that's reporting that the Mariners were, in his words, looking to upgrade at third believing that after the Mariners had previously asserted at the GM meetings earlier that they were looking to upgrade second. If they were going to pick a position, they were going to pick second to upgrade. But Rosenthal's here saying they're looking at third base. What do we choose to believe here?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can choose to believe anything until they actually physically transact and make moves. I don't know what to believe. I think we know they're going to try and upgrade on the infield. Do I like how they're operating this offseason? No, that's no secret. Everybody who listened to this podcast knows that. Anybody who knows me knows that. You know that you feel the same way. Operating with a sixteen million dollars payrolls a joke. That being said, if the Mariners are going to make impact moves this winner now focusing just on the Rosenthal report, doesn't it make more sense to actually gear that focus towards second base? And I know I just said that the Mariner's training for Alec Bohm would be great. I think it would be the problem is, once you get past Alec Bohm, who are you acquiring to play third base? There's way more options over at second whether it's Niko Horner, whether it's hass On Kim, whether it's others. At third base, it's Booneman then.
Speaker 1: What That's what the Mariners say in their farm system too.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: If you list out the options the Mariners could play at second it's Dylan Moore, Ryan Bliss, and you could put Leo Revos at second base, and you can put Cole Young at second base. Right They have the options there.
Speaker 2: And that's why they The Rosenthal report likely has that they are more interested in third base. And Rosenthal mentions that in his report that the Mariners feel better internally about out what they have at second than what they have at third. And look by the letter of the law and by definition, I understand what Rosenthal is saying. If a ground ball was to roll the second base or to roll the third base, where do you have more depth? Right now? Second base are either good options for everyday players? No, but they do have more options at second base by definition, yes, Dylan Moore can play plenty at second base. I also think Dylan Moore is much better suited in a utility role than he is in an everyday role. But yeah, if they have to find options at second base, they can do it. I don't know what they're going to do at third base.
Speaker 1: I think it was for end of the Pod. Jason Churchill was tweeting about this earlier and noting that as the offseason rolls along and team's canvas for what's actually available needs do change. It could very well be that when Justin Hollander mentioned at the GM's meetings that the Mariners were focusing on second base, they spent the last few weeks calling around about second baseman, checking on the availability of free agents second basement, and realized, huh, I don't think that's realistic. It's more realistic to go after third base. That's a real thing right there. So when you look at it that way and you look at what the Mariners have internally, it clicks that if that is true the first part I mentioned what I think Jason mentioned on Twitter. If that part is true, then this part makes a whole lot more sense. I don't think Mariners fans really care which position the Mariners go upgrade, because they're not gonna be able to truly upgrade at all. Three positions given the budget they have. But you just want one, right, You just want one serious acquisition at these positions. That's all you want. It can't be in three weeks from now. It's like, oh, we're gonna pivot onto the first base market now because we don't like what we see at third. It's like, that's not giving us very much confidence because now you've gone in a circle around the entire infield, which, if we're being realistic lyle where there is the most options is at first base. Yet it has not been mentioned.
Speaker 2: No, they need to upgrade at two positions. Are they gonna do that? That's a different question. They need to upgrade at two positions. I think what Mariners fan should be settling on not one.
Speaker 1: Oh and bullpen by the way, yes.
Speaker 2: But you mentioned, but you mentioned I think Mariners fans just want to see one upgraded. No, I think they want to see at least two upgraded. It's just the team has yanked down the expectations so low that people have settled with one.
Speaker 1: I'm seriously upgraded at multiple positions since what.
Speaker 2: I don't even know, right, So that's why I just want one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So because people don't even have the confidence they're going to do one right.
Speaker 2: Because what you're saying is they haven't done it in years, years and years.
Speaker 1: So I mean after the twenty two offseason it was ta Oskar Hernandez was the upgrade. That was a serious outfield upgrade?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Where was the other one? They didn't do another serious one It Colton long as we could tell DFAED midseason, was not a serious upgrade. I think the idea was a serious upgrade, but the execution of it was not right.
Speaker 2: For Hey, Polanco last year was supposed to be a big one, didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Didn't happen. Mitch Garver was supposed to be a big one, didn't happen, got to mote it. They have not been able to do two serious acquisitions. So that's why when you when you look at this one would be a great start because people people were paranoid. Read our comments to all of you that listen and don't spend time commenting on our things and might just think a while, and I reiterating some of these points to try and hammer home, especially about the relievers. By the way, they do need a reliever really bad in that bullpend high leverage would be great. Some of I know some of you listening don't read our comments all the time, but there is a paranoia out there from a large swath of people that they're not going to do anything. That's why I think one is just so important because one, even if it's not perfect, well even if it's not perfect, one serious upgrade in the offseason and a bounce back across this roster leads to a potential play opposition.
Speaker 2: How do you think those calls went between Jerry and Justin when they were trying to figure out how to upgrade at second base? Do you think they called has Song Kim's camp? It was like, Hello, they were interested in Hassan Kim a ten million a year. Now we're out, Bye, hang up the phone.
