Speaker 1: We recently got asked a question from the brah Meats World guys, and I know my answer, of course, but I don't know y'all's answer, either of you ever done media training?
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't even know what that really means.
Speaker 3: Is that different than astronaut training because I've done astronaut training.
Speaker 1: Wait, you've done astronaut training?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, wow, I was gonna believe you. I wish I wish I had. I mean, yes, I did three to media training.
Speaker 3: Like seriously, like sitting down and hey, here's how you addressed the camera, here's how you talked to I mean like that.
Speaker 2: I don't actually know. I don't really know. I haven't done it either. That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 1: I don't know exactly what media training is, but I think it's I think, yeah, I think it's I actually think it's kind of what we were talking about earlier off air, which was the way.
Speaker 2: And how you open up and responded to interviews as opposed to just started a podcast and reaching forward. Yeah we're not. We're not so good at that. No, just kind of figured it out. We just invite everybody on and see what happens. I know, but isn't that? What isn't that?
Speaker 3: The reason we started this is because we would sit down and have earnest, honest, completely open conversations. The problem is then we'll sit down with somebody from the press and still do that.
Speaker 2: We still do it.
Speaker 1: I know, I do think this is a good I and I think Will is this very much the same way. But writer, maybe you're not this way. I still when I know something, or even when I don't know, we are currently in a situation where we know something is going to be in the press, and I hate it. I don't like being in the press. I don't don't like articles.
Speaker 2: Being written about us.
Speaker 1: I knew it was going to happen when we started the podcast, because that's just the way this works.
Speaker 2: But I even going into it.
Speaker 1: That was the number one negative for me of starting the podcast was, Oh, gosh, we're going to be in the news.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was going to be this much. Oh, I'm honest with you.
Speaker 1: You have no idea we were going to be in the news this much. Now, never could have predicted, but I thought I knew it was going to happen. Ever, and even that idea bummed me out. But I don't think writer, I don't. Do you feel that way too, or are you the type who because you are so into social conversation and having those kind of dialogues more comfortable with Yeah, it's honest, I said it. I'm fine with it. Let's open up a discussion and put it out into the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's bad. And I think I'm just my problem. I mean, I think I'm a bad famous person. Like you guys are very good at being famous people. I feel like I'm pretty horrible at it in that I just hate it. I avoid it and so in a weird way. Yes that I think that makes me probably like like I can turn it off, do you know what I mean? Like, I just I shut off this part. I don't read about myself and don't google. But I don't try try out my public image or think about it, even to my detriment when I was acting, you know, like.
Speaker 2: It would have been good to You have to think strategically.
Speaker 4: About your image and how people perceive you capitalize on that for your projects, Like that's part of being a famous person, you know, you you know, create a hairline if that's what you're known for.
Speaker 2: Danielle and you you.
Speaker 4: Do good work with what you have, as you know, and I've never been able to do that. I've just run away from the spotlight. So yeah, I mean, but it's also completely different now than it used to be.
Speaker 3: Trying So I remember back in the day, we would be you know, you're you're on a show and you're probably doing movies in between, or you know, voice or whatever it is, and we all I know that I did.
Speaker 2: I'll speak for myself.
Speaker 3: At one point, you hire a publicist, and so I had a publicist for a few months. And by the fourth kind of weird photoshoot or you know, talk show that I didn't really belong on, I kind of I became friends with my publicist and I was like, dude, this is this is just not for me, wasn't it was, Yeah, it wasn't about branding so much back in the day. Now it's like you brand yourself all over the place in social media, which I don't do it all and all that kind of stuff. I mean, it's it's so different now that it's just it's very bizarre, and it's it's gotten worse for me where I'm the same way writer or I just like I don't want to think about it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: And then you know, you read one bad thing about yourself and it's like my my weeks.
Speaker 2: Are ruined, and it's like, oh man, I don't want to do this anymore. We're in a weird time because in some ways we crave.
Speaker 4: Like it used to be that, you know, people would have parasocial relationships with musicians or actors or whatever, and that that relationship would be mediated by like editorial boards, you know, or like we're you know, publications that or talk shows. But now you can have a one on one relationship based on Instagram or Twitter or whatever a middle person, so that and and so that it's broken down that control and created in some ways a more authentic parasocial relationship where like you know, I know that Billie Eilish gets on stage or Tailor Switch gets on stage and they talk to their fans and there is like you know me and I know you, and there's like this one to But in other ways that just becomes that can just become a different performance of authenticity animals, and a more invasive one at that because then it's like you're you're you are always performing a version of who you are, you know, and that's something that I'm you know that this podcast is really interesting because we've invited people into our lives, you know, to a degree. But I feel very authentic, mostly because I'm with YouTube, you know. Like I think if I was sitting down with a talk show host and questions about Boy Meets World, I would be reticent to be as open as I am on our own podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, I've noticed, even for us, the difference between the way we used to respond at conventions in the Q and A versus the way sometimes.
Speaker 2: Now we all respond in the Q and A.
Speaker 1: That our old Q and A answers were usually very concise things that were mostly fan service oriented. It didn't make them not true. It was just what can I say that isn't going to take this too deep? That's going to give an answer that people will understand. And now when we do Q and AS, the questions we get that are much more tailored and adjusted. Because of podmets World, our answers have also become more truly authentic to who we are, and so it has It's been in some ways it's been nerve wracking to let people in.
Speaker 2: On the very very real, significantly.
Speaker 1: Less masked versions of ourselves that every celebrity or famous person has to put out there. This is much more, you know, just us nake it. Yeah, And it's in some ways been very freeing and very nice, and then in other ways still very nerve wracking.
Speaker 3: I mean I used to I know that for me, it was my my you know, security blanket. I used to just deflect everything with humor because you could do it very quickly. You know, somebody would say something, I'd shout out something that was funny, and then they move on to the next question.
Speaker 2: You can't do that when you're talking for an hour at a time, right, It can't just be yeah, exactly right, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's it's you know, it's but to what you were saying, writer, that's that's the one of the good and bad things. It's mostly in my opinion, bad thing about social media. And you see it with bullying.
Speaker 2: It's like when kids used to leave school, the bullying would stop.
Speaker 3: They had a safe place at home. But now that there's social media, it never stops. It's with them all the time. It's the same thing with celebrities. You used to leave the stage, we would wave we would take our bow, we would get into our cars, we would drive home, and it would just be a quiet kind of ugh.
Speaker 2: But now with social media that never goes away.
Speaker 4: I would say though that I actually think the worst period of uh being famous was like two thousand to two thousand and eight ish, like before social media, because yeah, man, that was when the paparazzi like and that's when you're talking about Brady Spears and like the area of people's and teams era. That was when people's lives like I I mean, it's I think it was that reality TV era where it was still in the control of people who were publishing the magazines and publishing the TV shows, and they were exploitative to a degree and invasive to a degree. It was it was it was financially viable or they were incentivized to ruin people's lives and to invade people's lives in a way that now like we throw the door open, you know, because we can be the gatekeepers of our own privacy with social media. You know, it's interesting to me that like, im like I am available, like people can I'm on Twitter, Like if you want to send me a message, you can't and for the most part, people don't, you know, like people don't because and that's great, you know. I'm like, Okay, this door is always open, like you can contact me if you want to. I'm you know, but I feel like before social media there was more of a like uh it was privacy was sort of more valued and therefore more invaded, if that may like it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I think like that period was way worse and I'm glad it's over.
Speaker 3: But I think it culminated in a large way with Princess Diana. I mean where the paparazzi were kind of responsible for killing this woman.
Speaker 2: I don't know the culminated. I think it got even I mean I think it got worse after that. I mean that was I think that was kind of head shaved moment.
Speaker 3: Was that was nuts the Britney head But I mean it was like they paparazzi helped to kill this woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It's getting was getting No.
Speaker 4: I think it's that this whole part of the same progression. I just know that like for me, like part of the reason that I wanted to keep my head down and avoid anything in the public from two thousand on was because of that specific culture, Like it was so off to me, and I was not the type of person that was like okay with walking into parts of Like you were just that period. If you went anywhere in Los Angeles that was slightly populated by famous people, you just had to deal with being harassed and photographed and videoed everywhere you went.
