Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Hello. I hope you're having a beautiful week. We are on Apple Podcasts New and Noteworthy this week, and I got so many messages from all of you saying congratulations, and really, I just want to say thank you because you all have been rocking with me for years, and if anybody out there is new because of the New and Noteworthy moment, thank you for joining us. I'm so excited to have you here. Now, before we jump into today's episode, which is you guys know, I don't like you know, I don't like the word favorite, but it's truly one of my favorite conversations in three years. And before we jump into the episode, I want to remind everybody that if you write a review and you screenshot it and DM it to me or email me Danielle at beeprettysmart dot com or at Danielle Robe on Instagram, that I'll enter you in the weekly Raffle and I choose one person each week to hop on a call with a zoom, and we talk about how I can add to your life, if I can introduce you to anybody or brainstorm about your business. I try to use everything I've ever learned from all these amazing guests to pour into you. So that's just a quick reminder. Now I want to know if you all watched the Olympics this year, because whether you followed every detail or just caught the highlights, something groundbreaking happened and it had nothing to do with medals or wins or losses. The twenty twenty five Paris Olympics marked a historic first. The International the Committee announced that for the first time ever, they reached gender parity with an equal number of female and male competitors. It's huge. I had to reread the headline a few times because sure, we know that there's always been gender disparities when it comes to women in sports, but this was the Olympics. For context, Paris last hosted the Olympics in nineteen twenty four and only four percent of the athletes were women. How did a woman's identity become autonomous with sports? Studies have shown that gender disparities are reinforced by stereotypes, so it seems obvious and maybe a little bit archaic, but it's still happening all the time. Take what happened at the end of the women's for by one hundred freestyle relay. The Australian team was savoring their gold medal victory, understandably caught up in the moment, right, but instead of celebrating their achievement, an Olympic commenter said to the television audience, everybody listening and watching, you know what women are like, hanging around doing their makeup. I just want to let you know. He was let go from his position and later apologized. But this isn't just about women in sports. It's about women who love sports too, women who even like sports, the fans. There's been a historic rise in viewership in women's sports, and our guest today, Sarah Spain, she's had a front row seat to this evolution for years. He's a sports reporter, an Emmy and Peabody Award winning journalist, an espnW dot com columnist.
Speaker 2: First of all, you're not raised to believe that you should care about sports, which is how I get to my mid twenties before someone suggests I work in sports. If I had been a boy growing up and I played three sports, and I was obsessed with the bulls. People would have been talking to me about sports all the time. Adults would have been asked me about it. Then there's the idea of the product not being as good, but women should like it anyway, even though we're telling them the lack of resources investment, there's no halftime entertainment, the stadiums are crappy, but they should care about it, even though there's this other product over here that we're telling everybody is better and should it is more deserving.
Speaker 3: We don't have civic investment.
Speaker 2: So are your cities paying for women's stadiums or just the men's sports? Are your tax dollars going to support the men's teams in your city or the women's too?
Speaker 3: How about that? We never talk about that.
Speaker 1: She's right, but now we're seeing what some are calling a femenomenon. Earlier this year, Vogue put out an article titled the Rise and Rise of Women's Sports Bar. In twenty twenty two, Portland saw the opening of the sports Bra, the first sports bar dedicated solely to women's sports. The cheeky name a play on bar, obviously reflects a shift in perspective. The owner, Jenny mgwen said, the key is tiny changes make the big difference. The sports Bra made nearly a million dollars in revenue within its first eight months in just this past July California. Well, it's first all women's sports bar with lines wrapping around the block.
Speaker 2: And I also think sports at its core is kind of a middle finger to the idea of women having a lane or being only allowed.
Speaker 3: In certain spaces.
Speaker 2: I think society does its best to sort of ingrain in us an idea of what women should be, how they should behave, where they belong, what spaces they.
Speaker 3: Should be in. And once you get into.
Speaker 2: The sports world and you're already defying some of those stereotypes. You're not trying to be lady like, you're not trying to look your prettiest during a game.
Speaker 3: You're trying to win.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be nice to everybody because it's not going to get you where you need to be in sports.
Speaker 1: Looking beyond sports, where else can we see the tides change if we just shifted how we had been framing the conversation, Could that in fact be the real game changer? Sarah came up in a nearly all male environment, so she's had to ask herself this question a lot. How do you successfully push against expectations in order to be valued as your author authentic self.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about sports and be comfortable in my skin more than anything.
Speaker 3: I want to be funny. I don't want to be sexualized and do it that way.
Speaker 2: But for this business, I have fake hair, I have fake eyelashes.
Speaker 3: I have to like waste half my time.
Speaker 2: Thinking about whether my teeth are white enough and what my outfit looks like, and do I look polished enough? And I know that I miss out on jobs from not trying and caring enough about that stuff. And that's really stupid, because I have a lot to add in, a lot to say, and I'm much more thoughtful and introspective and researched and polished and prepared than so many people who just look great.
Speaker 1: This podcast was founded on this very idea. What if pretty could mean so many other things? You hear me say it in the intro pretty bold, pretty witty, pretty strong, pretty smart, pretty anything pretty insert your own adjective. Because what happens when you play the game but you play it by your own rules? Is there a price you pay or in the end do you win? Bit? Okay, Sarah, I want to start from the beginning, like the very beginning. Why were you named Sarah? Did your parents name you?
Speaker 2: I actually don't know why they named me that, but they thought I was going to be a boy and wanted me to be a boy, and so they were going to name me Brett and they were all ready and then I came out and they're like, oh, another girl.
Speaker 1: I love that they thought you were going to be a boy. Your dad must love that you love sports.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny because my parents wanted a boy. And even back when I was an infant, it was, you know, very new technology, but you could try to intend to have a certain gender. And so they had my sister and me and they were like, let's try for a boy, and it never worked out. And then my sister played women's professional tackle football for two years and is super super into sports.
Speaker 3: And then I did college sports and I work at sports.
Speaker 2: So we're like, we kind of gave you a little of both. But the funny thing is my dad's.
Speaker 3: Like not even really into sports, so it was nothing to do with sports. If anything.
Speaker 2: My mom was a two sport, college athlete before title nine and cares a bit more, but truly neither of them really care about sports.
Speaker 1: That's a cool legacy that you're carrying on from her. Yeah, so you mentioned you were a former college athlete, and your bio it says athlete hepthally.
Speaker 3: How do you pronounce heptathlete athlete?
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, during the Olympics is about the only time anyone has any idea of what it is, and.
Speaker 3: Even then they still aren't sure all the events.
Speaker 2: But it's seven events, so pentathlon indoors and heptathlon outdoors. So heptathlete is long jump, high jump, hurdles, eight hundred, two hundred, javelin, and shot put.