Speaker 1: Well, now they should go to Heisung Kim.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: I'm play shouldn't, but that's in their budget.
Speaker 2: While we're on this topic, I'm spending thirty seconds on this. I think Haisan Kim is Josh Rojas, who, by the way, they just let go. I think he's a good defender and isn't gonna hit in the big leagues. I will be shocked if his WRC plus in his first year is over ninety five. In other words, that is Josh Rojas. And if you spend real money on that, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna be happy, and it's gonna cost more.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Again, I think Hay Song Kim is Josh Rojas.
Speaker 1: Can you not wait for Winter meetings? Jerry's gonna trade for someone while we're at Winter Meetings?
Speaker 2: Are we gonna make a scene while we're there in the ballroom or wherever the main common area is.
Speaker 1: Well, just depends what it is, am I we me? Yeah, I mean I can be tame emotionally in public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TJ TJ one T doesn't quite get worked up as worked up as I do. He'll get worked up and not to my level. And yeah, he's probably better about keeping it together in public. If if the Mariners do something stupid while we're at the Winter meetings, I cannot guarantee I won't just be unhinged.
Speaker 1: What's gonna be the best thing, though, is like Jerry's finishing at walking down the hall, like across the hotel, but we're all gonna be on the ground level, so he's gonna make the trade. Rosenthal or Paston's gonna tweet it out You're gonna go far and Jerry's gonna be like.
Speaker 2: Oh, what was that?
Speaker 1: Was that because of me? Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that those? Is that those Mariners? Podcasters? Oh boy?
Speaker 1: But then we're gonna walk over to him too. Mic into jerry first reaction.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Would you like would you like our rec action into the trade?
Speaker 1: Not really guys. What it's like, can you give me twenty can you give me fifteen seconds?
Speaker 2: Well, it's like it's like, why don't you want our reaction? Well I heard you across the hall from all these people.
Speaker 1: I'll be calm. It's like, I don't think so right.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, another reminder of you guys are going to be at the Winter Meetings next week. For any of you that might be listening, please let us know. We'd love to meet up. We'd love to come say hey, we'd love to talk ball et cetera. So a couple of you already, a couple of you have already reached out. If there's more of you that are going to be there, seriously, please let us know.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk about some of these It's I'm so yeah, I'm looking forward to it. So please please reach out to us, send us a DM at us. If you're going to be there in Dallas winter meetings, that would be that would be awesome. Yeah, I'm looking forward to this conversation with David Samson Lyle really fun former executive for sixteen years with the Marlins h under Jeffrey Lauria, also a former executive of the Montreal Expose. He does a great job of explaining the dynamics between front offices and ownerships, which I know is a hot topic this offseason.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to get into it, and let us preface it a little bit more here in just a minute. Before that, let's take a pause. We're gonna talk to you guys about our friends over at Pigatcha's PUBB eighty five. That's over in Kirkland. You guys know, with sports going in full swing, NFL season is getting really exciting. College football playoffs right around the corner conference championship games or this week Arizona State's in the Big twelve title game. Whoo. So if you want to go watch a bunch of games basketball, hockey two head over there. You can have some great food, playpool, play darts, and if you go during happy hour, you're gonna find the best drink specials around. Those are three and four dollars drinks during Happy Hour from two to six pm on Monday through Fridays. So do you need more of a sales pitch, awesome drinks, fun time with your friends, go watch a bunch of sports. All that is over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. Yet we wanted to have David on because, yet again, for the second off season in a row, the biggest headline in Mariners world seems to yet again be ownership and their commitment or lack thereof, to fielding a successful on field product that is capable of truly being a contender, and a powerhouse that seems to be the overarching headline yet again. We talked about it a bunch last offseason. The two of us discussed it plenty. We had a couple people on some reporters on last year to help try to contextualize it to some extent. But we really wanted to get David on this offseason because he is somebody who's been in front offices, been in ownership groups. He's been in these meetings. You get a sense of how he thinks and how owners think with this. I can guarantee you this. I don't think you guys are gonna agree with all of it in terms of what he says, but it's fascinating and we didn't agree with all of what he says. We were fascinating to listen and we'll react to some of this after the interview. But hearing what he said, there were things that were clicking in my head that didn't click before.