Speaker 2: That's not really the case anymore. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe I just I never dealt with that though, because you never went out I left my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you.
Speaker 4: Went out, it was like those era, like if you went into West Hollywood or the Sunset Strip, you went, it was it was crazy, Like people would I would go shopping in the middle of the day in those parts of town and like cars would screech to a halt and some dude would jump out taking my photograph and I'd be like, Hi, do you want to talk to me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And they'd be just be yelling at me like yeah yeah, And I'm like but but like you could pull over and ask to take a photograph, like what do we do it here? We're playing this game of like gotcha? That is horrifying.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible feeling too.
Speaker 1: I remember being actually scared I had a photographer jump out at me at the parking lot at the Grove from like behind a car, and I was like ah, and then like now you want to talk to me and ask me a normal question? Like you just terrified me? No, I don't, what are you doing? Get away from me? But it's really interesting because this episode that we are recapping today made me. It was like, oh, what a timely episode for us. Yeah, so we can jump into it. Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fishall, I'm Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfredell Orlando. In case you haven't heard, we are coming to you on September seventeenth at the hard Rock Live. Tony Quinn is going to be joining us, and we had previously been sold out, but there were just two hundred tickets released, so if you want to be there, you've got an opportunity, but not much. And we are also coming to Philly and New York. Tickets are available and guests are ready to be announced soon. We will be at the Met in Philadelphia on September thirtieth, and we will be at New York Town Hall in the New York Comedy Fest on November ninth. You can go to Podmeats worldshow dot com for tickets. Welcome to season three, episode number seven, Truth and Consequences. It originally aired November tenth, nineteen ninety five. The synopsis is that Sean and Corey are on the hunt for a juicy investigative report in their journalism class it's actually the media arts class, but their scoop ends up getting Janitor Bud fired. Also, Eric participates in a sleep study. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Donna Truehiho trueO trueO t r U j I l l O.
Speaker 2: Do you guys remember I?
Speaker 3: Do I do? Remember?
Speaker 2: You remember?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 4: I can remember the name sounds so premilire. I swear I have an image of a person in my head if I but maybe wash she not on staff.
Speaker 1: I don't think she was on but because I don't remember the name. But also I have a terrible memory, so I don't know. Guest stars Alex de serraz Eli, will Williams Blake Soaper as Joey Joey They're at Epstein, Kathy Trajissar as Monique, and Bob Larkin as Janitor Budd.
Speaker 2: Who does some.
Speaker 1: Pretty impressive work in this episode. Before we jump into our recap, does anybody have any over arching thoughts? I can go first. I enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed it. Finally, I feel like Season three has been a little bit of a Season three has missed the mark for me in a lot of episodes. There have been some great moments, and I think some really funny moments.
Speaker 2: But I liked this episode a lot. Me too.
Speaker 4: I loved it. I did not think it was super funny, No, but I really I loved its complexity, the way it leans into ambiguity for the adults, and like so like thematically, I feel like this is the boy meets World sweet spot. As far as like the message, I loved it.
Speaker 2: Nobody agreed.
Speaker 4: I mean that that and Eli's or Alex is so good as it was cool to see him finally having a moment, and yeah, there's a lot of there's tons of fun stuff in here.
Speaker 2: I you know, the storyline was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's like it's it was just so unnecessary and plugged in that it's like, why even do it? Just add more to the a story and give me a week off? Because it's just really makes no sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is comic relief, and it's it's a good comic relief.
Speaker 3: It's not in any way, shape or form adding to anything. It's not big Gafa laughs. It's just kind of like, oh, it's a page of kind of like, Okay, he's got no brain.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to see if this continues to set up the truly brain dead Eric.
Speaker 3: I think I think it will. I always say this is the genesis, this is the genesis. But this is where he started to get really ridiculous, where it's.
Speaker 2: Like the mouse.
Speaker 3: The mouse has brain activity and Eric doesn't. It's like that's this is when they just went crazy pants with it. I loved the A story. I thought the A story was great, but the BET story I thought was just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's also this pattern that is asserting itself of like the beautiful woman with authority that comes into the X life, which is not like the third time she can be the hairstylist. She can be yeah, she can.
Speaker 4: Obviously like a formula. I was like, well, let's get an attractive woman in here, and that's why.
Speaker 3: You know that will be They've also they set it up in one of the school classrooms.
Speaker 2: Nobody else is registered.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just the whole thing is so ridiculously stupid that it's like it's you just didn't need it.
Speaker 2: But he just did and you were having fun, and I think it is fun, right, Yeah, I mean I guess.
Speaker 3: I just it's one of those things where this is where it started to be to me, and I distinctly remember this week because it started to be to me like, oh, they're doing a good television show and occasionally they're going to cut me to do ridiculous stuff like That's where I remember thinking this. I remember this week like, oh, they're doing something like where they're acting and it's you know, they've got there's good story story lines.
Speaker 2: The parents have great storylines.
Speaker 3: Phoene's got a great storyline, the kids all have a great storyline.
Speaker 2: And now here's Eric being an idiot. Like that's what I remember.
Speaker 3: This is where it really set it up for me, where it's like, oh, I wonder if this is what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I think it is. And I don't know if that's necessarily a horrible thing. I think it is. If you're the one constantly doing the ridiculus, you enjoyed it, you had fun. I would rather have been in the better storyline.
Speaker 3: I mean that's how I was every week is I always would rather have been in the better storyline where I got to act, I got to do stuff where the comedy came from that as opposed to again, I always thought it was like, we're doing this great show and while they run off and change wardrobe, we're gonna have you dance on on the stage rather than the show comes back on.
Speaker 2: And that's always what it started to be like to me. It's all about balance. You know.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like in cooking, and you know they talk about like there's five different flavors yea sweet. Yeah, so you feel like I feel like when the show starts to get too dramatic, they need just some geographs And like I came that like.
Speaker 3: Season I know, yeah great, but there's times I wanted to be the main course.
Speaker 2: I didn't just want to be the salt sprinkled on the top totally.
Speaker 3: That's so to use your analogy, it was, I was always watching these great shows happening, and then it was like, all right, now go dance for you know, a page and a half to make us laugh, and then we're going to get back into the real show.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 4: I know we've talked about this for years actually, like you know, but I don't remember you expressing any of that at the time.
Speaker 3: Of course, not because I wasn't expressing anything at the time. I didn't go up and I didn't go up into the.
Speaker 2: Producers and say here's what I want my character to be.
Speaker 3: I never was never doing that, So it was it wasn't until later where I started to assert myself a little bit where it was, you know, fifth, sixth, seventh season.
Speaker 2: You know, by we're still third season.
Speaker 3: I'm still doing what they tell me to do whenever they tell me to do it. And I wasn't arguing like, hey, wait a second, why am I you know, why is this?
Speaker 2: And again, this was just the start, so I didn't know what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: But I'm guessing by six or seven episodes of this, it's going to be like, oh, and let's cut to Eric for some wackiness while we, you know, then have the real show going on around him.
Speaker 2: After a while, it just got to be too much. It was like, no, see, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know you've expressed that retrospectively, But I remember the time you loving them like you just making people laugh.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'll never I'll never not love making people laugh for hamming it up. Of course I always loved doing that. But I would always sit there during the run throughs and stuff and be like, that's the show I want to be on, like watching your because again, this a storyline was great, and then it was just kind of cutting to which again in the classroom, made no sense. Then there's like all the doctors around him at the end, it's just kind of like, all right, this is this is this is my life.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm doing from now. You don't ever, I mean I always thought I always assumed that it was more of the opposite, that you were sort of rolling your eyes, that the sentimentality and the like.
Speaker 3: When it got ridiculous towards the end where like, well, yeah, when it was the Corey Tapanga stuff where it got to be like, you know, you could tell that it was kind of an unhealthy, obsessive relationship. It was like when it got to that, and then when it really got to stuff where it's like our little brother was born and.
Speaker 2: Everything's taking place in the knee que.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's when it was like, okay, I'll stick in my lane.
Speaker 2: But we weren't there yet. It wasn't by that point.
Speaker 3: I liked it because then it was like, all right, let's get the people laughing again.
Speaker 2: But we weren't there yet.