Speaker 1: Wow impressive, Sarah.
Speaker 3: Jack of all trades, master of none is sort of the point. You don't have to be the best at anything, You just have to be good at everything.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when journalism and sports journalism became less of a hobby and more of a career. How did you know this was going to be your thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was very late. So I was a three sport athlete in high school. I got recruited for all three, I got scholarship offers. I did Division one track, and not a single human being suggested that I might work in sports. I was obsessed with Michael Jordan and the Bulls. Every birthday, every Christmas. I asked for the books and the vhs at the time and all the stuff, and it did not occur to a single human being that I could have a job in sports because there were so few women. So I went to Cornell. I was an English major. I moved out to LA because I wanted to be on Saturday Night Live. I still do.
Speaker 3: That's my dream job.
Speaker 2: Still so putting it out in the universe and never too old to dream, as Diana Trossi would say.
Speaker 3: Old people can dream too.
Speaker 2: So I came out for comedy and actually took a hosting boot camp class to practice throwing to break and teases and introducing people to the show and interviews. And I hosted a fake Chicago Bears show in that class because the TA said, you know what, are you an expert? And everybody was into your design, everybody was trying to get on HGTV, and so she said after class, ah, so you want to work in sports? And I was like, oh, there's no women in sports, and the ones that are like supermodels on the sidelines. I want to be funny and that's not possible. And she said, well, it just seems really natural. You could look into it. So I took a class at UCLA Extension in TV sports reporting. I realized it was all the writing and extemporani speaking from my improv and my English and all the other stuff.
Speaker 3: And then I had a background. I've been in sports literally my whole life. So I decided to try it. And then once I did, I was like, oh, somebody should have recommended this a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Well, as I'm hearing you talk about playing sports almost your whole life, I think about the statistic that I'm sure you know of because it's been going around podcasts and the internet. I think over the last year, but ninety four percent of C suite women were college athletes. And that's kind of an astounding number. Ninety four percent of women in C suites. Yeah, why do you think that is? If you had to boil it down to something.
Speaker 3: I think it's at Fortune five hundred companies.
Speaker 2: Just to be more specific, it's a stat that we've been talking about for a number of years from Ernst and Young it is something that's so fascinating. When you're in the midst of doing sports and you've been doing it your whole life, you take for granted so many of the things that are an everyday part of it, and then as soon as you're removed from it, or as soon as you're around people who have never played, it becomes a lot more clear. And actually, through espnW we do something called Campus Conversations where we go around to different colleges and speak to all of their varsity female athletes and help them pinpoint and understand the skills that they're getting out of sports that they should be putting on their resumes in place of those internships that they can't do because they're competing, or jobs that they can't take because they're coaching or training. And being able to actually verbalize and put into wards what you're getting out of it helps you truly understand it. For me, it's the most obvious, which is adversity and fighting through loss and failure and going back and trying again. There are so many people that will try something, not be good at it, or not succeed and quit and that's it. And in sports, it is a constant humbling and losing and getting back up and trying again. There's also an earnestness and a humility of going out in front of people and saying, I am doing my very best and whatever happens, I have to accept. And you're watching me do that, which you don't really think about. But that's a very scary thing to go out in front of people and say I'm trying my very hardest and if I don't win, that's it.
Speaker 3: I did my best and I didn't win. I think working with people.
Speaker 1: I thought of that one.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, working with people you hate or like or have a completely different operating system from, and needing to find that goal that you all share best idea wins. This is how we're getting to the thing we want. Working with leadership that you love or don't love, being a leader amongst the people around you. I mean, it's really endless, and I don't think I was aware of.
Speaker 3: How much it shaped me.
Speaker 2: The thing that stood out to me the most being an athlete growing up was I was tall.
Speaker 3: It was already six feet by the time I was twelve.
Speaker 2: I was kind of awkward, and it was a way for me to feel very empowered by my height and my body. I also have always had big boobs, and I was attracting older men at a young age, even though I was not at all into that yet. I was such a tomboy I didn't even really know what was happening, but it made me very uncomfortable around older men. And I think if not for sports, I would have not understood how to be in control and in charge of my own body and that it was something for me to put to work and not something for others to look at.
Speaker 3: And that was super.
Speaker 2: Necessary when I was younger and insecure about stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there's just there's a.
Speaker 2: Million things, but for me, one of them is I think the confidence that you get from going out there and competing and being in charge when you walk into a c suite, when you walk into a boardroom, that just really affects how you view yourself compared to the other people there.
Speaker 3: And I also think.
Speaker 2: Sports sort of of just at its core, is kind of a middle finger to the idea of women having a lane or being only allowed.
Speaker 3: In certain spaces, and so it's very easy.
Speaker 2: So I think society does its best to sort of ingrain in us an idea of what women should be, how they should behave, where they belong, what spaces they should be in.
Speaker 3: And once you get into.
Speaker 2: The sports world and you're already defying some of those stereotypes. You're not trying to be lady like, you're not trying to look your prettiest during a game.
Speaker 3: You're trying to win.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be nice to everybody because it's not going to get you where you need to be. In sports, You've got to try your hardest. You got to want to beat her, not be best friends with her. Like all these things, even if it's subconscious, you're able to undo some of the things that we grow up with and are taught. And when you get into spaces later, whether you're doing it intentionally or not, you've already said no, thank you to those ideas of who and what you should be, and that frees you to decide what you do want and how you want to behave. And so for me, that became very intentional. At a certain point when I entered in an all male fields, I had to be aware of like, oh, hold on, here's what they're telling me about why I shouldn't be and how I should act. I don't want that, But I didn't realize that I had already been doing that for years and years, just as a result of what sports have helped me sort of unlearned from society.
Speaker 1: I feel like my head's exploding. You just unlocked so many things for me in one answer. Oh good, you are so right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: I grew up with big boobs and I felt really uncomfortable by older male attention too. That's so fascinating. Well who did you model your career after? If there weren't women in sports, who did you look to?
Speaker 3: At first? It was Kenny Maine.
Speaker 2: So for people who are not familiar with sports, Kenny Maine stood out as this very satirical, dry humor reporter. He hosted Sports Center and then he did features called The Main Event and they were almost like straight out of Saturday Night Live, that comedy sports combo that I really wanted to do.
Speaker 3: And then once I.
Speaker 2: Got into the business, I would say the two biggest kind of folks that had such an impact on me were Jamel Hill because she was an ESPN colleague. She saw me speak at a conference for ESPN and said, why are you not on TV? Like you're amazing at this, and I said, I just haven't done enough. They're not willing to take a chance on me. She said, the next time I'm out of town or on a break, you're hosting my show.