Speaker 1: Look, guys, this is gonna be a different perspective. I just want you guys to gear up for that as you listen to this interview, a different perspective from people we have had on in the past to talk about that. And that's why I'm not gonna hold you guys up any longer. Let's get you to that interview with David Samson. All right, We've got David Samson on with us. Former executive for the Miami Marlins and the Montreal expos He's also the host of Nothing Personal with David Samson, part of Metal Arc Media. David, thanks so much for taking some time to join us. I wanted to start off sort of tying in your old career and your now current career because for some of our listeners who might be unfamiliar with your work. You served in a pretty high up level of the Marlins and the Expos organization, and now you're just like kind of like Klaloney and you do a show every single day. So how unique is it for someone that held a position like you held to be doing such a front facing up show like you currently do.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I was president of the Marlins for sixteen seasons, and in twenty seventeen when I got fired by a text alert from ESPN that Derek Jeter was firing me, I was the second longest tenured president in all of baseball, and I would say twenty four hours after I was let go, which I knew I was going to be because I had orchestrated the sale of the team to Derek Jeters, so I knew I wasn't he wasn't going to keep me, and when his first box arrived in my office, I knew that something was a miss. But I immediately knew that I wanted to get into media because I had been front facing and sort of the public face of both the Expos for two seasons and then the Marlins for sixteen, and I was ready for the next career, and I immediately started with CBS Sports right after early two thousand eighteen, and then I was approached to start a show, and I thought of an idea called Nothing Personal and Nothing Personal with David Sampson is a daily show, and it really gives people insight into demystifying what goes on in front offices around sports, and I tell stories and sort of analyze what's happening when people are talking to the media, because I did that for eighteen years, and I always had an agenda, and there was a lot of bait and switch and misleading that I was doing purposefully both to get better players, to get better players cheaper, to get our fans to buy tickets as much as they could or would, to give hope, however false it may be. And so this is a show that's dedicated to just a lot of truth telling. And I'm a pretty forward person and when I got the invite to come on your show, I was happy to do it. As you know, it's hard to do a daily show, it's hard to do a show of any kind. And I've been doing Nothing Personal for five years and it continues to grow and it's a fantastic stick be fun, but daily grind.
Speaker 1: The name of it nothing personal, I think ties back to sort of the main subject of I think what we'll talk about today with the dynamics between ownership and front office and fans. But the title itself nothing personal. I would imagine the idea behind that is how a lot of teams operate are saying, look, it is nothing personal to all of you. This is business. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I end every show with the line, it's just business, this is nothing personal, And I use that line a lot during my career. You're crushing a lot of dreams as a team president, whether it is fans when you don't win and there's twenty nine losers every year, or whether it's players who you're releasing or sending back to the minor leagues. There's always some negativity that you're associated with. But on the other hand, I loved what I did because we were in the memory making business and we did a lot of cool things like winning a World Series and getting in ballpark and hosting an All Star Games. So there's all sorts of great dichotomies when you're the president of a team, and if you're going to be someone who's front facing. You've got to be there when things are bad and when things are good. And that was my specialty through my eighteen seasons, and that's what I continue to do on the show and that's.
Speaker 4: What we should talk about here today if you want to that.
Speaker 3: There's so much that goes into making a team, and it is hard to be a fan of a sports team because you are signing yourself up for disappointment because there's only one winner at the end of every season. And so when your customers, by definition, are going to be disappointed with your product, but you want them to keep engaging with it and keep spending their money and their time. It's a very interesting relationship that you have with the media and with the fan base and with people really around the country or the world. And I like digging into that and talking about that.
Speaker 2: So I want to dig back into something you just said after I ask you this about your show, about the information you've brought to people since joining the media. What is something that you've shared that you feel like fans really didn't know about how sports teams franchises are run until you shared the information, and people are like, oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of what I do is when there are press conferences and press releases, I translate them and explain to people why teams are saying what they're saying when they're firings of coaches or general managers, or the process of signing a player. I was responsible for signing gian Carlos Stanton at the time, it was the biggest contract in North American sports. And talking through how that process is, how you deal with things throughout the course of a year. I had a death, you know, Jose Fernandez tragically died, and talking through that. They're just really every sort of experience, from losing one hundred games to winning a World Series, from trading away all your players to signing a bunch of the best free agents and explaining how all those processes work. I think it's important for fans and listeners, and it's been born out by the size of the show. People want to hear this, they want to hear the stories. And I've always told people I'm not curing cancer, I'm not splitting the atom. I'm merely telling people how things really worked and trying to take some of the mystique away from what people perceive is these very secretive things and brilliance of sports people, when in fact we're really just like everybody else.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned signing up to be a sports fan is extremely hard. The two of us could sit here and tell you absolutely, we go through it every day with a team that's never made the World Series. But I've wanted to have this question answered for so long. I'd probably sit around and think about it way too often, and you feel like somebody that would be a great person to ask it to. So here we go, why do owners and these billionaires that own teams decide to get into it? And it's a little more of a deep question than that, because I'm sure you're going to respond and say, well, money, it's super profitable. You can make a lot owning a team. But these billionaires, well, one their rich to begin and number two, there are a lot of ways post careers for whatever these guys have done for most of their lives, to continue to make money as they go on through life. But I guess I've always looked at owning a team as something that was supposed to be a way to give back to the community, give back to your fans, to try to really invest in something for your city. But as we all know, there's a lot of owners in the game that don't really operate like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to burst your bubble, but let me start at the beginning of your question and tell you that many of the owners who got into the game in the nineties and early two thousands, they got in at pretty low prices, and when you call them billionaires, their assets may be worth billions, but they are not actual liquid at all. They've got a lot of their money tied up in teams, and the teams many of them do not make money operationally, and they're forced to borrow money or pledge their other assets, or use their savings in order to operate teams.
Speaker 4: And of course you can get it all back when you sell.
