Speaker 1: You found Fantasy Football Weekly Micro a deep dive on one player in just five to ten minutes. Now here's your host, Paul Chargian.
Speaker 2: It's Fantasy Football Weekly Micro edition. I am Paul Charchie and we a co host as usual for these Tyler Cannably Yes at PPR Tyler oh on Twitter. I am at Paul Charchion on Twitter. Uh, we're gonna dive into Antonio Gibson coming off a down season, is eightyp's down. Everybody sour on him. But we've got an angle.
Speaker 1: A great angle.
Speaker 2: Pretty it sounds pretty convincing. We'll got an angle for Antonio Gibson to be a fantasy producer for your team. We'll get to that in just a second. First, guillotine leaks. Just a couple of words. I already know you know about guillotine leaks. Listen to Fantasy Football Weekly. You know there's eighteen teams that start the season. There's no head to head. Instead, every week the low scoring team gets chopped. All their players go to the waiver wire, where it's complete pandemonium. While a whole team's roster hits the waiver wire. All you have to do is not finish last it's a totally new way of building your roster. It's a totally new way of drafting your roster. It's all new strategy. If you've put in playing fantasy the traditional way for your whole life, here's a new way to exercise your brain. Guillotine Leagues dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go check out. Gaoting leagues was definitely my one of my favorite formats to play. I've been playing for two years and it's it's just it got better each year. I had more fun, fun with friends, more people that play it. So it's great to play when you have friends like it's it's good for like I feel like casual kind of players, like it's it's good for anyone, but like especially like casual type players, because it just blows their minds because they only know one way of fantasy football, and that's just standard redraft and just basic waiver wire rules and all that, and it's just a it's a nice change of pace if you've never try so.
Speaker 2: A lot of leagues will take their regular league and then they'll say, we're gonna do a shadow league of Guillotine League. Same people. We're just gonna do all the same people in a Guillotine League.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And now you've got two leagues running side by side, and it'll never be the same champion in both almost almost never anyway. And we do support your private league. So if you've got like, you know, standard twelve team league with your buddies, you can go run a twelve team guillotine league as well. All right, let's talk Antonio Gibson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the RB twenty eight in average points per game and just season long totals last season. Currently going off the board, it's RB thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so down people are expecting a worst season this year, and undoubtedly part of it has to do with the run game that just didn't come together at all last season for Antonio Gibson.
Speaker 1: I think why people thought he was going to be a good runner kind of coming out of college and seeing him after that first year he did a ninety ninth percentile speed score at coming out of college, he have ran a four to three nine forty at two hundred and eight pounds, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: That is, to carry two and twenty eight pounds to running four to three nine is sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's why people liked him because he was a receiver coming out of college, and they saw this big frame, they saw this speed. It was every kind of checked, all those those check mark boxes that you want checked. Yeah, And the problem was is he's not a great runner. That's there's the now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So let me give you some stats to back that up. Antonio Gibson was Pro Football Focuses forty eighth ranked runner. You'll note there's thirty two NFL teams, so that's not good. He was running back ninety nine in yards after contact. That's you can't do that as a running back in the league. You wouldn't have to be able to get out of contact. Next Gen Stats ranked, Antonio Gibson is the seventh worst rushing over expectation running back. In fact, he was under expectation negative point one five yards and everybody else. The other six players that were worse than him, every one of them free agents, are backups. He was running back fifty five in elusiveness, something he had been better at earlier in his career. Tonio Gibson's it has not come together as a runner. But we've got an angle.
Speaker 1: First, is he's a great receiving back. And Eric b Enemy obviously the offense coordinator coming over from the Chiefs, I think is going to kind of use him in a way that we haven't seen him be used yet in his career. So, first off, last season, he was number twelve in targets, fifty eight among running backs yep, number thirteen in receptions he had forty six, and he was also number thirteenth in receiving yards and number nine in yards per route run.