Speaker 3: This was now like I saw a really cool show being done around me, and I was just doing this stuff. And so I didn't dislike it because I knew I was going to be getting all the laughs.
Speaker 2: But I would.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're watching like Joey in there and Feenie and Eli and they're on different sets and you guys are doing it. It was just a better show that I was watching. Frankly, so yeah, that's again. Loved the a story of this one. Looked at mine and I was like, Okay, I get what I'm doing. It's it is what it is.
Speaker 1: So we did just get an update that Donna true heo. I think I'm saying that correctly. If I'm not, please forgive me. She wrote another episode in season three, so she must have been on staff for season three. So let's jump into our recap. We start in the school cafeteria. Slash and mister Williams classroom. Sean is filming Corey for a school news report, and we see the lunch lady, Bertha von Buloh. He says she is a former nanny for the Gorbachev family and now makes Russian treats at John Adams High. Her specialty is red square jello.
Speaker 4: So John with a news report and the handheld camera, we look at the show, which is so interesting that we didn't do that when the actual news team was like, we just used you can't see the cameras where it's here. It's a old camera talk giant window she's in. Was that always there in the cafeteria?
Speaker 1: No, although maybe I'm wondering if there had been a one of the like a poll down there before, But no, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: That was all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because when Corey, like in the last episode, Corey was on, they created like a stage for a pep rally right there. Yeah, and there was just a wall behind him if I remember.
Speaker 2: So that so that was built for this episode.
Speaker 1: It could also be another cafeteria on the many many floors of the.
Speaker 2: Tower that is John Adams High. Is there.
Speaker 4: It has to be the one where there's a time punch a time card punch.
Speaker 2: There's a time card puncher there.
Speaker 1: There's also this sleep study room on another floor of the tower, so listen.
Speaker 2: Architects that built to Matthew's house, John Adams leaning Tower of Peace out.
Speaker 1: So Sean pans the camera over to two pretty girls at the vending machine and asks if they want to be in the pictures. They laugh, but Corey gets Sean's attention again, and he stuffs red jello in his mouth and says freedom never tasted so good. The video stops and we're now in mister Williams class and he calls on Corey and Sean to wake up. They fell asleep during their own assignment. Sean thinks the video stinks, but Corey tells him to shush because maybe mister Williams doesn't know.
Speaker 2: That, but Alex says he knows, he knows.
Speaker 1: Tapeka says students have the right to know how their food is prepared and compliments Corey's report, and mister Williams says Corey has himself a good woman, but questions how jello is news, and Sean says, when it's used for evil, so very funny. I'm already starting to pick up on the subtle themes, maybe not so subtle of when really what women do in relationships that are good.
Speaker 2: And that is one of them is.
Speaker 1: Defend your man, even when he's a maroone.
Speaker 2: Just gonna point that out there. Did you like your performance in this episode, Danielle, I was better in this one than I have been in ones. For sure. It was great.
Speaker 1: It was significantly better funny, you know, I felt like there was a character there.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's character development, and this is nice, Like you're like even a little bit of backstory.
Speaker 1: Katie cork and I say don't eat which I wish had been don't eat pork, because then maybe we could have tied.
Speaker 2: In the Little Cory. We're getting ahead of ourselves.
Speaker 1: Mister william says An, as a news reporter, you have to tell the truth and make it interesting, then tells the boys they have to redo their assignment.
Speaker 2: Sean says media art is supposed.
Speaker 1: To be an easy a and Corey says, maybe he doesn't know that, but mister Williams says, again, oh he knows.
Speaker 2: He knows that.
Speaker 1: They go on air in four days, but Corey doesn't seem too concerned. They go on after the Origami lady, but Tapenga says she's actually awesome and can fold herself up into a ship, and Sean slyly says, nothing.
Speaker 2: Wrong with that.
Speaker 1: It's the beginning of us figuring out Sean has some ship fetish.
Speaker 2: Or weird sexual the horn Dog this entire episode, which I was like, because even like me in the beginning, flirting with the girls, right the what is the point of it, Like they want to be in.
Speaker 3: Forgetting that voice, you want to help me find my puppy, Like, I'm glad you didn't.
Speaker 2: You didn't do that. I think it would have been funnier. Now I was grossed out by like Seawans horn Dog or just kind of bored. It's just like, okay, yeah, it's just a remind I think.
Speaker 1: You know, they were appealing to the teen boy contingent of the nineties, and they needed to keep reminding you that they're all teen boys.
Speaker 2: Also playing to all our tropes.
Speaker 3: Now, Eric D Sean girl crazy to Payga, you know, kind of supporting Corey but don't eat veal Corey in the middle not knowing what's going on. I mean, it's like now we're all hitting our stride for exactly what our characters are, so it's kind of interesting that there were still there's still not a depth to them in a lot of a lot of ways, but.
Speaker 2: We're at least hitting the what we're supposed to be or what we're going to become. Yeah, Sean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think Sean is like the sort of ladies man is funnier, you know what I mean, like for better works, like when I flirted with the teacher in the beginning of second season, very first funny, Yeah, because it's like I'm sophisticated in all the wrong ways, right, Yeah, this this episode, I'm just like like a hitting on girls with a camera.
Speaker 2: It's just not clever, it's just kind.
Speaker 1: I also really liked it when like you had the thirty foot range where it was like we can't help it, man, We're like, yeah, yeah, ladies are just drawn to me.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think Sean is like the like it doesn't even have to worry about it, ladies. Man, it's funnier than this version of Sean, which is.
Speaker 3: Just and then when you did actually go after a woman, you did it wrong. Yes, that's always so funny. So you already go up and go I'm a cop, you know, like stuff like that that's hysterically funny. Yeah, yeah, so there's a there's a depth to it. Girls always flock to you, but the ones you want you didn't.
Speaker 5: Know how to.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, yeah, that's great. So yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, then we're in Turner's apartment. Corey walks in and Sean rushes Corey to the window to where a woman is dancing in a towel. Sean says she does it every day at five point thirty and starts filming. Turner walks in and sees the boys walks in.
Speaker 4: How about that music when she's It's like, it's like a fool music? Why are we hearing the music because we're like through too. We're across the street right filming somebody at another apartment. But when the camera is outside the window, we can hear the music that she's dancing to in her towel.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I didn't even think. I didn't even heard. It's so funny. Back to the apartment and we can't hear it. So it's like, oh, so the it says the windows open right, yes, and like so as an audience of the camera, we can hear it, but it's just, you know, funny check that it's not about that, but that's what I was thinking of, you know, clearly the music is in.
Speaker 1: So Turner walks in, sees the boys looking out the window and says, five thirty.
Speaker 2: Huh man, my watch must be slow. He then tells them funny joke.
Speaker 1: He then tells them to get away from the window and asks what they're doing with the camera. Corey responds saying it's homework and they're shooting a news report. Turner asks if they think the woman in the towel is news, and Corey says, we think she's up to no good. Turner tells them to turn the camera off, but as he's explaining why, he notices the towel fell off and the boys start fumbling all over themselves to keep recording. Turner grabs the camera, explains that exploiting someone's body is not news and tells them that they should watch the five thirty news on TV to see real journalism. He then turns on the TV and there's a news report about breast enlargements, and he turns the TV off again and Sean just looks at him, so great, It's great.
Speaker 4: After you know, like hearing you recap it after watching the rest of the episode. This sets up everything. It sets up the dynamic, which is you don't exploit somebody just for the sake of your you know, it's really clever that, you know, what's what is just a sort of horny boy scene actually thematically links exactly right to the skyline and then of course the cynas system of the television the actual news having gone here too is a great point.
Speaker 3: And Tony gives the best Tony Quinn face when he shuts off the TV. He just like and he's got his eyebrow going up and it's like the oh, it's it's so Tony.
Speaker 2: It's I also.
Speaker 4: Love I love the Turner relationship with Sean and Corey, which is this authority figure, but with what he's not shaming them for right, Like he's not walking in and being like, how dare you look at a girl? It's like, I get it, I understand why you want to look at a naked woman. Let's just be smart and appropriate about this. It's not like a you know, it's a perfectly appropriate it's a perfect father figure vibes where he's not judging them for having feelings. He's just you know, telling them to be more responsible about those feelings, and it's just it's really well put.