Speaker 3: She had a national show on ESPN, and I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: Sure, And like two months later, her producers call me and say, Jamal's on vacation. You're going to come in and fill in for two days live hour national show right off the bat. And I literally did it once. And the next day I had a call from Oberman and Sports Center and all these places. They just needed to see me do it. And I call her my fairy career godmother because she saw something in me, and she also wasn't worried about anybody ever taking her spot. She was like, lift as you rise, the more women I can get in, the more women I can help, and like give those opportunities to or the better. So I try to do that all time. And then Dan Labatard, who's a radio show host who's programmer I was on a million times, and not only was he a great friend and a great ear and is a really accomplished journalist and host, but he has a way of breaking down the fourth wall in sports media and being honest about how we can't know everything all the time, which is sort of what the fan expects. And so when he'd make a mistake, he would own it, or he would jokingly in the middle of an interview, ask the whole group of people on the show, does anyone know who coaches the Memphis Grizzlies? Literally, can anyone in here right now name the coach of the Memphis And it would just sort of disarm people, because, especially as a woman in the business, if you make a mistake, not only do people think you don't belong, but now you've crossed out the whole gender, like you're the reason that no woman should ever work in sports because you misspoke once. And so for him to show me how you can do that, it helped me learn that if I make a mistake, don't get defensive, don't freak out, just be like, oh, yeah, that's what I meant, or oops, I mess that up, whatever, and keep it moving, because you can't be expected to know everything all the time.
Speaker 1: I love hearing your story about Jamel Hill. She was on Pretty Smart and was one of my favorite interviews, and I asked her this question. I actually would love to ask you this, because it makes sense that she gravitated towards you. I think you both intertwine politics, socio politics with sports in a way that not many people do. Is it because that's the lens through which you see the world, or is it because you've had to because you're a woman and so you can't disconnect those two things.
Speaker 3: I think both. I think I see the world that way because I'm a woman.
Speaker 2: So I've had those moments of seeing inequities or on fairness, and I don't want that for anybody else. I also think both my parents are lawyers, and there's this ingrained sense of like digging a little deeper. We didn't fight a lot, they didn't fight a lot, but there was always this idea of like, well, why, what's the truth behind that? It's the logic behind that, was the argument behind that, and like being an intellectual about life and like being very curious and understanding why and how and where and so there's a couple moments that I look back on now that I.
Speaker 3: Kind of laugh at.
Speaker 2: In high school, everybody had two freshman sophomore year, take Jim, but I was in three sports and band and chorus, so because of Jim, I couldn't have a lunch. And I was like, but I'm on three varsity sports, Like, I don't think I need to be in gym class and then not be able to eat lunch when I have these other things. So I looked up the Illinois state law and I found the reasons for gym class requirements, and I petitioned to get to take early bird gym as pass fail so I could only had to take X number to like a fish to get a pass so that I could get back that lunch. And then in college, the Cornell football game coaches petition so that the track female athletes would have to change out of whatever we practiced in into official T shirts and shorts to go to the weight room because they said that we were distracting the football players because we were wearing spandex. Meanwhile, I'm jumping into pits of say and stuff. There's a reason I'm dressed the way I am for my sport. I is not my responsibility for your players to focus on their weightlifting.
Speaker 3: So I wrote a giant petition.
Speaker 2: Up put it on the wall at the athletic department at Cornell and said sign this if you think it's BS that we should have to change our attire.
Speaker 3: They immediately took it back. They were like, never mind, you're right.
Speaker 2: So I'm like noticing these moments of like activism that didn't feel like it at the time. It just felt like that's BS. I'm not doing that. Let me tell you why. You have to explain to me why, and then you know. And so I think there's that, and then you know. I grew up extremely privileged, and my parents worked very hard to make us not be a holes.
Speaker 3: We grew up in a really nice neighborhood of Chicago.
Speaker 2: There was like, you know, the kids would like be driving hummers to class, and I lived by like mister T's kids and all the Bears and you know, Marshall Fields kids and whatever, and that could have turned me, I think, the other direction. But what it did was ultimately make me incredibly aware of how I'd been set up in my life to go to a good high school and have parents who could afford to send me to Cornell when I got in, and have these advantages, and so when I look around, it's really important to me to not take those for granted and to instead try to think of like, who isn't in the room that I'm in and.
Speaker 3: What would they be asking for? Demanding? How are things inequitable? How are things unfair?
Speaker 2: And so it's really just become this through line to me of caring. And also in sports, it can be so ephemeral that if I'm not thinking about the ways it intersects with meaningful life things, it doesn't feel like a good use of my life to spend it just talking about like who had the most home runs. I want it to be about something bigger than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you and Jamel are the same in that. In twenty sixteen, you co created a video that won a Peabody Award. It was called more Than Mean mea n and you and fellow female sports journalist Julie Decarro sat and listened as men sat across from you and read real life tweets that were sent to you. But it's pretty powerful. Actually, our producer started crying when she watched the video. She said, she was pretty emotional. What was the experience like for you sitting there?
Speaker 2: It was interesting because we'd gotten no direction and we weren't there at the same time, and yet Julie and I reacted the same way, which was like almost like stoicism, like just very unemotional about it, like yep mm hmm, because we had been hearing those things for literally years, Like they did not fase me, they do not face me. And sometimes I have to remind myself if something escalates to a certain point to not just mute it because I might be in danger. I've had to call the police before, so has Julie for literal threats that said I know where your office is, or this is your address and I'm gonna be there, like that kind of thing. And I think if you get so used to being harassed, you kind of you get hardened to it.
Speaker 3: And what that video taught us was not only were we both.
Speaker 2: So hardened to it that we could sit there stoically while the men were the emotional ones, but also as we started to receive the reaction to it, and we started getting calls from NPR and Access, Hollywood and all these celebrities posting it, everyone reacting, the reason it was moving people was because it was the men who were emotional. People don't really care about hearing women talk about how poorly they're treated and how unfair things are, but you see some men getting emotionally upset and moved by it, and you process it differently, and for better or for worse. I think that's a big reason why that blew up the way.
Speaker 3: That it did.
Speaker 1: It was a few years ago. Like now discussing it with me, have you had any thoughts or reflections about that experience or any new epiphanies.
Speaker 2: People often ask me if it's changed, and unfortunately no, I would say the thing that stands out to me the most is right after that, Twitter did try to change some of its policies. It was happening around the same time as some pretty high profile people spoke out about their treatment due to their either ethnicity or otherwise, and so they kind of started to try to be more proactive. But that was before Elon Musk bought it, and now it's even more of a tirifier than ever before. I think the thing that I most reflect on is how do you process why people are behaving in that way in a way that feels a little bit second level, like your initial response is your feelings are hurt or this person's awful, And instead, to me, thinking about it during that process made me more empathetic than anything else.