Speaker 2: All those numbers between nine and his ranking was between nine and thirteen among running backs and these receiving stats, it doesn't sound great, but also keep in mind he was not even on the field all that much, right, I mean, Brian Robinson was a lot of first and second down. Gibson was like second and third down. So you know, there's I think there's an opportunity for him to be on the field more potentially this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think Ron Rivera had a quote a couple of weeks ago. He said, quote, I'd like to see Antonio get a few more tries where you're looking for production from him and looking to see that he does fit into the scheme of things as far as what Eric b Enemy wants to do with the offense. End quote and he was not asked about Gibson when he gave his quote. He was actually asked about Chris Rodriguez. Okay, who That's what the reporter asked him about, and he went out of his.
Speaker 2: Way diverted the conversation to think.
Speaker 1: About Gibson, which is just something that fantasy managers love to do because they'll pull any quote they can get out in May and turn it into a big thing.
Speaker 2: So the hope here is that Eric Benemy is going to convert Gibson to a true pass catching running back and use him prodigiously that way. It's like a James White and it could go down that direction, or as a more recent example in Washington, Jad McKissick, you know, we're were two or three years removed from him having a big receiving season, and maybe Antonio Gibson is a pure pass catcher, can end up being a guy that gives you like three carries for twelve yards, but four receptions a game for forty yards. And now I've cobbled my way to like, you know, nine ten, you know, fantasy points.
Speaker 1: Well, he's certainly only the pass catcher on this team. Speaking of j. D McKissick, Jamie Kisson had forty targets last season and Gibson had fifty eight, so it was about about fifty to fifty. But Jady McKissick is gone now, Yeah, so all that stuff has gone. He's free agent. Ryan Robinson. He's not a bass catcher, He's just not.
Speaker 2: We know this.
Speaker 1: Chris Rodriguez had five receptions season in college, so he's also not a pass catch, right, and then Jonathan Williams also not a pass catcher. And m if we're going to make the comparison between McKinnon and Gibson, McKinnon ranked eighth in targets among running backs last season and Washington as a team ranked ninth in target running back targets last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've seen a pre election, or at least for the former offense. Right, Eric Bannemy's going to change up a bunch of things. But we know Biennemy likes to throw to his backs. Did it up with jerck McKinnon to a lesser extent with Clyde Edwards Hilaire, although they should have thrown to him a lot more. I thought Clyde Edwards Laiir is gonna catch, you know, like forty five passes a season. I don't think he ever get close to that. So in my mind, where I'm ranking Antonio Gibson is as a pure pass catching back and if I get any running numbers, that's just a bonus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think I'm kind of ranking him as that way too. It's just is he going to be one of like the top three or top five best pass catching backs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, no that I don't think he can get there because I don't think he's gonna be on the field enough compared to Saquon Barkley and Austin Eckler, right, I mean, you know, Christian McCaffrey. Mean, those guys are on the field constantly and they get thrown to all the time. I think Tony poll could be sitting on a nice PPR season as well, But I don't know. There's a lot of unknown with this. But there's the other factor with Antonio Gibson that you just have to factor in for a second. Ryan Robinson did not look good in any aspect of the game, did not look great as a runner, and he and he doesn't catch.
Speaker 1: He was also dealing with some gunshot wounds.
Speaker 2: Probably okay, but you know, that's all right, I'll grant him that for the first two months of the season, But what's that after that? He still didn't look particularly good to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. There's just something about like the Washington like run game. I can't It just always seems like it's always so like clunky. It doesn't really seem like there's anyone like always. I don't know. It just I never who was the last great Washington pure like running back, like first and down guy Alfred Morris and then his Workie year. I honestly, is there another one? Adrian Peterson at the end of his career right a didn't like a nine yard run on Monday Night football? I think, yeah, as a Redskin. But it's just I don't understand. I don't I don't really Just Brian Robinson's gonna be like the eight other guys before him. Who it's just gonna He's gonna I don't know. He might get some nice goal line work, but that's pretty much.
Speaker 2: In a deep wide running back draft. Why didn't Washington draft or running back?