Speaker 3: So I don't we don't have to harp on this, and I don't know if this is in fact true or not. And this is pure speculation on my point, on my part, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But the more I'm watching.
Speaker 3: Tony, the more it makes no sense that he wasn't brought back to the show. Something else had to be going on that we don't know about. Had to because he's perfect, and the relationship with everybody is so good. He fits in seamlessly. He's perfect for Sean. He's now spending more time with Corey. We do not know the story of why Tony left. I'm convinced of that because it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Well, we I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I would love because I love this idea and I love this theory, and I want to I want to be like, yes, let's get to the bottom of it. I don't remember anything leading up to what actually happens story wise for him to go away, so.
Speaker 2: I want to we will. We will uncover it in live time, because I because it doesn't make any sense where we are right now.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine that he's just till the end of the season and then got it.
Speaker 5: So yeah.
Speaker 1: So then we're in the school cafeteria. Janitor Bud is chasing a student, Leonard, saying that a nervous stomach is nothing to be ashamed of. Phoene comes up and tells Janitor Budd he shouldn't embarrass a student like that, but he says they're tight as the student runs away.
Speaker 2: Janitor Budd is Leonard one of Michael's kids, sus that I thought, so too, is it really?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Is it David? It might be David, because it's really I didn't recognize him. Oh.
Speaker 4: I was like, why is there somebody under eighteen as an extra in the scene? It makes no sense? And then I was like, oh, that's one of the Jacob's kids, but I couldn't recognize which one was.
Speaker 2: I said this same thing, it's one of the Jacob's kids in an uncredited sort of appearance, because there's no reason why there would be a kid in an extra position like that. Didn't Bud also mention the name Leonard before that? Rang in my ears?
Speaker 3: Isn't there an episode where he says something about Leonard.
Speaker 1: I also thought one of our original nerds from the beginning of season two was named Leonard. But then Jensen reminded me that Lenny Spinelli is technically a Leonard, so maybe Leonard's just in our head from there too.
Speaker 3: But I feel like Bud Jenner Budd has said said the name Leonard before.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, they brought this character back. Was the first thing I thought, Well, I agree with you. I think it is David. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I think you're stupid. I didn't even put it in my notes because I said it out loud. And then I was like, I don't know, and I'm not really sure I care to spend the I don't. I don't have a way to figure it out. And then I forgot about it because you said it as a character. Because he doesn't okay, so janitor Bud then chases him out and says, I still love the chase that poor kid with ibs. And then Foene joins Turner and Williams for lunch, and Turner asks about all the beautiful women outside Phoene's office. Turns out Phoene is interviewing secretaries because Missus Wooley is moving to Florida to be with her grand grandkids. The littlest one just turned fifty, which I thought is a great joke, funny Joe joke. And then he says a couple of people chipped into buy Missus Wooly and oxygen tank. And when Turner says that isn't funny, Phoene explains she's a certified scuba diver. Foene sure does love him some scuba.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, he's a teacher at the local school of school. Love scuba yep, big fan of scuba.
Speaker 1: Sean says there is nothing out there to do their news report on then suggest this story.
Speaker 4: We just ran through that joke like like it doesn't get a laugh, but the idea that there's because that's funny, Like, oh, there's nothing else out there. Now we've been told not to do no one, We're to order the lunch lady. Like that could have been funny if I had hit it harder, but I was just like, there's nothing else out there, just blue right through it.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I don't know that it was I don't know that it was meant to be a joke.
Speaker 1: It is funny as an adult who like looks at kids and goes, there's a billion topics in the world, and the only two you can think of is the cafeteria lady or of a naked woman. But I do think that they were trying to set up this idea of man, we're going to have to scramble for something because I'm out of ideas. So I don't necessarily know that it was supposed to get a laugh, but I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 1: It is certainly a place where you could have found a laugh, right had you played it.
Speaker 3: This is a whole new shirt for Sean, by the way, this whole this black and white shirt that he's wearing is a whole new, whole new get up. Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we have seen that Vlure shirt. I remember so well, the one with the striped allures. We've seen I think I think it's in this episode again, and it was in the last one.
Speaker 2: I remember it, and remember you.
Speaker 3: Got the vest and everything. But this is a whole new They're trying a whole new thing here. I was like, Wow, that's it. That's a different look for Sean right now.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 1: Sean suggests they could do a story on his uncle Vic who was set up, but it may not work because there's a good chance he'd kill them killed.
Speaker 2: It makes me wonder whether or not he was set up.
Speaker 1: Corey suggests they find a scandal at school, but Sean says there is no scandal at school. Right then, Joey comes into the cafeteria trying to sell stolen tires, and Corey has an idea that if they followed Joey, they find a story.
Speaker 2: And now this begins what is probably the greatest blake performance of any episode.
Speaker 3: On It is bend something four times.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I hope it's you suck I pulled.
Speaker 2: The clip is a clip, but it's perfect.
Speaker 4: But even in this beat, he shows up the tires tires, and then he shows up with the tubes saw and then did you guys notice his look of disgust at us? Yes, not buying the tube socks or not even responding him because we were so caught up at OAR.
Speaker 2: He just plays it perfectly. Is this the only time he's alone? I feel like this is one of the only times I remember him being alone on it. No, but he carries an entire storyline and.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful blaze through this episode with so much confidence in humor.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: I was like, and then I remember that, because I didn't remember this episode at all except for pontificating from your tukus and you suck like I remember those very clearly.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. Yeah, yeah, so great. I love it.
Speaker 3: So Joey's the dialog? I'm sorry, very quick acting question. Do you think the dialogue for Joey is so good?
Speaker 2: And so Chris?
Speaker 3: Because he came up with his character so early and it was so solid that writing for him was a lot easier then they were writing for us. But we hadn't established our characters the way he had, so they're trying to help us find our character.
Speaker 2: Where he actually showed them what the care character was, well, a voice. He gave it a voice right before. It'd be so much easier than it's like, we don't really know what Eric is.
Speaker 1: Also, the to the writer's credit, it's a lot easier to give a character who you don't have to focus an entire show around a really specific voice, because no matter what situation you drop them in, they're going to be that thing all the time.
Speaker 2: And then you can pop them out.
Speaker 1: When you're trying to like build a universe around characters who you know, you need to think.
Speaker 2: Of things like they got to be likable, they got to be this.
Speaker 1: It's so much more fun to write for a Joey who you know can be all of these things so good. In this episode, someone who's very good at jackting. Joey opens his jacket to flash all the tube socks he's selling. He has like twenty four pairs of socks in there. And if I had taken anything from the set of Boy Meets World, I wish I took that tube sox jacket.
Speaker 2: I'd love to just have it.
Speaker 1: You could wear that everywhere. And then we're in the school hallway slash lab. Eric runs over to see if it's true. There's a science lady looking for students to be a part of a research study. Monique says she's doing a thesis on psychology with.
Speaker 2: A hot lady. Name was Monique. Also the name of the woman at the hairdresser. That's what I thought, it's Monique. I think it's the same the short haired, pretty lady named Monique, and we were I was like, it's either so similar to I.
Speaker 1: Think it's Monique, and we have a Lenny Spinelli, a possible other Leonard, and then this poor Leonard. It's like, guys, there are a lot of names out there.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's just Monique again. So she's doing a thesis on psycho neeurology.
Speaker 1: But then and then asks Eric if he's interested in dream research. Eric says, heck no, but he is a fan of the flyer that says you can earn cash while you sleep. He introduces himself and says he's an amateur sleeper ready to turn pro, which I thought was very cute. Also, I love sleeping. I'd be I would for sure sign up for this. There was a place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love sleeping too. But the older I'm getting, the worse I'm getting at it.
Speaker 2: That is the problem. Have you tried uns? I have not.
Speaker 3: I can't take stuff because then yeah, yeah, I don't. Yeah, I was trying to sleep and it's not working.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Monique shows Eric her makeshift laboratory, and Eric smiles and says, I've got a job. And then this is where I realized how many floors are there on this Tower of John Adams, Because we're in the like Turner classroom, we're also in the media arts classroom, and now this is a sleep study classroom, so you know we've got.