Speaker 3: But the reason why very many owners don't sell and they hold for a long time, and the main reason they get in was perfectly stated by Steve Balmer when he bought the Clippers, and he had a great story that he told and it is exactly spot on. He was one of the founders of Microsoft. He was an actual liquid billionaire, and he said, I can't get into any restaurants in LA I bought the Clippers, and I can do whatever I want. Whenever I want to, I make a call and say it's Steve Balmer. I want to have dinner at eight twenty two, and they will open the red carpet and he'll have a table wherever he wants. And there is such ego involved because there's so few opportunities to own teams, and when you're an owner of a team, you're just treated in a way that you were not treated even if you started or worked in a huge company. There was an owner of the Astros. His name was Drayton McClain, very successful businessman, and he and I would talk often about how funny it was to own a team and how you would try to take the lessons that you basically did to build up your company or to build up your other business and apply them in baseball, and it doesn't work, and owners get super frustrated by that. Ted Lerner of the Nationals rest in Peace, one of my mentors, another great example, a hugely successful real estate man. He tried to run the Nationals like his organization and it totally failed. And so owners are very interesting creatures. And the one adjective I would use to describe almost all of them they're incredibly thin skinned. They're not used to being in public. They don't like being criticized. They want all of the accolades they loved when their hands are shaked and they're asked for autographs and pictures. They don't like reading bad stuff about them. They don't like any negativity, and they always believe that they're right because they're powerful. So it's a very interesting dynamic that happens in ownership and even down to a team president, where you're used to getting what you want when you want it, and then you realize that the vagaries of the game on the field are totally beyond your control. And just last thing, the reason why you see managers get fired and gms get fired is because owners are thinking that there's a fix to everything, that there's a logical reason why you lose a game, and therefore if you just fix it, then you won't lose a game. And it takes a long time as an executive to understand that there are just certain things that are what they are.
Speaker 1: So then what are the traits of an owner that is largely successful.
Speaker 3: I would say the biggest trade is to let people do their job. But I would say that's the trade of a successful CEO of any company. And the thing about owners is that you think that your owner medals. And I don't know if you think your owner does medal, but I'll tell you thirty owners medal. And it may be degrees of medaling. But don't kids yourself every time an owner tells you that, hey, you know my GM, just I let him do what he wants. I give him the payroll and the rest is up to him. It's total horse hockey. The owner knows everything that's going on, doesn't read anything in the paper about his team. And we'll call up his GM and say, I want to sign this guy, trade that guy, do this, call the manager and say, why didn't you hit and run? And these owners think they're baseball people and the majority of them simply are not.
Speaker 1: You mentioned something in your second to let your two answers ago, where you mentioned that not all these teams operationally make money. I'd like to dive into that a little bit more. Where are the shortcomings for some of these franchises that they see their bottom line going to the red? Where are they missing out where other franchises aren't.
Speaker 3: So the rule that I was taught my first day by Bud Selig is that if your player payroll is fifty percent or greater of your revenue, you are going to lose money. And he's who is right twenty five years ago, he's right today.
Speaker 4: And that is the general rule of thumb.
Speaker 3: No coincidence that if you look at a salary cap league like the NBA, there's a general rule of a fifty to fifty split for revenue for payroll because that's about as high as you can go. But there are owners who go higher. I can tell you the New York Mets are a great example. They get crushed, operationally crushed. And you think that because he's a billionaire, he'll keep doing it forever. He won't number one, but number two. His payroll is so high that he doesn't have the revenue to cover it, but he's willing to do it because he's a new owner and very much wants to win. But what you've been noticing is that there's not a direct correlation between size of your payroll and winning. Despite the fact that the Yankees and Dodgers were in the World Series recently and they were two of the top three payrolls. It really hasn't been like that, And so I would just tell you that every owners meeting we would see on the screen, they would just show us the team, the teams ebadas, the industry ebadas, which means whether a team is making money or losing money, and the cash flow of teams, and the overwhelming majority of teams did not make money. And Bud Selig would say to us, what are you guys doing? And we were It was all men at the time, and maybe Pam Gardner of the Astros was the one woman in the room. You put yourself through hell for one hundred and sixty two days a year. You're gonna lose at least sixty games every year if you're the best team, and then you're gonna lose money at the end of the year. What's wrong with you people? And he would do it with a little more swearing and a die coke in his hand. But his point was always listened to by owners but never followed.
Speaker 1: Does that mostly the does it mostly come back to TV money? Like we've seen the last year plus with some of these rsns, where that gap is where the teams that make money separate themselves.
Speaker 3: Well, not necessarily because they're teams with great broadcast revenue that don't necessarily make money.
Speaker 4: The Yankees are a great example.
Speaker 3: They used to take out a lot of money from the Yes Network, and so their team would lose money, but the owners would be fine because Yes Network was throwing off so much cash. But then they sold off a bunch of Yes Network. They took a payment and spent that and they've been running huge payrolls to no avail, as Yankee fans know, and so eventually you just realize that you've got to run a break even business if you've run out of the ability to borrow money and you don't want to put your own money in. The disruption of the rsns is a huge deal because your TV revenue is a huge percentage of your overall revenue for all of the teams, and when it is in jeopardy the way it is now, and when the value of the owned networks goes down like for Yes Andnessen and Massin and SNY, it really does eventually impact your team and your team payroll.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned Steve Cohen, I have two questions about and things surrounding him. Number One, you sound like you don't think he can operate like this forever, which maybe sounds obvious because he spends like crazy, But is it as short term as you're kind of eluding it to be. Is it only going to be for another couple of years you think that he can do this before it catches up to him.