Speaker 3: So when someone sends me those things. Yeah, if I'm having a bad day and.
Speaker 2: Someone's like, you look really fat in that dress, I'm like, okay, thanks, I guess to do and hurts my feelings for a second, But more often than not, instead my response is it seems like you're going through a tough time, like, I hope things get better for you, because why would you spend your time sending people awful messages? Why would you waste your time? And you go to their timelines and usually that's all they're doing. It's just like sending people awful things. They can't be happy, they can't be satisfied in life if that's what they're doing, and I am, and so instead of internalizing it, I tend to, for fun, make fun of their spelling and grammar, although that's it because I don't like getting even mean or by sending mean things in response to you not adding anything to the world by being mean to them as well, And then oftentimes I will just write back, hey, I don't think it's normal to spend your time doing this, So I think you're probably you know something's going on, and I hope it gets better for you. That feels better to me than being mad or letting them have any space in my head for free.
Speaker 1: When I'm out in the world, I like asking people the most challenging part of their job or their workday, because I think we all move around like not actually knowing what the other person does. I kind of know as a broadcaster, like what the challenges are in your work. What I don't know is the sacrifices that you've had to make that a male sports reporter wouldn't have to make, or experiences they would never have to have. If I can say it like this, like what price have you had to pay that a male reporter wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, for one, lots of sexual harassment, like just straight up, I'm going to kiss you. Here's the kind of sex that we would have. How do you manicure down below? Definitely losing out on jobs because I didn't reciprocate advances, awful comments about my body, uncomfortable, not like actual sexual touching, but like unnecessary touching that you wouldn't be doing with a male colleague at a party or an event.
Speaker 3: I mean that's ubiquitous. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I try very hard not to have my opinion of men as a whole change as a result of my job. But I have to be honest and saying that I had a much more naive idea of things before getting enough recognition that my mentions and messages are full of strangers and people I don't know, and getting the kind of disgusting stuff that I get has affected how I feel about men, and I don't want it to, but it does make me think in my mind, what are they thinking in a way that I never did before. Like I have posted photos wearing a T shirt with a bunch of little girls at an event, and I'll get disgusting remark about my body even looking and I'm like, it just made me recognize that there's nothing I can do to change what somebody else thinks when they look at me, and that lack of control is deeply upsetting. And that might sound super naive, but I don't like that. I don't like that I don't get to decide what I'm projecting out. Ever you're always going to get from me. And I don't know if it's the boobs, because I'm not that much of a looker. I think it's just big boobs like make men weird. But I don't like that feeling. I don't like like when I started in the business, the amount of awful treatment I got because people assumed I didn't know.
Speaker 3: What I was talking about.
Speaker 2: I wasn't smart, I wasn't hard working, I wasn't there for the right reasons, just because I was a woman and I looked the way I do. I got rejected out of clubhouses, I got passed on from an editor that said, you can't go do this. At first, I got rejected to go report on something at the Bulls because the PR person said, we've heard how she dresses, and I didn't dress in any specific way. I just have this body that I live that people react to a certain way, and it was preventing me from doing the job that I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: And what sucked is that it got in the way of me getting where I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: And then when I got there, all the same people were like, Oh, I saw you on Sports Center, that was amazing, or I saw your whatever, I saw you on an Emmy, and I'm like, that's who I always was. You didn't think I was because you assumed that I was some dumb bimbo, because that's what you see women as so like all of that, all of that like not believing in me before you even know anything about me, based soul in the fact that I'm a woman. And then I think the other main thing is like Jamel and I bond about this, like will we go.
Speaker 3: To something like the Emmys.
Speaker 2: We'll wear the dress and the shoes and the whatever, and then we go to the after party and chill changed into a T shirt.
Speaker 3: I'll put on flip flops.
Speaker 2: I almost like didn't get into Lebron's after party because they have a no flip flop rule at this like Hollywood Club, And I was like, come on, my feet are so like we don't want to be dolled up.
Speaker 3: It's nice and fun sometimes, but I'm an athlete.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about sports and be comfortable in my skin more than anything.
Speaker 3: I want to be funny.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be sexualized and viewed that way. But for this business, I have fake hair, I have fake eyelashes. I have to like waste half my time thinking about whether my teeth are white enough, and what my outfit looks like and do I look polished enough? And I know that I miss out on jobs from not trying and caring enough about that stuff. And that's really stupid, because I have a lot to add in, a lot to say, and I'm much more thoughtful and introspective and researched and polished and prepared than so many people who just look great.
Speaker 1: And that's not how it works for men, and that sucks and rant over No, I like how you put it. I don't think it's a rant. I think women often feel those things and don't, at least I sometimes don't have the words for it. This sounds so silly, but the other day I saw a Harvard student in an a cappella group and she was so effusive and talented and incredible on stage, and I reposted it because I was just so moved by this young woman, and I started welling up, and I thought, Okay, it's not the Whitney Houston song, Like why am I crying?
Speaker 3: It might be the Whitney Houston song. I cry at most Minnie Houston songs.
Speaker 1: It might have been the Whitney Houston song. But it was like a positive, upbeat song. Anyways, I was thinking about who I was when I was nineteen or twenty years old, and how much sexual harassment and bullshit I have dealt with in the last thirteen years since then, and I'm gonna keep it moving. Type of person. I don't look back. I just look forward. And that moment brought me back for a second, and I was like, Oh, there has been so much and every woman feels that way in their industry, regardless of what it is.
Speaker 3: Why do you believe those singer made you think that?
Speaker 2: Did she seem just particularly free in her body or joyful or unlike she was not being watched?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thanks for asking. Yeah, she was totally joyful and unburdened. It was like the world had not hit her yet. Yeah, Like there was no man block when.
Speaker 2: I see people who see so embodied that what they're doing is for them only, and if people see it, that's fine, but that's not I cannot do that, and I have never been able to. I try so hard, but I am so burdened by especially at my age. I'm in my early forties, living through the era of like the US magazine and in Touch magazines where like the skinniest person was on the cover of like She's fat, and how that affected my view of myself so that I'm constantly aware of, like can someone see my stomach?
Speaker 3: Or what do I look like from this angle?
Speaker 2: Or and I just I'm so envious of people who just get to, like, in whatever shape and size, be free and look so like unencumbered by all that. And it's a lot more people in the next generation, it feels like, which makes me happy for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like women in our generation maybe did something right to pass down different hopefully. Yeah. I think we had just had it to be honest, and we're like, we're not doing this anymore.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You said something that I had never heard of. You've described yourself as mental health privileged, which I've heard you credit for your stamina in this tough industry. What does mental health privileged mean?