Speaker 3: At least yeah, it is, it is. There's different wings maybe yeah wing, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Okay.
Speaker 1: Then we are in the newsroom. Tapanga anxiously gets ready for her news segment, repeating to herself Katie Corek, Katie Corek, Katie Couric, and I thought that was a nice little callback to who Tapanga wanted to write her report on. So we're getting some good character development there. Then Sean brings over tissues because she is sweating, and Tapega says she doesn't sweat, she glistens, and Sean says, you're glistening like a pig. And I remember everything about this scene and this moment and filming this with you, and I still to this day find any opportunity I can to say I don't sweat, I glisten, I'm listening like a pig.
Speaker 4: I remember those lines, but I didn't remember doing it, Like I didn't remember the actual scene. But the second I heard those lines, maybe it was because I've heard you say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've said it a lot.
Speaker 1: And also we had a lot of fun, even even though that was only a small interaction for us. You and I had a lot of fun being able to do this and share this little interaction. I remember, I remember actually acting together, and I remember shooting it with you and being in We were in good spirits, unlike the way when we watched Little Corey and there was like that underlying tension of like anger, something was going on on the set and on our lives, and it was like, oh, it's probably mostly pig, but also maybe some bad stuff in our lives. Like I remember the opposite during this, which was like there was a very lighthearted fun at least in this scene between you and I that I.
Speaker 3: You also noticed, feel sentimental about, like typical actors you because we have makeup on you.
Speaker 2: You were listening like a pig.
Speaker 3: You took the napkins, but you didn't actually do anything because it's like makeup.
Speaker 2: That my makeup. Yep, so funny.
Speaker 1: Well, mister Williams is in full producer mode and Amy and Allen are watching the monitor and say the OREGONI lady looks like the Queen Mary right down to the deck chairs.
Speaker 2: Sean says, ain't nothing wrong to that? Like a rusty doing some great donut, acting wonderful adocting what what is the bit with the food?
Speaker 1: Though, I'm curious, like because the way they're both holding it, I was like, is it just supposed to be Is it a joke about there's craft service at this newsroom and they are or is it just funny to just see them with a Danish or something?
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's it's part of when you're watching somebody watch something, it's see them eating. Yeah, it like redirects the focus. It's like a way for them to just be a set of eyes looking away and it's like giving them something to do that. It reminds you that they're in the room, but then redirects your focus away from that. I don't know, it's like watching somebody eat popcorn, right, they're watching more interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fact that they are watching something suddenly becomes a choice because they're doing something with their own right, but their attention is not.
Speaker 2: On the thing you're doing. Right.
Speaker 1: It gives the audience watching them something to watch, yes, while they're just watching.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yeah, it's really important. It's like actually an essential thing. You know, if you're not going to see what somebody's looking at it because.
Speaker 2: Otherwise this exactly yeah, right, okay again, he's so funny. He's so funny.
Speaker 1: So when mister Feenie tells mister Williams his project has really come together, he asks what he can look forward to, and mister Williams says a lot, including a feature on Janitor Bud that Corey is editing right now. Mister Feenie is concerned, saying mister Williams is airing student reports that haven't yet been seen, but mister Williams says they're good kids. They haven't let him down yet. And mister Feeney says, this is high school join Us.
Speaker 3: Which I loved, and they had to do because it wouldn't make any sense that he wouldn't be looking at the thing for I mean exact, you're gonna you're gonna straight up put up put something on the air that he hasn't looked at as the teacher the students, right right, exactly, so that doesn't so at least they addressed it or tried to address it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's and it's it's they you know. Eli is saying I trust them, and Phoene's like, you're an idiot, essentially, But yeah it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has that logic need, right, but it also sets up his culpability, like he is responsible and he does make a mistake, he should have made it, and so it ends up working, it ends.
Speaker 2: Up being helpful. But yeah, it is kind of a cheat. Yeah, but no, they they they at least wrote it in. They didn't just do it and then not do it.
Speaker 1: It was set up earlier with the fact that they had to redo it. They were on a time, you know.
Speaker 2: They're then of course, having Corey open with the spinach in his teeth reemphasizes like we ran out of times is not a polished thing exactly. So they want to say the lot and this is kind of airtight.
Speaker 1: So mister Williams counts down into Panga panics and says she can't do this right right now. She says that right up until the time that Tapanga is live, and once the camera is rolling, she's totally calm.
Speaker 2: One of the top news stories is about the stolen tube.
Speaker 1: Sock ring, which I thought was a funny little callback to what they had talked about. And then we're in the newsroom continuing Topanga. Thanks Bob, Thank you, Bob. And promotes his book skid Marks Confessions of a Crossing Guard, and then before they cut to a commercial, she does that. Right before they cut to a commercial break. Amy and Allan Telfeeni Topanga has a natural poise as a news anchor. Then Topega starts giving notes, panicking like she's in a high stressed newsroom and calls out the poor kid Leonard with the IBS for having the Q cards facing him.
Speaker 2: She says, I can't work like this, and I which, why didn't you do a lead R? I know, I can't believe I didn't do you. I wanted to go back and be like we used to say, I can't can't. I don't know, maybe because I was I don't know. I want it so bad, but I said it, and then I went back. I was like, I didn't do I didn't do it. A machine, the time machine, you guys, I want it, okay.
Speaker 1: Corey runs in with his tape right before Tapega starts her final news story, which is on Janitor Bud. They start playing Corey's video where he says everyone at school is trapped like deer until three thirty, but asks if some are less trapped than others he films Janitor Bud coming out of his office, and he leaves for school at two fifty five, even though he gets paid until five pm. Then at five pm, Joey comes over takes money out from behind Janitor Bud's time card and.
Speaker 3: The way he's holding the A, the way he's holding the card and b how does nobody see the two guys there from the ft away with a camera?
Speaker 4: So you're having the time punch, the time punch, the time card puncher and all the time cards raise in the hole.
Speaker 2: Anyone to do, Like, no kid's gonna go grab and start punching time cards. I mean all this was so ridiculous, literally wish leaving like Dylan's like, yeah, okay, nobody knows our secret.
Speaker 1: Plank maybe my airtight logic statement.
Speaker 2: This was terrible. This was pretty terrible. This defies that. Okay, it just becomes a cartoon at this point. How do they not see the guy a foot away from that?
Speaker 1: It's like what So Tapanga signs off from the day's newscast and ends it with don't eat veal, And that's where I really wish you would have said don't eat pork, so we could have had a little little Corey call back, but still waiting on that time machine. Corey and Shawn come over to mister Williams, excited about their report. Corey asks if Alan and Amy are proud, but they ask if everything is true, and Corey says, well, you saw not a dramatization.
Speaker 2: Not a dramatization.
Speaker 1: Mister Feeney says, that's unfortunate because now he has the unfortunate task of firing janitor Bud.
Speaker 2: I love this because it's like your Corey's not sure how to feel, you know. And I love that Corey and Sean sort of walk over like tada, and it's like, oh, and it has the error is sort of sucked out of the room and the way the adults are unsure how to react, because it's like if.
Speaker 4: That's you know, and that's this is a cool vibe. It's not like an immediate you guys did something wrong, and it's also not like you did something great. It's more complicated than that. And suddenly it's no one's quite sure how to react. And that is the essence of to me, good drama and yeah, what meets worldwriting. And I loved it and loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is great. This, this whole scene was great. I love it.
Speaker 1: And then we're in the school hallway after some girls ignore them. Corey doesn't understand why people are acting weird around them when they finally did a good job on a project. But Sean says, the big deal is that no one wants Janitor Bud fired. He's been in Phoene's office for an hour. Corey says, Feenie is a fair man, he will give him a second chance, and then Janitor Bud walks out of Phoene's.
Speaker 2: Office and says, what no second chance? Just hey, ties it all in.
Speaker 1: Really, Janitor Bud tells Phoenie there's history between them and that they're like brothers, to which Phoene says, no.
Speaker 2: We're not.
Speaker 4: I can't believe that I didn't remember this whole thing, because do you remember when we were recapping season two and Jander Bud was so funny and the dynamic in the love it between Feenie and Bud. I didn't remember this episode, but we brought was like, I just want to see a whole thing about the two and this is it, and this is and you can still tell Phoene really doesn't like him.