Speaker 4: It depends when he wins.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you, when you buy a team, you get five years of amazing tax benefits because of amortization and depreciation of the assets that you've purchased.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: It's a technical thing, but the bottom line is that you can stand to have losses because you can use those losses. But when that five years runs out, your financials look completely different. Steve con very easily with what he spent on the Mets, could have had in his mind that he was buying them really for two seven and that he was going to lose six hundred million dollars and just bounce that off as as purchase price.
Speaker 4: Frankly, so there will be a limit.
Speaker 3: You just don't know when it is, but I would say that it's not this year, but I would say I can see it from here.
Speaker 1: How much do owners look at the balance between some of the money they lose and then how much their team appreciates every year.
Speaker 3: It's a great question. So I'll tell you what I did with our owner, because we lost money every year of my eighteen years, which isn't a great reflection to me except for maybe three of them. And what I would say to the owner is, why don't you reallocate your assets, sell one of your pieces of art, borrow money, use your cash, because if we lose twenty million by having a payroll where we have it, I promise you your team is going to go up in value by more than twenty million.
Speaker 4: So if you can.
Speaker 3: Handle the short term cash loss, then it's worth it because you'll get it back on appreciation. And for our owner, that made sense because his entry price was low enough that he was making money on a sale whenever that would come, even if it would come with his estate after death, which it didn't turn out. He sold the team in seventeen after Jose Fernandez died. But for many of these teams their entry price. Now take a look at at the recent deals where the price is higher, like Bruce Sherman of the Marlins paid one point two billion. He's been losing money since twenty seventeen, and he's not seen a return on that money at all, because the team isn't worth more than one point two. As a matter of fact, he'd sell it today at one point two, but no one would give him that.
Speaker 4: So it depends what your entry price is.
Speaker 1: Are these teams just compiling up outstanding debt with like banks or so they were, like you said, borrowing against other assets they own, like for the Mariners, who would if if this was the case for them, it would be root sports, I would imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's several places where you get debt. The first is there's industry debt, which is a line of credit or a borrowing that Major League Baseball does and uses its national TV deals as collateral and allows each team to borrow an amount of money based on that as collateral. Then you've got owners who borrow money with the team as collateral. Then you've got owners who borrow money with their other assets as collateral, and then.
Speaker 4: You have a cap.
Speaker 3: There's something called the Debt Service Rule in Major League Baseball which limits the amount of debt that you can have on your team, and if you're in violation of it, you've got to put money into your team. And baseball has many teams in violation, and it forces owners to adjust. So let me give you the best example. The Padres total violation of the debt service rule, a totally irresponsible payroll.
Speaker 4: And guess what their.
Speaker 3: Payroll went down significantly from two years ago to last year. And I would bet you it goes down again because while they sell out and they have a waiting list for season tickets, they're not making money.
Speaker 4: They're bleeding money, and so you have to adjust your payroll.
Speaker 3: By the way, one more thing, sorry, look at the Achillies. John Middleton just sold maybe ten percent of the team. You can sell, oh your shares in the team to bring in money, and it's not being used to get Juan Soto. It's being used to pay down debt in order to get your balance sheet in order. So that's another way that owners can raise money for their team. If you own eighty percent, you can sell ten percent. But you'd be shocked at the number of owners and the faces and names that you know, and how much of the team they actually own.
Speaker 2: This is all really interesting, speaking of ownership stake. The other Steve Cohen question I wanted to circle back to is when it comes to decision making by an ownership group. How much easier is it when you are in a large, large majority owner like Steve cohen is, where he owns roughly ninety five percent of the New York Mets compared to the Mariners, where there's roughly fourteen to eighteen people on this ownership group. And I would imagine I'm not a fly on the wall in there, but i would imagine it's hard to make decisions and to get eighteen people to come together on an agreement. So how much harder is it when it's one person versus a group?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's nothing so limited as being a limited partner in a baseball team. You're not getting any say over signings, trades, anything. You may get a few board meetings a year, you may get a little nosh, and you may get a you know, a Mariner's cap. But there is a control person and that control person is in charge of the team and every decision the team makes. And the control person gets his power from his partnership agreement with his other partners with the other owners. So you do you never and every partnership agreement may be different. So there could be a partnership agreement where there's a clause that says you can't sign a free agent for over five hundred million dollars without permission of a majority.
Speaker 4: Of the partners.
Speaker 3: So there can be examples, but the overwhelming majority of decisions are made simply by the control person and the team.
Speaker 1: Why is a team like the Dodgers able to be such an anomaly when it comes to spending habits and it just it feels more sustainable with what they're doing well.