Speaker 2: I have to credit we can do hard things with Abby Wambach and Glennon Doyle and her sister Amanda. I listened to every episode and I'm obsessed with them. But I love Abby and I always have from sports and I loved Untamed and it was helping me read that helped me kind of start to think more about being intentional, about seeing what society is like put inside me that I don't agree with that I've internalized and not fixed.
Speaker 3: And so I.
Speaker 2: Started listening to their podcast because of that, and then occasionally there'd be an episode that I would start and be like, Oh, I'm not gonna care about this one, or this guest is talking about something I'm not into, and without fail, by the end, I would learn so much about how other people operate, and I kind of call it operating systems now that like, it's okay if someone has a different operating system than you, how do you figure out.
Speaker 3: To work together? Or what can you learn from the way they do things?
Speaker 2: And I think, for a really long time, I'm because I'm a high achieving person and because I'm that sort of jack of all trades, like I'm pretty good at a lot of things, so things come kind of easily and naturally. I gave myself a lot of credit, like, Oh, that's because I keep making the right choices and I keep doing the right things, and I keep having a good attitude and I keep being grateful. And I didn't really recognize how much of that was a frickin blessing that I had nothing to do with. I just got the benefit of not having anxiety, not having depression, having the world's greatest parents, like the fact that if I went to therapy and they'd ask about my parents, I would have nothing to complain about. I think might be like the rarest thing in the universe. Right, Everyone's got something that their parents did to them, and I'm like, no, they're the best. So I think listening to that podcast and hearing how so many people have battled through things either done to them or traumas, or we're just handed a brain that works differently, it not only made me more empathetic and want to be a kinder, nicer person in the room around people who I'm different operating systems, but also to recognize that what they bring into a room might be very very valuable and expressed differently than what I do, and that I need to figure out how to get it out of them if they're not going to show up with as much ease and confidence as I do, because that's very valuable too, and those people have something to add and they need to be heard from somehow. If the people like me or the ones always raising their hand like I got another thing to say and oh, let me add something else, and understanding that that was a privilege and not patting myself on the back for it has made me so much more understanding of other people, and it's also made me a million times happier.
Speaker 3: And I tell people this a lot.
Speaker 2: The story that you get to tell about what's going on around you doesn't just affect like the other person, but you two. If someone cuts me off and they're speeding and driving like a maniac.
Speaker 3: I can either be like, what an a hole? Oh my god? Oh?
Speaker 2: Or I could be like, man, I hope they get where they're going. I've probably been there before, you know, must be serious. Then I'm not mad at them. My day continues on. If someone's really rude in a store, man, I really hope whatever happened to them before they got to the store is okay. Maybe somebody died, maybe someone's sick, maybe they got fired, maybe they can't pay their bills. I'm sorry that that manifested to that store clerk that way, but I hope.
Speaker 3: Things get better.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep it moving, and you can tell yourself stories about people all day that will make not only you happier and kinder and more empathetic to them, but just like you're gonna move forward with different energy than if you let everyone piss you off because you think they're being a jerk for no reason, it's probably a good reason, even if it's twenty five years ago that they turned out like that. And I'm just grateful that I'm not saddled with that. And also for this industry, I'm a relatively decent looking, straight white woman with no disabilities, no mental health issues, none of the other stuff, So I can take it. You throw whatever you want at me. Every once in a while, have my feelings hurt, but most of the time I'm gonna keep it straight and power right through it. So I feel the responsibility is on me to help speak up for and carry the load for people who do have those other things that they're saddled with, because they're trying to show up to those same fights and it's a lot harder for them. So like, if I just take my privilege and enjoy it and I don't use it, that's not cool in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have a new daily podcast called Good Game. It's a one stop shop for all things women's sports. I totally understand why you are hosting it. First of all, the daily show is not easy and also I'm so curious how it got named. What does Good Game mean to you?
Speaker 3: So the name I initially wanted was The Good Place.
Speaker 2: It's obviously a show that exists that I love, and I actually know Mike Sure who created it, So you know, I could have reached out and asked for the ability to use it, but it wouldn't have been great for searching. You would have constantly come up with the TV show instead of Hours. But the reason I wanted to name it the Good Place is because that's genuinely how I feel about going to women's sporting events and major like All Star Weekend and things like that.
Speaker 3: It's the Good Place.
Speaker 2: It's all the stuff that you love about sports, minus the toxic masculinity and the fights. Really, Angel City Soccer game, not only are you this beautiful soccer stadium and everyone's like competitive and they want their team to win, but they're also like nice and supportive and kind. But afterwards they turn one of the tiers into a bar for after game, and everyone at the game goes and like drinks and hangs out together. So all the people in the stadium that you're like, I think I want to hang out with these people. You do and you can. And they're white, black, young, old, queer, straight kids, whatever. It's everybody, and it's just a vibe. You can't really describe it. You have to go to see what it's like. And then like the WNBA All Star Weekend was here in Chicago, and I was going to these parties and they're in the same spaces that I go to for other events, and they're ostensibly the same. There's a big sponsor, there's an open bar, there's free food being passed, everyone's dressed up fancy. But to go to one of those, compared to going to a super Bowl party or an NBA All Star party, the vibe is completely different.
Speaker 1: And that's find it's so much more welcoming.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I'm always like there's probably a couple of a holes that's stuck in here that are like someone's agent and they're like mah. But for the most part, I probably would want to hang out with like all the people in here, and so I want to enable the good place. And then we were kind of riffing off of that when we moved away, and I thought about at the end of a game, when you say good game, good game, good game, and how that vibe also feels like it's imbued in women's sports, like I don't I kind of it's not as simplistic as like I hope everyone has fun, but there are way fewer players I root against or teams I hate. It's like I kind of love everyone in the space and want them all to thrive.
Speaker 3: And then also it leaves.
Speaker 2: Room for if you're an athlete, you know there's always at the end of the game, good game, good game, FU good game. There's like one person on the other team that you don't want to wish a good game too, because you've been scraping the whole time and you hate them.
Speaker 3: So it leaves room for.
Speaker 2: Us to call out the occasional person who does this wrong in that section too.
Speaker 1: I love that I am. I started covering women's sports i'd say like five years ago with AT and T and Direct TV, and I would get to these arenas or these parties and every everyone was so nice. And I came from the world of entertainment and I thought they were being I was like, there's no way these people are this nice, Like I'm the new girl. Everyone's being cool, And I realized that most of these people, whether they were players or reporters or influencers or fans, had played women's sports, played team sports. And when you had played a team sport, you didn't look at me as the new girl, as your competition the way people in entertainment did. They looked at me as like, oh, you're part of the team, Come sit down. It was I thought to myself at that moment, I hope I have kids one day and they are for sure going to be in sports.