Speaker 2: Which is the kind so awesome like this man, he's so funny.
Speaker 1: It's in this moment when Bud reveals that he retires in two months with a full pension.
Speaker 2: Janitor.
Speaker 1: Bud asks Feenie if he remembers when he saved his life, which Phoenie does not remember. Bud says, Phoenie was walking around the hall when Bud noticed a build up of wax and he had no choice but to throw himself on the wax so that Phoene didn't slip.
Speaker 2: Phoene says he thought he was just sleeping, and but admits, well, once I was down here, down there, Phoene shakes his hand, and I know so good.
Speaker 1: Phoene shakes his hand and thanks him for his service. But Bud says, Ammonia's in my blood. No, really, it is, really, he says, it's all he knows. Phoenie just says godspeed, Janitor.
Speaker 2: Bud looks around the hallway and then walks off.
Speaker 1: Corey says they have nothing to feel bad about because he told they told the truth, and Bud should feel bad for goofing off. And then if we could give posthumous, which I guess means dead not dead, just time machine, Emmys to people to temmy's. I would like to give a temmy to Blake Salt for this next little run. Joey comes out and questions if they think leaving early is considered goofing off.
Speaker 2: He asks if they knew where Janitor Bud was going.
Speaker 1: Every day at two fifty five. Joey says he visits a place where others are less fortunate than him. He throws on more and more gilt, talking about what a sweet giving man Bud is, and then Corey's stomach starts bubbling like that poor child Leonard with ibs. Finally, Joey reveals Bud gives to the track playing the ponies. It's a total misdirect from thinking he was charitable, which is amazing. And before he leaves, Joey gives us this beautiful quote. Let's play the clip.
Speaker 2: Well, next time you go stick in your nose someplace where it don't belong, you remember this, You suck? That's so good.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, though, here's what's so interesting. We specifically had to cut you suck from season two.
Speaker 2: So what has changed now to where now we can say you suck? Who says it again? So much that we don't. You know, people, people tell us what you mind? Everybody what we're talking about. There's a U stink moment when we're banned on the band. Yeah, what an idea. We specifically had to cut it out and changed it to you sir. Sorry, No, that's very valid.
Speaker 1: So we all we get sometimes a lot of you know, people don't like how sometimes we'll go over a point and the reality of it and and the truth is one of the reasons we do it is because we know that's actually what networks and executives do.
Speaker 2: They still do it to this day.
Speaker 1: You could have a show with a total fantastical storyline where there's magic or fairies or whatever, and someone, an executive will say, so, what's the what's the reality.
Speaker 2: Of this moment?
Speaker 3: Is it? You know?
Speaker 2: And they'll want to talk about that. In this situation.
Speaker 1: One of the things that can be very important is the likability of the characters. And when we talk about stakes and and all those things, somebody saying you suck and who they say it to. So I wonder how much of it is just that it's Joey saying it, maybe, and.
Speaker 2: He's older than the girls were when they were saying it. Everybody's older, and I wonder what it means. I wonder if culturally too, things have been changing, like it's been a year and like the idea of like, I don't think anybody would censor you suck now now, No, I don't remember. I mean even when like the Simpsons first came out, Bart Simpson was for saying my shorts was a big deal.
Speaker 4: It was like, Wow, how dare a cartoon have such a braddy kid these offensive things? And then of course you have South Park doing the same thing. You're always pushing the envelope as far as language and what's offensive or not. And I think pretty much by the mid nineties, suck had lost any connotation that was sexual. Maybe it just became you suck, Like just became like you're stay had person.
Speaker 2: It was equivalent was like, man, now we're allowed to say that now apparently. Yeah. Oh, but this is such a legendary moment, so great, it's so so good.
Speaker 1: Sean says, poor Bud, but Corey says, Saint Bud skips work to bless the ponies. Bud comes back to tell Corey and Sean he knows it was them, and he puts the Janitor's curse on them by doing an incredible little dance. And I would watch the Janitor Bud and Joey spin off for sure. I'm right now, I'm calling.
Speaker 2: It, Joey, I'm your Bud. I would watch that spin Wow. I like it, right, I like it. I like those two.
Speaker 1: I also love at the end of his little dance that he does the real almost break that both you and Ben have those Any of those moments that get captured on tape when we watch these episodes are just literally my heart like gets lit up from the inside of so they're still personal and I remember them so well, so it's a I really those little moments that just light me up inside.
Speaker 2: And then we're in the lab.
Speaker 1: Eric is asleep in Monique's lab with wires strapped to his head. She wakes him up and Eric asks where his money is. Monique says she needs to ask Eric some questions, but he says that wasn't part of the deal. She assures him that he will get paid, but asks if he remembers any of his dreams, and Eric says, how could I I was asleep. Monique says that while he was asleep, he had a serene, almost goofy look on his face, but.
Speaker 2: He registered absolutely no brain activity.
Speaker 1: She calls it remarkable, and Eric says, well, I've been sleeping since I was five.
Speaker 4: Now, somewhere in here, I'm not sure which line it is exactly, but you can clearly hear our writers laugh. Yeah, oh really, yes, it's like the regular audience laugh. And then you can hear from down the hall by the monitors, a group of guys laughing extra at your reaction. I think it's when she says something about no brain activity and you're like smiling at the monitor. It's so funny. But I was like, because we've talked about that, how we can hear our specim our writers losing it over you, which is what they all did.
Speaker 2: I just I you didn't want to think.
Speaker 3: I know it sounds ridiculous, but one of the things I remember so much about this episode was how much I loved the blocking because really I was laying there like the whole episode.
Speaker 2: It was so easy. It was just like you just just lie there like, Okay, that's great.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 1: So Monique wants to do more tests, but Eric says, mister remarkable is going to cost her. He wants to renegotiate. He wants half of what she's saying today, then double it, then double it. Monique agrees. Then Eric walks out with everything still strapped to his head.
Speaker 3: Again, it's funny. It is funny, and I liked being funny. I just and I think what the problem is is I know where it's going. So if I had just seen this and this was kind of a one off, I would have been like, Okay, this is a funny Eric thing.
Speaker 2: But this started to going.
Speaker 1: There's like a middle part where you don't like it, but then really where it goes goes you actually do like it.
Speaker 2: I do correct, okay, because.
Speaker 3: It gets so absurd by that point that but it's also it's not only becomes so absurd, but we're also all to together in the college, so it's like we're doing scenes where it's all of us and Eric is just one of the absurd. I mean to bring it to friends, It's like it would be different if five of them were doing one episode and then they cut to Joey being stupid, like that makes it a completely different show. Whereas when we were all together and you know, it's everything's going on and Eric is there being stupid. I not only was fine with that, I love that. I thought that was great because it was just another flavor to an entire ensemble cast. I didn't like it when it was like there was one show going on and then it was just cut to Eric for a couple pages being stupid.
Speaker 2: That I was not.
Speaker 3: That's where that started to grind to me, where it then was incorporated into the rest of the show and.
Speaker 2: Basically once Madeland and Matt got into the show, because it might have actually happened even a little bit before that, but it's really giving you your own like crew, you know, like they've tried it with with Jason, you know, yes, but like, yeah, it's interesting that they didn't actually pair you with Tony. I mean, well, they paired you with Tony.
Speaker 3: That's why they tried to do it with Bill and a lot of and when they did it worked, but it was but they can't it can't be Eric and Feenie can't be the crew. You know, it's it's you've got Phoene is kind of playing the floater. So that was my that was my only problem. Again, again, I look at it and I think it's funny. It just came to a point where Eric was by himself doing random funny things while the rest of the show was taking place. So when that changed, I was I was happier with it where it was just you know, it made more sense to me. It was just incorporated kind of into the show more so. Yeah, I mean, Jason's gone and it's kind of it's he's just on an island saying jokes. Yeah, So it was just that that will change, and I know it'll change, and I'm happy when it changes. There's I think there's a kind of a mid section here where they're trying to figure out what Eric's going to do. And to the writer's credit, that's why they brought in Matt and Maitland. You know, it's like, all right, let's give especially Matt, let's give Eric somebody to bounce off of all the time.