Speaker 3: Out The number one thing is when Mark Walter bought the team, something happened. Remember they bought the team from Frank McCort, who had to sell the team because of a divorce. And it was a very interesting sale process. It was an auction, but it was fixed and it was going to Goggenheim Partners Mark Walter and what they did to get the sale price up. And if you recall way back when they bought it, it was a record at the time, but it was really an inflated number because what Baseball did is they had a pre arranged deal for a new TV deal with Comcast that gives them hundreds of millions of dollars a year in broadcast revenue that other teams simply don't have, and when you have that amount of revenue and your local TV deal, it enables you to be separate from the pack. And that's what the Dodgers are. They're well run, don't get me wrong, but they have a huge revenue advantage that was given to them. They had a huge revenue sharing advantage that was given to them in a last minute deal as well, in terms of what would count for revenue sharing and what wouldn't, and all of it was so the Dodgers sell price would be higher, so that bud stealer could say, hey, look, we're a healthy league. Our teams are selling for a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Since you've had direct experience with something like this, I want to run it by you because a lot of Mariners fans think Marror's ownership should sell and think that would solve the problems when it comes to how the Mariners spend, how they operate all these things. So, as Lyell mentioned, the ownership group is large. How complicated of a process would that be for the Mirrors to truly be sold?
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: There's tag along rights, which means that the general partner has the right to sell the partnership and the other partners would come with him. But I guess I would ask you to go back to when I first got in the game. Can you think of and I'll ask you this question.
Speaker 4: Who the richest.
Speaker 3: Owner was when I joined the game on December ninth of nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Who was the richest owner at that time?
Speaker 2: Was it George Steinbrunner?
Speaker 3: Nope, it was Carl Pohlad. He was the owner of the Minnesota Twins. The Minnesota Twins were up for contraction. They couldn't get a ballpark done. Wayne heizinga hugely rich man when he owned the Marlins, couldn't get a ballpark deal done, cut his payroll, did a fire sale. There really is no direct correlation other than Steve Kohene right now, to wealth and how your team is operated. So that is one of those things that people believe. The grass is always greener. Believe me, people in Miami know about it. When our owners sold to Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter, they thought they had gotten a gift from heaven and now it's like they want us back or something.
Speaker 2: So these teams that you talked about do spend a lot. And we talked about Steve Cullen for a bit already. But you mentioned the Phillies, you mentioned the padres. If it's so financially irresponsible, do you have a take on why they continue to do it?
Speaker 4: Oh, because they want to win.
Speaker 3: They because they an agent who says, hey, you're an octogenarian, you have no ring. It's super fun to win a ring. And you know what's more fun than winning one ring, it's winning two rings. And so even once you win your first like we did in three, we spent the next fourteen years chasing Amy trying to get the second ring.
Speaker 4: And it makes you do.
Speaker 3: Weird things because you feel like that you're invincible. When you're a world champion, it's the greatest.
Speaker 4: Feeling in the world.
Speaker 3: And once you're world champion, you're always a world champion. And then it becomes sort of a contest in the owners meeting. These owners are very competitive with each other. Don't kid yourself. And when you have a bunch, I'll tell you one funny thing. Lon Trust I love me. He's the CEO of the Yankees. Long time he went to owners meeting, He's wearing every one of his Yankee rings. He had him on every finger and he'd walk into the meeting room like that, and that just sort of exemplifies the sort of competition. So owners want to get rings if they can, but they realize that it's way harder than they thought.
Speaker 1: Fans want team I think fans across the league want teams to spend more money. And if we're talking about teams across the league losing money, how are they going to how do in this day, with Rison's falling through, how are they gonna start generating more revenue here for the future. So hopefully some of the fans can get what they want.
Speaker 3: Well, you're seeing what MLB is trying to do with nationalizing the digital rights in order to share more revenue and take some away from the larger markets and give it to the smaller markets. But again, I would say to fans, would you And I've asked fans this, so I'll ask you, guys, do you like Steven Ross owns the Dolphins spends money hand over fist. They haven't won a playoff game since two thousand. Does he get a pass for that level of incompetence. It's not like the Mariners never spend money. It's not like they don't sign free agents. It's just that they haven't been hugely successful. So is it that you want to win or do you want to win with some sort of weird notion of spending more money and more money. I've always found that confusing. I would think you just want to win. Would you trade places with the Tampa Bay Rays? Low pay roll, no attendance, but they're in the World Series or in the playoffs almost every year.