Speaker 3: Yes, what a difference, Yes, that's totally it.
Speaker 2: And also, like female athletes have to do everything in addition to being great athletes, because you are not being enabled and impoldened your whole life by a posse of people that are like trying to make millions off you, and you aren't guaranteed a professional contract and all the other things. So you have to be the greatest in your sport at what you do and go to school, get your degree, help sell tickets, be a good marketer, be friendly to sign autographs. Like they just are these wonderful, well rounded people, and so you could be standing next to and I find that even with like I now, I am friends with a lot of people who are like presidents of WNBA teams, and sometimes I'll be sitting having drinks with them and I'll be like, I keep forgetting how powerful you are, because when I meet presidents of men's teams, they feel so stiff and I'm in charge and I, oh, somebody get me something and do that. And with the women, it's just like these badass, hard working got where they want to lift everyone along with them.
Speaker 3: I can sit and have a beer with me vibe.
Speaker 2: It's just it's really joyful, and I'm glad so many people are discovering it because people have been missing out.
Speaker 1: Well. Some people are attributing the growth to rising stars like Kitlin Clark or Coco Goff. I read a Nielsen report that suggests it's due to like growing investments by brands and sponsors and media. What do you think it is?
Speaker 3: It's those for sure.
Speaker 2: For a long time, people would not put much investment in and the value of both the product and the experience of going was so less than the Men's that you were telling your fans sort of subconsciously, this isn't really worth much. And people don't know why they turned something off or switched to something or buy a ticket. All the time, we like to when we're doing marketing or campaigns, pretend like they're thinking about every moment, but sometimes they're just watching something and they lose interest, or they go to something and then they don't go again. A lot of that is what was that experience, like, how did it compare to other options you have? And for a long time, there was so little investment in women's that it just wasn't the same.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the product was bad like the athletes.
Speaker 2: It was that everything else around it signaled to the user that it wasn't worth much. So that's huge to me. The biggest thing. The biggest thing has been societal shifts toward people's ability to be themselves authentically and honestly. And there used to be tremendous homophobia and misogyny around women's sports.
Speaker 3: It was presentation. It was either we.
Speaker 2: Were sexualizing them all the time or we were infantilizing them. It was your little girl all grown up. So they either had to be the perfect role model and never do anything wrong, or we had to make them really, really sexualized. And that didn't always work for players who were more masculine presenting or outwardly gay. It didn't always work for sports where you tend to be bigger, stronger, or predominantly people of color. In those sports, they weren't palatable for society's expectations of women. That's why we supported things like tennis or soccer. Oh it's a bunch of white girls next door.
Speaker 1: Oh we love them, I mean right with their ponytails swinging exactly.
Speaker 2: But women's basketball, Oh, they're black, and they're gay, and they're big and all these things, all these isms that intersect with women's sports that even if you wanted to ignore them, you couldn't possibly, because just being alive is a political statement as a woman.
Speaker 3: Now, if you.
Speaker 2: Think about bodily autonomy in equal rights and equal pay and everything else, then add on to that a layer of being a black woman. Then add on to that a layer of being an LGBTQIA plus woman. Your life and everything you do is intersected by all these things. So what happened is over the last even like fifteen years, people can be gay, people can be masculine presenting, people can be very feminine.
Speaker 3: Female athletes can be a villain or a hero, or.
Speaker 2: Funny or smart, and social media allowed us to see that in them and when they were authentically and transparently themselves presenting themselves as opposed to just the snapshots we would see from advertisers, we liked them more and we wanted them to be whoever they were honestly, and.
Speaker 3: We were drawn to them. That's the other thing.
Speaker 2: All the gatekeepers, radio, radio program directors, newspaper editors, TV program directors were the ones deciding at every turn what the thirty minute sports at the end of the news was or the sports center highlights were. And they got to decide every time what do people want, and every time, predominantly middle aged white men said, people want men's sports. And then the Internet opened up and the gatekeepers can't prevent individual creators from creating content around things that they're passionate about. Thousands of people flock to those things and say, we want more of this, we want more women's sports, we want more basketball, we want more soccer, we want more or whatever, and those gatekeepers now have to reflect on how they're making their decisions, and they're starting to create space for people at Caitlin Clark for sports that aren't as well known. So you add all of that together and it's like we've been building a bonfire for decades with sticks and then Kitlin Clark's just a match, so she's amazing, But that match doesn't start a fire unless you have this incredible thing that's already been built and all those little pieces come together. But for me, the one that's the least talked about is how much the well of the product being poisoned happened before you ever watched it, because people would say, two manly women shouldn't play sports. They need to look prettier, their skirts should be shorter, all those things. Before you even got a chance to like it, you are already being told it wasn't what you should want. And now that's not the case anymore. And that just lets people watch it and be like, hey, this is awesome. I like this, this is very cool.
Speaker 1: Wow. We have started to reframe the identity of a female athlete by just taking the frame away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've just allowed everybody, not just females and not just athletes. You can be non binary, you can be masculine, feminine like that in general in society. Just lets us see who people are truly, and that's much more endearing, that's much more like lovable and interesting.
Speaker 1: There was this comedian. I want to say it's Bilbura, but I'm not sure who made a joke about how as a society we keep telling men to watch women's sports when women are watching Real Housewives. And he's like, tell women to watch women's sports. And the joke always pissed me off, but there was like a kernel of truth to it that also pissed me off. It was like, yeah, we need to be watching women's sports, but as a whole, we're not as collectively interested. And now that I'm hearing you share this perspective, I'm like, oh, yeah, we weren't collectively interested because we were told not to be.
Speaker 3: First of all, you're not raised to believe that you should care.
Speaker 2: About sports, which is how I get to my mid twenties before someone suggests I work in sports, despite being like the poster child for someone who should have been doing it all along. We're told not to care about it. We're not fostered in our interest in it. Right, If I had been a boy growing up and I played three sports and I was obsessed with the Bulls, people would have been talking to me about sports all the time. Adults would have been asked me about it. No then there's the idea of the product not being as good, but women should like it anyway, even though we're telling them via the lack of resources investment. There's no halftime entertainment, the stadiums are crappy, but they should care about it, even though there's this other product over here that we're telling everybody is better and should it is more deserving. We don't have civic investment. So are your cities paying for women's stay us just the men's sports? Are your tax dollars going to support the men's teams in your city or the women's too?