Speaker 1: Did draft Chris Rodriguez?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Who they? Who they are?
Speaker 2: Running?
Speaker 1: The apparently had a like a third round third round great on, So.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe that's the angle here is Chris Rodriguez and I don't know it, but yeah, all right, let's let's talk about some of the guys going around running back thirty six, which is where where we're said thirty six, thirty eight round? Running back thirty eight, where Antonio Gibson's going?
Speaker 1: All right, Samaji p Ryan currently the RB thirty four.
Speaker 2: I thought Pteran looked just okay last year when Joe Mixon was kind of floundering and Pteran could have grabbed that job in Cincinnati, didn't do it. He can catch a little bit. By all accounts, Davante Williams is on track to come back, maybe earlier than hoped. I think I would go p Ryan and hope that if nothing else, I've got half of a shared backfield.
Speaker 1: Dalvin Cook also on Broncos Watch as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was on Broncos Watch. The connection to George Peyton, the general now general manager of the Broncos, who was basically the assistant general manager when Dalvin Cook was drafted. Yeah, so that would be interesting landing spot.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tak Gibson over Pete Run. I think be run yet. I having a little bit more of an expanded role when when if Javonte Williams were to miss some time. But I just like Gibson season long kind of receiving profile. Especially this is to note if we're talking like half point PPR or just full point PPR. Yeah, definitely going to be Gibson. And I'm not taking him over p Ryan standard league, So everything I'm talking about is kind of in at least some sort of a PPR setting. So I'm gonna take Pete Rymet RB thirty five Brian Robinson.
Speaker 2: I just told you I thought he looked totally mundane last year. Yeah. The catch here is year two. Some running backs get a lot better in year two, and so I'm not writing off Brian Robinson. I think he'll take Brian Robinson and I'll try for touchdowns and you know, because at the goal line that he's as good an option as they've got. So I'll take Brian Robinson. He I hope he gets better.
Speaker 1: I'll go Gibson. I Gibson in this backfield more I drafted. I've been drafting Gibson over Robinson every chance I've been able to, So I'm gonna keep going with Gibson. Okay, Devin ah Chane RB thirty six.
Speaker 2: I'll take the upside that I get out of a Chane's game breaking ability and just hope that they're not going to use a frustrating rotation of runners, which they might in Miami.
Speaker 1: A Chane also sounds like kind of like a guy who's gonna catch passes this season. He can catch, and I wouldn't say most of Jeff Wilson really haven't either.
Speaker 2: He's the best receiving running back the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and a team that loves to pass the ball. Yeah, I'll go a change just because I love the speed. I'm a speed, big speed guy.
Speaker 2: How's that worked out for Antonio Gibson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm still on Antonio Gibson, just not more than a change because uh, I watched a Chane's highlights on just because everyone's talking about the size thing, but he didn't. You if you plays bigger than, it's way bigger than everyone just wants to It's it's such a kind of low hanging fruit. Oh he's small. He's not gonna be a work horse in the NFL. No, he might not be a work horse, but he can still be a very versatile weapon in a Mike McDaniel off. If he was like in like in Washington, he's a watchtep. I wouldn't touch him because he's in Miami. I like it. I like a chain.
Speaker 2: But I hear you.
Speaker 1: Let's do one more guy, all right, Rashad Penny RB thirty seven.
Speaker 2: H Well, you know the bit on Penny, right, So even if Penny stays healthy all year, they have so many alternatives at running back and I just I'm just I'm not I can't get myself to support Penny. And even if he has a good start to the season and he's healthy and every any game could be his last, and then they've got this crowded backfield. You know, you get DeAndre Swift and Kenneth Gainwell, and you know Hurston Scott and Jayleen Hurts stealing all your touchdowns from inside the five. So I'm out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was not interested in, not interested in Rashad Pibson for me.
Speaker 2: Nice job today, Thank you for listening to everybody. Fantasy Football Weekly will be back tomorrow with another micro edition and we will talk to you then nine times nine times. Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio for more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.