Speaker 1: I take the results. I think if I would to speak for Mariner fans currently, the state they're in is that they have tried almost everything else except spending, and it hasn't worked. So it's how do you take that next step forward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll give some context to it. David, You're absolutely right. The Mariners over the last twenty years at points have spent on free agents Cano Beltrey, Richie Sex, and there's others. Since the new ownership group took over, they gave Julio Rodriguez the big extension. But when you look at position player free agents, which have been a glaring need in terms of offense for this team over the last few years. The biggest contract they've ever handed out in free agency was two years and twenty four million, and that that surpassed a one year, seven million dollar contract. So over the last few years they're not exactly investing in their bats. You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's interesting you say that because I am not a big fan. You know are you would you rather be a San Francisco Giants fan? And they had the dynasty in ten, twelve, and fourteen, but they spend money handover fist. You know, Matt Chapman, they extended him and brought in Blake Snell and Solaire and it just doesn't always work. And the thing about bats and players in general, if I'm Jerry Depoto, I don't want to be asked to sign Sodo or to sign Bregman because I'm not in that market and I don't add value with those signings. Whoever gets Soto Bregman, you know, Christian Walker, who'd be a good fit for Seattle. But I want my GM to find the next seth Lugo. I don't want him signing Robinson Cano. Find me a guy, give give him forty five over three who no one wants and let him be a cy Young fin finalist. Find me a bat who's gonna be a return on the investment, who will outperform a contract that nobody else wants because we've got the best baseball people. And so what a lot of owners are doing is now spending a lot of money on their analytics and on how they evaluate players. But it's gone too far and now you're losing out on the ability of baseball people to identify value. Now it's just computers identifying the value. And you don't really win with just doing that. So to me, it's a combination. And you know free agent spending. Man, you guys got Cano. You don't think that still hurts even though he's a new owner. That's sort of signing where there's all this excitement during the off season and it ends up being crap.
Speaker 4: I would know.
Speaker 3: I've won an off season or two and ended up being a crappy team. It's fun to win the off season, but I'd rather win the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, go, So I quickly say, if the Mariner's one with a fifth team million dollars pay roll and they won the World Series, I wouldn't say a word. It's all about winning andrega. Yeah, like TJ said, what does it have to what do they have to do to take the next steps?
Speaker 4: Anyway, go have to make better decisions. Yeah, it's not that they're not spending money.
Speaker 3: If you look at what they did last year, they signed players that if they hit, he'd be a genius. You'd be calling for the extension. They just didn't hit, and that's part of the game. It is impossible people say that their own team has they draft terribly. No one ever makes it. They get screwed on trades, and look at how good the players are when they're traded away, and then they come here and they regress. All thirty fan bases say that same thing.
Speaker 1: David, this has been awesome. We appreciate you sharing some of your insight here with us. It is. It has really been an eye opening, eye opening experience here for us today, and we hope some of our listeners learned along as well. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Have a great day.
Speaker 2: Well, that interview was certainly interesting. We learned a lot. I'm sure you learned a lot. We're gonna spend a few minutes you're reacting to it before we wrap up the podcast. So your biggest takeaway was what.
Speaker 1: As I said before, it is a different perspective. It comes from someone who is in ownership meetings, who's seen books before, who's seen how these teams work operationally, where the cash goes, and apparently where it doesn't go when the teams, as he said, don't make as much money as you think, and lots of them actually lose money. But let's let's pick the simplest thing I would say to react to, because there are some complicated things. He brought up where he referenced Steve Cohen, for example, who gets these big tax breaks as an owner for the first five years. I'm not gonna sit here on this podcast and explain tax code. If you want to go back and listen a little bit closer and do some googling and see what exactly he gets from that and the benefits new owners get, feel free to go do that. I think it would be a little monotone for us to do that. But let's focus on one thing. Let's let's pick a simple number. David said, the easy number to look at when it comes to baseball teams and if they're profitable or not is the comparison of revenue and payroll. That player payroll should be fifty percent of your operating revenue. If it is more than that you're losing money. If it's less than that, you're making a profit. Now, that stuck out to me because there has been this chart floating around about twenty twenty three revenue and twenty twenty and then twenty twenty four payroll. We'll use that example on Twitter from all the teams in baseball, and I don't know, I will just clarify Lyle, I don't know how accurate all of these revenue numbers are, if they're accurate to the number, if there's a margin of error or whatever, because these teams aren't very transparent with these numbers. But these are the numbers. It is these numbers that we have.
Speaker 2: It's what we have access to, right right, So.
Speaker 1: There's some numbers out here of these teams where we can take a look and use the information David gave us to to contextualize this. What do you now contextualize from this?
Speaker 2: So when you crunch those numbers from the graph based on the Mariner's earnings and how much should be spent on payroll. If it's fifty percent, like David said, wow, that means the Mariner's payroll should be one hundred and ninety million dollars I have that right correct, Yes, I say, yes, it's TJ's coughing and turned his mic off.
Speaker 1: So what a shot anyway, let me yes, he's about one hundred and ninety million dollars because it says.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me let me keep going here. Just to put that into perspective, if the Mariners were going to own up to that and actually do that, what could they do with that this often Well, they could sign one Soto, but you know what, we'll put that one to the side. Even that one aside. They could go sign William Thomas, they could go sign Christian Walker, and they could go trade for Devin Williams and be within the budget.
Speaker 1: And you could trade for Nika Horner. Two.