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 2: We never talk about that. There's intentionality behind it. For seventy years, British women were banned from playing professional soccer. And now that the numbers are going in thousands and ninety thousand, people are going to the stadiums and you're like, oh, they're just figuring it out. No, you, for seventy years you were intentional about not letting them play. And when you do that, that doesn't just affect the women playing, but the women watching and viewing and understanding where they belong and what they should be interested in. There's a million like that. Bilt b don't get me started on that. But the kernel of truth is that there is still a slightly higher percentage of men watching women's sports than women watching women's sports, although that demographic is very vastly changing. Yeah, but that's because men from birth are handed a ball and told this is what you do, and women are told that's not lady like, that's not for you. We don't have the resources for that. Oh sorry, we don't have a field, so only the boys are going to play. Like. Yeah, to ignore all the context that gets us to now is to be intentionally up to. So it's the same reasoning that got us to the product isn't good enough. That's why no one watches even though we had no access to watch the games. There was no coverage, The media didn't tell us about it, and yet somehow we're supposed to know and care about.
Speaker 3: Something we can't even see.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I was a really good swimmer and I was told one, don't pursue it, and then also definitely don't play water polo because your body won't look the way you want it to, and it's just yep, yeah, the world is changing, Thank god, Sarah, are you willing to talk about trans athletes and sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I'm really curious about your opinion on this, especially in the wake of the Olympics and the whole false conversation about the boxer that the female boxer being born male in Algeria. I interviewed doctor Stacy Simms, who's an environmental exercise physiologist, about a year and a half ago, and I asked her about her thoughts on trans athletes and she said, we have to ask ourselves what do sports mean? What do they mean to us? Which I thought was interesting, But as the world progresses, I find myself feeling more complicated about the topic. How do you think about it?
Speaker 2: I actually just had a guest on my podcast, Rose Evelyth that has an amazing NPR podcast called Tested from the CBC and NPR about DSD athletes, primarily in track and field. So DSD athletes are differences in sex developments also used to sort of be called intersex, but those are now different things. And the boxers and the Olympics this year, the two boxers, what is being alleged that they might have differences in sex developments, not that they're trans, but that they might develop differently chromosomally and anyway, long story short, the IOC assured us that they were allowed to compete and done everything that they needed to compete, and that's all you can do, right. Whatever the rules are is what you have to follow. But people not understanding the differences between things like that and trans is part of the problem because the hysteria around trans participation stems so much from ignorance, and so for me at the youth level, it is a absolute no brainer. The only goal is inclusion. The only goal is inclusion. When you get into higher levels of like I say, Olympic competition, the science is still trying to catch up on the advantages of testosterone and on the advantages of pre pubescent versus post pubescent development for males and females.
Speaker 3: So I am constantly going to rely on science telling me quote unquote what's fair, while also balancing that with who and what are we protecting.
Speaker 2: If you look at those boxers, the people will argue that they're protecting women's sports, But those are two women that you did not protect and that you did not care for. And particularly as we're learning more and more about sex not being binary and in fact it not being as simple as X, Y and xx, but they're being a spectrum, and that if you were to test an average bunch of people, many of them would discover completely unbeknownst to them, that they have chromosomal differences, that they are DSD, that they are potentially intersex. There are stories of a man in his seventies who had three kids and went in for hernia surgery and he had a womb. There was a woman who was having her third child went in to get the baby tested and they found that she had probably had a twins embryo that joined when she was born, and so she had both male and female chromosomes. She'd been woman her whole life and had kids and everything else. It's much more common than people realize. And so when we try to take a binary of male and female and apply it to human beings who are not in fact binary, we get a little bit stuck, and they're inter secting topics, but they're not the same. So what we ultimately have to decide is, to the point of the person that you had on before, what does our goal with sports and at the youth levels, at the high school level, to me, it's participation, inclusion, teamwork, lessons, all the things that I told you off the top of the pod that I learned as.
Speaker 3: A result of being an athlete.
Speaker 2: And then when you get into professional and Olympic that's where I think there need to be set rules. You decide on them and then you stick with them. One of my good friends is Chris Mojori's a transman. He's an incredible triathlete. He doesn't get any shit because he's a transman, and nobody believes that someone assign a female at birth could compete as a transman. But he does all the time, and no one cares because it's not really about trans participation. It's about misogyny and the idea that there's a cap on women's achievement. When men do something great, we just expand the record books and we call them freaks of nature and we laud them for the men any ways that they are super different than us in ways that are heralded and praised. And when women get too good at things, we call them men. When they get too fast, it's a man. When they get too strong, it's a man. When they get too good, it's a man, and they're not. It's just the way that we consistently try to cap women's accomplishments.
Speaker 3: And so that's those are the questions.
Speaker 2: And I don't think I've heard the perfect answer, but for me, starting by airing on the side of care and inclusion and following real science is the best way to try to approach it, as we know continue to evolve, and also for people to stick with the facts and.
Speaker 3: Remember that they're human beings.
Speaker 2: There was a law passed in a state that had one transgender girl and they passed an entire law in the state to keep her from being on the bench of a softball team that she didn't even get into games for. And that's a little girl whose life is forever changed. So that you could prove a point about protecting women, who did you protect their absolutely no one except for to hurt that girl and to tell and send.
Speaker 3: A message to people that they're not included.
Speaker 1: What life lesson has sports taught you? I'm like all of them, I'll tell you mine. I always think about this quote that what lies within determines what lies ahead, and sports taught me that that, like everything I need is inside of me. And it's like it's a mental game. It's mental toughness. Did you have anything that a coach would say to you?
Speaker 2: I think for me, I guess without realizing it until this very moment, my feeling.
Speaker 3: Of gratitude toward life is very natural.
Speaker 2: I have always been someone who looks around I'm like, oh my god, we get dogs and sunsets and music and mountains and you know what I mean, Like, I'm that corny person. I didn't drink till I was like a junior in college because I was like, why would we need to drink?
Speaker 3: Everything is amazing. We get all the things.
Speaker 2: And I think that that is related to sports in the sense of if you do your best and you put in the work and you try your hardest and you don't get what you want, that's all you can do. That's all you can do is try your hardest, work your hardest, do your best, and what's meant for you will happen. I don't say that in a religious sense. I don't even necessarily say it in a mystical sense. I don't know what's meant for me, what that means, or who's deciding that. But it's a way of life for me where if there's a job I want and I don't get it. I am not sitting around crying about it. If there's a meat I had that I wanted to win and I didn't, I was sad and then I kept it moving. And so for me, sports is a constant humbling and then uplifting and then humbling.
Speaker 3: You win and you're the best, and then you lose and then you're not.
Speaker 2: And that hard work that you put in is usually what you see come out on the other side, and sometimes it's not going to be enough.
Speaker 3: And that's life.