Speaker 2: And that I think changed the whole ball game. But it's while till we get there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, then we're in the school hall school cafeteria. Even Bertha is giving Corey and Shawn a dirty look over Janitor Bud's firing. Sean says she hates them. Corey says the word hate is a strong word. Sean then tells him to turn over his bun and it says I hate you, I hate you. Cory says he's a reporter. It's his job to get the story, no matter the consequences. Suddenly Sean falls over a plunger. He picks it up and says Janitor's curse man, but Corey says, there's no such thing and they should enjoy I know there is going to.
Speaker 4: Be a runner, whereas Shawn's constantly getting you know, screwed by the Janitor's Curse.
Speaker 2: I thought that would have been funny.
Speaker 4: And this is also a weird like why does Sean have no responsibility for the rest of the episode at this point, Like the two of them have done this thing together, and then it just becomes a quiry issue for the rest of the episode. Like even in this scene it becomes Eli and Turner talking about how bad Matthews is taking a beating.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Sean, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I think it's because they wrote it in such a way where Corey is now he still doesn't know if he did something good or he did something bad, where Sean has made up his mind.
Speaker 2: Jane or Bud, should I feel bad? We shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 3: Like, he's picked a side, and so everybody who's picked a side, I think, you know what they're thinking, whereas Corey is still wishy washy and trying to figure out did I do something good? Did I do something bad? I don't even know what's happening. So they're following that all because everyone picked a side.
Speaker 1: Already they were they're kind of separating it, like it was Corey's idea to follow Joey to find a story, so it was his idea of how to get to this place. And then he's the one who did the reporting, and you're kind of the camera guy, so even though it's your class project, it's a little more. Kory's the one who said, let's follow this guy and get to the source of this whatever the whatever they can find.
Speaker 2: So I think that's a little part of it.
Speaker 1: And then I think the other half of it is what Will said that you're you're very much on the side of like, man, that sucks.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was going to happen.
Speaker 3: And then they go try to sit down and have their lunch with two fifty year old Men's exactly what I wrote.
Speaker 2: They try to sit at the table.
Speaker 1: But the other student, a forty seven year old man we've never seen in school before, knocks the chair over.
Speaker 2: Is this guy he's my age now, I mean seriously seen him earlier. I had actually written down a note in the first cafeteria scene. He's the first extra wall really right before you see Leonard, you see this guy that exact guy cross frame, and I was like, whoa, why is the fifty year old I literally wrote that down and then it pays off here that he's like this tough guy, so I guess that's why they had him there.
Speaker 3: But he looks like every high school student in the nineteen eighties movie where they're in their forties.
Speaker 1: Yes, so Sean says that was the last table and they should get out of there, but Corey says it's going to take someone a lot bigger to push Corey Matthews around. And then a really tall, also forty seven year old man stands up in front of Corey, and Corey says, we have a winner. The boys run out of the cafeteria. Why is the Calf so busy with old men today? It's old men day. It's old men day at the Calf, and we've been in this calf unless this is on a different floor. We've been in this calf a lot to Penga's never there. Where does the panga in the quad on the grass with the flowers right.
Speaker 2: Next to the pigs.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand where where all these people came from. But anyway, mister Williams says, Corey is really taking a beating, but mister Turner says he had it coming at the cost of Janitor Bud's firing. Turner says, that's the assignment and he did what he was given. It's the news business. But william says, this is school and their kids, and Turner just says, exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh, now, so good.
Speaker 4: It is so cool to see, you know, the progression of teachers learning how to be teachers that we've had, where we have Feenie in second season teaching Turner, and now we get to see Turner teaching yeah. And he's never been a teacher. Yeah, And and and have him sort of walk into this trap, and to have Tony just sort of be like exactly and not hit it too hard to just be It's so good. It is such smart writing and smart acting and I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved this whole beat.
Speaker 1: I did too, And I also love that at the end, Alex the sayer just does lets his eyebrows do the talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also think we need to possibly start a new category coming up, because there was two in this episode of Eli's Ties.
Speaker 2: Ah, I know I have a note about that. Is it the beatles the bit? I don't know it looks but it's awesome whatever it is?
Speaker 1: Cool? Yeah, Well, then we're in the Matthew's kitchen. Corey is telling his parents when he's doing the report. When he was doing the report, it seemed like the right thing to do, and part of him still thinks it is, but everyone at school thinks he's a jerk. He asks Amy and Allan if he was right or wrong, and at the exact same time, Alan says right, but Amy says wrong, And again love it.
Speaker 4: Has there ever been a more perfect beat to describe boy meets World awesomeness? No, go to your parents with a quandary and the two of them look at you and say the exact opposite thing at the same time.
Speaker 2: That is like, Yes, that's what I want.
Speaker 4: I want to see everybody being human and struggling and parents, father, does not know best right board just has an opinion and is figuring it out. And like later we have Eli say adults don't know either. I just love this aspect. That's why this episode went right to like top of my list. Same good because it's so cool to not shy away from that complexity and ambiguity and really just that's the point their characters figuring it out.
Speaker 2: I love it. Love couldn't agree with you more, just agree. That's why I wanted to be a part of it. Damn it. Amy and Allen start debating.
Speaker 1: Amy and Allen start debating about the topic. Corey says he's getting mixed signals from them. Alan says, this isn't.
Speaker 2: About you, Cory, which I love. Again, They're now like, hold on, forget you. I got to talk to you. Why do you think that? But for two seconds, just I'm sorry, very very quickly, and it has to be very brief.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Do you think he did something wrong? Of course? Yeah, I mean not wrong. He didn't do anything wrong. I think.
Speaker 1: I think if you are, I don't know. I think people are allowed a certain amount it. Yeah, it is, it's complex. I think that people.
Speaker 2: It's funny though.
Speaker 1: Later when we had when he has the scene with Eli, it's actually the thing that you know, sparked what kind of what we talked about in our pre show chatter, which was I feel very similarly about this episode as I do even.
Speaker 2: About our podcast MMM. I have had a certain amount of.
Speaker 1: Concern, anxiety or guilt around just sharing people's truths and how sometimes one person's truth makes somebody else sound bad or and I truly don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't That's never been our intention.
Speaker 1: And I think, what's If there's anything I've learned through doing the podcast, it's that we are all bad, we are all good, we have all been right, we have all hurt people. We have all been living in our own, you know, myopic universes where we don't realize how our universes interact with other people's universes, and and and so that this episode really speaks to some of the anxiety I have around giving a platform to people sharing their stories. I think it's important, and I think it's it's very eye opening, and I hope it has sparked conversations about everyone's own childhoods, teenagehoods, friendships, romantic relationships, and has maybe made people look back on some of their lives and go, oh, maybe I wasn't a victim there, maybe I was, maybe I did have a hand in this, or maybe you know what, this thing I took responsibility for I shouldn't have taken responsibility for or any of those things.
Speaker 2: So that's my long winded answer to your question.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Yeah, I think I think it's it's a question of uh scale, right, Like, if they had like the idea of doing a report exposing something bad that an employee is doing it at school, it makes perfect sense. It's the fact that they're rushed and they do it right to television, right, Like, that is the problem. If you if if they were to do this report, go to ELI and say, mister Williams, we have this, it would have gone to Bud to get his response, right to defend himself or explain himself or not, and it would have gone through. Like, but the problem is that it just gets instantly put into the world. It's just televised, and so that's and that's Eli's fault, right, So I think I don't think that there's a problem.
Speaker 2: With exposing this.
Speaker 4: They they just didn't need to publicly shame but they could have just done their report and gone to mister Feenie and said, did you know your employee is doing this? But instead they're sort of profiting off of it, not really, but they're benefiting by like it's right. It becomes about them as opposed to the issue, which is, you know, the problem with a lot of media is that becomes about like the personality of the person.
Speaker 2: It's sensationalized more than you yes, yeah, yeah, what do you think will? I don't know? Again, I don't know. That's why this episode is so good and that so well written.
Speaker 3: It's I you know, at the end of the day, they caught a guy who was doing something pretty wrong, and they didn't and they I because I didn't remember the episode. I was expecting Joey to be like, do you know where he's going? He's going to you know, like a hospital, or he's going he's got a friend, he's sick.
Speaker 2: I thought that's but they didn't. They took it to where he's going.