Speaker 2: Great, that sounds like an awesome offseason. And they're not going to do that because oh no, we only have fifty million dollars. About always fifty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Then, So what this chart does if we want to look at it a little bit closer to contextualize what you're saying. So you said it should be about one hundred and ninety maybe a little bit higher for what the Mariner should be based off of that number, David gave us because this list tells us and it ranks teams in terms of percentage of revenue spent. The lowest team is the Raise. The top team is the Mets. That should surprise absolutely nobody. It says the Mariners here generated three hundred and ninety six million dollars of revenue in twenty twenty three, and their payroll of for twenty twenty four, they say one hundred and sixty million dollars, and that equates to about forty percent or twenty third in baseball in terms of percent percentage spent, meaning they have about ten percent to work with before they start actually losing money. So if that number is true, lyle they have like a ten percent profit margin.
Speaker 2: Also, it still rains true that even if you get close to that fifty percent mark, the better product you put on the field, more money you'll make, and then the numbers go up, you make more money.
Speaker 1: Crazy pretty sad to look at, and I will so if we're looking at this. So according to David, twelve teams lose money. Rockies, Braves, Cardinals, Giants, Phillies, Astros, Rangers, Dodgers, Padres, Diamondbacks, Blue Jays, Mets. God, I'm looking at the Mets. They're such an outlier. Eighty seven percent is what they are payroll the revenue. So this chart isn't too hard to find if you go look just look up revenue and percentage and take a look at it for yourself, and think about what David said when it comes to those teams and which teams are willing to take risks when it comes to losing money versus which teams are not. The Mariners and not shocking fashion, are not willing to take a risk losing money.
Speaker 2: It's how they've operated for years and years and years. However, they could operate with the goal and you know goal in blueprint of not losing money but still spend a lot more. I like. So having David on right, it's very clear that his thinking well well thought out, sound, there's real perspective to it, and he has he has been in those walls more than just about anybody listening to this podcast, certainly more than us. But it's very clear that that thinking is very much along the lines of how Mariner's ownership probably thinks. This is probably how a lot of the dialogue goes in their meetings. Similar to what David said to us. Looking at the teams that lose money. It correlates with the teams that spend the most money, at least according to David. Not wanting to get up against the budget, not wanting to take risks a lot of this, and what David said does lines up with the Mariners. So we like, obviously we don't agree with what the Mariners are doing. I don't. I haven't heard one person, period being saying I love what this ownership group's done. I have not heard a single person say that. But if you want perspective from how they think, I think David gave us a decent example and a decent simulation and replica of what that looks like.
Speaker 1: So we're just gonna have to see. And I'll say my last thing on this is that what David is saying in terms of fifty percent, and he used other leagues as examples of this for being true. In other cbas that have straight rev shares and have salary caps and all this, the split is fifty to fifty between players and owners because that's a profitability point for a lot of these franchises fifty percent. And Major League Baseball has a different structure with not having a salary cap and not having a salary floor, so there's a little bit more of a fluctuation with this. But even if the owners really are losing money, I'm just gonna note this, fans don't care because they want to win and they want to see the team and the community brought together with a good product on the field, whether or not the people who are one percent or of one percent lose some money on their business.
Speaker 2: But then time is a flat circle because fans don't care about owners and billionaires losing money, but the owners don't care about the fans getting mad, So time's a flat circle. Fans want the owners to care and don't care if they lose money. Owners don't care if the fans are unhappy. They just want people in the ballpark and buying their product.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What a dynamic, dog, What a dynamic I'm glad we had David on though, because it is as different a perspective as we've had on this topic as the almost two years of this podcast that we've done. Very very It was good to have it on.
Speaker 2: Extremely interesting. I'm going to guess a lot of you got to learn more than you ever knew about ownerships and how they operate before listening to this or after listening to this interview, because I know that we did again were there. I said it before the start of the interview. There were things that did not click in my head that David helped us contextualize and say, oh, okay, we might not agree with this, but this is why sometimes they do what they do. Now, I'm sure there's very smart people out there that have the exact opposite opinion about this. We'll have to try to get some of those people on in the future too, if we can find them. But yeah, extremely interesting. If stuff comes up again about the Mariners and their ownership, which sure it will, I'd be fascinated to have David back on again because most of the questions we had he answered, and he had well thought out reasoning behind it all, even if you don't agree. So I'm hoping he can be kind of a springboard for us moving forward in terms of if we have more questions. Oh, by the way, last quick thing he mentioned the Robinson Cano contract being a bad contract. We were up against the clock with David a little bit because he's a busy guy, only had X amount of time, so I didn't get the chance to say, well, we thought that was a good contract. We did not think that was a bad contract in any way. But I guess that goes back to what we've been talking about, where our perspective is going to be different than his.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I mean the question it just is based on all the winning that you had in the increased the increased attendance you got from Robinson can oh, why was that a bad contract?
Speaker 2: Right? Exactly? Again, we didn't quite have the chance to ask him that because he had been nice enough to already give us a nice chunk of his time, and again he's a busy guy. But maybe next time that'll be something we have to circle back to. All Right, that'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. You want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods to make sure it down load, make sure rate and review, leave a five star review. You're really helping us out if you do. If you're a watch on YouTube, like comment and please hit that that subscribe button. It really helps support the channel. If you're on social media, which I know most of you are, go follow us over there on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube shorts, blue sky at Marine Layer Pie. That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.