Speaker 2: Like the idea that the world is out to get you because you did your best and still didn't get what you want, where does that get you? Or the idea that if you work your hardest you'll always win, that's not real life. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. So for me, it's just sort of like leave it all out there, Like as long as you could say I left it all out there, I did my best, I tried my hardest, then you can have no regrets in what the result is. And that's like sort of my life is like just like grab life by the balls and do every single thing all the time, which is why I suck it. Relaxing but that way when I die, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Did it nothing to regret?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Got it all in, You left it all out there on the field. Can we do a few rapid fire questions? Yeah, okay, this is tough. Favorite sport to watch?
Speaker 3: Oh, come on, that's mean.
Speaker 1: How about like one that you find and most enjoyable?
Speaker 3: That's really meaning?
Speaker 2: I can't do it, so right now, I'm just gonna stay tied for basketball and soccer and football.
Speaker 1: Favorite sport to play basketball. Best part of being in a Oh.
Speaker 3: You can buy whatever you want almost all the time.
Speaker 1: I love a prior podcast episode that you did titled be Who You needed when you were a kid? Who or what did you need as a kid that you became?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I needed a completely unapologetic, unf withable, fearless, tall, sarcastic, confident woman who seemed like she didn't give any f's whatsoever about what the world or the spaces she went into thought.
Speaker 1: Of her, and then you became her. Hopefully best sports film or documentary of all time?
Speaker 3: Oh, the Last Dance about my boyfriend Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Oh really, that is not what I thought you were going to say. Yeah, okay, is there a book that you've read something that really change your life or impacted you well.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Untamed, and I was talking to some twenty year old girls and I told them that they needed to read it, and I said, I really wish that I had read a book like this when I was twenty, because the way that it made me think about what had been put in my head and what I believed without choosing to believe it or even thinking about it was so important. And it actually made me think of like podcast ideas and conference ideas and ways to try.
Speaker 3: To get to women when they're younger and get them.
Speaker 2: Passed that idea, particularly of the patriarchy and pleasing men and aligning with the proximity of power to men and instead realizing the power of aligning with women and lifting with women instead of trying to please men in power positions. I think we could shift a lot of the power dynamics in this country and at companies. But you have to get to the women younger. It's all the people my age that are like, oh, we get it now, like this is BS. But when I was in my twenties, I was very much still thinking always about pleasing men, like making men respect me, making men think I was good at one, like because all the spaces I was in, that was who was making all the decisions.
Speaker 1: Yep, me too, Sarah. Okay, I do a pretty smart question. Okay, you let me know when to stop.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 1: Okay, what lesson has taken you the longest to learn? Who?
Speaker 2: I'm still working on being a gracious loser?
Speaker 3: So if that is it?
Speaker 1: What even is a gracious loser?
Speaker 3: If you mean one we've learned, I'm still not there.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing to me how much I can't lose things without being an a hole.
Speaker 3: I'm working on it.
Speaker 2: I'm very competitive, like problematically competitive, and it's not really useful so much the way it used to be, Like don't have a good excuse for it anymore.
Speaker 3: It's not like getting me anywhere. That I'm like an angle in every competition.
Speaker 2: And then the other one I would say that I actually have learned, was that my way, even though it's been very successful for me, that doesn't mean it's the right way.
Speaker 3: That there isn't one right way.
Speaker 2: And also that I owe so much of my happiness and success to my mental health, my family, the things that I haven't had to be burdened with and Yeah, I'm just like, I feel like I'm a much better person now that I recognize that. I would just like to say I wasn't a jerk about it before. I wasn't like everyone listened to me. I knew everything, but I did sort of always very flippantly be like, well, why do they make that choice?
Speaker 3: Or why do they do that?
Speaker 2: Or why would you ever want to like try heroin or why would anyone do I just didn't understand that people were saddled with these things and that it felt better to escape or to numb, or to make bad choices or to have risky behavior.
Speaker 3: That it was a result of things. It wasn't just them being more on or like making a bad choice.
Speaker 2: And anyway, I just want to put that out there because I'm making it sound like before I was around like I'm a queen.
Speaker 3: Follow me.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so at all. I think you sound like you just have a lot of empathy and gratitude. Yeah, the smartest decision you've ever made.
Speaker 2: When I was about twenty seven and I wasn't making a lot of money and I started I was starting to get more job offers in this business, I decided that going forward. I would always ask myself before every job, will this make me happier?
Speaker 3: Or will it just make me more famous and have more money?
Speaker 2: And every time I turned down a great job opportunity, I knew I was doing it because it was not going to make me happier. And maybe it would have eventually, maybe it was a path to something great, but you know, it was work with someone that you hate, or wake up at four am every day, or move to New York or whatever these things were that I didn't want. I didn't want to be constantly making decisions based on the idea that if I had more money or I was more famous, that that would.
Speaker 3: Make me happier.
Speaker 2: I always knew that my happiness was rooted in other things, and so to make choices based on that.
Speaker 1: How does it feel to be so fucking good at what you do? Ah?
Speaker 3: I don't think I am, or know that. I think.
Speaker 2: I have certain things that I will admit that I'm very good at, and other things that I have a very healthy understanding that other people are much better at and that I still need to get better at. But I do like the feeling now of being in the business long enough that I I do walk into spaces and think like I belong here and I deserve to be here, and when people try to tell me otherwise, it doesn't even like like it used to.
Speaker 3: Really, I used to really believe it and be like they're right, but I have to pretend they're not right, and then I have to learn, and now I'm just like, n yes, I'm good, I'm good. I earned this.
Speaker 1: I used to be so scared about getting older in this business, and now I revel in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There's a Mindy Kaling.
Speaker 2: Excerpt from her book that I can't remember which book it was, but somebody asked her about like being in charge and like owning being in charge, and she said, basically, if you work hard enough for it, then you can own it and show it, like you can be confident and proud and tell people about your success because you earned it. And for me, that's very hard for women a lot. But I find that I try to give women permission to be more outspoken, more confident, more hyping of themselves, because I don't see that very often, and we need to give other women permission that because like when I see Megan Rappino wearing her fancy watch and telling people I wear this, so people know that you can make millions of dollars as a female athlete.
Speaker 3: I want girls to know that you can be rich.
Speaker 2: Just like we see men wearing their chains and there whatever, and we laud them for it, but with women know it's you know, you shouldn't be you should be humble. I'm I would rather be representative for women who are already pretty confident but need another notch, then be.
Speaker 3: Someone that's more palatable and easy. And so for me, like that.
Speaker 2: Is huge, just the idea of like if you earned it, then you can feel confident about it.
Speaker 3: Like own it.
Speaker 1: That's so awesome. Thank you for that. Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.