Speaker 3: So this guy's skipping out on work four or three and a half hours, four hours early.
Speaker 2: To go to the track every day. I bet you, I will, I will bet anything. No, Michael.
Speaker 4: That was the original script if the original draft of the script or the original draft of the pitch was that, you know, they get the buzzy he's going for and then it's just going to get cancer treatments orstic Yeah, right, And Michael, to his credit, as he would always have done, it's like, that's the easy thing.
Speaker 2: Let's make it more complicated, more complicated.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't that be a joke that j always sets that up, but then move completely away from that and make helping Janitor Bud a saving grace for Feeni in this like really interesting way. Yeah, that that is total Michael Jacob's magic to me, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to me.
Speaker 3: To me, the answer was this entire episode was actually about Eli. Yeah, and that's what that's where. So that's where I was looking was this is a whole lesson for Eli more than anything else, and so looking at it that way, it's really not about Corey at all. But it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very, very very good a story, really, I love it.
Speaker 1: Eric runs in at the last minute and says he got a letter from the University of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Amy asks if he was accepted.
Speaker 1: But Eric says, better, they want to study me, and he runs upstairs, and then we're in the school hallway to Pega tells Corey she hopes everyone starts giving stops giving him a hard time, and Corey says, people have short memories. Then he opens his locker to see a giant dead fish hanging inside.
Speaker 2: To Pengo, your reaction to this dead fish is one of my favorite things I have ever seen. Oh I love it so good.
Speaker 4: I watched it like five times where she's just like that, she like shutters and I did you do you think it was your actual reaction?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think I thought it was over the top.
Speaker 1: But I also I could put myself in the shoes of myself in that moment, and I think what bummed me out watching it was that I react before the audience sees it. But that is real because the locker opens toward to pegu see the door, so the camera from the camera POV you wouldn't see it until topegat already seen it. So my first thought was, what is she reacting to? Oh, that's what she's reacting to. It felt a little big to me, but it was great. Mean, I think it's hysterical. I almost thought that they had that we had a real fish and that.
Speaker 2: I do you think it may have been a real fish. I do, seem.
Speaker 4: Realises how to close it, and he's like at the end, we had probably been rehearsing all week without anything, so I thought maybe they'd actually shocked you by maybe it being the first time, and you were like, oh my god, it's real, you know, like you have such a good reaction.
Speaker 3: You knew something was coming just the way that Ben like, oh, you open the locker. So it's like, hey, I'm on this side to make sure everybody.
Speaker 2: Can see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Tabanka kisses Corey and then walks off, and there's a big lady from the audience. Quickly she's already out out of there. Mister Williams walks over in a tie that gives mister Turner a run for his money.
Speaker 2: Is it like the Beetles?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: The face was looking it looked like it looked like the Beatles to me.
Speaker 1: It was so mister Williams sees the big old fish and Corey's soccer big old fish coversus.
Speaker 2: His nose, and I pulled that clip as well, because I love it. It's it that's a big old fish. I such a that's a big old fish. That's a big old fish.
Speaker 5: Oh man.
Speaker 1: So Corey tries to push the fish into the locker, but he can't really quite figure out how to do that, and he just leaves it. And then we're in the newsroom and mister Williams asked Corey, how's life? But Corey says he doesn't know. Mister Williams says Corey doesn't deserve all the grief over Janitor Bud, and Corey agrees, saying, I.
Speaker 2: Was just wondering where's Sean?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Sean getting harassed in his locker, I guess because Corey was in the face of was was the But But then wouldn't Eli be talking to Corey and Sean like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got their assignment? Yeah, you're right, you think I just had this? Like why why am I not part of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't no offense, I didn't miss you. But I but you're right, you should have as part of the as part of the assignment.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I feel like this is typical Corey Sean Right, we do a radio show, we a rise in It together, and we did do this thing together and it's it's bizarre to me that I'm just not even. It would also add to the humor. I think, like if Sean were you could have a couple one off stupid Sean jokes in this and.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, it's weird, it's a it's a little bit of a missed opportunity there. Corey agrees, saying he was just a reporter doing his job, and mister william says he doesn't have a job. He's in school and that's where he messed up. Mister Williams says he's supposed supposed to teach Corey about the news business, not put him in it, but Corey is still asking if he was right or wrong. Corey says he is proud of his report but feels bad for Bud. He didn't mean for him to lose his job, and mister william says, welcome to the news business. It's a tough game when you care, but there isn't always a clear right or.
Speaker 2: Wrong, and Corey says, but I'm a kid, I want it both ways, and mister Williams reveals that the adults do too perfect and that's perfect. It's awesome set of laws. Yes, yes, yes, this great writing, writing, right acting, yep, so perfect, just beautiful, straight.
Speaker 4: Out of season one. It's it's like all the themes of the show. Ben throwing his hands up and being like, somebody please give me an easy answer, and an adult saying it's not you can't.
Speaker 2: That is such thing. Yeah, in a nutshell, that is is great our show. So then we're in mister Feeney's office.
Speaker 1: Poene is repeatedly buzzing his secretary for another cup of coffee when mister Williams and Corey walk in. Mister Williams starts to nicely talk about janitor buds firing, but Corey jumps in and says, just give the old gambler his job back.
Speaker 4: I Pene's not understand what Ben said. He said gamblers so far. I thought he was like saying some slang term for like an old geezer or gamble. He's like, what is this word?
Speaker 2: I went back and a gambler, gambler.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Phoene says they should save their breath and the matter is closed. Mister Williams says it's his fault and he should have screened the videos, but Phoene says it did go on air. And to the entire school board. He had no choice but to do what he did. Mister william says, in only two months, Bud would retire with a full pension. Cory asks Feoene how he can do that to a man who saved his life, but Phoene says, for the love of God, I saw the wax. Corey says he always thought Feoene had a heart of gold. But and before he can finish, Janitor Bud comes in and hands Feeney his cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: Bud tells him go easy on the buzz on the buzzer.
Speaker 1: And obviously Phoene hired Bud as his secretary, who now dresses very fancy to be a secretary.
Speaker 2: Tapperman dress it up to be a secretary means also, is that what he wears to the race track? This is gambling pony hat. You would put that on with the nice hat. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Mister Williams says two months, huh, before Bud pops back in and reminds Phoene to use a coaster, and Phoene says, blast, my heart of gold.
Speaker 2: This is the payoff for those looks that they get too. Yeah, that's great. And then we're back in the lab.
Speaker 1: A bunch of multicultural scientists from all over the world are watching Monique monitor.
Speaker 2: Eric their hats case we don't get it, putting on a sombrero, and you know, she also flat out says from all over the world.
Speaker 1: Yep, they are watching Monique monitor Eric's brain while he sleeps, showing there is no brain activity.
Speaker 2: She assures everyone Eric is not dead and then wakes him up.
Speaker 1: Monique says he is the most content person without a care in the world, calling him one of a kind. Eric asks how the mouse is doing, who is showing brain activity while he sleeps. Monique says he has fears, hopes, dreams, goals, and Eric says, poor little guy.
Speaker 2: And that's it. That's that's our show, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I I love this episode. I know will I love the to me, I know, I actually still like your story too. I think it's cute and it's not it doesn't I don't know, I love it. It's I think it's funny and I think it helps set up I just think it's kind of a crazy idea that there's no brain activity, but it's funny.
Speaker 2: It's funny for what we come to know igat Eric, I get it just kind of on an island. You know, It's just how it is for a little while. I'm okay with it for now. Well, thank you.
Speaker 1: All for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. You can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: And we have merch Marcansius. That that's Spanish. Markis I don't know if I said it right. I'm going to get k Danielle is going to get letter Marquansias. Is that.
Speaker 2: Spanish?
Speaker 1: Well, you guys can join us also for our next episode recap, which will be season three episode eight, rave on It originally aired November.
Speaker 2: Seventeenth, nineteen ninety five. Writer send us out, We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Will Fernell and Ryder Strong executive producers, J Karp and Amy Sugarman executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbach, producer, Jackie Rodriguez engineer and boy meets World superfan Easton Allen.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon.
Speaker 4: You can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or send us an email at Podmeats Worldshow at gmail dot com.